2021 NBCA 10, 2021 NBCA 10
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 69-20-CA EASTLAND REALTY LIMITED APPELLANT EASTLAND REALTY LIMITED APPELANTE - and - SOUTHEAST REGIONAL SERVICE COMMISSION, as represented by JEFF BOUDREAU RESPONDENT - et - COMMISSION DE SERVICES RÉGIONAUX DU SUD-EST, représentée par JEFF BOUDREAU INTIMÉE Eastland Realty Limited v. Southeast Regional Service Commission, as represented by Jeff Boudreau, 2021 NBCA 10 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Green The Honourable Justice French The Honourable Justice LaVigne Eastland Realty Limited c.
Commission de services régionaux du Sud-Est, représentée par Jeff Boudreau, 2021 NBCA 10 CORAM : l’honorable juge Green l’honorable juge French l’honorable juge LaVigne Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: August 19, 2020 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : le 19 août 2020 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: 2020 NBQB 146 Décision frappée d’appel : 2020 NBBR 146 Preliminary or incidental proceedings: None Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : aucune Appeal heard: January 19, 2021 Appel entendu : le 19 janvier 2021
Judgment rendered: March 2, 2021 Reasons delivered: April 15, 2021 Jugement rendu : le 2 mars 2021 Motifs déposés : le 15 avril 2021 Reasons for judgment: The Honourable Justice French Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Green The Honourable Justice LaVigne Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: Dale T. Briggs For the respondent: J. André Daigle Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge French Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Green l’honorable juge LaVigne Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appelante : Dale T. Briggs Pour l’intimée : J.
André Daigle THE COURT On March 2, 2021, the appeal was dismissed with reasons to follow. These are the reasons for decision. LA COUR Le 2 mars 2021, la Cour a rejeté l’appel en précisant que des motifs seraient déposés plus tard. Voici les motifs de décision. The judgment of the Court was delivered by FRENCH, J.A. I. Introduction [ 1 ] This is an appeal from a decision by a Court of Queen’s Bench judge that quashed, as unreasonable, a decision by the Assessment and Planning Appeal Board. [ 2 ] In September 2015, a development officer withheld his approval of a tentative subdivision plan because the
Department of Transportation and Infrastructure ( “ DTI”) refused to give its assent to the proposed public street identified in the plan. DTI had previously indicated it was willing to approve the same street and plan. [ 3 ] In November 2015, the owner of the proposed subdivision, Eastland Realty Limited , applied for judicial review of the decisions of DTI and the development officer. Eastland also appealed the development officer’s decision to the Board.
Eastland first pursued its application for judicial review, but that proceeding was stayed in 2018 by a different Court of Queen’s Bench judge, who determined that Eastland was required to first exhaust its right to appeal the development officer’s decision to the Board. [ 4 ] In May 2019, the Board determined Eastland’s appeal of the development officer’s decision by referring the request for reapproval of its plan back to the officer for reconsideration.
The Board found the officer had not misapplied the applicable legislation; however, it concluded it could assist the parties with a resolution of the issues beyond its control by referring the matter back to the development officer and directing the plan be remitted to DTI with the Board’s recommendation that: (1) it reconsider the proposed street and adopt the practice of approving previously approved plans, unless there has been a change in its road construction standards; and/or (2) the parties negotiate a resolution of DTI’s issues/requirements respecting the street. [ 5 ] The development officer followed the Board’s directions; however, DTI did not change its position, and the officer again refused to approve the plan.
Subsequently, the respondent, t he South East Regional Service Commission (as represented by the development officer), filed the within application for judicial review of the Board’s decision, in July 2019. [ 6 ] We dismissed Eastland’s appeal of the application judge’s decision. Eastland may now proceed with its 2015 application for judicial review of the decisions of DTI and the development officer. II. Background [ 7 ] In July 1997, Eastland received the first of many approvals of the tentative subdivision plan for its proposed Forest Brook Estates subdivision.
This initial plan identified the lots and streets for all three phases of the proposed subdivision. The approval was given by the development officer of the Greater Moncton Planning District Commission (the predecessor to the respondent). [ 8 ] Following the initial approval of its tentative plan in 1997, Eastland sought and received reapproval of the plan nearly every year thereafter, until 2013; however, the request it made for reapproval in December 2014 was rejected in September 2015, first by DTI and, subsequently, by the development officer.
By this time, only the third and final phase of the subdivision was tentative. The first two were complete, and final subdivision plan(
s) had been registered respecting them. [ 9 ] It is helpful to briefly identify the key statutory requirements relating to the approval of subdivision plans and, in particular, plans that intend to vest a public street in the Crown.
The Community Planning Act , S.N.B. 2017, c. 19 (the “ Act ”) provides: • A person seeking approval of a subdivision plan is required to submit to the development officer a written application for approval of a tentative subdivision plan (s. 81(1)); • A tentative plan must show the location of any proposed streets (s. 81(2)(c)); • Before approving a tentative plan, a development officer is required to conduct a review to ensure that the plan conforms with all current standards and approval requirements (s. 81(3)); • An approved tentative plan is “null and void at the expiration of one year” from the date of its approval (s. 82); • A person whose tentative plan was approved may proceed to lay out the lots, streets, etc. in accordance with the tentative plan (s. 83(1)) and submit to the development officer a written application for approval of a subdivision plan for all or part of the land included in the tentative plan (s. 84(1)); • Where a subdivision plan in a rural community provides for the laying out of public streets, “approval of the plan by the development officer shall not be given until the plan has been assented to by the Minister of Transportation and Infrastructure” (s. 87(1) ); • The approval of a subdivision plan is only valid for a one-year period, unless the plan is filed in the land registration office before the expiration of that period (s. 86(2)); and
• An approved subdivision plan is valid when it is filed in the land registry office (s. 85(4)) and, on filing, the land identified “on the subdivision plan as streets vests in the Crown” as provided for in the Act ( s. 87(4) ). [ 10 ] The Act does not expressly require DTI’s approval of a tentative plan. However, where a tentative plan includes a street that would, if the plan were a subdivision plan, require DTI’s approval (under s. 87(2)), the development officer is required to forward a copy of the tentative plan to DTI (s. 77(1)(g)).
As a matter of practice, the development officer will approve the tentative plan only if DTI indicates it will accept the street. [ 11 ] The predecessor to the Act was the Community Planning Act , R.S.N.B. 1973, c. C-12 , which applied when the plan was rejected. The relevant provisions remain substantially the same, and the Board referenced the provisions of the Act in its 2019 decision. There is no assertion the changes have any bearing on the live issues. A.
Approval of Eastland’s 2012 Tentative Plan [ 12 ] In 2012, Eastland submitted a revised tentative subdivision plan for approval (the “2012 Tentative Plan”). The revisions were to the street and entrance to phase 3, which were the result of consultations between Eastland, DTI and the Greater Moncton Planning District Commission. After these discussions, DTI advised that it had “reconsidered” its initial position regarding the acceptability of the street and would give its “approval” to the tentative plan.
In an email sent on December 18, 2012, DTI advised Eastland: Upon closer review of the file DTI has reconsidered the tentative plan submitted and will grant approval to the plan providing the construction of the street access to Route 106 is built within the ROW in a manner that would ensure maximizing the sight distance to the west […].
I will send a revised letter to the planning commission. [ 13 ] DTI’s revised letter to the Greater Moncton Planning District Commission, dated December 20, 2012, stated: The proposed public street and future street cul de sac shown on the tentative subdivision plan mentioned above is acceptable to the Department of Transportation and Infrastructure. This approval is subject to the provisions of Section 54(2) of the Community Planning Act .
When the Greater Moncton Planning District Commission recommends the proposed public and future street to the Minister of Transportation and Infrastructure and the Development Officer approves a tentative plan then the proposed public and future street will be acceptable to the Department of Transportation and Infrastructure when the following conditions are met […]. [Emphasis added.] [ 14 ] Based on his receipt of this approval, the development officer approved the 2012 Tentative Plan on December 21, 2012, for another year. [ 15 ] As Eastland had done in previous years, in 2013, it asked the development officer to reapprove its tentative plan.
Once again, it submitted the 2012 Tentative Plan. Since the plan was identical to the one that had been approved the previous year, the development officer did not forward it to DTI before giving his approval for another year. B. Refusal to reapprove the 2012 Tentative Plan [ 16 ] However, in December 2014, when Eastland again sought to have the 2012 Tentative Plan reapproved, its request was denied. Unlike the previous year, the development officer sent the plan to DTI, even though it remained unchanged from 2012.
