2018 NBCA 85, 2018 NBCA 85
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 63-18-CA/64-18-CA/65-18-CA ADRIENNE O’HALLORAN, ALAIN BOUDREAU, AIDEN McCORMACK, ALEXANDRA LEBLANC, MANON LAPORTE, MARIE-JOSÉE CYR, et al. APPELLANTS ADRIENNE O’HALLORAN, ALAIN BOUDREAU, AIDEN McCORMACK, ALEXANDRA LEBLANC, MANON LAPORTE, MARIE-JOSÉE CYR, et autres APPELANTS - and - - et - HER MAJESTY THE QUEEN IN RIGHT OF THE PROVINCE OF NEW BRUNSWICK, as represented by the TREASURY BOARD RESPONDENT SA MAJESTÉ LA REINE DU CHEF DE LA PROVINCE DU NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK, représentée par le CONSEIL DU TRÉSOR INTIMÉE O’Halloran et al. v.
Treasury Board, 2018 NBCA 85 O’Halloran et autres c. Conseil du Trésor, 2018 NBCA 85 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Drapeau The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice Green CORAM : l’honorable juge Drapeau l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge Green Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: May 25, 2018 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : le 25 mai 2018 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: 2018 NBQB 99 Décision frappée d’appel : 2018 NBBR 99 Preliminary or incidental proceedings: N/A Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : s.o.
Appeal heard: November 14, 2018 Appel entendu : le 14 novembre 2018
Judgment rendered: December 13, 2018 Jugement rendu : le 13 décembre 2018 Counsel at hearing: For the appellants: Matthew R. Letson For the respondent: Keith Mullin Avocats à l’audience : Pour les appelants : Matthew R. Letson Pour l’intimée : Keith Mullin THE COURT The appeal is dismissed. Reasons will follow. LA COUR L’appel est rejeté. Les motifs suivront. The following is the judgment delivered by THE COURT [ 1 ] The appeal is dismissed. Reasons will follow. Version française de la décision rendue par LA COUR [1] L’appel est rejeté. Les motifs suivront.
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 63-18-CA/64-18-CA/65-18-CA ADRIENNE O’HALLORAN, ALAIN BOUDREAU, AIDEN McCORMACK, ALEXANDRA LEBLANC, MANON LAPORTE, MARIE-JOSÉE CYR, et al. APPELLANTS ADRIENNE O’HALLORAN, ALAIN BOUDREAU, AIDEN McCORMACK, ALEXANDRA LEBLANC, MANON LAPORTE, MARIE-JOSÉE CYR et autres.
APPELANTS - and - - et - HER MAJESTY THE QUEEN IN RIGHT OF THE PROVINCE OF NEW BRUNSWICK (as represented by the TREASURY BOARD RESPONDENT SA MAJESTÉ LA REINE DU CHEF DE LA PROVINCE DU NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK, représentée par le CONSEIL DU TRÉSOR) INTIMÉE Adrienne O’Halloran, Alain Boudreau, Aiden McCormack, Alexandra LeBlanc, Manon Laporte, Marie-Josée Cyr, et al. v.
Her Majesty the Queen in Right of the Province of New Brunswick (as represented by the Treasury Board, 2018 NBCA 85 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Drapeau The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice Green Adrienne O’Halloran, Alain Boudreau, Aiden McCormack, Alexandra LeBlanc, Manon Laporte, Marie-Josée Cyr et autres c.
Sa Majesté la Reine du chef de la Province du Nouveau-Brunswick (représentée par le Conseil du Trésor), 2018 NBCA 85 CORAM : l’honorable juge Drapeau l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge Green Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: May 25, 2018 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : le 25 mai 2018 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: 2018 NBQB 99 Décision frappée d’appel : 2018 NBBR 99
Preliminary or incidental proceedings: N/A Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : s.o. Appeal heard: November 14, 2018 Appel entendu : le 14 novembre 2018 Judgment rendered: December 13, 2018 Jugement rendu : le 13 décembre 2018 Reasons delivered: February 7, 2019 Counsel at hearing: For the appellants: Matthew R. Letson For the respondent: Keith Mullin Motifs déposés : le 7 février 2019 Avocats à l’audience : Pour les appelants : Matthew R. Letson Pour l’intimée : Keith Mullin THE COURT On December 13, 2018, the Court dismissed the appeal with reasons to follow.
Those reasons are set out in the accompanying text. In a nutshell, the Court of Queen’s Bench lacks jurisdiction as the appellants’ complaints, once formalized in a grievance or set of grievances, may be referred to adjudication under s. 92(5) of the Public Service Labour Relations Act , R.S.N.B. 1973, c. P-25. LA COUR Le 13 décembre 2018, la Cour a rejeté l’appel en précisant que des motifs suivraient. Ces motifs sont exposés dans le texte qui suit.
Bref, la Cour du Banc de la Reine n’a pas compétence pour entendre les plaintes des appelants car, une fois établies formellement dans un grief ou une série de griefs, elles pourront être renvoyées à l’arbitrage en vertu du par. 92(5) de la Loi relative aux relations de travail dans les services publics , L.R.N.-B. 1973, ch. P-25. Reasons for judgment delivered by THE COURT I. Introduction and Overview [1] Ironically, this litigation is fueled, to a significant extent, by complaints of inequity, both procedural and substantive, in the application of the Pay Equity Act, 2009 , S.N.B. 2009, c.
P-5.05. [ 2 ] The 721 appellants are members of the New Brunswick Union of Public and Private Employees (“the Union”) by reason of their inclusion in one or the other of the following bargaining units: Medical Science Professionals and Specialized Health Care Professionals. Both bargaining units fall under
Part III of the Public Service (as defined in the
First
Schedule to the Public Service Labour Relations Act, R.S.N.B. 1973, c. P-25) and their members are covered by collectiveagreements between the Union and Treasury Board. [3] In 2014, Treasury Board and the Union initiated the process mandated by the Pay Equity Act,2009. Once this collaborative process was completed, Treasury Board applied the pay adjustments that were deemed appropriate and thecollective agreements were amended accordingly. [4] The appellants objected.
In their view, the pay adjustments worked to their financialdisadvantage and had been settled upon following a process that did not accord with the Pay Equity Act, 2009, and their right toprocedural fairness and to equality, the latter as guaranteed under the Charter. However, the Union was not prepared to approve agrievance targeting the pay adjustments applicable to the appellants. As a consequence, three applications were made to the Court ofQueen’s Bench for an order setting aside Treasury Board’s pay adjustment decision.
Both Treasury Board and the Union opposed theapplications. [5] Prior to the hearing, Treasury Board applied for an order dismissing the applications, arguingthe appellants lacked standing and the Court of Queen’s Bench was without jurisdiction. The judge agreed for the following reasons: Exclusive authority of the bargaining agent The exclusive authority of a bargaining agent to represent and bind the members of a union is well established in our law.
The SupremeCourt of Canada has described, with my clarifications within square brackets: “... the change in labour relations brought about by certification of the union. A collective framework supersedes [replaces] thetraditional contractual process which is based on individual relations between the employer and employees...”. Noël v. Société d’énergiede la Baie James, 2001 SCC 39 , [2001] S.C.J. No. 41, at para. 43. “...
Although the scheme [of collective bargaining] imposes obligations on the employer relating to the employees and the union, it offersemployers, in return, the prospect of temporary peace in their companies. An employer can expect that the problems negotiated andresolved with the union will remain resolved and will not be reopened ... on the initiative of a group of employees, or even a singleemployee...
However reluctant the members of a dissenting or minority group of employees, they will be bound by the collectiveagreement and will have to abide by it.” Noël, at para. 44. . . . “... the duty of representation is not limited to bargaining and the arbitration process. Where the union has an exclusive representationmandate, the corresponding duty [of exclusive representation] extends to everything that is done that affects the legal framework of therelationship between the employee and the employer...”.
Noël, at para. 57. . . . “While judicial review by the superior courts is an important principle, it cannot allow employees to jeopardize the expectation ofstability in labour relations in a situation where there is union representation. Allowing an employee to take action against a decisionmade by his or her union, by applying for judicial review ... would offend the union’s exclusive right of representation...”. Noël, at para.62 Are employees left without a remedy?
Counsel for the applicants emphasizes these other words in Noël: “As well, some violations of the audi alteram partem rule [the duty to allow a fair hearing], such as situations in which the employee hadbeen systematically prevented from presenting a point of view that might have differed from the union’s, could legitimately be raisedusing that procedure [of judicial review]. An employee cannot be left without a remedy.” Noël, para. 68.
This case is about the implementation of the New Brunswick Pay Equity Act, 2009. The Supreme Court recently described thecomplexity of the issue of pay equity in Centrale des syndicats du Québec v. Québec, 2018 SCC 18 as follows: “[57] As Binnie J. noted in Newfoundland (Treasury Board) v.
N.A.P.E., 2004 SCC 66, [2004] 3 S.C.R. 381, at para. 30, and as the trialjudge reiterated in the case at bar (2014 QCCS 4197, at para. 17 ), “[p]ay equity has been one of the most difficult andcontroversial workplace issues of our times.” This appeal provides a good illustration of how difficult it is to achieve such an objective. “[58] For many years, the situation of women in the workplace was characterized by significant inequality resulting from prejudice,stereotyping and discrimination.
