2020 NBCA 38, 2020 NBCA 38
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 71-19-CA OLIVE LANDRY APPELLANT OLIVE LANDRY APPELANTE - and - - et - ATTORNEY GENERAL OF NEW BRUNSWICK RESPONDENT PROCUREURE GÉNÉRALE DU NOUVEAU- BRUNSWICK INTIMÉE Landry v. Attorney General of New Brunswick, 2020 NBCA 38 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice LaVigne The Honourable Justice LeBlond Landry c.
Procureure générale du Nouveau- Brunswick, 2020 NBCA 38 CORAM: l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge LaVigne l’honorable juge LeBlond Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: June 4, 2019 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : le 4 juin 2019 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: Unreported Décision frappée d’appel : Inédite Preliminary or incidental proceedings: None Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : aucune Appeal heard: February 18, 2020 Appel entendu : le 18 février 2020 Judgment rendered: June 4, 2020 Jugement rendu : le 4 juin 2020
Reasons for judgment by: The Honourable Justice LaVigne Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice LeBlond Counsel at hearing: Olive Landry on her own behalf For the respondent: Jean-François Grégoire Dupuis Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge LaVigne Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge LeBlond Avocats à l’audience : Olive Landry en son propre nom Pour l’intimée : Jean-François Grégoire Dupuis THE COURT The appeal is dismissed with costs of $2,500. LA COUR L’appel est rejeté avec dépens de 2 500 $. Le jugement de la Cour rendu par LA JUGE LAVIGNE I.
Introduction [ 1 ] Par avis de requête, Olive Landry a sollicité de la Cour du Banc de la Reine, une ordonnance déclaratoire lui reconnaissant des droits issus de traités. Elle affirme être une Autochtone à qui sont conférés des droits issus de traités du fait qu’elle est une descendante directe d’un signataire de traités. Deux demandes semblables, présentées à la Cour fédérale en 2012, ainsi qu’une demande d’autorisation d’appel à la Cour suprême ont été refusées.
Ayant conclu que M me Landry « tent[ait] une fois de plus de faire trancher la même question », le juge saisi de la requête a rejeté la demande, pour abus de procédure. M me Landry interjette appel de cette décision. [ 2 ] La question fondamentale que nous devons trancher est celle de savoir si le juge a fait erreur lorsqu’il a conclu que la demande constituait un abus de procédure. Pour les motifs que j’exposerai ci-après, je suis d’avis qu’il faut répondre à cette question par la négative et je reje tterais l’appel. II. Historique Procédural
[ 3 ] Afin de jeter un peu d’éclairage sur la présente affaire, je signalerai certaines autres procédures judiciaires impliquant M me Landry. A. Procédures devant la Cour provinciale [ 4 ] Bien que la décision qui fait l’objet de cet appel a été rendue par un juge de la Cour du Banc de la Reine le 4 juin 2019, cette histoire a commencé devant la Cour provinciale où M me Landry fait l’objet d’une poursuite pour pêche illégale de truite.
Afin de mieux comprendre, il faut consulter un affidavit fait sous serment le 19 février 2019, que M me Landry a déposé à l’appui de sa requête, dans lequel elle déclare : • Être « une indienne Mi’kmaq de la Tribu indienne Mius D’Azy »; que « ses ancêtres ont toujours habité sur le territoire autochtone Mi’Kmaq » et qu’elle est « descendante naturelle directe des membres des tribus Mi’Kmaq ayant signés des traités entre la nation autochtone et la couronne britannique »; • Avoir « été accusé d’avoir, le ou vers le 30 mai 2011, près de Bathurst dans la rivière Népisiguit au Nouveau-Brunswick, pêché illégalement la truite durant la saison de fermeture »; • Avoir « [l]e 4 juillet 2016 […] déposé une demande à la Cour provinciale en vue d’obtenir un arrêt des procédures sous le motif qu’un juge de la Cour provinciale n’a pas la compétence pour statuer sur les droits ancestraux autochtones ou en vertu de traités », mais la demande pour l’arrêt des procédures a été refusée le 14 juillet 2016; • Avoir « déposé un avis d’appel demandant à la Cour du Banc de la Reine […] d’accorder l’arrêt des procédures », mais l’appel a été rejeté « sous motifs que le code criminel ne prévoit pas un droit d’appel pour une décision interlocutoire ». [ 5 ] En ce qui a trait au dossier devant la Cour provinciale, M me Landry avait également déposé, le 17 janvier 2012, un avis de motion dans lequel elle demandait un arrêt temporaire des procédures.
Le 9 novembre 2012, le juge Ronald Leblanc a refusé cette demande: voir Landry c. Ministère public du Nouveau-Brunswick , 2012 NBCP 18 , 397 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 184. Le juge LeBlanc présente l’affaire ainsi : Il s’agit dans l’instance d’une demande pour un arrêt de procédures de la part de Mme Olive Landry et M. Fabien Huard, inculpés séparément d’avoir illégalement pêché la truite durant la période de fermeture de la saison de pêche, une accusation sous l’article 106 des Règlements de pêche des provinces Maritimes et l’
article 78 (
a) de la
Loi sur les pêches du Canada . Mme Landry et M. Huard ne contestent aucunement qu’ils faisaient la pêche. Ils disent, cependant, qu’ils sont autochtones au sens de l’
article 35 de la Loi constitutionnelle de 1982 et donc avaient droit à pêcher la truite en raison de leurs droits ancestraux et en raison de certains traités qui leurs permettent la pêche. La question à savoir s’ils sont, ou s’ils ne sont pas, autochtones peut évidemment être décidée par le tribunal au procès. Les juges de la Cour provinciale sont souvent demandés de trancher ces questions lors des poursuites pour des infractions aux règlements.
Cependant les demandeurs prétendent qu’une telle question devrait être décidée, non par un tribunal chargé de décider la conduite criminelle d’un accusé, mais plutôt par un tribunal plus propice à décider ces controverses, la Cour fédérale du Canada.
C’est pour cette raison qu’ils demandent un arrêt de procédures en Cour provinciale – ils tentent de résoudre le litige en Cour fédérale. [par. 1-3] [ 6 ] Lors de l’audience devant la Cour du Banc de la Reine, M me Landry a dit que le juge Ronald LeBlanc s’est retiré de ce dossier et annulé la décision qu’il avait rendue, et que le tout a recommencé devant le juge Donald LeBlanc, qui a rendu la décision du 14 juillet 2016 mentionnée au par. 4 ci-haut.
Dans ses motifs, le juge saisi de la requête a noté que « [l]e procès n’a toutefois pas encore eu lieu, pour des raisons qui ne sont pas claires et qui ne sont pas dans la preuve » (par. 5).
B. Procédures entamées devant la Cour fédérale [ 7 ] Dans son analyse, le juge de la requête a reconnu que M me Landry a été impliquée dans des procédures devant la Cour fédérale dans le but d’obtenir une reconnaissance de droits découlant de traités, mais que les différentes demandes ont été refusées. Il a résumé et commenté ainsi ces procédures : En février 2012, les membres du conseil autochtone de la Côte-Est, représentés par Mme Landry, déposent une demande de déclaration devant la Cour fédérale.
