2023 NBCA 36, 2023 NBCA 36
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 134-22-CA S.P. APPELLANT S.P. APPELANTE - and - - et - THE MINISTER OF SOCIAL DEVELOPMENT RESPONDENT LA MINISTRE DU DÉVELOPPEMENT SOCIAL INTIMÉE S.P. v. The Minister of Social Development, 2023 NBCA 36 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Green The Honourable Justice Baird The Honourable Justice French S.P. c.
La ministre du Développement social, 2023 NBCA 36 CORAM : l’honorable juge Green l’honorable juge Baird l’honorable juge French Appeal from a decision of the Court of King’sBench: November 22, 2022 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc du Roi : le 22 novembre 2022 History of Case: Historique de la cause :Decision under appeal: 2022 NBKB 228 Décision frappée d’appel : 2022 NBKB 228 , 2022 NBBR 228 Preliminary or incidental proceedings: None Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : aucune Appeal heard: March 28, 2023 Appel entendu : le 28 mars 2023 Judgment rendered: June 1, 2023 Jugement rendu : le 1 juin 2023
Reasons for judgment: The Honourable Justice Baird Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Green The Honourable Justice French Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: Ben Reentovich For the respondent: Corry A. Toole, K.C. Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge Baird Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Green l’honorable juge French Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appelante : Ben Reentovich Pour l’intimée : Corry A. Toole, c.r. THE COURT The appeal is dismissed without costs. LA COUR L’appel est rejeté sans dépens. The judgment of the Court was delivered by BAIRD, J.A. I.
Introduction [1] This case concerns a judge’s decision to grant two of eight siblings a right of access and visitation with theirmother, S.P., following a hearing in which the custody of the two was granted to their biological father, G.C. The remaining six childrenare the subject of a guardianship order under the Family Services Act, S.N.B. 1980 c. F.-2.2 (the “Act”), in which no access was grantedbetween the children and their mother. The mother asserts the judge’s decision creates an inconsistent disposition as among the siblings,and it constitutes an error in principle.
The mother further submits the cultural standard that was applied to two of the children shouldalso have been applied to the remaining six and, as a result, the judge erred in principle. [2] The decision to grant a guardianship order is not in contest. All eight of the siblings were granted accessamong themselves to ensure ongoing continuity in their relationships.
The central question, and focus of this appeal, is to determinewhether the judge’s order concerning the post-guardianship access and visitation of the six children accords with the Supreme Court’sdecision in New Brunswick (Minister of Health and Community Services) v. L. (M.), (CSC), [1998] 2 S.C.R. 534,[1998] S.C.J. No. 52 (QL). II. Background
[ 3 ] G.C. was named as a respondent in the Minister’s application for the permanent guardianship of the eight children. He filed an application on September 29, 2022, in which he sought sole parenting time, and decision-making authority in respect of P.K.C. and A.T.C.W., under ss. 52(3) and 52(4) (
b) and s. 54 of the Family Law Act , S.N.B. 2020, c. 23 . The Minister withdrew her guardianship application with respect to these two children in closing argument, and, as noted, their custody was granted to G.C. [ 4 ] C.P. is the biological father of five of the remaining six siblings, D.L. is the biological father of the last child. At the time of the guardianship hearing, C.P. was homeless and living in a tent in the Saint John area, and D.L. had not meaningfully participated in any of the interim proceedings.
Neither C.P. nor D.L. attended the final hearing. [ 5 ] In his 203-paragraph decision, the judge provided a detailed history of the numerous proceedings and interventions that predated the Minister’s decision to file an application for guardianship. In total, there were affidavits filed by 11 individuals who had been actively engaged by the Minister to assist with family reunification, and to address the many problems identified by the Minister as posing a danger to the health and safety of the children. [ 6 ] The judge noted there were 15 previous orders from the Court of Queen’s Bench (as it was then).
They start in November 2020 with a Supervisory Order and continue with three Protective Care Orders, five Procedural Orders, two interim Custody Orders, three Custody Orders, and an order granting G.C. state-funded counsel. [ 7 ] In his reasons, the judge noted the following: The Minister’s involvement with S.P. dates to 2008, and to 2005 for C.P. Since 2017, there have been 12 investigations by the Minister in connection with S.P. and C.P. together as parents.
The history of the file demonstrates that the focus for the Minister has been how the parenting of the Respondents has affected the emotional/physical development and well-being of the children, in addition to issues of housing and domestic violence. [Page 14 of the Record]. [para. 11] [ 8 ] The judge divided his analysis into the following sub-categories, which were individually discussed:
a) Parenting and visit attendance;
b) Housing concerns; and
c) Domestic violence. [ 9 ] In all, 64 paragraphs of the decision were devoted to a review of the evidence concerning the parents’ history of drug abuse, homelessness, mental health issues, violence in the home, frequent moves, lice and bed bugs, home and food insecurity, and allegations of child abuse. One of the lead social workers, Ms. Patricia Scott, deposed the following, as reproduced by the judge, in an affidavit sworn September 26, 2022: The concerns that have led to the Department’s involvement and eventual removal of the children have been long standing.
Attempts to work with both [S.P.] and [C.P.] through case planning have been challenging due to the chaotic nature of their relationship and lifestyles. Both [S.P.] and [C.P.] have a long history of unhealthy relationships [resulting in physical] and verbal abuse with each other and previous/current partners. The basic physical and emotional needs of the children have been neglected due to chronic homelessness, drug misuse, food insecurity, lack of medical and dental care, inconsistent nurturing, lack of routine and structure in the home and [intimate] partner violence.
Efforts to address these significant concerns through case planning and engagement of the parents have stalled. The children have little and inconsistent contact with [S.P.] and [C.P.] as parents do not attend visits consistently or frequently. The Minister seeks this Guardianship Order to provide these children with permanency. We would be recommending adoption. Although this is a large sibling group, we would always start by exploring the siblings be together whenever possible and that sibling contact be supported.
This would also be recommended if [G.C.] retains custody of [A.T.W.] and [P.K.C.] It would be the recommendation of the Minister that there be no contact ordered for [S.P.] and [ C.P. ]. [para. 117] [ 10 ] In granting custody of P.K.C. and A.T.C.W. to their father, G.C., the judge distinguished the criteria set out in the Family Law Act with respect to private custody and access disputes from those set out in the Act in guardianship hearings.
There was abundant evidence to support the judge’s decision that continuing access of the six remaining children with their mother post- guardianship was not in their best interests.
[11] For the reasons that follow, it is my opinion the decision accords with L. (M.), as well as the jurisprudence onpost-guardianship access. Since I see no error in the trial judge’s decision that would warrant appellate intervention, I would dismiss theappeal. III. Grounds of Appeal [12] S.P. asks that the decision and order be reversed and an order issue granting the children access and visitationto her for the following reasons: 1.
