THE PROVINCE OF NEW BRUNSWICK APPELLANT ENTRE : LA PROVINCE DU NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK APPELANTE - v. -, 2023 NBCA 57
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 120-22-CA BETWEEN: THE PROVINCE OF NEW BRUNSWICK APPELLANT ENTRE : LA PROVINCE DU NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK APPELANTE - and - - et - FUNDY CONTRACTORS LIMITED RESPONDENT AND BETWEEN THE PROVINCE OF NEW BRUNSWICK APPELLANT - and – NANCY H. YOUNG and FUNDY CONTRACTORS LIMITED RESPONDENTS FUNDY CONTRACTORS LIMITED INTIMÉE ET ENTRE LA PROVINCE DU NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK APPELANTE - et - NANCY H. YOUNG et FUNDY CONTRACTORS LIMITED INTIMÉES The Province of New Brunswick v.
Fundy Contractors Limited and Young, 2023 NBCA 57 CORAM: The Honourable Justice LaVigne The Honourable Justice LeBlond The Honourable Justice LeBlanc La Province du Nouveau-Brunswick c. Fundy Contractors Limited et Young, 2023 NBCA 57 CORAM : l’honorable juge LaVigne l’honorable juge LeBlond l’honorable juge LeBlanc
Appeal from a decision of the Court of King’s Bench: November 3, 2022 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc du Roi : le 3 novembre 2022 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: 2022 NBKB 207 Décision frappée d’appel : 2022 NBBR 207 Preliminary or incidental proceedings: None Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : aucune Appeal heard: May 16, 2023 Appel entendu : le 16 mai 2023 Judgment rendered: July 27, 2023 Jugement rendu : le 27 juillet 2023 Reasons for judgment by: The Honourable Justice LaVigne Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice LeBlond The Honourable Justice LeBlanc Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: Brian A.
Barnett For the respondents: Thomas G. O’Neil, K.C. Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge LaVigne Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge LeBlond l’honorable juge LeBlanc Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appelante Brian A. Barnett Pour les intimées : Thomas G. O’Neil, c.r. THE COURT The appeal is dismissed. The trial judge deferred the issues of the owner’s time, costs, and interest to a subsequent hearing. At the request of counsel, the question of costs of this appeal is also deferred to a subsequent hearing. [ 1 ] LA COUR L’appel est rejeté.
Le juge du procès a reporté les questions afférentes au temps du propriétaire, aux dépens et aux intérêts à une audience ultérieure. À la demande des avocats, la question des dépens afférents au présent appel est aussi reportée à une audience ultérieure. The judgment of the Court was delivered by
LAVIGNE, J.A. I. Introduction and Overview [1] In 2008-2009, the Province of New Brunswick expropriated portions of three properties owned by Fundy Contractors Limited in Charlotte County, New Brunswick, for the construction of the Gateway Project, which involved building a four- lane highway from the Maine border at St. Stephen to Saint John. The expropriated properties, referred to as the Dexter Pit, the Hawkins Pit and the Pennfield Property, were all located in the Bethel area of Charlotte County. The Province took most of the Dexter Pit and portions of the other two properties.
Although the Province offered compensation to Fundy, the parties failed to reach an agreement on the full compensation payable under the Expropriation Act , R.S.N.B. 1973, c. E-14 ( Act ), and, as a result, Fundy invoked the jurisdiction of the Court of Queen’s Bench (as it was then called) to settle the dispute. The respondent, Nancy H. Young, has an interest in property of which Fundy is a trustee, but she took no
part in this litigation. [ 2 ] Fundy claimed compensation in the range of $3.1 million and, following an eleven-day trial, was awarded approximately $1.9 million. No fewer than nine expert witnesses were called. The trial judge determined that the compensation proposed by the Province did not account for the full scope of Fundy’s losses and awarded it compensation as follows: A. Dexter Pit 1. fair market value: $969,500 (subject to a credit for amounts already paid by the Province); 2. injurious affection: $1,400; 3. special economic loss: $345,000; and 4. special economic loss (relocation costs): $331,791.50 .
B. Hawkins Pit special economic loss: nil. C.
Pennfield Property injurious affection: $259,543. [ 3 ] The Province also offered the sum of $32,675 for the market value of the Hawkins Pit and the Pennfield Property, which compensation was not challenged by Fundy. [ 4 ] The Province appeals the judgment, alleging errors of law or mixed fact and law regarding two matters only: the damages of $345,000 awarded for special economic loss arising from the expropriation of the Dexter Pit and the damages of $259,543 awarded for injurious affection in relation to the Pennfield Property. [ 5 ] For the reasons that follow, I would dismiss the appeal. II.
Grounds of Appeal
[ 6 ] In its Notice of Appeal, the Province asserts the trial judge erred: 1. […] in law or mixed fact and law in finding that the Applicant Fundy Contractors Limited [was] entitled to damages of $345,000 and interest thereon for a business loss resulting from the expropriation of the Dexter Pit. The trial judge applied the wrong methodology in determining whether the Applicant Fundy Contractors was entitled to damages for business loss. The trial judge erred in using the present value approach based on a loss as of the date of expropriation.
The trial judge erred in rejecting an approach that uses hindsight information to calculate the loss; 2. […] in fact or mixed fact and law in awarding the amount of $345,000 and interest thereon for a business loss resulting from the expropriation of the Dexter Pit.
The trial judge improperly assessed the amount of damages by failing to adequately account for the evidence of a lack of actual losses suffered by the Applicant Fundy Contractors after the expropriation; 3. […] in law or mixed fact and law in finding that the Applicant Fundy Contractors Limited [was] entitled to damages and interest thereon for injurious affection resulting from the expropriation of the Pennfield Property.
There was insufficient evidence before the trial judge to establish the pre-requisite elements necessary to support an award of damages; 4. […] in fact or mixed fact and law in awarding the amount of $259,543 plus interest for injurious affection arising out of the partial taking of the Pennfield Property. There was insufficient evidence before the trial judge to support the amount of damages assessed by the trial judge. III. Standard of Review [ 7 ] The appellate standard of review contemplated by Housen v. Nikolaisen , 2002 SCC 33 , [2002] 2 S.C.R. 235 , applies.
The applicable standard depends on the nature of the question in issue. Questions of law are reviewed on the correctness standard and questions of fact, on the palpable and overriding error standard. Questions of mixed law and fact are also reviewed on the palpable and overriding standard unless an extricable question of law is identified, in which case correctness is the standard. See also Young v.
City of Moncton , 2002 NBCA 26 , 248 N.B.R. (2d) 360 , where Drapeau J.A. addressed the standard of appellate review in an expropriation case and held that deference must be granted to the trial judge’s findings of fact, absent “material error” (para. 21). [ 8 ] An award of damages should not be altered unless the trial judge applied a wrong principle of law, or the award can clearly be characterized as being wholly erroneous: Saint John Regional Hospital v. Comeau, Smith, MacDonald, Dornan, Lamon , 2001 NBCA 113 , 244 N.B.R. (2d) 201 , at para. 85 . IV.
Analysis [ 9 ] I will convert the grounds of appeal into two questions: A. Did the trial judge err in awarding and assessing special economic loss damages in the amount of $345,000 resulting from the expropriation of the Dexter Pit? B. Did the trial judge err in awarding and assessing damages in the amount of $259,543 for injurious affection resulting from the expropriation of the Pennfield Property? A. Did the trial judge err in awarding and assessing special economic loss damages in the amount of $345,000 resulting from the expropriation of the Dexter Pit?
1. Context [ 10 ] At the time of expropriation, Fundy, a multi-generational company in operation since 1958, was a heavy civil contractor operating a ready-mix concrete plant in Bethel, New Brunswick. It also operated out of the same location, a construction business (specializing in road, bridge and pier construction and repair) as well as a business of processing, selling, and supplying aggregate (stones, gravel, and sand) and concrete products (value-added products) primarily in the Charlotte County area.
Fundy owned several properties in Charlotte County, from which it sourced most of the aggregate it used in its business. The concrete and aggregate business provided materials not only to Fundy’s construction operations but also to external parties. [ 11 ] The Dexter Pit was located near the concrete plant, and Fundy purchased it in 1983. They both bordered the north side of what was, before the expropriation, the main highway through Charlotte County. The Dexter Pit was described by several witnesses as containing rare high-quality aggregate that could not be found elsewhere in Charlotte County.
The closest pit with comparable product – the Blagdon Pit – was located approximately 100 km away in Welsford, New Brunswick. This aggregate enabled Fundy to produce concrete that met the standards set by the Canadian Standards Association, the New Brunswick Department of Transportation and Infrastructure and the American Standards Association. Fundy’s strategy was to only sell aggregate from the Dexter Pit when job specifications called for high-quality aggregate.