Such discrimination was described as systemic, because it [translation] “is cloaked in normality, sodeeply imprinted on our attitudes and thinking is the gender-based division of social roles” (Journal des débats de la Commission desaffaires sociales, vol. 34, No. 35, 1st Sess., 35th Leg., February 6, 1996, at p. 1). “[59] This problem was magnified by occupational segregation. Women were often concentrated in a narrow range of occupations withcharacteristics commonly associated with female job classes.
The result was that these job classes were devalued and that such employeeswere often underpaid.” In that context and in light of the statutory requirements of the Pay Equity Act, 2009, general words about fairness and a remedy do notpersuade me that these individual applicants can seek judicial review of these pay equity adjustments. To use the traditional legal word,the individual applicants do not have standing to apply for judicial review. Their remedy for any perceived unfairness in the pay equity adjustments is through their unions and the collective bargaining process.
Conclusion The individual applicants are members of unions. The NBUPPE [New Brunswick Union of Public and Private Employees] is theexclusive bargaining agent for those unions. The bargaining agent has not pursued and does not support these applications by individualmembers of the unions for judicial review of the pay equity decision of June 27, 2017. It is my duty to conclude that the individualapplicants do not have standing to make these applications.
These applications for judicial review are dismissed with one set of costs of $2,000 payable to the Province. [paras. 18-24] [6] As is readily apparent, the appellants’ complaints have all the hallmarks of complaintscommonly at the root of a labour relations grievance: the complaints impugn the sustainability of a pay-related decision by an employer.That being so, the Court queried the parties on the applicability of s. 92(5) of the Public Service Labour Relations Act. It provides anemployee may, without union approval, refer to adjudication a grievance arising out of any action resulting in “financial penalty”.
Theparties were given an opportunity to consider this question and full representations on point were made at the hearing. [7] For the reasons that follow, we uphold the decision rendered in the Court of Queen’s Bench onthe basis that the appellants’ complaints and any related grievance fall within the scope of s. 92(5) and they are therefore entitled to referthe dispute to adjudication. It further follows the Court of Queen’s Bench lacks jurisdiction to entertain the underlying applications forjudicial review. II.
Context [8] The Union has been certified as the bargaining agent for both the Medical ScienceProfessionals and the Specialized Health Care Professionals. Those units were represented by the Union for pay equity purposes.
[ 9 ] Treasury Board is a party to two collective agreements with the Union in respect of the Medical Science Professionals and the Specialized Health Care Professionals. Both agreements are dated September 24, 2015, and are set to expire March 31, 2019. A. The Statutory Pay Equity process in general [ 10 ]
Section 7 of the Pay Equity Act, 2009 , compels Treasury Board to implement pay equity within
Part III of the Public Service. [ 11 ] Under s. 12, the Union is required to: (1) meet with Treasury Board and determine the process to be followed by the parties to implement pay equity; (2) disclose and exchange relevant information; and (3) bargain in good faith with Treasury Board. [ 12 ] Pursuant to s. 13(1), Treasury Board and the Union must attempt to reach an agreement respecting the selection of a nondiscriminatory job evaluation system, the identification of all female- and male-dominated classifications within the bargaining units and the manner in which the job evaluation system is to be applied to those classifications.
The job evaluation system is then applied to determine the relative value of work performed by female-dominated classifications versus male-dominated classifications: s. 13(2).
Treasury Board and the Union are also required by s. 13(2) to attempt to reach an agreement as to the inequities between female- and male-dominated classifications. [ 13 ] After the job evaluation system is applied, Treasury Board is mandated to decide the pay adjustments for female dominated classifications and how those adjustments are to be allocated among the female-dominated classifications within the bargaining unit: s. 13(3). [ 14 ] Significantly, Treasury Board must ensure that employees affected by pay equity are informed “about the implementation of the pay equity process from time to time and of the outcome of the process”: s. 16.
Treasury Board is also required to give “written notice of its decision”: s. 13(3). [ 15 ] Unlike its counterparts in Ontario and Quebec, the New Brunswick Pay Equity Act, 2009 , does not explicitly provide for an individual right of appeal or an individual right to make a complaint regarding the implementation of pay equity. In Ontario, individual employees may bring a complaint under s. 22 of the Pay Equity Act , R.S.O. 1990, c. P. 7. B.
Pay Equity process in this case [ 16 ] In late 2014, Treasury Board began a pay equity review for the Medical Science Professionals and the Specialized Health Care Professionals. It agreed with the Union to carry out their respective statutory obligations by means of two committees composed of Treasury Board and Union representatives.
This agreement was set out in a document entitled “Pay Equity – Job Evaluation Terms of Reference”. [ 17 ] The terms of reference were not disclosed to the general membership of the Medical Science Professionals or the Specialized Health Care Professionals before they were adopted, nor were they ratified by a vote of the general membership. [ 18 ] The two committees established by the terms of reference were the Joint Pay Equity Steering Committee and the Evaluation Committee. The Steering Committee would oversee the work of the Evaluation Committee.
Decisions made by the Steering Committee required the consensus of representatives of both the Union and Treasury Board.
Job rating decisions of the Evaluation Committee required a unanimous decision of the full committee. [ 19 ] In fulfilling their respective functions under ss. 12(1) , 13(1) and 13(2) of the Pay Equity Act, 2009 , the Evaluation Committee rated each job classification, while the Steering Committee: (1) identified the male comparators to be used for the study; (2) created a survey for members to complete called the Pay Equity Questionnaire; (3) applied weights to the ratings that had been set by the Evaluation Committee; and (4) once the Questionnaire results were gathered, identified inequities between female-dominated classifications and male-dominated classifications.
[ 20 ] As part of the process contemplated by ss. 13(1) and 13(2), Treasury Board disseminated the Pay Equity Questionnaire. Most, but not all, members of the Medical Science Professionals and the Specialized Health Care Professionals received the Questionnaire. [ 21 ] On October 26, 2016, Treasury Board and the Union agreed on the inequities identified by the pay equity evaluation process between female- and male- dominated classifications. [ 22 ] On June 1, 2017, Treasury Board notified the Union of its pay adjustment decision.
On June 27, 2017, the members of the Medical Science Professionals and the Specialized Health Care Professionals were made aware of this decision when it was made public. [ 23 ] Before Treasury Board’s decision was communicated to the public and the affected employees, the Union had agreed all outstanding issues were settled.
However, this agreement was not made known to the members of the Medical Science Professionals or the Specialized Health Care Professionals. [ 24 ] Upon review of Treasury Board’s pay adjustment decision, the appellants noted several anomalies including: (1) some job classifications did not receive an adjustment, even though they are equivalent to job classifications that did receive an adjustment; (2) some job classifications received smaller adjustments than classifications for work of equal or lesser value; (3) significant pay gaps within “classification families”; and (4) higher-level employees earning less than employees in a lower level of their classification family. [ 25 ] The underlying applications for judicial review allege that some, if not all, of those anomalous results came about because of procedural problems in the pay equity study process that resulted in breaches of the duty of fairness.
The applications reference several examples of unfairness in the process, including the content of the Pay Equity Questionnaire, how it was distributed and collected, and the process used: (1) to rate the factors being applied in the analysis; (2) to select the weights to apply to each rating; (3) to identify male comparators; and (4) to identify inequities between male- and female- dominated classifications. [ 26 ] The following are examples of procedural irregularities the appellants allege resulted in breaches of the duty of fairness: (1) some members did not receive the Pay Equity Questionnaire, including some on maternity and other leaves at that time; (2) inconsistent instructions were given to different members on filling out the Questionnaire; (3) insufficient time was given to members to complete the Questionnaire; (4) incomplete information was given to members about how the Questionnaire would be used or that it could affect their rates of pay; (5) the Questionnaire contained ambiguous questions and lacked clear instructions on how to fill it out; (6) in some cases, managers changed or influenced answers given by members on the Questionnaire; (7) the ratings given based on subjective information were not compared with objective information that was available; and (8) no follow-up was done where Questionnaire answers were incomplete or where managers gave information that differed from the answers given by members on the Questionnaire. [ 27 ] In their Notice of Appeal, the appellants submit the application judge erred in law: (1) by concluding they did not have standing to apply for judicial review of the June 27, 2017 Treasury Board decision; and (2) by applying Noël v.
Société d’énergie de la Baie James , 2001 SCC 39 , [2001] 2 S.C.R. 207 , or , alternatively, by failing to find the applications for judicial review fell within a recognized exception to the principles set out in Noël . The appellants also contend the judge erred in fact or mixed fact and law in finding they had other remedies to address the unfairness in the pay equity process that led to the June 27, 2017 Treasury Board decision.
Evidently, the latter concern is addressed by the Court’s reasons for decision. [ 28 ] As noted in our introductory remarks, prior to the hearing on appeal, the Court requested the parties address the issue of the applicability of s. 92(5) of the Public Service Labour Relations Act . A fulsome debate on point took place at the hearing. In the result, and after due consideration, we conclude s. 92(5) applies and, resultantly, ousts the jurisdiction of the Court of Queen’s Bench over the appellants’ complaints. III.
