2018 NBCA 41, 2018 NBCA 41
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 94-17-CA MARIE HUMPHREY SCHRAM APPELLANT MARIE HUMPHREY SCHRAM APPELANTE - and - - et - GOVERNMENT OF NUNAVUT RESPONDENT GOUVERNEMENT DU NUNAVUT INTIMÉ Schram v. Government of Nunavut, 2018 NBCA 41 Schram c.
Gouvernement du Nunavut, 2018 NBCA 41 CORAM: The Honourable Chief Justice Drapeau The Honourable Justice Larlee The Honourable Justice Quigg CORAM : l’honorable juge en chef Drapeau l’honorable juge Larlee l’honorable juge Quigg Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: July 26, 2017 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : le 26 juillet 2017 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: 2017 NBQB 143 Décision frappée d’appel : 2017 NBBR 143
Preliminary or incidental proceedings: Court of Appeal: 2014 NBCA 53 Court of Queen’s Bench: 2013 NBQB 384 2013 NBQB 190 Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : Cour d’appel : 2014 NBCA 53 Cour du Banc de la Reine : 2013 NBQB 384 , 2013 NBBR 384 2013 NBBR 190 Appeal heard: April 27, 2018 Appel entendu : le 27 avril 2018 Judgment rendered: July 12, 2018 Jugement rendu : le 12 juillet 2018 Reasons for judgment by: The Honourable Chief Justice Drapeau Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge en chef Drapeau Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Larlee The Honourable Justice Quigg Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Larlee l’honorable juge Quigg Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: James F.
LeMesurier, Q.C. For the respondent: Lucie LaBoissonnière Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appelante : James F. LeMesurier, c.r. Pour l’intimé : Lucie LaBoissonnière
THE COURT In wrongful dismissal cases, compensation for any consequential increase in tax liability may be awarded if the requirements of the rule in Hadley v. Baxendale are satisfied. In the case at hand, the income tax payable by the appellant (on a court- ordered advance payment and on additional damages awarded at trial for the premature termination of her fixed-term employment contract) exceeds the income tax she would have paid but for the respondent’s breach of contract. The trial judge committed reversible error of law in denying the appellant’s claim for compensation on account of that excess.
The appeal is therefore allowed and, at the appellant’s behest, the Court remits the determination of quantum to the trial judge. LA COUR Dans le cas d’un congédiement injustifié, une indemnisation pour toute augmentation indirecte des impôts à payer peut être accordée si les exigences de la règle énoncée dans l’arrêt Hadley c. Baxendale sont remplies. En l’espèce, l’impôt sur le revenu à payer par l’appelante (sur un paiement anticipé ordonné par le tribunal et sur les dommages-intérêts additionnels accordés au procès pour la résiliation prématurée de son contrat de travail de durée déterminé
e) excède l’impôt qu’elle aurait payé, n’eût été la rupture de contrat par l’intimé. Le juge du procès a commis une erreur de droit donnant ouverture à révision lorsqu’il a rejeté la demande d’indemnisation de l’appelante au
titre de l’impôt excédentaire. Par conséquent, l’appel est accueilli et, à la demande de l’appelante, la fixation du montant de l’indemnisation est renvoyée au juge du procès. The judgment of the Court was delivered by DRAPEAU, C.J.N.B. I. Introduction [ 1 ] The fundamental principle of compensation in wrongful dismissal cases is that the employee is entitled to be put – to the extent money can do so and subject to the rule in Hadley v. Baxendale (1854), 9 Ex. 341 , 156 E.R. 145 (Eng. Ex.
Div.) – in the position he or she would have occupied had the employer abided by the terms of the contract between the parties. It is common ground that damages awarded for pecuniary losses arising from a wrongful termination of employment are taxable as a “retiring allowance” under the Income Tax Act , R.S.C. 1985, c. 1 (5th Supp.). In some instances, the tax in question exceeds what the employee would have paid but for the wrongful dismissal.
The present case fits in that category, and the sole issue on appeal, one of first impression for the Court, is whether the trial judge committed reversible error in denying compensation for the enhanced tax liability visited upon the appellant as a result of the premature termination of her fixed-term employment contract. Respectfully, I conclude he did for the reasons set out hereinafter. II.
Background [ 2 ] The facts are largely uncontested and the account that follows draws heavily from the Appellant’s Submission as it depicts the pertinent background in brief and reliable compass. [ 3 ] Prior to her employment with the respondent, Government of Nunavut, the appellant resided in Saint John, New Brunswick. [ 4 ] During the job interview process, representatives of Nunavut made reference to the income tax advantages associated with employment in Nunavut.
[ 5 ] By letter dated July 13, 2007 (the “Offer Letter”), Nunavut offered the appellant full-time employment for a fixed term as Staffing Consultant in its Department of Human Resources in Iqaluit, subject to satisfactory completion of a probationary period.
The appellant’s employment was to commence on August 20, 2007 and end on August 20, 2010 (the “Initial Term”). [ 6 ] As well, and significantly, Nunavut undertook to pay for the appellant’s relocation expenses to Iqaluit and back to New Brunswick at the conclusion of her contract of employment. [ 7 ] The appellant accepted Nunavut’s offer of employment on the terms and conditions set forth in the Offer Letter.
Her employment began on August 20, 2007. [ 8 ] The appellant successfully completed the prescribed probationary period and remained employed by Nunavut for the duration of the Initial Term. [ 9 ] By letter dated May 31, 2010, Nunavut offered to extend the term of the appellant’s employment from August 20, 2010 to August 20, 2013 (the “Extended Term”).
The letter confirmed all ancillary terms and conditions of the original Offer Letter would remain in effect. [ 10 ] On May 31, 2010, the appellant accepted Nunavut’s renewal offer and continued in Nunavut’s employ following the expiry of the Initial Term on August 20, 2010. [ 11 ] As Staffing Consultant, the appellant was tasked with hiring candidates for vacant positions within Nunavut’s government.
She was encouraged by her superiors to bolster her recruitment efforts by informing candidates of the tax advantages associated with working in Nunavut. [ 12 ] On February 11, 2011, Nunavut terminated the appellant’s employment, effective a week later. The termination was effected without cause. Nunavut voluntarily paid the sum of $23,526.75 in lieu of notice for three months and for accumulated leave time, less statutory deductions. [ 13 ] On February 4, 2013, the appellant sued for wrongful dismissal. She moved for
summary judgment and an advance payment of special damages promptly after Nunavut filed a Statement of Defence. [ 14 ] At the motion hearing on July 29, 2013, Nunavut admitted liability, but sought to preserve the option of contesting quantum on the basis, inter alia , of the appellant’s failure to mitigate. A judge of the Court of Queen’s Bench granted
summary judgment, on the terms sought by the appellant, and ordered Nunavut to pay the sum of $225,000 as an advance payment of special damages. On appeal, the Court upheld the
summary judgment, on modified terms, and confirmed the advance payment: The Government of Nunavut v. Humphrey Schram , 2014 NBCA 53 , 423 N.B.R. (2d) 294 . [ 15 ] In 2014, Nunavut made the court-ordered advance payment. The appellant paid income tax on the payment as a resident of New Brunswick. [ 16 ] Upon termination of her employment, the appellant was required to vacate her employer-provided housing unit in Iqaluit. She promptly returned to New Brunswick. [ 17 ] From 2007 to, and including, 2010, the appellant paid income tax on her earnings as a resident of Nunavut.
Following her post-dismissal return to New Brunswick in early 2011, she paid income tax as a resident of the Province. Had she remained employed for the duration of her contract, the appellant would have paid tax on her earnings as a Nunavut resident. [ 18 ] The appellant is required to pay income tax as a resident of New Brunswick on the additional damages ($213,346.44) awarded at trial.
[19] The income tax applicable to the advance payment and the additional award at trial exceeds the income tax she would havepaid on the underlying amounts if she had remained in Nunavut’s employ for the balance of the Extended Term. [20] At trial, the appellant sought an award of damages to compensate her for the loss arising from that enhanced tax liability. Sherelied upon the expert evidence of an accountant to provide a framework for the quantification of that loss. Nunavut countered with itsown accountant’s report, which was admitted in evidence by consent.
Both experts acknowledged the appellant would be required to payincome tax in excess of what she would have paid had she not been wrongfully dismissed, but differed on the quantum. [21] The appellant contends damages of $104,694.39 must be added to the award made at trial to bring about the financial positionshe would have occupied had Nunavut honored its contractual obligations. [22] In a July 26, 2017 decision, the trial judge assessed the appellant’s damages at $438,364.44, but rejected her claim forcompensation for tax-related losses.
