2016 NBCA 21, 2016 NBCA 21
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D'APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK G.F. APPELLANT 52-15-CA G.F. APPELANTE - and - - et - J.A.C.F. RESPONDENT J.A.C.F. INTIMÉ G.F. v. J.A.C.F., 2016 NBCA 21 G.F. c.
J.A.C.F., 2016 NBCA 21 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice Green The Honourable Justice Baird CORAM : l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge Green l’honorable juge Baird Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: May 11, 2015 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : le 11 mai 2015 History of case: Decision under appeal: Unreported Preliminary or incidental proceedings: N/A Historique de la cause : Décision frappée d’appel : inédite Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : s.o.
Appeal heard: January 19, 2016 Judgment rendered: April 21, 2016 Reasons for judgment: The Honourable Justice Baird Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice Green Appel entendu : le 19 janvier 2016 Jugement rendu : le 21 avril 2016 Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge Baird Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge Green Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: Kimberly A. McCurdy J.A.C.F. on his own behalf Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appelante : Kimberly A.
McCurdy J.A.C.F. en son propre nom THE COURT The appeal is allowed and the order of the trial judge is set aside. The matter is remitted to a different judge of the Court of Queen’s Bench for a new hearing. LA COUR L’appel est accueilli et l’ordonnance du juge du procès est annulée. L’affaire est renvoyée à un autre juge de la Cour du Banc de la Reine en vue d’une nouvelle audience. The judgment of the Court was delivered by BAIRD, J.A.
I. Introduction and Background [ 1 ] Mrs. G.F. appeals a decision and subsequent corrigendum rendered by a judge of the Court of Queen’s Bench pursuant to the provisions of the Family Services Act , S.N.B. 1980, c. F-2.2, the Federal Child Support Guidelines , SOR-97/175, and the Spousal Support Advisory Guidelines ( Guidelines ) (prepared by Carol Rogerson and Rollie Thompson (Ottawa: Department of Justice Canada, 2008)) . Mr. J.A.C.F. agrees with the trial judge’s decision and he has filed neither a Notice of Contention, nor a Cross-Appeal. [ 2 ] The parties were married in 2004 and they separated in 2012.
There are two children of the marriage: A., born in 2005, and B., born in 2007. As the facts are largely undisputed, I borrow liberally from the trial judge’s reasons. Mrs. F. was employed sporadically as an esthetician throughout the marriage; however, her hours of work reduced significantly following the birth of their first child. The trial judge found that the parties agreed she would be a full-time caregiver to the children until they both entered the public school system. Mr. F.’s income was $83,589.25 per annum at the time of separation. Mrs.
F.’s annual income at that time was $6,074. [ 3 ] At the beginning of the two-day hearing in November 2014, counsel for Mrs.
F. advised the court the parties had reached an agreement concerning the current arrears of child support, as well as the division of marital property and the terms of the agreement were placed on the record. [ 4 ] The issues left for determination included the custody of the children, which is not contested in this appeal, prospective child support, including an assessment of expenses that would qualify for reimbursement pursuant to s. 7 of the Federal Child Support Guidelines , spousal support, both retroactively and prospectively, dental and medical coverage for Mrs.
F. and the children, and the manner in which to secure the support payments. [ 5 ] The trial judge rendered his decision in May 2015. A corrigendum was subsequently executed on July 8, 2015. Mrs. F. was ordered to solely bear all child care expenses she would incur should she return to the workforce. As this was a shared custody arrangement, for the purposes of assessing child support, the trial judge arbitrarily imputed income to Mrs. F. in the amount of $19,800 per annum, and he applied a straight “set-off”, using s. 9 of the Federal Child Support Guidelines as his rationale. He then imputed income to Mrs.
F. in the amount of $25,000 per annum when he calculated her spousal support pursuant to the Guidelines , with no explanation as to why he imputed two different levels of income to Mrs. F. The trial judge required Mrs. F. to provide “DivorceMate” calculations within ten days of the date of his decision. In the corrigendum, with the benefit of those calculations, the trial judge assessed spousal support at the low range, retroactive to June 1, 2013, to terminate in 48 months. The net effect of the trial judge’s retroactive order was an overpayment to Mrs.
F. of between $17,500 and $20,000; therefore, neither child support, nor spousal support has been paid since the date of the decision. Clearly, this was an unintended outcome. [ 6 ] Paragraph 19 of the trial judge’s order required Mr. F. to maintain “any existing” life or disability insurance policies he “may have on himself”, naming his wife beneficiary in trust for the benefit of the children. Although not raised as a ground of appeal, I pause here to refer to Milton v. Milton , 2008 NBCA 87 , 338 N.B.R. (2d) 300 , and Calvy v.
Calvy , 2015 NBCA 53 , 440 N.B.R. (2d) 85 , two decisions of this Court which caution trial judges against the arbitrary assignment of life insurance policies to secure support orders. In spite of the agreement, the trial judge ordered the parties to file detailed affidavits within 30 days of the date of the decision, in which they were to list the assets and debts they had “at the time of acquisition”, as well as “respective payments and supporting documentation”. Finally, Mrs. F. was ordered to pay $300 in costs, ostensibly to reimburse Mr.
F. for conduct money he had paid to his witnesses. [ 7 ] In her Notice of Appeal, Mrs. F. asserts the trial judge made significant errors in law. She submits when he assessed child support, he arbitrarily imputed income to her of $19,800 without having conducted the required analysis set out in s. 19 of the Federal Child Support Guidelines . The trial judge applied a straight set-off which is permitted pursuant to s. 9 (
a) of the Federal Child Support Guidelines ; however, he failed to conduct the comprehensive analysis required in ss. 9(
b) and (c). When he assessed spousal support, he imputed a different level of income to Mrs. F. than what he imputed to her for child support purposes. Further, she submits the trial judge erred when he ignored the terms of their agreement concerning arrears of child support and the division of marital property. In all, there were thirteen grounds of appeal advanced before us. II. Standard of Review [ 8 ] In Grant v. Grant , 2012 NBCA 101 , 397 N.B.R. (2d) 254 , the Court states the standard of review depends on the “nature of the issue”.
The standard of review depends on the nature of the issue. If the issue on appeal involves the application of an extricable legal principlesuch as the application of an incorrect standard or a failure to consider a required element of the legal test, the standard of review iscorrectness. If the issue on appeal involves the
interpretation of the evidence [as a] whole, the standard of review is palpable andoverriding error. (Housen v. Nickolaisen, 2002 SCC 33, [2002] 2 S.C.R. 235, para. 36). In H.L. v. Canada (Attorney General), 2005 SCC25, [2005] 1 S.C.R. 401, Fish J. explains: "Palpable and overriding error" is at once an elegant and expressive description of the entrenched and generally applicable standard ofappellate review of the findings of fact at trial. But it should not be thought to displace alternative formulations of the governingstandard.