La demande vise essentiellement une reconnaissance aux requérants des droits découlant de divers traités, dont celui visé par la présente requête, en plus d’une obligation de consultation. La présente requérante est spécifiquement nommée dans la déclaration. Le 19 avril 2012, le protonotaire de la cour émet une ordonnance radiant la déclaration déposée le 24 février 2012 pour vice de procédure, sous réserve de pouvoir déposer une déclaration amendée, ce qui a été fait le 1 er mai 2012.
Le17 juillet 2012, le protonotaire accueille une demande de radiation de la déclaration amendée au motif qu’elle ne révèle aucune cause d’action valable. Cette fois-ci, il s’agit donc d’une décision sur le fond puisque les allégations, même si elles s’avéraient fondées, ne satisfont pas les critères établis dans les arrêts Powley et Hopper , précités. Les critères non rencontrés sont ceux de l’auto-identification et de l’acceptation par la communauté. Un appel est porté, uniquement sur la question des dépens, et est rejeté.
Le 13 septembre 2012, une nouvelle déclaration est déposée par Olive Landry et Michelle Landry, en leur nom et au nom des Membres du Conseil Autochtone de la Côte-Est. La déclaration demande essentiellement la même chose que celle de février 2012. Le 9 novembre 2012, le protonotaire radie cette nouvelle déclaration, puisqu’il s’agit essentiellement la même que celle qui a déjà été tranchée. Les demandeurs déposent une requête afin d’annuler la décision du protonotaire. Le 22 février 2013, le juge Boivîn de la Cour fédérale, lors d’une audience de novo , rejette la requête des demandeurs.
Le 1er août 2013, la juge Gagné de la Cour fédérale accueille l’appel des demandeurs et annule la décision du protonotaire. Le Procureur général du Canada porte cette décision en appel. Le 10 septembre 2014, la Cour d’appel fédérale accueille l’appel et rétablit la décision du protonotaire. Elle précise qu'il y a forclusion et abus de procédure. Mme Landry et d’autres ont déposé une demande d’autorisation d’appel auprès de la Cour Suprême du Canada, qui leur a été refusée.
Des dépens de plus de 11 000 $ ont été octroyés au Procureur général du canada, mais n’ont jamais été payés. [par. 25-35] [ 8 ] En résumé, il y a deux dossiers devant la Cour fédérale qui sont pertinents à la présente affaire, soit le dossier T-420-12 et le dossier T-1692-12. Une première déclaration fut déposée par les demandeurs le 24 février 2012 (dossier T-420-12). Ces derniers souhaitaient se faire reconnaître à
titre d’Indiens non inscrits et membres d’une communauté Mi’kmaq distincte. De plus, ils revendiquaient une reconnaissance en tant que titulaires de droits issus de traités, de droits ancestraux, et de titres partagés sur le territoire du Nouveau-Brunswick, de la Nouvelle-Écosse, de l’Île-du-Prince-Édouard et du Québec. En date du 13 septembre 2012, ils ont déposé une seconde déclaration (dossier T-1692-12), laquelle contenait les mêmes revendications et ajoutait des faits supplémentaires.
[ 9 ] Le protonotaire Morneau dans une décision datée du 17 juillet 2012 (décision inédite au dossier T-420-12) ordonne la radiation de la procédure sans possibilité d’amendement.
Il explique ainsi l’argumentation principale au dossier et les raisons qui ont motivé sa décision : L’argumentation principale des demandeurs est: qu’ils sont des descendants d’un autochtone micmac, frère de signataires de traités; que leurs ancêtres ont vécu sur des territoires micmac; que les membres du CACE pratiquent la pêche, la chasse et la cueillette; et, qu’en conséquence, ils sont des Indiens, membres d’une communauté actuelle micmac distincte des bandes indiennes micmac reconnues dans l’Atlantique et en Gaspésie, détenteurs de droits tels que revendiqués.
Or, ces allégations ne sont pas suffisantes en soi pour rencontrer les critères établis par la Cour suprême du Canada dans R. c. Powley et repris par la Cour d’appel du Nouveau-Brunswick dans R. c. Hopper pour déterminer si un individu est un autochtone (Indien) au sens de l’
article 35 de la Loi constitutionnelle de 1982 , et donc bénéficiaire des droits qui y sont enchâssés. Les allégations factuelles des demandeurs ne rencontrent tout simplement pas deux des trois facteurs constitutifs du critère de l’appartenance des demandeurs à une communauté actuelle concernée énoncé dans l’arrêt Powley soit : l’auto-identification et l’acceptation par la communauté. [par. 14-16] [Souligné dans l’original.] [ 10 ] Cette décision, qui avait été annulée par la juge Gagné, a été rétablie par la Cour d’appel fédérale le 10 septembre 2014 (voir Landry c.
Canada (Procureur général) , 2014 CAF 197 , [2014] A.C.F. n o 938 (QL)), et le 9 avril 2015, la Cour suprême a refusé une demande d’autorisation d’appel (voir Landry c. Canada (Procureur général ) , [2014] C .S.C.R. n o 564 (QL)). [ 11 ] Avant de passer à la prochaine rubrique, je note que dans la décision du 9 novembre 2012 du juge Ronald LeBlanc, ce dernier avait résumé les procédures tenues jusqu’alors devant la Cour fédérale (par. 13-23) et s’était arrêté spécifiquement à la décision du protonotaire Morneau du 17 juillet 2012 (par. 20). C.
Procédure entamée devant la Cour du Banc de la Reine [ 12 ] En 2017, M me Landry entame le pr ésent dossier en Cour du Banc de la Reine. Dans son avis de requête modifiée, elle sollicite les recours suivants :
a) Une ordonnance déclaratoire à l’effet que la Cour Provinciale n’a pas la compétence requise pour statuer sur un dossier impliquant des droits autochtones ou des droits en vertu des Traités;
b) La procédure habituelle relative à l’identification des individus bénéficiaires de droits issus de traités soit déclarée inconstitutionnelle c’est-à-dire les critères énoncés dans la
Loi sur les Indiens [L.R.C. 1985, ch. I-5 ] et ceux dans l’affaire R. c. Powley [ 2003 CSC 43 ] ;
c) La requérante demande une ordonnance qui confirme son statut en tant que bénéficiaire (détentrice) des droits inhérents de traités invoqués dans le présent dossier[.] […] [ 13 ] Le juge saisi de la requête la rejette dans son ensemble et condamne M me Landry à des dépens de 3 500 $, plus TVH et débours admissibles. M me Landry se représentait seule devant la Cour du Banc de la Reine, ainsi que devant nous. III. Moyens d’Appel [ 14 ] Dans son Avis d’appel, M me Landry expose comme suit ses moyens d’appel:
1. [L]e juge de première instance a erré en droit en radiant la demande de statut de bénéficiaire de traité de la requête en concluant que celle-ci constitue un abus de procédures (paragraphe 39)[;] 2. Le juge de première instance a erré en droit en tirant des conclusions juridiques sur le fond de la requête après avoir avisé la requérante du contraire lors de l’audience.
