2019 SKPC 13, 2019 SKPC 13
Opinion
I N THE P R O V I NC I A L C O UR T OF S A SK A T C HEW A N Ci t a t i on: 2019 S K P C 13 D a te: Fe b r u a r y 1 , 2019 I n fo r mation: 991022028 L o c a t i on: P rin c e Alb e rt B e tw e e n: H e r M a jes t y the Qu ee n - a nd - C a r r ie D. B e l l e ro s e App ea ri n g : Mr. Da niel A r not F or the Cro w n Mr. Christopher Kob a n F or the A cc used JU D GMENT R.J.
LA N E , J [ 1 ] C a r r ie B e l l e ro s e h a s b ee n c h a r g e d on I n f o r m a t i on #991022028 a s follows: 1) on or a bout the 1 1 th d a y o f A u gust, 2017 a t or n e a r P rin c e Alb e rt, S a skat c h e w a n d id unla w ful l y h a v e in his / h e r possession a c ontroll e d subs t a n c e i n c luded in S c h e dule I to wit: c r y stal meth a mphet a m i n e , for t h e purp o se of t r a f f i c kin g , c ontr a r y to s. 5 ( 2 ) of T he Control l e d Dru g s a n d Substan ce s A c t ; and
2) on or a bout t he 1 1 th d a y of A u g ust, 2017 a t or n e a r P rin c e Alb e rt, S a skat c h e w a n did h a ve in his / h e r p ossession p r o c e e ds of p r op e r t y , to wit: C a n a dian c u r r e n c y of a v a lue not e x cee ding $5,000 knowing that a ll or p a rt of the p r o cee ds of the p r op e r t y w a s obtain e d or d e riv e d di re c t l y or ind i re c t l y a s the r e sult of the c om m is s ion in C a n a da of a n o f f e n c e punish a ble b y ind i c t m e nt c ontr a r y to ss. 354 a nd 355 of the Criminal C ode . [ 2 ] W h e re the Cro w n h a d a n e le c t i on it h a s p r o c e e d e d b y w a y of ind i c t m e n t .
The a c c used e le c ted P rovin c ial C ourt J ud g e a nd h a s pled g ui l t y to c ount #1. The Cro w n is r e p re s e nted b y Mr. D a niel A r not and the d e f e n c e is r e p re s e nted b y M r. Ch r is Kob a n. [ 3 ] I t is to be noted that th e r e a re t h r e e ot h e r c o -a c c u s e d c h a r g e d with the s a me o f f e n ce s on th i s I n f o r mation. The d i spos i t i on a s r eg a rds to the s e thr e e p e rsons will be r e f e r r e d to lat e r in th i s d ec is i on. [ 4 ] The fa c ts b e f o re t h e Co u rt a re not c omp l ic a ted.
On or a bout A u g ust 11, 2017, memb e rs of the P rin c e Alb e rt I n te g r a ted S tr ee t En f o r ce ment T ea m, P rin c e Al b e rt Comb i n e d F o r c e s S p ec ial En f o r c e ment Unit a nd P rin c e Alb e rt RC M P e x ec uted a s ea r c h w a rr a nt a t a ru ra l p r op e r t y in the Ru ra l Muni c ipali t y of B i r c h Hil l s. This w a s the r e siden c e of Ms. B e l l e ro s e . Upon e nt r y in t o h e r r e siden ce , pol i c e s a w Ms. B e l l e rose run i nto the b a t h room. P o l i c e b r oke down the door a nd Ms.
B e l l e ro s e w a s f ound in possession of 3 0.1 g ra ms of meth a mp h e tamine in a n e y e g l a ss ca s e .
Also lo c a ted in the re siden c e w a s the followin g : 1) b a g g i e c ontaining 7.9 g ra ms of meth a mphet a m i ne found on the liv i ng r oom t a ble; 2) b a g g ie c ontaini n g 1 . 1 g r a ms of meth a mphe t a m i ne found on the l i ving r oom t a ble; 3) bla c k c a se with emp t y b a g g i e s loc a ted on liv i ng r oom side t a b l e ; 4) S a msung tabl e t i n bl a c k ca se in p u rse on c o u c h in l iv i ng r oom; 5) fun c t i oning T r i t on e le c tronic s ca le in purse on c ou c h in l i ving room; 6) $355.00 ca sh f rom G u e ss w a l l e t i n pu r se on c ou c h in l iv i ng r oom; 7) $380.00 ca sh f r om ins i de Gu e ss w a l l e t in p u r s e on c ou c h in l i ving room; 8) ce ll phone pl u g g e d i n to w a l l on cou c h in l iv i ng r oom; 9) bla c k S a msu n g ce ll p hone on c ou c h in l iv i ng r oom; 10) b la c k S a msu n g ce ll p hone on side table in k i t c h e n; 11) w hi t e S a msung ce ll phone f ound in ba c k b e d r oom; a nd 12) 1 2 - .410 g a u g e sho t gun sh e l l s. [ 5 ] The Cro w n filed a n “ E x p e rt Opinion R e port” p re p a r e d b y S e r g ea nt B r a d l e y J a mes B ea ton of the P rin c e Al b e rt I nt e g ra ted
S tr ee t E n f o rce ment T ea m. At a st r ee t lev e l, I un d e rst a nd the most c om m on d a i l y p u rc h a se of c r y stal meth a mphet a m i ne is 1 / 1 0 t h of 1 gr a m, r e f e r r e d to a s a “ point” a nd that usual l y c osts a bout $10.00. A h ea v y user of c r y stal meth a mphet a m i ne m i g ht c onsume 1 g r a m p e r d a y . [ 6 ] Ms.