In Housen, for example, the majority (at para. 22) and the minority (at para. 103) agreed that inferences of fact at trial may beset aside on appeal if they are "clearly wrong". Both expressions encapsulate the same principle: an appellate court will not interfere withthe trial judge's findings of fact unless it can plainly identify the imputed error, and that error is shown to have affected the result. [para.55] See, as well, Doiron v. Haché, 2005 NBCA 75, 290 N.B.R. (2d) 79, at para. 70[.] [para. 5] See also T.L. v. A.C., 2013 NBCA 24, 402 N.B.R. (2d) 373, at para. 6; D.L.M. v.
J.A.M., 2008 NBCA 2, 326 N.B.R. (2d) 111, at para.11; and R.S.L. v. S.I.L., 2013 NBCA 23, 402 N.B.R. (2d) 199, at para. 7. [9] This Court will intervene when there has been a material error in principle, a serious misapprehension of theevidence, an error of law, or the decision is clearly wrong. For the reasons that follow, I conclude there were errors of law and principle,and the decision is “clearly wrong” on several grounds, thus permitting this court to intervene. III. Analysis [10] Mrs.
F. asserts the trial judge erred in law when he imputed different levels of income to her for the purposesof assessing child support and spousal support. In D.L.M. v. J.A.M., the Court offers a succinct review of the jurisprudence with respectto the imputation of income. Pursuant to s. 19(1) of the Federal Child Support Guidelines, a court may impute such amount of income toa spouse “as it considers appropriate in the circumstances”, which includes a not necessarily exhaustive list of nine defined situations(paras. 30-37).
The analysis should reveal the trial judge not only considered and applied the criteria, but also inform on what “rationalbasis” the decision was made (see A.M.D. v. A.J.P., (ON CA), [2002] O.J. No. 3731 (C.A.) (QL); D.L.M. v. J.A.M.). [11] In the case at bar, the trial judge’s rational basis was articulated as follows: “I accept Mrs. F. should beattributed with an income that would be at least minimum wage, which, at this time is $10.30/hour or $19,800 (rounded up by $24) for a40-hour week and for 48 weeks per year” (para. 184). He then imputed income for Mrs.
F. of $19,800 when he assessed child support,and $25,000 when he assessed spousal support. Aside from the inadequacies in the imputation analysis, the decision cannot survive onthe basis the trial judge did not explain why he imputed two different levels of income to Mrs. F. for support purposes. [12]
Section 9 of the Federal Child Support Guidelines permits a court to assess child support by applying aspecific mathematical formula, and with considerable discretion, in those cases where one parent has the child/children in his or her carefor more than 40% of the time. In this case, the parents have a shared custody arrangement; however, the evidence before the trial judgewas that Mrs. F. paid most of the children’s day to day expenses, including ballet lessons, clothing and supplies, and other expenses forwhich her husband did not contribute.
The trial judge acknowledged he was obliged to conduct the analysis set out by the Supreme Courtin Contino v. Leonelli-Contino, 2005 SCC 63, [2005] 3 S.C.R. 217 (para. 161). He assessed child support as a straight set-off, using Mrs.F.’s imputed income, and Mr. F.’s T-4 income information from the previous year. This Court has stated that child support should beassessed on the basis of current income figures (see M.K.R. v. J.A.R., 2015 NBCA 73, [2015] N.B.J. No. 287 (QL)). There was noexplanation why Mr. F.’s income for 2015 was not considered. The trial judge referred to ss. 9(
b) and (
c) of the Federal Child SupportGuidelines; however, he concluded: “I see no increased costs for either party in dealing with this joint custody arrangement” (para. 175);thus, the mandatory criteria set out in ss. 9 (
b) and (
c) were not considered and this constitutes an error in law (see Woodford v.MacDonald, 2014 NSCA 31, [2014] N.S.J. No. 146 (QL); Conway v. Conway, 2011 ABCA 137, [2011] A.J. No. 481 (QL)). [13] Julien D. and Marilyn A. Payne in their text, Child Support Guidelines in Canada, 2015 (Toronto: Irwin Law,2015) state: The language of
section 9 is imperative in that its provisions are to be applied if the 40 percent criterion is satisfied. A court has no
discretion to depart from the 40 percent minimum threshold, although a discretion exists with respect to the quantification of child support under sections 9(a), (b), and (
c) of the Guidelines. These criteria are conjunctive; they must all be considered . [page 308] [Emphasis added.] See also Payne, Julien D. and Marilyn A., Canadian Family Law , 6th ed. (Toronto: Irwin Law, 2015) pp. 411-412. [ 14 ] When there is a shared custody arrangement, ss. 9 (
b) and (
c) of the Federal Child Support Guidelines require the trial judge to consider the budgets of the respective parties, the incomes of new partners, to review s. 7 expenses, to compare the households’ standards of living, and other financial information that permits for a meaningful analysis. The straight set-off contemplated in s. 9 of the Federal Child Support Guidelines is the “starting point” as the Supreme Court states in Contino .
Where the decision has been made on limited, or no financial disclosure, appellate intervention is warranted and the case will be remitted for a new hearing, as stated in Conway . [ 15 ] I now turn to the arrears, and the agreement concerning the division of property. The parties reached an all- inclusive agreement concerning the division of their assets and the amount of current child support arrears that were outstanding. As noted, the agreement was placed on the record. Following, are excerpts from the transcript: MS. [M.]: Mr.
Justice, there was some discussion this morning so we did form some very minor resolutions but resolutions at that. So this is primarily under the marital property division or application. Mr. [F.] can correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t know that there would be any marital property after I say what I’m about to say. […] MS. [M.]: So there will be no claim for reimbursement and at the Tab #12, that is the current statement on arrears.
Mr. [F.] has agreed that the current arrears of support, not talking about retroactive arrears prior to the support order being issued, but current arrears of support will be reduced by $2,500.
And by my mathematics that would make current arrears outstanding in the amount of $2,639. […] MS. [M.]: And the parties have agreed that the current arrears are $2,639. […] MS. [M.]: […] The applicant seeks retroactive child and spousal support to date of separation, offsetting some household expenses where appropriate as against those obligations based upon Mr. [F.]’s 2012 tax return to the date the first court order was made effective October 1, 2013. […]. […] MS. [M.]: With respect to the balance of the marital property claim, there – Mr. [F.] has filed for bankruptcy although there is some marital debt that is left with Mrs. [F.] that won’t be addressed as an issue of marital debt because the bankruptcy.