L’équité procédurale a donc été violée[;] 3. [L]e juge de première instance a erré en droit lorsqu’il a pris une décision touchant les droits relatifs aux traités revendiqués, touchant ainsi au fond de la demande, sans avoir admis les traités en preuve officiellement et sans avoir écouter les arguments des parties à cet effet. L’équité procédurale a donc été violée. [ 15 ] Toutefois, dans son mémoire, elle énonce ainsi les questions en litige : A. Le juge de première instance a-t-il erré en droit lorsqu’il a conclu que la Cour provinciale, par voie de procédure
sommaire, a la compétence d’entendre les matières de droit en vertu des traités invoqués par l’appelante? B. Le juge a-t-il erré en droit en concluant que les critères de l’affaire Powley et non ceux de l’affaire Chevrier devraient s’appliquer dans la demande de statut de bénéficiaire de traité de la requérante? C. Le juge a-t-il erré en droit lorsqu’il a conclu que la demande de la requérante relative au statut de bénéficiaire de traité constitue un abus des procédures ? D. Est-ce que le juge de première instance a fait preuve de partialité et d’iniquité ? E.
Existe-t-il un conflit d’intérêt dans la présente cause ? [ 16 ] Dans son mémoire, la Procureure générale rétorque que quatre des cinq questions en litige ne se trouvent pas parmi les moyens d’appel mentionnés, qu’une telle pratique va à l’encontre de la Règle 62.09 et, que par conséquent, les questions additionnelles ne devraient pas être traitées par la Cour. Au début de l’audience, elle a soulevé une question préliminaire en soutenant que seule la question « C » faisait
partie des moyens d’appel que M me Landry a mentionnés dans son avis d’appel et elle s’opposait à ce que les autres questions soient examinées. Nous lui avons donné raison. Selon la Règle 62.09(2) des Règles de procédure « l’appelant ne peut invoquer un motif d’appel qui n’est pas mentionné dans l’avis d’appel principal ou additionnel », à moins « qu’il n’en reçoive la permission sur motion à la Cour d’appel ou à un juge de la Cour d’appel ». À défaut d’une modification des moyens d’appel, la Cour doit s’abstenir d’en tenir compte : La Ministre des Services familiaux et communautaires c.
L.J.B. et R.D.; A.B. et D.B. , 2008 NBCA 21 , 327 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 190, par. 4 . Voir également Sinclair c. Dines, 2005 NBCA 15 , 279 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 227, par. 7 . [ 17 ] Aucune motion en modification n’a été présentée et à l’audience, M me Landry a confirmé qu’elle procédait avec les trois moyens mentionnés dans son avis d’appel. Les nouvelles questions énoncées auraient élargi de beaucoup les moyens invoqués et nous étions d’avis qu’en l’espèce, il n’était pas dans l’intérêt de la justice d’accueillir ces nouveaux moyens.
Compte tenu des limites imposées par la Règle 62.09, je n’examinerai que les moyens que M me Landry a mentionnés dans son avis d’appel. [ 18 ] En résumé, M me Landry sollicitait trois ordonnances déclaratoires de la Cour du Banc de la Reine, soit : 1. une ordonnance déclarant que la Cour provinciale n’avait pas la compétence requise pour statuer sur un dossier impliquant des droits autochtones ou des droits en vertu de traités; 2. une ordonnance déclarant inconstitutionnelle la procédure habituelle suivie pour déterminer si une personne est un Autochtone et
ainsi investie de droits issus de traités, 3. une ordonnance déclaratoire lui reconnaissant des droits issus de traités. [ 19 ] Le juge saisi de la requête a refusé les trois demandes. Dans ses moyens d’appel, M me Landry s’en prend à une seule des trois décisions du juge, soit celle refusant sa troisième demande.
Le rejet par le juge des deux autres demandes n’a pas été porté en appel et donc je m’abstiendrai de les examiner. [ 20 ] M me Landry avance que le juge a commis une erreur lorsqu’il a conclu que sa demande recherchant une ordonnance déclaratoire lui reconnaissant des droits issus de traités constituait un abus de procédure. Seulement cette décision sera examinée. Les deux autres moyens d’appel invoqués, soit que l’équité procédurale a été violée et que les traités n’ont pas été admis en preuve, seront également examinés, mais uniquement en ce qu’ils ont trait à la décision portée en appel. IV.
Analyse et décision A. Premier moyen d’appel - Abus de procédure [ 21 ] Le juge saisi de la requête a-t-il commis une erreur en concluant que la demande de M me Landry, recherchant une déclaration lui reconnaissant des droits issus de traités, constituait un abus de procédure? 1.
Norme de contrôle [ 22 ] La question de savoir si l’introduction d’une procédure judiciaire particulière constitue un abus de procédure est une question mixte de fait et de droit que le tribunal doit trancher en exerçant son pouvoir discrétionnaire et la décision rendue ne doit pas être modifiée à moins qu’une erreur manifeste et dominante n’ait été commise : Miramichi Lumber Products Inc. et autre c. Province du Nouveau-Brunswick, représentée par le Ministère du développement de l’énergie et des ressources et autres , 2019 NBCA 61 , [2019] A.N-B n o 202 (QL), la juge d’appel Quigg au nom de la Cour, au par. 15.
Les questions mixtes de droit et de fait exigent la déférence, tant qu’il n’y a pas de question de droit isolable, auquel cas la norme est celle de la décision correcte. 2. La doctrine de l’abus de procédure [ 23 ] Devant le juge de la Cour du Banc de la Reine, la Procureure générale soutenait que la demande de M me Landry visait le même recours qui avait été sollicité et rejeté à deux reprises en Cour fédérale, et avançait que la Cour devait la rejeter sur la base de son pouvoir inhérent d’empêcher l’abus de procédure.
M me Landry faisait valoir qu’il n’y avait jamais eu de décision sur le fond et la règle de l’abus de procédure ne devait donc pas s’appliquer. Les parties ont répété les mêmes arguments lors de l’audience. [ 24 ] La doctrine de l’abus de procédure pour remise en cause a été énoncée par la Cour suprême dans l’arrêt Toronto (Ville) c. Syndicat canadien de la fonction publique (S.C.F.P.),
section locale 79 , 2003 CSC 63 , [2003] 3 R.C.S. 77, et appliquée par le juge d’appel Richard (tel était alors son titre) dans l’affaire Forsythe c. Furlotte , 2016 NBCA 6 , 447 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 48. La doctrine s’applique dans des contextes juridiques divers, découle du pouvoir discrétionnaire inhérent du tribunal d’empêcher les abus de procédure qui auraient pour effet de discréditer l’administration de la justice et vise essentiellement à préserver l’intégrité du système judiciaire.
Il s’agit d’une doctrine souple qui ne s’encombre pas d’exigences particulières de la common law comme la préclusion découlant d’une question déjà tranchée.
Comme le faisait remarquer la juge Arbour, dans Toronto (Ville) , au nom d’une Cour suprême unanime sur ce point : [...] les tribunaux canadiens ont appliqué la doctrine de l’abus de procédure pour empêcher la réouverture de litiges dans des circonstances où les exigences strictes de la préclusion découlant d’une question déjà tranchée (généralement les exigences de lien de droit et de réciprocité) n’étaient pas remplies, mais où la réouverture aurait néanmoins porté atteinte aux principes d’économie, de cohérence, de caractère définitif des instances et d’intégrité de l’administration de la justice. [...] [par. 37]
3. Analyse [ 25 ] Pour déterminer si la demande de M me Landry constituait un abus de procédure, le juge a d’abord entrepris de cerner la nature de la question soulevée en faisant référence aux procédures devant la Cour fédérale. Il a appliqué le critère approprié pour déterminer si la demande de M me Landry constituait un abus de procédure et a cité la jurisprudence pertinente dont la décision de notre Cour dans Forsythe , ainsi que celle de la Cour suprême dans Toronto (Ville ), l’arrêt de principe en ce qui concerne la doctrine de l’abus de procédure pour remise en cause.
