2016 NBCA 70, 2016 NBCA 70
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 61-16-CA 62-16-CA IN THE MATTER of a proposal of DYNAMIC TRANSPORT INC. and DYNAMIC TRANSPORT CORP., business corporations duly registered under the laws of the Province of New Brunswick carrying on business at 197 de L’Anse Street, Eel River Crossing, New Brunswick DANS L’AFFAIRE d’une proposition de DYNAMIC TRANSPORT INC. et de DYNAMIC TRANSPORT CORP., corporations commerciales dûment enregistrées sous le régime des lois de la Province du Nouveau-Brunswick exerçant leur activité depuis le 197, rue de l’Anse, à Eel River Crossing, au Nouveau-Brunswick , - and - - et - IN THE MATTER of an Application pursuant to
Section 195 of the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act by PENSKE TRUCK LEASING CANADA INC. for an Order, inter alia , cancelling, varying or confirming the inexistence of a stay of proceedings under
Section 69.1 of the Act - and - IN THE MATTER of an Application pursuant to
Section 195 of the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act by DAIMLER TRUCK FINANCIAL, A BUSINESS UNIT OF MERCEDES-BENZ FINANCIAL SERVICES CANADA CORPORATION for an Order, inter alia , cancelling, varying or confirming the inexistence of a stay of proceedings under
Section 69.1 of the Act - and - IN THE MATTER of an Application pursuant to
Section 195 of the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act (the “Act”) by LAURENTIAN BANK OF CANADA and LBEL INC. for an Order, inter alia , cancelling, varying or confirming that the stay of proceedings under
Section 69 of the Act no longer exists DANS L’AFFAIRE d’une demande de LOCATION DE CAMIONS PENSKE CANADA INC. sollicitant, sur le fondement de l’ art. 195 de la
Loi sur la faillite et l’insolvabilité , une ordonnance qui porterait, entre autres, annulation ou modification d’une suspension des procédures prévue par l’art. 69.1 de la Loi, ou confirmation de l’inexistence de cette suspension , - et - DANS L’AFFAIRE d’une demande de DAIMLER TRUCK FINANCIAL, entité commerciale de LA CORPORATION DE SERVICES FINANCIERS MERCEDES-BENZ CANADA, sollicitant, sur le fondement de l’ art. 195 de la
Loi sur la faillite et l’insolvabilité , une ordonnance qui porterait, entre autres, annulation ou modification d’une suspension des procédures prévue par l’art. 69.1 de la Loi, ou confirmation de l’inexistence de cette suspension , - et – DANS L’AFFAIRE d’une demande de BANQUE LAURENTIENNE DU CANADA et de LBEL INC. sollicitant, sur le fondement de l’ art. 195 de la Loi sur la faillite et l’insolvabilité , une ordonnance qui, entre autres, annulerait ou modifierait la suspension des procédures prévue par l’art. 69 de la Loi , ou confirmerait que cette suspension n’existe plus .
CORAM: The Honourable Justice Larlee The Honourable Justice Richard The Honourable Justice Quigg CORAM : l’honorable juge Larlee l’honorable juge Richard l’honorable juge Quigg In the matter of the bankruptcy of Dynamic Transport Corp. and Dynamic Transport Inc., 2016 NBCA 70 Dans l’affaire de la faillite de Dynamic Transport Corp. et Dynamic Transport Inc., 2016 NBCA 70 Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: August 31, 2016 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : le 31 août 2016 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: Unreported Décision frappée d’appel : inédite Preliminary or incidental proceedings: N/A Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : s.o.
Appeal heard and judgment rendered: November 30, 2016 Appel entendu et jugement rendu : le 30 novembre 2016 Reasons delivered: January 19, 2017 Motifs déposés : le 19 janvier 2017 Counsel at hearing: For Dynamic Transport Inc. and Dynamic Transport Corp.: George Cooper and Simon-Pierre Godbout For Penske Truck Leasing Canada Inc.: Michael J. Bray, Q.C. For Daimler Truck Financial : Gary Makila For Laurentian Bank of Canada and LBEL Inc.: Hugh J.
Cameron Avocats à l’audience : Pour Dynamic Transport Inc. et Dynamic Transport Corp. : George Cooper et Simon-Pierre Godbout Pour Location de Camions Penske Canada Inc. : Michael J. Bray, c.r. Pour Daimler Truck Financial : Gary Makila Pour Banque Laurentienne du Canada et LBEL Inc. : Hugh J. Cameron
THE COURT On November 30, 2016, the appeal was dismissed with reasons to follow. These are the reasons for decision. LA COUR Nous avons rejeté l’appel le 30 novembre 2016, avec motifs à suivre. Voici ces motifs. The following is the judgment delivered by THE COURT [ 1 ] The appellants ask the Court to determine that a judge of the Court of Queen’s Bench erred in his refusal to grant an extension sought under s. 50.4(9) of the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act , R.S.C. 1985, c. B-3. [ 2 ] A review of the record reveals the first two grounds of appeal advanced by the appellants raise questions of mixed fact and law.