It enabled Fundy to bid on large jobs and, because of Dexter Pit’s high- quality aggregate, Fundy had an advantage over its competitors who had to purchase this aggregate when they required it for a job. [ 12 ] The Dexter Pit was expropriated on October 20, 2009. The trial judge concluded the loss of the Dexter Pit left a huge hole in Fundy’s inventory of aggregate, which could not have been replaced with aggregate from other pits in the area. He found that the value of Fundy’s special economic loss as a result of the expropriation of the Dexter Pit was $345,000. 2.
Special Economic Advantage [ 13 ] In its Further Amended Notice of Arbitration, Fundy alleged that because “ of the very close proximity of these high quality aggregates to its concrete plant operations, ” it “ had a special economic advantage with regard to its ownership of the Dexter pit ” and claimed damages not reflected in the market value of the land pursuant to s. 38(1) (
d) of the Act (emphasis in original) . [ 14 ]
Section 25 of the Act imposes a statutory duty on the expropriating authority to compensate the landowner, and s. 30(1)(
a) grants the Court of King’s Bench exclusive jurisdiction to hear and determine all questions of compensation required to be paid under the Act or arising out of an expropriation or injurious affection to which the Act applies. [ 15 ] Section 38(1) of the Act identifies four discrete categories of compensation payable to an owner where land is expropriated :
(1) Where the land of an owner is expropriated, the compensation to the owner shall be based upon (
a) the market value of the land, (
b) damages attributable to disturbance , (
c) damages for injurious affection, (
d) any special economic advantage arising out of his occupation of the land that is not reflected in the market value of the land , but where the market value is based upon a use of the land other than the existing use , compensation under paragraphs (
a) and (
b) shall not exceed the greater of (
e) the amount based upon the existing use to which the land is being put and disturbance damages, or (
f) the amount based upon the highest and best use to which the land may be put, and no compensation shall be awarded under paragraph (d). 38
(1) Lorsque le bien-fonds d’un propriétaire est exproprié, l’indemnité à verser au propriétaire doit être fondée sur
a) la valeur marchande du bien,
b) les dommages attribuables au trouble de jouissance,
c) les dommages causés par un préjudice,
d) tout avantage économique particulier résultant de son occupation du bien-fonds, qui n’est pas reflété dans la valeur marchande du bien-fonds, mais lorsque la valeur marchande est fondée sur un usage du bien-fonds autre que l’usage actuel, l’indemnité au
titre des alinéas
a) et
b) ne doit pas dépasser le plus élevé des montants suivants
e) le montant fondé sur l’usage actuel auquel est affecté le bien-fonds et sur les dommages causés par le trouble de jouissance, ou
f) le montant fondé sur l’usage optimal et le meilleur auquel peut être affecté le bien- fonds, et aucune indemnité ne doit être allouée en application de l’alinéa d). [ 16 ] In s. 39(1) , market value is defined as follows: 39
(1) The market value of land expropriated is the amount that would have been paid for the land if it had been sold on the date of expropriation in the open market by a willing seller to a willing buyer. 39
(1) La valeur marchande d’un bien-fonds exproprié est égale à la somme qui aurait été payée pour le bien-fonds s’il avait été vendu à la date d’expropriation sur le marché libre par un vendeur consentant à un acheteur consentant. [ 17 ] The trial judge accepted that the highest and best use of the Dexter Pit, the area with extractable aggregate, was as a gravel pit and awarded $969,500 for the market value of the land. This award was not appealed. [ 18 ] New Brunswick is a jurisdiction which assesses compensation for expropriation based on a “market value plus” approach as detailed in s. 38 of the Act and express provision is made for “special economic advantage.” However, the Act does not
define the expression “special economic advantage”, as it does the term “injurious affection,” nor does it state how to determine its value,as it does for “market value” in s. 39 or what damages should be included when assessing compensation for the business loss to theowner of “special economic advantage”, as it does for damages attributable to “disturbance” in s. 45. However, s. 38(1)(
d) makes it clearthat it is meant to compensate a special value “not reflected in the market value of the land.” [19] The meaning of the expression is helpfully summarized by Eric C.E. Todd in The Law of Expropriation andCompensation in Canada (2nd ed., Carswell, 1992) as follows: Special Economic Advantage In jurisdictions which have adopted a statutory check-list of compensable items, based on a “market value plus” approach tocompensation express provision is made for the usual instances of special value.
An owner is usually entitled to compensation for “anyelement of special economic advantage arising out of or incidental to … occupation of the land”. Compensation may also be expresslyprovided for non-marketable residential improvements. It has been stated that the special economic advantage provision is a statutory retention of a vestige of (the) ‘value to the owner’ concept.
The ‘value’ referred to in that subsection must be special or unique to theowner, it must arise out of his occupation of the land and it must be a value which is not included in the compensation awarded under anyof the other heads or principles of compensation set forth in the Act. The advantage must be (
a) special, (
b) economic and, (
c) arise out of use or occupation. [pp. 117-118] [20] The Province claims there was no finding of a special advantage to the owner that no one else using theproperty could enjoy and that the owner was actually using the property for that purpose. I disagree.
Based on the evidence adduced byexpert witnesses and others, the judge rejected the argument that the loss was a mere loss of inventory and concluded that Fundy lost avaluable asset as a result of the expropriation of the Dexter Pit, “a pit with a prime location and a quality of aggregate that was ‘rare’; apit that it was using strategically to ensure its continued competitiveness in the heavy civil contracting industry in Charlotte County for avery long time” (emphasis added; para. 144).
He opined that to say that Fundy could replace the Dexter Pit with aggregate from otherpits in the area was “tantamount […] to comparing apples to oranges” (idem). [21] In Gagetown Lumber Co. Ltd. v. The Queen, (SCC), [1957] S.C.R. 44, the Supreme Courtconcluded, in circumstances similar to those of the present case, that awarding only the market value of the land expropriated would notbe adequate compensation because the property was of particular value to the owner.
It held that, “In determining the value to the owner,all advantages which the land possesses, present or future, in his hands are to be taken into consideration, and he is entitled to have theprice assessed in reference to those advantages which will give the land the greatest value” (emphasis added; p. 62). [22] In that case, the government expropriated freehold and licensed timberlands for the construction of a militarybase, part of which is located near Gagetown, New Brunswick. The owner of the timberlands also operated a lumber mill and lumberyardnearby, which had rail facilities for exporting lumber.
This was a long established, successful, and profitable undertaking. The timberlimits had been obtained as a source of log supply for the mill at Gagetown, the company had access to the expropriated property bygood roads, and the source of supply of logs from farmers in the vicinity of Gagetown was progressively dwindling, which increased thevalue of this property to the company. [23] The Supreme Court found that the property was of particular value to the company as it had advantages due tothe company’s ability to convert logs into lumber and its well-established business nearby for selling lumber at a profit.
Theseadvantages gave the land greater value to the Gagetown Lumber Company than it would have to someone without similar facilities,value over and above the market value of the land. The Court proceeded to evaluate these advantages by utilizing the available evidenceas to the profit that could be realized from selling the timber and pulpwood on the property and increased the award to the company forthe freehold properties by $55,000. [24] In Clark v.
Province of New Brunswick, 2015 NBQB 122, 437 N.B.R. (2d) 5, the court considered whether theowners of an expropriated woodlot were entitled to compensation beyond the market value of the property. The Province conceded that,
should the owners have an entitlement to additional compensation, it would fall under the rubric of special economic advantage pursuant to s. 38(1)(d). The owners maintained they had been attending to the woodlots to create a high-quality forest, which would have yielded higher revenues for them when harvested during their retirement.
The court concluded that the owners did not meet the burden upon them to establish an entitlement to compensation under the category of special economic advantage because of their failure to provide evidence to support the submission that the way the woodlots had been managed had resulted in a special economic advantage to them which would not have been available to others using the property in the same way. [ 25 ] Fundy’s situation is more akin to that of Gagetown Lumber Company.
Fundy clearly derived an advantage from the Dexter Pit as it had the facilities nearby to profitably operate the property, either as a source of unprocessed aggregate or in the conversion of the aggregate into value-added products, not only for Fundy’s construction operation but also to sell to third parties. Another advantage was the Dexter Pit’s location, i.e., adjacent to the main highway, which eliminated issues such as weight restrictions and reduced the haulage costs . The source of aggregate in Fundy’s other pits was depleting, which increased the value of this property to the company.
It is implicit in the trial judge’s reasons that he found these advantages gave the land greater value to Fundy than it would have to someone without similar facilities. I agree. 3. Quantifying the Business Loss [ 26 ] Each party called an expert, who filed a report and testified concerning the business loss suffered by Fundy due to the expropriation of the Dexter Pit. The Province called Suzanne Loomer, of the accounting firm KPMG, who was declared an expert in business valuation and loss quantification.
Fundy retained Paul Bradley, of the accounting firm Deloitte, who was declared an expert in business valuation, with expertise in evaluating losses caused by expropriation. [ 27 ] The Province argues that Fundy has not proven any loss under this heading and that the evidence, particularly that of Ms. Loomer, demonstrates that Fundy has not suffered any business loss. [ 28 ] Mr. Bradley concluded that because of the expropriation, Fundy lost two streams of profit associated with the Dexter Pit aggregate deposit.