Il a correctement reconnu que la doctrine de l’abus de procédure est plus souple que le principe de l’autorité de la chose jugée. Il s’est dit d’avis que la Cour fédérale avait rendu une décision sur le fond. Il a terminé son analyse ainsi : « J’estime que la requérante, ayant épuisé à deux reprises ses recours devant la Cour Fédérale et ses niveaux d’appels, tente une fois de plus de faire trancher la même question, c’est-à-dire son statut comme bénéficiaire de droits découlant des traités » (par. 38).
Il a conclu que la demande constituait un abus de procédure et a exercé son pouvoir discrétionnaire de la rejeter. [ 26 ] Comme le soulignait la juge Arbour dans Toronto (Ville ) : « Il existe de nombreuses circonstances où l’interdiction de la remise en cause, qu’elle découle de l’autorité de la chose jugée ou de la doctrine de l’abus de procédure, serait source d’in[i]quité » (par. 53).
Toutefois, en l’espèce, rien de tel n’a été avancé et rien n’indique que de telles circonstances étaient présentes. [ 27 ] Dans son mémoire, M me Landry reconnaît que « [l]’objectif principal de la requête devant la Cour du Banc de la Reine vis[ait] à faire reconnaître les droits de traités revendiqués par [elle-même], dont celui de la pêche ». [ 28 ] Récemment, dans l’affaire R. c. Lamb , 2020 NBCA 22 , [2020] A.N-B n o 81 (QL), le juge d’appel Green, au nom de la Cour, a réitéré les critères énoncés dans l’arrêt R. c.
Powley , 2003 CSC 43 , [2003] 2 R.C.S. 207, qui sont utilisés par les tribunaux pour déterminer si une personne est une Autochtone et ainsi investie de droits issus de traités, comme prévu par l’ art. 35 de la Loi constitutionnelle de 1982 : soit (1) l’auto identification; (2) la preuve de l’existence de liens ancestraux; et (3) l’acceptation par la communauté actuelle. [ 29 ] M me Landry a déjà tenté sans succès d’obtenir de la Cour fédérale une déclaration lui reconnaissant des droits issus de traités. Ayant considéré la preuve et les critères énoncés dans les affaires Powley et Hopper c.
R. , 2008 NBCA 42 , 331 N.B.-R. (2 e ) 177 , la Cour fédérale a conclu que les membres du conseil autochtone de la Côte-Est, dont fait
partie M me Landry, ne rencontraient pas deux des trois critères soit: l’auto-identification et l’acceptation de la communauté. Une deuxième demande au nom des mêmes demandeurs recherchant la même chose a également été rejetée et une demande d ’ autorisation d ’ en appeler à la Cour suprême a été refusée. 4. Conclusion [ 30 ] La conclusion tirée par le juge saisi de la requête selon laquelle la demande de M me Landry constituait un abus de procédure est appuyée par la preuve au dossier et est en harmonie avec la jurisprudence applicable. Cette décision n’est entachée d’aucune erreur et commande la déférence.
En conséquence, je rejetterais ce moyen d’appel. B. Deuxième et troisième moyens d’appel - L’admission en preuve des traités et l’équité procédurale [ 31 ] Enfin, il me paraît indiqué d ’ aborder les deux autres moyens d ’ appel ensemble, puisqu ’ à mon sens ils sont liés. En substance, M me Landry avance que le juge de la requête a commis une erreur, car il n’a pas admis en preuve les traités qu’elle a invoqués et parce qu’il a rendu une décision sur le fond de la question sans avoir donné aux parties l’occasion de se faire entendre.
Vu ma conclusion que le juge n’a pas commis d’erreur en rejetant la demande de M me Landry sur le fondement de l’abus de procédure, ces deux erreurs alléguées, même si elles étaient prises pour avérées, seraient sans conséquence en l’espèce. Tout de même, je les aborderai brièvement. 1. L’admission en preuve des traités [ 32 ] M me Landry soutient que le juge de la requête a commis une erreur puisqu’il « a pris une décision touchant les droits relatifs
aux traités revendiqués […] sans avoir admis les traités en preuve officiellement ». Cet argument peut être repoussé
sommairement. À l’appui de sa requête, M me Landry a déposé un dossier qui inclut un affidavit avec plusieurs pièces ann exées, dont les six traités qu’elle invoquait, identifiés sous les cotes « 3J » à « 3O ». Quoique la Procureure générale se soit prononcée contre l’introduction en preuve de certains documents, elle ne s’est pas opposée à l’admission en preuve des traités.
Elle a plutôt contesté leur valeur probante, alléguant que ceux-ci, ainsi que d’autres documents que M me Landry avait joints à son affidavit, constituaient des documents historiques dont la valeur probante était négligeable en l’absence de témoignage d’expert qualifié et de la trame factuelle et contextuelle nécessaire.
Les traités n’ont pas été radiés du dossier. [ 33 ] Dans son mémoire, à l ’ appui de sa prétention selon laquelle les traités n’ont pas été « admis […] en preuve officiellement », M me Landry signale que « [s]ur la page couverture [de la transcription de l’audience de la requête] on peut voir la mention “Nil.” dans la
section “pièces en preuves” ». En outre, lors de l’audience, en évoquant la Règle 54.04(1) qui stipule que lors d’un procès « [l]es pièces sont cotées consécutivement », elle fait valoir qu’en l’espèce, puisque le juge n’a pas coté les traités, ils n’ont pas été reçus en preuve « officiellement ». Je ne suis pas d’accord.
Lorsqu’il s’agit de pièces jointes à un affidavit versé au dossier d’une requête, il n’est pas nécessaire lors de l’audience de la requête, de déposer les pièces séparément et de leur donner une cote, comme le veut la procédure lors d’un procès. [ 34 ] Toutefois, afin d’éviter toute ambiguïté, il est de bonne pratique, qu’un juge saisi d’une requête ou d’une motion, verbalise expressément et clairement, les paragraphes et les pièces radiés de la preuve, avec de courts motifs expliquant les circonstances qui dictent de le faire.
En l’espèce, le juge a procédé selon cette pratique lorsqu’il a indiqué qu’il radiait, entre autres, les pièces «1A», «1B», «2T», «2Y» et «2Z» (mentionnées aux par. 8-10), ainsi que les par. 21, 22 et 23 de l’affidavit. Le juge a accepté en preuve les traités mentionnés au par. 7 de l’affidavit qui sont demeurés au dossier de la Cour, identifiés consécutivement par Mme Landry sous les cotes «3J» à «3O». 2.
L’équité procédurale [ 35 ] Dans ses moyens d’appel, M me Landry fait valoir que le juge de la requête a tiré « des conclusions juridiques sur le fond », plus spécifiquement en ce qui a trait à la décision portée en appel, il « a pris une décision touchant les droits relatifs aux traités revendiqués, touchant ainsi au fond de la demande », alors qu’il ne devait qu’examiner une question préliminaire, à savoir si la demande devait être rejetée pour abus de procédure.
