2022 NBCA 50, 2022 NBCA 50
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 132-21-CA B.M. APPELLANT B.M. APPELANT - and - - et - K.R. RESPONDENT K.R. INTIMÉE B.M. v. K.R., 2022 NBCA 50 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Green The Honourable Justice Baird The Honourable Justice French B.M. c.
K.R., 2022 NBCA 50 CORAM : l’honorable juge Green l’honorable juge Baird l’honorable juge French Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: November 29, 2021 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : le 29 novembre 2021 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: 2021 NBQB 251 Décision frappée d’appel : 2021 NBBR 251 Preliminary or incidental proceedings: None Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : aucune Appeal heard: March 15, 2022 Appel entendu : le 15 mars 2022 Judgment rendered: September 15, 2022 Jugement rendu : le 15 septembre 2022
Reasons for judgment: The Honourable Justice French Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Green The Honourable Justice Baird Counsel at hearing: B.M. on his own behalf K.R. on her own behalf Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge French Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Green l’honorable juge Baird Avocats à l’audience : B.M. en son propre nom K.R. en son propre nom THE COURT The appeal is dismissed. LA COUR L’appel est rejeté. The judgment of the Court was delivered by FRENCH, J.A. I.
Introduction [ 1 ] The father of an 11-year-old child appeals the parenting and child support orders made by a judge of the Court of Queen’s Bench, Family Division following a four-day trial at which both parents were self-represented. [ 2 ] The trial judge ordered the mother have the majority of the child’s parenting time. The judge also ordered the mother have final decision-making authority on significant matters related to the child’s health, education and well-being, provided she first communicates with the father, and they use their best efforts to reach an agreement on the issue.
The child’s time with the father includes every second weekend, every Wednesday (after school) and half of all school breaks (including Christmas, March, Easter and summer). [ 3 ] The trial judge ordered the father pay child support for 2014, 2015 and part of 2016, retroactively from the mother’s application, which was filed in April 2016. The judge also ordered child support from the time of the mother’s application and prospectively, from the date of her decision.
She reduced by one third the amount of support otherwise payable under the Federal Child Support Advisory Guidelines , SOR /97-175 , during the periods of time the father was required to travel to a different community to have time with their daughter.
The total support payable from January 1, 2014 to November 1, 2021, was set at $18,398, and the judge ordered the father pay this amount in instalments of $250 per month, in addition to his prospective, ongoing child support obligation of $470 per month from December 2021 (based on income of $55,135 in 2021). [ 4 ] On appeal, the father maintains the trial judge erred by (1) misapplying “the best interests of the child test, including by underemphasizing the importance of the father’s access to the child”; (2) inappropriately using a psychiatric assessment of the father in relation to his employment as a teacher and ignoring evidence from another psychiatrist; (3) ineffectively addressing occasions when the mother withheld his access to the child over three weekends in the fall of 2020 and during March Break 2021; and
(4) giving insufficient reasons as to why she “ignored the agreement reached” between the father and mother to substitute child support (between 2012 and 2016) and she overlooked the consent agreement signed in 2016. [ 5 ] Although the father maintains that the trial judge erred “in law and in fact,” all the issues that he raises on appeal challenge the judge’s findings of fact or her assessment of the evidence. As this Court has long recognized, a trial judge’s factual findings in family matters are owed considerable deference (see C.A. v. A.A. , 2011 NBCA 109 , 381 N.B.R. (2d) 1993, at paras. 1-3 ).
I would dismiss the appeal for the reasons that follow. II. Background [ 6 ] In March 2010, when the parties’ relationship began, the mother was living in Petit-Rocher. She was a dental hygienist, working in Bathurst under contract to fill in during a maternity leave. The father was living in Saint John and working as a teacher. [ 7 ] In September 2010, they began a two-year period of cohabitation in Saint John. The mother learned she was pregnant shortly before the end of her contract in Bathurst.
She was unable to find a position as a hygienist in Saint John; however, she obtained employment as an education assistant. [ 8 ] In April 2011, the parties’ daughter was born. About September 2011, after six months of maternity leave, the mother began a new full-time position at a call centre. It required she work shifts during the day, night and weekends. Their daughter was enrolled in daycare. [ 9 ] In October 2012, the mother returned to Petit-Rocher, with the child, to live with her mother.
She began work in Bathurst as a hygienist, again under a contract to cover a maternity leave. [ 10 ] The judge heard evidence and made findings respecting the parties’ relationship and the challenges they faced during their cohabitation in Saint John. While most of that period is not relevant to the issues raised on appeal, the mother’s decision to leave with the child was contentious, and it is sufficient to say the father did not want them to leave the Saint John area. [ 11 ] The judge found that after the mother returned to Petit-Rocher the parties communications remained open and cordial.
The father travelled frequently to Petit-Rocher on weekends to visit the daughter and mother. It was not unusual for him to also travel after work, midweek, to visit. The mother’s evidence was that she did not seek child support at that time because of the travel costs incurred by the father, and because he contributed to their daughter’s daycare costs in Petit-Rocher.
On appeal, the father argued that they agreed there would be no child support payable during this period. [ 12 ] In August/September 2013, the parties attempted a resumption of cohabitation, and they signed a one-year lease for a property in the St. Andrews area. By that time, the mother’s temporary contract in Bathurst had ended, and the father accepted a position in St Andrews as the athletics director for schools in the area. The Saint John school where he had worked was closed. [ 13 ] This period of cohabitation was very brief. While the mother accepted a position as a dental hygienist in the St. Andrews/St.
Stephen area, it did not come to fruition, and, in October 2013, she accepted another temporary contract to work as a hygienist in Bathurst. The circumstances surrounding the mother’s decision to leave St. Andrews and return to Petit-Rocher were the subject of conflicting evidence at the trial. In any event, as the father had done during the previous year, he again travelled to Petit- Rocher to spend time with their daughter. This continued for approximately four or five months. He found the travelling from St.
Andrews to be even more difficult than it had been from Saint John, especially in light of the obligations of his position as athletics director. He again pressed the mother to return to the Saint John area. He also protested being financially responsible for the lease of the home in St Andrews. [ 14 ] By February 2014, the mother secured employment in Saint John under a six-month contract with the Canada Revenue Agency, at its call centre.
Initially, the mother and child stayed with the father’s mother until they were able to secure an apartment in Rothesay and a place in a local “school-based French daycare.” Since the mother worked until 7 p.m. and was unable to pick up their daughter before the daycare closed, the father travelled after work from St. Andrews to Rothesay to do so. After taking her to the mother, he would return to St. Andrews. This continued until about May 2014, when the father was able to relocate his teaching
position to Saint John, where he was responsible for five elementary schools. [ 15 ] I pause to note that, although the mother’s April 2016 application requested retroactive child support from separation in 2012, the judge ordered retroactive support from January 2014 based, in part, on her finding that the mother requested child support when she returned to Saint John. [ 16 ] For about 18 months, from May 2014 until late September 2015, both parents lived in the Saint John area and the father was not required to travel to spend time with their daughter.
After his return to Saint John, the father was able to arrange an apartment close to the mother’s residence. The father’s plan, in late 2014, was to share parenting time with the mother or to co-parent their daughter. The judge made the following comments regarding the father’s plans and the mother’s subsequent decision, in the summer of 2015, to move to the Moncton area: The mother says that plan was short-lived as the father could not afford to pay his rent. At one point he had no stable living arrangement where he could exercise his parenting time.
The mother felt the coparenting arrangement was simply not workable. She testified she resided in Rothesay for about 18 months from around May of 2014 to September of 2015 while continuing her employment with CRA after a number of renewals of the short-term contracts. By the end of the summer of 2015, the mother accepted a six-month full-time contract with CRA as a collection officer in the Moncton area. Her weekly work
schedule was between Monday to Friday including daytime hours ending no later than 4:30 PM. This was a much better match for [their daughter] ’s daycare schedule. The mother says through text messaging she advised the father of her decision to move with [their daughter] to the neighbouring community of Dieppe. The father initially alleged in his pleadings that the mother had not informed him of her plan and that she had abducted [their daughter] .
During his testimony he acknowledged he knew of her plan in either July or August. [paras. 23-24] [ 17 ] By October 2015, the mother and child had moved to a semi-detached home she purchased in Dieppe, and the child was enrolled in daycare. [ 18 ] Although the father objected to the move, he took a one-year unpaid leave of absence from his teaching position to begin looking for work in Moncton. He obtained a labour job at a large transportation company and was later moved into an office position. His income was lower than in prior years and he rented a small bachelor apartment.
