2023 NBCA 93, 2023 NBCA 93
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 87-20-CA BRIAN D. JAMIESON APPELLANT BRIAN D. JAMIESON APPELANT - and - - et - HIS MAJESTY THE KING RESPONDENT SA MAJESTÉ LE ROI INTIMÉ Jamieson v. R., 2023 NBCA 93 Jamieson c.
R., 2023 NBCA 93 CORAM: The Honourable Chief Justice Richard The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice Green CORAM : l’honorable juge en chef Richard l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge Green Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: October 20, 2020 (conviction) October 24, 2020 (sentencing) Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : le 20 octobre 2020 (déclaration de culpabilité) le 24 octobre 2020 (détermination de la peine) History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: 2020 NBQB 194 Décision frappée d’appel : 2020 NBBR 194 Preliminary or incidental proceedings: N/A Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : s.o.
Appeal heard: June 12, 2023 Appel entendu : le 12 juin 2023 Judgment rendered: October 26, 2023 Jugement rendu : le 26 octobre 2023
Reasons for judgment by: The Honourable Justice Quigg Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge Quigg Concurred in by: The Honourable Chief Justice Richard The Honourable Justice Green Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge en chef Richard l’honorable juge Green Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: James J. Matheson For the respondent: Patrick McGuinty and Joanne Park Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appelant : James J. Matheson Pour l’intimé : Patrick McGuinty et Joanne Park THE COURT The application for leave to appeal conviction is allowed, but the appeal is dismissed.
LA COUR La demande d’autorisation d’appel de la déclaration de culpabilité est accueillie, mais l’appel est rejeté. The judgment of the Court was delivered by QUIGG, J.A. I. Introduction [ 1 ] On January 25, 2018, an RCMP officer stopped a motor vehicle because of an expired registration sticker. During her interaction with the operator, Brian Jamieson, the officer gained reason to suspect he had been driving while impaired.
At this point, the officer could avail herself of two investigative methods to determine whether her suspicions might become the reasonable and probable grounds necessary for her to demand Mr. Jamieson accompany her to provide a sample of his breath into a breathalyzer machine. Under what was then s. 254(2) of the Criminal Code (now the similar s. 320.27(1) ), the officer could, by demand, require Mr. Jamieson (1) to perform forthwith physical coordination tests, and/or (2) to provide forthwith a sample of breath into an approved screening device ( s. 254(2) (
a) and (b)) (“ASD”). The officer chose the latter but only after a 10-12-minute delay, during which another officer attended the scene with an ASD. [ 2 ] It is trite law that Mr. Jamieson’s detention after the officer acquired reasonable grounds to suspect he had been driving while under the influence of alcohol constitutes a detention that would normally trigger rights under the
Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms , except that a detention under s. 254(2) constitutes a reasonable limit prescribed by law under s. 1 of the Charter : R. v. Breault , 2023 SCC 9 , [2023] S.C.J. No. 9 (QL) , at para. 34 , citing R. v. Woods , 2005 SCC 42 , [2005] 2 S.C.R. 205 , at para. 15 . The immediacy requirement of s. 254(2) is the basis upon which courts have found the limit to be reasonable. [ 3 ] In the present matter, both the trial judge and the
summary conviction appeal court judge found that the officer’s demand, which she made after waiting for an ASD for 10 to 12 minutes, did not violate this requirement. [ 4 ] Mr. Jamieson sought leave of this Court to appeal the
summary conviction appeal court judge’s dismissal of his appeal against conviction. On the assumption that the Supreme Court’s decision in Breault would bear on this matter, Mr. Jamieson’s application for leave was, by consent, held in abeyance pending the release of that decision. [ 5 ] When the matter was tried, legal uncertainty prevailed about the
interpretation to be given to the immediacy requirement of s. 254(2). In Breault , the Supreme Court dispelled any uncertainty about the
interpretation of the “forthwith” requirement of s. 254(2). In the absence of unusual circumstances, “forthwith” means “immediately” or “without delay,” and the mere unavailability of an ASD at the scene when the demand is made is not an unusual circumstance. [ 6 ] Interestingly, the facts of this case differ from those in Breault . Whereas, in Breault , the waiting period followed the demand, here the demand followed the waiting period. Whether, or not, this difference is without consequence is a question for another day because, based on Breault , counsel for the Attorney General now concedes a violation of the rights guaranteed under ss. 8 , 9 and 10(
a) and (
b) of the Charter . [ 7 ] Since the Crown concedes that Mr. Jamieson’s Charter rights have been violated, the only issue debated before us was whether evidence obtained following these violations should be excluded because its admission would bring the administration of justice into disrepute. Considering this matter in light of the three-part test introduced by the Supreme Court in R. v. Grant , 2009 SCC 32 , [2009] 2 S.C.R. 353 , I conclude the evidence should not be excluded. For this reason, while I would grant Mr. Jamieson leave to appeal, I would dismiss his appeal. II.
Background [ 8 ] On January 25, 2018, at 11:25 p.m., an RCMP officer stopped Mr. Jamieson because his car displayed an expired registration sticker. While at his door, she asked him to produce his driver’s licence and registration. He provided the former, together with an expired registration. While Mr. Jamieson handed over his documents and spoke to the officer, she smelled alcohol on his breath and therefore suspected he had been driving while impaired. The officer told Mr.
Jamieson she would be back and returned to her police cruiser with his driver’s licence and expired registration. [ 9 ] At the time of the stop, the officer did not have an ASD in her police cruiser. As a result, she asked whether another officer in the vicinity could provide one. A colleague advised he was nearby and would deliver one within a few minutes. The officer then conducted an additional investigation of Mr. Jamieson’s driver’s licence and registration. She received the ASD at 11:39 p.m., 14 minutes after the initial stop. One minute later, she demanded Mr.