B e l l e rose w a s f o und in possession of a ppro x i m a te l y 39 g r a ms of c r y stal meth a mphet a m i ne – e n o u g h f o r 390 uses f o r tho s e who pu rc h a se o n e “ p o i nt” or 39 us e s f o r those who a re known a s h ea v y use r s a nd who pur c h a se 1 g r a m a t a t i me. Thus, the str ee t v a lue of the 39 g ra ms s e i z e d r a n g e d f r om a p p ro x i m a te l y $ 3 ,120.00 if sold b y the g r a m or ½ g r a m, to $3,900.00 if sold at $10.00 f or 1/1 0 th of 1 g r a m. [ 7 ] Ms.
B e l l e rose h a s a dm i t t e d that she did p o ssess th i s c r y stal meth a mph e tamine for the purp o se of tr a f f icki n g , t hus, that me a ns she in te nd e d to supp l y a s f e w a s 39 h ea v y use r s on a d a i l y b a sis or a s ma n y a s 390 us e rs w ho pu rc h a se 1/1 0 th of 1 g r a m per d a y . [ 8 ] The c e ll phon e s a nd t a blet that w e re s ea r c h e d c le a r l y d e monstr a t e d t he e x is t e n c e of c r y stal meth a mphet a m i n e s a les, a nd c le a r l y , on one of the c e ll phon e s , a c onv e rs a t i on with a nother t r a f f i c k e r ( a s it turns out, the roommate o f Ms.
B e l l e ro s
e) s p ec ifi c a l l y r e f e rs to the pho n e user a s “ C a r ri e” . I n a dd i t i on, a ce ll pho n e known a s P E8 a lso r e f e r r e d to not on l y a n a t t e mp t e d d r ug tr a ns a c t i on but to t he fi r st n a me “ C a r r i e ” . I h a ve c on c luded, a nd I d on’t th i nk the r e is a n y dispute, th a t the re fer e n c e to “Ca r ri e ” is a r e fer e n c e to Ms. B e l l e ros e . [ 9 ] The opin i on r e p o rt filed i ndic a tes that in g e n e r a l, t h e re a re thr e e t y p e s o f p e ople invo l v e d in t he drug t r a d e : 1) The me r e user of d r u g s.
This p e rson is not i nvolved in the s e l l ing o f c ontroll e d subs t a n ce s. 2) The use r , who tr a f f i c ks d r u g s to support h i s/her d r u g h a bi t . T h e se use r s a re o ft e n not r e c r ea t i on a l u s e rs, but h e a v y use r s of d r u g s.
Due to the c ost of their d r u g h a bi t , th e y t r a f fi c k in d r u g s a nd o f ten c om m it other c rimes to support t h e ir d r u g h a bi t . 3) The d r u g tr a f f ick e r who do e s not use d r u g s a t a ll or on l y uses d r u g s on o c c a sion, fin a n c ial p r o f it is t he obje c t i ve of t his i ndiv i du a l. [ 10 ] The c on c lus i on o f the w riter of th i s r e por t , whi c h I a cce pt a s tru e , is that Ms. B e l le ro s e did possess the c r y stal meth a mphet a m i ne f o r t he purp o se of t r a f f i c kin g .
And, the Cro w n sug g e st s that th i s is a “ D i a l -a- Do p e ” busin e ss m o d e l. I a c ce pt t h a t proposi t ion. [ 11 ] The Cro w n sug g e sts a n d I a c ce pt that Ms. B e l l e rose is wh a t is known a s a m i d -lev e l tr a f f ic k e r who s e l l s c r y s t a l meth a mphet a m i ne to str ee t le v e l tr a f fi c k e rs. I t would a pp e a r that M s .
B e l l e ro s e did so for fin a n c ial g a in to c ov e r both h e r p e rso n a l l i ving e x p e nses, a nd to p a y for h e r own use of c r y s t a l m e th a mphet a m i n e . [ 12 ] B e c a use of wh a t I vi e w a s a n e x tr e me l y s e rious o f f e n ce , I o r d e r e d a P r e -S e nten c e R e port. The f irst t wo p a ra g r a phs of that re port outlines M s . B e l l e ro s e ’s c hi l dhood a s follows: C a r r ie w a s born in S lave L a k e , Alb e r t a ( a nd l i v e d the re ) unt i l (she r e ac h e
d) the a g e of 4 y ea r s . S he w a s b o rn to h e r mo t h e r, J u d y M c C a l l um, a nd h e r f a the r , K e n n e th B e l l e ro s e . C a r r i e r e ports b e i n g prim a ri l y r a i s e d b y h e r mo t h e r a ft e r the a g e of 4 y ea rs old. C a r r ie stat e s h e r f a ther str u g g led with a lcohol use wh e n she w a s y ou n g . W hi l e h e r f a t h e r w ould be in t oxic a ted, he would b e c ome p h y sic a l l y a g g r e ss i ve with her mo t h e r, J u d y .
C a r r ie r e p o rts h e r mo t h e r le f t h e r f a th e r wh e n she w a s a ppro x i m a te l y 4 y ea rs old a nd th e y mo v e d to P rin c e Alb e rt. C a r r ie h a s m e mori e s of h e r f a the r ’s a ggr e ss i on a nd r e memb e rs the a ft e rm a th of b e ing s a d a nd s c a red with her mo t h e r. C a r r ie r e memb e rs g r o wing up with h e r mo t h e r i n P rin c e Alb e rt. S he w a s o f ten a t home a lone. S h e r e p o rts she w a s old e n ou g h to look a ft e r h e rs e l f a nd h e r mo t h e r w a s wo r king full t i me to support h e r.
