2016 NBCA 71, 2016 NBCA 71
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 49-15-CA D.M.S. APPELLANT D.M.S. APPELANT - and - - et - HER MAJESTY THE QUEEN RESPONDENT SA MAJESTÉ LA REINE INTIMÉE D.M.S. v. R., 2016 NBCA 71 D.M.S. c.
R., 2016 NBCA 71 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Richard The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice French CORAM : l’honorable juge Richard l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge French Appeal from a decision of the Provincial Court: Appel d’une décision de la Cour provinciale : February 20, 2015 (conviction) May 15, 2015 (sentencing) History of Case: le 20 février 2015 (déclaration de culpabilité) le 15 mai 2015 (détermination de la peine) Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: Unreported Décision frappée d’appel : inédite Preliminary or incidental proceedings: N/A Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : s.o.
Appeal heard: November 24, 2016 Appel entendu : le 24 novembre 2016
Judgment rendered: November 24, 2016 Reasons delivered: March 16, 2017 Jugement rendu : le 24 novembre 2016 Motifs déposés : le 16 mars 2017 Reasons for judgment by: The Honourable Justice Quigg Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge Quigg Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Richard The Honourable Justice French Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Richard l’honorable juge French Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: Jean Eugène Trahan For the respondent: Kathryn Gregory Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appelant : Jean Eugène Trahan Pour l’intimée : Kathryn Gregory THE COURT On November 24, 2016, the appeal was allowed and charges stayed, with reasons to follow.
These are the reasons for decision. LA COUR A accueilli l’appel et ordonné l’arrêt des procédures le 24 novembre 2016, et indiqué que des motifs suivraient. Voici ces motifs. The judgment of the Court was delivered by QUIGG, J.A. I. Introduction [ 1 ] On April 19, 2010, D.M.S. was charged with six criminal offences. More than five years would elapse before the Provincial Court would finally dispose of those matters. It was only on May 15, 2015, that D.M.S. was sentenced on all six counts. D.M.S. appeals the conviction on several grounds.
Prime among those is his submission that he was not afforded the right to be tried
within a reasonable time, that is, the right guaranteed to all by s. 11(
b) of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. [2] Following the hearing, the Court issued a brief oral decision allowing the appeal and staying the chargesagainst the appellant, with reasons to follow. I unhesitatingly joined with my colleagues in rendering the decision. The following sets outmy reasons for reaching that conclusion. II. Procedural Background [3] D.M.S. was charged on April 19, 2010, with six counts alleging criminal conduct: sexual assault (s. 271(1)(a)); two counts of assault with a weapon (s. 267(a)); incest (s. 155(1)); sexual interference (s. 151(a)); and assault (s. 266(a)).
Theconduct in question is alleged to have taken place on some unspecified dates between 1990 and 1996, inclusively. D.M.S.’s firstappearance in the Provincial Court was on May 4, 2010. He had difficulties securing legal counsel through Legal Aid and had to resort toan application for funding known as a Rowbotham application, so named because it derives from the decision in R. v. Rowbotham, (ON CA), [1988] O.J. No. 271 (C.A.) (QL). His application was not heard until August 24, 2010. Eventually, Legal Aidapproved funding. It was only on November 26, 2010, that D.M.S. elected his mode of trial.
He elected to be tried before a courtcomposed of a judge and jury after a preliminary inquiry. The inquiry was scheduled for June 10, 2011, and later rescheduled for June16. However, on that date, D.M.S. waived the preliminary inquiry and re-elected to the jurisdiction of the Provincial Court. [4] After the re-election, the matter was repeatedly adjourned, for various reasons. Many of these related todisclosure issues. On April 16, 2012, D.M.S. applied for a stay of proceedings on the ground his trial had not been held within areasonable time. His motion was not heard until December 4, 2012.
On January 15, 2013, the motion was dismissed. The judgedetermined the delay, up to that point, had not infringed D.M.S.’s s. 11(
b) Charter right. [5] Trial commenced on August 20, 2013. After three days, it was adjourned. It was to resume on October 2,2013, but was further adjourned, first to November 4 and again to various dates in 2014 on which requests for adjournments weregranted for a variety of reasons. Trial did not resume until October 2 and 3 and then October 28, 2014, to complete the presentation ofevidence. Arguments were heard on November 21, 2014, and a verdict was rendered on February 20, 2015. Sentencing did not take placeuntil May 15, 2015. [6] D.M.S. appealed conviction.
His appeal was heard on June 13, 2016, with judgment reserved. On July 8,2016, the Supreme Court of Canada issued its decision in R. v. Jordan, 2016 SCC 27, [2016] S.C.J. No. 27 (QL), wherein it significantlyvaried the framework that had been elaborated in R. v. Askov, (SCC), [1990] 2 S.C.R. 1199, [1990] S.C.J. No. 106 (QL)and R. v. Morin, (SCC), [1992] 1 S.C.R. 771, [1992] S.C.J. No. 25 (QL). Jordan provides a new analytical frameworkfor determining whether a delay, between the point when an accused is charged and the date of the anticipated end of his or her trial, isreasonable under s. 11(
b) of the Charter. The Supreme Court has set out new presumptive ceilings depending upon the level of court inwhich the trial is to be heard and whether or not there was a preliminary inquiry. To summarize briefly, if trial has proceeded inProvincial Court, the ceiling is 18 months. This presumptive ceiling increases to 30 months if the case proceeds in Superior Court orProvincial Court after a preliminary inquiry. Delays attributable to or waived by the accused are not counted toward these limits. Oncethe threshold is exceeded the burden is upon the Crown to rebut the unreasonableness of the delay.
If the Crown cannot meet thisrequirement, a stay must be granted. [7] Considering the new framework delineated in Jordan, this Court inquired whether counsel wished to provideadditional written and oral submissions. Counsel for the Attorney General filed additional written submissions while counsel for D.M.S. advised he would make oral submissions. Thus, a further hearing was held on November 24, 2016. III. Grounds of Appeal [8] D.M.S. raises four grounds of appeal. His primary focus, however, is that he was not tried within areasonable time as required by s. 11(
b) of the Charter. He submits the judge who ruled on his s. 11(
b) Askov motion erred in failing tofind an infringement and order a stay of proceedings. The appellant also took issue with the trial judge’s application of R. v. W.(D.), (SCC), [1991] 1 S.C.R. 742, [1991] S.C.J. No. 26 (QL), and submits the judge erred in law by reversing the burden of proof,therefore requiring the appellant to disprove his guilt. Finally, he submits the trial judge erred in law when he failed to explain how heresolved contradictions in the evidence which, he claims, should have given rise to reasonable doubt.
[ 9 ] As I would give effect to the first ground of appeal, it is not necessary for me to address the others. What follows is the analysis leading to my conclusion that the judge erred in not finding a violation of D.M.S.’s s. 11(
b) Charter right. IV. Analysis [ 10 ] In his pre- Jordan submissions, D.M.S. asserted the delay in this case was not reasonable. According to him, the total delay from May 4, 2010, to December 4, 2012, is 943 days, of which 244.5 days are attributable to him; 91.5 days attributable to the Crown; 389 days attributable to institutional delay; and 218 days attributable to inherent delay. These calculations do not take into consideration the delay which occurred after December 4, 2012, because D.M.S. was addressing the ruling on his motion for Charter relief that was heard on that date.
In his post- Jordan submission, D.M.S. reiterated these figures, delineated the delay that occurred after December 2012, and takes the position that the total delay in this case was not reasonable. [ 11 ] In her pre- Jordan submissions, counsel for the Attorney General argued there was no error in the judge’s ruling on D.M.S.’s motion for Charter relief. In her submission, the trial judge concluded the delays were reasonable in the circumstances, given the nature and complexity of the case.
