2020 NBCA 26, 2020 NBCA 26
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 65-19-CA THE ESTATE OF ROBERT WILLIAM McELROY, as represented by JENNIFER McELROY, Administrator for the Estate APPELLANT LA SUCCESSION DE ROBERT WILLIAM McELROY, représentée par JENNIFER McELROY, administratrice successorale APPELANTE - and - - et - DR. JOHN PRENDERGAST RESPONDENT D r JOHN PRENDERGAST INTIMÉ The Estate of Robert William McElroy, as represented by Jennifer McElroy v. Dr.
John Prendergast, 2020 NBCA 26 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Green The Honourable Justice French The Honourable Justice LaVigne La succession de Robert William McElroy, représentée par Jennifer McElroy c. D r John Prendergast, 2020 NBCA 26 CORAM : l’honorable juge Green l’honorable juge French l’honorable juge LaVigne Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: May 28, 2019 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : Le 28 mai 2019 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: [2019] N.B.J.
No. 134 Décision frappée d’appel : [2019] A.N.B. n o 134 Preliminary or incidental proceedings: None Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : aucune Appeal heard: February 11, 2020 Appel entendu : le 11 février 2020
Judgment rendered: April 30, 2020 Jugement rendu : le 30 avril 2020 Reasons for judgment: The Honourable Justice LaVigne Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Green The Honourable Justice French Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: Derek J. Vihvelin For the respondent: Cynthia Jeanne Benson, Q.C. Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge LaVigne Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Green l’honorable juge French Avocats à l'audience : Pour l’appelante : Derek J. Vihvelin Pour l’intimé : Cynthia Jeanne Benson, c.r. THE COURT The appeal is dismissed with costs of $2,500.
LA COUR L’appel est rejeté avec dépens de 2 500 $. The judgment of the Court was delivered by LAVIGNE, J.A. I. Introduction and Overview [ 1 ] Robert McElroy, a 29-year-old man, arrived at a walk-in clinic complainin g of, amongst other things, pain in his chest. He was assessed by a Registered Nurse and then examined by the attending family physician, the respondent, Dr. John Prendergast, who diagnosed a chest wall pain, treated him accordingly and discharged him. Twelve days later, Mr. McElroy died at home of a sudden cardiac death. [ 2 ] The appellant, the Estate of Robert William McElroy, sued Dr.
Prendergast for negligent medical treatment, claiming he breached the standard of care because he had not taken reasonable steps, in light of the symptoms that Mr. McElroy presented, to investigate his condition, such as ordering an electrocardiogram (“ECG”), to rule out a cardiac problem. [ 3 ] A judge of the Court of Queen’s Bench found Dr. Prendergast met the applicable standard of care and dismissed the action. She provisionally assessed damages at $206,273 and awarded costs in the amount of $26,516.62. The decision under appeal is reported at [2019] N.B.J. No. 134 (QL) .
[ 4 ] The Estate is seeking a reversal of the decision so that the claim against Dr. Prendergast be granted and the assessment of damages increased; or, in the alternative, the decision be set aside, and a new trial ordered. [ 5 ] This appeal is mainly about whether, in her assessment of the matter, the trial judge applied the correct legal principles, or committed any palpable and overriding error, in concluding Dr. Prendergast met the standard of care in his treatment of Mr.
McElroy. [ 6 ] For reasons that follow, I have not been persuaded the dismissal of the Estate’s action is the result of any error which would justify appellate intervention. Consequently, I would dismiss the appeal. II. Background Information [ 7 ] On Monday, February 4, 2008, at 10:14 a.m., Mr. McElroy arrived at a walk-in clinic at the Queen’s North Community Health Centre in Minto. He was initially assessed by Ms.
Heather Fraser, a Registered Nurse, who recorded the following: he complained of intermittent pain, lasting one to two minutes, underneath his left shoulder, left back blade, which radiated down his left arm and into the front of his chest ; the pain was sharp and had started three days earlier; he had difficulty taking a breath when the pain was present; he was able to move his left arm without pain; there was no nausea or vomiting, and no medications. [ 8 ] Dr. Prendergast reviewed Ms. Fraser’s notes and saw Mr. McElroy at 10:37 a.m. He took his history and documented his cardiac risk factors.
He noted that he quit smoking three months earlier and had a family history of coronary artery disease. He asked him whether the pain was brought on by exertion such as when walking or climbing stairs. Mr. McElroy responded in the negative and told him the pain had commenced three days earlier when he had started a new task at work that required him to work with his arms extended. [ 9 ] Dr. Prendergast undertook a physical examination of Mr. McElroy, including cardiovascular and respiratory examinations.
He noted he was not in any apparent distress, had normal vital signs, no diabetes, no hypertension, no cardiac-associated symptoms, normal sounding respiration, a normal range of motion of his shoulder, and no tender areas. Dr. Prendergast also had Mr. McElroy demonstrate his new body position at work, which showed the pain to be positional and reproducible with shoulder extension and relieved when his arms were in certain positions. [ 10 ] Dr. Prendergast diagnosed Mr.
McElroy with chest wall pain, suggested a change to his workstation, prescribed Arthrotec (an anti-inflammatory medication), told him to return for assessment if the symptoms remained a concern and discharged him at 10:50 a.m. [ 11 ] On February 16, 2008, Mr. McElroy was found dead in his home. The autopsy report found he died from sudden cardiac death with marked left ventricular hypertrophy . The autopsy also confirmed he had an underlying significant coronary artery disease. [ 12 ] The Estate’s position at trial was that, had Dr. Prendergast taken reasonable steps to investigate Mr.
McElroy’s condition, his underlying cardiac condition could have been detected and treatment undertaken to reduce his risk of cardiac death. The Estate claims that as a result of Dr. Prendergast’s failure to take such steps, Mr. McElroy died, his death being a direct result of Dr. Prendergast’s negligence. It alleged Dr. Prendergast breached the required standard of care because he failed: to ask the appropriate questions of Mr.
McElroy; to order tests, such as an ECG or cardiac blood work; to refer the plaintiff to the proper facility; to consult with specialists; in his duty to diagnose; and, to carry out an appropriate investigation to rule out cardiac conditions. The Estate argued that a reasonable doctor would have taken further steps when presented with a patient having the symptoms and history which Mr. McElroy had. [ 13 ] To the contrary, Dr. Prendergast submitted there was no reason to send Mr.
McElroy for an ECG or blood work where a fulsome examination had revealed no evidence of a cardiac etiology and clear evidence of a musculoskeletal etiology.
[ 14 ] Two medical experts in family medicine were called to give their opinion as to what was expected of Dr. Prendergast on February 4, 2008. Dr. Rose Anne Goodine supported the Estate’s allegation that Dr. Prendergast was negligent, while Dr. John Stewart testified Dr. Prendergast had met the standard of medical care expected of him in the circumstances. [ 15 ] In her report, Dr. Goodine wrote that given Mr. McElroy's presenting complaint, his family history and the nursing assessment, “it was negligent to not obtain a cardiogram and cardiac blood work.
It is possible that these would have been normal, however, they might have given a hint of the severity of his underlying ischemic heart disease and he could have been treated.” The trial judge remarked Dr. Goodine incorrectly thought Mr. McElroy suffered from shortness of breath and believed an ECG was a test that should have been done in every case with chest pain, while Dr. Stewart rejected the idea an ECG was always necessary in every case of chest pain. This was also the view of Dr. Kenneth Melvin and Dr. Ricardo Bessoudo. [ 16 ] In contrast, Dr.
Stewart stated in his report: Working through this document, I find myself in agreement with Dr. Prendergast’s conclusion and advice. There was nothing obvious in the history or physical examination to warrant further testing or specialist consultation. The subsequent disastrous outcome was neither predictable nor preventable based on this clinical presentation. I believe the treatment rendered by Dr. Prendergast was reasonable and appropriate and in keeping with current medical practice standards. [ 17 ] Dr. Melvin and Dr. Bessoudo are experts in cardiology.
They provided their opinion on the issue of the cause of Mr. McElroy’s condition and death and also gave their opinion on other matters, such as whether an ECG should have been performed. [ 18 ] Dr.
Melvin, called by the Estate, noted the typical characteristics of cardiac chest pain: it usually begins in the centre of the chest with tightness, squeezing and heaviness; dull rather than sharp pain; brought on with exertion and relieved with rest; not reproducible with movement; often associated with shortness of breath, sweating, dizziness or fainting and fatigue; and, it may cause increased heart rate, increased blood pressure or abnormal heart sounds. [ 19 ] Dr.
Melvin’s evidence was that “shortness of breath associated with chest pain is decidedly more concerning with respect to a possible cardiovascular etiology” and that “in this situation, an electrocardiogram and a laboratory screen should have been performed” and in the presence of abnormal findings, Mr. McElroy could have been transferred to a major hospital. Dr. Melvin’s evidence was that an ECG was called for because of the presence of chest pain radiating to the left arm and shortness of breath. [ 20 ] Dr. Bessoudo, who teaches cardiology to family medicine residents, was called by Dr. Prendergast.
He observed Dr. Prendergast had excellent clinical notes which described the type of pain, the duration of symptoms and associated symptoms. He stated: “The clinical presentation, as outlined by Dr. Prendergast's notes, was in keeping with non-cardiac, musculoskeletal type of pain that, although there were some cardiac risk factors, there was no clinical indication for any further tests required at the time of his Emergency Room presentation or thereafter .” In his assessment of the symptoms experienced by Mr. McElroy, Dr. Bessoudo testified cardiac chest pain starts in the chest and radiates to the arm.
