2015 QCCQ 9805, 2015 QCCQ 9805
Opinion
R. c. Jacobs 2015 QCCQ 9805 COUR DU QUÉBEC CANADA PROVINCE DE QUÉBEC DISTRICT DE LONGUEUIL « Chambre criminelle et pénale » N° : 505-01-105979-120 DATE : 16 octobre 2015 ______________________________________________________________________ SOUS LA PRÉSIDENCE DE MONSIEUR LE JUGE PIERRE BÉLISLE, J.C.Q. ______________________________________________________________________ SA MAJESTÉ LA REINE Intimée-poursuivante c. MEGAN EMILY JACOBS Requérante-accusée ______________________________________________________________________ JUGEMENT SUR REQUÊTE EN EXCLUSION DE LA PREUVE (Art. 8, 9, et paragr. 24(2) de la Charte ) *Une traduction non officielle en langue anglaise est jointe en
annexe ______________________________________________________________________ 1. INTRODUCTION [ 1 ] Mme Megan Emily Jacobs ( requérante-accusé
e) subit actuellement son procès sous des accusations de conduite avec une capacité affaiblie par l’effet de l’alcool et d’alcoolémie excessive. [ 2 ] À l’ouverture de son procès, la défense présente une requête en exclusion de la preuve au motif que l’arrestation de l’accusée était illégale et qu’elle a été victime d’une détention arbitraire et d’une fouille abusive. En conséquence, les éléments de preuve obtenus devraient être exclus en vertu du paragr. 24(2) de la Charte . [ 3 ] Les agents Nathan White et Larry Beaton, peacekeepers au service de la police de Kahnawake, ont été entendus en preuve principale.
La requérante n’a pas témoigné dans le cadre du voir-dire. [ 4 ] Il est convenu que la preuve sur voir-dire sera versée au fond. 2. CONTEXTE FACTUEL [ 5 ] Vers 4 h 00, le 28 janvier 2012, l’agent White, en patrouille sur la route 132, aperçoit une Jeep blanche avec un toit noir frapper le terre-plein central du côté conducteur. Une explosion de neige s’ensuit. Il doit poursuivre sa route jusqu’à la deuxième intersection pour ensuite faire demi-tour afin de localiser le véhicule. Il perd le véhicule de vue.
À ce moment-là, il ne sait pas qui conduit le véhicule impliqué. [ 6 ] Sur les ondes radio, l’agent Beaton l’informe que Monsieur Jacobs possède un véhicule similaire. Il lui suggère de se rendre à sa résidence. [ 7 ] En arrivant dans le stationnement chez M. Jacobs, l’agent White voit la requérante sortir par le côté conducteur d’un véhicule similaire à celui observé plus tôt. Il range alors le véhicule de patrouille derrière celui de la requérante. [ 8 ] L’agent White désire vérifier la sobriété de la requérante. Il l’informe de ses observations.
Il exige la remise des documents relatifs à la conduite automobile. La requérante a spontanément répliqué qu’elle avait conduit le véhicule, mais ne pas avoir heurté le
terre-plein. [9] Puis, l’agent White constate certains symptômes d’affaiblissement reliés à l’alcool comme l’odeur d’alcool se dégageant de sonhaleine; l’instabilité sur ses pieds (unsteady on her feet); son équilibre n’était pas celui d’une personne sobre, précise-t-il (balance notlike a sober person). [10] À 4 h 15, l’agent White procède à l’arrestation de la requérante. Il inspecte ensuite le véhicule et ne remarque aucun dommage,sauf de la neige sur la calandre. [11] Pour sa part, le constable Beaton relate avoir informé sur les ondes l’agent White que M.
Jacobs possédait une Jeep blanche avecun toit noir et lui avoir suggéré de se rendre à sa résidence. 3. POSITION DES PARTIES [12] La défense soutient que l’interpellation de la requérante sur une propriété privée était illégale puisqu’elle ne faisait pas l’objetd’une poursuite policière lorsqu’elle a garé son véhicule dans son entrée privée. De plus, l’intervention policière n’était fondée que surune intuition et non sur un motif raisonnable et probable qu’une infraction criminelle avait été commise.