Although both parents were working in Moncton, the six-month period after October 2015 was difficult, and the mother decided to file an application with the court, which she did on April 5, 2016. Summarizing their time in the Moncton area, the trial judge stated: Later, the father was moved to an office job working shifts with the same employer. He moved into a small bachelor apartment because that is all he could afford. With his schedule, he had flexible daytime availability to exercise intermittent periods of parenting time with then four-year-old [child] who was still in full-time daycare.
He says with the consent of the mother and the cooperation of the daycare staff he often picked up [their daughter] at daycare midday to take her on an outing or an activity. When it was time to report to work, he returned her to daycare. During that same time, the mother says she was once again becoming very concerned with the father’s mental health. He was inundating her with texts and emails criticizing her for moving and pressuring her to settle on a parenting agreement to his liking. The mother says the father was adamant [their daughter] should be returned to Saint John where she was born.
On many occasions when he attended at the mother’s home for the parenting time changeover, he provoked fights and arguments in the presence of the child. By the spring of 2016, the party’s parenting relationship had further deteriorated. The mother testified she [was] exhausted with the father’s unrelenting criticism of her over numerous and lengthy emails and text messages often almost entirely off topic. He was also calling her numerous times to continue his protest.
The mother says this is what led her to retain the services of a solicitor upon which she filed a Notice of Application on April 5, 2016 seeking to resolve parenting issues, decision-making responsibilities, child support and childcare costs. She also filed a Notice of Motion for interim relief on the same day.
Her concern for the father’s mental health had grown significantly and was exacerbated by the fact he did not have a stable place to live when he exercised parenting time with [their daughter] . [paras. 28-30] [ 19 ] In August 2016, the first parenting and child support orders involving the parties were made. By this time, the
father had returned to Saint John, where he obtained a teaching position in Rothesay that was to begin in September 2016. [ 20 ] An interim order respecting parenting time (dated August 22, 2016) gave primary care of the child to the mother during the academic year . The father’s parenting time included three weekends a month (the first, second and last) from Friday after school until Sunday at 7:30 p.m. and every Wednesday (after school, until 7:30 p.m.). During July and August, the father was granted the majority of parenting time, and the mother had time on alternate weekends.
All other holidays were to be shared. The father was responsible for transportation. On appeal, the father argued that the parenting time should have been at least what was ordered in this interim order. [ 21 ] On August 31, 2016, an interim consent order regarding child support was signed. The parties agreed the mother’s income was $51,000 and the father’s was $60,281. Based on their recognition that the father was incurring significant travel expenses relating to his parenting time (between Dieppe and Saint John), the parties agreed the table support payable ($520 per month) would be reduced by $170, to $350.
This was payable during the academic year, when the child was primarily in the care of the mother. No support was payable by either party from June to August. Daycare costs were to be shared on a pro rata basis. On appeal, the father maintains the trial judge did not properly consider the parties’ agreement regarding child support, as reflected in this consent order. [ 22 ] Not long after the interim orders were made and the father began teaching in Rothesay, his circumstances began to deteriorate. By January 2017, his employer requested that he be assessed out of a concern for his mental health.
The father submits on appeal that the trial judge’s consideration of the assessment that was undertaken by a psychiatrist was inappropriate, as was the judge’s reference to evidence relating to his condition and circumstances. [ 23 ] The judge did not refer in her reasons for decision to any observations or opinions from the psychological assessment; however, she did summarize the undisputed evidence of the parties respecting the father’s condition and the fact that it led to a reduction in his parenting time with their daughter, until very late in 2017 or early 2018: In his testimony, the father acknowledged that by late December of 2016 and early 2017 he began to feel overwhelmed on many fronts including at his workplace.
He was placed on mental health leave at work. His employer insisted he submit to a psychological assessment and this led to his eventual resignation from his teaching position. The father also acknowledged he was growing more and more exhausted with the commute to exercise parenting time. Also, he was feeling significant financial pressure to the point he filed an assignment in bankruptcy which was his second one since 2009. He says, nonetheless, his family helped him financially and he managed to continue paying his court-ordered child support obligations while he was out of work.
In the summer of 2017, the father had a total breakdown and was admitted to the psychiatric unit of the Saint John Regional Hospital. He remained hospitalized for a total of five weeks. The father says after his discharge, he enrolled in therapy and counseling programs to help in his recovery.
As a result of the father’s challenges and the concerns around his fitness to exercise parenting time, the mother filed a Notice of Motion on May 19, 2017 seeking to vary the previous Interim Orders “because of concerns regarding the mental health of the [father] and his living arrangements with the child”. [Emphasis added; paras. 35-37] [ 24 ] Between June 2017 and November 2017, three interim orders initially reduced the father’s parenting time and, subsequently , largely restored it to the time established in the August 2016 interim order.
The decision to return to a greater level of parenting time followed the delivery of a report/assessment from the father’s treating psychiatrist, which opined as to his fitness to exercise this time. In relation to the father’s resumption of access after this difficult period, the trial judge stated: The mother says after this last Interim Order [November 2017], the father provided reports from his treating specialists satisfying her he could manage additional parenting time with [their daughter]. She says by 2018 the parties had gradually increased his parenting time until they reached a
schedule of overnights every second weekend from Friday after the end of the father’s workday to Sunday around 6 PM. They also agreed to parenting time in the summer months that the mother believes occurred over the course of two to three weeks in addition to the alternate weekends. The mother says she felt this incremental parenting time complied with the spirit and intent of paragraphs 13 and 14 of the last Interim Order. The father testified he remained responsible for the transportation for this parenting time throughout 2018. He says his family also helped with this.
The father also testified he moved to the Moncton area for a while and took on supply teaching assignments in November and December 2017. He says during his time in Moncton, he again felt an overwhelming accumulation of stress due to his work as a high school supply teacher as well as his struggles in obtaining increased parenting time. He also testified he struggled with motivation and felt isolated from his family; he truly missed their support. As a result, the father concluded it was best for him to return to Saint John.
Once there, he enrolled in a “Building Balance” course that he attended three days per week. He also enrolled in French classes to improve his language skills. He says these programs were of great benefit to him. [paras. 45-46] [ 25 ] As the trial judge explained, the reports provided by the father’s treating specialists satisfied the mother that he “could manage” additional parenting time and, by 2018, it was increased to overnight stays, every second weekend.
On appeal, the father sought to admit, as new evidence, portions of the report he obtained from a psychiatrist to assist with his return to more expansive parenting time. More will be said about this later. [ 26 ] In September 2018, the father obtained full-time permanent employment with the Department of Social Development in Saint John. [ 27 ] In late 2019, the mother and her common-law partner had a son, a younger brother to the parties’ daughter. [ 28 ] In March 2020, the COVID-19 pandemic led to a couple of changes in the father’s parenting time.
With schools being closed for the balance of the academic year and the father working from home every second week, in late April or early May 2020, the child began spending every second week with the father in Saint John. Additionally, the mother began sharing the transportation for the daughter’s time with her father. The parents would meet in Sussex.
This arrangement continued until the trial, and the parties asked that it be made part of any order regardless of who would have the majority of the parenting time. [ 29 ] The fall of 2020 presented opportunities for additional parenting time, but this period also became contentious. When the father was in Moncton for work, he had additional time with his daughter; however, at trial the father testified that the mother had unreasonably denied him parenting time on three weekends, between October and December 2020.
The mother explained she was concerned about his exposure to COVID-19 given the father’s unique deployment in Moncton, which she felt placed him at a greater risk of exposure, and she had a very young son, who was approaching his first birthday. Although she acknowledged cancelling “no more than two or three weekends,” she said that she compensated for this by giving the father additional parenting time. [ 30 ] The father also maintained at trial that he was denied parenting time during the 2021 March Break.
The mother testified she had asked the father about his plans for their daughter’s March Break and, in the absence of him advising of any, she registered her in a horseback riding camp in Memramcook.
The mother explained that, at the end of the week when the father wanted the daughter, she was too exhausted to go to Saint John. [ 31 ] At the time of the trial, in September 2021, the father continued to work with the Department of Social Development in Saint John, but he advised the court that he continued to look for opportunities to transfer to the Moncton area. [ 32 ] At trial, the mother asked for the majority of the parenting time along with the primary residential care of their daughter.