The first profit stream is related to income that could be earned from selling unprocessed pit run gravel. In addition, through the operation of its manufacturing business, Fundy had the opportunity to earn a second profit stream from the processing and sale of value-added aggregate products over and above the profit that would be earned from selling pit run. This second profit stream is the focus of Mr. Bradley’s report. He explains it as follows in his report: 23.
As a result of the taking, the income stream associated with aggregate sales to third party customers and internal sales for construction contracts associated with the Dexter Pit has been lost. Accordingly, we have quantified [Fundy]’s business loss as the amount of profits from processing and sale of aggregate products that [Fundy] would have earned but for the taking . 24. In general, the loss of profits was calculated as: Annual volume of extraction from Dexter pit x Selling prices of (aggregate products) less (direct costs)[.] [ 29 ] Mr.
Bradley determined that, in the five years prior to the expropriation, Fundy sold an average of 40,000 tonnes of aggregate per year from all its pits and that only 1,191 tonnes in total came from the Dexter Pit. He also determined that the annual average for 2008 and 2009 was 55,000 tonnes. He understood that the other Fundy pits were nearing depletion, so larger volumes would be extracted from the Dexter Pit. In his report, he explained that if Fundy wanted to maximize its profits, it would only use the aggregate from the Dexter Pit: 49.
Based on the fact that the Dexter Pit is the closest source of material (0.7 kilometers) to [Fundy]’s processing plant, the economic return of [Fundy] would be maximized by sourcing aggregate from the Dexter Pit to serve its processing requirements for projects in the Bethel market.
In other words, if the strategy of [Fundy] were to earn the highest return on its processing activities, it would use the Dexter Pit for all projects in the Bethel area in order to minimize transportation and other variable costs and leverage the advantages of proximity of the material to the plant and scales. [ 30 ] He concluded that an annual extraction of 55,000 tonnes best represented the loss quantum due to the
expropriation. He stated that, if he based the future sales amount on volumes actually used from the Dexter Pit in the five years before expropriation, it would penalize Fundy for its strategy of only using Dexter Pit aggregate when it was required, and would deprive Fundy of the opportunity to process and sell its high-quality aggregate. [ 31 ] The fundamental difference in the evidence given by Mr. Bradley and Ms. Loomer is their approach to determining the loss. Mr.
Bradley’s approach was to use a discount rate to calculate the present value of the stream of profits until the deposit of the Dexter Pit was depleted, the present value date being the date of expropriation, October 20, 2009. Ms. Loomer used the hindsight approach, which uses data generated after the expropriation. She used December 31, 2018, as the valuation date and looked at the financial information for eight years post expropriation.
She found that, since Fundy was able to access aggregate from other pits, it suffered no loss due to expropriation. [ 32 ] Although the trial judge found that it was legally permissible to use the hindsight approach adopted by Ms. Loomer, he decided to give it little weight. He expounded as follows: I am satisfied that the law does allow the approach adopted by Ms. Loomer but in this case I would give it little weight because, as Mr.
Bradley testified, hindsight information does not provide an accurate comparison because it dealt with Fundy’s operations using material from other pits which were not of the quality found in the Dexter pit and would not, therefore, have generated the two streams of income that were available to Fundy from the Dexter pit. [para. 139] [ 33 ] The trial judge identified shortcomings in the evidence provided by Ms. Loomer, which undermined the reliability of her assessment.
This assessment assumed that the quality of aggregate in all of Fundy’s pits was the same; therefore, the aggregate in the Dexter Pit could be replaced with aggregate from other pits. It also contained a factual error where she conflated the Dexter Pit with an unrelated property known as the Dexter Quarry, and this led her to erroneously assert that Fundy had used more aggregate from the Dexter Pit after the expropriation than before. [ 34 ] Mr. Bradley assessed Fundy’s business loss at $1,120,000. In his reasons, the trial judge analyzed in detail the different elements and steps that went into Mr.
Bradley’s calculation. Although the judge preferred Mr. Bradley’s evidence, and quantified Fundy’s loss based generally on Mr. Bradley’s approach, he adjusted the amount and arrived at the figure of $345,000 as fair compensation to Fundy for special economic loss. He rejected the depletion rate of 55,000 tonnes per year adopted by Mr. Bradley. While he agreed that Fundy should not be penalized for its legitimate business strategy of only using Dexter Pit aggregate when it was required to, he found that past extraction numbers had to carry some weight and chose 25,000 tonnes a year as a more realistic amount.
This decreased the loss to $509,707. He further reduced the award by $160,000 to avoid double recovery as he found that Mr. Bradley’s calculation included profit on the sale of unprocessed aggregate that had already been considered to arrive at the market value of the land. He also decreased the total volume of extractable aggregate to accord with the amount the court had settled on to arrive at the market value of the land, which again reduced the amount of the loss. [ 35 ] The Province submits that the potential for profit was already factored into the market value analysis carried out by Mr.
James McDonald, an expert in property appraisals, on whom the trial judge relied to determine the market value of the land. I disagree. Although Mr. McDonald used an income approach, his report quantifies only the value of the unprocessed “out of the bank” aggregate itself, whereas the trial judge quantified the loss of the second stream of potential revenue that could be earned from the processing and sale of aggregate products, i.e., the value-added products.
This loss is not captured in the market value assessment but is captured under damages for the loss of special economic advantage. [ 36 ] As stated, Fundy claimed damages for the loss of special economic advantage pursuant to s. 38(1) (
d) of the Act . The judge awarded $345,000 for special economic loss. In its written submission, the Province asserts that the award of $345,000 was meant to assess “damages attributable to disturbance” which are captured in s. 38(1) (
b) and discussed in ss. 44 and 45 of the Act , because Mr. Bradley refers to the loss as “business losses” or “business disturbance losses,” and therefore the judge erred in law in accepting and relying on Mr. Bradley’s evidence to assess loss of special economic advantage. The Province did not raise this in its grounds of appeal or in the oral submissions before us, but I should like to affirm that it is clear the trial judge meant to fully compensate Fundy for the business loss it suffered as a result of the expropriation of the Dexter Pit.
He correctly framed the issue when he stated that Fundy was claiming “the amount of $1,120,000 as a special economic loss to its business arising from the effects on its business of the loss of the Dexter [P]it including the loss of profits from selling aggregate and the loss of profits from processing and selling aggregate to third parties” (para. 108).
It is implicit from his reasons for judgment that the trial judge was satisfied Fundy derived a special economic advantage from the proximity of the Dexter Pit to its manufacturing plant, and it is the loss of this advantage, which he found was not reflected in the market value of the land, that he assessed at $345,000. As the judge noted, “On cross examination Mr.
Bradley testified that the purpose of his report was to determine what amount of money it would take in 2009 dollars to put Fundy where it would have been without the expropriation, i.e., but for the expropriation, what was the loss in value of the business” (para. 126). Although Mr. Bradley refers to “business disturbance losses” and “business losses” it does not follow that the judge erred in relying on his evidence in making an award for special economic loss to compensate Fundy for the loss of its special economic advantage.
[ 37 ] The Province alleges the trial judge conflated his finding regarding the “historical use” of the Dexter Pit with the question of the “existing use.” I disagree. The historical use and the property’s use at the time of expropriation were the same. It had been used as a gravel pit in the past and that use continued. This pit was part of Fundy’s going concern. The fact that Fundy had not used very much of the aggregate of the Dexter Pit during the five-year period preceding expropriation was a management decision.
The inventory was being managed, but Fundy was ready and able to use it in its business whenever a project required that high-quality aggregate, or as testified by Fundy’s operations manager, if another source was no longer viable. This did not change the pit’s existing use. As noted, the judge accepted that the highest and best use of the Dexter Pit, the area with extractable aggregate, was as a gravel pit and concluded that Fundy “was using [the Dexter Pit] strategically to ensure its continued competitiveness” (para. 144).
The judge also noted that the expert witness called by the Province was also of the opinion that the highest and best use of the Dexter Pit was a continuation of its use as a gravel pit. [ 38 ] The Province maintains that if Fundy suffered a loss because it lost the aggregate from the Dexter pit, it was nothing more than a loss of inventory. Therefore, it should have mitigated its loss by replacing the aggregate and the only loss would be any incremental haulage costs. The trial judge rejected this submission as it did not account for the quality of the aggregate which was described as rare.
The aggregate in the Dexter Pit was lost forever and could not be replaced from other pits in the area, and therefore Fundy could not avoid the anticipated loss. [ 39 ] In
summary, in its grounds of appeal, the Province contends the trial judge should have accepted Ms. Loomer’s methodology and hindsight information to calculate the business loss instead of relying on the present value approach based on a loss as of the date of expropriation used by Mr. Bradley. [ 40 ] The trial judge was not bound to accept or reject the evidence of any of the experts in its entirety. As with any other evidence, he was entitled to accept some portions and reject others.