He agreed with Dr. Prendergast’s diagnosis; on February 4, 2008, Mr. McElroy was suffering from chest wall pain, not cardiac chest pain. He wrote: “Mr. McElroy’s clinical presentation was clearly due to an MSK (musculoskeletal type of pain) type of chest pain (non cardiac pain) that does not, even remotely, suggest the presence of significant coronary artery disease.” [ 21 ] The trial judge acknowledged there was evidence that had an ECG been taken on February 4, 2008, it might have produced an abnormal result. She assessed the evidence and found Mr.
McElroy did not present with chest pain but rather he presented with pain under his left shoulder blade radiating down his left arm and into the front of his chest. She also found the evidence was clear Mr. McElroy had difficulty breathing when the pain was present , but he was not suffering from shortness of breath or other cardiac associated symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, sweating, dizziness, or pain on exertion. [ 22 ] Where there was conflicting evidence, the trial judge preferred the evidence of Drs. Stewart and Bessoudo over that of Drs. Goodine and Melvin.
III. Grounds of Appeal [ 23 ] In its Notice of Appeal, the Estate alleges the trial judge: 1. […] erred at law when [she] struck evidence previously admitted by consent from the record during the trial and after the appellant had finished calling evidence ; 2. […] erred at law by refusing to allow Dr. Kenneth Melvin to give evidence with respect to whether Mr.
McElroy would be alive today; 3. […] erred at law by failing to apply the appropriate test for the standard of care when [she] considered after the fact evidence to assess the Respondent’s level of care; 4. […] erred at law or was patently unreasonable in concluding that there was no evidence to support a breach of the standard of care by failing to consider the relevant facts including the fact that the Respondent and all Expert Witnesses agreed that the Respondent should have, but did not, ask about prior instances of pain; 5. […] was patently unreasonable in finding Dr.
Bessuodo [sic] to be a credible and reliable witness by accepting his evidence regarding the autopsy after he had conceded that he had never seen or heard of the condition he diagnosed being in a patient without “myofibrillar disarray” also being present; 6. […] was patently unreasonable in accepting the expert evidence of Mr. Conrad over Ms. Gmeiner by failing to consider the relevant facts and evidence before the Court; and 7. […] erred at law when [she] awarded costs in accordance with a sum greater than the provisional assessment of damages made by the Court. IV.
Analysis [ 24 ] In its written submissions, the Estate withdrew the seventh ground of appeal which dealt with costs. Since I have concluded the trial judge did not err in concluding Dr. Prendergast had met the standard of care, there is no need to address the sixth ground of appeal against the provisional assessment of damages. [ 25 ] For the same reason, there is also no need to deal with the second ground of appeal concerning the trial judge’s refusal to allow Dr. Melvin to testify respecting possible treatments. Dr. Melvin believed if an ECG had been ordered on the day of Mr.
McElroy’s visit to the walk-in clinic, his coronary artery disease would likely have been diagnosed, and he would, on a balance of probabilities, still be alive at the time of the trial. Dr. Bessoudo disagreed. The Estate attempted to have Dr. Melvin testify as to the treatments possibly available to Mr. McElroy, and the impact of those treatments if his underlying condition had been diagnosed. Dr. Prendergast objected on the basis Dr. Melvin’s report did not discuss treatments of any kind. The trial judge accepted these arguments and qualified Dr.
Melvin to give evidence only on matters which were discussed in his report. In the present case, treatment would only be relevant if I had found the trial judge erred in concluding Dr. Prendergast had met the applicable standard of care. Consequently, there is no need to address this ground to determine the appeal. [ 26 ] Before proceeding with the remaining four grounds of appeal, I will touch on the standard of review.
[ 27 ] Appellate courts review for error; it is not their role to retry cases. The Estate bears the burden of persuading this Court the trial judge made a reversible error. Such an error could result from an incorrect characterization of the applicable standard of care. A trial judge’s assessment of the reliability and credibility of the key witnesses or determination of facts, fault and damages stands to be reviewed by the application of a more deferential standard.
Absent some material error of law or principle in the trial judge’s analysis or some palpable and overriding error in his or her assessment of the evidence, this Court cannot substitute its own views on any of those questions unless the trial judge’s decision on point is clearly wrong or unreasonable, in the sense that nothing in the record could have justified it: Clark v. Gauvin , 2006 NBCA 85 , 303 N.B.R. (2d) 326, at para. 7 , per Drapeau C.J.N.B. (as he then was). See, as well, Housen v. Nikolaisen , 2002 SCC 33 , [2002] 2 S.C.R. 235 ; Lemay v.
Peters , 2014 NBCA 59 , 425 N.B.R. (2d) 336 , at para. 31 , per Richard J.A. (as he then was), leave to appeal refused, 36163 (14 May 2015), [2014] S.C.C.A. No. 495 (QL); Doiron v. Haché , 2005 NBCA 75 , 290 N.B.R. (2d) 79 , per Richard J.A., at para. 76. A. Did the trial judge err at law by striking portions of the autopsy report? [ 28 ] In its first ground of appeal, the Estate alleges the trial judge erred at law by striking from the autopsy report, evidence previously admitted by consent, after the Estate had finished calling evidence. Rule 62.21(9)(
b) of the Rules of Court provides that the Court of Appeal shall not grant a new trial on the ground of improper admission or rejection of evidence unless substantial wrong or miscarriage of justice has resulted. The question of a substantial wrong or miscarriage of justice only arises if it is first found there was an improper admission or rejection of evidence. Dr. Prendergast submits the trial judge did not strike any portion of the autopsy report; rather, she made a determination as to the weight to be given to disputed evidence. I share that view.
The record does not reveal the trial judge struck from the record any portion of the autopsy report. [ 29 ] The parties submitted into evidence a Joint Book of Exhibits which contained 28 different documents, including hospital records, physicians’ charts, income tax information and 13 expert reports. An autopsy report prepared by Dr. Lawrence Lacey was amongst the expert reports. [ 30 ] Written in the clinical history
section of the autopsy report is the following: This 29 year old man had an episode of chest pain in January, 2008 while skating with his children, went to near by [sic] emergency and was thought to have muscle pain. He was found deceased on bedroom floor on February 16, 2008. Reports indicate the patient was a smoker, drank alcohol in unspecified amounts, and worked at a fiberglass factory which was notorious for foul smell in the atmosphere in the town. Information was obtained from coroner sheet and also from RCMP Constable Ian J.
Fahie who attended the post-mortem investigation. [Emphasis added.] [ 31 ] The pathologist went on to describe his examination, observations and final diagnosis. Notably, the report makes no mention of the incident that occurred on February 4, 2008 , when Mr. McElroy went to the walk-in clinic and was thought to have chest wall pain. [ 32 ] The Estate submits the trial judge struck from the record the sentence in the autopsy report that refers to Mr. McElroy having had an episode of chest pain in January 2008, while skating with his children.
It argues this information was of significant importance to his claim, as it was evidence that Mr. McElroy had suffered a prior instance of chest pain upon exertion a few weeks prior to the February 4, 2008 incident. [ 33 ] Knowledge of a prior incident of chest pain upon exertion could have been significant. Dr. Stewart agreed it would have changed his opinion had he known of an incident of prior chest pain upon exertion while skating. Dr. Prendergast also testified had he known of Mr.
McElroy having had pain on exertion, “[i]t would have changed everything” because “[t]hen cardiac causes would have moved immediately to the top of the list. Chest pain on exertion is anginal until proven otherwise;” and therefore, Mr. McElroy “probably would have had lab work drawn, a cardiogram and sent by ambulance” to a hospital. [ 34 ] At this point, more background information is required on the question of whether the evidence was struck. Just before Dr. Bessoudo was called to testify, counsel for Dr. Prendergast raised a concern about the use being made by the
Estate of the alleged January 2008 chest pain incident, which could not be corroborated. She stated that she was of the understanding there was no episode of chest pain while skating in January 2008: Mr.
McElroy’s wife, Jennifer Gill, had testified at discovery that he had not complained to her and she had no recollection of any emergency visit, and there was no evidence from her at trial that this occurred; the medical documentation provided with the sworn Affidavit of Documents did not support a visit to the outpatient clinic or to the family physician in January 2008; and, this prior incident of chest pain was not pleaded as a material fact, nor was it mentioned in the Estate’s Pre-Trial Brief.
Counsel contended that the disputed sentence which had “not been substantiated” was “being put as fact to witnesses” and stated: “[W]e don’t believe that that sentence has probative value, and we would like it struck.” The Estate argued the sentence had probative value and reminded the trial judge that the defence first brought up the incident by asking Dr. Prendergast whether he had been told about the January incident, to which he responded he had not. [ 35 ] The parties agree the trial judge never said she was striking the words from the record or granting counsel’s request.
Here is what she said: There’s no evidence – there’s no independent evidence such as a hospital report or questions put to Mrs. Gill by anybody that in fact in January of the same year, he had complained to her or anyone else about chest pain. But the other questions put to Dr. Stewart and to Dr. Prendergast I think are fair.