For reasons that are not clear from the record, DTI did not respond until almost nine months later, after the development officer inquired as to the status of DTI’s input. In any event, DTI advised the development officer, by correspondence dated September 3, 2015, that the proposed street was not acceptable, and noted that its prior approval had expired in December 2013:
The proposed public street shown on the subject tentative subdivision plan is not acceptable to the Department of Transportation and infrastructure. The developer must meet or exceed the provincial standard specified in the guide entitled a guide to the minimum standards for the construction of subdivision roads and streets before the Minister will accept the street as public. In particular: • the length of the cul-de-sac exceeds the maximum length of 365 metres, • […]. Note our previous approval to your office on December 20, 2012 was subject to the provisions of Section 54(2) of the Community Planning Act .
As such, that approval expired on December 20, 2013. [ 17 ] Based on DTI’s rejection of the street, the development officer refused to give his approval to the 2012 Tentative Plan. It is not disputed that, had DTI given its assent, the development officer would have approved the plan. He encouraged Eastland to deal directly with DTI regarding its requirements for approval of the street. [ 18 ] Eastland maintains DTI’s change in its position respecting the street is not grounded in an identified change in DTI’s policy or road construction standards.
These standards are set out in DTI’s Guide to the Minimum Standards for the Construction of Subdivision Roads and Streets , 2003. There is no evidence to the contrary and, before us, this claim is uncontested. [ 19 ] It is common ground that DTI’s objections relating to the street are the only obstacle to the plan’s approval. As the Commission’s written submission to this Court notes, if DTI gives its approval to the proposed street , “the development officer will have little choice but to approve the tentative plan.” C.
Eastland’s proceedings in response to refusal [ 20 ] In response to the September 2015 rejection of its request for the reapproval of its plan, Eastland: 1) on November 30, 2015, applied to the Court of Queen’s Bench for judicial review of the decisions of both DTI and the development officer; 2) on February 9, 2016, appealed the development officer’s decision to the Board; and 3) on December 16, 2016, filed a Notice of Action against the Province of New Brunswick (hereafter, for simplicity, reference to DTI includes the Crown as the defendant in this proceeding) and the Commission, seeking, among other things, a declaratory order of entitlement to revalidation of its tentative plan. [ 21 ] Consistent with its practice of renewing (more or less annually) its tentative subdivision plan, in December 2015, Eastland again requested approval, based on the same 2012 Tentative Plan.
Given DTI’s previous rejection of the street, the development officer again refused to give his approval to the plan. [ 22 ] In June 2017, the Board stayed Eastland’s appeal to it, pending the disposition of Eastland’s application to the Court of Queen’s Bench for judicial review. D. Eastland’s application to the Court of Queen’s Bench for judicial review of the decisions of both DTI and the development officer
[ 23 ] At the hearing of the application for judicial review, DTI and the Commission both argued for its dismissal. They maintained Eastland was required to first exhaust its statutory right of appeal to the Board. DTI also maintained that judicial review was not available since the Minister had not made a decision under s. 55(2), and there was no decision capable of review.
Section 55(2) provides for the Minister’s assent to subdivision plans, not tentative plans (now in s. 87 of the Act ). [ 24 ] While there was no expectation DTI would be a party before the Board, or that the Board could grant relief against DTI, the application judge concluded Eastland was required to first exhaust its statutory right to appeal the development officer’s decision. She stayed Eastland’s application (as well as its action), pending disposal of its appeal to the Board. E.
Eastland’s appeal to the Board of the development officer’s decision [ 25 ] Eastland’s appeal of the decision to deny approval of its tentative plan was brought on the basis that the development officer had misapplied the Act ( s. 120(1) (d)). In its response, the Commission asked the Board to confirm that the officer had not misapplied the Act . [ 26 ] As a preliminary matter before the Board, Eastland maintained the Board lacked jurisdiction to hear its appeal since the decision to reject its tentative plan was effectively a decision by DTI, and the Board had no authority to review that decision.
Eastland pointed out that, if the Board accepted it did not have the power to review DTI’s decision, it would return to the Court of Queen’s Bench for a determination of its application for judicial review of the decisions of both DTI and the development officer. [ 27 ] The Board acknowledged it could not make a decision that would bind DTI. For this reason, the Board stated it did not need to address either Eastland’s claim it had satisfied DTI’s requirements regarding the proposed street, or the substantial body of technical evidence related to that issue.
In relation to the decision of the development officer, the Board concluded he had not misapplied the Act in refusing to approve Eastland’s plan. [ 28 ] However, the Board concluded it should neither dismiss the appeal nor order the development officer to approve Eastland’s tentative plan, as provided in s. 121(4). The Board reasoned that neither option would assist the parties in relation to a resolution of DTI’s requirements regarding the street , since DTI was not a party and would not be bound by the Board’s decision.
It stated: While the Board is of the opinion that in the circumstances of this present appeal, the Development Officer has not misapplied the Act , the Board is of the opinion that because such a ruling would not assist either [Eastland] or the [Commission] in resolving the difference of opinions on various technical issues, due to the fact that DTI, is not a party to this appeal .
Likewise, the Board has chosen not to order the Development Officer to approve the request for re-approval of the tentative plan for the same reason. [Emphasis added.] [ 29 ] Instead, the Board decided to refer the matter back to the development officer, with directions, which, as will be explained more fully below, in my opinion, are intended for DTI and reflect the Board’s recommendation that DTI adopt the practice of reapproving previously approved tentative plans, unless there has been a change in DTI’s road construction standards, and/or the parties negotiate a resolution of its requirements for approval of the street.
The Board’s decision dated May 6, 2019, states: 1. The question of the re-approval of the tentative plan […] be referred back to the Development Officer for a reconsideration pursuant to the provisions of the Act and applicable subdivision by-law [...] 2. That the [Commission] submit the application for re-approval of the tentative plan with the following recommendations: (
a) We recommend that the established practice of re-approving a tentative plan once it has been approved be accepted as standard practice, unless there have been changes in construction standards. That consistency is a requirement for developers and for Development Officers. In particular developers must have a strong assurance that their approved tentative plans can be relied upon as they proceed from phase to phase; and
(
b) That the parties make every effort to resolve the four issues which were raised in the letter of September 3, 2015 by Norm Coté and that all parties use all expertise available to resolve the said issues as soon as possible. [Emphasis added.] [ 30 ] In an apparent effort to further assist, the Board stated that it was retaining jurisdiction to deal with any issues, or to provide directions as a result of its order. F.
Reconsideration by the development officer after the Board’s decision [ 31 ] Acting on the Board’s order, the development officer sent a copy of the Board’s decision to DTI, along with a request for it to “re-evaluate” Eastland’s tentative plan. DTI, in its response of May 27, 2019, did not address the substance of the plan or its position, and instead asked the development officer a number of questions, ostensibly inquiring as to the meaning and/or effect of the Board’s order.
Given it appeared to the development officer that DTI would not “re-evaluate” the tentative plan, let alone change its earlier position, he advised Eastland on June 27, 2019, that he “must again refuse to approve” the plan. He also suggested Eastland contact DTI if it required clarification of DTI’s position. G.
The Commission’s application for judicial review of the Board’s decision [ 32 ] Notwithstanding the development officer had acted substantially as ordered by the Board and reconsidered the plan, the Commission applied to the Court of Queen’s Bench on July 31, 2019, for judicial review of the Board’s decision. [ 33 ] In a decision issued in August 2020, the application judge concluded it was “unnecessary and unreasonable to send the matter back to” the development officer, and she quashed that part of the Board’s decision.
In her brief reasons for decision, the judge considered the circumstances of the case, including that DTI had the authority to require compliance with road construction standards and that the development officer “‘did not misapply the Act ’ in reaching his decision not to approve the tentative plan.” III.
Issues on Appeal [ 34 ] Eastland maintains the application judge erred in deciding the Board’s decision was unreasonable, since she: 1) misapprehended the Board’s decision, by wrongly viewing it as effectively compelling the development officer to approve Eastland’s tentative plan ; 2) failed to consider the absence of regulatory changes to justify the refusal to reapprove a previously approved tentative plan; 3) failed to consider the Board’s statutory authority to refer the matter back with directions; and 4) failed to properly apply the reasonableness standard to the review of the Board’s decision. IV.
Standard of Review [ 35 ] The parties agree the application judge was correct to apply a reasonableness standard to her review of the Board’s decision. I agree. The issue is whether she applied that standard correctly. As Drapeau C.J.N.B (as he then was) explained in Her Majesty the Queen in Right of the Province of New Brunswick, as represented by the Minister of Education v. Kennedy et al. , 2015 NBCA 58 , [2015] N.B.J. No. 251 (QL) :
On appeal from the disposition of an application for judicial review of administrative action, the Court must determine whether the application judge identified and applied correctly the governing standard of review: Agraira , at para. 45. In determining whether that standard was applied correctly, the Court steps into the shoes of the application judge: Merck Frosst Canada Ltd. v. Canada (Health) , 2012 SCC 3 , [2012] 1 S.C.R. 23 , at para. 247 . [para. 81] (See also Canadian Union of Public Employees, Local 60 v.