He did so despite widespread recognition of the validity of such claims by courts and non-judicialtribunals (see Paddon v. Phillips Barratt Kaiser Engineering Ltd., [1987] B.C.J. No. 2027 (S.C.) (QL); Ryan v. Laidlaw TransportationLtd., (ON CA), [1995] O.J. No. 3137 (C.A.) (QL); Dunning v. Royal Bank of Canada, (ON SC),[1996] O.J. No. 5078 (Ont. C.J.) (QL); Dowling v. Ontario (Workplace Safety and Insurance Board), (ON CA),[2004] O.J. No. 4812 (C.A.) (QL); University of Prince Edward Island v. Thomson, 2012 PESC 7, [2012] P.E.I.J. No. 22 (QL), perTaylor J., at para. 42; Mifflin v.
North Atlantic Refining Limited, 2017 NLTD(G) 140, [2017] N.J. No. 286 (QL), at para. 131; Calgary(City) v. Emergency Paramedic Assn. of Calgary, 1993 CarswellAlta 1118 (Alta. Arb.), 30 C.L.A.S. 357 (WL), at para. 60; Chopra v.Health Canada, 2004 CHRT 27, [2004] C.H.R.D. No. 23 (QL), at para. 52; Datt v. McDonald’s Restaurants of Canada Ltd., 2007BCHRT 324, [2007] B.C.H.R.T.D. No. 324 (QL), at paras. 262-264; Nilsson v. University of Prince Edward Island, [2010]P.E.I.H.R.B.I.D. No. 3 (PEIHRC) (QL), at paras. 71-72; Miller v. West Wind Aviation Limited Partnership, [2012] C.L.A.D.
No. 292(QL), per Adjudicator Wallace, at paras. 54-55; and Wakeham v. Nova Scotia (Department of Environment), [2017] N.S.H.R.B.I.D. No.3 (QL). For an interesting discussion of the situation in Australia, see Serge Galitsky, Capital Gains Taxation of Damages: A Challengefor Litigants and their Advisers, 2 Macquarrie J. Bus. L. 21 (2005). [23] The judge’s rationale for rejecting the claim based upon enhanced tax liability is articulated in the following excerpt from hisreasons for decision: I do not know any other way to say it than to state outright that Ms. Schram’s argument on this issue has no appeal to me.
Taxconsequences of the type at issue here are the result of differing federal and provincial tax regimes and the tax implications that flowfrom them. As a practical matter, I fear that wrongful dismissal cases in New Brunswick, which have generally not considered the taxconsequences based on residency or the consequences of larger lump sum payment of damages, would become overly cumbersome aslitigants try and add another layer of analysis beyond that which is necessary for what is essentially a breach of contract case. Eachjurisdiction has its own complicated income tax structure.
It is best left to those in the business of drafting or applying the income taxlaws to resolve what tax a person is required to pay. I therefore deny any claim for relief under this heading. [para. 55] III. Grounds of Appeal and Order Sought [24] The appellant contends the trial judge erred in law in disallowing her claim for compensation for the additional income taxpayable as a result of the wrongful termination of her contract of employment. [25] The appellant seeks reversal of that disallowance and a determination of her entitlement to compensation for the enhanced taxliability.
Correlatively, she asks the determination of quantum be remitted to the trial judge. IV. Analysis and Decision [26] The trial judge awarded the appellant damages totalling $438,346.44, which he allocated as follows: Salary and Disability Benefits: $284,324.50Overtime Pay: $ 13,364.75 Value of time in Lieu of Overtime: $ 9,311.50
Acting Pay: $ 3,318.00 Northern Allowance: $ 37,886.49 Continuous Service Bonuses: $ 2,000.00 Group Insurance Benefits: $ 1,578.70 Canada Pension Plan Benefits: $ 6,880.50 Increased Pension Entitlement: $ 79,682.00 Income Tax Gross-up: NIL Prejudgment Interest: To be determined by counsel TOTAL $438,346.44 [ 27 ] None of the individual awards is contested. As mentioned, the appeal only takes issue with the trial judge’s rejection of the claim for an “Income Tax Gross-up”.
In the appellant’s submission, without such a gross-up, she will be denied full and fair indemnity for the losses occasioned by Nunavut’s breach of contract. [ 28 ] Prior to trial, the appellant caused a Request to Admit Facts to be served on Nunavut. The facts in question, most of which were deemed admitted by the time of trial, bear repeating as they help contextualize the debate: 1.
Had she remained employed with [Nunavut] for the balance of the (extended) term of employment, between February 18, 2011 and August 20, 2013, the [appellant] would have received salary payments totalling $251,386.45 from [Nunavut]. 2. Had she remained employed with [Nunavut] for the balance of the (extended) term of employment, between February 18, 2011 and August 20, 2013, the [appellant] would have received Nunavut Northern Allowance payments totalling $37,886.49 from [Nunavut]. 3.
Had she remained employed with [Nunavut] for the balance of the (extended) term of employment, the [appellant] would have received Continuous Service Bonus payments of $1,000.00 in each of December 2011 and December 2012 from [Nunavut]. 4. Had she remained employed with [Nunavut] for the balance of the (extended) term of employment, [Nunavut] would have made the maximum Canada Pension Plan contributions on her behalf of $2,217.60 for 2011, $2,306.70 for 2012, and $2,356.20 for 2013. 5. During her employment with [Nunavut], the [appellant] earned $22,452.65 in overtime payments, an average of $534.59 per month. 6.
Had she remained employed with [Nunavut] for the balance of the (extended) term of employment, between February 18, 2011 and August 20, 2013, the [appellant] would have received overtime payments from [Nunavut]. 7. During her employment with [Nunavut], the [appellant] earned time off in lieu of overtime worth $15,643.16, an average of $372.46 per month. 8. Had she remained employed with [Nunavut] for the balance of the (extended) term of employment, between February 18, 2011 and August 20, 2013, the [appellant] would have earned time off in lieu of overtime. 9.
During her employment with [Nunavut], the [appellant] earned and received acting pay of $5,574.10, an average of $132.72 per month. 10. Had she remained employed with [Nunavut] for the balance of the (extended) term of employment, between February 18, 2011 and August 20, 2013, the [appellant] would have received acting pay from [Nunavut]. 11. During her employment with [Nunavut], the [appellant] was covered by [Nunavut’s] group insurance plan and the cost to [Nunavut] of providing the [appellant] with medical, dental and LTD benefit coverage was $214.16 per month.
12. As of February 18, 2011, the effective date of the termination of her employment, the [appellant] had accrued 3 years, 182 days Pensionable Service Credit for the purpose of the applicable pension plan. 13. Had she remained employed with [Nunavut] for the balance of the (extended) term of employment until August 20, 2013, the [appellant] would have accrued a total of six (6) years Pensionable Service Credit for the purposes of the applicable pension plan. 14. The [appellant’s] pension entitlement was calculated on the basis of her average annual salary between August 20, 2007 and February 18, 2011. 15.
Had she remained employed with [Nunavut] for the balance of the (extended) term of employment, the [appellant’s] pension entitlement would have been calculated on the basis of her average annual salary between August 20, 2008 and August 20, 2013. 16. The [appellant] is entitled to receive monthly pension payments of $496.92 commencing on May 23, 2019, when she reaches age 60. 17. The [appellant’s] monthly pension payments will become $412.89 when she reaches age 65. 18. The [appellant’s] deferred monthly pension payments are subject to annual indexing. 19.
Had she remained employed with [Nunavut] for the balance of the (extended) term of employment, the [appellant’s] pension entitlement at age 60 and at age 65 would be greater than as stated in paragraphs 16 and 17 hereof due to the facts set forth in paragraphs 13 and 15 hereof. 20. The estimated present value of the difference in the [appellant’s] pension entitlement is $79,682.00 as of May 15, 2015. 21.
Between 2007 and 2010, the [appellant] paid income tax on her earnings from [Nunavut] annually as a resident of Nunavut. 22. [Nunavut] made an advance payment to the [appellant] in 2014 of $225,000 which was taxable income to the [appellant] and upon which she paid income tax as a resident of New Brunswick. 23. The [appellant] will be required to pay income tax as a resident of New Brunswick on additional amounts that are awarded to her on account of lost earnings (including lost pension entitlement) by [the Court of Queen’s Bench]. 24.
