2022 NBCA 6, 2022 NBCA 6
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF NEW BRUNSWICK COUR D’APPEL DU NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 70-21-CA FERNAND LEGER and LINDA LEGER APPELLANTS FERNAND LEGER et LINDA LEGER APPELANTS - and - - et - MARIE-MARTHE LISE COLLETTE and GILLESEVARISTE LEBLANC RESPONDENTS MARIE-MARTHE LISE COLLETTE et GILLESEVARISTE LEBLANC INTIMÉS Leger et al. v. Collette et al., 2022 NBCA 6 Leger et autre c.
Collette et autre, 2022 NBCA 6 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice French The Honourable Justice LeBlond CORAM : l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge French l’honorable juge LeBlond Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’sBench: June 2, 2021 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de laReine : le 2 juin 2021 History of case: Decision under appeal: 2021 NBQB 175 Preliminary or incidental proceedings: N/A Historique de la cause : Décision frappée d’appel : 2021 NBQB 175 , 2021 NBBR 175 Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : s.o.
Appeal heard: September 24, 2021 Appel entendu : le 24 septembre 2021
Judgment rendered: March 3, 2022 Reasons for judgment by: The Honourable Justice French Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice LeBlond Jugement rendu : le 3 mars 2022 Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge French Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge LeBlond Counsel at hearing: For the appellants: Nicholas O’Toole For the respondents: Ian Girard THE COURT The appeal is dismissed with costs of $2,500. Avocats à l’audience : Pour les appelants : Nicholas O’Toole Pour les intimés : Ian Girard LA COUR L’appel est rejeté avec dépens de 2 500 $.
The judgment of the Court was delivered by FRENCH J.A. I. Introduction [ 1 ] Fernand and Linda Leger applied to the Court of Queen’s Bench for an order declaring restrictive covenants enforceable in relation to the respondents’ property and restraining them from using their residence as a vacation rental. The respondents had most recently offered it for rent through the Internet services of Airbnb. [ 2 ] The Legers maintain the covenants run with the respondents’ land and restrict the use of their property to a single private dwelling, occupied by a single household.
The covenants were first made in a deed between the Legers, as grantors, and previous owners of the respondents’ property, as grantees. The covenants were repeated in the subsequent deed to the respondents, and they were expressly acknowledged by the respondents when they executed the deed, as grantees. [ 3 ] The judge dismissed the Legers’ application. He decided they were not entitled to enforce the covenants since the respondents’ deed did “not sufficiently describe” or identify the Legers’ property as the lands intended to benefit from the covenants (para. 21).
He concluded it was not possible to ascertain from the deed that their lands were the dominant tenement/lands.
[ 4 ] The judge also rejected the Legers’ alternate claim they had the right to enforce the covenants on the basis they were part of a common building scheme, which was applicable to both properties. Noting the Legers’ property is not subject to any covenants, he found the Legers’ property was not part of a reciprocal or common scheme that also included the respondents’ property. [ 5 ] On appeal, the Legers challenge only the judge’s
interpretation of the respondents’ deed and his determination it is not possible to ascertain from the deed that the Legers’ property is intended to benefit from the covenants. I would dismiss the appeal for the reasons that follow . II. Background [ 6 ] The Legers owned a parcel of land between the shore of the Northumberland Strait and a road that runs somewhat parallel to the shore. In 1988, they subdivided this land into eight lots, with a new access road leading to the lots along the shore.
Over time, they sold six lots (identified on the subdivision plan as lots 88-1 to 88-6) and retained two for themselves (lots 88-7 and 88-8). [ 7 ] In 1989, the Legers conveyed lots 88-2 and 88-3 to Dr. Serge Saint-Amant and Dr. Rosaline Belliveau, by a deed that incorporated the restrictive covenants sought to be enforced. [ 8 ] In 1997, the Legers transferred lots 88-7 & 88-8 to Ms. Leger solely.
This is the only deed in relation to these lots, and it does not contain restrictive covenants. [ 9 ] The record does not indicate whether the deeds from the Legers to all the other lots in the subdivision contain restrictive covenants. There was evidence that one other lot is subject to restrictive covenants and its owner had rented the residence without complaint from others in the subdivision. [ 10 ] In 1999, the respondents acquired lot 88-2 through a deed that repeated the restrictive covenants set out in the 1989 deed to Dr. Serge Saint-Amant and Dr. Rosaline Belliveau.
The covenants require the grantee to have a subsequent purchaser of the land make the same covenants to the vendor. [ 11 ] Neither the 1989 nor 1999 deed expressly references Ms. Leger’s lots (88-7 and 88-8) as being the lands intended to benefit from the covenants. [ 12 ] At various times since 2000, the respondents have rented their residence on lot 88-2 to third parties. Most recently, they have offered it as a vacation rental through the services of Airbnb. III.
Grounds of Appeal [ 13 ] The Legers assert the application judge erred in fact and misapplied the law by finding: (1) the deed to the respondents does not sufficiently describe the dominant lands;
(2) Schedule “A” of the deed merely describes the land being conveyed to the respondents and does not also identify the dominant lands; and (3) the restrictive covenants set out in
Schedule “E” do not indicate they are for the benefit of the lands owned by Ms. Leger. All three grounds of appeal relate to the application judge’s
interpretation of the conveyance. Further, in relation to questions of
interpretation, the standard of review of palpable and overriding error applies. Although an error of law is alleged, no discrete legal issue has been raised. IV. Analysis [ 14 ] There is no dispute respecting the law and principles applicable to the determination of whether restrictive
covenants are personal and enforceable between only the original covenantor and covenantee, or whether they run with the land. Forsuch covenants to be enforceable by and against subsequent property owners, the dominant lands must either be identified in theconveyance that imposes the restrictions, or be part of a common building scheme, along with the lands subject to the restrictions. ThisCourt recognized these requirements in Woolworth (F.W.) Co. Limited v. Hudson’s Bay Company, Burnac Leaseholds Limited andZeller’s Inc. (1985), (NB CA), 61 N.B.R. (2d) 403, [1985] N.B.J.
No. 160 (QL) (C.A.): As Dickson, J., pointed out in Friesen v. Valleyview Estates Ltd. (1977), (NB KB), 18 N.B.R. (2d) 1; 26 A.P.R. 1, arestrictive covenant will run with the land in two circumstances. He said at page 5: “I take it to be well settled in law that a restrictive covenant can be deemed to run with the land only in two circumstances, viz., (a)where the covenant, whether or not expressly made binding upon the successors and assigns of the grantee to whom it is initiallyconveyed, is expressly stated to run for the benefit of described lands of the covenantee; or, even if failing that, (
b) the land againstwhich the covenant is to run and the land for the benefit of which the covenant is to run are both part of a common building scheme,all parts of which are subject to – if not totally then at least substantially –to the same restrictions.” [Emphasis added; para. 44] See also Arthur and Arthur v. Nelson (1988), (NB KB), 88 N.B.R. (2d) 217, [1988] N.B.J. No. 402 (QL); LockmacHoldings Ltd. v. Earle et al. (1997), (NB KB), 185 N.B.R. (2d) 360, [1997] N.B.J. No. 35 (QL); Concerned Citizensof Westwood Subdivision v. McCutcheon et al. (2000), (NB KB), 226 N.B.R. (2d) 13, [2000] N.B.J.
No. 131 (QL);665399 N.B. Inc. v. Connors, 2015 NBQB 236, 445 N.B.R. (2d) 1. [15] As noted, the Legers do not challenge the application judge’s finding Ms. Leger’s property is not part of acommon building scheme; they appeal his determination the respondents’ deed does “not sufficiently” identify Ms.
Leger’s property(lots 88-7 and 88-8) as the land intended to benefit from the covenants. [16] While the requirement for the benefit of restrictive covenants to be annexed to identifiable lands may be simplystated, there has been some diversity of views regarding the level of specificity necessary to identify the lands to be benefitted. To a largedegree, this has been ameliorated, at least practically, by legislation that either requires or sets standards for the identification of the landsintended to benefit from restrictive covenants.
As observed in Anne Warner La Forest, Anger & Honsberger Law of Real Property, 3rded. (Thomson Reuters, 2021): Although there may be some confusion in the case law as to the degree of specificity required in describing the benefitted land in orderfor effective annexation to occur, in practical terms, provincial land registry legislation clarifies this requirement.
Unless the conveyancedescribes the land affected, the land cannot be registered, so the description required for registration will be the operative standard. […] [Emphasis added; pp. 16-9 and 16-10] [17] As the authors acknowledge, provincial land registry legislation varies somewhat in relation to theidentification of dominant lands; while some are quite prescriptive, others are less so.
Regardless, the enforceability of restrictivecovenants, including the issue of whether dominant lands may be ascertained from a conveyance, requires the consideration of bothapplicable statutory provisions and common law principles. [18] In this case, while the 1989 and 1999 deeds were registered under the Registry Act, R.S.N.B. 1973, c. R-6, theparties’ lands are currently registered under the Land Titles Act, S.N.B 1981, c. L-1.1.