And I will keep those questions and answers in mind. [ 36 ] After this ruling, counsel for the Estate told the judge he “would like to reserve the right to recall – to call potential rebuttal evidence,” to which the judge replied: “There’s always that right if you make the right argument.” Counsel for the Estate now agues the fact the trial judge did not question the need for rebuttal evidence indicates she had struck the evidence, because rebuttal evidence would not be necessary otherwise. I do not accept this argument.
Firstly, the trial judge had not, at this point, decided whether the Estate would be permitted to call rebuttal evidence. Secondly, the rebuttal evidence could still be necessary if the Estate wished to add probative value to the disputed words by producing a witness or a document to corroborate the January 2008 incident, since the judge had agreed there was, thus far, no independent evidence the incident had occurred. No further evidence was adduced on this point. [ 37 ] I also note that in his report dated November 8, 2011, Dr. Bessoudo observed the clinical history
section of the autopsy report indicated Mr. McElroy had an episode of chest pain in January 2008 while skating with his children and remarked that at no time had Ms. Fraser or Dr. Prendergast mentioned anything about chest pain while skating. The reference to the January 2008 incident found in Dr. Bessoudo’s report was not removed from the record nor did anyone argue it should be. [ 38 ] Before this Court, counsel for the Estate submitted it proceeded on the assumption the autopsy report, including the disputed words, had been admitted for the truth of its content and argued Dr.
Prendergast ’s answer to a Request to Admit Documents supported his position since Dr. Prendergast admitted the document, without stating he objected to the truth of any portion of it. I do not accept this argument. As per Rule 31.10(1)(
a) of the Rules of Court , “[a] party may request any other party to admit the authenticity of the original or a copy of a document” (emphasis added). The record shows that in the Request to Admit Documents dated March 8, 2018, Dr. Prendergast was “requested to admit the authenticity” of the autopsy report, which he did. [ 39 ] The parties also served on each other a Request to Admit Facts. In a document dated March 1, 2018, prior to the autopsy report being admitted for its authenticity (which only occurred in a document dated March 22, 2018), the Estate requested Dr. Prendergast admit 14 different facts.
Notwithstanding the alleged importance of the prior incident of chest pain to the Estate’s claim, Dr. Prendergast was not asked to admit the incident of January 2008. Although the Estate now argues it was caught by surprise when Dr. Prendergast disputed the truth of the sentence found in the autopsy report, no adjournment was sought. [ 40 ] The Estate correctly notes the trial judge, in her reasons for decision, did not mention the January 2008 incident in the sections entitled “Facts” or “Analysis.” It argues this is further proof she had struck this information from the record and from her mind.
It is not accurate to say the judge did not have this evidence in mind, since she referred to it in her “Conclusion,” to make it clear that no such incident was related to Dr. Prendergast. She observed: “There was a question after the autopsy as to whether Mr. McElroy experienced chest pain while skating. This was never related to Dr. Prendergast on 4 February 2008” (para. 30). [ 41 ] The mere fact a trial judge does not discuss certain evidence in depth is not sufficient grounds for appellate interference: see Housen , at para. 72 .
Trial judges are not obligated to mention, analyze or otherwise deal with every piece of evidence. [ 42 ] Even though the autopsy report, along with many other documents, was admitted into evidence
by consent, there is a difference between what is admitted in evidence and what is accepted by the trial judge as a fact after consideration of all the evidence. The weight to be assigned to the various pieces of evidence is essentially a decision for the trier of fact: see Housen , at para. 58 . [ 43 ] Although the Estate acknowledges the trial judge did not explicitly state she was striking the disputed words from the record, it argues that a reading of the transcript implies she did and urges the Court to read this into the transcript.
I have reviewed the record regarding the complete exchange on this subject between the Court and both counsel and conclude it does not support the Estate’s argument the trial judge struck the information from the record. This ground of appeal has no merit. B. Did the trial judge err at law or was she patently unreasonable in concluding Dr. Prendergast met the applicable standard of care? [ 44 ] Under this heading, I will deal with the remaining grounds of appeal which are all relevant to the standard of care issue.
(1) Credibility and reliability of Dr. Bessoudo’s evidence – Fifth ground of appeal [ 45 ] This ground was not vigorously pursued during the hearing before this Court. However, in its written submission the Estate maintained the trial judge’s decision to accept Dr. Bessoudo’s evidence as being credible and reliable was patently unreasonable because she failed to consider the relevant evidence, including the fact he had never seen or heard of a patient having the condition he diagnosed Mr. McElroy as having, without there also being “myofibrillar disarray.” Although this ground of appeal questions Dr.
Bessoudo’s opinion concerning the cause of Mr. McElroy’s condition and death, I will deal with it briefly as it appears to challenge the credibility and reliability of Dr. Bessoudo’s evidence in general, and some of his evidence was relevant to the issue of standard of care. [ 46 ] As previously noted, the autopsy report found Mr. McElroy died from sudden cardiac death with marked left ventricular hypertrophy (LVH). The expert cardiologists disagreed as to the cause of the plaintiff’s condition and death. They disagreed as to what caused this LVH in Mr. McElroy. Dr. Melvin believed Mr.
McElroy had undiagnosed, untreated hypertension which resulted in his LVH – hypertension being the most common cause of LVH. Dr. Bessoudo disputed this opinion as Mr. McElroy’s medical chart showed only four blood pressure readings, dated 1999 to 2008, all of which were normal. In her decision, the trial judge noted there was no evidence of Mr. McElroy having high blood pressure. Dr. Bessoudo believed Mr. McElroy’s LVH was caused by a congenital cardiac abnormality called hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM). [ 47 ] The Estate challenged Dr.
Bessoudo’s opinion on the cause of the LVH because the autopsy report did not mention the presence of “myofibrillar disarray.” Both experts testified they would expect “myofibrillar disarray” to be present if the LVH was caused by HCM; however, Dr. Melvin stated it would be present in “all HCM patients,” while Dr. Bessoudo said, “not in all cases.” Dr. Bessoudo further testified that a mention in the autopsy report of “fine wavy fibres” could have been a reference to myofibrillar disarray. [ 48 ] Dr. Bessoudo explained the four possible causes of LVH and, based on Mr.
McElroy’s medical charts and autopsy report, ruled out each of these until only HCM remained. Although HCM is less common than the other causes, Dr. Bessoudo opined it was the only cause which was consistent with Mr. McElroy’s clinical picture, and in particular, the excessive thickness of his heart. The trial judge preferred Dr. Bessoudo’s opinion on this point. [ 49 ] It was open to the trial judge to prefer one expert’s evidence over another and to place more weight on certain portions of Dr.
Bessoudo’s evidence, which she found to be more convincing, where the evidence was conflicting: see Stephen Moffett Ltd. v. Her Majesty the Queen in right of the Province of New Brunswick, as represented by the Minister of Transportation , 2005 NBCA 31 , 282 N.B.R. (2d) 337 , at para. 3 ; Housen , at paras. 58 and 72 . [ 50 ] There is no basis in law to interfere with the trial judge’s decision to accept Dr. Bessoudo’s evidence as being credible and reliable; it is not the result of an obvious error. This ground of appeal has no merit and I would dismiss it.
(2) Considering the autopsy report – Third ground of appeal [ 51 ] The Estate argues the trial judge erred in law by failing to apply the appropriate test for the standard of care, because she considered information contained in the autopsy report to assess Dr. Prendergast’s level of care at the time of treatment. [ 52 ] To support its argument, the Estate points to the following comment found in the trial judge’s decision: “Dr.
Bessoudo also confirmed the presence of a chest wall pain, that it was not cardiac in origin and the post-mortem examination after his sudden death at home confirms it has nothing to do with the symptoms of a couple of weeks before ” (para. 30; emphasis added). [ 53 ] Both fault and the cause of Mr. McElroy’s condition and death were contested at trial. The above paragraph deals with both questions. Dr. Bessoudo’s opinion was that the clinical presentation on February 4, 2008, suggested Mr.
McElroy was experiencing chest wall pain at the time rather than cardiac chest pain and “there was no clinical indication for any further tests required at the time of his Emergency Room presentation or thereafter.” This was relevant to the standard of care issue. He was also of the opinion the post-mortem examination – the purpose of which was to clarify Mr. McElroy’s cause of death – confirmed there was no relationship between Mr. McElroy’s sudden cardiac death of February 16, 2008, and the symptoms he was experiencing when he visited the walk-in centre 12 days earlier. This was relevant to the causation issue.
There is no indication the trial judge conflated the two issues. [ 54 ] The trial judge correctly stated the law and reminded herself that she could not rely on the benefit of hindsight to determine whether Dr. Prendergast failed to meet the required standard of care and his actions were to be scrutinized on the information available to him at the time of his assessment. [ 55 ] I have not been persuaded the trial judge relied on information contained in the autopsy report to determine whether Dr. Prendergast had met the applicable standard of care. I would dismiss this ground of appeal.
