ENTRE : 059143 N.B. INC., a body corporate APPELLANT 059143 N.B. INC., corps constitué APPELANTE - v. -, 2014 NBCA 46
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D'APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 104-13-CA BETWEEN: ENTRE : 059143 N.B. INC., a body corporate APPELLANT 059143 N.B. INC., corps constitué APPELANTE - and - - et - 656340 N.B. INC., a body corporate RESPONDENT 656340 N.B. INC., corps constitué INTIMÉE 059143 N.B. Inc., a body corporate v. 656340 N.B. Inc., a body corporate, 2014 NBCA 46 059143 N.B. Inc., corps constitué c. 656340 N.B.
Inc., corps constitué, 2014 NBCA 46 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Robertson The Honourable Justice Bell The Honourable Justice Green CORAM : l'honorable juge Robertson l'honorable juge Bell l'honorable juge Green Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: September 26, 2013 Appel d'une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : le 26 septembre 2013 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: 2013 NBQB 312 Preliminary or incidental proceedings: [2013] N.B.J. No. 409 Décision frappée d’appel : 2013 NBBR 312 Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : [2013] N.B.J.
No. 409 Appeal heard: February 19, 2014 Appel entendu : le 19 février 2014
Judgment rendered: July 24, 2014 Jugement rendu : le 24 juillet 2014 Reasons for judgment by: The Honourable Justice Bell Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Robertson The Honourable Justice Green Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: James E. Fowler, Q.C. For the respondent: Matthew Robert Letson Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge Bell Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Robertson l’honorable juge Green Avocats à l'audience : Pour l’appelante : James E. Fowler, c.r. Pour l’intimée : Matthew Robert Letson THE COURT The appeal from
summary judgment is dismissed. The appeal from the order for specific performance is allowed. The matter is remitted to the motion judge for the assessment of damages. Given that success is divided, no costs on appeal are awarded. LA COUR L’appel formé contre le jugement
sommaire est rejeté. L’appel formé contre l’ordonnance d’exécution en nature est accueilli. L’affaire est renvoyée au juge saisi de la motion en vue de l’évaluation des dommages-intérêts. L’appelante et l’intimée ayant obtenu partiellement gain de cause, ni l’une ni l’autre n’est condamnée aux dépens de l’appel. The following is the judgment delivered by BELL, J.A. I.
Summary [ 1 ] The appellant (Brun) and the respondent (Donnelly Group) entered into an Agreement for the Purchase and Sale of a 14 acre ocean-front lot in Shediac, N.B. Brun undertook to purchase the lot from the Donnelly Group for $1.4 million and other consideration, on or before April 1, 2013. On that date, the Donnelly Group tendered a deed and other closing documents to Brun. Brun failed to tender the funds required for closing. The Donnelly Group commenced court proceedings against Brun in which it alleged breach of contract and sought, among other relief, an order for specific performance. Following the filing of Brun’s Statement of Defence, the Donnelly Group filed a motion for
summary judgment and specific performance. In a decision reported
at 2013 NBQB 312 , 409 N.B.R. (2d) 339, the motion judge allowed the motion and awarded specific performance. Brun appealed. The Donnelly Group filed a cross-appeal regarding a part of the order for specific performance. For the reasons set out below, I would dismiss the appeal from the order for
summary judgment and allow the appeal from the order for specific performance. In the circumstances, the matter of the cross-appeal is now moot. II. Position of the parties [ 2 ] Brun claims the Agreement to purchase the lot for $1.4 million was subject to two oral conditions, which were not met. The first was that the transaction would close only if Brun sold, at a profit, two apartment buildings then under construction in Dieppe. The second was that the lot would accommodate seven condominium towers.
Since neither condition was met, the Agreement is, according to Brun, null and void. [ 3 ] The Donnelly Group says the Agreement is clear. It sets out some conditions, none of which makes any reference to either of the two conditions advanced by Brun. Those other conditions include: (1) granting Brun permission to enter upon the property and conduct work prior to the closing date; (2) requiring Brun to pay the real property taxes pending the closing; and, (3) requiring Brun to pay interest at a rate of $13,000 per month from the date the Agreement was executed until closing.