Summarized, the grounds are whether the application judge erred: (1) by giving undue weight to the report filed by the trustee and (2) by making an unfavourable finding of credibility with respect to the affidavits sworn by Kevin Lee Comeau. The third issue raised by the appellants also purports that the application judge misapplied the applicable legal test under the Act . It is apparent to us that the appellants are actually contesting the manner in which the legal test was applied to the facts.
In other words, the appellants are attempting to disguise, as a question of law, what are actually questions of mixed law and fact and wish us to substitute our judgment for that of the motion judge. [ 3 ] It is trite law that in order for this Court to interfere with decisions where the alleged errors are of mixed fact and law we must determine that the judge made a palpable and overriding error. This standard remains applicable notwithstanding the decision at first instance was based upon written evidence available to this Court. In The Executive Director of Assessment v.
Irving Oil Limited , 2005 NBCA 39 , 282 N.B.R. (2d) 275 : Deschênes J.A is instructive in his dissent: The reviewing court must also apply the palpable and overriding error standard in cases involving findings of fact grounded on documentary evidence filed before a motion or application judge and irrespective of the nature of the civil proceedings. Justice Robertson has cited precedents from other appellate courts which support that view. See for example Sports Villas , Gottardo Properties ,
Equity Waste Management of Canada v. Halton Hills (Town) (1997), (ON CA), 35 O.R. (3d) 321 (C.A.). I do not take issue with the view that this Court has the right to draw inferences from established facts. I share that view, but do not agreewith the appellant that no deference is owed to findings of fact or factual inferences arrived at by the original fact-finder in this case.
Inmy opinion, unless the appellant succeeds in convincing the reviewing court that the judge of first instance has committed a palpable andoverriding error, a court of appeal should not interfere with findings of fact or factual inferences made by her unless there is a clearlegislative mandate to do so. Waxman v. Waxman, (ON CA), [2004] O.J. No. 1765 (C.A.) at para. 291. [paras. 64-65] [Emphasis added.] Writing for the majority in that case, Robertson J.A. did not find it necessary to determine the issue. However, it is now settled law. InCanada (Attorney General) v.
Bedford, 2013 SCC 72, [2013] 3 S.C.R. 1101, at para. 55, McLachlin C.J. for the Court made it clear that,absent express statutory instruction, adjudicative facts presented only in affidavit form are owed the same deference as other kinds ofevidence. [4] The judge’s decision was discretionary in nature.
Where the impugned order is the product of an exercise ofjudicial discretion, it may be interfered with on appeal only if it is founded upon an error of law, an error in the application of thegoverning principles or a palpable and overriding error in the assessment of the evidence (see British Columbia (Minister of Forests) v.Okanagan Indian Band, 2003 SCC 71, [2003] 3 S.C.R. 371, para. 43) or if it is unreasonable, in the sense that nothing in the record canjustify it: The Beaverbrook Canadian Foundation v.
The Beaverbrook Art Gallery, 2006 NBCA 75, 302 N.B.R. (2d) 161, DrapeauC.J.N.B, for the Court, at para. 4. [5] Furthermore, in Burtt v. Boyle et al. (2011), (NB CA), 382 N.B.R. (2d) 206, [2011]N.B.J. No. 471 (C.A.) (QL), Richard J.A., writing on the issue of adjournment requests, cited Royal Bank of Canada v. Belliveau, 2002NBCA 96, 254 N.B.R. (2d) 184. In Belliveau, Drapeau J.A. (as he then was), stated at para. 10: “the exercise of the discretion [...] mustbe exercised according to common sense and justice and in a manner which does not occasion an injustice”.
Richard J.A. in Burtt added“[t]he exercise of discretion, not only in matters of bankruptcy or of adjournment, must be exercised judiciously, which certainly importselements of common sense and justice” (para. 11). The standard of review is “stamped with deference” (para 12). (See: J.A. MacFarlaneEngineering Company Limited et al. v. Darcon Holdings Ltd. et al., 2016 NBCA 45, [2016] N.B.J. No. 183) [6] The sections of the Act at play in this case are designed to give an insolvent company an opportunity to putforth a proposal as long as a court is satisfied that the requirements of
section 50.4(9) are met: Doaktown Lumber Ltd. v. BNY FinancialCorp. Canada (1996), (NB CA), 174 N.B.R. (2d) 297, [1996] N.B.J. No. 110 (C.A.) (QL), Convergix Inc. et al., Re,2006 NBQB 288, 307 N.B.R. (2d) 259. An extension may be granted if the insolvent party satisfies the court that it met the followingcriteria on the balance of probabilities: (
a) the insolvent person has acted, and is acting in good faith and with due diligence; (
b) the insolvent person would likely be able to make a viable proposal if the extension is granted; and (
c) no creditor would be materially prejudiced if the extension is granted. [7] In considering applications under s. 50.4(9) of the Act, an objective standard must be applied and mattersconsidered under this provision should be judged on a rehabilitation basis rather than on a liquidation basis: Convergix supra.