S ince le a ving h e r f a the r , C a r rie r e ports th e re w a s no a l c ohol or d r u g s in the home. S he did not e x p e ri e n c e a n y p h y s ic a l, s e x u a l, or e mo t ion a l a buse while she w a s a c hi l d. Ca r rie n e v e r sp e nt a n y t i me in f ost e r c a r e . [ 13 ] Ms. B e l l e rose suf f e r e d a b ra in a n e u r y sm on M a y 27, 2017 a nd w a s in h o spi t a l for two mon t hs. S he su f f e r e d s o me b ra in d a m a ge a s
a r e sul t , a nd h a d to r e le a rn h o w to sp e a k a nd how to w a lk. S he h a d a g ood wo r k his t o r y unt i l a ppr o x i m a te l y one y e a r p r ior to h e r b ra in a n e u r y sm, a nd c u r r e nt l y c a nnot wo r k due t o h e r b r a in d a m a g e . S he would h a ve me b e l i e ve that wh e n s h e w a s r e l ea s e d f r om hospi t a l following h e r two m o nth st a y , o n e of the fi r st th i n g s she did w a s to sta r t using c r y stal meth a mphet a m i ne a nd to tr a f f ick in c r y stal meth a mphe t a m i n e .
How one g o e s f r om nev e r usi n g a n y ki n d of d r u g s a s she c laims, to not on l y usi n g c r y stal meth a mphet a m i ne but tr a f f icki n g in c r y stal me t h a mphet a m i ne i m medi a te l y upon h e r r e le a s e f r o m hospital is a m y st e r y .
How one would ea rn the trust of other tr a f f ic k e rs to b ec ome a m i d - le v e l t r a f f ic k e r, c a uses me to wond e r if the r e w a s n o t a d ee p e r histo r y o f d r u g t r a f f icki n g p r ior to h e r a n e u r y sm. [ 14 ] S he h a s a l i m i ted c rimi n a l r e c o r d with two p r ior c onvictions for p r op e r t y o f f e n c e s a nd two b reac h e s of c ourt o r d e rs. [ 15 ] W h a t I ca n g le a n f rom the P r e - S e nten c e R e p o rt is t h a t she a pp ea rs to p re s e nt with m i ni m a l r e morse for h a v ing tr a f fi c k e d in c r y s t a l meth a mphet a m i ne stating that she “ g u e sses it is f a ir” that she h a s b ee n c h a r g e d .
W hi l e she c laims to h a te c rime, she f e e l s that the pol i c e h a ve b ee n m e a n to h e r. B y w a y of e di t o r ial c om m e nt, p e rh a ps s h e h a s n e v e r s e e n the d e stru c t i v e e f f e c t t h a t c r y stal m e th a mphet a m i ne h a s on use r s in t he same w a y pol i c e h a v e . [ 16 ] Also, she h a s wh a t I w o uld d e s c ribe a s a m i ni ma l plan in pla c e to a void t he c om m is s ion of c rime in the futu re , s a y i n g s h e will si m p l y st a y a t home a nd a void h e r old a ssoci a t e s a nd f r iends.
Ho we v e r, in f a irn e ss to h e r, p e r h a ps she si m p l y f ee ls ho p e less with h e r c u r re nt disabili t ies r e sul t ing f r o m h e r b r a in a n e u r y sm a n d ca nnot th i nk o f a n y other w a y that she will a void future c rimin a l a c t i vi t y . [ 17 ] Ms. Be l l e ro s e ’s mo t h e r i s se e n a s a p ro - soci a l su p port in her l i f e . [ 18 ] Ms. B e l l e ro s e would a p p ea r to h a ve a t le a st some d e g ree of a n a l c ohol p r oblem a s w e l l .
S he is ass e ssed a s a med i um risk t o r e- o f f e nd ov e r a thr e e y e a r p e riod. [ 19 ] W hi l e on in t e rim r e le a s e , C a r r ie h a s not made a n y e f f o r t to a c ce ss a ddict i on s e rvi ce s or a n y ot h e r t y pe of c ouns e l l i n g . [ 20 ] I n t h e p a st she h a s r e sid e d with K e i t h B r a ssa r d a n d he is the f a ther of two of h e r c hi l d re n. S he c laims that she no l o n g e r r e sides with hi m . H e is a pp a r e nt l y in a nd out of jail, how e v e r, Mr. B r a s s a rd r e c e nt l y c laim e d that he r e sides a t h e r r e siden ce .
I t is note w o rt h y that notwi t hstandi n g Mr. B r a ss a rd w a s n a med a s a suspe c t on the s ea r c h w a r r a nt that r e sul t e d in the c u r r e nt c h a r g e s invo l ving Ms. Be l le ros e , Mr. B r a ssa r d w a s not c h a rg e d. [ 21 ] The P r e- S e n t e n c e R e p o rt do e s r e view a n y a ppl ic a b le Gladue fa c tors a nd st a t e s as f ol l ows: “ C a r r ie is M e t i s a nd n ot c onn ec ted to a n y F irst N a t i o n r e s e r v e . C a r rie r e p o r ts she h a s n e v e r l i v e d on re s e rve a nd h a s n e v e r f e lt iso l a ted f r om h e r c om m u ni t y .
W hi l e g ro w i n g up, C a r r i e w a s e x posed to h e r f a t h e r ’ s a lcohol a buse a t a y o u n g a g e . S he e x p re sses she f e lt s ca r e d w h e n h e r f a t h e r w a s d r ink i ng a s he w ould tr ea t h e r mo t h e r poor l y . C a r r ie r e ports she w a s n e v e r m i str ea ted b y h e r fa ther in which she ca n r e c a l l . C a r r ie r e p o rts a lw a y s e nsur e d h e r n ee ds w e re met a nd w a s not a f fec t e d b y pov e r t y . C a r r i e ’s mo t h e r wo r k e d full t i me thro u g hout h e r l i fe a t s e v e r a l jobs.