The trial judge erred in law in not preserving a right of post-guardianship access to the children in the proceedings based on thetotality of the evidence presented at trial; and 2. The inconsistent dispositions regarding the children amounted to an error in principle. IV. Standard of Review [13] The standard of review in child protection cases has been discussed by this Court on many occasions.
Appellatereview is narrow and limited to those cases where it is determined the trial judge’s decision has no factual merit or was based on an errorin principle, a failure to consider all relevant factors or the consideration of an irrelevant factor: New Brunswick (Minister of Health andCommunity Services) v. C. (G.C.), (CSC), [1988] 1 S.C.R. 1073, [1988] S.C.J. No. 48 (QL). [14] Richard J.A. (as he then was), in S.B. v. Minister of Family and Community Services, 2006 NBCA 41, [2006]N.B.J.
No. 167 (QL), acknowledged the circumstances when appellate intervention may be justified are limited, citing six cases from theCourt which steadfastly support that principle. [15] In recent years, the Court has heard several appeals concerning post-guardianship access. The message hasbeen the same. In the absence of palpable and overriding error in a judge’s treatment of the facts, or an error in principle or an error oflaw that would invoke the correctness standard, the Court will not interfere with a trial judge’s exercise of discretion (see C.A. v. Ministerof Families and Children, 2018 NBCA 67, [2018] N.B.J.
No. 246 (QL); J.C. v. Minister of Families and Children, 2020 NBCA 24,[2020] N.B.J. No. 80 (QL); M.V. and C.H. v. Minister of Social Development, 2021 NBCA 42, [2021] N.B.J. No. 234 (QL)). V. Analysis [16] As noted, S.P. argues the disposition is inconsistent because six of the children were not granted access to her,and this inconsistency constitutes an error in principle. [17] The distinction between the granting of a parenting order made under s. 52 of the Family Law Act and theeffect of an order for the permanent guardianship of children made under s. 56(1) of the Act is not in dispute.
In the latter, all parentalrights are severed, and the Minister assumes full legal responsibility for the ongoing care of the children who are the subjects of theorder. Parenting orders, on the other hand, are crafted to address the unique fact-based nature of private child custody and accessdisputes. Such orders do not sever parental rights; rather, they create an orderly and prescribed way for children to continue to havemaximum contact with both parents, provided it is found to be in their best interests. [18] It is settled law that access is the right of the child. In D.S. and A.C. v.
The Minister of Social Development,2021 NBCA 25, [2021] N.B.J. No. 128 (QL), the Court reiterated that “access is not the right of the parent; it is the right of the child”(para. 62). This is consistent with previous statements on point. In Minister of Social Development v. M.G. and B.B., 2012 NBCA 19, 383N.B.R. (2d) 394, the Court concluded:
The preservation of a child’s right of access to his or her biological parents despite a guardianship order is reserved for rare situations:see T.L.M. v. Department of Social Development (formerly the Minister of Family and Community Services), 2009 NBCA 8, 341 N.B.R.(2d) 33, citing New Brunswick (Minister of Health and Community Services) v. L.(M.), (CSC), [1998] 2 S.C.R. 534,[1998] S.C.J. No. 52 (QL).
As stated in L.(M.), access is the exception and not the rule and “[t]he decision as to whether or not to grantaccess is a delicate exercise which requires that the [trial] judge weigh the various components of the best interests of the child” (para.51). […] [para. 2] [19] In J.F. v. T.E. and G.E., 2010 NBCA 14, 354 N.B.R. (2d) 260, the Court discussed the modern
interpretation ofthe best interests of a child test (paras. 15-31). Simply stated, parents are charged with the responsibility for the care and supervision oftheir children. The Act is a child protection statute not a parental rights statute: Winnipeg Child and Family Services v. K.L.W., 2000 SCC48, [2000] 2 S.C.R. 519. Post-guardianship access orders are exceptional.
This is so because when a guardianship order issues, a judgehas determined it is not in the best interests of a child, or children, to remain in the care of, and under the supervision of, their parents.Once that determination is made, the onus shifts to the parents to establish that ongoing contact is in the children’s best interests. [20] As part of his global best interests of the child analysis, the judge in this case determined that the two childrenwho were born to S.P. and G.C. (aged seven and six at the time of the hearing) would have circumscribed access to their mother, subjectto the father’s right to unilaterally terminate the visits.
The judge’s decision to delegate to G.C. the authority to vary the order on his ownis not under appeal. This is what he wrote: After careful consideration, I find that it is in the children, P.K.C. and A.T.C.W.’s best interests to provide S.P. with limited parentingtime with them, and more specifically, once per week. G.C. shall have the discretion to decide when and where the visits take place, theduration of the visits and whether they are supervised or not. G.C. shall have the discretion to end a visit if he believes that the visit iscontrary to the children’s safety or well-being.
Lastly, G.C. shall also have the discretion to terminate all visits if S.P. does notconsistently attend or request them, fails to reasonably communicate with G.C., and/or if S.P. is otherwise acting in a manner that isinconsistent with the children’s safety and well-being. [para. 199] [21] In reaching this conclusion, the judge carefully conducted a best interests of the child analysis, referring toeach of the factors set out in ss. 50(2) and (3) of the Family Law Act.
One of the factors he considered was the children’s cultural,linguistic, religious and spiritual upbringing and heritage, including their First Nations heritage. He found that continuing contactbetween P.K.C. and A.T.C.W. and S.P. would serve as a “link” to their Indigenous culture. [22] The mother argues that, because she is a member of a First Nations community, all of the children should haveaccess with her to ensure a continuity and maintenance of cultural values. The judge dealt with this issue when he wrote: In this case, the Court inquired about whether the Minister gave Notice under section 12(1) of
An Act respecting First Nations, Inuitand Metis Children, Youth and Families, S.C. 2019, c. 24, if in fact the children were Indigenous. Section 21(1) reads as follows: Notice 12
(1) In the context of providing child and family services in relation to an Indigenous child, to the extent that doing so is consistentwith the best interests of the child, before taking any significant measure in relation to the child, the service provider must provide noticeof the measure to the child’s parent and the care provider, as well as to the Indigenous governing body that acts on behalf of theIndigenous group, community or people to which the child belongs and that has informed the service provider that they are acting onbehalf of that Indigenous group, community or people. [Emphasis in original; para. 137] [23] The evidence was uncontradicted that the mother does not have a direct connection to the Elsipogtog FirstNation and has not lived in her First Nation community, in Prince Edward Island, for many years.