(3) Not asking about prior instances of pain – Fourth ground of appeal [ 56 ] This ground is somewhat related to the first ground of appeal, as it concerns the alleged prior incident of chest pain while skating in January 2008. The Estate submits the trial judge erred in law or was patently unreasonable in concluding Dr. Prendergast met the standard of care because she failed to consider the fact that he did not ask Mr. McElroy about prior instances of pain when he and his expert witnesses agreed he should have . [ 57 ] This ground contains two different allegations:
(1) Dr. Prendergast did not ask Mr. McElroy about prior instances of pain ; and
(2) Dr. Prendergast and his expert witnesses agreed he should have . In support of his allegations that the question was not asked but should have been, the Estate points to the following evidence elicited during cross-examination of witnesses called by Dr. Prendergast: • Counsel for the Estate suggested to Dr. Prendergast that he “didn’t ask [Mr. McElroy] anything about whether he’d had any pain in the previous few months similar to this,” and Dr.
Prendergast replied: “No.” Asked whether he would “agree it would have been relevant,” he replied: “It would have been relevant knowing the information we have now.” He was alluding to the alleged January 2008 incident. • Dr. Stewart was asked whether he thought it was appropriate that Dr. Prendergast did not ask the question and he replied: “It’s a pretty easy question to ask. I would have asked.” • Dr. Bessoudo was asked whether “it would be important to ask questions about prior pain”, and he answered: “Yes.” [ 58 ] Although the trial judge’s decision does not specifically say whether Dr. Prendergast asked
about prior chest pain or whether he should have, she did conclude Mr. McElroy denied pain on exertion and Dr. Prendergast conducteda thorough history and examination. There was evidentiary support for these conclusions. [59] She also found the alleged prior incident of pain while skating in January 2008 was not relayedto Dr. Prendergast. The Estate submits this finding shows the trial judge ignored the evidence that Dr. Prendergast did not ask about aprior instance of pain but clearly should have asked. [60] Dr. Prendergast submits the Estate is misconstruing the evidence in suggesting Mr.
McElroywas never asked about prior instances of pain. He alleges Mr. McElroy was in fact asked about prior pain by Ms. Fraser and by himself. Iagree. [61] Ms. Fraser was the first person to examine Mr. McElroy when he arrived at the walk-in clinic.Her notes did not mention any prior incident of chest pain. She was therefore asked whether the question had been put to Mr. McElroy.Ms. Fraser acknowledged the question was not charted but testified that she takes a history and is always looking for signs of cardiacsymptoms. Although her notes had no indication of having asked Mr.
McElroy whether he had experienced chest pain prior to thisincident, she stated this was part of what she asked about; she would ask when the pain started and whether there were any precipitatingevents which led up to the present incident. She testified it was her practice to chart what the patient tells her of his symptoms and tochart any abnormal finding. She agreed she would have charted it if the patient had described the symptoms as “heavy,” “an elephant onhis chest” or “crushing.” [62] The space reserved for the nurse’s notes on the Emergency/Outpatient Form is rather confined.
The questions asked are not noted. Therefore, if a prior instance of pain is not charted, it does not mean the question was not asked; itcould mean there was no reporting of abnormal finding of prior pain for her to chart. She testified: “I only chart what’s abnormal.” [63] When assessing Mr. McElroy, Dr. Prendergast had the benefit of Ms. Fraser’s notes whichstated the pain had “started 3 days ago.” He testified he “asked him if the pain he was describing at that visit ever came on exertion” and“would have asked him if he gets this chest pain on exertion.” Mr.
McElroy didn’t report any prior instances of pain, but “indicated to[him] that he got the chest pain when he was working with his arms extended.” [64] The Estate argues that, since the January 8, 2008 incident was not recorded by Ms. Fraser or Dr.Prendergast, the history taken must have been inadequate. Obviously, there is another explanation; it could be it was not reported by Mr.McElroy because the incident never actually occurred. I have already touched on the trial judge’s comments concerning this evidenceand will say no more. [65] This case was one which fell to be determined on the question of whether Dr.
Prendergast’streatment of Mr. McElroy fell below the applicable standard of care. The Estate has not alleged the trial judge wrongly characterized theapplicable standard of care. In any event, I find no fault with the trial judge’s characterization of the standard of care expected of Dr.Prendergast. The law is clear. Every medical practitioner must bring to his or her task a reasonable degree of skill and knowledge andmust exercise a reasonable degree of care.
He or she is bound to exercise that degree of care and skill which could reasonably beexpected of a normal, prudent practitioner of the same experience and standing: Crits and Crits v. Sylvester et al., (ONCA), [1956] O.J. No. 526 (C.A.) (QL), per Schroeder J.A., at para. 13, aff’d (SCC), [1956] S.C.R. 991, [1956] S.C.J.No. 71 (QL). See, as well, Gay et al. v. Regional Health Authority 7 and Dr. Menon, 2014 NBCA 10, 421 N.B.R. (2d) 1, at para. 64. [66] Assessing the evidence in light of the applicable standard of care, the trial judge dismissed theaction.
There was ample evidence at trial to support the following findings, which led the trial judge to conclude that no fault should beattributed to Dr. Prendergast: 1. Mr. McElroy did not present with typical symptoms of cardiac chest pain when he attended at the walk-in clinic on February 4,2008; 2. Dr. Prendergast conducted a thorough examination; 3. there were several steps taken by Dr. Prendergast to evaluate the possibility of a cardiac issue;
4. Dr. Prendergast’s diagnosis of chest wall pain was reasonable; 5. Dr. Prendergast’s treatment was reasonable and appropriate and in keeping with current medical practices; 6. Dr. Prendergast used his clinical skills and judgment and acted as a reasonable physician would in the circumstances when presented with a patient exhibiting the symptoms similar to those of Mr. McElroy. [ 67 ] As a result of these findings, the conclusion reached by the trial judge was as follows: “I find that there was no evidence to demonstrate even an error of judgment, let alone a breach of the standard of care.
I find on a balance of probabilities that [Dr. Prendergast’s] conduct met the standard of care.” [ 68 ] This ground of appeal deals directly with the standard of care, questioning what Dr. Prendergast did on February 4, 2008, and what he should have done, an issue which involved the trial judge’s
interpretation of the evidence as a whole. The determination of whether the standard of care was met involves the application of a legal standard to a set of facts, which is a question of mixed fact and law, therefore subject to the standard of review of palpable and overriding error, unless a legal error can be extricated. I did not find any legal error. [ 69 ] It is not difficult to dispose of this ground of appeal. The trial judge found Dr. Prendergast’s conduct fell within the standard of care. She reached this conclusion by considering all the evidence, including Dr.
Stewart’s opinion which she accepted and Dr. Goodine’s opinion on point, which she rejected. The trial judge explained why she preferred the evidence of one over the other. The trier of fact decides the weight to be given to evidence and accepts or rejects expert opinions. She did not commit a palpable and overriding error in concluding Dr. Prendergast met the applicable standard of care. [ 70 ] Applying the applicable standard of review, I find no fault with the trial judge’s conclusion. V. Disposition [ 71 ] The Estate has not satisfied its burden of persuading me the trial judge made a reversible error.
Consequently, I would dismiss the appeal with costs of $2,500. Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par LA JUGE LAVIGNE I. Introduction et vue d’ensemble [1] Robert McElroy, un homme âgé de 29 ans, s’est présenté à une clinique sans rendez-vous, où il a dit ressentir notamment des douleurs thoraciques. Il a été évalué par une infirmière immatriculée, puis examiné par le médecin de
famille traitant, le D r John Prendergast, l’intimé dans la présente affaire. Ce dernier a établi un diagnostic de douleurs à la paroi thoracique; il a traité M. McElroy en conséquence et lui a donné son congé. Douze jours plus tard, M. McElroy est décédé subitement d’un arrêt cardiaque à son domicile . [2] L’appelante, la succession de Robert William McElroy, a poursuivi le D r Prendergast pour négligence médicale. Elle a fait valoir que le médecin avait manqué à la norme de diligence en ne prenant pas les moyens raisonnables, compte tenu des symptômes présentés, pour examiner l’état de santé de M.
McElroy et écarter, notamment en lui faisant subir un électrocardiogramme (ECG), la possibilité d’un problème cardiaque. [3] Une juge de la Cour du Banc de la Reine a conclu que le D r Prendergast avait respecté la norme de diligence applicable et a rejeté l’action. Elle a évalué provisoirement à 206 273 $ le montant des dommages-intérêts et a adjugé des dépens de 26 516,62 $.
La décision frappée d’appel est publiée à [2019] A.N.-B. n° 134 (QL). [4] La succession demande que cette décision soit infirmée, que l’action contre le D r Prendergast soit accueillie et que le montant des dommages-intérêts soit évalué à la hausse, ou, subsidiairement, que la décision soit annulée et la tenue d’un nouveau procès ordonnée. [5] La question à trancher en appel est principalement de savoir si, pour en arriver à sa décision, la juge du procès a appliqué les bons principes juridiques, ou a commis une quelconque erreur manifeste et dominante en concluant que le D r Prendergast, dans les soins prodigués à M.
McElroy, avait respecté la norme de diligence. [6] Pour les motifs qui vont suivre, on ne m’a pas convaincue que le rejet de l’action intentée par la succession résulte d’une erreur qui justifierait l’intervention en appel. Je suis donc d’avis de rejeter l’appel. II. Contexte [7] Le lundi 4 février 2008, à 10 h14, M. McElroy s’est présenté à une clinique sans rendez-vous au Centre de santé communautaire de Queens-Nord, à Minto.