The amount of income tax that the [appellant] has paid and will be required to pay on the amounts referenced in paragraphs 22 and 23 are more that she would have paid on such amounts if she had remained employed with [Nunavut] for the balance of the (extended) term of employment until August 20, 2013. [ 29 ] In its Response, Nunavut stated the following: 1. Regarding paragraph 2 of the
Schedule “A” of the Request to Admit Facts, [Nunavut] states that the [appellant] would only have been entitled to Nunavut Northern Allowance if she was employed and living in Nunavut for the (extended) term of employment. 2. [Nunavut] denies the facts found in paragraphs 10, 20 and 24 of the
Schedule “A” of the Request to Admit Facts.
[Underlining in original.] [30] Rule 51.02 obligates the party targeted by a Request to Admit Facts to provide reasons for any objection to a stipulated fact.The Court drew the attention of the practicing bar to this important feature of Rule 51 in Estate of Michael Burke and 1021256 OntarioInc. v.
Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance Company of Canada, 2011 NBCA 98, 381 N.B.R. (2d) 81. [31] Since Nunavut did not provide reasons for its objection to the facts stipulated in paragraph 24 of the Request to Admit Facts,and absent principled relief under Rule 2 (“Non-Compliance with the Rules”), the trial judge was duty bound to accept as a fact that “theamount of income tax that the [appellant] has paid and will be required to pay on taxable income and benefits are more than she wouldhave paid on such amounts if she had remained employed with the respondent for the balance of the [extended] term of employment untilAugust 20, 2013”.
The appellant contends the increased tax liability arises from: (1) the lump sum payments of benefits that wouldotherwise have accrued in more modest amounts over multiple taxation years; and (2) the more onerous tax regime in New Brunswick. [32] The appellant’s tax-related loss and its causal connection to the respondent’s breach of contract are apodictic. The onlyunresolved issues at trial were whether the appellant was legally entitled to compensation for that loss and, if so, quantum.
Bothquestions stood to be determined on the basis of settled principles of law. [33] In her written submission, the appellant contends the decision to reject her claim for compensation for enhanced tax liability“was not based on any finding of fact or mixed law or fact” and that the trial judge erred in law “by failing to apply the appropriateprinciples to the assessment of damages in a wrongful dismissal case […]”. I agree. [34] In Fidler v.
Sun Life Assurance Co. of Canada, 2006 SCC 30, [2006] 2 S.C.R. 3, the Supreme Court of Canada summarizedthe principles that govern the recoverability of damages for breach of contract: Damages for breach of contract should, as far as money can do it, place the plaintiff in the same position as if the contract had beenperformed. However, at least since the 1854 decision of the Court of Exchequer Chamber in Hadley v.
Baxendale (1854), 9 Ex. 341, 156E.R. 145, at p. 151, it has been the law that these damages must be “such as may fairly and reasonably be considered either arisingnaturally ... from such breach of contract itself, or such as may reasonably be supposed to have been in the contemplation of bothparties”. [para. 27] [35] The Court went on to sanction the application of the rule in Hadley v. Baxendale to all claims for compensation for lossesarising from breach of contract: It follows that there is only one rule by which compensatory damages for breach of contract should be assessed: the rule in Hadley v.Baxendale.
The Hadley test unites all forms of contractual damages under a single principle. It explains why damages may be awardedwhere an object of the contract is to secure a psychological benefit, just as they may be awarded where an object of the contract is tosecure a material one. It also explains why an extended period of notice may have been awarded upon wrongful dismissal in employmentlaw: see Wallace v. United Grain Growers Ltd., (SCC), [1997] 3 S.C.R. 701. In all cases, these results are based onwhat was in the reasonable contemplation of the parties at the time of contract formation.
They are not true aggravated damages awards.[para. 54] [Emphasis in original.] [36] In Honda Canada Inc. v. Keyes, 2008 SCC 39, [2008] 2 S.C.R. 362, the Hadley v. Baxendale framework was applied to aclaim for damages for mental distress in a wrongful dismissal case: This brings us to Fidler, where the Court, per McLachlin C.J. and Abella J., concluded that it was no longer necessary that there be anindependent actionable wrong before damages for mental distress can be awarded for breach of contract, whether or not it is a “peace ofmind” contract.
It stated at para. 49: We conclude that the “peace of mind” class of cases should not be viewed as an exception to the general rule of the non-availability ofdamages for mental distress in contract law, but rather as an application of the reasonable contemplation or foreseeability principle that
applies generally to determine the availability of damages for breach of contract. This conclusion was based on the principle, articulated in Hadley v. Baxendale (1854), 9 Ex. 341, 156 E.R. 145, that damages arerecoverable for a contractual breach if the damages are “such as may fairly and reasonably be considered either arising naturally... fromsuch breach of contract itself, or such as may reasonably be supposed to have been in the contemplation of both parties” (p. 151).
Thecourt in Hadley explained the principle of reasonable expectation as follows: Now, if the special circumstances under which the contract was actually made were communicated by the plaintiffs to the defendants,and thus known to both parties, the damages resulting from the breach of such a contract, which they would reasonably contemplate,would be the amount of injury which would ordinarily follow from a breach of contract under these special circumstances so known andcommunicated.
But, on the other hand, if these special circumstances were wholly unknown to the party breaking the contract, he, at themost, could only be supposed to have had in his contemplation the amount of injury which would arise generally, and in the greatmultitude of cases not affected by any special circumstances, from such a breach of contract. [p. 151] Thus, in cases where parties have contemplated at the time of the contract that a breach in certain circumstances would cause the plaintiffmental distress, the plaintiff is entitled to recover (Fidler, at para. 42; Vorvis, at p. 1102).
This principle was reaffirmed in para. 54 ofFidler, where the Court recognized that the Hadley rule explains the extended notice period in Wallace: It follows that there is only one rule by which compensatory damages for breach of contract should be assessed: the rule in Hadley v.Baxendale. The Hadley test unites all forms of contractual damages under a single principle. It explains why damages may be awardedwhere an object of the contract is to secure a psychological benefit, just as they may be awarded where an object of the contract is tosecure a material one.
It also explains why an extended period of notice may have been awarded upon wrongful dismissal in employmentlaw: see Wallace v. United Grain Growers Ltd., (SCC), [1997] 3 S.C.R. 701.
In all cases, these results are based onwhat was in the reasonable contemplation of the parties at the time of contract formation. [Emphasis deleted.] We must therefore begin by asking what was contemplated by the parties at the time of the formation of the contract, or, as stated inpara. 44 of Fidler: “[W]hat did the contract promise?” The contract of employment is, by its very terms, subject to cancellation on noticeor subject to payment of damages in lieu of notice without regard to the ordinary psychological impact of that decision.
At the time thecontract was formed, there would not ordinarily be contemplation of psychological damage resulting from the dismissal since thedismissal is a clear legal possibility. The normal distress and hurt feelings resulting from dismissal are not compensable. [paras. 54-56] [37] In Jean v. Pêcheries Roger L. Ltée, 2010 NBCA 10, 354 N.B.R. (2d) 300, the Court applied the rule in Hadley v.
Baxendale inthe context of an action for loss of employment insurance benefits occasioned by the employer’s failure to give reasonable notice oftermination of a contract of employment for an indefinite term: The governing principles were clarified and refined by the majority decision in Honda Canada Inc. v. Keays, and repeated and appliedmost recently in Schurman v. Covered Bridge Recreation Inc.(2009), 340 N.B.R. (2d) 168, [2009] N.B.J. No. 1 (QL), 2009 NBCA 1.Those reasons for judgment are in accord with Fidler v. Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada, [2006] 2 S.C.R. 3, [2006] S.C.J.
No.30 (QL), 2006 SCC 30, where Chief Justice McLachlin and Justice Abella, writing for the Court, reaffirmed the critical importance ofthe general principle of reasonable foreseeability in assessing damages for breach of contract.
The key principles in the matter before us are as follows: (1) an action for wrongful dismissal is predicated upon an implied obligationunder the contract of employment between the parties; (2) that obligation is an obligation to give reasonable notice of termination; (3)breach of that obligation may result in an award of damages; (4) damages are in no way intended to compensate the employee for theloss of his employment; rather, their purpose is limited to providing compensation for the breach of contract caused by the employer’sfailure to give reasonable notice of the termination of employment; (5) the purpose of damages for breach of contract is to provide afinancial remedy that places the aggrieved party in the same position he would have been in had the contract been performed; (6) thatremedy is “such as may fairly and reasonably be considered either arising naturally ... from such breach of contract itself, or such as mayreasonably be supposed to have been in the contemplation of both parties”: Hadley v.