The Donnelly Group asserts that, in the face of all the evidence, its claim, based upon a written contract in relation to real estate, is unanswerable. III. Facts [ 4 ] The motion judge concluded there was a valid Agreement of Purchase and Sale that was accompanied by an agreement that Brun could enter upon the lands and perform work prior to the closing date. The motion judge also concluded that all payments due under the agreement, including a $100,000 deposit and the interest payments of $13,000, were paid by Brun to the Donnelly Group up to the time of default.
In response to Brun’s suggestion that its principals were unsophisticated and lacking knowledge about such transactions, the motion judge said, “I find that given the scope of the projects they were involved in, they were in fact knowledgeable businessmen who dealt with substantial construction and land purchase contracts” (para. 30).
With respect to Brun’s contention that the closing of the transaction was subject to the sale of the Dieppe properties at a profit, the motion judge observed, “It is not even clear as to the amount of profit that would be required before the purchase and sale […] could be finalized” (para. 32).
The trial judge concluded that it did “not make sense” that a condition could exist requiring the sale of the Dieppe properties at an undisclosed profit (para. 34). [ 5 ] While the motion judge rejected Brun’s assertion that the Agreement was conditional upon the sale of the Dieppe properties, he failed to address Brun’s contention that the sale was also conditional upon the property being zoned to accommodate seven condominium towers. Given the motion judge’s failure to address this issue, it is open to this Court to make the findings necessary to dispose of the appeal: Rule 62.21(1) of the Rules of Court .
I do so now. The Agreement contains no reference to any zoning requirements or any requirement that the property be suitable for a particular development. Similarly, there is no reference to zoning or suitability for any purpose in either the letter of intent or the draft offer to purchase, both of which were prepared by Brun.
Also, I note that both affiants in support of Brun’s position stated that aside from minor work on the land, the only monies they considered at risk were the deposit and the twelve $13,000 payments. [6] John Murray, the lawyer for the Donnelly Group, deposed that “at no time before, at or after the November 10 th meeting” did Brun request that it be made a condition of the Agreement that the property was “suitable for development intended” by Brun (para. 22). [7] Given all of the evidence, I find there was no condition that the property be suitable for the development of seven condominium towers. [8] The Agreement contemplates a sale price of $1.4 million with a $100,000 deposit.
The balance of $1.3 million is to be paid on closing. In addition, Brun is required to pay: (1) interest on the balance at 1% per month, being $13,000 monthly from May 1, 2012 to April 1, 2013 inclusive; (2) property taxes from the date of signing of the Agreement; (3) costs, penalties, and fines that might arise from occupation of the lands prior to closing; and (4) all environmental damages that might arise as a result of early occupation of the lands. Article 11(2) of the Agreement provides, in part, as follows: […] All payments made under this agreement are non-refundable.
Failure by the purchaser to make any and all payments provided in this agreement will render this agreement null and void and the Vendor shall be permitted to retain all sums paid under this agreement as
liquidated damages and not as a penalty. [9] In three of the five paragraphs in the Statement of Claim, the Donnelly Group pleads theAgreement of Purchase and Sale. Paragraphs 1 and 2 are limited to the identity of the parties. In his Statement of Defence andCounterclaim, Brun denies the existence of the Agreement and requests a refund of the deposit and interest paid. IV. Analysis A.
Summary Judgment [10] The decisions in Ripulone v. Pontecorvo (1989), (NB CA), 104 N.B.R. (2d)56, [1989] N.B.J. No. 1138 (C.A.) (QL) and Cannon v. Lange (1998), (NB CA), 203 N.B.R. (2d) 121, [1998] N.B.J.No. 313 (C.A.) (QL), remain the leading authorities on the issue of
summary judgment. For purposes of the present analysis, I wouldlimit myself to restating the following principles from those cases: (1) the moving party’s case must be unanswerable; (2) it is notappropriate to grant
summary judgment where there is an unresolved genuine credibility conflict relating to a material question; and (3)the court has an obligation to consider not only the pleadings, but also all admissible evidence. [11] In those cases where the application for
summary judgment raises a question of law alone, ascontemplated by Rule 22.04(3), the standard of review is correctness. Where, as here, the issue is one of mixed fact and law, absent anextricable error in principle, the findings should not be overturned except for palpable and overriding error: Housen v. Nikolaisen, 2002SCC 33, [2002] 2 S.C.R. 235, at para. 36. There is no such error in the present case. See also Hryniak v. Mauldin, 2014 SCC 7, [2014]S.C.J.
