2020 NBCA 65, 2020 NBCA 65
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 117-19-CA SUSAN NESBITT APPELLANT SUSAN NESBITT APPELANTE - and - - et - WORKPLACE HEALTH, SAFETY AND COMPENSATION COMMISSION RESPONDENT COMMISSION DE LA SANTÉ, DE LA SÉCURITÉ ET DE L’INDEMNISATION DES ACCIDENTS AU TRAVAIL INTIMÉE Nesbitt v. Workplace Health, Safety and Compensation Commission, 2020 NBCA 65 Nesbitt c.
Commission de la santé, de la sécurité et de l’indemnisation des accidents au travail, 2020 NBCA 65 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice Green The Honourable Justice Baird CORAM : l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge Green l’honorable juge Baird Appeal from a decision of the Workers’ Compensation Appeals Tribunal: September 3, 2019 Appel d’une décision du Tribunal d’appel des accidents au travail : le 3 septembre 2019 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: Unreported Décision frappée d’appel : inédite Preliminary or incidental proceedings: n/a Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : s.o.
Appeal heard: May 27, 2020 Appel entendu : le 27 mai 2020
Judgment rendered: September 24, 2020 Jugement rendu : le 24 septembre 2020 Reasons for judgment by: The Honourable Justice Green Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge Green Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice Baird Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge Baird Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: George A. McAllister, Q.C. For the respondent: Matthew R. Letson Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appelante : George A. McAllister, c.r. Pour l’intimée : Matthew R. Letson THE COURT The appeal is dismissed without costs. LA COUR L’appel est rejeté sans dépens.
The judgment of the Court was delivered by GREEN, J.A. I. Introduction [ 1 ] While enrolled in a two-year accounting program at the New Brunswick Community College in 2006, Susan Nesbitt sustained injuries as a result of slipping and falling on ice. Over the course of the next several years, she had a series of interactions with the Workplace Health, Safety and Compensation Commission (the Commission) and the Workers’ Compensation Appeals Tribunal (the Appeals Tribunal). Between 2010 and 2018, she received loss of earnings benefits as a result of her injury.
Following a decision by the Commission in 2018 to close her claim and discontinue the payment of benefits, Ms. Nesbitt unsuccessfully took her case before the Appeals Tribunal. She now seeks the reinstatement of those benefits by this Court. II. Background [ 2 ] On January 30, 2006, Ms. Nesbitt slipped and fell on an icy unsalted sidewalk in front of a New Brunswick Community College building where she was studying. She struck her head and sustained various injuries, primarily on the left side of her body. In a letter dated March 3, 2006, the Commission advised Ms. Nesbitt as follows:
Please be advised that your claim for compensation benefits as a result of your soft tissue injuries to head neck and back on January 30, 2006 has been accepted. Approved medical costs related to this injury will be paid. Since evidence on file indicates you have not lost time from work, you are not entitled to receive loss of earnings benefits. [ 3 ] For the sake of clarity, I note that s. 1 of the Workers Compensation Act , R.S.N.B. 1973, c. W-13 , defines the term “worker” to include a “learner”. That same
section also defines “learner”. While that definition would not include an individual in the circumstances of Ms.
Nesbitt, the answer as to why a Community College student was covered by the workers’ compensation scheme is found in the Commission’s Policy 21-010, which in its current form states that “ WorkSafeNB has an agreement with the New Brunswick Community College (NBCC) and Collège communautaire du Nouveau-Brunswick (CCNB) to further define learners of the colleges” and goes on to stipulate that, “[i]n accordance with this agreement, WorkSafeNB also considers an individual to be a learner while […] [a]ttending regular classroom training and curriculum-related activities at an NBCC or CCNB facility.” [ 4 ] Ms.
Nesbitt filed a claim for loss of earning benefits in 2010 after being placed off work. By that time she was out of school and employed by the Canada Revenue Agency. The Commission denied her claim in a letter dated September 7, 2010: Your claim has been reviewed by myself as well as a WorkSafeNB Medical Advisor, and adjudicated in accordance with the Workers’ Compensation Act of New Brunswick [R.S.N.B. 1973, c. W-13 ]. I regret to advise you that WorkSafeNB will not be opening your claim for loss of earnings benefits, as the disability is not related to the original injury occurring on January 30, 2006.
At the request of Ms. Nesbitt in November 2012, the Commission reconsidered its decision, but in a letter dated December 4, 2012, the decision was confirmed. [ 5 ] Ms. Nesbitt successfully appealed the Commission’s decision to the Appeals Tribunal. In a decision dated October 10, 2013, the Tribunal held: The original injury of January 30, 2006, was accepted as “soft tissue injuries to head neck and back” […]. The appellant demonstrated ongoing symptoms and sought ongoing medical attention for the continuing presence of her symptoms related to her head, neck and back injury of 2006.
In fact, the Commission continued to authorize physiotherapy and acupuncture treatments for the claim until September 7, 2010. Dr. Greg Maclean, neurologist, in his letter dated December 20, 2012, stated that most of her pain has come on since her injury of January 2006 and the Panel took this letter as objective medical findings. As the Appeals Panel finds that the appellant’s disability is related to her original injury of January 30, 2006, the Panel accepts the appeal and directs the Commission to reopen the claim as a recurrence from September 7, 2010, for the appropriate benefits to which she is eligible.
The original injury of January 30, 2006, was accepted for “head, neck and back” and the appellant sought ongoing medical attention for the continuing presence of the problem and informed supervisors of symptoms an ongoing basis since the original compensable injury. [p. 9] [ 6 ] On July 25, 2014, the Commission wrote to Ms.
Nesbitt to advise her that her claim would be closed as of August 1, 2014, explaining its decision as follows: Your claim was originally accepted for soft tissue injuries to the head, neck and back occurring on January 30, 2006 and reopened for a recurrence effective September 7, 2010 as per the Appeals Tribunal decision.
When reopening the claim, we realized there was medical information missing from your file; we requested your medical records as well as an independent medical examination to help to provide a full picture of your medical history, current status, and allow us to assess any possible barriers to your recovery. […] When weighing medical evidence, WorkSafeNB evaluates the credibility and quality of the evidence provided and the expertise of the individuals providing the opinions, including their supporting rational and the objective medical evidence to reach those opinions.
In this case, WorkSafeNB weighs the independent medical report dated June 9, 2014 as the most persuasive and impressive evidence within this
file, as its opinions are in consideration of the information in its entirety and provides specialist reviews of pre and post-injury radiology, orthopedics and occupational medicine issues. WorkSafeNB therefore accepts the opinion that “current ongoing symptoms and physical limitations are not attributable to this injury” and that personal non-compensable issues are now the dominant cause of disablement from work. As this report provides evidence to the contrary that current disablement is not a result of your work accident, your claim will be closed as of August 1, 2014. [ 7 ] Again, Ms.
Nesbitt appealed, and again she was successful. The Appeals Tribunal decision dated January 8, 2018, sets out its rationale as follows: This file is undoubtedly complex, and there is conflicting medical evidence on record. There are flags identified which I recognize and agree are concerning to the future of this file, but I am focused on whether this claim was properly closed. In this case, the decision letter communicating the decision to the appellant was replete with errors and did not properly explain the law behind how the decision was made. Decision letters, pursuant to
section 3.0 Communicating Decisions of policy 21-113 Weighing Information (release 002), should explain the rationale, including the applicable legislation and policies used in the decision-making process. […] This letter fails in that regard. Further, the decision-maker relied on the conclusions of the CHS report, which contains identified errors, and refers to negative sections of Dr. E. Yuzda and Dr. Edwin Smith’s medical reports, without considering the portions which supported the appellant’s claim.
As an advocate, choosing one side over another, this is commonplace, but the Commission’s decision-maker should be neutral and should consider all of the evidence-including that which supports the appellant’s claim. The purpose of worker’s compensation is not to run an insurance program and seek to screen out claimants, but to accept workplace injuries and support injured workers to return to work as soon and safely as possible, if able. Given the errors identified in the decision letter, and the reliance on the CHS report with identified errors, this appeal must be accepted.
The Commission is directed to reopen the appellant’s file as a recurrence, effective the date of closure. [paras. 37-38] The Appeals Tribunal also addressed the delay between the 2014 decision under appeal and the hearing, which took place in October 2017. It was established that Ms. Nesbitt had indicated her intent to appeal “within the one year time limitation,” but that the appeal was not pursued at that time. In an August 21, 2017 letter, the Registrar granted Ms. Nesbitt’s request for an extension of time. [ 8 ] The Commission’s next action on this file was communicated to Ms.
Nesbitt in a letter to her dated February 21, 2018: In relation to your Workers’ Compensation Appeal Tribunal (WCAT) decision dated January 8, 2018; as discussed with you, we have obtained all the required documentation and are currently in process of calculating your retroactive benefit payment. Your benefit entitlement has been established and will be processed biweekly, in the amount of $889.22.