She suggested the father’s parenting time remain unchanged: alternating weekends (extended to include statutory holidays), a weekday evening, a sharing of all holidays and two additional weeks during the summer. [ 33 ] The father initially requested joint and equal parenting time, with the child spending summer months in Saint John; however, in his final submissions, he requested their daughter live with him in Saint John, and he be granted the majority of parenting time. [ 34 ] As noted above, the trial judge ordered that the mother have the majority of parenting time, with the father’s parenting time to be substantially as it was and as the mother had suggested, except that, the judge ordered the child’s summer break be shared equally.
In relation to child support, the parties agreed their 2021 guideline incomes were $65,363 (for the mother) and $55,135 (for the father). The judge ordered prospective child support of $470 per month commencing December 1, 2021. The trial judge ordered retroactive child support from January 2014, less a one-third reduction of the table amount during the periods he travelled. She rejected the father’s claim for a retroactive contribution to the travel costs he had incurred from 2012.
III. Issues on Appeal [ 35 ] The father’s grounds of appeal contend the trial judge erred by: 1. Misapplying the best interests of the child test, including by underemphasizing the importance of the father’s access to the child ; 2. Inappropriately using a psychiatric evaluation from the father’s employment as a teacher and ignoring evidence from another psychiatrist; 3. Ineffectively addressing the occasions when the mother withheld the father’s access to the child over three weekends in the fall of 2020 and during March Break 2021; and 4.
Giving insufficient reasons as to why she “ignored the agreement reached” between the father and mother to substitute child support (between 2012 and 2016) and overlooked the consent agreement signed in 2016 . [ 36 ] The father filed a motion to allow him to admit, on appeal, evidence that he maintains is new and relevant to his grounds of appeal, namely evidence that was not before the trial judge. This evidence is comprised of: 1. An email from a former landlord in Saint John regarding a lease to the father from August 2012 to December 2012 (email dated January 2022); 2. Medical notes of his referral in St.
Stephen to the Horizon Health Network (November 2013) following the mother’s return to Petit-Rocher; 3. An NB Power Account
Summary for the period from February 2014 to July 2014 to show the mother’s connection to the account for their St. Andrews property; 4. A letter from his lawyer to the lawyer for the mother (dated June 2016); 5. Portions of what the father described as the medical and psychiatric assessment report by Dr. Arif Bungash, M.D., MDH (extracts were undated, but identified by the father as being from November 2016); 6. A letter from Social Development (Child Protection) confirming that the father’s intake file was closed (dated August 2017); 7. A letter from Dr.
Agbodo M.D., MDH regarding the father’s care (dated September 2017); 8. A Family Law Information Centre registration form completed by or on behalf of the father (October 2020); and 9. A printout or screenshot of a conversation with the mother (via Facebook, March 8, 2021) regarding an interview for a position in Moncton.
[ 37 ] All these documents existed prior to the trial in September 2021 (except the email obtained from the father’s former landlord regarding the 2012 lease, which could have been obtained before trial), and there is no basis for concluding they were unavailable for use at the trial. For this reason alone, there is no basis for admitting these documents on appeal as new evidence.
Further, some are only portions of the documents sought to be admitted, and others have no bearing on the issues raised by the grounds of appeal. [ 38 ] I would dismiss this motion and add that, even if the documents were accepted, they would not provide a basis for allowing any of the grounds of appeal. [ 39 ] Finally, before addressing the grounds of appeal, I should point out that the mother chose not to respond to the father’s appeal or participate at its hearing.
In a letter to the Registrar of this Court, she stated that she did not have the knowledge or funds to respond, and she was occupied by responding to the father’s “notice” to vary the decision under appeal (in the Court of Queen’s Bench), which was scheduled for hearing in February 2022. At the hearing of the appeal, the father advised that he had moved to Moncton after the trial. IV. Analysis A.
The grounds of appeal relating to parenting time [ 40 ] Although the first of the grounds of appeal relating to parenting time asserts the trial judge misapplied the best interests of the child test, the father’s position is confined to his contention that she did so because she underemphasized the importance of his relationship with his daughter. This goes to the judge’s assessment and weighing of the evidence.
His second and third grounds of appeal regarding parenting time similarly challenge the judge’s assessment of the evidence. [ 41 ] Before addressing each of his grounds of appeal, I would underscore that the father’s submissions to us included characterizations of events that do not entirely align with the evidence at trial and/or the findings of the trial judge; however, I address only those that are necessary to respond to the issues raised by the grounds of appeal.
(1) Underemphasizing the importance of the father’s access [ 42 ] Despite the narrow scope of this ground of appeal, it is worth stating that the trial judge’s reasons for decision identify the “best interests of the child” test, and the factors relevant to that analysis, in a manner that is clear, comprehensive, and correct. [ 43 ] In my opinion, the judge’s reasons do not suggest, even remotely, that she did not properly consider the strength of the bond between the father and his daughter or the importance of his role in her life. [ 44 ] The significance of the father’s role in the life of his daughter is demonstratively apparent from the judge’s decision not only to award expansive parenting time during the child’s school year, but also to apportion the time equally during all periods when the child is not attending school, including the summer break.
This reflects a rejection of the mother’s position that half of the time during the summer break was not in their daughter’s best interests. [ 45 ] The father’s position appears to be premised on the view that, because the judge ordered the mother provide the majority of the child’s parenting time, she must have underemphasized the importance of his access/time. Such an inference cannot be drawn from the judge’s assessment of the best interests of their daughter.
The decision to allocate the majority of the parenting time to the mother, particularly during the child’s school year, is not incompatible with the importance of the child’s time with her father. The requisite assessment of the child’s best interests included consideration of many factors, and the judge’s consideration of all relevant factors is set out fully in her decision.
In relation to the mother’s role since the child’s birth, the judge stated: The evidence establishes the mother has been the principal caregiver of [the parents’ daughter] since early on after her birth and, at the very least, since the separation of the parties when she was 18 months old. She argues that [their daughter’s] sense of belonging has always been with her. I agree. While I am satisfied the father is amply capable of taking care of [their daughter], it remains that the child
was in the primary residential care of her mother for most of her life. As well, there was an extended period around 2017 when the father was going through a significant mental health breakdown and was, through no fault of his own, unable to be present to dispense care to the child. There is no question that both parents have been totally devoted and committed to their parental roles since [their daughter’s] birth and in the continuity of her care. They continue to respectively bring their unique strength to every stage of her development.
To their credit, and in spite of this protracted litigation, they both described the other as a very good parent. […] Turning to the parties’ ability and willingness to communicate and cooperate on matters affecting [their daughter] I am of the view that the mother has been much more skillful than the father in that regard. The evidence establishes the father has been unrelentless in criticizing the mother for moving away from his home base. He remains fixated on the notion she abducted [their daughter] and made repeated claims that she contravened provisions of the Criminal Code .
His obsessive emails and text messages in that regard, with copies sent at times to third parties, amount in my view to acts of harassment and bullying. To her credit, the mother always rose above these accusations and steadfastly remained focused on matters relevant to [their daughter]’s well-being. She had one goal in mind: safeguarding her mental health and well-being so she could competently raise [their daughter] in a safe and secure environment.
On more general and routine matters relating to the parties’ ability to cooperate and communicate, the evidence establishes the father has often been incapable of remaining focused on [their daughter] in his exchanges with the mother. He often digresses in responding to the mother’s relevant inquiries about [their daughter].
For example, rather than responding to a brief email or text with a brief reply, he often embarks upon irrelevant repeated rants that she broke the law or that his rights have been violated. […] In the allocation of the parenting time as set out below, I have taken into consideration [their daughter]’s right to spend as much time with both her parents as is consistent with her best interests and taking into account the distance that separates the parents’ respective residences. [Emphasis added; paras. 104, 108-109 and 115] [ 46 ] The judge did not underemphasize the importance of the father’s access.
There is no merit to this ground of appeal.
(2) Inappropriately using a psychiatric evaluation (from the father’s employment) and ignoring the evaluation of another psychiatrist [ 47 ] The object of this ground of appeal and what the father was seeking from this Court in relation to it were not readily apparent.
His written submission asks to “remove [from the trial decision] any reference to [his] employment as a teacher, or his psychiatric assessment from the final order.” Explaining that he signed a non-disclosure agreement with the Government of New Brunswick and his assessment should “never have been raised at trial,” he submits the judge should have been more sensitive to the issues he faced. Additionally, and presumably in the alternative, he asks that we “consider adding a quote from Dr.
Agbodo’s medical document discussing the impact of the custody matter, employment situation and travel had on his mental health.” This is one of the documents he sought to admit into evidence on appeal; it addresses how his condition was a product of issues that included the stress of traveling to visit his daughter and how he had improved and was able to parent her. [ 48 ] In essence, and as clarified to some extent by his oral submissions, the father was seeking a clarification of the trial decision in relation to his circumstances in 2017.