There was no evidence the childrenwere being educated in Indigenous traditions, nor that she was sharing the cultural or traditional values of their heritage with them. [24] In my view, the judge’s conclusion to grant two of the children limited access with their mother can be readilydistinguished from that made for the remaining six children, for the following reasons:
a) As a result of the order to grant G.C. custody, the mother’s parental rights to P.K.C. and A.T.C.W. remain intact, and there was no motion made to terminate access with their mother following the granting of their custody to G.C.;
b) The mother’s parental rights to S.L.W.-L., K.P.W., R.D.P., P.A.P., L.C.P. and C.J.P. were severed with the granting of guardianship to the Minister;
c) G.C. has no connection to the First Nations community and cannot assist with the cultural imperative set out in s. 50(2) (
a) of the Family Law Act . Although there was no evidence concerning the mother’s link to her First Nations identity, the court accepted that she considers herself to be a member of that community, and this link would ensure a minimum connection for the children, particularly so, given that the biological father C.P. is a member of the First Nations community;
d) The Minister plans to place the remaining six children in care in the Elsipogtog First Nation, as noted, with a view to having them adopted. This placement would recognize, and will allow them to have, a link with their cultural heritage;
e) Access and visitation orders are routinely made in private child custody cases. In cases where a guardianship order has issued, these orders are considered exceptional, as noted. Once the order was made in this case, the burden shifted to the mother to make the case for continued access with the remaining six children. She provided no evidence to support how such an order would benefit the children; and
f) The two orders comply with the Family Law Act and the Act , and it cannot be said the judge failed to note the distinction. In fact, he provided two sets of analyses in his reasons. The first analysis starts at para. 143 under Issue 3 – Post-Guardianship Access. The second analysis starts at para. 154, under Issue 4 – Parenting Time for S.P. pursuant to the Family Law Act . [ 25 ] Both analyses were done properly, in my opinion. The overwhelming evidence is that the Minister’s plan for the remaining six children offers them stability and certainty and is in keeping with their best interests.
The judge, in fact, referred to S.P.’s history of non-attendance at visits, noting she had minimal contact with the children for several months prior to the hearing. [ 26 ] In assessing the risks associated with the mother’s erratic attendance at visits, weighed against the attendant disruption to the children, along with the fact the Minister intends to place them for adoption, it is my opinion the resulting decision accords with the objectives of the Act . [ 27 ] I turn now to S.P.’s secondary submission.
Before us, she suggested there remains confusion in New Brunswick as to when access should be granted following a guardianship order. This submission is grounded in the fact there have been several appeals arising from these orders, and S.P. argues there should be greater clarity from the Court. The respondent states otherwise. I agree with the respondent. To set the stage for the resulting disposition in this case, I provide a brief review of the jurisprudence. [ 28 ] In L. (M.) , Gonthier J., rendering judgment for the Supreme Court, made it clear that post-guardianship access orders are the exception.
The focus of his analysis was on the “prime importance” of a child’s emotional stability (paras. 51-52), and he further concluded that, in the event the Minister intends to place the children for adoption, access to the biological parents should be discouraged. As he stated, and it is generally accepted, the post-adoption process could be impeded should access be granted. He wrote: My consideration of whether access should be granted is based on the following principles. First, there is no inconsistency in principle between a permanent guardianship order and an access order.
Second, access is the exception and not the rule. Third, the principle of preserving family ties cannot come into play in respect of granting access unless it is in the best interests of the child to do so, having regard to all the other relevant factors. Fourth, an adoption, which is in the best interests of the child, must not be hampered by the existence of a right of access.
Fifth, access should not be granted if its exercise would have negative effects on the physical or psychological health of the child. [para. 39] [ 29 ] In M.G. and B.B. , Richard J.A. wrote that the preservation of a child’s right of access to his or her biological parent, despite a guardianship order, is reserved for rare situations, and he applied L. (M.) (para. 2 ), where Gonthier J. set out the principled approach to the analysis noted above. See also N.J.P. v. The Minister of Social Development , 2012 NBCA 3 , 382 N.B.R. (2d) 245.
[30] In C.A., Quigg J.A. upheld a judge’s decision not to grant post-guardianship access of a child to a father. In heranalysis, she referred to The Minister of Social Development v. G.B., F.H. and R.O., 2012 NBCA 62, 392 N.B.R. (2d) 209, where theCourt reiterated the analytic criteria that flow from L. (M.), as discussed. [31] In J.P. and R.D. v. The Minister of Social Development, 2022 NBCA 57, [2022] N.B.J. No. 227 (QL), oneparent appealed a judge’s decision not to grant post-guardianship access with respect to three children.
The Court upheld the judge’sdecision that post-guardianship access was not in the best interests of the children. On the adoption issue, the Court, quoting from D.S.and A.C., wrote: […] I add here the fact the Minister argues that ongoing access between a parent and child may hinder the adoption process should not takepriority over access, when a court concludes it is in a child’s best interests to continue to have a relationship with his or her parents (seeM.A.G., Re. (1986), (NB CA), 73 N.B.R. (2d) 443, [1986] N.B.J. No. 126 (QL); Nouveau-Brunswick (Ministre de laSanté et des Services communautaires) v.
L.L., [1997] N.B.J. No. 417 (QL); Nouveau-Brunswick (Ministre de la santé et des Servicescommunautaires) v. L.L. et N.L. (1990), (NB BR), 109 N.B.R. (2d) 202, [1990] N.B.J. No. 727 (QL)). In J.C. v. Minister of Families and Children, 2020 NBCA 24, [2020] N.B.J. No. 126 (QL), the Court was asked to overturn a judge’sdecision to make a guardianship order with no right of access to the father. The father argued the judge had “supplanted” the bestinterests of the child analysis with minimal evidence an access order would impede the adoption of the children.
In rejecting the father’sargument, we concluded the decision not to grant the children access to their father was not exclusively anchored to the adoption issue,and we opined the preservation of access following a guardianship order does not hinge exclusively on whether the adoption processwould be hampered (para. 16). The Court has affirmed these principles in The Minister of Social Development v. G.B., F.H. and R.O.,2012 NBCA 62, 392 N.B.R. (2d) 209; N.J.P. v. The Minister of Social Development, 2012 NBCA 3, 382 N.B.R. (2d) 245; C.A. v.Minister of Families and Children, 2018 NBCA 67, [2018] N.B.J.
No. 246 (QL). [paras. 63-65] […] [para. 61] [32] The decision not to grant children access to their biological parents following the issuance of a guardianshiporder does not depend exclusively on the risk of undermining the adoption process. It is a decision taken in consideration of the evidenceas a whole and in the best interests of the child. As Gonthier J. noted in L. (M.), there may be cases where post-guardianship access isfound to be in a child’s best interests. [33] In S.M. and J.C. v. Minister of Social Development, 2022 NBCA 67, [2022] N.B.J.