The Land Titles Act does not displace theapplication of common law principles to the broad issue of whether covenants in a conveyance run with land or are simply personal tothe covenantor and covenantee:
Registration of instrument containingconditions or covenants 48(2) Every successive owner of the land isaffected with notice of the condition orcovenant and is bound thereby if it is of suchnature as to run with the land, but any suchcondition or covenant may be modified ordischarged by order of the court on proof tothe satisfaction of the court that (
a) the modification or discharge will bebeneficial to the persons principally interestedin the enforcement of the condition orcovenant; (
b) the condition or covenant conflicts withthe provisions of a zoning by-law, officialplan or development scheme issued, made orestablished under the authority of anenactment and the modification or dischargeis in the public interest; or (
c) the condition or covenant offends publicpolicy or is prohibited by law. 48(3) The registration of an instrumentcontaining a condition or covenant intendedto run with the land or annexed thereto doesnot (
a) make the condition or covenant run withthe land if, on account of its nature or of themanner in which it is expressed, it would nototherwise be annexed to or run with theland; or (
b) constitute a determination by the registrarof its essential nature or enforceability. [Emphasis added.] Enregistrement d’un instrument contenantune condition ou un engagement 48(2) Tous les propriétaires successifs dubien-fonds sont avisés de l’existence de lacondition ou engagement et sont liés par euxs’ils sont d’une nature suivant ce bien-fonds, mais cette condition ou engagementpeuvent être modifiés ou annulés parordonnance de la cour sur preuve jugéesatisfaisante par celle-ci que
a) la modification ou la quittance profiteraaux personnes intéressées au premier chef àla mise en vigueur de la condition ou del’engagement.
b) la condition ou l’engagement entrent enconflit avec les dispositions d’un arrêté dezonage, d’un plan officiel ou d’un projet demise en valeur établi en vertu d’un textelégislatif et la modification ou la quittancedemandées sont d’intérêt public; ou
c) la condition ou l’engagement sontcontraires à l’ordre public ou interdits par laloi. 48(3) Le fait d’enregistrer un instrumentcontenant une condition ou engagementdestinés à être attachés ou annexés au bien-fonds
a) ne suffit pas pour que cette condition ouengagement suivent le bien-fonds si, parailleurs, compte tenu de leur nature ou dela façon dont ils sont exprimés, ils nerépondent pas aux critères poursuivis parle bien-fonds, ou
b) ne peuvent constituer une décision duregistrateur sur leur nature essentielle et leurforce exécutoire. [Les caractères gras et le soulignement sontde moi.] [19] Noting that the legislative intent of such provisions is not to alter the general law respecting restrictivecovenants, the Supreme Court of Canada stated the following respecting The Land Titles Act, R.S.A. 1942, c. 205, in CanadianConstruction Co. Ltd v. Beaver (Alta.) Lumber Ltd., (SCC), [1955] S.C.R. 682 (Beaver Lumber): In my view there is nothing in these sections that alters the general law as to restrictive covenants running with land. Their purpose
appears to be merely to provide methods of registering covenants so as to bring them to the notice of persons intending to deal with landsregistered under the Act and to confer power upon the court to modify or discharge such covenants in certain circumstances. Theintention of the Legislature not to alter the general law appears to me to be indicated by the words in s. 53(3), “if it is of such nature as torun with the land”, and by the words of s. 53(4) reading as follows:
(4) The entry on the register of a condition or covenant as running with or annexed to land shall not make it run with the land, if thecovenant or condition on account of its nature, or of the manner in which it is expressed, would not otherwise be annexed to or run withthe land. [p. 689] A. The principles and case law respecting the identification of the benefitting lands [20] The parties agree the leading Canadian authority respecting the enforceability of restrictive covenants isGalbraith v. Madawaska Club Ltd., (SCC), [1961] S.C.R. 639.
In this case, the Supreme Court noted the applicableprinciples began with Tulk v. Moxhay (1848), 2 Ph. 774, 41 E.R. 1143, and evolved through the cases that followed. Applying theprinciples identified in Zetland (Marquess) v. Driver, [1939] Ch. 1, [1938] 2 All. E.R. 158 (C.A.), respecting the requirement to identifylands intended to be benefitted by restrictive covenants, the Court stated: “the deed itself must so define the land to be benefitted as tomake it easily ascertainable” (p. 653). [21] In Tulk, the court found that equity permitted the burden of a covenant to run with land.
A covenant to retain asa park a portion of the land conveyed was held to be enforceable against a subsequent purchaser who acquired the land with knowledgeof the covenant. Subsequent decisions established that the benefit of covenants may become annexed to the land of the covenantee, so asto render the covenants enforceable by a successor in title to the benefitted land. Thus, the benefit of covenants could pass with aconveyance of the benefitted land similar to the manner in which an easement or right of way passes with a conveyance of the dominantlands (for example, Rogers v. Hosegood, [1900] 2 Ch. 388).
In Zetland v. Driver, Farwell J. explained the applicable principles (for theCourt of Appeal): Such covenants can only be validly imposed if they comply with certain conditions. First, they must be negative covenants. Noaffirmative covenant requiring the expenditure of money, or the doing of some act, can ever be made to run with the land.
Secondly, thecovenant must be one that touches or concerns the land, by which is meant that it must be imposed for the benefit, or to enhance thevalue, of the land retained by the vendor, or some part of it, and no such covenant can ever be imposed if the sale comprises the whole ofthe vendor’s land. Further, the land retained by the vendor must be such as to be capable of being benefited by the covenant at the timewhen it is imposed.
Thirdly, the land which is intended to be benefited must be so defined as to be easily ascertainable, and thefact that the covenant is imposed for the benefit of that particular land should be stated in the conveyance, and the persons orclass of persons entitled to enforce it should also be stated. The fact that the benefit of the covenant is not intended to pass to allpersons into whose hands the unsold land may come is not objectionable, so long as the class of persons intended to have the benefit ofthe covenant is clearly defined. [Emphasis added; pp. 161-162, cited to All.
E.R.] [22] The early English cases approached the identification of the dominant lands from a deed or conveyance as aquestion of construction. They interpreted the words of a conveyance as they would interpret the covenants themselves, that is, in thecontext of the surrounding circumstances, and extrinsic evidence was admissible to explain the meaning of the words used. AfterZetland, the issue of the identification of dominant lands in a deed, was succinctly summarized in C.H.S.
Preston & George HaroldNewsom, Restrictive Covenants Affecting Freehold Land (Toronto: Sweet & Maxwell, 1939): Once it is clear that the intention is that the covenant should be annexed to some land three further questions arise. First, it must beascertained what the land is to which the covenant is annexed. Sometimes such land is fully defined by the instrument; for example, itmay be “the land coloured green on the plan drawn on these presents”.
More frequently, words are used which state the characteristicspossessed by such land, for example, the lands of covenantee “adjoining or near to” the land restricted (Rogers v. Hosegood, [1900] 2Ch. 388), or “adjoining or adjacent” (Re Ecclesiastical Commissioners’ Conveyance, [1936] Ch. 430). Again, the covenant may beexpressed to inhere in an estate of a certain name, for example, “the Childwickbury estate” (Re Bollard’s Conveyance, [1937] Ch. 473),“the Calverley estate” (Kelsey v. Dodd, 52 L. J.
Ch. 34), “the Swainston estate” (Re Simeon, [1937] Ch. 525); or an even less preciseform may be adopted: “the Du Cane family estates at Streatham” (Willé v. St. John, [1910] 1 Ch. 84, 325); “the lands in … Redcar …now subject to the settlement” (Zetland v. Driver, [1937] Ch. 651; [1939] Ch. 1). In such cases extrinsic evidence is admissible toexplain the meaning of the words, and it is a question of construction in what lands the benefit of the covenant inheres. [Emphasisadded; p. 10, at para. 4]
[23] In Galbraith v. Madawaska Club, Judson J. explained the requirement for an “express annexation of thecovenant” to the lands to be benefitted, based on Zetland: If Galbraith, as assignee of the servient land taking with notice, is to be bound by this covenant, certain essential requirements must besatisfied. I will take it that the covenant is negative in substance, if not form, for the negative implication is very clear.
The requirementsare that this covenant must touch and concern the dominant land, that the Club as covenantee must retain land capable of being benefitedby the covenant and that there must be express annexation of the covenant to the dominant land. In my opinion, all three requirementsare lacking in this case. The juridical basis for the enforcement of these covenants has undergone a marked change since Tulk v. Moxhay [(1848), 2 Ph. 774]. Thedoctrine of notice was the decisive factor in that case. The presently developed theory of enforceability is that expressed by Rand J. inNoble and Wolf v.
Alley, (SCC), [1951] S.C.R. 64 at 69, 1 D.L.R. 321: Covenants enforceable under the rule of Tulk v. Moxhay (1848), 11 Beav. 571; 50 E.R. 937, are properly conceived as running with theland in equity and, by reason of their enforceability, as constituting an equitable servitude or burden on the servient land. The essence ofsuch an incident is that it should touch or concern the land as contradistinguished from a collateral effect.
