2016 NBCA 47, 2016 NBCA 47
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF NEW BRUNSWICK COUR D’APPEL DU NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 43-15-CA FOSTER RICHARD ARSENEAULT APPELLANT FOSTER RICHARD ARSENEAULT APPELANT - and - - et - HER MAJESTY THE QUEEN RESPONDENT SA MAJESTÉ LA REINE INTIMÉE Arseneault v. R., 2016 NBCA 47 Arseneault c.
R., 2016 NBCA 47 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Richard The Honourable Justice Green The Honourable Justice French CORAM : l’honorable juge Richard l’honorable juge Green l’honorable juge French Appeal from a decision of the Provincial Court: February 27, 2015 (conviction) March 20, 2015 (sentence) Appel d’une décision de la Cour provinciale : le 27 février 2015 (déclaration de culpabilité) le 20 mars 2015 (détermination de la peine) History of case: Decision under appeal: Unreported Preliminary or incidental proceedings: 2016 NBCA 20 Historique de la cause : Décision frappée d’appel : inédite Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : 2016 NBCA 20 Appeal heard: May 11, 2016 Appel entendu : Le 11 mai 2016
Judgment rendered: September 8, 2016 Reasons for judgment by: The Honourable Justice Richard Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Green The Honourable Justice French Jugement rendu : le 8 septembre 2016 Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge Richard Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Green l’honorable juge French Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: Foster Richard Arseneault appeared in person For the respondent: Kathryn Gregory THE COURT The appeal against conviction and the application for leave to appeal the sentence are dismissed.
Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appelant : Foster Richard Arseneault a comparu en personne Pour l’intimée : Kathryn Gregory LA COUR L’appel de la déclaration de culpabilité et la demande en autorisation d’appel de la peine sont rejetés. The judgment of the Court was delivered by RICHARD J.A. I. Introduction [ 1 ] As evidence upon which to anchor a conviction, uncorroborated eyewitness identification is notoriously unreliable.
Its reliability is even more diminished when the identification is made in the course of viewing a photo lineup in circumstances where the witness had not previously been able to provide a detailed description of the physical features of the subject. This is such a case. The question that arises in this appeal is whether, notwithstanding the well-known shortcomings of this type of evidence, it can nevertheless form the sole basis upon which to ground a conviction. The answer is that sometimes it can. Again, this is such a case. II. Factual background
[ 2 ] The facts of the case are not complex. On May 25, 2014, on the promise of being rewarded with methadone and money, a 25-year-old opiates-addicted university student was lured to help an acquaintance named Chris Chase, whom he understood was a crack cocaine dealer. The student was initially asked to drive Mr. Chase and another individual to a particular rendezvous and then to another location. At this second location, the university student was accused of having stolen drugs from Mr. Chase; confined in his car against his will, under threat of bodily harm; and then robbed, beaten and stabbed.
He suffered grievous injuries. The victim’s wallet was taken and the battery was cut out of his cell phone. He was forced to drive to the financial institution where he held a bank account and required to give Mr. Chase his PIN number. Mr. Chase unsuccessfully tried to obtain money. The victim then drove his two assailants back to the location where he had initially picked them up. Under threat of retaliation if he reported the incident, he was eventually allowed to leave.
The victim made his way to the hospital emergency room, where he immediately underwent surgery for a punctured lung, was treated for blood loss and was hospitalized for three days. From the hospital, the police were called. [ 3 ] While the victim was able to identify Mr. Chase as one of his assailants, he had never before met the other individual – the one who actually stabbed him.
He was unable to give the police much of a description in terms of weight or height, and he could not offer any particular description of the individual’s facial features, because the person had worn a hoodie throughout. [ 4 ] In the course of their investigation, the police had occasion to show the victim three photo lineups. In the first lineup, a photo of a known individual was included, i.e. someone who the police believe was an associate of Mr. Chase. This photo, and nine others who matched the description of the known individual, were shown to the victim.
The victim picked out the known individual, but stated he was about fifty percent certain of the identity of this person as the one who stabbed him. A second photo lineup was shown to the victim the following day using the same process, i.e. 10 photos were sequentially shown. The lineup included an individual the police suspected. The victim did not pick anyone out of this lineup. Approximately three weeks later, the victim was shown a third photo lineup. This one included, as the fourth photo, an image of Foster Arseneault. Mr.