L’agent White aurait doncoutrepassé l’invitation implicite à pénétrer sur un terrain privé puisqu’il cherchait à recueillir des éléments de preuve contre larequérante. [13] La poursuite plaide que l’arrestation de la requérante était légale puisque le véhicule impliqué faisait l’objet d’une prise en chassecontinue même si l’agent White l’avait perdu de vue. 4. ANALYSE ET DISCUSSION [14] La défense soutient que l’agent White n’agissait pas en vertu du Code de la sécurité routière puisque le véhicule de la requérantene se trouvait pas sur un chemin public au moment de son intervention.
De plus, l’intrusion policière sur l’entrée privée constituait unefouille en violation de l’article 8 de la Charte. [15] L’argumentaire de la défense repose en grande
partie sur une décision, fort étoffée, du juge Parent de la Cour du Québec - R. c.Briand, (QC CQ) -, qui conclut que l’intrusion des agents de la paix sur un terrain privé dans le but de demander laremise pour examen des documents relatifs à la conduite automobile constitue une fouille abusive au sens de l’article 8 de la Charte(paragr. 132). La preuve ainsi obtenue a ensuite été exclue en vertu de son paragr. 24(2). [16] La défense se base également sur un jugement de la Cour provinciale du Nouveau-Brunswick qui abonde dans le même sens(R. c. Leblanc, 2009 NBCP 2). [17] Dans R. c.
Laramée, 2007 QCCS 663, le juge Brunton de la Cour supérieure du Québec ne peut toutefois en arriver aux mêmesconclusions. Il préfère l’opinion exprimée par trois cours d’appel qui, dans des circonstances semblables, ont statué que les agissementsdes policiers ne constituaient pas une fouille au sens de l’article 8 de la Charte (paragr. 15). Il se réfère aux arrêts R. c. Petri, 171C .C .C . (3d) 553 (C.A. Man.), R. c. LeClaire, 2005 NSCA 165 , 208 C.C.C. (3d) 559 (C.A. N-É.) permission d’en appelerrefusée [2006] 1 R.C.S. xi et R. c. Lotozky, (2006), 210 CCC (3d) 509 (C.A.
ONT.), (ON CA), où la Cour d’appelde l’Ontario détermine que le fait pour un policier de mener une enquête relative à un véhicule à moteur dans une entrée (driveway)n’excède pas les limites de l’invitation implicite si le but de l’agent de la paix est légitime. Aux paragr. 18 et 35, le juge Rosenbergs’exprime ainsi : [18] At the other end of the spectrum, despite the breadth of the notion of search and seizure, merely walking on to a driveway, evenwith an intent to conduct an investigation involving the owner, does not, in my view, constitute a sufficient intrusion to be considered asearch.
There must be something more, as in the perimeter search cases, peering in windows of the home and trying to detect odoursfrom within. Put another way, not every trespass on to private property by police can constitute a search.
I would not place a possibletrespass on to a driveway open to public view in the category of a search or seizure. [35] The fact that the police officer intends to pursue an investigation on the driveway, at least if the investigation relates to a motorvehicle, does not in my view exceed the bounds of the implied invitation, provided that the officer has a legitimate basis for entering onthe driveway.
Interpreting the common law in this way is, in my view, consistent with the broader principle identified by Sharpe J.A. thatlicences may arise by implication from the nature of the use to which the owner puts the property. As I have said, the use to which thisproperty is put is to park motor vehicles and it is an area of the property that is open to public view. [Soulignements ajoutés] [18] Dans Laramée, un citoyen avait contacté les policiers pour se plaindre de la conduite erratique d’un conducteur. Il leur a fourni lenuméro de la plaque d’immatriculation du véhicule.