In her post- Jordan submission, counsel for the Attorney General argued the Court should take a step back and make a global assessment. In so doing, she submitted the net delay, after the defence delay is deducted, is 32 months. Because the delay is above the presumptive ceiling set by the Supreme Court in Jordan , counsel for the Attorney General agreed the onus was now upon her to establish the exceptions for transitional cases did apply in this case.
She submitted this case involved discrete events and was a complex case: an example given of a discrete event was D.M.S.’s application or reapplication for Legal Aid. She also submitted there was nothing on the record to suggest the defence was pushing to bring the case forward. [ 12 ] In my view, and with respect, there is a significant error in the trial judge’s decision regarding D.M.S.’s application for Charter relief. The error stems from the fact that the judge did not consider the time it would take from the date of D.M.S’s motion to the reasonably anticipated date the matter would end.
In Morin , Sopinka J. explained that the factor relating to the length of the delay “requires the court to examine the period from the charge to the end of the trial” (p. 789). This is retained in the new framework. In Jordan, the majority speaks of “the total delay from the charge to the actual or anticipated end of trial” (para. 47). The judge clearly erred when he only considered the delay from the re-election to the jurisdiction of the Provincial Court to the time D.M.S. sought Charter relief.
He should have added to the time he was examining the time it would take to the anticipated end of trial. [ 13 ] Since the judge’s decision is the result of errors of principle, it must be set aside and it falls to this Court to undertake the analysis and determine whether there was a violation of s. 11(
b) of the Charter . In doing so, we benefit from a complete record and are not left with having to anticipate a date to the end of the matter. We now know the delay from the charge to the actual end of trial was more than five years. From first appearance to verdict, the delay exceeded four years and nine months. [ 14 ] As mentioned earlier, the Jordan decision was issued on July 8, 2016. It was released together with R. v. Williamson , 2016 SCC 28 , [2016] S.C.J. No. 28 (QL). Because the charges and trial in the case at bar occurred prior to this date, this case is a transitional one as discussed in Jordan .
The majority in Jordan held that “[t]he new framework, including the presumptive ceiling, applies to cases currently in the system, subject to two qualifications” (para. 95). In cases where the delay exceeds the ceiling, the first transitional exception applies where “the Crown satisfies the court that the time the case has taken is justified based on the parties’ reasonable reliance on the law as it previously existed” (para. 96).
The second qualification relates to cases in which the total delay falls below the ceiling, which is not the situation in the present case. [ 15 ] In Williamson , the Court delineated the analysis to be undertaken when the case is transitional, such as the one before us. The analysis is the same as that undertaken in Jordan , but goes on to discuss transitional exceptional circumstances: However, since Mr. Williamson was charged before the release of Jordan , we must consider whether the transitional exceptional circumstance applies.
As we said in Jordan , the transitional exceptional circumstance will apply when the Crown satisfies the court that the time the case has taken is justified based on the previous legal framework, upon which the parties reasonably relied. The assessment is necessarily contextual, and should account for the manner in which that framework was applied. In our view, although this is a close case, the transitional exceptional circumstance does not apply and, therefore, the delay is unreasonable. A variety of factors support this conclusion. [paras. 24-25]
[ 16 ] I have not been persuaded that the first qualification outlined by the majority in Jordan has been met. The Crown has not adduced any evidence to enable us to undertake the contextual assessment that might have revealed its application. Thus, the principles of Jordan must be applied. [ 17 ] An interesting twist in the present case is that a preliminary inquiry was scheduled once D.M.S. elected to be tried in a court composed of a judge and jury. On the date set for the inquiry, he waived it and re-elected to the Provincial Court. This resulted in a total delay of 184 days, attributed to him.
This raises the question whether this case falls in the same category as those that actually proceeded with a preliminary inquiry, thus making the presumptive ceiling 30 months. In my view, when an accused makes an election and requires the Provincial Court to
schedule a preliminary inquiry, barring exceptional circumstances such as a very early re- election to be tried by a Provincial Court judge, the case should be treated as one that included a preliminary inquiry even if the preliminary inquiry is eventually waived. The parties appear to agree with this approach. Thus, the presumptive ceiling is 30 months. [ 18 ] The significance of the presumptive ceiling is that it determines whether the burden is on the defence or the prosecution to prove the delay is unreasonable.
The majority in Jordan explain that “[t]he presumptive ceiling marks the point at which the burden shifts from the defence to prove that the delay was unreasonable, to the Crown to justify the length of time the case has taken” (para. 58). [ 19 ] A synopsis of cases heard in Canada since Jordan by Stephen Coughlan in Criminal law e-Letters , December 9, 2016, provides a commentary respecting early patterns in the application of the new s. 11(
b) framework: […] Broadly, the approach set out in Jordan involves three steps. First, calculate the total time taken. Second, deduct from that any delay caused solely by the defence. Third, see whether the time that remains was above or below the presumptive ceiling (eighteen months for Provincial Court and thirty months for Superior Court) and assign the burden accordingly.
If it was above, the onus is on the Crown to show exceptional circumstances in order to avoid a finding of a violation; if it was below, the onus is on the defence to show sustained efforts and that the case has taken markedly longer than it should have in order to demonstrate a violation. The factors of seriousness of the offence or a lack of prejudice to the accused are not to be considered. There is also in the short term a transitional exception, dealing with cases already in the system. The steps in the analysis can be broken down more specifically (see, for example, R. v.
Coulter , 2016 ONCA 704 (Quicklaw or Canlii), for a very clear structure and description of each of the steps) but this broadly captures the approach. […] In the second step, calculating the time to be deducted from the total time, both delay waived by the defence and delay caused by the defence are taken into account: waiver is a well-established concept, but deciding what counts as delay “caused solely by the conduct of the defence” ( Jordan , para. 63 ) will be important.
The examples offered in Jordan suggest that this category was meant to be quite limited: “deliberate and calculated defence tactics aimed at causing delay”, for example ( Jordan , para. 63 ). Many courts seem to have taken this approach to heart. For example, in R. v. Park [2016 SKPC 137, [2016] S.J. No. 567 (QL) ] […] the Crown argued that the accused had caused delay essentially because he had not tried hard enough to obtain counsel before his first appearance in court, but the trial judge refused to accept this argument.
He acknowledged that an accused might try to delay proceedings by claiming to have tried to hire a lawyer while not actually having taken any steps to do so but, short of that, “legitimate, albeit unsuccessful attempts, to hire a lawyer do not qualify as defence delay” ( Park , para. 37). Other cases suggest a desire to hold on to pre- Jordan approaches to attributing delay to the accused (see, for example, R. v. Gandhi , 2016 ONSC 5612 (Quicklaw or Canlii), paras. 17-24 , but see also Ashraf , [2016 ONCJ 584 , [2016] O.J.
No. 5079 (QL)] […], disagreeing with the approach there). [pp. 7-8] [ 20 ] I will now consider each of the steps. A. First Step: Total time taken from charge to end of trial [ 21 ] The first step in a Jordan analysis is to calculate the total delay. The appellant was charged on May 4, 2010. The verdict was delivered on February 20, 2015. Therefore, the total time “from charge to verdict” ( R. v. Manasseri , 2016 ONCA 703 , [2016] O.J. No. 5004 (QL), para. 337 ) was in excess of 57.5 months.