So there are no other Marital Property Act applications that would be appropriate. […] […] THE COURT: Mmm hmm. And I now have at least your position on the issues that are outstanding. Mr. [F.] do you have any challenge
to any of those? MR. [F.]: I believe she summarized it. [ 16 ] The trial judge did not question the terms of the settlement, and he acknowledged it in his reasons; however, the agreement with respect to the division of marital property was disregarded with no explanation. This constitutes an error in principle ( see R.S.L. v. S.I.L. ) .
The trial judge ordered: “Within 30 days of this decision, each party shall file affidavits outlining the original amount of each asset together with the actual amount of any debt at the time of acquisition, the payments made upon the assets and towards the debts, and an indication as to which of the parties paid or arranged payment for the outstanding accounts together with such documentation as is available to support his/her position” (para. 241). I conclude the trial judge erred when he required the parties to file detailed affidavits within 30 days of his decision.
It is clear those issues had been resolved and the order was redundant ( s ee Bourque v. Bourque , 2004 NBCA 60 , 274 N.B.R. (2d) 72 , at para. 17 ). [ 17 ] As previously discussed, current outstanding arrears of child support were agreed; however, with respect to retroactive and prospective child support, the trial judge’s assessment was based on income the trial judge imputed to Mrs. F. (para. 186).
As I have concluded the trial judge’s imputation analysis was flawed, the retroactive and the prospective calculations concerning both child and spousal support are tainted, and they cannot stand. [ 18 ] The trial judge ordered Mrs. F. to be solely responsible for the child care costs she would incur on her return to the workforce (para. 160). The trial judge’s order in this regard is not consistent with the directives set out in s. 7 of the Federal Child Support Guidelines which provide for a proportionate sharing of net child care expenses incurred as a result of employment. Thus, I conclude requiring Mrs.
F. to exclusively pay for her child care costs was an error in law. [ 19 ] With respect to household income and the household standards of living, the trial judge noted that although Mr. F. did not provide evidence with respect to the financial contributions he receives from his new partner, Mrs. F.’s partner provided evidence concerning the financial contributions he was making to her household. At this point, the trial judge could have adjourned the hearing for another day in order to have further financial information prior to making his order. Instead, he proceeded to impute income to Mrs.
F. in the amount of $25,000 per annum, with no explanation, and he calculated her spousal support on that basis. [ 20 ] Mrs. F. asserts the trial judge erred when he conducted his analysis of her entitlement to spousal support. I agree. See D.L.M. v. J.A.M . and Boudreau v. Brun , 2005 NBCA 106 , 293 N.B.R. (2d) 126 , at para. 10 . The spousal support order was time limited to 48 months, with no analysis as to whether the facts of this case warranted a time limited order, or whether to do so was a deviation from the Guidelines ( see MacLean v. MacLean , 2004 NBCA 75 , 274 N.B.R. (2d) 90 ; S.C. v.
J.C. , 2006 NBCA 46 , 299 N.B.R. (2d) 334 , at paras. 14-15 ; and Smith v. Smith , 2011 NBCA 66 , 375 N.B.R. (2d) 208 , at paras. 34-46 on the use of the Guidelines ). [ 21 ] Finally, the respondent was ordered to adjust his income tax returns for the taxation years 2013 and 2014 in order to conform to the decision. This is an unenforceable order, and it is a matter between Mr. F. and the Canada Revenue Agency. The trial judge lacked jurisdiction to make such an order. IV.
Disposition [ 22 ] In the following decisions, matters have been remitted to the Court of Queen’s Bench for a proper determination of issues found meritorious on appeal: D.L.M . v. J.A.M. ; Pavecare Industries
(1989) Ltd. et al. v. Blue Chip Investments In c. et al. , 2000 NBCA 38 , 230 N.B.R. (2d) 375 ; S.L.B. v. P.J.O ., 2013 NBCA 52 , 408 N.B.R. (2d) 235 ; Grant v. Grant . [ 23 ] T he parties have been separated since 2012. They were before the Court of Queen’s Bench for a two-day hearing in 2014. A decision was rendered in May 2015. They have now appeared before this Court. I regret they will be required to appear, yet again, before a Court of Queen’s Bench judge to achieve a resolution; however, the result is unavoidable.
Unfortunately, this is not a case where use of Rule 1.02.1 of the Rules of Court (proportionality), is appropriate given the number of issues to be determined (see J.H. v. T.H. , 2014 NBCA 52 , 422 N.B.R. (2d) 388 ; Leger v. G & G Carnival Amusements Inc. et al. , 2015 NBCA 20 , 434 N.B.R. (2d) 186 , at para. 19 ). [ 24 ] For the above reasons, I would allow the appeal. I would set aside the decision of the trial judge and remit this
matter to a different judge of the Court of Queen’s Bench. [25] I would be remiss if I did not address comments made by the trial judge in support of his decision to imputeincome to Mrs. G.F.
These comments were raised by the appellant in her submission, and we were specifically asked to address them.The following statements from the reasons were identified as being “offensive”: 1) Paragraph 220: “It is not as admirable a trait when, as I find here, her [primarily] purpose was to remain a stay-at-home mother, atthe expense of her husband”; 2) Paragraph 221: “Currently, [G.F.] cares for a few clients per month [at] home […].
This cannot be considered employment; 3) Paragraph 222: “[G.F.] admits she doesn’t really want a job”, (reference for which cannot be found in the Transcript), and “it is avicious circle she has created”; 4) Paragraph 224: “[…] [G.F.]’s unilateral decision to remain outside the workforce should not be held against [J.A.C.F.] She wantedto stay home. [J.A.C.F.] should not be penalized for her voluntary assumption of the role of a stay-at-home parent”; 5) Paragraph 227: “With Mr. B.’s assistance, [G.F.] can avoid employment while maintaining a lifestyle that is otherwise beyond hermeans.
There is certainly nothing wrong with this as a conscious choice between [G.F.] and Mr. B. If they wish to have her stay at home,she should be able to stay at home. However, it is not fair to make [J.A.C.F.] pay the equivalent in spousal support that he would havemade to permit her to continue avoiding meaningful employment”. [26] The trial judge made the following findings in his reasons: [G.F.]’s claim is for support on a compensatory basis. For the greatest part of the marriage, she has been a stay at home mother with thechildren while [J.A.C.F.] went to work.
Her employment during the period of their marriage was, consistently below minimum wage.Both before and after the children were born, she did some work as an aesthetician in her father’s hair salon. She never worked fulltimehours. For some period […] her employment was subsidized by her father. [G.F.] did provide the bulk of the childcare during [the] workday. She says that she provided the meals and did the cleaning during theweek. In many respects this was the traditional marriage arrangement she described for her mother.