Soupçonnant que le conducteur conduisait en état d’ébriété, les agents de la paix sesont rendus à l’adresse du propriétaire du véhicule. À leur arrivée, ils ont rangé le véhicule de patrouille derrière le véhicule suspect quiétait stationné dans l’entrée de la résidence. Voyant que l’accusé avait de la difficulté à ouvrir la porte de sa résidence, le policier lui ademandé s’il était le conducteur du véhicule. Il a répondu affirmativement. L’agent de la paix a ensuite observé plusieurs signesd’ébriété qui l’ont convaincu de procéder à son arrestation.
Le juge Brunton est d’opinion que « les policiers se trouvaient sur lapropriété de l’appelant pour des raisons légitimes – ils avaient des motifs de soupçonner que le conducteur d’un véhicule s’y trouvantavait conduit avec les facultés affaiblies » (paragr. 18). [19] Dans R. c. Pelland[1], 2015 QCCS 3477, le juge Boucher de la Cour supérieure du Québec, est d’avis que, « selon la
jurisprudence, le simple fait pour un policier de mettre les pieds dans une entrée de stationnement privée pour appréhender unautomobiliste ne constitue pas une intrusion à l’égard d’une expectative de vie privée au sens de l’article 8 de la Charte » (paragr. 21). [20] S’appuyant sur les motifs formulés dans Lotozky, le juge Cournoyer de la Cour supérieure du Québec, dans R. c. Daoust, 2014QCCS 4876, estime que « le seul fait de marcher sur le terrain de l’appelant n’est pas une fouille ou une perquisition » (paragr. 50).
Ilajoute que « la présence des policiers dans l'entrée de l'appelant peut aussi être justifiée par la théorie de l'« invitation à frapper à la porte » que les citoyens sont réputés faire aux membres du public, y compris les policiers[2]» (paragr. 52). [Soulignement ajouté] [21] Sur cette question, le juge Cournoyer, au paragr. 53, reprend les propos tenus par le juge Rosenberg dans Lotozky : 32 In my view, there is a fundamental difference between the police conduct of knocking on the door of a dwelling house toinvestigate the occupants discussed in Evans and merely entering on to a driveway.
The latter does not involve an investigation ofpersons in their own home. A driveway is not a dwelling house; it is a place where people drive and park their vehicles. It is an open areathat is visible to the public. The scope of the implied invitation must be analyzed in that context. [Soulignement dans le texte] [22] Le juge Cournoyer souligne que « [d]ans l'arrêt Tessling (référence omise), le juge Binnie écrit qu'il n'y a pas d'attenteraisonnable de vie privée lorsqu'un citoyen expose celle-ci au public ou à une
partie du public » (paragr. 57). Or, la requérante se trouvaitdans une entrée privée à la vue du public. [23] Dans R. c. Hallé, 2010 QCCA 2229, les agents de la paix ont pénétré sur la propriété de l’accusé afin d’examiner son véhiculelequel était un modèle similaire à celui qui venait d’échapper à une poursuite policière pour excès de vitesse.
La Cour d’appel du Québec statue que « [m]ême si l'appelant n'a pas été l'objet d'une véritable prise en chasse[3], rien n'empêchait les agents d'enquêter sur lesinfractions qu'ils venaient tout juste de constater » (paragr. 17). [24] La Cour d’appel considère qu’il n’y a pas eu atteinte illégale au droit de propriété de l’appelant et encore moins une atteinte à saliberté (paragr. 24). En l’occurrence, il y avait suffisamment d’indices sérieux qui autorisaient les agents à intervenir sur la propriété del’appelant afin de mener leur enquête de manière raisonnable (paragr. 28).
Dans ces circonstances, les agents pouvaient présumer avoir ledroit de se rendre sur le terrain, de frapper à la porte de la résidence et de demander des informations pour identifier le conducteur duvéhicule (paragr. 29) qui circulait à 178 km/h dans une zone de 100 km/h, à 4 h 5 (paragr. 6). [25] Dans R. c.
