2020 NBCA 18, 2020 NBCA 18
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 29-19-CA THE PROVINCE OF NEW BRUNSWICK APPELLANT LA PROVINCE DU NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK APPELANTE - and - - et - GRANT THORNTON LLP, GRANT THORNTONINTERNATIONAL LTD., KENT M. OSTRIDGE RESPONDENTS GRANT THORNTON LLP, GRANT THORNTONINTERNATIONAL LTD., KENT M. OSTRIDGE INTIMÉS Province of New Brunswick v. Grant Thornton, 2020NBCA 18 Province du Nouveau-Brunswick c.
Grant Thornton,2020 NBCA 18 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Drapeau The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice Green CORAM : l’honorable juge Drapeau l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge Green Appeal from decisions of the Court of Queen’sBench: March 28, 2018 February 25, 2019 Appel de décisions de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : le 28 mars 2018 le 25 février 2019 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decisions under appeal: 2018 NBQB 63 2019 NBQB 36 Décisions frappées d’appel : 2018 NBQB 63 , 2018 NBBR 63 2019 NBBR 36 Preliminary or incidental proceedings: 2015 NBQB 95 2018 NBQB 63 Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : 2015 NBBR 95 2018 NBQB 63 , 2018 NBBR 63 Appeal heard: September 17 and November 6, 2019 Appel entendu : le 17 septembre et le 6 novembre 2019
Judgment rendered: March 26, 2020 Jugement rendu : le 26 mars 2020 Reasons for judgment by: The Honourable Justice Drapeau Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge Drapeau Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice Green Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge Green Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: Frederick C. McElman, Q.C., Stephen J. Hutchison, Q.C. and Josie H. Marks For the respondents Grant Thornton LLP and Kent M. Ostridge: Patrick E. Hurley, Q.C., Anthony S. Richardson and Romain J.F. Viel For the respondent Grant Thornton International Ltd.: J.
Charles Foster, Q.C., Steven R. Barnett and Matthew R.S. Pearn Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appelante : Frederick C. McElman, c.r., Stephen J. Hutchison, c.r., et Josie H. Marks Pour les intimés Grant Thornton LLP et Kent M. Ostridge : Patrick E. Hurley, c.r., Anthony S. Richardson et Romain J.F. Viel Pour l’intimée Grant Thornton International Ltd. : J. Charles Foster, c.r., Steven R. Barnett et Matthew R.S. Pearn THE COURT Under s. 5(1)(
a) of the Limitation of Actions Act , S.N.B. 2009, c. L-8.5 , no claim may be brought against a defendant after two years following the day on which it is discovered by the claimant. In granting the respondents’ motions for
summary judgment dismissing the Province’s action in damages ($50 million), the motions judge applied the wrong legal test for s. 5(1)(
a) purposes and made a palpable and overriding error in finding the Province discovered its claim more than two years before proceedings were commenced. The appeal is therefore allowed. In the result, the
summary judgment and some incidental procedural orders are set aside, with costs. LA COUR Aux termes de l’ al. 5(1)
a) de la Loi sur la prescription , L.N.-B. 2009, ch. L-8.5 , toute réclamation contre un défendeur se prescrit par deux ans à compter du jour où sont découverts par le réclamant les faits y ayant donné naissance. En accueillant les motions en jugement
sommaire rejetant l’action en dommages-intérêts (50 millions de dollars) intentée par la Province, le juge saisi des motions a appliqué le mauvais critère juridique pour l’application de l’ al. 5(1)
a) et a commis une erreur manifeste et dominante en concluant que la Province avait découvert les faits ayant donné naissance à sa réclamation plus de deux ans avant l’introduction de l’instance. L’appel est donc accueilli. En conséquence, le jugement
sommaire ainsi que certaines ordonnances procédurales accessoires sont annulés avec dépens.
The judgment of the Court was delivered by DRAPEAU, J.A. I. Introduction and
Summary [1] Under s. 5(1)(
a) of the Limitation of Actions Act, S.N.B. 2009, c. L-8.5 (“Act”), no “claim” may be broughtagainst a “defendant” after two years following the day on which it is “discovered” by the “claimant”. This appeal turns on theinterpretation of the quoted words and the proper application of s. 5(1)(
a) to an action for damages against auditors for their erroneousand allegedly negligent confirmation/representation that a client’s financial statements had been prepared in accordance with GenerallyAccepted Accounting Principles. The case highlights the defining difference for s. 5(1)(
a) purposes between: (1) discovery that theaudit-based confirmation/representation was wrong; and (2) discovery that it was, not only wrong, but the product of a breach of thestandard of care in carrying out the audit. The Province of New Brunswick contends the two-year limitation period under s. 5(1)(
a) onlybegins to run when both constituent facts in the second scenario are known or knowable by the exercise of reasonable diligence. Therespondents submit the clock begins to tick the day after the claimant knows or ought reasonably to know enough facts to allegenegligence on the defendant auditor’s part. Depending on the context, “Grant Thornton” is used in the text that follows to identify allrespondents or, on occasion, just Grant Thornton LLP and Kent M. Ostridge. [2] While our Court has applied the discoverability rule articulated in Central Trust Co. v. Rafuse, (SCC), [1986] 2 S.C.R. 147, [1986] S.C.J.
No. 52 (QL) to construe the Act’s predecessor, it is now called upon to determine, for thefirst time, whether the limitation period under s. 5(1)(
a) may begin to run without the plaintiff’s knowledge, actual or imputed, that thedefendant’s loss-causing act or omission failed to conform with the applicable standard of care. This outcome-settling issue arises fromthe Province’s appeal against the dismissal, by
summary judgment, of its action in negligence against Grant Thornton for the allegedlysub-standard audit of the consolidated financial statements of a handful of Atcon corporations for the fiscal year ending January 31,2009. By the action, the Province seeks to recover damages corresponding to the $50 million it was required to pay by virtue of threeguarantees provided, on June 30, 2009, to Atcon’s main lender, the Bank of Nova Scotia. [3] In the Statement of Claim, the Province asserts those guarantees would not have been executed but for twoconfirmations/representations by Grant Thornton.
The first: it had carried out the audit of Atcon’s consolidated financial statements forthe fiscal year ending January 31, 2009 (“F2009”) in accordance with Generally Accepted Auditing Standards. The second: based on thisStandards-compliant audit, it was of the opinion the financial statements for F2009 had been prepared in accordance with GenerallyAccepted Accounting Principles and presented fairly, in all material respects, Atcon’s financial situation as of January 31, 2009.
TheProvince alleges: (1) it relied on Grant Thornton’s confirmations/representations in agreeing to execute the guarantees; (2) the secondconfirmation/representation was erroneous; (3) that state of affairs was traceable to Grant Thornton’s failure to carry out the F2009 auditin accordance with Generally Accepted Auditing Standards; and
(4) Grant Thornton’s failure to comply with those Standards constituteda breach of the standard of care for which it must answer in damages for the Province’s guarantees-related loss. [4] In their Statement of Defence, Grant Thornton LLP and Kent M. Ostridge deny the Province’s allegations ofnegligence and assert “the fact is” that the audit was carried out in accordance with Generally Accepted Auditing Standards. GrantThornton International Ltd.’s Statement of Defence parrots that position.
Each Statement of Defence includes a plea that the action istime-barred under the Act. [5] Some documentary discovery followed this exchange of pleadings. In time, however, each set of defendantsapplied for
summary dismissal of the action on the basis of s. 5(1)(
a) of the Act and pursuant to Rule 22 of the Rules of Court(“Summary Judgment”). They did so without producing documents that were indisputably relevant in the action, namely the documentsin the audit-related files. The Province countered with motions for various procedural relief, including orders: (1) dismissing or, at least,adjourning the motions for
summary judgment on the basis of Grant Thornton’s failure to deliver proper affidavits of documents and itsrefusal to produce for inspection all non-privileged documents in the audit-related files, as required by Rule 31; and (2) compelling GrantThornton’s compliance with its discovery obligations under Rule 31. [6] The motions judge rejected the Province’s application for orders tethered to Grant Thornton’s non-compliance with Rule 31 and allowed the motions for dismissal of the action on the basis of s. 5(1)(a) (see The Province of NewBrunswick v. Grant Thornton LLP, et al., 2018 NBQB 63, [2018] N.B.J.