Noting the conflicting medical evidence within the WCAT decision and a requirement to determine your medical status in relation to ongoing management, WorkSafeNB is seeking a medical evaluation by a Physiatrist, a doctor in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. We note that in 2012 you saw Dr. Patricia Forgeron, please advise if you have any objections to seeing her again in consultation to assist with ongoing management of your file. If no objections are identified, we will proceed with this referral. [ 9 ] The referral took place as indicated, and Ms. Nesbitt was examined by Dr. Forgeron.
The doctor’s report dated May 11, 2018, contains the following key conclusions: Ms. Nesbitt is a 54-year-old female with a long-history of migraine and chronic daily headaches, which pre-dated the accident of January 30, 2006. On January 24, 2006, within a week preceding the slip and fall incident, Ms. Nesbitt was complaining of pain in the interscapular region and was prescribed a muscle relaxant and anti-inflammatory medication. It has also been established Ms. Nesbitt has a significant psychiatric history prior to 2006 with pre and post-accident psychosocial stressors.
At the time of my initial assessment of May 10, 2012, my clinical examination did reveal myofascial pain referred pain pattern from the left upper and middle trapezii muscles causing paresthesias (numbness and tingling) into the left hand. Given the medical facts and my experience in treating hundreds of patients with myofascial pain syndrome, there is a high probability (greater than 60%) that Ms. Nesbitt was going to develop myofascial pain syndrome, associated with her daily chronic headaches, regardless of the incident of January 30, 2006.
Presently, Ms. Nesbitt specifically reported that she is experiencing minimal pain radiating from the left posterior shoulder to the left hand causing paresthesias. My present examination did not reveal any trigger points of the trapezii muscles and no signs of myofascial pain. My present examination did not reveal any musculoskeletal or neurological abnormalities. Ms. Nesbitt exhibited an ability to travel in a car approximately 1.5 hours for this appointment and then was capable of sitting for 40 minutes waiting for the assessment and an additional 60 minutes during my assessment.
In my experience, myofascial pain and associated findings would manifest with driving and sitting for prolonged periods. The fact Ms. Nesbitt did not display pain and she presented with a completely normal physical examination is evidence that Ms. Nesbitt’s myofascial pain has improved since my initial examination of 2012. In my opinion, based on the medical evidence and my assessment of 2012 compared to the present examination, the work event of January 30, 2006 is not presently excluding Ms. Nesbitt from working (with a medical probability of greater than 50%). Based on the medical evidence and Ms.
Nesbitt’s current medical status, there is no medical risk for Ms. Nesbitt to return to work. In fact, during my assessment, I thought Ms. Nesbitt displayed the qualities of a home care worker who could provide supervision to seniors within their home: she presented as conversational; she was capable of driving a relatively long distance and sit for a prolonged period without an exacerbation of myofascial pain or headaches. [ 10 ] With Dr. Forgeron’s report in hand, the Commission again moved to close Ms. Nesbitt’s claim. By letter dated July 6, 2018, the Commission advised Ms.
Nesbitt as follows: In accordance to the Workers’ Compensation Act
section 38.11(14) , compensation ends when the loss of earnings ceases. In order to determine your eligibility for ongoing loss of earnings benefits with WorkSafeNB, it must be determined if you are currently disabled due to your work injury under WCA section 34(2). Based on the evidence on file outlining the details of your January 30, 2006 compensable slip and fall injury, causing you some upper extremity soft tissue injuries; in comparing your pre and post-injury imaging; there was no change identified.
You have been involved in multiple motor vehicle accidents, some pre-dating the 2006 compensable injury reporting neck strain/whiplash symptoms. You also have a long standing history of chronic migraines, predating the 2006 injury. Your 2012 physical assessment by Dr. Forgeron was compared to most recent assessment in 2018, she reports that your compensable· injuries are not excluding you from your ability to return to work.
The review of objective evidence in your file reasonably concludes that your 2006 compensable soft tissue injuries are not causing ongoing disablement; you are therefore not entitled to receive loss of earnings benefits. [ 11 ] The decision of the Commission was confirmed by the Issues Resolutions Office on November 14, 2018, which led to Ms. Nesbitt’s most recent appeal to the Appeals Tribunal. The Tribunal issued its decision on September 3, 2019. Ms. Nesbitt was unsuccessful, and she now appeals the decision of the Appeals Tribunal to this Court. III. Issues and Analysis A.
Standard of review [ 12 ] In 2019, the Supreme Court issued its decision in Canada (Minister of Citizenship and Immigration) v. Vavilov , 2019 SCC 65 , [2019] S.C.J. No. 65 (QL) , which introduced changes to the field of administrative law in Canada. Recently, Richard C.J.N.B. examined the standard of review to be applied in appeals from decisions of the Appeals Tribunal in light of Vavilov . In Longphee v. Workplace Health, Safety and Compensation Commission , 2020 NBCA 45 , [2020] N.B.J.
No. 157 (QL) , he states: Over the years, there have been many formulations of the standard of judicial review of administrative decision-making. The recent decision of the Supreme Court of Canada in Canada (Minister of Citizenship and Immigration) v. Vavilov , 2019 SCC 65 , [2019] S.C.J. No. 65 (QL) , has brought about much-needed clarity. In sum, where a court reviews the merits of an administrative decision, there is a presumption the applicable standard of review is reasonableness; however, this presumption can be rebutted. Rebuttal occurs when the
legislature has indicated that a different standard should be applied, either by legislating the standard or by providing a statutory appeal mechanism for the decision in question. In the former situation, the standard to be applied is the one set out in the legislation, whereas in the latter the usual appellate standards of review are applicable.
The presumption will also be rebutted where required by the rule of law, that is “for certain types of legal questions: constitutional questions, general questions of law of central importance to the legal system as a whole and questions regarding the jurisdictional boundaries between two or more administrative bodies” (para 53). […] In our view, Vavilov does not fundamentally change our Court’s approach to appeals against decisions of the Appeals Tribunal as set out in VSL .
As Drapeau C.J.N.B. explained, decisions that are the product of a palpable and overriding error of fact (or of mixed law and fact) cannot be said to be made “upon the real merits of the case” as required by the legislation. If anything, Vavilov simply provides us with an opportunity to standardize the language to be used in appellate review of appeals against decisions of the Appeals Tribunal. Terms such as material errors, unreasonableness and the like are no longer applicable in these types of cases.
Decisions of the Appeals Tribunal that raise questions of law or jurisdiction must be reviewed in the Court of Appeal on the correctness standard; whereas decisions that raise questions of fact, or questions of mixed law and fact where no question of law is readily extricable, will be reviewed on the palpable and overriding standard in order to determine whether the decision was made “upon the real merits of the case.” [paras. 15 and 18] B. Issues on appeal [ 13 ] Ms. Nesbitt alleges the Appeals Tribunal: 1. Should not have reconsidered its earlier decision; 2. Reversed the burden of proof; 3.
Failed to ask itself whether her compensable injuries were contributing to her disablement; 4. Failed to correctly interpret the term “disablement”; and, 5. Failed to make its decision based on the real merits and justice of the case. C. Reconsideration [ 14 ] Sections 22.1(1)(
a) and (
b) of the Workplace Health, Safety and Compensation Commission and Workers’ Compensation Appeals Tribunal Act , S.N.B. 1994, c. W-14 , provide as follows:
22.1(1) The Appeals Tribunal may reconsider a decision, order or ruling it previously made or rescind, alter or amend the decision, order or ruling if it is satisfied that new evidence has become available or has been discovered that is substantial and material to the decision, order or ruling, and the evidence (
a) did not exist at the time of the hearing before the Appeals Tribunal, or (
b) did exist at that time but was not discovered and could not through the exercise of reasonable diligence have been discovered. 22.1(1) Le Tribunal d’appel peut considérer de nouveau toute décision ou ordonnance qu’il a rendue antérieurement ou annuler, changer ou modifier cette décision ou cette ordonnance s’il est convaincu que de nouveaux éléments de preuve sont maintenant disponibles ou ont été découverts et que ces éléments sont importants ou pertinents à la décision ou à l’ordonnance et, selon le cas :
a) n’existaient pas au moment où le Tribunal d’appel a tenu l’audience;
b) existaient à ce moment-là mais n’avaient pas été découverts et n’auraient pu l’être par l’exercice d’une diligence raisonnable. [ 15 ] Ms. Nesbitt argues the decision under appeal constitutes a reconsideration of the Appeals Tribunal decision of January 8, 2018, as set out in her written submission: It is submitted that Worksafe is attempting to close the Appellant’s case now on the very same basis on which they had been attempting to close her file in the appeal that was heard by Chair Salmon. It is submitted that as such the Appeals Tribunal is being asked to reconsider its previous decision.
It is submitted that Dr. Forgeron’s report does not constitute new evidence. It is merely a new opinion based on her
interpretation of her physical finding on her examination of the Appellant. It is clear that the Appellant’s family doctor, who is Dr. Kabongo, had a different opinion. It is also submitted that in order to constitute new evidence which is substantial and material that Dr. Forgeron would have to have identified new evidence which supported the conclusion that the Appellant could return to work and function in a competitive work environment. Dr. Forgeron’s report does not reveal new evidence that the Appellant can return to work and function in a competitive work environment.