No. 7 (QL), at para. 81. [12] In view of the findings of fact made by the trial judge and my finding related to the zoningissue, I am of the opinion the plaintiff’s case was wholly unanswerable. The trial judge did not err in this regard. Furthermore, theevidence does not raise a genuine issue of credibility. The deponents on behalf of the Donnelly Group were unequivocal in their claimthere were no conditions such as those advanced by Brun. Their evidence in that regard was corroborated by the documentary evidencebefore the motion judge and this Court.
The conditions specifically enumerated in the Agreement and Brun’s partial completion of theterms of the contract militate in favour of the credibility finding made by the motion judge. In addition, not only did Brun’s deponentscandidly acknowledge that they took steps to limit their losses in the event the transaction did not close, they both admit that their firstimpression when the transaction failed to close was that their losses would be limited. Their first impression was not that they werespared liability because of “failed conditions”. [13] I would dismiss the appeal from the order for
summary judgment. B. Specific Performance [14] It is trite law that specific performance will only be awarded in circumstances where monetarydamages would not constitute an adequate remedy. Historically, the common law, in matters involving real estate, presumed theinadequacy of damages. However, that principle was qualified in Semelhago v. Paramadevan, (SCC), [1996] 2 S.C.R.415, [1996] S.C.J. No. 71 (QL): […] While at one time the common law regarded every piece of real estate to be unique, with the progress of modern real estatedevelopment this is no longer the case.
Residential, business and industrial properties are all mass produced much in the same way asother consumer products. If a deal falls through for one property, another is frequently, though not always, readily available. It is no longer appropriate, therefore, to maintain a distinction in the approach to specific performance as between realty and personalty.It cannot be assumed that damages for breach of contract for the purchase and sale of real estate will be an inadequate remedy in allcases. The common law recognized that the distinction might not be valid when the land had no peculiar or special value.
In Adderley v.Dixon (1824), 1 Sim. & St. 607, 57 E.R. 239, Sir John Leach, V.C., stated (at p. 240):
Courts of Equity decree the specific performance of contracts, not upon any distinction between realty and personalty, but becausedamages at law may not, in the particular case, afford a complete remedy. Thus a Court of Equity decrees performance of a contract forland, not because of the real nature of the land, but because damages at law, which must be calculated upon the general money value ofland, may not be a complete remedy to the purchaser, to whom the land may have a peculiar and special value.
Courts have tended, however, to simply treat all real estate as being unique and to decree specific performance unless there was someother reason for refusing equitable relief. See Roberto v. Bumb, (ON CA), [1943] O.R. 299 (C.A.), at p. 311; KloepferWholesale Hardware and Automotive Co. v. Roy, (SCC), [1952] 2 S.C.R. 465; Nepean Carleton Developments Ltd. v.Hope, (SCC), [1978] 1 S.C.R. 427, at p. 438. Some courts, however, have begun to question the assumption thatdamages will afford an inadequate remedy for breach of contract for the purchase of land. In Chaulk v.
Fairview Construction Ltd.(1977), 14 Nfld. & P.E.I.R. 13, the Newfoundland Court of Appeal (per Gushue J.A.), after quoting the above passage from Adderley v.Dixon, stated, at p. 21: The question here is whether damages would have afforded Chaulk an adequate remedy, and I have no doubt that they could, and would,have. There was nothing whatever unique or irreplaceable about the houses and lots bargained for.
They were merely subdivision lotswith houses, all of the same general design, built on them, which the respondent was purchasing for investment or re-sale purposes only.He had sold the first two almost immediately at a profit, and intended to do the same with the remainder. It would be quite different ifwe were dealing with a house or houses which were of a particular architectural design, or were situated in a particularly desirablelocation, but this was certainly not the case.
Specific performance should, therefore, not be granted as a matter of course absent evidence that the property is unique to the extent thatits substitute would not be readily available. The guideline proposed by Estey J. in Asamera Oil Corp. v. Seal Oil & General Corp., (SCC), [1979] 1 S.C.R. 633, with respect to contracts involving chattels is equally applicable to real property.