No. 60 (QL) and The Province of New Brunswick v. GrantThornton LLP, et al., 2019 NBQB 36, [2019] N.B.J. No. 76 (QL)). Despite uncontradicted expert evidence that no opinion regarding thequality of Grant Thornton’s audit could be ventured on the available record, the judge found the action was time-barred because it wascommenced more than two years after the Province knew or ought reasonably to have known “it had prima facie grounds to infer that it
had a potential cause of action” (emphasis added). [ 7 ] My understanding of the applicable test is different and more exacting; the two-year limitation period prescribed by s. 5(1)(
a) does not begin to run until the claimant has discovered he or she has a claim. This means the two-year limitation period begins to run the day after the plaintiff knows or ought reasonably to have known facts that confer a legally enforceable right to a remedy. In actions for negligence, that right only exists if the defendant was under a relevant duty of care and its loss-causing act or omission fell below the applicable standard of care. In my view, the test applied in first instance to bar the action falls short of the mark.
The factual matrix that might justify a finding of breach of the standard of care for the purposes of no more than a “potential” claim is significantly less compelling than the one required for such a finding for the purposes of an existing, legally enforceable right to a judicial remedy. [ 8 ] While the Province alleges in its Statement of Claim Grant Thornton carried out the audit for F2009 without complying with Generally Accepted Auditing Standards, the unchallenged expert evidence in the record establishes it cannot know whether that is so or be deemed to know it is so before Grant Thornton produces for inspection its audit-related files.
It is only once its undoubted right to inspect those files is respected and exercised that the Province will be able to ascertain what precise steps were actually taken in carrying out the F2009 audit and what steps were not taken. Without that data, the Province may suspect and allege, but it does not know, actually or constructively, the F2009 audit was non-compliant with Generally Accepted Auditing Standards. The motions judge’s disregard of the unchallenged expert evidence on this critical issue cannot be justified and constitutes a palpable and overriding error in the assessment of the evidential record.
In light of that uncontradicted expert evidence, s. 5(1)(
a) is not in play. [ 9 ] Accordingly, I would allow the appeal against the
summary judgment dismissing the action as time-barred. I would also set aside the procedural rulings under appeal that shield Grant Thornton from compliance with the documentary production obligations imposed by the Rules of Court . No one is above the law. II. A More Detailed Context A. Atcon and Grant Thornton [ 10 ] Until early in 2010, Atcon carried on business, nationally and internationally, as a provider, through various corporate entities, of construction, energy, industrial and waste management services. It was headquartered in Miramichi, N.B., and had a significant local workforce.
In describing Atcon’s genesis and progression, I can do no better than Justice Riordon’s observations in a related proceeding ( Bank of Nova Scotia v. Atcon Construction Inc. et al. , 2010 NBQB 90 ): In 1978, Robert Tozer started a small construction company in Miramichi. From a modest beginning the business and Atcon Group grew as a provider of construction services and other commercial operations. Over a period of some 30 years the Atcon Group of companies expanded their businesses and geographic marketplace.
Those companies have interests and operations in manufacturing wood paneling, construction services including highway and bridge construction, energy services, industrial and environmental services, among others. Operations of the Atcon companies extended from New Brunswick to Newfoundland and Labrador, Alberta, the Northwest Territories, Northeastern United States and Sweden. At its peak, the Atcon Group of companies had more than 2000 employees with annual revenues of somewhere in the range of $255 million.
Without question the Atcon companies have provided much needed employment and income to families, particularly to many in this area, a region which has been hit hard by economic problems and business closures. [para. 6] [ 11 ] At all material times, Robert Tozer was Atcon’s President and Chief Executive Officer and Katrina Donovan, a chartered accountant, was Vice-President Finance/Administration and Chief Financial Officer. She was responsible for the preparation of Atcon’s unaudited yearly financial statements. Neither Mr. Tozer nor Ms.
Donovan testified or filed affidavit evidence on the motions in the court below. [ 12 ] Atcon’s financial statements for the fiscal years ending January 26, 2008 and January 31, 2009 show revenues of more than $248 million and $258 million, respectively. Yet, significant cash flow problems and bank loan defaults were part of the regular operational landscape for years, and Atcon did not hesitate to turn to the government for financial assistance. Indeed, the year before Atcon secured the loan guarantees totaling $50 million, it obtained a government loan guarantee of more than $13 million.
In his February 14, 2013 report to the Speaker of the Legislative Assembly regarding related allegations of violations of the Members’ Conflict of Interest Act , S.N.B. 1999, c. M-7.01 , the Conflict of Interest Commissioner, the Hon. Patrick A.A. Ryan, Q.C., noted Atcon “had come knocking on the provincial government door with abundant success many times over the years” and Mr. Tozer “was politically colour blind in his unabashed demands for financial assistance from a succession of governments” (para. 5).
[ 13 ] Grant Thornton LLP is a limited liability partnership engaged in the practice of accounting, auditing and consulting from offices situated here and elsewhere in Canada. It is a member of Grant Thornton International Ltd. Grant Thornton LLP was retained by Atcon in early 2009 to audit its financial statements for F2009. [ 14 ] Kent M. Ostridge is a partner of Grant Thornton LLP.
He was responsible for the auditing services at issue in the action. [ 15 ] In its Statement of Claim, the Province alleges the three defendants held themselves out as practicing and doing business under the name “Grant Thornton” and under the trademarks registered by Grant Thornton International Ltd. [ 16 ] The Province commenced its action on June 23, 2014.
If it knew or ought reasonably to have known before June 23, 2012 that Grant Thornton had breached the applicable standard of care, notably by failing to abide by Generally Accepted Auditing Standards in conducting the F2009 audit, as alleged in the Statement of Claim, the action would be barred by s. 5(1) (
a) of the Act . B. Chronology of events before June 23, 2012 [ 17 ] Atcon had been operating in New Brunswick since the 1970s. By the end of January 2005, it had accumulated approximately $20 million of equity. In the years that followed, Atcon was successful in obtaining major construction contracts, particularly in Western Canada. Atcon’s volume of business increased from approximately $50 million during the fiscal year ending January 2006 to over $250 million, as reported in the financial statements for F2009.
Notwithstanding this significant growth, Atcon had been struggling, at least since January 2007, to meet its financial obligations as they became due. [ 18 ] Atcon’s cash flow problems persisted in F2009. In the fall of 2008, its senior management approached the Province seeking guarantees for loans with the Bank of Nova Scotia. Negotiations extended over the course of several months. On April 24, 2009, the Province advised Atcon its request for financial assistance had been conditionally approved.
The Province would provide loan guarantees totaling $50 million: $20 million to repay existing subordinated debt; up to $20 million in connection with a working capital loan; and $10 million to cover capital expenditures at Atcon’s facilities in Miramichi. The guarantees were subject to an external review of Atcon’s assets by an auditing firm deemed satisfactory to the responsible Minister. [ 19 ] On April 24, 2009, Atcon proposed the external review be performed by its auditors, Grant Thornton.
The Province agreed on condition that Grant Thornton’s review-related findings and opinions be communicated directly to it. Grant Thornton agreed. [ 20 ] The F2009 audit field work was completed in early May. On May 19, 2009, Grant Thornton delivered its report regarding Atcon’s consolidated financial statements for F2009. The report (sometimes referred to as the Opinion or Representation Letter) was sent to John Watt, a Project Executive Officer with Business New Brunswick who was involved in dealing with Atcon’s request for financial assistance.
It reads as follows: In your letter dated April 24, 2009 related to financial assistance in the form of a government guarantee for Atcon Holdings Inc. you have requested a confirmation from the external auditor related to current assets consisting of receivables, inventory and other current assets. Based on discussions with Ms. Katrina Donovan, VP Finance and Administration – CFO we understand that this confirmation includes the status of the audit and a description of the procedures completed as part of the audit related to the assets identified in your letter.
The audit of Atcon Holdings Inc. also includes the audit of Atcon Construction Inc., Atcon Industrial Services Inc. and Envirem Technologies Inc. Based on our audit of the consolidated entity Atcon Holdings Inc. (the Company), current assets consist of accounts receivable, inventory, including raw materials, supplies, finished goods and work-in-progress, and other assets include prepaid expenses.
Our audit of the Company was completed in accordance with generally accepted auditing standards and our opinion states the financial statements [present] fairly “in all material respects” the financial position, result of operations and cash flows as at January 31, 2009 . For the audit of the Company, materiality was set at $1,200,000.