B. Second Step: Deduction of delay caused solely by the defence [22] The second step is to deduct time attributable to defence delay. Defence delay includes delays waived by thedefence, or caused solely or directly by the defence’s conduct. Defence actions legitimately taken to respond to the charges do notconstitute defence delay (Jordan at para. 66). In Jordan, the Court describes the manner in which defence delay is to be consideredpursuant to s. 11(b): The second component of defence delay is delay caused solely by the conduct of the defence.
This kind of defence delay comprises“those situations where the accused’s acts either directly caused the delay ... or the acts of the accused are shown to be a deliberate andcalculated tactic employed to delay the trial” (Askov, at pp. 1227-28). Deliberate and calculated defence tactics aimed at causing delay,which include frivolous applications and requests, are the most straightforward examples of defence delay. Trial judges should generallydismiss such applications and requests the moment it becomes apparent they are frivolous.
As another example, the defence will have directly caused the delay if the court and the Crown are ready to proceed, but the defence isnot. The period of delay resulting from that unavailability will be attributed to the defence. However, periods of time during which thecourt and the Crown are unavailable will not constitute defence delay, even if defence counsel is also unavailable. This shoulddiscourage unnecessary inquiries into defence counsel availability at each appearance.
Beyond defence unavailability, it will of course beopen to trial judges to find that other defence action or conduct have caused delay (see, e.g., R. v. Elliott (2003), (ON CA), 114 C.R.R. (2d) 1 (Ont. C.A.), at paras. 175-82). To be clear, defence actions legitimately taken to respond to the charges fall outside the ambit of defence delay. For example, thedefence must be allowed preparation time, even where the court and the Crown are ready to proceed. In addition, defence applicationsand requests that are not frivolous will also generally not count against the defence.
We have already accounted for proceduralrequirements in setting the ceiling. And such a deduction would run contrary to the accused’s right to make full answer and defence.While this is by no means an exact science, first instance judges are uniquely positioned to gauge the legitimacy of defence actions.[paras. 63-65] [23] Counsel for D.M.S. and for the Attorney General each provided the Court with a breakdown of the manydelays and to whom, in their view, they should be attributed. According to D.M.S., the total delay, after deducting that which should beattributed to him, is approximately 45 months.
In contrast, counsel for the Attorney General submits the total delay, after subtractingdelay attributed to D.M.S. and certain exceptional circumstances, is 32 months. Both exceed the presumptive ceiling of 30 months. [24] Some of the delays counsel for the Attorney General submits should be attributed to D.M.S. related to theLegal Aid application and appeal processes, including the appellant’s reapplication after he sought a Rowbotham order. In my view, theseshould be attributed to institutional delay.
A review of the record reveals D.M.S. was timely in both applying for Legal Aid andappealing the initial refusal, and in again applying while awaiting a decision from the Provincial Court on his Rowbotham application. InR. v. Boateng, 2015 ONCA 857, [2015] O.J. No. 6449 (QL), the Court discusses an example of a period of delay attributable to anaccused obtaining counsel. In that case, the accused obtained Legal Aid representation but requested a change of solicitor to a solicitor ofhis choice, which was refused by Legal Aid.
The accused appealed the refusal unsuccessfully on two occasions prior to a preliminaryinquiry. Additionally, he filed two Rowbotham applications, the second of which was successful. This process totalled 15½ months. In asubsequent application for a stay of proceedings the judge attributed this delay to the accused. On appeal, the Court confirmed theaccused’s delay in obtaining a lawyer of his choice was attributable to him and dismissed his argument the Legal Aid process should beconsidered part of the institutional delay.
However, the Court also acknowledged the delay may be attributable to institutional delay andbe counted against the Crown where the evidence in a specific case leads an application judge to decide the Legal Aid authority was nottimely. The Court reasoned: In holding that the reasonableness, much less the correctness, of [Legal Aid Ontario]’s decisions are not relevant on a s. 11(b)application, I do not mean to suggest that delays by LAO in considering and determining issues in relation to Legal Aid applications willnever impact on the s. 11(
b) analysis. If, based on the evidence in a specific case, an application judge determines that LAO has notacted in a timely fashion in rendering or implementing decisions pertaining to counsel, the delays caused by LAO’s failure to act in atimely fashion would not fall into inherent time requirements of the case. Assuming the necessary evidence was before the applicationjudge, she could characterize delay beyond that reasonably required for LAO to make the relevant decisions as delay attributable to“other reasons”. As explained in Morin, at p. 800, those delays can ultimately count against the Crown: ...
An investigation of unreasonable delay must take into account all reasons for the delay in an attempt to delineate what is trulyreasonable for the case before the court. One such factor which does not fit particularly well into any other category of delay is that of
actions by trial judges. An extreme example is provided by Rahey, [citation omitted]. In that case it was the trial court judge who causeda substantial amount of the delay ... Such delay is not institutional in the strict sense. Nevertheless such delay cannot be relied on by theCrown to justify the period under consideration [emphasis in original]. The Crown bears the responsibility of bringing an accused to trial within a reasonable time: R. v. Godin, [2009 SCC 26, [2009] 2 SCR 3]at para. 11; R. v. Morin, at pp. 801-802.
As the prosecutor, the Crown is best positioned to spot and react to potential delay-relatedproblems caused when an institutional participant in the criminal justice system, like LAO, drags its feet and places the rights protectedunder s. 11(
b) in jeopardy. If the Crown fails to react to these delays, it will bear responsibility for them in the s. 11(
b) calculus. Thatresponsibility exists regardless of whether LAO is classified as part of the government or the prosecution: see R. v. Neil, 2001 ABQB474, at paras. 50-60; R. v. Chang, [2005] O.J. No. 4381 (S.C.); see also R. v. Dow, 2012 MBQB 122, at paras. 35-47. [paras. 31-32] [Emphasis added.] As mentioned above, I do not find any circumstances on the record that would justify attributing delay surrounding the Legal Aidapplication to the appellant. [25] Much of the delay in this case stems from the prosecution not providing disclosure in a timely fashion.
Defencecounsel initially requested disclosure on no fewer than four occasions. Additional disclosure was requested by counsel on June 16, 20and 27, 2011. Unfortunately, Crown prosecutors, who appeared on five occasions between June 16, 2011, and August 9, 2011, could notprovide reasons why the additional disclosure requested by the accused had not been provided. On August 9, 2011, D.M.S. applied foran order to compel the Crown to provide the requested disclosure or, in the alternative, for a stay of proceedings.
The requests forexplanations regarding the delays in receiving disclosure continued throughout the process. [26] According to the Crown, all of the delay caused by the disclosure issue should be apportioned equally betweenthe appellant and the Crown. I do not agree. D.M.S. was entitled to full disclosure and was justified in seeking adjournments untildisclosure was made. In R. v. Apostol, 2016 NSSC 241, [2016] N.S.J.
No. 346 (QL), Arnold J. states: An accused will often be justified in seeking an adjournment or refusing to proceed to the next step in the proceeding where outstandingdisclosure consists of material that is relevant and significant to the Crown’s case. The diligence of the accused in seeking disclosuremay be important. […] [para. 64] See also R. v. McNeil, 2009 SCC 3, [2009] 1 S.C.R. 66. [27] There is also an obligation upon defence counsel to pursue disclosure. In R. v. Dixon, (SCC),[1998] 1 S.C.R. 244, [1998] S.C.J.
No. 17 (QL), Cory J. says: In considering the overall fairness of the trial process, defence counsel’s diligence in pursuing disclosure from the Crown must be takeninto account. A lack of due diligence is a significant factor in determining whether the Crown's nondisclosure affected the fairness of thetrial process. In Stinchcombe, [ (SCC), [1991] 3 S.C.R. 326, [1991] S.C.J.