Jamieson provide a sample of his breath into the ASD, which he did. She asked him to follow her back to her police cruiser. The result of the ASD test gave the officer reasonable grounds to arrest Mr. Jamieson for impaired driving and to demand that he accompany her to the detachment in order to provide a breath sample for breathalyzer analysis. Mr. Jamieson was notified of his right to counsel and of his right to remain silent. He advised the officer that he wished to contact a lawyer , and he was given the opportunity to speak to one when they arrived at the detachment at 12:07 a.m.
After trying to reach two lawyers unsuccessfully, Mr. Jamieson spoke to duty counsel before agreeing to provide samples of his breath. Mr. Jamieson failed the breathalyzer tests, which produced two readings of 190 mg of alcohol per 100 mL of blood. He was charged with impaired driving and operating a vehicle with a blood-alcohol level in excess of 80 mg per 100 mL of blood. [ 10 ] At trial, Mr. Jamieson’s counsel argued the demand for a breath sample was not made “forthwith,” as required by then s. 254(2) of the Criminal Code . He submitted that Mr.
Jamieson had been psychologically, if not physically, detained from the time of the stop until the demand was made. The trial judge found that the stop occurred at 11:25 p.m. and that the demand was made at 11:39 p.m. Counsel for Mr. Jamieson argued that the approximately 10 to 12-minute delay following the suspicion rendered the demand non-compliant with s. 254(2) , breaching Mr. Jamieson’s right to counsel under s. 10(
b) of the Charter . [ 11 ] The trial judge held that, even though the demand was not made forthwith, in the
circumstances, it was made promptly enough because the officer was engaged in investigating Mr. Jamieson’s driver’s licence and registration at least part of the time while she waited for her colleague to bring an ASD. Thus, it was not unreasonable for her to wait at the most 14 minutes before making the ASD demand. In the alternative, the trial judge conducted a provisional analysis under s. 24(2) of the Charter and determined that, even if a Charter breach had occurred, the breathalyzer readings should nonetheless be admitted into evidence under the Grant analysis. Mr. Jamieson’s appeal to the
summary conviction appeal court was dismissed on the basis that the demand for a breath sample met the immediacy requirement of s. 254(2) despite the delay between the suspicion and that demand. [ 12 ] As mentioned above, Mr. Jamieson applied for leave to appeal this decision. He originally argued the trial judge and the
summary conviction appeal court judge erred in finding that the immediacy requirement of s. 254(2) had been met. This ground is conceded by the Crown in light of the decision in Breault . Thus, the only remaining issue is whether the results of the breath tests should be excluded under s. 24(2). III. Analysis [ 13 ] I agree with both parties that trial judges’ s. 24(2) analyses are usually entitled to appellate deference, but not so when the analysis is only provisional in nature, as is the case in the present matter.
The Supreme Court of Canada clarified when deference is owed relative to an s. 24(2) analysis in R. v. Beaver , 2022 SCC 54 , [2022] S.C.J. No. 54 (QL): On appeal, a trial judge’s findings of fact in applying s. 24(2) attract deference, but no deference is owed to the application of the law to the facts ( Grant , at paras. 43 and 86 ; Lafrance , at para. 91). Deference is also not owed when the appellate court disagrees with the trial judge’s conclusions on the Charter breaches ( Grant , at para. 129 ; Lafrance , at para. 91).
Nor is deference owed to a trial judge’s s. 24(2) analysis conducted in the alternative, because such an analysis involves an artificial evaluation of the seriousness of a Charter breach and the impact on Charter -protected interests that the trial judge did not find ( Grant , at para. 129 ; R. v. Paterson , 2017 SCC 15 , [2017] 1 S.C.R. 202 , at para. 42 ; Le , at para. 138; Tim , at para. 72; Lafrance , at para. 91; R. v. G.T.D. , 2017 ABCA 274 , 57 Alta.
L.R. (6th) 213 , at para. 51 , per Veldhuis J.A., dissenting, appeal allowed substantially for the reasons of Veldhuis J.A., 2018 SCC 7 , [2018] 1 S.C.R. 220 , at para. 3 ). Similarly, no deference is owed to a trial judge’s s. 24(2) analysis conducted in the alternative when the trial judge found that the impugned evidence was not “obtained in a manner” that breached the Charter .
Such an alternative analysis likewise involves an artificial evaluation of the seriousness of a Charter breach and its impact on Charter -protected interests that the trial judge found were unconnected to the impugned evidence. [para. 118] [ 14 ] LeBlond J.A. of our Court commented on deference and s. 24(4) in R. v. Landry , 2020 NBCA 72 , [2020] N.B.J. No. 334 : Deference is generally owed to a trial judge's conclusion on s. 24(2). However, if the trial judge did not find a breach of the Charter , or failed to apply the Grant factors, the standard of review would be correctness.
Because the provincial court judge in this case was wrong in finding that a s. 10(
b) Charter breach did not occur and as a result, offered no analysis on whether the evidence ought to be excluded, it was for the Court sitting on appeal to determine that question ( R. v. Grant , 2009 SCC 32 , [2009] 2 S.C.R. 353 , at para. 86 ; R. v. Le , 2019 SCC 34 , [2019] S.C.J. No. 34 (QL) ). [para. 17] The standard of review is correctness. [ 15 ] The framework for determining whether to exclude evidence under s. 24(2) is well established. A court must consider the three factors delineated in Grant : a. The seriousness of the Charter- infringing state conduct; b.
The impact of the breach of the Charter -protected interests of the accused; and c. Society’s interest in the adjudication of the case on its merits.
[ 16 ] The Crown acknowledges that Mr. Jamieson has a compelling basis to argue in favour of exclusion based primarily on the first and second lines of inquiry under the Grant analysis. In fact, the Crown agrees that the first two Grant factors weigh in favour of exclusion. However, the Crown submits we must bear in mind that impaired driving is a serious societal problem, something that must be considered as part of the third Grant factor. The Supreme Court has underscored the severity of this problem, including in R. v.