City of Edmundston , 2016 NBCA 3 , 445 N.B.R. (2d) 180 , at para. 11 ; O’Connell, as the Registrar of Motor Vehicles for the Province of New Brunswick v. Maxwell , 2016 NBCA 37 , 451 N.B.R. (2d) 283 , at para. 21 ; Ayangma v. Université de Moncton, Moncton Campus et al. , 2019 NBCA 73 , [2019] N.B.J. No. 292 (QL) , at para. 14 .) V. Analysis A. D id the application judge misapprehend the Board’s decision? [ 36 ] Eastland maintains the application judge misapprehended the Board’s decision by interpreting it as effectively compelling the development officer to approve its tentative plan.
I do not construe the Board’s decision in this manner, nor do I agree the judge’s decision flowed from such an
interpretation. [ 37 ] While the judge did characterize the Board’s order as stopping “just short” of directing the development officer how to decide the matter, she recognized the Board did not go that far. She observed, correctly, that “[n]either the Board nor this Court can direct an official who has statutory discretion to exercise that discretion in a particular way” and provided authority for this statement, based on the availability of mandamus . I disagree this indicates she mistakenly interpreted the Board’s decision.
These comments are obiter and were not the basis on which she found the Board’s decision was unreasonable. [ 38 ] However, this ground of appeal highlights differing allegations and views regarding the Board’s order. I do not agree with what appears to be the judge’s impression that the Board’s “recommendations” were directed at the development officer.
Similarly, I do not agree with the Commission’s claim that the Board’s order leaves the development officer in an “untenable position,” by either requiring him to reconsider Eastland’s plan in view of “the established practice of reapproving a tentative plan once it has been approved” or seeking to have him approve the rejected plan, regardless of DTI’s position. This is not the only
interpretation advanced by the Commission. Its initial claim expressed a different construction of the Board’s order. It maintained the Board effectively attempted to force DTI’s hand while retaining jurisdiction to deal with issues that are “likely outside the scope of the Act . ” I agree generally with this characterization of the Board’s directions, and I view the development officer’s actions following the Board’s order to be consistent with the Board’s directions.
Recall, as noted above, the development officer acted on the Board’s order in May/June 2019, before the judicial review application was filed, by requesting DTI to reconsider the previously rejected plan in accordance with the Board’s order and, when there was no indication that DTI would change its position, he advised Eastland that he could not approve the plan. [ 39 ] In my view, what the Board sought to achieve is plain from its order. In the first of the order’s two paragraphs, the Board refers the matter back to the development officer for reconsideration.
In the second paragraph, it directs the Commission to submit the application with specified recommendations. I construe this part of the Board’s order to be targeted at DTI. [ 40 ] Even if it were not clear from the order alone, the Board’s reasons indicate that its recommendations are meant for DTI, the non-party, which the Board described as the “elephant in the room,” and whose decision caused the development officer not to reapprove the plan. The Board recognized that the development officer would have approved/reapproved Eastland’s plan but for DTI’s position.
The Board sought to assist the parties by seeking to achieve a resolution of the only obstacle to the approval of Eastland’s plan, that is, DTI’s objection to the proposed street. This effort was based on the expectation or hope its recommendation, that “the established practice of reapproving a tentative plan once it has been approved be accepted as standard practice , unless there have been changes in construction standards,” (emphasis added) might carry some weight with DTI. However, as the Board readily acknowledged, it had no authority over, or power to bind, DTI.
Further, there can be no doubt the Board’s order respecting changes to “construction standards” is a specific reference to DTI’s road construction standards, which were part of the record before the Board. Also consistent with DTI being the object of the Board’s recommendations, the Board advised that consistency from DTI “is a requirement for developers and for Development Officers.” The Board also recommended, in the alternative it seems to me, that the “parties” negotiate a resolution of the issues identified in DTI’s September 2015 letter.
Although DTI was not a “party” before the Board, it is clear the Board included it in the group it was encouraging to negotiate a resolution. [ 41 ] Lastly, despite some suggestion to the contrary, nothing in the decision or order suggests the Board sought to have the development officer approve the existing plan in the absence of a change in DTI’s position. In fact, the Board expressly stated it would not order the development officer to approve the plan. This was not because there had been no misapplication of the Act , but
because DTI was not a party, and a Board decision would not bind DTI. It was apparent there would be no real advantage to approving the tentative plan without the assent of DTI, which was effectively the situation when the development officer approved the plan in 2013 (without seeking further input from DTI). Any such approval of the tentative plan would simply defer the impasse with DTI until it would become necessary to secure DTI’s assent to the final subdivision plan, as required under s. 87(1) of the Act .
This said, it is apparent that, at this point, Eastland would be content to have that result rather than nothing. B. Did the application judge fail to consider that the refusal to reapprove the tentative plan was not based on regulatory changes? [ 42 ] Eastland claims the application judge failed to consider there had been no legislative or regulatory changes to justify the refusal to reapprove a previously approved tentative plan, and thereby gave no consideration to its right to procedural fairness. [ 43 ] There is no merit to this submission. The relevant facts are undisputed.
When DTI withheld its approval, it advised its prior approval had expired, in December 2013, and it did not indicate any intervening change to construction standards. No such change has since been identified. In relation to the development officer, the Board concluded his decision not to reapprove as a consequence of DTI’s position was appropriate and not the result of a misapplication of the Act . Regardless, whatever rights to procedural fairness attached to that decision were fulfilled by the appeal to the Board.
To the extent Eastland makes the same claim in relation to DTI’s decision, that will be a matter for Eastland’s judicial review application against DTI, which can proceed after this matter is concluded. C. Did the application judge fail to consider the Board’s statutory authority? Did she decide the Board’s decision was unreasonable by interpreting s. 121(5) to be inoperative unless the grounds for the appeal are made out? [ 44 ] I cannot agree the application judge failed to consider the Board’s statutory authority to refer the matter back when she determined the Board’s decision was unreasonable.
In her decision, the judge expressly refers to ss. 121(5) and (6). [ 45 ] The jurisdiction for the Board to hear Eastland’s appeal is found in s. 120(1) (d).
It permits a person to appeal to the Board where it is alleged that “the refusal of the development officer to approve a tentative plan […] resulted from the misapplication of this Act or a subdivision by-law” (emphasis added). [ 46 ] The Board is required to hear and determine all appeals, except where it “decides there are insufficient grounds for hearing an appeal” (s. 120(2)). [ 47 ] With respect to a development officer’s refusal to approve a tentative plan, the Board may: (1) dismiss the appeal; or (2) order the development officer to approve the tentative plan (s. 121(4)). [ 48 ] Also, and providing the foundation for the Board’s decision in this case, the Act provides that, “[i]n addition to any other authority that the Board may have under this section, the Board may refer a matter back to […] the development officer that made the decision that is the subject of the appeal ” (s. 121(5)), and, where it does so, “ the Board may provide directions ” (s. 121(6)(b)) (emphasis added). [ 49 ] Although the Board determined the development officer did not misapply the Act in rendering the decision appealed, it decided it could and should refer the matter back to him, with directions, pursuant to ss. 121(5) and (6) .
In doing so, the Board “followed the guidance found in the decision”: Crooks v. Build Insp. Rural P.D.C. , 2002 NBAPAB 3 . [ 50 ] Crooks is not directly on point. That case involved an appeal to the Board of a building inspector’s refusal to grant a permit to allow a second residence (a mini-home) on a property because the District Medical Health Officer refused to give his approval.
The Board did not accept the basis for the Health Officer’s denial of his approval, and it ordered the application be returned to the building inspector, with directions to re-submit a request to the Health Officer with the Board’s recommendations. However, the inspector’s decision was appealed on the basis that it would cause a special or unreasonable hardship (not that it resulted from a misapplication of the Act ), and the Board accepted that there was a “special or unreasonable hardship.” Thus, in Crooks , the grounds for the appeal were established.
[ 51 ] On appeal to this Court, Eastland cites MacKay v. Forbes , 1998 NBAPAB 28 , as additional authority for the Board’s decision. In MacKay , the Board referred a request to approve a tentative plan back to a development officer, with similar directions to those in the case before us.