Throughout this 8-year marriage [J.A.C.F.] was the substantial breadwinner. [paras. 206-208] [27] The trial judge referred to the text Spousal Support in Canada, 2nd Ed. (Toronto: Carswell, 2013), in whichthe authors, Ann C. Wilton and Noel Semple, discuss a Law Commission Report filed in 1975 on the issue of “need” for spousal supportgrounded in “‘…the economic damage caused by the division of labour in the marriage, and the cost to repair this damage’”. Both thejurisprudence and the substantive law have changed since 1975. The Supreme Court in Moge v. Moge, (SCC), [1992] 3S.C.R. 813, [1992] S.C.J.
No. 107 (QL), establishes the framework for the analysis in spousal support claims. This framework is furtherrefined in Bracklow v. Bracklow, (SCC), [1999] 1 S.C.R. 420, [1999] S.C.J. No. 14 (QL), and in Hickey v. Hickey, (SCC), [1999] 2 S.C.R. 518, [1999] S.C.J. No. 9 (QL), and offers the foundation for the compensatory rationaleexpressed in the Guidelines. [28] In Moge, L’Heureux-Dubé J. specifically refers to the economic consequences experienced by parents wholeave the workforce to remain at home as care givers to their children.
She acknowledges it is women who have “tended” to suffer theeconomic disadvantages and hardships from marriage or its breakdown, due to the traditional division of labour within that institution. Adiminished earning capacity resulting from long interruptions in employment to take on domestic and parenting responsibilities isrecognized. The Supreme Court acknowledges there are often difficulties in returning to the workforce, or staying in the workforce, dueto the continuing obligations associated with child rearing (Wilton and Semple, at page 155).
[ 29 ] The trial judge accepted Mr. F.’s testimony “they” agreed Mrs. F. would remain at home to care for the children until they reached school age, and at that point, it was intended she would gradually return to full time work (para. 217). There was evidence Mrs. F. had “at least one job that disappeared because she had to put her children first” (para. 220). [ 30 ] In spite of his acknowledgment the parties agreed Mrs. F. would remain at home to care for the children until they reached school age, the trial judge minimized the effect this decision had on her ability to return to the workforce.
These value judgments, as noted, are contrary to evolved jurisprudence. This is not to say a trial judge should limit his or her analysis; however, the analysis must offer an objective assessment of the statutory criteria, the jurisprudence, and the Guidelines . V. Costs [ 31 ] As I would conclude Mrs. F. has been successful on this appeal, I would award her costs of $2,500. ______________________________ BARBARA L. BAIRD, J.A. WE CONCUR: ___________________________ KATHLEEN A. QUIGG, J.A. ___________________________ BRADLEY V. GREEN, J.A. Version française de la décision rendue par La juge Baird I.
Introduction et contexte [1] M me G.F. interjette appel de la décision et du rectificatif subséquent rendus par un juge de la Cour du Banc de la Reine conformément aux dispositions de la
Loi sur les services à la famille , L.N.-B. 1980, ch. F-2.2, des Lignes directrices fédérales sur les sur les pensions alimentaires pour enfants , DORS/97-175 , et des Lignes directrices facultatives en matière de pensions alimentaires pour époux (les Lignes directrices ) (préparées par Carol Rogerson et Rollie Thompson (Ottawa : ministère de la Justice du Canada, 2008)) . M. J.A.C.F. souscrit à la décision du juge du procès et il n’a ni déposé un avis de désaccord ni formé un appel
reconventionnel. [2] Les parties se sont mariées en 2004 et elles se sont séparées en 2012. Il y a deux enfants à charge : A., né en 2005, et B., née en 2007. Puisque les faits sont en grande
partie incontestés, je m’inspire librement des motifs du juge du procès. M me F. a sporadiquement travaillé comme esthéticienne pendant toute la durée du mariage, mais ses heures de travail ont été sensiblement réduites après la naissance de leur premier enfant. Le juge du procès a conclu que les parties étaient convenues qu’elle prendrait soin des enfants à temps plein jusqu’à ce qu’ils fréquentent tous les deux les écoles publiques. Le revenu annuel de M. F. était de 83 589,25 $ au moment de la séparation.
Le revenu annuel de M me F. était, à ce moment-là, de 6 074 $. [3] Au début de l’audience qui a duré deux jours, en novembre 2014, l’avocate de M me F. a informé la Cour que les parties étaient arrivées à une entente concernant le montant actuel de l’arriéré des aliments au profit des enfants ainsi que la répartition des biens matrimoniaux et les clauses de l’entente ont été versées au dossier. [4] Les questions qu’il restait à trancher comprenaient notamment la garde des enfants, laquelle n’est pas contestée dans le cadre du présent appel, la pension à verser au profit des enfants pour l’avenir, y compris une évaluation des dépenses susceptibles d’être remboursées en vertu de l’ art. 7 des Lignes directrices fédérales sur les pensions alimentaires pour enfants , les aliments au profit de l’épouse, tant rétroactifs que pour l’avenir, l’assurance des soins dentaires et médicaux de M me F. et des enfants ainsi que la façon de garantir le versement des aliments. [5] Le juge du procès a rendu sa décision en mai 2015.
Un rectificatif a par la suite été signé le 8 juillet 2015 . Il a été ordonné que M me F. supporterait seule l’ensemble des frais de garde des enfants pour le cas où elle réintégrerait le marché du travail. Puisqu’il s’agissait d’une entente de garde partagée, aux fins de l’évaluation des aliments au profit des enfants, le juge du procès a arbitrairement attribué à M me F. un revenu de 19 800 $ par année et il a utilisé une méthode de « compensation » simple, s’appuyant à cette fin sur l’ art. 9 des Lignes directrices fédérales sur les pensions alimentaires pour enfants .
Il a ensuite attribué à M me F. un revenu de 25 000 $ par année lorsqu’il a calculé les aliments à son profit conformément aux Lignes directrices , sans expliquer pourquoi il lui attribuait deux revenus différents. Il a ordonné à M me F. de produire des calculs effectués au moyen du logiciel DivorceMate dans les dix jours de sa décision. Dans le rectificatif, à la lumière de ces calculs, le juge du procès a accordé à l’épouse des aliments se situant dans l’échelle inférieure, avec effet rétroactif au 1 er juin 2013, qui devaient prendre fin 48 mois plus tard.
L’ordonnance rétroactive du juge du procès s’est traduite, au final, par un trop-payé se situant entre 17 500 $ et 20 000 $ en faveur de M me F.; par conséquent, aucuns aliments au profit des enfants ni aucuns aliments au profit de l’épouse n’ont été versés depuis la date de la décision. Il s’agit là, à l’évidence, d’un résultat qui n’était pas voulu. [6] Aux termes du paragraphe 19 de l’ordonnance du juge du procès, M.
