2018 NBCA 15, 2018 NBCA 15
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 45-17-CA T.M.D. APPELLANT T.M.D. APPELANTE - and - - et - J.P.G. RESPONDENT J.P.G. INTIMÉ T.M.D. v. J.P.G., 2018 NBCA 15 T.M.D. c.
J.P.G., 2018 NBCA 15 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Richard The Honourable Justice Green The Honourable Justice Baird CORAM : l’honorable juge Richard l’honorable juge Green l’honorable juge Baird Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: April 4, 2017 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : le 4 avril 2017 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: Unreported Décision frappée d’appel : inédite Preliminary or incidental proceedings: N/A Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : s.o.
Appeal heard: November 29, 2017 Appel entendu : le 29 novembre 2017 Judgment rendered: March 15, 2018 Jugement rendu : le 15 mars 2018
Reasons for judgment by: The Honourable Justice Baird Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge Baird Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Richard The Honourable Justice Green Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Richard l’honorable juge Green Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: Monique Veillette For the respondent: Céline Robichaud Fournier Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appelante : Monique Veillette Pour l’intimé : Céline Robichaud Fournier THE COURT The appeal and the cross-appeal are allowed. LA COUR Accueille l’appel et l’appel reconventionnel. The judgment of the Court was delivered by BAIRD, J.A. I. Introduction [ 1 ] This appeal concerns the
interpretation and application of ss. 3 and 14 of the Federal Child Support Guidelines , SOR/97-175 ( Guidelines ) which permit a court to award retroactive and prospective child support orders. [ 2 ] The appellant alleges the motion judge assessed child support in an amount that deviates from the Guidelines Table amount without providing reasons for the deviation, as required (s. 3(1)). She submits further that the motion judge’s order with respect to the repayment of arrears was arbitrary, with no analysis, and violates s. 10.
Finally, in the overall result, she contends there were insufficient reasons which, by itself, would be a stand-alone ground of appeal. [ 3 ] The respondent cross-appeals on the grounds the motion judge erred in law and in fact when he required him to contribute retroactively and prospectively towards the payment of special expenses for the children, pursuant to s. 7 of the Guidelines .
Further, he argues the motion judge’s order contravened s. 7(3) of the Guidelines as it failed to consider the tax credits, subsidies or other third party payments available to the appellant in relation to these expenses, prior to establishing the proportionate shares. II. Standard of Review
[ 4 ] The Court has stated that decisions in family matters will be shown deference, unless the decision under review is the product of an error in law, an error in principle, a significant misapprehension of the evidence, or the decision is clearly wrong. J.E.J. v. S.L.M ., 2007 NBCA 33 , 318 N.B.R. (2d) 119 , per Richard J.A., at para. 35. See Lang v. Lang , [2007] N.B.J. No. 348 (Q.L.) , where Richard J.A. adds that a trial judge’s findings of fact will be overturned if there has been a palpable and overriding error in the assessment of the evidence. Appellate intervention is also warranted when there has been an improper
interpretation of the Guidelines . See M.W.M. v. H.L.M ., 2010 NBCA 86 , 366 N.B.R. (2d) 142 , per Quigg J.A., at para.11. [ 5 ] Both the appellant and the respondent assert the motion judge committed reversible error and the decision should be reviewed on the standard of correctness. I agree. III. Factual and Procedural Background [ 6 ] The parties were divorced in 2009. There are four children of the marriage. The outstanding issues between them were settled by Consent Order which formed the basis for the Divorce Judgment and the Order for Corollary Relief which followed.
The Consent Order provided that T.M.D. would have the primary care of the children and they would have scheduled access and visitation with their father. The Order specified the amount of child support to be paid by J.P.G. which deviated from the Table amount set out in the Guidelines . The provision concerning the pro rata sharing of s. 7 expenses enumerated specific extra-curricular activities that would qualify for reimbursement and prohibited either party from adding to that list without mutual consent. [ 7 ] The amount of child support was varied by court order in 2013.
At that time, the motion judge determined the previous order was redundant on the basis the respondent had increased access and visitation with the children, the appellant’s income had increased, as well as “the other considerations described in the Consent Order,” and he fixed child support in the amount of $1,200 monthly, a reduction of $685 from the Table amount. [ 8 ] In May 2016, T.M.D. requested the respondent provide her with copies of his income tax returns for the previous three years.
In July 2016, as a result of J.P.G.’s refusal to comply, T.M.D. filed a Motion to Vary in which she sought a further variation of the child support amount on the basis one of the children no longer qualified as an eligible dependent, and there had been changes in the incomes of the parties as well as changes in the children’s activities. In September 2016, J.P.G. was served. On January 30, 2017, he retired from the RCMP at the age of 49. He now operates a sugar bush business. In March 2017, J.P.G. provided a reply to the Motion along with a Financial Statement and income information.
The motion was heard in March 2017. Noteworthy, J.P.G. did not provide financial disclosure concerning the sugar bush business as required by s. 21(1) (
d) of the Guidelines . [ 9 ] The motion judge rendered his Decision/Order on April 4, 2017. In
summary, the motion judge acknowledged the material change threshold had been met. He referred to the Divorce Act , R.S.C., 1985, c. 3 (2nd Supp.) (“ Act ”) and the Guidelines , and he found J.P.G. had engaged in blameworthy conduct for his failure to provide his income tax returns. Applying D.B.S. v.
S.R.G. , 2006 SCC 37 , [2006] 2 S.C.R. 231 , he decided effective notice was given June 1, 2016, and he retroactively assessed arrears to June 1, 2013. [ 10 ] It is the following conclusions in the motion judge’s Decision/Order that animate this appeal in my opinion: 1. “Not knowing the exact amount of the arrears resulting from a retroactive award, I will defer the analysis of the hardship occasioned by an award until the amounts have been determined.” There was no subsequent undue hardship analysis provided; 2. “For the reasons previously mentioned, and based on the incomes of the parties as well as the shared custody arrangement established in the original Consent Order of 2009 and considered in the Variation Order of 2013 herein, the variation of child support retroactively, is….” The motion judge then varied the child support payments in a “derogated” amount applying the same percentage reduction used in 2013 with no analysis; 3.
The motion judge estimated the amount of arrears to be $32,000; however, he assigned the task of confirming the “exact amount” to the Enforcement Office;
4. The motion judge found the respondent would suffer hardship should he award $1,000 monthly towards the discharge of the arrears as requested by the appellant and determined the arrears would be paid at a rate of $200 monthly with no analysis. [ 11 ] For the reasons that follow, I agree with the appellant the above conclusory findings were not supported by adequate reasons. I will first briefly address the other grounds of appeal; however, I intend to concentrate on the sufficiency of reasons for, in my view, this ground merits further discussion. IV.
Section 3(1) of the Guidelines [ 12 ] The governing principles for the determination of child support or its variation are set out in s. 3 and 14 of the Guidelines and s. 15 of the Act . There is a statutory presumption that child support will be ordered in accordance with the Table amount in the absence of exceptional circumstances. Section 3(1) reads: 3
(1) Unless otherwise provided under these Guidelines , the amount of a child support order for children under the age of majority is (
a) the amount set out in the applicable table, according to the number of children under the age of majority to whom the order relates and the income of the spouse against whom the order is sought; and (
b) the amount, if any, determined under
section 7. 3
(1) Sauf disposition contraire des présentes lignes directrices, le montant de l’ordonnance alimentaire à l’égard d’enfants mineurs est égal à la somme des montants suivants :
a) le montant prévu dans la table applicable, selon le nombre d’enfants mineurs visés par l’ordonnance et le revenu de l’époux faisant l’objet de la demande;
b) le cas échéant, le montant déterminé en application de l’article 7. See Gillespie v. Gormley , 2003 NBCA 72 , 264 N.B.R. (2d) 277 , per Larlee J.A. [ 13 ] Section 17(6.2) of the Act permits a deviation from the Guidelines amount; however, when a court does so, it must state its reasons. In his Decision/Order, the motion judge justified his decision to “derogate” from the Table amount, on the fact there was a prior deviation by consent in 2009 and the fact there was a shared custody arrangement, which there was not.
He states: “I must say I favour maintaining the same proportion of [..] Order [….]” (Transcript at p. 183). This statement does not accord with the motion judge’s finding the wife had met the material change threshold as required. [ 14 ] A prior court order does not preclude a fresh inquiry in the face of a finding of material change. There is nothing in the Record before us to indicate the appellant was aware in either 2009 or in 2013, her former husband would retire from the RCMP at the age of 49, or that he would start a sugar bush operation. In addition, we know the needs of children change as they get older.
Once an evidentiary record establishes the threshold for material change has been met, a court can exercise its jurisdiction to retroactively and prospectively vary an order for child support. As stated in M.K.R. v. J.A.R. , 2015 NBCA 73 , 443 N.B.R. (2d) 313 : In this case, there was an unforeseeable change in M.K.R.’s income following the execution of the consent order in 2010, as well in 2011, as she had relocated and was working again.