C a r r ie r e ports she h a s n e v e r e x p e ri e n ce d or b ee n a f f e c ted b y r ac ism a nd none of h e r f a m i l y m e mbe r s a t t e nd e d r e si d e nt i a l s c hoo l . C a r r ie ’ s p a r e nts spl i t wh e n she w a s a ppro x i m a te l y 4 or 5 y e a rs old. S he r e p o rts not s ee i n g h e r f a ther a lot following the s e p a r a t i on. I t is a pp a r e nt C a r r ie h a s b ee n a f f ec ted b y h e r p ar e nt’s ma r i t a l br ea kd o wn . ” [ 22 ] Mr. Kob a n on b e h a lf of Ms. B e l l e ro s e s a y s that Ms.
B e l l e ro s e is a 42 y e a r old Me t i s who h a s thr e e c hi l d re n. H e r so n , who is 17 y e a rs old a nd who is a lso the son of Mr. K e i t h B r a s s a rd a nd he r e sides in Alb e r t a with a n un c le. H e r ot h e r two c hi l d re n a g e 15 a nd 20 r e side with Ms. B e l l e ro s e ’s p a r e nts (moth e r a nd ste p- f a the r ). T hose two c hi l d re n g re w up in Ms. B e l l e ro s e ’s mo t h e r ’ s ca r e mos t , if n o t a l l , of t h e ir lif e . App a r e nt l y S o c ial S e rvi ce s w a s invo l v e d sometime in the p a st ho w e v e r, Ms.
B e l l e rose c ould not r e m e mber w h y . S he did how e v e r think th a t i t w a s due to Mr. B r a s s a rd ’ s b e h a v i or but w a s not a ble to p r o vide a n y spe c if i c s. [ 23 ] Mr. Kob a n on b e h a l f of M s . B e l l e rose ind ic a tes t h a t Ms. B e l l e ro s e ac kn o wl e dg e s that she w a s s e l l ing c r y stal meth a mphet a m i ne in o r d e r to p a y for h e r o wn use of cr y stal meth whi c h w a s d e s c rib e d a t .5 g r a ms p e r d a y . Ho w e v e r, she a lso ac knowl e d g e s that s he w a s
s e l l ing c r y stal meth a mph e tamine in o r d e r to p a y f or h e r housi n g . S he ind ic a tes thro u gh h e r c ouns e l that she on l y sold c r y stal met h a mphet a m i ne for a c ouple of w ee ks a s she h a d only b ee n out of hospital following h e r a n e u r y sm f or two w ee ks wh e n she w a s a r r e sted. Mr. Kob a n ind i ca tes that th i s w a s a n unsophist i ca ted a nd s pur o f the mo m e nt ope r a t i on. [ 24 ] Mr. Kob a n on b e h a lf of Ms. B e l l e rose filed a m e dic a l r e port f r om D r . Mi c h ae l K e l l y . D r .
K e l l y d e s c ri b e d the me d ic a l p r o c e dur e s t h a t he p e r f o r med with Ms. B e l l e ros e . H e c o n fi r med that she w a s a dm i t t e d to No r th B a t t le f o r d e me r g e n c y d e p a rtme n t on M a y 27, 2017 a nd r e main e d in R o y a l Uni v e rsi t y H o s pi t a l unt i l J u l y 26, 2017. D r . K e l l y w a s not a ble to c om m e nt on Ms. B e l le ros e ’s c o g ni t ive sta t us a t the t i me of h e r di s c h a r g e other t h a n she m e t a ll of the disc h a r ge c rite r ia.
O n c e a g a in he s t a ted: I a m not a ble to ma k e a n y d e finit i ve c om m e nts a bout h e r c o g ni t ive st a tus a ft e r disch a r ge f r om r e h a b outs i de o f that it is o f ten noted that these p a t ie nts ca n h a v e si g nifi c a nt dif f icult i e s sometimes on a p e rm a n e nt b a si s . M y r e c om m e nd a t i on would be that she und e r g o a n e u r op s y c holo g i ca l a sses s ment to prop e r l y d e fine h e r c u r r e nt c o g ni t ive issues. [ 25 ] Mr. Kob a n on b e h a lf o f Ms.
B e l l e ro s e ind i ca tes t h a t his c l i e nt w a s c o g ni t ive l y c h a l l e n g e d a t the t i me she w a s invo l v e d in tr a f f icki n g cr y s tal meth a mphe t a m i ne a nd w a s p a rticu l a r l y vulne ra ble to those who would use h e r f o r that purp o s e . I n a ddi t ion, M r. Kob a n filed a book r e view e nt i t l e d N e u r op s y c hol o g i c a l S e qu e lae o f S u ba rac hnoid H e mor r h a ge a nd I ts T r ea t m e n t . This book r e view discuss e s some of the c onse q u e n ce s suf f e r e d b y ind i viduals with the c ondi t ion that Ms.
Be l l e rose h a s. [ 26 ] Mr. Kob a n a lso filed a l e t t e r f r om a n o r g a ni z a t i on in P rin c e Alb e rt known a s “ Ho m e w a r d B ound ” , s a id letter d a t e d Nov e mber 13, 2018. The r e port s p ea ks qui t e posit i v e l y a bout Ms. B e l l e ro s e b e i n g a “ v e r y v a luable memb e r of t h e c om m uni t y ” . The r e p o r t ind i ca tes that M s . B e l l e ro s e h a s d e monstr a ted v e r y posit i ve g r o wth with i n the c om m uni t y .