No. 292 (QL), French J.A.,writing for the Court, applied L. (M.) and observed: These principles have guided the analysis of the courts of New Brunswick for almost 25 years (see, for example, D.S. and A.C. v. TheMinister of Social Development, 2021 NBCA 25, [2021] N.B.J. No. 128 (QL); and J.P. and R.D. v. The Minister of Social Development,2022 NBCA 57, [2022] N.B.J. No. 227 (QL)), and they are not in issue in this case. […] [para. 62] [34] Recently, in Minister of Social Development v. V.L.C. et al., 2023 NBCA 12, [2023] N.B.J.
No. 37 (QL),LeBlanc J.A., rendering judgment for the Court, allowed the Minister’s appeal, and the order of the lower court was amended such thatno access was reserved for the children to their mother. The primary ground of appeal was the judge’s finding there were exceptionalcircumstances which warranted a preservation of the right of access post-guardianship. [35] On this point, LeBlanc J.A. concluded the judge erred in focussing “almost exclusively on V.L.C. rather thanconsidering how preserving access could benefit the children or be in their best interests” (para. 23).
She aptly noted the “best interests”analysis should not be undertaken from the perspective of the parent. The Court considered the evidence concerning chaotic visits withV.L.C., as well as the negative impact on the children, and concluded there was no basis to deviate from the “normative principles”
relating to post-guardianship access (para. 28). [ 36 ] Similarly, the judge in this case, following a thorough review of the evidence, which, as noted, chronicled a lengthy history of instability on the part of the mother and irregular attendance for access visits, determined there were no demonstrated “exceptional circumstances” to support the granting of access. In D.S. and A.C. , this Court drew the following principles from Gonthier J.’s reasons in L. (M.) : a. There is no inconsistency in principle between a guardianship order and an access order; b. While a liberal
interpretation of the Act is appropriate, the best interests of the child are the primary consideration and the preservation of family ties is subordinate (para. 46); c. If adoption is more important for the ongoing welfare of a child, and it would be jeopardized if a right of access were exercised, access should not be granted; d. In considering whether to preserve a child’s right of access with his or her parents, a judge is required to weigh the various components of the best interests of the child. Evidence concerning how access has historically been exercised becomes particularly relevant; and e.
Access should not be granted if it would have a negative effect on the physical or psychological health of the child (para. 51). [para. 66] See also V.L.C. , at para. 22. [ 37 ] In sum, I see no inconsistency in the Court’s
interpretation and application of the principles set out in L. (M.) . Those principles were applied by the judge in this case when he concluded there were no exceptional circumstances to justify the granting of post-guardianship access to the remaining six children who were the subjects of a guardianship order. The criteria for post- guardianship access are readily distinguishable from those that apply to access and visitation orders made under the Family Law Act . I would therefore dismiss the appeal. VI.
Disposition [ 38 ] I see no reason to interfere with the application judge’s decision and I would dismiss the appeal without costs. Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par LA JUGE BAIRD I. Introduction [1] Le présent appel porte sur la décision d’un juge d’accorder à deux des huit enfants de S.P. un droit d’accès et de visite auprès de leur mère à la suite d’une audience au cours de laquelle la garde de ces deux enfants avait été attribuée à leur père biologique, G.C. Les six autres enfants font l’objet d’une ordonnance de tutelle rendue sous le régime de la
Loi sur les services à la famille , L.N.-B. 1980 ch. F.-2.2, qui ne prévoit pas d’accès entre ces enfants et leur mère. La mère affirme que la décision du juge établit
des dispositions incompatibles, du point de vue des enfants entre eux, et constitue une erreur de principe. Elle soutient en outre que lecritère d’ordre culturel que le juge a appliqué dans le cas de ces deux enfants aurait dû être appliqué dans le cas des six autres et que, dece fait, il a commis une erreur de principe. [2] La décision d’ordonner la tutelle n’est pas contestée. Le juge a accordé à chacun des huit enfants un droitd’accès auprès de ses frères et sœurs par souci d’assurer le maintien de la stabilité de leurs rapports. La question essentielle, et l’objet duprésent appel, est celle de savoir si l’ordonnance rendue par le juge à l’égard des six autres enfants, au
chapitre de l’accès et des visitespostérieurs à la tutelle, s’accorde avec l’arrêt que la Cour suprême a prononcé dans Nouveau-Brunswick (Ministre de la Santé et des Services communautaires) c. L. (M.), (CSC), [1998] 2 R.C.S. 534, [1998] A.C.S. no 52 (QL). II. Contexte [3] La demande de la Ministre sollicitant la tutelle permanente des huit enfants constituait G.C.
partie intimée. Le29 septembre 2022, G.C. a déposé une requête priant la Cour de lui accorder, à lui exclusivement, le temps parental de même que lesresponsabilités décisionnelles à l’égard de P.K.C. et d’A.T.C.W. en vertu du par. 52(3), de l’al. 52(4)
b) et de l’art. 54 de la
Loi sur ledroit de la famille, L.N.-B. 2020, ch. 23. Dans sa plaidoirie de clôture, la Ministre a retiré la demande de tutelle de ces deux enfants.Nous avons vu que leur garde a été confiée à G.C. [4] C.P. est le père biologique de cinq des six autres enfants, tandis que D.L. est le père biologique de la sixième.Au moment de l’audience de tutelle, C.P. était itinérant et vivait dans une tente, dans la région de Saint John, et D.L. n’avait pris une partréelle à aucune des procédures interlocutoires.
Ni C.P. ni D.L. ne se sont présentés à l’audience finale. [5] Dans une décision comptant 203 paragraphes, le juge a dressé un historique détaillé des nombreusesprocédures et interventions qui avaient précédé la décision de la Ministre de demander la tutelle.
Des affidavits ont été produits, au total,par onze personnes que la Ministre avait chargées d’aider activement à la réunification de la famille et de remédier aux nombreuxproblèmes qui lui paraissaient menacer la santé et la sécurité des enfants. [6] Le juge a indiqué que la Cour du Banc de la Reine (ainsi nommée à l’époque) avait rendu quinzeordonnances antérieures.
La première, une ordonnance de surveillance remontant à novembre 2020, avait été suivie de trois ordonnancesde placement sous un régime de protection, de cinq ordonnances procédurales, de deux ordonnances de garde provisoires, de troisordonnances de garde et d’une ordonnance octroyant à G.C. les services d’un avocat rémunéré par l’État. [7] Dans ses motifs, le juge a indiqué ce qui suit : [TRADUCTION]Les interventions de la Ministre remontent à 2008, dans le cas de S.P., à 2005 dans le cas de C.P. Depuis 2017, douze enquêtes de laMinistre ont touché à la fois S.P. et C.P. en tant que parents.