His concern is one of privacy and the resolution is either the removal of the information referenced in the trial decision or the addition of facts, from Dr. Agbodo’s assessment, that would put the judge’s observations in the trial decision in better context. [ 49 ] Significantly, there is no challenge to the trial judge’s
summary of the evidence in relation to the father’s circumstances between late 2016 and 2018, nor is it submitted that his challenges during that time weighed inappropriately in the judge’s decision respecting parenting. In fact, the judge’s findings regarding his condition and its impact on parenting time are not based on any assessment, diagnosis, or conclusions contained in a report prepared at the request of the father’s employer, which appears to be the father’s concern.
Rather, the judge’s findings were based on t he viva voice evidence of both the mother and the father at trial. [ 50 ] T here is also no basis for the father’s broad assertions that the judge should not have allowed the mother to
raise at trial his circumstances or care at that time since such information was private and/or confidential. He acknowledges his circumstances in 2017 gave rise to a temporary reduction in his parenting time. Fewer than six months after the first interim parenting order was made in August 2016, they resulted in three further interim court orders (between June 2017 and November 2017) that reduced his parenting time until, with the agreement of the mother, it returned to a level that was close to that provided for in the August 2016 order, albeit with one fewer weekend each month.
Such evidence was properly before the trial judge [ 51 ] Finally, even had we decided to accept portions of Dr. Agbodo’s assessment as new evidence (as requested by the father), these extracts would not have any bearing on the outcome of this appeal. While the father appears to believe Dr. Agbodo’s assessment presents a more even or favourable account of his condition, and it clearly does address his success in putting this period in the past, all of this was recognized by the trial judge even without Dr. Agbodo’s assessment.
As the judge expressly acknowledged in her reasons, the father’s condition improved considerably, and the mother accepted that this improvement, as it had been reported by the father’s specialists, warranted a return to expansive parenting time with their daughter. [ 52 ] In addition to being unable to revise or correct the evidence before the trial judge, the evidence already reflects, at least generally, the facts the father wishes to have recognized. I would dismiss this ground of appeal.
(3) Ineffectively addressing the mother’s withholding access in the fall of 2020 and during March Break 2021 [ 53 ] The father contends the trial judge should not have accepted the mother’s excuses for withholding access and the fact she did so should have weighed against the decision to give the majority of the parenting time to her. [ 54 ] As explained above, at trial, the father maintained the mother unreasonably denied him parenting time on three weekends, between October and December 2020, and during the 2021 March Break.
The mother acknowledged both incidents but testified as to the reasons they had occurred. She explained that she had concerns over COVID-19 in the fall of 2020 and their daughter was tired near the end of March Break after participating in a horseback riding camp. [ 55 ] The judge’s reasons for decision expressly addressed the parties’ evidence in relation to these incidents, and there is no suggestion she did so inaccurately. It was part of the extensive evidence that included a number of situations where the conduct of one party was viewed or interpreted as inappropriate or unjustified by the other.
It was not necessary for the judge to embark on a discrete determination of who was right or wrong in relation to each of these situations, or, in relation to this issue, a determination of whether the lack of access was justifiable in the circumstances. What is clear is that the judge accepted the mother’s evidence as truthful.
While on that evidence, I do not consider the withholding of access to be unreasonable, especially given the additional access afforded the father, even if the judge had concluded the denial of access was not justifiable, that would not be a basis for concluding the judge’s disposition reflected an error in her assessment of all the evidence. The judge undoubtedly considered this evidence as she assessed the factors related to the best interests of the parties’ daughter. There is no error in the judge’s assessment or weighing of this evidence, and I would dismiss this ground of appeal. B.
The ground of appeal relating to child support [ 56 ] The father asserts the trial judge gave insufficient reasons as to why she (1) “ignored the agreement reached” between the father and mother to substitute child support (between 2012 and 2016); and (2) overlooked the consent agreement signed in 2016. There is no merit to either submission. [ 57 ] While the trial judge noted the father’s evidence was that he and the mother agreed in 2012 he would not pay child support, she did not find this was the case.
The judge found as a fact that the mother did not seek child support after she returned to Petit-Rocher in September 2012, because the father incurred the cost of travelling to visit their daughter and he contributed to the costs of daycare. On the record before the judge, this finding is unassailable. Even if the judge had accepted the father’s claim, there is no basis in the record for finding an agreement to “substitute” or release child support for travel costs would have continued after the mother’s move to Saint John in January 2014.
The period before 2014 is not relevant since the judge only ordered support from January 2014. [ 58 ] Additionally, the trial judge accepted the mother’s testimony that she requested the father pay child support in early 2014, about the time she returned to Saint John to work for the CRA, and the father’s travel to Petit-Rocher ended. It was based on this finding that the judge decided to allow the mother’s claim for retroactive child support, that is, child support prior to the filing of her application in April 2016. It was also why the judge only allowed the claim from January 2014.
[ 59 ] The interim consent order signed by the parties in August 2016 does reflect, as the father submits on appeal, their agreement respecting child support from 2016; however, neither that order nor their underlying agreement, resolve, or act as a bar to, the claim for child support advanced in the Notice of Application filed in April 2016.
Indeed, absent a clear intention to resolve a claim advanced in the application, the interim consent order could not do so. [ 60 ] The application claimed an order requiring the father pay child support (1) going forward from the filing of the application, in April 2016, and (2) retroactively, prior to its filing, from 2012. [ 61 ] The mother’s motion for interim relief claimed for child support pending the determination of the child support claim advanced in the application.
In response to this motion, a judge’s interim order for support could not restrict or limit the child support claims to be adjudicated at a trial of the application (or by a consensual resolution of that claim). By its nature, a motion for interim relief for child support may result in an order that provides support until and subject to an adjudication of the application; however, it cannot determine entitlement to the substantive relief claimed in the application.
Hence, the child support paid under an interim order may be practically viewed as a payment on account against the child support claim made in the application, subject to the merits of the application. Further, to be clear, the adjudication of the child support claim advanced in the application, in relation to the period after the application, is not a retroactive claim regardless of when that claim is determined by the court, at least in the sense of a retroactive claim as contemplated by the Supreme Court in D.B.S. v. S.R.G.; L.J.W. v. T.A.R.; Henry v. Henry; Hiemstra v.
Hiemstra , 2006 SCC 37 , [2006] 2 S.C.R. 231 . [ 62 ] However, this is obviously subject to the parties’ ability to agree that the resolution of any issue raised in a motion for interim relief, whether by adjudication or by consent, be also dispositive of the claim advanced in the application. In this case, the interim consent order expressly stated that the retroactive claim to 2012 was to be resolved at the hearing of the application.
Although the order did not similarly expressly preserve for the hearing of the application the claim for child support from the filing of the application, in my opinion, the trial judge correctly concluded the interim consent order did not reflect an intention by the parties to resolve the support claims raised in the application.
As a consequence, the judge was required to determine that claim based on the financial information that was part of the record at the time of trial and treat the support paid by the father under the interim consent order as a credit against that obligation. [ 63 ] The father also argued the reduction given by the judge to the child support otherwise payable under the Guidelines to account for his travel costs is insufficient, without providing any meaningful basis to support this assertion and without identifying any error. [ 64 ] There is no basis for this ground of appeal, and I would dismiss it. V.
Disposition [ 65 ] For these reasons, I would dismiss the appeal. The mother did not appear, and there is no request for costs against the father. Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par LE JUGE FRENCH
I. Introduction [1] Le père d’une enfant âgée de 11 ans interjette appel des ordonnances parentale et alimentaire pour enfant rendues par une juge de la Cour du Banc de la Reine, Division de la famille, au terme d’un procès de quatre jours durant lequel les deux parents se représentaient eux-mêmes. [2] La juge du procès a ordonné que la mère ait la majorité du temps parental avec l’enfant.
Elle lui a aussi attribué les responsabilités décisionnelles définitives quant aux questions importantes relatives à la santé, à l’éducation et au bien-être de l’enfant, à condition de communiquer d’abord avec le père, et qu’ils tentent autant que possible de s’entendre sur la question en cause.