Alex , 2017 SCC 37 , [2017] 1 S.C.R. 967 , at para. 1 . [ 17 ] In the present case, it is incumbent upon us to consider all three of the Grant factors and make the ultimate determination whether, on balance, they favour exclusion or admission. [ 18 ] In a recent impaired driving case, R. v. McColman , 2023 SCC 8 , [2023] S.C.J. No. 8 (QL) , the Supreme Court provided a detailed analysis of the Grant factors. In that case, the police conducted a random stop on private property, which the Supreme Court found was done without statutory authority. As a result, the stop was found to violate Mr.
McColman’s s. 9 Charter right against arbitrary detention. [ 19 ] The law on the first line of inquiry engaged in a s. 24(2) analysis under Grant is best stated by reproducing the Supreme Court’s analysis in McColman : The first line of inquiry focuses on the extent to which the state conduct at issue deviates from the rule of law.
As this Court stated in Grant , at para. 72 , this line of inquiry “requires a court to assess whether the admission of the evidence would bring the administration of justice into disrepute by sending a message to the public that the courts, as institutions responsible for the administration of justice, effectively condone state deviation from the rule of law by failing to dissociate themselves from the fruits of that unlawful conduct.” Or as this Court phrased it in R. v.
Harrison , 2009 SCC 34 , [2009] 2 S.C.R. 494 , at para. 22 : “Did [the police conduct] involve misconduct from which the court should be concerned to dissociate itself?” In evaluating the gravity of the state conduct at issue, a court must “situate that conduct on a scale of culpability”: R. v. Paterson , 2017 SCC 15 , [2017] 1 S.C.R. 202 , at para. 43 . As Justice Doherty observed in R. v.
Blake , 2010 ONCA 1 , 251 C.C.C. (3d) 4 , “the graver the state’s misconduct the stronger the need to preserve the long-term repute of the administration of justice by disassociating the court’s processes from that misconduct”: para. 23. To properly situate state conduct on the “scale of culpability,” courts must also ask whether the presence of surrounding circumstances attenuates or exacerbates the seriousness of the state conduct: Grant , at para. 75 . Were the police compelled to act quickly in order to prevent the disappearance of evidence? Did the police act in good faith?
Could the police have obtained the evidence without a Charter violation? Only by adopting a holistic analysis can a court properly situate state conduct on the scale of culpability. It should be noted at the outset that the first and second lines of inquiry are distinct. The first line of inquiry evaluates the state conduct itself, while the second line of inquiry goes further and assesses the impact of the state conduct on the accused’s Charter -protected interests.
This Court has noted that “[w]hile the first two lines of inquiry typically work in tandem in the sense that both pull towards exclusion of the evidence, they need not pull with identical degrees of force in order to compel exclusion”: R. v. Le , 2019 SCC 34 , [2019] 2 S.C.R. 692 , at para. 141 . As noted in R. v. Lafrance , 2022 SCC 32 , at para. 90 , “it is the cumulative weight of the first two lines of inquiry that trial judges must consider and balance against the third line of inquiry when assessing whether evidence should be excluded” (emphasis in original).
In certain situations, only one of the first two lines of inquiry will pull towards exclusion of the evidence. State conduct that is not particularly serious may nonetheless heavily impact the accused’s Charter -protected interests. Conversely, state conduct that is egregious may minimally impact the accused’s Charter -protected interests.
Courts must be careful not to collapse the first two lines of inquiry into one, unstructured analysis. [Emphasis in original; paras. 57-59] [ 20 ] In McColman , the Supreme Court concluded the inquiry pulled slightly in favour of exclusion because, although the police conduct violated Mr. McColman’s right, there was legal uncertainty at the time about the extent of police power to act as they did. I find the same in the present case. When Mr. Jamieson was stopped, the state of the law was not yet clear on the meaning of the “forthwith” requirements of s. 254(2) .
That is evidenced by the rulings of both the trial judge and the
summary conviction appeal court judge. [ 21 ] The second line of inquiry in Grant is explained as follows in McColman : The second line of inquiry is aimed at the concern that admitting evidence obtained in violation of the Charter may send a message to the public that Charter rights are of little actual avail to the citizen. Courts must evaluate the extent to which the breach “actually undermined the interests protected by the right infringed”: Grant , at para. 76 . Like the first line of inquiry, the second line envisions a sliding scale of conduct, with “fleeting and technical” breaches at one end of the scale and “profoundly intrusive” breaches at the other:
para. 76. For example, in R. v. Tim, 2022 SCC 12, the impact on the accused’s s. 9 interests was found to fall somewhere in the middle of thespectrum. The impact of the accused’s arbitrary arrest was mitigated to some degree because although he was arrested on the basis of amistake of law about the legal status of a drug, he was lawfully detained for a traffic collision investigation: para. 92. By contrast,in Harrison, this Court found that the impact was more significant because the accused was stopped and his vehicle was subjected to asearch without lawful justification: para. 31; see also R. v.
Mann, 2004 SCC 52, [2004] 3 S.C.R. 59, at para. 56. [paras. 66-67] [22] In McColman, the Supreme Court held that this line of inquiry favoured exclusion. I find thesame in the present case. The violation of Mr. Jamieson’s rights resulted in an extended detention and his provision of evidence againsthimself in the form of samples of his breath. Had Mr. Jamieson been informed of the officer’s suspicions and given an opportunity tocall a lawyer before supplying samples of his breath, he might have been advised the demand was unlawful because an ASD was notreadily available.
As the Supreme Court did in McColman, I conclude that the unlawful police conduct in this case “constituted amarked, although not egregious, intrusion” on Mr. Jamieson’s Charter-protected interests (para. 68). [23] Finally, the third line of inquiry in Grant is described as follows in McColman: Under this third line of inquiry, courts should consider factors such as the reliability of the evidence, the importance of the evidence tothe Crown’s case, and the seriousness of the alleged offence, although this Court has recognized that the final factor can cut both ways:Grant, at paras. 81 and 83-84.