Elle avance que son droit à l’équité procédurale n’a pas été respecté du fait que le juge a rendu une décision sur le fond, sans lui avoir fourni l’occasion de se faire entendre, alors qu’il avait avisé les parties qu’il rendrait une décision sur la question de l’abus de procédure en premier, et par la suite si nécessaire, il entendrait les arguments des parties sur le fond. [ 36 ] La question de l’équité procédurale ne fait intervenir aucune norme de contrôle déférente.
La loi exige que les règles de l’équité procédurale soient respectées : Sa Majesté la Reine du chef du Nouveau-Brunswick, représentée par le ministre de l’Éducation c. Kennedy et autres , 2015 NBCA 58, [2015] A.N.-B. n o 251 (QL) , le juge en chef Drapeau (tel était alors son titre) par. 14. [ 37 ] Un des principes fondamentaux de notre système accusatoire veut qu’une
partie ait le droit d’être entendue pleinement avant qu’un tribunal ne rende une décision définitive dans une cause qui l’implique (voir Glaspy c. Glaspy , 2011 NBCA 101 , 381 R.N.-B (2 e ) 137, au par. 4 ; F.Y. c. R. , 2011 NBCA 86 , 378 R.N.-B (2 e ) 37; et Commission des services d ’ a ide juridique du Nouveau-Brunswick c. Comeau et Comeau , 2009 NBCA 78 , 351 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 269). [ 38 ] Cette règle est si fondamentale dans notre droit, qu’il n’est pas nécessaire d’en faire une longue démonstration. Dans l’affaire Syndicat canadien de la fonction publique,
section locale 821 c. Réseau de santé Vitalité (Zone 1B) , 2015 NBCA 3 , 429 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 158, le juge en chef Drapeau l’exprimait ainsi : « Selon la common law, la justice naturelle s’articule autour de deux règles de base : la règle audi alteram partem , suivant laquelle les parties ont le droit d’être entendues pour faire valoir, selon le cas, leurs moyens de défense ou leur point de vue, et la règle nemo judex in sua causa , selon laquelle chaque
partie a le droit d’être traitée avec impartialité et sans préjugé […] » (par. 39). [ 39 ] Je conviens avec M me Landry que la question prise en délibéré par le juge saisi de la requête était celle de savoir si la demande devait être rejetée pour abus de procédure. La Procureure générale s’opposait à ce que la Cour examine la demande de M me Landry sur le fond. Le juge a donc entendu les plaidoiries orales des parties concernant l’abus de procédure seulement, avisant les parties qu’il entendrait leurs argumentations sur le fond, si nécessaire, par la suite.
Puisqu’il a refusé la demande après avoir conclu à l’abus de procédure, ceci réglait cette question de façon définitive, et il n’était plus nécessaire d’entendre les parties sur le fond de la demande.
[ 40 ] Toutefois, après avoir rejeté la demande de M me Landry pour abus de procédure, le juge a ajouté ce qui suit : « Si je devais faire erreur sur ce point, il n’en demeure pas moins que […] [M me Landry] se devait de satisfaire les critères adoptés dans l’arrêt Powley et n’a pas présenté de preuve pour le faire, comme lors de la déclaration devant la Cour fédérale.
La requête devrait donc être rejetée ». [ 41 ] Je conviens avec M me Landry que le juge de la requête ne devait pas se prononcer sur le fond de l’affaire, incluant les questions de savoir si elle devait satisfaire aux critères adoptés dans l’arrêt Powley et si elle les avait satisfaits, sans avoir donné aux parties l’occasion de se faire entendre sur le fond. Dans l’affaire C.D.J. c. H.R. , 2020 NBCA 5 , [2020] A.N.-B. n o 17 (QL) , notre Cour a annulé la décision du juge saisi de la motion, puisque aucune
partie n’avait été entendue sur le fond de la motion (par. 19). [ 42 ] Je suis d’avis néanmoins que les observations du juge de la requête sont sans conséquence, puisque au final il a conclu à bon droit, que la demande devait être rejetée pour abus de procédure. Il s’agissait d’une question préjudicielle déterminante qui tranchait l’affaire; les autres questions sur le fond perdaient toute portée pratique.
Les parties s’étaient fait entendre sur cette question et le juge a rendu une décision définitive, qui ne nécessitait pas qu’il se penche sur le fond de l’affaire ou sur les arguments des parties portant sur les traités invoqués. Les observations incidentes du juge saisi de la requête n’entachent pas sa décision de rejeter la demande pour abus de procédure. Je rejetterais ces deux derniers moyens d’appel. V. Dispositif [ 43 ] Je suis d’avis de rejeter l’appel avec dépens de 2 500 $ en faveur de la Procureure générale. English version of the judgment of the Court delivered by LAVIGNE, J.A. I.
Introduction [1] By Notice of Application, Olive Landry applied to the Court of Queen’s Bench for an order declaring that she is the holder of treaty rights. She claims that she is an Aboriginal person who is afforded treaty rights by virtue of being a direct descendant of a treaty signatory. Two similar applications brought before the Federal Court in 2012 as well as an application for leave to appeal to the Supreme Court were dismissed. Having found that Ms.
Landry [TRANSLATION] “[was] once again attempting to have the same issue adjudicated,” the application judge dismissed the application for abuse of process. Ms. Landry appeals that decision. [2] The fundamental issue before this Court is whether the judge erred in concluding that the application was an abuse of process. For the reasons that follow, I am of the opinion that this question must be answered in the negative and I would dismiss the appeal . II. Procedural History [3] In order to shed some light on this matter, I shall mention some other legal proceedings involving Ms. Landry. A.
Proceedings brought before the Provincial Court
[4] Although the decision which is the subject of this appeal was rendered by a judge of the Court of Queen’ s Bench on June 4, 2019, this matter began before the Provincial Court, where Ms. Landry is being prosecuted for illegal trout fishing. To gain a fuller understanding, it is necessary to refer to an affidavit sworn on February 19, 2019, which Ms. Landry filed in support of her application.
In that affidavit, she deposed that: • She is [TRANSLATION] “a Mi’kmaq Indian of the Mius D’Azy Indian Tribe”; that [TRANSLATION] “her ancestors have always lived on Mi’kmaq Aboriginal territory” and that she is [TRANSLATION] “a direct natural descendant of members of the Mi’kmaq tribes who signed treaties between the Aboriginal nation and the British Crown”; • She was [TRANSLATION] “charged with having, on or about May 30, 2011, in the Nepisiguit River, near Bathurst, New Brunswick, illegally fished for trout during the close time”; • She [TRANSLATION] “filed an application before the Provincial Court on July 4, 2016, for a stay of proceedings on the ground that a judge of the Provincial Court does not have jurisdiction to adjudicate Aboriginal or treaty rights”, but the application for a stay was dismissed on July 14, 2016; • She [TRANSLATION] “filed a Notice of Appeal asking the Court of Queen’s Bench [...] to grant the stay of proceedings,” but the appeal was dismissed [TRANSLATION] “on the ground that the Criminal Code does not provide for a right of appeal from interlocutory decisions”. [5] With respect to the matter before the Provincial Court, Ms.