In that sense, it is a relationbetween parcels, annexed to them and, subject to the equitable rule of notice, passing with them both as to benefit and burden intransmissions by operation of law as well as by act of the parties. Assuming for the moment that there has been an annexation of this covenant to some land of the Club capable of being benefited at thetime of the conveyance to Mrs. Firth, does this covenant relating to occupation of the servient land touch or concern the dominant landfor it is that land which must be “touched or concerned” (Rogers v. Hosegood [[1900] 2 Ch. 388 at 404, 69 L.J. Ch. 652])?
There is noprivity of contract between Galbraith, as owner of the restricted land, and the Club. The Club has parted with the fee simple. If the Clubis to enforce the covenant against Galbraith, it must be done for the benefit of land retained by the Club at the date of thecovenant. It is this protected land which must be touched and concerned by the covenant, within the classic definition of Farwell J. inRogers v.
Hosegood, supra, p. 395: The covenant must either affect the land as regards mode of occupation or it must be such as per se, and not merely from collateralcircumstances, affects the value of the land. […] There is nothing in the conveyance from the Club to Mrs. Firth which attempts to annex the benefit of the covenant to any landretained by the Club. Further, there is no evidence anywhere in the record to indicate whether the Club had any such land capable ofbeing benefited.
The grantee simply covenants for herself, her heirs, executors, administrators and assigns, with the grantor, itssuccessors and assigns, to the intent that the burden of the covenants should run with the lands during the corporate existence of the Clubbut nothing is said about any other lands. This fails to meet what I think must be regarded as the minimum requirements that thedeed itself must so define the land to be benefited as to make it easily ascertainable (Zetland v.
Driver [[1939] Ch. 1 at 8, 107 L.J.Ch. 316]). [Emphasis added; pp. 651-653] [24] Judson J. noted the court had previously concluded (in Beaver Lumber) that it was not necessary to considerthe “extent of the admissibility of evidence of surrounding circumstances, for the purpose of indicating the existence or situation of otherland of the covenantee intended to be benefitted” (majority opinion, p. 654). Describing the situation in Galbraith as the same as inBeaver Lumber, Judson J. stated: There was exactly the same situation in Canadian Construction Company Limited v.
Beaver Lumber Limited [ (SCC),[1955] S.C.R. 682, 3 D.L.R. 502]. In that case Beaver Lumber was the owner of two parcels of land, A and B. It conveyed parcel A in1944 and took a covenant that the grantee would not, for a period of 25 years, carry on a lumber business on the lands. The landseventually came into the hands of Canadian Construction Company with notice of the covenant. There was nothing in the agreementcontaining the covenant which annexed its benefit to parcel B on which Beaver Lumber Limited was carrying on a lumber business.
Theinference drawn by the learned trial judge was that the covenant was intended by the parties to be personal to the covenantee and not forthe benefit of parcel B. The Court of Appeal reversed the finding of the trial judge but the judgment at trial was restored in this Court.The majority of the Court did not find it necessary to consider the extent of the admissibility of evidence of surrounding circumstances,for the purpose of indicating the existence or situation of other land of the covenantee intended to be benefited. However, the plain
implication in the judgment of this Court in affirming the trial judgment was that a restrictive covenant contained in anagreement which omits all reference to any dominant land, although it sets out the restrictions placed upon the servient land, isunenforceable by the covenantee against a successor in title of the covenantor, since such an agreement expresses no intentionthat any other lands should be benefited by the covenant.
A covenant running with the land cannot be created in this manner and inthe absence of any attempted annexation of the benefit to some particular land of the covenantee, the covenant is personal and collateralto the conveyance as being for the benefit of the covenantee alone. [Emphasis added; pp. 653-654] [25] The minority opinion in Beaver Lumber addressed the issue of evidence respecting the existence of other landto be benefitted. Locke J. decided such evidence was inadmissible in the absence of any words in a deed which referenced a property tobe benefitted.
He reasoned that in such a case there is no ambiguity and the deed’s “provisions cannot be supplemented by oralevidence, not explanatory of its terms or identifying its subject matter [by] adding a term […]” (p. 693): I am unable, with great respect, to agree with the view that, in construing this agreement, oral evidence was admissible. I do notconsider that the cases referred to in the judgment at the trial support that view. In Bowes v.
Rankin [ (ON CA), [1924]4 D.L.R. 406], the report does not indicate whether the agreement sought to be enforced identified the dominant estate, and the questionas to the admissibility of the evidence does not appear to have been argued. In Zetland v. Driver, as pointed out by Farwell J. at p.162, the conveyance of the lands referred to the settlement in which the lands, of which those conveyed formed part, werereferred to and expressly stated that the covenant was for the benefit of the unsold part of the land comprised in the settlement.In Smith v.
River Douglas [[1949] 2 All E.R. 179], the conveyance to the plaintiff Smith, in terms, provided that it was conveyedwith the benefit of the agreement of April 25, 1938, which referred to, though it did not describe by metes and bounds, the landsentitled to the benefit of the covenant and the learned judges of the Court of Appeal considered that evidence to identify theselands might be given. In Laurie v. Winch [ (SCC), [1953] 1 S.C.R. 49], there was ambiguity in the terms of thegrant which, Kellock J. held, might be explained by oral evidence, relying upon Waterpark v.
Fennell [(1859) 7 H.L.C. 650], andother authorities to the like effect. In that case, the headnote is to the effect that, where parcels are described in old documents bywords of a general nature or of doubtful import, evidence of usage is proper to be received to show what they comprehend.
There is noambiguity in the language of the agreement of March 7, 1944, and, in my opinion, its provisions cannot be supplemented by oralevidence, not explanatory of its terms or identifying its subject matter but adding a term calculated to bring the covenant withinthe second class referred to by Farwell J. in Zetland’s case. [Emphasis added; pp. 692-693] [26] To be clear, in Beaver Lumber and Galbraith, the conveyances in question made no reference to lands thatwere intended to benefit from the covenants. [27] Since Galbraith, the Supreme Court has not addressed “the admissibility of evidence of surroundingcircumstances, for the purpose of indicating the existence or situation of other land of the covenantee intended to be benefitted”(majority, p. 654). [28] At about the same time as Galbraith, courts in England considered whether covenants could be annexed todominant lands even where such land was not identified in, or directly ascertainable from, the conveyance.
Wilberforce, J. concluded thiswas possible in Marten v. Flight Refuelling Ltd., [1962] Ch. 115, [1961] 2 All. E.R. 696 (following Newton Abbott Co-operative SocietyLtd. v. Williamson & Treadgold Ltd., [1952] Ch. 286). He stated: It was said that, unless the identity of the land to be benefited was clearly stated in, or directly ascertainable from, the conveyance, apurchaser would be placed in an impossible position: he would never know by whom the covenant could be enforced, or whether it wasenforceable at all.
I am not impressed by this objection: the original covenantee is ascertainable from the document – and moreoverappears on or can be ascertained from the land charges register. In a case where the covenant is sought to be enforced by an assign fromhim, such assign must always prove his right to sue, whether by virtue of annexation, by devolution, by assignment of the benefit of thecovenant. The plaintiff may also (as in Tulk v. Moxhay [2 Ph. 774]) have to show that he retains property for whose benefit the covenantwas imposed.
These are matters which arise in all cases where restrictive covenants are sought to be enforced otherwise than as betweenthe original parties, and I see no greater difficulty in dealing with them in cases such as the present. [p. 705, cited to All. E.R.] [29] However, rejecting such an approach and confining the analysis respecting identification of dominant lands tothe conveyance itself, Schroeder J.A. stated, in Sekretov and City of Toronto, (ON CA), [1973] 2 O.R. 161 (C.A.): While any pronouncement of so eminent a jurist as Lord Wilberforce deserves the utmost deference, it cannot be permitted to prevail
against the law as enunciated in our own Court of last resort. I am not in the least impressed with the submission of appellant’s counsel that the judgment of the Supreme Court of Canada in the Madawaska case, supra , would have been different had the members of that Court been aware of the decision of Wilberforce, J., in the Marten case.
Our Courts have recognized that the purchaser of land needs to know before he is sued, or, indeed, before he forms a decision whether or not to breach a particular covenant, or to purchase property burdened with it, who is the person who will seek to enforce it, and what parcel of land is claimed to enjoy the benefit of the covenant. Will a search in the Registry Office provide the solution? Charges of this nature are registered against the name of the owner whose estate is intended to be burdened, i.e., the covenantor.
The name of the covenantee will appear in the title deeds, but it may not be possible to trace him or otherwise ascertain the identity of the land to be benefited. It is much more satisfactory for the purchaser of the encumbered land to be provided with an indication in the deed to show which is the land to be benefited. He is placed in a most precarious position if he must first breach the covenant and then wait in fear and trembling to see if he is to be sued.
The view taken by the Supreme Court in the cases referred to, supra , reflects the more recent trend of thinking upon this subject as illustrated in the two following instances : the report of the English Law Commission on Restrictive Covenants (1967), No. 11 and the Land Obligations Bill which followed it provided that the land to be benefited should be specified in the instrument creating the obligation (cl. 5). I also refer to s. 129(4) of the Land Titles Act which sets out the four requirements that must be met before a restrictive covenant can be registered under the Act .