At p. 668, EsteyJ. stated: Before a plaintiff can rely on a claim to specific performance so as to insulate himself from the consequences of failing to procurealternate property in mitigation of his losses, some fair, real and substantial justification for his claim to performance must be found. A similar position has been taken by the British Columbia Supreme Court in McNabb v. Smith (1981), (BC SC), 124D.L.R. (3d) 547, at p. 551. [paras. 20-22] [Emphasis added.] See also Southcott Estates Inc. v.
Toronto Catholic District School Board, 2012 SCC 51, [2012] 2 S.C.R. 675, at para. 38; and Martin(M.R.) Construction Inc. v. Doaktown Transport Ltd. et al. (2006), (NB CA), 304 N.B.R.(2d) 236, [2006] N.B.J. No.93 (C.A.) (QL). This case is anomalous in that it is the vendor who is seeking specific performance. [15] I would make the following observations regarding the award of specific performance in thiscase. First, the motion judge undertook no analysis to determine whether monetary damages would be adequate.
Second, while specificperformance is available to a vendor in a real estate transaction, the vendor’s claim to such relief is normally much weaker than thepurchaser’s: Robert J. Sharpe, Injunctions and Specific Performance, loose-leaf, (Toronto: Canada Law Book, 2008) p. 8-11, §8.220. Inthe event specific performance is presumptively available to vendors, the duty to mitigate becomes somewhat illusory. Nothing wouldprevent the vendor from “sitting” on his or her rights rather than aggressively attempting to mitigate: Sharpe, p.8-10, §8.140; Ansdell v.Crowther, (BC CA), [1984] B.C.J.
No. 1751 (C.A.) (QL), at para. 32; Garbens v. Khayami, (ONSC), [1994] O.J. No. 317 (Gen. Div) (QL). Third, I am of the view the language of the Agreement in relation to the termination of thecontract and liquidated damages supports Brun’s position. While the first part of Article 11(2) of the Agreement relates to the monthlyinterest payments payable by Brun to the Donnelly Group, the latter part refers to the result that follows should Brun not make “any andall payments provided in this agreement”.
The Agreement contemplates at least six types of payments: the deposit; the monthly interest;taxes; costs, fines and penalties; environmental damages; and the closing amount. The Agreement sets out a potential remedy, which doesnot include specific performance, should Brun fail to make any one of those payments. Given all of the above, I am of the view theclaim for specific performance is unavailable to the Donnelly Group. That relief ought not to have been awarded by the motion judge. V. Conclusion [16] In conclusion, I would dismiss the appeal from the motion judge’s order for
summary judgment.I would, however, allow the appeal from the order for specific performance and remit the matter to the motion judge for the assessment
of damages. Given that success is divided, I would not award costs on appeal or on the motion in the Court of Queen’s Bench. _________________________________ B. RICHARD BELL, J.A. WE CONCUR ________________________________ J.T. ROBERTSON, J.A. ________________________________ BRADLEY V. GREEN, J.A. Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par LE JUGE BELL I. Résumé [1] Les parties appelante (Brun) et intimée (le groupe Donnelly) ont conclu une convention en vue de l’achat-vente d’un lot côtier de quatorze acres situé à Shediac (Nouveau-Brunswick).
Brun s’est engagé à l’acheter au groupe Donnelly en contrepartie notamment de la somme de 1,4 million de dollars, au plus tard le 1 er avril 2013. Ce jour-là, le groupe Donnelly a présenté à Brun un acte de transfert et d’autres documents de clôture. Brun n’a pas présenté la somme requise. Le groupe Donnelly a intenté à Brun une poursuite pour rupture de contrat et réclamé, entre autres mesures réparatoires, une ordonnance d’exécution en nature. Après le dépôt de l’exposé de la défense de Brun, le groupe Donnelly a demandé, par voie de motion, un jugement
sommaire et l’exécution en nature. Le juge saisi de la motion l’a accueillie et a accordé l’exécution en nature ( 2013 NBBR 312 , 409 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 339). Brun en a appelé. Le groupe Donnelly a déposé un appel reconventionnel portant sur une
partie de l’ordonnance d’exécution en nature. Pour les motifs exposés ci-après, je suis d’avis de rejeter l’appel formé contre l’ordonnance de jugement
sommaire, mais d’accueillir l’appel formé contre l’ordonnance d’exécution en nature. Dans les circonstances, la question de l’appel reconventionnel ne se pose plus. II. Prétentions des parties [2] Brun soutient que la convention qui stipulait l’achat du lot en retour de la somme de 1,4 million de dollars était assujettie à deux conditions orales qui n’ont pas été remplies. La première voulait que la clôture de l’opération n’eût lieu que si Brun vendait, à profit, deux immeubles d’appartements en construction, à Dieppe. La seconde voulait que le lot pût
recevoir sept immeubles d’habitation condominiaux. Ni l’une ni l’autre condition n’ayant été remplie, la convention est, selon Brun, nulle et non avenue. [3] Le groupe Donnelly affirme que la convention est claire. Elle stipule certaines conditions, dont aucune ne correspond à l’une ou à l’autre des deux conditions qu’allègue Brun.