Ladouceur, (SCC), [1990] 1 R.C.S. 1257, p. 1287, le juge Cory de la Cour suprême spécifie que lespoliciers ne peuvent interpeller des personnes que pour des motifs fondés sur la loi, en l’espèce des motifs relatifs à la conduite d’uneautomobile comme la vérification du permis de conduire, des assurances et de la sobriété du conducteur ainsi que de l’état mécanique duvéhicule. Cet énoncé a ensuite été repris dans R. c. Orbanski; Elias, 2005 SCC 37 , [2005] 2 R.C.S. 3, paragr. 41. [26] Dans R. c.
Tsakalis, 2015 QCCS 2510, la juge Mandeville de la Cour supérieure du Québec, estime qu’ « un policier qui chercheà vérifier l’aptitude à conduire un véhicule agit en fonction de ses pouvoirs prévus au Code de la sécurité routière » (paragr. 20). [27] L’agent White a stationné le véhicule de patrouille derrière celui de la requérante dans son entrée privée. Il se trouvait à cetendroit pour un motif précis relié à la conduite automobile, soit la vérification de la sobriété de la conductrice à la suite d’une manœuvredangereuse survenue sur la route 132, à 4 h 00.
L’intervention policière s’est produite à l’occasion de l’exercice d’un devoir conféré parla
Loi sur la police, le Code de la sécurité routière et la Common Law afin de protéger le public contre les dangers de l’alcool au volant.Ses agissements ne constituaient pas une fouille au sens de l’article 8 de la Charte. [28] L’agent White tentait d’intercepter un véhicule après l’avoir perdu de vue. L’indice fourni par le constable Beaton l’a mené à larésidence de M. Jacobs où un véhicule de même marque et couleur s’y trouvait. La théorie de l’invitation implicite justifiait sa présencesur les lieux parce que son intervention était légitime dès le départ.
Il était en droit de pénétrer sur un terrain privé et d’interpeller laconductrice qui sortait de son véhicule stationné dans une allée à la vue du public afin de vérifier sa sobriété. [29] Au surplus, il importe de noter que la conduite automobile ne constitue pas un droit, mais un privilège accordé par l’État soumisà la délivrance d’un permis et à une réglementation sévère. [30] Comme l’indique la Cour d’appel du Québec dans R. c. Tétard, 2010 QCCA 2235, « la nécessité d’empêcher la destructiond’une preuve était légitime (référence omise) ».
« L’arrestation de l’appelant était nécessaire afin de procéder avec célérité à unalcootest, éviter l’absorption supplémentaire d’alcool et empêcher qu’[elle] reprenne le volant » (paragr. 34). « [l]a préservation de lapreuve exigeait une intervention immédiate » (paragr. 35). Ces conclusions de la Cour d’appel s’appliquent au cas en l’espèce. [31] Cela étant, il n’est pas nécessaire d’aborder la question de la prise en chasse. 5.
CONCLUSION [32] En somme, je considère que l’interpellation, l’arrestation et la détention de la requérante ont été effectuées légalement pour unmotif précis relié à la conduite automobile (sobriété). [33] Par conséquent, je conclus que la requérante n’a pas démontré par prépondérance que ses droits garantis par les articles 8 et 9 dela Charte ont été enfreints. Cela étant, il n’y a pas lieu de déterminer si la preuve obtenue devrait être admise en application du paragr.24(2).
POUR CES MOTIFS, LA COUR : [ 34 ] REJETTE la requête en exclusion de la preuve. __________________________________ PIERRE BÉLISLE, J.C.Q. Me Émilie Dion Procureure aux poursuites criminelles et pénales Pour l’intimée-poursuivante Me Frank Pappas Me Olivier Roy Pour la requérante-accusée Date d’audience : 26 juin 2015 JB 3943 Unofficial translation
Annexe R. c. Jacobs 2015 QCCQ 9805 COURT OF QUÉBEC CANADA PROVINCE OF QUÉBEC DISTRICT OF LONGUEUIL Criminal and Penal Division No. 505-01-105979-120 DATE: October 16, 2015 ______________________________________________________________________ PRESENT: THE HONOURABLE PIERRE BÉLISLE J.C.Q. ______________________________________________________________________ HER MAJESTY THE QUEEN Respondent-prosecutor v. MEGAN EMILY JACOBS Petitioner-accused ______________________________________________________________________ JUDGMENT ON A MOTION FOR EXCLUSION OF THE EVIDENCE (Sections 8, 9 and subsection 24(2) of the Charter ) ______________________________________________________________________
1. INTRODUCTION [1] Megan Emily Jacobs (petitioner-accused) is presently on trial for the offences of driving while her ability to operate a vehiclewas impaired and driving with a blood alcohol level exceeding the legal limit. [2] At the outset of the trial, the defence submitted a motion for exclusion of the evidence on the ground that the accused’s arrestwas illegal and that she was subjected to arbitrary detention and unreasonable search.