Landry had also filed a Notice of Motion on January 17, 2012, in which she moved for a temporary stay of proceedings. On November 9, 2012, Ronald LeBlanc J. denied the motion: see Landry v. Attorney General of New Brunswick , 2012 NBPC 18 , 397 N.B.R. (2d) 184 . LeBlanc J. presented the case as follows: [TRANSLATION] This is a motion for a stay of proceedings presented by Mrs. Olive Landry and Mr. Fabien Huard, who were charged separately with having illegally fished for trout during the close time of the fishing season, an offence under s. 106 of the Maritimes Provinces Fishery Regulations and s. 78 (
a) of the Fisheries Act of Canada . Mrs. Landry and Mr. Huard do not dispute the fact that they were fishing. They say however that they are Aboriginal persons within the meaning of s. 35 of the Constitution Act, 1982 and therefore were entitled to fish for trout because of their Aboriginal rights and because of certain treaties that allow them to fish. Whether or not they are Aboriginal persons can obviously be decided by the court hearing the trial. Judges of the Provincial Court are often asked to decide these questions in cases of prosecutions for violations of regulations.
Nevertheless, the plaintiffs contend that such questions should be decided, not by the court that must rule on an accused’s criminal conduct, but rather by a court better apt at deciding these controversial issues: the Federal Court of Canada. This is why they are seeking a stay of proceedings at the Provincial Court level - - they want the issue decided at the Federal Court level. [paras. 1-3] [6] At the hearing before the Court of Queen’s Bench, Ms.
Landry said Ronald LeBlanc J. withdrew from the case and vacated the decision he had issued, and that the whole matter recommenced before Donald LeBlanc J., who rendered the July 14, 2016, decision mentioned in para. 4 above. In his reasons, the application judge noted that [TRANSLATION] “for reasons that are unclear and are not found in the evidence, the trial has however not yet taken place” (para. 5). B. Proceedings brought before the Federal Court [7] In his analysis, the application judge acknowledged that Ms.
Landry had been involved in proceedings before the Federal Court in which she was seeking recognition of her treaty rights, but that the various applications had been dismissed. He summarized and commented on these proceedings as follows:
[TRANSLATION] In February 2012, the members of the Conseil Autochtone de la Côte-Est , represented by Ms. Landry, filed an application for a declaration in Federal Court. Essentially, the application sought recognition of the applicants’ rights under various treaties, including the one at issue in this application, in addition to a duty to consult. This applicant is specifically named in the Statement of Claim .
On April 19, 2012, the Prothonotary of the Court issued an order striking out the Statement of Claim filed on February 24, 2012, for procedural defect, subject to the possibility of filing an amended Statement of Claim , which was done on May 1, 2012. On July 17, 2012, the Prothonotary granted an application to strike out the amended Statement of Claim on the ground that it did not disclose a reasonable cause of action. This time, it is therefore a decision on the merits since the allegations, even if they turn out to be founded, do not meet the tests set out in Powley and Hopper , supra .
The criteria that were not met are those of self-identification and community acceptance. An appeal was brought, solely on the issue of costs. It was dismissed. On September 13, 2012, Olive Landry and Michelle Landry filed a new Statement of Claim , on their own behalf and on behalf of the Members of the Conseil Autochtone de la Côte-Est . Essentially, the Statement of Claim requested the same thing as that of February 2012. On November 9, 2012, the Prothonotary struck out this new Statement of Claim , since it was essentially the same as the one already adjudicated.
The plaintiffs filed an application to set aside the Prothonotary’s decision. On February 22, 2013, Boivin J., of the Federal Court, dismissed the plaintiffs’ application at a de novo hearing. On August 1, 2013, Gagné J., of the Federal Court, allowed the plaintiffs’ appeal and set aside the Prothonotary’s decision. The Attorney General of Canada appealed that decision. On September 10, 2014, the Federal Court of Appeal allowed the appeal and restored the Prothonotary’s decision, specifying that its decision was based on the grounds of estoppel and abuse of process. Ms.
Landry and others filed an application for leave to appeal to the Supreme Court of Canada. The application was dismissed . Costs in excess of $11,000.00 were awarded to the Attorney General of Canada, but were never paid. [paras. 25-35] [8] In
summary, there are two cases before the Federal Court that are relevant to this case, namely court file T-420-12 and court file T-1692-12. The applicants filed a first Statement of Claim on February 24, 2012 (court file T-420-12). The applicants were seeking recognition as non-status Indians and members of a distinct Mi’kmaq community. In addition, they were seeking recognition as holders of treaty rights, Aboriginal rights and shared title over the territory of New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island and Quebec.
On September 13, 2012, they filed a second Statement of Claim (court file T-1692-12), which contained the same claims and added additional facts. [9] In a decision dated July 17, 2012 (unreported decision in court file T-420-12), Prothonotary Morneau ordered that the proceedings be struck out with no possibility of amendment. He explained the main argument in the matter and the reasons for his decision as follows: [TRANSLATION]
The plaintiffs’ main argument is that they are descendants of an Aboriginal Mi’kmaq man, brother of treaty signatories; that their ancestors lived on Mi’kmaq territories; that the members of the CACE fish , hunt and gather; and that, as a result, they are Indians, members of a modern Mi’kmaq community distinct from the Mi’kmaq Indian bands recognized in Atlantic Canada and the Gaspé Peninsula, holders of the rights as claimed. However, in and of themselves, these allegations are not sufficient to meet the test articulated by the Supreme Court of Canada in R. v.
Powley and reiterated by the New Brunswick Court of Appeal in R. v. Hopper for determining whether an individual is an Aboriginal (Indian) person within the meaning of
section 35 of the Constitution Act, 1982 , and therefore a beneficiary of the rights enshrined therein. The plaintiffs’ factual allegations simply do not meet two of the three factors of the Powley test for membership in a relevant contemporary community: self-identification and community acceptance . [paras. 14-16] [Emphasis in original.] [10] This decision, which had been set aside by Gagné J., was restored by the Federal Court of Appeal on September 10, 2014 (see Landry v. Canada (Procureur général) , 2014 FCA 197 , [2014] F.C.J.
No. 938 (QL)) and, on April 9, 2015, the Supreme Court dismissed an application for leave to appeal (see Landry v. Canada (Attorney General ) , [2014] S.C.C.A. No. 564 (QL)). [11] Before moving on to the next topic, I note that in his decision of November 9, 2012, Ronald LeBlanc J. summarized the proceedings held, until then, before the Federal Court (paras. 13-23) and focussed specifically on Prothonotary Morneau’s decision of July 17, 2012 (para. 20). C. Proceedings brought before the Court of Queen’s Bench [12] In 2017, Ms. Landry brought this case before the Court of Queen’s Bench.
In her amended Notice of Application, she sought the following remedies: [TRANSLATION]
a) A declaratory order to the effect that the Provincial Court does not have the requisite jurisdiction to adjudicate on a case involving Aboriginal or treaty rights;
b) The usual procedure for identifying beneficiaries of treaty rights be declared unconstitutional, i.e. the criteria prescribed in the Indian Act [R.S.C. 1985, c. I-5 ] and those set out in R. v. Powley , [2003 SCC 43] ;
c) The applicant seeks an order confirming her status as a beneficiary (holder) of the inherent treaty rights claimed in this case [.] [...] [13] The judge dismissed the application in its entirety and awarded costs against Ms. Landry in the amount of $3,500 plus HST and allowable disbursements. Ms. Landry represented herself before the Court of Queen’s Bench and before us. III. Grounds of Appeal [14] In her Notice of Appeal, Ms. Landry sets out her grounds of appeal as follows:
[TRANSLATION] 1. The trial judge erred in law by striking out the request for treaty beneficiary status from the application by concluding that it was an abuse of process (paragraph 39)[;] 2. The trial judge erred in law by making legal findings on the merits of the application after informing the applicant to the contrary at the hearing. Procedural fairness was therefore breached[;] 3.