Even if the judge accepts one expert’s opinion over the other’s, it is within his powers to make adjustments required by the evidence if he deems it necessary, which is what occurred in this instance. It was open to the trial judge to prefer Mr. Bradley’s approach to quantify Fundy’s business loss. A trial judge’s decision to prefer the expert evidence of one witness over that of another must be accorded deference (see Stephen Moffett Ltd. v.
Her Majesty the Queen in right of the Province of New Brunswick as represented by the Minister of Transportation , 2005 NBCA 31 , 282 N.B.R. (2d) 337 , para. 3 , per Robertson J.A.; Young v. City of Moncton , paras. 13-14). There is no basis in law to interfere with the trial judge’s decision to rely on Mr. Bradley’s evidence in assessing Fundy’s special economic loss. [ 41 ] The judge found that the Dexter Pit provided Fundy with special economic advantage arising out of its occupation of the land that was not reflected in the market value of the land, and this loss is compensable under s. 38(1) (
d) of the Act . He accepted Mr. Bradley’s approach in quantifying this loss, made certain adjustments, gave cogent reasons for so doing, then extracted from the whole of the evidence, the information he accepted as reasonable to determine the compensable amount owed Fundy for this loss. [ 42 ] There is no basis warranting intervention by the Court regarding the amount of the compensation awarded as special economic loss. I would dismiss this ground of appeal. B.
Did the trial judge err in awarding and assessing damages in the amount of $259,543 for injurious affection resulting from the expropriation of the Pennfield Property? [ 43 ] The Pennfield Property had been used by the previous owner for growing and harvesting blueberries. Fundy bought the Pennfield property in 2005 and continued to lease it to the grower and use it for storage and repair of equipment. However, prior to purchasing the blueberry field, Fundy dug test holes on the Pennfield Property and determined that it contained deposits of gravel throughout.
The trial judge accepted that Fundy bought the property to extract gravel from it, considered it as part of its inventory of aggregate and its intention at the time of the expropriation was to use the gravel in its contracting business. [ 44 ] The Province only expropriated a portion of the Pennfield Property and Fundy was compensated for the land taken.
However, the trial judge found that there was injurious affection to the remaining portion of the property as a result of the expropriation and awarded Fundy damages for this loss in the amount of $259,543 as compensation for the loss of aggregate rendered inaccessible in the remaining portion of the property.
[ 45 ] Section 38(1) (
c) of the Act states that damages to the owner of expropriated land shall be based in part on the damages due to injurious affection.
Section 46 requires that the expropriating authority pay damages for injurious affection. The Act defines “injurious affection” in s. 1 . The relevant portion of that definition reads as follows: “injurious affection” means, (
a) where a statutory authority takes part of the land of an owner, (
i) the reduction in market value thereby caused to the remaining land of the owner by the taking or by the construction of the works thereon or by the use of the works thereon or any combination of them, and (ii) such personal and business damages resulting from the construction or use, or both, of the works as the statutory authority would be liable for if the construction or use were not under the authority of a statute[.] « préjudice » désigne,
a) lorsqu’une autorité légale s’approprie une
partie du bien-fonds d’un propriétaire, (
i) la diminution de la valeur marchande de la
partie restante du bien-fonds du propriétaire, causée par l’appropriation, par la construction d’ouvrages sur ce bien-fonds, par l’utilisation des ouvrages s’y trouvant ou par la réunion de plusieurs de ces éléments, et (ii) le dommage personnel et commercial, résultant de la construction ou de l’utilisation des ouvrages ou des deux à la fois, dont l’autorité légale serait responsable si la construction ou l’utilisation n’intervenait pas en vertu d’une loi[.] [ 46 ] To arrive at his award, the trial judge relied on the evidence of Steven Saunders, a New Brunswick Land Surveyor with extensive experience, who was declared an expert in surveying and the calculation of volumes.
Mr. Saunders performed a thorough and detailed field survey of the Pennfield Property from which he was able to determine the volume of aggregate made inaccessible after the expropriation due to bank sloping and setback constraints created by the construction of the highway. The judge also relied on expert evidence to establish the market price per tonne for the lost aggregate. More than one expert testified that the price was between $0.65 to $0.85 per tonne for raw aggregate in Charlotte County. The trial judge applied the unit rate of $0.85 per tonne.
The Dexter Pit was advantageously located next to a highway adjacent to the main highway, which eliminated issues such as weight restrictions and reduced the haulage costs for buyers. [ 47 ] The numbers, as such, are not seriously challenged.
The Province appeals the damages awarded for injurious affection, as it contends there was insufficient evidence before the trial judge to establish the prerequisite elements necessary to support an award of damages and to support the amount of $259,543 assessed, because the claim was too remote and speculative, the trial judge did not address the demand for aggregate at the time of expropriation and he should not have allowed any compensation for aggregate contained in the 15-metre setback set out by Steven Saunders. [ 48 ] The trial judge accepted that part of the aggregate was no longer accessible due to the setback constraints.
As a result of the Mining Act , S.N.B. 1985, c. M-14.1 , and its General Regulation , N.B. Reg. 86-98 , a mining lease is required to carry on excavation operations, and such operations are prohibited within fifteen metres from a right of way for a public road, unless the owner of the land and the owner of the right of way conclude a variation agreement. In his calculation of the loss, Mr. Saunders included the aggregate contained in the 15-metre buffer zone where no aggregate could be taken after the construction of the highway.
He testified he applied the setback required by regulation and that the material in this area couldn’t be touched and was inaccessible for use as a pit. [ 49 ] In
summary, the Province contends that, before the judge could award damages concerning the aggregate contained within that 15-metre buffer zone, Fundy had to prove that it had applied and obtained a lease for the excavation of the Pennfield Property and that it had tried but failed to negotiate an agreement to reduce or eliminate the setback constraints.
[50] The Mining Act was not raised at trial. Mr. Saunders was not cross-examined concerning the 15-metre bufferzone that he had set out or on his assertion that this zone could not be disturbed. I note that in his report, James McDonald, also statedthat a 15-metre setback must be maintained when excavating near a public road. Mr. McDonald was an accredited appraiser, who wasdeclared an expert in real estate appraisals, and on whom the trial judge relied to determine the fair market value of the Dexter Pit.
Therepresentatives of Fundy (namely its owner who had been with the company since 1969 and its operations manager who had worked forFundy since 1977) testified that Fundy could no longer exploit this portion due to setback requirements and slope issues.
Their evidenceon this point stands wholly uncontradicted. [51] Based on the evidentiary record, it was open to the trial judge to conclude that Fundy could no longer exploitthe aggregate within the 15-metre buffer zone, and he made no palpable and overriding error in doing so. [52] I agree with the Province that, when a court considers damages for injurious affection, the damage sufferedmust not be too remote.
As Professor Todd explained, “The injurious affection for which compensation is claimed must have a causalconnection with the expropriation, i.e. it must not be too remote” (p. 342). [53] The causal connection here is clear; the loss of the aggregate would not have occurred but for the Province’sdecision to expropriate. The aggregate was rendered inaccessible due to the placement of the highway on the land. This was the naturaland reasonable consequence of the expropriation. [54] The judge’s award has a basis in the evidence. In my view, the damages are not uncertain, speculative, or tooremote.
The trial judge found that Fundy’s intention at the time of the expropriation was to use the gravel in its contracting business. Tooperate its business, Fundy sourced materials from its own pits and from those owned by third parties. There was evidence that other pitsin the area were depleting.
There was expert evidence concerning the volume of aggregate no longer accessible due to the construction ofthe highway, the market price for pit run gravel in Charlotte County and the overall demand for aggregate in Charlotte County for thefive-year period prior to the expropriation. [55] I am unable to say that the trial judge was wrong to assess this loss as he did. It is not the role of this Court toreweigh or reassess the evidence. I would not accede to this ground of appeal. V. Conclusion and Disposition [56] In Toronto Area Transit Operating Authority v.
Dell Holdings Ltd., (CSC), [1997] 1 S.C.R.32, [1997] S.C.J. No. 6 (QL), the Supreme Court provides guidance as to the general principle to be applied for compensation inexpropriation matters. Cory J., writing for the majority, stated: The expropriation of property is one of the ultimate exercises of governmental authority. To take all or a part of a person’s propertyconstitutes a severe loss and a very significant interference with a citizen’s private property rights.
It follows that the power of anexpropriating authority should be strictly construed in favour of those whose rights have been affected. […] [para. 20] [57] Application of the full compensation principle was confirmed in Her Majesty the Queen (Minister ofTransportation) v. Soucy, 2021 NBCA 11, [2021] N.B.J. No. 50 (QL), at para. 19, per Quigg J.A., writing for the Court.
In this case, thetrial judge’s reasons for judgment reveal he accurately instructed himself on the principles of law that govern the determination ofcompensation to the person whose land is expropriated and correctly applied those principles to the facts as he found them. [58] Although this appeal does not address the market value of the land as such, I find that the following comments,made by Drapeau J.A., writing for the Court in Young v.