The threshold test of material change set out in Willick and G. (L.) was met, and the retroactive variation of the May 2011 order met the objectives of both the Divorce Act and the Guidelines . In these circumstances, the Court was not bound by either of the previous two orders. It is trite to observe that child support is the right of the child ( D.B.S. at para. 167 ). A parent cannot use a court order as a shield to avoid paying the appropriate amount of child support. […] [paras. 18-19]
[ 15 ] In my opinion, the motion judge erred when he relied on the prior court orders to justify his decision to maintain the same percentage deviation from the Table amount with no explanation as to how this result met the objectives of the Guidelines . V. The Arrears A. The Assessment [ 16 ] It is not clear from the evidence what the exact amount of the arrears was at the time of the motion hearing. The appellant submitted they were $52,956.
The motion judge estimated them to be in “the vicinity of $32,000”; however, this amount was calculated by the motion judge, retroactively to 2013, and was based on his “derogation” from the Table amount as noted (Decision /Order at page 4). The motion judge delegated the responsibility of calculating them to the Enforcement Office. This is clearly wrong. When a court assesses arrears, the resulting order must specify the amount of the arrears assessed; otherwise, there is no enforceable order.
There is no authority either in the Act or the Guidelines , which permits the delegation of the assessment of the arrears to an administrative body. The Support Enforcement Office is one of record; i.e., it records the amounts due and owing, and it records the payments on account. The Director of Support Enforcement exercises a quasi-judicial function but only when he or she has an enforceable court order. B.
The Order for the Payment of the Arrears [ 17 ] The appellant submits the motion judge erred when he found that an “all inclusive” monthly payment of $2,800 would “create a hardship upon the respondent.” I agree.
At p. 5 of the Decision/Order, the motion judge found J.P.G.’s conduct to be blameworthy; he stated he did not believe J.P.G. when he claimed undue hardship, yet the motion judge concluded an all-inclusive monthly payment of $2,800 would “no doubt create a hardship.” [ 18 ] In Gillespie , Larlee J.A. states: The Guidelines were intended to provide certainty with respect to the amount that the non-custodial parent has to pay to the parent who has the primary care of the child.
However, a payor may invoke undue hardship under s.10 which allows for a departure from the table amount if certain criteria are met, for the purposes of decreasing child support. A recipient may also invoke undue hardship in order to have the amount increased.
Section 10 of the Guidelines sets out the circumstances that a court may consider to determine whether a plea of undue hardship should succeed. It reads as follows: 10.
(1) On either spouse’s application, a court may award an amount of child support that is different from the amount determined under any of sections 3 to 5, 8 or 9 if the court finds that the spouse making the request, or a child in respect of whom the request is made, would otherwise suffer undue hardship.
(2) Circumstances that may cause a spouse or child to suffer undue hardship include the following: (
a) the spouse has responsibility for an unusually high level of debts reasonably incurred to support the spouses and their children prior to the separation or to earn a living; (
b) the spouse has unusually high expenses in relation to exercising access to a child;
(
c) the spouse has a legal duty under a judgment, order or written separation agreement to support any person; (
d) the spouse has a legal duty to support a child, other than a child of the marriage, who is (
i) under the age of majority, or (ii) the age of majority or over but is unable, by reason of illness, disability or other cause, to obtain the necessaries of life; and (
e) the spouse has a legal duty to support any person who is unable to obtain the necessaries of life due to an illness or disability. The circumstances listed above are not exhaustive. However, where the payor seeks to decrease child support set out in the Guidelines,the onus is on that payor to show why the table amount would constitute an undue hardship. In this particular case, in pleading unduehardship and asking for a deviation from the table amount, Mr. Gormley concedes that this essentially is an application for unduehardship by virtue of s. 10(d).
Undue hardship has been defined in the recent jurisprudence. In Van Gool v. Van Gool (1998), (BC CA), 166 D.L.R.(4th) 528; 44 R.F.L. (4th) 314, the British Columbia Court of Appeal explained that the type of hardship contemplated by
Section 10 ofthe Guidelines was “undue”, meaning “exceptional”, “excessive”, or “disproportionate”. Van Gool also spoke of the heavy onus on theparty seeking relief under s. 10 of the Guidelines. At para. 49, the Court refers to the objectives of the Guidelines and their presumptiveapplication: This view of the undue hardship test as establishing a “tough” threshold to meet is also found in Messier v. Baines (1997), (SK KB), 161 Sask. R. 132 (Sask. Q.B.). In that case, the respondent to an application for an order of child maintenance pursuantto the Guidelines, asked for relief under s. 10(2)(
d) on the basis that he had remarried and had the responsibility to support both his newwife and their child, who had health problems. In rejecting the respondent’s application, Wright J. emphasized the objectives of theGuidelines set out in s. 1 (quoted at para. 24 of these reasons) and stated as follows at paras. 10 and 11 of his decision: These objectives will be defeated if courts too readily deviate from the presumptive rule set out in
section 3 of the Guidelines absentcompelling reasons for doing so. Second families, and the associated legal duty to support a child of that family, are not uncommon. Theassumption of such new obligations may by necessity create a certain degree of economic hardship. That hardship is not howevernecessarily “undue”.
Similarly, the mere fact that an applicant's household standard of living is lower than that of the other spouse, duein part to the applicant’s legal duty to another child, does not automatically create circumstances of undue hardship. [paras. 10-12] [19] The motion judge assessed monthly prospective child support in the amount of $1,800 and added $200 asJ.P.G.’s obligation towards the arrears. This latter amount was ordered in consideration of his share of post-secondary expenses for oneof the children. The net effect of the order is to delay the payment of the arrears in full for a period of 13.33 years.
I add here, the motionjudge allowed for an increase represented by the differential reduction in child support as each of the remaining children becameindependent, so as to cap the overall monthly payment at $2,000. This type of order is inconsistent with the objectives of the Guidelines,as well as s. 17 of the Act, which require child support payments to be adjusted when incomes change. [20] In Ms. P.H. v. Mr. P.H., 2008 NBCA 17, 328 N.B.R. (2d) 245, Bell J.A. states: The respondent owed $26,864.39 in arrears of child support as at May 1, 2006.
The arrears accumulated while he wasted assets aspreviously discussed in these reasons. The trial judge ordered the arrears be paid at the rate of $300 dollars per month. However, heoffered no rationale for his conclusion that $300 is reasonable in the circumstances. Furthermore, the monthly payment order was madedespite findings by the trial judge that the respondent had previously been found in contempt of court, had been uncooperative withrespect to child support, and that his credibility was questionable. The Supreme Court, in D.B.S. v. S.R.G.; L.J.W. v. T.A.R.; Henry v.Henry; Hiemstra v.
Hiemstra, [2006] 2 S.C.R. 231, [2006] S.C.J. No. 37, 2006 SCC 37, discusses the nature of the parental obligation tosupport children. It is clear from that case that child support obligations must take priority over personal expenditures. The decision regarding the method by which arrears are to be paid is a discretionary one subject to considerable deference by this Court.
Courts of Appeal may only interfere with the exercise of discretion by a trial judge in the event he or she errs in his or her application of the governing law or principles, seriously misapprehends the evidence, or if the decision is manifestly wrong (see generally, British Columbia (Minister of Forests) v. Okanagan Indian Band , [2003] 3 S.C.R. 371 , [2003] S.C.J. No. 76 (QL) , 2003 SCC 71 ; Boston v. Boston , [2001] 2 S.C.R. 413 , [2001] S.C.J. No. 45 (QL) , 2001 SCC 43 ; S.H. v. V.B. (2007), 321 N.B.R. (2d) 314 , [2007] N.B.J. No. 368 (QL) , 2007 NBCA 69 ; LeBlanc v. St.
Coeur et al. (2007), 313 N.B.R. (2d) 341 , [2007] N.B.J. No. 155 (QL) , 2007 NBCA 32 para. 6 ; Doiron v. Haché (2005), 290 N.B.R. (2d) 79 , [2005] N.B.J. No. 347 (QL) , 2005 NBCA 75 , para. 57 ; and cases cited therein regarding appellate review of discretionary decisions). With respect, I am of the opinion the discretionary decision at issue is open to appellate review on two fronts. Firstly, there is no analysis on the record which indicates the basis upon which the trial judge concludes $300 per month constitutes a reasonable amount toward payment of the arrears in child support.
Given the absence of such an analysis, this Court may justifiably substitute its own conclusions for those of the trial judge. Secondly, I consider the decision to order the retirement of $26,864.39 of accumulated debt via payments of $300 per month, on the facts of this case, to be manifestly wrong and demonstrative of a misapprehension of the evidence. The arrears accumulated without any compensation for interest, and, if the order is allowed to stand, those arrears will be paid without interest over a period of approximately 7 1/2 years.
The appellant must not be placed in a situation in which she finances the respondent's decision to disregard his court ordered financial responsibilities to his children. I am of the view the amount due as of May 1, 2006, being $26,864.39, should be paid in one lump sum payment. [paras. 13-15] [ 21 ] There were no reasons to support the motion judge’s conclusion $200 monthly was reasonable, in the context of J.P.G.’s overall financial situation. There was no comparison of the respective household standards of living, nor did the result conform with the two-part test set out in s. 10 of the Guidelines .