Analysis [ 29 ] Sections 92(1) , (4) and (5) of the Public Service Labour Relations Act are at the heart of the jurisdictional debate on appeal. They provide as follows:
92(1) Every collective agreement shall bedeemed to contain the following provision: “Where a difference arises between theparties relating to the
interpretation,application or administration of thisagreement or an arbitral award binding on theparties, including any question as to whethera matter is adjudicable, or where an allegationis made that this agreement or an arbitralaward binding on the parties has beenviolated, either of the parties may, afterexhausting any grievance procedureestablished by this agreement or the arbitralaward, notify the other party in writing of itsdesire to submit the difference or allegation toadjudication.
The parties shall, within sevendays after the receipt by the other party ofsuch notice, appoint an adjudicator to hearand determine the difference or allegation. Ifwithin such period of time the parties fail toappoint an adjudicator, the appointment shall,on the written request of either party, be madeby the Labour and Employment Board. Theadjudicator shall hear and determine thedifference or allegation and shall issue adecision.
The decision is final and binding onthe parties and on any employee affected byit.” […] 92(4) Notwithstanding subsection (1), anemployee is not entitled to refer a grievanceto adjudication in accordance with subsection(1) unless the bargaining agent for thebargaining unit signifies in writing (
a) its approval of the reference of thegrievance to adjudication, and (
b) its willingness to represent theemployee. 92(5) Notwithstanding subsection (4), anemployee may refer to adjudication agrievance arising out of any action resultingin discharge, suspension or financial penaltywhere the bargaining agent refuses to signifyits approval, but in that case the employeeshall pay the bargaining agent’s share of thecosts in relation to the adjudication asdetermined in accordance with
section 98. 92(1) Chaque convention collective estréputée contenir la disposition suivante : « Lorsqu’un désaccord survient entre lesparties relativement à l’interprétation,l’application ou l’administration de laprésente convention ou d’une sentencearbitrable liant les parties, y compris toutequestion à savoir si une affaire est arbitrable,ou lorsqu’une allégation est faite établissantque la présente convention ou qu’unesentence arbitrale liant les parties a été violée,l’une ou l’autre des parties peut, après avoirépuisé toute procédure de grief établie par laprésente convention ou la sentence arbitrale,aviser l’autre
partie par écrit de son désir deprésenter le désaccord ou l’allégation àl’arbitrage. Les parties doivent dans les septjours qui suivent la réception par l’autre partiede cet avis, nommer un arbitre pour entendreet décider le désaccord ou l’allégation. Sidans ce délai les parties font défaut denommer un arbitre, la nomination doit, à lademande écrite de l’une ou l’autre des parties,être faite par la Commission du travail et del’emploi. L’arbitre doit entendre et décider ledésaccord ou l’allégation et doit rendre unedécision.
La décision est finale et définitivepour les parties et pour tout employé affectépar elle. » […] 92(4) Nonobstant le paragraphe (1), unemployé n’a pas le droit de renvoyer un griefà l’arbitrage conformément au paragraphe (1)à moins que l’agent négociateur de l’unité denégociation ne signifie par écrit
a) qu’il approuve le renvoi du grief àl’arbitrage, et
b) qu’il est disposé à représenterl’employé. 92(5) Nonobstant le paragraphe (4), unemployé peut renvoyer à l’arbitrage un griefdécoulant d’une action entraînant lecongédiement, la suspension ou une peinepécuniaire lorsque l’agent négociateur refusede signifier son approbation, mais auquel casl’employé doit payer la part des frais del’agent négociateur relativement à l’arbitragetelle que déterminée conformément à l’article98. [30] In Weber v. Ontario Hydro, (SCC), [1995] 2 S.C.R. 929, [1995] S.C.J. No. 59(QL), the Supreme Court of Canada endorsed the view that arbitration provisions such as s. 92(1) must be interpreted as encompassing
any dispute which in its essential character arises from the
interpretation, application, administration or violation of the collectiveagreement “including disputes that involve legislation or the Charter” (see Donald J.M. Brown and David M. Beatty, Canadian Labour Arbitration, 4th ed (Toronto: Thomson Reuters, 2014), (loose-leaf release No. 39), ch 2 at 2100.). In our view, the underlying disputerelates to the administration and application of the collective agreements that cover the appellants. It therefore falls within the scope of s.92(1).
It is our view, as well, that the pay adjustment decision qualifies as an action resulting in a financial penalty within the meaning ofs. 92(5). We begin the discussion with a review of the jurisprudence on the meaning of the expression “financial penalty”. [31] In Re Malcolm (1977), (NB CA), 17 N.B.R. (2d) 137, [1977] N.B.J. No. 77(C.A.) (QL), a pre-Charter case, Mr.
Malcolm and three fellow employees filed grievances with their employer, the Rural DevelopmentBranch of the Department of Agriculture, contending financial benefits approved by Treasury Board had been withheld from them by theDeputy Minister “as a form of disciplinary action” because of his dissatisfaction with the operation of the Branch.
The grievorscontended withholding those benefits resulted in a “financial penalty”. [32] The employer’s response was essentially the same in all cases: the financial benefits at issuewere discretionary and their withholding could not be characterized as a disciplinary penalty. [33] The affected employees referred their grievances to adjudication. However, the adjudicatordeclined jurisdiction after finding the grievances did not fall within s. 92(1)(
b) of the Public Service Labour Relations Act as it read at thetime: 92.
(1) Where an employee has presented a grievance up to and including the final level in the grievance process with respect to […] (
b) disciplinary action resulting in discharge, suspension or a financial penalty, and his grievance has not been dealt with to his satisfaction, he may, […] refer the grievance to adjudication. […] [Emphasis added.] [34] The adjudicator determined the employer’s actions were not “the proper subject for reference toadjudication within the scope of
Section 92”: […] From the totality of the evidence, I am satisfied that the withholding of the various pay increments or adjustments from the Grievorsconstituted a form of disciplinary action. There can be no doubt that the Department was not satisfied with the performances of theindividual Grievors and the pay increments were withheld accordingly. Such action does, in my opinion, constitute a form of disciplinaryaction. The next issue to be determined is whether such action comes within the scope of Section 92(1)(b), thereby being a proper subject forreference to adjudication.
I am satisfied from the evidence that the various pay increments, which are the subject of the grievances, are wholly within the discretionof the Department concerned, its Deputy Head or the Treasury Board. The withholding of same, even if for disciplinary reasons, whichappear to be the only basis for withholding, does not constitute the imposition of a financial penalty.
An employee is not entitled as ofright to such increases and it would, in my opinion, be beyond the scope of an adjudicator to look behind the exercise of the discretion.[As cited in Malcolm at para. 9] [Emphasis added.] We hasten to point out how the present case is easily distinguishable from Malcolm: the appellants assert an entitlement as of right to payequity adjustments in accordance with the Pay Equity Act, 2009, and s. 15 of the Charter. Unlike Mr. Malcolm, the benefits they seekare not discretionary. [35] At any rate, Mr.
Malcolm and fellow grievors sought an order of certiorari, removing andquashing the adjudicator’s decision. The application judge found the adjudicator committed reversible error in concluding the
withholding of financial benefits, specifically salary increments and cost of living increases, did not result in a “financial penalty”. In the reviewing judge’s mind, the term “penalty” included any disadvantage or loss resulting directly from some course of action. [ 36 ] On appeal, the Court reversed.
In doing so, it referred to the ordinary meaning of the word “penalty” as “a punishment imposed for breach of law, rule or contract; a loss, disability or disadvantage of some kind, either ordained by law to be inflicted for some offence or agreed upon to be undergone in case of violation of a contract; sometimes the payment of a sum of money imposed in such a case”. The Court then added: As the cardinal rule of
interpretation requires that the words of a statute are to be given their ordinary meaning the latter definition of “penalty” is to be preferred to that used by the judge of first instance. It follows therefore that if the withholding of the salary increments and the cost of living increases from the respondents was not done as a punishment imposed for a breach of a law, rule or contract or as a punishment inflicted for some offence committed by the respondents there was no “disciplinary action resulting in a financial penalty”, even if the withholding could be termed “disciplinary”, which could entitle the respondents to the adjudication of their grievances under s. 92(1)(
b) of the Act and since the adjudicator’s jurisdiction is conferred by the Act he must confine himself to grievances falling within the class of grievances for which adjudication is provided. […] The material which has been brought before us on this appeal shows that the granting and withholding of all of the pay increases and cost of living increments of which the respondents have been deprived are monies to which the respondents have no claim as of right, the same being granted solely at the discretion of the employer and while the granting of such increases to an employee may be regarded as a reward for the satisfactory performance of his duties, the withholding of the same imposes no pecuniary penalty on the employee denied it in the sense in which that expression is used in s. 92(1) of the Act , and consequently the adjudicator was without jurisdiction in the matter. [paras. 10 and 20] [ 37 ] It may be timely to underscore the critical point that s. 92(1)(
b) was subsequently replaced by a differently-worded provision, namely s. 92(5) , which we reproduce for convenience sake: 92
(5) Notwithstanding subsection (4), an employee may refer to adjudication a grievance arising out of any action resulting in discharge, suspension or financial penalty where the bargaining agent refuses to signify its approval, but in that case the employee shall pay the bargaining agent’s share of the costs in relation to the adjudication as determined in accordance with
section 98. [Emphasis added.] 92
(5) Nonobstant le paragraphe (4), un employé peut renvoyer à l’arbitrage un grief découlant d’une action entraînant le congédiement, la suspension ou une peine pécuniaire lorsque l’agent négociateur refuse de signifier son approbation, mais auquel cas l’employé doit payer la part des frais de l’agent négociateur relativement à l’arbitrage telle que déterminée conformément à l’article 98. [Nous avons souligné.] [ 38 ] Our interpretative duty is to discern “legislative intent by examining the words of a statute in their entire context and in their grammatical and ordinary sense, in harmony with the statute’s scheme and object”: British Columbia v.