It is simply a fresh opinion in which she opines that the Appellant’s compensable injury is not enough to stop her from returning to her job. The limited scope of Dr. Forgeron’s opinion also means that it is neither substantial nor material. [ 16 ] In support of her position, Ms. Nesbitt relies on Page v. Workplace Health, Safety and Compensation Commission of New Brunswick , 2006 NBCA 95 , 304 N.B.R. (2d) 128 , per Robertson J.A., for the majority, and in particular, this passage from that decision: […] The only evidence adduced by the Commission was the opinion letter of its expert, Dr.
Comper, who disagreed with the findings of another expert, Dr. Boulay, whose evidence had already been accepted by the Appeals Tribunal in the earlier proceeding. In my view, this does not constitute new evidence within the meaning of s. 22. Otherwise, there would be no finality with respect to claims on which the Appeals Tribunal has already ruled.
It is not terribly difficult to find one expert who is prepared to disagree with another. […] [para. 74] [ 17 ] The Commission, on the other hand, characterizes what transpired not as a reconsideration, but rather as “a function of its ongoing management of the claim.” It points to its authority under s. 34(2) of the Workers’ Compensation Act : 34
(1) Except as provided in
section 42.3, the Commission has exclusive jurisdiction to examine into, hear and determine all matters and questions arising under this Part and as to any matter or thing in respect to which any 34
(1) Sauf dans les cas prévus à l’article 42.3, la Commission a compétence exclusive pour instruire, entendre et juger toutes les affaires et questions se rapportant à la présente
Partie et toute affaire ou chose à l’égard desquelles
power, authority or discretion is conferred upon the Commission, and the action or decision of the Commission thereon shall be final and conclusive and shall not be open to question or review in any court, and no proceedings by or before the Commission shall be restrained by injunction or other process or proceeding in any court. 34
(2) Without thereby limiting the generality of the provisions of subsection (1), such exclusive jurisdiction extends to determining: (
a) the existence of, and degree of, disability by reason of any injury; (
b) the permanence of disability by reason of any injury; (
c) the amount of average earnings, average net earnings, loss of earnings, net family income and an amount for a permanent physical impairment arising out of an injury; (
d) the degree of diminution of earning capacity by reason of any injury; (
e) the existence of the relationship of “member of the family”; (
f) the existence of dependency; (
g) the character, for the purposes of this Act, of any industry, and the class to which such industry should be assigned; (
h) whether the employment of a person in an industry within the scope of this
Part is that of a worker, a sub-contractor or an independent contractor; (h.1) whether an employer has fulfilled its obligations to a worker under
section 42.4; un pouvoir, une autorisation ou une discrétion est conférée à la Commission; l’action ou la décision de la Commission est alors définitive et péremptoire et n’est susceptible de contestation ou de révision devant aucun tribunal, et aucune procédure engagée par la Commission ou devant elle ne peut être entravée par injonction ou autre acte de procédure ou instance devant aucun tribunal. 34
(2) Sans que cela limite le caractère général des dispositions du paragraphe (1), cette compétence exclusive s’étend à la détermination :
a) de l’existence et du degré de l’incapacité due à une lésion;
b) de la permanence de l’incapacité due à une lésion;
c) du montant du salaire moyen, du salaire net moyen, de la perte de gains, du revenu familial net et d’un montant pour un affaiblissement physique du fait d’une lésion;
d) du degré de diminution de la capacité de gain due à une lésion;
e) de l’existence du lien de parenté de « membre de la famille »;
f) de l’existence de la dépendance de personne à charge;
g) de la nature, aux fins de la présente loi, d’une industrie, et de la catégorie à laquelle cette industrie devrait être rattachée;
h) de la question de savoir si l’emploi d’une personne dans une industrie entrant dans le champ d’application de cette
Partie est celui d’un travailleur, d’un sous-traitant ou d’un entrepreneur indépendant; h.1) de la question de savoir si l’employeur a rempli ses obligations envers un salarié comme le prévoit l’article 42.4;
i) de la question de savoir si la lésion corporelle ou le décès ont été causés par accident;
(
i) whether personal injury or death has been caused by accident; (
j) whether an accident arose out of and in the course of an employment within the scope of this Act.
j) de la question de savoir si l’accident est survenu du fait ou au cours d’un emploi entrant dans le champ d’application de la présente loi. [ 18 ] The Commission further relies on s. 38.11(14) : 38.11(14) Compensation under this
section is payable until the earliest of the following events: (
a) the loss of earnings resulting from the injury by accident ceases; (
b) the worker attains the age of 65 years; (
c) the occurrence of a personal intervening condition not related to the injury by accident that has become the dominant cause of the worker’s inability to return to work or participate in rehabilitation; or (
d) the occurrence of any circumstance not related to the injury by accident that has become the dominant cause of the worker’s inability to return to work or participate in rehabilitation. 38.11
(14) L’indemnité prévue par le présent
article est versée au travailleur jusqu’à ce que se produise un des événements suivants :
a) sa perte de gains en raison de la lésion subie par suite d’un accident cesse;
b) il atteint l’âge de 65 ans;
c) une condition personnelle intervenante qui n’est pas liée à la lésion subie par suite d’un accident et qui est devenue la cause prédominante de son incapacité à retourner au travail ou à déployer des efforts pour sa réadaptation survient;
d) toute circonstance qui n’est pas liée à la lésion subie par suite d’un accident et qui est devenue la cause prédominante de son incapacité à retourner au travail ou à déployer des efforts pour sa réadaptation se présente. [ 19 ] Circumstances with respect to an individual’s health are fluid. Injuries that may have prevented a person from working in the past are not necessarily going to prevent them from working indefinitely or may not continue to be the “dominant cause” of their inability to work. The Legislature’s decision to include the provisions of s. 38.11(14) in the Act make that possibility clear.
The Commission maintains that, “[a] decision based on evidence that the workplace injury no longer disables the worker from work is not a reconsideration.” I agree. [ 20 ] A comment on the Page decision is warranted. In that case, two experts came to differing opinions on whether Mr. Page had suffered a workplace injury. As Robertson J.A. explains: In
summary, Dr. Comper’s opinion letter does not profess to hold that Mr. Page is no longer disabled as a result of a work-related injury. Rather, his report is directed at supporting one finding: Mr. Page did not suffer a work-related injury. [ 21 ] In the present case, Dr. Forgeron was not in any way disputing that Ms. Nesbitt had suffered a workplace
injury in 2006. This was not a contest between experts. The question was whether Ms. Nesbitt continued to be disabled and unable to return to work some 12 years later as a result of that injury. Dr. Forgeron’s assessment was of Ms. Nesbitt’s condition as she presented at the time of the examination, and she was not reevaluating or challenging the conclusions reached by medical professionals many years earlier. As for the opinion of Ms. Nesbitt’s family physician, Dr. Kabongo, I shall comment more on his report later in these reasons. For now, I will highlight only one of his statements, given that Ms.
Nesbitt asserts Dr. Kabongo “had a different opinion” from Dr. Forgeron. He wrote, “I strongly agree with Dr. Forgeron’s report.” [ 22 ] On this first ground, I see no error on the part of the Appeals Tribunal. D. Burden of proof [ 23 ] Ms. Nesbitt alleges the Appeals Tribunal reversed the burden of proof and points to the following. Paragraph 15 of the decision states in part: Dr. Forgeron also describes the appellant’s current symptoms. We will quote Dr.
Forgeron in full in relation to the appellant’s presentation during this assessment as it needs to be considered in juxtaposition to the appellant’s evidence presented at the hearing of this appeal: […] [ 24 ] Later in the decision, the Appeals Tribunal makes the following observations and conclusion: Third, it appears to the Tribunal that the appellant’s testimony at the hearing of this appeal is inconsistent with the symptoms reported to Dr. Forgeron during that assessment. Indeed, Dr.
Forgeron would have relied upon the appellant’s responses to her various questions and her subjective reports of functional ability and pain. All these reports are detailed in Dr. Forgeron’s assessment. The appellant cannot in my view explain it away by simply suggesting that she had “one good day”. There is no reason why Dr. Forgeron would have made any errors in relation to recording the appellant’s subjective complaints and history and present condition. While I do not doubt that the appellant has chronic pain (and nor does Dr. Forgeron or Dr.
Kabongo), the question of the issue on appeal is whether or not she is disabled as a result of her compensable injury. The preponderance of the evidence seems to indicate at the current time that she is not disabled from working as a result of her compensable injury. [para. 41] [ 25 ] Ms. Nesbitt contends the Appeals Tribunal shifted the onus on her to disprove the findings of Dr. Forgeron. With respect, that is not what transpired. The Appeals Tribunal correctly identified the issue as whether Ms. Nesbitt was “disabled as a result of the compensable injury”.