I g a ther that “ Hom e w a rd B oun d ” is a n in i t i a t i ve b y the Y W CA to h e lp ind i viduals t o r e - in te g r a te in t o the c om m uni t y a ft e r p e rso n a l d i f f icult i e s such a s ad d i c t i ons. [ 27 ] P u r pose a nd P rin c ip l e s o f Se n ten c i n g
Section 718 718 The fund a ment a l purp o s e of s e nten c ing is to p r ote c t soci e t y a nd to c ontr i bute, a long with c rime p re v e nt i on in i t i a t i v es , to r e spe c t f o r the law a nd the mainten a n c e of a jus t , p eac e ful a nd a sa f e s o c ie t y b y i m posing just san c t i ons th a t have one or mo r e o f the f ol l o wing obj e c t i v e s:
a) to d e noun c e unla w ful c ondu c t a nd the h a rm d one to victi m s or to the c om m uni t y that is ca us e d b y unla w ful c ondu c t;
b) to det e r the o f f e n d e r and other p e rsons f rom c o m m i t t i ng of fe n c e s;
c) to s e p a r a te o f f e nd e rs f rom so c i e t y , wh e r e n e c e s s a r y ;
d) to assist i n r e h a bi l i t a t i ng o f f e nd e rs;
e) to p r ovi d e r e p a r a t i ons for h a rm done to v i c t i ms or to the c om m uni t y ; a nd
f) to p r omo t e a s e nse of r e spons i bi l i t y in o f fe n d e rs, a n d ac knowl e d gement of the h a rm done to v i c t i ms or to t he c om m uni t y .
Section 718.1 718.1 A s e nten c e must be p r oportionate to the g r a v it y o f the o f f e n c e a nd the d e g re e of r e spons i bi l i t y o f the o f fend e r.
Section 718.2(b) 718.2(
b) A s e nten c e should be si m i l a r to s e nten ce s i m p osed on si m i l a r o f f e nd e rs for si m i l a r o f f e n c e s c om m i tt e d in si m i l a r c ir c ums t a n c e s;
c) where consecutive sentences are imposed, the combined sentence should not be unduly long or harsh;
d) an offender should not be deprived of liberty, if less restrictive sanctions may be appropriate in the circumstances; and
e) all available sanctions, other than imprisonment that are reasonable in the circumstances and consistent with the harm done to victimsor to the community should be considered for all offenders, with particular attention to the circumstances of Aboriginal offenders; [28] Section 10(1) of The Controlled Drugs and Substances Act Section 10(1) states: Without restricting the generality of the Criminal Code, the fundamental purpose of any sentence for an offence under this
Part is tocontribute to the respect for the law and the maintenance of a just, peaceful and safe society while encouraging rehabilitation, andtreatment in appropriate circumstances, of offenders and acknowledging the harm done to victims and to the community. [29] In 2005, Parliament moved crystal methamphetamine from
Schedule III to
Schedule I in a move that seen as a recognition thatcrystal methamphetamine is as dangerous a drug as such drugs as cocaine, heroin and fentanyl. [30] Part of the issue on sentencing parity referred to in s. 718.2(
b) is that there are three other persons charged on the same Informationas Ms. Bellerose. They have been dealt with by the courts in the following fashion: 1) Roger O’Neil Pambrun – both counts were withdrawn; 2) Adam Brown - Mr. Brown pled guilty on Count #1 to the lesser included offence of simple possession of crystal methamphetamine contrary to s. 4(1) of the CDSA. He was sentenced to 65 days time served along with a victim surcharge; 3) Charlene Camilla Durocher – pled guilty on count #1 to the lesser included offence of simple possession of crystal methamphetamine.
She was assessed a $400.00 fine together with a victim surcharge as well as placed on probation for one year. Count #2 as it relates to both Mr. Brown and Ms. Durocher was withdrawn by the Crown. [31] Crown and defence each filed significant case law in support of their respective positions.
As one might expect, case law from overthe past 10 to 15 years and from all across Canada demonstrates the diverse sentencing positions taken by the Court. [32] It would appear that, initially at least, crystal methamphetamine offences were treated much like cocaine offences, especially sincecrystal methamphetamine was moved into
Schedule I which of course is where cocaine is located. Also, crystal methamphetamineoffences, until the last 5 to 10 years were relatively uncommon. Sadly, that is not the case anymore. [33] I first refer to the Saskatchewan Court of Appeal in two decisions from 2012 which generally direct that general deterrence anddenunciation are to be the primary considerations in sentencing on trafficking offences for drugs found in
Schedule I. 1) R v Shawile,2012 SKCA 51, 393 Sask R 211; and 2) R v McIntyre, 2012 SKCA 111, 405 Sask R 28. [34] In those cases the Saskatchewan Court of Appeal adopted the reasoning of itself in R v Aube, 2009 SKCA 53, 324 Sask R 303[Aube], where Justice Smith stated at para 19: This Court has repeatedly said that the range of sentencing for trafficking in cocaine is 18 months to four years, and that the personalcircumstances of an accused, while not to be ignored, are secondary considerations to the issues of deterrence and denunciation.
It is anerror in principle to over-emphasize the personal circumstances of the offender to the exclusion of an examination of othersentencing factors. See R. v. Patryluk, 2002 SKCA 33, and especially paras 21 (to) 23. This decision, in particular, where thecircumstances were much less serious cannot be reconciled with the sentences imposed in the instant case. See also R. v. Goy (1992), (SK CA), 105 Sask. R. 131 (Sask. C.A.); R. v. Grewal, 2003 SKCA 56; R. v. Dubai, 2008 SKCA 49; R v McCallum,
20 0 7 S KCA 139 . [ 35 ] Thus it is c le a r to me th a t I must p r i m a ri l y f o c us on d e nun c iation a nd g e n e r a l d e t e r re n ce .
Th a t does not m ea n f o r o ne m i nute th a t I will i g n o re the p e rson a l ci r c ums t a n ce s of this a c c used. [ 36 ] I t is note w o r t h y t h a t in Au b e , the Court stat e d, a nd I a g a i n quote J ust i c e S m i th, “ This Court h a s r e p ea ted l y s a id the r a n ge of s e nte n c i n g for t r a f f i c king in c o c a ine is 18 mon t hs to 4 y ea rs. . . ” [ 37 ] I d e c l i ne to r e view in th i s d ec is i on the massive n umber of s e nten c i n g d ec i sions that h a ve b ee n pr e s e nted to me. [ 38 ] A v e r y thoro u g h r e view of s e nte n c ing d e c is i ons that I c onsid e r to be hi g h l y re lev a nt a r e those b y P rovin c ial Co u rt J ud g e D.