We have completed our field work and the audit report will be dated May 7, 2009 . We have the following outstanding matters to complete before issuing our audit report:
a) Obtain management representation letters;
b) Finalize the financial statement disclosures;
c) Update the legal letters currently received to May 7, 2009. We have currently received all legal letter replies and there were no exceptions;
d) Receive a copy of the guarantee from the Province of New Brunswick in support of the new credit facility;
e) Receive a copy of the new credit facility from the lending institution [Bank of Nova Scotia]. Once the above items are resolved Grant Thornton will be issuing an unqualified audit report on the Company’s January 31, 2009 financial statements . Grant Thornton has provided management with all audit adjustments and these adjustments have been reviewed and approved by management. [Emphasis added.] [ 21 ] The report then outlined, in general terms, the procedures Grant Thornton had completed to date in conjunction with its audit.
The report did not identify the specific evidence Grant Thornton examined to test whether the data disclosed in the consolidated financial statements were accurate. Nor did it set out what specific evidence was relied on to assess: the accounting principles that informed management’s preparation of the financial statements; the significant estimates found therein; and the overall financial statement preparation. [ 22 ] On June 18, 2009, Grant Thornton issued its Unqualified Auditor’s Report. The Report confirmed:
(1) Atcon’s management prepared the F2009 financial statements;
(2) Grant Thornton’s responsibility was to express an opinion on those statements based on its audit; (3) an audit includes examining, on a test basis, evidence supporting the amounts and disclosures in the financial statements, assessing the accounting principles used and significant estimates made by management, and evaluating the overall financial statement presentation; (4) the audit had been conducted in accordance with Generally Accepted Auditing Standards, which required Grant Thornton “plan and perform an audit to obtain reasonable assurance whether the financial statements are free of material misstatements”; and (5) in its opinion, the financial statements presented “fairly, in all material respects, the financial position of [Atcon] as at January 31, 2009, and the results of its operations and its cash flows for the year then ended in accordance with Canadian Generally Accepted Accounting Principles”. [ 23 ] In footnote 19 to the F2009 audited financial statements, Atcon disclosed it had been in violation of its debt covenants with the Bank in January 2009 and that it had attempted to reset these covenants.
The note confirmed a $50 million guarantee had been obtained from the Province and acknowledged Atcon’s ability to continue operating over the next 12 months depended on its ability to maintain an adequate borrowing base and to meet the revised covenants with the Bank, and failure to do so would materially affect the F2009 financial statements. [ 24 ] On June 30, 2009, the Province executed and delivered the guarantees. The motions judge found the Province did so based on Grant Thornton’s May 19, 2009 report to Mr. Watt, its Unqualified Auditor’s Report and the audited F2009 financial statements.
No one has taken issue with that finding. [ 25 ] Under the credit agreement with the Bank, Atcon was required to provide monthly statutory declarations setting out its borrowing base (i.e. what was available for the Bank to lend against). These declarations were prepared and provided by Ms. Donovan or under her supervision.
In short order after the guarantees were executed by the Province, the Bank retained Ernst & Young, an accounting, auditing and consulting firm, to review Atcon’s financial affairs. [ 26 ] On August 4, 2009, Ernst & Young provided the Bank with an Interim Report regarding Atcon’s statutory declaration that its borrowing base as of June 6, 2009 amounted to $26.2 million. In its Interim Report, Ernst & Young states: We have identified in this report errors totalling $2.8 million which have the cumulative effect of reducing the June Borrowing Base by 10% from $26.2 million to $23.5 million.
Management agrees these items are in fact errors .
We have also identified a number of potentially non-compliant items totalling $18.6 million (Exhibit
A) which may or may not have been properly treated by Management in calculating the June Borrowing Base. Management believes no adjustment is necessary in respect of these items . In that regard, we make the following recommendations: 1. The Bank should review each of the potentially non-compliant items listed in Exhibit A to determine if additional adjustments to the June Borrowing Base are necessary; and 2.
The Bank should meet with Management to review its borrowing base reporting requirements to ensure Management fully understands what it has to do each month to be fully compliant in calculating and reporting the borrowing base. [Emphasis added.] [ 27 ] Items were “potentially non-compliant” because they may not have strictly conformed to the credit agreement between the Bank and Atcon. In his testimony before the Conflict of Interest Commissioner on December 21, 2010, Mr. Watt, a chartered accountant, opined the disagreement between Ms.
Donovan, also a chartered accountant, and Ernst & Young was arguably run- of-the-mill: A. At this point in time, […] company management did not agree with Ernst & Young that these were non-compliant. The company argued that no adjustment was necessary. So you have basically a difference of opinion with a [Chartered Accountant] that works for the company and an outside consulting firm that’s working for the bank. The bank’s accountants are going to take the most cautious approach they can and the company’s going to take the most liberal approach they can. That’s…you see that every day.
What the recommendations were, that the bank should go back in and look at every one of these and determine whether or not an adjustment was necessary in the accounting records. [ 28 ] The Ernst & Young Interim Report was received as evidence in the court below, but not for the truth of its contents. [ 29 ] In October 2009, the Bank extended additional credit to Atcon for the implementation of a restructuring plan. However, Atcon soon ran out of working capital. This occurred, according to Mr.
Watt’s testimony before the Conflict of Interest Commissioner, because of operating losses and the “sudden shutdown” of Atcon’s Western Canada operations. [ 30 ] On February 25, 2010, the Bank applied for a receivership order under s. 33 of the Judicature Act , R.S.N.B. 1973, c. J-2 , Rule 41 of the Rules of Court and s. 243 of the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act , R.S.C. 1985, c. B-3 . The targeted Atcon corporations were: Atcon Group Inc., Atcon Holdings Inc., Atcon Property Holdings Inc., Atcon Veneer Products Inc. and Atcon Logistics Inc.
The Bank also sought relief under the Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act , R.S.C. 1985, c. C-36 , with respect to seven other Atcon corporations: Atcon Construction Inc., Atcon Industrial Services Inc., Atcon Management Services Inc., Atcon Civil Ltd., Dycon Construction Ltd., Atcon Structures Inc. and Envirem Technologies Inc.
In connection with these proceedings, Ernst & Young filed a Proposed Monitor’s Report in which it reviewed Atcon’s dire financial situation before recommending the Court accept the Bank’s application with a view to assessing “whether any solutions that will preserve the value of [the seven Atcon corporations] might be achievable”.
The Bank relied on an affidavit by Rocco Fabiano, the assistant General Manager of its Special Accounts Management division who was responsible for the administration of the outstanding advances to Atcon, Ernst & Young’s Interim Report pertaining to the statutory declaration for Atcon’s borrowing base as of June 6, 2009 and its Proposed Monitor’s Report.
Counsel for the Attorney General attended the hearings and, as a result, became privy to the contents of those documents. [ 31 ] On March 1, 2010, a judge of the Court of Queen’s Bench allowed the Bank’s applications and appointed Ernst & Young Receiver and Receiver-Manager under the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act and Monitor under the Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act . A few days later, the Bank demanded payment of the $50 million under the guarantees.
On March 18, 2010, the Province complied. [ 32 ] On June 15, 2010, a judge of the Court of Queen’s Bench rejected an application by Atcon to extend the period of creditor protection under the Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act by a further two months. Atcon contended it needed more time to reset its operations and secure contracts over the summer. The judge found an extension would be futile.
[ 33 ] In August 2010, the Province retained RSM Richter Inc., an accounting and auditing firm, to review and comment on Atcon’s financial position as of January 31, 2009. RSM Richter was not hired to assess whether Grant Thornton’s audit of Atcon’s financial statements for F2009 had been performed in accordance with Generally Accepted Auditing Standards. [ 34 ] As mentioned, Mr. Watt testified before the Conflict of Interest Commissioner. He described the findings in the Ernst & Young Interim Report pertaining to the June 2009 borrowing base declaration as follows: A.
They [Ernst & Young] found what, in their opinion, were a number of errors in the reporting by the company where they were in fact including receivables that should not have been in the receivable list and should have been in the work in progress list. They had a question on the dating of some of the receivables as to whether or not they should have been included in the receivable list. And they’re claiming that the company was under-reporting statutory debts such as HST, employee source deductions, all of which would come off the borrowing base.