Phillip Morris International, Inc. , 2018 SCC 36 , [2018] S.C.J. No. 36 (QL) , Brown, J. for the Court. As can be distilled from the wording of s. 92(5) , it now authorizes grievances arising from both disciplinary and non-disciplinary actions on the part of the employer. Manifestly, the Legislature amended s. 92(2)(
b) to broaden the class of grievances arbitrable under its authority. The word “disciplinary” in s. 92(2)(
b) was not superfluous, and its non - inclusion in s. 92(5) is equally purposeful. The removal of the qualifier “disciplinary” opens the door to: (1) grievances challenging all employer actions that result in discharges, suspensions or financial penalties, whether they are disciplinary or otherwise; and (2) a departure from Malcolm’s narrow
interpretation of the expression “financial penalty”. [ 39 ] In this regard, we agree with New Brunswick (Department of Finance) v. Allen (1997), N.B.R. (2d) (Supp.) No. 70, [1997] N.B.J. No. 242 (Q.B.) (QL) . In that case, the grievance related to the employer’s failure to assign work to the employee. The adjudicator heard and allowed Mr.
Allen’s grievance under the authority of s. 92(5) and awarded him “all wages, seniority and benefits that would have accrued to him had he been employed from December 17, 1993 to March 28, 1994 and from April 15, 1994 to January 22, 1995.” [ 40 ] On judicial review, the Department of Finance contended the adjudicator erred in ruling he had jurisdiction to hear and determine the grievance under s. 92(5) . In the Department’s submission, that was so because Mr. Allen had not
suffered a “financial penalty”. Justice Russell disagreed for the following reasons: Because of Section 92(4) of the Public Services Labour Relations Act, R.S.N.B. 1973 Ch. P-25 and amendments, an employee is notpermitted to refer a grievance to adjudication without the approval of the bargaining agent.
The bargaining agent here did not approve.There is one exception to this impediment and that is contained in Section 92(5) which says: Notwithstanding subsection (4), an employee may refer to adjudication a grievance arising out of any action resulting in discharge,suspension or financial penalty where the bargaining agent refuses to signify its approval, but in that case the employee shall pay thebargaining agent’s share of the costs in relation to the adjudication as determined in accordance with
section 98. In accepting jurisdiction the adjudicator said that “being unable to earn wages during that period of time would constitute a financialpenalty”. The applicant now argues that the arbitrator misconstrued the evidence when he determined “that the issue referred to arbitrationinvolves a disciplinary penalty”. The applicant relies on Re Malcolm (1977) (NB CA), 17 N.B.R. (2d) 137 and TheQueen v. Robb (FCA), [1982] 2 F.C. 58. In Malcolm (supra) the jurisdictional clause said: 92.
(1) Where an employee has presented a grievance up to and including the final level in the grievance process with respect to (b)disciplinary action resulting in discharge, suspension or a financial penalty, and his grievance has not been dealt with to his satisfaction, he may, subject to subjection (2), refer the grievance to adjudication. There was a similar clause in Robb (supra). The arbitrator here did not make a finding that there was a disciplinary penalty.
When the sections of the statutes in the Malcolm andRobb cases and Section 92(5) (supra) are laid side by side, it is apparent the first two on one hand and Section 92(5) on the other differsubstantially. All that was required in the present case was a determination that there was a financial penalty. Discipline is not aprerequisite to that finding. To that extent Malcolm and Robb (supra) are not relevant. In making that determination the arbitrator must be correct. See: Toronto Board of Education v. Ontario Secondary School TeachersFederation, District 15, (SCC), [1997] S.C.J. No. 27 (QL) at para. 39.
I am satisfied the arbitrator correctly interpreted Section 92(5) of the Public Service Labour Relations Act (supra) which gave himjurisdiction to hear a grievance brought by Mr. Allen without benefit of his bargaining agent. [paras. 13-19] [Emphasis added.] [41] We note the decision in Allen has been applied in arbitral jurisprudence (see Lawton v. NewBrunswick (Board of Management) (Collective Agreement Grievance), [2000] N.B.L.A.A. No. 18 (QL) and Balram v. New Brunswick(Board of Management) (Pay Grievance), [2008] N.B.L.A.A.
No. 16 (QL)). [42] Admittedly, a few decisions of the Court of Queen’s Bench favour an interpretative conclusionat odds with the one adopted in Allen (see Thériault v. Province of New Brunswick as represented by the Minister of Agriculture andRural Development, 2002 NBBR 166 , 2002 NBQB 166, 250 N.B.R. (2d) 120 and Andrews v. Province of New Brunswick,2013 NBQB 379, 412 N.B.R. (2d) 317). However, the judges in those cases were evidently unaware of the Allen decision.
Moreover,they failed to appreciate the amendments to the Public Service Labour Relations Act referenced hereinabove deprived Malcolm of anybinding authority. At any rate, the narrow interpretative understanding of the expression “financial penalty” espoused in Thériault andAndrews has been rejected by our Court, implicitly, if not explicitly (see Her Majesty the Queen in Right of the Province of NewBrunswick v. LeBouthillier, 2014 NBCA 54, 423 N.B.R. (2d) 190, per Deschênes, J.A.).
[ 43 ] The pay adjustments implemented by Treasury Board pursuant to s. 13(3) of the Pay Equity Act, 2009 , form part of the collective agreements that cover the appellants. The appellants complain the pertinent provisions of the collective agreements should not be applied because the process that culminated with their adoption violated principles of procedural fairness and was inconsistent with the Pay Equity Act, 2009 . It is their related complaint, albeit not as clearly expressed as it might be, that those provisions of the collective agreements violate their s. 15 Charter right to equality.
Just as significantly, the appellants contend the pay adjustments implemented by Treasury Board denied them a financial benefit to which they were entitled, as a matter of law and, as a consequence, they have been penalized financially. Viewing the matter realistically, and giving the expression “financial penalty” the “fair, large and liberal”
interpretation required under s. 17 of the
Interpretation Act , R.S.N.B. 1973, c. I-13, we agree any Treasury Board denial of pay adjustments required by law would constitute a “financial penalty”. [ 44 ] Since the appellants’ complaints target provisions of the collective agreements and impugn action on the part of Treasury Board that allegedly resulted in a “financial penalty”, they may be referred to adjudication under s. 92(5).
An adjudicator appointed pursuant to s. 92 has exclusive jurisdiction to determine whether the collective agreement terms pertaining to pay equity were permissible under the Pay Equity Act, 2009 , and s. 15 of the Charter (see Brown & Beatty , paras. 2:2051 and 2:2052). That being so, the jurisdiction of the superior court is ousted. We operate under an exclusive jurisdiction model. IV. Conclusion [ 45 ] The appellants’ complaints, once regrouped in a formal grievance or set of formal grievances, are arbitrable under s. 92(5) of the Public Service Labour Relations Act .
That being so, the jurisdiction of the Court of Queen’s Bench is ousted. It is for this reason that we dismissed the appeal on December 13, 2018. Accessorily, we order the appellants pay one set of costs, which we set at $2,500. [ 46 ] We wrap up the proceedings by underscoring a proposition that should be obvious to all: nothing herein affects the jurisdiction of the Court of Queen’s Bench on judicial review of any decision rendered by the adjudicator pursuant to s. 92(5) . Version française des motifs rendus par LA COUR I.
Introduction et aperçu [1] Ironiquement, le présent litige est alimenté, dans une large mesure, par des plaintes d’iniquité, tant sur le plan procédural que sur le fond, quant à l’application de la Loi de 2009 sur l’équité salariale , L.N.-B. 2009, ch. P-5.05. [2] Les 721 appelants sont membres du Syndicat des employé(e)s des secteurs public et privé du Nouveau-Brunswick (« le Syndicat ») du fait de leur participation à l’une ou l’autre des unités de négociation suivantes : Professionnels des sciences médicales et Professionnels spécialisés en soins de santé. Les deux unités de négociation relèvent de la
partie III des services publics (figurant à l’annexe I de la Loi relative aux relations de travail dans les services publics , L.R.N.-B. 1973, ch. P-25) et leurs membres sont visés par des conventions collectives conclues par le Syndicat et le Conseil du Trésor. [3] En 2014, le Conseil du Trésor et le Syndicat ont entamé la procédure prescrite par la Loi de 2009 sur l’équité salariale . Une fois le processus de collaboration terminé, le Conseil du Trésor a appliqué les redressements de rémunération jugés indiqués et les conventions collectives ont été modifiées en conséquence.