See Gillespie , at paras. 10-14 ; M.C. v. J.O. , 2017 NBCA 15 , [2017] N.B.J. No. 56 , at para. 51 . [ 22 ] An order which establishes how child support arrears are to be paid should not be arbitrary. It must be grounded on the basis of a reasoned and articulated analysis of the financial realities of the parties. A recipient spouse is not a lender or a mortgagee to a payor spouse who owes arrears in support. He or she should not be required to finance the blameworthy conduct of a payor.
In the absence of an analysis with respect to undue hardship, it is not possible for the Court to determine whether this order correctly met the objectives of the Guidelines , as noted. VI. The Cross-Appeal [ 23 ] In 2009, when the parties executed their Consent Order, they listed specific extra-curricular activities they agreed would qualify for a pro rata sharing pursuant to s. 7 of the Guidelines . It was contemplated there would not be a change in the absence of an agreement between them. Since that Order issued, the children’s financial needs have changed considerably.
One of the children no longer qualifies as a dependent, one child is attending university and the other child has changed her extra-curricular activities. T.M.D. requested a reconsideration of s. 7 expenses based on these changes. At p. 7 of the Motion judge’s Decision/Order, he lists the nature of the expenses to be shared, and he establishes the percentages; however, his Order does not track the language of s. 7 , and it is on this basis J.P.G. cross-appeals. [ 24 ] The Guidelines set out the information to be included in a court order when s. 7 expenses are claimed.
A court must list the eligible expenses, the name of the child to whom the expense relates, the amount of the expense, or when the amount is undetermined, the proportions to be paid by each parent (s. 13(e)). Section 7(3) of the Guidelines requires a court to take into consideration any “subsidies, benefits or income tax deductions or credits relating to the expense, and any eligibility to claim a subsidy, benefit or income tax deduction or credit relating to the expense.” See F.M. v.
T.H ., 2016 NBCA 29 , 449 N.B.R. (2d) 240 . [ 25 ] Taking the above into consideration, I conclude the motion judge’s Decision/Order does not comply with s. 13 of the Guidelines . VII. Sufficiency of Reasons [ 26 ] McLachlin C.J.C. in R. v. R.E.M ., 2008 SCC 51 , [2008] 3 S.C.R. 3 , discussed the importance of reasons in the criminal context; however, in my view, these principles are easily imported into civil matters. She concludes: In
summary, the cases confirm:
(1) Appellate courts are to take a functional, substantive approach to sufficiency of reasons, reading them as a whole, in the context of the evidence, the arguments and the trial, with an appreciation of the purposes or functions for which they are delivered (see Sheppard , at paras. 46 and 50; Morrissey , at p. 524).
(2) The basis for the trial judge’s verdict must be “intelligible”, or capable of being made out. In other words, a logical connection between the verdict and the basis for the verdict must be apparent. A detailed description of the judge’s process in arriving at the verdict is unnecessary.
(3) In determining whether the logical connection between the verdict and the basis for the verdict is established, one looks to the evidence, the submissions of counsel and the history of the trial to determine the “live” issues as they emerged during the trial. This
summary is not exhaustive, and courts of appeal might wish to refer themselves to para. 55 of Sheppard for a more comprehensive list of the key principles. [para. 35] [ 27 ] There is a strong public policy rationale behind this conclusion. Litigants are entitled to know on what basis the trier of fact reached his or her decision. Conclusory reasons do not conform to this instruction. In the absence of a full analysis, appellate courts are at a disadvantage, and meaningful appellate review is rendered impossible.
A properly informed litigant is in a better position to assess whether, or not, they wish to appeal a judge’s decision if it has been fully fleshed out. A decision which is conclusory is incomplete. [ 28 ] Litigation is stressful, time consuming and costly. By the time parties prosecute their claims, they have consumed significant private and public resources. A judge owes a duty not only to the parties, but to the administration of justice, to ensure he or she does not pay lip service to the result.
A decision that does not reveal why a judge reached his or her conclusions does not inspire confidence in the result, and can prolong the final resolution, or create re-litigation, such as in this matter. Family litigation is one of the more complex areas of the law. Judges are called upon to decide questions that affect not only the parties to the litigation, but their children as well. The increasing body of jurisprudence in this area is a testament to the evolving state of the law.
The growing number of families who turn to the courts for answers and resolution requires a judicious response that is not only timely and meaningful, but accords with legal principles.
Statistics published by the Government of Canada for the year 2008, revealed that 41% of Canadians would have divorced before their 30 th wedding anniversary, with the attendant issues surrounding the custody of their children, support matters and the division of their property and debt (Statistics are not available following 2011): Mary Bess Kelly, “Divorce Cases in Civil Court, 2010/2011”, Juristat , Statistics Canada catalogue no. 85-002-X (March 2012). [ 29 ] As the Supreme Court states in Van de Perre v. Edwards , 2001 SCC 60 , [2001] 2 S.C.R. 1014 , reasons do not have to be perfect.
A trial judge does not have to mechanically recite every fact in detail; however, he or she needs to demonstrate what evidence was considered, how it was applied to the legal principles considered, and on what basis the order was made. There must be a reasoned analysis. A trial judge owes a duty to litigants to show them he or she was alive to the issues, the factual matrix and that he or she applied the correct legal principles.
A decision cannot be made arbitrarily, and if there is a deviation from normative principles, the judge must provide an explanation why this was deemed appropriate. [ 30 ] The Court has addressed this issue on several prior occasions. Suffice it to say, the sufficiency of reasons is considered a cornerstone of a system of justice that inspires confidence and respect, and is also respectful of the participants. In the absence of reasons, parties, their counsel, and the world, are left to question whether the matter was competently adjudicated.
In my opinion, this is not in the best interests of a system of justice based on the principle of stare decisis. [ 31 ] In P.R.H. v. M.E.L ., 2009 NBCA 18 , 343 N.B.R. (2d) 100 , Larlee J.A. writes: In Van de Perre , Bastarache J. noted that in preparing reasons in custody cases, a trial judge is expected to consider each of the factors outlined in Gordon v. Goertz . However, he went on to state it would be unreasonable to require a judge to discuss every piece of evidence when explaining his or her reasons.
Thus, while a trial judge is not compelled by Van de Perre to discuss each of the factors enumerated in Gordon v. Goertz when evaluating the best interests of the child in a custody or mobility case, it nevertheless remains prudent to refer to the relevant criteria. In Karpodinis v. Kantas (2006) 227 B.C.A.C. 192, [2006] B.C.J. No. 1209 (QL), 2006 BCCA 272 at para. 26 , the Court observed that mobility cases vary infinitely in their fact patterns and no case can provide a complete template
for another. Furthermore, in custody cases, wherein the governing consideration is the best interests of the child, the judicial inquiry isheavily fact-dependent and the decision is ultimately discretionary, the scope of appellate review is strictly limited. An appellate courtwill only interfere if the trial judge acted on some wrong principle or significantly misapprehended the evidence. In Young v. Young (2003), (ON CA), 63 O.R. (3d) 112 (C.A.), [2003] O.J. No. 67 (QL), Laskin J.A. cautionedagainst the use of conclusory reasons in family law cases.
He held that the three main rationales for reasoned decisions from R. v.Sheppard, [2002] 1 S.C.R. 869, [2002] S.C.J. No. 30 (QL), 2002 SCC 26, were also applicable in the family law context. These threerationales are: (1) public confidence in the administration of the justice system; (2) the importance of telling the losing party the reasonsfor having lost; and (3) making the right of appeal meaningful. The importance of sufficient reasons has similarly been affirmed by thisCourt of Appeal in A.M.K.H. v. K.A.M. (2003), 259 N.B.R. (2d) 291, [2003] N.B.J.
No. 171 (QL), 2003 NBCA 33 and Blanchard v.Légère [2009] N.B.J. No. 2 (QL), 2009 NBCA 2. See also Petrowski v. Waskul (2003), 173 Man.R. (2d) 237, [2003] M.J. No. 151 (QL),2003 MBCA 65 at para. 13. In R. v. Walker, [2008] S.C.J. No. 34 (QL), 2008 SCC 34, the Court emphasized that the parties are entitled to know why the judgereached his or her decision, and that reasons must be sufficient to allow for appellate review. However, an appellate court is not tointervene merely because a trial court did a poor job in expressing itself.
The Court held that reasons are sufficient if they are responsiveto the live issues of the case and the parties' key arguments. Sufficiency of reasons must be measured by the degree to which theyrespond to the substance of what was in issue. The live issues of the case must be dealt with, and the basis for the ruling must be clear. The Supreme Court’s most recent pronouncement concerning the issue of adequate reasons for judgment is found in the decision of R. v.R.E.M., [2008] 3 S.C.R. 3, [2008] S.C.J.
No. 52 (QL), 2008 SCC 51, in which McLachlin C.J.C. advocates a functional context-specificapproach to the consideration of adequacy of reasons. Courts of Appeal which are considering the sufficiency of reasons should readthem as a whole, in the context of the evidence, the arguments and the trial, with an appreciation of the purposes or functions for whichthey are delivered. The function of the reasons is to tell the affected parties why the decision was made, to provide public accountabilityand to permit effective appellate review.