So effectively, what they were saying is the company was misleading them on what was available for the bank to lend against. Without getting into specific numbers… Q. Okay. A. … they’re basically claiming that the company was misleading the bank . THE COMMISSIONER: Was this intentional or is it just negligence, sloppy bookkeeping ? MR. WATT: I…I don’t know the answer to the question. It certainly should not have happened. I mean Katrina Donovan was a chartered accountant. She came out of one of the big accounting firms. She should have…this should not have happened.
Ultimately, it was her responsibility, so she…she was signing the statutory declarations to the bank every month saying that the information was correct . THE COMMISSIONER: In your view, were these serious omissions on … MR. WATT: Oh, very…very serious . THE COMMISSIONER: Yeah. Okay. MR. WATT: These are… these are multi-million dollar errors . [Emphasis added.] [ 35 ] On February 4, 2011, RSM Richter provided the Province with a Draft Report.
It was based on work performed from August to December 2010, a period during which Atcon had ceased operations and was being liquidated. [ 36 ] In its Draft Report, RSM Richter explains it was retained “to determine whether or not the financial statements [for F2009] have been prepared in all material respects in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles”.
The unchallenged affidavit evidence of one of the authors, Andrew Adessky, is that: RSM Richter’s inquiry in furtherance of that mandate “is separate and distinct from an inquiry into whether [Grant Thornton] conducted its audit in accordance with Generally Accepted Auditing Standards”; RSM Richter’s Report “does not provide any opinion on, nor should any comment in [the Report] be construed as an opinion on, the work of Atcon’s auditor Grant Thornton”; and no such opinion could be arrived at without accessing and reviewing Grant Thornton’s audit-related files.
Neither RSM Richter nor the Province has had access to those files. [ 37 ] RSM Richter’s Draft Report was subject to significant limitations and restrictions, including its inability to confer with the most senior members of Atcon’s management team (Mr. Tozer and Ms. Donovan) with knowledge of Atcon’s financial information (see
Section 1.2 and Appendices 1 and 2 to the RSM Richter Report, and para. 10 of the Adessky affidavit). RSM Richter
cautioned that its
interpretation and understanding of Atcon’s records and accounting data did not reflect senior management’s views. Subject to those limitations and restrictions, RSM Richter expressed the following opinions regarding the Atcon financial statements for F2009: (1) they had not been prepared in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, in all material respects; and (2) they overstated Atcon’s assets and net earnings by between $28.3 million and $35.4 million.
In the motions judge’s view, the overstatement was significant and should have led the Province to infer Grant Thornton had not carried out its audit in accordance with Generally Accepted Auditing Standards and that it had a potential claim in negligence against Grant Thornton. C. Chronology of events following June 22, 2012, and, therefore, within the two-year limitation period [ 38 ] On November 30, 2012, RSM Richter issued its Final Report.
It did not diverge from the February 4, 2011 Draft Report to any material degree. [ 39 ] On December 21, 2012, the Deputy Minister of Economic Development sent a letter to the New Brunswick Institute of Chartered Accountants advising the Province was proceeding with a formal complaint against Grant Thornton LLP. He did not identify the nature of the complaint, but attached a copy of the Final RSM Richter Report, which, as noted, did not proffer any opinion regarding the quality of Grant Thornton’s auditing work.
The Institute would later assist the Province in formulating three allegations of potentially objectionable conduct against Grant Thornton LLP, Mr. Ostridge and Ms. Donovan. [ 40 ] Grant Thornton LLP and Mr. Ostridge objected to the Institute’s jurisdiction to deal with the counts on the grounds they were frivolous and vexatious. Documents in support of the objection were filed with the Institute but have not been produced for inspection by the Province. The objection was eventually rejected, but the Institute has yet to deal with the substance of the allegations.
In its view, this cannot be done without access to Grant Thornton’s audit-related files, which the latter has steadfastly refused to produce for inspection. D. The relevant features of the pleadings for
summary judgment purposes
(1) The Statement of Claim [ 41 ] In paragraphs 7-18 of the Statement of Claim, the Province refers to the preludial events for the execution, on June 30, 2009, of the guarantees and describes Grant Thornton’s influence through its role in the satisfaction of two conditions precedent, the External Review and Direct Reporting Conditions.
The Province asserts its acceptance of Grant Thornton, Atcon’s auditor at the time, for the purpose of satisfying the External Review Condition was subject to the requirement that it “provide a letter directly to the Province setting out the audit procedures used for the Atcon audit and providing Grant Thornton’s opinion” (the Direct Reporting Condition).
The Province states Grant Thornton purported to satisfy both Conditions by providing directly to the Province, in its May 19, 2009 report, confirmation: it had performed its audit in accordance with Generally Accepted Auditing Standards; and, in its opinion, Atcon’s financial statements for F2009 presented fairly, in all material respects, its financial position, result of operations and cash flows as at January 31, 2009.
Soon after, more precisely on June 18, 2009, Grant Thornton delivered its Unqualified Auditors’ Report and the F2009 Audited Financial Statements. [ 42 ] At paragraph 20, the Province makes the following allegations: 20. At all material times, Grant Thornton knew, or ought to have known, that:
a) one of the purposes for which the Atcon F2009 Audited Financial Statements and [its] F2009 Unqualified Auditors’ Report were prepared and provided to the Province was to fulfill the External Review Prior Condition and the Direct Reporting Condition for the Guarantees;
b) the Atcon F2009 Audited Financial Statements and the [Grant Thornton] F2009 Unqualified Auditors’ Report were intended to be, and in fact were, relied upon by the Province in fulfillment of the External Review Prior Condition and the Direct Reporting Condition and in deciding to execute and deliver the Guarantees to Atcon and [the Bank of Nova Scotia];
c) the Province relied on Grant Thornton to conduct the “external review” of Atcon and to perform the appropriate review, investigation and audit procedure in the F2009 Audit without conflict of interest to justify Grant Thornton’s opinion as to the fairness of Atcon’s financial statements prepared by Atcon management;
d) the Province would suffer loss if Grant Thornton did not perform the F2009 Audit in accordance with [Generally Accepted Auditing Standards] and without conflict of interest; and
e) the Province would suffer loss if the Atcon F2009 Audited Financial Statements were not prepared in accordance with [Generally Accepted Accounting Principles] and contained material misstatements. [ 43 ] Paragraph 32 sets out succinctly the Province’s allegations of negligence against Grant Thornton. It reads as follows: 32. Grant Thornton, negligently, and in breach of its duties to the Province:
a) failed to conduct the F2009 Audit in accordance with [Generally Accepted Auditing Standards];
b) failed to exercise the care, diligence, and skill of an auditor of reasonable competence and prudence;
c) failed to exercise the care, diligence, and skill of an auditor with special knowledge and expertise in the consolidated business operations of Atcon (which Grant Thornton held itself out to possess);
d) rendered an unqualified Opinion with respect to Atcon’s F2009 Audited Financial Statements when those statements did not present fairly, in all material respects, the financial position of Atcon as at January 31, 2009 and the results of its operations and the changes in its financial position for the year then ended in accordance with [Generally Accepted Accounting Principles]; and
e) acted in conflict of interest. [ 44 ] The issue raised by the allegation in the last sub-paragraph was not pressed in first instance and does not inform any of the decisions under appeal. Nothing further need be said on the point.
(2) The Statements of Defence [ 45 ] Two Statements of Defence have been filed, one by Grant Thornton LLP and Kent M. Ostridge, the other by Grant Thornton International Ltd. [ 46 ] Both Statements of Defence deny the allegations of negligence in sub-paragraphs 32(a)-(
d) of the Statement of Claim. Paragraph 28 of the Statement of Defence of Grant Thornton LLP and Mr. Ostridge bears mention. It reads as follows: 28. As to the allegations contained in paragraph 32 of the Plaintiff s Statement of Claim, the Defendants:
a) deny that they owed any duty of care to the Plaintiff as alleged by the Plaintiff and put the Plaintiff to the strict proof thereof;
b) state and the fact is that the 2009 audit was conducted in accordance with [Generally Accepted Auditing Standards] and without
conflict of interest;
c) state and the fact is that all proper and required due diligence, skill, competence, prudence, knowledge, experience and professional judgments were exercised by the Defendants in the conduct of the 2009 audit; and
d) state and the fact is that the 2009 Financial Statements presented fairly in all material respects the overall financial position, results of operations and cash flows of Atcon as at and for the fiscal year ended January 31, 2009. [Emphasis added.] [ 47 ] In both Statements of Defence, the Act is pleaded as a bar to the action. In their joint Statement of Defence, Grant Thornton LLP and Mr. Ostridge plead s. 5(1) (
a) and submit the action is time-barred because the Province “first had or ought reasonably to have had the requisite knowledge of the alleged claims more than two years before this action was commenced”. [ 48 ] Several other defences are raised in the Statements of Defence but none require consideration. That is so because the Notices of Motion do not seek dismissal of the action on the merits. That strategic choice may have been prompted by concerns over production of the audit-related files.