Le temps que l’enfant passe avec son père comprend une fin de semaine sur deux, tous les mercredis (après l’école) et la moitié des congés scolaires (y compris ceux de Noël, de mars, de Pâques et d’été). [3] La juge du procès a ordonné au père de payer des aliments pour l’enfant pour les années 2014 et 2015 ainsi que pour une
partie de l’année 2016, soit rétroactivement par rapport à la date de la requête de la mère qui a été déposée en avril 2016, et pour l’avenir, à compter de la date de sa décision. Elle a réduit d’un tiers le montant des aliments autrement payables selon les Lignes directrices fédérales sur les pensions alimentaires pour enfants , DORS/97-175 , pour les périodes durant lesquelles le père a dû se rendre dans une collectivité autre que la sienne pour passer du temps avec leur fille.
Le total des aliments payables du 1 er janvier 2014 au 1 er novembre 2021 a été fixé à 18 398 $, et la juge a ordonné que le père s’acquitte de ce montant par versements de 250 $ par mois, en plus de son obligation alimentaire prospective et continue de 470 $ par mois à compter de décembre 2021 (fondée sur un revenu de 55 135 $ en 2021). [4] En appel, le père soutient que la juge du procès a commis des erreurs (1) en appliquant erronément [TRADUCTION] « le critère de l’intérêt supérieur de l’enfant, y compris en sous-estimant l’importance de l’accès du père à l’enfant »; (2) en ayant recours de manière inappropriée à une évaluation psychiatrique du père effectué dans le contexte de son emploi d’enseignant et en ne tenant pas compte d’un élément de preuve émanant d’un psychiatre autre que celui qui a procédé à l’évaluation; (3) en traitant inefficacement des occasions où la mère a empêché le père d’exercer son droit d’accès à l’enfant durant trois fins de semaine à l’automne 2020 ainsi que durant le congé de mars 2021; et (4) en ne motivant pas suffisamment sa décision [TRADUCTION] « de ne pas tenir compte de l’entente conclue » entre le père et la mère de substituer certains frais aux aliments pour l’enfant (entre 2012 et 2016) et en négligeant de tenir compte de l’accord signé en 2016. [5] Bien que le père affirme que la juge du procès a commis des erreurs [TRADUCTION] « de droit et de fait », toutes les questions qu’il soulève en appel remettent en cause les conclusions de fait de celle-ci ou son évaluation de la preuve.
Or, comme notre Cour le reconnaît depuis longtemps, les conclusions de fait d’un juge de première instance dans les affaires familiales exigent une grande retenue (voir C.A. c. A.A. , 2011 NBCA 109 , 381 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 1993, par. 1-3 ). Je rejetterais l’appel pour les motifs qui suivent. II. Contexte [6] En mars 2010, lorsque les parties ont commencé à se fréquenter, la mère vivait à Petit-Rocher. En vertu d’un contrat, elle travaillait comme hygiéniste dentaire à Bathurst où elle effectuait un remplacement durant un congé de maternité.
Le père vivait à Saint John et travaillait comme enseignant. [7] En septembre 2010, ils ont entamé une période de cohabitation à Saint John qui a duré deux ans. La mère a appris qu’elle était enceinte peu de temps avant la fin de son contrat à Bathurst. Elle a été incapable de trouver un poste d’hygiéniste à Saint John; elle y a toutefois décroché un emploi à
titre d’aide-enseignante. [8] En avril 2011, la fille des parties est née. Vers septembre 2011, après six mois de congé de maternité, la mère a repris le travail à temps plein dans un centre d’appels. Cet emploi requérait qu’elle effectue des quarts de travail de jour, de soirée et de fins de semaine. Leur fille a été inscrite dans une garderie. [9] En octobre 2012, la mère est retournée à Petit-Rocher, avec l’enfant, pour vivre avec sa mère. Elle a recommencé à travailler comme hygiéniste à Bathurst, encore une fois en vertu d’un contrat pour un remplacement durant un congé de
maternité. [10] La juge a entendu la preuve et tiré des conclusions quant à la relation des parties et aux défis auxquels ils ont fait face durant leur cohabitation à Saint John. Bien que la majorité de cette période soit sans pertinence pour les questions soulevées en appel, la décision de la mère de partir avec l’enfant n’était pas consensuelle et il suffit de mentionner que le père s’opposait à leur départ de la région de Saint John. [11] La juge a conclu que, après le retour de la mère à Petit-Rocher, les échanges entre les parties sont restés ouverts et cordiaux.
Le père se rendait souvent à Petit-Rocher durant les fins de semaine pour rendre visite à la fille et à la mère. Il n’était pas rare non plus qu’il se déplace après le travail, en milieu de semaine, pour leur rendre visite. Selon le témoignage de la mère, elle n’a pas demandé d’aliments pour l’enfant à ce moment-là en raison des frais de déplacement que devait supporter le père, et parce que ce dernier contribuait aux frais de garderie pour leur fille à Petit-Rocher.
En appel, le père a affirmé qu’ils avaient convenu qu’il n’y aurait pas d’aliments pour enfant durant cette période. [12] En août ou septembre 2013, les parties ont tenté de reprendre la cohabitation, et elles ont signé un bail d’un an pour une propriété située dans la région de Saint Andrews. À ce moment-là, le contrat temporaire de la mère à Bathurst était échu et le père a accepté un poste à Saint Andrews à
titre de directeur des sports pour des écoles de la région. L’école de Saint John où il avait travaillé auparavant était désormais fermée. [13] Cette période de cohabitation a été très brève. Même si la mère avait accepté un poste d’hygiéniste dentaire dans la région de Saint Andrews et St. Stephen, ce projet ne s’est pas concrétisé et, en octobre 2013, elle a accepté un autre contrat temporaire pour travailler comme hygiéniste à Bathurst. Les circonstances de la décision de la mère de quitter Saint Andrews et de retourner à Petit-Rocher ont fait l’objet de témoignages contradictoires durant le procès.
Quoi qu’il en soit, comme le père l’avait fait durant l’année précédente, il s’est encore déplacé jusqu’à Petit-Rocher pour passer du temps avec leur fille. Cela s’est poursuivi durant environ quatre ou cinq mois. Il a trouvé qu’il était encore plus difficile de se déplacer à partir de Saint Andrews que cela ne l’avait été pour le faire à partir de Saint John, notamment compte tenu des obligations qui lui incombaient à
titre de directeur des sports. Une fois de plus, il a insisté pour que la mère retourne dans la région de Saint John. Il s’est aussi plaint d’être financièrement responsable du bail pour la maison située à Saint Andrews. [14] En février 2014, la mère a obtenu un emploi à Saint John et conclu un contrat de six mois avec l’Agence du revenu du Canada pour travailler dans son centre d’appels. Initialement, la mère et l’enfant ont habité avec la mère du père, soit jusqu’à ce qu’elles trouvent un appartement à Rothesay ainsi qu’une place dans une [TRADUCTION] « garderie française en milieu scolaire » locale.
Comme la mère travaillait jusqu’à 19 h et était incapable d’aller chercher leur fille avant la fermeture de la garderie, le père se déplaçait après le travail de Saint Andrews à Rothesay pour le faire. Une fois qu’il avait remis l’enfant à la mère, il retournait à Saint Andrews.
Cela s’est poursuivi jusqu’à environ mai 2014, lorsque le père a pu être muté à Saint John, où il était responsable de cinq écoles primaires. [15] Je signale en passant que, même si la requête de la mère datée d’avril 2016 sollicitait une ordonnance alimentaire pour enfant rétroactive à la séparation en 2012, la juge a rendu une telle ordonnance, mais uniquement pour la période commençant en janvier 2014, en se fondant, en partie, sur sa conclusion que la mère avait demandé des aliments pour enfant lorsqu’elle est retournée à Saint John. [16] Durant quelque 18 mois, de mai 2014 à la fin septembre 2015, les deux parents ont vécu dans la région de Saint John et le père n’avait pas à voyager pour passer du temps avec leur fille.
Après son retour à Saint John, le père a été en mesure de trouver un appartement proche de la résidence de la mère. À la fin de 2014, le père prévoyait de partager le temps parental ou effectuer du coparentage avec la mère pour leur fille. La juge a formulé les observations suivantes quant aux plans du père et à la décision subséquente de la mère, durant l’été de 2015, de déménager dans la région de Moncton : [TRADUCTION] La mère affirme que ce projet a été rapidement abandonné puisque le père n’avait pas les moyens de payer son loyer.
À un moment donné, il n’avait aucun logement stable où il pouvait exercer son temps parental. La mère sentait que l’arrangement de coparentage n’était tout simplement pas viable. Elle a témoigné qu’elle a habité à Rothesay pendant environ 18 mois, à savoir de mai 2014 à septembre 2015, tout en continuant de travailler pour l’ARC, les contrats à court terme ayant été reconduits à quelques reprises .