The reasons need to show the path the judge followed from the evidence to the factual findingsto the legal conclusions. This approach was followed by this Court in New Brunswick (Minister of Family and Community Services) v.T.L.M. (Litigation guardian of), [2009] N.B.J. No. 19 (QL), 2009 NBCA 8, in which Richard J.A. discusses the question of sufficiencyof reasons to be applied in child protection matters. [paras. 10-13] [32] In Scott v. Renton et al. (1999), (NB CA), 215 N.B.R. (2d) 263, [1999] N.B.J.
No. 306(C.A.) (QL), Drapeau J.A., as he then was, wrote: It is important that a trial judge leave no doubt in the minds of the litigants and any reviewing court as to the facts found by him or her.See this Court’s comment in Bluenose Fisheries Ltd. v. Tabusintac Fish Market Ltd. (1987), (NB CA), 77 N.B.R. (2d)285 […] (C.A.) at p. 289. The disclosure of the basis for the court's decision is an important part of the judicial function.
Surely theparties are entitled to have a decision based upon the judge's consideration of the evidence and findings based on that evidence; areasoned judgment is not only desirable, it is essential if the parties are to be satisfied that the result is other than arbitrary, and if areviewing court is to be given the means of exercising its function. […] [para. 36] See Sheehan v. R., 2010 NBCA 85, 366 N.B.R. (2d) 160, per Green J.A. at para. 10; also N.E.R. v. J.D.M., 2011 NBCA 57, 377 N.B.R.(2d) 147, per Quigg J.A., at para. 23; N.J.P. v.
The Minister of Social Development, 2012 NBCA 3, 382 N.B.R. (2d) 245, per Quigg J.A.,at paras. 6-7. [33] In this matter, the “discernible path leading from the evidence to factual findings and then to legalconclusions”, as described by Larlee J.A. in J.H. v. T.H., 2014 NBCA 52, 422 N.B.R. (2d) 388, at para. 5, was absent. TheDecision/Order does not meet the criteria established in the above jurisprudence.
The purported analysis does not meet even minimalexpectations. [34] At the hearing of the appeal, counsel informed the Court of a practice directive issued in the judicial districtwhere this matter was heard, that perhaps explains how the motion judge came to issue a “Decision/Order” rather than follow thetraditional path whereby a decision is rendered explaining what was decided and why, followed by an order setting out the court’sjudgment.
Pursuant to the memorandum issued to all lawyers, counsel are directed as follows: “[...] you are required to file a draft ordervia email to [...] and a paper copy of said draft order along with your Record on Motion [...].” We note there are no provisions in theRules of Court requiring counsel to file such a document. We also note that the directive appears to require that counsel needlessly spendtime preparing a draft order that may not, in the final analysis, bear resemblance to the final outcome. In my view, this is not aneconomical approach to the resolution of family disputes.
Moreover, a judge cannot escape his or her responsibility of providing
adequate reasons for decision by cutting and pasting from draft orders prepared in advance by counsel. VIII. Disposition [ 35 ] I recognize there are costs, both personal and financial, that result from litigation, and I make this disposition with those costs in mind; however, the decision in its present form cannot stand. If there had been full financial disclosure, as noted, this Court may have been able to make an order assessing the arrears, and provide a rational explanation for the monthly payment; however, we are not able to do so. [ 36 ] I would allow the appeal as well as the cross-appeal.
The decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench Family Division is set aside and the matter is remitted to a different judge for adjudication. See N.E.R. ; S.L.B. v. P.J.O ., 2013 NBCA 52 , 408 N.B.R. (2d) 235 , per Quigg J.A. ; and G.F. v. J.A.C.F ., 2016 NBCA 21 , 449 N.B.R. (2d) 34 . [ 37 ] As both parties have been successful, I would not order costs on the appeal or the cross-appeal. Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par La juge BAIRD I.
Introduction [1] Le présent appel touche l’interprétation et l’application des art. 3 et 14 des Lignes directrices fédérales sur les pensions alimentaires pour enfants , DORS/97-175 ( Lignes directrices ), qui permettent aux tribunaux d’ordonner, rétrospectivement et pour l’avenir, le versement d’aliments au profit d’enfants. [2] L’appelante fait valoir que la pension alimentaire pour enfants a été fixée par le juge saisi de la motion à un montant qui s’écarte de celui que prévoient les tables des Lignes directrices , sans que soient donnés les motifs de cet écart ( par. 3(1) ).
Elle avance en outre que l’ordonnance rendue relativement au paiement de l’arriéré, qui n’est étayée d’aucune analyse, est arbitraire et viole l’ art. 10 . Elle soutient enfin que, dans l’ensemble, les motifs sont insuffisants, ce qui constituerait un moyen d’appel en soi. [3] L’intimé soutient, par appel reconventionnel, que le juge saisi de la motion a commis des erreurs de droit et de fait lorsqu’il a ordonné, rétroactivement et pour l’avenir, qu’il contribue aux dépenses spéciales supportées au profit des enfants en application de l’art. 7 des Lignes directrices .
Il avance également que l’ordonnance du juge contrevient au par. 7(3) des Lignes directrices , parce qu’elle n’a pas pris en compte, avant que soient établies les parts proportionnelles, les crédits d’impôt, subventions ou autres paiements de tiers que l’appelante peut obtenir à l’égard de ces dépenses. II. Norme de contrôle [4] Notre Cour a déclaré qu’une décision rendue en matière familiale appelle la déférence, à moins que la décision qui fait l’objet d’un contrôle découle d’une erreur de droit, d’une erreur de principe, d’une méconnaissance grave de la preuve, ou qu’elle soit manifestement erronée ( J.E.J. c.
S.L.M . , 2007 NBCA 33 , 318 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 119 , le juge d’appel Richard, par. 35). On pourra se reporter également à l’arrêt Lang c. Lang , [2007] A.N.-B. n o 348 (QL) , où le juge d’appel Richard ajoute que les conclusions de fait du juge du procès seront infirmées s’il a commis une erreur manifeste et dominante dans l’appréciation de la preuve. L’intervention d’une juridiction d’appel est justifiée, de même, lorsque les Lignes directrices ont été interprétées de la mauvaise façon ( M.W.M. c.
H.L.M . , 2010 NBCA 86 , 366 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 142 , la juge d’appel Quigg, par. 11). [5] L’appelante et l’intimé affirment tous deux que le juge saisi de la motion a commis une erreur
justifiant d’infirmer sa décision et que la norme de contrôle applicable est celle de la décision correcte. J’en conviens. III. Faits et procédures [6] Les parties ont divorcé en 2009. Quatre enfants sont issus du mariage. Le règlement des questions sur lesquelles les parties demeuraient en désaccord a donné lieu à une ordonnance par consentement, base du jugement de divorce et de l’ordonnance de mesures accessoires qui ont suivi. L’ordonnance par consentement prévoyait que T.M.D. pourvoirait principalement aux soins des enfants et établissait un calendrier de l’accès et des visites auprès du père.
Elle spécifiait le montant de la pension alimentaire que J.P.G. devait verser au profit des enfants, montant qui s’écartait de celui que fixent les tables des Lignes directrices. La disposition portant sur le partage proportionnel des dépenses visées à l’art. 7 énumérait les activités parascolaires pour lesquelles un remboursement pourrait être obtenu et interdisait à l’une ou l’autre des parties d’ajouter quoi que ce soit à la liste sans qu’il y ait eu consentement mutuel. [7] En 2013, le montant de la pension alimentaire pour enfants a été modifié par ordonnance judiciaire.
Le juge saisi de la motion a alors conclu que l’ordonnance précédente se révélait caduque, compte tenu de l’accès et des visites accrus de l’intimé auprès des enfants, de l’augmentation du revenu de l’appelante et des [TRADUCTION] « autres considérations énoncées dans l’ordonnance par consentement »; il a fixé la pension alimentaire pour enfants à 1 200 $ par mois, soit 685 $ de moins que le montant prévu par les tables. [8] En mai 2016, T.M.D. a demandé à l’intimé de lui remettre une copie de ses déclarations de revenus des trois années précédentes.
En juillet 2016, par suite du refus de J.P.G. d’accéder à sa demande, T.M.D. a déposé une motion en modification : elle sollicitait une nouvelle modification des aliments pour enfants, du fait que l’un des enfants n’était plus une personne à charge admissible et que les revenus des parties et les activités des enfants avaient changé. J.P.G. a reçu signification en septembre 2016. Le 30 janvier 2017, celui-ci, alors âgé de quarante-neuf ans, a pris sa retraite de la GRC. Aujourd’hui, J.P.G. exploite une érablière.
En mars 2017, il a produit une réplique à la motion, de même qu’un état financier et des renseignements sur le revenu. La motion a été entendue en mars 2017. Il est à noter que, en ce qui a trait à l’érablière, J.P.G. n’a pas communiqué de renseignements financiers comme l’exige l’al. 21(1)
d) des Lignes directrices . [9] Le juge saisi de la motion a rendu sa décision/ordonnance le 4 avril 2017. En résumé, il a reconnu que le critère préliminaire du changement important était rempli. Il s’est reporté à la
Loi sur le divorce , L.R.C. 1985, ch. 3 (2 e suppl.), ainsi qu’aux Lignes directrices ; il a conclu que J.P.G. avait eu un comportement répréhensible du fait qu’il n’avait pas produit ses déclarations de revenus. Par application de D.B.S. c.