It reads as follows: 129(4) A covenant shall not be registered under subsection 3 unless, (
a) the covenantor is the owner of the land to be burdened by the covenant; (
b) the covenantee is a person other than the covenantor; (
c) the covenantee owns land to be benefited by the covenant and that land is mentioned in the covenant ; and (
d) the covenantor signs the application to assume the burden of the covenant. [Emphasis added.] [ 30 ] Schroeder J.A.’s conclusion relies upon not only the rationale that forms the basis for requiring benefitting lands to be identified in a conveyance, but also the express statutory requirement to “mention” such lands as a condition of having the covenants registered under Ontario’s Land Titles Act .
While I do not read Beaver Lumber or Galbraith to be as prescriptive as Schroeder J.A. indicates in other parts of his decision, there is no doubt that where a conveyance makes no reference to the lands intended to be benefitted by covenants, there is no annexation to such lands. In addition, there can be little doubt that statutory provisions respecting the identification of lands to be benefitted bear on whether the lands may be ascertained from the conveyance, even where those provisions do not contain an absolute requirement to describe benefitting lands. B.
The applicable legislation [ 31 ] As noted, the parties’ lands are currently registered under the Land Titles Act . While this legislation first became operative in the 1980s, its application was restricted, initially as a pilot project, to a single county; by 2001, it applied throughout the province.
Since then, certain prescribed transactions have required parcels of land to be brought within the land titles system or they could be voluntarily migrated to the system. [ 32 ] Although the registration of the 1989 and 1999 deeds granted in relation to the respondents’ property occurred under the Registry Act , both conveyances were subject to statutory provisions applicable to restrictive covenants, which expressly relate to the lands to be benefitted by the covenants. [ 33 ] The Standard Form of Conveyances Act , S.N.B., 1980, c. S-12.2 , provides for a deed to be in a prescribed form: Deed (Form A13).
To allow a conveyance by deed to include “restrictions,” Regulation 83-131 permits Form A13 to be modified to include either of two prescribed paragraphs, both of which provide for the restrictions to be incorporated in a “Schedule “E” to the Deed (Form A13):
(7) In a deed which is made subject to restrictions, either of the following paragraphs may be added to Form A13 to include the restrictions by reference: To the intent that the burden of this covenant run with the parcel described in
Schedule “A”, the grantor and the grantee respectively covenant and agree with each other and, as to the grantee, with the owner or owners of any other parcel to which is attached the benefit of the restrictions set out in
Schedule “E” attached hereto, that the grantee and his successors in title will comply with the restrictions set out in
Schedule “E” and will exact covenants, the same as those contained herein, from the grantee in any deed which the grantee may make of the parcel or any part thereof. OR To the intent that the burden of this covenant run with the parcel described in
Schedule “A” to the benefit of the parcel described in
Schedule “F” , the grantee covenants and agrees with the grantor that the grantee and his successors in title will comply with the restrictions set out in
Schedule “E” and will exact covenants, the same as those contained herein, from the grantee in any deed which the grantee may make of the parcel or any part thereof. [Emphasis added.] 2
(7) Dans un acte de transfert établi sous réserve de restrictions, l’un ou l’autre des paragraphes suivants peut être ajouté à la Formule A13 afin d’inclure les restrictions par renvoi : Afin que l’obligation de cet engagement suive la parcelle décrite à l’Annexe « A », le cédant et le cessionnaire respectivement conviennent et acceptent, l’un envers l’autre, et, en ce qui concerne le cessionnaire, envers le ou les propriétaires de toute autre parcelle à laquelle est attaché le bénéfice des restrictions figurant à l’Annexe « E » ci-jointe, que le cessionnaire et ses successeurs en
titre se conformeront aux restrictions figurant à l’Annexe « E » et qu’ils exigeront le respect des engagements qui sont semblables à ceux qui figurent aux présentes, de la part du cessionnaire de tout acte de transfert de la totalité ou de toute
partie de la parcelle que le cessionnaire peut effectuer. OU Afin que l’obligation de cet engagement suive la parcelle décrite à l’Annexe « A », au profit de la parcelle décrite à l’Annexe « F » , le cessionnaire convient et accepte avec le cédant que le cessionnaire et ses successeurs en
titre se conformeront aux restrictions figurant à l’Annexe « E » et qu’ils exigeront le respect des engagements qui sont semblables à ceux qui figurent aux présentes, de la part du cessionnaire de tout acte de transfert de la totalité ou de toute
partie de la parcelle que le cessionnaire peut effectuer. [Les caractères gras et le soulignement sont de moi.] [ 34 ] As would be expected, both paragraphs in s. 2(7) provide that the restrictions are a burden on the parcel(
s) of land being conveyed, which is described in
Schedule “A.” [ 35 ] Where the parcel of land to be benefitted by the restrictions is to be expressly identified, the second of the paragraphs is plainly applicable; it calls for a description of the parcel to be attached as
Schedule “F” to the Deed (Form A13). [ 36 ] Alternatively, instead of identifying specifically the lands to be benefitted from the restrictions upon the parcel conveyed, the first paragraph of s. 2(7) provides for the grantee to covenant with the “ owners of any other parcel to which is attached the benefit of the restrictions set out in
Schedule ‘E’.” [ 37 ] It is this first paragraph that was incorporated in the 1989 Deed (Form A13) from the Legers, and it was also used in the 1999 conveyance to the respondents.
[38] The respondents maintain this paragraph is intended to capture those situations where the covenants are for thebenefit of other parcels that are part of a common building scheme, along with the parcel conveyed. While the Legers do not challengethis assertion respecting the paragraphs’ object, their position is nevertheless that a proper construction of the respondents’ deed justifiesinterpreting it as identifying Ms. Leger’s lots as intended to be benefitted by the covenants.
Since this was the assertion made before theapplication judge, opposed by the respondents, and rejected by the application judge, it will be the focus of the analysis that follows. [39] However, before doing so, I would make two observations.
First, there is little reason to doubt that the object ofthe two paragraphs in s. 2(7) is to provide standard language for the two ways the common law recognizes the benefit of covenants maybe annexed to lands: (1) where the conveyance expressly identifies the lands to be benefitted by the covenants; or (2) where thecovenants are a burden on and a benefit to parcels of land that are both or all part of a common building scheme.
Indeed, the words usedin the provisions reflect language used in the case law that preceded their enactment, and these two means of annexation were wellestablished and had just been affirmed in New Brunswick (see Friesen and Friesen v. Valleyview Estates Ltd. (1977), (NB KB), 18 N.B.R. (2d) 1, [1977] N.B.J. No. 125 (QL)) when the legislation was enacted in 1980. While the failure to follow thestatute may not invalidate a registration or covenant, it cannot be described as consistent with the standard, and it may have a detrimentalbearing on the
interpretation of the instrument. It would require a very clear intention to negate the intent of a prescribed provision usedin the same instrument.
After all, the purposes of the Standard Form of Conveyances Act include standardizing, simplifying, andshortening the legal terms contained within conveyances (s. 0.1): 0.1 The purpose of this Act is to standardizethe form and content of conveyances of land,to simplify the English language version ofcommon law legal terms and provide Frenchlanguage equivalents for these terms, and toprovide shortened equivalents in both officiallanguages for traditional long form legalclauses. 0.1 La présente loi vise à normaliser la formeet le contenu des transferts de bien-fonds,simplifier la version anglaise des termesjuridiques de Common Law, fournir deséquivalents français de ces termes et fournirdans les deux langues officielles deséquivalents abrégés des clauses juridiques deslongues formules traditionnelles. [40] Second, provisions respecting registration under the Land Titles Act may be relevant to the issue of whether aconveyance satisfies the requirement to identify the lands benefitted by restrictive covenants.
As acknowledged above, and as wassubmitted to and accepted by the application judge, registration under the Act does not make restrictive covenants run with land, if theywould not by their nature run with the land, based on common law principles. However, this is not to say the Act has no relevance to theinterpretative analysis respecting the identification of benefitting lands. The legislation of some jurisdictions requires a description ofbenefitted lands as a condition of registration (for example, Ontario; see Schroeder J.A.’s decision in Sekretov and City of Toronto).
It hasbeen suggested that in New Brunswick, even in the absence of such an express provision in the Act, the result may be practically thesame since the Act contains a general requirement for any instrument registering an interest in land to describe that land; it was opinedthat this could apply to the benefit of restrictive covenants (La Forest, Anger & Honsberger Law of Real Property, at 16-8, fn 24). Theapplicability of such provisions was neither raised nor in issue in this proceeding, and it need not be addressed to dispose of the matter. C. The alleged errors in the
interpretation of the respondents’ deed [41] In support of their position that the application judge was wrong to conclude the respondents’ deed does “notsufficiently describe” their property, the Legers’ maintain: (1) the respondents’ deed identifies their lands as those intended to bebenefitted by the restrictions;
(2) Schedule “A” doesn’t merely describe the land conveyed to the respondents, it also indicates that theirlands are the dominant lands; and (3) the covenants in
Schedule “E” support interpreting the deed as identifying the lands owned by Ms.Leger as benefitted by the covenants. These submissions follow closely the arguments the Legers made to the application judgerespecting the
interpretation of the respondents’ deed. [42] The substantive provisions on the face of the 1989 Deed (Form A13) from the Legers to Dr. Serge Saint-Amant and Dr. Rosaline Belliveau, which are the same as those in the 1999 deed to the respondents, are as follows: The grantor conveys to the grantee in fee simple as Joint Tenants the parcel described in
Schedule “A” attached hereto. To the intent that the burden of this covenant run with the parcel described in
Schedule “A”, the grantor and the grantee respectivelycovenant and agree with each other and, as to the grantee, with the owner or owners of any other parcel of which is attached thebenefit of the restrictions set out in
Schedule “E” attached hereto, that the grantee and his successors in title will comply with therestrictions set out in
Schedule “E” and will exact covenants, the same as those contained herein, from the grantee in any deed which thegrantee may make of the parcel or any part thereof. [Emphasis added.]