The trial judge erred in law when he made a decision affecting the treaty rights claimed, thereby addressing the merits of the claim, without formally admitting the treaties into evidence and without having heard the arguments of the parties to that effect. Procedural fairness was therefore breached. [15] However, in her brief, she couched the issues as follows: [TRANSLATION] A. Did the trial judge err in law when he concluded that the Provincial Court, proceeding by way of
summary conviction, has jurisdiction to hear legal issues under the treaties relied upon by the appellant? B. Did the judge err in law in concluding that the Powley test rather than the Chevrier test should apply to the applicant’s application for treaty beneficiary status? C. Did the judge err in law when he concluded that the applicant’s application for treaty beneficiary status was an abuse of process? D. Did the trial judge exhibit bias and unfairness? E.
Is there a conflict of interest in this case? [16] In her brief, the Attorney General responded that four of the five issues are not among the stated grounds of appeal, such a practice is contrary to Rule 62.09 and, therefore, the additional issues should not be addressed by the Court. At the commencement of the hearing, she raised a preliminary issue arguing that only issue “C” was part of the grounds of appeal that Ms. Landry stated in her Notice of Appeal and she objected to the other issues being considered. We agreed with her.
According to Rule 62.09(2) of the Rules of Court , “an appellant shall not rely on a ground of appeal unless it is stated in the Notice of Appeal or Supplementary Notice of Appeal” except “with leave obtained on motion to the Court of Appeal or a judge thereof”. Unless the grounds of appeal have been amended, the Court cannot take them into consideration: Minister of Family and Community Services v. L.J.B. and R.D.; A.B. and D.B. , 2008 NBCA 21 , 327 N.B.R. (2d) 190, at para. 4 . See also Sinclair v.
Dines , 2005 NBCA 15 , 279 N.B.R. (2d) 227, at para. 7 . [17] No motion to amend was brought and, at the hearing, Ms. Landry confirmed that she would proceed with the three grounds stated in her Notice of Appeal. The new issues set out would have significantly expanded the grounds relied upon and we were of the view that it was not in the interests of justice to allow these new grounds in this case. In light of the restrictions imposed by Rule 62.09, I will consider only the grounds that Ms. Landry stated in her Notice of Appeal. [18] In
summary, Ms. Landry was requesting three declaratory orders from the Court of Queen’s Bench: 1. an order declaring that the Provincial Court did not have the requisite
jurisdiction to adjudicate a case involving Aboriginal or treaty rights; 2. an order declaring that the usual procedure for determining whether a person is an Aboriginal person and thus entitled to treaty rights is unconstitutional; 3. an order declaring that she is the holder of treaty rights . [19] The application judge denied all three requests. In her grounds of appeal, Ms. Landry challenged only one of the judge’s three decisions, namely the one denying her third request. The judge’s rejection of the other two requests has not been appealed and therefore I
will refrain from considering these requests. [20] Ms. Landry argues that the judge erred in concluding that her application for an order declaring that she is the holder of treaty rights was an abuse of process . This is the only decision that will be considered. The other two grounds of appeal invoked, namely that procedural fairness was breached and that the treaties were not admitted into evidence, will also be considered, but only as they relate to the decision appealed from. IV. Analysis and Decision A. First ground of appeal - abuse of process [21] Did the application judge err in finding that Ms.
Landry’s application for a declaration that she is the holder of treaty rights was an abuse of process? 1. Standard of review [22] The question of whether a specific legal proceeding constitutes an abuse of process is one of mixed fact and law which is dependent upon the exercise of a judicial discretion and cannot be interfered with absent palpable and overriding error: Miramichi Lumber Products Inc. et al. v. Province of New Brunswick, as represented by the Department of Energy and Resource Development et al. , 2019 NBCA 61 , [2019] N.B.J. No. 202 (QL), Quigg J.A. on behalf of the Court, at para. 15.
Questions of mixed law and fact require deference, unless there is an extricable question of law, in which case the standard is correctness. 2. The doctrine of abuse of process [23] Before the judge of the Court of Queen’s Bench, the Attorney General argued that Ms. Landry’s application was seeking the same remedy that had been sought and denied twice before the Federal Court, and argued the Court should dismiss it on the basis of its inherent power to prevent abuse of process. Ms.
Landry argued that there had never been a decision on the merits and that accordingly, the doctrine of abuse of process should not apply. The parties repeated the same arguments at the hearing. [24] The doctrine of abuse of process by relitigation was set out by the Supreme Court in Toronto (City) v. C.U.P.E., Local 79 , 2003 SCC 63 , [2003] 3 S.C.R. 77, and applied by Richard J.A. (as he then was) in Forsythe v. Furlotte , 2016 NBCA 6 , 447 N.B.R. (2d) 48.
The doctrine applies in a variety of legal contexts, results from the inherent discretion of the court to prevent abuse of process in a way that would bring the administration of justice into disrepute, and is essentially aimed at preserving the integrity of the judicial system. It is a flexible doctrine, unencumbered by the specific requirements of common law concepts such as issue estoppel.
As Arbour J. noted in Toronto (City) , writing for a unanimous Supreme Court on this point: [...] Canadian courts have applied the doctrine of abuse of process to preclude relitigation in circumstances where the strict requirements of issue estoppel (typically the privity/mutuality requirements) are not met, but where allowing the litigation to proceed would nonetheless violate such principles as judicial economy, consistency, finality and the integrity of the administration of justice. [...] [para. 37] 3. Analysis [25] To determine whether Ms.
Landry’s application constituted an abuse of process, the judge first set out to identify the nature of the issue raised by reference to the proceedings before the Federal Court. He applied the appropriate test to determine whether Ms. Landry’s application constituted an abuse of process and cited the relevant case law, including the decision of this Court in Forsythe , as well as that of the Supreme Court in Toronto (City ), the leading case on the doctrine of abuse of process by relitigation. He correctly
noted that the doctrine of abuse of process is more flexible than the doctrine of res judicata . He was of the view that the Federal Court had made a decision on the merits. He concluded his analysis as follows: [TRANSLATION] “I find that the applicant, having twice exhausted her remedies before the Federal Court and its appellate levels, is once again attempting to have the same issue determined, namely, her status as a treaty rights beneficiary” (para. 38).
He found that the application was an abuse of process and exercised his discretion to dismiss it. [26] As Arbour J. pointed out in Toronto (City ): “There are many circumstances in which the bar against relitigation, either through the doctrine of res judicata or that of abuse of process, would create unfairness” (para. 53). However, in this case, no such argument has been raised and there is no indication that such circumstances were present. [27] In her brief, Ms.
Landry acknowledged that [TRANSLATION] “[t]he main purpose of the application before the Court of Queen’s Bench [was] to secure the recognition of the treaty rights claimed by [her], including fishing rights”. [28] Recently, in R. v. Lamb , 2020 NBCA 22 , [2020] N.B.J. No. 81 (QL), Green J.A., for the Court, reiterated the criteria set out in R. v. Powley , 2003 SCC 43 , [2003] 2 S.C.R. 207, which are used by the courts to determine whether an individual is an Aboriginal person and thus the holder of treaty rights as provided by
section 35 of the Constitution Act, 1982 : (1) self-identification; (2) evidence of an ancestral connection; and (3) acceptance by the modern community . [29] Ms. Landry has already tried unsuccessfully to obtain a declaration from the Federal Court that she is the holder of treaty rights. Having considered the evidence and the criteria set out in Powley and Hopper v. R. , 2008 NBCA 42 , 331 N.B.R. (2d) 177 , the Federal Court concluded that the members of the Conseil Autochtone de la Côte-Est , of which Ms.