F. devait maintenir en vigueur les polices d’assurance-vie ou d’assurance-invalidité [TRADUCTION] « existantes » qu’il pouvait avoir contractées pour lui- même et désigner son épouse comme la bénéficiaire fiduciaire, au profit des enfants. Bien que cela n’ait pas été invoqué comme moyen d’appel, je marque une pause pour me reporter aux arrêts Milton c. Milton , 2008 NBCA 87 , 338 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 300 , et Calvy c.
Calvy , 2015 NBCA 53 , 440 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 85 , deux décisions de notre Cour qui mettent le juge du procès en garde contre la cession arbitraire des polices d’assurance-vie pour garantir le respect des ordonnances alimentaires.
Malgré l’entente intervenue, le juge du procès a ordonné aux parties de déposer, dans les 30 jours de la décision, des affidavits détaillés dans lesquels elles devaient dresser la liste des éléments d’actif et des dettes qu’elles avaient [TRADUCTION] « au moment de l’acquisition » ainsi que [TRADUCTION] « de leurs paiements respectifs et des pièces justificatives ». Finalement, M me F. a été condamnée à verser des dépens de 300 $, dans le but manifeste de rembourser à M.
F. les frais de déplacement qu’il avait dû payer à ses témoins . [7] Dans son avis d’appel, M me F. prétend que le juge du procès a commis d’importantes erreurs de droit. Elle fait valoir que lorsqu’il a évalué les aliments au profit des enfants, il lui a arbitrairement attribué un revenu de 19 800 $ sans avoir effectué l’analyse prescrite à l’ art. 19 des Lignes directrices fédérales sur les pensions alimentaires pour enfants .
Le juge du procès a utilisé la méthode de la compensation simple, ce qui est permis en application de l’ al. 9a) des Lignes directrices fédérales sur les pensions alimentaires pour enfants ; toutefois, il n’a pas effectué l’analyse exhaustive qui est prescrite aux al. 9b) et c). Lorsqu’il a évalué les aliments à son profit, il a attribué à M me F. un revenu différent de celui qu’il lui a attribué aux fins des aliments au profit des enfants.
De plus, elle fait valoir que le juge du procès a commis une erreur en passant outre aux clauses de l’entente intervenue entre les parties concernant l’arriéré des aliments au profit des enfants et la répartition des biens matrimoniaux. En tout, treize moyens d’appel ont été formulés devant nous. II. Norme de contrôle
[8] Dans l’arrêt Grant c. Grant, 2012 NBCA 101, 397 R.N.-B. (2e) 254, la Cour a dit que lanorme de contrôle dépend de la « nature de la question en litige ». La norme de contrôle dépend de la nature de la question en litige. Si la question à trancher en appel fait intervenir l’application d’unprincipe juridique isolable – application d’une norme incorrecte, omission de tenir compte d’un élément essentiel d’un critère juridique –,la norme de contrôle est celle de la justesse de la décision, appelée norme de la décision correcte.
Si la question à trancher en appeltouche l’interprétation de l’ensemble de la preuve, la norme de contrôle est celle de l’erreur manifeste et dominante (Housen c.Nickolaisen, 2002 CSC 33, [2002] 2 R.C.S. 235, par. 36). Dans H.L. c. Canada (Procureur général), 2005 CSC 25, [2005] 1 R.C.S. 401,le juge Fish a expliqué ce qui suit : L’expression « erreur manifeste et dominante » décrit de manière à la fois élégante et colorée la norme bien établie et généralementapplicable en appel à l’égard d’une conclusion de fait tirée lors du procès. Elle ne supplante cependant pas les autres formulations de lanorme applicable.
Par exemple, dans l’arrêt Housen, les juges majoritaires (au par. 22) et les juges minoritaires (au par. 103) ont convenuque les inférences de fait « manifestement erronée[s] » tirées au procès pouvaient être annulées en appel. Les deux expressionsconsacrent le même principe : une cour d’appel modifiera les conclusions de fait du juge de première instance seulement si elle peutrelever clairement l’erreur alléguée et s’il est établi que cette erreur a joué dans la décision. [par. 55] On pourra se reporter, également, au par. 70 [de l’arrêt] Doiron c.
Haché, 2005 NBCA 75, 290 R.N.-B. (2e) 79. [par. 5] Voir aussi les arrêts T.L. c. A.C., 2013 NBCA 24, 402 R.N.-B. (2e) 373, au par. 6; D.L.M. c. J.A.M., 2008 NBCA 2, 326 R.N.-B. (2e) 111, au par. 11; et R.S.L. c. S.I.L., 2013 NBCA 23, 402 R.N.-B. (2e) 199, au par. 7. [9] Notre Cour interviendra en présence d’une erreur de principe importante, d’une erreursignificative dans l’interprétation de la preuve, d’une erreur de droit ou d’une décision qui est manifestement erronée.
Pour les motifs quisuivent, je conclus que des erreurs de droit et de principe ont été commises et que la décision est « manifestement erronée » pourplusieurs raisons, de sorte que notre Cour est fondée à intervenir. III. Analyse [10] Mme F. prétend que le juge du procès a commis une erreur de droit lorsqu’il lui a attribué desrevenus différents aux fins de l’évaluation des aliments au profit des enfants et des aliments à son profit. Dans l’arrêt D.L.M. c. J.A.M., laCour a effectué un examen succinct de la jurisprudence relative à l’attribution d’un revenu.
Conformément au par. 19(1) des Lignesdirectrices fédérales sur les pensions alimentaires pour enfants, le tribunal peut attribuer à l’époux le montant de revenu « qu’il jugeindiqué », notamment dans neuf situations précises qui ne constituent pas nécessairement une liste exhaustive (par. 30 à 37). L’analysedevrait non seulement révéler que le juge du procès a examiné et appliqué les critères énoncés mais aussi sur quel [TRADUCTION]« fondement rationnel » repose sa décision (voir les arrêts A.M.D. c. A.J.P., (ON CA), [2002] O.J. No. 3731 (C.A.)(QL), et D.L.M. c.
J.A.M.). [11] En l’espèce, le fondement rationnel sur lequel le juge du procès s’est appuyé a été énoncé ainsi : [TRADUCTION] « Je reconnais qu’il y a lieu d’attribuer à Mme F. un revenu qui serait à tout le moins calculé en fonction du salaireminimum, lequel, à l’heure actuelle, est de 10,30 $ l’heure ou de 19 800 $ (arrondi à 24 $ prè
s) pour une semaine de 40 heures et pour 48 semaines par année » (par. 184). Il a ensuite attribué à Mme F. un revenu de 19 800 $ lorsqu’il a évalué les aliments au profit des enfantset de 25 000 $ lorsqu’il a évalué les aliments à son profit.