However, in MacKay , the Board did so after determining that the development officer had misapplied the Act . [ 52 ] Admittedly, the application judge does not expressly address the Board’s determination that it had the authority to make an order referring the matter back, nor does she indicate how she interpreted ss. 121(5) and/or (6). However, I do not construe her decision as grounded in the determination that s. 121(5) has only one reasonable
interpretation, that is, s. 121(5) is inoperative where the grounds for the appeal of the development officer’s decision are not made out . [ 53 ] First, the judge does not state this.
Presumably, this is because the Commission’s challenge, by judicial review, to the Board’s decision did not claim the Board has no authority to send a matter back, under s. 121(5), where the grounds for the appeal have not been made out. [ 54 ] The Commission’s application for judicial review claimed the Board’s order “ relating to the reapproval of the tentative plan ” (emphasis added) is in excess of jurisdiction, incorrect or, alternatively, unreasonable in that “it is not authorized by the provisions of” the Act .
Despite the breadth of this claim, the focus of the Commission’s challenge is reflected in its response to Eastland’s position that the judge failed to consider the Board’s statutory authority to refer a matter back. The Commission states that “[l]ooking at the Board’s authority to send a matter back to the development officer misses the point,” and it emphasizes its concerns regarding the impact of the specific directions given by the Board.
As noted, it maintains the Board’s order “did put the development officer in an untenable position” by: (1) requiring him to reconsider Eastland’s plan “in view of ‘… the established practice of reapproving a tentative plan once it has been approved …’”; and (2) effectively seeking to have him approve the rejected plan, regardless of DTI’s refusal to give its assent to the proposed street and/or plan .
Such concerns were also the focus of the Commission’s submissions to the judge. [ 55 ] Second, the judge’s reference in her reasons to additional key facts and circumstances regarding the Board’s decision indicates her decision was grounded in a broader analysis, one which assessed the reasonableness of the Board’s decision in view of all the applicable constraints, including that the development officer did not misapply the Act and the Board had no power to bind DTI.
In my view, it was this analysis that formed the basis for the judge’s determination that the decision to refer the matter back, on the specific directions made, was “unnecessary and unreasonable.” [ 56 ] As was the case before the judge, before this Court, the Board’s determination that it had the authority to refer the matter back under s. 121(5) was not challenged. This said, following questioning by this Court regarding the Board’s authority to make an order under s. 121(5) where the grounds for the appeal have not been made out, the Commission said the provision was not applicable.
However, since the issue was not raised by the parties, and there were no meaningful submissions in relation to it, I will not determine whether the Board’s order was unreasonable solely because its
interpretation of s. 121(5), when there is no misapplication of the Act , is not sustainable. Moreover, the determination of that issue, either way, would not change my disposition of this appeal. The matter will be left for another day. To be clear, it may very well be that the legislative intent is to give the Board the authority to refer the matter back regardless of whether the grounds for appeal have been made out. D.
Did the application judge fail to correctly apply the reasonableness standard? [ 57 ] Eastland maintains the application judge failed to properly apply the reasonableness standard in her review of the Board’s decision; it submits she failed to grant the required level of deference, arguing the Board is an expert tribunal, which conducted a rational analysis of the issues (including Eastland’s legitimate expectations) and rendered a decision that was reasonably based, practically explained, informatively adjudicated, and fully within its jurisdiction. I cannot agree.
In my opinion, the judge correctly applied the reasonableness standard. [ 58 ] As explained by the Supreme Court, “a reasonable decision is one that is based on an internally coherent and rational chain of analysis and that is justified in relation to the facts and law that constrain the decision maker. The reasonableness standard requires that a reviewing court defer to such a decision” ( Canada (Minister of Citizenship and Immigration) v. Vavilov , 2019 SCC 65 , [2019] S.C.J.
No. 65 (QL) , at para. 85 ). [ 59 ] This is not a situation where the Board’s decision lacks transparency, or its rationale cannot be ascertained. The difficulty lies with the analysis that grounded its decision and whether it may be justified in relation to the facts and law that constrain the exercise of the Board’s authority. As explained in Vavilov :
Similarly, the internal rationality of a decision may be called into question if the reasons exhibit clear logical fallacies, such as circular reasoning, false dilemmas, unfounded generalizations or an absurd premise. This is not an invitation to hold administrative decision makers to the formalistic constraints and standards of academic logicians.
However, a reviewing court must ultimately be satisfied that the decision maker’s reasoning “adds up ”. [para. 104] [Emphasis added.] [ 60 ] In addition, in relation to the legal and factual constraints that bear on the decision under review, the Supreme Court stated: In addition to the need for internally coherent reasoning, a decision, to be reasonable, must be justified in relation to the constellation of law and facts that are relevant to the decision [references omitted].
Elements of the legal and factual contexts of a decision operate as constraints on the decision maker in the exercise of its delegated powers. It is unnecessary to catalogue all of the legal or factual considerations that could constrain an administrative decision maker in a particular case. However, […] a number of elements […] will generally be relevant in evaluating whether a given decision is reasonable, namely the governing statutory scheme; other relevant statutory or common law; the principles of statutory
interpretation; the evidence before the decision maker and facts of which the decision maker may take notice; the submissions of the parties; the past practices and decisions of the administrative body; and the potential impact of the decision on the individual to whom it applies. These elements are not a checklist for conducting reasonableness review, and they may vary in significance depending on the context.
They are offered merely to highlight some elements of the surrounding context that can cause a reviewing court to lose confidence in the outcome reached. […] Because administrative decision makers receive their powers by statute, the governing statutory scheme is likely to be the most salient aspect of the legal context relevant to a particular decision.
That administrative decision makers play a role, along with courts, in elaborating the precise content of the administrative schemes they administer should not be taken to mean that administrative decision makers are permitted to disregard or rewrite the law as enacted by Parliament and the provincial legislatures.
Thus, for example, while an administrative body may have considerable discretion in making a particular decision, that decision must ultimately comply “with the rationale and purview of the statutory scheme under which it is adopted” […]. [paras. 105-106 and 108] [Emphasis added.] [ 61 ] The Board’s reasons for referring the matter back to the development officer are clearly explained.
It concluded that neither dismissing Eastland’s appeal nor directing the development officer to approve Eastland’s tentative plan would resolve the sole, underlying obstacle to the plan’s approval: DTI’s requirements regarding the street. The Board wanted to assist with solving this outstanding issue.
With this goal, it turned to the only statutory tool left at its disposal and, guided by Crooks , it fashioned an order. [ 62 ] However, apart from its clearly expressed desire to assist in the resolution of issues with DTI, which were beyond its reach, and to follow Crooks , the Board’s decision provides little to explain or justify its basis for deciding it had the authority to make an order under s. 121(5), or that it should exercise that authority in view of the relevant legal or factual considerations. [ 63 ] In relation to being guided by Crooks , the Board did not address the significance of the distinction between that case and this one, as a consequence of having found the development officer had not misapplied the Act , which, as the Board noted, was the sole ground of appeal in this case.
It appears the Board did not do so because it did not consider the distinction relevant. While the distinction is not determinative of the issue, it is apparent that, in interpreting s. 121(5) as conferring the authority to refer the matter back to the development officer absent a misapplication of the Act , the Board did not have or consider any prior decision of the Board on point.
Since it relied on Crooks , it did not otherwise conduct an interpretative analysis of the provision. [ 64 ] The Board’s reasons also rely entirely on Crooks to justify referring the matter back for the purpose of influencing DTI, a non-party, with its directions. Crooks does not identify the principles that would guide or constrain the exercise of the
authority to send a matter back and/or to give directions, and the Board did not identify any such principles. [ 65 ] Undoubtedly, the operative provisions collectively provide the Board with a broad discretion; however, the authority is not unlimited, and the discretion conferred must be exercised in a principled manner that is justifiable in relation to the Act and the circumstances before the Board. [ 66 ] The relevant considerations derive from the words of the provisions, read in the context of the Act .
Section 121(5) permits a matter to be referred back to “ the development officer that made the decision ” that is the subject of the appeal (emphasis added). When this occurs, the development officer “may affirm, revoke or vary the decision” (s. 121(6)(a)). [ 67 ] That the matter may be referred back to the development officer, who can affirm, revoke or vary his decision, is of no small consequence in relation to determining both the intent and the scope of the Board’s authority to refer the matter back, as well as its authority to provide directions, under s. 121(6).
This is not to say that, if the provisions are interpreted liberally, the object of the referral and the directions may have as their focus issues that are collateral or peripheral to the development officer’s decision, as was the case in Crooks and MacKay ; however, in my view, the order must be justifiably linked to the development officer’s reconsideration of the decision appealed. [ 68 ] Such considerations did not factor into the Board’s decision.
