2023 NBCA 12, 2023 NBCA 12
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 73-22-CA MINISTER OF SOCIAL DEVELOPMENT APPELLANT LA MINISTRE DU DÉVELOPPEMENT SOCIAL APPELANTE - and - - et - V.L.C., J.R. and R.D. RESPONDENTS V.L.C., J.R. et R.D. INTIMÉS Minister of Social Development v. V.L.C. et al., 2023 NBCA 12 Ministre du Développement social c.
V.L.C. et autres, 2023 NBCA 12 CORAM: The Honourable Chief Justice Richard The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice LeBlanc CORAM : l’honorable juge en chef Richard l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge LeBlanc Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: July 18, 2022 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : le 18 juillet 2022 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: Unreported Décision frappée d’appel : inédite Preliminary or incidental proceedings: N/A Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : s.o.
Appeal heard: January 10, 2023 Appel entendu : le 10 janvier 2023
Judgment rendered: January 10, 2023 Reasons delivered: March 2, 2023 Jugement rendu : le 10 janvier 2023 Motifs déposés : le 2 mars 2023 Reasons for judgment by: The Honourable Justice LeBlanc Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge LeBlanc Concurred in by: The Honourable Chief Justice Richard The Honourable Justice Quigg Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge en chef Richard l’honorable juge Quigg Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: Scott N. Larson For the respondents: No one appeared Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appelante : Scott N.
Larson Pour les intimés : Aucune comparution THE COURT On January 10, 2023, the appeal was allowed without costs and paragraph 2 of the Guardianship Order dated July 18 and filed July 22, 2022, was amended such that no access is reserved for the children to V.L.C., with reasons to follow. These are the reasons for judgment.
LA COUR Le 10 janvier 2023, la Cour a accueilli l’appel sans adjuger de dépens et a modifié le deuxième paragraphe de l’ordonnance de tutelle datée du 18 juillet 2022 et déposée le 22 juillet 2022 de sorte qu’aucun droit d’accès auprès de V.L.C. ne soit réservé aux enfants, et elle a indiqué que les motifs suivraient. Voici ces motifs. The judgment of the Court was delivered by LEBLANC, J.A. I. Overview [ 1 ] In July 2022, a judge of the Court of Queen’s Bench (as it then was) issued a Guardianship Order with respect to three children, aged seven, five, and three.
In the Order, the judge reserved a right of access for the children to their mother, V.L.C., ruling exceptional circumstances warranted the preservation of access and specifying access would be at the discretion of the Minister and/or adoptive parents so long as this right of access remained consistent with the best interests of the children. The
Guardianship Order has not been appealed, but the Minister of Social Development has appealed that part of the Order relating to access. None of the respondents have filed cross-appeals or otherwise responded to the Minister’s appeal regarding access. [ 2 ] On the day of the appeal hearing, the Court allowed the Minister’s appeal, without costs, amending paragraph 2 of the Guardianship Order, such that no access is reserved for the children to V.L.C, with reasons to follow. These are those reasons. II.
Factual Background [ 3 ] The three children who are the subject of the Guardianship Order, will be referred to in these reasons as Child A, Child B, and Child C. The respondent, V.L.C., is the children’s mother; the respondent J.R. is the biological father of Children A and B and the respondent, R.D., is the biological father of Child C. J.R. consented to the Guardianship Order regarding his children whereas V.L.C. and R.D. both opposed the Minister’s application. In addition, R.D. filed his own application seeking primary care of Child C.
The judge heard both applications consecutively. [ 4 ] After hearing the applications, the judge dismissed R.D.’s application for primary care of Child C and granted guardianship of all three children to the Minister while preserving a right of access for the children to V.L.C. No right of access was preserved for Child C to R.D. [ 5 ] Neither of the respondents V.L.C. and R.D. appeared before us at the appeal hearing. A. History of the Proceedings [ 6 ] The Minister has been involved with V.L.C. since 2007.
In addition to being the biological mother of the three children who are the subject of the Guardianship Order, V.L.C is the biological mother of five children in respect of whom the Minister was granted a guardianship order in 2014 and with whom V.L.C. has no contact. [ 7 ] In October 2019, Children A, B, and C were taken into protective care due to the Minister’s numerous concerns about V.L.C., which are discussed in detail in the judge’s reasons relating to guardianship. [ 8 ] In early 2021, the Minister filed an application for guardianship, which was heard over several days spread through the fall of 2021 and spring of 2022. [ 9 ] The Minister led evidence from several witnesses, including the supervisor of the regional Adoption Unit, who testified about the Minister’s plan for the children should guardianship be granted, the adoption process generally, and the impact of certain factors, including post-guardianship access on the likelihood of adoption.
She explained that some prospective adoptive parents are not open to access orders, which reduces the number of potential applicants. Notably, the supervisor was the social worker tasked with supervising V.L.C.’s post-guardianship access with her children in 2015. According to her testimony, V.L.C.’s post- guardianship access with those children went poorly, and had a negative impact on them and the two eldest of those five children advised her they did not wish to have further contact with V.L.C.
During this part of the hearing, despite no indication in the pleadings that post- guardianship access was sought, in response to a question from the judge, counsel for V.L.C. and R.D. stated that they would seek such an order should guardianship be granted to the Minister. [ 10 ] After five days of hearing, in late October 2021 the judge heard counsels’ arguments and reserved her decision. In early December 2021, the parties appeared before her and were advised she would not be rendering a decision that day.
She instead invited them to make submissions at a further appearance to determine whether she could consider an extension of the Custody Order. Approximately two weeks later, the parties again appeared before the judge. Counsel for the Minister argued that the court lacked the jurisdiction to extend the Custody Order. During her exchanges with counsel, the judge expressed concerns that V.L.C. had only been allowed supervised visits with the children and that she “wrestled” with the fact that the Minister had not increased access to V.L.C.
Although he believed the court had jurisdiction to delay the disposition of the matter, counsel for the Minister argued delay should be considered from the children’s perspective. Ultimately, the judge decided she would delay the conclusion of the proceedings
and hear additional evidence. [ 11 ] Based on the comments expressed by the judge during the last appearance in December 2021, the Minister thought it was clear the judge wanted V.L.C. to be given increased access to the children. As a result, in early January 2022, V.L.C.’s access to the children was increased, including with the addition of unsupervised visits. When the trial continued in May 2022, V.L.C. had full-day, unsupervised visits with an overnight visit once a week. The judge heard further testimony over the course of two days.
