2017 NBCA 22, 2017 NBCA 22
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 91-16-CA KEVIN RAY CARSON APPELLANT KEVIN RAY CARSON APPELANT - and - - et - GERTRUDE ANNE CARSON and BEVERLY ANNE GILLIES RESPONDENTS GERTRUDE ANNE CARSON et BEVERLY ANNE GILLIES INTIMÉES Carson v. Carson and Gillies, 2017 NBCA 22 Carson c.
Carson et Gillies, 2017 NBCA 22 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Larlee The Honourable Justice Baird The Honourable Justice French CORAM : l’honorable juge Larlee l’honorable juge Baird l’honorable juge French Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: November 2, 2016 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : le 2 novembre 2016 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: 2016 NBQB 199 Décision frappée d’appel : 2016 NBBR 199 Preliminary or incidental proceedings: N/A Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : s.o.
Appeal heard: March 29, 2017 Appel entendu : le 29 mars 2017 Judgment rendered: May 4, 2017 Jugement rendu : le 4 mai 2017
Reasons for judgment by: The Honourable Justice Larlee Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge Larlee Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Baird The Honourable Justice French Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Baird l’honorable juge French Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: Rodney J. Gillis, Q.C. and R. Gary Faloon, Q.C. For the respondents: George L. Cooper and Amy Maillet Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appelant : Rodney J. Gillis, c.r., et R. Gary Faloon, c.r. Pour les intimées : George L.
Cooper et Amy Maillet THE COURT The appeal is dismissed with one set of costs to the respondents in the amount of $5,000. LA COUR Rejette l’appel et accorde aux intimées une seule masse de dépens fixée à 5 000 $. The judgment of the Court was delivered by LARLEE, J.A. [ 1 ] This is an appeal from the dismissal of an application pursuant to Rules 16.04(
b) and (
c) of the Rules of Court by which Kevin Ray Carson sought an order directing the respondents to convey property to The Ray Carson Family Trust and to remove the respondents as trustees of the Trust. The decision is reported at 2016 NBQB 199, [2016] N.B.J. No. 238 (QL) . [ 2 ] The appellant’s father, Ray Carson, died in 2009. Following his death, his widow, the appellant’s step-mother, Gertrude Carson, became the principal trustee of the Trust.
The appellant’s stepsister, Beverly Gillies, was a co- trustee together with Ray Carson’s accountant and his lawyer. [ 3 ] The appellant’s chief complaint is that the trustees transferred Ray Carson’s former family home (130 Comeau Street in Shediac) from the Trust to his widow, Gertrude Carson, for less than fair market value. The transfer price was $539,100, the assessed value of the property.
[ 4 ] In 2009 when the property was transferred into the Trust it was the marital home and principal residence of Ray Carson and Gertrude Carson. They transferred it to the Trust in exchange for a demand note for $472,401.08, the assessed value of the property, subject to a life estate for each. [ 5 ] The parties agree in a case such as this the standard of review is reasonableness. As we mentioned in In the matter of the bankruptcy of Dynamic Transport Corp. and Dynamic Transport Inc. , 2016 NBCA 70 , [2016] N.B.J.
No. 312 (QL) , the “ standard remains applicable notwithstanding the decision at first instance was based upon written evidence available to this Court” (para. 3). [ 6 ] The application judge found that based on the clear and unambiguous express terms of the trust indenture, the trustees had the power to convey the subject property to Gertrude Carson.
The trustees had express authority stipulated in broad and unfettered terms that permitted them to sell real property forming any part of the Trust for such price as the trustees considered advisable, and had express directions to encroach and distribute a portion of the Trust Fund for Gertrude Carson’s benefit. The transfer of the property, therefore, accorded with the express terms of the Trust. Nothing in the common law derogated from the express discretions granted to the trustees under the clear terms of the Trust.
In exercising their powers, the trustees did not engage in any impropriety or breach of obligations to any beneficiary, including the appellant. Furthermore, the trustees, although not obligated to do so, prior to registering the transfer of 130 Comeau Street, sought the opinion of independent outside counsel, Kathryn L. Stratton, Q.C., on their power to transfer the property to Gertrude Carson. Ms. Stratton opined that provided the majority of the current trustees concurred in the decision to transfer the property, they had the power to do so under the terms of the Trust (para. 18).
The application judge adopted this opinion as his own. [ 7 ] The nub of the application judge’s reasons for judgment is found in the following excerpt from the decision under appeal: I also find that in exercising their power to transfer the property to Trudy Carson, the Trustees did not act in any improper manner or in any way breach their obligations to any of the other beneficiaries, including the applicant, Kevin Carson. Nor did they violate any duties or obligations under the common law or under the provisions of the Trustees Act as alleged by the applicant.
The terms of the Trust Indenture provided that the Trustees were authorized to act in the manner that they did. More specifically, it provided that beneficiaries could be treated under the Trust unequally by the Trustees in their absolute discretion. It did not require that the Trustees provide prior disclosure of their intended actions to all beneficiaries of the Family Trust. [para. 19] [ 8 ] I am in substantial agreement with the reasons for judgment and, accordingly, I would dismiss the appeal, with one set of costs to the respondents in the amount of $5,000.
Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par LA JUGE LARLEE [1] Il s’agit d’un appel interjeté du rejet d’une requête déposée en vertu des règles 16.04b) et
c) des Règles de procédure , aux termes de laquelle Kevin Ray Carson sollicitait une ordonnance prescrivant aux intimées de transporter un bien à la fiducie appelée The Ray Carson Family Trust et de destituer les intimées de leur charge de fiduciaires de la fiducie. La décision est publiée à 2016 NBBR 199, [2016] A.N.-.B. n o 238 (QL) . [2] Le père de l’appelant, Ray Carson, est décédé en 2009. À la suite de son décès, sa veuve, soit la belle-mère de l’appelant, Gertrude Carson, est devenue la fiduciaire principale de la fiducie. La sœur par alliance de l’appelant, Beverly Gillies, était cofiduciaire avec le comptable et l’avocat de Ray Carson.
[3] La plainte principale de l’appelant est que les fiduciaires ont transféré l’ancienne résidence familiale de Ray Carson (130, rue Comeau, à Shediac) de la fiducie à sa veuve, Gertrude Carson, pour une contrepartie en-deçà de la juste valeur marchande. Le prix du transfert était de 539 100 $, soit la valeur imposable de la propriété. [4] En 2009, quand la propriété a été transférée à la fiducie, il s’agissait du foyer matrimonial et de la résidence principale de Ray Carson et Gertrude Carson.
Ils ont effectué le transfert à la fiducie en échange d’un billet à demande de 472 401,08 $, soit la valeur imposable de la propriété, sous réserve d’un domaine viager en faveur de chacun. [5] Les parties conviennent que dans un cas comme celui qui nous occupe, la norme de contrôle applicable est celle de la décision raisonnable.
Comme nous l’avons mentionné dans la décision que nous avons rendue Dans l’affaire de la faillite de Dynamic Transport Corp. et Dynamic Transport Inc. , 2016 NBCA 70 , [2016] A.N.-B. n o 312 (QL) , la « norme reste applicable, malgré que la décision prononcée en première instance se soit appuyée sur une preuve écrite dont notre Cour dispose » (par. 3). [6] Le juge saisi de la requête a conclu qu’en vertu des clauses expresses claires et non ambiguës de l’acte de fiducie, les fiduciaires avaient le pouvoir de transporter la propriété visée à Gertrude Carson.
Les fiduciaires jouissaient de l’autorité expresse stipulée en termes larges et inconditionnels qui leur permettait de vendre les biens réels qui composaient la fiducie au prix qu’ils jugeaient convenable, et ils avaient l’ordre exprès d’entamer et de distribuer une
partie du fonds fiduciaire au bénéfice de Gertrude Carson. Par conséquent, le transfert de la propriété était conforme aux clauses expresses de la fiducie. Rien dans la common law ne faisait obstacle aux pouvoirs discrétionnaires exprès conférés aux fiduciaires dans les clauses claires de la fiducie. Dans l’exercice de leurs pouvoirs, les fiduciaires n’ont pas commis d’impropriété ni de manquement à leurs obligations à l’égard des bénéficiaires, dont l’appelant. De plus, même s’ils n’y étaient pas obligés, les fiduciaires ont sollicité l’avis d’une avocate indépendante externe, Kathryn L.
Stratton, c.r., avant de procéder à l’enregistrement du transfert du 130, rue Comeau, en ce qui concerne leur pouvoir de transférer la propriété à Gertrude Carson. M me Stratton était d’avis qu’étant donné que la majorité des fiduciaires actuels se ralliaient à la décision de transférer la propriété, ils avaient le pouvoir d’y procéder en vertu des clauses de la fiducie (par. 18).
Le juge saisi de la requête a fait sienne cette opinion. [7] Le cœur des motifs du juge saisi de la requête se trouve dans le passage suivant de la décision dont appel : [TRADUCTION] J’arrive aussi à la conclusion qu’en exerçant leur pouvoir de transférer la propriété à Trudy Carson, les fiduciaires n’ont pas agi incorrectement et n’ont d’aucune façon commis de manquement à leurs obligations à l’égard des autres bénéficiaires, dont le requérant Kevin Carson. Ils n’ont pas non plus violé de devoirs ou d’obligations prescrites par la common law ou par la
Loi sur les fiduciaires comme l’allègue le requérant. Les clauses de l’acte de fiducie prévoyaient que les fiduciaires étaient autorisés à agir comme ils l’ont fait. Plus précisément, elles prévoyaient que les bénéficiaires pouvaient recevoir un traitement inégal de la part des fiduciaires en vertu de la fiducie, à l’entière discrétion de ces derniers. L’acte de fiducie n’enjoignait pas aux fiduciaires de communiquer préalablement leurs actions projetées à tous les bénéficiaires de la fiducie familiale. [par. 19] [8] Je souscris pour l’essentiel aux motifs du jugement et, par conséquent, je suis d’avis de rejeter l’appel et d’accorder aux intimées une seule masse de dépens fixée à 5 000 $.