In this case, the order contemplated by the Board had to be considered in view of its conclusion the development officer had not misapplied the Act , the order and directions were not intended to cause him to reconsider his decision, absent a change in DTI’s position, and the basis for the order and the directions was to influence DTI, over which the Board had no authority. Additionally, there is the position of the parties before the Board.
Recall that Eastland’s initial position before the Board was that it did not have jurisdiction to review DTI’s decision, which it argued was the real or operative decision that prevented its plan from being approved. It advised the Board that, if the Board accepted this position, the parties would return to the Court of Queen’s Bench to continue their application and have DTI’s decision reviewed in that forum. [ 69 ] Further, there are practical considerations that reduced the efficacy, if any, of sending the matter back for the purposes identified by the Board.
Its recommendations did not raise anything new in relation to what was a five-year-old dispute over the acceptability of the street, other than, possibly the Board’s opinion that “the established practice of reapproving a tentative plan once it has been approved.” Moreover, the Board was fully aware of Eastland’s pending application for judicial review against DTI in relation to the very issue the Board sought to influence, and which had been stayed until the merits of the appeal to the Board were decided. In essence, the order made by the Board only provided an opportunity to settle that dispute.
It should be remembered that the Act requires the Board to determine all appeals, unless it “decides there are insufficient grounds for hearing an appeal” (s. 120(2)). [ 70 ] It is against this background, and with these constraints, that the Board, undoubtedly well intentioned, ordered the development officer to reconsider a tentative plan, which the record makes clear he has been, and is, prepared to accept were DTI to give its assent. The Board targeted DTI with its directions in the hope it would consensually change its position.
Given the circumstances of this case, including the outstanding proceedings against DTI since 2015, I conclude, as the application judge did, the Board’s order is “unnecessary and unreasonable.” [ 71 ] It appears to me, as it did to the judge, absent a consensual change to DTI’s position, the parties were on their way back to the Court of Queen’s Bench, where DTI could be bound by an adjudication of the issues. The Board’s efforts to indirectly assist may be in other cases a justifiable exercise of its authority to refer a matter back but were unreasonable in this case. VI.
Conclusion [ 72 ] It is for these reasons, that on March 2, 2021, I joined my colleagues in dismissing the appeal with costs of $2,500. Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par
LE JUGE FRENCH I. Introduction [1] La Cour est saisie de l’appel d’une décision d’une juge de la Cour du Banc de la Reine qui a infirmé, au motif qu’elle était déraisonnable, une décision de la Commission d’appel en matière d’évaluation et d’urbanisme [la Commission d’appel] . [2] En septembre 2015, un agent d’aménagement a refusé de donner son approbation à un plan provisoire de lotissement parce que le ministère des Transports et de l’Infrastructure avait refusé de donner son assentiment à la rue publique proposée figurant sur le plan.
Le ministère des Transports et de l’Infrastructure avait précédemment indiqué qu’il était disposé à approuver la rue et le plan en question. [3] En novembre 2015, la propriétaire du lotissement projeté, Eastland Realty Limited, a déposé une requête en révision des décisions à la fois du ministère des Transports et de l’Infrastructure et de l’agent d’aménagement. Eastland a également interjeté appel de la décision de l’agent d’aménagement à la Commission d’appel.
Eastland a tout d’abord voulu faire instruire sa requête en révision, mais cette instance a été suspendue en 2018 par une autre juge de la Cour du Banc de la Reine qui a estimé qu’Eastland devait tout d’abord exercer son droit d’appeler de la décision de l’agent d’aménagement à la Commission d’appel. [4] En mai 2019, la Commission d’appel a tranché l’appel qu’avait interjeté Eastland de la décision de l’agent d’aménagement en renvoyant à l’agent d’aménagement, en vue de son réexamen, la demande d’Eastland visant à ce que son plan soit approuvé à nouveau.
La Commission d’appel a conclu que l’agent n’avait pas appliqué le texte législatif pertinent de façon erronée; elle a toutefois conclu qu’elle pourrait aider les parties à résoudre les questions ne relevant pas d’elle en renvoyant l’affaire à l’agent d’aménagement et en ordonnant que le plan soit remis au ministère des Transports et de l’Infrastructure, accompagné de la recommandation de la Commission d’appel indiquant : (1) au ministère de reconsidérer la rue proposée et d’adopter la pratique établie qui consiste à approuver à nouveau les plans précédemment approuvés, sauf s’il y a eu des modifications à ses normes de construction des chemins; et (2) aux parties de négocier la résolution des problèmes ou exigences soulevés par le ministère relativement à la rue en question. [5] L’agent d’aménagement a suivi les directives de la Commission d’appel; toutefois, le ministère des Transports et de l’Infrastructure n’a pas modifié sa position et l’agent a de nouveau refusé d’approuver le plan.
Subséquemment, l’intimée, la Commission de services régionaux du Sud-Est (représentée par l’agent d’aménagement ) [la Commission], a déposé, en juillet 2019, la requête en révision de la décision de la Commission d’appel dont il est question en l’espèce . [6] Nous avons rejeté l’appel interjeté par Eastland à l’encontre de la décision de la juge saisie de la requête. Eastland peut maintenant aller de l’avant avec la requête en révision des décisions du ministère des Transports et de l’Infrastructure et de l’agent d’aménagement qu’elle a déposée en 2015. II.
Le contexte [7] En juillet 1997, Eastland a reçu la première d’une série d’approbations du plan provisoire de lotissement relatif au lotissement Forest Brook Estates qu’elle proposait. Le plan original illustrait la configuration des lots et des rues pour les trois phases du lotissement projeté.
L’approbation a été donnée par l’agent d’aménagement de la Commission du district d’aménagement du Grand Moncton (la prédécesseure de l’intimée). [8] À la suite de l’approbation initiale de son plan provisoire en 1997, Eastland a demandé et obtenu que son plan soit à nouveau approuvé presque chaque année par la suite, jusqu’en 2013; toutefois, la demande de renouvellement de l’approbation qu’elle a faite en décembre 2014 a été rejetée en septembre 2015, tout d’abord par le ministère des Transports et de l’Infrastructure et ensuite par l’agent d’aménagement.
À ce moment-là, seule la troisième et dernière phase du lotissement était provisoire. Les deux premières phases étaient achevées et des plans définitifs de lotissement avaient été enregistrés en ce qui les concernait. [9] Il est utile d’exposer brièvement les exigences législatives clefs en matière d’approbation des plans de
lotissement et, en particulier, des plans qui ont pour objet la dévolution d’une rue publique à la Couronne. La
Loi sur l’urbanisme , L.N.- B. 2017, ch. 19 (la Loi ), contient les dispositions suivantes : • La personne qui sollicite l’approbation d’un plan de lotissement doit présenter à l’agent d’aménagement une demande écrite d’approbation d’un plan provisoire de lotissement (par. 81(1)); • Le plan provisoire doit indiquer l’emplacement des rues projetées (al. 81(2)c)); • Avant d’approuver le plan provisoire, l’agent d’aménagement doit procéder à une révision afin d’assurer la conformité du plan avec les normes et exigences d’approbation courantes (par. 81(3)); • Un plan provisoire approuvé est « nu[l] et non aven[u] à l’expiration d’un délai d’un an » à compter de la date de son approbation (art. 82); • La personne dont le plan de lotissement a été approuvé peut entreprendre de marquer le tracé des lots, des rues, etc., en conformité avec le plan provisoire (par. 83(1)) et présenter à l’agent d’aménagement une demande écrite d’approbation d’un plan de lotissement concernant tout ou
partie du terrain visé par le plan provisoire (par. 84(1)); • Lorsque le plan de lotissement d’un terrain situé dans une communauté rurale prévoit le tracé de rues publiques, « son approbation émanant de l’agent d’aménagement ne peut être accordée tant que le plan n’a pas reçu l’assentiment du ministre des Transports et de l’Infrastructure » ( par. 87(1) ); • L’approbation du plan de lotissement n’est valable que pour une période d’un an, à moins que le plan ne soit déposé au bureau d’enregistrement des biens-fonds avant l’expiration du délai (par. 86(2)); • Le plan de lotissement approuvé est valide une fois qu’il est déposé au bureau d’enregistrement des biens-fonds (par. 85(4)) et, au moment du dépôt, les terrains « y indiqués à
titre de rues sont dès lors dévolus à la Couronne » comme le prévoit la Loi ( par. 87(4) ). [10] La Loi n’exige pas expressément qu’un plan provisoire soit approuvé par le ministère des Transports et de l’Infrastructure. Toutefois, lorsqu’un plan provisoire prévoit le tracé d’une rue qui, si le plan était un plan de lotissement, nécessiterait l’approbation du ministère des Transports et de l’Infrastructure (aux termes du par. 87(2)), l’agent d’aménagement doit transmettre une copie du plan au ministère des Transports et de l’Infrastructure (al. 77(1)g)).