No. 83] […], at p. 341, defence counsel’s dutyto be duly diligent was described in this way: Counsel for the accused must bring to the attention of the trial judge at the earliest opportunity any failure of the Crown to comply withits duty to disclose of which counsel becomes aware. Observance of this rule will enable the trial judge to remedy any prejudice to theaccused if possible and thus avoid a new trial. See Caccamo v. The Queen, (SCC), [1976] 1 S.C.R. 786. Failure to do soby counsel for the defence will be an important factor in determining on appeal whether a new trial should be ordered.
The fair and efficient functioning of the criminal justice system requires that defence counsel exercise due diligence in actively seekingand pursuing Crown disclosure. The very nature of the disclosure process makes it prone to human error and vulnerable to attack. Asofficers of the court, defence counsel have an obligation to pursue disclosure diligently. When counsel becomes or ought to becomeaware, from other relevant material produced by the Crown, of a failure to disclose further material, counsel must not remain passive.Rather, they must diligently pursue disclosure.
This was aptly stated by the British Columbia Court of Appeal in R. v. Bramwell (1996), (BC CA), 106 C.C.C. (3d) 365 (aff’d (SCC), [1996] 3 S.C.R. 1126), at p. 374:
. . . the disclosure process is one which engages both the Crown and the defence. It is not one in which defence counsel has no role toplay except as passive receiver of information. The goal of the disclosure process is to ensure that the accused is not denied a fair trial.To that end, Crown counsel must disclose everything in its possession which is not clearly irrelevant to the defence, but the defence mustalso play its part by diligently pursuing disclosure from Crown counsel in a timely manner.
Further, where, as here, defence counselmakes a tactical decision not to pursue disclosure of certain documents, the court will generally be unsympathetic to a plea that fulldisclosure of those documents was not made. See also R. v. S.E.S. (1992), (SK CA), 100 Sask. R. 110 (C.A.), at p. 121. [para. 37] [28] In my view, it is not necessary for this Court, in this case, to review each delay and make an attribution as to itscause.
When one properly considers the delays attributed to the Legal Aid application and related appeal processes as well as thoseoccasioned by the requests for disclosure, it is obvious that the total delay in this case significantly exceeded the 30-month presumptiveceiling. C. Third Step: Assigning the burden [29] Having found the presumptive ceiling has been exceeded, the burden falls on the Crown to establishexceptional circumstances, failing which a s. 11(
b) Charter violation will have been made out. “Exceptional circumstances lie outsidethe Crown’s control in the sense that (1) they are reasonably unforeseen or reasonably unavoidable, and
(2) Crown counsel cannotreasonably remedy the delays emanating from those circumstances once they arise” (Jordan at para. 69; emphasis in original). As themajority in Jordan holds, “[s]o long as they meet this definition, they will be considered exceptional. They need not meet a further hurdleof being rare or entirely uncommon” (para. 69). [30] In my respectful view, the Crown has not demonstrated exceptional circumstances that would excuse thelengthy delay in bringing this matter to conclusion. Some of the delay was reasonably unavoidable, such as a period when D.M.S. washospitalized.
In my view, this case exemplifies the culture of delay that Jordan addresses. In my opinion, the trial was not of a nature andcomplexity as to require almost five years to complete. V. Conclusion [31] Whether we apply the Morin and Askov tests or the new framework delineated in Jordan and Williamson, thelengthy delay in bringing this matter to trial is unreasonable. It follows that there was a violation of the right guaranteed by s. 11(
b) of theCharter and for which D.M.S. is entitled to relief. That is why I joined my colleagues in allowing the appeal and directing that thecharges against D.M.S. be stayed. Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par LA JUGE QUIGG I. Introduction [1] Le 19 avril 2010, D.M.S. a été inculpé de six infractions criminelles. Plus de cinq années devaient s’écouleravant que la Cour provinciale ne rende un jugement final sur ces infractions. Elle n’a prononcé que le 15 mai 2015 la peine à laquelleD.M.S. était condamné aux six chefs.
L’appel qu’il interjette de la déclaration de culpabilité repose sur plusieurs moyens. En toutpremier lieu, il avance que le droit d’être jugé dans un délai raisonnable, droit garanti à chacun par l’al. 11b) de la Charte canadienne desdroits et libertés, lui a été dénié.
[2] À l’issue de l’audience, la Cour a rendu une brève décision orale : elle a accueilli l’appel, ordonné l’arrêt desprocédures engagées contre l’appelant et indiqué que des motifs suivraient. Sans hésiter, je me suis unie à mes collègues pour prononcerla décision. Le texte qui suit expose mes motifs. II. Chronologie des procédures [3] Six chefs d’accusation imputant à D.M.S. une conduite criminelle ont été déposés le 19 avril 2010 :agression sexuelle (al. 271(1)a)); agression armée (al. 267a), deux chefs); inceste (par. 155(1)); contacts sexuels (al. 151a)) et voies defait (al. 266a)).
Il se serait livré à cette conduite entre 1990 et 1996 inclusivement, à des dates indéterminées. La première comparutionde D.M.S. en Cour provinciale a eu lieu le 4 mai 2010. Comme il avait peine à obtenir que l’aide juridique lui octroie les services d’unavocat, il a dû recourir à une demande d’aide financière dite demande Rowbotham, appelée ainsi parce qu’elle tire son origine de l’arrêtR. c. Rowbotham, (ON CA), [1988] O.J. No. 271 (C.A.) (QL). Sa demande n’a été entendue que le 24 août 2010.L’aide juridique a fini par autoriser un soutien financier.
D.M.S. a fait le choix d’un mode de procès le 26 novembre 2010 seulement. Il achoisi d’être jugé par un tribunal composé d’un juge et d’un jury après enquête préliminaire. Cette enquête, qui devait avoir lieu le10 juin 2011, a été reportée au 16 juin. Ce jour-là, toutefois, D.M.S. a renoncé à l’enquête préliminaire et a exercé un nouveau choix, enfaveur de la juridiction de la Cour provinciale. [4] Après ce nouveau choix, l’affaire a été ajournée à maintes reprises pour diverses raisons. Des problèmes dedivulgation ont amené bon nombre de ces ajournements.
Le 16 avril 2012, D.M.S. a demandé l’arrêt des procédures : il soutenait qu’iln’avait pas été jugé dans un délai raisonnable. Sa motion n’a été entendue que le 4 décembre 2012. Elle a été rejetée le 15 janvier 2013.Le juge a conclu que le délai, à ce moment-là, ne violait pas le droit garanti à D.M.S. par l’al. 11b) de la Charte. [5] Le procès a débuté le 20 août 2013. Trois jours plus tard, il était ajourné.
Il devait reprendre le2 octobre 2013, mais d’autres ajournements ont suivi qui l’ont repoussé, d’abord au 4 novembre, puis à de nouvelles dates, en 2014,auxquelles des ajournements ont été accordés pour une multitude de raisons. Le procès n’a repris que les 2 et 3 octobre et s’est poursuivile 28 octobre 2014, date à laquelle la présentation de la preuve s’est achevée. La Cour a entendu les plaidoiries des parties le21 novembre 2014 et rendu un verdict le 20 février 2015. La peine n’a été prononcée que le 15 mai 2015. [6] D.M.S. a interjeté appel de la déclaration de culpabilité.
Son appel a été entendu le 13 juin 2016 et notre Cour a mis l’affaire en délibéré. Le 8 juillet 2016, la Cour suprême du Canada a rendu l’arrêt R. c. Jordan, 2016 CSC 27, [2016] A.C.S. no 27(QL), par lequel elle modifiait sensiblement le cadre élaboré dans R. c. Askov, (SCC), [1990] 2 R.C.S. 1199, [1990] A.C.S. no 106 (QL), et dans R. c. Morin, (SCC), [1992] 1 R.C.S. 771, [1992] A.C.S. no 25 (QL).