À la fin de l’été 2015, la mère a accepté un contrat de six mois à temps plein avec l’ARC à
titre d’agente de recouvrement dans la région de Moncton. Ses heures de travail chaque semaine étaient du lundi au vendredi, pendant le jour, et ne dépassaient pas 16 h 30. Ces heures correspondaient beaucoup mieux à l’horaire de la garderie de [leur fille]. La mère dit avoir informé le père par message texte de sa décision de déménager avec [leur fille] dans la collectivité avoisinante de Dieppe. Le père a initialement allégué dans ses plaidoiries que la mère ne l’avait pas informé de son projet et qu’elle avait enlevé [leur fille].
Pendant son témoignage, il a reconnu qu’il était au courant de son plan en juillet ou en août . [par. 23-24] [17] En octobre 2015, la mère avait déménagé avec l’enfant dans une maison jumelée qu’elle avait achetée à Dieppe, et l’enfant a été inscrite à la garderie. [18] Même si le père s’est opposé au déménagement, il a pris un congé sans solde d’un an de son poste d’enseignant pour commencer à chercher un emploi à Moncton. Il a trouvé un poste de manœuvre dans une grande entreprise de transport où il a ultérieurement été affecté à un poste de bureau.
Son revenu était inférieur à celui qu’il gagnait durant les années précédentes, et il a loué un petit studio. Même si les deux parents travaillaient à Moncton, les six mois qui ont suivi octobre 2015 ont été difficiles, et la mère a décidé de présenter une requête au tribunal, ce qu’elle a fait le 5 avril 2016. En résumant le temps que les parties avaient passé dans la région de Moncton, la juge du procès a affirmé : [TRADUCTION] Plus tard, le père a été muté à un emploi de bureau pour le même employeur, où il travaillait par quarts.
Il a déménagé dans un petit studio, car c’est tout ce qu’il pouvait se permettre. Son horaire étant flexible, il était disponible pendant le jour pour exercer par périodes intermittentes son temps parental auprès de [leur fille], qui avait alors quatre ans et qui était toujours à la garderie à temps plein. Il dit que, avec le consentement de la mère et la coopération du personnel de la garderie, il allait souvent chercher [leur fille] à la garderie au milieu de la journée pour faire une sortie ou une activité avec elle.
Lorsque le moment était venu pour lui de se présenter au travail, il la ramenait à sa garderie . La mère dit que, pendant cette même période, elle s’inquiétait une fois de plus de la santé mentale du père. Il l’inondait de messages textes et de courriels la critiquant pour avoir déménagé et exerçant des pressions sur elle pour qu’elle accepte un arrangement parental à son goût à lui. La mère dit que le père était inflexible sur le fait que [leur fille] devait revenir vivre à Saint John, où elle était née.
À de nombreuses occasions, lorsqu’il allait chez la mère pour le transfert de l’enfant en vue de l’exercice du temps parental, il provoquait des disputes et des querelles en présence de l’enfant . Au printemps 2016, la relation des parties en tant que parents s’était détériorée davantage. La mère a témoigné qu’elle était épuisée d’être critiquée sans cesse par le père dans de nombreux et longs courriels et messages textes, qui étaient souvent presque complètement hors sujet. Il lui téléphonait aussi souvent pour poursuivre ses protestations.
La mère dit que c’était ce qui l’avait menée à retenir les services d’un avocat, après quoi elle a déposé un avis de requête le 5 avril 2016 en vue de trouver une solution en ce qui a trait aux questions quant à leur rôle de parents, aux responsabilités décisionnelles, aux aliments au profit de l’enfant et aux frais de garde d’enfant. Elle a aussi déposé un avis de motion en mesures provisoires le même jour.
Ses préoccupations concernant la santé mentale du père s’étaient considérablement intensifiées et elles ont été exacerbées par le fait qu’il n’avait pas un logement stable lorsqu’il exerçait son temps parental avec [leur fille] . [par. 28-30] [19] En août 2016, les premières ordonnances parentale et alimentaire pour l’enfant ont été rendues.
À ce moment- là, le père était retourné à Saint John, où il avait obtenu un poste d’enseignant à Rothesay qu’il devait occuper à compter de septembre 2016. [20] Une ordonnance parentale provisoire (datée du 22 août 2016) a confié à la mère le rôle de parent pourvoyeur principal des soins pour l’enfant durant l’année scolaire . Le temps parental du père comprenait trois fins de semaine par mois (la première, la deuxième et la dernière), du vendredi après l’école au dimanche à 19 h 30, ainsi que tous les mercredis (après l’école, jusqu’à 19 h 30).
Le père a obtenu la majorité du temps parental durant les mois de juillet et août, et la mère une fin de semaine sur deux durant cette période. Tous les autres congés devaient être partagés. Le père était responsable du transport. En appel, le père a fait valoir que le temps parental aurait dû correspondre à tout le moins à ce qui avait été prescrit dans cette ordonnance provisoire. [21] Le 31 août 2016, les parents ont signé une ordonnance provisoire par consentement relative aux aliments pour l’enfant. Les parties ont convenu que le revenu de la mère s’élevait à 51 000 $ et celui du père à 60 281 $.
Compte tenu de leur
reconnaissance que le père dépensait des sommes importantes pour se déplacer pour exercer son temps parental (entre Dieppe et Saint John), les parties ont convenu que les aliments payables selon le tableau des Lignes directrices (520 $ par mois) seraient réduits de 170 $, à 350 $. Ces aliments devaient être payés durant l’année scolaire, lorsque la mère agissait comme parent pourvoyeur principal des soins pour l’enfant. Aucune prestation alimentaire ne devait être versée par l’une ou l’autre des parties de juin à août. Les frais de garderie devaient être partagés au prorata des revenus des parties.
En appel, le père fait valoir que la juge du procès n’a pas tenu compte comme il se devait de l’entente convenue entre les parties quant aux aliments pour l’enfant consignée dans l’ordonnance par consentement. [22] Peu de temps après que les ordonnances provisoires ont été rendues et que le père a commencé à enseigner à Rothesay, sa situation a commencé à se détériorer. En janvier 2017, son employeur a demandé qu’il soit évalué par souci pour sa santé mentale.
Le père soutient en appel qu’il était inapproprié que la juge du procès tienne compte de l’évaluation psychiatrique, tout comme l’était la référence de la juge à des éléments de preuve relatifs à son état et à sa situation. [23] Dans les motifs de sa décision, la juge n’a fait référence à aucune observation ou opinion formulée dans l’évaluation psychologique; cependant, elle a bel et bien résumé la preuve incontestée des parties quant à l’état du père et quant au fait que celui-ci a mené à une réduction de son temps parental avec leur fille, jusqu’à très tard en 2017 ou au début de 2018 : [TRADUCTION] Dans son témoignage, le père a reconnu qu’il avait commencé, à la fin de décembre 2016 et au début de 2017, à se sentir accablé à de nombreux égards, y compris au travail.
Il a été mis en congé de travail en raison de sa santé mentale. Son employeur insistait pour qu’il subisse une évaluation psychologique, ce qui a fini par mener à sa démission de son poste d’enseignement. Le père a aussi reconnu que faire la navette pour exercer son temps parental l’épuisait de plus en plus. Il ressentait en outre une pression financière importante, à un point tel qu’il a fait une cession de faillite, sa deuxième depuis 2009.
Il dit cependant que sa famille l’a aidé financièrement et qu’il a réussi à continuer de s’acquitter de ses obligations alimentaires ordonnées par la Cour pendant qu’il ne travaillait pas . À l’été 2017, le père a subi un effondrement total et a été admis à l’unité de psychiatrie de l’Hôpital régional de Saint John. Il y a été hospitalisé pendant cinq semaines au total. Le père dit s’être inscrit à des programmes de thérapie et de counseling après avoir obtenu son congé de l’hôpital afin de l’aider dans sa guérison.
En conséquence des difficultés éprouvées par le père et des préoccupations ayant trait à son aptitude à exercer son temps parental, la mère a déposé un avis de motion le 19 mai 2017 sollicitant une modification des ordonnances provisoires antérieures [TRADUCTION] « en raison de préoccupations liées à la santé mentale du [père] et de ses conditions de logement avec l’enfant ». [Gras et soulignement ajoutés; par. 35-37] [24] Entre juin 2017 et novembre 2017, trois ordonnances provisoires ont d’abord réduit le temps parental du père et l’ont subséquemment rétabli, pour l’essentiel, au temps qui lui avait été accordé par l’ordonnance provisoire d’août 2016.