Outre les inexactitudes que révèle l’analyse de l’attribution d’un revenu, ladécision ne saurait survivre en raison du fait que le juge du procès n’a pas expliqué pourquoi il a attribué deux revenus différents à Mme F. aux fins de l’ordonnance alimentaire. [12] L’article 9 des Lignes directrices fédérales sur les pensions alimentaires pour enfants autorisela Cour à évaluer le montant des aliments au profit des enfants au moyen d’une formule mathématique bien précise, et lui accorde à cettefin un pouvoir discrétionnaire considérable, dans les cas où un parent a la charge de l’enfant ou des enfants pendant plus de 40 % dutemps.
En l’espèce, les parents ont conclu une entente de garde partagée; selon la preuve produite devant le juge du procès, toutefois, c’est Mme F. qui assumait la plupart des dépenses quotidiennes des enfants, y compris les cours de ballet, les vêtements et lesfournitures, ainsi que d’autres frais auxquels son mari ne contribuait pas. Le juge du procès a reconnu qu’il avait l’obligation d’effectuerl’analyse que la Cour suprême a prescrite dans l’arrêt Contino c. Leonelli-Contino, 2005 CSC 63, [2005] 3 R.C.S. 217 (par. 161).
Il aévalué les aliments au profit des enfants au moyen de la méthode de la compensation simple en se fondant sur le revenu attribué à
M me F. ainsi que sur les renseignements figurant sur le formulaire T4 de M. F. pour l’année précédente. Notre Cour a précisé que le montant des aliments pour enfants doit être déterminé au moyen du revenu de l’année en cours (voir l’arrêt M.K.R. c. J.A.R. , 2015 NBCA 73 , [2015] A.N.-B. n o 287 (QL) ). Le juge du procès n’a pas expliqué pourquoi il n’a pas pris en compte le revenu de M. F. pour l’année 2015. Il a mentionné les alinéas 9b) et
c) des Lignes directrices fédérales sur les pensions alimentaires pour enfants , mais il en est arrivé à la conclusion suivante : [TRADUCTION] « Il n’y a, à mon sens, pas de coûts plus élevés que supporterait l’une ou l’autre
partie du fait de cette entente de garde partagée » (par. 175). Les critères obligatoires énoncés aux al. 9b) et
c) n’ont donc pas été pris en considération et cela constitue une erreur de droit (voir les arrêts Woodford c. MacDonald , 2014 NSCA 31 , [2014] N.S.J. No. 146 (QL) ; et Conway c. Conway , 2011 ABCA 137 , [2011] A.J. No. 481 (QL) ). [13] Dans leur ouvrage intitulé Child Support Guidelines in Canada , 2015 (Toronto : Irwin Law, 2015), Julien D. et Marilyn A. Payne disent ce qui suit : [TRADUCTION] Le libellé de l’article 9 a un caractère impératif en ce sens que ses dispositions doivent être appliquées si l’on satisfait au critère du 40 pour cent.
La Cour n’a pas le pouvoir discrétionnaire de s’écarter du seuil minimum de 40 pour cent, bien qu’elle dispose d’un pouvoir discrétionnaire en ce qui concerne la détermination du montant de la pension alimentaire pour enfants en vertu des al. 9a),
b) et
c) des Lignes directrices . Ces critères sont cumulatifs; ils doivent tous être pris en considération . [p. 308] [Je souligne.] Voir aussi l’ouvrage de Payne, Julien D. et Marilyn A., intitulé Canadian Family Law , 6 e éd. (Toronto : Irwin Law, 2015), p. 411 et 412. [14] Lorsqu’il existe une entente de garde partagée, les al. 9b) et
c) des Lignes directrices fédérales sur les pensions alimentaires pour enfants prescrivent que le juge du procès doit tenir compte des budgets respectifs des parties et du revenu d’éventuels nouveaux conjoints, prendre en considération les dépenses mentionnées à l’ art. 7 , comparer le niveau de vie des deux ménages et examiner les autres renseignements financiers qui permettent une analyse valable. La compensation simple qui est envisagée à l’ art. 9 des Lignes directrices fédérales sur les pensions alimentaires pour enfants est le « point de départ » comme l’a dit la Cour suprême dans l’arrêt Contino .
Lorsque la décision a été prise sur la base d’une divulgation de renseignements financiers limitée ou sans aucune divulgation de renseignements financiers, l’intervention de la cour d’appel est justifiée et l’affaire sera renvoyée en vue d’une nouvelle audience comme l’a dit la Cour dans l’arrêt Conway . [15] J’examinerai maintenant la question de l’arriéré ainsi que l’entente concernant la répartition des biens. Les parties ont conclu une entente globale concernant la répartition de leurs biens et le montant de l’arriéré des aliments au profit des enfants qui était impayé.
Comme nous l’avons souligné, cette entente a été versée au dossier. Voici quelques extraits de la transcription : [TRADUCTION] M e [M.] : Monsieur le juge, certaines discussions ont eu lieu ce matin de sorte que nous en sommes arrivés à résoudre quelques problèmes très mineurs, mais qui ont néanmoins été résolus. Donc, cela concerne principalement la répartition des biens matrimoniaux ou la demande de répartition.
M. [F.] pourra me corriger si je fais erreur, mais je ne crois pas qu’il y aura des biens matrimoniaux [à répartir] après que j’aurai dit ce que je m’apprête à dire. […] M e [M.] : Donc, il n’y aura pas de demande de remboursement et à l’onglet 12, c’est là que figure le relevé à jour de l’arriéré. M. [F.] a accepté que le montant actuel de l’arriéré des aliments, il ne s’agit pas de l’arriéré rétroactif qui existait avant que l’ordonnance alimentaire soit rendue, mais de l’arriéré actuel, soit réduit de 2 500 $ .
Et selon mes calculs, cela ramènerait le montant actuel de l’arriéré exigible à 2 639 $. […] M e [M.] : Et les parties se sont entendues sur le fait que l’arriéré actuel s’établit à 2 639 $.
[…] M e [M.] : […] La requérante sollicite des aliments rétroactifs au profit des enfants et à son profit à compter de la date de la séparation, certaines dépenses du ménage étant portées en déduction, s’il y a lieu, des obligations découlant de la déclaration de revenus de M. [F.] pour l’année 2012 à compter de la date à laquelle la première ordonnance de la Cour est entrée en vigueur, savoir le 1 er octobre 2013. […]. […] M e [M.] : En ce qui concerne le reste de la demande relative aux biens matrimoniaux, il y a – M. [F.] a déposé une cession de faillite bien qu’il y ait une dette matrimoniale qui incombe à M me [F.] mais qui ne sera pas examinée comme dette matrimoniale en raison de la faillite.