Baxendale, at p. 151, and Fidler v. Sun LifeAssurance Company of Canada, at para. 27; (7) this is a rule of general application because Hadley v. Baxendale makes “no distinctionbetween the types of loss that are recoverable for breach of contract” and unites “all forms of contractual damages under a singleprinciple”: Fidler v. Sun Life, at paras. 30 and 54; and (8) damages for loss resulting from breach of contract must be determined“according to what was in the reasonable contemplation of the parties at the time of contract formation”: Fidler v. Sun Life, at para. 55.As such, the rule in Hadley v.
Baxendale must apply in the assessment of all damages, including compensation for the employer’s failureto fulfill its contractual obligation to give reasonable notice of termination of employment.
[…] Let there be no doubt regarding my view: the method of assessing damages for wrongful dismissal applied in the past must undergo fine- tuning to accord with the principles enunciated in Fidler v. Sun Life and Honda Canada v. Keays . Compensation in lieu of notice must now be calculated in accordance with the principles that inform the assessment of all damages for breach of contract. The purpose of such damages is to place the aggrieved employee in the same position he would have been in but for the breach by the employer of the implied term of the contract of employment to give reasonable notice.
Therefore, courts must focus on the loss sustained by the employee by reason of the employer’s failure to give proper notice instead of what it would have cost the employer had the employment continued throughout the notice period: Covered Bridge Recreation Inc. v. Schurman.
Obviously, this means courts must consider the issue of compensation as it relates to employment insurance benefits from the employee’s perspective rather than from the employer’s standpoint (the latter approach entailed a focus on the quantum of contributions the employer avoided having to make to the government fund during the notice period).
Going forward, it is the loss of employment insurance benefits suffered by the employee that must be assessed provided, of course, that it was foreseeable and resulted from the breach of contract by the employer. [paras. 48, 49 and 55] [ 38 ] After finding the loss of employment insurance benefits was reasonably foreseeable, the Court confirmed it was compensable: […] the causal connection required under Hadley v. Baxendale between the failure to give reasonable notice of termination of employment, on the one hand, and the loss suffered by Mr.
Jean, including a shortfall in employment insurance benefits, on the other, is apodictic. It follows that this loss is compensable, at least in principle. In truth, one can only be heartened by this convergence of law and justice. […] [para. 58] [ 39 ] There is no principled basis for confining the application of the rule in Hadley v. Baxendale to cases involving wrongful dismissals from employment for an indefinite term. It applies to all claims for compensation for losses arising from a breach of contract: Fidler v. Sun Life Assurance Co. of Canada , at para. 54 .
It follows, and it should go without saying, that the rule applies to claims, such as the appellant’s, for compensation for wrongful termination of a fixed-term contract of employment. [ 40 ] Thus, the appellant is legally entitled to be placed in the financial position she would have been in but for Nunavut’s breach of the employment bargain. That state of affairs will not be achieved if she is denied compensation for the loss she sustained and will sustain by reason of and in connection with the additional income tax generated by the damages awarded for Nunavut’s breach of contract.
Yet, the appellant is only entitled to recover compensation if, as postulated in Hadley v. Baxendale , the increased tax liability at issue here “may fairly and reasonably be considered either arising naturally [...] from [the breach of her fixed term employment contract] itself, or […] may reasonably be supposed to have been in the contemplation of both parties” (para. 54). [ 41 ] In my view, that liability may reasonably be supposed to have been in the contemplation of both parties at the time of the formation of the employment contract.
After all, Nunavut underscored its lighter tax burden during the pre-hiring discussions with a view to inducing the appellant, then a resident of New Brunswick, to accept its offer of employment and relocate to Nunavut for a relatively short term. Moreover, one can readily assume Nunavut was aware a heavier tax burden would result from the payment of damages by way of lump sums for the loss of benefits it originally expected would accrue over multiple taxation years. Likewise, Nunavut would have anticipated the appellant’s return to New Brunswick at the end of her employment term.
Recall she was required to promptly vacate her employer-provided housing unit in Iqaluit upon termination of her employment contract, which triggered Nunavut’s undertaking to pay the cost of relocating the appellant back to New Brunswick. All things considered, one must conclude the appellant has established the requirements of the rule in Hadley v.
Baxendale . [ 42 ] I close the discussion with this caution: the rationale for finding the appellant’s tax-related claim is legally compensable has no application to legal fees as the issue of litigation costs is dealt with by legislation, specifically the Rules of Court . V. Conclusion and Disposition [ 43 ] The appellant requests this Court reverse the disallowance of her tax-related claim, determine it is compensable and remit to the trial judge the determination of quantum.
I would so order. [ 44 ] Finally, I would wrap up the proceedings in this Court by directing the respondent pay costs on appeal of $5,000. While that quantum is somewhat higher than usual, the issue raised on appeal was far from run-of-the-mill and the Court required the appellant file a supplementary submission.
Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par LE JUGE DRAPEAU, J.C.N.-B. I. Introduction [1] Le principe fondamental de l’indemnisation dans les cas de congédiement injustifié est qu’il faut rétablir l’employé, dans la mesure où une réparation pécuniaire peut le faire et sous réserve de la règle énoncée dans l’arrêt Hadley c. Baxendale (1854), 9 Ex. 341 , 156 E.R. 145 (H.C. Angl.) , dans la situation où il se serait trouvé si l’employeur avait respecté les clauses du contrat entre les parties. Il est bien établi que les dommages-intérêts accordés pour les pertes pécuniaires résultant d’un congédiement injustifié sont imposables à
titre d’« allocation de retraite » en application de la Loi de l’impôt sur le revenu , L.R.C. 1985, ch. 1 (5 e suppl.). Dans certains cas, l’impôt en question excède ce que l’employé aurait payé, n’eût été le congédiement injustifié.
Le cas qui nous occupe s’inscrit dans cette catégorie et la seule question à trancher en appel, une question que notre Cour examine pour la première fois, est celle de savoir si le juge du procès a commis une erreur susceptible de révision lorsqu’il a refusé d’accorder une indemnisation pour l’augmentation des impôts à payer imposée à l’appelante par suite de la résiliation prématurée de son contrat de travail de durée déterminée . Avec égards, je conclus qu’il a commis une telle erreur pour les motifs qui suivent. II.
Contexte [2] Les faits ne sont pas contestés pour l’essentiel et l’historique qui suit est largement tiré du mémoire de l’appelante puisqu’il présente le contexte pertinent de façon succincte et fiable. [3] Avant d’être employée de l’intimé, le Gouvernement du Nunavut, l’appelante habitait à Saint John, au Nouveau-Brunswick. [4] Lors du processus d’entrevues d’embauche, les représentants du Nunavut ont mentionné les avantages fiscaux liés à un emploi au Nunavut. [5] Dans une lettre datée du 13 juillet 2007 (la « lettre d’offre »), le Nunavut a offert à l’appelante un poste à temps plein pour une durée déterminée à
titre d’experte-conseil en dotation auprès du ministère des Ressources humaines à Iqaluit, sous réserve d’une période d’essai qu’elle devait compléter avec succès. La période d’emploi devait commencer le 20 août 2007 et se terminer le 20 août 2010 (la « durée initiale »). [6] En outre, et fait important, le Nunavut s’est engagé à payer les frais de réinstallation de l’appelante à Iqaluit et de nouveau au Nouveau-Brunswick au terme de son contrat de travail. [7] L’appelante a accepté l’offre d’emploi du Nunavut aux conditions énoncées dans la lettre d’offre.
Elle a commencé à travailler le 20 août 2007. [8] L’appelante a terminé avec succès la période d’essai prévue et est restée au service du Nunavut jusqu’à la fin de la durée initiale.
[9] Dans une lettre datée du 31 mai 2010, le Nunavut a offert de prolonger la durée de l’emploi de l’appelante du 20 août 2010 au 20 août 2013 (la « prolongation »). La lettre confirmait que toutes les conditions figurant dans la lettre d’offre initiale demeureraient en vigueur. [10] Le 31 mai 2010, l’appelante a accepté l’offre de renouvellement du Nunavut et est demeurée à l’emploi du Nunavut après l’expiration de la durée initiale du contrat le 20 août 2010. [11] À
titre d’experte-conseil en dotation, l’appelante était chargée d’embaucher des employés pour pourvoir des postes vacants au sein du gouvernement du Nunavut. Ses superviseurs l’encourageaient à renforcer ses efforts de recrutement en informant les candidats des avantages fiscaux liés à un emploi au Nunavut. [12] Le 11 février 2011, le Nunavut a mis fin à l’emploi de l’appelante, la cessation d’emploi devant entrer en vigueur une semaine plus tard. Il s’agissait d’un congédiement non motivé.