Dans la pratique, l’agent d’aménagement n’approuve le plan provisoire que si le ministère des Transports et de l’Infrastructure indique qu’il acceptera la rue en question . [11] Le texte législatif qui a précédé l’actuelle Loi était la
Loi sur l’urbanisme , L.R.N.-B. 1973, ch. C-12, et c’est cette dernière qui était applicable lorsque le plan a été rejeté. Les dispositions pertinentes demeurent essentiellement les mêmes, et la Commission d’appel s’est reportée aux dispositions de la Loi dans la décision qu’elle a rendue en 2019. Nul ne prétend que les modifications apportées ont une quelconque incidence sur les questions qui nous occupent en l’espèce. A.
L’approbation du plan provisoire présenté par Eastland en 2012 [12] En 2012, Eastland a présenté un plan provisoire, et révisé, de lotissement en vue de son approbation (le « plan provisoire de 2012 »). Les révisions concernaient la rue et l’entrée de la phase 3 et elles résultaient de consultations tenues entre Eastland, le ministère des Transports et de l’Infrastructure et la Commission du district d’aménagement du Grand Moncton.
À l’issue de ces discussions, le ministère des Transports et de l’Infrastructure a fait savoir qu’il était [TRADUCTION] « revenu » sur sa position initiale concernant l’acceptabilité de la rue et qu’il accorderait son [TRADUCTION] « approbation » au plan provisoire.
Dans un courriel envoyé le 18 décembre 2012, le ministère des Transports et de l’Infrastructure a informé Eastland de ce qui suit : [TRADUCTION] Lors d’un examen plus attentif du dossier, le ministère des Transports et de l’Infrastructure a réexaminé le plan provisoire présenté et il accordera son approbation au plan à la condition que l’accès par la rue à la route 106 soit construit à l’intérieur de l’emprise d’une façon qui garantisse une distance de visibilité maximale vers l’ouest […].
J’enverrai une lettre révisée à la Commission d’aménagement. [13] On pouvait lire ce qui suit dans la lettre révisée, datée du 20 décembre 2012, que le ministère des Transports et de l’Infrastructure a fait parvenir à la Commission du district d’aménagement du Grand Moncton : [TRADUCTION]
Le cul-de-sac futur et public projeté qui est indiqué sur le plan provisoire de lotissement susmentionné est jugé acceptable par le ministère des Transports et de l’Infrastructure. Cette approbation est donnée sous réserve des dispositions du paragraphe 54(2) de la Loi sur l’urbanisme .
Lorsque la Commission du district d’aménagement du Grand Moncton recommandera la rue publique et future qui est projetée au ministre des Transports et de l’Infrastructure et lorsque l’agent d’aménagement approuvera un plan provisoire, la rue publique et future qui est envisagée sera jugée acceptable par le ministère des Transports et de l’Infrastructure une fois les conditions suivantes remplies […]. [C’est moi qui souligne.] [14] Fort de la réception de cette approbation, l’agent d’aménagement a approuvé, le 21 décembre 2012, le plan provisoire de 2012 pour une autre année. [15] Comme elle l’avait fait les années précédentes, Eastland a demandé à l’agent d’aménagement, en 2013, d’approuver à nouveau son plan provisoire.
Cette fois encore, elle a présenté le plan provisoire de 2012. Puisque le plan était identique à celui qui avait été approuvé l’année précédente, l’agent d’aménagement ne l’a pas transmis au ministère des Transports et de l’Infrastructure avant d’accorder son approbation pour une autre année. B. Le refus d’approuver à nouveau le plan provisoire de 2012 [16] En décembre 2014, toutefois, lorsqu’Eastland a de nouveau voulu faire renouveler l’approbation du plan provisoire de 2012, sa demande a été rejetée.
Contrairement à l’année précédente, l’agent d’aménagement a transmis le plan au ministère des Transports et de l’Infrastructure, bien qu’il fût inchangé par rapport à celui de 2012. Pour des raisons qui ne sont pas évidentes à la lecture du dossier, le ministère des Transports et de l’Infrastructure n’a répondu que neuf mois plus tard, après que l’agent d’aménagement se fut renseigné sur l’éventuelle réception des commentaires du ministère.
Quoi qu’il en soit, dans une lettre datée du 3 septembre 2015, le ministère des Transports et de l’Infrastructure a informé l’agent d’aménagement que la rue projetée n’ était pas acceptable et a souligné que son approbation antérieure était venue à expiration en décembre 2013 : [TRADUCTION] Le ministère des Transports et de l’Infrastructure juge inacceptable la rue publique projetée qui est indiquée sur le plan provisoire de lotissement en question.
Le promoteur doit respecter ou dépasser la norme provinciale énoncée dans le guide intitulé Guide des normes minimales pour la construction de chemins et de rues de lotissement avant que le Ministre accepte la rue comme rue publique. Plus précisément : • la longueur du cul-de-sac dépasse la longueur maximale qui est de 365 mètres, • […]. Il est à remarquer que l’approbation précédente que nous avons transmise à votre bureau le 20 décembre 2012 a été accordée sous réserve des dispositions du paragraphe 54(2) de la
Loi sur l’urbanisme . Cette approbation est donc venue à expiration le 20 décembre 2013. [17] Étant donné le refus du ministère des Transports et de l’Infrastructure d’approuver le tracé de la rue, l’agent d’aménagement a refusé de donner son approbation au plan provisoire de 2012. On s’entend pour reconnaître que, si le ministère des Transports et de l’Infrastructure avait donné son assentiment, l’agent d’aménagement aurait approuvé le plan.
Il a encouragé Eastland à traiter directement avec le ministère des Transports et de l’Infrastructure en ce qui concernait les exigences formulées par ce dernier pour l’approbation de la rue. [18] Eastland soutient que si le ministère des Transports et de l’Infrastructure a modifié sa position concernant la rue en question ce n’est pas en raison d’une modification tangible de la politique du ministère ou des normes de construction des chemins. Ces normes sont énoncées dans le Guide des normes minimales pour la construction de chemins et de rues de lotissement de 2003.
Aucune preuve n’établit le contraire et, devant nous, cette prétention est incontestée.
[19] Les parties s’entendent pour reconnaître que les objections du ministère des Transports et de l’Infrastructure se rapportant à la rue sont le seul obstacle à l’approbation du plan. Ainsi que l’indique le mémoire que la Commission a déposé devant notre Cour, si le ministère des Transports et de l’Infrastructure donne son approbation à la rue projetée, [TRADUCTION] « l’agent d’aménagement n’aura pas vraiment d’autre choix que d’approuver le plan provisoire ». C.
Les instances engagées par Eastland en réponse au refus [20] En réponse au rejet, en septembre 2015, de sa demande en vue du renouvellement de l’approbation de son plan, Eastland a 1) le 30 novembre 2015, déposé devant la Cour du Banc de la Reine une requête en révision des décisions à la fois du ministère des Transports et de l’Infrastructure et de l’agent d’aménagement; 2) le 9 février 2016, interjeté appel de la décision de l’agent d’aménagement à la Commission d’appel; 3) le 16 décembre 2016, déposé contre la Province du Nouveau-Brunswick (par souci de simplicité, la mention du ministère des Transports et de l’Infrastructure s’entend aussi, ci-après, du ministère public en qualité de défendeur dans l’instance) et la Commission un avis de poursuite dans lequel elle sollicitait notamment une ordonnance déclaratoire établissant son droit à ce que son plan provisoire soit de nouveau validé. [21] Conformément à l’habitude qu’elle avait de renouveler (plus ou moins chaque anné
e) son plan provisoire de lotissement, Eastland a, en décembre 2015, de nouveau demandé son approbation, en s’appuyant sur le même plan provisoire de 2012. Étant donné le rejet antérieur du tracé de la rue par le ministère des Transports et de l’Infrastructure, l’agent d’aménagement a de nouveau refusé d’accorder son approbation au plan. [22] En juin 2017, la Commission d’appel a suspendu l’appel qu’Eastland avait interjeté devant elle jusqu’au règlement de la requête en révision qu’elle avait déposée devant la Cour du Banc de la Reine. D.
La requête en révision des décisions à la fois du ministère des Transports et de l’Infrastructure et de l’agent d’aménagement qu’Eastland a déposée devant la Cour du Banc de la Reine [23] Lors de l’audition de la requête en révision, le ministère des Transports et de l’Infrastructure et la Commission ont tous deux plaidé en faveur de son rejet. Ils ont soutenu qu’Eastland avait l’obligation d’exercer d’abord son droit d’appel à la Commission d’appel.