S.R.G. , 2006 CSC 37 , [2006] 2 R.C.S. 231 , il a décidé que la date d’information réelle du parent débiteur avait été le 1 er juin 2016 et il a établi l’arriéré des prestations alimentaires, dont la modification rétroactive prenait effet le 1 er juin 2013. [10] Ce sont les conclusions suivantes de la décision/ordonnance du juge saisi de la motion qui, à mon avis, suscitent le présent appel : 1. [TRADUCTION] « Puisque je ne connais pas le montant exact de l’arriéré résultant de l’ordonnance alimentaire rétroactive, j’entends différer l’analyse des difficultés occasionnées par l’ordonnance jusqu’à ce que les montants aient été déterminés ».
Cette analyse ultérieure, au
chapitre des difficultés excessives, n’a pas été présentée. 2. [TRADUCTION] « Vu les motifs susmentionnés, et compte tenu des revenus des parties et des arrangements de garde partagée établis par l’ordonnance par consentement originale, en 2009, et pris en considération par l’ordonnance modificative de 2013, la modification rétroactive des aliments des enfants est […] » Le juge a ensuite modifié les paiements d’aliments pour enfants et il est arrivé à un montant [TRADUCTION] « dérogatoire » en les réduisant du même pourcentage qu’en 2013, sans donner d’analyse. 3.
Le juge a estimé l’arriéré à 32 000 $; cependant, il a chargé le bureau de l’exécution des ordonnances de soutien d’en déterminer le [TRADUCTION] « montant exact ». 4. Le juge a conclu que l’intimé éprouverait des difficultés si les mensualités de 1 000 $ que l’appelante demandait pour l’acquittement de l’arriéré lui étaient accordées et il a décidé, sans donner d’analyse, que l’arriéré serait payé à raison de 200 $ par mois.
[11] Pour les motifs ci-après, j’estime, comme l’appelante, que les conclusions ci-dessus n’étaient pas étayées par des motifs suffisants. J’examinerai d’abord brièvement les autres moyens d’appel, mais je compte traiter avant tout de suffisance des motifs, car, à mon sens, ce moyen mérite que je m’y arrête plus longuement. IV. Paragraphe 3(1) des Lignes directrices [12] Les principes directeurs de la détermination ou de la modification des aliments pour enfants sont énoncés aux art. 3 et 14 des Lignes directrices et à l’ art. 15 de la
Loi sur le divorce . Une présomption d’origine législative veut que l’ordonnance alimentaire à l’égard d’enfants prescrive le montant que prévoient les tables, sauf circonstances exceptionnelles. Texte du par. 3(1) : 3(1) Unless otherwise provided under these Guidelines , the amount of a child support order for children under the age of majority is (
a) the amount set out in the applicable table, according to the number of children under the age of majority to whom the order relates and the income of the spouse against whom the order is sought; and (
b) the amount, if any, determined under
section 7. 3(1) Sauf disposition contraire des présentes lignes directrices, le montant de l’ordonnance alimentaire à l’égard d’enfants mineurs est égal à la somme des montants suivants :
a) le montant prévu dans la table applicable, selon le nombre d’enfants mineurs visés par l’ordonnance et le revenu de l’époux faisant l’objet de la demande;
b) le cas échéant, le montant déterminé en application de l’article 7. Voir Gillespie c. Gormley , 2003 NBCA 72 , 264 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 277 , la juge d’appel Larlee. [13] Le paragraphe 17(6.2) de la
Loi sur le divorce permet au tribunal de s’écarter du montant des Lignes directrices ; il est cependant tenu, le cas échéant, de donner ses motifs. Dans sa décision/ordonnance, le juge saisi de la motion a justifié sa décision de [TRADUCTION] « déroger » au montant que prévoient les tables en faisant valoir qu’on s’en était écarté par consentement en 2009 et que des arrangements de garde partagée avaient été pris, qui en fait ne l’avaient pas été. Il a mentionné ce qui suit : [TRADUCTION] « Je dois dire que je préfère maintenir la proportion de […] l’ordonnance […] » (transcription, p. 183).
Ces propos ne s’accordent pas avec la conclusion du juge que l’épouse avait satisfait au critère préliminaire du changement important, comme elle le devait. [14] Une ordonnance antérieure n’exclut pas, s’il est conclu à un changement important, qu’une nouvelle analyse soit menée. Rien n’indique, dans le dossier dont nous disposons, que l’appelante savait, que ce soit en 2009 ou en 2013, que les quarante-neuf ans de son ex-époux signifieraient sa retraite et son départ de la GRC, ou qu’il se lancerait dans l’exploitation d’une érablière.
Nous savons également que les besoins des enfants changent à mesure qu’ils grandissent. Dès lors que le dossier établit qu’est rempli le critère préliminaire auquel il faut satisfaire pour montrer qu’un changement important est survenu, le tribunal peut exercer la compétence qui l’habilite à modifier, rétroactivement et pour l’avenir, l’ordonnance alimentaire rendue au profit d’un enfant. Comme notre Cour l’a fait observer dans M.K.R. c.
J.A.R. , 2015 NBCA 73 , 443 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 313 : En l’espèce, il s’est produit un changement imprévisible dans le revenu de M.K.R. après la signature de l’ordonnance par consentement, en 2010, puis en raison de son déménagement et de l’obtention d’un nouvel emploi en 2011. Le critère préliminaire exigeant un changement important, énoncé dans Willick et dans G. (L.) , était donc rempli, et la modification rétroactive de l’ordonnance de mai 2011 répondait aux objectifs tant de la
Loi sur le divorce que des Lignes directrices . Dans les circonstances, ni l’une ni l’autre des deux ordonnances antérieures n’obligeait la Cour. On sait que les aliments sont un droit de l’enfant ( D.B.S. , par. 167 ). Une ordonnance n’est pas un rempart derrière lequel un parent peut s’abriter pour échapper au versement de la prestation alimentaire pour enfants appropriée. […] [par. 18 et 19]
[15] À mon avis, le juge saisi de la motion a commis une erreur lorsqu’il a invoqué les ordonnances rendues antérieurement pour justifier sa décision de maintenir le pourcentage par lequel la pension alimentaire s’écartait du montant prévu par les tables, sans expliquer comment l’écart maintenu répondait aux objectifs des Lignes directrices . V. Arriéré A. Établissement de l’arriéré [16] La preuve n’indique pas clairement quel était le montant exact de l’arriéré lors de l’audition de la motion. L’appelante soutenait que l’arriéré était de 52 956 $.
Le juge estimait qu’il était [TRADUCTION] « d’environ 32 000 $ »; il a cependant calculé ce montant en supposant que l’arriéré courait à compter de 2013 et en appliquant la [TRADUCTION] « dérogation » au montant prévu par les tables dont il a été question précédemment (décision/ordonnance, p. 4). Le juge a délégué au bureau de l’exécution la responsabilité du calcul de l’arriéré. Procéder ainsi est manifestement erroné. Le tribunal qui établit l’arriéré doit rendre une ordonnance qui en spécifie le montant, sans quoi il n’aura pas rendu d’ordonnance exécutoire. Ni la
Loi sur le divorce ni les Lignes directrices n’habilitent à déléguer l’établissement de l’arriéré à un organe administratif. Le bureau de l’exécution des ordonnances de soutien est un bureau d’enregistrement, c’est-à-dire qu’il inscrit dans un registre les montants exigibles et les versements reçus. Le directeur de l’exécution des ordonnances de soutien exerce une fonction quasi judiciaire, mais seulement s’il dispose d’une ordonnance judiciaire exécutoire. B.
Ordonnance de paiement de l’arriéré [17] L’appelante soutient que le juge saisi de la motion a fait erreur lorsqu’il a conclu que des mensualités de 2 800 $ [TRADUCTION] « tout compris » risquaient de [TRADUCTION] « susciter des difficultés à l’intimé ». Je suis du même avis.
À la page 5 de sa décision/ordonnance, le juge a constaté que le comportement de J.P.G. avait été répréhensible; il a indiqué qu’il ne croyait pas J.P.G. lorsqu’il invoquait des difficultés excessives, et pourtant il a conclu que des mensualités de 2 800 $ tout compris risquaient [TRADUCTION] « sans aucun doute de susciter des difficultés ». [18] Dans Gillespie , la juge d’appel Larlee a écrit : Les Lignes directrices visaient à garantir la certitude quant au montant que le parent n’ayant pas la garde doit payer au parent qui est le principal responsable du soin de l’enfant.
Toutefois, le débiteur peut plaider des difficultés excessives aux termes de l’
article 10 , lequel permet de s’écarter du montant prévu dans la table de manière à diminuer la pension alimentaire au profit de l’enfant si certains critères sont respectés. Le bénéficiaire peut aussi plaider des difficultés excessives pour en faire augmenter le montant. L’article 10 des Lignes directrices indique les circonstances qu’un tribunal peut considérer afin de déterminer si la personne qui plaide des difficultés excessives devrait avoir gain de cause. En voici le texte : 10.