(3) The Reply regarding the limitation defence [ 49 ] The Province filed, with leave of the motions judge, a Reply to each Statement of Defence. With respect to the limitation defence, the Province asserts: (1) the facts required to determine whether a breach of the standard of care occurred are within Grant Thornton’s exclusive knowledge; (2) the Province did not know those facts before commencing the action; (3) the facts in question were and continue to be concealed by Grant Thornton; and (4) that concealment “suspends operation of any limitation period”. A few words about the issue of concealment. [ 50 ]
Section 16 of the Act provides wilful concealment by the defendant of the existence of a claim precludes reliance on the expiry of the 15-year limitation period prescribed by s. 5(1) (
b) as a defence to the claim.
Section 16 does not apply to s. 5(1) (a). The defendant’s wilful concealment may explain the claimant’s ignorance of the existence of the claim, but the issue under s. 5(1) (
a) is whether the claimant knew or ought reasonably to have known two years before the action was commenced that he or she had a claim; the claim was either discovered or it was not. [ 51 ] In its Reply, the Province goes on to deny the application of s. 5(1) (
a) and its two-year limitation period. The Province contends the action is for the recovery of money owing to the Crown and, as such, it was commenced well within the longer limitation period prescribed under s. 27.1, which read as follows at the time: 27.1 Despite anything else in this Act , if the limitation period that applies to a claim by the Crown for the recovery of money owing to it would, if not for this section, expire after the commencement of this
section but before July 1, 2021, that limitation period expires on July 1, 2021. [Emphasis added.] 27.1
Malgré l’une quelconque des autres dispositions de la présente loi, expire le 1 er juillet 2021 tout délai de prescription applicable à une réclamation visant le recouvrement d’une créance de la Couronne qui, n’était le présent article, aurait expiré après l’entrée en vigueur du présent article, mais avant le 1 er juillet 2021. [ J’ai souligné .] It bears noting that, at the time the action was commenced, the expiry for the limitation period under s. 27.1 was May 1, 2016. However, nothing turns on the difference. [ 52 ] In his February 25, 2019 decision dismissing the action, the motions judge found s. 27.1 was inapplicable. He did so for the following reasons:
Section 27.1 supersedes any other limitation set out in the LAA in any action where the Province is the plaintiff provided that the action falls within the parameters of the section. Those parameters, i.e. the elements of the section, are,
a) whether it is a “claim” by the Crown;
b) whether it is for the recovery of money; and
c) whether it is for money that is owing. The term “claim” is defined in section 1(1) of the Act as follows: “claim” means a claim to remedy the injury, loss or damage that occurred as a result of
an act or omission. (réclamation) Clearly this action meets the criteria of that definition as the Crown seeks to remedy a loss it suffered as a result of what it alleges was an act or omission, i.e. the negligence of the defendants. It is also clear that the claim is for the recovery of money. The issue, then, is whether or not it is a claim for the recovery of money that is “owing”. In the text S.M.
Waddams, The Law of Damages (Canada Law Book, 2014) (loose-leaf revision 25: November 2016) the authors state at 7.10: 7.10 There is an important distinction between debt and damages; in an action on a debt the plaintiff claims money that is owed as money. The law of damages is concerned with the assessment of money compensation for legal wrongs -- the translation, so to speak, of a legal wrong into a money sum. But in the case of a debt there is no translation to be done. To say that the debt is due is to say that the amount of the debt is recoverable. [...] This action is a tort claim for negligence.
In bringing this action the Province asks the court to translate that legal wrong, that negligence, into a money sum that is owing to it. It is a claim for damages, not a claim for debt or for money owing to the Crown. Whether or not the money it paid pursuant to the loan guarantees is owing by these defendants to the Province is, in fact, the overarching issue that the Province seeks to have resolved in this litigation. That is clear from the statement of claim. I therefore find that the claim being made by the Province in this action does not satisfy the third element of
section 27.1 of the LAA because it is not a claim for the recovery of money that is “owing” to the Crown. I further find that
section 27.1 of the LAA does not apply to this action. [paras. 43-52] [ 53 ] Grant Thornton supports the motions judge’s analysis and
interpretation of s. 27.1. So do I. Grant Thornton adds the motions judge’s reasons are buttressed by the Legislature’s use of the word “créance” in the French version to describe the object of s. 27.1. I agree.
[ 54 ] While I find interesting the argument that the word “créance” may be indicative of a legislative intention to confine the application of s. 27.1 to money owing under a debtor-creditor or other comparable relationship, delineating the precise contours of s. 27.1’s reach is not required to dispose of the appeal. I close the discussion of this topic with a word or two about the rules of pleading and the burden of proof and persuasion in connection with s. 5(1) (a). [ 55 ] Different understandings of the effect of the j udge-made discoverability rule have long permeated the litigation bar.
Some jurists view the rule as a means of identifying when a cause of action accrued. Others see the rule as an estoppel for the application of a statutory time limit. Prior to the adoption of s. 5(1) (a), where the defendant pleaded the expiry of the statutory time limit and the plaintiff wished to make the case for the discoverability rule’s application as an estoppel, a Reply setting out supporting facts was considered good practice, if not essential (see Goyetche et al. v. International Union of Operating Engineers et al. , 2019 NBCA 16 , [2019] N.B.J. No. 36 (QL) , at para. 44 ).
In that context, the plaintiff bore the burden of proving facts justifying the rule’s application. [ 56 ] The discoverability rule has now been codified as a limitation period under s. 5(1)(a). The defendant who raises its expiry as a defence must provide in the Statement of Defence a concise statement of the material facts on which he or she relies. Moreover, the defendant must prove those facts. Under Rule 27.07(2), every material allegation of fact in the Statement of Defence is deemed to be denied where the plaintiff fails to deliver a Reply.
In a related submission, Grant Thornton points to the suggestion in Mew, Rolph and Zacks, The Law of Limitations , 3 rd ed. (Toronto: LexisNexis Canada, 2016) that once the defendant has pleaded a limitation defence, “the plaintiff will be required to show when time began to run” (para. 5.38). That may be so in Ontario, perhaps because of the particular wording of its Limitations Act, 2002 , S.O. 2002, c. 24, Sch. B , notably the presumption that the plaintiff discovered the material facts on which the cause of action rests on the day the defendant’s culpable acts or omissions occurred.
In this jurisdiction, there is no such presumption, and the party who asserts must prove. E. The Notices of Motion for
summary judgment [ 57 ] Grant Thornton LLP and Kent M. Ostridge filed a joint Notice of Motion for
summary judgment. Grant Thornton International filed its own Notice of Motion. Both Notices of Motion articulated the same ground for relief: “the [Province] first discovered or ought reasonably to have discovered its claim against [all defendants] on or before February 4, 2011, when the [Province] received [RSM Richter’s] report which concluded that Atcon Holdings Inc.’s financial statements were not prepared in accordance with [Generally Accepted Accounting Principles]”.
Neither Notice of Motion identified March 18, 2010, or any other date previous to February 4, 2011, as the starting point for the limitation period under s. 5(1) (a). [ 58 ] In its pre-hearing brief, Grant Thornton International did not argue the Province discovered it had a claim on March 18, 2010. It took the position that the Province discovered it had a claim on February 4, 2011, following receipt of the RSM Richter Draft Report. That submission was harmonious with the Notices of Motion. [ 59 ] However, in their pre-hearing brief, Grant Thornton LLP and Kent M.