City of Moncton, are also relevant in this case, as we are dealing with damagesfor loss of a special economic advantage and for injurious affection, two other categories to be considered when determiningcompensation payable to the owner where land is expropriated:
The review that the appellant asks this Court to undertake is one that must be conducted within a framework which, in the absence ofsome material error by the trial judge, calls for a high degree of deference for his findings of fact and his conclusion, one that was largelyfact-driven, on the issue of the subject property’s market value. The several justifications for appellate deference toward the trial judge’sconclusions of fact are adumbrated in St-Jean v. Mercier, 2002 SCC 15; [2002] S.C.J. No. 17, online: Quicklaw (SCJ).
Appellatedeference for those conclusions is appropriate not only because of the special advantages that come with presiding over the trial but, aswell, because, as Gonthier J. explains in St-Jean v. Mercier, at para. 42, “the autonomy and integrity of the trial process as well asresource allocation militate in favour of the finality of judgments”. Few would argue with the proposition that the finality of judgmentsserves the best interests of justice. See Friolet v. Friolet (1998), (NB CA), 201 N.B.R. (2d) 118, at paras. 22-23(C.A.).
While it is true that the principle of non-interference in a trial judge’s findings of fact does not apply with equal force to inferences drawnfrom conflicting expert testimony where, as here, credibility is not an issue, the setting aside of any such inference cannot be justifiedunless it was not reasonably open to the trial judge to extract it from the evidence.
See Toneguzzo-Norvell (Guardian ad litem of) v.Burnaby Hospital, (CSC), [1994] 1 S.C.R. 114, at pages 121-22. [paras. 21-22] [59] In my opinion, the Province is using this appeal as an opportunity to try to re-litigate the issues that were beforethe trial judge. Appellate courts review for error; it is not their role to retry cases: Lemay v. Peters, 2014 NBCA 59, 425 N.B.R. (2d) 336,at para. 31, per Richard J.A. (as he then was), leave to appeal refused, 36163 (14 May 2015), [2014] S.C.C.A.
No. 495 (QL). [60] In making the awards that he did, the trial judge carried out his function of assessing and weighing theevidence, rejecting that which could not be supported, and coming to the best conclusion he could as to the proper amount ofcompensation to be awarded. I am not persuaded that this Court ought to disturb his judgment. In sum, I have found no reversible error inthe decision of the judge. I would therefore dismiss the appeal. [61] The trial judge deferred the issues of the owner’s time, costs, and interest to a subsequent hearing.
At therequest of counsel, I would also defer the question of costs of this appeal to a subsequent hearing. Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par LA JUGE LAVIGNE I. Introduction et vue d’ensemble [1] En 2008-2009, la Province du Nouveau-Brunswick a exproprié des parties de trois biens appartenant à FundyContractors Limited dans le comté de Charlotte, au Nouveau-Brunswick, en vue de la construction du projet Gateway, qui visait laconstruction d’une autoroute à quatre voies allant de la frontière du Maine à St. Stephen jusqu’à Saint John.
Les biens expropriés, connussous le nom de la carrière Dexter, de la carrière Hawkins et du bien de Pennfield, étaient tous situés dans la région de Bethel, dans lecomté de Charlotte. La Province s’est approprié la majeure
partie de la carrière Dexter et des parties des deux autres biens. Bien que laProvince ait offert une indemnité à Fundy, les parties n’ont pas réussi à s’entendre sur le plein montant de l’indemnité payable enapplication de la
Loi sur l’expropriation, L.R.N.-B. 1973, ch. E-14, (la Loi) et, en conséquence, Fundy a saisi la Cour du Banc de laReine (telle qu’elle s’appelait alors) pour régler le litige. L’intimée Nancy H. Young détient un droit sur un bien dont Fundy estfiduciaire, mais elle n’a pas participé au litige. [2] Fundy a réclamé une indemnité de l’ordre de 3,1 millions de dollars et, à l’issue d’un procès de onze jours,s’est vu accorder une somme d’environ 1,9 million de dollars. Pas moins de neuf témoins experts ont été appelés à témoigner.
Le juge duprocès a conclu que l’indemnité proposée par la Province ne tenait pas compte de la pleine ampleur des pertes subies par Fundy, et il aadjugé l’indemnité suivante :
A. La carrière Dexter 1. juste valeur marchande : 969 500 $ (sous réserve d’une déduction pour les sommes déjà payées par la Province); 2. atteinte préjudiciable : 1 400 $; 3. perte économique particulière : 345 000 $; 4. perte économique particulière (frais de déplacement) : 331 791,50 $. B. La carrière Hawkins – perte économique particulière : aucune. C. Le bien de Pennfield – atteinte préjudiciable : 259 543 $. [3] La Province a également offert la somme de 32 675 $ au
titre de la valeur marchande de la carrière Hawkins et du bien de Pennfield, indemnité qui n’a pas été contestée par Fundy. [4] La Province fait appel du jugement, invoquant des erreurs de droit ou des erreurs mixtes de fait et de droit concernant deux questions seulement : les dommages-intérêts de 345 000 $ adjugés pour la perte économique particulière découlant de l’expropriation de la carrière Dexter, et les dommages-intérêts de 259 543 $ adjugés pour l’atteinte préjudiciable liée au bien de Pennfield. [5] Pour les motifs exposés ci-après, je suis d’avis de rejeter l’appel. II.
Moyens d’appel [6] Dans son avis d’appel, la Province soutient que le juge du procès a commis les erreurs suivantes : [TRADUCTION] 1. […] [une erreur] de droit ou [une erreur] mixte de fait et de droit en concluant que la requérante Fundy Contractors Limited avait droit à des dommages-intérêts de 345 000 $, intérêts en sus, au
titre d’une perte commerciale découlant de l’expropriation de la carrière Dexter. Le juge du procès n’a pas appliqué la bonne méthode pour déterminer si la requérante Fundy Contractors avait droit à des dommages-intérêts pour perte commerciale. Il a commis une erreur en utilisant la méthode de la valeur actualisée fondée sur une perte à la date de l’expropriation.
Il a commis une erreur en rejetant la méthode de calcul de la perte fondée sur de l’information obtenue a posteriori; 2. […] [une erreur] de fait ou [une erreur] mixte de fait et de droit en adjugeant la somme de 345 000 $, intérêts en sus, pour une perte commerciale découlant de l’expropriation de la carrière Dexter.
Le juge du procès a mal évalué les dommages-intérêts en ne prenant pas adéquatement en compte la preuve que la requérante Fundy Contractors n’avait pas subi de perte réelle par suite de l’expropriation; 3. […] [une erreur] de droit ou [une erreur] mixte de fait et de droit en concluant que la requérante Fundy Contractors Limited avait droit à des dommages-intérêts, intérêts en sus, pour l’atteinte préjudiciable découlant de l’expropriation du bien de Pennfield. Le juge du procès ne disposait pas de suffisamment de preuve pour établir les conditions préalables à l’attribution de dommages-intérêts;
4. […] [une erreur] de fait ou [une erreur] mixte de fait et de droit en accordant la somme de 259 543 $, intérêts en sus, pour l’atteinte préjudiciable découlant de l’appropriation partielle du bien de Pennfield. Le juge du procès ne disposait pas de suffisamment de preuve à l’appui du montant qu’il a fixé au
titre des dommages-intérêts. III. Norme de contrôle [7] La norme de contrôle en appel énoncée dans l’arrêt Housen c. Nikolaisen , 2002 CSC 33 , [2002] 2 R.C.S. 235 , s’applique . La norme applicable est tributaire de la nature de la question en litige. La norme de contrôle applicable aux questions de droit est la norme de la décision correcte, et la norme applicable aux questions de fait est la norme de l’erreur manifeste et dominante.
La norme de contrôle applicable aux questions mixtes de droit et de fait est aussi la norme de l’erreur manifeste et dominante, sauf lorsqu’une question de droit isolable s’en dégage; c’est alors la norme de la décision correcte qui s’applique. Voir aussi Young c.
City of Moncton , 2002 NBCA 26 , 248 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 360 , où le juge Drapeau s’est penché sur la norme de contrôle en appel dans une affaire d’expropriation et a conclu que, en l’absence d’une [TRADUCTION] « erreur importante », il y a lieu de faire preuve de retenue quant aux conclusions de fait du juge du procès (par. 21). [8] Il n’y a pas lieu de modifier les dommages-intérêts adjugés, sauf si le juge du procès a appliqué le mauvais principe de droit ou s’il est possible de dire que le montant adjugé est tout à fait erroné : Saint John Regional Hospital c.