As a result, the evidence obtained should beexcluded under subsection 24(2) of the Charter. [3] Officers Nathan White and Larry Beaton, Peacekeepers with the Kahnawake police force, were heard in chief evidence. Thepetitioner did not testify at the voir dire. [4] It was agreed to file the voir dire evidence in the record. 2. FACTUAL CONTEXT [5] At around 4:00 a.m. on January 28, 2012, Officer White, on patrol on Route 132, saw a white Jeep with a black top hit thecentral median on the driver’s side. Following that, there was an explosion of snow.
The officer had to continue driving until he came tothe second intersection, then he turned around to locate the vehicle. He lost sight of it. At that time, he did not know who was driving thevehicle. [6] Over the radio, Officer Beaton informed him that Mr. Jacobs had a similar vehicle. He suggested that he go to his residence. [7] On arriving in the driveway at Mr. Jacobs’, Officer White saw the petitioner get out on the driver’s side of a vehicle similar tothe one seen earlier. He then parked the patrol vehicle behind the petitioner. [8] Officer White wanted to check the petitioner’s sobriety.
He told her about his observations. He asked her to hand over herdriving documents. The petitioner spontaneously replied that she had driven the vehicle, but did not hit the median. [9] Officer White then noted certain signs of impairment related to alcohol, such as the smell of alcohol on her breath, unsteadinesson her feet, and that her balance was not like a sober person. [10] At 4:15 a.m., Officer White arrested the petitioner. He then inspected the vehicle and did not note any damage, except for snowon the radiator grill. [11] Constable Beaton stated that he informed Officer White over the radio that Mr.
Jacobs had a white Jeep with a black top, andsuggested that he go to Mr. Jacobs’ residence. 3. POSITIONS OF THE PARTIES [12] The defence contends that it was illegal to stop the petitioner on private property because she was not being pursued by thepolice when she parked her vehicle in her private driveway. In addition, the police intervention was based solely on intuition and not on areasonable and probable ground that a criminal offense had been committed.
Therefore, Officer White allegedly overstepped the impliedinvitation to enter a private property because he was seeking to gather evidence against the petitioner. [13] The prosecution argues that the petitioner’s arrest was legal because Officer White was following the vehicle in question in hotpursuit, although he had lost sight of it. 4. ANALYSIS AND DISCUSSION [14] The defence contends that Officer White was not acting under the Highway Safety Code, as the petitioner’s vehicle was not on apublic road at the time of his intervention.
In addition, the police intrusion in a private driveway constituted a search, in violation ofsection 8 of the Charter. [15] The defence’s argument rests in a large part on a well-reasoned decision of the Court of Québec, by Parent J.—R. c. Briand, (QC CQ)—which concluded that the intrusion of peace officers on private property to ask that driving documents beproduced for examination was an unreasonable search within the meaning of
section 8 of the Charter (para. 132). The evidence thusobtained was subsequently excluded under para. 24(2) thereof. [16] The defence also based their contentions on a judgment of the Provincial Court of New Brunswick that expresses the same view(R. v. Jean-Marie LeBlanc, 2009 NBPC 2). [17] However, in R. c. Laramée, 2007 QCCS 663, Brunton J. of the Superior Court of Québec does not come to the same conclusions.He supported the opinion expressed by three courts of appeal, who in similar circumstances held that the officers’ actions did notconstitute a search within the meaning of
section 8 of the Charter (para. 15). He referred to R. v. Petri, 2003 MBCA 1 , 171
C.C.C. (3d) 553 (C.A. Man.); R. v. LeClaire, 2005 NSCA 165 , 208 C.C.C. (3d) 559 (NS CA), leave to appeal denied [2006] 1S.C.R. xi; and R. v. Lotozky, (2006), 210 C.C.C. (3d) 509 (ON CA), (ON CA), in which the Court of Appeal ofOntario found that a police officer who conducts an investigation related to a motor vehicle in a driveway does not exceed the bounds ofthe implied invitation, provided the officer has a legitimate basis for doing so.