Les pièces successives du dossier montrent que la Ministre s’est préoccupéeprincipalement de l’effet, sur le bien-être et sur le développement affectifs et physiques des enfants, du parentage des intimés, de mêmeque des problèmes de logement et de violence domestique [p. 14 du dossier]. [par. 11] [8] Le juge a scindé son analyse en trois thèmes abordés l’un après l’autre :
a) parentage et présence aux visites prévues;
b) difficultés de logement;
c) violence domestique. [9] Il a consacré en tout 64 paragraphes de la décision à l’examen de la preuve qui faisait état, à propos desparents, d’un passé d’abus de drogue, d’itinérance, de problèmes de santé mentale, de violence domestique, de déménagementsfréquents, de présence de poux et de punaises de lit, d’insécurité alimentaire, d’insécurité quant au logement et d’allégations demaltraitance d’enfants. Le texte ci-dessous, reproduit par le juge, est extrait de l’affidavit du 26 septembre 2022 de l’une des
travailleuses sociales responsables, Mme Patricia Scott : [TRADUCTION]Les préoccupations qui ont entraîné, d’abord l’intervention du Ministère, ensuite le retrait des enfants, datent de loin. S’efforcer decollaborer tant avec [S.P.] qu’avec [C.P.], par le moyen de plans d’intervention, s’est avéré ardu en raison de leur relation tumultueuse etde leurs styles de vie chaotiques. [S.P.] et [C.P.] ont tous deux un long passé de relations nocives [empreintes de violences physiques] etde violences verbales entre eux ou à l’endroit de partenaires actuels ou anciens.
Les besoins physiques et affectifs fondamentaux desenfants ont été négligés en conséquence de l’itinérance chronique des parents, de l’usage abusif de drogues, d’une insécurité alimentaire,d’une absence de soins dentaires et médicaux, de soins nourriciers inconstants, d’un manque d’organisation et de structure à la maison etde violence entre partenaires [intimes]. Le travail entrepris dans le but de remédier à ces problèmes considérables, par des plansd’intervention et par la mise à contribution des parents, est au point mort.
Les enfants voient peu, et irrégulièrement, [S.P.] et [C.P.],étant donné que les parents ne se présentent ni régulièrement ni fréquemment aux visites prévues. La Ministre demande l’ordonnance detutelle pour procurer à ces enfants la permanence nécessaire. Nous recommanderions l’adoption. Nous estimons qu’il convient decommencer chaque fois par tâcher de faire en sorte que les frères et sœurs, même nombreux, comme ils le sont ici, soient le plus possibleréunis. Il convient sinon de favoriser le contact entre eux, ce qui serait recommandé également si [G.C.] conservait la garde d’[A.T.W.]et de [P.K.C.].
La Ministre recommanderait de ne pas ordonner de contact avec [S.P.] et [C.P.]. [par. 117] [10] En accordant la garde de P.K.C. et d’A.T.C.W. à leur père, G.C., le juge a distingué les critères de la
Loi sur ledroit de la famille applicables aux litiges privés portant sur la garde et l’accès, et les critères de la
Loi sur les services à la familleapplicables dans le contexte d’audiences de tutelle. La décision du juge, qui a conclu que maintenir l’accès des six autres enfants auprèsde leur mère après la tutelle ne servirait pas leur intérêt supérieur, s’appuyait sur une preuve abondante. [11] Pour les motifs qui suivent, j’estime que la décision s’accorde avec l’arrêt L. (M.), ainsi qu’avec lajurisprudence qui s’est établie en matière d’accès postérieur à la tutelle. Puisque je ne relève, dans la décision du juge du procès, aucuneerreur justifiant une intervention en appel, je suis d’avis de rejeter l’appel. III.
Moyens d’appel [12] S.P. prie la Cour d’infirmer la décision et l’ordonnance, et de rendre une ordonnance reconnaissant aux enfantsun droit d’accès et de visite auprès d’elle. Elle invoque les moyens ci-dessous : 1. le juge du procès a commis une erreur de droit en ne maintenant pas, pour les enfants visés par l’instance, un droit d’accèspostérieur à la tutelle, compte tenu de la totalité de la preuve présentée lors du procès; 2. l’énonciation de dispositions incompatibles à l’égard des enfants constituait une erreur de principe. IV.
Norme de contrôle [13] Notre Cour a traité à maintes reprises de la norme de contrôle applicable dans les affaires de protection del’enfance. Le contrôle exercé en appel est restreint et n’intervient que s’il est conclu que la solution prescrite par le juge du procès estdénuée de fondement dans les faits ou si cette solution est fondée sur une erreur de principe, sur le défaut de prendre en considérationtous les facteurs pertinents ou sur la considération d’un facteur dénué de pertinence : Nouveau-Brunswick (Ministre de la santé et des services communautaires) c.
C. (G.C.), (CSC), [1988] 1 R.C.S. 1073, [1988] A.C.S. no 48 (QL). [14] Le juge d’appel Richard (tel était alors son titre), dans S.B. c. Le Ministre des Services familiaux et communautaires, 2006 NBCA 41, [2006] A.N.-B. no 167 (QL), a écrit que les circonstances dans lesquelles une cour d’appel peutintervenir à bon droit sont limitées, puis il a cité six arrêts de notre Cour où s’exprime une adhésion résolue à ce principe. [15] Ces dernières années, notre Cour a entendu plusieurs appels portant sur l’accès postérieur à la tutelle. Lemessage est demeuré le même.
Sauf erreur manifeste et dominante dans le traitement qu’un juge a donné des faits, ou sauf erreur deprincipe ou erreur de droit faisant intervenir la norme de la décision correcte, la Cour n’interviendra pas dans l’exercice du pouvoir discrétionnaire d’un juge de première instance (C.A. c. Ministre des Familles et des Enfants, 2018 NBCA 67, [2018] A.N.-B. no 246
(QL); J.C. c. Ministre des Familles et des enfants, 2020 NBCA 24, [2020] A.N.-B. no 80 (QL); M.V. et C.H. c. Ministre du Développement social, 2021 NBCA 42, [2021] A.N.-B. no 234 (QL)). V. Analyse [16] Nous avons vu que S.P. soutient que, parce que le juge du procès n’a pas reconnu à six de ses enfants un droitd’accès auprès d’elle, les dispositions de la décision sont incompatibles entre elles et cette incompatibilité constitue une erreur deprincipe. [17] La distinction qui existe entre une ordonnance parentale rendue en vertu de l’art. 52 de la
Loi sur le droit de lafamille et une ordonnance prescrivant la tutelle permanente d’enfants rendue en vertu du par. 56(1) de la
Loi sur les services à la famillen’est pas contestée. L’ordonnance de tutelle met un terme à tous les droits parentaux et le Ministre assume la responsabilité juridiqueentière des soins continus des enfants placés sous tutelle. L’ordonnance parentale, elle, est formulée en fonction du caractère particulier,lié aux faits, d’un différend privé sur la garde et l’accès.