La décision de revenir à un temps parental plus généreux a suivi la remise d’un rapport d’évaluation du psychiatre traitant du père, qui a dit être d’avis que son patient était en état d’exercer ce temps parental. En ce qui a trait au rétablissement de l’accès du père après cette période difficile, la juge du procès a affirmé : [TRADUCTION] La mère affirme que, à la suite de [l’]ordonnance provisoire [de novembre 2017], le père avait fourni des rapports de ses spécialistes traitants qui l’avaient convaincue qu’il était capable d’exercer plus de temps parental avec [leur fille].
Elle dit qu’en 2018, les parties avaient graduellement augmenté le temps parental du père jusqu’à ce qu’il ait des visites avec nuitée une fin de semaine sur deux, du vendredi après sa journée de travail jusqu’au dimanche, vers 18 h. Ils ont également convenu de lui accorder du temps parental pendant l’été, lequel a été exercé, selon ce que croit la mère, pendant deux à trois semaines, en sus du temps parental qu’il exerçait une fin de semaine sur deux.
La mère affirme qu’elle estimait que cette augmentation progressive du temps parental respectait l’esprit et l’objet des paragraphes 13 et 14 de la dernière ordonnance provisoire. Le père a témoigné qu’il est demeuré responsable du transport en vue de l’exercice de son temps parental tout au long de l’année 2018. Il dit que sa famille l’avait aussi aidé à cet égard. Le père a en outre témoigné qu’il avait déménagé dans la région de Moncton pendant un certain temps et qu’il avait accepté des missions d’enseignement à
titre de suppléant en novembre et en décembre 2017. Il dit que, pendant son séjour à Moncton, il avait encore une fois ressenti une accumulation accablante de stress lié à son travail d’enseignant suppléant à l’école secondaire ainsi qu’aux difficultés qu’il éprouvait à obtenir une augmentation de son temps parental. Il a aussi témoigné qu’il éprouvait de la difficulté à se motiver et qu’il se
sentait isolé de sa famille; son soutien lui manquait réellement. Par conséquent, le père a conclu qu’il était préférable qu’il retourne à Saint John. Une fois rendu là, il s’est inscrit à un cours intitulé [TRADUCTION] « Construire l’équilibre », auquel il assistait trois jours par semaine. Il s’est aussi inscrit à des cours de français pour améliorer ses aptitudes langagières.
Il dit que ces programmes l’ont grandement aidé . [par. 45-46] [25] Comme l’a expliqué la juge du procès, les rapports fournis par les spécialistes traitants du père ont convaincu la mère qu’il [TRADUCTION] « était capable d’exercer » plus de temps parental et, en 2018, celui-ci a été augmenté à des visites avec nuitée une fin de semaine sur deux. En appel, le père a demandé l’admission, à
titre de nouveaux éléments de preuve, de parties du rapport qu’il a obtenu d’un psychiatre pour l’aider à revenir à du temps parental plus généreux. Je reviendrai sur ce sujet. [26] En septembre 2018, le père a obtenu un emploi permanent à temps plein auprès du ministère du Développement social à Saint John. [27] Fin 2019, la mère et son conjoint de fait ont eu un fils, un petit frère pour la fille des parties. [28] En mars 2020, la pandémie de la COVID-19 a donné lieu à quelques changements dans le temps parental du père.
En effet, les écoles ayant été fermées pour le reste de l’année scolaire et le père travaillant de la maison une semaine sur deux, fin avril ou début mai 2020, l’enfant a commencé à passer une semaine sur deux avec son père à Saint John. De plus, la mère a commencé à partager le transport en vue du temps que la fille passait avec son père. Les parents se rencontraient à Sussex. Cet arrangement a perduré jusqu’au procès, et les parties ont demandé qu’il fasse
partie de l’ordonnance qui serait rendue, quelle que soit celle d’entre eux qui aurait la majorité du temps parental. [29] L’automne 2020 a fourni des occasions pour du temps parental supplémentaire, mais c’est aussi durant cette période que les conflits sont nés entre les parties. Lorsque le père se trouvait à Moncton pour le travail, il passait plus de temps avec sa fille; en revanche, au procès, il a témoigné que la mère l’avait déraisonnablement empêché d’exercer son temps parental lors de trois fins de semaine, entre octobre et décembre 2020.
La mère a expliqué qu’elle était inquiète de son exposition à la COVID-19 étant donné les déplacements uniques du père à Moncton qui, selon elle, lui faisaient courir un plus grand risque d’exposition, au moment où elle avait un très jeune fils, qui allait avoir un an. Bien qu’elle ait reconnu avoir annulé [TRADUCTION] « pas plus de deux ou trois fins de semaine », elle a déclaré avoir compensé ces annulations en accordant du temps parental supplémentaire au père. [30] Le père a également soutenu au procès qu’il n’avait pas pu exercer son temps parental durant le congé de mars 2021.
La mère a témoigné avoir demandé au père de lui faire part de ses projets pour leur fille durant ce congé et, comme il ne l’a informé d’aucun plan, elle a inscrit leur fille à un camp d’équitation à Memramcook.
La mère a expliqué que, à la fin de la semaine, lorsque le père voulait voir leur fille, celle-ci était trop épuisée pour se rendre à Saint John. [31] Au moment du procès, en septembre 2021, le père travaillait toujours pour le ministère du Développement social à Saint John, mais il a informé la Cour qu’il restait à la recherche d’autres occasions pour travailler dans la région de Moncton. [32] Au procès, la mère a sollicité la majorité du temps parental de même que la charge principale de leur fille à la maison.
Elle a proposé que le temps parental du père reste le même : une fin de semaine sur deux (en les prolongeant pour inclure les jours fériés), une soirée durant un jour de semaine, la moitié de tous les congés et deux semaines supplémentaires pendant l’été. [33] Initialement, le père sollicitait un temps parental conjoint et égal et demandait que l’enfant passe les mois d’été à Saint John; cependant, dans ses observations finales, il a demandé que leur fille vive avec lui à Saint John et qu’il obtienne la majorité du temps parental. [34] Comme je l’ai indiqué ci-dessus, la juge du procès a ordonné que la mère ait la majorité du temps parental, et que celui du père soit essentiellement comme il l’était et comme la mère l’avait proposé, hormis pour le congé estival qui devait être réparti en parts égales entre les parents.
En ce qui a trait aux aliments pour l’enfant, les parties convenaient que leurs revenus aux fins d’application des Lignes directrices pour l’année 2021 étaient de 65 363 $ (pour la mère) et 55 135 $ (pour le père). La juge a fixé les aliments pour l’avenir à 470 $ par mois à compter du 1 er décembre 2021. Elle a en outre rendu une ordonnance alimentaire pour l’enfant rétroactive à janvier 2014, moins une réduction d’un tiers du montant prévu par le tableau des Lignes directrices pour les périodes durant
lesquelles le père a effectué des déplacements. Elle a rejeté la demande de celui-ci qui sollicitait une contribution rétroactive aux frais de déplacement qu’il avait supportés depuis 2012. III.
Questions à trancher en appel [35] Le père fait valoir comme moyens d’appel que la juge du procès a commis des erreurs : 1. en appliquant erronément le critère de l’intérêt supérieur de l’enfant, y compris en sous-estimant l’importance de l’accès du père à l’enfant; 2. en ayant recours de manière inappropriée à l’évaluation psychiatrique préparée dans le contexte de l’emploi d’enseignant du père et en ne tenant pas compte d’un élément de preuve émanant d’un psychiatre autre que celui qui avait procédé à l’évaluation; 3. en traitant inefficacement des occasions où la mère a empêché le père d’avoir accès à l’enfant durant trois fins de semaine à l’automne 2020 ainsi que durant le congé de mars 2021; 4. en ne motivant pas suffisamment sa décision de ne pas [TRADUCTION] « tenir compte de l’entente conclue » entre le père et la mère pour substituer certains frais aux aliments pour l’enfant (entre 2012 et 2016) et en négligeant de tenir compte de l’accord signé en 2016. [36] Le père a déposé une motion pour être autorisé à présenter en appel des éléments de preuve qui, selon lui, sont nouveaux et liés à ses moyens d’appel, nommément des éléments de preuve qui n’ont pas été portés à la connaissance de la juge du procès.
Ces éléments de preuve sont les suivants : 1. un courriel d’un ancien propriétaire de logement à Saint John quant au bail du père entre août 2012 et décembre 2012 (courriel daté de janvier 2022); 2. des notes médicales attestant du fait qu’il a été dirigé à St.