The children’s foster mother, the family support worker who supervised visits and the lead social worker on the file all testified to the negative impacts of those visits on the children, confirming, as anticipated by the Minister, that visits with V.L.C. did not go well. After hearing further closing arguments by counsel, the judge reserved her decision. That decision was rendered at the end of June 2022. B. The Application Judge’s Reasons [ 12 ] The judge dedicated seven paragraphs of her 50-page decision to the issue of post-guardianship access.
She correctly identified the legal principles to apply in determining whether post-guardianship access should be granted. She then set out the “exceptional circumstances” which, in her view, warranted the preservation of a right of access with V.L.C., as follows: As regards V.L.C., I believe there are exceptional circumstances which warrant that a right of access be preserved. V.L.C. is not a volatile individual. She has been a constant presence in the children’s lives since their birth. Over the past two years, she has consistently attended visits.
She has also spoken to them by telephone on an almost daily basis. According to the foster parent, most calls are positive and few calls have been missed. Cutting off contact would not be in the children’s best interests. This is particularly so for Child A who is now 7 years of age. [ 13 ] As previously stated, the judge did not preserve a right of access for Child C. to R.D. as, in her view, it would not have been in Child C’s best interests to do so. III.
Grounds of Appeal [ 14 ] The Minister is appealing that part of the judge’s order which reserved for the children a right of access to V.L.C., on grounds that the judge committed reversible error in finding it was in the children’s best interests to reserve access for them by:
a) finding there were exceptional circumstances warranting a preservation of a right of access;
b) failing to consider all relevant factors;
c) misapprehending factors she should have considered in her determination of post-guardianship access; and
d) engaging in judicial interference to the point of rendering the proceedings quasi-investigatory, contrary to the judge’s role in the adversarial process, which interference had a material impact on her determination of post-guardianship access. I will deal with the ground of appeal relating to bias or judicial interference before addressing the legal test to apply in post-guardianship access cases. IV. Standard of Review [ 15 ] The Minister submits the judge committed several errors of law and errors of mixed fact and law. The scope of appellate review in guardianship matters is quite narrow. In J.C. v.
Minister of Families and Children , 2020 NBCA 24 , [2020] N.B.J. No. 126 (QL) , this Court succinctly articulated the scope of this review as follows: Appellate review starts with a review of the record. A judge’s treatment of the facts will be accorded deference, absent palpable and overriding error: M.K.R. v. J.A.R. , 2015 NBCA 73 , 443 N.B.R. (2d) 313, at paras. 9 and 10 . The same applies to errors of mixed fact and
law. Should a judge misapply a legal principle, he or she will be overturned on the correctness standard. [para. 6] [16] In cases calling for a determination of the best interests of children, the law is well settled thatgreat deference must be shown by appellate courts (see C.A. v. Minister of Families and Children, 2018 NBCA 67, [2018] N.B.J. No.246 (QL) at paras. 11-12; V.C. and J.C. v. The Minister of Social Development et al., 2015 NBCA 28, 435 N.B.R. (2d) 205; N.J.P. v. TheMinister of Social Development, 2012 NBCA 3, 382 N.B.R. (2d) 245, at paras. 4-5; A.W. v.
The Minister of Family and CommunityServices, 2007 NBCA 77, 322 N.B.R. (2d) 162, at para. 3; S.B. v. Minister of Family and Community Services, 2006 NBCA 41, [2006]N.B.J. No. 167 (QL); M.D. v. Minister of Family and Community Services and D.R., J-P.L. and S.L., 2006 NBCA 7, [2006] N.B.J. No.11 (QL) at paras. 5-7; T.T. v. Minister of Family and Community Services, 2006 NBCA 19, 296 N.B.R. (2d) 397, at para. 3; Nouveau-Brunswick (Ministre des Services familiaux et communautaires) v. A.N. et Y.N., 2003 NBCA 45, 264 N.B.R. (2d) 80 at para. 11; Van dePerre v. Edwards, 2001 SCC 60, [2001] 2 S.C.R. 1014; D.B. v.
New Brunswick (Minister of Family and Community Services) (2000), (NB CA), 228 N.B.R. (2d) 218 (C.A.), [2000] N.B.J. No. 277 (QL), at paras. 6-7). V. Analysis A. Allegation of Bias or Judicial Interference [17] The Minister submits that by “urging” the Minister to increase V.L.C.’s visit schedule, thejudge placed herself in a position of conflict and clear potential bias vis-à-vis the impact those visits had on the children, an issue whichwas the crux of the Minister’s opposition to post-guardianship access.
The Minister further submits that the judge’s “interference” wentbeyond what is permissible in the case law and rendered the proceeding quasi-investigatory, contrary to a judge’s role in the adversarialprocess. [18] The Minister relies on Investment Industry Regulatory Organization of Canada v. Crandall,2020 NBCA 76, [2020] N.B.J. No. 287 (QL) where, applying the principles elaborated in R v. Mian, 2014 SCC 54, [2014] 2 S.C.R. 689,this Court found an administrative tribunal had acted improperly in adjudicating a new issue on its own motion.
Writing for the SupremeCourt in Mian, Rothstein J., discussed the limited discretion of judges to raise new issues in our adversarial system: Our adversarial system of determining legal disputes is a procedural system “involving active and unhindered parties contesting witheach other to put forth a case before an independent decision-maker” (Black’s Law Dictionary (9th ed. 2009), sub verbo ”adversarysystem”).
An important component of this system is the principle of party presentation, under which courts “rely on the parties to framethe issues for decision and assign to courts the role of neutral arbiter of matters the parties present” (Greenlaw v. United States, 554 U.S.237(2008), at p. 243, per Ginsburg J.). A fundamental reason for maintaining this system is to ensure that judicial decision-makers remain independent and impartial and areseen to remain independent and impartial.
When a judge or appellate panel of judges intervenes in a case and departs from the principleof party presentation, the risk is that the intervention could create an apprehension of bias. […] [Emphasis added; paras. 38 -39] [19] The Minister also relies on cases where the role of judges has been described as one where theymust hear and determine the issues raised by the parties rather than investigate or conduct an examination on behalf of society at large(see R v. Atkinson (1981), 33 N.B.R. (2d) 137, [1981] N.B.J. No. 26 (QL), citing Jones v. National Coal Board, [1957] 2 Q.B. 55).