Rosenberg J. said the following in paragraphs 18 and 35: [18] At the other end of the spectrum, despite the breadth of the notion of search and seizure, merely walking on to a driveway, evenwith an intent to conduct an investigation involving the owner, does not, in my view, constitute a sufficient intrusion to be considered asearch. There must be something more, as in the perimeter search cases, peering in windows of the home and trying to detect odoursfrom within. Put another way, not every trespass on to private property by police can constitute a search.
I would not place a possibletrespass on to a driveway open to public view in the category of a search or seizure. [35] The fact that the police officer intends to pursue an investigation on the driveway, at least if the investigation relates to a motorvehicle, does not in my view exceed the bounds of the implied invitation, provided that the officer has a legitimate basis for entering onthe driveway.
Interpreting the common law in this way is, in my view, consistent with the broader principle identified by Sharpe J.A. thatlicences may arise by implication from the nature of the use to which the owner puts the property. As I have said, the use to which thisproperty is put is to park motor vehicles and it is an area of the property that is open to public view. [Emphasis added.] [18] In Laramée, a citizen called the police to complain about an individual’s erratic driving. The citizen provided the licence platenumber of the vehicle.
Suspecting that the driver was intoxicated, the peace officers went to the address of the vehicle’s owner. Whenthey arrived, they parked the patrol vehicle behind the suspect vehicle parked in the driveway of the residence. As the officer saw thatthe accused had trouble opening the door of the residence, he asked if he was the driver of the vehicle. He answered in the affirmative.The peace officer then observed a number of signs of intoxication that convinced him to arrest the accused.
Brunton J. was of the opinionthat [TRANSLATION] “the officers were on the appellant’s property for legitimate reasons— they had grounds to suspect that thedriver of a vehicle on the property had been driving while impaired” (para. 18). [19] In R. c. Pelland1 2015 QCCS 3477, Boucher J. of the Superior Court of Québec was of the opinion that [TRANSLATION]“according to jurisprudence, the simple fact of a police officer setting foot in a private driveway to apprehend a motorist does notconstitute an intrusion with respect to the expectation of privacy within the meaning of
section 8 of the Charter” (para. 21). [20] Based on the grounds stated in Lotozky, Cournoyer J. of the Superior Court of Québec, in R. c. Daoust, 2014 QCCS 4876, foundthat [TRANSLATION] “the simple fact of setting foot on the appellant’s property was not a search or a seizure” (para. 50).
He addedthat [TRANSLATION] “the officers’ presence in the appellant’s driveway could also be justified by the implied ‘invitation to knock at the door’ that individuals are deemed to extend to members of the public, including police”2 (para. 52). [Emphasis added.] [21] As regards that issue, Cournoyer J., in para. 53, reiterated the remarks made by Rosenberg J. in Lotozky: 32 In my view, there is a fundamental difference between the police conduct of knocking on the door of a dwelling house toinvestigate the occupants discussed in Evans and merely entering on to a driveway.
The latter does not involve an investigation ofpersons in their own home. A driveway is not a dwelling house; it is a place where people drive and park their vehicles. It is an open areathat is visible to the public. The scope of the implied invitation must be analyzed in that context. [Emphasis in the text.] [22] Cournoyer J. emphasized that [TRANSLATION] “in Tessling (reference omitted), Binnie J. wrote that there is no reasonableexpectation of privacy in what a citizen exposes to the public or to a
section of the public” (para. 57). In the case at bar, the petitionerwas in a private driveway, visible to the public. [23] In R. c. Hallé, 2010 QCCA 2229, the peace officers entered the property of the accused to inspect his vehicle, which was of asimilar make as a vehicle that had just fled during a police chase for speeding.