Ostridge contended, without leave to amend their Notice of Motion, that the Province first discovered or ought reasonably to have discovered its claim against them on March 18, 2010, when it paid $50 million to the Bank pursuant to the Guarantees. This submission should not have been entertained since March 18, 2010 was not pleaded in the Notices of Motion as a starting date for s. 5(1) (
a) purposes (see Rule 37.03(b)). However, the issue is not raised on appeal, and I will say no more on the procedural point. [ 60 ] The motions for
summary judgment were supported by affidavits of Kent M. Ostridge, Norman Victor Raynard (Grant Thornton LLP’s Regional Managing Partner for Western Canada), Miranda Joy Munroe (a litigation assistant with the firm of solicitors acting for Grant Thornton LLP and Mr. Ostridge) and Jonathan Block of Bethesda, Maryland (Senior Counsel for Grant Thornton International). The Ernst & Young Interim Report regarding Atcon’s June 2009 borrowing base declaration was attached as an exhibit to one of Mr. Ostridge’s affidavits. [ 61 ] In opposition to the motions, the Province filed and relied on an affidavit of Mr.
Adessky, a partner at RSM Richter and one of the authors of its Draft and Final Reports. The Province also filed and relied on an affidavit of George Kinsman, one of the authors of the Ernst & Young Interim Report and Proposed Monitor’s Report. F. The key elements of the evidential record
(1) The Ernst & Young Interim Report and Proposed Monitor’s Report
[ 62 ] The Ernst & Young Interim Report was admitted in evidence over the Province’s objection. However, it was not admitted for the truth of its contents or for the truth of any opinion expressed therein. [ 63 ] The purpose of the Ernst & Young Interim Report was to assess the accuracy of the statutory declaration provided by Atcon to the Bank with respect to its borrowing base as at June 6, 2009. As noted, Ms.
Donovan, a chartered accountant with Atcon, and the authors of the Ernst & Young Interim Report disagreed over whether $18.6 million in the borrowing base had been properly treated by Atcon in the statutory declaration. The Province underscores the declaration was provided months after the timeframe of the F2009 audited financial statements. [ 64 ] As for the Proposed Monitor’s Report, it was produced for the purposes of the Bank’s application under the Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act .
(2) Affidavit of George Kinsman [ 65 ] As noted, Mr. Kinsman is one of the authors of the Ernst & Young Interim Report and the Proposed Monitor’s Report. In his affidavit, Mr. Kinsman confirms the following: Ernst & Young did not assess whether Grant Thornton’s audit was Standards-compliant; neither the Ernst & Young Interim Report nor the Proposed Monitor’s Report were concerned with the F2009 audited financial statements or the Grant Thornton audit; and neither report should be read as expressing any opinion with respect to either the F2009 Audited Financial Statements or the work of Grant Thornton.
(3) Testimony of John Watt before the Conflict of Interest Commissioner [ 66 ] As mentioned, Mr. Watt testified before the Conflict of Interest Commissioner. The crux of his evidence regarding the Ernst & Young Interim Report was as follows: A. They [Ernst & Young] found what, in their opinion, were a number of errors in the reporting by the company where they were in fact including receivables that should not have been in the receivable list and should have been in the work in progress list.
They had a question on the dating of some of the receivables as to whether or not they should have been included in the receivable list. And they’re claiming that the company was under-reporting statutory debts such as HST, employee source deductions, all of which would come off the borrowing base. So effectively, what they were saying is the company was misleading them on what was available for the bank to lend against. Without getting into specific numbers… Q. Okay. A. … they’re basically claiming that the company was misleading the bank .
THE COMMISSIONER: Was this intentional or is it just negligence, sloppy bookkeeping ? MR. WATT: I…I don’t know the answer to the question. It certainly should not have happened. I mean Katrina Donovan was a chartered accountant. She came out of one of the big accounting firms. She should have…this should not have happened. Ultimately, it was her responsibility, so she…she was signing the statutory declarations to the bank every month saying that the information was correct . THE COMMISSIONER: In your view, were these serious omissions on … MR. WATT: Oh, very…very serious .
THE COMMISSIONER: Yeah. Okay. MR. WATT: These are… these are multi-million dollar errors . [Emphasis added.]
(4) The RSM Richter Draft and Final Reports [ 67 ] In its February 2011 Draft Report and November 2012 Final Report, RSM Richter expressed the opinions, subject to specified restrictions and limitations, that Atcon had not prepared the F2009 financial statements in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, in all material respects, and that its assets and earnings had been overstated by between $28.3 million and $35.4 million. [ 68 ] However, neither Report contains any observation or opinion regarding the quality of Grant Thornton’s F2009 audit.
(5) Evidence of Andrew Adessky [ 69 ] Andrew Adessky signed the Draft and Final RSM Richter Reports. His affidavit evidence, which stands unchallenged, is as follows: 3. [RSM Richter] was retained by PNB to review and determine whether Atcon’s January 31, 2009 financial statements were prepared in all material respects in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (“GAAP”). Our conclusion, subject to the limitations set out in the [RSM Richter] Report, is that the financial statements were not prepared in accordance with GAAP in all material respects. 4.
Our mandate, and the inquiry we undertook to reach our conclusions, is separate and distinct from an inquiry into whether the external auditor of Atcon conducted its audit in accordance with Generally Accepted Auditing Standards (“GAAS”). Our finding that the financial statements were not prepared in accordance with GAAP does not mean that the auditor who audited same failed to comply with GAAS in the conduct of its audit. The two inquiries are separate and distinct and should not be conflated. 5.
In order for [RSM Richter] to have provided an opinion on the work performed by Grant Thornton LLP (“Grant Thornton”) as auditor of Atcon’s financial statements: (a) [RSM Richter] would have had to have access to and undertaken a full review of Grant Thornton’s audit working paper files related to the Atcon audit. Access to additional information, arising from review of the Grant Thornton audit working paper files, may have also been required. (b) [RSM Richter’s] Inquiry would have been focused upon compliance with GAAS. A
summary of the GAAS principles that would have applied is attached […] 6. [RSM Richter] did not have access to the audit working paper files of Grant Thornton, which files would include an audit plan showing their approach for conducting the audit, as well as the information known to, and considered by, the auditor in performing their audit and supporting their opinion on the January 31, 2009 financial statements. 7. The [RSM Richter] Report does not provide any opinion on, nor should any comment in the [RSM Richter] Report be construed as an
opinion on, the work of Atcon’s auditor Grant Thornton. 8. Based on the records, documents and information available to us, we were not in a position to discover, or express any opinion on, whether Grant Thornton conducted its audit work in compliance with GAAS. 9. Further, [RSM Richter] itself did not conduct an audit or verification of Atcon’s financial information or accounting systems in accordance with GAAS. [Emphasis added.]
(6) Evidence of the respondent Kent M. Ostridge [ 70 ] In his testimony, Mr. Ostridge was taken through the contents of the Draft and Final RSM Richter Reports. He made the point that the reports featured references to what he described as “auditing concepts”. Mr. Ostridge expressed the view that the opinions and conclusions in the RSM Richter Draft Report “would call into question the completion of the audit in accordance with [Generally Accepted Auditing Standards] by the auditor” and “would lead a reasonable person to question the conclusions that Grant Thornton made in its audit report” (emphasis added).
However, Mr. Ostridge did not testify that those opinions and conclusions would lead a reasonable auditor to find Grant Thornton’s audit had not been carried out in accordance with those Standards. [ 71 ] Indeed, Mr. Ostridge conceded on cross-examination his knowledge of Atcon’s insolvency and the issues identified in the Ernst & Young Interim Report (errors and misstatements in the statutory declaration setting out Atcon’s borrowing base as of June 6, 2009) did not cause him to question whether Grant Thornton met its standard of care in the conduct of the F2009 audit . Mr.
Ostridge acknowledged the disclosures Atcon made in footnote 19 to the F2009 financial statements, including the caution that its ability to continue operating for the next year hinged on its ability to maintain an adequate borrowing base and to meet its revised covenants with the Bank. [ 72 ] Additionally, Mr.
Ostridge expressed agreement with the following proposition: Whether the auditor has performed an audit in accordance with Generally Accepted Auditing Standards is determined by the audit procedures performed in the circumstances, the sufficiency and appropriateness of the audit evidence obtained as a result thereof and the suitability of the auditor’s report based on an evaluation of that evidence. [ 73 ] In a January 27, 2009 letter to Mr. Tozer, which was admitted in evidence in the course of Mr.