S c ott of t h e S a skat c h e w a n P rovin c i a l Court in R v Khan , 2018 S KPC 11 [ Khan ] . [ 39 ] I n Khan , t h e a cc used w a s invo l v e d, mu c h l i ke Ms. B e l le ros e , in a dia l - a -dope s c h e me of tr a f f icki n g o f c ontroll e d subs t a n ce s. Mr. K h a n w a s found in possession of the followin g : 1 ) 136 g rams of c o c a ine; 2) 45.8 g r a ms of m e thamph e ta m ine; 3) 158.8 g ra ms of ph e n a c e t i n (a c ut t ing a g e nt); 4) $32,000.00 in ca sh. W hi l e Ms.
B e l l e r ose in the ins t a nt ca se possess e d no c o c a ine, the a m o unt of c r y stal meth a mp h e tamine poss e ssed b y Mr. Kh a n in t his de c is i on did not g r e a t l y e x cee d t h a t possess e d b y Ms. B e l l e ros e . I n f ac t, the str ee t v a lue possess e d b y Mr. Kh a n ($2, 2 52.00) w a s less than the str ee t v a l u e possess e d b y Ms. B e l l e rose ($3, 1 20.00 to $3,900.00 ) . [ 40 ] Mr.
Kh a n h a d two p r i o r c onvictions for posse s sion of c ontroll e d subs t a n ce s f o r the purp o se of t r a f f i c king a s w e ll a s one p r ior c onviction for si m ple possess i on of ma r i j u a n a . He a lso had b ee n p r e vious l y c onvict e d of o bstru c t i on a nd one bre ac h o f a c o u rt o r d e r. [ 41 ] J ud g e S c ott s e nten ce d M r.
Kh a n to 42 mon t hs in jail less r e mand t i me on the c h a r ge of possessing c o ca ine for t h e purp o se of tr a f fi c ki n g , 2 y e a rs c on c u r r e nt on the c h a r ge of possessi n g c r y stal meth for the p u r pose of tr a f fi c ki n g a nd 2 y e a rs c o n c u r r e nt on the c h a r ge of possessi n g p r op e r t y or p r o c e e ds obt a ined b y the c om m is s ion of c rime. [ 42 ] I n c ontr a st, Ms.
B e l le r ose h a s on l y b e e n c onvict e d of possessing c r y s t a l meth a mphet a m i ne f or t h e pur p ose o f t r a f f i c kin g . [ 43 ] To b e t t e r un d e rst a nd the s e riou s n e ss of t h e i m p ac t of c r y s t a l meth a mphet a m i n e , one must look a t the P ri n c e Alb e rt e x p e ri e n ce . O f f e n c e s invo l ving c r y stal meth a mphet a m i ne h a v e b ec ome, in m y e x p e ri e n c e , b y far the most p re v a lent d r ug use in P rin c e Alb e rt.
I would sugg e st that the ov e r w h e l m ing majo r i t y of CDSA c h a r g e s in P rin c e Alb e rt t h a t I s e e invo l ve c r y stal meth a mphet a m i ne with the r e main d e r b e i n g p r i ma r i l y c o c a ine. I s e e t h e se c h a r g e s virtu a l l y e v e r y d a y in c ourt a nd, with g re a t f r e qu e n c y , o ther c h ar g e s that t y pic a ll y a cc ompa n y c r y stal meth a mphet a m i ne c h a r g e s include fi r e a rms o f fen ce s such a s pos s e ss i ng p r ohib i ted fi r ea rms, possessing fi r e a rms, a nd possessing load e d fi r e a r ms.
I t g o e s without s a y i ng that Ms. B e l l e ro s e w a s not c h ar g e d nor w a s she found in possessi o n of a n y fi r e a rms ho w e v e r, she w a s found in possession of 12 shot g un shells. [ 44 ] I s e e victi m s of a ddict i on to c r y stal meth a mp h e tamine in c ourt, some a l m ost l i te ra l l y d y i n g in f r ont of m e . [ 45 ] Th e re is much ca se law that discuss e s the h i g h l y a ddictive a nd d e stru c t i ve n a ture of c r y stal meth a mphet a m i n e .
Th e re w a s a t i me wh e n h e roin w a s c onsid e r e d g e n e r a l l y b y t h e c ourts to be the most a ddictive a nd d e stru c t i ve d r u g . It s ee ms that c r y stal meth a mphet a m i ne is now s ee n b y the c o u rts a s be i ng a s a ddictive a nd d e st r u c t i v e , if not more so, th a n h e roin. [ 46 ] I n R v T iczon , 2016 ONSC 729 9 , the Court st a ted: [18] …meth a mphet a m i ne is a hi g h l y a ddictive d r u g . S tud i e s h a ve shown it t o p r odu c e r a tes of a ddict i on si m i l a r to those o f h e roin a nd c o ca ine.
T he tr ea t m e nt of m e thamph e t a m i ne a ddicts is mo r e d i f f icult than those a ddict e d to other subs t a n ce s o f a buse. I n a ddi t ion, met h a mphet a m i ne a bu s e rs h a ve unusu a l l y hi g h r a tes of r e laps e . W i t hdr a w a l f r o m meth a mphet a m i ne r e sul t s in m ood disturb a n ce s a n d vio l e n c e is e a si l y pro v o k e d.
[ 47 ] Anoth e r c om m e nt I wo u ld make is on wh a t I s e e is the in c r e a si n g f r e qu e n c y of p r op e r t y c rime i n P rin c e Alb e rt. The si g nifi c a nt number o f those ca s e s, if not the majo r i t y , a re d r iven b y p e ople w ho suf f e r f rom a n a ddiction t o c r y stal m e thamph e tamine. [ 48 ] The c i t i z e ns of S a skat c h e w a n in g e n e r a l a nd P r i n c e Alb e rt in p a rticul a r d e s e rve a b e t te r a nd s a f e r c om m uni t y .