Ces autres conditions sont notamment les suivantes : (1) l’octroi à Brun de la permission de pénétrer sur le bien et de réaliser des travaux avant la date de clôture; (2) le paiement par Brun de l’impôt foncier jusqu’à la clôture; (3) le paiement par Brun d’intérêts mensuels de 13 000 $ de la date de passation de la convention jusqu’à la clôture. Le groupe Donnelly affirme que, vu l’ensemble de la preuve, sa demande, fondée sur un contrat écrit en matière immobilière, est prouvée de façon irréfutable. III.
Les faits [4] Le juge saisi de la motion a conclu à une convention d’achat-vente valide, accompagnée d’une convention autorisant Brun à pénétrer sur le bien-fonds et à y réaliser des travaux avant la date de clôture. Il a aussi conclu que, jusqu’à son défaut, Brun avait versé au groupe Donnelly tous les paiements exigibles en application de la convention, dont un dépôt de 100 000 $ et des mensualités d’intérêts de 13 000 $.
Il ne lui est pas apparu que, ainsi que Brun l’avait laissé entendre, les responsables de la compagnie étaient peu versés dans ces opérations et s’y connaissaient mal : [TRADUCTION] « [J]e conclus, étant donné l’envergure des projets dans lesquels ils s’étaient engagés, qu’ils étaient au contraire des hommes d’affaires avisés, qui s’étaient attaqués à des contrats d’achat de terrain et de construction importants » (par. 30).
Pour ce qui est de l’argument de Brun voulant que la clôture de l’opération ait été assujettie à la vente à profit des biens de Dieppe, le juge saisi de la motion a fait observer ce qui suit : [TRADUCTION] « Rien n’indique même clairement, non plus, quel devait être ce profit pour permettre de clore l’achat-vente » (par. 32).
Il a conclu que l’existence d’une condition qui aurait exigé la vente des biens de Dieppe à un profit dont le montant n’était pas indiqué n’avait [TRADUCTION] « aucun sens » (par. 34). [5] Si le juge saisi de la motion a rejeté l’assertion que la vente des biens de Dieppe était une condition de la convention, il n’a pas répondu, cependant, à l’argument de Brun selon lequel la vente avait aussi pour condition un zonage du bien permettant la construction de sept immeubles d’habitation condominiaux.
Étant donné que le juge ne s’est pas prononcé sur cette question, il est loisible à notre Cour de tirer les conclusions nécessaires afin de pouvoir statuer sur l’appel (règle 62.21(1), Règles de procédure ). J’y procède donc maintenant. Il n’est question nulle part dans la convention d’exigences de zonage ou d’une exigence de convenance du bien à un aménagement donné. De même, il n’est question de zonage ou de convenance à une fin donnée, ni dans la lettre d’intention, ni dans le projet d’offre d’achat, tous deux préparés par Brun.
Je constate enfin que les deux souscripteurs d’affidavits à l’appui des prétentions de Brun ont déclaré qu’ils considéraient que seuls seraient perdus, hormis le fruit de travaux mineurs réalisés sur le bien-fonds, le dépôt et les douze paiements de 13 000 $. [6] Suivant la déclaration de M e John Murray, l’avocat du groupe Donnelly, [TRADUCTION] « jamais [Brun n’a demandé] lors de la réunion du 10 novembre, ni avant ni après cette réunion », que la convention soit assortie d’une condition imposant que le bien [TRADUCTION] « convienne à l’aménagement projeté » (par. 22). [7] Compte tenu de l’ensemble de la preuve, je conclus à l’inexistence d’une condition voulant que le bien convienne à l’aménagement de sept immeubles d’habitation condominiaux. [8] La convention stipule un prix de vente de 1,4 million de dollars et prévoit un dépôt de 100 000 $ .