Elle ne met pas un terme aux droits parentaux, mais prescrit un moyen structurépar lequel les enfants peuvent conserver un contact maximum avec leurs deux parents, pourvu qu’il soit jugé que ce contact sert leurintérêt supérieur. [18] Il est établi en droit l’accès est un droit qui appartient à l’enfant. Dans D.S. et A.C. c. Ministre du Développement social, 2021 NBCA 25, [2021] A.N.-B. no 128 (QL), notre Cour a répété que « le droit d’accès n’appartient pas auparent, c’est un droit qui appartient à l’enfant » (par. 62). Cette proposition cadre avec les énoncés antérieurs sur ce point.
Dans l’arrêt Ministre du Développement social c. M.G. et B.B., 2012 NBCA 19, 383 R.N.-B. (2e) 394, notre Cour était arrivée aux conclusionssuivantes : Le maintien du droit de visite d’un enfant auprès de ses parents biologiques malgré l’existence d’une ordonnance de tutelle est réservé àde rares cas : voir l’arrêt T.L.M. c. Ministère du Développement social (auparavant la ministre des Services familiaux et communautaires), 2009 NBCA 8, 341 R.N.-B. (2e) 33, où l’on cite l’arrêt Nouveau-Brunswick (Ministre de la Santé et des Services communautaires) c. L. (M.), (CSC), [1998] 2 R.C.S. 534, [1998] A.C.S. no 52.
Comme on peut le lire dans l’arrêtL. (M.), le droit de visite, ou d’accès, est l’exception, pas la règle, et « [l]a décision d’accorder ou non un droit d’accès est un exercicedélicat qui exige du juge [du procès] qu’il apprécie les divers éléments constitutifs de l’intérêt supérieur de l’enfant » (par. 51). […][par. 2] [19] Dans J.F. c. T.E. et G.E., 2010 NBCA 14, 354 R.N.-B. (2e) 260, la Cour a traité de l’interprétation moderne ducritère de l’intérêt supérieur de l’enfant (par. 15 à 31). En un mot, prendre soin de leurs enfants et les surveiller est une responsabilité quiincombe aux parents. La
Loi sur les services à la famille est une loi qui protège l’enfant, et non une loi qui confère des droits parentaux :Office des services à l’enfant et à la famille de Winnipeg c. K.L.W., 2000 CSC 48, [2000] 2 R.C.S. 519. Les ordonnances qui prescriventun accès postérieur à la tutelle sont l’exception. Elles sont une mesure d’exception parce que, si la tutelle est ordonnée, c’est qu’un jugea conclu qu’il n’est pas dans l’intérêt supérieur des enfants que leurs parents continuent de se charger de leurs soins et de leursurveillance.
Cette conclusion tirée, le fardeau de la preuve est déplacé et il revient aux parents d’établir que maintenir le contact serviraitl’intérêt supérieur des enfants. [20] Dans le contexte de son analyse générale de l’intérêt supérieur des enfants, le juge a décidé en l’espèce que lesdeux enfants de S.P. et de G.C. (âgées de sept ans et de six ans lors de l’audience) auraient un accès circonscrit auprès de leur mère, sousréserve du droit du père de mettre fin unilatéralement aux visites. La décision du juge de déléguer à G.C. le pouvoir de modifierl’ordonnance de son propre chef n’est pas contestée en appel.
Le juge a écrit ce qui suit : [TRADUCTION]Après mûre délibération, je conclus qu’il est dans l’intérêt supérieur des enfants, P.K.C. et A.T.C.W., que soit octroyé à S.P. un tempsparental restreint, qu’elle pourra exercer plus précisément une fois par semaine. G.C. aura le pouvoir discrétionnaire de décider dumoment et du lieu des visites, de même que de leur durée et de leur surveillance ou non. Il aura également le pouvoir discrétionnaire demettre fin à une visite s’il juge compromis le bien-être ou la sécurité des enfants.
Enfin, G.C. aura le pouvoir discrétionnaire de mettreun terme aux visites, dans leur ensemble, si S.P. ne s’y présente pas ou ne les demande pas régulièrement, si elle ne communique pasraisonnablement avec lui ou si elle adopte un comportement inconciliable avec la sécurité et le bien-être des enfants. [par. 199] [21] Le juge est arrivé à cette conclusion après avoir conduit soigneusement une analyse de l’intérêt supérieur desenfants où il a pris en compte chacun des facteurs énoncés aux par. 50(2) et (3) de la
Loi sur le droit de la famille. Il a pris en
considération, entre autres, l’éducation et le patrimoine culturels, linguistiques, religieux et spirituels des enfants, et notamment le patrimoine émanant d’une Première Nation. Il a estimé que le maintien du contact de P.K.C. et d’A.T.C.W. avec S.P. servirait de [TRADUCTION] « lien » avec leur culture autochtone. [22] La mère soutient que, parce qu’elle est membre d’une collectivité des Premières Nations, les enfants devraient tous avoir un droit d’accès auprès d’elle par souci de maintien et de continuité de leurs valeurs culturelles.
Le juge a abordé la question ainsi : [TRADUCTION] La Cour a demandé à la Ministre si elle avait donné l’avis que prescrit le par. 12(1) de la Loi concernant les enfants, les jeunes et les familles des Premières Nations, des Inuits et des Métis , L.C. 2019, ch. 24 , si tant est que les enfants, de fait, soient autochtones. Texte du par. 12(1) : Avis 12
(1) Dans le cadre de la fourniture de services à l’enfance et à la famille à l’égard d’un enfant autochtone, dans la mesure où cela est compatible avec l’intérêt de l’enfant, avant la prise d’une mesure importante à son égard, le responsable de la fourniture des services est tenu d’en aviser son parent – mère ou père – et son fournisseur de soins, ainsi que le corps dirigeant autochtone qui, d’une part, agit pour le compte du groupe, de la collectivité ou du peuple autochtones dont l’enfant fait
partie et, d’autre part, en a informé le responsable de la fourniture des services. [En gras dans l’original; par. 137] [23] Des preuves irréfutées indiquaient que la mère n’a pas de lien direct avec la Première Nation d’Elsipogtog et qu’il y avait des années qu’elle avait vécu au sein de sa collectivité de Premières Nations, à l’Île-du-Prince-Édouard.