InBrouillard, Also known as Chatel v. The Queen, (CSC), [1985] 1 S.C.R. 39, [1985] S.C.J. No. 3 (QL), Lamer J. (as hethen was), rendering judgment for the Supreme Court, wrote: First of all, it is clear that judges are no longer required to be as passive as they once were; to be what I call sphinx judges. Wenow not only accept that a judge may intervene in the adversarial debate, but also believe that it is sometimes essential for him to do sofor justice in fact to be done. Thus, a judge may and sometimes must ask witnesses questions, interrupt them in their testimony and ifnecessary, call them to order.
One of the decisions most often cited in support of this rule is Jones v. National Coal Board, [1957] 2 All E.R. 155. (C.A.). LordDenning stated the following, at pp. 158-9: No one can doubt that the judge, in intervening as he did, was actuated by the best motives. He was anxious to understand the details of
this complicated case, and asked questions to get them clear in his mind. He was anxious that the witnesses should not be harassedunduly in cross-examination, and intervened to protect them when he thought necessary. He was anxious to investigate all the variouscriticisms that had been made against the board, and to see whether they were well founded or not. Hence he took them up himself withthe witnesses from time to time. He was anxious that the case should not be dragged on too long, and intimated clearly when he thoughtthat a point had been sufficiently explored.
All those are worthy motives on which judges daily intervene in the conduct of cases andhave done for centuries. Nevertheless, we are quite clear that the interventions, taken together, were far more than they should have been. In the system of trialwhich we have evolved in this country, the judge sits to hear and determine the issues raised by the parties, not to conduct aninvestigation or examination on behalf of society at large, as happens, we believe, in some foreign countries.
Even in England, however,a judge is not a mere umpire to answer the question “How’s that?” His object above all is to find out the truth, and to do justice accordingto the law;... More recently, in Canada, in R. v. Torbiak and Campbell (1974), (ON CA), 26 C.R.N.S. 108, which involved aproblem similar to the one in the case at bar, the Ontario Court of Appeal stated the following at pp. 109-10: The proper conduct of a trial Judge is circumscribed by two considerations. On the one hand his position is one of great power andprestige which gives his every word an especial significance.
The position of established neutrality requires that the trial judge shouldconfine himself as much as possible to his own responsibilities and leave to counsel and members of the jury their respective functions.On the other hand, his responsibility for the conduct of the trial may well require him to ask questions which ought to be asked andhave not been asked on account of the failure of counsel, and so to compel him to interject himself into the examination of witnesses to adegree which he might not otherwise choose.
Since the limits of the allowable conduct are not absolute, but relative to the facts and circumstances of the particular trial within whichthey are to be observed, every alleged departure during a trial from the accepted standards of judicial conduct must be examined withrespect to its effect on the fairness of the trial. [Emphasis added; paras. 17-19] [20] In the case before us, it is difficult to understand why, after five days of hearing, the judge chosenot to dispose of the matter based on the evidence before her.
When the parties first appeared before her in early December 2021, thejudge was already outside the statutory time limits fixed by s. 53(3) of the Family Services Act, S.N.B. 1980, c. F-2.2, for disposing ofsuch a matter (see, on the topic of this time limit, R.D. v. The Minister of Social Development, 2022 NBCA 56, [2022] N.B.J. No. 231(QL)). While she did not order the Minister to increase the children’s access to V.L.C., she certainly conveyed to counsel, during themid-December appearance, that this was her expectation.
I hasten to add that I am not oblivious to the challenges judges sitting in theFamily Division of the Court of King’s Bench may face.
Every day, they are asked to make decisions that have life-changingconsequences for children and their biological parents in constricted time limits which sometimes offend their personal sense of fairness.That said, judges cannot lose sight of their duty not only to remain independent and impartial but also to be seen as remainingindependent and impartial. [21] While the judge’s management of this matter tested the limits of allowable conduct and shouldnot be emulated, in my view it does not rise to the level of compromising trial fairness and I find that appellate intervention is notwarranted on this ground. B.
Post-Guardianship Access – The Legal Test and its Application [22] In D.S. and A.C. v. The Minister of Social Development, 2021 NBCA 25, [2021] N.B.J. No. 128(QL), this Court, like other courts in the country, noted that “access is not the right of the parent; it is the right of their child” (para. 62). In the context of post-guardianship access, the Court drew the following principles from the reasons of Gonthier, J., rendering judgmentfor the Supreme Court in New Brunswick (Minister of Health and Community Services) v. L. (M.), (CSC), [1998] 2S.C.R. 534, [1998] S.C.J.
No. 52 (QL): The Supreme Court confirmed that access is the exception, and not the rule, in this context. Gonthier J. quoted from this Court’sreasoning in M.A.G., Re., where Hoyt J.A. (as he then was) concluded that it is only in rare situations that access would be ordered. Thefollowing principles emerge from Gonthier J.’s decision:
a. There is no inconsistency in principle between a guardianship order and an access order ; b. While a liberal
interpretation of the Act is appropriate, the best interests of the child are the primary consideration and the preservation of family ties is subordinate (para. 46); c. If adoption is more important for the ongoing welfare of a child, and it would be jeopardized if a right of access were exercised, access should not be granted ; d. In considering whether to preserve a child’s right of access with his or her parents, a judge is required to weigh the various components of the best interests of the child. Evidence concerning how access has historically been exercised becomes particularly relevant ; and e.
Access should not be granted if it would have a negative effect on the physical or psychological health of the child (para. 51). [Emphasis added; para 66] [ 23 ] In finding “exceptional circumstances” justified the preservation of post-guardianship access, the judge in this case focused almost exclusively on V.L.C. rather than considering how preserving access could benefit the children or be in their best interests. In New Brunswick (Minister of Families and Children) v. L.H ., 2020 NBQB 186 , [2020] N.B.J.
No. 233 (QL) , much like V.L.C., the mother was not volatile, she had been a constant presence in her children’s lives and she had consistently attended her visits. The judge, in that matter, noting she could not ignore the fact that she had found it necessary to permanently remove the children from the mother’s care, based on concerns notably similar to the concerns that emerge from the record in this matter, stated the children would not clearly benefit, either physically or psychologically, from ongoing contact with the mother (at paras. 222-225).
A parent’s stability, constant presence in the children’s lives and regular attendance at visits with the children are not exceptional circumstances warranting post-guardianship access absent facts indicating that, these along with other circumstances, post-guardianship access would clearly be in the best interests of the children.