Jordan apporteun nouveau cadre d’analyse aux juges qui ont à déterminer si le délai s’écoulant entre le moment où les accusations sont déposées et ladate de la conclusion anticipée du procès est raisonnable au sens de l’al. 11b) de la Charte. La Cour suprême a établi de nouveauxplafonds présumés, en fonction de la juridiction saisie et de la tenue ou non d’une enquête préliminaire. En résumé, si le procès estinstruit devant une cour provinciale, le plafond est de 18 mois.
Ce plafond présumé passe à 30 mois si la cause est instruite devant unecour supérieure ou devant une cour provinciale à l’issue d’une enquête préliminaire. Les délais qui sont imputables à l’accusé, ou qu’ilrenonce à invoquer, ne comptent pas dans le calcul. Une fois le plafond dépassé, le fardeau revient au ministère public de réfuter laprésomption de déraisonnabilité du délai.
Si le ministère public ne peut satisfaire à cette exigence, l’arrêt des procédures doit êtreordonné. [7] Vu le nouveau cadre défini dans Jordan, notre Cour s’est enquise du désir des avocats de communiquer desobservations écrites et orales complémentaires. L’avocate du ministère public a déposé des observations écrites complémentaires, tandisque l’avocat de D.M.S. a fait savoir qu’il présenterait des observations orales. Une autre audience a donc été tenue le 24 novembre 2016. III. Moyens d’appel [8] D.M.S. avance quatre moyens d’appel.
Avant tout, cependant, il soutient qu’il n’a pas été jugé dans un délairaisonnable comme l’exige l’al. 11b) de la Charte. Il affirme que le juge qui a statué sur sa motion, qui invoquait l’al. 11b) en s’appuyantsur l’arrêt Askov, a commis une erreur lorsqu’il n’a pas conclu à une violation et n’a pas ordonné l’arrêt des procédures. L’appelantattaque également l’application par le juge du procès de l’arrêt R. c.
W.(D.), (SCC), [1991] 1 R.C.S. 742, [1991] A.C.S. no 26 (QL) : il soutient que le juge a commis une erreur de droit en renversant le fardeau de la preuve, exigeant donc de ladéfense la preuve d’une absence de culpabilité. Enfin, il est avancé que le juge du procès a commis une erreur de droit en n’expliquantpas comment il avait résolu des contradictions de la preuve qui, au dire de l’appelant, auraient dû susciter un doute raisonnable.
[9] Étant donné que je suis d’avis de retenir le premier moyen d’appel, il ne m’est pas nécessaire de me pencher sur les autres. Je donne ci-après l’analyse qui m’a amenée à conclure que le juge a commis une erreur en ne constatant pas que le droit garanti à D.M.S. par l’ al. 11
b) de la Charte avait été violé. IV. Analyse [10] Par ses observations antérieures à l’arrêt Jordan , D.M.S. affirmait que le délai, en l’instance, n’était pas raisonnable. Il estimait que le délai total qui s’était écoulé entre le 4 mai 2010 et le 4 décembre 2012 était de 943 jours, soit un délai de 244,5 jours imputable à la défense, un délai de 91,5 jours imputable au ministère public, un délai institutionnel de 389 jours et un délai inhérent de 218 jours.
Ce calcul ne tient pas compte du délai qui a suivi le 4 décembre 2012, parce que les observations de D.M.S. visaient la décision rendue sur la motion entendue à cette date, motion sollicitant une réparation sous le régime de la Charte .
Ses observations postérieures à l’arrêt Jordan ont repris ces chiffres, détaillé le délai intervenu après décembre 2012 et maintenu que le délai total, en l’instance, n’était pas raisonnable. [11] Par ses observations antérieures à l’arrêt Jordan , l’avocate du ministère public avançait que la décision du juge sur la motion de D.M.S. en réparation fondée sur la Charte ne trahissait aucune erreur. Elle faisait valoir que le juge du procès avait conclu que les délais étaient raisonnables dans les circonstances, vu la nature et la complexité de l’affaire.
Par ses observations postérieures à Jordan , elle a affirmé que la Cour devait prendre le recul nécessaire et réaliser une évaluation globale. Elle estimait ainsi que le délai net, une fois déduit le délai imputable à la défense, était de 32 mois. Parce que ce délai dépasse le plafond présumé défini par la Cour suprême dans Jordan , elle a convenu qu’il incombait au ministère public d’établir que les exceptions transitoires s’appliquaient en l’espèce.
Elle a soutenu que la présente affaire était complexe et que des événements distincts étaient intervenus : elle a donné pour exemple d’événement distinct la demande ou la nouvelle demande d’aide juridique de D.M.S. Elle a également affirmé que rien au dossier ne donnait à penser que la défense s’était attachée à faire avancer le dossier. [12] Je suis du respectueux avis que la décision du juge du procès sur la demande de réparation de D.M.S. fondée sur la Charte comporte une erreur importante.
Cette erreur tient au fait qu’il n’a pas pris en compte le temps qui devait s’écouler entre la date de la motion de D.M.S. et la date de conclusion raisonnablement anticipée de l’affaire. Dans Morin , le juge Sopinka explique que le facteur relatif à la longueur du délai « oblige la cour à examiner la période qui court de l’accusation jusqu’à la fin du procès » (p. 789). Il en est ainsi dans le nouveau cadre. Dans Jordan , la majorité parle de « délai total entre le dépôt des accusations et la conclusion réelle ou anticipée du procès » (par. 47).
Le juge a nettement fait erreur en prenant en compte uniquement le délai qui s’était écoulé entre l’exercice d’un nouveau choix, en faveur de la juridiction de la Cour provinciale, et la présentation de la demande de réparation de D.M.S. fondée sur la Charte . Il aurait dû ajouter à la période qu’il considérait le temps qui devait s’écouler jusqu’à la conclusion anticipée du procès. [13] Puisque la décision du juge résulte d’erreurs de principe, il y a lieu de l’annuler, et il revient à notre Cour de réaliser l’analyse et de déterminer si l’ al. 11
b) de la Charte a été violé. Pour ce faire, nous bénéficions d’un dossier complet et n’avons pas à prévoir de date de conclusion de l’affaire. Nous savons aujourd’hui que le délai qui s’est écoulé entre le dépôt des accusations et la conclusion réelle du procès est de plus de cinq ans. De la première comparution au verdict, le délai excède quatre ans et neuf mois. [14] Nous avons vu que l’arrêt Jordan a été prononcé le 8 juillet 2016. Il a été publié avec R. c. Williamson , 2016 CSC 28 , [2016] A.C.S. n o 28 (QL).
Parce que le dépôt des accusations et le procès, en l’espèce, sont antérieurs à cette date, l’affaire est visée par les dispositions transitoires énoncées dans Jordan . La majorité y a précisé que « [l]e nouveau cadre d’analyse, y compris le plafond présumé, s’applique aux affaires déjà en cours, sujet à deux réserves » (par. 95).
Dans les cas où le délai excède le plafond, la première exception transitoire s’applique lorsque « le ministère public convainc la cour que le temps qui s’est écoulé est justifié du fait que les parties se sont raisonnablement conformées au droit tel qu’il existait au préalable » (par. 96). La seconde réserve porte sur les affaires où le délai total est inférieur au plafond, ce qui n’est pas le cas ici. [15] Dans l’arrêt Williamson , la Cour a présenté l’analyse qui doit être entreprise lorsqu’une affaire est visée par les dispositions transitoires, comme l’est celle dont nous sommes saisis.