Comeau , Smith, MacDonald, Doran, Lamon, 2001 NBCA 113 , 244 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 201 , par. 85 . IV. Analyse [9] Je vais ramener les moyens d’appel à deux questions : A. Le juge du procès a-t-il commis une erreur en évaluant et en adjugeant des dommages-intérêts de 345 000 $ pour perte économique particulière découlant de l’expropriation de la carrière Dexter? B. Le juge du procès a-t-il commis une erreur en évaluant et en adjugeant des dommages-intérêts de 259 543 $ pour atteinte préjudiciable découlant de l’expropriation du bien de Pennfield? A.
Le juge du procès a-t-il commis une erreur en évaluant et en adjugeant des dommages-intérêts de 345 000 $ pour perte économique particulière découlant de l’expropriation de la carrière Dexter? 1. Contexte [10] Au moment de l’expropriation, Fundy, une entreprise multigénérationnelle en activité depuis 1958, était une entrepreneure en génie civil lourd qui exploitait une usine de béton prêt à l’emploi située à Bethel, au Nouveau-Brunswick.
Elle exploitait également, à partir du même emplacement, une entreprise de construction (spécialisée dans la construction et la réparation de routes, de ponts et de quais) ainsi qu’une entreprise de transformation, de vente et de fourniture de granulat (pierres, gravier et sable) et de produits de béton (produits à valeur ajoutée), surtout dans la région du comté de Charlotte. Fundy était propriétaire de plusieurs biens dans le comté de Charlotte, à partir desquels elle tirait la majeure
partie du granulat qu’elle utilisait dans ses activités. L’entreprise de vente de béton et de granulat fournissait du matériau non seulement pour les activités de construction de Fundy, mais aussi à des tiers. [11] La carrière Dexter était située près de l’usine à béton, et Fundy l’a achetée en 1983. Les deux longeaient le côté nord de ce qui était, avant l’expropriation, l’autoroute principale traversant le comté de Charlotte. Plusieurs témoins ont affirmé que la carrière Dexter contenait un granulat rare de qualité supérieure que l’on ne pouvait trouver ailleurs dans le comté de Charlotte.
La carrière la plus rapprochée ayant un produit comparable – la carrière Blagdon – était située à environ 100 kilomètres de distance, à Welsford, au Nouveau-Brunswick. Ce granulat permettait à Fundy de produire du béton qui répondait aux normes établies par l’Association canadienne de normalisation, le ministère des Transports et de l’Infrastructure du Nouveau-Brunswick et l’American Standards Association. La stratégie de Fundy était de ne vendre le granulat provenant de la carrière Dexter que lorsque le cahier des
charges d’un ouvrage exigeait un granulat de qualité supérieure. Fundy pouvait alors soumissionner d’importants travaux et, en raison de la qualité supérieure du granulat provenant de la carrière Dexter, elle bénéficiait d’un avantage sur ses concurrents, qui devaient acheter ce granulat lorsque les travaux l’exigeaient. [12] La carrière Dexter a été expropriée le 20 octobre 2009. Le juge du procès a conclu que la perte de la carrière Dexter a laissé un important vide dans les stocks de granulat de Fundy, vide qui n’aurait pu être comblé par du granulat provenant d’autres carrières de la région.
Il a conclu que la valeur de la perte économique particulière subie par Fundy par suite de l’expropriation de la carrière Dexter était de 345 000 $. 2. Avantage économique particulier [13] Dans son nouvel avis d’arbitrage modifié, Fundy a soutenu qu’en raison [TRADUCTION] « de la très grande proximité de ce granulat de qualité supérieure de son usine à béton », elle [TRADUCTION] « avait un avantage économique particulier du fait d’être propriétaire de la carrière Dexter », et elle a réclamé des dommages-intérêts qui n’étaient pas reflétés dans la valeur marchande du bien-fonds, en vertu de l’al. 38(1)
d) de la Loi (soulignement dans l’original). [14] L’article 25 de la Loi impose à l’autorité expropriante une obligation d’origine législative d’indemniser le propriétaire du bien-fonds, et l’al. 30(1)
a) confère à la Cour du Banc du Roi compétence exclusive pour entendre et décider toutes les questions relatives aux indemnités qui doivent être payées en application de la Loi ou qui résultent d’une expropriation ou d’un préjudice auxquels s’applique la Loi . [15] Le paragraphe 38(1) de la Loi relève quatre catégories d’indemnités payables au propriétaire lorsqu’un bien- fonds est exproprié :
(1) Where the land of an owner is expropriated, the compensation to the owner shall be based upon (
a) the market value of the land, (
b) damages attributable to disturbance, (
c) damages for injurious affection, (
d) any special economic advantage arising out of his occupation of the land that is not reflected in the market value of the land, but where the market value is based upon a use of the land other than the existing use, compensation under paragraphs (
a) and (
b) shall not exceed the greater of (
e) the amount based upon the existing use to which the land is being put and disturbance damages, or (
f) the amount based upon the highest and best use to which the land may be put, and no compensation shall be awarded under paragraph (d). 38
(1) Lorsque le bien-fonds d’un propriétaire est exproprié, l’indemnité à verser au propriétaire doit être fondée sur
a) la valeur marchande du bien,
b) les dommages attribuables au trouble de jouissance,
c) les dommages causés par un préjudice,
d) tout avantage économique particulier résultant de son occupation du bien-fonds, qui n’est pas reflété dans la valeur marchande du bien-fonds, mais lorsque la valeur marchande est fondée sur un usage du bien-fonds autre que l’usage actuel, l’indemnité au
titre des alinéas
a) et
b) ne doit pas dépasser le plus élevé des montants suivants
e) le montant fondé sur l’usage actuel auquel est affecté le bien-fonds et sur les dommages causés par le trouble de jouissance, ou
f) le montant fondé sur l’usage optimal et le meilleur auquel peut être affecté le bien- fonds, et aucune indemnité ne doit être allouée en application de l’alinéa d). [16] Au paragraphe 39(1), la valeur marchande est définie ainsi : 39
(1) The market value of land expropriated is the amount that would have been paid for the land if it had been sold on the date of expropriation in the open market by a willing seller to a willing buyer. 39
(1) La valeur marchande d’un bien-fonds exproprié est égale à la somme qui aurait été payée pour le bien-fonds s’il avait été vendu à la date d’expropriation sur le marché libre par un vendeur consentant à un acheteur consentant. [17] Le juge du procès a reconnu que l’usage optimal et le meilleur auquel pouvait être affectée la carrière Dexter, la zone comportant le granulat extractible, était comme gravière, et il a adjugé 969 500 $ au
titre de la valeur marchande du bien-fonds. Cette somme n’a pas été portée en appel. [18] Le Nouveau-Brunswick est un ressort qui a adopté une méthode fondée sur la [TRADUCTION] « valeur
marchande majorée », telle que décrite à l’art. 38 de la Loi, pour établir l’indemnité consécutive à une expropriation, et il prévoitexpressément l’ « avantage économique particulier ».
La Loi ne définit toutefois pas le terme « avantage économique particulier »,comme elle le fait pour le terme « préjudice »; elle n’indique pas non plus comment déterminer sa valeur, comme elle le fait pour la« valeur marchande » à l’art. 39, ni quels dommages devraient être inclus dans le calcul de l’indemnité pour la perte commerciale quesubit le propriétaire d’un « avantage économique particulier », comme elle le fait pour les dommages attribuables à un « trouble dejouissance » à l’art. 45. Toutefois, il ressort clairement de l’al. 38(1)
d) que l’indemnité vise une valeur particulière qui « n’est pasreflété[e] dans la valeur marchande du bien-fonds ». [19] Eric C.E. Todd résume bien le sens du terme dans The Law of Expropriation and Compensation in Canada (2e éd., Carswell, 1992) : [TRADUCTION] Avantage économique particulier Dans les ressorts qui ont adopté une liste de contrôle des éléments indemnisables prescrite par la loi et établie suivant la méthoded’indemnisation fondée sur la « valeur marchande majorée », on prévoit expressément les cas habituels de valeur particulière.
Unpropriétaire a habituellement droit à une indemnité pour [TRADUCTION] « tout élément présentant un avantage économique particulierdécoulant de l’occupation du bien-fonds ou accessoire à cette occupation […] » Parfois aussi, on prévoit expressément l’indemnisationau
titre d’améliorations résidentielles non vendables. Certains ont affirmé que la disposition touchant l’avantage économique particulier est [TRADUCTION] la rétention [législative] d’un vestige de la notion de « valeur pour le propriétaire ». La « valeur » visée dans ce paragraphe doit êtreparticulière ou unique pour le propriétaire, elle doit découler de son occupation du bien-fonds, et elle doit être une valeur qui n’est pascomprise dans l’indemnité adjugée au
titre de l’un quelconque des autres chefs ou principes d’indemnisation énoncés dans la Loi. L’avantage doit être
a) particulier,
b) économique, et
c) découler de l’utilisation ou de l’occupation. [p. 117 et 118] [20] La Province soutient qu’il n’a pas été conclu que le propriétaire bénéficiait d’un avantage particulier dontaucune autre personne utilisant le bien ne pourrait bénéficier et qu’il utilisait effectivement le bien pour cette fin. Je ne souscris pas à cetargument.