Il n’y a donc aucune autre demande en application de la
Loi sur les biens matrimoniaux qui serait indiquée. […] […] LA COUR : Mmm hmm. Et maintenant, je connais au moins votre position sur les questions qui ne sont pas réglées. M. [F.], voulez- vous contester l’une quelconque de ces affirmations? M. [F.] : Je crois qu’elle a bien résumé le tout. [16] Le juge du procès n’a pas mis en doute les conditions du règlement amiable et il en a pris acte dans ses motifs; toutefois, l’entente concernant la répartition des biens matrimoniaux a été écartée sans aucune explication. Cela constitue une erreur de principe (voir l’arrêt R.S.L. c. S.I.L. ) . Le juge du procès a ordonné ce qui suit : [TRADUCTION] « Dans les 30 jours de la présente décision, chaque
partie déposera des affidavits faisant état de la valeur initiale de chaque élément d’actif ainsi que du montant réel de la dette qui a pu être contractée au moment de son acquisition, faisant état des versements effectués au
titre des éléments d’actif et en remboursement des dettes et indiquant laquelle des parties a payé ou a pris des mesures afin que soient payés les comptes non réglés, accompagnés des documents disponibles susceptibles d’étayer sa position » (par. 241). Je conclus que le juge du procès a commis une erreur lorsqu’il a exigé que les parties déposent des affidavits détaillés dans les 30 jours de sa décision . Il est clair que ces questions avaient été réglées et l’ordonnance était redondante (voir l’arrêt Bourque c.
Bourque , 2004 NBCA 60 , 274 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 72 , au par. 17 ). [17] Comme nous l’avons vu, les parties se sont entendues sur le montant actuel de l’arriéré des aliments au profit des enfants qui est exigible; toutefois, en ce qui concerne la pension alimentaire rétroactive et pour l’avenir au profit des enfants, l’évaluation du juge du procès était fondée sur le revenu qu’il a attribué à M me F. (par. 186).
Puisque j’ai conclu que l’analyse du juge relativement à l’attribution d’un revenu était défectueuse, les calculs des montants des pensions alimentaires rétroactives et pour l’avenir au profit des enfants et au profit de l’épouse sont viciés et ils ne peuvent être confirmés. [18] Le juge du procès a conclu que M me F. devrait supporter seule les frais de garde des enfants qu’elle devrait engager pour le cas où elle réintégrerait le marché du travail (par. 160).
L’ordonnance du juge du procès à cet égard n’est pas compatible avec les directives énoncées à l’ art. 7 des Lignes directrices fédérales sur les pensions alimentaires pour enfants , lesquelles prévoient le partage proportionnel du montant net des frais de garde des enfants engagés pour permettre à un parent d’occuper un emploi. Par conséquent, je conclus que le fait de contraindre M me F. à acquitter seule les frais de garde a constitué une erreur de droit. [19] En ce qui concerne le revenu des ménages et leur niveau de vie, le juge du procès a souligné que bien que M.
F. n’ait pas déposé de preuves relativement à la contribution financière qu’il reçoit de sa nouvelle conjointe, le conjoint de M me F. avait déposé des preuves concernant sa contribution financière au ménage de M me F. À ce moment-là, le juge du procès aurait pu ajourner l’audience et la reporter à un autre jour afin d’obtenir de plus amples renseignements financiers avant de rendre son ordonnance. Il a plutôt entrepris d’attribuer à M me F. un revenu de 25 000 $ par année, sans aucune explication, et il a calculé les aliments à verser à son profit en fonction de ce revenu.
[20] M me F. fait valoir que le juge du procès a commis une erreur lorsqu’il a effectué l’analyse de son droit à une pension alimentaire. Je suis du même avis. Voir les arrêts D.L.M. c. J.A.M . et Boudreau c. Brun , 2005 NBCA 106 , 293 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 126 , au par. 10 . Le juge a limité l’ordonnance alimentaire au profit de l’épouse à 48 mois, sans analyser la question de savoir si les faits de la présente affaire justifiaient une ordonnance limitée dans le temps ou si cette limitation constituait un écart par rapport aux Lignes directrices (voir les arrêts MacLean c.
MacLean , 2004 NBCA 75 , 274 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 90 ; S.C. c. J.C. , 2006 NBCA 46 , 299 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 334 , aux par. 14 et 15 ; et Smith c. Smith , 2011 NBCA 66 , 375 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 208 , aux par. 34 à 46 , sur l’utilisation des Lignes directrices ). [21] Finalement, le juge du procès a ordonné à l’intimé d’apporter des rajustements à ses déclarations de revenus pour les années d’imposition 2013 et 2014 afin de se conformer à sa décision. C’est là une ordonnance insusceptible d’exécution et cette question ne concerne que M. F. et l’Agence du revenu du Canada.
Le juge du procès n’avait pas compétence pour rendre une ordonnance de cette nature. IV. Dispositif [22] Dans les arrêts suivants, des affaires ont été renvoyées à la Cour du Banc de la Reine en vue de la décision équitable de questions jugées valables sur le fond en appel : D.L.M . c. J.A.M. ; Pavecare Industries
(1989) Ltd. et al. c. Blue Chip Investments In c. et al. , 2000 NBCA 38 , 230 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 375 ; S.L.B. c. P.J.O . , 2013 NBCA 52 , 408 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 235 ; et Grant c. Grant . [23] Les parties sont séparées depuis 2012. Elles ont comparu devant la Cour du Banc de la Reine pour une audience de deux jours en 2014. Une décision a été rendue en mai 2015. Elles ont maintenant comparu devant notre Cour. Je regrette qu’elles soient tenues de comparaître, encore une fois, devant la Cour du Banc de la Reine afin d’obtenir un règlement; toutefois, ce résultat est inévitable.
Il ne s’agit malheureusement pas, en l’espèce, d’une instance où il y aurait lieu de recourir à la règle 1.02.1 des Règles de procédure (proportionnalité), étant donné le nombre de questions à trancher (voir les arrêts J.H. c. T.H. , 2014 NBCA 52 , 422 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 388 ; et Leger c.
G & G Carnival Amusements Inc. et autres , 2015 NBCA 20 , 434 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 186 , au par. 19 ). [24] Pour les motifs qui précèdent, je suis d’avis d’accueillir l’appel, d’annuler la décision du juge du procès et de renvoyer l’affaire à un autre juge de la Cour du Banc de la Reine. [25] Il serait négligent de ma part de ne pas examiner les commentaires que le juge du procès a faits à l’appui de sa décision d’attribuer un revenu à M me G.F. L’appelante a soulevé ces commentaires dans son mémoire et on nous a expressément demandé de les examiner.