The “best interests” analysis should not be undertaken from the perspective of the parent. [ 24 ] In this matter, the judge did not explain why or how, considering the evidence that led her to grant guardianship, it would be beneficial for the three children, or in their best interests, to have continued access to V.L.C. In her reasons for granting guardianship, the judge expressed remaining concerns about the safety and protection of the children and referenced the family support worker’s evidence that visits with V.L.C. became more chaotic as their number increased.
She also referenced that worker’s evidence that as these visits were increased, their quality diminished, and the children became more aggressive. In the part of the judge’s decision relating to post-guardianship access, there is no mention of this evidence nor any application of this evidence to the legal test set out by the Supreme Court and this Court. Likewise, there is no mention of the evidence before her, although not determinative of the issue, on any impact post-guardianship access may have on the potential adoption of the children.
Other than making the conclusory statement that “cutting off contact would not be in the children’s best interests”, she does not refer to any evidence upon which to ground a finding that continued access would benefit the children or be in their best interests. [ 25 ] Reasons need not be perfect. There is no obligation placed upon a trial judge to mechanically recite every fact or detail put before the court. However, there is a need to demonstrate what evidence was considered, how it was applied to the legal principles considered and the basis for making the order.
If there is a deviation from normative principles, the judge must explain why this was deemed appropriate (see Van de Perre v. Edwards ; T.M.D. v. J.P.G ., 2018 NBCA 15 , [2018] N.B.J. No. 44 (QL) , at para. 29 ). It is open to a judge to prefer the evidence of certain witnesses over that of others and to place more weight on some parts of the evidence than others (see A.M. v. Ministry of Social Services , 2020 SKCA 114 , [2020] S.J.
No. 372 (QL) , at para. 81 ). [ 26 ] Although she correctly identified the relevant legal principles, in my respectful opinion, the judge failed to apply, or at the very least she misapplied, the proper test for post-guardianship access. This is an error of law, which is subject to the correctness standard. Under this standard, an appellate court owes no deference to the judge’s determination. C. The Remedy [ 27 ] As in D.S. and A.C ., it is appropriate for the Court in this matter to step into the shoes of the application judge, conduct the appropriate analysis and make any order that ought to have been made.
This course of action is permitted under Rule 62.21(1) and consistent with Rule 1.02.1 which requires that courts apply the Rules in a manner “proportionate to what is at
stake […] and the importance and complexity of the issues.” Considering the length of the hearing (nine days), the fact that the children have been in the Minister’s care since October 2019 and the prejudice the children would suffer from further delay, performing the analysis that ought to have been made is the most reasonable option. [ 28 ] Given access belongs to the child and not the parent, and this right is the exception and not the rule, and considering the evidence before the judge of the chaotic nature of the visits with V.L.C. both before and after they were increased, and the ensuing negative impact of those visits on the children, there is no basis upon which to deviate from the normative principles relating to post-guardianship access.
The evidence does not support a finding that the preservation of access for the children to V.L.C. would be in their best interests. Rather, it supports the opposite finding. VI. Conclusion [ 29 ] It is for these reasons that I joined my colleagues in granting the Minister’s appeal without costs and ordering that paragraph 2 of the Guardianship Order be amended such that no access is reserved for the children with V.L.C. Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par LA JUGE LEBLANC I.
Aperçu [1] En juillet 2022, une juge de la Cour du Banc de la Reine (tel était alors son nom) a rendu une ordonnance de tutelle relativement à trois enfants âgés de sept, cinq et trois ans. Dans l’ordonnance, la juge avait réservé aux enfants un droit d’accès auprès de leur mère, V.L.C., en concluant que des circonstances exceptionnelles justifiaient le maintien du droit d’accès et en précisant que l’exercice du droit d’accès serait laissé à la discrétion de la Ministre ou des parents adoptifs, ou des deux, pourvu qu’il demeure compatible avec l’intérêt supérieur des enfants.
L’ordonnance de tutelle n’a pas été portée en appel, mais la ministre du Développement social a porté en appel la
partie de l’ordonnance concernant l’accès. Aucun des intimés n’a déposé d’appel reconventionnel ni par ailleurs répondu à l’appel de la Ministre concernant l’accès. [2] À la date fixée pour l’audition de l’appel, la Cour a accueilli l’appel de la Ministre, sans adjuger de dépens, et a modifié le deuxième paragraphe de l’ordonnance de tutelle de sorte qu’aucun droit d’accès auprès de V.L.C. ne soit réservé aux enfants, et elle a indiqué que les motifs suivraient. Voici ces motifs. II.
Contexte factuel [3] Les trois enfants visés par l’ordonnance de tutelle seront appelés Enfant A, Enfant B et Enfant C dans les présents motifs. L’intimée V.L.C. est la mère des enfants, l’intimé J.R. est le père biologique d’Enfant A et d’Enfant B, et l’intimé R.D. est le père biologique d’Enfant C. J.R. a consenti à l’ordonnance de tutelle concernant ses enfants, tandis que V.L.C. et R.D. ont tous deux contesté la demande de la Ministre. Par ailleurs, R.D. a déposé sa propre demande en vue que lui soit attribuée la responsabilité principale des soins d’Enfant C.
La juge a entendu les deux demandes l’une à la suite de l’autre. [4] Après avoir entendu les demandes, la juge a rejeté la demande de R.D. en attribution de la responsabilité principale des soins d’Enfant C et a accordé la tutelle des trois enfants à la Ministre tout en maintenant un droit d’accès auprès de V.L.C. en faveur des enfants. Aucun droit d’accès auprès de R.D. n’a été maintenu en faveur d’Enfant C. [5] Ni l’intimée V.L.C. ni l’intimé R.D. n’ont comparu devant notre Cour lors de l’audition de l’appel.
A. Historique de l’instance [6] La Ministre intervient auprès de V.L.C. depuis 2007.
En plus d’être la mère biologique des trois enfants visés par l’ordonnance de tutelle, V.L.C. est la mère biologique de cinq enfants à l’endroit desquels la Ministre a obtenu une ordonnance de tutelle en 2014 et avec lesquels V.L.C. n’a aucun contact. [7] En octobre 2019, Enfant A, Enfant B et Enfant C ont été placés sous un régime de protection en raison de nombreuses préoccupations de la Ministre à l’égard de V.L.C., préoccupations qui sont traitées en détail dans les motifs de la juge se rapportant à la tutelle. [8] Au début de 2021, la Ministre a déposé une demande de tutelle, qui a été entendue sur plusieurs jours à l’automne 2021 et au printemps 2022. [9] La Ministre a fait témoigner plusieurs témoins, dont la superviseure de l’unité régionale d’adoption, qui a témoigné au sujet du plan de la Ministre pour les enfants si la tutelle était accordée, du processus d’adoption en général et de l’incidence de certains facteurs, notamment l’incidence du maintien de l’accès après l’ordonnance de tutelle sur la probabilité que les enfants soient adoptés.