It was presented with inconsistent evidence between Ms. Nesbitt and Dr. Forgeron, and simply undertook a weighing exercise to determine which should receive more weight. The Appeals Tribunal determined, and explained why, it favoured the evidence of Dr. Forgeron. In proceeding as it did, the Tribunal made no error in relation to the burden of proof applicable to the issue of Ms. Nesbitt’s disability. This ground of appeal is not sustained by the record.
I leave to another day the resolution of any debate pertaining to which party bears the burden of proof in cases involving a termination of benefits. [ 26 ] I would also note the Commission objected to the consideration of this issue by the Court, as it was not raised as a ground in the Notice of Appeal: see Rule 62.09(2) of the Rules of Court . Their objection is well taken, but of no practical consequence as I would not give effect to this ground, as set out above. E. Were Ms.
Nesbitt’s compensable injuries contributing to her disablement? [ 27 ] This ground of appeal is anchored to the provisions of s. 7(5) of the Workers’ Compensation Act , which Ms. Nesbitt alleges “the Chair failed to correctly interpret”:
(5) When a personal injury by accident arising out of and in the course of employment exacerbates or aggravates a pre- existing disease or condition, compensation that the Commission determines is reasonably attributable to the injury caused by the accident shall be payable, and not for the natural progression of the pre-existing disease or condition. 7
(5) Lorsqu’une lésion corporelle subie par suite d’un accident qui s’est produit du fait et au cours de l’emploi aggrave ou exacerbe une maladie ou condition préexistante, la Commission accorde l’indemnité à laquelle elle estime que cette lésion donne raisonnablement droit, mais aucune indemnité n’est accordée à l’égard de la progression naturelle de la maladie ou de la condition préexistante. [ 28 ] I struggle to see the applicability of this provision, given it pertains to an “aggravation or exacerbation” of a “pre-existing disease or condition” which would have been in existence at the time of the workplace injury.
Such is not the case here. Ms. Nesbitt argues the Appeals Tribunal should have asked whether her compensable injury contributed to her disablement, but in my opinion that is not related to s. 7(5) . [ 29 ] The Appeals Tribunal asked itself the following question: does the evidence support that Ms. Nesbitt continues to be disabled as a result of her January 30, 2006 compensable injuries?
This is the question the Tribunal went on to answer, and properly so. [ 30 ] At the outset of the hearing before the Appeals Tribunal, the Chairperson framed the issue on appeal as follows: So the Issue here today, as I look at page 1 of the Appeal Record, is that you are appealing the July 6th 2018 decision, which was confirmed on November 14th 2018, advising that your entitlement to loss of earnings benefits ended effective June 29th 2018.
You were advised that evidence on file supports that you are no longer disabled as a result of your January 30 th 2006 compensable injuries and, as such, there is no longer a reduction of earning capacity by reason of the work-related injuries and, therefore, loss of earnings ceases to exist. So the Issue is obviously taken from the decisions that are referred to there. [ 31 ] The Chairperson then asked the Workers’ Advocate if there were any other issues he had to address, and she responded in the negative. [ 32 ] I am not persuaded there was as error with respect to this ground of appeal. F.
Disablement [ 33 ] Ms. Nesbitt alleges the Appeals Tribunal “adopted a rigid formalistic view of what constituted ‘disablement’ based on its assessment of whether the appellant was at any medical risk” by returning to work. She also argues that the Appeals Tribunal “had to consider much more than the risk of harm in deciding whether the appellant could return to work.” With respect, I do not find the Appeals Tribunal undertook that narrow an analysis. [ 34 ] There is no question that the risk posed to Ms. Nesbitt if she were to return to work was discussed by Dr. Forgeron and Dr.
Kabongo, but their reports and comments were not limited to that issue alone. The Appeals Tribunal considered all of the evidence before it, including that of Ms. Nesbitt. The Tribunal then asked itself if Ms. Nesbitt was “disabled as a result of her compensable injury” and concluded she was not. That was the Tribunal’s decision to make. I see no error here. G. The real merits and justice of the case [ 35 ] What is required of the Appeals Tribunal is clearly articulated in s. 21(9)(
a) of the WHSCC & WCAT Act :
21(9) In an appeal, the Appeals Tribunal shall (
a) make its decision on a case-by-case basisbased on the real merits and justice of theparticular case, 21(9) Dans le cadre d’un appel, le Tribunald’appel :
a) rend sa décision au cas par cas en toutejustice et sur le bien-fondé de l’espèce; [36] In Paul v. Worksafe NB, 2018 NBCA 47, [2018] N.B.J.
No. 169 (QL), Quigg J.A., writing for the Court, madeclear that the Appeals Tribunal is duty bound to “consider all the evidence”, including the testimony of the worker before the Tribunal.She held that, “[w]hile the Tribunal was free to make credibility findings and determine the weight it might attach to any item ofevidence, it was nevertheless duty bound to at least consider all the evidence.” The decision of the Appeals Tribunal in Paul was setaside because the Tribunal failed to consider all the evidence, and in particular the testimony of the injured worker. The same simplycannot be said in the case of Ms.
Nesbitt. [37] The Appeals Tribunal clearly understood its responsibilities, as evidenced by the following passage from itsdecision: It is, therefore, important to note at this time that this Tribunal must consider all the evidence, both objective and subjective, in the formof testimony given at the hearing of this appeal, in order the render a decision based on the real merits and justice of the case, pursuant tosubsection 21(9) of the Workplace Health, Safety and Compensation Commission and Workers’ Compensation Appeals Tribunal Act, butalso based upon the direction of the Court of Appeal of New Brunswick in Paul v.
WorkSafe NB 2018 NBCA 47 . That meansthat we will consider and render our decision based on the testimony provided by the appellant at the hearing of this appeal, but alsobased on Dr. Forgeron’s recent 2018 assessment as well as Dr. Kabongo’s responses to questions posed by the workers’ advocate and allother evidence. As noted above, in the previous Appeals Tribunal’s decisions and especially in decision 20178487, there is certainly conflicting medicalevidence which, at the time, lead the Tribunal to conclude that the file should be reopened.
The Commission and the appellant, throughher request to the family physician, sought to obtain clarification or a further opinion to guide them to sort through this conflictingevidence. This new evidence would presumably assist in assessing the claim and whether there is ongoing entitlement to loss of earningsbenefits. This is also why we believe that yet another assessment was requested by the Commission from Dr. Forgeron. Dr. Forgeronhad already seen the appellant in 2012 and was uniquely positioned to provide a comparative analysis.
In my view, obtaining suchassessment in light of all the conflicting evidence and the direction of the previous Appeals Tribunal’s decisions was certainlyappropriate in the circumstances. Nevertheless, the appellant suggests that greater weight ought to be placed upon certain reports that appeared to link the appellant’sinjuries, at least in part, to the workplace accident of January 30, 2006 including, but not limited to Dr. Fletcher’s report of November 20,2012 […]; Dr. MacLean’s report dated September 7, 2010 […] as well as his further report dated December 20, 2012 […].
The workers’ advocate also referenced the Supreme Court of Canada decision of Nova Scotia (Workers’ Compensation Board) v.Martin; Nova Scotia (Workers’ Compensation Board) v. Laseurs [2003] SCC 54 for the proposition that subjective as well asobjective evidence should be considered in assessing claims involving chronic pain. This decision is well known and certainly has beenreviewed by this Tribunal in rendering its decision.
In our view, the Nova Scotia WCB decision is consistent with the Court of Appeal’sdecision in Paul, supra, if for no other reason that courts request that assessment of claims, including assessments from the AppealsTribunal, be made on the basis of all the evidence, not solely on the basis of objective evidence. Therefore, all the evidence must beexamined as a whole and weighed accordingly. That is what I have done in this matter. The conflicting evidence referred to previously should be assessed against the backdrop of Dr.Forgeron’s and Dr.
Kabongo’s recent opinions which appear on the face of them to be consistent between the two in terms of theappellant’s ability to work, as a result of the 2006 workplace accident. In essence, both Dr. Forgeron and Dr. Kabongo’s reports are verysimilar in their findings and both physicians appeared to agree that the 2006 workplace accident was not preventing the appellant fromreturning to work with a medical probability of greater than 50 percent. In particular, Dr. Forgeron’s report is detailed and addresses all relevant factors that would be considered in preparing a medical
assessment of the appellant’s ability to work and also in answering questions posed by the Commission in order to properly manage the file. I see no reason I should not accept Dr. Forgeron’s assessment and opinion and give it the weight it deserves, which is considerable. […] [para. 32-38] [ 38 ] The evidence of Ms. Nesbitt’s family physician is noteworthy. The Workers’ Advocate sent a series of questions concerning Ms. Nesbitt’s condition to Dr. Kabongo in August 2018. He responded on December 21, 2018.
