2023 NBCA 101, 2023 NBCA 101
Opinion
NORTONDALE FARM LTD. APPELLANT NORTONDALE FARM LTD. APPELANTE - and - - et - JEAN CHESTNUT RESPONDENT JEAN CHESTNUT INTIMÉE Nortondale Farm Ltd. v. Chestnut, 2023 NBCA 101 Nortondale Farm Ltd. c.
Chestnut, 2023 NBCA 101 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Drapeau The Honourable Justice French The Honourable Justice LeBlanc CORAM : l’honorable juge Drapeau l’honorable juge French l’honorable juge LeBlanc Appeal from a decision of the Court of King’s Bench: March 2, 2023 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc du Roi : le 2 mars 2023 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: 2023 NBKB 36 Décision frappée d’appel : 2023 NBBR 36 Preliminary or incidental proceedings: None Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : Aucune Appeal heard: October 18, 2023 Appel entendu : le 18 octobre 2023 Judgment rendered: November 23, 2023 Jugement rendu : le 23 novembre 2023 COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 19-23-CA
Counsel at hearing: For the Appellant: Michel J. Boudreau For the respondent: Rodney J. Gillis, K.C. Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appelant : Michel J. Boudreau Pour l’intimée : Rodney J. Gillis, c.r. THE COURT The appeal is dismissed, with costs of $2,500. LA COUR L’appel est rejeté, avec dépens de 2 500 $. The following is the judgment delivered by THE COURT I.
Introduction [ 1 ] Nortondale Farm Ltd. appeals a decision under Rule 79 of the Rules of Court (“Simplified Proceedings”) awarding the respondent, Jean Chestnut, damages of $50,000 for breach of a verbal agreement to pay that sum in exchange for the transfer of a property in 2009. The central issue at trial was whether Mrs. Chestnut’s transfer of the property was gratuitous, subject to a resulting trust, or for consideration to be subsequently provided. The judge determined Mrs.
Chestnut conveyed the property based on a verbal agreement with Nortondale, that it would pay her $50,000. [ 2 ] We dismiss the appeal for the following reasons. II. Background A. The conveyance of the property [ 3 ] Mrs. Chestnut, Larry McConchie and Kenneth McConchie are siblings and the offspring of the now-deceased Ethel McConchie and Lavern McConchie. Ethel McConchie passed away on February 24, 2009, her husband having predeceased her. In her last will and testament, Mrs. McConchie bequeathed t he family farm to her sons, Larry and Kenneth. However, her residence was left to Mrs.
Chestnut, with a proviso that Kenneth and Larry have a right-of-way over the residence’s driveway to access the farm. [ 4 ] In April 2009, the Estate of Ethel McConchie and Mrs. Chestnut, in her own right, signed a deed transferring the residence property to Nortondale. By then Nortondale owned the farm to the rear. Mrs. Chestnut received no monetary consideration from Nortondale for the residence property. Mrs. Chestnut believed Kenneth was Nortondale’s only shareholder, and she testified at trial Kenneth promised Nortondale would pay her $50,000 for the residence property as soon as it could.
[ 5 ] Kenneth passed away in February 2020. At that time, neither he nor Nortondale had compensated Mrs. Chestnut for the transfer of the residence property. On March 22, 2021, Mrs. Chestnut wrote Mary McConchie (Kenneth’s widow) to demand payment of the residence’s assessed value ($98,900), or that the property be returned to her. Mrs. McConchie’s legal counsel responded by stating that in 2014, the residence property was transferred to both her and Kenneth, and later, transferred to their son. In counsel’s response, there is no acknowledgement of Nortondale’s intention to compensate Mrs.
Chestnut for the transfer. B. The trial and decision [ 6 ] In June 2021, Mrs. Chestnut initiated legal action against Nortondale under Rule 79, claiming, inter alia , the maximum available under the Rule ($75,000) as damages for breach of the verbal agreement. Nortondale denied Mrs. Chestnut’s entitlement to any relief. The dispute was the subject of a one-day trial during which, in accordance with Rule 79, the evidence was provided mainly through affidavits. Affidavits were submitted by Mrs.