Il a d’abord été évalué par M me Heather Fraser, une infirmière immatriculée, qui a consigné les renseignements suivants : il s’est plaint de douleurs intermittentes, qui duraient d’une à deux minutes, sous l’épaule gauche, à l’omoplate gauche, irradiant le long de son bras gauche et sur le devant de la poitrine; la douleur était aiguë et avait débuté trois jours plus tôt; il avait du mal à prendre une respiration lorsque la douleur était présente; il pouvait déplacer son bras gauche sans ressentir de douleur; absence de nausée et de vomissements, pas de prise de médicaments. [8] Le D r Prendergast a passé en revue les notes de M me Fraser et il a vu M.
McElroy à 10 h 37. Il a relevé ses antécédents et consigné ses facteurs de risque cardiaque. Il a pris en note que M. McElroy avait cessé de fumer trois mois plus tôt et avait des antécédents familiaux de coronaropathie. Il lui a demandé si la douleur résultait d’un effort, lorsqu’il marchait ou montait un escalier par exemple. M. McElroy a répondu que non et indiqué que les douleurs avaient débuté trois jours plus tôt lorsqu’il avait commencé à accomplir au travail une nouvelle tâche qui l’obligeait à étendre les bras. [9] Le D r Prendergast a soumis M.
McElroy à un examen physique, notamment un examen cardiovasculaire et pulmonaire. Il a relevé qu’il n’avait pas de douleur apparente, que ses signes vitaux étaient normaux, qu’il ne souffrait ni de diabète ni d’hypertension, qu’il n’avait pas de symptôme cardiaque, que son bruit respiratoire était normal, que le mouvement de son épaule était d’amplitude normale et qu’il n’avait pas de zone sensible. Le D r Prendergast a aussi demandé à M.
McElroy de lui montrer sa nouvelle posture au travail; il a pu constater que la douleur était liée à la posture, que l’extension des épaules la faisait se reproduire et qu’elle diminuait en fonction de la position des bras. [10] Le D r Prendergast a établi un diagnostic de douleurs à la paroi thoracique; il a recommandé à M. McElroy qu’une modification soit apportée à son poste de travail, lui a prescrit de l’ Arthrotec (un anti-inflammatoire), lui a dit de revenir se faire évaluer si ses symptômes persistaient et lui a donné son congé à 10 h 50.
[11] Le 16 février 2008, M. McElroy a été retrouvé mort à son domicile. Le rapport d’autopsie fait état d’une mort subite d’origine cardiaque et d’une grave hypertrophie ventriculaire gauche. L’autopsie a aussi confirmé le fait que M. McElroy était atteint d’une importante coronaropathie sous-jacente. [12] La succession a fait valoir au procès que, si le D r Prendergast avait pris des mesures raisonnables pour examiner l’état de santé de M. McElroy, la maladie cardiaque sous-jacente de ce dernier aurait pu être détectée et un traitement aurait pu être entrepris pour réduire le risque de mort cardiaque.
La succession soutient que le défaut du D r Prendergast de prendre de telles mesures a entraîné le décès de M. McElroy, un décès directement imputable à la négligence du médecin. D’après la succession, le D r Prendergast a manqué à la norme de diligence requise en omettant de poser les bonnes questions à M. McElroy; de prescrire des examens, comme un ECG ou un bilan sanguin cardiaque; d’orienter le demandeur vers l’établissement approprié; de consulter des spécialistes; d’établir dûment un diagnostic; d’écarter par un examen adéquat la possibilité d’un problème cardiaque.
La succession a soutenu que, devant un patient ayant les symptômes et les antécédents de M. McElroy, un médecin raisonnable en aurait fait davantage que le D r Prendergast. [13] Le D r Prendergast a soutenu, à l’inverse, qu’il n’y avait aucune raison de soumettre M.
McElroy à un ECG ou une analyse sanguine, alors qu’un examen approfondi n’avait révélé aucun indice d’étiologie cardiaque et avait révélé des indices manifestes d’étiologie musculosquelettique. [14] Deux experts en médecine familiale ont été appelés pour donner leur opinion sur ce qui était attendu du D r Prendergast lors de la consultation du 4 février 2008. La D re Rose Anne Goodine a appuyé l’allégation de négligence du D r Prendergast portée par la succession.
Le D r John Stewart a déclaré dans son témoignage, pour sa part, que le D r Prendergast avait respecté la norme de soins médicaux exigée dans les circonstances. [15] La D re Goodine a indiqué dans son rapport que, compte tenu des symptômes mentionnés par M. McElroy, de ses antécédents familiaux et de l’évaluation faite par l’infirmière, [TRADUCTION] « il était négligent de ne pas obtenir un cardiogramme et un bilan sanguin cardiaque.
Les résultats de ces examens auraient pu être normaux, mais ils auraient aussi pu donner un indice de la gravité de la cardiopathie ischémique sous-jacente et permettre que le patient soit traité. » La juge du procès a relevé que la D re Goodine croyait à tort que M. McElroy souffrait d’essoufflement, et qu’elle estimait qu’un ECG devait être effectué à chaque fois qu’un patient avait des douleurs thoraciques, le D r Stewart étant d’avis qu’un ECG n’était pas nécessaire dans chaque cas de douleurs thoraciques.
Le D r Kenneth Melvin et le D r Ricardo Bessoudo étaient du même avis. [16] Par contraste, le D r Stewart a déclaré ce qui suit dans son rapport : [TRADUCTION] Après lecture du document, je souscris à la conclusion et à l’avis du D r Prendergast. Rien de manifeste ne ressortait des antécédents ou de l’examen physique qui puisse justifier de faire de nouveaux tests ou de consulter un spécialiste. Le malheureux résultat subséquent n’était pas prévisible ni n’aurait pu être évité au vu de ce tableau clinique.
J’estime que les soins fournis par le D r Prendergast étaient raisonnables et appropriés et conformes aux normes courantes de la pratique médicale. [17] Les D rs Melvin et Bessoudo sont des experts en cardiologie. Ils ont offert leur opinion sur la cause de la maladie et du décès de M.
McElroy et sur d’autres questions, comme l’opportunité du recours à un ECG. [18] Le D r Melvin, cité comme témoin par la succession, a fait état des caractéristiques habituelles de la douleur thoracique cardiaque : elle est d’abord ressentie normalement au centre de la poitrine et s’accompagne d’une sensation de crispation, de serrement et de lourdeur; la douleur est sourde plutôt qu’aiguë; elle est provoquée par l’effort et soulagée par le repos; le mouvement ne la fait pas se reproduire; elle s’accompagne souvent d’essoufflement, de sudation, d’étourdissements ou d’évanouissement ainsi que de fatigue; elle peut accroître la fréquence cardiaque et la pression artérielle ou occasionner des bruits cardiaques anormaux. [19] Le D r Melvin a dit dans son témoignage que [TRADUCTION] « l’essoufflement accompagné de douleurs thoraciques est assurément plus inquiétant quant à une éventuelle étiologie cardiovasculaire » et que, [TRADUCTION] « dans les circonstances, il aurait fallu recourir à un électrocardiogramme et à une analyse en laboratoire »; toute anomalie décelée aurait
pu entraîner le transfert de M. McElroy vers un grand hôpital. D’après le témoignage du D r Melvin, un ECG s’imposait en raison des douleurs thoraciques irradiant dans le bras gauche et de l’essoufflement de M. McElroy. [20] Le D r Bessoudo, qui enseigne la cardiologie aux résidents en médecine familiale, a été appelé comme témoin par le D r Prendergast. Il a souligné que le D r Prendergast avait pris d’excellentes notes cliniques, qui décrivaient le type de douleur ressentie, la durée des symptômes et les symptômes associés.
Il a déclaré : [TRADUCTION] « Le tableau clinique, tel qu’il ressort des notes du D r Prendergast, cadrait avec des douleurs de type musculosquelettiques, non cardiaques, et malgré certains facteurs de risque cardiaque, il n’y avait aucune indication clinique d’un recours nécessaire à d’autres examens quand il s’est présenté en salle d’urgence ou par la suite. » Évaluant les symptômes ressentis par M. McElroy, le D r Bessoudo a relevé que la douleur thoracique cardiaque commençait dans la poitrine et irradiait dans le bras. Il était d’accord avec le D r Prendergast quant au diagnostic posé; le 4 février 2008, M.
McElroy souffrait de douleurs à la paroi thoracique et non de douleur thoracique cardiaque. Il a écrit : [TRADUCTION] « Le tableau clinique de M. McElroy correspondait clairement à une douleur de type musculosquelettique à la poitrine (et non à une douleur cardiaque) ne laissant pas supposer, même de loin, l’existence d’une grave coronaropathie ». [21] La juge du procès a reconnu que, selon certains éléments de preuve, une anomalie aurait peut- être été décelée si un ECG avait été effectué le 4 février 2008. Après évaluation de la preuve, la juge a toutefois conclu qu’on avait pu observer chez M.
McElroy non pas des douleurs thoraciques, mais plutôt des douleurs sous l’omoplate gauche irradiant le long du bras gauche et sur le devant de la poitrine. Elle a aussi conclu que la preuve montrait clairement que M.
McElroy avait du mal à respirer lorsque la douleur était présente , mais qu’il ne souffrait pas d’essoufflement ni n’avait d’autres symptômes de problèmes cardiaques, comme la nausée, les vomissements, la sudation, les étourdissements ou la douleur lors de l’effort. [22] Lorsque les témoignages étaient contradictoires, la juge du procès a préféré ceux des D rs Stewart et Bessoudo à ceux des D rs Goodine et Melvin. III.