T h e c i t i z e ns e x p ec t the c ou r ts to d ea l s e rious l y with o f f e n c e s invo l ving the use o f a nd distribution of c r y stal m e thamph e tami n e . [ 49 ] A si g nifi c a nt f ea r I h a v e , a nd th i s is not b a s e d on e viden ce , but c om m on s e nse, is that if the c ourts do not r e m o v e those incli n e d to tr a f f ick c r y stal meth a mphet a m i ne f r om soci e t y for a p e riod of t i me, the publ i c m a y b e g in to take t h e law in t o i t s own h a nds, r e sul t ing in potential l y vio l e nt a c ts of v i g i l a nt i s m.
M y fe a r in c r e a s e s e v e r y t i me I s e e a nother re s idential b rea k a nd e nter wh e re the homeo w n e rs a re in the hou s e a nd duri n g s e nten c i n g on those o f f e n ce s, r e p r e s e ntations in cou r t ind i ca te th a t t he acc used w a s us i n g c r y s t a l m e thamph e tamine. [ 50 ] P rior to s e nten c ing I a s k e d the Cro w n to s e e if t h e y c ould file a n y stati s t i c s f r om P rin c e Alb e rt P ol i c e S e rvi c e on the e f f ec ts of c r y stal m e thamph e tamine in P rin c e Alb e rt a nd dis t ri c t The r e port ind i ca t e s the r e h a s b ee n a s i g n i fi ca nt inc r e a se in the p re s e n c e of c r y s t a l meth a mphet a m i ne a nd d is t ri c t since 2013/2014.
Ch a r g e s r e l a t i ng to c r y stal meth a mphet a m i ne s ee med to p ea k in 2016 a nd 2017 a nd s ee med to h a ve d r opp e d f r om J a nu a r y , 2018 to O c tober 31, 2018. Ho we v e r, th e y st i ll e x cee d more than twice the number of c h a r g e s that e x is t e d in 2014. P ol i c e stati s t i c s a l so ind i ca te th a t the f t o cc ur re n ce s h a v e inc r e a s e d b y 20% ov e r that five y e a r p e riod a nd ment a l h ea l t h/su i c ide a t t e mp t s h a ve i n c r e a s e d b y 46%.
The o n l y th i n g surp r is i n g to me is that the inc rea se in c r y s t a l meth a mphet a m i ne o f f e n ce s is not g re a te r . I w a s invo l v e d with P rovin c ial Court a s a la w y e r a nd a s a judge out of L a Rong e , S a skat c h e w a n f r om 2004 to 2017 a nd not on c e in that t i me did I s e e a n y o n e c h a r g e d with possession of c r y s tal meth a mphet a m i n e .
I w a s stunn e d wh e n I moved to P rin c e Alb e rt a nd s a w that the ov e r w h e l m i ng m a jori t y o f c h ar g e s und e r the CDSA invo l v e d c r y stal m e thamph e ta m ine a nd while I c a nnot a nd do not ta k e jud i c ial not i c e of the p r e v a l e n c e of c r y stal meth a mph e tamine use in S a skato o n, it would a pp e a r a s thou g h that p a rticu l a r d r u g is an immense pro b l e m and g r owi n g ra pid l y in t h a t ci t y . [ 51] The p e rson a l c ir c ums t a n ce s of Ms.
B e l l e ro s e a r e follows: Mit i g a t i ng Cir c ums t a n c e s 1) she is 41 y e a rs old – a nd re ce nt l y h a s su f f e r e d a s e rious b r a in a n e u r y sm; 2) she h a s a l i m i ted c rimin a l r e c o r d – two p r op e r t y r e lat e d o f f e n c e s and two b r e a c h e s of c ourt o r d e rs; 3) she e nte r e d a g ui l t y plea in M a y 2018 ( a p p ro x i m a te l y 10 mon t hs following h e r ar r e st) a l t ho u g h not b e fo r e h a vi n g b ee n a r re sted on a t le a st two other o c c a sions follo w ing h e r in i t i a l r e le a s e on A u g ust 12, 2 017.
I will a sk c ouns e l to p r ovide me with t he number of d a y s she ha s a c t u a l l y spe n t i n r e mand; 4) i t would a pp e a r a s th o u g h s h e w a s a r r e sted on t his of fe n c e on Au g ust 11, 2017 a nd r e le a s e d Au g ust 12, 2 017. S he w a s then in c usto d y a nd re l e a s e d f r o m t his cou r t S e ptem b e r 1 , 2017, she w a s then a r re sted a nd r e le a s e d f r om th i s c ourt Fe b r u a r y 1, 2018.
S he h a s other c h ar g e s b e f o re the c ourt a nd I a ssu m e some of them r e late to t h e se di f f e r e nt i n c idents of a r rest t h a t I h a ve r e f e r r e d to; 5) she c laims that she h a tes c rime; 6) she w a s a ddic t e d to c r y s tal meth a nd sold it p a r t l y to fe e d h e r a ddiction; 7) she h a s r e sided a t a f ac i l i t y ca l l e d Hom e w a rd B ound a nd b y a ll acc ounts h a s do n e qui t e w e ll the re ; 8) s he h a s a d ece nt w o r k his t o r y up unt i l a p p ro x i m a te l y one y ea r befo r e t h e se c h a r g e s a ros e ; a nd 9) she h a s c omp l eted h e r G r a de 12 a s w e ll a s a “ Cont i nuing C a re Ass i stant” c o u rse a t S I AST in 2010; Agg ra v a t i n g Fac tors 1) she w a s t r a f fi c ki n g in c r y s t a l meth a mphet a m i n e , a hi g h l y a ddictive a nd v e r y d a n g e rous a nd sometimes d ea d l y d r u g .