Le solde de 1,3 million de dollars doit être versé au moment de la clôture. Également, Brun est tenu de payer : (1) des intérêts mensuels de 1 % sur le solde, soit 13 000 $ par mois, du 1 er mai 2012 au 1 er avril 2013 inclusivement; (2) l’impôt foncier, à compter de la date de signature de la convention; (3) les frais, pénalités et amendes auxquels pourrait donner lieu l’occupation du bien-fonds avant la clôture; (4) toute somme due par suite des dommages environnementaux que pourrait entraîner l’occupation anticipée du bien-fonds.
Le paragraphe 11(4) de la convention porte, en partie, ce qui suit : [TRADUCTION] […] Les paiements effectués conformément à la présente convention ne sont pas remboursables.
En cas de défaut de l’acquéresse de réaliser les paiements qui y sont stipulés, la présente convention est nulle et non avenue, et il sera permis à la venderesse de conserver toutes les sommes reçues en exécution de la convention, tenues pour des dommages-intérêts extrajudiciaires et non pour une pénalité. [9] Dans trois des cinq paragraphes de l’exposé de la demande, le groupe Donnelly plaide la convention d’achat-vente.
Les paragraphes 1 et 2 ne portent que sur l’identité des parties. Dans son exposé de la défense et demande reconventionnelle, Brun nie l’existence de la convention et demande le remboursement du dépôt et des intérêts versés.
IV. Analyse A. Jugement
sommaire [10] Les arrêts Ripulone c. Pontecorvo (1989), (NB CA), 104 R.N.-B. (2e) 56, [1989] A.N.-B. no 1138 (C.A.) (QL), et Cannon c. Lange et al. (1998), (NB CA), 203 R.N.-B. (2e) 121, [1998] A.N.-B. no 313 (C.A.) (QL), font jurisprudence, aujourd’hui encore, en matière de jugement
sommaire. Pour les besoins de la présenteanalyse, je me limiterai à rappeler les principes suivants, qui en sont issus : (1) l’auteur de la motion doit prouver sa demande de façonirréfutable; (2) il n’y a pas lieu d’accorder un jugement
sommaire lorsqu’il subsiste un véritable conflit de crédibilité en ce qui concerneune question substantielle; (3) le tribunal a l’obligation d’examiner non seulement les plaidoiries, mais aussi tous les éléments de preuveadmissibles. [11] Dans les cas où la demande de jugement
sommaire porte sur une question de droit seulement,comme le prévoit la règle 22.04(3), la norme de contrôle est celle de la décision correcte. Lorsqu’il s’agit, comme c’est le cas enl’espèce, d’une question mixte de droit et de fait, à moins qu’une erreur de principe ne soit isolée, les conclusions ne doivent pas êtreinfirmées en l’absence d’une erreur manifeste et dominante : Housen c. Nikolaisen, 2002 CSC 33, [2002] 2 R.C.S. 235, au par. 36. Nous ne relevons aucune erreur de la sorte en l’espèce. Voir également Hryniak c.
Mauldin, 2014 CSC 7, [2014] A.C.S. no 7 (QL), au par. 81. [12] Vu les conclusions de fait du juge du procès, et vu la conclusion à laquelle j’arrive en ce quiconcerne le zonage, je suis d’avis que la demande du groupe Donnelly était prouvée de façon entièrement irréfutable. Le juge du procèsn’a pas commis d’erreur sur ce point. En outre, la preuve ne soulève pas de véritable question de crédibilité. Les déposants du groupeDonnelly ont affirmé catégoriquement que la convention n’était pas assortie des conditions que Brun alléguait.
Leur preuve, sur ce point,était corroborée par la preuve documentaire présentée au juge saisi de la motion, et dont la présente cour dispose. Les conditionsexpressément articulées dans la convention et l’exécution partielle par Brun des clauses du contrat militent en faveur de la conclusiontirée par le juge saisi de la motion quant à la crédibilité.