Moyens d’appel [23] Dans son avis d’appel, la succession soutient que la juge du procès a : [TRADUCTION] 1. […] commis une erreur de droit en radiant du dossier des éléments de preuve précédemment admis par consentement, pendant le procès et après que l’appelante avait terminé de présenter sa preuve; 2. […] commis une erreur de droit en refusant au D r Kenneth Melvin de témoigner quant à savoir si M.
McElroy serait vivant aujourd’hui; 3. […] commis une erreur de droit en n’appliquant pas le bon critère pour la norme de diligence, en tenant compte d’un élément de preuve postérieur au fait pour évaluer le degré de diligence de l’intimé; 4. […] commis une erreur de droit ou s’est montrée manifestement déraisonnable en concluant qu’il n’y avait aucune preuve de manquement à la norme de diligence , alors qu’elle a fait abstraction de faits pertinents, notamment le fait que l’intimé et tous les témoins experts avaient convenu que l’intimé aurait dû s’enquérir de douleurs antérieures, mais ne l’avait pas fait; 5. […] conclu de manière manifestement déraisonnable que le D r Bessuodo [ sic ] était un témoin crédible et fiable, en acceptant son témoignage au sujet de l’autopsie après qu’il eut concédé qu’il n’avait jamais vu l’état qu’il diagnostiquait chez un patient qui ne souffrait pas en même temps de [TRADUCTION] « désarroi myofibrillaire » ni n’avait jamais entendu parler d’une telle situation; 6. […] préféré de manière manifestement déraisonnable le témoignage d’expert de M.
Conrad à celui de M me Gmeiner, en faisant abstraction de faits et d’éléments de preuve pertinents présentés à la Cour;
7. […] commis une erreur de droit en attribuant des dépens en fonction d’un montant plus élevé que les dommages-intérêts évalués provisoirement par la Cour. IV. Analyse [24] Dans son mémoire, la succession a retiré le septième moyen d’appel, lié aux dépens.
Comme j’ai conclu que la juge du procès n’avait pas conclu erronément que le D r Prendergast avait respecté la norme de diligence, il ne sera pas nécessaire de traiter du sixième moyen d’appel qui a trait à l’évaluation provisoire des dommages-intérêts. [25] Pour cette raison, il ne sera pas nécessaire non plus d’examiner le deuxième moyen d’appel, qui a trait au refus de la juge du procès de laisser le D r Melvin témoigner au sujet d’éventuels traitements. Le D r Melvin croyait que, si M.
McElroy s’était fait prescrire un ECG le jour de sa visite à la clinique sans rendez-vous, sa coronaropathie aurait vraisemblablement été diagnostiquée et, selon la prépondérance des probabilités, il aurait toujours été vivant au moment du procès. Le D r Bessoudo n’était pas du même avis. La succession a tenté de faire témoigner le D r Melvin sur les traitements que M. McElroy aurait pu recevoir et sur les effets de ces traitements si sa maladie sous-jacente avait été diagnostiquée. Le D r Prendergast s’y est opposé au motif que le rapport du D r Melvin ne faisait état d’aucun traitement quelconque.
La juge du procès a admis l’argument et a reconnu le D r Melvin compétent pour témoigner uniquement sur les questions abordées dans son rapport. En l’espèce, la question des traitements n’aurait été pertinente que si j’avais estimé que la juge du procès avait conclu erronément que le D r Prendergast avait respecté la norme de diligence applicable.
Par conséquent, il ne sera pas nécessaire d’examiner ce moyen pour trancher l’appel. [26] Avant d’aborder les quatre moyens d’appel qui restent, je me pencherai sur la norme de contrôle. [27] Les cours d’appel vérifient si des erreurs ont été commises; elles n’ont pas pour rôle de juger les affaires de nouveau. Il incombe à la succession de convaincre la Cour que la juge du procès a commis une erreur justifiant l’infirmation de sa décision. Une telle erreur pourrait résulter d’une mauvaise qualification de la norme de diligence applicable.
L’évaluation par un juge de première instance de la fiabilité et de la crédibilité des témoins clés ou ses conclusions quant aux faits, à la faute et aux dommages-intérêts doivent être contrôlées selon une norme empreinte d’une plus grande retenue.
À moins d’une importante erreur de droit ou de principe dans l’analyse du juge de première instance ou d’une erreur manifeste et dominante dans son appréciation de la preuve, notre Cour ne peut remplacer les opinions du juge de première instance par les siennes sur aucune de ces questions, à moins que la décision de ce dernier sur ce point ne soit manifestement erronée ou déraisonnable, au sens où aucun élément du dossier n’aurait pu la justifier ( Clark c. Gauvin , 2006 NBCA 85 , 303 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 326, par. 7 , le juge en chef Drapeau (tel était alors son titre)). Voir, également, Housen c.
Nikolaisen , 2002 CSC 33 , [2002] 2 R.C.S. 235 ; Lemay c. Peters , 2014 NBCA 59 , 425 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 336 , par. 31 , le juge d’appel Richard (tel était alors son titre), autorisation de pourvoi refusée, 36163 (le 14 Mai 2015), [2014] C.S.C.R. n° 495 (QL); Doiron c. Haché , 2005 NBCA 75 , 290 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 79 , le juge d’appel Richard, par. 76. A.
La juge du procès a-t-elle commis une erreur de droit en radiant des parties du rapport d’autopsie? [28] Dans son premier moyen d’appel, la succession soutient que la juge du procès a commis une erreur de droit en radiant du rapport d’autopsie des éléments de preuve précédemment admis par consentement, après qu’elle avait terminé de présenter sa preuve . Aux term es de la règle 62.21(9)
b) des Règles de procédure , la Cour d’appel ne doit pas accorder un nouveau procès en raison d’une mauvaise décision quant à l’admissibilité ou l’inadmissibilité d’une preuve à moins qu’il n’en ait résulté un préjudice important ou une erreur judiciaire. La question de savoir s’il y a eu préjudice important ou erreur judiciaire ne se pose que s’il est d’abord conclu qu’une mauvaise décision a été rendue quant à l’admissibilité ou l’inadmissibilité d’une preuve. Le D r Prendergast soutient que la juge du procès n’a radié aucune
partie du rapport d’autopsie; elle a plutôt décidé du poids à accorder à un élément de preuve contesté. Je suis du même avis. Il ne ressort pas du dossier que la juge du procès a radié une
partie quelconque du rapport d’autopsie. [29] Les parties ont présenté en preuve un cahier conjoint des pièces où figuraient 28 documents différents, notamment des dossiers d’hôpital, des dossiers de médecin, des renseignements fiscaux et 13 rapports d’experts. Parmi les rapports d’experts, il y avait un rapport d’autopsie établi par le D r Lawrence Lacey.
[30]
Le passage suivant est tiré de la
partie du rapport d’autopsie consacrée aux antécédents cliniques : [TRADUCTION] Cet homme de 29 ans a éprouvé des douleurs thoraciques en janvier 2008 alors qu’il patinait avec ses enfants; il s’est rendu à l’urgence voisine, où l’on a estimé qu’il avait des douleurs musculaires. Le 16 février 2008, il a été retrouvé mort sur le sol de la chambre à coucher. D’après les rapports, le patient fumait, il buvait une quantité indéterminée d’alcool et il travaillait dans une usine de fibre de verre connue dans la ville pour les mauvaises odeurs qu’elle répandait dans l’atmosphère.
Ces renseignements proviennent de la fiche du coroner ainsi que du gendarme Ian J. Fahie, de la GRC, qui a pris part à l’enquête après décès. [C’est moi qui souligne.] [31] Le pathologiste a ensuite décrit son examen et formulé ses observations et son diagnostic final. Fait à noter, dans le rapport d’autopsie, il n’y a aucune mention de l’incident du 4 février 2008 qui a conduit M.
McElroy à se présenter à la clinique sans rendez-vous, où l’on a jugé qu’il souffrait de douleur à la paroi thoracique. [32] La succession soutient que la juge du procès a radié du dossier la phrase du rapport d’autopsie faisant état des douleurs thoraciques ressenties par M. McElroy lorsqu’il patinait avec ses enfants en janvier 2008. Elle fait valoir la grande importance pour son recours de cette information, qui attestait du fait que M.
McElroy avait déjà subi des douleurs thoraciques lors de l’effort quelques semaines avant l’incident du 4 février 2008. [33] La connaissance d’un incident antérieur de douleurs thoraciques ressenties lors de l’effort aurait pu être déterminante. Le D r Stewart a convenu que son opinion aurait été différente s’il avait eu connaissance d’un incident antérieur de douleurs thoraciques ressenties par M. McElroy lors de l’effort, en patinant. Le D r Prendergast a déclaré lui aussi dans son témoignage que, s’il avait su que M.
McElroy avait déjà éprouvé de la douleur lors de l’effort, [TRADUCTION] « [c]ela aurait tout changé », puisqu’alors, [TRADUCTION] « [l]es causes cardiaques se seraient retrouvées en haut de la liste; les douleurs thoraciques lors de l’effort sont angineuses jusqu’à preuve du contraire »; ce renseignement connu, par conséquent, M. McElroy [TRADUCTION] « aurait probablement subi des analyses de laboratoire et un cardiogramme et été envoyé par ambulance » à l’hôpital. [34] À ce stade, davantage de renseignements contextuels sont requis en vue de savoir si l’élément de preuve a été ou non radié.