While the public has a heightened interest in a determination on the merits where the offence is serious, italso has a vital interest in maintaining a justice system that is above reproach: para. 84. While there is an obvious impact upon the administration of justice in admitting evidence obtained in contravention of s. 9 of theCharter, admitting the evidence in the case at bar would not damage the long-term repute of the administration of justice. First, theevidence collected by the police was reliable and crucial to the Crown’s case. Cst.
Lobsinger observed several signs of impairment at thescene, including a strong odour of alcohol and Mr. McColman’s inability to stand up straight. Mr. McColman admitted to the officersthat he “might’ve had 10” beers that evening. Two breathalyzer tests, conducted some time after he vomited due to his alcoholconsumption, revealed that Mr. McColman’s blood alcohol concentration level was significantly above the legal limit. Second, impaired driving is a serious offence. This Court has recognized that society has a vital interest in combatting drinking anddriving. In R. v.
Bernshaw, (SCC), [1995] 1 S.C.R. 254, at para. 16, Cory J. noted: Every year, drunk driving leaves a terrible trail of death, injury, heartbreak and destruction. From the point of view of numbers alone, ithas a far greater impact on Canadian society than any other crime. In terms of the deaths and serious injuries resulting in hospitalization,drunk driving is clearly the crime which causes the most significant social loss to the country. (See also R. v.
Lacasse, 2015 SCC 64, [2015] 3 S.C.R. 1089, at para. 8.) [paras. 70-72] [24] These comments apply equally in the present case. [25] In final analysis, in McColman, the Supreme Court balanced the Grant factors and ruled that theevidence should not be excluded under s. 24(2). The Court determined that both the first and second of the Grant factors weighed infavour of exclusion, while the third weighed so strongly in favour of admission that it tipped the balance.
The Court reasoned as follows: When balancing the Grant factors, the cumulative weight of the first two lines of inquiry must be balanced against the third line ofinquiry: Lafrance, at para. 90; R. v. Beaver, 2022 SCC 54, at para. 134. Here, the first line of inquiry slightly favours exclusion of theevidence and the second line of inquiry does so moderately.
However, the third line of inquiry pulls strongly in favour of inclusion and,in our view, outweighs the cumulative weight of the first two lines of inquiry because of the crucial and reliable nature of the evidence aswell as the important public policy concerns about the scourge of impaired driving. On the whole, considering all of the circumstances,the evidence should not be excluded under s. 24(2). [para. 74] [26] For all practical purposes, the present case is indistinguishable from McColman.
While thecases are factually different, in both, the first of the Grant factors weighs slightly in favour of exclusion, the second weighs more
strongly in favour of exclusion, but the third weighs so strongly in favour of admission that it tips the balance. In my view, the administration of justice was not brought into disrepute by the admission of the breathalyzer readings. IV. Disposition [ 27 ] For the reasons set out above, I would grant leave to appeal but dismiss the appeal against conviction. Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par LA JUGE QUIGG I. Introduction [1] Le 25 janvier 2018, une agente de la GRC a intercepté un véhicule à moteur dont la vignette d’immatriculation avait expiré.
Ses échanges avec le conducteur, Brian Jamieson, lui ont donné des raisons de soupçonner une conduite avec capacité affaiblie. Dès ce moment, deux méthodes d’enquête s’offraient à l’agente pour déterminer si ses soupçons pouvaient devenir les motifs raisonnables et probables qui justifieraient qu’elle ordonne à M. Jamieson de l’accompagner pour fournir un échantillon de son haleine dans un alcootest.
Suivant ce qui était alors le par. 254(2) du Code criminel (auquel a succédé une disposition semblable, le par. 320.27(1) ), elle pouvait lui ordonner de se soumettre à l’une des mesures qui suivent ou aux deux : (1) subir immédiatement des épreuves de coordination des mouvements; (2) fournir immédiatement un échantillon d’haleine, prélevé au moyen d’un appareil de détection approuvé (ADA) ( al. 254(2)
a) et b)). Elle a recouru à la seconde méthode, mais après avoir attendu de 10 à 12 minutes, le temps qu’un autre agent se présente sur les lieux avec un ADA. [2] Il est acquis en droit que la détention de M.
Jamieson, une fois formés les motifs raisonnables de l’agente de soupçonner qu’il avait conduit sous l’effet de l’alcool, était une détention qui aurait normalement fait intervenir les droits garantis par la Charte canadienne des droits et libertés , si ce n’est qu’une détention reposant sur le par. 254(2) restreint ces droits, aux termes de l’article premier de la Charte , par une règle de droit dans des limites raisonnables ( R. c. Breault , 2023 CSC 9 , [2023] A.C.S. n o 9 (QL) , par. 34 , où est cité R. c. Woods , 2005 CSC 42 , [2005] 2 R.C.S. 205 , par. 15 ).
L’exigence d’immédiateté prescrite au par. 254(2) est l’assise sur le fondement de laquelle les tribunaux ont conclu que la limite est raisonnable. [3] En l’espèce, le juge du procès et le juge de la cour d’appel en matière de poursuites
sommaires ont conclu tous les deux que l’ordre intimé par l’agente, après avoir attendu l’ADA de 10 à 12 minutes, ne contrevenait pas à cette exigence. [4] M. Jamieson a sollicité de notre Cour l’autorisation de porter en appel le rejet, par le juge de la cour d’appel en matière de poursuites
sommaires, de l’appel qu’il avait formé contre sa déclaration de culpabilité. Parce qu’il était escompté que la décision que la Cour suprême rendrait dans l’affaire Breault toucherait la question, la demande d’autorisation de M. Jamieson a été mise en suspens, du consentement des parties, en attendant la publication de cette décision. [5] À l’époque où l’affaire a été instruite, l’incertitude régnait, en droit, sur l’interprétation à donner de l’exigence d’immédiateté prescrite au par. 254(2).