One mustalso keep in mind the provisions of s. 50.4(9) are conjunctive; the appellant must prove all three. [8] A review of the application judge’s decision indicates he took into consideration all of the evidence availableto him by affidavit before applying it to the legal test prescribed by s. 50.4(9) of the Act. The judge made findings of fact fromwhich he concluded the appellant did not meet the three statutory criteria. As the motion judge made no palpable and overriding error and applied the correct legal principles, we see no basis for intervention. Accordingly, the appealis dismissed.
We award the responding parties who appeared at the hearing to oppose the appeal each one set of costs in the amount of
$1,000.00. Version française de la décision rendue par LA COUR [1] Les appelantes sollicitent de la Cour une décision qui constaterait qu’un juge de la Cour du Banc de la Reinea commis une erreur en refusant d’accorder la prorogation de délai qu’elles demandaient en vertu du par. 50.4(9) de la
Loi sur la failliteet l’insolvabilité, L.R.C. 1985, ch. B-3. [2] Il se révèle, à l’examen du dossier, que les deux premiers moyens des appelantes soulèvent des questions mixtes dedroit et de fait. Ces moyens, en résumé, nous engagent à déterminer si le juge saisi de la demande a fait erreur : (1) en accordant un poidsexcessif au rapport déposé par le syndic; (2) en tirant une conclusion, en matière de crédibilité, défavorable aux affidavits de Kevin LeeComeau. La troisième question soulevée par les appelantes reproche au juge une application erronée du critère énoncé par la Loi.
Il nousapparaît que les appelantes contestent, en réalité, la façon dont le critère légal a été appliqué aux faits. En d’autres termes, elles tentent defaire passer pour une question de droit des questions qui sont mixtes en réalité, et souhaitent voir notre Cour substituer son jugement àcelui du juge saisi de la motion. [3] Il est acquis en droit que notre Cour, pour pouvoir infirmer une décision lorsque les erreurs prétendues sont deserreurs mixtes, doit conclure que le juge a commis une erreur manifeste et dominante.
Cette norme reste applicable, malgré que ladécision prononcée en première instance se soit appuyée sur une preuve écrite dont notre Cour dispose. L’opinion dissidente exprimée par le juge d’appel Deschênes dans Le Directeur exécutif de l’évaluation c.
Irving Oil Limited, 2005 NBCA 39, 282 R.N.-B. (2e) 275, serévèle instructive à ce propos : La Cour qui siège en révision doit également appliquer la norme de l’erreur manifeste et dominante dans les instances se rapportant à desconclusions de fait fondées sur une preuve documentaire déposée devant un juge ayant entendu une motion, une requête ou une demandeet ce, quelle que soit la nature de la poursuite civile. Le juge Robertson a cité des précédents émanant d’autres cours d’appel qui appuientcette opinion. Voir par exemple les arrêts Sports Villas, Gottardo Properties et Equity Waste Management of Canada c.
Halton Hills(Town) (1997), (ON CA), 35 O.R. (3d) 321 (C.A.). Je ne conteste pas l’opinion voulant que notre Cour ait le droit de tirer des inférences à partir de faits établis. Je partage cette opinion,mais je ne suis pas d’accord avec l’appelant pour conclure qu’il n’y a pas lieu de faire preuve de retenue envers les conclusions de fait oules inférences factuelles auxquelles en est arrivée la juge des faits initiale en l’espèce.
À mon avis, à moins que l’appelant ne réussisse àconvaincre la cour siégeant en révision que la juge de première instance a commis une erreur manifeste et dominante, une cour d’appelne devrait pas modifier les conclusions de fait ou les inférences factuelles que la juge a tirées à moins d’y être autorisée par un mandatlégislatif clair. Voir l’arrêt Waxman c. Waxman, (ON CA), [2004] O.J. No. 1765 (C.A.), au paragraphe 291. [par. 64et 65] [Je souligne.]