Le Nunavut lui a volontairement versé la somme de 23 526,75 $ tenant lieu de préavis de trois mois et pour des jours de congé accumulés, moins les retenues obligatoires. [13] Le 4 février 2013, l’appelante a intenté une poursuite pour congédiement injustifié. Peu de temps après que le Nunavut a déposé un exposé de la défense, elle a déposé une motion en vue d’obtenir un jugement
sommaire et un paiement anticipé de dommages- intérêts particuliers. [14] Lors de l’audition de la motion le 29 juillet 2013, le Nunavut a reconnu sa responsabilité, mais a cherché à conserver l’option de contester le quantum des dommages-intérêts sur le fondement, notamment, de l’omission de l’appelante de limiter ses dommages. Un juge de la Cour du Banc de la Reine a accordé le jugement
sommaire, aux conditions demandées par l’appelante, et a ordonné au Nunavut de verser la somme de 225 000$ à
titre de paiement anticipé de dommages-intérêts particuliers. En appel, la Cour a confirmé le jugement
sommaire, l’a assorti de conditions modifiées, et a confirmé le paiement anticipé : Le Gouvernement du Nunavut c. Humphrey Schram , 2014 NBCA 53 , 423 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 294 . [15] En 2014, le Nunavut a versé le paiement anticipé ordonné par la cour. L’appelante a payé l’impôt sur le revenu applicable au paiement anticipé à
titre de résidente du Nouveau-Brunswick. [16] Suite à la cessation de son emploi, l’appelante a dû quitter son logement fourni par l’employeur à Iqaluit. Elle est rapidement rentrée au Nouveau-Brunswick. [17] De 2007 à 2010, inclusivement, l’appelante a payé l’impôt sur son revenu à
titre de résidente du Nunavut. Suite à son retour au Nouveau-Brunswick après son congédiement au début de l’année 2011, elle a payé son impôt sur le revenu à
titre de résidente de cette province. Si elle avait continué d’occuper son emploi pour toute la durée du contrat, l’appelante aurait payé l’impôt sur le revenu à
titre de résidente du Nunavut. [18] L’appelante doit payer l’impôt sur le revenu sur les dommages-intérêts additionnels accordés au procès (213 346,44 $) à
titre de résidente du Nouveau-Brunswick. [19] Le montant d’impôt sur le revenu qui s’applique au paiement anticipé et aux dommages-intérêts additionnels accordés au procès excède celui qu’elle aurait payé sur ces mêmes montants si elle avait continué de travailler pour le Nunavut pour toute la durée de la prolongation de son contrat. [20] Au procès, l’appelante a sollicité des dommages-intérêts afin de l’indemniser pour la perte résultant de l’augmentation de l’impôt sur le revenu qu’elle devait payer.
Elle s’est fondée sur la preuve d’expert d’un comptable afin de fournir un cadre permettant d’évaluer cette perte. Le Nunavut a répliqué au moyen d’un rapport préparé par son propre comptable, lequel rapport a été admis en preuve avec le consentement des parties.
Les deux experts ont reconnu que l’appelante aurait à payer un montant d’impôt sur le revenu supérieur à celui qu’elle aurait payé si elle n’avait pas été congédiée injustement, mais leurs opinions étaient différentes quant au montant à payer. [21] L’appelante soutient que des dommages-intérêts de 104 694,39 $ doivent être ajoutés à ceux accordés au procès afin de la rétablir dans la situation sur le plan financier où elle se serait trouvée si le Nunavut avait respecté ses obligations contractuelles.
[22] Dans une décision rendue le 26 juillet 2017, le juge du procès a fixé les dommages-intérêts de l’appelante à 438 364,44 $,mais a rejeté sa demande d’indemnisation pour les pertes liées à l’impôt sur le revenu. Il a procédé ainsi malgré la reconnaissancegénérale de la validité de telles demandes par les tribunaux judiciaires et non judiciaires (voir Paddon c. Phillips Barratt KaiserEngineering Ltd., [1987] B.C.J. No. 2027 (C.S.) (QL); Ryan c. Laidlaw Transportation Ltd., (ON CA), [1995] O.J.No. 3137 (C.A.) (QL); Dunning c. Royal Bank of Canada, (ON SC), [1996] O.J. No. 5078 (C.J. Ont.) (QL); Dowlingc.
Ontario (Workplace Safety and Insurance Board), (ON CA), [2004] O.J. No. 4812 (C.A.) (QL); University ofPrince Edward Island c. Thomson, 2012 PESC 7, [2012] P.E.I.J. No. 22 (QL), le juge Taylor, au par. 42; Mifflin c. North AtlanticRefining Limited, 2017 NLTD(G) 140, [2017] N.J. No. 286 (QL), au par. 131; Calgary (City) c. Emergency Paramedic Assn. of Calgary,1993 CarswellAlta 1118 (Alb. Arb.), 30 C.L.A.S. 357 (WL), au par. 60; Chopra c. Ministère de la Santé nationale et du Bien-être social,2004 TCDP 27, [2004] C.H.R.D. No. 23 (QL), au par. 52; Datt c.
McDonald’s Restaurants (No. 3), 2007 BCHRT 324, [2007]B.C.H.R.T.D. No. 324 (QL), aux par. 262 à 264; Nilsson c. University of Prince Edward Island, [2010] P.E.I.H.R.B.I.D. No. 3(PEIHRC) (QL), aux par. 71 et 72; Miller c. West Wind Aviation Limited Partnership, [2012] C.L.A.D. No. 292 (QL), l’arbitre Wallace,aux par. 54 et 55; et Wakeham c. Nova Scotia (Department of Environment), [2017] N.S.H.R.B.I.D. No. 3 (QL). Pour une analyseintéressante de la situation en Australie, voir l’article de Serge Galitsky intitulé Capital Gains Taxation of Damages: A Challenge forLitigants and their Advisers, 2 Macquarrie J. Bus.
L. 21 (2005)). [23] L’extrait suivant des motifs du juge du procès donne le raisonnement qui l’a amené à rejeter la demande fondée surl’augmentation de l’impôt à payer : [TRADUCTION] Je ne puis songer à une autre façon de le dire que d’affirmer sans détour que l’argument de Mme Schram sur ce point ne m’apparaît pastrès attrayant. Les répercussions fiscales du genre dont il s’agit en l’espèce sont le résultat de régimes fiscaux fédéral et provinciauxdifférents et des conséquences qui découlent de ces régimes.
Sur le plan pratique, je crains que les causes de renvois injustifiés auNouveau-Brunswick, qui dans l’ensemble ne tiennent pas compte des répercussions fiscales fondées sur le lieu de résidence ou desconséquences d’une somme forfaitaire élevée à
titre de dommages-intérêts, deviennent excessivement complexes si les parties aux litigesdevaient tenter d’ajouter une couche analytique supplémentaire, en plus de celle qui est nécessaire pour ce qui constitue essentiellementune affaire de rupture de contrat. Chaque province ou territoire a sa propre structure complexe relative à l’impôt sur le revenu. Mieuxvaut laisser à ceux qui sont chargés de rédiger ou d’appliquer les lois fiscales le soin de déterminer le montant d’impôt qu’une personnedoit payer. En conséquence, je rejette la demande d’indemnité à ce chapitre. [par. 55] III.
Moyens d’appel et ordonnance sollicitée [24] L’appelante soutient que le juge du procès a commis une erreur de droit lorsqu’il a rejeté sa demande d’indemnisation pourl’augmentation de l’impôt sur le revenu qu’elle devait payer par suite de la résiliation injustifiée de son contrat d’emploi. [25] L’appelante sollicite l’infirmation de ce refus et la détermination du montant d’indemnisation auquel elle a droit au
titre del’augmentation de l’impôt à payer. Corrélativement, elle demande que la fixation du montant d’indemnisation soit renvoyée au juge duprocès. IV. Analyse et décision [26] Le juge du procès a accordé à l’appelante des dommages-intérêts se chiffrant à 438 346,44 $ sous les chefs suivants : [TRADUCTION] salaire et prestations d’invalidité : 284 324,50 $rémunération des heuressupplémentaires : 13 364,75 $crédit d’heures de travail enremplacement des heuressupplémentaires : 9 311,50 $rémunération d’intérim : 3 318,00 $ indemnité de vie dans le Nord : 37 886,49 $
primes de service continu : 2 000,00 $ primes d’assurance collective : 1 578,70 $ prestations du Régime de pensions du Canada : 6 880,50 $ droit à pension accrue : 79 682,00 $ majoration pour impôt sur le revenu : AUCUNE intérêts avant jugement : À déterminer par les avocats TOTAL 438 346,44 $ [27] Aucun des montants accordés sous les différents chefs n’est contesté. Comme il a été mentionné, l’appel ne vise que le rejet, par le juge du procès, de la demande liée à la [TRADUCTION] « majoration pour impôt sur le revenu ».