Ostridge’s cross-examination, Grant Thornton explained that an auditor conducting an audit in accordance with Generally Accepted Auditing Standards “obtains reasonable assurance that the financial statements taken as a whole are free of material misstatement, whether caused by fraud or error.” The letter goes on to emphasize that it is “important to recognize that an auditor cannot obtain absolute assurance that material misstatements in the financial statements will be detected.” The letter further makes the point that Grant Thornton “cannot guarantee that fraud, error and illegal acts, if present, will be detected when conducting an audit in accordance with Canadian Generally Accepted Auditing Standards.” [ 74 ] Finally, Mr.
Ostridge stated Grant Thornton’s audit-related files include the following: its audit plan; the identity of the personnel involved in the audit; the data received and relied upon; the verifications and assumptions made, and action taken; the data and representations provided by Atcon; the analyses and testing conducted; the instances in which professional judgement was exercised; the evidence found to be persuasive and the supporting reasons; and third party confirmation letters and source documents received. Mr.
Ostridge confirmed the essential role of the audit files in determining whether an audit was performed in accordance with Generally Accepted Auditing Standards and reiterated that an audit is not a guarantee that the financial statements are free from material misstatements. G. Rule 31 and documentary production [ 75 ] Rule 31.02(2) reads as follows:
31.02(2) Every document which relates to a matter in issue in an action and which is in the possession or control of a party to the action, shall be produced for inspection if requested, as provided in this rule, unless privilege is claimed in respect of that document. 31.02(2) Tout document qui a trait à une question en litige dans une action et dont une
partie a la possession ou le contrôle doit, sur demande, être produit pour examen conformément à la présente règle, à moins qu’il n’y ait revendication de privilège à son égard. The Province requested production of Grant Thornton’s audit-related files, including all of its audit working papers and the documentation filed in support of its submission to the New Brunswick Institute for Chartered Accountants that the Province’s complaint was vexatious and frivolous.
Grant Thornton has not claimed a privilege in respect of those documents. [ 76 ] Rule 31.03(2) provides as follows: 31.03(2) Within 10 days after receipt of a Notice Requiring Affidavit of Documents a party shall file and serve on every other party an Affidavit of Documents (Form 31B). 31.03(2) La
partie qui reçoit un avis de production d’un affidavit des documents doit, dans les 10 jours, déposer et signifier à chaque autre
partie un affidavit des documents (formule 31B). Had Grant Thornton complied with its obligations under Rule 31.03(2), it would have listed in
Schedule “A” of its Affidavit of Documents the documents in its audit-related files, and it would have had to produce for inspection those documents. As noted, Grant Thornton has not claimed any privilege over the documents in question. H. The gist of the decisions under appeal
(1) Preliminary decision dated March 15, 2018 ( 2018 NBQB 63 ) [ 77 ] The judge’s preliminary decision deals with a host of procedural issues. Its salient parts bear reproducing for contextualization purposes: On March 2, 2018 the Province filed a motion to adjourn or dismiss the
summary judgment motions pending completion of documentary discovery. In the alternative it requests that the motions be adjourned or dismissed until the defendants produce,
a) their full working papers and audit files relating to the audit referred to in the May [19], 2009 Opinion Letter [to John Watt]; and
b) all written submissions made by [Grant Thornton] LLP and [Kent] Ostridge to the New Brunswick Institute of Chartered Accountants in response to a complaint against them filed by the Province wherein the defendants argued that the materials submitted in support of the complaint were insufficient for the complaint to be referred to a Disciplinary Panel (the “key documents”). In its motion the Province also requests leave to cross-examine Kent Ostridge, Norman Victor Raynard and Jonathan Block (“the deponents”) on the key documents as well as their affidavits filed in support of the
summary judgment motions. It also requested leave to file Replies to the two statements of defence.
Prior to the hearing the Province also notified the defendants and the court of its intention to object to the admissibility of certain paragraphs of the Ostridge, Raynard, Block and Munroe affidavits filed in support of the motions as well as certain exhibits attached to those affidavits. [As will be seen, the Notice of Appeal takes issue with the judge’s rejection of the Province’s objection to the admissibility of some paragraphs and exhibits that form part of Mr. Ostridge’s and Ms.
Monroe’s affidavit evidence.] […] The defendants opposed the Province’s motion to file Replies, primarily on the basis of the lengthy delay since they agreed in November, 2014 that the pleadings were closed. However, leave was granted at the close of argument on the grounds , inter alia, that while it has been a long time since the pleadings closed, the litigation has not proceeded to the point where late filing of the Replies would cause prejudice to the defendants.
Those Replies have now been filed. […] In my view the special circumstances that justify an order for cross-examination in this case are the complexity of the litigation and the potential finality of this type of motion.
Based on those factors, combined with the dispute as to the effect of the [RSM Richter] report as portrayed in both the Ostridge and Raynard affidavits and the [Ernst & Young] report in the Ostridge affidavit and the fact that the deponents are available for cross-examination, I will exercise my discretion and order that both Kent Ostridge and Norman Victor Raynard appear before this court to be cross-examined and re-examined on their affidavits.
The only limit I will place on cross-examination of matters raised in their affidavits will be in respect to the proceedings before the [New Brunswick Institute of Chartered Accountants]. I am not persuaded that the position taken by the defendants in that proceeding which the Province initiated in December 2012, is relevant to the issue of whether or not the Province knew or ought to have known that it had a cause of action against the defendants before June 23, 2012 which is what the moving parties must prove to succeed in these motions.
Consequently, I will only allow cross-examination concerning the [New Brunswick Institute of Chartered Accountants] proceeding on the issue of what other documents were disclosed to the defendants as part of that process. The Province has provided no grounds whatsoever for cross-examining Jonathan Block on [Grant Thornton International’s] motion so its application for leave to do so is dismissed. [paras. 9-13, 16, 28-30] [ 78 ] Some of the judge’s evidentiary rulings are challenged in the Notice of Appeal and the Province’s grounds for doing so are outlined later in these reasons, for the sake of thoroughness.
However, none were pursued in the Province’s written submission and at the hearing on appeal. Given my reasons for setting aside the
summary judgment no useful purpose would be served by addressing those grounds beyond acknowledging their inclusion in the Notice of Appeal.
(2) The February 25, 2019 decision on the motion for
summary judgment ( 2019 NBQB 36 ) [ 79 ] The following excerpts are particularly germane to the issues of if and when the Province discovered Grant Thornton’s failure to conduct its audit in accordance with Generally Accepted Auditing Standards: That leaves the issue of when, if ever, the Province knew or ought to have known that the defendants breached the standard of care. In the Statement of Claim the province alleges at paragraph 32: 32. Grant Thornton, negligently, and in breach of its duties to the Province: (
a) failed to conduct the F2009 Audit in accordance with GAAS; (
b) failed to exercise the care, diligence, and skill of an auditor of reasonable competence and prudence;
(
c) failed to exercise the care, diligence, and skill of an auditor with special knowledge and expertise in the consolidated business operations of Atcon (which Grant Thornton held itself out to possess); (
d) rendered an unqualified Opinion with respect to Atcon’s F2009 Audited Financial Statements when those statements did not present fairly, in all material respects the financial position of Atcon as at January 31, 2009 and the results of its operations and the changes in its financial position for the year then ended in accordance with GAAP; and (
e) acted in conflict of interest. (
a) The motions judge’s finding of March 18, 2010 as the starting date Knowledge of any one of those allegations would amount to knowledge that the defendants had breached the standard of care. I find that with the knowledge that the Province had by March 18, 2010 it ought to have been able to infer that the defendants had committed most, if not all of those breaches of the standard of care.
It may not have had all the information it needed to prove each of them but I find that given the rest of what it knew or ought to have known by then, the conclusion that the defendants had breached them would also have been inescapable. I therefore further find that by March 18, 2010 the Province had discovered that it had a potential claim against the defendants for negligence. While that finding disposes of these motions I feel it is incumbent on me to make provisional findings on what occurred later in case that finding is overturned. (
b) The motions judge’s finding of February 4, 2011 as an alternate starting date At this point it is worthwhile re-producing a portion of the Executive
Summary of the [RSM Richter] Report. After making the point that they took a conservative approach to quantifying accounts and did not utilize assumptions that would result in an overstatement of misstatements in the F2009 Financial Statements, [RSM Richter] states: ... Notwithstanding this approach, we are of the opinion that these financial statements have not been prepared in accordance with GAAP in all material respects.