Juste avant que le D r Bessoudo n’ait été appelé à témoigner, l’avocate du D r Prendergast s’est dite préoccupée de l’utilisation faite par la succession du prétendu incident, qui ne pouvait être corroboré, de douleurs thoraciques subies en janvier 2008. L’avocate a dit estimer qu’un tel incident ne s’était jamais produit : Jennifer Gill, l’épouse de M.
McElroy, avait déclaré à l’interrogatoire préalable que ce dernier ne s’était pas plaint à elle et qu’elle n’avait aucun souvenir d’une visite faite à l’urgence, et elle n’avait pas parlé d’un tel événement lors de son témoignage au procès; aucune visite à la clinique externe ou chez le médecin de famille en janvier 2008 n’était attestée par les documents médicaux joints à l’affidavit des documents fait sous serment; enfin, l’incident antérieur de douleurs thoraciques n’avait pas été plaidé à
titre de fait substantiel, ni été mentionné dans le mémoire préparatoire de la succession. L’avocate a soutenu que la phrase contestée, qui [TRADUCTION] « n’avait pas été étayée », était [TRADUCTION] « présentée comme un fait aux témoins », et elle a déclaré : [TRADUCTION] « [N]ous estimons que cette phrase n’a aucune valeur probante, et nous aimerions qu’elle soit radiée. »
La succession a soutenu que la phrase avait une valeur probante et elle a rappelé à la juge du procès que l’incident avait d’abord été évoqué par la défense, lorsqu’elle avait demandé au D r Prendergast – qui avait répondu par la négative – s’il avait été informé de l’incident de janvier. [35] Les parties conviennent que la juge du procès n’a jamais dit qu’elle radiait les mots en cause du dossier ni qu’elle accédait à la demande de l’avocate.
Voici ce qu’elle a dit : [TRADUCTION] Aucune preuve – aucune preuve indépendante comme un rapport d’hôpital ou des questions posées à M me Gill par quiconque – ne montre qu’en janvier de la même année, il s’était plaint à celle-ci ou à qui que ce soit de douleurs thoraciques. Mais je crois que les autres questions posées au D r Stewart et au D r Prendergast sont appropriées.
Je vais garder à l’esprit ces questions et les réponses données. [36] Une fois cette décision rendue, l’avocat de la succession a dit à la juge qu’il [TRADUCTION] « voudrai[t] [se] réserver un droit de rappel – le droit de présenter une éventuelle contre-preuve ». La juge a répondu : [TRADUCTION]
« Ce droit est toujours accessible si on fait le bon argument. » L’avocat de la succession soutient maintenant que le fait que la juge du procès n’ait pas mis en question la nécessité d’une contre-preuve montre qu’elle avait bien radié l’élément de preuve, une contre-preuve étant inutile sinon. Je rejette cet argument. Premièrement, la juge du procès n’avait pas décidé, à ce stade, s’il allait être permis à la succession de présenter une contre-preuve.
Deuxièmement, la contre-preuve pouvait toujours s’avérer nécessaire si la succession voulait conférer une plus grande valeur probante aux mots contestés par la production d’un témoin ou d’un document susceptible de corroborer l’incident de janvier 2008, la juge ayant convenu que jusqu’alors aucune preuve indépendante ne montrait que l’incident était bel et bien survenu. Aucune preuve additionnelle n’a été présentée à ce sujet. [37] Je relève aussi que, dans son rapport du 8 novembre 2011, le D r Bessoudo a indiqué que la
partie du rapport d’autopsie consacrée aux antécédents cliniques faisait état de douleurs thoraciques ressenties par M. McElroy lorsqu’il avait patiné avec ses enfants en janvier 2008, et a fait remarquer que jamais ni M me Fraser ni le D r Prendergast n’avaient fait mention d’un tel incident.
La mention de l’incident de janvier 2008 dans le rapport du D r Bessoudo n’a pas été radiée du dossier et personne n’a prétendu qu’elle devrait l’être. [38] Devant la Cour, l’avocat de la succession a dit partir du principe que le rapport d’autopsie, y compris les mots contestés, avait été admis pour prouver la véracité de son contenu, et a fait valoir que la réponse du D r Pendergast à une demande de reconnaissance de documents étayait sa position, ce dernier ayant admis le document, sans contester la véracité du moindre de ses éléments. Je n’accepte pas cet argument. Comme le prévoit la règle 31.10(1)
a) des Règles de procédure , « [t]oute
partie peut demander à une autre
partie d’admettre l’ authenticité de l’original ou d’une copie d’un document » (c’est moi qui souligne). Il ressort du dossier que, dans la demande de reconnaissance de documents datée du 8 mars 2018, il était [TRADUCTION] « demandé [au D r Prendergast] d’admettre l’authenticité » du rapport d’autopsie, ce qu’il a fait. [39] Chacune des parties a aussi signifié à l’autre une demande d’aveux.
Dans un document daté du 1 er mars 2018, soit avant la reconnaissance de l’authenticité du rapport d’autopsie (faite uniquement dans un document daté du 22 mars 2018), la succession a demandé au D r Prendergast d’admettre 14 faits différents. Or, malgré l’importance prétendue de l’incident de douleurs thoraciques de janvier 2008 pour le recours de la succession, le D r Prendergast ne s’est pas fait demander d’admettre cet incident antérieur.
De plus, bien qu’elle affirme maintenant avoir été prise par surprise lorsque le D r Prendergast a contesté la véracité de la phrase en cause du rapport d’autopsie, la succession n’a alors demandé aucun ajournement. [40] La succession souligne à juste
titre que, dans les sections intitulées [TRADUCTION] « Faits » et [TRADUCTION] « Analyse » des motifs de sa décision, la juge du procès n’a fait aucune mention de l’incident de janvier 2008. Selon la succession, cela prouvait une fois encore que la juge du procès avait écarté cette information du dossier et de son esprit. Il est inexact de dire que la juge n’avait pas cet élément en tête, toutefois, puisqu’elle y a fait allusion, dans sa [TRADUCTION] « Conclusion », pour indiquer clairement qu’un tel incident n’avait jamais été relaté au D r Prendergast.
La juge a fait observer : [TRADUCTION] « On s’est demandé après l’autopsie si M. McElroy avait déjà ressenti des douleurs thoraciques en patinant. Le D r Prendergast n’a jamais été informé, le 4 février 2008, de la survenance d’un tel incident » (par. 30). [41] Le simple fait qu’un juge de première instance n’analyse pas certains éléments de preuve en profondeur ne constitue pas un motif suffisant pour justifier l’intervention en appel ( Housen , par. 72 ).
Les juges de première instance ne sont pas tenus de mentionner, d’analyser ou d’aborder de toute autre manière chaque élément de preuve. [42] Bien que le rapport d’autopsie, comme de nombreux autres documents, ait été admis en preuve par consentement, il existe une différence entre ce qui est admis en preuve et ce que le juge de première instance tient pour avéré après examen de l’ensemble de la preuve.
Il revient essentiellement au juge des faits de décider du poids à accorder aux divers éléments de preuve (voir Housen , par. 58 ). [43] Tout en reconnaissant que la juge du procès n’a pas explicitement déclaré qu’elle radiait les mots contestés du dossier, la succession affirme qu’il ressort de la transcription que la juge a bien agi ainsi et elle demande à la Cour d’interpréter la transcription en ce sens.
J’ai passé en revue dans le dossier tous les échanges sur cette question entre la Cour et les deux avocats et j’en conclus que n’est pas étayé l’argument de la succession selon lequel la juge du procès a radié l’information du dossier. Ce moyen d’appel est sans fondement. B. La juge du procès a-t-elle commis une erreur de droit ou s’est-elle montrée manifestement déraisonnable en concluant que le D r Prendergast avait respecté la norme de diligence applicable?
[44] Sous cette rubrique, je traiterai des moyens d’appel restants, qui se rapportent tous à la question de la norme de diligence .
(1) Crédibilité et fiabilité du témoignage du D r Bessoudo – cinquième moyen d’appel [45] La succession n’a pas fait valoir ce moyen d’appel vigoureusement à l’audience devant la Cour. Dans son mémoire, toutefois, elle a soutenu que la décision de la juge du procès d’accepter le témoignage du D r Bessoudo comme étant crédible et digne de foi était manifestement déraisonnable du fait que la juge n’a pas tenu compte d’éléments de preuve pertinents, notamment le fait que le D r Bessoudo n’avait jamais vu l’état qu’il diagnostiquait pour M.
McElroy chez un patient qui ne souffrait pas en même temps de [TRADUCTION] « désarroi myofibrillaire » ni n’avait jamais entendu parler d’une telle situation. Bien que ce moyen d’appel mette en cause l’opinion du D r Bessoudo sur la cause de l’état et du décès de M. McElroy, je vais l’aborder brièvement parce qu’il semble mettre en question la crédibilité et la fiabilité de son témoignage de manière générale et qu’une
partie de ce témoignage était pertinente quant à la question de la norme de diligence. [46] Comme il a déjà été mentionné, le rapport d’autopsie de M. McElroy faisait état d’une mort subite d’origine cardiaque et d’une grave hypertrophie ventriculaire gauche (HVG). Les experts en cardiologie ont divergé d’opinion quant à la cause de l’état et du décès – notamment de l’HVG – de M. McElroy. Le D r Melvin s’est dit d’avis que M. McElroy souffrait d’hypertension non diagnostiquée et non traitée qui avait entraîné son HVG – l’hypertension constituant la cause la plus fréquente de l’HVG.