[4] Les appelants s’y sont opposés. De leur point de vue, les redressements de rémunération se sont avérés désavantageux sur le plan financier et ont été établis au terme d’un processus qui ne concordait pas avec la Loi de 2009 sur l’équité salariale et leur droit à l’équité procédurale et à l’égalité, ce dernier tel que garanti par la Charte . Toutefois, le Syndicat n’était pas disposé à approuver un grief visant les redressements de rémunération applicables aux appelants.
Par conséquent, trois requêtes ont été présentées à la Cour du Banc de la Reine dans lesquelles on sollicitait une ordonnance annulant la décision du Conseil du Trésor sur les redressements de rémunération. Le Conseil du Trésor et le Syndicat se sont tous les deux opposés aux requêtes. [5] Avant l’audience, le Conseil du Trésor a sollicité une ordonnance rejetant les requêtes, au motif que les appelants n’avaient pas qualité pour agir et que la Cour du Banc de la Reine n’avait pas compétence pour s’en saisir.
Le juge était du même avis, et ce, pour les motifs suivants : Le pouvoir exclusif de l’agent négociateur Le pouvoir exclusif d’un agent négociateur de représenter et de lier les membres d’un syndicat est bien établi dans notre jurisprudence. La Cour suprême du Canada a décrit ce pouvoir en ces termes, les précisions entre crochets étant les miennes : […] le changement que l’accréditation du syndicat entraînait dans les rapports de travail à l’intérieur de l’entreprise.
Un cadre collectif se substitue au mécanisme [remplace le mécanisme] contractuel traditionnel, fondé sur des rapports individuels entre l’employeur et ses salariés. […] Noël c. Société d’énergie de la Baie Jame s, [2001] A.C.S. n o 41, par. 43 . […] S’il lui impose des obligations vis-à-vis les salariés et le syndicat, en contrepartie, ce régime [la négociation collective] lui offre la perspective d’une paix temporaire dans son entreprise.
L’employeur peut s’attendre à ce que les problèmes négociés et réglés avec le syndicat le demeurent et ne soient pas remis en cause […] à l’initiative d’un groupe de salariés, sinon d’un seul d’entre eux. […] Quelles que soient leurs réticences, les membres d’un groupe de salariés dissident ou minoritaire se trouveront liés par la convention collective et devront s’y conformer. [Voir Noël , par. 44 .] . . . […] l’obligation de représentation ne s’arrête pas à la négociation et à la procédure arbitrale.
Lorsque le syndicat jouit de l’exclusivité du mandat de représentation, l’obligation corrélative [découlant du droit exclusif de représenter] s’étend à l’ensemble des actes qui affectent le cadre juridique de la relation entre le salarié et l’employeur […] [Voir Noël , par. 57 .] . . . […] Le contrôle judiciaire par les cours supérieures est un principe important, mais il ne saurait permettre au salarié de remettre en cause cette expectative de stabilité des relations de travail dans un contexte de représentation syndicale.
Permettre au salarié d’agir à l’encontre de la décision de son syndicat en ayant recours au contrôle judiciaire […] serait une violation de l’exclusivité de la fonction de représentation du syndicat […] [Voir Noël , par. 62 .] Les employés sont-ils alors dépourvus de tout recours?
L’avocat des requérants attire l’attention sur les propos qui suivent et qui ont également été tenus dans l’arrêt Noël : De même, certaines formes de violation de la règle audi alteram partem [obligation de permettre une audition équitable], comme par exemple les situations où on aurait systématiquement empêché le salarié de présenter un point de vue différent de celui de la
partie syndicale, pourraient être légitimement soulevées par cette procédure [le contrôle judiciaire]. On ne saurait laisser le salarié sans remède. [Voir Noël , par. 69 .] La présente affaire porte sur l’application de la Loi de 2009 sur l’équité salariale . Dans un arrêt récent, Centrale des syndicats du Québec c. Québec (Procureure générale) , 2018 CSC 18 , la Cour suprême a décrit la nature complexe de la question de l’équité salariale en ces termes :
[57] Comme le notait le juge Binnie dans l’arrêt Terre-Neuve (Conseil du Trésor) c. N.A.P.E., 2004 CSC 66 , [2004] 3 R.C.S.381, par. 30, et comme l’a rappelé le juge de première instance dans la présente affaire (2014 QCCS 4197, par. 17 ) : « L’équitésalariale est l’une des questions les plus épineuses et controversées de notre époque dans le monde du travail. »
Le présent pourvoiconstitue un bon exemple de la difficulté que représente l’atteinte d’un tel objectif. [58] Pendant de nombreuses années, la situation des femmes sur le marché du travail fut caractérisée par d’importantes inégalités duesaux préjugés, aux stéréotypes et à la discrimination.
Cette discrimination fut qualifiée de systémique puisqu’elle « revêt la forme de lanormalité, tant l’attribution des rôles sociaux selon les sexes est profondément imprimée dans nos mentalités et dans nos façons de penser » (Journal des débats de la Commission des affaires sociales, vol. 34, no 35, 1re sess., 35e lég., 6 février 1996, p.1). [59] Ce problème fut également accentué par la ségrégation professionnelle. En effet, les femmes se retrouvent souvent concentrées dansune gamme restreinte de métiers et de professions possédant des caractéristiques couramment associées aux catégories d’emploisféminins.
Il en résulte une dévalorisation de ces catégories d’emplois, et des salariées souvent sous-payées. Dans ce contexte, et compte tenu des exigences de la Loi de 2009 sur l’équité salariale, des propos généraux au sujet du droit à untraitement équitable et à un recours n’ont pas pour effet de me convaincre que ces requérants individuels peuvent solliciter le contrôlejudiciaire des redressements en matière d’équité salariale dont il s’agit en l’espèce. Pour employer l’expression juridique traditionnelle,les requérants individuels n’ont pas qualité pour agir par le dépôt de requêtes en révision judiciaire.
Leur recours pour contrer toute injustice perçue dans les redressements de rémunération au
titre de l’équité salariale doit se faire parl’intermédiaire de leurs syndicats et du processus de négociation collective. Conclusion Les requérants individuels sont membres de syndicats. Le SESPPNB [Syndicat des employé(e)s des secteurs public et privé duNouveau-Brunswick] est l’agent négociateur exclusif représentant ces syndicats. L’agent négociateur n’a pas déposé les requêtesprésentées par des membres individuels des syndicats et sollicitant le contrôle judiciaire de la décision prise le 27 juin 2017 au sujet del’équité salariale, et il ne les appuie pas.
J’ai le devoir de conclure que les requérants individuels n’ont pas qualité pour agir dans laprésentation de ces requêtes. Ces requêtes en révision judiciaires sont rejetées et les requérants paieront au gouvernement provincial une seule masse de dépens fixée à2 000 $. [par. 18 à 24] [6] Comme on peut facilement le constater, les plaintes soulevées par les appelants comportenttoutes les caractéristiques principales qui sont communément à l’origine de griefs en matière de relations de travail : les plaintes mettenten cause la validité d’une décision, par un employeur, en matière de rémunération.
En conséquence, la Cour a interrogé les parties ausujet de l’applicabilité du par. 92(5) de la Loi relative aux relations de travail dans les services publics.
Ce paragraphe prévoit qu’unemployé peut, sans l’approbation du syndicat, renvoyer à l’arbitrage un grief découlant d’une action entraînant une « peine pécuniaire ».Les parties ont eu l’occasion d’examiner cette question et elles ont présenté des observations complètes sur celle-ci lors de l’audience. [7] Pour les motifs qui suivent, nous confirmons la décision rendue par la Cour du Banc de laReine parce que les plaintes des appelants ainsi que tout grief y afférent emportent l’application du par. 92(5) et que les appelants sont,par conséquent, en droit de renvoyer le différend à l’arbitrage.
Il s’ensuit également que la Cour du Banc de la Reine n’a pas compétencepour se saisir des requêtes sous-jacentes en révision judiciaire. II. Contexte [8] Le syndicat a été accrédité comme agent négociateur tant pour les professionnels des sciencesmédicales que les professionnels spécialisés en soins de santé. Ces unités étaient représentées par le Syndicat en ce qui concerne l’équitésalariale.
[9] Le Conseil du Trésor est
partie à deux conventions collectives conclues avec le Syndicat se rapportant aux professionnels des sciences médicales et aux professionnels spécialisés en soins de santé. Les deux conventions sont datées du 24 septembre 2015 et arriveront à échéance le 31 mars 2019. A. Le processus d’origine législative de mise en œuvre de l’équité salariale en général [10] L’
article 7 de la Loi de 2009 sur l’équité salariale oblige le Conseil du Trésor à mettre en œuvre l’équité salariale au sein de la
partie III des services publics. [11] En application de l’art. 12, le Syndicat est tenu : (1) de rencontrer le Conseil du Trésor et de fixer la procédure qu’ils suivront pendant le processus de mise en œuvre de l’équité salariale; (2) de communiquer et d’échanger les renseignements pertinents; et (3) de négocier de bonne foi avec le Conseil du Trésor. [12] En application du par. 13(1), le Conseil du Trésor et le Syndicat doivent tenter d’aboutir à un accord concernant le choix d’un système non discriminatoire d’évaluation des postes, l’identification de toutes les classifications à prédominance féminine et de toutes les classifications à prédominance masculine au sein des unités de négociation, et la manière selon laquelle le système d’évaluation des emplois doit être appliqué à ces classifications.