Dans l’arrêt Breault , la Cour suprême a levé toute incertitude sur l’interprétation de l’exigence, imposée par ce paragraphe, de procéder « immédiatement ». À moins de circonstances inhabituelles, « immédiatement » veut dire « [à] l’instant même, tout de suite », et la simple absence d’un ADA sur les lieux, au moment de la formulation de l’ordre, ne constitue pas une circonstance inhabituelle. [6] Il est intéressant de noter que les faits de l’espèce diffèrent de ceux de l’affaire Breault . Tandis
que l’attente a suivi l’ordre dans Breault , l’ordre a suivi l’attente en l’espèce. Savoir si cette différence porte à conséquence ou non est une question qui ne sera pas abordée aujourd’hui, parce que l’avocat du ministère public concède, vu l’arrêt Breault , la violation des droits que garantissent les art. 8 et 9 et les al. 10a) et
b) de la Charte . [7] Puisque le ministère public concède la violation de droits que la Charte garantit à M. Jamieson, seule a été débattue devant notre Cour la question de savoir s’il y a lieu d’écarter les éléments de preuve obtenus par suite de cette violation parce que leur utilisation est susceptible de déconsidérer l’administration de la justice. À la lumière de l’analyse à trois volets que la Cour suprême a introduite dans R. c. Grant , 2009 CSC 32 , [2009] 2 R.C.S. 353 , je conclus qu’il n’y a pas lieu d’écarter les éléments de preuve. Pour ce motif, malgré que je sois d’avis d’accorder à M.
Jamieson l’autorisation d’interjeter appel, je suis d’avis de rejeter son appel. II. Contexte [8] Le 25 janvier 2018 à 23 h 25, une agente de la GRC a intercepté la voiture de M. Jamieson parce que sa vignette d’immatriculation avait expiré. À la portière de la voiture, elle a demandé à M. Jamieson de lui remettre ses permis de conduire et certificat d’immatriculation. M. Jamieson lui a présenté son permis, de même qu’un certificat d’immatriculation qui avait expiré.
Pendant qu’il lui remettait ces pièces et s’entretenait avec elle, l’agente a senti une odeur d’alcool émanant de son haleine et soupçonné, de ce fait, qu’il avait conduit lorsque sa capacité était affaiblie. Elle a indiqué à M. Jamieson qu’elle reviendrait, puis elle est retournée à sa voiture de patrouille avec le permis de conduire et le certificat d’immatriculation qui avait expiré . [9] Au moment de l’interception, l’agente n’avait pas d’ADA dans sa voiture de patrouille. Par conséquent, elle a demandé si un autre agent, dans les environs, pouvait lui en apporter un.
Un collègue l’a avisée qu’il était à proximité et qu’il lui laisserait un ADA quelques minutes plus tard. Entretemps, l’agente a procédé à une enquête supplémentaire sur le permis de conduire et sur le certificat d’immatriculation de M. Jamieson. Elle a reçu l’ADA à 23 h 39, 14 minutes après l’interception initiale. Une minute plus tard, elle ordonnait à M. Jamieson de fournir un échantillon d’haleine prélevé à l’aide d’un ADA, ce à quoi il a acquiescé. Elle lui a demandé de la suivre jusqu’à sa voiture de patrouille. Le résultat indiqué par l’ADA a donné à l’agente des motifs raisonnables d’arrêter M.
Jamieson pour conduite avec capacité affaiblie et pour lui intimer l’ordre de l’accompagner au détachement afin d’y fournir un échantillon d’haleine qui serait analysé par alcootest. Elle l’a avisé de son droit à l’assistance d’un avocat et de son droit de garder le silence. Il a répondu à l’agente qu’il souhaitait contacter un avocat. Il a eu la possibilité de s’entretenir avec un avocat à leur arrivée au détachement, à 0 h 07 . Après avoir tenté en vain de joindre deux avocats, M. Jamieson s’est entretenu avec l’avocat de service avant d’accepter de fournir des échantillons d’haleine.
L’alcootest a révélé des alcoolémies excessives : la présence de 190 mg d’alcool par 100 ml de sang a été mesurée par deux fois. M. Jamieson a été inculpé de conduite avec capacité affaiblie, ainsi que de conduite d’un véhicule avec une alcoolémie supérieure à 80 mg d’alcool par 100 ml de sang. [10] Au procès, l’avocat de M. Jamieson a soutenu que l’ordre de fournir un échantillon d’haleine n’avait pas été donné « immédiatement », comme le prescrivait à l’époque le par. 254(2) du Code criminel .
Il a avancé que, entre l’interception et l’ordre donné, son client avait subi une détention, sinon physique, du moins psychologique. Le juge du procès a constaté que l’interception avait eu lieu à 23 h 25 et que l’ordre avait été donné à 23 h 39. L’avocat de M. Jamieson estimait que l’attente de 10 à 12 minutes qui avait suivi la formation de soupçons s’était traduite par un ordre qui ne se conformait pas au par. 254(2) , ce qui constituait une violation du droit, garanti à M.
Jamieson par l’ al. 10b) de la Charte , à l’assistance d’un avocat. [11] Le juge du procès a conclu que, encore que l’ordre n’eût pas été donné immédiatement, il avait été donné sans trop tarder, dans les circonstances, car l’agente avait été occupée, durant au moins une
partie du temps passé à attendre que son collègue lui apporte l’ADA, à enquêter sur le permis de conduire et le certificat d’immatriculation de M. Jamieson. Il n’avait donc pas été déraisonnable qu’elle attende 14 minutes tout au plus avant d’intimer l’ordre de fournir un échantillon destiné à l’ADA. Le juge a procédé subsidiairement à une analyse provisoire pour l’application du par. 24(2) et jugé que, même à supposer une violation de la Charte , il y aurait néanmoins eu lieu, suivant l’analyse établie dans l’arrêt Grant , d’utiliser les alcoolémies mesurées par l’alcootest. L a cour d’appel en matière de poursuites
sommaires a rejeté l’appel de M. Jamieson pour le motif que, en dépit du temps qui s’était écoulé entre le soupçon formé et l’ordre donné, l’ordre de fournir un échantillon d’haleine répondait à l’exigence d’immédiateté prescrite au par. 254(2) . [12] Nous avons vu que M. Jamieson a demandé l’autorisation d’appeler de cette décision. Il avançait, dans cette demande initiale, que le juge du procès et le juge de la cour d’appel en matière de poursuites
sommaires avaient commis une erreur lorsqu’ils avaient conclu que l’exigence d’immédiateté prescrite au par. 254(2) était remplie. À la lumière de l’arrêt Breault , le ministère public concède que ce moyen est fondé . L’unique question en litige est donc celle de savoir s’il faut écarter les résultats des analyses d’haleine sur le fondement du par. 24(2).