Chestnut and her spouse (Bill Chestnut), Larry McConchie and his spouse (Carol McConchie), and Mary McConchie, Kenneth McConchie’s widow. [ 7 ] Mrs. Chestnut’s evidence on cross-examination was that while still mourning her mother’s passing, she executed a deed conveying the residence property to Nortondale to provide a right-of-way to the farm property located behind the residence. In her affidavit, she emphasized several points: (
i) at the time of transfer, the residence property’s assessed value was $98,900; (ii) she did not intend to donate the property to Nortondale; (iii) she never held shares or other interest in Nortondale, and her brother Kenneth had led her to believe he was its sole owner; (iv) Kenneth, on multiple occasions, confirmed the residence property wasn’t a gift, assuring her of payment once sufficient funds were available; and (
v) her intent was for the residence property to be held in trust for right-of-way purposes and to be returned to her in due course. [ 8 ] In April 2009, a meeting took place between Larry and Carol McConchie, Kenneth and Mary McConchie, and Mr. and Mrs. Chestnut. Accounts of what transpired during that meeting diverged. Affidavits from Larry, Carol and Mary McConchie stated they could not recall any conversation regarding payment due to Mrs.
Chestnut or any agreement indicating the residence property would be held in trust. [ 9 ] In his affidavit, Larry McConchie stated that between 2009 and 2020, he “never discussed with Kenneth any payment owed to [Mrs. Chestnut] for the transfer of the land.” Furthermore, he asserted there had been no discussions with Mrs. Chestnut suggesting the residence property was held in trust for her or that there were any obligations after the transfer.
He added he relinquished his shares in Nortondale “over two decades ago.” Mary McConchie’s affidavit noted that in 2014, the original house on the residence property was demolished and replaced with a new construction. Additionally, she indicated the residence property was no longer under Nortondale’s ownership as it had been passed on to their son. As for Mr. Chestnut, his affidavit affirmed he was familiar with the facts set out in his wife’s affidavit.
He added he was present during multiple conversations between his wife and her brother Kenneth regarding payment for the residence property conveyed to Nortondale. [ 10 ] In his reasons for judgment, the judge identified the central issue as whether Mrs. Chestnut’s transfer of the residence property to Nortondale was meant as a gift or whether it was intended to be a transfer in trust or a transaction involving the payment of financial consideration in the future. Based on a statutory declaration accompanying the deed to the residence property, which Mrs.
Chestnut readily admitted signing, the judge ruled the presumption of a resulting trust was rebutted. Consequently, the onus fell upon Mrs. Chestnut to establish the transfer was based on the verbal agreement for payment of consideration she contended had been reached. [ 11 ] In his reasons, the judge observed that, since the purported verbal agreement was between Kenneth McConchie, representing Nortondale, and Mrs.
Chestnut, the absence of Larry’s recollection, given that he held no shares in Nortondale at the time, carried little if any weight; he also found the same reasoning applied to Carol McConchie’s evidence. The judge concluded that Mary McConchie, as Kenneth’s wife, was more likely than Larry or Carol to have been aware of any verbal agreement. However, her lack of knowledge wasn’t determinative in and of itself. Essentially, her evidence only confirmed her lack of awareness of the alleged verbal agreement. [ 12 ] Ultimately, the litigation’s outcome hinged upon Mrs. Chestnut’s credibility.
In his reasons, the judge wrote: […] I find that Mrs. Chestnut’s evidence, although self-serving, is credible. I was particularly struck by her lack of hesitation and candor when I asked her how much the defendant had agreed to pay for the land. Even though her claim was for $75,000.00, the maximum
under Rule 79, she made no attempt to try to fit her evidence about the agreement into that pleading. Rather, she answered the question spontaneously and gave me the impression that she was telling the truth as she knew it, even though her answer was contrary to her own self-interest. Her evidence is also consistent with the maxim that equity presumes bargains, not gifts. There is nothing whatever on the record before the Court in this case that would explain why Mrs.
Chestnut would have made a gift of her inheritance to a company in which she had no ownership interest, particularly given that her brothers had already received their share of their mother’s property as noted by her in her will. [paras. 30 and 31] [ 13 ] The judge also rejected Nortondale’s contention that Mrs. Chestnut’s claim was barred by s. 5 of the Limitation of Actions Act , S.N.B. 2009, c. L-8.5 . In the result, the judge awarded damages of $50,000 for breach of the verbal agreement to pay that sum. III.