Le D r Bessoudo n’était pas du même avis : seulement quatre mesures de pression artérielle, datées de 1999 à 2008, étaient consignées dans le dossier médical de M. McElroy et toutes ces mesures étaient normales. Dans sa décision, la juge du procès a souligné qu’aucune preuve n’indiquait que M. McElroy souffrait d’hypertension artérielle. Le D r Bessoudo estimait l’HVG de M.
McElroy imputable à une anomalie cardiaque congénitale connue sous le nom de cardiomyopathie hypertrophique (CHM). [47] La succession a contesté l’opinion du D r Bessoudo sur la cause de l’HVG au motif que le rapport d’autopsie ne faisait aucune mention de [TRADUCTION] « désarroi myofibrillaire ».
Dans leurs témoignages, les deux experts ont dit s’attendre à la présence de [TRADUCTION] « désarroi myofibrillaire » si une CHM était la cause de l’HVG; toutefois, le D r Melvin a déclaré qu’il serait présent chez [TRADUCTION] « tous les patients atteints de CHM », tandis que le D r Bessoudo a dit qu’il ne le serait [TRADUCTION] « pas dans tous les cas ».
Le D r Bessoudo a ajouté que la mention faite de [TRADUCTION] « fines fibres ondulées » dans le rapport d’autopsie pouvait se rapporter à un désarroi myofibrillaire. [48] Le D r Bessoudo a expliqué que l’HVG avait quatre causes possibles et, s’appuyant sur les dossiers médicaux et le rapport d’autopsie de M. McElroy, il a éliminé chacune de ces causes jusqu’à ce qu’il ne reste plus que la CHM. Bien que la CHM ait été la moins fréquente des causes mentionnées, le D r Bessoudo a dit estimer que c’était la seule compatible avec le tableau clinique de M. McElroy, en particulier l’épaisseur excessive de son cœur.
La juge du procès a privilégié l’opinion du D r Bessoudo sur ce point. [49] Il était loisible à la juge du procès de préférer le témoignage d’un expert à celui d’un autre et, en cas d’incompatibilité, d’accorder davantage de poids à certaines parties du témoignage du D r Bessoudo, témoignage qu’elle a estimé plus convaincant, (voir Stephen Moffett Ltd. c.
Sa Majesté la Reine du chef de la Province du Nouveau-Brunswick, représentée par le ministre des Transports , 2005 NBCA 31 , 282 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 337 , par. 3 ; Housen , par. 58 et 72 ). [50] Rien en droit ne fonde à modifier la décision de la juge du procès d’accepter le témoignage du D r Bessoudo comme étant crédible et digne de foi; il ne s’agit pas là d’une erreur manifeste. Ce moyen d’appel est sans fondement et je suis d’avis de le rejeter.
(2) Prise en compte du rapport d’autopsie – troisième moyen d’appel [51] La succession soutient que la juge du procès a commis une erreur de droit en n’appliquant pas le bon critère à la norme de diligence, puisqu’elle a tenu compte de renseignements figurant dans le rapport d’autopsie pour évaluer le degré de diligence du D r Prendergast au moment du traitement.
[52] Au soutien de son argument, la succession relève le commentaire suivant formulé par la juge du procès au paragraphe 30 de sa décision : [TRADUCTION] « Le D r Bessoudo a aussi confirmé la présence de douleurs à la paroi thoracique, qui n’étaient pas d’origine cardiaque, et l’autopsie médicolégale pratiquée après sa mort subite au domicile confirme que le décès n’avait rien à voir avec les symptômes présents deux semaines plus tôt » (par. 30; c’est moi qui souligne). [53] Tant la faute que la cause de l’état et du décès de M. McElroy étaient des questions contestées au procès.
Le paragraphe qui précède vise ces deux questions. Le D r Bessoudo était d’avis, sur la foi du tableau clinique du 4 février 2008, que M. McElroy éprouvait des douleurs à la paroi thoracique plutôt que des douleurs thoraciques cardiaques à cette date et qu’il [TRADUCTION] « n’y avait aucune indication clinique d’un recours nécessaire à d’autres examens au moment où il s’est présenté en salle d’urgence ou par la suite ». Cela était pertinent pour ce qui est de la question de la norme de diligence. Le D r Bessoudo était aussi d’avis que l’autopsie médicolégale – visant à préciser la cause du décès de M.
McElroy – confirmait l’absence de lien entre sa mort subite d’origine cardiaque, le 16 février 2008, et les symptômes qu’il ressentait lors de la visite à la clinique sans rendez-vous, 12 jours plus tôt. Cela était pertinent pour ce qui est de la question de la causalité.
Rien n’indique que la juge du procès ait confondu les deux questions. [54] La juge du procès a énoncé le droit correctement et elle a rappelé qu’elle ne pouvait déterminer avec le recul si le D r Prendergast avait omis de respecter la norme de diligence requise et qu’elle devait examiner ses actions en fonction des renseignements dont il disposait lorsqu’il a procédé à son évaluation. [55] On ne m’a pas convaincue que la juge du procès s’est fondée sur des renseignements figurant dans le rapport d’autopsie pour établir si le D r Prendergast avait respecté la norme de diligence applicable.
Je suis d’avis de rejeter ce moyen d’appel.
(3) Défaut de s’enquérir de douleurs antérieures – quatrième moyen d’appel [56] Ce moyen d’appel est lié au premier dans une certaine mesure, puisqu’il met en cause l’incident antérieur de douleurs thoraciques que M. McElroy aurait subies, en patinant, en janvier 2008.
La succession soutient que la juge du procès a commis une erreur de droit ou s’est montrée manifestement déraisonnable en concluant que le D r Prendergast avait respecté la norme de diligence, alors qu’elle avait fait abstraction du fait que ce dernier ne s’était pas enquis de douleurs antérieures, ce que lui- même et ses témoins experts ont convenu qu’il aurait dû faire. [57] Ce moyen d’appel recouvre deux allégations distinctes : (1) le D r Prendergast n’a pas demandé à M. McElroy s’il avait déjà éprouvé des douleurs , et (2) le D r Prendergast et ses témoins experts ont convenu qu’ il aurait dû le faire .
Au soutien de ses allégations selon lesquelles la question n’a pas été posée, mais aurait dû l’être, la succession renvoie aux éléments suivants obtenus lors du contre-interrogatoire des témoins appelés par le D r Prendergast : • L’avocat de la succession a laissé entendre au D r Prendergast qu’il avait [TRADUCTION] « omis de demander à [M. McElroy] s’il avait subi des douleurs semblables les mois précédents », et le D r Prendergast a répondu : [TRADUCTION] « Non. »
Le D r Prendergast s’est fait demander s’il [TRADUCTION] « conven[ait] que cela aurait été pertinent », et il a répondu : [TRADUCTION] « Cela aurait été pertinent, compte tenu de ce que nous savons maintenant. » Il faisait allusion à l’incident prétendument survenu en janvier 2008. • On a demandé au D r Stewart s’il jugeait approprié que le D r Prendergast n’ait pas posé la question, et il a répondu : [TRADUCTION] « C’est assez simple à poser comme question.
Je l’aurais posée. » • On a demandé au D r Bessoudo s’il [TRADUCTION] « était important de poser des questions sur des douleurs antérieures », et il a répondu : [TRADUCTION] « Oui. » [58] Bien que la juge du procès n’ait pas dit expressément dans sa décision si le D r Prendergast s’était enquis de douleurs thoraciques antérieures, ni s’il eût dû le faire, elle a conclu que M. McElroy avait nié ressentir de la douleur lors de l’effort, et que le D r Prendergast avait procédé à un examen approfondi, notamment des antécédents. Ces conclusions étaient étayées par la preuve.
[59] La juge du procès a aussi conclu que le Dr Prendergast n’avait pas été informé du prétenduincident de douleurs ressenties par M. McElroy en patinant en janvier 2008. Selon la succession, cette conclusion indique que la juge a fait abstraction de la preuve montrant que le Dr Prendergast ne s’était pas enquis de tout incident antérieur de douleurs, mais auraitmanifestement dû le faire. [60] Le Dr Prendergast affirme que la succession interprète mal la preuve en laissant entendre qu’onn’a jamais demandé à M. McElroy s’il avait déjà ressenti de la douleur. Il soutient que cela a bel et bien été demandé à M.
McElroy, tant par Mme Fraser que par lui-même. Je suis du même avis. [61] Mme Fraser est la première personne qui a examiné M. McElroy lorsqu’il s’est présenté à laclinique sans rendez-vous. Ses notes ne faisant état d’aucun incident antérieur de douleurs thoraciques, on lui a demandé si M. McElroy avait été interrogé à ce sujet. Mme Fraser a reconnu que la question n’était pas consignée au dossier médical, mais elle a affirmé dans sontémoignage qu’elle relevait les antécédents et restait toujours à l’affût de symptômes cardiaques. Même si ses notes n’indiquaient pas qu’elle ait demandé à M.
McElroy s’il avait ressenti des douleurs