III. Analyse [13] Je conviens avec les deux parties que les analyses auxquelles les juges de première instance se livrent sur le fondement du par. 24(2) commandent ordinairement la déférence en appel. Il n’en est pas ainsi, cependant, lorsque l’analyse n’est que de nature provisoire, comme en l’espèce. La Cour suprême du Canada a précisé quand il y a lieu de faire preuve de déférence à l’égard d’une analyse fondée sur le par. 24(2) dans R. c.
Beaver , 2022 CSC 54 , [2022] A.C.S. n o 54 (QL) : En appel, les conclusions de fait tirées par le juge du procès dans l’application du par. 24(2) commandent la déférence, mais aucune déférence ne s’impose à l’égard de l’application du droit aux faits ( Grant , par. 43 et 86 ; Lafrance , par. 91 ). De plus, la cour d’appel n’a pas à faire montre de déférence lorsqu’elle ne souscrit pas aux conclusions du juge du procès concernant les violations de la Charte ( Grant , par. 129 ; Lafrance , par. 91 ). La déférence ne s’impose pas non plus à l’égard de l’analyse du par. 24(2) effectuée par le juge du procès à
titre subsidiaire, parce qu’une telle analyse suppose une évaluation artificielle de la gravité de la violation de la Charte et de l’incidence de cette violation sur des intérêts protégés par la Charte que le juge n’a pas constatés ( Grant , par. 129 ; R. c. Paterson , 2017 CSC 15 , 1 R.C.S. 202 , par. 42 ; Le , par. 138; Tim , par. 72 ; Lafrance , par. 91 ; R. c. G.T.D. , 2017 ABCA 274 , 57 Alta. L.R. (6th) 213 , par. 51 , la juge Veldhuis, dissidente, pourvoi accueilli essentiellement pour les motifs énoncés par la juge Veldhuis, 2018 CSC 7 , 1 R.C.S. 220 , par. 3 ). De même, aucune déférence ne s’impose à l’égard de l’analyse du par. 24(2) menée à
titre subsidiaire par le juge du procès lorsque ce dernier conclut que les éléments de preuve contestés n’ont pas été « obtenus dans des conditions » qui portent atteinte à la Charte . Une telle analyse subsidiaire suppose aussi une évaluation artificielle de la gravité de la violation de la Charte et de l’incidence de cette violation sur des intérêts protégés par la Charte qui, selon le juge du procès, n’étaient pas liés aux éléments de preuve contestés. [par. 118] [14] Le juge d’appel LeBlond, de notre Cour, a fait les observations suivantes sur la déférence et le par. 24(2) dans R. c.
Landry , 2020 NBCA 72 , [2020] A.N.-B. n o 334 : En général, la déférence est accordée au juge du procès en ce qui concerne ses conclusions sur le par. 24(2). Cependant, si le juge du procès détermine qu’il n’y a eu aucune violation de la Charte ou s’il omet d’appliquer les facteurs Grant , la norme de contrôle est la décision correcte. En l’occurrence, parce que le juge du procès a commis une erreur en concluant qu’il n’y avait pas eu violation de l’al. 10
b) et qu’il n’a donc fait aucune analyse à savoir si la preuve devait être écartée, la cour siégeant en appel doit déterminer cette question ( R. c. Grant , 2009 CSC 32 , [2009] 2 R.C.S. 353 , par. 86 ; R. c. Le , 2019 CSC 34 , [2019] A.C.S. n o 34 (QL) ). [par. 17] La norme de contrôle est celle de la décision correcte. [15] Le cadre de l’analyse à réaliser pour déterminer s’il y a lieu d’écarter des éléments de preuve sur le fondement du par. 24(2) est bien établi. Une cour doit examiner les trois facteurs énoncés dans l’arrêt Grant :
a) la gravité de la conduite attentatoire de l’État;
b) l’incidence de la violation sur les intérêts de l’accusé protégés par la Charte ;
c) l’intérêt de la société à ce que l’affaire soit jugée au fond. [16] Le ministère public admet que les moyens avancés par M. Jamieson pour plaider en faveur de l’exclusion sont convaincants. Ces moyens sont axés principalement sur les première et deuxième questions que requiert d’examiner l’analyse issue de l’arrêt Grant . En fait, le ministère public convient que les deux premiers facteurs de l’arrêt Grant jouent en faveur de l’exclusion des éléments de preuve.
Il fait valoir cependant qu’il ne faut pas oublier que la conduite avec capacité affaiblie est un problème social sérieux, ce que le troisième facteur de l’arrêt Grant exige de prendre en considération. La Cour suprême a souligné la gravité de ce problème, notamment dans R. c. Alex , 2017 CSC 37 , [2017] 1 R.C.S. 967 , au par. 1 . [17] Il nous incombe en l’espèce d’examiner chacun des trois facteurs de l’arrêt Grant et de déterminer enfin si, tout bien pesé, ils jouent en faveur de l’exclusion ou de l’utilisation des éléments de preuve. [18] Dans R. c.
McColman , 2023 CSC 8 , [2023] A.C.S. n o 8 (QL) , arrêt récent prononcé dans une
affaire de conduite avec capacité affaiblie, la Cour suprême a donné une analyse détaillée des facteurs issus de l’arrêt Grant . La police avait procédé à une interception aléatoire sur une propriété privée, interception dont la Cour suprême a jugé qu’elle avait été pratiquée sans autorisation légale. Elle a conclu que, de ce fait, l’interception avait violé le droit de M.