Stephen vers le Réseau de santé Horizon (novembre 2013) à la suite du retour de la mère à Petit-Rocher; 3. un résumé d’un compte d’ Énergie NB pour la période de février 2014 à juillet 2014 pour démontrer le lien de la mère avec le compte pour leur propriété de Saint Andrews; 4. une lettre de son avocat adressée à l’avocat de la mère (datée de juin 2016); 5. des parties de ce que le père a décrit comme le rapport d’évaluation médicale et psychiatrique du D r Arif Bungash, M.D., MDH. (les extraits n’étaient pas datés, mais, selon le père, ils dateraient de novembre 2016); 6. une lettre de Développement social (Protection de l’enfance) confirmant que le dossier de prise en charge du père avait été fermé (datée d’août 2017); 7. une lettre du D r Agbodo, M.D., MDH, relative aux soins donnés au père (datée de septembre 2017); 8. un formulaire d’inscription à un centre d’information sur le droit de la famille rempli par le père ou en son nom (octobre 2020);
9. une impression ou une capture d’écran d’une conversation avec la mère (par l’intermédiaire de Facebook, 8 mars 2021) à propos d’une entrevue pour un poste à Moncton. [37] Tous ces documents existaient avant le procès de septembre 2021 (sauf le courriel obtenu de l’ancien propriétaire du père à propos du bail de 2012, qui aurait pu être obtenu avant le procès), et rien ne justifie de conclure que le père n’y avait pas accès pour s’en servir lors du procès. Pour ce seul motif, rien ne justifie non plus d’admettre ces documents en appel à
titre de nouveaux éléments de preuve.
Qui plus est, dans certains cas, le père ne souhaite faire admettre en preuve que des extraits de documents et, dans d’autres cas, les éléments de preuve n’ont pas d’incidence sur les questions soulevées par les moyens d’appel. [38] Je rejetterais cette motion et j’ajouterais que, même si les documents étaient admis en preuve, ils ne fourniraient aucun fondement pour accueillir quelque moyen d’appel que ce soit. [39] Enfin, avant de me pencher sur les moyens d’appel, je devrais souligner que la mère a choisi de ne pas répondre à l’appel du père ou participer à son instruction.
Dans une lettre adressée à la registraire de la Cour, elle a affirmé n’avoir ni les connaissances ni les fonds pour ce faire, et être occupée à répondre à [TRADUCTION] « l’avis » du père qui cherche à faire modifier la décision portée en appel (devant la Cour du Banc de la Reine), dont l’audition était prévue en février 2022. Lors de l’instruction de l’appel, le père a informé la Cour qu’il avait déménagé à Moncton après le procès. IV. Analyse A.
Les moyens d’appel relatifs au temps parental [40] Bien que le premier moyen d’appel relatif au temps parental fasse valoir que la juge du procès aurait appliqué erronément le critère de l’intérêt supérieur de l’enfant, la position du père se limite à sa prétention qu’elle a agi de la sorte parce qu’elle a sous-estimé l’importance de sa relation avec sa fille. Cela concerne l’exercice d’évaluation et d’appréciation de la preuve mené par la juge.
Ses deuxième et troisième moyens d’appel relatifs au temps parental remettent aussi en question l’évaluation de la preuve par la juge. [41] Avant de me pencher sur chacun de ses moyens d’appel, je souhaite souligner que les arguments formulés par le père devant nous comprenaient des qualifications d’événements qui ne correspondent pas parfaitement à la preuve présentée au procès ou aux conclusions de la juge du procès; cela dit, je ne traite que de ceux dont je dois traiter pour répondre aux questions soulevées par les moyens d’appel.
(1) Sous-estimation de l’importance de l’accès du père [42] En dépit de la portée étroite de ce moyen d’appel, il vaut la peine de préciser que les motifs de décision de la juge du procès mentionnent le critère de [TRADUCTION] « l’intérêt supérieur de l’enfant » de même que les facteurs pertinents pour procéder à l’analyse qui y est rattachée, et ils le font de façon claire, complète et correcte. [43] À mon avis, les motifs de la juge ne laissent pas entendre, même un tant soit peu, qu’elle a sous-estimé la force du lien qui unit le père et sa fille ou l’importance de son rôle dans la vie de cette dernière. [44] L’importance du rôle du père dans la vie de sa fille ressort clairement de la décision de la juge non seulement d’accorder beaucoup de temps parental au père durant l’année scolaire de l’enfant, mais également de répartir en parts égales entre les parents toutes les périodes durant lesquelles l’enfant n’est pas à l’école, y compris le congé estival.
Cela témoigne du rejet de la position de la mère selon laquelle il n’était pas dans l’intérêt supérieur de leur fille qu’elle passe la moitié de ses vacances estivales avec son père. [45] La position du père semble fondée sur l’opinion selon laquelle, parce que la juge a attribué à la mère la majorité du temps parental avec l’enfant, elle a nécessairement dû sous-estimer l’importance de son accès à l’enfant ou du temps qu’il
passe avec elle. Il n’est pas possible de tirer une telle inférence de l’évaluation par la juge de l’intérêt supérieur de leur fille. La décision de confier à la mère la majorité du temps parental, notamment durant l’année scolaire de l’enfant, n’est pas incompatible avec l’importance du temps que l’enfant passe avec son père. L’examen requis de l’intérêt supérieur de l’enfant a compris la prise en compte de nombreux facteurs, et celle par la juge de tous les facteurs pertinents est pleinement exposée dans sa décision.
Quant au rôle qu’a joué la mère depuis la naissance de l’enfant, la juge a affirmé : [TRADUCTION] La preuve établit que la mère a été la pourvoyeuse principale des soins de [la fille des parents] depuis très peu après sa naissance et, à tout le moins, depuis la séparation des parties lorsque [leur fille] avait 18 mois. Elle soutient que le sentiment d’appartenance de [leur fille] a toujours été avec elle. Je suis du même avis.
Même si je suis convaincue que le père est amplement capable de s’occuper de [leur fille], il n’en demeure pas moins que l’enfant a habité avec sa mère, qui en a été la pourvoyeuse principale de soins pendant la majeure
partie de sa vie. De plus, il y a eu une longue période, vers 2017, où le père a subi un important effondrement de sa santé mentale et était, sans que cela soit de sa faute, incapable d’être présent pour prodiguer des soins à l’enfant. Il ne fait aucun doute que les deux parents ont fait preuve d’un dévouement et d’un engagement total relativement à leur rôle parental depuis la naissance de [leur fille] et en ce qui concerne la continuité des soins qui lui ont été donnés. Ils continuent de contribuer leurs forces respectives à chaque étape de son développement.
Malgré ce long litige, il est tout à leur honneur qu’ils aient chacun décrit l’autre comme un très bon parent . […] En ce qui concerne la capacité et la volonté des parties de communiquer et de collaborer à l’égard de questions concernant [leur fille], je suis d’avis que la mère a été beaucoup plus habile que le père à cet égard. La preuve établit que le père a critiqué la mère sans relâche pour avoir déménagé à un endroit autre que celui où il habitait.
Il demeure obsédé par la notion selon laquelle elle a enlevé [leur fille] et a déclaré de façon répétitive qu’elle a contrevenu aux dispositions du Code criminel . Ses courriels et messages textes obsessifs à cet égard, dont des copies ont parfois été envoyées à des tiers, constituent à mon avis des actes de harcèlement et d’intimidation. La mère, tout à son honneur, a pu surmonter ces accusations et rester inébranlablement concentrée sur les questions concernant le bien-être de [leur fille].
Elle n’avait qu’un but en tête : protéger sa santé mentale et son bien-être pour pouvoir élever [leur fille] de manière compétente dans un milieu sûr . S’agissant de questions plus générales et courantes ayant trait à la capacité des parties de collaborer et de communiquer, la preuve établit que le père a souvent été incapable de rester concentré sur [leur fille] dans ses conversations avec la mère. Il digressait souvent dans ses réponses aux questions pertinentes de la mère au sujet de [leur fille].
Par exemple, au lieu de donner une courte réponse à un bref courriel ou message texte, il se lance souvent dans des diatribes répétitives et non pertinentes selon lesquelles elle aurait enfreint la loi ou on aurait porté atteinte à ses droits . […] En attribuant le temps parental qui est énoncé ci-dessous, j’ai tenu compte du droit de [leur fille] de passer avec chacun de ses parents le plus de temps compatible avec son intérêt supérieur et de la distance qui sépare les rési