(1) Le tribunal peut, sur demande de l’un des époux, fixer comme montant de l’ordonnance alimentaire un montant différent de celui qui serait déterminé en application des articles 3 à 5, 8 et 9, s’il conclut que, sans cette mesure, l’époux qui fait cette demande ou tout enfant visé par celle-ci éprouverait des difficultés excessives.
(2) Des difficultés excessives peuvent résulter, notamment :
a) des dettes anormalement élevées qui sont raisonnablement contractées par un époux pour soutenir les époux et les enfants avant la séparation ou pour gagner un revenu;
b) des frais anormalement élevés liés à l’exercice par un époux du droit d’accès auprès des enfants;
c) des obligations légales d’un époux découlant d’un jugement, d’une ordonnance ou d’une entente de séparation écrite pour le soutien alimentaire de toute personne;
d) des obligations légales d’un époux pour le soutien alimentaire d’un enfant, autre qu’un enfant à charge, qui : (
i) n’est pas majeur, (ii) est majeur, sans pouvoir, pour cause notamment de maladie ou d’invalidité, subvenir à ses propres besoins;
e) des obligations légales d’un époux pour le soutien alimentaire de toute personne qui ne peut subvenir à ses propres besoins pour causede maladie ou d’invalidité. Cette liste de circonstances n’est pas exhaustive. Toutefois, si le débiteur demande une diminution de la pension alimentaire fixée auprofit de l’enfant dans les Lignes directrices, c’est à lui qu’il incombe de montrer pourquoi le montant prévu dans la table lui causeraitdes difficultés excessives. En l’espèce, M.
Gormley, en plaidant des difficultés excessives et en demandant qu’on s’écarte du montantfixé dans la table, admet qu’il s’agit essentiellement d’une requête pour difficultés excessives fondée sur l’alinéa 10d). Les difficultés excessives ont été définies dans la jurisprudence récente. Dans l’arrêt Van Gool c. Van Gool (1998), (BC CA), 166 D.L.R. (4th) 528, 44 R.F.L. (4th) 314, la Cour d’appel de la Colombie-Britannique a expliqué que le genre de difficultés« excessives » envisagées à l’article 10 des Lignes directrices étaient des difficultés « exceptionnelles », « démesurées » ou« disproportionnées ».
Dans l’arrêt Van Gool, il est également question du lourd fardeau de preuve qui incombe à la
partie qui demandeun redressement en application de l’article 10 des Lignes directrices. Au paragraphe 49, la Cour énonce les objectifs des Lignesdirectrices et explique leur application générale : [TRADUCTION]L’arrêt Messier c. Baines (1997), (SK KB), 161 Sask.R. 132 (C.B.R. Sask.), illustre aussi le point de vue selonlequel le critère des difficultés excessives établit des exigences minimales « difficiles » à remplir. Dans cette cause, l’intimé dans unerequête sollicitant une ordonnance alimentaire en faveur d’un enfant en conformité avec les Lignes directrices a demandé unredressement en application de l’alinéa 10(2)
d) pour le motif qu’il s’était remarié et qu’il avait la responsabilité d’entretenir sa nouvelleépouse et leur enfant, qui avait des problèmes de santé. En rejetant la requête de l’intimé, le juge Wright a mis l’accent sur les objectifsdes Lignes directrices énoncés à l’art. 1 (reproduits au par. 24 des présents motifs) et a déclaré ce qui suit aux par. 10 et 11 de sadécision : [TRADUCTION]Les objectifs ne seront pas atteints si les tribunaux s’écartent trop facilement de la règle présomptive énoncée à l’article 3 des Lignesdirectrices sans raisons impératives de le faire.
Les deuxièmes familles, et l’obligation légale d’entretenir l’enfant de cette famille qui yest associée, ne sont pas inhabituelles. Le fait d’avoir ces nouvelles obligations peut forcément provoquer un certain degré de difficultéséconomiques. Toutefois, ces difficultés ne sont pas nécessairement « excessives ». Dans le même ordre d’idées, le seul fait que le niveaude vie du ménage du requérant est inférieur à celui de l’autre époux, dû en
partie à l’obligation légale du requérant envers un autreenfant, ne crée pas automatiquement des circonstances établissant des difficultés excessives. [par. 10 à 12] [19] Le juge saisi de la motion a fixé à 1 800 $ par mois les aliments à verser pour l’avenir au profitdes enfants et il a ajouté 200 $ au
titre de l’obligation imposée à J.P.G. par l’arriéré. Le versement du second montant a été ordonné entenant compte de la part qu’il aurait aux frais d’études postsecondaires d’un des enfants. L’ordonnance a pour résultat de reporterl’acquittement de l’arriéré de 13,33 ans. J’ajouterai ici que le juge a prévu une augmentation correspondant à la diminution graduelle queconnaîtrait le montant des aliments chaque fois qu’un des enfants restants deviendrait indépendant, afin de maintenir le plafond de2 000 $ de la mensualité globale. Ce genre d’ordonnance est incompatible avec les objectifs des Lignes directrices, ainsi qu’avec l’art. 17de la
Loi sur le divorce, qui exigent que les paiements d’aliments pour enfants soient rajustés lorsque les revenus changent. [20] Dans Mme P.H. c. M. P.H., 2008 NBCA 17, 328 R.N.-B. (2e) 245, le juge d’appel Bell a indiquéce qui suit : L’intimé devait 26 864,39 $ en arriéré de pension alimentaire au profit des enfants en date du 1er mai 2006. Cet arriéré s’est accumulépendant qu’il dilapidait des actifs, comme nous l’avons indiqué plus haut dans les présents motifs. Le juge du procès a ordonné lepaiement de l’arriéré à raison de 300 $ par mois. Cependant, il n’a pas expliqué pour quelle raison il avait conclu que la somme de 300 $
était raisonnable dans les circonstances. Par ailleurs, il a ordonné ce paiement mensuel alors même qu’il avait conclu que l’intimé s’était déjà rendu coupable d’outrage au tribunal et s’était montré récalcitrant en ce qui concerne la pension alimentaire au profit des enfants, et que sa crédibilité était douteuse. Dans l’arrêt D.B.S. c. S.R.G.; L.J.W. c. T.A.R.; Henry c. Henry; Hiemstra c. Hiemstra , [2006] 2 R.C.S. 231 , [2006] A.C.S. n o 37 , 2006 CSC 37 , la Cour suprême examine la nature de l’obligation des parents de subvenir aux besoins de leurs enfants.
Il se dégage clairement de cet arrêt que les obligations alimentaires envers les enfants doivent l’emporter sur les dépenses personnelles. La décision concernant la méthode selon laquelle l’arriéré doit être payé est discrétionnaire et notre Cour doit lui accorder toute la déférence qu’elle mérite.
En effet, les cours d’appel ne peuvent intervenir dans l’exercice du pouvoir discrétionnaire d’un juge du procès que s’il commet une erreur dans l’application de la règle de droit ou des principes applicables, s’il commet une erreur significative dans l’interprétation de la preuve ou si la décision est manifestement erronée (voir, en général, Colombie-Britannique (Ministre des Forêts) c. Bande indienne Okanagan , [2003] 3 R.C.S. 371 , [2003] A.C.S. n o 76 (QL) , 2003 CSC 71 ; Boston c. Boston , [2001] 2 R.C.S. 413 , [2001] A.C.S. n o 45 (QL) , 2001 CSC 43 ; S.H. c.
V.B. , [2007] A.N.-B. n o 368 (QL) , 2007 NBCA 69 ; LeBlanc c. St. Cœur et al. (2007), 313 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 341 , [2007] A.N.-B. n o 155 (QL) , 2007 NBCA 32 , par. 6 ; Doiron c. Haché (2005), 290 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 79 , [2005] A.N.- B. n o 347 (QL) , 2005 NBCA 75 , par. 57 ; et les causes citées dans cette jurisprudence qui ont trait à l’examen en appel de décisions discrétionnaires). En toute déférence, je suis d’avis que la décision discrétionnaire en cause est susceptible de révision en appel pour deux raisons.
Premièrement, le dossier ne renferme aucune analyse qui indique sur quoi repose la conclusion du juge du procès selon laquelle la somme de 300 $ par mois est raisonnable pour payer progressivement l’arriéré de pension alimentaire au profit des enfants. En l’absence d’une telle analyse, notre Cour pourrait être justifiée de substituer ses propres conclusions à celles du juge du procès.
Deuxièmement, sur la base des faits en cause, je considère que la décision d’ordonner le remboursement progressif des 26 864,39 $ de dette accumulée au moyen de versements mensuels de 300 $ est manifestement erronée et constitue une interprétation erronée de la preuve. L’arriéré s’est accumulé sans aucun dédommagement au
titre des intérêts, de sorte que, si l’ordonnance est maintenue, cet arriéré sera payé sans intérêts sur une période d’environ sept ans et demi. L’appelante ne doit pas être placée dans une situation où elle financerait la décision de l’intimé de passer outre à ses responsabilités envers ses enfants que lui ont imposées les tribunaux.