Rien n’indiquait que les traditions autochtones étaient enseignées aux enfants ni que la mère leur offrait en partage les valeurs culturelles ou traditionnelles de leur patrimoine. [24] J’estime, pour les raisons suivantes, qu’il est facile de distinguer la décision du juge d’accorder à deux des enfants un droit d’accès restreint auprès de leur mère et la décision rendue à l’égard des six autres enfants :
a) L’ordonnance attribuant la garde à G.C. laisse intacts les droits parentaux de la mère à l’égard de P.K.C. et d’A.T.C.W. et l’attribution de leur garde à G.C. n’a pas été suivie d’une motion qui aurait sollicité la fin de l’accès auprès de leur mère.
b) L’attribution de la tutelle à la Ministre a mis un terme aux droits parentaux de la mère en ce qui concerne S.L.W.-L., K.P.W., R.D.P., P.A.P., L.C.P. et C.J.P.
c) G.C. est étranger à la collectivité des Premières Nations et il ne peut apporter son aide pour ce qui est de l’impératif d’ordre culturel énoncé à l’ al. 50(2)
a) de la
Loi sur le droit de la famille . Bien qu’aucune preuve n’ait été présentée sur le lien qui rattachait la mère à son identité autochtone, la cour a admis que S.P. se considérait comme une membre de cette collectivité, et les enfants devraient tirer de ce lien un certain rattachement à leur culture autochtone, surtout que C.P., autre père biologique, est un membre de la collectivité des Premières Nations.
d) La Ministre entend placer les six autres enfants dans la Première Nation d’Elsipogtog en vue de leur adoption, comme je l’ai indiqué. Ce placement reconnaîtrait l’existence d’un lien entre les enfants et leur patrimoine culturel, et il leur permettra de posséder ce lien.
e) Les ordonnances d’accès et de visite sont chose courante dans les affaires de garde privées. Nous avons vu toutefois qu’elles sont tenues pour l’exception dans les affaires où la tutelle est ordonnée. Une fois l’ordonnance de tutelle prononcée en l’espèce, le fardeau est revenu à la mère de démontrer qu’il convenait de maintenir son accès auprès des six autres enfants. Elle n’a rien offert en preuve qui eût indiqué comment une ordonnance d’accès aurait été bénéfique aux enfants.
f) Les deux ordonnances sont conformes à la
Loi sur le droit de la famille et à la
Loi sur les services à la famille, et il serait fauxd’affirmer que la distinction a échappé au juge. De fait, le juge a donné deux analyses principales dans ses motifs. La première débute aupar. 143, sous la rubrique [TRADUCTION] « Question 3 – Accès postérieur à la tutelle », et la seconde s’ouvre au par. 154, sous larubrique [TRADUCTION] « Question 4 – Temps parental de S.P. sous le régime de la
Loi sur le droit de la famille ». [25] Je suis d’avis que les deux analyses ont été réalisées comme il se devait. Il ressort indéniablement de la preuveque le plan de la Ministre, en ce qui concerne les six autres enfants, leur offre stabilité et certitude et sert leur intérêt supérieur. Le juge ad’ailleurs mentionné les absences passées de S.P. aux visites prévues.
Il a constaté que, pendant quelques mois avant l’audience, elleavait eu un minimum de contact avec les enfants. [26] À considérer les risques attribuables à la présence incertaine de la mère aux visites prévues et les atteintes quien résultent pour les enfants, ainsi que le projet de la Ministre de placer les enfants en vue de leur adoption, je suis d’avis que la décisionrendue s’accorde avec les objectifs de la
Loi sur les services à la famille. [27] J’aborde maintenant l’argument secondaire de S.P. Elle a affirmé, devant la Cour, qu’un flou subsiste auNouveau-Brunswick sur les circonstances dans lesquelles un droit d’accès devrait être accordé à la suite d’une ordonnance de tutelle. Cetargument prend appui sur les quelques appels auxquels ont donné lieu ces ordonnances. S.P. avance que la Cour devrait apporter plus declarté à cet égard. L’intimée soutient le contraire. Je souscris à l’avis de l’intimée.
Pour préambule à la décision qui sera rendue enl’espèce, je passe brièvement en revue la jurisprudence. [28] Dans L. (M.), le juge Gonthier, qui rendait jugement au nom de la Cour suprême, a clairement indiqué que lesordonnances reconnaissant un droit d’accès après la tutelle sont l’exception. Son analyse s’est surtout arrêtée à l’importance « première »de la stabilité émotive d’un enfant (par. 51 et 52). Il a conclu en outre que, si le Ministre compte placer les enfants en vue de leuradoption, l’accès auprès des parents biologiques devrait être déconseillé.
Il est admis que le processus d’adoption, comme le jugeGonthier l’a fait observer, peut être entravé si un droit d’accès est accordé. Il a écrit : Mon étude sur l’opportunité d’un droit d’accès s’articule autour des principes suivants. Premièrement, il n’existe pas d’incompatibilité deprincipe entre l’octroi d’une ordonnance de tutelle permanente et d’une ordonnance d’accès. Deuxièmement, l’accès constituel’exception et non la règle.
Troisièmement, le principe du maintien des liens familiaux ne pourra jouer au niveau de l’octroi d’un droitd’accès que si cela est dans le meilleur intérêt de l’enfant en tenant compte de tous les autres facteurs pertinents.
Quatrièmement,l’adoption, qui est par ailleurs dans l’intérêt supérieur de l’enfant, ne doit pas être entravée par l’existence d’un droit d’accès.Cinquièmement, un droit d’accès ne devrait pas être accordé si son exercice a des effets négatifs sur la santé physique ou psychologiquede l’enfant. [par. 39] [29] Au paragraphe 2 de l’arrêt M.G. et B.B., le juge Richard a fait remarquer que le maintien du droit d’accès d’unenfant auprès de son père ou de sa mère biologique malgré l’existence d’une ordonnance de tutelle est réservé à de rares cas.
Il a appliquéL. (M.), arrêt dans lequel le juge Gonthier a exposé la démarche fondée sur des principes applicable à l’analyse (voir ci-dessus). On pourra se reporter aussi à N.J.P. c. La ministre du Développement social, 2012 NBCA 3, 382 R.N.-B. (2e) 245. [30] Dans l’arrêt C.A., la juge d’appel Quigg a confirmé la décision d’un juge de ne pas accorder au père un droitd’accès auprès d’un enfant. Dans son analyse, elle s’est reportée à Le ministre du Développement social c.
G.B., F.H. et R.O., 2012 NBCA 62, 392 R.N.-B. (2e) 209, arrêt où notre Cour a repris les critères d’analyse issus de L. (M.), dont nous venons de discuter. [31] Dans l’affaire J.P. et R.D. c. La ministre du Développement social, 2022 NBCA 57, [2022] A.N.-B. no 227(QL), la décision d’une juge de ne pas accorder un accès postérieur à la tutelle auprès de trois enfants était portée en appel par un parent.La Cour a confirmé la décision de la juge, qui avait conclu qu’un accès postérieur à la tutelle n’était pas dans l’intérêt supérieur desenfants.
À propos d’adoption, la Cour y a cité l’arrêt D.S. et A.C. : Ici, j’ajoute que l’argument de la ministre selon lequel le fait que l’accès permanent entre un parent et un enfant puisse entraver leprocessus d’adoption ne devrait pas l’emporter sur l’accès lorsque le tribunal conclut que le maintien de liens avec ses parents est dans l’intérêt supérieur de l’enfant (voir M.A.G., Re (1986), (NB CA), 73 R.N.-B. (2e) 443, [1986] A.N.-B. no 126 (QL); Nouveau-Brunswick (Ministre de la Santé et des Services communautaires) c.