The Grounds of Appeal [ 14 ] Nortondale submits the judge committed several errors of mixed law and fact, more particularly:
i) in finding there was a binding legal agreement between Nortondale and Mrs. Chestnut; ii) in accepting “unreliable” hearsay evidence to conclude there was a binding legal agreement between Nortondale and Mrs. Chestnut; and iii) in finding Mrs. Chestnut’s action was commenced before the expiration of the applicable limitation period under the Limitation of Actions Act . IV. Analysis A. The verbal agreement – credibility and hearsay [ 15 ] Nortondale submits the trial judge’s findings regarding the existence of the verbal agreement are “not particularly fleshed out” and that the judge “appears to have made a
summary ruling” based mainly upon Mrs. Chestnut’s “lack of hesitation and candor”. Nortondale also contends the judge made several findings of fact which he ignored or glossed over in his conclusion as to the existence of a verbal agreement. [ 16 ] It is settled appellate law that deference must be afforded to the trial judge’s credibility findings. The reasons given by the trial judge for those findings, and other findings of fact, are not to be viewed on a stand-alone, self-contained basis.
Rather, they must be considered and assessed in the light provided by the record, the issues raised by the parties and the submissions of counsel at trial. It is generally accepted that reasons are legally sufficient when they: (
i) communicate to the parties the basis for the result; (ii) provide public accountability; and (iii) permit effective appellate review. Appellate courts do not measure reasons for decision at trial against a standard of perfection. [ 17 ] The trial judge outlined his reasons for giving limited credence to the evidence of Larry, Carol and Mary McConchie (at paras. 23 and 24). He emphasized the core issue was the credibility of Mrs. Chestnut, and he explained why he accepted Mrs. Chestnut’s evidence (at paras. 25 to 32).
[ 18 ] Regarding the hearsay concern, Mrs. Chestnut was a party to the discussions with her brother Kenneth regarding the verbal agreement. Furthermore, her husband’s evidence was that he was present during multiple discussions between his wife and her brother regarding payment for the residence property. At trial, Nortondale did not raise an objection to evidence that might arguably be inadmissible hearsay in the Chestnuts’ affidavits or in Mrs. Chestnut’s oral evidence. It is too late to raise any such objection.
The judge acknowledged the agreement-confirming evidence by the Chestnuts was self-serving and cautioned himself to account for the potential bias in weighing their evidence. Ultimately, the judge determined that, although self-serving, Mrs. Chestnut’s evidence was credible. [ 19 ] In our view, Nortondale’s submissions grounded on errors regarding credibility, sufficiency of reasons and hearsay must fail. B. Limitation of Actions Act [ 20 ] As noted, the verbal agreement between the parties was reached in 2009, and Mrs. Chestnut commenced proceedings in June 2021.
The judge determined she ought reasonably to have known of her loss upon receipt of the March 22, 2021 letter from Mary McConchie’s legal counsel. Based on that finding, the judge concluded Mrs. Chestnut commenced proceedings within the two-year limitation period set out in s. 5(1) (
a) of the Limitation of Actions Act . Additionally, given the agreement took place in 2009 and the action was initiated 12 years later, in 2021, the judge found the ultimate fifteen-year limitation period in s. 5(1)(
b) of the Act was not applicable. We find no error in the judge’s findings and legal conclusions. [ 21 ] It follows the ground of appeal based on the Limitation of Actions Act is without merit. IV. Conclusion and Disposition [ 22 ] There is no principled basis for intervention with respect to the trial judge’s findings of fact and mixed fact and law. That is likewise the case for his legal conclusions. [ 23 ] Accordingly, the appeal is dismissed, with costs of $2,500.00. Version française de la décision rendue par LA COUR I.
Introduction [1] Nortondale Farm Ltd. appelle d’une décision rendue sous le régime de la règle 79 des Règles de procédure (Procédure simplifiée). La décision accorde à l’intimée, Jean Chestnut, des dommages-intérêts de 50 000 $ pour la violation d’une entente verbale qui prévoyait que ce montant lui serait payé en retour d’un bien transféré en 2009. Il fallait déterminer principalement, au procès, si M me Chestnut avait transféré le bien à
titre gratuit, sous réserve de fiducie résultoire, ou en retour d’une contrepartie à fournir ultérieurement. Le juge a conclu que M me Chestnut avait transféré le bien sur la foi d’une entente verbale prévoyant que Nortondale lui verserait 50 000 $. [2] Nous rejetons l’appel pour les motifs qui suivent.