Il n’a pas paru nécessaire au juge d’appel Robertson, auteur des motifs de la majorité, de statuer sur la question. Le droit, sur ce point, esttoutefois établi aujourd’hui. Dans l’arrêt Canada (Procureur général) c. Bedford, 2013 CSC 72, [2013] 3 R.C.S. 1101, au par. 55, lajuge en chef McLachlin, qui s’exprimait au nom de la Cour, a indiqué clairement qu’un fait en litige établi uniquement au moyen d’unaffidavit appelle, sauf libellé exprès dans la loi, à la même déférence que les autres genres de preuves. [4] La décision du juge était de nature discrétionnaire.
Lorsque l’ordonnance contestée découle de l’exercice d’unpouvoir judiciaire discrétionnaire, elle ne peut être modifiée en appel que si elle est fondée sur une erreur de droit, une erreur dansl’application des principes directeurs ou une erreur manifeste et dominante dans l’appréciation de la preuve (Colombie-Britannique(Ministre des Forêts) c. Bande indienne Okanagan, 2003 CSC 71, [2003] 3 R.C.S. 371, par. 43), ou encore, que si elle est déraisonnable,c’est-à-dire s’il n’y a rien dans le dossier qui la justifie (La Beaverbrook Canadian Foundation c.
La Galerie d’art Beaverbrook, 2006 NBCA 75, 302 R.N.-B. (2e) 161, le juge Drapeau, J.C.N.-B., au nom de la Cour, par. 4). [5] En outre, dans Burtt c. Boyle et al. (2011), (NB CA), 382 R.N.-B. (2e) 206, [2011] A.N.- B. no 471 (C.A.) (QL), le juge d’appel Richard, qui traitait de la question des demandes d’ajournement, a cité Banque Royale du Canada c. Belliveau, 2002 NBCA 96, 254 R.N.-B. (2e) 184.
Au par. 10 de l’arrêt Belliveau, le juge d’appel Drapeau (tel était alors son titre) avaitécrit : « [L]e pouvoir discrétionnaire […] doit être exercé avec bon sens et équité et d’une manière qui ne cause pas d’injustice ». Le juged’appel Richard a ajouté, dans Burtt, qu’« [u]n pouvoir discrétionnaire, pas seulement en matière de faillite ou d’ajournement, doit êtreexercé judicieusement, ce qui suppose nécessairement une part de bon sens et d’équité » (par. 11). La norme de contrôle est « marquéepar la déférence » (par. 12). (Voir J.A. MacFarlane Engineering Company Limited et autre c.
Darcon Holdings Ltd. et autres, 2016 NBCA 45, [2016] A.N.-B. no 183.) [6] Les dispositions de la Loi qui entrent en jeu, en l’espèce, sont conçues pour donner à une société insolvable lapossibilité de présenter une proposition, pourvu que le tribunal soit convaincu que les exigences du par. 50.4(9) sont respectées (Doaktown Lumber Ltd. c. BNY Financial Corp. Canada (1996), (NB CA), 174 R.N.-B. (2e) 297, [1996] A.N.- B. no 110 (C.A.) (QL), Convergix Inc. et al., Re, 2006 NBBR 288, 307 R.N.-B. (2e) 259). Le tribunal peut acquiescer à la demande deprorogation de délai si la
partie insolvable le convainc que la demande satisfait aux conditions ci-dessous par prépondérance desprobabilités : (
a) la personne insolvable a agi – et continue d’agir – de bonne foi et avec toute la diligence voulue; (
b) elle serait vraisemblablement en mesure de faire une proposition viable si la prorogation était accordée; (
c) la prorogation ne saurait causer de préjudice sérieux à l’un ou l’autre des créanciers. [7] Dans l’examen des demandes faites conformément au par. 50.4(9) de la Loi, il faut appliquer une normeobjective, et les affaires examinées en application de cette disposition devraient être jugées en vue d’un assainissement de la situation dessociétés plutôt que de leur liquidation (Convergix). Il importe de se rappeler également que les dispositions du par. 50.4(9) sontcumulatives : la
partie appelante doit prouver qu’il est satisfait à toutes trois. [8] Il apparaît, à l’examen de la décision du juge saisi de la demande, qu’il a pris en considération toute la preuvequi lui avait été présentée par affidavit avant d’appliquer le critère prescrit au par. 50.4(9) de la Loi. Le juge a tiré des conclusions de faitqui l’ont amené à constater que la demande ne satisfaisait pas aux trois conditions législatives. Étant donné que le juge n’a pas commisd’erreur manifeste et dominante, et qu’il a appliqué les bons principes juridiques, rien ne nous paraît fonder une intervention.
Parconséquent, les appelantes sont déboutées. Nous accordons des dépens de 1 000 $, dont nous faisons masse, à chacune des partiesintimées ayant comparu lors de l’audience afin de contester l’appel.