Le ministère des Transports et de l’Infrastructure a également fait valoir que la révision judiciaire n’était pas un recours possible puisque le Ministre n’avait pas pris de décision en application du par. 55(2) et qu’aucune décision n’était donc susceptible de révision. Le paragraphe 55(2) traite de l’assentiment du Ministre aux plans de lotissement, pas aux plans provisoires (disposition maintenant énoncée à l’ art. 87 de la Loi ). [24] Même si l’on ne s’attendait nullement à ce que le ministère des Transports et de l’Infrastructure soit
partie à l’instance devant la Commission d’appel, ou à ce que la Commission d’appel puisse accorder une mesure réparatoire à l’encontre du ministère, la juge saisie de la requête a conclu qu’Eastland devait d’abord exercer le droit que lui confère la loi d’interjeter appel de la décision de l’agent d’aménagement. Elle a suspendu la requête d’Eastland (ainsi que son action), en attendant le règlement de son appel à la Commission d’appel. E.
L’appel de la décision de l’agent d’aménagement qu’Eastland a interjeté à la Commission d’appel [25] Le moyen invoqué à l’appui de l’appel qu’a interjeté Eastland de la décision de refuser l’approbation de son plan provisoire était que l’agent d’aménagement avait appliqué la Loi de façon erronée ( al. 120(1) d)). Dans sa réponse, la Commission a demandé à la Commission d’appel de confirmer que l’agent n’avait pas appliqué la Loi de façon erronée.
[26] À
titre préjudiciel, Eastland a fait valoir devant la Commission d’appel que celle-ci n’avait pas compétence pour entendre son appel puisque la décision de rejeter son plan provisoire était en fait une décision du ministère des Transports et de l’Infrastructure et que la Commission d’appel n’avait pas le pouvoir de réviser cette décision.
Eastland a souligné que si la Commission d’appel reconnaissait qu’elle n’avait pas le pouvoir de réviser la décision du ministère, elle retournerait devant la Cour du Banc de la Reine afin que celle-ci tranche sa requête en révision des décisions à la fois du ministère des Transports et de l’Infrastructure et de l’agent d’aménagement. [27] La Commission d’appel a reconnu qu’elle ne pouvait pas rendre une décision qui obligerait le ministère des Transports et de l’Infrastructure.
Pour ce motif, la Commission d’appel a déclaré qu’elle n’avait pas à examiner la prétention d’Eastland selon laquelle elle avait satisfait aux exigences du ministère des Transports et de l’Infrastructure concernant la rue proposée non plus que les nombreux éléments de preuve technique se rapportant à cette question.
S’agissant de la décision de l’agent d’aménagement, la Commission d’appel a conclu que celui-ci n’avait pas appliqué la Loi de façon erronée en refusant d’approuver le plan d’Eastland. [28] Toutefois, la Commission d’appel a conclu qu’elle ne devait ni rejeter l’appel ni ordonner à l’agent d’aménagement d’approuver le plan provisoire d’Eastland, ainsi que le prévoit le par. 121(4).
La Commission d’appel a estimé que ni l’une ni l’autre de ces possibilités n’aiderait les parties à en arriver à une solution susceptible de répondre aux exigences du ministère des Transports et de l’Infrastructure concernant la rue, puisque le ministère n’était pas
partie à l’appel et ne serait pas lié par la décision de la Commission d’appel. Elle a dit ce qui suit : [TRADUCTION] Bien que la Commission d’appel soit d’avis que, dans les circonstances du présent appel, l’agent d’aménagement n’a pas appliqué la Loi d’une façon erronée, elle est d’avis qu’ une décision de cette nature n’aiderait ni [Eastland] ni la [Commission] à résoudre les divergences d’opinion sur différentes questions d’ordre technique, en raison du fait que le ministère des Transports et de l’Infrastructure n’est pas
partie au présent appel .
De même, la Commission d’appel a choisi de ne pas ordonner à l’agent d’aménagement d’approuver la demande de renouvellement de l’approbation du plan provisoire pour la même raison. [C’est moi qui souligne.] [29] La Commission d’appel a plutôt décidé de renvoyer l’affaire à l’agent d’aménagement, en accompagnant le renvoi de directives qui, comme je l’expliquerai plus amplement ci-dessous, sont destinées, à mon avis, au ministère des Transports et de l’Infrastructure et reflètent la recommandation de la Commission d’appel selon laquelle le ministère devrait adopter la pratique établie qui consiste à approuver à nouveau les plans provisoires précédemment approuvés, sauf s’il y a eu une modification à ses normes de construction des chemins, et les parties devraient négocier une solution relativement aux exigences du ministère pour l’approbation de la rue.
On peut lire ce qui suit dans la décision de la Commission d’appel datée du 6 mai 2019 : [TRADUCTION] 1. La question du renouvellement de l’approbation du plan provisoire […] est renvoyée à l’agent d’aménagement en vue de son réexamen conformément aux dispositions de la Loi et du règlement de lotissement applicable [...]. 2. La [Commission] devra présenter la demande de renouvellement de l’approbation du plan provisoire accompagnée des recommandations suivantes : (
a) Nous recommandons que la pratique établie d’approuver à nouveau un plan provisoire une fois que ce dernier a été approuvé soit acceptée comme pratique courante, sauf s’il y a eu des modifications aux normes de construction . Cette cohérence est essentielle aux promoteurs et aux agents d’aménagement. Plus précisément, les promoteurs doivent avoir l’assurance ferme de pouvoir s’appuyer sur leurs plans provisoires approuvés lorsqu’ils passent d’une phase à l’autre; (
b) Les parties devraient tout mettre en œuvre pour résoudre les quatre problèmes qui ont été soulevés dans la lettre de Norm Côté datée du 3 septembre 2015 et les parties devraient recourir à toute l’expertise disponible pour résoudre ces problèmes le plus tôt possible. [C’est moi qui souligne.] [30] Afin, semble-t-il, de venir davantage en aide aux parties, la Commission d’appel a dit qu’elle conservait la compétence de trancher quelque question que ce soit ou de donner des directives par suite de son ordonnance.
F. Le réexamen effectué par l’agent d’aménagement après la décision de la Commission d’appel [31] Par suite de l’ordonnance de la Commission d’appel, l’agent d’aménagement a fait parvenir une copie de la décision de la Commission d’appel au ministère des Transports et de l’Infrastructure, accompagnée d’une demande le priant de [TRADUCTION] « réévaluer » le plan provisoire d’Eastland.
Le ministère, dans sa réponse du 27 mai 2019, n’a pas évoqué la teneur du plan non plus que sa position, mais a plutôt posé à l’agent d’aménagement un certain nombre de questions qui visaient, apparemment, à mieux cerner le sens ou l’effet de l’ordonnance de la Commission d’appel. Étant donné que l’agent d’aménagement a cru comprendre que le ministère des Transports et de l’Infrastructure n’allait pas [TRADUCTION] « réévaluer » le plan provisoire, et encore moins modifier sa position antérieure, il a informé Eastland, le 27 juin 2019, qu’il [TRADUCTION] « [devait] une fois encore refuser d’approuver le plan ».
Il a également suggéré à Eastland de communiquer avec le ministère des Transports et de l’Infrastructure si elle voulait obtenir des éclaircissements sur la position de ce dernier. G. La requête en révision de la décision de la Commission d’appel déposée par la Commission [32]
Malgré le fait que l’agent d’aménagement avait essentiellement agi en conformité avec l’ordonnance de la Commission d’appel et réexaminé le plan, la Commission a, le 31 juillet 2019, déposé devant la Cour du Banc de la Reine une requête en révision de la décision de la Commission d’appel. [33] Dans une décision rendue en août 2020, la juge saisie de la requête a conclu qu’il était [TRADUCTION] « inutile et déraisonnable de […] renvoyer l’affaire » à l’agent d’aménagement et elle a annulé cette
partie de la décision de la Commission d’appel. Dans ses courts motifs de décision, la juge a pris en considération les circonstances de l’affaire, à savoir notamment que le ministère des Transports et de l’Infrastructure avait le pouvoir d’exiger la conformité avec les normes de construction des chemins et que l’agent d’aménagement [TRADUCTION] « “n’a pas mal appliqué” la Loi dans sa décision de ne pas approuver le plan provisoire ». III.