McColman à la protection contre la détention arbitraire, droit garanti par l’ art. 9 de la Charte . [19] La première question soulevée par l’analyse que prévoit l’arrêt Grant pour l’application du par. 24(2) fait intervenir des principes de droit qui ne pourront être mieux exprimés qu’en reproduisant l’analyse donnée par la Cour suprême dans l’arrêt McColman : La première question met l’accent sur la mesure dans laquelle la conduite étatique en cause s’écarte du principe de la primauté du droit.
Comme notre Cour l’a déclaré dans l’arrêt Grant , par. 72 , lorsqu’il se penche sur cette question, « le tribunal doit évaluer si l’utilisation d’éléments de preuve déconsidérerait l’administration de la justice en donnant à penser que les tribunaux, en tant qu’institution devant répondre de l’administration de la justice, tolèrent en fait les entorses de l’État au principe de la primauté du droit en ne se dissociant pas du fruit de ces conduites illégales ». Ou, pour reprendre les termes utilisés par la Cour dans R. c.
Harrison , 2009 CSC 34 , [2009] 2 R.C.S. 494 , par. 22 : « S’agit-il d’une inconduite [policière] dont le tribunal devrait souhaiter se dissocier? » Lorsqu’il évalue la gravité de la conduite étatique en cause, le tribunal doit « situer cette conduite sur l’échelle de culpabilité » : R. c. Paterson , 2017 CSC 15 , [2017] 1 R.C.S. 202 , par. 43 . Comme le juge Doherty l’a fait observer dans R. c.
Blake , 2010 ONCA 1 , 251 C.C.C. (3d) 4 , [TRADUCTION] « plus l’inconduite de l’État est grave, plus il est nécessaire de préserver la considération à long terme portée à l’administration de la justice en dissociant les processus judiciaires de cette inconduite » : par. 23. Pour situer adéquatement la conduite étatique sur l’« échelle de culpabilité », les tribunaux doivent également se demander si la présence de circonstances contextuelles diminue ou exacerbe la gravité de la conduite étatique : Grant , par. 75 . La police était-elle obligée d’agir rapidement pour empêcher la disparition d’éléments de preuve?
A-t-elle agi de bonne foi? Aurait-elle pu obtenir les éléments de preuve sans violer la Charte ? Ce n’est qu’en adoptant une analyse globale que le tribunal peut situer adéquatement la conduite étatique sur l’échelle de culpabilité. Il convient de signaler d’entrée de jeu que la première et la deuxième question sont distinctes. La première question évalue la conduite étatique elle-même, tandis que la deuxième question va plus loin et apprécie l’incidence de la conduite étatique sur les intérêts de l’accusé protégés par la Charte .
Notre Cour a souligné que « [b]ien que les deux premières questions agissent généralement en tandem en ce qu’elles font toutes deux pencher la balance en faveur de l’exclusion des éléments de preuve, le niveau de force avec lequel elles font pencher la balance n’a pas besoin d’être identique pour que l’exclusion soit requise » : R. c. Le , 2019 CSC 34 , [2019] 2 R.C.S. 692 , par. 141 . Comme il a été noté dans R. c.
Lafrance , 2022 CSC 32 , par. 90 , « c’est le poids cumulatif des deux premières questions que les juges du procès doivent considérer et mettre en balance par rapport à la troisième question lorsqu’ils examinent si les éléments de preuve devraient être écartés » (en italique dans l’original). Dans certaines situations, seule une des deux premières questions militera en faveur de l’exclusion des éléments de preuve. La conduite étatique qui n’est pas particulièrement grave pourrait néanmoins avoir une incidence importante sur les intérêts de l’accusé protégés par la Charte .
À l’inverse, la conduite étatique qui est scandaleuse pourrait avoir une incidence minimale sur les intérêts de l’accusé protégés par la Charte . Les tribunaux doivent prendre garde de ne pas regrouper les deux premières questions en une seule analyse non structurée. [Italique dans l’original; par. 57 à 59] [20] Dans l’arrêt McColman , la Cour suprême a conclu que le premier facteur militait légèrement en faveur de l’exclusion, parce que, quoique la conduite de la police eût violé un droit reconnu à M.
McColman, une incertitude juridique existait à l’époque sur le pouvoir de la police d’agir comme elle l’avait fait. Je tire une conclusion analogue en l’espèce. Lors de l’interception de la voiture de M. Jamieson, l’état du droit quant au sens de l’exigence de procéder « immédiatement » prescrite au par. 254(2) n’avait pas été clarifié. En témoignent les décisions du juge du procès et du juge de la cour d’appel en matière de poursuites
sommaires. [21] La deuxième question que l’arrêt Grant demande d’examiner donne lieu, dans l’arrêt McColman , aux explications suivantes : La deuxième question vise la crainte que l’utilisation d’éléments de preuve obtenus en violation de la Charte puisse donner à penser aux citoyens que les droits garantis par la Charte ne revêtent pas d’utilité réelle pour eux. Les tribunaux doivent évaluer la portée « réelle de l’atteinte [par la violation] aux intérêts protégés par le droit en cause » : Grant , par. 76 .
À l’instar de la première question, la deuxième question envisage une échelle variable de conduites, les violations « passag[ères] ou d’ordre simplement formel » se trouvant à une extrémité de l’échelle et les violations « profondément attentatoire[s] » se trouvant à l’autre : par. 76. Par exemple, dans l’arrêt R. c. Tim , 2022 CSC 12 , il a été jugé que l’incidence sur les intérêts de l’accusé protégés par l’ art. 9 se situait
quelque part au milieu du spectre. L’incidence de l’arrestation arbitraire de l’accusé a été atténuée dans une certaine mesure parce que,bien qu’il ait été arrêté sur la base d’une erreur de droit quant au statut juridique d’une drogue, il a été détenu légalement aux fins d’uneenquête liée à un accident de la route : par. 92. En revanche, dans Harrison, notre Cour a conclu que l’incidence était plus importanteparce que l’accusé avait été intercepté et que son véhicule avait été fouillé sans justification légitime : par. 31; voir aussi R. c.