L’appelante soutient dans son mémoire que, sans cette majoration, elle se verra refuser une indemnisation juste et équitable pour les pertes encourues par suite de la violation du contrat par le Nunavut. [28] Avant le procès, l’appelante a fait signifier une demande d’aveux au Nunavut. Les faits en question, dont la plupart ont été réputés admis avant la tenue du procès, méritent d’être répétés puisqu’ils aident à mettre le litige en contexte : [TRADUCTION] 1.
Si l’appelante était demeurée à l’emploi du [Nunavut] pour toute la durée (de la prolongation) de l’emploi, soit du 18 février 2011 au 20 août 2013, elle aurait reçu des paiements salariaux totalisant 251 386,45 $ du [Nunavut]. 2. Si l’appelante était demeurée à l’emploi du [Nunavut] pour toute la durée (de la prolongation) de l’emploi, soit du 18 février 2011 au 20 août 2013, elle aurait reçu des indemnités de vie dans le Nord applicables au Nunavut totalisant 37 886,49 $ du [Nunavut]. 3.
Si l’appelante était demeurée à l’emploi du [Nunavut] pour toute la durée (de la prolongation) de l’emploi, elle aurait reçu une prime de service continu de 1 000 $ à la fois en décembre 2011 et en décembre 2012 du [Nunavut]. 4. Si l’appelante était demeurée à l’emploi du [Nunavut] pour toute la durée (de la prolongation) de l’emploi, le [Nunavut] aurait versé pour son compte les cotisations maximales au Régime de pensions du Canada de 2 217,60 $ pour 2011, 2 306,70 $ pour 2012, et 2 356,20 $ pour 2013. 5. Pendant son emploi pour le [Nunavut], [l’appelante] a touché 22 452,65 $ au
titre du paiement des heures supplémentaires, soit une moyenne de 534,59 $ par mois. 6. Si l’appelante était demeurée à l’emploi du [Nunavut] pour toute la durée (de la prolongation) de l’emploi, soit du 18 février 2011 au 20 août 2013, elle aurait reçu des paiements d’heures supplémentaires du [Nunavut]. 7. Pendant son emploi pour le [Nunavut], [l’appelante] a pu accumuler des crédits d’heures de travail en remplacement des heures supplémentaires d’une valeur de 15 643,16 $, soit une moyenne de 372,46 $ par mois. 8.
Si l’appelante était demeurée à l’emploi du [Nunavut] pour toute la durée (de la prolongation) de l’emploi, soit du 18 février 2011 au 20 août 2013, elle aurait accumulé des crédits d’heures de travail en remplacement d’heures supplémentaires. 9. Pendant son emploi pour le [Nunavut], [l’appelante] a touché une rémunération d’intérim de 5 574,10 $, une moyenne de 132,72 $ par mois.
10. Si l’appelante était demeurée à l’emploi du [Nunavut] pour toute la durée (de la prolongation) de l’emploi, soit du 18 février 2011 au 20 août 2013, le [Nunavut] lui aurait versé une rémunération d’intérim. 11. Pendant son emploi pour le [Nunavut], [l’appelante] bénéficiait du régime d’assurance collective du [Nunavut] et les primes que devait verser le [Nunavut] afin de fournir à l’appelante une assurance de soins médicaux et dentaires et une assurance-invalidité de longue durée se chiffraient à 214,16 $ par mois. 12.
Le 18 février 2011, date d’entrée en vigueur de la cessation de son emploi, l’[appelante] avait accumulé 3 années et 182 jours de service ouvrant droit à pension pour l’application du régime de pension pertinent. 13. Si l’appelante était demeurée à l’emploi du [Nunavut] pour toute la durée (de la prolongation) de l’emploi, soit jusqu’au 20 août 2013, elle aurait accumulé 6 années de service ouvrant droit à pension pour l’application du régime de pension pertinent. 14. Le droit à pension de [l’appelante] a été calculé en fonction de son salaire annuel moyen entre le 20 août 2007 et le 18 février 2011. 15.
Si l’appelante était demeurée à l’emploi du [Nunavut] pour toute la durée (de la prolongation) de l’emploi, son droit à pension aurait été calculé en fonction de son salaire annuel moyen entre le 20 août 2008 et le 20 août 2013. 16. [L’appelante] sera en droit de recevoir des prestations de pension mensuelles de 496,92 $ à compter du 23 mai 2019, soit lorsqu’elle atteindra l’âge de 60 ans. 17. Les prestations de pension mensuelles de [l’appelante] se chiffreront à 412,89 $ lorsqu’elle atteindra l’âge de 65 ans. 18. Les prestations différées de pension mensuelles de [l’appelante] sont indexées annuellement. 19.
Si l’appelante était demeurée à l’emploi du [Nunavut] pour toute la durée (de la prolongation) de l’emploi, son droit à pension à l’âge de 60 ans et à l’âge de 65 ans aurait été plus élevé que celui qui figure aux paragraphes 16 et 17 pour les raisons précisées aux paragraphes 13 et 15. 20. La valeur actualisée estimative de la différence entre les droits à pension de [l’appelante] est de 79 682,00 $ en date du 15 mai 2015. 21. De 2007 à 2010, [l’appelante] a payé l’impôt sur le revenu tiré de son emploi pour le [Nunavut] annuellement à
titre de résidente du Nunavut. 22. En 2014, le [Nunavut] a versé à l’appelante un paiement anticipé de 225 000 $, qui était un revenu imposable pour [l’appelante] et sur lequel elle a payé de l’impôt sur le revenu à
titre de résidente du Nouveau-Brunswick. 23. [L’appelante] devra payer de l’impôt sur le revenu à
titre de résidente du Nouveau-Brunswick sur les montants additionnels qui lui seront accordés par suite de la perte de gains (y compris la perte de droit à pension) par [la Cour du Banc de la Reine]. 24. Le montant d’impôt sur le revenu que [l’appelante] a payé et qu’elle devra payer sur les montants visés aux paragraphes 22 et 23 est plus élevé que le montant qu’elle aurait payé si elle était demeurée à l’emploi du [Nunavut] pour toute la durée (de la prolongation) de l’emploi, soit jusqu’au 20 août 2013.
[29] Dans sa réponse, le Nunavut a affirmé ce qui suit : [TRADUCTION] 1. En ce qui concerne le paragraphe 2 de l’annexe A de la demande d’aveux, le [Nunavut] soutient que [l’appelante] auraitseulement eu droit à l’indemnité de vie dans le Nord applicable au Nunavut si elle était employée et qu’elle vivait au Nunavut pour toutela durée (de la prolongation) du contrat d’emploi. 2. Le [Nunavut] nie les faits énoncés aux paragraphes 10, 20 et 24 de l’annexe A de la demande d’aveux. [Soulignement dans l’original.] [30] La règle 51.02 oblige la
partie à laquelle est adressée la demande d’aveux de motiver toute objection à un fait qui y esténoncé. La Cour a attiré l’attention des avocats praticiens sur cet élément important de la règle 51 dans l’arrêt Succession de Michael Burke et 1021256 Ontario Inc. c. Royal & Sun Alliance du Canada, société d’assurance, 2011 NBCA 98, 381 R.N.-B. (2e) 81. [31] Puisque le Nunavut n’a pas motivé son objection aux faits énoncés au paragraphe 24 de la demande d’aveux, et en l’absenced’une mesure de redressement fondée sur des principes accordée au
titre de la règle 2 (« Inobservation des règles »), le juge du procèsétait tenu d’accepter comme un fait que [TRADUCTION] « le montant d’impôt sur le revenu que [l’appelante] a payé et qu’elle devrapayer sur le revenu et les avantages sociaux imposables est plus élevé que le montant qu’elle aurait payé si elle était demeurée au servicede l’intimé pour toute la durée (de la prolongation) de l’emploi, soit jusqu’au 20 août 2013 ».