[ 43 ]
Schedule “A” contains a description of the lot conveyed to the respondents, as identified on the registered subdivision plan, together with a right-of-way over an access road. [ 44 ]
Schedule “E” sets out the restrictive covenants, which includes: 1. The lands to which these building restrictions shall apply (hereinafter called the “ said lands ”) include the lot or lots hereinbefore described. […] 5.
The said lands or any buildings erected […] shall not be used for the purpose of any profession, trade, employment, service, manufacturer or business of any description, nor as a school, hospital or other charitable institution, nor as a hotel, apartment house, rooming house or place of public resort, nor for any sport (other than such games as are usually played in connection with the occupants of a private residence[)] nor for any other purposes than a private residence or cottage for the use of one family only to each dwelling unit; nor shall anything be done or permitted upon any of the said lands or buildings erected or to be erected thereon which shall be a nuisance to the other occupants of any neighbouring lands or buildings. […] 12.
It is the intent that the burden of these covenants shall run with the said lands . 13. Provided always that notwithstanding anything herein contained, the grantor and its successors shall have power […] to waive, alter or modify the above covenants and restrictions in their application to any lot or lots or to any part thereof comprising part of the said lands with notice to and consent by the majority of the owners of any other lot on the said lands . [Emphasis added.] [ 45 ] While the issue is whether the application judge erred in the
interpretation of the deed as set out above, it cannot be ignored, that neither the 1989 deed executed by the Legers, nor the 1999 deed to the respondents, incorporates the paragraph from s. 2(7) that provides for the express identification of the lands to be benefitted (and they do not attach a description of the lots retained by the Legers in a
Schedule “F”). In view of this and the Legers’ claim that the deed(
s) nevertheless identify Ms. Leger’s lots as benefitting from the covenants, it might appear the choice of paragraphs to incorporate in 1989 was a mistake. Regardless, as a matter of
interpretation, the words used in the deed must be taken as representing the intention of the parties. [ 46 ] Parenthetically, I would note the Legers offered evidence they intended the covenants to be for the benefit of all lots in the subdivision they created in 1988. Such evidence of intent is not part of the surrounding circumstances that may be used to assist in the construction of the deed; however, it does suggest the choice of paragraphs in the 1989 deed was deliberate.
It was not intended to identify the specific parcel to be benefitted but rather, to include covenants for the benefit of other properties (not expressly described) to “which [are] attached the benefit of the restrictions,” namely properties part of a common building scheme. This might have been effective to attach the benefit of the covenants to Ms. Leger’s property but for the fact that, as found by the application judge, her lots are not subject to the restrictions imposed on the respondents’ property and her lots are not part of a common building scheme.
As the application judge noted in his reasons, while the restrictions are not enforceable by the Legers, they may be enforceable by owners of other properties in the subdivision that are part of a common scheme. [ 47 ] Despite the deed not specifically describing her parcels in a
Schedule “F” (as contemplated by the second paragraphs in s. 2(7)), Ms. Leger’s position is that the deed, properly interpreted, identifies her parcels as intended to benefit from the restrictive covenants. [ 48 ] This is not evident from the face of the deed alone, which identifies neither Ms. Legers’ parcels specifically nor any characteristics of the properties intended to benefit that lead to the identification of her lands, apart from their inclusion as part of a building scheme, a category that does not apply to her lots. Admittedly, unlike a number of reported decisions where the covenants at
issue are not even described in the conveyance as being a burden that runs with the land or intended to benefit other lands, both are present in this case. However, there is no error in the determination that the deed does not identify Ms. Leger’s property as the lands intended to be benefitted. [ 49 ] The Legers submit the reference in the
Schedule “A” description (to “ALL THOSE CERTAIN lots, pieces or parcels of land situate […] at the West side of N.B. Highway No. 530 […] more particularly described on a plan of lands entitled Subdivision Plan Islandview Subdivision”) not only identifies Lot 88-2, which is expressly referenced and was conveyed to the respondents, but also identifies all the lots on the west side of the highway, including Ms. Leger’s lots. For good reason the judge rejected this submission. The deed incorporates
Schedule “A” solely to identify the lands conveyed, namely Lot 88-2, and further, as would be expected, it makes no reference to any other lot by number nor does it refer to the covenants. [ 50 ] The Legers also argued the reference to “said lands” in the restrictions set out in
Schedule “E,” at paragraphs 1 and 13, require that the instrument as a whole be interpreted as including Ms. Leger’s property as benefitting from the covenants. Paragraph 13 provides that the restrictions may be modified on the consent of “the majority of the owners of any other lot on the said lands.” I agree such words and certain other covenants in
Schedule “E” generally contemplate the lands being benefitted by the covenants; however, this is consistent with the covenants being for the benefit of lots under a building scheme and I do not agree that to have meaning such words must be interpreted as referring to or including the lots owned by Ms. Leger. The covenants do not otherwise contain anything that would identify the lots owned by Ms. Leger. [ 51 ] In
summary, the deed contains nothing that supports the identification of a specific lot or lots to be benefitted by the covenants, except as part of a building scheme which Ms. Leger’s lots are not a part of. There is no error in the analysis of the application judge. V. Disposition [ 52 ] I would dismiss the appeal, with costs of $2,500 payable by the appellants. Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par LE JUGE FRENCH I.
Introduction [1] Fernand et Linda Leger ont présenté une demande à la Cour du Banc de la Reine en vue d’obtenir une ordonnance déclarant des covenants restrictifs exécutoires par rapport à la propriété des intimés et empêchant ces derniers d’utiliser leur résidence comme location de vacances. Les intimés avaient récemment offert celle-ci en location par l’entremise du service Internet Airbnb. [2] Les Leger soutiennent que les covenants sont rattachés au bien-fonds appartenant aux intimés et limitent l’utilisation de leur propriété à une habitation unifamiliale privée, occupée par un seul ménage.
Les covenants ont figuré pour la première fois dans un acte de transfert établi par les Leger, à
titre de concédants, en faveur des anciens propriétaires du bien des intimés, à
titre de concessionnaires. Les covenants ont été repris dans un acte de transfert subséquent en faveur des intimés, et ils ont été reconnus expressément par les intimés lorsque ceux-ci ont signé l’acte de transfert à
titre de concessionnaires. [3] Le juge a rejeté la demande des Leger. Il a conclu qu’ils n’avaient pas droit à l’exécution des covenants puisque l’acte de transfert établi en faveur des intimés [TRADUCTION] « ne décrivait [ou ne désignait] pas adéquatement » la propriété des Leger comme étant les biens-fonds devant bénéficier des covenants (par. 21). Il a conclu qu’il n’était pas possible d’établir à partir de l’acte de transfert que leurs biens-fonds étaient les fonds dominants.
[4] Le juge a également rejeté la demande subsidiaire des Leger portant qu’ils avaient droit à l’exécution des covenants au motif qu’ils faisaient
partie d’un même projet de construction, qui s’appliquait aux deux propriétés. Faisant remarquer que la propriété des Leger n’était soumise à aucun covenant, il a conclu qu’elle n’était pas visée par un projet réciproque ou commun qui s’appliquait aussi à la propriété des intimés. [5] En appel, les Leger ne contestent que la manière dont le juge a interprété l’acte de transfert établi en faveur des intimés et sa conclusion portant qu’il n’est pas possible d’établir, à partir de l’acte de transfert, que la propriété des Leger doit bénéficier des covenants.
Je suis d’avis de rejeter l’appel pour les motifs exposés ci-après. II. Contexte [6] Les Leger étaient propriétaires d’un terrain situé entre la côte du détroit de Northumberland et un chemin qui est relativement parallèle à la côte. En 1988, ils ont subdivisé ce terrain en huit lots, avec une nouvelle voie d’accès menant aux lots le long de la côte.
Au fil du temps, ils ont vendu six lots (désignés dans le plan de lotissement comme les lots 88-1 à 88-6) et ont retenu deux lots pour eux-mêmes (les lots 88-7 et 88-8). [7] En 1989, les Leger ont transporté les lots 88-2 et 88-3 au D r Serge Saint-Amant et à la D re Rosaline Belliveau, par un acte de transfert qui incorporait les covenants restrictifs que l’on cherche à faire respecter. [8] En 1997, les Leger ont transféré les lots 88-7 et 88-8 à M me Leger en propriété exclusive.