L.L., [1997] A.N.-B. no 417 (QL); Nouveau-Brunswick (Ministre de la Santé et des Services communautaires) c. L.L. et N.L. (1990), (NB BR), 109 R.N.-B. (2e) 202, [1990] A.N.-B. no 727 (QL)).
Dans J.C. c. Ministre des Familles et des enfants , 2020 NBCA 24 , [2020] A.N.-B. n o 126 (QL), on demandait à la Cour d’infirmer la décision d’une juge de rendre une ordonnance de tutelle sans accorder de droit d’accès au père. Le père prétendait que la juge avait [TRADUCTION] « substitué » à l’analyse de l’intérêt supérieur de l’enfant la prise en compte d’une preuve rudimentaire qui indiquait qu’une ordonnance attributive de droit d’accès entraverait l’adoption des enfants.
En rejetant l’argument du père, nous avons conclu que la décision de ne pas accorder aux enfants le droit d’accès à leur père n’était pas exclusivement fonction de la question de l’adoption, et nous avons émis l’avis que le maintien du droit d’accès à la suite d’une ordonnance de tutelle n’est pas exclusivement fonction de la question de savoir s’il entraverait le processus d’adoption (par. 16). Notre Cour avait aussi énoncé ces principes dans Le ministre du Développement social c. G.B., F.H. et R.O. , 2012 NBCA 62 , 392 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 209; N.J.P. c.
La ministre du Développement social , 2012 NBCA 3 , 382 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 245; C.A. c. Ministre des Familles et des Enfants , 2018 NBCA 67 , [2018] A.N.-B. n o 246 (QL). [par. 63-65] […] [par. 61] [32] La décision de ne pas reconnaître aux enfants un droit d’accès auprès de leurs parents biologiques, une fois la tutelle ordonnée, ne dépend pas exclusivement du risque que le processus d’adoption soit compromis. Cette décision est prise dans l’intérêt supérieur de l’enfant, en tenant compte de l’ensemble de la preuve offerte.
Comme l’a fait observer le juge Gonthier dans L. (M.) , des causes peuvent se présenter où il sera jugé que l’accès postérieur à la tutelle sert l’intérêt supérieur de l’enfant. [33] Dans S.M. et J.C. c. Ministre du Développement social , 2022 NBCA 67 , [2022] A.N.-B. n o 292 (QL), le juge d’appel French, auteur des motifs de notre Cour, a appliqué L. (M.) et indiqué ce qui suit : Ces principes orientent les tribunaux du Nouveau-Brunswick dans leurs analyses depuis presque 25 ans (voir, par exemple, D.S. et A.C. c. Ministre du Développement social , 2021 NBCA 25 , [2021] A.N.-B. n o 128 (QL); et J.P. et R.D. c.
La ministre du Développement social , 2022 NBCA 57 , [2022] A.N.-B. n o 227 (QL)), et ils ne sont pas remis en cause en l’espèce. […] [par. 62] [34] Récemment, dans Ministre du Développement social c. V.L.C. et autres , 2023 NBCA 12 , [2023] A.N.-B. n o 37 (QL), la juge LeBlanc, qui statuait au nom de la Cour, a accueilli l’appel de la Ministre et modifié l’ordonnance du tribunal d’instance inférieure de sorte qu’aucun droit d’accès auprès de leur mère ne soit réservé aux enfants.
Le moyen d’appel principal contestait la conclusion de la juge voulant qu’aient existé des circonstances exceptionnelles justifiant de maintenir un droit d’accès après l’octroi de la tutelle. [35] Sur ce point, la juge LeBlanc a conclu que la juge du tribunal inférieur avait commis une erreur en se concentrant « presque entièrement sur V.L.C. plutôt que d’examiner comment le maintien de l’accès pourrait être bénéfique aux enfants ou dans leur intérêt supérieur » (par. 23). Elle a rappelé, très justement, que l’analyse de « l’intérêt supérieur » ne devrait pas être effectuée selon le point de vue du parent.
Notre Cour a pris en considération la preuve qui rendait compte de visites chaotiques de V.L.C., ainsi que de leur incidence négative sur les enfants, et jugé que rien ne fondait à s’écarter des « principes normatifs » applicables à l’accès postérieur à la tutelle (par. 28). [36] De même, le juge a déterminé en l’espèce, après avoir examiné en détail la preuve présentée qui, nous l’avons vu, relevait chez la mère une présence irrégulière aux visites prévues et une instabilité datant de loin, qu’il n’avait pas été démontré que des « circonstances exceptionnelles » justifiaient d’attribuer un droit d’accès.
Dans l’arrêt D.S. et A.C. , notre Cour a extrait les principes suivants des motifs donnés par le juge Gonthier dans l’arrêt L. (M.) :
a) Il n’existe pas d’incompatibilité de principe entre l’octroi d’une ordonnance de tutelle et d’une ordonnance d’accès.
b) Bien qu’une interprétation large de la Loi [ sur les services à la famille ] convienne, l’intérêt supérieur de l’enfant est le point cardinal et l’emporte sur le maintien de liens familiaux (par. 46).
c) Si l’adoption est plus importante que l’accès pour le bien-être continu de l’enfant et si elle est mise en péril par l’exercice d’un droit d’accès, ce droit ne devrait pas être accordé.
d) En examinant la question de savoir s’il y a lieu de protéger le droit d’accès d’un enfant à ses parents, le juge doit apprécier les divers éléments constitutifs de l’intérêt supérieur de l’enfant. Une preuve portant sur l’exercice du droit d’accès dans le passé revêt alors
une pertinence particulière.
e) Le droit d’accès ne devrait pas être accordé s’il a une incidence négative sur la santé physique ou psychologique de l’enfant (par. 51). [par. 66] Voir aussi l’arrêt V.L.C. , par. 22. [37] En somme, je ne constate d’incompatibilité ni dans l’interprétation ni dans l’application par la Cour des principes énoncés dans l’arrêt L. (M.) . Le juge dans le cas qui nous occupe a appliqué ces principes et a conclu à l’absence de circonstances exceptionnelles justifiant de reconnaître aux six enfants qui font l’objet d’une ordonnance de tutelle le droit à un accès postérieur à leur tutelle.
Les critères d’octroi d’un accès postérieur à la tutelle se distinguent facilement des critères applicables aux ordonnances d’accès et de visite rendues sous le régime de la
Loi sur le droit de la famille . Je suis donc d’avis de rejeter l’appel. VI. Dispositif [38] Il n’y a pas lieu d’infirmer la décision du juge du procès, à mon sens, et je suis d’avis de rejeter l’appel sans dépens.