L’analyse reprend celle de Jordan , mais aborde ensuite les mesures exceptionnelles transitoires : Cela dit, puisque M. Williamson a été inculpé avant le prononcé de Jordan , nous devons nous demander s’il y a lieu d’appliquer la mesure exceptionnelle transitoire. Comme nous l’avons expliqué dans Jordan , une telle mesure s’applique lorsque le ministère public convainc le tribunal que le temps qu’il a fallu pour instruire l’affaire est justifié suivant le cadre d’analyse applicable auparavant sur lequel se sont raisonnablement fondées les parties.
L’analyse est nécessairement contextuelle, et elle doit tenir compte de la manière dont ce cadre d’analyse a été appliqué.
À notre avis, même s’il s’agit d’un cas limite, le concept de mesure exceptionnelle transitoire ne s’applique pas en l’espèce et, par conséquent, le délai est déraisonnable. Toute une série de facteurs milite en faveur de cette conclusion. [par. 24 et 25] [16] Le ministère public ne m’a pas persuadée que la première réserve prévue par la majorité dans l’arrêt Jordan entre en jeu. Il n’a pas présenté de preuve nous permettant d’entreprendre l’évaluation contextuelle qui aurait pu conclure à l’applicabilité de cette réserve.
Il y a donc lieu d’appliquer les principes énoncés dans Jordan . [17] La présente instance a connu un retournement intéressant : une fois exercé le choix de D.M.S. d’être jugé par un tribunal composé d’un juge et d’un jury, la date d’une enquête préliminaire a été fixée. Or, à cette date, D.M.S. a renoncé à l’enquête et exercé un nouveau choix en faveur de la Cour provinciale. Il en est résulté un délai total de 184 jours, qui lui a été imputé.
La question se pose de savoir si la présente affaire appartient à la même catégorie que celles où l’enquête préliminaire a réellement lieu, auquel cas le plafond présumé passe à 30 mois. À mon sens, lorsqu’un accusé exerce un choix et requiert que la Cour provinciale fixe la date d’une enquête préliminaire, il faut, sauf circonstances exceptionnelles tel l’exercice très rapide d’un nouveau choix en faveur d’un jugement par un juge de la Cour provinciale, tenir le procès pour comportant une enquête préliminaire, même si l’accusé y renonce. Les parties semblent partager ce point de vue.
Le plafond présumé est donc de 30 mois. [18] L’importance du plafond présumé vient de ce qu’il détermine si le fardeau de prouver que le délai est déraisonnable échoit à la défense ou à la poursuite.
Dans Jordan , les juges majoritaires expliquent que « [l]e plafond présumé situe le moment à partir duquel le fardeau qui incombe à la défense de prouver que le délai a été déraisonnable passe au ministère public qui doit alors justifier le temps qu’il a fallu pour instruire l’affaire » (par. 58). [19] Dans la livraison du 9 décembre 2016 du Bulletin électronique de droit criminel , Stephen Coughlan présente, à la suite de
sommaires de causes entendues au Canada depuis Jordan , des commentaires sur les premières tendances observées dans l’application du nouveau cadre d’analyse associé à l’al. 11 b ) : De façon générale, l’approche énoncée dans l’arrêt Jordan comporte trois étapes. Premièrement, calculez le délai total écoulé. Deuxièmement, déduisez de ce délai le délai causé uniquement par la défense. Troisièmement, déterminez si le temps qu’il reste est supérieur ou inférieur au plafond présumé (18 mois pour la cour provinciale et 30 mois pour la cour supérieure) et attribuez le fardeau en conséquence.
Si le délai est supérieur, il incombe au ministère public de démontrer l’existence de circonstances exceptionnelles afin d’éviter une conclusion d’atteinte; s’il est inférieur, il incombe à la défense de démontrer qu’elle a fait des efforts soutenus et que l’affaire a été beaucoup plus longue qu’elle aurait dû l’être afin de démontrer l’atteinte. Les facteurs de la gravité de l’infraction ou de l’absence de préjudice pour l’accusé ne doivent pas être pris en considération. Il y a également à court terme une exception transitoire, portant sur les affaires déjà soumises aux tribunaux.
Les étapes de l’analyse peuvent être énoncées de façon plus détaillée (voir, par exemple, R. c.
Coulter , 2016 ONCA 704 (Quicklaw ou Canlii), pour une structure et une description très claires de chacune des étapes), mais cet exposé dresse un bon portrait général de l’approche à suivre. […] À la deuxième étape, soit le calcul du délai à déduire du délai total, le délai auquel a renoncé la défense et le délai causé par la défense sont pris en considération : la renonciation est une notion bien établie, mais déterminer ce qui compte comme délai « qui résulte uniquement de la conduite de cette dernière » ( Jordan , par. 63 ) aura de l’importance.
Les exemples donnés dans l’arrêt Jordan indiquent que cette catégorie se voulait fort limitée : « le recours délibéré à une tactique qui vise à retarder le procès », par exemple ( Jordan , par. 63 ). De nombreux tribunaux semblent avoir pris cette approche au sérieux. Par exemple, dans R. c. Park [2016 SKPC 137, [2016] S.J. No. 567 (QL) ], le ministère public a soutenu que l’accusé avait causé le délai essentiellement parce qu’il n’avait pas essayé suffisamment d’obtenir les services d’un avocat avant sa première comparution à la cour, mais le juge du procès a refusé d’accepter cet argument.
Il a reconnu qu’un accusé pourrait tenter de retarder les procédures en affirmant avoir tenté de mandater un avocat tout en omettant de prendre des mesures pour le faire, mais, hormis ce cas, [TRADUCTION] « les tentatives légitimes quoique vaines de mandater un avocat ne constituent pas un délai causé par la défense » ( Park , par. 37). D’autres arrêts indiquent le désir de s’en tenir aux approches précédant l’arrêt Jordan pour l’attribution du délai à l’accusé (voir, par exemple, R. c. Gandhi , 2016 ONSC 5612 (Quicklaw ou Canlii), par. 17 à 24 , mais voir aussi Ashraf [2016 ONCJ 584 , [2016] O.J.
No. 5079 (QL)], qui est en désaccord avec l’approche adoptée dans cette affaire). [p. 8 et 9] [20] J’aborde maintenant chacune des étapes.
A. Première étape : délai total écoulé entre le dépôt des accusations et la conclusion du procès [21] La première étape de l’analyse que requiert l’arrêt Jordan consiste à calculer le délai total. Les accusations ontété déposées le 4 mai 2010. Le verdict a été rendu le 20 février 2015. Le délai total qui s’est écoulé [TRADUCTION] « entre le dépôtdes accusations et le verdict » (R. c. Manasseri, 2016 ONCA 703, [2016] O.J. No. 5004 (QL), par. 337) est donc de plus de 57,5 mois. B.
Deuxième étape : déduction du délai causé uniquement par la défense [22] La deuxième étape consiste à déduire du total le délai imputable à la défense, lequel comprend les périodes quela défense renonce à invoquer ou les retards causés uniquement ou directement par sa conduite. Le temps nécessaire pour traiter lesmesures que la défense prend légitimement afin de répondre aux accusations ne constitue pas un délai qui lui est imputable (Jordan,par. 66).