C’est le seul acte de transfert visant ces lots, et il ne contient aucun covenant restrictif. [9] Le dossier n’indique pas si les actes de transfert établis par les Leger à l’égard de tous les autres lots constituant le lotissement contiennent des covenants restrictifs.
Il y avait une certaine preuve établissant qu’un autre lot est grevé de covenants restrictifs et que le propriétaire de celui-ci avait loué sa résidence sans plaintes de la part d’autres personnes dans le lotissement. [10] En 1999, les intimés ont acquis le lot 88-2 par acte de transfert qui reprenait les covenants restrictifs énoncés dans l’acte de transfert de 1989 établi en faveur du D r Serge Saint-Amant et de la D re Rosaline Belliveau.
Les covenants obligent le concessionnaire à s’assurer qu’un acheteur subséquent du bien-fonds souscrive aux mêmes covenants en faveur du vendeur. [11] Ni l’acte de transfert de 1989 ni celui de 1999 ne font expressément référence aux lots appartenant à M me Leger (88-7 et 88-8) comme étant les biens-fonds devant bénéficier des covenants. [12] À divers moments depuis 2000, les intimés ont loué leur résidence située sur le lot 88-2 à des tiers. Plus récemment, ils l’ont offerte à
titre de location de vacances par l’entremise du service Airbnb. III.
Moyens d’appel [13] Les Leger affirment que le juge saisi de la demande a commis une erreur de fait et a appliqué le droit de façon erronée en concluant ce qui suit : (1) l’acte de transfert établi en faveur des intimés ne décrit pas adéquatement le fonds dominant; (2) l’annexe « A » de l’acte de transfert décrit simplement le bien-fonds qui est transporté aux intimés et ne décrit pas aussi le fonds dominant; et (3) les covenants restrictifs énoncés à l’annexe « E » ne précisent pas qu’ils sont établis au profit des biens-fonds appartenant à M me Leger.
Les trois moyens d’appel se rapportent tous à la manière dont le juge saisi de la demande a interprété l’acte de transport. En outre, la norme de révision qui s’applique aux questions d’interprétation est la norme de l’erreur manifeste et dominante. Bien que l’on ait allégué l’existence d’une erreur de droit, aucune question de droit distincte n’a été soulevée.
IV. Analyse [14] Les parties s’entendent sur le droit et les principes applicables à la question de savoir si les covenantsrestrictifs sont personnels et exécutoires uniquement entre le covenantant et le covenantaire primitifs, ou s’ils sont rattachés au bien-fonds. Pour que de tels covenants soient opposables par des propriétaires subséquents des biens-fonds et contre ceux-ci, il faut que lefonds dominant soit désigné dans l’acte de transport qui impose les restrictions ou qu’il fasse
partie d’un même projet de constructionavec les biens-fonds grevés des restrictions. Notre Cour a reconnu ces conditions dans Woolworth (F.W.) Cie Limitée c. Compagnie de la Baie d’Hudson, Burnac Leaseholds Limited et Zeller Inc. (1985), (NB CA), 61 R.N.-B. (2e) 403, [1985] A.N.-B. no 160 (QL) (C.A.) : [TRADUCTION] Ainsi que le juge Dickson l’a souligné dans l’arrêt Friesen c. Valleyview Estates Ltd. (1977), (NB KB), 18 N.B.R.(2d) 1; 26 A.P.R. 1, une clause restrictive grève le bien-fonds dans deux circonstances.
Le juge Dickson a dit, à la page 5 : Selon moi, il est bien établi en droit qu’on peut considérer qu’une clause restrictive grève le bien-fonds dans deux circonstancesseulement, à savoir :
a) lorsqu’il est stipulé que la clause s’applique à l’avantage du bien-fonds décrit, appartenant au destinatairede l’engagement, qu’il soit précisé ou non que cette clause engagera les successeurs ou ayants droit du cessionnaire auquel elle estinitialement transférée; ou, à défaut,
b) si le bien-fonds auquel la clause est défavorable et celui auquel elle est favorable font tous deuxpartie d’un même projet de construction dont toutes les parties sont soumises aux mêmes restrictions – sinon en totalité du moins pourune grande part. [Les caractères gras et le soulignement sont de moi; par. 44.] Voir aussi Arthur et Arthur c. Nelson (1988), (NB KB), 88 R.N.-B. (2e) 217, [1988] A.N.-B. no 402 (QL); Lockmac Holdings Ltd. c. Earle et al. (1997), (NB KB), 185 R.N.-B. (2e) 360, [1997] A.N.-B. no 35 (QL); Concerned Citizens of Westwood Subdivision c.
McCutcheon et al. (2000), (NB KB), 226 R.N.-B. (2e) 13, [2000] A.N.-B. no 131 (QL); 665399 N.B. Inc. c. Connors, 2015 NBBR 236, 445 R.N.-B. (2e) 1. [15] Comme nous l’avons indiqué, les Leger ne contestent pas la conclusion du juge saisi de la demande portant que la propriété de Mme Leger ne fait pas
partie d’un même projet de construction; ils interjettent appel de sa conclusion portant que l’acte de transfert établi en faveur des intimés ne désigne [TRADUCTION] « pas adéquatement » la propriété de Mme Leger (lots 88-7 et88-8) comme étant le bien-fonds devant bénéficier des covenants. [16] Bien qu’il soit possible d’énoncer de façon simple la condition selon laquelle le profit que procurent lescovenants restrictifs doit se rattacher à des biens-fonds reconnaissables, il y a eu une certaine divergence d’opinions concernant le degréde spécificité requis pour désigner les biens-fonds devant bénéficier des covenants.
Ce problème a été corrigé dans une large mesure, dumoins en pratique, par des lois qui exigent ou qui établissent des normes pour la désignation des biens-fonds devant bénéficier de covenants restrictifs.
Comme Anne Warner La Forest l’a indiqué dans Anger & Honsberger Law of Real Property, 3e éd. (ThomsonReuters, 2021) : [TRADUCTION] Bien qu’il puisse y avoir une certaine confusion dans la jurisprudence quant au degré de spécificité requis pour décrire le fondsbénéficiaire afin d’assurer un rattachement effectif, en termes pratiques, les lois provinciales en matière d’enregistrement foncierclarifient cette condition.
Le bien-fonds visé ne peut être enregistré que si l’acte de transport le décrit; la description requise pour les finsde l’enregistrement sera donc la norme applicable. […] [Les caractères italiques et le soulignement sont de moi; p. 16-9 et 16-10.] [17] Comme les auteurs le reconnaissent, les lois provinciales en matière d’enregistrement foncier varient quelque
peu par rapport à la désignation du fonds dominant; alors que certaines sont assez normatives, d’autres le sont moins. Quoi qu’il en soit, la question de savoir si des covenants restrictifs ont force exécutoire, y compris la question de savoir s’il est possible d’établir le fonds dominant à partir d’un acte de transport, oblige à tenir compte à la fois des dispositions législatives et des principes de common law qui s’appliquent. [18] En l’espèce, bien que les actes de transfert de 1989 et 1999 ont été enregistrés sous le régime de la
Loi sur l’enregistrement , L.R.N.-B. 1973, ch. R-6, les biens-fonds appartenant aux parties sont présentement enregistrés sous le régime de la Loi sur l’enregistrement foncier , L.N.-B. 1981, ch. L-1.1. La
Loi sur l’enregistrement foncier ne supplante pas l’application des principes de common law à la question générale de savoir si les covenants prévus dans un acte de transport sont rattachés à des biens-fonds ou s’ils lient simplement le covenantant et le covenantaire à
titre personnel :
Registration of instrument containingconditions or covenants 48(2) Every successive owner of the land isaffected with notice of the condition orcovenant and is bound thereby if it is of suchnature as to run with the land, but any suchcondition or covenant may be modified ordischarged by order of the court on proof tothe satisfaction of the court that (
a) the modification or discharge will bebeneficial to the persons principally interestedin the enforcement of the condition orcovenant; (
b) the condition or covenant conflicts withthe provisions of a zoning by-law, officialplan or development scheme issued, made orestablished under the authority of anenactment and the modification or dischargeis in the public interest; or (
c) the condition or covenant offends publicpolicy or is prohibited by law. 48(3) The registration of an instrumentcontaining a condition or covenant intendedto run with the land or annexed thereto doesnot (
a) make the condition or covenant run withthe land if, on account of its nature or of themanner in which it is expressed, it would nototherwise be annexed to or run with theland; or (
b) constitute a determination by the registrarof its essential nature or enforceability. [Emphasis added.] Enregistrement d’un instrument contenantune condition ou un engagement 48(2) Tous les propriétaires successifs dubien-fonds sont avisés de l’existence de lacondition ou engagement et sont liés par euxs’ils sont d’une nature suivant ce bien-fonds, mais cette condition ou engagementpeuvent être modifiés ou annulés parordonnance de la cour sur preuve jugéesatisfaisante par celle-ci que
a) la modification ou la quittance profiteraaux personnes intéressées au premier chef àla mise en vigueur de la condition ou del’engagement.