Le système d’évaluation des postes est ensuite appliqué afin de déterminer la valeur relative du travail exécuté par les classifications à prédominance féminine par rapport à celles à prédominance masculine : par. 13(2).
Le Conseil du Trésor et le Syndicat sont aussi tenus par le par. 13(2) de tenter de parvenir à un accord relativement aux iniquités entre les classifications à prédominance féminine et celles à prédominance masculine. [13] Après l’application du système d’évaluation des postes, le Conseil du Trésor est tenu de déterminer les redressements de rémunération à verser aux classifications à prédominance féminine et la manière par laquelle cela sera fait au sein de l’unité de négociation : par. 13(3) . [14] Il est significatif que le Conseil du Trésor doive s’assurer que « le point sur le processus de mise en œuvre de l’équité salariale ainsi que sur le résultat du processus soit fait de temps à autre » et que les employés concernés en soient informés : art. 16.
Le Conseil du Trésor est également tenu de donner un avis écrit de sa décision : par. 13(3). [15] Contrairement à ses pendants de l’Ontario et du Québec, la Loi de 2009 sur l’équité salariale du Nouveau-Brunswick ne prévoit pas expressément un droit individuel d’appel ou un droit individuel de porter plainte quant à la mise en œuvre de l’équité salariale. En Ontario, un employé individuel peut porter plainte sous le régime de l’ art. 22 de la
Loi sur l’équité salariale , L.R.O. 1990, ch. P.7. B. Le processus de mise en œuvre de l’équité salariale dans la présente affaire [16] À la fin de l’année 2014, le Conseil du Trésor a entrepris un examen sur l’équité salariale des professionnels des sciences médicales et des professionnels spécialisés en soins de santé. Il a convenu avec le Syndicat qu’ils exécuteraient leurs obligations d’origine législative respectives par l’entremise de deux comités composés de représentants du Conseil du Trésor et du Syndicat.
Cet accord a été énoncé dans un document intitulé [TRADUCTION] « Équité salariale – paramètres de l’évaluation des postes ». [17] Les paramètres n’ont pas été communiqués à l’ensemble des membres des Professionnels des sciences médicales et des Professionnels spécialisés en soins de santé préalablement à leur adoption, et ils n’ont pas non plus été ratifiés par un vote des membres en général. [18] Les deux comités constitués par les paramètres étaient le comité directeur mixte sur l’équité salariale et le comité d’évaluation. Le comité directeur allait superviser le travail du comité d’évaluation.
Les décisions rendues par le comité directeur exigeaient le consensus de représentants à la fois du Syndicat et du Conseil du Trésor. Les décisions en matière d’évaluation des postes rendues par le comité d’évaluation exigeaient une décision unanime du comité au complet.
[19] En exerçant leurs fonctions respectives prévues par les par. 12(1) , 13(1) et 13(2) de la Loi de 2009 sur l’équité salariale , le comité d’évaluation évaluait chacune des classifications de poste alors que le comité directeur : (1) déterminait les comparateurs masculins à utiliser dans l’étude; (2) créait un sondage auquel devaient répondre les membres et qui s’intitulait le [TRADUCTION] Questionnaire sur l’équité salariale; (3) pondérait les critères établis par le comité d’évaluation; et (4) une fois les résultats du questionnaire réunis, déterminait les iniquités entre les classifications à prédominance féminine et celles à prédominance masculine. [20] Dans le cadre de la procédure prévue par les par. 13(1) et 13(2), le Conseil du Trésor a diffusé le questionnaire sur l’équité salariale.
La plupart, mais non la totalité, des membres des Professionnels des sciences médicales et des Professionnels spécialisés en soins de santé ont reçu le questionnaire. [21] Le 26 octobre 2016, le Conseil du Trésor et le Syndicat se sont entendus sur les iniquités relevées par le processus d’évaluation de l’équité salariale entre les classifications à prédominance féminine et masculine. [22] Le 1 er juin 2017, le Conseil du Trésor a informé le Syndicat de sa décision quant aux redressements de rémunération.
Le 27 juin 2017, les membres des Professionnels des sciences médicales et des Professionnels spécialisés en soins de santé ont été informés de cette décision lorsqu’elle a été rendue publique. [23] Avant que la décision du Conseil du Trésor ait été communiquée au public et aux employés concernés, le Syndicat avait convenu que tous les points en litige avaient été réglés.
Toutefois, ce fait n’avait pas été communiqué aux membres des Professionnels des sciences médicales et des Professionnels spécialisés en soins de santé. [24] Après avoir examiné la décision du Conseil du Trésor quant aux redressements de rémunération, les appelants ont relevé plusieurs anomalies, y compris les suivantes : (1) certaines classifications de postes n’avaient pas reçu un redressement, même si elles étaient équivalentes à des classifications de postes qui en avaient pourtant reçu un; (2) le redressement accordé pour certaines classifications de postes était inférieur à celui qui avait été accordé pour certaines classifications visant un travail ayant une valeur égale ou moindre; (3) il existait d’importants écarts dans la rémunération au sein d’une même [TRADUCTION] « famille de classification »; et (4) des employés occupant des postes de niveau supérieur étaient moins rémunérés que des employés occupant des postes de niveau inférieur au sein d’une même famille de classification. [25] Il est déclaré dans les requêtes sous-jacentes en révision judiciaire qu’une partie, sinon la totalité, de ces anomalies découlent de problèmes d’ordre procédural dans le déroulement de l’étude sur l’équité salariale, qui ont entraîné des manquements au devoir d’agir équitablement.
Les requêtes mentionnent plusieurs exemples d’iniquité dans la procédure, y compris le contenu du questionnaire sur l’équité salariale, la façon qu’il a été distribué et recueilli, et le processus employé pour (1) évaluer les facteurs appliqués dans l’analyse; (2) choisir le poids à accorder à chacune de ces évaluations; (3) déterminer les comparateurs masculins; et (4) cerner les iniquités entre les classifications à prédominance masculine et celles à prédominance féminine. [26] Les appelants allèguent que les exemples suivants d’irrégularités de procédure ont entraîné des manquements au devoir d’agir équitablement : (1) certains membres n’ont pas reçu le questionnaire sur l’équité salariale, y compris certains membres qui étaient à l’époque en congé, notamment en congé de maternité; (2) différents membres ont reçu des directives différentes sur la façon de remplir le questionnaire; (3) le temps accordé aux membres pour remplir le questionnaire était insuffisant; (4) des renseignements incomplets ont été donnés aux membres sur la façon dont le questionnaire allait être utilisé ou sur le fait que celui-ci pourrait avoir une incidence sur leur taux de rémunération; (5) le questionnaire contenait des questions ambiguës et n’indiquait pas clairement comment le remplir; (6) dans certains cas, des gestionnaires ont modifié les réponses données par des membres au questionnaire, ou ont exercé une influence sur celles-ci; (7) les cotes accordées en fonction de renseignements subjectifs n’ont pas été comparées avec des renseignements objectifs qui étaient disponibles; et (8) aucun suivi n’a été effectué lorsque des réponses aux questionnaires étaient incomplètes ou lorsque des gestionnaires avaient fourni des renseignements qui étaient différents des réponses données au questionnaire par les membres. [27] Dans leur avis d’appel, les appelants affirment que le juge saisi de la requête a commis une erreur de droit : (1) en concluant qu’ils n’avaient pas qualité pour agir par le dépôt de requêtes en révision judiciaire de la décision du 27 juin 2017 du Conseil du Trésor; et (2) en appliquant l’arrêt Noël c.
Société d’énergie de la Baie James , 2001 CSC 39 , [2001] 2 R.C.S. 207 , ou, subsidiairement, en omettant de conclure que les requêtes en révision judiciaire étaient visées par une exception reconnue aux principes énoncés dans l’arrêt Noël . Les appelants soutiennent en outre que le juge a commis une erreur de fait ou une erreur mixte de fait et de droit lorsqu’il a conclu qu’il existait d’autres recours pour contrer toute injustice dans le processus de mise en œuvre de l’équité salariale ayant mené à la décision du Conseil du Trésor du 27 juin 2017.
De toute évidence, les motifs de la Cour ont abordé cette dernière préoccupation.
[28] Comme nous l’avons noté dans notre introduction, avant l’audience d’appel, la Cour a demandé aux parties de traiter la question de l’applicabilité du par. 92(5) de la Loi relative aux relations de travail dans les services publics . Un débat approfondi sur cette question a eu lieu durant l’audience. En fin de compte, et après mûre délibération, nous concluons que le par. 95(2) s’applique et, par conséquent, qu’il écarte la compétence de la Cour du Banc de la Reine pour se saisir des plaintes présentées par les appelants. III.