Les énoncés suivants, qui sont extraits des motifs, ont été qualifiés [TRADUCTION] d’« offensants » : 1) Paragraphe 220 : [TRADUCTION] « Ce n’est pas une qualité aussi admirable si, comme je le constate en l’espèce, son objectif [principal] était de rester mère au foyer, aux dépens de son mari ». 2) Paragraphe 221 : [TRADUCTION] « À l’heure actuelle, [G.F.] reçoit quelques clients par mois [à] domicile […].
Cela ne saurait être considéré comme un emploi ». 3) Paragraphe 222 : [TRADUCTION] « [G.F.] reconnaît qu’elle ne veut pas vraiment d’emploi » (affirmation que rien n’étaye dans la transcription), et « c’est un cercle vicieux qu’elle a créé ». 4) Paragraphe 224 : [TRADUCTION] « [J.A.C.F.] n’est pas à blâmer pour la décision unilatérale qu’a prise [G.F.] de ne pas intégrer le marché du travail. Elle voulait rester à la maison. [J.A.C.F.] ne devrait pas être pénalisé parce qu’elle a volontairement assumé le rôle de parent au foyer ». 5) Paragraphe 227 : [TRADUCTION] « Avec l’aide de M.
B., [G.F.] peut éviter d’occuper un emploi tout en conservant un style de
vie qu’elle n’aurait pas, autrement, les moyens de s’offrir. Il n’y a certainement rien de mal à cela s’il s’agit d’un choix conscient fait par[G.F.] et M. B. S’ils désirent qu’elle reste à la maison, elle devrait pouvoir rester à la maison. Toutefois, il n’est pas juste d’obliger[J.A.C.F.] à payer l’équivalent de la pension alimentaire qu’il aurait été tenu de verser pour lui permettre de continuer à éviter d’avoir àoccuper un emploi valable ». [26] Le juge du procès a tiré les conclusions suivantes dans ses motifs : [TRADUCTION]La demande de [G.F.] en vue d’obtenir des aliments a un fondement compensatoire.
Pendant presque toute la durée du mariage, elle a étéune mère au foyer, avec les enfants, pendant que [J.A.C.F.] allait travailler. Son emploi, pendant la durée du mariage, a toujours étérémunéré en deçà du salaire minimum. Tant avant qu’après la naissance de ses enfants, elle a à l’occasion travaillé comme esthéticienneau salon de coiffure de son père. Elle n’a jamais travaillé à temps plein. Pendant un certain temps, […] son emploi a été subventionné parson père. C’est [G.F.] qui prenait le plus souvent soin des enfants [les] jours de travail.
Elle dit qu’elle préparait les repas et faisait le ménagependant la semaine. À bien des égards, il s’agissait du modèle matrimonial traditionnel dont elle a dit qu’il s’appliquait à sa mère. Pendant les 8 années qu’a duré ce mariage, [J.A.C.F.] a été le principal soutien de famille. [par. 206 à 208] [27] Le juge du procès s’est reporté à l’ouvrage intitulé Spousal Support in Canada, 2e éd. (Toronto :Carswell, 2013), dans lequel les auteurs, Ann C.
Wilton et Noel Semple, examinent un rapport de la Commission de réforme du droit duCanada déposé en 1975 sur la question du [TRADUCTION] « besoin », en matière de pension alimentaire pour époux, fondé sur[TRADUCTION] « ‘le préjudice économique causé par la répartition des tâches au sein du mariage, et sur ce qu’il en coûte pourremédier à ce préjudice’ ». La jurisprudence et le droit substantiel ont changé depuis 1975. Dans l’arrêt Moge c. Moge, (SCC), [1992] 3 R.C.S. 813, [1992] A.C.S. no 107 (QL), la Cour suprême a établi le cadre qui régit l’analyse concernant les demandesd’aliments au profit d’un époux.
Ce cadre a été davantage précisé dans l’arrêt Bracklow c. Bracklow, (SCC), [1999] 1 R.C.S. 420, [1999] A.C.S. no 14 (QL), ainsi que dans l’arrêt Hickey c. Hickey, (SCC), [1999] 2 R.C.S. 518, [1999] A.C.S. no 9 (QL), et il fonde le raisonnement compensatoire qui trouve son expression dans les Lignes directrices. [28] Dans l’arrêt Moge, la juge L’Heureux-Dubé mentionne expressément les conséquenceséconomiques que subissent les parents qui quittent le marché du travail pour rester à la maison et prendre soin de leurs enfants.
Ellereconnaît que ce sont les femmes qui « ont eu tendance » à subir les inconvénients économiques qui découlent du mariage ou de sonéchec en raison de la répartition traditionnelle des tâches qu’on y retrouve. La capacité limitée de gagner sa vie résultant de longuesinterruptions du travail pour assumer des responsabilités de nature domestique et parentale est établie.
La Cour suprême a reconnu qu’ilpeut souvent être difficile de réintégrer le marché du travail, ou d’y rester, en raison des obligations continues dont s’accompagnel’éducation des enfants (Wilton et Semple, à la page 155). [29] Le juge du procès a souscrit au témoignage de M. F. selon lequel [TRADUCTION] « ils » étaient convenus que Mme F. resterait à la maison pour prendre soin des enfants jusqu’à ce qu’ils soient d’âge scolaire et, à ce moment-là, il était prévu qu’elle retournerait graduellement travailler à temps plein (par. 217).
Il y avait des éléments de preuve établissant que Mme F. avait occupé [TRADUCTION] « au moins un emploi qui avait disparu parce qu’elle avait dû faire passer ses enfants en premier »(par. 220). [30] Bien qu’il eût reconnu que les parties s’étaient entendues sur le fait que Mme F. resterait à lamaison pour prendre soin des enfants jusqu’à ce qu’ils soient d’âge scolaire, le juge du procès a minimisé l’incidence que cette décision a eue sur la capacité de Mme F. de retourner sur le marché du travail. Ces jugements de valeur, comme nous l’avons souligné, sontcontraires à la jurisprudence actuelle.
Cela ne veut pas dire que le juge d’un procès doit limiter son analyse; toutefois, l’analyse doitcomporter une appréciation objective des critères énoncés dans la loi, de la jurisprudence et des Lignes directrices. V. Dépens [31] Puisque je suis d’avis de conclure que Mme F. a eu gain de cause dans le présent appel, je suis
d’avis de lui accorder des dépens de 2 500 $.