We estimate that Atcon’s F2009 assets and net earnings had overstatements ranging between 28.3 million and 35.4 million dollars … That is a very strong opinion given that [RSM Richter] had no access to senior management’s knowledge, and that it is based on limited assumptions. While it does not comment on the [Grant Thornton] opinion, it directly contradicts it, presumably based in no small measure on [RSM Richter’s] alarming estimates of Atcon’s overstatement of its net assets and earnings.
Possibly the most telling evidence concerning the state of the Province’s knowledge arising from the [RSM Richter] Report is a letter from the Deputy Minister of Economic Development, Bill Levesque, dated December 21, 2012 to the New Brunswick Institute of Chartered Accountants in which he states that the Government of New Brunswick is proceeding with a formal complaint against Grant Thornton LLP.
In support of that complaint he encloses a copy of a single document, the RSM Richter Report, from which he highlights only its conclusion that “. . . the overstatement of net assets and earnings for Atcon’s F2009 ranged between 28.3 MM and 35.4 MM. (executive
summary -- pg. 6)”. I find that the mere fact that Mr. Levesque used that report as the basis for the complaint is sufficient to prove that the Province knew it had a potential claim against [Grant Thornton] LLP. Moreover, if the Province had that state of knowledge when it filed the complaint then it had that state of knowledge in February, 2011 when it received the draft of that Report.
While the fact that the Province laid a complaint against [Grant Thornton] LLP does not necessarily equate to its having a cause of action against [Grant Thornton] LLP, in my view it is compelling evidence that by February, 2011 when it received the [RSM Richter] Report, the Province knew or ought to have known that it had the prima facie grounds to infer that [Grant Thornton] LLP had breached the standard of care in preparing the unqualified audit and that its loss was caused or contributed to by
an act or omission of [Grant Thornton] LLP, particularly when that knowledge is combined with what it knew as of March 18, 2010. (
c) The motions judge’s ultimate finding I therefore find that if the Province hadn’t already discovered its claim in March, 2010, after receiving the [RSM Richter] Report in February, 2011 it knew or ought to have known that it had prima facie grounds to infer that it had a potential cause of action against the defendants. There was no other party on whom it relied to protect its interests when it signed the guarantees. Therefore, given the knowledge it had at that time, I find that its claim was discovered and the limitation period commenced. In conclusion, I find that by March 18, 2010 the Province knew, or ought to have known, (
a) that a loss had occurred; (
b) that the loss was caused by or contributed to by
an act or omission; and (
c) that the act or omission was that of the defendants. Since this action was not commenced until June 23, 2014 I further find that whether the limitation period started to run in March, 2010 or February, 2011 the action was not commenced within the applicable two year limitation period which is set out in section 5(1)(
a) of the LAA and that the Province’s claim against the defendants is therefore statute-barred. [paras. 89-92, 103-10] [Our underlining throughout.] I.
The grounds of appeal [ 80 ] In the Notice of Appeal, the Province contends the motions judge erred in law in his March 15, 2018 preliminary rulings by: [1] admitting paragraphs 13-16, 22-23, 26 and Exhibits G, I, N, O and S of the September 29, 2017 Affidavit of Kent Ostridge and paragraph 3 and Exhibit A of the Affidavit of Miranda Joy Monroe into evidence when such evidence and exhibits are irrelevant, hearsay, opinions of persons not qualified as experts and/or create unfairness by selective disclosure; [2] relying upon the contents of Exhibit G to the aforementioned Ostridge Affidavit, being the August 4, 2009 Borrowing Base Report of Ernst & Young (“the EY Report”), despite the Evidentiary Ruling that the EY Report is not admissible for the truth of its contents; [3] refusing the Appellant’s request to cross-examine the Respondents’ deponents regarding the documentation they provided to the New Brunswick Institute of Chartered Accountants […]. [ 81 ] Given my conclusion that reversal is warranted on the basis that the motions judge applied the wrong legal test for s. 5(1)(
a) purposes and made a palpable and overriding error in finding the Province had the requisite knowledge of Grant Thornton’s breach of the audit-informing standard of care more than two years before it commenced the action, I decline to address the grounds enunciated in the preceding paragraph. Needless to say, that does not mean those grounds are without merit. [ 82 ] In its Notice of Appeal, the Province also complains the motions judge committed reversible error in making his February 25, 2019 decision to dismiss the action as time-barred by:
[1] interpreting […] the definition of “claim” at subsection 1(1) of the [ Act ] narrowly and in a manner inconsistent with the modern approach to statutory
interpretation; [2] misinterpreting and/or failing to apply the wording of subsections 5(1) and 5(2) of the [ Act ]; [3] applying a test for discoverability based upon inferences (“ prima facie grounds to infer”) rather than knowledge of material facts; [4] finding that there is no genuine issue requiring a trial in relation to discoverability […]; [5] finding that the [Province]’s claims against the Respondents, Grant Thornton LLP and Kent Ostridge had been discovered when the evidence is that the [Province] does not know and could not reasonably have known of
an act or omission [by Grant Thornton] that caused or contributed to its loss; [6] finding that the [Province]’s claim against the Respondent, Grant Thornton International Ltd. had been discovered when there is no evidence at all on the record establishing the [Province]’s discovery of same; [7] finding that [Ernst & Young]’s conclusion that Atcon’s June 6, 2009 borrowing base was overstated by millions of dollars necessitated an inference that [Grant Thornton] breached the standard of care in their January 31, 2009 audit when the overwhelming evidence before the Court, including the uncontested evidence of an author of the [Ernst & Young] Report, was that one has nothing to do with the other; [8] basing his provisional findings on a 2011 [Draft Report] from [RSM Richter] despite the uncontested evidence from an author that the [RSM Richter] Report does not provide an opinion in relation to [Grant Thornton]’s audit and that no such opinion could […] have been provided as the material facts necessary to provide same are contained in [Grant Thornton]’s audit file which was not accessible to [RSM Richter]; [9] granting
summary judgment to [Grant Thornton] when they have refused to deliver their Affidavits of Documents and
Schedule A documents, and when key material facts relating to discoverability and/or concealment are within [Grant Thornton]’s exclusive control and have not been disclosed; and [10] finding that the [Province] had access to all documents [Grant Thornton] tendered in the NBICA process when such fact is inconsistent with the evidence on the record and the [Province]’s requests to challenge this point through cross-examination were dismissed by the Court. [ 83 ] My focus will be on the grounds set out in the preceding paragraph, but only to the extent they bear upon the identification of the correct legal test for s. 5(1)(
a) purposes and the palpable and overriding error in connection with the finding that the Province discovered Grant Thornton’s audit was sub-standard more than two years before it commenced the underlying action. Of course, that approach should not be understood as suggesting the un-addressed grounds are without merit. J. The relief sought on appeal [ 84 ] In addition to costs throughout, the Province seeks reversal of the
summary judgment and an order compelling Grant Thornton to comply with its documentary obligations under Rule 31. It does not seek relief under Rules 22.05(1) and (2), which read as follows:
22.05 If a Trial is Necessary
(1) If
summary judgment is refused, or is granted in part only, and a trial is necessary, the court may order that the action be set down for trial in the normal course or within a specified time and may specify the material facts which are not in dispute and may define the remaining issues where they are not sufficiently defined in the pleadings.
(2) If it is ordered that an action proceed to trial in whole or in part, the court may impose the terms and conditions as are just, including directions (
a) for payment into court of the whole or part of the claim and, in addition to or in lieu of payment into court of the whole or part of the claim, for provision of security for costs, and (
b) that the scope of examinations for discovery be limited to matters not covered by the affidavits filed on the motion and the cross-examinations on the motions, and that the affidavits and cross-examinations be used in addition to or instead of examinations for discovery. 22.05 Nécessité d’un procès (1) Lorsque le jugement
sommaire est refusé ou qu’il n’est accordé qu’en
partie et que la tenue d’un procès s’avère nécessaire, la cour peut ordonner la mise au rôle de l’action dans son cours normal ou dans un délai déterminé, préciser les faits déterminants qui ne sont pas contestés et définir les questions qui restent en litige, si celles-ci ne sont pas suffisamment définies dans les plaidoiries.
(2) En ordonnant l’instruction entière ou partielle d’une action, la cour peut imposer les modalités et les conditions qu’elle estime justes, y compris des directives concernant à la fois :
a) la co