II. Contexte A. Le transfert du bien [3] Jean Chestnut, Larry McConchie et Kenneth McConchie sont la fille et les fils de feue Ethel McConchie et de feu Lavern McConchie. Ethel McConchie est décédée le 24 février 2009, son époux lui ayant prédécédé. Dans son testament, M me McConchie a légué la ferme familiale à ses fils, Larry et Kenneth. Elle a toutefois laissé à M me Chestnut sa résidence, à la condition que Larry et Kenneth jouissent d’un droit de passage qui leur permettrait d’emprunter la voie d’accès du bien résidentiel pour accéder à la ferme. [4] En avril 2009, un acte transférant le bien résidentiel à Nortondale a été signé par la succession d’Ethel McConchie et par M me Chestnut à
titre personnel. À l’époque, Nortondale était propriétaire de la ferme située à l’arrière du bien. M me Chestnut n’a pas reçu de contrepartie pécuniaire, de la part de Nortondale, pour le bien résidentiel. Elle croyait que Kenneth était l’unique actionnaire de Nortondale et a témoigné au procès qu’il avait promis que Nortondale lui verserait 50 000 $, dès qu’elle le pourrait, pour paiement du bien résidentiel. [5] Kenneth McConchie est décédé en février 2020. Au moment de son décès, ni lui ni Nortondale n’avaient remis de paiement à M me Chestnut pour le bien résidentiel transféré.
Le 22 mars 2021, M me Chestnut a écrit à Mary McConchie (veuve de Kenneth) pour demander qu’elle lui verse la valeur de la résidence (98 900 $) ou que le bien lui soit rendu. L’avocate de M me McConchie a répondu qu’en 2014, le bien résidentiel avait été transféré à sa cliente et à Kenneth, et qu’il avait ensuite été transféré à leur fils. La lettre de l’avocate ne reconnaît nulle intention de Nortondale de payer M me Chestnut pour le bien transféré. B. Le procès et la décision [6] En juin 2021, M me Chestnut a engagé une action en justice contre Nortondale sous le régime de la règle 79.
Elle demandait notamment la somme de 75 000 $, le maximum autorisé par la règle, à
titre de dommages-intérêts pour la violation de l’entente verbale. Nortondale a nié le droit de M me Chestnut à une réparation. Le litige a donné lieu à un procès d’une journée où la preuve a été présentée, suivant la règle 79, surtout par affidavit.
Des affidavits ont été produits par M me Chestnut et par son époux (Bill Chestnut), par Larry McConchie et par son épouse (Carol McConchie), ainsi que par Mary McConchie, veuve de Kenneth McConchie. [7] Lors de son contre-interrogatoire, M me Chestnut a témoigné qu’elle vivait toujours le deuil de sa mère lorsqu’elle avait passé un acte formaliste qui transférait le bien résidentiel à Nortondale pour accorder un droit de passage donnant accès aux biens agricoles situés derrière la résidence. Dans son affidavit, elle insiste sur plusieurs points : (
i) au moment du transfert, la valeur du bien résidentiel était de 98 900 $; (ii) elle n’avait pas l’intention de faire don du bien à Nortondale; (iii) elle n’a jamais eu d’actions ni d’autre intérêt dans Nortondale, et son frère Kenneth l’avait amenée à croire qu’il en était l’unique propriétaire; (iv) Kenneth a confirmé à de multiples reprises que le bien résidentiel n’était pas un don et l’a assurée d’un paiement qui serait versé une fois que les fonds le permettraient; (
v) son intention était de transférer le bien résidentiel de façon qu’il soit détenu en fiducie pour l’utilisation du droit de passage et lui soit rendu en temps opportun. [8] En avril 2009, Larry et Carol McConchie, Kenneth et Mary McConchie et M. et M me Chestnut se sont rencontrés. Les récits divergent sur ce qui s’est dit lors de cette rencontre.
Dans leurs affidavits, Larry, Carol et Mary McConchie affirment ne pas avoir souvenir de conversations où il aurait été question d’un paiement dû à M me Chestnut ou d’une entente voulant que le bien résidentiel soit détenu en fiducie. [9] Dans son affidavit, Larry McConchie déclare que, entre 2009 et 2020, il n’a [TRADUCTION] « jamais discuté avec Kenneth d’un paiement à faire à [M me Chestnut] pour le transfert du terrain ».