This d r ug a lso is r e sul t ing in inc rea s e d soci a l p r oblems a nd p r op e r t y c rime in P rin c e Alb e rt; 2) she w a s a m i d -lev e l tr a f f ick e r – she would supp l y str ee t lev e l t r a f f i c k e rs who w o uld t h e n sell to b u y e rs on the str ee t; 3) she sold the p r od u c t p a rt l y for h e r own p ro f it a s she s a i d , to put a r oof o v e r h e r h ea d;
4) she w a s a r re sted a t le a st twice a ft e r in i t i a l r e le a se on these c h a r g e s.
As p re vious l y s tat e d she h a s other I n f o r mations b e fo r e the Court but she h a s n ot b ee n c onvict e d of a n y t hi n g on those y e t a nd thus those a r e not to be tak e n in t o acc ount a s c onvictions, th e y a re m e r e l y acc us a t i ons a t t his point in t i m e ; 5) she m i ni m i z e s h e r i n volvem e nt in the p r e s e nt c h a r g e s s a y i n g in r e fer e n c e to h o w she f ee ls a bout h e r c h a r g e s “ I g u e ss th e y a re f a ir.” 6) she fe e ls the pol i c e h a ve b e e n me a n to h e r, i n dic a t i ng to me a t le a st, a la c k of r e sp e c t for the law e n f o r ce ment portion o f t h e jus t ice s y stem; 7) she stat e s she n e v e r t r ied d r u g s of a n y kind unt i l virtu a l l y the d a y she w a s r e l ea s e d f rom a two mon t h st a y in hospital that invo l v e d br a in su r g e r y ; 8) she h a s not tried to acce ss a n y a ddict i on s e rvi ce s o r c ouns e l l ing sin c e h e r v a r ious r e le a s e s f rom c usto d y ; a nd 9) she h a s not, in the 17 mon t hs since th i s o f f e n c e a ros e , d e v e loped a n y me a ni n g f ul plan on how to a v o id r e laps e s or fu r ther c rimin a l ac t i vi t y other than to st a y a t home a nd to a void h e r f o r m e r pe e rs. [ 52] Anoth e r f ac tor that I do not ca t e g o ri z e a s e i t h e r m i t i g a t i ng or a g g r a v a t i ng is that she h a s thr e e c hi l d re n, none o f whom she h a s p r i m a ri l y r a ised.
Th e y h a ve b ee n r a ised b y a n un c le a nd b y h e r p a r e nts. [ 53] I a m w e ll a w a r e that the r e a re num e rous s e nten c e s f r om ac ross C a n a d a including some f r om the S a skat c h e w a n P rovin c ial Court for si m i l a r o f f e n ce s that w e re e i t h e r in t e rmit t e nt jail s e nten ce s or suspen d e d s e nten ce s with p r ob a t i on. A c ondi t ional s e n t e n c e o r d e r c a nnot be i m posed in these c ir c ums t a n ce s.
I a m a lso a w ar e that the r e a re nume r o u s s e nten ce s on si m i l a r o f f e n c e s, how e v e r wi t h p e ople who h a d w o r se c rimin a l r ec o r ds or more a ggr a v a t i n g c ir c ums t a n c e s that e x ce e d e d five y e a rs in jail. [ 54] M y in i t i a l re ac t i on to s e n ten c e in th i s c a se w a s to a g re e with the Cro w n ’s p r opos a l of 33 mon t hs in c usto d y .
Ho w e v e r, I h a v e e x a m i n e d t h e Gladue f a c tors whi c h, in th i s ca s e , a p p e a r to be f a ir l y m i ni m a l other than a n a lcoholic f a ther who w a s vio l e nt to w a rds h e r mo t h e r r e sul t i n g in a s e p a r a t i on of the p a r e n t s. I h a ve a lso e x a m i n e d h e r p e rson a l c ir c ums t a n c e s wh e re s h e s e e ms to be making some s t rid e s in the ri g ht dir ec t i on of t a king c ontrol of h e r l i f e . S he h a s b ee n doing w e ll a t the fa c i l i t y kno w n a s Hom e w a rd B ound.
I h a v e thus r e du c e d the s e nten c e a cc o r di n g l y a nd, to me, the p r o p e r d ispo s i t ion in th i s ca se f o r Ms. B e l le rose is a s e nten c e o f 2 7 mon t hs in c usto d y less e nh a n c e d remand t i me. I will n e e d c ouns e l to a ddr e ss that. I n a ddi t ion, the r e is a mand a to r y fi r ea rms p r oh ib i t i on und e r s. 109 of t h e Criminal Code . F u r th e r, the r e is a man d a to r y D N A s a mp l e to be supplied b y Ms. B e l le ros e .
I f u rth e r o r d e r the fo r f e i t u r e to the Cro w n of a n y a nd a ll e x hib i ts s e i z e d by t h e pol i c e in th i s inv e st i g a t i on. S hould c oun s e l a g r e e t h a t the r e a re some e x hib i ts t h a t ne e d not be f o r f e i t e d, I will h e a r th e m on t h a t. [ 55] I a m g r a t e ful to c ouns e l for their a ss i st a n c e in th i s ca s e .
I must s a y b y w a y of e di t o r ial c om m e nt that th i s is b y f a r the most dif f icult s e nten c ing d e c is i on that I h a ve e v e r h a d to d ea l with, h a ving re g a rd to my hop e s for the r e h a bi l i t a t i on of Ms. B e l l e rose v e rsus the p r inciples of d e nun c iation a nd g e n e r a l d e te r r e n ce . Dated this 1 st day of February, A.D. 2019, at the city of Prince Albert, in the Province of Saskatchewan. R. J . L a n e , J