b) la condition ou l’engagement entrent enconflit avec les dispositions d’un arrêté dezonage, d’un plan officiel ou d’un projet demise en valeur établi en vertu d’un textelégislatif et la modification ou la quittancedemandées sont d’intérêt public; ou
c) la condition ou l’engagement sontcontraires à l’ordre public ou interdits par laloi. 48(3) Le fait d’enregistrer un instrumentcontenant une condition ou engagementdestinés à être attachés ou annexés au bien-fonds
a) ne suffit pas pour que cette condition ouengagement suivent le bien-fonds si, parailleurs, compte tenu de leur nature ou dela façon dont ils sont exprimés, ils nerépondent pas aux critères poursuivis parle bien-fonds, ou
b) ne peuvent constituer une décision duregistrateur sur leur nature essentielle et leurforce exécutoire. [Les caractères gras et le soulignement sontde moi.] [19] Faisant remarquer qu’en adoptant de telles dispositions, le législateur n’avait pas l’intention de modifier ledroit général en matière de covenants restrictifs, la Cour suprême du Canada a dit ce qui suit à l’égard de la loi intitulée The Land TitlesAct, R.S.A. 1942, ch. 205, dans Canadian Construction Co. Ltd. c. Beaver (Alta.) Lumber Ltd., (SCC), [1955] S.C.R.682 (Beaver Lumber) :
[TRADUCTION] À mon avis, il n’y a rien dans ces dispositions qui modifie le droit général touchant le rattachement des covenants restrictifs au bien-fonds. Elles semblent avoir pour objet d’offrir simplement des méthodes d’enregistrement de covenants pour les porter à l’attention despersonnes qui ont l’intention de prendre des mesures concernant des biens-fonds enregistrés sous le régime de la Loi et de conférer autribunal le pouvoir de modifier ou d’éteindre de tels covenants dans certaines circonstances.
La volonté du législateur de ne pas modifierle droit général me semble se dégager des termes [TRADUCTION] « s’ils sont de nature à être rattachés au bien-fonds » que l’on trouveau par. 53(3) et du libellé du par. 53(4) : [TRADUCTION]
(4) Le fait d’inscrire au registre une condition ou un covenant destinés à être rattachés ou annexés au bien-fonds ne suffit pas pour quecette condition ou ce covenant soient rattachés au bien-fonds si, compte tenu de leur nature ou de la façon dont ils sont exprimés, ils neseraient pas par ailleurs annexés ou rattachés au bien-fonds. [p. 689] A. Les principes et la jurisprudence applicables en matière de désignation des fonds bénéficiaires [20] Les parties s’entendent pour dire que l’arrêt de principe canadien en matière de covenants restrictifs estGalbraith c. Madawaska Club Ltd., (SCC), [1961] S.C.R. 639.
Dans cette décision, la Cour suprême a indiqué que lesprincipes applicables ont pris naissance dans Tulk c. Moxhay (1848), 2 Ph. 774, 41 E.R. 1143, et ont évolué dans la jurisprudence qui asuivi. Appliquant les principes énoncés dans Zetland (Marquess) c. Driver, [1939] Ch. 1, [1938] 2 All.
E.R. 158 (C.A.), concernantl’obligation de désigner les biens-fonds devant bénéficier des covenants restrictifs, la Cour a dit ce qui suit : [TRADUCTION] « l’acte detransfert lui-même doit définir le fonds bénéficiaire de manière qu’il soit facilement déterminable » (p. 653). [21] Dans la décision Tulk, le tribunal a conclu que l’equity permettait que la charge d’un covenant se rattache aubien-fonds. Un covenant visant la conservation à
titre de parc d’une portion du bien-fonds transporté a été jugé opposable à un acheteursubséquent qui l’acquérait en connaissant l’existence du covenant. Des décisions subséquentes ont établi que le profit de covenants peutêtre annexé au bien-fonds du covenantaire, de sorte à rendre le covenant opposable par le successeur au fonds bénéficiaire. Ainsi, leprofit de covenants pourrait suivre le transport du fonds bénéficiaire de la même manière qu’une servitude ou un droit de passage suit letransport du fonds dominant (par exemple, Rogers c. Hosegood, [1900] 2 Ch. 388). Dans Zetland c.
Driver, le juge Farwell, s’exprimantau nom de la Cour d’appel, a expliqué les principes applicables : [TRADUCTION] De tels covenants ne peuvent être imposés de façon valable que s’ils respectent certaines conditions. Premièrement, il doit s’agir decovenants négatifs. Aucun covenant affirmatif obligeant une personne à dépenser de l’argent ou à accomplir un acte quelconque ne peutse rattacher au bien-fonds. Deuxièmement, le covenant doit se rapporter au bien-fonds, ce qui veut dire qu’il doit être imposé au profit,ou pour augmenter la valeur, du bien-fonds que conserve le vendeur ou d’une
partie quelconque de ce bien-fonds et aucun tel covenantne peut être imposé si la vente englobe la totalité du bien-fonds appartenant au vendeur. De plus, le bien-fonds conservé par le vendeurdoit être de nature à pouvoir tirer profit du covenant au moment où celui-ci est imposé.
Troisièmement, le bien-fonds devantbénéficier du covenant doit être défini de manière à être facilement déterminable, et le fait que le covenant soit imposé au profitde ce bien-fonds en particulier doit être indiqué dans l’acte de transport, et les personnes ou les catégories de personnes en droitde l’opposer doivent aussi être indiquées.
Le fait que l’on ne veuille pas que le profit de covenant soit transmis à toutes les personnesqui peuvent acquérir le bien-fonds non vendu n’est pas inacceptable, pour autant que la catégorie de personnes devant bénéficier ducovenant soit clairement définie. [Les caractères gras et le soulignement sont de moi; p. 161-162, avec renvoi aux All. E.R.] [22] Les anciennes décisions anglaises abordaient la désignation du fonds dominant à partir d’un acte de transfertou d’un acte de transport comme une question d’interprétation.
Elles interprétaient le libellé d’un acte de transport de la même manièrequ’elles interpréteraient les covenants eux-mêmes, c’est-à-dire à la lumière des circonstances de l’espèce, et la preuve extrinsèque étaitadmissible pour expliquer le sens des termes employés. Après l’arrêt Zetland, la question de la désignation du fonds dominant dans unacte de transfert a été résumée succinctement dans l’ouvrage de C.H.S. Preston et George Harold Newsom intitulé Restrictive CovenantsAffecting Freehold Land (Toronto : Sweet & Maxwell, 1939) :
[TRADUCTION] Dès qu’il est évident que l’on a voulu que le covenant soit annexé à un bien-fonds quelconque, trois autres questions se posent.Premièrement, il faut établir à quel bien-fonds le covenant doit se rattacher. Parfois, l’instrument définit pleinement le bien-fonds; parexemple, il peut s’agir du « bien-fonds désigné en vert dans le plan qui figure dans les présentes ». Le plus souvent, on emploie destermes qui indiquent les caractéristiques du bien-fonds, par exemple les biens-fonds appartenant au covenantaire « qui sont attenants ou àproximité » du bien-fonds que grève le covenant (Rogers c.
Hosegood, [1900] 2 Ch. 388), ou « attenants ou adjacents »(Re Ecclesiastical Commissioners’ Conveyance, [1936] Ch. 430). Encore, le covenant peut être qualifié d’inhérent à un domaine d’uncertain nom, par exemple, « le domaine de Childwickbury » (Re Bollard’s Conveyance, [1937] Ch. 473), « le domaine de Calverley » (Kelsey c. Dodd, 52 L. J. Ch. 34), « le domaine de Swainston » (Re Simeon, [1937] Ch. 525); ou il est possible d’adopter une formuleencore moins précise : « les domaines de la famille Du Cane à Streatham » (Willé c. St.
John, [1910] 1 Ch. 84, 325); « les biens-fondssitués à … Redcar … qui sont présentement visés par le règlement » (Zetland c. Driver, [1937] Ch. 651; [1939] Ch. 1). Dans pareils cas,la preuve extrinsèque est admissible pour expliquer le sens des termes employés, et la question de savoir quels biens-fondsbénéficient du covenant est une question d’interprétation. [Les caractères gras et le soulignement sont de moi; p. 10, par. 4.] [23] Dans Galbraith c.
Madawaska Club Ltd., le juge Judson a expliqué, en se fondant sur la décision Zetland, lanécessité d’une [TRADUCTION] « annexion expresse du covenant » aux biens-fonds devant en bénéficier : [TRADUCTION] Pour que Galbraith, en tant que concessionnaire avisé du fonds servant, soit lié par ce covenant, certaines conditions essentielles doiventêtre remplies. Je présume qu’il s’agit d’un covenant négatif, en termes de substance sinon en termes de forme, car les conséquencesnégatives sont très claires. Les conditions sont les suivantes : le covenant doit se rapporter au fonds dominant; le Club, à
titre decovenantaire, doit conserver un bien-fonds qui peut bénéficier du covenant; il faut une annexion expresse du covenant au fondsdominant. À mon avis, les trois conditions font défaut en l’espèce. Le fondement juridique de l’exécution de ces covenants a beaucoup changé depuis Tulk c. Moxhay [(1848), 2 Ph. 774]. La doctrine de laconnaissance était le facteur déterminant dans cette affaire-là. La théorie actuelle du caractère exécutoire des covenants est celle qui a étéénoncée par le juge Rand dans Noble and Wolf c.