Il affirme également n’avoir eu avec M me Chestnut aucune discussion qui l’ait porté à croire que le bien résidentiel était détenu en fiducie pour son compte ou que des obligations subsistaient à la suite du transfert. Il ajoute qu’il s’est départi de ses actions de Nortondale [TRADUCTION] « il y a plus de deux décennies ». Mary McConchie mentionne dans son affidavit que, en 2014, la maison qui était située sur le bien résidentiel à l’origine a été démolie et remplacée par une construction neuve. Elle ajoute que le bien résidentiel n’appartient plus à Nortondale, puisqu’il a été transmis à leur fils. Quant à M.
Chestnut, il déclare dans son affidavit que les faits énoncés dans l’affidavit de son épouse lui sont bien connus. Il ajoute qu’il a assisté à de multiples conversations entre le frère de son épouse, Kenneth, et celle-ci au sujet du paiement à verser en retour du bien résidentiel transféré à Nortondale.
[10] Le juge a indiqué dans ses motifs qu’il lui fallait déterminer essentiellement si le transfert par M me Chestnut du bien résidentiel à Nortondale se voulait un don ou si M me Chestnut avait eu l’intention de réaliser un transfert en fiducie ou une opération supposant le versement d’une contrepartie financière à l’avenir. Vu la déclaration solennelle qui accompagnait l’acte de transfert du bien résidentiel et que M me Chestnut a admis d’emblée avoir signée, le juge a conclu que la présomption de fiducie résultoire était réfutée.
Il incombait à M me Chestnut, par conséquent, d’établir que le transfert résultait de l’entente verbale qui, disait-elle, avait été conclue et prévoyait le paiement d’une contrepartie. [11] Dans ses motifs, le juge a en outre fait remarquer que, puisque les parties à l’entente verbale invoquée étaient Kenneth McConchie, qui représentait Nortondale, et M me Chestnut, il importait peu ou pas que Larry McConchie n’eût aucun souvenir, puisqu’il ne détenait plus d’actions de Nortondale à l’époque. Le juge a ajouté que le même raisonnement valait pour la preuve apportée par Carol McConchie.
Il a conclu qu’il était plus probable que Mary McConchie, épouse de Kenneth, aurait eu connaissance d’une entente verbale que Larry ou Carol. Cependant, il n’était pas déterminant, en soi, qu’elle n’en eût pas connaissance. En gros, la preuve venue de Mary McConchie confirmait simplement qu’elle n’était pas au fait de l’entente verbale invoquée. [12] L’issue du litige devait ainsi dépendre, en définitive, de la crédibilité de M me Chestnut. Le juge a écrit ce qui suit : [TRADUCTION] […] [J]e conclus que, bien qu’elle soit intéressée, la preuve de M me Chestnut est crédible.
J’ai été particulièrement frappé par son absence d’hésitation et sa franchise lorsque je lui ai demandé quel montant la défenderesse avait convenu de payer pour le terrain. Même si elle demandait 75 000 $, le maximum prévu à la règle 79, M me Chestnut n’a pas tenté d’adapter son témoignage relatif à l’entente dans la plaidoirie. Elle a plutôt répondu spontanément, ce qui m’a donné l’impression qu’elle disait la vérité comme elle la connaissait même si sa réponse allait à l’encontre de ses intérêts.
Qui plus est, son témoignage est conforme au principe selon lequel l’equity présume l’existence d’un marché, et non d’une donation. Le dossier dont je dispose ne contient aucun élément qui expliquerait pourquoi M me Chestnut aurait fait don de son héritage à une entreprise dans laquelle elle ne détenait aucun intérêt propriétal, d’autant plus que ses frères avaient déjà reçu leur part des biens de leur mère, tel qu’il appert de son testament. [par. 30 et 31] [13] Le juge a rejeté, enfin, l’argument de Nortondale voulant que la demande de M me Chestnut ait été prescrite par application de l’ art. 5 de la
Loi sur la prescription , L.N.-B. 2009, ch. L-8.5. Il a adjugé à M me Chestnut des dommages-intérêts de 50 000 $ pour violation de l’entente verbale qui prévoyait le paiement de cette somme. III. Les moyens d’appel [14] Nortondale avance que le juge a commis plusieurs erreurs mixtes de droit et de fait, plus particulièrement :
i) lorsqu’il a conclu qu’une entente juridique obligatoire existait entre Nortondale et M me Chestnut; ii) lorsqu’il s’est fondé sur une preuve par ouï-dire [TRADUCTION] « non fiable » pour conclure à l’existence d’une entente juridique obligatoire entre Nortondale et M me Chestnut; iii) lorsqu’il a conclu que l’action de M me Chestnut avait été introduite avant l’expiration du délai de prescription applicable sous le régime de la
Loi sur la prescription . IV. Analyse
A. L’entente verbale – crédibilité et ouï-dire [15] Nortondale soutient que les conclusions auxquelles le juge du procès est arrivé lorsqu’il s’est penché sur l’existence d’une entente verbale ne sont [TRADUCTION] « pas particulièrement détaillées » et que le juge [TRADUCTION] « paraît avoir rendu une décision
sommaire » fondée principalement sur l’[TRADUCTION] « absence d’hésitation et [la] franchise » de M me Chestnut. Nortondale ajoute qu’il a tiré plusieurs conclusions de fait sur lesquelles il n’est pas revenu ou sur lesquelles il a glissé rapidement dans sa conclusion voulant qu’il existât une entente verbale. [16] Il est acquis, dans le droit applicable en matière d’appel, que les conclusions d’un juge de première instance sur la crédibilité commandent la déférence.