Arseneault was included as a result of information the police had received from a confidential source. When the victim viewed this photo, he immediately reacted, and he positively identified Foster Arseneault as his assailant. In his excitement, the victim did not pay much attention to the photos that were shown to him after the fourth photo. [ 5 ] Foster Arseneault was subsequently charged with the crimes of aggravated assault ( s. 268(1) of the Criminal Code ) and forcible confinement ( s. 279(2) ( a )). He pleaded not guilty. At trial, the only real issue was the identity of the assailant.
The trial judge accepted the testimony of the victim, who was not contradicted. Mr. Arseneault neither testified nor called any evidence. The judge was convinced beyond a reasonable doubt that Mr. Arseneault was the person who was a party to the unlawful confinement and who stabbed the victim. Having found Mr. Arseneault guilty, the judge sentenced him to imprisonment for six years for the aggravated assault and three years concurrent for the forcible confinement of the victim. III. Issues on appeal [ 6 ] Mr. Arseneault appeals the conviction and seeks leave to appeal the sentence.
For the reasons that follow, I would dismiss both the appeal and the application for leave to appeal. [ 7 ] Mr. Arseneault’s grounds of appeal are not clearly enumerated and are interlaced with argument. I decipher three grounds in support of his appeal against conviction and describe them as follows: a. defence counsel did not give effect to Mr. Arseneault’s wish to elect to be tried by a court composed of a judge and jury; b. the trial judge was biased because Mr.
Arseneault had pled guilty to other matters before the same judge the day before his trial commenced; and, c. the verdict was unreasonable because the identity of the assailant was based on eyewitness identification that resulted from a flawed photo lineup of an individual who did not match any significant physical description the victim had previously given of his attacker and was not accompanied by any other type of corroborating evidence. [ 8 ] The first two grounds can be summarily dismissed. For Mr.
Arseneault to pursue the first ground there would need to be an allegation of ineffective assistance of counsel together with an evidentiary basis for the allegation.
There is neither. As for the second ground, trial judges are often required to disregard information made known to them and to whollyignore such information when making determinations based only on the evidence properly before the Court. For example, evidence isoften adduced during a voir dire and excluded from trial. Trial judges are trained to ignore the inadmissible evidence when reaching averdict. Another example is the case of a recidivist who repeatedly appears before the same judge.
Again, trial judges are trained to maketheir decision based on the evidence properly adduced at trial and to wholly disregard any previous knowledge of an accused. In thepresent case, there is no indication of the trial judge having improperly considered anything but the evidence adduced at trial. [9] While the first two grounds can be summarily dismissed, such is not the fate of the thirdground. It is worthy of careful scrutiny, particularly because of the well-known frailties of eyewitness identification. IV. Analysis – appeal against conviction A.
Standard of review [10] There is no shortage of statements in trial and appellate decisions and in academic writingwarning against the frailties of eyewitness identification. The advent of DNA evidence has exonerated many innocent people who hadbeen convicted on the basis of mistaken eyewitness identification. Unfortunately, the acquittals often came about after these innocentpeople had served much time in a penal institution. R. v. Hanemaayer, 2008 ONCA 580, [2008] O.J.
No. 3087 (QL), is an example ofsuch a case. [11] In Hanemaayer, believing he would be convicted solely on the strength of mistaken butconvincing eyewitness identification, an accused lost his nerve and pleaded guilty partway through the trial as part of a plea agreementthat would result in him being sentenced to two years less a day. He did so because he found the eyewitness testimony very convincingand he believed his lawyer was not being successful in convincing the judge otherwise. In the circumstances, Mr.
Hanemaayer agreed toa plea bargain instead of taking a risk, which, if he were found guilty, would have likely resulted in him being sentenced to imprisonmentfor six years or more. Almost seventeen years later, long after Mr. Hanemaayer had been released on parole, the police receivedcompelling evidence establishing that the perpetrator of the crime was in fact the infamous Paul Bernardo, the so-called “Scarboroughrapist”. Mr. Hanemaayer was granted an extension of time to appeal his conviction. He was allowed to withdraw his guilty plea and,almost 20 years after he had been convicted, he was acquitted.