Landry is a member, did not meet two of the three criteria of the test: self-identification and community acceptance . A second application brought on behalf of the same applicants seeking the same remedy was also denied and an application for leave to appeal to the Supreme Court was dismissed. 4. Conclusion [30] The conclusion reached by the application judge that Ms. Landry’s application constituted an abuse of process is supported by the evidence on the record and is consistent with the applicable case law. The decision is not the product of any error and it requires deference.
Accordingly, I would dismiss this ground of appeal. B. Second and third grounds of appeal - admission of treaties into evidence and procedural fairness [31] Finally, I think it would be appropriate to address the other two grounds of appeal together, because, as far as I am concerned, they are linked. Essentially, Ms. Landry argues the application judge erred because he did not admit the treaties she invoked into evidence and because he made a decision on the merits without affording the parties an opportunity to be heard. In view of my conclusion that the judge did not err in dismissing Ms.
Landry’s application on the ground of abuse of process, these two alleged errors, even if they were considered to be founded, would be of no consequence in this case. All the same, I will deal with them briefly. 1. Admission into evidence of treaties [32] Ms. Landry argues the application judge erred in that he [TRANSLATION] “made a decision affecting the treaty rights claimed […] without formally admitting the treaties into evidence”. This argument can be summarily dismissed. In support of her application, Ms.
Landry filed a record that includes an affidavit to which several exhibits are appended, including the six treaties she was invoking, identified as “3J” to “3O”. Although the Attorney General argued against the introduction of certain documents into evidence, she did not object to the admission of the treaties into evidence. Rather, she challenged their probative value, alleging that they, along with other documents that Ms.
Landry had appended to her affidavit, were historical documents of insignificant probative value absent testimony of properly qualified experts and the necessary factual and contextual background. The treaties were not struck from the record.
[33] In her brief, in support of her claim that the treaties were not [TRANSLATION] “formally admit[ed] into evidence”, Ms. Landry notes that [TRANSLATION] “[o]n the cover page [of the transcript of the hearing of the application] is written ‘Nil’ in the
section entitled ‘Exhibits’”. Furthermore, at the hearing, referring to Rule 54.04(1) which states that during a trial “[e]xhibits shall be marked and numbered consecutively”, she argued that in this case, since the judge did not mark the treaties, they were not “formally” admitted into evidence. I disagree.
In the case of exhibits appended to an affidavit entered into the record of an application, it is not necessary at the hearing of the application to file the exhibits separately and mark and number them, as is the practice at trial. [34] However, in order to avoid any ambiguity, it is good practice for an application or motion judge to expressly and clearly verbalize the paragraphs and exhibits struck from the record, with short reasons explaining the circumstances for doing so.
In this case, the judge followed this practice when he indicated that he was striking out, inter alia , exhibits “1A”, “1B”, “2T”, “2Y” and “2Z” (referred to in paras. 8-10), as well as paras. 21, 22 and 23 of the affidavit. The judge accepted into evidence the treaties listed at para. 7 of the affidavit that remained on the record, identified consecutively by Ms. Landry as “3J” to “3O”. 2. Procedural fairness [35] In her grounds of appeal, Ms.
Landry argues the application judge made [TRANSLATION] “ legal findings on the merits”, more specifically with respect to the decision under appeal, he [TRANSLATION] “made a decision affecting the treaty rights claimed, thereby addressing the merits of the claim”, whereas he was only to consider a preliminary issue, namely whether the application should be dismissed for abuse of process.
She argues that her right to procedural fairness was not respected because the judge made a decision on the merits without having afforded her the opportunity to be heard, even though he had informed the parties that he would make a decision on the abuse of process issue first, and then, if necessary, he would hear the parties’ arguments on the merits. [36] In matters of procedural fairness, a deferential standard does not apply. The law requires that the rules of procedural fairness be respected: Her Majesty the Queen in Right of the Province of New Brunswick, as represented by the Minister of Education v.
Kennedy et al. , 2015 NBCA 58, [2015] N.B.J. No. 251 (QL) , Chief Justice Drapeau (as he then was), at para. 14. [37] One of the fundamental principles of our adversarial system is that a party has the right to be heard fully before a court makes a final decision in a case involving that party (see Glaspy v. Glaspy , 2011 NBCA 101 , 381 N.B.R. (2d) 137, at para. 4 ; F.Y. v. R. , 2011 NBCA 86 , 378 N.B.R. (2d) 37; and New Brunswick Legal Aid Services Commission v.
Comeau and Comeau , 2009 NBCA 78 , 351 N.B.R. (2d) 269). [38] This rule is so fundamental in our legal system that there is no need to discuss it at length. In Canadian Union of Public Employees, Local 821 v.
Vitalité Health Network (Zone 1B) , 2015 NBCA 3 , 429 N.B.R. (2d) 158, Chief Justice Drapeau stated it as follows: “At common law, natural justice centers on two basic rules: the audi alteram partem rule, under which the parties have the right to be heard in order to present their case or their point of view, as the case may be, and the nemo judex in sua causa rule, which recognizes the right of every party to be treated impartially and without bias […]” (para. 39). [39] I agree with Ms.
Landry that the issue on which the application judge reserved judgment was whether the application should be dismissed for abuse of process. The Attorney General objected to the Court considering Ms. Landry’s application on the merits. The judge therefore heard the oral arguments of the parties on abuse of process only, informing the parties that he would hear their arguments on the merits, if necessary, at a later date.
Since he dismissed the application after finding that there was abuse of process, this settled the issue definitively, and it was no longer necessary to hear the parties on the merits of the application. [40] However, after dismissing Ms. Landry’s application for abuse of process, the judge added the following: [TRANSLATION] “ In the event that I were to err in that conclusion, the fact remains that […] [ Ms. Landry] had to meet the criteria of the Powley test, but did not adduce evidence to do so, as she did in her Statement of Claim before the Federal Court.
The application should therefore be dismissed”. [41] I agree with Ms. Landry that the application judge was not to rule on the merits of the case, including whether she had to meet the criteria of the Powley test and whether she had indeed met them, without having afforded the parties an opportunity to be heard on the merits. In C.D.J. v. H.R. , 2020 NBCA 5 , [2020] N.B.J . No. 17 (QL) , this Court set aside the decision of the motion judge, as none of the parties had been heard on the merits of the motion (para. 19) .
[42] However, I am of the opinion that the comments of the application judge are of no consequence since, ultimately, he correctly found that the application had to be dismissed for abuse of process. This was a dispositive threshold issue which disposed of the matter; the other issues on the merits were moot. The parties had been heard on this issue and the judge rendered a final decision, which did not require him to address the merits of the case or the parties’ arguments concerning the treaties invoked.
What the application judge said in obiter dictum does not vitiate his decision to dismiss the application for abuse of process. I would dismiss these latter two grounds of appeal. V. Disposition [43] I would dismiss the appeal with costs of $2,500 in favour of the Attorney General.