Elle a expliqué que certains parents adoptifs éventuels ne sont pas ouverts aux ordonnances d’accès, ce qui réduit le nombre de demandeurs éventuels. Il convient de noter que la superviseure était la travailleuse sociale responsable de surveiller les visites de V.L.C. auprès de ses enfants après l’ordonnance de tutelle en 2015. Selon son témoignage, les visites de V.L.C. auprès des enfants après l’ordonnance de tutelle se sont mal passées et ont eu une incidence négative sur les enfants, et les deux aînés des cinq enfants l’ont informée qu’ils ne souhaitaient plus voir V.L.C. Pendant cette
partie de l’audience, bien qu’il n’ait pas été mentionné dans les plaidoiries qu’un droit d’accès après l’ordonnance de tutelle était sollicité, en réponse à une question de la juge, les avocats de V.L.C. et de R.D. ont indiqué qu’ils solliciteraient une ordonnance relativement au droit d’accès si la tutelle était accordée à la Ministre. [10] Après cinq jours d’audience, à la fin octobre 2021, la juge a entendu les arguments des avocats et a mis sa décision en délibéré. Au début décembre 2021, les parties ont comparu devant elle et ont été informées qu’elle ne rendrait pas une décision ce jour-là.
Elle les a plutôt invités à présenter des observations à une autre comparution afin de déterminer si elle pouvait envisager une prolongation de l’ordonnance de garde. Environ deux semaines plus tard, les parties ont comparu à nouveau devant la juge. L’avocat de la Ministre a fait valoir que la Cour n’avait pas compétence pour prolonger l’ordonnance de garde.
Pendant ses échanges avec les avocats, la juge a exprimé des préoccupations quant au fait que V.L.C. ne pouvait visiter les enfants que sous surveillance et a indiqué qu’elle [TRADUCTION] « était préoccupée » par le fait que la Ministre n’avait pas augmenté la fréquence des visites de V.L.C. Même s’il estimait que la Cour avait compétence pour reporter sa décision, l’avocat de la Ministre a fait valoir que le report devrait être examiné du point de vue des enfants.
Finalement, la juge a décidé qu’elle allait reporter l’issue de l’instance et entendre d’autres témoignages. [11] Compte tenu des remarques formulées par la juge lors de la dernière comparution en décembre 2021, la Ministre croyait qu’il était évident que la juge voulait qu’on augmente la fréquence des visites de V.L.C. auprès des enfants. Par conséquent, au début janvier 2022, la fréquence des visites de V.L.C. a été augmentée et elle s’est également vu accorder des visites non surveillées.
Lorsque le procès a repris en mai 2022, V.L.C. bénéficiait de visites non surveillées d’une pleine journée et d’une visite avec nuitée une fois par semaine. La juge a entendu d’autres témoignages pendant deux jours. La mère nourricière des enfants, le travailleur de soutien familial qui a surveillé les visites et le travailleur social responsable du dossier ont tous témoigné des effets négatifs que ces visites avaient eu sur les enfants et confirmé, comme le prévoyait la Ministre, que les visites avec V.L.C. ne se sont pas bien passées.
Après avoir entendu d’autres plaidoiries de clôture des avocats, la juge a mis sa décision en délibéré. La décision a été rendue à la fin juin 2022. B. Motifs de la juge saisie de la requête [12] La juge a consacré sept paragraphes de sa décision de 50 pages à la question de l’accès après l’ordonnance de tutelle. Elle a correctement cerné les principes juridiques à appliquer pour déterminer si l’accès après l’ordonnance de tutelle devrait être accordé.
Elle a ensuite énoncé les [TRADUCTION] « circonstances exceptionnelles » qui, à son avis, justifiaient le maintien d’un droit d’accès auprès de V.L.C. : [TRADUCTION] En ce qui concerne V.L.C., j’estime qu’il existe des circonstances exceptionnelles qui justifient le maintien d’un droit d’accès. V.L.C. n’est pas instable. Elle a été constamment présente dans la vie des enfants depuis leur naissance. Au cours des deux dernières années,
elle a constamment participé aux visites. Elle a aussi parlé aux enfants par téléphone presque tous les jours. Selon le parent d’accueil, laplupart des appels étaient positifs et peu d’appels ont été manqués. La suppression de tout contact ne serait pas dans l’intérêt supérieurdes enfants, particulièrement pour Enfant A qui a maintenant sept ans. [13] Comme il a été mentionné, la juge n’a pas maintenu un droit d’accès auprès de R.D. en faveurd’Enfant C puisque, à son avis, cela n’aurait pas été dans l’intérêt supérieur d’Enfant C. III. Moyens d’appel [14] La Ministre porte en appel la
partie de l’ordonnance de la juge dans laquelle elle a réservé auxenfants un droit d’accès auprès de V.L.C. au motif que la juge a commis une erreur justifiant l’infirmation de la décision lorsqu’elle aconclu qu’il était dans l’intérêt supérieur des enfants qu’un droit d’accès leur soit réservé :
a) en concluant qu’il existait des circonstances exceptionnelles justifiant le maintien d’un droit d’accès;
b) en omettant de tenir compte de tous les facteurs pertinents;
c) en interprétant erronément des facteurs qu’elle aurait dû prendre en compte dans sa décision relative à l’accès aprèsl’ordonnance de tutelle;
d) en faisant preuve d’ingérence au point de faire de l’instance une quasi-enquête, ce qui est contraire au rôle du juge dans leprocessus adversatif, ingérence qui a eu une incidence importante sur sa décision relative à l’accès après l’ordonnance de tutelle. Je traiterai du moyen d’appel portant sur la partialité ou l’ingérence judiciaire avant de me pencher sur le critère juridique à appliquerdans les affaires portant sur l’accès après l’ordonnance de tutelle. IV. Norme de contrôle [15] La Ministre soutient que la juge a commis plusieurs erreurs de droit et erreurs mixtes de droit etde fait.