L’appelante soutient que l’augmentationdes impôts à payer découle : (1) du paiement forfaitaire des avantages sociaux qui se seraient autrement accumulés sous forme demontants moins élevés sur une période de plusieurs années d’imposition et (2) du régime fiscal plus lourd au Nouveau-Brunswick. [32] La perte de l’appelante liée à l’impôt sur le revenu et son lien de causalité avec la rupture de contrat de l’intimé sontapodictiques.
Les seules questions à trancher au procès étaient celle de savoir si l’appelante avait légalement droit à une indemnisationpour cette perte et, dans l’affirmative, celle de savoir quel devrait en être le montant.
Les deux questions devaient être tranchées sur lefondement de principes de droit bien établis. [33] Dans son mémoire, l’appelante avance que la décision de rejeter sa demande d’indemnisation pour l’augmentation des impôtsà payer [TRADUCTION] « n’était pas fondée sur une conclusion de fait ou sur une conclusion mixte de fait et de droit » et que le jugedu procès a commis une erreur de droit [TRADUCTION] « en omettant d’appliquer les bons principes à l’évaluation des dommages-intérêts dans une affaire de congédiement injustifié […] ». Je suis du même avis. [34] Dans l’arrêt Fidler c.
Sun Life du Canada, compagnie d’assurance-vie, 2006 CSC 30, [2006] 2 R.C.S. 3, la Cour suprême duCanada a résumé les principes qui régissent la question de savoir si des dommages-intérêts sont recouvrables pour violation de contrat : Les dommages-intérêts pour violation de contrat servent à rétablir le demandeur dans la situation où il se serait trouvé si le contrat avaitété exécuté, dans la mesure où une réparation pécuniaire peut le faire. Toutefois, il est établi en droit, au moins depuis 1854 et l’arrêt dela Cour de l’Échiquier Hadley c.
Baxendale (1854), 9 Ex. 341, 156 E.R. 145, p. 151, que cette réparation doit être [traduction] « cellequ’on peut considérer justement et raisonnablement soit comme celle qui découle naturellement [. . .] de cette rupture du contrat, soitcomme celle que les deux parties pouvaient raisonnablement et probablement envisager ». [par. 27] [35] La Cour a ensuite sanctionné l’application de la règle énoncée dans l’arrêt Hadley c.
Baxendale à toutes les demandesd’indemnisation pour perte découlant d’une violation de contrat : Il s’ensuit qu’une seule règle permet que des dommages-intérêts compensatoires soient accordés pour violation d’un contrat : la règle del’arrêt Hadley c. Baxendale. Le critère de cet arrêt réunit en un principe unique toutes les formes de dommages-intérêts en matièrecontractuelle.
Ce qui explique pourquoi des dommages-intérêts peuvent être accordés lorsque le contrat a notamment pour objetd’assurer un avantage psychologique, tout comme ils peuvent être accordés lorsque le contrat a notamment pour objet d’assurer unavantage matériel. Cela explique aussi qu’une prolongation de la période de préavis ait pu être accordée dans un cas de congédiementinjustifié en droit de l’emploi : voir Wallace c. United Grain Growers Ltd., (SCC), [1997] 3 R.C.S. 701. Dans tous lescas, ces résultats sont fondés sur ce que les parties pouvaient raisonnablement envisager au moment de la formation du contrat.
Il ne
s’agit pas de dommages-intérêts majorés proprement dits. [par. 54] [En italique dans l’original.] [36] Dans l’arrêt Honda Canada Inc. c. Keays, 2008 CSC 39, [2008] 2 R.C.S. 362, une affaire de congédiement injustifié, la Coura appliqué le cadre de Hadley c.
Baxendale à une demande de dommages-intérêts pour souffrance morale : Ce qui nous amène à l’arrêt Fidler dans lequel, par la voix de la juge en chef McLachlin et de la juge Abella, la Cour a statué quel’existence d’une faute donnant elle-même ouverture à un droit d’action n’était plus une exigence pour l’indemnisation de la souffrancemorale causée par la rupture d’un contrat, que celui-ci vise ou non la « tranquillité d’esprit ». Voici ce qu’elle a dit (par. 49).
Nous concluons qu’il ne faut pas voir les affaires de « tranquillité d’esprit » comme une exception à la règle générale interdisantl’indemnisation de la souffrance morale en matière contractuelle, mais plutôt comme des cas d’application du principe de la prévisibilitéraisonnable qui régit généralement l’attribution de dommages-intérêts pour violation de contrat. Cette conclusion s’appuyait sur le principe énoncé dans l’arrêt Hadley c.
Baxendale (1854), 9 Ex. 341, 156 E.R. 145, selon lequel laréparation susceptible d’être obtenue pour rupture du contrat est [traduction] « celle qu’on peut considérer justement et raisonnablementsoit comme celle découlant naturellement [. . .] de cette rupture du contrat, soit comme celle que les deux parties pouvaientraisonnablement et probablement envisager » (p. 151).
Voici comment, dans Hadley, on a expliqué le principe de la prévisibilitéraisonnable : [traduction]Cependant, si les demandeurs avaient porté à la connaissance des défendeurs les circonstances spéciales dans lesquelles le contrat avaitété conclu et qu’elles aient été connues des deux parties, les dommages-intérêts exigibles par suite de la rupture du contrat et envisagéspar les deux parties seraient donc fondés sur le préjudice découlant normalement d’une rupture de contrat dans les circonstancesparticulières telles qu’elles étaient connues et avaient été révélées.
Mais d’un autre côté, si ces circonstances spéciales étaient totalementinconnues de la
partie qui rompt le contrat, tout au plus pourrait-on considérer qu’elle avait en vue le préjudice qui découleraitgénéralement et dans la majorité des cas, abstraction faite de toutes circonstances particulières, à la suite d’une rupture de contrat.[p. 151] En conséquence, dans le cas où, lors de la formation du contrat, les parties ont envisagé que, dans certaines circonstances, unmanquement infligerait un préjudice moral, ce dernier est indemnisable (Fidler, par. 42; Vorvis, p. 1102).
La Cour l’a réaffirmé aupar. 54 de l’arrêt Fidler en reconnaissant que la règle de l’arrêt Hadley expliquait l’allongement du préavis dans l’affaire Wallace : Il s’ensuit qu’une seule règle permet que des dommages-intérêts compensatoires soient accordés pour violation d’un contrat : la règle del’arrêt Hadley c. Baxendale. Le critère de cet arrêt réunit en un principe unique toutes les formes de dommages-intérêts en matièrecontractuelle.
Ce qui explique pourquoi des dommages-intérêts peuvent être accordés lorsque le contrat a notamment pour objetd’assurer un avantage psychologique, tout comme ils peuvent être accordés lorsque le contrat a notamment pour objet d’assurer unavantage matériel. Cela explique aussi qu’une prolongation de la période de préavis ait pu être accordée dans un cas de congédiementinjustifié en droit de l’emploi : voir Wallace c. United Grain Growers Ltd., (SCC), [1997] 3 R.C.S. 701.
Dans tous lescas, ces résultats sont fondés sur ce que les parties pouvaient raisonnablement envisager au moment de la formation du contrat. [Italiquesdans l’original omis.] Il nous faut donc d’abord nous demander ce qu’ont envisagé les parties lors de la formation du contrat ou, comme l’a dit la Cour aupar. 44 de l’arrêt Fidler, « qu’était-il promis au contrat? » Suivant son libellé, le contrat d’emploi est susceptible de résiliation moyennantpréavis ou paiement d’une indemnité en tenant lieu, indépendamment du préjudice psychologique normal causé par une telle mesure.
Aumoment de la formation du contrat, le préjudice psychologique éventuel infligé par le congédiement n’est habituellement pas envisagépuisqu’une telle mesure est usitée et parfaitement légale. La souffrance morale normale causée par un congédiement n’est pasindemnisable. [par. 54 à 56] [37] Dans Jean c. Pêcheries Roger L. Ltée, 2010 NBCA 10, 354 R.N.-B. (2e) 300, la Cour a appliqué la règle énoncée dans Hadleyc.
Baxendale dans le contexte d’une action pour perte de prestations d’assurance-emploi découlant du défaut de l’employeur de donner unpréavis raisonnable de résiliation d’un contrat d’emploi d’une durée indéterminée :
Les principes directeurs, qui ont été clarifiés et dont l’énoncé a été peaufiné dans les motifs de jugement de la majorité dans l’affaire Honda Canada Inc. c. Keays , ont été repris et appliqués tout récemment dans l’arrêt Schurman c. Covered Bridge Recreation Inc. (2009), 340 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 168, [2009] A.N.-B. n o 1 (QL), 2009 NBCA 1 . Ces motifs de jugement s’inscrivent dans la foulée de l’arrêt Fidler c.