Par ailleurs, non seulement les déposants de Brun ont reconnu franchementqu’ils avaient pris des dispositions pour limiter leurs pertes dans l’éventualité où la clôture de l’opération n’aurait pas lieu, mais ilsadmettent tous deux qu’ils ont d’abord pensé, face à l’échec de la clôture, que leurs pertes seraient restreintes. Ils n’ont pas d’abord penséqu’ils se trouvaient soustraits à la responsabilité en raison de [TRADUCTION] « conditions non remplies ». [13] Je suis d’avis de rejeter l’appel formé contre l’ordonnance de jugement
sommaire. B. Exécution en nature [14] Il est bien établi en droit que l’exécution en nature, ou exécution intégrale, n’est accordée qu’endes circonstances où des dommages-intérêts n’apporteraient pas une réparation adéquate. Historiquement, la common law présumait, enmatière immobilière, l’inadéquation des dommages-intérêts. Des nuances ont cependant été apportées à ce principe dans l’arrêt Semelhago c.
Paramadevan, (SCC), [1996] 2 R.C.S. 415, [1996] A.C.S. no 71 (QL) : […] Même si, à une certaine époque, la common law considérait chaque bien immeuble comme étant unique, ce n’est plus le cas avecl’évolution du développement immobilier moderne. Toutes les propriétés, qu’elles soient résidentielles, commerciales ou industrielles,sont maintenant produites en série de la même façon que les autres biens de consommation. Si un marché concernant une propriétééchoue, il s’en présente souvent, mais pas toujours, un autre.
Il ne convient donc plus, en abordant la question de l’exécution intégrale, de maintenir une distinction entre biens immeubles et biensmeubles. On ne saurait présumer que des dommages-intérêts pour la rupture du contrat de vente d’un immeuble constitueront uneréparation inadéquate dans tous les cas. La common law reconnaissait que la distinction pourrait ne pas être valide lorsque le bien-fondsn’avait aucune valeur particulière. Dans Adderley c.
Dixon (1824), 1 Sim. & St. 607, 57 E.R. 239, le vice-chancelier sir John Leachaffirme (à la p. 240) : [TRADUCTION] Les tribunaux d’equity ordonnent l’exécution intégrale de contrats, non pas en raison d’une distinction entre biens immeubles et biens
meubles, mais parce qu’il se peut que les dommages-intérêts accordés en vertu de la common law, dans une affaire donnée, neconstituent pas une réparation complète. Ainsi, un tribunal d’equity ordonne l’exécution d’un contrat relatif à un terrain non pas en raisonde la nature immobilière du terrain, mais parce qu’il se peut que les dommages-intérêts en common law, qui doivent être calculés selonla valeur monétaire générale du terrain, ne constituent pas une réparation complète pour l’acquéreur pour qui ce terrain peut avoir unevaleur particulière.
Les tribunaux ont toutefois eu tendance à considérer simplement tous les biens immeubles comme étant uniques, et à ordonnerl’exécution intégrale à moins qu’il n’existe quelque autre raison de refuser une réparation fondée sur l’equity. Voir Roberto c. Bumb, (ON CA), [1943] O.R. 299 (C.A.), à la p. 311; Kloepfer Wholesale Hardware and Automotive Co. c. Roy, (SCC), [1952] 2 R.C.S. 465; Nepean Carleton Developments Ltd. c.
Hope, (SCC), [1978] 1 R.C.S. 427, à la p. 438.Certains tribunaux ont toutefois commencé à mettre en doute la présomption que des dommages-intérêts ne constitueront pas uneréparation adéquate pour la rupture d’un contrat d’achat de terrain. Dans l’arrêt Chaulk c. Fairview Construction Ltd. (1977), 14 Nfld. &P.E.I.R. 13, après avoir cité l’extrait susmentionné de l’arrêt Adderley c.
Dixon, la Cour d’appel de Terre-Neuve (le juge Gushue)affirme, à la p. 21 : [TRADUCTION] La question qui se pose ici est de savoir si des dommages-intérêts auraient pu être une réparation adéquate pour Chaulk, et je ne doutepas qu’ils auraient pu l’être et l’auraient été. Il n’y avait absolument rien d’unique ou d’irremplaçable dans les maisons et les lotsnégociés. Il s’agissait uniquement de lots sur lesquels étaient construites des maisons de même modèle général, que l’intimé achetait àdes fins de placement ou de revente seulement.
