2016 NBCA 69, 2016 NBCA 69
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D'APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK BERNARD GIONET APPELLANT 51-16-CA BERNARD GIONET APPELANT - and - - et - HER MAJESTY THE QUEEN RESPONDENT SA MAJESTÉ LA REINE INTIMÉE Gionet v. R., 2016 NBCA 69 Gionet c.
R., 2016 NBCA 69 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Larlee The Honourable Justice Richard The Honourable Justice Quigg CORAM : l’honorable juge Larlee l’honorable juge Richard l’honorable juge Quigg Appeal from a decision of the Provincial Court: April 13, 2016 (conviction) Appel d’une décision de la Cour provinciale : le 13 avril 2016 (déclaration de culpabilité) History of case: Decision under appeal: Unreported Preliminary or incidental proceedings: N/A Historique de la cause : Décision frappée d’appel : inédite Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : s.o.
Appeal heard: November 22, 2016 Judgment rendered: December 1, 2016 Appel entendu : le 22 novembre 2016 Jugement rendu : le 1 er décembre 2016 Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: Bernard Gionet appeared in person For the respondent: Marc A. Bourgeois Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appelant : Bernard Gionet a comparu en personne Pour l’intimée : Marc A. Bourgeois THE COURT The application for leave to appeal the conviction is dismissed. LA COUR Rejette la demande d’autorisation d’appel de la condamnation.
Le jugement suivant a été rendu par LA COUR [1] Bernard Gionet souhaite interjeter appel des déclarations de culpabilité relativement à quatre chefs d’accusation, soit d’avoir commis les infractions énoncées aux alinéas 266(a), 267(a), 733.1(1)(
a) et 264.1(1)(
a) du Code criminel . Plus particulièrement, il demande le retrait de ses plaidoyers de culpabilité. Pareille requête soulève une question mixte de droit et de fait, ce qui lui oblige d’obtenir l’autorisation d’interjeter appel : Guignard c. R. , 2003 NBCA 46 , 260 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 396 ; Brun c. R. , 2006 NBCA 17 , 296 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 147 ; Winmill c. R. , 2006
NBCA 77 , 300 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 125 ; Meade c. R. , 2007 NBCA 56 , [2007] A.N.-B. n o 237 (QL) ; Chiasson c. R. , 2008 NBCA 36 , [2008] A.N.-B. n o 171 (QL) ; Edgett c. R. , 2008 NBCA 65 , 336 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 321 , Brooks c. R. , 2008 NBCA 49 , 331 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 268 , Tower c. R. , 2010 NBCA 27 , 358 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 190 ; Monteith c. R. , 2010 NBCA 77 , [2010] A.N.-B. n o 346 (QL) ; et Miller c.
R. , 2011 NBCA 52 , 374 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 302 . [2] Pour avoir gain de cause dans un appel demandant le retrait d’un plaidoyer de culpabilité, il incombe à l’appelant d’établir l'existence d'au moins un des facteurs suivants : 1) il ne connaissait pas la nature des allégations soulevées contre lui dans l'accusation connexe; 2) il ne connaissait pas les effets et les conséquences possibles de son plaidoyer; 3) le plaidoyer en question n'avait pas été fait volontairement; 4) le plaidoyer était équivoque. M. Gionet ne nous a pas convaincus qu’il serait en mesure de démontrer l'existence d'un de ces facteurs.
Par conséquent, nous rejetons sa demande d'autorisation d'appel. English version of the judgment delivered by THE COURT [1] Bernard Gionet wishes to appeal his conviction on four counts alleging that he committed the offences set out in ss. 266(a), 267(a), 733.1(1)(
a) and 264.1(1)(
a) of the Criminal Code of Canada . Specifically, he seeks to withdraw his guilty pleas. Since this raises a question of mixed law and fact, he requires leave to appeal: Guignard v. R. , 2003 NBCA 46 , 260 N.B.R. (2d) 396 ; Brun v. R. , 2006 NBCA 17 , 296 N.B.R. (2d) 147 ; Winmill v. R. , 2006 NBCA 77 , 300 N.B.R. (2d) 125 ; Meade v. R. , 2007 NBCA 56 , [2007] N.B.J. No. 237 (QL) ; Chiasson v. R. , 2008 NBCA 36 , [2008] N.B.J. No. 171 (QL) ; Edgett v. R. , 2008 NBCA 65 , 336 N.B.R. (2d) 321 ; Brooks v. R. , 2008 NBCA 49 , 331 N.B.R. (2d) 268 ; Tower v. R. , 2010 NBCA 27 , 358 N.B.R. (2d) 190 ; Monteith v.
R. , 2010 NBCA 77 , [2010] N.B.J. No. 346 (QL) ; and Miller v. R. , 2011 NBCA 52 , 374 N.B.R. (2d) 302 . [2] In order to be successful in an appeal seeking to withdraw a guilty plea, an appellant has to meet at least one of the following criteria: (1) he was unaware of the allegations made against him in the related charge; (2) he was unaware of the effect and potential consequences of his plea; (3) the plea in question was not made voluntarily; or, (4) the plea was equivocal in nature. Mr. Gionet has not put forth any credible argument that convinces us he could meet at
least one of these criteria. As a result, his application for leave to appeal is dismissed.