Mann,2004 CSC 52, [2004] 3 R.C.S. 59, par. 56. [par. 66 et 67] [22] Dans l’arrêt McColman, la Cour suprême a conclu que ce facteur militait en faveur del’exclusion. Je conclus qu’il en va de même en l’espèce. En conséquence de la violation de ses droits, M. Jamieson a subi une détentionprolongée et a fourni, sous forme d’échantillons de son haleine, des éléments de preuve qui l’incriminaient.
S’il avait été informé dessoupçons de l’agente et s’il avait eu la possibilité de téléphoner à un avocat avant de fournir des échantillons de son haleine, peut-être cetavocat lui aurait-il indiqué que l’ordre était illégal parce que l’agente n’avait pas d’ADA à sa disposition. Comme la Cour suprême dansl’arrêt McColman, je conclus que la conduite illégale de la police en l’espèce « constituait une atteinte marquée, sans être des plusextrêmes », aux intérêts de M.
Jamieson protégés par la Charte (par. 68). [23] Enfin, la troisième question que l’arrêt Grant requiert d’examiner est décrite de la façonsuivante dans l’arrêt McColman : Suivant cette troisième question, les tribunaux devraient tenir compte de facteurs comme la fiabilité des éléments de preuve, l’importancede ceux-ci pour la cause du ministère public et la gravité de l’infraction reprochée, quoique notre Cour ait reconnu que le dernier facteurpouvait jouer dans les deux sens : Grant, par. 81 et 83-84.
Bien qu’il ait un intérêt accru à ce qu’il y ait un jugement au fond sil’infraction est grave, le public a aussi un intérêt vital à ce que le système de justice demeure irréprochable : par. 84. Quoique l’utilisation d’une preuve obtenue en contravention de l’art. 9 de la Charte ait une incidence manifeste sur l’administration de lajustice, l’utilisation des éléments de preuve en l’espèce n’est pas susceptible d’affaiblir la considération à long terme portée àl’administration de la justice. Premièrement, les éléments de preuve recueillis par la police étaient fiables et cruciaux pour la cause duministère public.
L’agent Lobsinger a observé sur les lieux plusieurs signes d’affaiblissement des facultés, notamment une forte odeurd’alcool et l’incapacité de M. McColman de se tenir droit debout. Monsieur McColman a admis aux policiers qu’il avait[TRADUCTION] « peut-être bu 10 » bières ce soir-là. Deux alcootests, effectués quelque temps après que M. McColman eut vomi enraison de sa consommation d’alcool, ont révélé chez lui une alcoolémie qui était notablement supérieure à la limite légale. Deuxièmement, la conduite avec facultés affaiblies est une infraction grave.
Notre Cour a reconnu que la société a un intérêt vital à luttercontre l’alcool au volant. Dans l’arrêt R. c. Bernshaw, (SCC), [1995] 1 R.C.S. 254, par. 16, le juge Cory a souligné : Chaque année, l’ivresse au volant entraîne énormément de décès, de blessures, de peine et de destruction. Au plan numérique seulement,l’ivresse au volant a une plus grande incidence sur la société canadienne que tout autre crime.
Du point de vue des décès et des blessuresgraves donnant lieu à l’hospitalisation, la conduite avec facultés affaiblies est de toute évidence le crime qui cause la plus grande pertesociale au pays. (Voir aussi R. c. Lacasse, 2015 CSC 64, [2015] 3 R.C.S. 1089, par. 8.) [par. 70 à 72] [24] Ces observations s’appliquent tout autant en l’espèce. [25] En dernière analyse, dans l’arrêt McColman, la Cour suprême a mis en balance les facteurs issusde l’arrêt Grant et jugé qu’il n’y avait pas lieu d’écarter les éléments de preuve sur le fondement du par. 24(2).
Elle a conclu que lespremier et deuxième facteurs de l’arrêt Grant jouaient l’un et l’autre en faveur de l’exclusion, mais que le troisième jouait si fortementen faveur de l’utilisation des éléments de preuve qu’il faisait pencher la balance. La Cour a tenu le raisonnement suivant : Lorsqu’on met en balance les facteurs de l’arrêt Grant, le poids cumulatif des deux premières questions doit être mis en balance parrapport à la troisième question : Lafrance, par. 90; R. c. Beaver, 2022 CSC 54, par. 134.
En l’espèce, la première question militelégèrement en faveur de l’exclusion des éléments de preuve et la deuxième question milite modérément en faveur de celle-ci. Cependant,la troisième question penche fortement en faveur de l’inclusion et, à notre avis, l’emporte sur le poids cumulatif des deux premièresquestions en raison de la nature cruciale et fiable des éléments de preuve ainsi que des importantes préoccupations d’ordre public en cequi a trait au fléau de la conduite avec facultés affaiblies.
Dans l’ensemble, eu égard à toutes les circonstances, les éléments de preuve nedoivent pas être écartés en application du par. 24(2). [par. 74]
[26] La présente affaire ne se distingue pas, en pratique, de l’arrêt McColman . Dans chacune des deux causes, bien que les faits diffèrent, le premier facteur de l’arrêt Grant joue légèrement en faveur de l’exclusion, le deuxième plus fortement, mais le troisième joue si fortement en faveur de l’utilisation des éléments de preuve qu’il fait pencher la balance. J’estime que l’utilisation des alcoolémies mesurées n’a nullement déconsidéré l’administration de la justice. IV. Dispositif [27] Pour les motifs que j’ai exposés précédemment, je suis d’avis d’accorder l’autorisation d’appel, mais de rejeter l’appel interjeté de la déclaration de culpabilité.