Les questions à trancher en appel [34] Eastland affirme que la juge saisie de la requête a commis une erreur en décidant que la décision de la Commission d’appel était déraisonnable, puisqu’elle : 1) a mal interprété la décision de la Commission d’appel, du fait qu’elle a à tort estimé que cette décision obligeait effectivement l’agent d’aménagement à approuver le plan provisoire d’Eastland; 2) n’a pas pris en compte l’absence de changements réglementaires susceptibles de justifier le refus d’approuver à nouveau un plan provisoire précédemment approuvé; 3) n’a pas pris en compte le pouvoir que la loi confère à la Commission d’appel de renvoyer l’affaire en accompagnant le renvoi de directives; 4) n’a pas convenablement appliqué la norme de la décision raisonnable au contrôle de la décision de la Commission d’appel.
IV. La norme de contrôle [35] Les parties s’entendent pour reconnaître que c’est à bon droit que la juge saisie de la requête a appliqué la norme de la décision raisonnable au contrôle de la décision de la Commission d’appel. J’en conviens aussi. La question est de savoir si elle a appliqué cette norme correctement. Comme l’a expliqué le juge Drapeau, juge en chef du Nouveau-Brunswick (tel était alors son titre), dans l’arrêt S a Majesté la Reine du chef du Nouveau-Brunswick, représentée par le ministre de l’Éducation c .
Kennedy et autres , 2015 NBCA 58 , [2015] A.N.-B. n o 251 (QL) : Lorsqu’une décision en matière de contrôle judiciaire d’une mesure administrative est portée en appel, la juridiction d’appel doit décider
si le juge saisi de la requête a employé la norme de contrôle appropriée et s’il l’a appliquée correctement : Agraira , au par. 45. Lorsqu’elle vérifie si cette norme a été appliquée correctement, la juridiction d’appel se met à la place du juge saisi de la requête : Merck Frosst Canada Ltée c. Canada (Santé) , 2012 CSC 3 , [2012] 1 R.C.S. 23 , au par. 247 . [par. 81] (Voir aussi les arrêts Syndicat canadien de la fonction publique,
section locale 60 c. Ville d’Edmundston , 2016 NBCA 3 , 445 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 180 , par. 11 ; O’Connell, en sa qualité de registraire des véhicules à moteur de la province du Nouveau-Brunswick c. Maxwell , 2016 NBCA 37 , 451 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 283 , par. 21 ; et Ayangma c. Université de Moncton, Campus de Moncton et autre , 2019 NBCA 73 , [2019] A.N.-B. n o 292 (QL) , par. 14 .) V. Analyse A.
La juge saisie de la requête a-t-elle mal interprété la décision de la Commission d’appel ? [36] Eastland prétend que la juge saisie de la requête a mal interprété la décision de la Commission d’appel en jugeant que celle-ci obligeait effectivement l’agent d’aménagement à approuver son plan provisoire.
Ce n’est pas ainsi que j’interprète la décision de la Commission d’appel et je ne souscris pas non plus à la prétention voulant que la décision de la juge ait découlé d’une interprétation de cette nature. [37] Bien que la juge ait dit que l’ordonnance de la Commission d’appel [TRADUCTION] « dit presque » à l’agent d’aménagement comment trancher la question, elle a reconnu que la Commission d’appel n’est pas allée aussi loin.
Elle a fait observer, à bon droit, que [TRADUCTION] « [n]i la Commission d’appel ni notre Cour ne peut ordonner à un fonctionnaire d’exercer d’une manière particulière un pouvoir discrétionnaire que lui confère la loi », et a invoqué des précédents à l’appui de cet énoncé où il y avait eu recours à une ordonnance de mandamus . Je ne suis pas d’accord pour conclure que cela indique qu’elle a interprété la décision de la Commission d’appel d’une façon erronée.
Ce sont là des remarques incidentes et ce ne sont pas ces remarques qui fondent sa conclusion selon laquelle la décision de la Commission d’appel était déraisonnable. [38] Toutefois, ce moyen d’appel met en lumière certaines allégations et opinions divergentes concernant l’ordonnance de la Commission d’appel. Je ne partage pas ce qui semble être l’impression de la juge selon laquelle les [TRADUCTION] « recommandations » de la Commission d’appel étaient destinées à l’agent d’aménagement.
De même, je ne souscris pas à la prétention de la Commission selon laquelle l’ordonnance de la Commission d’appel met l’agent d’aménagement dans une [TRADUCTION] « position intenable » en ce sens que soit elle l’oblige à réexaminer le plan d’Eastland à la lumière de la [TRADUCTION] « pratique établie d’approuver à nouveau un plan provisoire une fois que ce dernier a été approuvé », soit elle entend l’amener à approuver le plan rejeté, sans tenir compte de la position du ministère des Transports et de l’Infrastructure. Ce n’est pas là la seule interprétation proposée par la Commission.
Sa demande initiale exprimait une interprétation différente de l’ordonnance de la Commission d’appel. Elle y prétendait que la Commission d’appel avait effectivement tenté de forcer la main au ministère des Transports et de l’Infrastructure tout en conservant la compétence de trancher certaines questions qui sont [TRADUCTION] « probablement exclues du champ d’application de la Loi ».
Je souscris dans l’ensemble à cette description des directives de la Commission d’appel et j’estime que les actes qu’a accomplis l’agent d’aménagement à la suite de l’ordonnance de la Commission d’appel sont conformes aux directives de la Commission d’appel.
On se rappellera, comme je l’ai souligné ci-dessus, que l’agent d’aménagement a donné suite à l’ordonnance de la Commission d’appel en mai et juin 2019, avant le dépôt de la requête en révision, en demandant au ministère des Transports et de l’Infrastructure de réexaminer le plan précédemment rejeté en conformité avec l’ordonnance de la Commission d’appel et, comme rien n’indiquait que le ministère modifierait sa position, l’agent a informé Eastland qu’il ne pouvait pas approuver le plan. [39] J’estime que ce que la Commission d’appel a cherché à faire ressort clairement de son ordonnance.
Au premier des deux paragraphes que compte l’ordonnance, la Commission d’appel renvoie l’affaire à l’agent d’aménagement en vue de son réexamen. Au deuxième paragraphe, elle enjoint à la Commission de présenter la demande accompagnée de recommandations précises. Selon mon interprétation, cette
partie de l’ordonnance de la Commission d’appel est destinée au ministère des Transports et de l’Infrastructure. [40] Même si cela ne ressortait pas clairement de l’ordonnance seule, les motifs de décision de la Commission d’appel indiquent que ses recommandations sont destinées au ministère des Transports et de l’Infrastructure, qui n’est pas
partie à l’appel, dont la Commission d’appel a dit qu’il était [TRADUCTION] « l’éléphant dans la pièce » et dont la décision a amené l’agent d’aménagement à ne pas approuver le plan à nouveau. La Commission d’appel a reconnu que l’agent d’aménagement aurait approuvé ou approuvé à nouveau le plan d’Eastland n’eût été la position du ministère des Transports et de l’Infrastructure. La Commission d’appel a voulu venir en aide aux parties en essayant d’apporter une solution au seul obstacle à l’approbation du plan d’Eastland, c’est-à-dire l’objection du ministère au tracé de la rue projetée.
Cette tentative reposait sur la perspective ou l’espoir que sa recommandation, savoir que [TRADUCTION] « la pratique établie d’approuver à nouveau un plan provisoire une fois que ce dernier a été approuvé soit acceptée
comme pratique courante , sauf s’il y a eu des modifications aux normes de construction » (c’est moi qui souligne), puisse avoir un certain poids auprès du ministère. Toutefois, comme la Commission d’appel l’a d’emblée reconnu, elle n’avait aucun pouvoir sur le ministère, y compris celui de l’obliger. De plus, il ne saurait faire aucun doute que l’ordonnance de la Commission d’appel concernant les modifications aux [TRADUCTION] « normes de construction » est une référence spécifique aux normes de construction des chemins du ministère des Transports et de l’Infrastructure, lesquelles faisaient
partie du dossier déposé devant la Commission d’appel. Facteur qui est également compatible avec le fait que c’est le ministère qui est l’objet des recommandations de la Commission d’appel, cette dernière a précisé que la cohérence de la part du ministère [TRADUCTION] « est essentielle aux promoteurs et aux agents d’aménagement ». La Commission d’appel a également recommandé, à
titre subsidiaire il me semble, que les [TRADUCTION] « parties » négocient une solution aux problèmes évoqués dans la lettre du ministère datée de septembre 2015. Bien que le ministère des Transports et de l’Infrastructure ne fût pas «
partie » à l’instance devant la Commission d’appel, il est évident que la Commission d’appel l’a incluse dans le groupe qu’elle encourageait à négocier une solution . [41] Finalement, bien que l’on ait en quelque sorte laissé ente