Je suis donc d’avis que la somme exigible en date du 1 er mai 2006, qui est de 26 864,39 $, devrait être acquittée en un seul versement. [par. 13 à 15] [21] Le juge saisi de la motion n’a pas étayé de motifs sa conclusion qu’un versement de 200 $ par mois était raisonnable compte tenu de la situation financière générale de J.P.G. Les niveaux de vie respectifs des ménages n’ont pas été comparés et l’ordonnance ne se conformait pas, non plus, au critère en deux parties de l’art. 10 des Lignes directrices. On pourra se reporter à Gillespie , aux par. 10 à 14 , de même qu’à M.C. c.
J.O. , 2017 NBCA 15 , [2017] A.N.-B. n o 56 , au par. 51 . [22] Une ordonnance qui détermine comment un arriéré d’aliments pour enfants sera réglé ne devrait pas être arbitraire. Elle doit reposer sur une analyse expressément motivée des réalités financières des parties. Le conjoint réceptionnaire n’est ni le prêteur ni le créancier hypothécaire du conjoint débiteur dont les prestations alimentaires sont arriérées. Il n’a pas à faire les frais du comportement répréhensible du débiteur. En l’absence d’une analyse au
chapitre des difficultés excessives, il est impossible à la Cour de déterminer si cette ordonnance répondait correctement aux objectifs des Lignes directrices . VI. Appel reconventionnel [23] Dans l’ordonnance par consentement qu’elles ont signée en 2009, les parties ont énuméré des activités parascolaires précises et convenu qu’elles donneraient lieu à un partage proportionnel en application de l’art. 7 des Lignes directrices. Il était prévu qu’il ne serait apporté de changement que d’un commun accord. Depuis que cette ordonnance a été rendue, les besoins financiers des enfants ont considérablement changé.
Dans le premier cas, l’enfant n’est plus un enfant à charge, dans le second, des études universitaires sont en cours et, dans le dernier cas, les activités parascolaires ont changé. T.M.D. a demandé un réexamen des dépenses visées à l’art. 7 en considération de ces changements.
À la page 7 de sa décision/ordonnance, le juge saisi de la motion expose la nature de chacune des dépenses à partager et arrête des pourcentages; son ordonnance ne suit toutefois pas les dispositions de l’art. 7 et l’appel reconventionnel de J.P.G. est interjeté sur ce fondement. [24] Les Lignes directrices indiquent quels renseignements l’ordonnance doit contenir lorsque le
partage de dépenses visées à l’art. 7 est prévu. Le tribunal doit dresser la liste des dépenses admissibles et donner le nom de l’enfant auquel elles se rapportent et leur montant ou, lorsque le montant n’est pas déterminé, la proportion que chacun des parents doit payer ( al. 13e) ). Le par. 7(3) des Lignes directrices exige du tribunal qu’il tienne compte « de tout avantage ou subvention, ou déduction ou crédit d’impôt, relatifs aux dépenses, ou de l’admissibilité à ceux-ci » ( F.M. c.
T.H . , 2016 NBCA 29 , 449 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 240 ). [25] Compte tenu de ce qui précède, je conclus que la décision/ordonnance du juge saisi de la motion ne se conforme pas à l’art. 13 des Lignes directrices . VII. Suffisance des motifs [26] Dans R. c. R.E.M . , 2008 CSC 51 , [2008] 3 R.C.S. 3 , la juge McLachlin, juge en chef du Canada, traite de l’importance des motifs dans le contexte pénal; j’estime toutefois que ces principes se transposent aisément au civil. Elle conclut en ces termes : En résumé, ces arrêts confirment ceci :
(1) Pour déterminer si des motifs sont suffisants, les cours d’appel doivent adopter une approche fonctionnelle, substantielle et considérer les motifs globalement, dans le contexte de la preuve présentée, des arguments invoqués et du déroulement du procès, en tenant compte des buts et des fonctions de l’expression des motifs (voir Sheppard , par. 46 et 50 ; Morrissey , p. 524).
(2) Le fondement du verdict du juge du procès doit être « intelligible », ou pouvoir être discerné. En d’autres termes, il doit être possible de relier logiquement le verdict à son fondement. Il n’est pas nécessaire de décrire en détail le processus suivi par le juge pour arriver au verdict.
(3) Lorsqu’il s’agit de déterminer si le lien logique entre le verdict et son fondement est établi, il faut examiner la preuve, les observations des avocats et le déroulement du procès pour identifier les questions « en litige » telles qu’elles sont ressorties au procès. Ce résumé n’est pas exhaustif et les tribunaux d’appel voudront peut-être se reporter au par. 55 de Sheppard pour une liste plus complète des grands principes. [par. 35] [27] Cette conclusion s’appuie sur de solides considérations d’ordre public. Les plaideurs sont en droit de savoir sur quel fondement le juge des faits est arrivé à sa décision.
Des motifs en forme de conclusions ne répondent pas à cette prescription. Sans une analyse complète, le tribunal d’appel est désavantagé et un contrôle pertinent en appel devient impossible. Si le juge a étoffé son prononcé, le plaideur adéquatement informé est mieux placé pour déterminer s’il souhaite en appeler. Une décision qui se résume à des conclusions est incomplète. [28] Les litiges sont source de stress et demandent temps et argent. Le moment venu de soutenir leurs prétentions en justice, les parties ont déjà mobilisé d’importantes ressources privées et publiques.
Un juge a le devoir, non seulement envers les parties, mais envers l’administration de la justice, de veiller à ne pas s’intéresser qu’en paroles à l’issue de l’instance. Une décision qui n’indique pas pourquoi le juge est arrivé à ses conclusions ne donne pas confiance en l’issue de l’instance, peut repousser un règlement définitif ou susciter de nouveaux litiges, comme dans le cas présent. Les litiges familiaux sont l’un des domaines les plus complexes du droit. Les juges sont tenus de trancher des questions qui touchent non seulement les parties au litige, mais aussi leurs enfants.
La jurisprudence qui s’amplifie, dans ce domaine, témoigne d’un droit en évolution. Le nombre croissant de familles qui cherchent des réponses et un règlement auprès des tribunaux exige une réaction judicieuse, qui non seulement soit pertinente et intervienne en temps opportun, mais encore se conforme aux principes de droit.
Des statistiques publiées par le gouvernement du Canada pour l’année 2008 indiquaient que 41 p. 100 des Canadiens étaient susceptibles de divorcer avant leur trentième anniversaire de mariage, donc d’avoir à régler les questions connexes de la garde de leurs enfants, du soutien alimentaire et de la répartition des biens et des dettes (les statistiques des années postérieures à 2011 ne sont pas disponibles) (Kelly, Mary Bess. « Les causes de divorce traitées par
les tribunaux civils en 2010-2011 », Juristat, produit no 85-002-X au catalogue de Statistique Canada (mars 2012)). [29] Comme la Cour suprême l’a indiqué dans l’arrêt Van de Perre c. Edwards, 2001 CSC 60,[2001] 2 R.C.S. 1014, il n’est pas nécessaire que les motifs soient parfaits. Le juge du procès n’a pas à exposer méthodiquement chacundes faits en détail; par contre, il doit indiquer quels éléments de preuve ont été pris en compte, quelle application de la preuve a été faited’après les principes de droit retenus et sur quel fondement l’ordonnance a été rendue. Une analyse motivée doit être présentée.
Le jugedu procès a le devoir, envers les plaideurs, de montrer qu’il avait connaissance des questions en litige et des faits, et qu’il a appliqué lesbons principes de droit. Une décision ne peut être arbitraire et, si elle s’écarte de principes normatifs, le juge doit expliquer pourquoi ilest apparu approprié qu’elle s’en écarte. [30] Notre Cour s’est penchée sur le sujet à plusieurs reprises déjà. Nous dirons simplement que lasuffisance des motifs est considérée comme une pierre d’assise d’un système de justice qui inspire la confiance et le respect, et qui semontre respectueux des participants.
À défaut de motifs, les parties, leurs avocats, et le monde, en viennent à se demander si l’affaire aété jugée avec compétence. À mon avis, ce n’est pas dans l’intérêt d’un système de justice reposant sur le principe du stare decisis. [31] Dans P.R.H. c. M.E.L., 2009 NBCA 18, 343 R.N.-B. (2e) 100, la juge d’appel Larlee a écrit cequi suit : Dans l’arrêt Van de Perre, le juge Bastarache a souligné que lorsqu’il élabore les motifs de sa décision dans une affaire de garde, le jugede première instance est censé prendre en considération chacun des facteurs mentionnés dans Gordon c. Goertz.
Toutefois, il a ensuite ditqu’il serait déraisonnable d’exiger que le juge analyse chaque élément de preuve lorsqu’il explique ses motifs. Par conséquent, bien quel’arrêt Van de Perre ne contraigne pas le juge de première instance à analyser chacun des facteurs énoncés dans l’arrêt Gordon c. Goertzlorsqu’il évalue l’intérêt de l’enfant dans une affaire ressortissant à la garde ou la mobilité, il est néanmoins prudent de mentionner lescritères pertinents. Dans l’arrêt Karpodinis c. Kantas (2006), 227 B.C.A.C. 192, [2006] B.C.J.