The Court of Appeal of Québec ruled that [TRANSLATION] “[a]lthough the appellant was not the subject of an actual hot pursuit,3 nothing prevented the officers frominvestigating the offences they had just witnessed” (para. 17). [24] The Court of Appeal found that there was no unlawful interference with the appellant’s property rights, and even less interferencewith his liberty (para. 24). In the case at bar, there were enough serious signs to authorize the police officers to enter the appellant’sproperty to conduct their investigation in a reasonable manner (para. 28).
In the circumstances, the officers could presume that they hadthe right to enter the property, knock on the door of the residence, and request information to identify the driver of the vehicle (para. 29)that had been travelling at 178 km/h in a 100 km/h zone at 4:05 a.m. (para. 6). [25] In R. v. Ladouceur, (SCC), [1990] 1 S.C.R. 1257, at 1287, Cory J. of the Supreme Court pointed out thatofficers can stop persons only for legal reasons—in this case reasons related to driving a car such as checking the driver’s licence andinsurance, the sobriety of the driver and the mechanical fitness of the vehicle.
That statement was subsequently reiterated in R. v.Orbanski; R. v. Elias, 2005 SCC 37 , [2005] 2 S.C.R. 3, para. 41. [26] In R. c. Tsakalis, 2015 QCCS 2510, Mandeville J. of the Superior Court of Québec, ruled that [TRANSLATION] “a policeofficer who wants to check a person’s ability to drive a vehicle is acting on the basis of the powers provided for under the HighwaySafety Code” (para. 20). [27] Officer White parked the patrol vehicle behind that of the petitioner in the private driveway.
He was at that location for a specificpurpose related to driving, namely to check the driver’s sobriety further to a dangerous manoeuvre on Highway 132 at 4:00 a.m. Thepolice intervention took place in the course of the performance of a duty conferred by the Police Act, Highway Safety Code and CommonLaw in order to protect the public from the dangers of drunk driving. His actions did not constitute a search within the meaning of
section
8 of the Charter . [28] Officer White attempted to intercept a vehicle after he lost sight of it. The information provided by Constable Beaton led him to the residence of Mr. Jacobs, where he found a vehicle of the same make and colour. The theory of implied invitation justified his presence on the premises because his intervention was legitimate at the outset.
He was entitled to enter private property and stop the driver who was getting out of her vehicle parked in a driveway visible to the public in order to check her sobriety. [29] Furthermore, it should be noted that driving is not a right, but a privilege granted by the State subject to the issuing of a licence and strict regulations. [30] As the Court of Appeal of Québec indicated in R. c.
Tétard , 2010 QCCA 2235 , [TRANSLATION] “the need to prevent the destruction of evidence was a legitimate concern. (Reference omitted.) The arrest of the appellant was necessary to promptly administer a blood alcohol test, avoid further absorption of alcohol, and prevent him from getting back behind the wheel” (para. 34). “[I]mmediate intervention was required to preserve the evidence” (para. 35). Those conclusions of the Court of Appeal apply to the present case. [31] That being so, it is not necessary to address the issue of hot pursuit. 5.
CONCLUSION [32] In sum, I find that the stopping, arrest and detention of the petitioner were done legally for a specific purpose related to driving (sobriety). [33] Consequently, I conclude that the petitioner did not demonstrate on a balance of probabilities that her rights guaranteed under sections 8 and 9 of the Charter were infringed. That said, there is no need to determine whether the evidence obtained should be admitted under para. 24(2). THEREFORE, THE COURT: [34] DISMISSES the motion to exclude the evidence. __________________________________ PIERRE BÉLISLE J.C.Q. Mtre.
Émilie Dion Criminal and Penal Prosecuting Attorney For the respondent-prosecutor Mtre. Frank Pappas Mtre. Olivier Roy For the petitioner-accused Date of hearing: June 26, 2015