I reproduce below both the questions posed and the answers given which, in my opinion, are particularly relevant to Ms. Nesbitt’s appeal: 1. Is there an on-going disablement from Ms. Nesbitt’s January 30th, 2006 accident whereby she slipped and fell on the ice backwards while wearing a backpack? Or has this injury resolved? Yes, there is on-going disablement from Ms. Nesbitt’s January 30th, 2006 accident. Since the accident, Ms. Nesbitt’s has been persistent upper back pain that has become “Chronic myofascial pain syndrome”. 2. Are you treating Ms.
Nesbitt for other non-compensable conditions that are impacting her disablement? Yes, Ms. Nesbitt is also treated for chronic Migraine, Insomnia and Depression, and Irritable bowel syndrome. All these conditions can impact her disablement. 3. What is the diagnosis you provide for Ms. Nesbitt’s neck and shoulder condition? Can you explain how and if this prevents her from working? Musculoskeletal neck and shoulder pain (post-traumatic) that later became chronic myofascial pain syndrome.
This condition doesn’t prevent her from working but in its actual form it affect the regularity of her work She doesn’t have pain all the time but she has unpredictable flare-up, mostly after sustained strain. 4. Based on the balance of probabilities, is it more likely than not (51%) that Ms. Nesbitt is unable to return to work because of her compensable condition? It is unlikely that Ms. Nesbitt is unable to return to work because of her compensable condition only. 5. Are there medical risks to Ms. Nesbitt returning to work? No, there is no risks to Ms. Nesbitt returning to work .
However, after being off work for so long, she needs a support plan to deal at least with her unpredictable flare up of her neck and shoulder pain. 6. As Ms. Nesbitt’s treating physician, do you agree with Dr. Forgeron’s report, to what extent, please provide as much detail as possible.
I strongly agree with Dr. Forgeron’s report . However, although many of our interventions are based on subjective complaints, it would prejudice the patient if we stop them completely and send Ms. Nesbitt back to work without supportive measures. [Emphasis added.] [ 39 ] After reviewing all of the evidence and assigning it the weight the Appeals Tribunal thought appropriate, the result was as follows: […] The preponderance of the evidence seems to indicate at the current time that [Ms.
Nesbitt] is not disabled from working as a result of her compensable injury. […] For these reasons, the Tribunal concludes that [Ms. Nesbitt] is no longer disabled as a result of her January 30, 2006 compensable injury and, as such, there is no longer a reduction of earning capacity by reason of work-related injuries and, therefore, loss of earnings ceased to exist. The appeal is therefore denied. [paras. 41-43] [ 40 ] In my opinion, it cannot be said that the Appeals Tribunal failed to make its decision based on “the real merits and justice of the case.” IV.
Conclusion and Disposition [ 41 ] For the reasons set out above, I am not persuaded Ms. Nesbitt has identified any errors in the decision of the Appeals Tribunal which would allow for appellate intervention. Accordingly, I would dismiss the appeal. [ 42 ] The practice of the Court is to not order costs against workers in workplace compensation appeals. I see no reason to deviate from that practice in this case, and I would order each side to bear its own costs. Version française du jugement de la Cour rendu par LE JUGE GREEN I.
Introduction [1] Alors qu’elle était inscrite à un programme de comptabilité de deux ans au New Brunswick Community College en 2006, Susan Nesbitt a subi des lésions en tombant après avoir glissé sur la glace. Au cours des années suivantes, elle a eu une
série d’interactions avec la Commission de la santé, de la sécurité et de l’indemnisation des accidents au travail (la Commission) et le Tribunal d’appel des accidents au travail (le Tribunal d’appel). Entre 2010 et 2018, elle a reçu des prestations pour perte de gains du fait de sa lésion. Suite à une décision rendue par la Commission en 2018 de fermer le dossier de sa réclamation et de mettre fin au versement des prestations, M me Nesbitt a porté sans succès son affaire devant le Tribunal d’appel. Elle demande maintenant le rétablissement de ces prestations par notre Cour. II.
Contexte [2] Le 30 janvier 2006, M me Nesbitt a glissé et est tombée sur un trottoir glacé non saupoudré de sel devant un bâtiment du New Brunswick Community College où elle étudiait. Elle s’est cogné la tête et a subi diverses lésions, principalement du côté gauche de son corps. Dans une lettre en date du 3 mars 2006, la Commission a indiqué ce qui suit à M me Nesbitt : [TRADUCTION] Nous vous avisons que votre réclamation de prestations d’indemnisation du fait des lésions des tissus mous à la tête, au cou et au dos que vous avez subies le 30 janvier 2006 a été acceptée.
Les frais médicaux approuvés liés à ces lésions seront pris en charge. Étant donné que les éléments de preuve figurant au dossier indiquent que vous n’avez pas perdu de temps de travail, vous n’êtes pas admissible à des prestations pour perte de gains. [3] Par souci de clarté, je relève que selon l’art. 1 de la
Loi sur les accidents du travail , L.R.N.-B. 1973, ch. W- 13, le terme « travailleur » s’entend également d’un « stagiaire ». Ce même
article définit également le terme « stagiaire ».
Bien que cette définition ne viserait pas une personne dans la situation de M me Nesbitt, la réponse à la question de savoir pourquoi une étudiante d’un collège communautaire était couverte par le régime d’indemnisation des accidents du travail est énoncée dans la Politique 21-010 de la Commission, qui, en sa version actuelle, indique que « Travail sécuritaire NB a une entente avec le New Brunswick Community College et le Collège communautaire du Nouveau-Brunswick en vue de définir davantage les stagiaires des collèges » et poursuit en disant que « [c]onformément à l’entente, Travail sécuritaire NB considère également qu’une personne est un stagiaire lorsqu’elle […] reçoit une formation normale en salle de classe et participe à des activités liées au programme d’études à un New Brunswick Community College ou à un Collège communautaire du Nouveau-Brunswick ». [4] M me Nesbitt a déposé une réclamation de prestations pour perte de gains en 2010 après avoir été mise en arrêt de travail.
À ce moment-là, elle avait achevé ses études et travaillait pour l’Agence du revenu du Canada. La Commission a rejeté sa réclamation par lettre en date du 7 septembre 2010 : [TRADUCTION] Votre réclamation a été examinée par moi-même ainsi que par un médecin-conseil de Travail sécuritaire NB et a été tranchée en conformité avec la
Loi sur les accidents du travail du Nouveau-Brunswick [ L.R.N.-B. 1973, ch. W-13 ]. J’ai le regret de vous informer que Travail sécuritaire NB n’ouvrira pas votre réclamation pour prestations pour perte de gains, car l’incapacité n’est pas liée à la lésion initiale survenue le 30 janvier 2006. En novembre 2012, la Commission a considéré de nouveau sa décision à la demande de M me Nesbitt, et, dans une lettre en date du 4 décembre 2012, la décision a été confirmée. [5] M me Nesbitt a interjeté appel avec succès de la décision de la Commission devant le Tribunal d’appel.
Dans une décision en date du 10 octobre 2013, le Tribunal d’appel a conclu ainsi : [TRADUCTION] La lésion initiale survenue le 30 janvier 2006 a été acceptée à
titre de [TRADUCTION] « lésions des tissus mous à la tête, au cou et au dos » [...] L’appelante a établi que ses symptômes persistaient et a demandé des soins médicaux continus parce qu’elle continuait de souffrir de ses symptômes liés à sa lésion à la tête, au cou et au dos survenue en 2006. En fait, la Commission a continué à autoriser des traitements de physiothérapie et d’acupuncture au
titre de la réclamation jusqu’au 7 septembre 2010. Dans sa lettre datée du
20 décembre 2012, le D r Greg Maclean, neurologue, a déclaré que la plupart de ses douleurs sont apparues depuis la lésion qu’elle a subie en janvier 2006, et le comité a assimilé cette lettre à des conclusions médicales objectives. Le comité du Tribunal d’appel, estimant que l’incapacité de l’appelante est liée à sa lésion initiale survenue le 30 janvier 2006, accueille l’appel et ordonne à la Commission de rouvrir le dossier de la réclamation aux fins du versement des prestations appropriées auxquelles elle est admissible en considérant qu’il y a eu réapparition à partir du 7 septembre 2010.
La réclamation relative à la lésion initiale [TRADUCTION] « à la tête, au cou et au dos » survenue le 30 janvier 2006 a été acceptée et l’appelante a demandé des soins médicaux continus parce qu’elle continuait de souffrir du problème et a informé ses surveillants des symptômes sur une base régulière depuis la lésion indemnisable initiale. [p. 9] [6] Le 25 juillet 2014, la Commission a écrit à M me Nesbitt pour l’informer que le dossier de sa réclamation serait fermé le 1 er août 2014 et a expliqué sa décision de la façon suivante : [TRADUCTION] Votre réclamation a été initialement acceptée concernant des lésions des tissus mous à la tête, au cou et au dos survenues le 30 janvier 2006 et, conformément à la décision du Tribunal d’appel, votre dossier a été rouvert par suite de la réapparition de vos lésions à partir du 7 septembre 2010.