La révision en appel des décisions en matière de tutelle est très restreinte. Dans J.C. c. Ministre des Familles et des enfants, 2020 NBCA 24, [2020] A.N.-B. no 126 (QL), notre Cour a succinctement exposé la portée de cette révision : Le contrôle d’une décision en appel commence par l’étude du dossier. Le traitement qu’un juge a donné des faits appelle à la déférence, sauf erreur manifeste et dominante (M.K.R. c. J.A.R., 2015 NBCA 73, 443 R.N.-B. (2e) 313, par. 9 et 10). Il en va de même des erreursmixtes de droit et de fait.
Si un juge a appliqué erronément un principe de droit, sa décision sera infirmée par application de la norme dela décision correcte. [par. 6] [16] Il est bien établi en droit que, dans les affaires où il y a lieu de déterminer l’intérêt supérieur desenfants, les tribunaux d’appel doivent faire preuve d’une grande retenue (voir C.A. c. Ministre des Familles et des Enfants, 2018 NBCA 67, [2018] A.N.-B. no 246 (QL), par. 11 et 12; V.C. et J.C. c. La ministre du Développement social et autre, 2015 NBCA 28, 435 R.N.- B. (2e) 205; N.J.P. c.
La ministre du Développement social, 2012 NBCA 3, 382 R.N.-B. (2e) 245, para. 4 et 5; A.W. c. La Ministre des Services familiaux et communautaires, 2007 NBCA 77, 322 R.N.-B. (2e) 162, par. 3; S.B. c. Le Ministre des Services familiaux et communautaires, 2006 NBCA 41, [2006] A.N.-B. no 167 (QL); M.D. c. Le ministre des Services familiaux et communautaires et D.R., J.-P.L. et S.L., 2006 NBCA 7, [2006] A.N.-B. no 11 (QL), par. 5 à 7; T.T. c. Le Ministre des Services familiaux et communautaires, 2006 NBCA 19, 296 R.N.-B. (2e) 397, par. 3; Nouveau-Brunswick (Ministre des Services familiaux et communautaires) c.
A.N. et Y.N., 2003 NBCA 45, 264 R.N.-B. (2e) 80, par. 11; Van de Perre c. Edwards, 2001 CSC 60, [2001] 2 R.C.S 1014; D.B. c. New Brunswick (Minister of Family and Community Services) (2000), (NB CA), 228 R.N.-B. (2e) 218 (C.A.), [2000] A.N.-B. no 277 (QL),par. 6 et 7). V. Analyse
A. Allégation de partialité et d’ingérence judiciaire [17] La Ministre soutient que, en [TRADUCTION] « exhortant » la Ministre à augmenter lafréquence des visites de V.L.C., la juge s’est placée dans une situation de conflit et de partialité potentielle évidente par rapport àl’incidence que ces visites ont eue sur les enfants, une question qui était au cœur de l’opposition de la Ministre à l’accès aprèsl’ordonnance de tutelle.
La Ministre affirme en outre que l’[TRADUCTION] « ingérence » de la juge est allée au-delà de ce qui estpermis dans la jurisprudence et a fait de l’instance une quasi-enquête, ce qui est contraire au rôle du juge dans le processus adversatif. [18] La Ministre a invoqué Organisme canadien de réglementation du commerce des valeurs mobilières c.
Crandall, 2020 NBCA 76, [2020] A.N.-B. no 287 (QL), arrêt dans lequel, en appliquant les principes énoncés dans R. c.Mian, 2014 CSC 54, [2014] 2 R.C.S. 689, notre Cour a conclu qu’un tribunal administratif avait mal agi en statuant sur une nouvellequestion qu’il avait soulevée de sa propre initiative.
Dans l’arrêt Mian, le juge Rothstein, s’exprimant au nom de la Cour suprême, atraité du pouvoir discrétionnaire restreint des juges de soulever de nouvelles questions dans notre système accusatoire : Le système accusatoire qui est le nôtre et dont nous nous servons pour trancher les différends de droit est un système procédural[TRADUCTION] « dans le cadre duquel des parties actives et sans entrave s’opposent pour faire valoir leur cause devant un décideur indépendant » (Black’s Law Dictionary (9e éd. 2009), sous la rubrique « adversary system »).
Un élément important de ce système est leprincipe de la présentation par les parties, suivant lequel les tribunaux [TRADUCTION] « s’appuient sur [ces dernières] pour formulerles questions qui doivent être tranchées et [...] se voient attribuer le rôle d’arbitre neutre sur les questions que présentent les parties »(Greenlaw c. United States, 554 U.S. 237 (2008), p. 243, le juge Ginsburg). Une des raisons fondamentales pour maintenir ce système est d’assurer que les décideurs judiciaires demeurent indépendants etimpartiaux et qu’ils soient vus comme demeurant ainsi.
Lorsqu’un juge ou une formation de juges en appel intervient dans une affaire etdéroge au principe de la présentation par les parties, cette intervention risque de susciter une crainte de partialité. […] [Soulignementajouté; par. 38 et 39] [19] La Ministre a aussi invoqué d’autres affaires dans lesquelles on a précisé que le rôle du jugeconsiste à entendre et à trancher les questions que soulèvent les parties et non pas à mener une enquête au nom de la société en général (voir R. c. Atkinson (1981), 33 R.N.-B. (2e) 137, [1981] A.N.-B. no 26 (QL), citant Jones c. National Coal Board, [1957] 2 Q.B. 55).
Dans Brouillard Dit Chatel c. La Reine, (CSC), [1985] 1 R.C.S. 39, [1985] A.C.S. no 3 (QL), le juge Lamer (tel étaitalors son titre), en rendant le jugement de la Cour suprême, a écrit ce qui suit : D’abord, il est clair que l’on n’exige plus du juge la passivité d’antan; d’être ce que, moi, j’appelle un juge sphinx. Non seulementacceptons-nous aujourd’hui que le juge intervienne dans le débat adversaire, mais croyons-nous aussi qu’il est parfois essentiel qu’il lefasse pour que justice soit effectivement rendue.
Ainsi un juge peut et, parfois, doit poser des questions aux témoins, les interrompredans leur témoignage, et au besoin les rappeler à l’ordre. Une des décisions les plus citées au soutien de cette règle est Jones v. National Coal Board, [1957] 2 All E.R. 155 (C.A.) Lord Dennings’exprimait comme suit, aux pp. 158 et 159 : [TRADUCTION] Nul ne peut douter que l’intervention du juge ait été fondée sur les meilleurs motifs. Désirant vivement comprendreles tenants et les aboutissants de cette affaire complexe, il a posé des questions en vue de tirer les choses au clair.