Selon la preuve présentée par les témoins experts et par d’autres personnes, le juge a rejeté l’argument voulant que la pertesoit une simple perte de stocks et a conclu que Fundy avait perdu un bien de grande valeur par suite de l’expropriation de la carrièreDexter, [TRADUCTION] « une carrière ayant un emplacement privilégié et dont la qualité du granulat était [TRADUCTION] “rare”;une carrière dont Fundy se servait stratégiquement pour garantir sa compétitivité continue dans le secteur du génie civil lourd dans lecomté de Charlotte, et ce, depuis très longtemps » (soulignement ajouté; par. 144).
Il a exprimé l’avis que prétendre que Fundy pouvaitremplacer la carrière Dexter par du granulat extrait d’autres carrières de la région [TRADUCTION] « reviendrait […] à comparer despommes et des oranges » (idem). [21] Dans Gagetown Lumber Co. Ltd. c. The Queen, (SCC), [1957] R.C.S. 44, la Cour suprême aconclu, dans une situation semblable à l’affaire dont nous sommes saisis, que l’attribution de la seule valeur marchande du bien-fondsexproprié ne constituerait pas une indemnité adéquate, puisque le bien avait une valeur particulière pour le propriétaire.
Elle a concluque, [TRADUCTION] « en établissant la valeur pour le propriétaire, il faut tenir compte de tous les avantages, actuels ou futurs, queprésente le bien-fonds entre les mains de celui-ci, et le propriétaire a droit à ce que le prix soit déterminé par rapport aux avantages quiprocureront au bien-fonds la plus grande valeur » (soulignement ajouté; p. 62). [22] Dans cette affaire-là, le gouvernement avait exproprié des terres forestières exploitables, qui étaient détenuesen tenure franche et faisaient l’objet d’un permis, en vue de la construction d’une base militaire, dont une
partie est située près deGagetown, au Nouveau-Brunswick. Le propriétaire de ces terres forestières exploitait également à proximité une scierie et un parc à boisdébités qui disposaient d’installations ferroviaires pour l’exportation de bois d’œuvre. Il s’agissait d’une entreprise établie depuislongtemps, qui était prospère et rentable. Les concessions forestières avaient été obtenues comme source d’approvisionnement de grumespour la scierie de Gagetown, l’entreprise avait accès au bien exproprié par de bons chemins, et la source d’approvisionnement de grumesdes agriculteurs de la région de Gagetown s’épuisait progressivement, ce qui augmentait la valeur de ce bien pour l’entreprise.
[23] La Cour suprême a conclu que le bien avait une valeur particulière pour l’entreprise, puisqu’il présentait desavantages en raison de la capacité de l’entreprise de convertir les grumes en bois d’œuvre et en raison de l’entreprise bien établie devente de bois d’œuvre à profit qui se trouvait à proximité. En raison de ces avantages, le bien-fonds avait une plus grande valeur pour laGagetown Lumber Company que pour une personne qui n’avait pas d’installations semblables, une valeur en sus de la valeur marchandedu bien-fonds.
La Cour a ensuite évalué ces avantages à partir de la preuve dont elle disposait quant au profit que pouvait générer lavente du bois d’œuvre et du bois à pâte sur le bien et a majoré de 55 000 $ la somme adjugée à l’entreprise pour les biens détenus entenure franche. [24] Dans Clark c. Province of New Brunswick, 2015 NBQB 122 , 2015 NBBR 122, 437 R.N.-B. (2e) 5, lacour s’est penchée sur la question de savoir si les propriétaires d’une terre à bois expropriée avaient droit à une indemnité supérieure à lavaleur marchande du bien.
La Province a admis que, si les propriétaires devaient avoir droit à une indemnité supplémentaire, ce serait àtitre d’avantage économique particulier aux termes de l’al. 38(1)d). Les propriétaires ont soutenu qu’ils s’étaient occupés des terres àbois en vue de créer une forêt de qualité supérieure qui leur aurait procuré des revenus supérieurs lors de la coupe de bois durant leurretraite. La cour a conclu que les propriétaires ne s’étaient pas acquittés du fardeau qui leur incombait d’établir qu’ils avaient droit à uneindemnité au
titre d’un avantage économique particulier, parce qu’ils n’avaient pas fourni de preuve à l’appui de leur prétention voulantque la manière dont les terres à bois avaient été gérées leur avait procuré un avantage économique particulier dont n’auraient pu jouird’autres personnes qui utiliseraient le bien de la même manière. [25] La situation de Fundy s’apparente davantage à celle de la Gagetown Lumber Company.
Fundy tirait clairementun avantage de la carrière Dexter, puisqu’elle possédait des installations à proximité qui permettaient d’exploiter le bien à profit, soitcomme source de granulat non transformé, soit dans la conversion du granulat en produits à valeur ajoutée, non seulement pour sesactivités de construction, mais aussi pour la vente à des tiers. Un autre avantage découlait de l’emplacement de la carrière Dexter, soit lefait qu’il était attenant à l’autoroute principale, ce qui écartait des problèmes tels que les restrictions en matière de poids et réduisait lesfrais de transport.
La source de granulat dans les autres carrières de Fundy s’épuisait, ce qui augmentait la valeur de ce bien pourl’entreprise. Il découle implicitement de ses motifs que le juge du procès a considéré que, en raison de ces avantages, le bien-fonds avaitune plus grande valeur pour Fundy qu’il n’aurait eue pour une personne qui ne disposait pas d’installations comparables. Je suis dumême avis. 3. Quantification de la perte commerciale [26] Chaque
partie a appelé un témoin expert, qui a déposé un rapport et témoigné au sujet de la perte commercialesubie par Fundy par suite de l’expropriation de la carrière Dexter. La Province a appelé Suzanne Loomer, du cabinet comptable KPMG,qui a été déclarée experte en évaluation d’entreprises et en évaluation quantitative des pertes.
Fundy a retenu les services de PaulBradley, du cabinet comptable Deloitte, qui a été déclaré expert en évaluation d’entreprises ayant une expertise dans l’évaluation despertes consécutives à une expropriation. [27] La Province soutient que Fundy n’a pas établi qu’elle a subi une perte quelconque sous ce chef et que la preuve, notamment celle présentée par Mme Loomer, démontre que Fundy n’a subi aucune perte commerciale. [28] M. Bradley a conclu que, en raison de l’expropriation, Fundy a perdu deux flux de profits associés au dépôt degranulat de la carrière Dexter.
Le premier flux de profits est lié au revenu que pouvait générer la vente de gravier tout-venant nontransformé. En outre, l’exploitation de son entreprise de transformation permettait à Fundy de gagner un deuxième flux de profits à partirde la transformation et de la vente de produits de granulat à valeur ajoutée, en sus du profit que générerait la vente du gravier tout-venant. Le rapport de M. Bradley porte surtout sur ce deuxième flux de profits. Il l’explique ainsi dans son rapport : [TRADUCTION] 23.
En conséquence de l’appropriation des terres, elle a perdu le flux de rentrées lié aux ventes de granulat à des clients tiers et auxventes internes destinées à l’exécution de contrats de construction liés à la carrière Dexter. Par conséquent, nous avons quantifié la pertecommerciale de [Fundy] comme équivalant au montant des profits découlant de la transformation et de la vente de produits de granulatque [Fundy] aurait touchés n’eût été l’appropriation. 24. De façon générale, la perte de profits a été calculée ainsi :
Volume annuel extrait de la carrière Dexter x prix de vente des (produits de granulat) moins (coûts directs)[.] [29] M. Bradley a établi que, au cours des cinq années précédant l’expropriation, Fundy a vendu, en moyenne, 40 000 tonnes de granulat par année à partir de toutes ses carrières, et que seulement 1 191 tonnes au total provenaient de la carrière Dexter. Il a également établi que la moyenne annuelle pour 2008 et 2009 était de 55 000 tonnes. Il comprenait que les autres carrières de Fundy étaient presque épuisées, de sorte que des volumes plus importants seraient extraits de la carrière Dexter.
Dans son rapport, il a expliqué que si Fundy voulait optimiser ses profits, elle n’utiliserait que le granulat provenant de la carrière Dexter : [TRADUCTION] 49. Étant donné que la carrière Dexter est la source de matériau la plus rapprochée (0,7 kilomètre) de l’usine de transformation de [Fundy], le rendement économique de [Fundy] serait optimisé par l’approvisionnement en granulat à partir de la carrière Dexter pour répondre à ses besoins en matière de transformation pour des projets dans le marché de Bethel.
Autrement dit, si [Fundy] avait pour stratégie de réaliser le meilleur rendement possible sur ses activités de transformation, elle utiliserait la carrière Dexter pour tous les projets dans la région de Bethel, afin de réduire au minimum les frais de transport et autres coûts variables et tirer parti des avantages de la proximité du matériau de l’usine et du lieu de stérage. [30] Il a conclu que l’extraction de 55 000 tonnes par année reflétait le mieux le montant de la perte découlant de l’expropriation.