En rouvrant votre dossier, nous nous sommes rendu compte qu’il y manquait des informations médicales; nous avons demandé votre dossier médical ainsi qu’un examen médical indépendant pour nous aider à dresser un tableau complet de vos antécédents médicaux, de votre état actuel, et pour nous permettre d’évaluer les éventuels obstacles à votre rétablissement. […] Lorsqu’il évalue des preuves médicales, Travail sécuritaire NB évalue la crédibilité et la qualité des preuves fournies et l’expertise des personnes qui expriment des avis, y compris les justifications et les preuves médicales objectives qui les étayent.
En l’espèce, Travail sécuritaire NB estime que le rapport médical indépendant daté du 9 juin 2014 constitue la preuve la plus convaincante et la plus impressionnante dans ce dossier, car les avis qui y sont formulés tiennent compte de l’ensemble des données et fournissent des conclusions de spécialistes sur des questions de radiologie, d’orthopédie et de médecine du travail avant et après la lésion.
Travail sécuritaire NB accepte donc l’avis selon lequel [TRADUCTION] « les symptômes et les limitations physiques actuels continus ne sont pas imputables à cette lésion » et que les problèmes personnels non indemnisables sont désormais la cause prédominante de votre incapacité de travailler. Comme ce rapport apporte la preuve contraire que votre incapacité actuelle ne résulte pas de votre accident de travail, votre dossier sera fermé le 1 er août 2014. [7] M me Nesbitt a de nouveau fait appel; de nouveau, elle a eu gain de cause.
La décision du Tribunal d’appel en date du 8 janvier 2018 expose son raisonnement : [TRADUCTION] Ce dossier est indubitablement complexe et les preuves médicales qui y sont versées sont contradictoires. Il y a des indicateurs qui ont été relevés et qui, je le reconnais et j’en conviens, soulèvent des inquiétudes quant à l’avenir de ce dossier, mais je m’attarde sur la question de savoir si ce dossier a été fermé à juste titre.
En l’espèce, la lettre de décision communiquant la décision à l’appelante était truffée d’erreurs et n’expliquait pas convenablement le droit qui sous-tend la manière dont la décision a été prise. Selon l’article 3.0 Communication des décisions de la Politique 21-113 Évaluation des renseignements (diffusion n o 002), les lettres de décision devraient expliquer les raisons, y compris les politiques et lois appliquées lors du processus de prise de décision. [...] Cette lettre échoue à cet égard.
De plus, le décideur s’est fondé sur les conclusions du rapport de SSC, qui contient des erreurs relevées et fait référence à des parties négatives des rapports médicaux du D r E. Yuzda et du D r Edwin Smith, sans tenir compte des parties qui appuient la réclamation de l’appelante. Il est pratique courante pour un défenseur de choisir une
partie plutôt qu’une autre, mais le décideur de la Commission devrait faire preuve de neutralité et prendre en considération l’ensemble de la preuve, y compris celle qui étaye la réclamation de l’appelante. L’objectif du régime d’indemnisation des accidents du travail n’est pas d’administrer un régime d’assurance et de chercher à écarter les réclamations des accidentés du travail, mais d’accepter les lésions subies au travail et d’aider les accidentés du travail à retourner au travail le plus rapidement possible et en toute sécurité, s’ils le peuvent.
Compte tenu des erreurs relevées dans la lettre de décision et de l’importance accordée au rapport de SSC entaché des erreurs relevées, le présent appel doit être accueilli. Il est ordonné à la Commission de rouvrir le dossier de l’appelante en considérant qu’il s’agit d’une
réapparition de sa lésion à compter de la date à laquelle le dossier a été fermé. [par. 37 et 38] Le Tribunal d’appel s’est également penché sur le délai entre la décision de 2014 portée en appel et l’audience, qui a eu lieu en octobre 2017. Il a été établi que M me Nesbitt avait indiqué son intention de faire appel [TRADUCTION] « dans le délai d’un an », mais qu’il n’avait pas été donné suite à l’appel à ce moment-là.
Dans une lettre du 21 août 2017, le registraire a fait droit à la demande de prorogation de délai de M me Nesbitt. [8] L’intervention suivante de la Commission dans ce dossier a été communiquée à M me Nesbitt dans une lettre qui lui a été adressée le 21 février 2018 : [TRADUCTION] S’agissant de la décision du Tribunal d’appel des accidents au travail (le Tribunal d’appel) datée du 8 janvier 2018 vous concernant, comme nous en avons discuté avec vous, nous avons obtenu tous les documents pertinents et calculons actuellement le montant de vos prestations rétroactives.
Votre admissibilité aux prestations a été établie et sera traitée toutes les deux semaines, pour la somme de 889,22 $. Vu les preuves médicales contradictoires dans la décision du Tribunal d’appel et compte tenu de l’obligation de déterminer votre état de santé en vue de la gestion continue de votre état, Travail sécuritaire NB entend obtenir une évaluation médicale par un physiatre, un médecin en médecine physique et réadaptation. Nous notons qu’en 2012 vous avez vu la D re Patricia Forgeron.
Veuillez nous faire savoir si vous vous opposeriez à la consulter de nouveau pour faciliter la gestion continue de votre dossier. Si vous n’avez aucune objection, nous procéderons à cette orientation. [9] L’orientation a eu lieu comme indiqué, et M me Nesbitt a été examinée par la D re Forgeron. Le rapport médical, daté du 11 mai 2018, contient les principales conclusions suivantes : [TRADUCTION] M me Nesbitt est une femme de 54 ans avec un long passé de migraines et de maux de tête chroniques quotidiens datant d’avant l’accident du 30 janvier 2006.
Le 24 janvier 2006, dans la semaine précédant l’incident au cours duquel elle a glissé et est tombée, M me Nesbitt se plaignait de douleurs dans la région interscapulaire et on lui a prescrit un relaxant musculaire et un médicament anti-inflammatoire. Il a également été établi que M me Nesbitt avait des antécédents psychiatriques importants avant 2006, marqués de facteurs de stress psychosociaux avant et après l’accident.
Lors de ma première évaluation, le 10 mai 2012, mon examen clinique a révélé des douleurs myofasciales, des douleurs projetées prenant leur origine dans les muscles trapèzes supérieurs et moyens gauches, provoquant des paresthésies (engourdissement et fourmillement) et ressenties dans la main gauche.
Compte tenu des faits médicaux et de mon expérience dans le traitement de centaines de patients atteints du syndrome de la douleur myofasciale, il y a une forte probabilité (plus de 60 %) que M me Nesbitt développe un syndrome de la douleur myofasciale, associé à ses maux de tête chroniques quotidiens, que l’incident du 30 janvier 2006 se soit produit ou non. Actuellement, M me Nesbitt a spécifiquement indiqué qu’elle ressentait une douleur minime irradiant de l’épaule postérieure gauche vers la main gauche et provoquant des paresthésies.
L’examen auquel je viens de procéder n’a révélé aucun point de déclenchement des muscles trapèzes et aucun signe de douleur myofasciale. Cet examen n’a pas non plus révélé d’anomalie musculosquelettique ou neurologique. M me Nesbitt a montré qu’elle pouvait se déplacer en voiture pendant environ 1,5 heure pour ce rendez-vous et qu’elle pouvait ensuite rester assise pendant 40 minutes en attendant l’évaluation et 60 minutes de plus pendant mon évaluation.
D’après mon expérience, la douleur myofasciale et les affections connexes se manifesteraient lorsque l’on conduit et que l’on reste assis pendant de longues périodes. Le fait que M me Nesbitt n’a ressenti aucune douleur et que son examen physique a été tout à fait normal prouve que la douleur myofasciale de M me Nesbitt s’est améliorée depuis mon examen initial de 2012.
À mon avis, d’après les preuves médicales et mon évaluation de 2012, et si on les compare à l’examen auquel je viens de procéder, l’événement survenu au travail le 30 janvier 2006 n’empêche pas actuellement M me Nesbitt de travailler (avec une probabilité médicale supérieure à 50 %). Compte tenu des preuves médicales et de l’état de santé actuel de M me Nesbitt, son retour au travail ne lui poserait aucun risque médical.
En fait, lors de mon évaluation, j’ai pensé que M me Nesbitt manifestait les qualités d’une aide à domicile apte à assurer la surveillance des personnes âgées à leur domicile : elle s’est présentée comme une personne capable de converser, de conduire sur une distance relativement longue et de rester assise pendant une longue période sans exacerbation de ses douleurs myofasciales ou maux de tête. [10] Munie du rapport de la D re Forgeron, la Commission a de nouveau décidé de fermer le dossier de M me Nesbitt. Par lettre en date du 6 juillet 2018, la Commission a informé M me Nesbitt de ce qui suit : [TRADUCTION] Conformément au paragraphe 38.11(14) de la
Loi sur les accidents du travail , l’indemnisation prend fin lorsque la perte de gains cesse. Afin de déterminer votre admissibilité aux prestations pour perte de gains continue auprès de Travail sécuritaire NB, il faut déterminer si vous êtes actuellement frappée d’incapacité en raison de votre accident du travail au regard du paragraphe 34(2) de la
Loi sur les accidents du travail . D’après les éléments de preuve figurant au dossier qui décrivent les détails de la lésion indemnisable que vous avez subie par suite de vos glissade et chute du 30 janvier 2006, qui vous ont causé des lésions aux tissus mous des membres supérieurs, en comparant votre imagerie avant et après la lésion, aucun changement n’a été relevé. Vous avez été impliquée dans de multiples accidents de la route, dont certains sont antérieurs à la lésion indemnisable de 2006, provoquant des symptômes d’entorse cervicale/coup de lapin.