These passages, from the reasons the late Rosenberg J.A. gave on behalfof the Court, are most telling: I wish to make a few comments about the identification evidence in this case. We now know that the homeowner was mistaken. No faultcan be attributed to her. She honestly believed that she had identified the right person. What happened in this case is consistent withmuch of what is known about mistaken identification evidence and, in particular, that honest but mistaken witnesses make convincingwitnesses. Even the appellant, who knew he was innocent, was convinced that the trier of fact would believe her.
The research shows,however, that there is a very weak relationship between the witness’ confidence level and the accuracy of the identification. Theconfidence level of the witness can have a “powerful effect on jurors”: see Manitoba, The Inquiry Regarding Thomas Sophonow: TheInvestigation, Prosecution and Consideration of Entitlement to Compensation (Winnipeg: Manitoba Justice, 2001) at 28; see also R. v.Hibbert (2002), 2002 SCC 39 , 163 C.C.C. (3d) 129 (SCC) at 148. [para. 21] […] As to the witness, as I have said, she honestly believed she had made a correct identification.
That identification was made indifficult circumstances; she was naturally under considerable stress when she encountered the assailant; she only had a brief opportunityto make her observations and she was identifying a stranger. […] [para. 28] However, this case represents an example of how flawed identification procedures can contribute to miscarriages of justice and theimportance of taking great care in conducting those procedures. Mistaken eyewitness identification is the overwhelming factor leading towrongful convictions.
A study in the United States of DNA exonerations shows that mistaken eyewitness identification was a factor inover 80 per cent of the cases: see The Inquiry Regarding Thomas Sophonow at p. 27. [para. 29] [12] If admissibility of evidence is not raised as a ground of appeal, such as in the present case,appeals based on alleged erroneous eyewitness identification generally fall into two categories.
[13] A ground of appeal that falls in the first category challenges the sufficiency of the judge’sinstructions on the principles that govern evidence of eyewitness identification. Insufficient instructions are said to amount to an error oflaw warranting appellate reversal under s. 686(1)(a)(ii) of the Criminal Code. Such a ground of appeal is raised more often after a jurytrial in which the judge’s instructions are alleged not to have sufficiently warned against the frailties of eyewitness identification.
It can,however, also be invoked in a judge alone trial, where the judge’s reasons for decision reveal a similar defect. If successfully invoked,this ground will likely result in a new trial. R. v. Hibbert, 2002 SCC 39, [2002] 2 S.C.R. 445, is an example of an appeal that falls in thefirst category. The present case does not. [14] In the present case, the trial judge made it abundantly clear he was aware of the differencebetween the credibility of a witness, on the one hand, and the reliability of that witness’s testimony, on the other.
Rendering his oraldecision, the judge specifically mentioned being “very much aware of the reliability issues associated with identification evidence”,adding that “research has shown that 81 percent of those wrongfully convicted were convicted as a result of mistaken identification” andreferring to the results of Sophonow Inquiry (Cory, Peter deCarteret. The Inquiry Regarding Thomas Sophonow: The Investigation,Prosecution and Consideration of Entitlement to Compensation. Winnipeg: Manitoba Justice, 2001). Moreover, the judge looked at allthe frailties of the victim’s identification of Mr. Arseneault.
In particular, the judge noted: the victim did not know his assailant; theattacker had been wearing a hoodie; it was dark; the assailant had been sitting in the back seat; the victim provided no evidence of theheight and weight of his attacker; no evidence corroborates the victim’s identification of Mr. Arseneault as his attacker. Despite thesefrailties, and after again acknowledging that “credibility and reliability are two different things”, the judge was satisfied beyond anyreasonable doubt the prosecution had proven Mr. Arseneault was the one who attacked and stabbed the victim on May 25, 2014.
There isno error of law in this approach. [15] The second category of challenges to a conviction on grounds involving eyewitnessidentification challenges the verdict itself and not the instructions that led to it. A ground of appeal that falls in this category alleges theverdict is unreasonable and that appellate reversal is justified under s. 686(1)(a)(i). Successfully invoking this ground leads to anacquittal.