Il venait à peine de vendre les deux premières à profit, et il voulait faire de même avecles autres. Il en serait tout autrement s’il s’agissait d’une seule ou de plusieurs maisons qui présentaient une architecture particulière, ouqui étaient particulièrement bien situées, mais ce n’était certainement pas le cas en l’espèce. L’exécution intégrale ne devrait donc pas être accordée automatiquement en l’absence de preuve que le bien en cause est unique en cesens qu’il ne serait pas facile de le remplacer par un autre bien. La ligne directrice proposée par le juge Estey dans l’arrêt Asamera OilCorp. c.
Seal Oil & General Corp., (SCC), [1979] 1 R.C.S. 633, à l’égard des contrats visant des biens meubles estégalement applicable aux biens immeubles. À la page 668, le juge Estey affirme : Pour qu’un demandeur puisse invoquer une action en exécution intégrale pour justifier son omission d’acheter des biens deremplacement pour limiter le préjudice, son action en exécution intégrale doit être fondée sur des motifs équitables, réels et importants. La Cour suprême de la Colombie-Britannique a adopté un point de vue semblable dans l’arrêt McNabb c.
Smith (1981), (BC SC), 124 D.L.R. (3d) 547, à la p. 551. [Par. 20 à 22] [Je souligne.] On pourra se reporter également à Southcott Estates Inc. c. Toronto Catholic District School Board, 2012 CSC 51, [2012] 2 R.C.S. 675, au par. 38, et à Martin (M.R.) Construction Inc. c. Doaktown Transport Ltd. et al. (2006), (NB CA), 304 R.N.-B. (2e) 236, [2006] A.N.-B. no 93 (C.A.) (QL).
La présente cause est singulière, du fait que l’exécution en nature est demandée par lavenderesse. [15] L’octroi de l’exécution en nature, ici, me paraît appeler les observations suivantes.Premièrement, le juge saisi de la motion n’a pas entrepris d’analyse afin de déterminer si l’attribution de dommages-intérêts aurait étéadéquate.
Deuxièmement, bien que le vendeur puisse obtenir l’exécution en nature dans une opération immobilière, sa prétention à cettemesure réparatoire a normalement beaucoup moins de force que celle de l’acheteur (Sharpe, Robert J., Injunctions and SpecificPerformance, éd. à feuillets mobiles, Toronto, Canada Law Book, 2008, p. 8-11, art. 8.220). Dans l’hypothèse où l’exécution en natures’offrirait par présomption aux vendeurs, l’obligation de limiter les dommages deviendrait quelque peu illusoire.
Rien n’empêcherait levendeur de « camper » sur ses droits, au lieu de s’appliquer à limiter ses dommages (Sharpe, p. 8-10, art. 8.140; Ansdell c. Crowther, (BC CA), [1984] B.C.J. No. 1751 (C.A.) (QL), par. 32; Garbens c. Khayami, (ON SC), [1994] O.J.No. 317 (C. Ont. (Div. gén.)) (QL)). Troisièmement, je suis d’avis que les dispositions de la convention relatives à la résiliation ducontrat et aux dommages-intérêts extrajudiciaires sont favorables à Brun. La première
partie du par. 11(4) de la convention traite desmensualités d’intérêts payables par Brun au groupe Donnelly, mais sa dernière
partie stipule les conséquences qu’aurait le[TRADUCTION] « défaut de l’acquéresse de réaliser les paiements qui […] sont stipulés ». La convention envisage au moins six typesde paiements : le dépôt, les mensualités d’intérêts, les taxes et impôts, les frais, amendes et pénalités, le coût des dommagesenvironnementaux et le solde de clôture. Elle prévoit une éventuelle réparation, qui n’est pas l’exécution en nature, pour le cas où Brunne ferait pas l’un de ces paiements. Vu tout ce qui précède, j’estime que l’exécution en nature ne s’offre pas au groupe Donnelly. Le jugesaisi de la motion n’aurait pas dû accorder cette mesure réparatoire.
V. Conclusion [16] En conclusion, je suis d’avis de rejeter l’appel formé contre l’ordonnance de jugement
sommaire prononcée par le juge saisi de la motion. Je suis d’avis, par contre, d’accueillir l’appel formé contre l’ordonnance d’exécution en nature et de renvoyer l’affaire au juge saisi de la motion pour l’évaluation des dommages-intérêts. L’appelante et l’intimée ayant partiellement gain de cause, je ne condamnerais ni l’une ni l’autre aux dépens de l’appel ou aux dépens de la motion entendue à la Cour du Banc de la Reine.