Vous souffrez également depuis longtemps de migraines chroniques ayant commencé avant la lésion de 2006. Votre évaluation physique réalisée en 2012 par la D re Forgeron a été comparée à l’évaluation la plus récente de 2018; la D re Forgeron estime que vos lésions indemnisables ne vous empêchent pas de retourner au travail.
L’examen des preuves objectives figurant dans votre dossier permet de conclure raisonnablement que les lésions des tissus mous indemnisables que vous avez subies en 2006 ne sont pas à l’origine de votre incapacité continue; vous n’êtes donc pas admissible à des prestations pour perte de gains. [11] La décision de la Commission a été confirmée par le Bureau de résolution de problèmes le 14 novembre 2018, ce qui a mené à l’appel le plus récent interjeté par M me Nesbitt devant le Tribunal d’appel. Le Tribunal d’appel a rendu sa décision le 3 septembre 2019.
M me Nesbitt n’a pas eu gain de cause, et elle interjette maintenant appel de la décision du Tribunal d’appel devant notre Cour. III. Questions en litige et analyse A. Norme de contrôle [12] En 2019, la Cour suprême a rendu sa décision dans l’affaire Canada (Ministre de la Citoyenneté et de l’Immigration) c. Vavilov , 2019 CSC 65 , [2019] A.C.S. n o 65 (QL) , qui a introduit des changements dans le domaine du droit administratif au Canada. Récemment, le juge en chef Richard a examiné la norme de contrôle à appliquer dans les appels des décisions du Tribunal d’appel à la lumière de l’ arrêt Vavilov .
Dans l’affaire Longphee c. Commission de la santé, de la sécurité et de l’indemnisation des accidents au travail , 2020 NBCA 45 , [2020] A.N.-B. n o 157 (QL) , il déclare : Au fil des années, la norme de contrôle judiciaire applicable aux décisions des tribunaux administratifs a été formulée de plusieurs façons. La décision rendue récemment par la Cour suprême du Canada dans l’affaire Canada (Ministre de la Citoyenneté et de l’Immigration) c. Vavilov , 2019 CSC 65 , [2019] A.C.S. n o 65 (QL) , a apporté des précisions des plus nécessaires.
En somme, lorsqu’une cour examine le bien-fondé d’une décision administrative, il y a une présomption que la norme de contrôle applicable est celle de la décision raisonnable. Toutefois, cette présomption peut être réfutée. La réfutation se produit lorsque le législateur a indiqué qu’une norme différente doit être appliquée, que ce soit en légiférant en ce sens ou en prévoyant, dans une loi, un mécanisme d’appel s’appliquant à la décision en cause.
Dans le premier de ces deux cas, la norme applicable est celle prévue dans la loi, alors que dans le second, ce sont les normes de contrôle qui s’appliquent habituellement en appel. La présomption sera aussi réfutée lorsque la primauté du droit l’exige, c’est-à-dire « à l’égard de certains types de questions de droit : les questions constitutionnelles, les questions de droit générales d’une importance capitale pour le système juridique dans son ensemble, et les questions liées aux délimitations des compétences respectives d’organismes administratifs » (par. 53).
[…] À notre avis, l’ arrêt Vavilov ne modifie pas fondamentalement la démarche suivie par notre Cour lorsqu’elle aborde les appels interjetés contre les décisions du Tribunal d’appel, démarche qui a été énoncée dans l’arrêt VSL . Comme l’a expliqué le juge en chef Drapeau, on ne saurait dire d’une décision qui résulte d’une erreur de fait (ou d’une erreur mixte de droit et de fait) manifeste et dominante qu’elle a été prise en « juge[ant] strictement au fond [du] cas », comme l’exige la loi.
Vavilov nous donne tout simplement une occasion de normaliser le langage à employer dans les contrôles judiciaires d’appels interjetés à l’encontre de décisions du Tribunal d’appel. Les termes comme erreur importante et déraisonnabilité ne s’appliquent plus à ce genre d’affaires.
Les décisions du Tribunal d’appel qui soulèvent des questions de droit ou de compétence doivent être examinées par la Cour d’appel selon la norme de la décision correcte, tandis que les décisions qui soulèvent des questions de fait ou des questions mixtes de droit et de fait où aucune question de droit n’est facilement isolable seront examinées selon la norme de l’erreur manifeste et dominante pour que l’on puisse déterminer si la décision a été prise en « juge[ant] strictement au fond [du] cas ». [par. 15 et 18] B.
Questions soulevées en appel [13] M me Nesbitt affirme que le Tribunal d’appel : 1. n’aurait pas dû considérer de nouveau sa décision antérieure; 2. a inversé le fardeau de la preuve; 3. ne s’est pas demandé si ses lésions indemnisables contribuaient à son incapacité; 4. n’a pas interprété correctement le terme « incapacité »; 5. n’a pas rendu sa décision en toute justice et sur le bien-fondé de l’espèce. C. Reconsidération [14] Les alinéas 22.1(1)
a) et
b) de la Loi sur la Commission de la santé, de la sécurité et de l’indemnisation des accidents au travail et le Tribunal d’appel des accidents au travail, L.N.-B. 1994, ch. W-14 , prévoient ce qui suit :
22.1(1) The Appeals Tribunal may reconsider a decision, order or ruling it previously made or rescind, alter or amend the decision, order or ruling if it is satisfied that new evidence has become available or has been discovered that is substantial and material to the decision, order or ruling, and the evidence (
a) did not exist at the time of the hearing before the Appeals Tribunal, or (
b) did exist at that time but was not discovered and could not through the exercise of reasonable diligence have been discovered. 22.1(1) Le Tribunal d’appel peut considérer de nouveau toute décision ou ordonnance qu’il a rendue antérieurement ou annuler, changer ou modifier cette décision ou cette ordonnance s’il est convaincu que de nouveaux éléments de preuve sont maintenant disponibles ou ont été découverts et que ces éléments sont importants ou pertinents à la décision ou à l’ordonnance et, selon le cas :
a) n’existaient pas au moment où le Tribunal d’appel a tenu l’audience;
b) existaient à ce moment-là mais n’avaient pas été découverts et n’auraient pu l’être par l’exercice d’une diligence raisonnable. [15] Comme elle l’indique dans son mémoire, M me Nesbitt fait valoir que la décision frappée d’appel constitue une reconsidération de la décision que le Tribunal d’appel a rendue le 8 janvier 2018 : [TRADUCTION] Nous soutenons que Travail sécuritaire tente maintenant de fermer le dossier de l’appelante précisément sur le même fondement que celui sur lequel il avait tenté de fermer son dossier dans l’appel qui a été entendu par la présidente Salmon.
Nous soutenons qu’ainsi, cela revient à demander au Tribunal d’appel de considérer de nouveau sa décision antérieure. Nous soutenons que le rapport de la D re Forgeron ne constitue pas de nouveaux éléments de preuve. Il s’agit simplement d’un nouvel avis fondé sur son interprétation de sa constatation physique résultant de son examen de l’appelante. Il est clair que le médecin de famille de l’appelante, le D r Kabongo, avait un avis différent.
Nous soutenons également que, pour constituer de nouveaux éléments de preuve importants et pertinents, il aurait fallu que la D re Forgeron relève de nouveaux éléments de preuve étayant la conclusion selon laquelle l’appelante pouvait retourner au travail et fonctionner dans un milieu de travail concurrentiel. Le rapport de la D re Forgeron ne révèle pas de nouveaux éléments de preuve établissant que l’appelante peut retourner au travail et fonctionner dans un milieu de travail concurrentiel.
Il s’agit simplement d’un nouvel avis dans lequel elle estime que la lésion indemnisable de l’appelante ne saurait suffire à l’empêcher de retourner à son travail. La portée limitée de l’avis de la D re Forgeron signifie également qu’il n’est ni important ni pertinent. [16] Pour soutenir sa thèse, M me Nesbitt s’appuie sur l’arrêt Page c.
Commission de la santé, de la sécurité et de l’indemnisation des accidents au travail , 2006 NBCA 95 , 304 R.N.-B (2e) 128 , le juge d’appel Robertson, s’exprimant au nom de la majorité, et en particulier sur ce passage de cet arrêt : [...] Or, la seule preuve que la Commission a présentée était la lettre d’opinion de son expert, M. Comper, qui rejetait les conclusions d’un autre expert, M. Boulay, dont la preuve avait déjà été acceptée par le Tribunal d’appel dans la procédure précédente. Selon moi, cela ne constitue pas une nouvelle preuve au sens de l’article 22.