Dans l’arrêt Jordan, la Cour apporte des précisions sur la façon d’aborder, pour l’application de l’al. 11b), le délai imputable àla défense : Le deuxième volet du délai imputable à la défense concerne le délai qui résulte uniquement de la conduite de cette dernière. Ce genre dedélai englobe « les cas où la conduite de l’accusé a causé directement […] le délai [...] ou ceux où les actes de [ce dernier] révèlent lerecours délibéré à une tactique qui vise à retarder le procès » (Askov, p. 1227-1228).
Le recours délibéré de la défense à des tactiquesdilatoires, notamment à des demandes frivoles, est l’exemple le plus simple de délai imputable à la défense. Les juges de premièreinstance doivent généralement rejeter pareilles demandes dès qu’il apparaît évident qu’elles sont frivoles. Autre exemple, la défense cause directement le délai si le tribunal et le ministère public sont prêts à procéder, mais pas elle. Le retarddécoulant de ce manque de disponibilité sera imputé à la défense.
Toutefois, les périodes durant lesquelles le tribunal et le ministèrepublic ne sont pas disponibles ne constituent pas un délai imputable à la défense même si l’avocat de la défense n’est pas disponible luinon plus. Cela devrait décourager les interrogations inutiles sur la disponibilité de l’avocat de la défense lors de chaque comparution.Outre le manque de disponibilité de la défense, le juge du procès peut évidemment conclure que d’autres mesures ou actes de la défenseont causé le délai (voir, p. ex., R. c. Elliott (2003), (ON CA), 114 C.R.R. (2d) 1 (C.A. Ont.), par. 175-182).
Pour éviter toute confusion, nous précisons que le temps nécessaire pour traiter les mesures prises légitimement par la défense afin derépondre aux accusations portées contre elle est exclu du délai qui lui est imputable. Par exemple, il faut donner à la défense le temps dese préparer, même lorsque le tribunal et le ministère public sont prêts à procéder. Qui plus est, les demandes non frivoles de la défensene compteront généralement pas non plus contre elle.
Nous avons déjà tenu compte des exigences procédurales au moment de fixer leplafond, et pareille déduction irait à l’encontre du droit de l’inculpé de présenter une défense pleine et entière. Bien qu’il ne s’agisseaucunement d’une science exacte, les juges de première instance sont particulièrement bien placés pour juger de la légitimité desagissements de la défense. [par. 63 à 65] [23] Les avocats de D.M.S. et du ministère public ont chacun présenté à la Cour des observations recensant lesnombreux délais et indiquant à qui, à leur avis, ils sont imputables.
Selon D.M.S., le délai total, après déduction des délais qui devraientlui être imputés, est d’environ 45 mois. L’avocate du ministère public, pour sa part, avance que le délai total, après soustraction du délaiimputé à D.M.S. et de délais attribuables à des circonstances exceptionnelles, est de 32 mois.
Ces délais excèdent l’un et l’autre leplafond présumé de 30 mois. [24] Certains des délais qui, de l’avis de l’avocate du ministère public, devraient être imputés à D.M.S. sont liés auxdémarches engagées auprès de l’aide juridique : demande et appel, mais aussi nouvelle demande présentée par l’appelant après avoirsollicité des tribunaux une ordonnance du genre visée dans l’affaire Rowbotham. J’estime qu’il convient de tenir ces délais pourinstitutionnels.
Il apparaît, à l’examen du dossier, que D.M.S. a introduit en temps opportun à la fois sa demande d’aide juridique, l’appelinterjeté du refus initial et la nouvelle demande d’aide qu’il a présentée en attendant une décision de la Cour provinciale sur sa demandeRowbotham. L’arrêt R. c. Boateng, 2015 ONCA 857, [2015] O.J. No. 6449 (QL), traite du délai imputable à l’obtention d’un avocat parl’accusé. Dans cette affaire, l’accusé avait obtenu d’Aide juridique Ontario une représentation en justice, mais avait demandé quel’avocat de son choix occupe pour lui, changement qui lui avait été refusé.
Il avait appelé du refus en vain par deux fois avant l’enquêtepréliminaire. Il avait également déposé deux demandes Rowbotham, dont la seconde avait été accueillie. Le processus avait nécessité, autotal, 15,5 mois. La juge saisie d’une requête ultérieure en arrêt des procédures a imputé ce délai à l’accusé. La Cour d’appel a confirmél’imputabilité à l’accusé du délai d’obtention de l’avocat de son choix et a rejeté l’argument de l’accusé voulant que le processus associéà la demande d’aide juridique dût être considéré comme une
partie du délai institutionnel. La Cour a toutefois reconnu que ce délai peutêtre d’ordre institutionnel et compter contre le ministère public lorsque la preuve amène le juge saisi de la requête à conclure que lesservices d’aide juridique n’ont pas agi en temps opportun. Elle a adopté le raisonnement suivant :
[TRADUCTION]Encore que je conclue qu’il n’est pas pertinent, dans le contexte d’une requête fondée sur l’al. 11b), de savoir si les décisions d’[Aidejuridique Ontario] ont été raisonnables, ou a fortiori correctes, je ne prétends pas que les délais d’examen et de résolution par AJO dequestions qui sont soulevées par des demandes d’aide juridique n’influeront jamais sur l’analyse que requiert l’al. 11b).
Si le juge saisi dela requête estime, vu la preuve de l’espèce, que des décisions n’ont pas été rendues ou mises en œuvre en temps opportun, par AJO, enmatière de représentation par un avocat, les retards causés par ce défaut d’agir en temps opportun ne ressortiront pas au délai inhérent àl’affaire.
À supposer qu’il dispose de la preuve nécessaire, le juge saisi de la requête peut considérer le délai, dans la mesure où il excèdele temps qu’il fallait raisonnablement à AJO pour prendre les décisions pertinentes, comme un délai imputable à d’« autres motifs ».Ainsi que l’explique l’arrêt Morin, à la p. 800, ces délais peuvent jouer contre le ministère public en définitive : […] l’examen d’un délai déraisonnable doit tenir compte de toutes les raisons du délai afin de tenter de délimiter ce qui est vraimentraisonnable relativement à l’affaire dont le tribunal est saisi.
Un de ces facteurs qui ne s’inscrit pas particulièrement bien dans une autrecatégorie de délai est celui qui vise les actes des juges de première instance. L’affaire Rahey, [référence omise], en présente un exempleextrême. Dans cette affaire, c’est le juge de première instance qui a été la cause d’une grande
partie du délai. [...] Un tel délai n’est pasinstitutionnel dans un sens strict. Toutefois, le ministère public ne peut s’appuyer sur un délai de ce genre pour justifier la période encause. [Mot souligné dans l’original.] La responsabilité incombe au ministère public de mener un accusé à son procès dans un délai raisonnable (R. c. Godin 2009 SCC 26, [2009 CSC 26, [2009] 2 R.C.S. 3], par. 11; R. c. Morin, p. 801 et 802).
En tant que poursuivant, le ministère public est lemieux placé, d’abord pour repérer les problèmes de délai qui peuvent se présenter lorsqu’une institution participant au système de justicepénale, telle AJO, tarde à agir et compromet les droits que protège l’al. 11b), ensuite pour y réagir. La responsabilité de ces délais, si leministère public n’y réagit pas, lui sera imputée dans le calcul que suppose l’al. 11b). Cette responsabilité subsiste, qu’AJO soit tenuepour une
partie constituante du gouvernement ou de la poursuite (R. c. Neil, 2001 ABQB 474, par. 50 à 60; R. c. Chang,[2005] O.J. No. 4381 (C. sup. Ont.); aussi R. c. Dow, 2012 MBQB 122, par. 35 à 47). [par. 31 et 32] [Je souligne.] Comme je l’ai indiqué précédemment, le dossier ne me paraît rendre compte d’aucune circonstance qui justifierait d’imputer à l’appelantun délai associé à la demande d’aide juridique. [25] Une large part du délai, ici, est attribuable aux manquements de la poursuite à divulguer en temps opportun.Au moins quatre demandes de divulgation, à l’origine, ont été faites par l’avocat de la défense.