Afin d’empêcher queles témoins ne soient harcelés indûment au cours de leur contre-interrogatoire, il est intervenu pour les protéger chaque fois qu’il lejugeait nécessaire. Dans son désir d’examiner les différentes critiques faites contre la Commission et d’en déterminer le bien-fondé, il lesa soumises lui-même aux témoins à quelques reprises. Comme il souhaitait en outre ne pas voir l’audience traîner en longueur, il faisaitclairement savoir qu’un point avait été suffisamment débattu.
Voilà tous des motifs valables sur lesquels les juges se fondentcouramment, comme ils le font d’ailleurs depuis des siècles, pour intervenir dans le déroulement des procès. Nous sommes néanmoins convaincus que les interventions en cause, prises ensemble, dépassent largement les bornes de ce qui estpermis. Selon le mode d’instruction que nous avons dans ce pays, le rôle du juge consiste à entendre et à trancher les questions quesoulèvent les parties et non pas à mener une enquête au nom de la société en général, comme cela se produit, nous semble-t-il, danscertains pays étrangers.
Mais, même en Angleterre, le juge n’est pas simplement un arbitre ayant pour tâche de déterminer « lepourquoi » d’une affaire. Il lui incombe d’abord et avant tout d’établir la vérité et de rendre justice conformément à la loi;...
Plus récemment, et au pays, la Cour d’appel de l’Ontario, dans R. v. Torbiak and Campbell (1974), (ON CA), 26C.R.N.S. 108, saisie d’un problème analogue au nôtre, disait, aux pp. 109 et 110 : [TRADUCTION] En ce qui concerne la conduite à observer par un juge du procès, deux points sont à retenir. D’une part, en raison dugrand pouvoir et du prestige qui se rattachent à son poste, tout ce que peut dire un juge revêt une importance toute particulière.
Leprincipe bien établi de la neutralité judiciaire exige du juge du procès qu’il se limite dans la mesure du possible à l’exercice de sespropres fonctions, de manière à permettre aux avocats et au jury de remplir les leurs. D’un autre côté, le juge, en tant que responsable dudéroulement du procès, peut très bien avoir à poser des questions qui auraient dû être posées et que l’avocat a omis de poser; le juge sevoit ainsi obligé d’intervenir, plus qu’il ne l’aurait peut-être souhaité, dans l’interrogatoire des témoins.
Puisque les règles sur ce qui constitue une conduite permise ne sont pas absolues, mais varient en fonction des faits et des circonstancesde chaque procès, toutes les fois qu’on allègue qu’au cours d’un procès, on s’est écarté des normes reçues en matière de conduitejudiciaire, cette allégation doit être examinée à la lumière de son effet sur le caractère équitable du procès. [Soulignement ajouté; par. 17à 19] [20] En l’espèce, il est difficile de comprendre pourquoi, après cinq jours d’audience, la juge achoisi de ne pas trancher l’affaire sur le fondement de la preuve dont elle disposait.
Lorsque les parties ont comparu devant elle pour lapremière fois au début décembre 2021, la juge avait déjà dépassé les délais fixés par le par. 53(3) de la
Loi sur les services à la famille,L.N.-B. 1980, ch. F-2.2, pour trancher l’affaire (voir, au sujet de ces délais, R.D. c. Le ministre du Développement social, 2022 NBCA 56, [2022] A.N.-B. no 231 (QL)). Bien qu’elle n’ait pas enjoint à la Ministre d’augmenter la fréquence des visites des enfants auprès deV.L.C., elle a certes fait savoir aux avocats, lors de la comparution de la mi-décembre, que c’est ce à quoi elle s’attendait. Je m’empressed’ajouter que je suis consciente des défis qui se posent aux juges siégeant à la Division de la Famille de la Cour du Banc du Roi.
Chaquejour, ils doivent prendre des décisions qui ont de profondes conséquences sur la vie des enfants et de leurs parents biologiques en desdélais serrés qui heurtent parfois leur sens personnel de l’équité.
Cela dit, les juges ne peuvent pas perdre de vue leur devoir de nonseulement demeurer indépendants et impartiaux, mais aussi d’être vus comme demeurant ainsi. [21] Bien que la gestion de l’affaire par la juge se trouve à la limite de la conduite acceptable et nedevrait pas être reproduite, à mon avis, elle n’était pas propre à compromettre l’équité du procès, et je conclus que ce moyen d’appel nejustifie pas l’intervention en appel. B. Accès après l’ordonnance de tutelle – le critère juridique et son application [22] Dans D.S. et A.C. c.
Ministre du Développement social, 2021 NBCA 25, [2021] A.N.-B. no 128(QL), notre Cour, comme d’autres tribunaux au pays, a souligné que « le droit d’accès n’appartient pas au parent, c’est un droit quiappartient à l’enfant » (par. 62). Dans le contexte de l’accès après l’ordonnance de tutelle, la Cour a tiré les principes suivants des motifsdu juge Gonthier, qui a rendu le jugement de la Cour suprême dans Nouveau-Brunswick (Ministre de la Santé et des Services communautaires) c.
L. (M.), (CSC), [1998] 2 R.C.S. 534, [1998] A.C.S. no 52 (QL) : La Cour suprême a confirmé que l’accès est l’exception et non la règle dans ce contexte. Le juge Gonthier a cité des extraits duraisonnement de notre Cour dans M.A.G., Re, où le juge Hoyt (tel était alors son titre) avait conclu que ce n’est que dans de raressituations qu’un droit d’accès sera accordé. Les principes suivants se dégagent de la décision du juge Gonthier : a. Il n’existe pas d’incompatibilité de principe entre l’octroi d’une ordonnance de tutelle et d’une ordonnance d’accès. b.
Bien qu’une interprétation large de la Loi convienne, l’intérêt supérieur de l’enfant est le point cardinal et l’emporte sur le maintiende liens familiaux (par. 46). c. Si l’adoption est plus importante que l’accès pour le bien-être continu de l’enfant et si elle est mise en péril par l’exercice d’un droitd’accès, ce droit ne devrait pas être accordé. d. En examinant la question de savoir s’il y a lieu de protéger le droit d’accès d’un enfant à ses parents, le juge doit apprécier les diverséléments constitutifs de l’intérêt supérieur de l’enfant.