Autrement, les demandes d’indemnités sur lesquelles le Tribunal d’appel a déjà statué n’auraient jamais un caractère définitif. Il n’est pas très difficile de trouver un expert qui est disposé à contredire un de ses collègues. [...] [par. 74] [17] En revanche, selon la Commission, ce qui s’est passé ne constituait pas une reconsidération, mais plutôt [TRADUCTION] « une fonction de sa gestion continue de la réclamation ». Elle invoque l’autorité que lui confère le par. 34(2) de la Loi sur les accidents du travail : 34
(1) Except as provided in
section 42.3, the 34
(1) Sauf dans les cas prévus à l’article 42.3,
(1) Except as provided in
section 42.3, the Commission has exclusive jurisdiction to examine into, hear and determine all matters and questions arising under this Part and as to any matter or thing in respect to which any power, authority or discretion is conferred upon the Commission, and the action or decision of the Commission thereon shall be final and conclusive and shall not be open to question or review in any court, and no proceedings by or before the Commission shall be restrained by injunction or other process or proceeding in any court. 34
(2) Without thereby limiting the generality of the provisions of subsection (1), such exclusive jurisdiction extends to determining: (
a) the existence of, and degree of, disability by reason of any injury; (
b) the permanence of disability by reason of any injury; (
c) the amount of average earnings, average net earnings, loss of earnings, net family income and an amount for a permanent physical impairment arising out of an injury; (
d) the degree of diminution of earning capacity by reason of any injury; (
e) the existence of the relationship of « member of the family »; (
f) the existence of dependency; (
g) the character, for the purposes of this Act, of any industry, and the class to which such industry should be assigned; (
h) whether the employment of a person in an industry within the scope of this
Part is that of a worker, a sub-contractor or an independent contractor; 34
(1) Sauf dans les cas prévus à l’article 42.3, la Commission a compétence exclusive pour instruire, entendre et juger toutes les affaires et questions se rapportant à la présente
Partie et toute affaire ou chose à l’égard desquelles un pouvoir, une autorisation ou une discrétion est conférée à la Commission; l’action ou la décision de la Commission est alors définitive et péremptoire et n’est susceptible de contestation ou de révision devant aucun tribunal, et aucune procédure engagée par la Commission ou devant elle ne peut être entravée par injonction ou autre acte de procédure ou instance devant aucun tribunal. 34
(2) Sans que cela limite le caractère général des dispositions du paragraphe (1), cette compétence exclusive s’étend à la détermination :
a) de l’existence et du degré de l’incapacité due à une lésion;
b) de la permanence de l’incapacité due à une lésion;
c) du montant du salaire moyen, du salaire net moyen, de la perte de gains, du revenu familial net et d’un montant pour un affaiblissement physique du fait d’une lésion;
d) du degré de diminution de la capacité de gain due à une lésion;
e) de l’existence du lien de parenté de « membre de la famille »;
f) de l’existence de la dépendance de personne à charge;
g) de la nature, aux fins de la présente loi, d’une industrie, et de la catégorie à laquelle cette industrie devrait être rattachée;
h) de la question de savoir si l’emploi d’une personne dans une industrie entrant dans le champ d’application de cette
Partie est celui d’un travailleur, d’un sous-traitant ou d’un entrepreneur indépendant; h.1) de la question de savoir si l’employeur a rempli ses obligations envers un salarié comme le prévoit l’article 42.4;
(h.1) whether an employer has fulfilled its obligations to a worker under
section 42.4; (
i) whether personal injury or death has been caused by accident; (
j) whether an accident arose out of and in the course of an employment within the scope of this Act.
i) de la question de savoir si la lésion corporelle ou le décès ont été causés par accident;
j) de la question de savoir si l’accident est survenu du fait ou au cours d’un emploi entrant dans le champ d’application de la présente loi. [18] La Commission invoque en outre le par. 38.11(14) : 38.11(14) Compensation under this
section is payable until the earliest of the following events: (
a) the loss of earnings resulting from the injury by accident ceases; (
b) the worker attains the age of 65 years; (
c) the occurrence of a personal intervening condition not related to the injury by accident that has become the dominant cause of the worker’s inability to return to work or participate in rehabilitation; or (
d) the occurrence of any circumstance not related to the injury by accident that has become the dominant cause of the worker’s inability to return to work or participate in rehabilitation. 38.11
(14) L’indemnité prévue par le présent
article est versée au travailleur jusqu’à ce que se produise un des événements suivants :
a) sa perte de gains en raison de la lésion subie par suite d’un accident cesse;
b) il atteint l’âge de 65 ans;
c) une condition personnelle intervenante qui n’est pas liée à la lésion subie par suite d’un accident et qui est devenue la cause prédominante de son incapacité à retourner au travail ou à déployer des efforts pour sa réadaptation survient;
d) toute circonstance qui n’est pas liée à la lésion subie par suite d’un accident et qui est devenue la cause prédominante de son incapacité à retourner au travail ou à déployer des efforts pour sa réadaptation se présente. [19] Les circonstances relatives à la santé d’un individu sont fluides. Les lésions qui ont pu empêcher une personne de travailler dans le passé ne vont pas nécessairement l’empêcher indéfiniment de travailler ou peuvent ne pas continuer à être la « cause prédominante » de son incapacité de travailler.
La décision du législateur d’inclure les dispositions du par. 38.11(14) dans la Loi rend cette possibilité explicite. La Commission soutient qu’[TRADUCTION] « [u]ne décision fondée sur la preuve que la lésion subie au travail ne rend plus le travailleur incapable de travailler n’est pas une reconsidération ». Je suis du même avis. [20] Un commentaire s’impose à l’égard de l’ arrêt Page . Dans cette affaire, deux experts ont formulé des avis divergents sur la question de savoir si M. Page avait subi une lésion au travail. Comme l’explique le juge d’appel Robertson : En résumé, la lettre d’opinion de M.
Comper ne prétend pas que M. Page n’est plus frappé d’incapacité causée par une lésion liée au travail. Son rapport a pour objet de corroborer une conclusion : M. Page ne souffrait pas d’une lésion liée au travail.
[21] En l’espèce, la D re Forgeron ne contestait aucunement le fait que M me Nesbitt avait subi une lésion au travail en 2006. Il ne s’agissait pas d’un concours entre experts. La question était de savoir si M me Nesbitt continuait d’être frappée d’incapacité et d’être incapable de retourner au travail quelque 12 ans plus tard par suite de cette lésion. L’évaluation de la D re Forgeron portait sur l’état de M me Nesbitt au moment de l’examen et elle ne réévaluait ni ne contestait les conclusions auxquelles étaient parvenus les professionnels de la santé bien des années auparavant.
Quant à l’avis du médecin de famille de M me Nesbitt, le D r Kabongo, je reviendrai davantage plus loin sur son rapport. Pour l’instant, je ne soulignerai qu’une seule de ses déclarations, étant donné que M me Nesbitt affirme que le D r Kabongo [TRADUCTION] « avait un avis différent » de celui de la D re Forgeron. Il a écrit : [TRADUCTION] « Je souscris entièrement au rapport de la D re Forgeron .» [22] Sur ce premier moyen, je ne vois aucune erreur de la part du Tribunal d’appel. D.
Fardeau de la preuve [23] M me Nesbitt prétend que le Tribunal d’appel a inversé le fardeau de la preuve et fait remarquer ce qui suit. Au paragraphe 15 de la décision, il est affirmé notamment ce qui suit : [TRADUCTION] La D re Forgeron décrit également les symptômes actuels de l’appelante.
Nous citerons dans leur intégralité les conclusions dégagées par la D re Forgeron à l’issue de cette évaluation, car elles doivent être considérées au regard des éléments de preuve présentés par l’appelante à l’audition du présent appel : […] [24] Plus loin dans la décision, le Tribunal d’appel formule les observations et la conclusion suivantes : [TRADUCTION] Troisièmement, il appert au Tribunal que le témoignage de l’appelante à l’audition du présent appel est incompatible avec les symptômes signalés à la D re Forgeron au cours de cette évaluation.
En effet, la D re Forgeron se serait appuyée sur les réponses de l’appelante à ses différentes questions et sur sa description subjective de sa capacité fonctionnelle et de sa douleur. Tous ces propos sont détaillés dans l’évaluation de la D re Forgeron. À mon avis, l’appelante ne peut pas l’expliquer en suggérant simplement qu’elle a eu [TRADUCTION] « une bonne journée ». Il n’y a aucune raison pour laquelle la D re Forgeron aurait commis des erreurs en notant les plaintes subjectives de l’appelante, ses antécédents et son état actuel.
Si je ne doute pas que l’appelante souffre de douleurs chroniques (et la D re Forgeron ou le D r Kabongo non plus), la question qui se pose en appel est de savoir si elle est frappée d’incapacité ou non en raison de sa lésion indemnisable. La prépondérance des éléments de preuve se