No. 1209 (QL), 2006 BCCA 272, aupar. 26, la Cour a fait observer que dans les affaires soulevant une question de mobilité les situations factuelles varient à l’infini et aucuneinstance ne peut constituer un modèle complet à suivre dans une autre instance. De plus, dans les affaires de garde, où la considérationprimordiale est l’intérêt de l’enfant, où l’examen judiciaire repose en très grande
partie sur les faits et où la décision est, au bout ducompte, discrétionnaire, la portée de la révision en appel est strictement limitée. La cour d’appel n’intervient que si le juge de premièreinstance a agi en s’appuyant sur un principe erroné ou a commis une erreur significative dans l’interprétation de la preuve. Dans l’arrêt Young c. Young (2003), (ON CA), 63 O.R. (3d) 112 (C.A.), [2003] O.J.
No. 67 (QL), le juge d’appelLaskin a fait une mise en garde contre le prononcé de motifs en forme de conclusions dans les affaires ressortissant au droit de la famille.Il a statué que les trois raisons principales militant en faveur de la motivation des décisions qui sont mentionnées dans l’arrêt R. c. Sheppard, [2002] 1 R.C.S. 869, [2002] A.C.S. no 30 (QL), 2002 CSC 26, s’appliquaient aussi en matière de droit de la famille. Cestrois raisons principales sont (1) la confiance du public dans l’administration de la justice, (2) l’importance d’informer la
partie perdantedes raisons pour lesquelles elle n’a pas eu gain de cause et (3) la nécessité de permettre à cette
partie d’exercer valablement son droitd’appel. Notre Cour d’appel a elle aussi réaffirmé l’importance de motifs qui soient suffisants dans les arrêts A.M.K.H. c. K.A.M. (2003), 259 R.N.-B. (2e) 291, [2003] A.N.-B. no 171 (QL), 2003 NBCA 33 et Blanchard c. Légère, [2009] A.N.-B. no 2 (QL), 2009 NBCA 2.Voir aussi l’arrêt Petrowski c. Waskul (2003), 173 Man.R. (2d) 237, [2003] M.J. No. 151 (QL), 2003 MBCA 65, au par. 13. Dans l’arrêt R. c.
Walker, [2008] A.C.S. no 34 (QL), 2008 CSC 34, la Cour a insisté sur le fait que les parties ont le droit de savoirpourquoi le juge en est arrivé à sa décision et que les motifs donnés doivent être suffisants pour permettre une révision en appel.Toutefois, le tribunal d’appel n’est pas habilité à intervenir simplement parce qu’il estime que le tribunal de première instance s’est malexprimé.
La Cour a statué que les motifs sont suffisants s’ils répondent aux questions en litige et aux principaux arguments des parties.Leur suffisance doit être mesurée d’après la réponse qu’ils apportent aux éléments essentiels du litige. Les questions en litige doivent êtreexaminées et tranchées et le fondement de la décision doit être clair. La décision la plus récente de la Cour suprême concernant la question des motifs de jugement suffisants est l’arrêt R. c.
R.E.M., [2008] 3 R.C.S. 3, [2008] A.C.S. no 52 (QL), 2008 CSC 51, dans lequel la juge McLachlin, juge en chef du Canada, préconise une démarchefonctionnelle et contextuelle pour l’appréciation du caractère suffisant des motifs. Le tribunal d’appel qui examine les motifs pourdéterminer s’ils sont suffisants doit les considérer globalement, dans le contexte de la preuve présentée, des arguments invoqués et duprocès, en tenant compte des buts ou des fonctions de l’expression des motifs.
Les motifs ont pour fonction de dire aux parties viséespourquoi la décision a été prise, de rendre compte devant le public et de permettre un examen efficace en appel. Les motifs doiventindiquer le raisonnement que le juge a suivi à partir de la preuve pour en arriver aux conclusions factuelles puis aux conclusions de droit.Notre Cour a suivi cette démarche dans l’arrêt Nouveau-Brunswick (ministre des Services familiaux et communautaires) c.
T.L.M. (tutrice d’instance de), [2009] A.N.-B. no 19 (QL), 2009 NBCA 8, où le juge d’appel Richard examine la question des principesrégissant le caractère suffisant ou non des motifs qui sont applicables en matière de protection de l’enfance.
[par. 10 à 13] [32] Dans l’arrêt Scott c. Renton et al. (1999), (NB CA), 215 R.N.-B. (2e) 263, [1999] A.N.-B. no 306 (C.A.) (QL), le juge d’appel Drapeau, tel était alors son titre, a fait observer ce qui suit : [TRADUCTION]Il est important que le juge du procès ne laisse aucun doute dans l’esprit des plaideurs et de tout tribunal de révision quant aux faits qu’ila constatés. Voir le commentaire qu’a fait notre Cour dans l’arrêt Bluenose Fisheries Ltd. c. Tabusintac Fish Market Ltd. (1987), (NB CA), 77 R.N.-B. (2e) 285 […] (C.A.), à la p. 289.
L’exposé du fondement de la décision du tribunal constitue unepartie importante de la fonction judiciaire. Les parties sont en droit tout de même d’obtenir une décision fondée sur l’examen par le jugede la preuve et sur les conclusions qu’il a tirées de cette preuve; un jugement motivé est non seulement souhaitable, il est essentiel si lesparties doivent être convaincues que le résultat n’est pas arbitraire et si un tribunal de révision doit avoir en main les moyens d’exercersa fonction. [par. 36] Voir Sheehan c. R., 2010 NBCA 85, 366 R.N.-B. (2e) 160, le juge d’appel Green, par. 10; N.E.R. c.
J.D.M., 2011 NBCA 57, 377 R.N.- B. (2e) 147, la juge d’appel Quigg, par. 23; N.J.P. c. La ministre du Développement social, 2012 NBCA 3, 382 R.N.-B. (2e) 245, la juged’appel Quigg, par. 6 et 7. [33] En l’espèce, il manquait aux motifs la « trace visible allant de la preuve aux conclusionsfactuelles et, enfin, aux conclusions de droit », pour emprunter à la juge d’appel Larlee la formule qu’elle a employée dans l’arrêt J.H. c. T.H., 2014 NBCA 52, 422 R.N.-B. (2e) 388, au par. 5. La décision/ordonnance ne satisfait pas aux critères établis par la jurisprudenceprécitée.
Ce qui se veut une analyse ne répond pas même aux attentes les plus modestes. [34] Lors de l’audition de l’appel, la Cour a été informée de l’existence d’une directive de pratique,donnée dans la circonscription judiciaire où la présente affaire a été jugée, qui explique peut-être comment il se fait que le juge saisi de lamotion a rendu une [TRADUCTION] « décision/ordonnance » au lieu de suivre la voie usuelle, qui prévoit que sera rendue une décisionexpliquant ce qui a été arrêté, et pourquoi, et que suivra une ordonnance énonçant le jugement de la cour.
La note expédiée à tous lesavocats leur enjoint de procéder ainsi : « [V]ous devez nous faire parvenir une ébauche d’ordonnance par courriel à [...] ainsi qu’unecopie de cette ébauche d’ordonnance avec votre dossier de la motion ». Nous constatons qu’aucune disposition des Règles de procéduren’exige qu’un avocat dépose semblable document. Nous constatons également que la directive semble exiger de l’avocat qu’il consacreun temps inutile à l’ébauche d’une ordonnance qui pourrait, en définitive, ne pas concorder avec l’issue de l’instance.
Ce n’est pas, à monsens, un moyen économique de règlement des litiges familiaux. De plus, un juge ne peut, par copier-coller de passages tirés des ébauchesd’ordonnance que les avocats ont préparées, se soustraire à la responsabilité de donner des motifs suffisants. VIII. Dispositif [35] Il est vrai que les poursuites ont un coût, à la fois personnel et financier, et le présent dispositiftient compte de ce coût; cependant, la décision, en sa forme actuelle, ne peut demeurer.
S’il y avait eu communication complète desrenseignements financiers, ce qui n’a pas été le cas, nous l’avons vu, peut-être notre Cour aurait-elle été en mesure de prononcer uneordonnance où l’arriéré aurait été établi et de donner une explication rationnelle du versement mensuel arrêté; elle ne le peut toutefoispas. [36] Je suis d’avis d’accueillir l’appel, de même que l’appel reconventionnel. La décision de laDivision de la famille de la Cour du Banc de la Reine est annulée et l’affaire est renvoyée à un juge différent qui sera chargé de statuer (N.E.R.; S.L.B. c.
P.J.O., 2013 NBCA 52, 408 R.N.-B. (2e) 235, la juge d’appel Quigg; G.F. c. J.A.C.F., 2016 NBCA 21, 449 R.N.- B. (2e) 34).
[37] Les deux parties ayant obtenu gain de cause, je ne condamnerais ni l’une ni l’autre aux dépens de l’appel ou de l’appel reconventionnel.