Sun Life du Canada, compagnie d’assurance-vie , [2006] 2 R.C.S. 3, [2006] A.C.S. n o 30 (QL), 2006 CSC 30 , où la Cour suprême du Canada, sous la plume de la juge en chef McLachlin et de la juge Abella, a réaffirmé l’importance capitale du principe général de la prévisibilité raisonnable dans l’attribution de dommages-intérêts pour violation de contrat.
Dans une affaire comme celle qui nous occupe, les principes clés sont les suivants : (1) l’action pour congédiement injustifié se fonde sur une obligation tacite aux termes du contrat d’emploi entre les parties; (2) il s’agit de l’obligation de donner un préavis raisonnable de congédiement; (3) le manquement à cette obligation ouvre la voie à une attribution de dommages-intérêts; (4) ceux-ci ne servent aucunement à indemniser l’employé pour la perte de son emploi, leur fonction étant limitée à le dédommager pour la violation de contrat occasionnée par l’omission de l’employeur de lui donner un préavis raisonnable de cessation d’emploi; (5) les dommages-intérêts pour violation de contrat ont pour objectif de fournir une réparation financière qui rétablit la victime dans la situation qui aurait existé si le contrat avait été respecté; (6) cette réparation est « celle qu’on peut considérer justement et raisonnablement soit comme celle qui découle naturellement […] de cette rupture de contrat, soit celle que les deux parties pouvaient raisonnablement et probablement envisager » : Hadley c.
Baxendale , p. 151, et Fidler c. Sun Life du Canada , par. 27; (7) cette règle est d’application générale, l’arrêt Hadley c. Baxendale n’établissant « aucune distinction entre les types de pertes susceptibles de recouvrement par suite d’une violation de contrat » et réunissant « en un principe unique toutes les formes de dommages-intérêts en matière contractuelle » : Fidler c.
Sun Life , par. 30 et 54 ; et (8) les dommages-intérêts pour pertes occasionnées par une violation de contrat doivent être déterminés « en fonction de ce que les parties pouvaient raisonnablement envisager au moment de la formation du contrat » : Fidler c. Sun Life , par. 55. Cela étant, la règle de l’arrêt Hadley c.
Baxendale doit servir dans la détermination de tous les dommages-intérêts, y compris l’indemnité pour le défaut de l’employeur de se conformer à son obligation contractuelle de donner un préavis raisonnable de cessation d’emploi. […] Disons-le clairement : la méthode d’évaluation des dommages-intérêts pour congédiement injustifié privilégiée par le passé doit s’adapter aux enseignements que renferment Fidler c. Sun Life et Honda Canada c. Keays . Ainsi, l’indemnité tenant lieu de préavis raisonnable doit être calculée conformément au cadre applicable à l’évaluation des dommages-intérêts pour rupture de contrat.
Or, ceux- ci visent à mettre l’employé lésé dans la situation où il se serait trouvé n’eut été de la violation par l’employeur de la clause implicite du contrat d’emploi prescrivant un préavis raisonnable. Il faut donc évaluer les pertes subies par l’employé en raison du défaut de l’employeur de lui donner le préavis requis, au lieu d’évaluer ce qu’il en aurait coûté à l’employeur si l’emploi avait été continué durant la période de préavis raisonnable : Covered Bridge Recreation Inc. c. Schurman .
Bien entendu, cela veut dire qu’il faut aborder la question de l’indemnisation en ce qui concerne l’assurance-emploi de la perspective de l’employé et non de la perspective de l’employeur, comme c’était le cas autrefois lorsque la cour se concentrait sur le quantum des contributions au fonds gouvernemental que l’employeur avait épargnées durant la période de préavis raisonnable.
Désormais, il faut évaluer la perte des prestations d’assurance- emploi essuyée par l’employé, à condition, évidemment, qu’elle ait été prévisible et qu’elle découle de la rupture du contrat par l’employeur. [par. 48, 49 et 55] [38] Après avoir conclu que la perte de prestations d’assurance-emploi était raisonnablement prévisible, la Cour a confirmé qu’elle était indemnisable : […] le lien requis aux termes de la règle de l’arrêt Hadley c. Baxendale entre, d’une part, le défaut de donner un préavis raisonnable de cessation d’emploi et, d’autre part, la perte alléguée par M.
Jean, soit une perte qui comprend le manque à gagner sur le plan des prestations d’assurance-emploi, est clairement établi. Il s’ensuit que cette perte est indemnisable, à tout le moins en principe. D’ailleurs […], on ne peut se réjouir de cette concordance entre le droit et la justice. [par. 58] [39] Il n’y a aucune raison de principe qui justifie de limiter l’application de la règle énoncée dans l’arrêt Hadley c. Baxendale aux cas de congédiements injustifiés d’emplois de durée indéterminée.
La règle s’applique à toutes les demandes d’indemnisation pour des pertes découlant de la violation d’un contrat : Fidler c. Sun Life du Canada, compagnie d’assurance-vie , au par. 54. Il s’ensuit, et il devrait aller de soi, que la règle s’applique aux demandes, telle celle de l’appelante, d’indemnisation pour résiliation injustifiée d’un contrat d’emploi de durée déterminée. [40] Par conséquent, l’appelante a le droit d’être rétablie dans la situation financière où elle se serait trouvée, n’eût été la violation du contrat d’emploi par le Nunavut.
Il n’en sera pas ainsi si elle se voit refuser une indemnisation pour la perte qu’elle a subie et qu’elle subira en raison de l’augmentation des impôts à payer entraînée par les dommages-intérêts accordés pour la violation de contrat par le Nunavut. Toutefois, l’appelante ne peut être indemnisée que si, tel qu’il est énoncé dans Hadley c. Baxendale , l’augmentation des impôts à payer en litige en l’espèce est « celle qu’on peut considérer justement et raisonnablement soit comme celle découlant naturellement
[…] de [la violation de son contrat d’emploi de durée limitée], soit comme celle que les deux parties pouvaient raisonnablement et probablement envisager ». [41] À mon avis, on peut s’attendre à ce que les deux parties aient raisonnablement envisagé cette obligation au moment de la formation du contrat d’emploi. Après tout, le Nunavut a fait ressortir sa charge fiscale plus légère lors des discussions qui ont précédé l’embauche dans le but d’inciter l’appelante, alors une résidente du Nouveau-Brunswick, à accepter son offre d’emploi et à déménager au Nunavut pour une période relativement courte.
De plus, on peut facilement présumer que le Nunavut savait qu’une charge fiscale plus lourde découlerait du paiement, sous forme de sommes forfaitaires, des dommages-intérêts pour la perte d’avantages sociaux qu’il avait initialement prévu s’accumuleraient sur une période de plusieurs années d’imposition. De même, le Nunavut aurait prévu le retour de l’appelante au Nouveau-Brunswick à la fin de son contrat d’emploi.
Rappelons qu’elle a dû quitter rapidement le logement fourni par l’employeur à Iqaluit suite à la résiliation de son contrat d’emploi, ce qui a déclenché l’engagement du Nunavut à payer les frais de réinstallation de l’appelante au Nouveau-Brunswick. Tout compte fait, il faut conclure que l’appelante a établi que les exigences qui doivent être remplies pour l’application de la règle de l’arrêt Hadley c.
Baxendale le sont en l’espèce. [42] Je clos la discussion avec la mise en garde suivante : les raisons qui ont amené la Cour à conclure que la demande de l’appelante liée à l’impôt sur le revenu est indemnisable ne s’appliquent pas aux honoraires d’avocat puisque la question des frais afférents au litige est régie par la législation, plus particulièrement les Règles de procédure . V.
Conclusion et dispositif [43] L’appelante demande à la Cour d’infirmer le rejet de sa demande liée à l’impôt sur le revenu, de conclure que sa perte est indemnisable et de renvoyer la fixation du montant de l’indemnisation au juge du procès. Je suis d’avis de rendre une ordonnance en ce sens. [44] Enfin, je conclurais l’instance dont notre Cour est saisie en ordonnant à l’intimé de payer des dépens de 5 000 $ en appel.
Bien que les dépens soient un peu plus élevés qu’en temps normal, la question soulevée en appel était loin d’être une question courante et la Cour a demandé à l’appelante de déposer un mémoire additionnel.