Une preuve portant sur l’exercice du droit d’accès dans le passé revêt alors une
pertinence particulière. e. Le droit d’accès ne devrait pas être accordé s’il a une incidence négative sur la santé physique ou psychologique de l’enfant (par. 51). [Soulignement ajouté; par. 66] [23] En concluant que des [TRADUCTION] « circonstances exceptionnelles » justifiaient le maintien de l’accès après l’ordonnance de tutelle, la juge en l’espèce s’est concentrée presque entièrement sur V.L.C. plutôt que d’examiner comment le maintien de l’accès pourrait être bénéfique aux enfants ou dans leur intérêt supérieur. Dans New Brunswick (Minister of Families and Children) c.
L.H ., 2020 NBQB 186 , [2020] A.N.-B. n o 233 (QL) , la mère, comme V.L.C., n’était pas instable, elle avait été constamment présente dans la vie des enfants et avait constamment participé aux visites.
La juge dans cette affaire, en soulignant qu’elle ne pouvait pas faire fi du fait qu’elle avait conclu qu’il était nécessaire de retirer définitivement les enfants à la charge de la mère, compte tenu de préoccupations sensiblement semblables à celles qui ressortent du dossier en l’espèce, a déclaré que les enfants ne bénéficieraient pas manifestement, sur le plan physique ou psychologique, d’un contact soutenu avec la mère (par. 222 à 225).
La stabilité du parent, sa présence constante dans la vie des enfants et sa participation régulière aux visites avec les enfants ne constituent pas des circonstances exceptionnelles justifiant l’accès après l’ordonnance de tutelle en l’absence de faits démontrant que, compte tenu de ces circonstances et d’autres circonstances, l’accès après l’ordonnance de tutelle serait manifestement dans l’intérêt supérieur des enfants.
L’analyse de « l’intérêt supérieur » ne devrait pas être effectuée selon le point de vue du parent. [24] En l’espèce, la juge n’a pas expliqué pourquoi ou comment, compte tenu de la preuve qui l’a menée à accorder la tutelle, le maintien de l’accès avec V.L.C. serait bénéfique aux trois enfants ou dans leur intérêt supérieur.
Dans ses motifs justifiant l’octroi de la tutelle, la juge a exprimé des préoccupations subsistantes concernant la sécurité et la protection des enfants et a fait référence au témoignage du travailleur de soutien familial selon lequel les visites avec V.L.C. devenaient de plus en plus chaotiques au fur et à mesure que leur fréquence augmentait. Elle a aussi fait référence au témoignage du travailleur de soutien selon lequel, au fur et à mesure que la fréquence des visites augmentait, leur qualité diminuait et les enfants devenaient plus agressifs. Dans la
partie de la décision de la juge se rapportant à l’accès après l’ordonnance de tutelle, il n’y a aucune mention de cette preuve ni de l’application de cette preuve au critère juridique énoncé par la Cour suprême et par notre Cour. De même, il n’y a aucune mention de la preuve dont elle dispose sur l’incidence que l’accès après l’ordonnance de tutelle pourrait avoir sur l’adoption possible des enfants, bien que cela ne soit pas déterminant pour trancher la question.
Outre l’énoncé par lequel elle affirme que [TRADUCTION] « la suppression de tout contact ne serait pas dans l’intérêt supérieur des enfants », la juge ne mentionne aucune preuve permettant de conclure que le maintien de l’accès serait bénéfique aux enfants et dans leur intérêt supérieur. [25] Il n’est pas nécessaire que les motifs soient parfaits.
Rien n’oblige le juge du procès à exposer méthodiquement chacun des faits ou détails présentés à la cour; par contre, il doit indiquer quels éléments de preuve ont été pris en compte, quelle application de la preuve a été faite d’après les principes de droit retenus et sur quel fondement l’ordonnance a été rendue. Si la décision s’écarte de principes normatifs, le juge doit expliquer pourquoi il est apparu approprié qu’il s’en écarte ( voir Van de Perre c. Edwards , et T.M.D. c. J.P.G . , 2018 NBCA 15 , [2018] A.N.-B. n o 44 (QL) , par. 29 ).
Le juge peut préférer le témoignage de certains témoins et accorder plus de poids à certaines parties de la preuve qu’à d’autres ( voir A.M. c. Ministry of Social Services , 2020 SKCA 114 , [2020] S.J. No. 372 (QL) , par. 81 ). [26] Je suis respectueusement d’avis que, bien qu’elle ait correctement cerné les principes juridiques pertinents, la juge a omis d’appliquer – ou, à tout le moins, a mal appliqué – le critère approprié en matière d’accès après l’ordonnance de tutelle. Il s’agit d’une erreur de droit qui est assujettie à la norme de la décision correcte.
Selon cette norme, le tribunal d’appel n’est pas tenu de faire preuve de retenue envers la décision du juge. C. Réparation [27] Comme dans D.S. et A.C ., il est approprié pour la Cour en l’espèce de se mettre dans les souliers du juge saisi de la requête, d’effectuer l’analyse qui s’impose et de rendre toute ordonnance qui aurait dû être rendue. Cette façon de procéder est permise par la règle 62.21(1) et conforme à la règle 1.02.1, qui enjoint aux tribunaux d’appliquer les Règles d’une manière qui est « proportionné[e] aux enjeux […] ainsi qu’à l’importance et à la complexité des questions en litige ».
Compte tenu de la durée de l’audience (neuf jours), du fait que les enfants sont sous la charge de la Ministre depuis octobre 2019 et du préjudice que causeraient aux enfants de nouveaux retards, l’option la plus raisonnable est d’effectuer l’analyse qui aurait dû être faite. [28] Le droit d’accès appartient à l’enfant et non au parent, et ce droit constitue l’exception et non la règle, et, compte tenu de la preuve dont disposait la juge concernant la nature chaotique des visites avec V.L.C. avant et après que leur fréquence a été augmentée et de l’incidence négative de ces visites sur les enfants, rien ne justifie de s’écarter des principes normatifs applicables à l’accès après l’ordonnance de tutelle.
La preuve ne permet pas de conclure que le maintien de l’accès des enfants auprès de V.L.C. serait dans leur intérêt supérieur. Elle permet plutôt de conclure le contraire.
VI. Conclusion [29] C’est pour ces motifs que mes collègues et moi avons accueilli l’appel de la Ministre sans dépens et ordonné que le deuxième paragraphe de l’ordonnance de tutelle soit modifié de sorte qu’aucun droit d’accès auprès de V.L.C. ne soit réservé aux enfants.