Analyse [29] Les paragraphes 92(1) , (4) et (5) de la Loi relative aux relations de travail dans les services publics sont au cœur du débat en appel sur la compétence. Ils prévoient ce qui suit :
92(1) Every collective agreement shall bedeemed to contain the following provision: “Where a difference arises between theparties relating to the
interpretation,application or administration of thisagreement or an arbitral award binding on theparties, including any question as to whethera matter is adjudicable, or where an allegationis made that this agreement or an arbitralaward binding on the parties has beenviolated, either of the parties may, afterexhausting any grievance procedureestablished by this agreement or the arbitralaward, notify the other party in writing of itsdesire to submit the difference or allegation toadjudication.
The parties shall, within sevendays after the receipt by the other party ofsuch notice, appoint an adjudicator to hearand determine the difference or allegation. Ifwithin such period of time the parties fail toappoint an adjudicator, the appointment shall,on the written request of either party, be madeby the Labour and Employment Board. Theadjudicator shall hear and determine thedifference or allegation and shall issue adecision.
The decision is final and binding onthe parties and on any employee affected byit.” […] 92(4) Notwithstanding subsection (1), anemployee is not entitled to refer a grievanceto adjudication in accordance with subsection(1) unless the bargaining agent for thebargaining unit signifies in writing (
c) its approval of the reference of thegrievance to adjudication, and (
d) its willingness to represent theemployee. 92(5) Notwithstanding subsection (4), anemployee may refer to adjudication agrievance arising out of any action resultingin discharge, suspension or financial penaltywhere the bargaining agent refuses to signifyits approval, but in that case the employeeshall pay the bargaining agent’s share of thecosts in relation to the adjudication asdetermined in accordance with
section 98. 92(1) Chaque convention collective estréputée contenir la disposition suivante : « Lorsqu’un désaccord survient entre lesparties relativement à l’interprétation,l’application ou l’administration de laprésente convention ou d’une sentencearbitrable liant les parties, y compris toutequestion à savoir si une affaire est arbitrable,ou lorsqu’une allégation est faite établissantque la présente convention ou qu’unesentence arbitrale liant les parties a été violée,l’une ou l’autre des parties peut, après avoirépuisé toute procédure de grief établie par laprésente convention ou la sentence arbitrale,aviser l’autre
partie par écrit de son désir deprésenter le désaccord ou l’allégation àl’arbitrage. Les parties doivent dans les septjours qui suivent la réception par l’autre partiede cet avis, nommer un arbitre pour entendreet décider le désaccord ou l’allégation. Sidans ce délai les parties font défaut denommer un arbitre, la nomination doit, à lademande écrite de l’une ou l’autre des parties,être faite par la Commission du travail et del’emploi. L’arbitre doit entendre et décider ledésaccord ou l’allégation et doit rendre unedécision.
La décision est finale et définitivepour les parties et pour tout employé affectépar elle. » […] 92(4) Nonobstant le paragraphe (1), unemployé n’a pas le droit de renvoyer un griefà l’arbitrage conformément au paragraphe (1)à moins que l’agent négociateur de l’unité denégociation ne signifie par écrit
c) qu’il approuve le renvoi du grief àl’arbitrage, et
d) qu’il est disposé à représenterl’employé. 92(5) Nonobstant le paragraphe (4), unemployé peut renvoyer à l’arbitrage un griefdécoulant d’une action entraînant lecongédiement, la suspension ou une peinepécuniaire lorsque l’agent négociateur refusede signifier son approbation, mais auquel casl’employé doit payer la part des frais del’agent négociateur relativement à l’arbitragetelle que déterminée conformément àl’article 98. [30] Dans l’arrêt Weber c.
Ontario Hydro, (SCC), [1995] 2 R.C.S. 929, [1995] A.C.S. no 59 (QL), la Cour suprême du Canada a retenu le point de vue selon lequel les dispositions en matière d’arbitrage telles que lepar. 92(1) doivent être interprétées de manière à englober tout litige qui, dans son essence, relève de l’interprétation, de l’application, de
l’administration ou de la violation de la convention collective, [TRADUCTION] « y compris les litiges qui visent une loi ou la Charte » (voir Donald J.M. Brown et David M. Beatty, Canadian Labour Arbitration, 4e éd. (Toronto : Thomson Reuters, 2014), (feuillets mobiles, publication no 39), ch. 2, à la p. 2100). À notre avis, le litige sous-jacent se rapporte à l’administration et à l’application desconventions collectives visant les appelants. Par conséquent, il tombe dans le champ d’application du par. 92(1).
Nous sommeségalement d’avis que la décision quant aux redressements de rémunération constitue une action entraînant une peine pécuniaire au sensdu par. 92(5). Nous entamons la discussion avec un examen de la jurisprudence portant sur le sens du terme « peine pécuniaire ». [31] Dans la décision Re Malcolm (1977), (NB CA), 17 R.N.-B. (2e) 137, [1977] A.N.-B. no 77 (C.A.) (QL), rendue avant l’entrée en vigueur de la Charte, M. Malcolm et trois de ses collègues de travail ont déposé desgriefs auprès de leur employeur, la Division de l’aménagement rural du ministère de l’Agriculture.
Ils soutenaient que le sous-ministreles avait privés, [TRADUCTION] « comme une forme de mesure disciplinaire », de prestations financières approuvées par le Conseil duTrésor, car il était insatisfait des activités de la Division.
Les plaignants soutenaient que le fait de retenir ces prestations constituait une« peine pécuniaire ». [32] La réponse de l’employeur était essentiellement la même dans tous les cas : les prestationsfinancières en question étaient discrétionnaires et on ne pouvait qualifier le refus de les octroyer de mesure disciplinaire. [33] Les employés concernés ont renvoyé leurs griefs à l’arbitrage. Toutefois, l’arbitre a déclinécompétence après avoir conclu que les griefs ne tombaient pas dans le champ d’application de l’al. 92(1)
b) de la Loi relative auxrelations de travail dans les services publics, tel qu’il était libellé à l’époque : 92(1) Lorsqu’un employé a porté son grief au plus haut palier de la procédure applicable aux griefs, en ce qui concerne […]
b) une mesure disciplinaire entraînant le congédiement, la suspension ou une peine pécuniaire, et que son grief n’a pas été réglé de façon satisfaisante pour lui, il peut […] renvoyer ce grief à l’arbitrage. […] [Nous avons souligné.] [34] L’arbitre a déterminé que les mesures prises par l’employeur ne sauraient [TRADUCTION]« faire l’objet d’un renvoi à l’arbitrage sous le régime de l’article 92 » : [TRADUCTION]D’après la totalité de la preuve, je suis convaincu que le fait de priver les plaignants des différents redressements ou augmentations desalaire constituait une forme de mesure disciplinaire.
Il ne fait aucun doute que le Ministère était insatisfait du rendement de chaqueplaignant et que les augmentations de salaire ont été refusées en conséquence. Une telle mesure constitue effectivement, à mon avis, uneforme de mesure disciplinaire. La prochaine question à trancher est celle de savoir si une telle mesure tombe dans le champ d’application de l’alinéa 92(1)b), pouvantainsi à bon droit faire l’objet d’un renvoi à l’arbitrage.
Je suis convaincu, au vu de la preuve, que les différentes augmentations de salaire, qui font l’objet des plaintes, relèvent entièrement dupouvoir discrétionnaire du ministère en cause, de son sous-chef ou du Conseil du Trésor. Le refus de les accorder, même pour des raisonsdisciplinaires, qui semblent être le seul motif du refus, ne constitue pas l’imposition d’une peine pécuniaire.
Un employé n’a pasautomatiquement droit à de telles augmentations et, à mon avis, un examen de l’exercice du pouvoir discrétionnaire déborderait le cadredu rôle d’un arbitre. [Cité dans Malcolm, au par. 9.] [Nous avons souligné.] Nous nous empressons de faire remarquer comment la présente affaire se distingue facilement de l’arrêt Malcolm : les appelantsaffirment avoir automatiquement droit aux redressements de rémunération au
titre de la Loi de 2009 sur l’équité salariale et de l’art. 15de la Charte. Contrairement à M. Malcolm, les prestations qu’ils sollicitent ne sont pas discrétionnaires.
[35] De toute façon, M. Malcolm et ses coplaignants ont sollicité une ordonnance de certiorari annulant la décision de l’arbitre. Le juge saisi de la requête a conclu que l’arbitre avait commis une erreur susceptible de révision lorsqu’il a conclu que le refus d’octroyer les prestations financières, en particulier les augmentations de salaire et les augmentations en fonction du coût de la vie, n’a pas donné lieu à une « peine pécuniaire ».
Dans l’esprit du juge siégeant en révision, le terme « peine » comprenait tout désavantage ou toute perte résultant directement d’une ligne de conduite quelconque. [36] En appel, toutefois, la Cour a infirmé sa décision.