Alley, (SCC), [1951] S.C.R. 64, à la p. 69, 1 D.L.R. 321 : [TRADUCTION] C’est à bon droit que les covenants qui sont exécutoires en application de la règle énoncée dans Tulk c. Moxhay (1848), 11 Beav. 571; 50E.R. 937, sont réputés être rattachés au bien-fonds en equity et, en raison de leur caractère exécutoire, sont réputés constituer un servicefoncier ou une charge en equity sur le fonds servant. L’essence d’un tel incident est qu’il doit se rapporter au bien-fonds par opposition àle toucher de façon accessoire.
En ce sens, il constitue un rapport entre des parcelles de terrain, y est annexé et, sous réserve de la règlede la connaissance en equity, est transmis avec ces terrains, tant pour ce qui des avantages que pour ce qui est des charges, que latransmission se fasse par l’effet d’une loi ou par acte des parties.
En supposant pour l’instant que ce covenant ait été annexé à un bien-fonds quelconque appartenant au Club qui est susceptible d’en tirer profit au moment du transport à Mme Firth, ce covenant lié à l’occupation du fonds servant se rapporte-t-il au fonds dominant, car c’estle fonds dominant qui doit être « touché ou visé » (Rogers c. Hosegood [[1900] 2 Ch. 388, à la p. 404, 69 L.J. Ch. 652])? Il n’y a pas derelativité contractuelle entre Galbraith, à
titre de propriétaire du bien-fonds que grève le covenant, et le Club. Le Club s’est départi dufief simple. Pour que le Club soit en mesure d’opposer le covenant à Galbraith, ce doit être au profit du bien-fonds conservé parle Club à la date du covenant. C’est ce bien-fonds protégé qui doit être touché et visé par le covenant, au sens de la définitionhistorique formulée par le juge Farwell dans Rogers c. Hosegood, précité, p. 395 : [TRADUCTION] Le covenant doit avoir une incidence sur le mode d’occupation du bien-fonds, ou être de nature telle qu’il a en soi, et non seulement enraison de circonstances accessoires, une incidence sur la valeur du bien-fonds.
[…] Il n’y a rien dans l’acte de transport du Club à Mme Firth qui se veuille une tentative de faire bénéficier le bien-fonds conservépar le Club du profit de covenant. De plus, il n’y a aucune preuve dans le dossier qui indique que le Club aurait quelque bien-fondssusceptible d’en bénéficier.
La concessionnaire s’est simplement engagée en son nom à elle, et au nom de ses héritiers, exécuteurs,administrateurs et ayants droit, envers le concédant, ses successeurs et ayants droit, à ce que la charge imposée par les covenants soitrattachée aux biens-fonds tant que le Club conserverait sa personnalité morale, mais il n’est fait aucunement mention d’autres biens-fonds. Les conditions que je considère minimales, à savoir que l’acte lui-même doit définir le fonds bénéficiaire à être avantagé defaçon à le rendre facilement déterminable, ne sont pas remplies (Zetland c. Driver [[1939] Ch. 1, p. 8, 107 L.J.
Ch. 316]). [Les caractères gras et le soulignement sont de moi; p. 651 à 653.] [24] Le juge Judson a fait remarquer que la Cour avait déjà conclu (dans Beaver Lumber) qu’il n’était pasnécessaire de considérer [TRADUCTION] « la mesure dans laquelle la preuve des circonstances de l’espèce était admissible pourindiquer l’existence ou l’emplacement d’autres biens-fonds appartenant au covenantaire qui devaient bénéficier des covenants » (opinionmajoritaire, p. 654).
En indiquant que la situation dans Galbraith était la même que dans Beaver Lumber, le juge Judson a dit ce qui suit : [TRADUCTION] On retrouve exactement la même situation dans Canadian Construction Company Limited c. Beaver (Alberta) Lumber Limited [ (SCC), [1955] S.C.R. 682, 3 D.L.R. 502]. Dans cette affaire-là, Beaver Lumber était propriétaire de deux terrains, A et B. Il atransporté le terrain A en 1944 et a pris du concessionnaire un covenant que celui-ci n’y exploiterait pas une entreprise de bois d’œuvrependant une période de 25 ans.
La Canadian Construction Company a finalement acquis le bien-fonds avec connaissance du covenant. Iln’y avait rien dans l’entente contenant le covenant qui annexait son profit au terrain B, sur lequel Beaver Lumber Limited exploitait uneentreprise de bois d’œuvre. Selon l’inférence tirée par le juge de première instance, les parties avaient voulu que le covenant lie lecovenantaire personnellement et ne soit pas au profit du terrain B. La Cour d’appel a infirmé la conclusion du juge de première instance,mais le jugement de première instance a été rétabli par notre Cour.
La majorité de la Cour n’a pas jugé nécessaire d’examiner dans quellemesure la preuve des circonstances de l’espèce était admissible afin d’établir l’existence ou l’emplacement d’autres terrains appartenantà la covenantaire qui devaient bénéficier du covenant.
Toutefois, la confirmation par notre Cour du jugement de première instanceimplique clairement qu’un covenant restrictif contenu dans une convention qui ne fait aucune allusion à un bien-fonds dominant,bien qu’il énonce les restrictions imposées au fonds servant, ne peut être exercé par le covenantaire contre le successeur ducovenantant, puisque pareille convention n’indique aucune intention que d’autres biens-fonds bénéficient du covenant.
Uncovenant qui suit le bien-fonds ne peut être créé de cette façon et, en l’absence d’une tentative de bénéficier à un certain bien-fondsappartenant au covenantaire, le covenant est personnel et collatéral au transport et ne peut bénéficier qu’au convenantaire. [Les caractères gras et le soulignement sont de moi; p. 653 et 654.] [25] L’opinion minoritaire dans Beaver Lumber a abordé la question de la preuve touchant l’existence d’autresfonds bénéficiaires.
Le juge Locke a conclu que pareille preuve n’était pas admissible en l’absence de termes dans un acte de transfertqui faisaient mention d’un fonds bénéficiaire. Il a affirmé que, dans pareil cas, il n’y a pas d’ambiguïté, et l’on ne peut [TRADUCTION]« compléter les dispositions [de l’acte de transfert] au moyen d’un témoignage oral, qui n’explique pas ses termes ou qui ne désigne passon objet, [en] y ajoutant un terme […] » (p. 693) : [TRADUCTION] Avec égards, je ne peux souscrire à l’idée que le témoignage oral était admissible pour interpréter cet accord.
Je ne considère pasque la jurisprudence mentionnée dans le jugement de première instance appuie ce point de vue. Dans Bowes c. Rankin [[1924] 2 D.L.R.406], le rapport n’indique pas si l’accord dont on demande l’exécution désignait le fonds dominant, et la question de l’admissibilité dutémoignage ne semble pas avoir été plaidée. Dans Zetland c.
Driver, comme l’a fait remarquer le juge Farwell à la page 162, l’actede transport des biens-fonds faisait mention du règlement dans lequel les biens-fonds, dont les biens-fonds transportés faisaientpartie, étaient mentionnés et indiquait expressément que le covenant était au profit de la
partie invendue des biens-fonds comprisdans le règlement. Dans Smith c. River Douglas [[1949] 2 All E.R. 179], le libellé de l’acte de transport établi en faveur dudemandeur Smith prévoyait que le bien-fonds était transporté avec l’avantage de l’accord conclu le 25 avril 1938, qui faisaitmention des biens-fonds ayant droit au profit de covenant, sans toutefois en donner une description technique, et les juges de laCour d’appel ont jugé que des éléments de preuve pourraient être présentés pour désigner ces biens-fonds. Dans Laurie c.
Winch[ (SCC), [1953] 1 S.C.R. 49], les termes employés dans l’acte de concession étaient ambigus; le juge Kellock, sefondant sur Waterpark c. Fennell [(1859) 7 H.L.C. 650] et sur d’autres décisions allant dans le même sens, a conclu que letémoignage oral pourrait fournir une explication de ces termes. Selon le
sommaire de cette décision, lorsque des terrains sont décritsdans des documents anciens dans des termes de nature générale ou de sens incertain, il convient d’accepter une preuve d’usage afind’établir l’étendue des terrains. Il n’y a pas d’ambiguïté dans le libellé de l’accord du 7 mars 1944 et, à mon avis, ses dispositions ne
peuvent être complétées par un témoignage oral qui n’explique pas ses termes ou ne décrit pas son objet, mais qui ajoute unterme qui vise à ramener le covenant dans la deuxième catégorie mentionnée par le juge Farwell dans la décision Zetland. [Les caractères gras et le soulignement sont de moi; p. 692 et 693.] [26] Précisons que, dans les arrêts Beaver Lumber et Galbraith, les actes de transport en cause ne faisaient aucunemention de biens-fonds qui devaient bénéficier des covenants. [27] Depuis l’arrêt Galbraith, la Cour suprême n’a pas abordé [TRADUCTION] « l’admissibilité de preuv