Il a affirmé que, s’il basait le montant des ventes futures sur les volumes effectivement extraits de la carrière Dexter dans les cinq années précédant l’expropriation, cette méthode pénaliserait Fundy pour sa stratégie de n’utiliser le granulat provenant de la carrière Dexter que lorsque c’était nécessaire et la priverait de la possibilité de transformer et de vendre son granulat de qualité supérieure. [31] La différence fondamentale entre la preuve présentée par M. Bradley et celle présentée par M me Loomer est leur méthode de calcul de la perte. Selon la méthode adoptée par M.
Bradley, un taux d’actualisation était utilisé pour calculer la valeur actualisée du flux de profits jusqu’à l’épuisement des dépôts de la carrière Dexter, la date d’actualisation choisie étant la date de l’expropriation, soit le 20 octobre 2009. M me Loomer a utilisé la méthode rétrospective, qui utilise des données générées après l’expropriation. Elle a choisi le 31 décembre 2018 comme date d’évaluation et a examiné les renseignements financiers sur une période de huit ans suivant l’expropriation.
Elle a conclu que, puisque Fundy avait accès à du granulat provenant d’autres carrières, elle n’avait subi aucune perte par suite de l’expropriation. [32] Bien que le juge du procès ait conclu qu’il était acceptable en droit d’utiliser la méthode rétrospective adoptée par M me Loomer, il a choisi de lui attribuer peu de poids. Il s’est expliqué ainsi : [TRADUCTION] Je suis convaincu que le droit permet effectivement la méthode adoptée par M me Loomer. Cependant, en l’espèce, j’y accorderais peu de poids étant donné que, comme l’a indiqué M.
Bradley dans son témoignage, l’information obtenue a posteriori ne fournit pas une comparaison exacte puisqu’elle portait sur des activités de Fundy faisant appel à du matériau provenant d’autres carrières qui n’était pas de la même qualité que le matériau trouvé dans la carrière Dexter et qui n’aurait pas, par conséquent, généré les deux flux de rentrées que la carrière Dexter offrait à Fundy. [par. 139] [33] Le juge du procès a constaté des lacunes dans la preuve présentée par M me Loomer, ce qui minait la fiabilité de son évaluation.
Dans son évaluation, celle-ci présumait que la qualité du granulat était la même dans toutes les carrières de Fundy; le granulat provenant de la carrière Dexter pouvait donc être remplacé par du granulat provenant d’autres carrières. L’évaluation présentait en outre une erreur de fait, M me Loomer y ayant confondu la carrière Dexter [ Dexter Pit ] avec un bien qui n’avait aucun rapport avec celle-ci, soit un bien connu sous le nom de Dexter Quarry , ce qui l’a amenée à affirmer à tort que Fundy avait utilisé davantage de granulat de la carrière Dexter après l’expropriation qu’avant celle-ci. [34] M.
Bradley a évalué la perte commerciale de Fundy à 1 120 000 $. Dans ses motifs, le juge du procès a fait une analyse détaillée des différents éléments et des différentes étapes du calcul effectué par M. Bradley. Bien que le juge ait préféré la preuve présentée par M. Bradley et ait quantifié la perte subie par Fundy essentiellement selon la méthode utilisée par M. Bradley, il a rajusté le montant et est arrivé à la somme de 345 000 $ comme indemnité équitable payable à Fundy au
titre de la perte commerciale particulière. Il a rejeté le taux d’épuisement de 55 000 tonnes par année adopté par M. Bradley. Bien qu’il ait admis que Fundy ne devait pas être pénalisée pour sa stratégie commerciale légitime de n’utiliser le granulat provenant de la carrière Dexter que lorsque c’était nécessaire, il a conclu qu’il fallait accorder un certain poids au volume de granulat extrait dans le passé et a choisi le chiffre de 25 000 tonnes par année comme étant plus réaliste, ce qui a réduit la perte à 509 707 $. Il a ensuite réduit le montant de 160 000 $, pour
éviter un double recouvrement, puisqu’il a conclu que le calcul effectué par M. Bradley incluait le profit généré par la vente de granulat non transformé, qui avait déjà été pris en compte dans le calcul de la valeur marchande du bien-fonds.
Il a également réduit le volume total de granulat pouvant être extrait pour correspondre au montant que la cour avait fixé pour établir la valeur marchande du bien-fonds, ce qui réduisait encore le montant de la perte. [35] La Province soutient que le potentiel de profit avait déjà été pris en compte dans l’analyse de la valeur marchande effectuée par James McDonald, un expert en évaluation de biens, sur qui le juge du procès s’est appuyé pour établir la valeur marchande du bien-fonds. Je ne souscris pas à sa prétention. Bien que M.
McDonald ait utilisé une méthode fondée sur le revenu, son rapport ne quantifie que la valeur du granulat même non transformé « retiré de la réserve », alors que le juge du procès a quantifié la perte du deuxième flux de rentrées potentiel que pouvaient générer la transformation et la vente de produits de granulat, c’est-à-dire les produits à valeur ajoutée.
Cette perte n’est pas reflétée dans l’évaluation de la valeur marchande; elle est toutefois reflétée dans les dommages-intérêts pour perte d’un avantage économique particulier. [36] Comme je l’ai indiqué, Fundy réclamait des dommages-intérêts pour la perte d’un avantage économique particulier, en vertu de l’al. 38(1)
d) de la Loi . Le juge a adjugé 345 000 $ au
titre de la perte économique particulière. Dans son mémoire, la Province affirme que la somme de 345 000 $ se voulait une évaluation des « dommages attribuables au trouble de jouissance », qui sont visés à l’al. 38(1)
b) et traités aux art. 44 et 45 de la Loi , étant donné que M. Bradley décrit la perte comme [TRADUCTION] « une perte commerciale » ou [TRADUCTION] « une perte liée à la perturbation des affaires », et que le juge a donc commis une erreur de droit en retenant le témoignage de M. Bradley et en s’appuyant sur celui-ci pour évaluer la perte d’un avantage économique particulier.
La Province n’a pas soulevé cet argument dans ses moyens d’appel ni dans ses observations orales devant nous; je voudrais toutefois affirmer qu’il est évident que le juge du procès avait l’intention d’indemniser Fundy entièrement pour la perte commerciale qu’elle a subie par suite de l’expropriation de la carrière Dexter. Il a bien formulé la question lorsqu’il a affirmé que Fundy réclamait [TRADUCTION] « la somme de 1 120 000 $ à
titre de perte commerciale financière particulière découlant de l’effet de la perte de la carrière Dexter sur ses activités commerciales, y compris la perte de profits liés à la vente de granulat et la perte de profits liés à la transformation et à la vente de granulat à des tiers » (par. 108).
Il découle implicitement de ses motifs de jugement que le juge du procès était convaincu que Fundy tirait un avantage économique particulier de la proximité de la carrière Dexter de son usine de fabrication, et que c’est la perte de cet avantage – qui, à son avis, n’était pas reflétée dans la valeur marchande du bien-fonds – qu’il a évaluée à 345 000 $. Comme il l’a indiqué, [TRADUCTION] « [e]n contre-interrogatoire, M.
Bradley a témoigné que l’objectif de son rapport était d’établir le montant d’argent qui serait nécessaire, en dollars de 2009, pour remettre Fundy dans la situation où elle serait si l’expropriation n’avait jamais eu lieu. En d’autres termes, n’eût été l’expropriation, quelle serait la perte de la valeur de l’entreprise » (par. 126). Bien que M. Bradley parle de [TRADUCTION] « perte liée à la perturbation des affaires » et de « perte commerciale », il ne s’ensuit pas que le juge a commis une erreur en se fondant sur son témoignage pour établir le montant à adjuger au
titre de la perte économique particulière afin d’indemniser Fundy pour la perte de son avantage économique particulier. [37] La Province prétend que le juge du procès a confondu sa conclusion concernant [TRADUCTION] « l’usage historique » de la carrière Dexter et la question de [TRADUCTION] « l’usage actuel ». Je ne retiens pas cet argument. L’usage historique du bien et son usage à l’époque de l’expropriation étaient le même usage. Le bien avait été utilisé comme gravière dans le passé, et cet usage a continué. Cette carrière faisait
partie de l’entreprise en exploitation de Fundy. Le fait que Fundy n’ait pas utilisé une très grande quantité du granulat provenant de la carrière Dexter pendant la période de cinq ans précédant l’expropriation était une décision de gestion. On gérait les stocks, mais Fundy était disposée à utiliser ce granulat dans son entreprise lorsqu’un projet exigeait un granulat de qualité supérieure, et elle était en mesure de le faire, ou, comme le directeur des opérations de Fundy l’a dit dans son témoignage, si une autre source n’était plus rentable. Ceci n’a pas changé l’usage actuel