Ce faisant, elle a mentionné le sens ordinaire du terme « peine », à savoir [TRADUCTION] « une punition imposée pour une violation d’une loi, d’une règle ou d’un contrat; une perte, une incapacité ou un désavantage quelconque, devant être infligé en application d’une loi pour une infraction quelconque ou subi, sur convention des parties à un contrat, pour violation du contrat; parfois, le paiement d’une somme d’argent pourra être ordonné dans un tel cas ».
La Cour a par la suite ajouté ce qui suit : [TRADUCTION] Étant donné que la règle fondamentale de l’interprétation veut que les mots employés dans une loi doivent recevoir leur sens ordinaire, cette dernière définition de « peine » doit être préférée à celle utilisée par le juge de première instance.
Il s’ensuit donc que, si les augmentations de salaire et les augmentations en fonction du coût de la vie n’ont pas été refusées aux intimés pour les punir pour avoir violé une loi, une règle ou un contrat, ou pour les punir pour avoir commis une infraction quelconque, il n’y avait aucune « mesure disciplinaire entraînant […] une peine pécuniaire », même si le refus pouvait être qualifié de « disciplinaire », ce qui donnerait droit aux intimés de renvoyer leurs griefs à l’arbitrage sous le régime de l’al. 92(1)
b) de la Loi , et puisque la compétence de l’arbitre lui est conférée par la Loi , il doit se limiter aux griefs faisant
partie des catégories de griefs pour lesquelles l’arbitrage est prévu. […] La documentation qui nous a été présentée en appel indique que l’octroi et le refus d’octroyer la totalité des augmentations de salaire et des augmentations en fonction du coût de la vie dont les intimés ont été privés visent des sommes d’argent auxquelles ils n’ont pas automatiquement droit, puisqu’elles sont accordées uniquement à la discrétion de l’employeur.
En outre, même si l’octroi de telles augmentations à un employé peut être considéré comme une récompense pour l’exécution satisfaisante de ses fonctions, le refus de les octroyer n’impose aucune peine pécuniaire à l’employé qui en est privé, au sens du terme employé au par. 92(1) de la Loi , et, par conséquent, l’arbitre n’avait aucune compétence dans cette affaire. [par. 10 et 20] [37] Il peut être opportun de souligner le point crucial que l’al. 92(1)
b) a été par la suite remplacé par une disposition libellée différemment, à savoir le par. 92(5) , que nous reproduisons par souci de commodité : 92
(5) Notwithstanding subsection (4), an employee may refer to adjudication a grievance arising out of any action resulting in discharge, suspension or financial penalty where the bargaining agent refuses to signify its approval, but in that case the employee shall pay the bargaining agent’s share of the costs in relation to the adjudication as determined in accordance with
section 98. [Emphasis added.] 92
(5) Nonobstant le paragraphe (4), un employé peut renvoyer à l’arbitrage un grief découlant d’une action entraînant le congédiement, la suspension ou une peine pécuniaire lorsque l’agent négociateur refuse de signifier son approbation, mais auquel cas l’employé doit payer la part des frais de l’agent négociateur relativement à l’arbitrage telle que déterminée conformément à l’article 98. [Nous avons souligné.] [38] Notre devoir en matière d’interprétation est de rechercher « l’intention du législateur en examinant les termes d’une loi dans leur contexte global et suivant le sens ordinaire et grammatical qui s’harmonise avec l’économie et l’objet de la loi » : Colombie-Britannique c.
Phillip Morris International, Inc. , 2018 CSC 36 , [2018] A.C.S. n o 36 (QL) , le juge Brown, s’exprimant au nom de la Cour. Comme on peut le dégager du libellé du par. 92(5) , celui-ci autorise maintenant les griefs découlant à la fois de mesures disciplinaires et non disciplinaires de la part de l’employeur. Manifestement, le législateur a modifié l’al. 92(2)
b) afin d’élargir la catégorie de griefs arbitrables sous son régime. La présence du terme « disciplinaire » à l’al. 92(2)
b) n’était pas superflue, et son omission du par. 92(5) était tout aussi intentionnelle. L’élimination du qualificatif « disciplinaire » : (1) ouvre la voie aux griefs mettant en cause toutes les actions d’un employeur entraînant le congédiement, la suspension ou une peine pécuniaire, qu’elles soient de nature disciplinaire ou autre; et (2) permet de s’écarter de l’interprétation étroite donnée au terme « peine pécuniaire » dans l’arrêt Malcolm .
[39] À cet égard, nous sommes d’accord avec la décision rendue dans l’affaire New Brunswick (Department of Finance) c. Allen (1997), R.N.-B. (2e) (Supp.) no 70, [1997] A.N.-B. no 242 (C.B.R.) (QL). Dans cette affaire, le griefavait trait au défaut de l’employeur de confier du travail à l’employé. L’arbitre a entendu et autorisé le grief de M.
Allen en vertu dupar. 92(5), et il lui a accordé [TRADUCTION] « la totalité des salaires, de l’ancienneté et des avantages sociaux qui lui reviendraient s’ilavait été employé du 17 décembre 1993 au 28 mars 1994, et du 15 avril 1994 au 22 janvier 1995 ». [40] En révision judiciaire, le ministère des Finances a affirmé que l’arbitre avait commis une erreuren concluant qu’il avait compétence en vertu du par. 92(5) pour entendre et trancher le grief. Il en était ainsi, prétendait le ministère, carM. Allen n’avait pas subi de « peine pécuniaire ».
Le juge Russell n’était pas du même avis, et ce, pour les motifs suivants : [TRADUCTION]En raison du paragraphe 92(4) de la Loi relative aux relations de travail dans les services publics, L.R.N.-B. 1973, ch. P-25, ensembleses modifications, il est interdit à un employé de renvoyer un grief à l’arbitrage sans avoir obtenu l’approbation de l’agent négociateur.L’agent négociateur en l’espèce n’a pas donné son approbation.
Il existe une exception à cet obstacle, qui est énoncée au par. 92(5) : Nonobstant le paragraphe (4), un employé peut renvoyer à l’arbitrage un grief découlant d’une action entraînant le congédiement, lasuspension ou une peine pécuniaire lorsque l’agent négociateur refuse de signifier son approbation, mais auquel cas l’employé doit payerla part des frais de l’agent négociateur relativement à l’arbitrage telle que déterminée conformément à l’article 98.
En assumant la compétence, l’arbitre a affirmé que [TRADUCTION] « le fait d’être incapable de gagner un salaire durant cette périodeconstituerait une peine pécuniaire ». Le requérant soutient maintenant que l’arbitre a mal interprété la preuve lorsqu’il a déterminé [TRADUCTION] « que la questionrenvoyée à l’arbitrage concerne une mesure disciplinaire ». Le requérant invoque Re Malcolm (1977), (NB CA), 17 R.N.-B. (2e) 137, et La Reine c. Robb, (FCA), [1982] 2 C.F. 58.
Dans l’arrêt Malcolm (précité), la dispositionattributive de compétence énonce ce qui suit : 92(1) Lorsqu’un employé a porté son grief au plus haut palier de la procédure applicable aux griefs, en ce qui concerne
b) une mesure disciplinaire entraînant le congédiement, la suspension ou une peine pécuniaire, et que son grief n’a pas été réglé de façon satisfaisante pour lui, il peut, sous réserve du paragraphe (2), renvoyer ce grief à l’arbitrage. Une disposition semblable était en jeu dans l’arrêt Robb (précité). L’arbitre en l’espèce n’a pas conclu à l’existence d’une mesure disciplinaire. Lorsque les dispositions législatives invoquées dans lesarrêts Malcolm et Robb ainsi que le paragraphe 92(5) (précité) sont placés côte à côte, il est manifeste que les deux premiers diffèrentconsidérablement du paragraphe 92(5).
Le seul critère à remplir en l’espèce était une conclusion qu’il y avait une peine pécuniaire. Ladiscipline n’est pas une condition préalable à une telle conclusion. Dans cette mesure, les arrêts Malcolm et Robb (précité
s) ne sont paspertinents. Lorsqu’il tranche cette question, l’arbitre doit en arriver à une décision correcte. Voir : Conseil de l’éducation de Toronto c. Fédération des enseignants-enseignantes des écoles secondaires de l’Ontario, district 15, (SCC), [1997] A.C.S. no 27 (QL), aupar. 39. Je suis convaincu que l’arbitre a correctement interprété le paragraphe 92(5) de la Loi relative aux relations de travail dans les servicespublics (précitée), qui l’habilitait à entendre un grief présenté par M. Allen sans passer par son agent négociateur. [par. 13 à 19] [Nous avons souligné.]
[41] Nous constatons que la décision rendue dans l’affaire Allen a été appliquée dans lajurisprudence arbitrale (voir Lawton c. New Brunswick (Board of Management) (Collective Agreement Grievance), [2000] N.B.L.A.A.No. 18 (QL), et Balram c. New Brunswick (Board of Management) (Pay Grievance), [2008] N.B.L.A.A. No. 16 (QL)). [42] Il est vrai que quelques-unes des décisions de la Cour du Banc de la Reine favorisent uneconclusion interprétative qui est incompatible avec celle adoptée dans la décision Allen (voir Thériault c. La Province duNouveau-Brunswick, telle que représenté