Les motifs que le juge du procès a donnés pour ces conclusions, et pour diverses conclusions de fait, ne doivent pas être considérés isolément, comme formant un tout autonome. Au contraire, ils doivent être considérés et évalués à la lumière qu’apportent le dossier, les questions soulevées par les parties et les observations des avocats au procès. Il est admis d’une manière générale que les motifs seront suffisants en droit s’ils : (
i) communiquent aux parties le fondement de la décision; (ii) rendent compte devant le public; (iii) permettent un examen efficace en appel. Les tribunaux d’appel ne jugent pas des motifs d’une décision de première instance selon une norme de perfection. [17] Le juge du procès a exposé les motifs pour lesquels il ne reconnaissait guère de foi à la preuve apportée par Larry, Carol et Mary McConchie (par. 23 et 24).
Il a précisé que la question essentielle était celle de la crédibilité de M me Chestnut et a expliqué pourquoi il retenait la preuve qu’elle avait offerte (par. 25 à 32). [18] Quant à l’argument fondé sur le ouï-dire, les discussions sur l’entente verbale ont eu lieu entre M me Chestnut et son frère Kenneth. Le mari de M me Chestnut a en outre déclaré qu’il avait assisté à de multiples discussions entre elle et son frère au sujet du paiement du bien résidentiel.
Lors du procès, Nortondale n’a pas élevé d’objections aux passages des affidavits de M. et de M me Chestnut, ou du témoignage oral de M me Chestnut, qui sans doute pouvaient constituer de la preuve par ouï-dire inadmissible. Il est trop tard pour les élever. Le juge a constaté que la preuve d’une entente offerte par M. et M me Chestnut était intéressée et a souligné la nécessité de ne pas négliger, dans l’appréciation de cette preuve, le risque de partialité.
Il a conclu finalement que, encore qu’intéressée, la preuve de M me Chestnut était crédible. [19] Nous sommes d’avis que les moyens de Nortondale invoquant des erreurs au
chapitre de la crédibilité, de la suffisance des motifs et du ouï-dire doivent être rejetés. B.
Loi sur la prescription [20] Ainsi que nous l’avons vu, l’entente verbale des parties remonte à 2009 et M me Chestnut a introduit une instance en juin 2021. Le juge a décidé que M me Chestnut aurait dû normalement apprendre que sa perte était survenue lorsqu’elle a reçu la lettre du 22 mars 2021 de l’avocate de Mary McConchie. Sur le fondement de cette constatation, il a conclu que M me Chestnut avait introduit l’instance dans le délai de prescription de deux ans que prescrit l’ al. 5(1)
a) de la
Loi sur la prescription . En outre, le juge a conclu, étant donné que l’entente date de 2009 et que l’action a été engagée douze ans plus tard, en 2021, que le délai de prescription maximal de quinze ans prévu à l’al. 5(1)
b) de la Loi ne s’appliquait pas. Nous ne relevons aucune erreur dans les conclusions de fait et de droit tirées par le juge. [21] Il s’ensuit que le moyen d’appel reposant sur la
Loi sur la prescription est dénué de fondement. IV. Conclusion et dispositif [22] Il n’existe aucune raison de principe justifiant une intervention pour ce qui concerne les conclusions de fait et les conclusions mixtes de fait et de droit du juge du procès. Il en va de même pour ce qui concerne ses conclusions de droit. [23] Par conséquent, l’appel est rejeté, avec dépens de 2 500 $.