2014 QCCA 1709, 2014 QCCA 1709
Opinion
2014 QCCA 1709 Lubecki c. Lavin Gosselin Avocats inc. COUR OF APPEAL CANADA PROVINCE OF QUEBEC REGISTRY OF MONTREAL No: 500-09-024699-142 (455-22-002058-113) MINUTES OF THE HEARING DATE: September 9, 2014 THE HONORABLE MADAM JUSTICE MARIE ST-PIERRE, J.A. PETITIONER WILLIAM LUBECKI In person RESPONDENT COUNSEL LAVIN GOSSELIN AVOCATS INC. Mtre ÉRICA GOSSELIN ( Lavin Gosselin Avocats Inc .) MOTION FOR LEAVE TO APPEAL FROM A JUDGMENT RENDERED ON SEPTEMBER 4, 2014 BY THE HONORABLE MR. JUSTICE SERGE CHAMPOUX OF THE COURT OF QUEBEC, DISTRICT OF BEDFORD (Art. 26, 494 C.C.P.) Clerk: Nadia Samy Courtroom: RC.18
HEARING 9:34 Commencement of hearing. Submissions by Mr. Lubecki. 9:57 Submissions by Mtre Gosselin. 9:59 Comments by Mr. Lubecki. 10:06 Recess. 10:18 Resumption of hearing. Judgment – see page 3. 10:22 Conclusion of hearing.
Clerk JUDGMENT [ 1 ] Petitioner William Lubecki presents a Motion for Authorization to Appeal a judgment of September 4, 2014 rendered by the Court of Quebec (Honorable Serge Champoux) dismissing his motion in revocation of two previous judgments ( a judgment of Honorable Alain Désy rendered on July 31, 2014 and a judgment of clerk Tanya Larocque concerning a claim for professional services rendered.). [ 2 ] Before me, Respondent contests the Motion for leave to appeal. [ 3 ] For the following reasons, I conclude that leave to appeal should not be granted. [ 4 ] Article 26 (2) of the C.C.P . read as follows:
26. […] An appeal also lies, with leave of a judge of the Court of Appeal, when the matter at issue is one which ought to be submitted to the Court of Appeal, particularly where, in the opinion of the judge, the matter at issue is a question of principle, a new issue or a question of law that has given rise to conflicting judicial precedents, (1) from any judgment or order rendered under the provisions of Book VI of this Code; (2) from any judgment ruling on a motion to quash a seizure before judgment; (3) from any judgment or order rendered in matters concerning execution; (4) from any judgment rendered under
article 846; (4.1) from any judgment that dismisses an action because of its improper nature; (5) from any other final judgment of the Superior Court or the Court of Québec. 26. […] Peuvent aussi faire l'objet d'un appel, sur permission d'un juge de la Cour d'appel, lorsque la question en jeu en est une qui devrait être soumise à la Cour d'appel, ce qui est notamment le cas s'il est d'avis qu'une question de principe, une question nouvelle ou une question de droit faisant l'objet d'une jurisprudence contradictoire est en jeu: 1. les autres jugements ou ordonnances rendus en vertu des dispositions du Livre VI du présent code; 2. le jugement qui prononce sur la requête en annulation d'une saisie avant jugement; 3. les jugements ou ordonnances rendus en matière d'exécution; 4. les jugements rendus en application de l'article 846; 4.1. les jugements qui rejettent une demande en justice en raison de son caractère abusif; 5. les autres jugements finals de la Cour supérieure et de la Cour du Québec. [ 5 ] Petitioner must therefore establish that the matter at issue raises a question analogous to a question of principle, a new issue or a question of law that has given rise to conflicting judicial precedents ( Bouchard v.
Simard , 2013 QCCA 1475 ). [ 6 ] He has failed to discharge this burden. [ 7 ] As said by my colleague Pierre Dalphond, in Société en commandite Les bois de Pierrefonds v. Domaine de parc Cloverdale , 2007 QCCA 292 : « [c]et
article a fait l'objet de plusieurs décisions » et « [l]e principe qui s'en dégage est clair : il ne s'agit pas d'une procédure permettant de corriger une erreur de droit ou de fait commise par un juge de la Cour du Québec, mais plutôt d'un moyen pour la Cour d'intervenir lorsque le requérant démontre qu'il s'agit d'une question d'intérêt général qu'elle devrait trancher » [ 8 ] In any event, as my colleague Yves-Marie Morissette wrote in Droit de la famille 1431 ( 2014 QCCA 27 ) : [3] Il va sans dire que le fait pour une
partie de ne pas avoir gain de cause ne constitue jamais à lui seul la démonstration du caractère erroné de la décision attaquée, et en l’espèce c’est cette considération, il me semble, qui est sous-jacente aux motifs invoqués par le requérant. [ 9 ] Finally, authorizing an appeal in the present case would offend the proportionality rule (article 4.2 C.C.P .) taking into account the amount in litigation (less than $5 000) while, in my view and moreover, the proposed appeal has no reasonable chance of success. [ 10 ] FOR THESE REASONS , the Motion for Authorization to Appeal is DISMISSED , with costs.
MARIE ST-PIERRE, J.A.