Une divulgation complémentaire a étédemandée par l’avocat les 16, 20 et 27 juin 2011. Malheureusement, les procureurs du ministère public, qui ont comparu cinq fois du16 juin 2011 au 9 août 2011, n’ont pu expliquer pourquoi la divulgation complémentaire réclamée par l’accusé n’avait pas eu lieu. Le9 août 2011, D.M.S. a prié la Cour d’ordonner au ministère public de s’acquitter de la divulgation demandée ou, subsidiairement,d’ordonner l’arrêt des procédures.
Les demandes d’explications, en ce qui concerne les retards à divulguer, ont été réitérées tout au longdu processus. [26] Le ministère public estime que l’ensemble du délai causé par les problèmes de divulgation devrait faire l’objetd’un partage égal entre la poursuite et la défense. Je ne suis pas de cet avis. D.M.S. avait droit à une divulgation complète et il étaitfondé à demander des ajournements jusqu’à ce qu’il obtienne divulgation. Dans R. c. Apostol, 2016 NSSC 241, [2016] N.S.J.
No. 346(QL), le juge Arnold a écrit : [TRADUCTION]Souvent, l’accusé sera fondé à demander un ajournement ou à refuser de passer à l’étape suivante de la procédure lorsque les documentsnon communiqués seront pertinents et primordiaux du point de vue de la poursuite. La diligence dont fait preuve l’accusé pour obtenir ladivulgation peut être importante. […] [par. 64] Voir aussi R. c. McNeil, 2009 CSC 3, [2009] 1 R.C.S. 66. [27] Les avocats de la défense ont aussi l’obligation de tenter d’obtenir la divulgation. Dans R. c.
Dixon, (SCC), [1998] 1 R.C.S. 244, [1998] A.C.S. no 17 (QL), le juge Cory a énoncé ce qui suit :
Pour examiner l’équité globale du procès, il faut tenir compte de la diligence dont l’avocat de la défense a fait preuve en tentant d’obtenirla divulgation par le ministère public. Le manque de diligence raisonnable est un facteur important pour déterminer si la non-divulgationpar le ministère public a nui à l’équité du procès.
Dans l’arrêt Stinchcombe, [ (SCC), [1991] 3 R.C.S. 326, [1991] A.C.S. no 83], à la p. 341, l’obligation qu’a l’avocat de la défense de faire preuve de diligence raisonnable est ainsi décrite : Quand l’avocat de l’accusé prend connaissance d’une omission du ministère public de respecter son obligation de divulguer, celui-ci doit,dès que possible, signaler cette omission au juge du procès. L’observation de cette règle permettra au juge du procès de remédier, autantque faire se peut, à tout préjudice causé à l’accusé et d’éviter ainsi un nouveau procès. Voir Caccamo c. La Reine, (SCC), [1976] 1 R.C.S. 786.
L’omission de l’avocat de la défense de ce faire constituera un facteur important à retenir pour déterminer,lors d’un appel, s’il y a lieu d’ordonner la tenue d’un nouveau procès. Pour que le système de justice pénale fonctionne efficacement et équitablement, l’avocat de la défense doit faire preuve de diligenceraisonnable en réclamant activement la divulgation par le ministère public. La nature même du processus de divulgation l’expose àl’erreur humaine et à la contestation. En tant qu’officier de justice, l’avocat de la défense est tenu de faire preuve de diligence en tentantd’obtenir la divulgation.
Lorsque l’avocat prend ou devrait prendre connaissance, à partir de documents pertinents produits par leministère public, d’une omission de communiquer d’autres documents, il ne doit pas rester passif. Il doit plutôt tenter diligemment d’enobtenir la communication. Ce principe est bien énoncé par la Cour d’appel de la Colombie-Britannique dans l’arrêt R. c. Bramwell(1996), (BC CA), 106 C.C.C. (3d) 365 (conf. par (SCC), [1996] 3 R.C.S. 1126), à la p. 374 : [TRADUCTION] ... le processus de divulgation met en cause à la fois le ministère public et la défense.
Ce n’est pas un processus danslequel l’avocat de la défense n’a aucun rôle à jouer, si ce n’est de recevoir l’information de façon passive. Le processus de divulgationvise à assurer que l’accusé ne soit pas privé d’un procès équitable. À cette fin, le substitut du procureur général doit divulguer tout ce quiest en sa possession et qui n’est pas manifestement non pertinent pour la défense, mais la défense doit également jouer son rôle enréclamant de manière diligente au substitut du procureur général la divulgation en temps opportun.
De plus, lorsque, comme en l’espèce,l’avocat de la défense prend une décision tactique de ne pas tenter d’obtenir la communication de certains documents, le tribunal seragénéralement indifférent à un plaidoyer selon lequel il n’y a pas eu communication complète de ces documents. Voir également R. c. S.E.S. (1992), (SK CA), 100 Sask. R. 110 (C.A.), à la p. 121. [par. 37] [28] Je ne crois pas qu’il soit nécessaire que notre Cour, en l’espèce, analyse chacun des délais et détermine la causeà laquelle il est imputable.
S’il est donné une juste appréciation des délais imputés à la demande d’aide juridique et aux procéduresd’appel y afférentes, ainsi que des délais entraînés par les demandes de divulgation, il est évident que le délai total a excédé sensiblementle plafond présumé de 30 mois. C. Troisième étape : attribution du fardeau [29] La Cour ayant conclu au dépassement du plafond présumé, le fardeau revient au ministère public d’établirl’existence de circonstances exceptionnelles, sans quoi la violation de l’al. 11b) de la Charte aura été démontrée.
« Des circonstancesexceptionnelles sont des circonstances indépendantes de la volonté du ministère public, c’est-à-dire (1) qu’elles sont raisonnablementimprévues ou raisonnablement inévitables, et (2) que l’avocat du ministère public ne peut raisonnablement remédier aux délais lorsqu’ilssurviennent » (Jordan, par. 69; en italique dans l’original). Comme la Cour suprême l’a précisé dans Jordan, « [d]ans la mesure où ellesrépondent à cette définition, les circonstances sont jugées exceptionnelles.
Il n’est pas nécessaire qu’elles satisfassent à un autre critèreen étant rares ou tout à fait insolites » (par. 69). [30] À mon respectueux avis, le ministère public n’a pas établi l’existence de circonstances exceptionnelles quiexcuseraient le long délai qui s’est écoulé avant que l’affaire ne soit portée à son terme. Une part du délai, par exemple le séjour deD.M.S. à l’hôpital, était raisonnablement inévitable. À mon sens, toutefois, la présente affaire illustre la culture des délais que dénoncel’arrêt Jordan.
J’estime que le procès n’était pas d’une nature et d’une complexité telles que presque cinq années aient été nécessaires àson achèvement. V. Conclusion [31] Que nous appliquions les critères des arrêts Morin et Askov, ou le nouveau cadre défini par les arrêts Jordan etWilliamson, le long délai qu’il a fallu pour amener le dossier à procès est déraisonnable. Il s’ensuit qu’il y a eu violation du droit garanti
par l’ al. 11
b) de la Charte et que D.M.S. a droit à une réparation. C’est pourquoi je me suis unie à mes collègues pour accueillir l’appel et ordonner l’arrêt des procédures engagées contre l’appelant.