The third ground of appeal as formulated above falls in that category. [16] Making a determination on the reasonableness of a verdict in disposing of an appeal under s.686(1)(a)(i), “requires the appeal court to determine what verdict a reasonable jury, properly instructed, could judicially have arrived at,and, in doing so, to review, analyse and, within the limits of appellate disadvantage, weigh the evidence”: R. v. Biniaris, 2000 SCC 15,[2000] 1 S.C.R. 381, at para. 36, referring to the test set out in R. v. Yebes, (SCC), [1987] 2 S.C.R. 168, [1987] S.C.J.No. 51 (QL).
While this test is expressed in terms of a jury verdict, it also applies to the judgment of a single trial judge: The Yebes test is expressed in terms of a verdict reached by a jury. It is, however, equally applicable to the judgment of a judge sitting attrial without a jury. The review for unreasonableness on appeal is different, however, and somewhat easier when the judgment underattack is that of a single judge, at least when reasons for judgment of some substance are provided.
In those cases, the reviewingappellate court may be able to identify a flaw in the evaluation of the evidence, or in the analysis, that will serve to explain theunreasonable conclusion reached, and justify the reversal. For example, in R. v. Burke, (SCC), [1996] 1 S.C.R. 474, thisCourt was in a position to identify the deficiencies in the trial judge’s analysis of the evidence which led to her unreasonable conclusionsin respect of the three counts of indecent assault facing the accused.
In that case, Sopinka J. found that the trial judge had ignored thepossibility of collusion or corroboration between witnesses before accepting their “strikingly similar” evidence, had not been alive tocircumstances (i.e., the absence of physical traces of an alleged indecent assault which, if true, should have left observable marks) whichcaused great concern about the reliability of evidence adduced in support of allegations of a bizarre nature, and had relied uncritically onunorthodox identification evidence. Similarly, in R. v.
Reitsma, (SCC), [1998] 1 S.C.R. 769, rev'g (1997), (BC CA), 97 B.C.A.C. 303, this Court agreed with Rowles J.A., dissenting, that the trial judge had failed to advert to deficienciesin the pre-trial identification procedure and the shortcoming of “in-dock” identification. Finally, in R. v. O'Connor (1998), (BC CA), 123 C.C.C. (3d) 487 (B.C.C.A.), at pp. 492-93 and 518-20, the trial judge accepted the accused's evidence that he wasnot present at the place where the offence was alleged to have been committed, and yet convicted the accused.
This logical inconsistencywas relied upon by the Court of Appeal to explain the unreasonableness of the verdict.
These examples demonstrate that in trials by judgealone, the court of appeal often can and should identify the defects in the analysis that led the trier of fact to an unreasonable conclusion.The court of appeal will therefore be justified to intervene and set aside a verdict as unreasonable when the reasons of the trial judgereveal that he or she was not alive to an applicable legal principle, or entered a verdict inconsistent with the factual conclusions reached.These discernable defects are themselves sometimes akin to a separate error of law, and therefore easily sustain the conclusion that theunreasonable verdict which rests upon them also raises a question of law. [para. 37] [17] In R. v.
Tat, (ON CA), [1997] O.J. No. 3579 (C.A.) (QL) Doherty J.A.pointed out that, although a review under s. 686(1)(a)(
i) has its limits, it is nevertheless one that is “particularly well suited to review”convictions based on eyewitness identification evidence. He adds: […] This is so because of the well recognized potential for injustice in such cases and the suitability of the appellate review process tocases which turn primarily on the reliability of eyewitness evidence and not the credibility of the eyewitness: e.g. see R. v. Miaponoose,
[ (ON CA), [1996] O.J. No. 3216 (C.A.) (Q.L.)]; R. v. Biddle (1993), (ON CA), 84 C.C.C. (3d) 430(Ont. C.A.) at 434-5, rev. on other grounds (1995), (SCC), 96 C.C.C. (3d) 321 (S.C.C.); R. v. Quercia (1990), (ON CA), 60 C.C.C. (3d) 380 (Ont. C.A.).
The extensive case law arising out of the review of convictions based on eyewitness identification reveals that the concerns about thereasonableness of such verdicts are particularly high where the person identified is a stranger to the witness, the circumstances of theidentification are not conducive to an accurate identification, pre-trial identification processes are flawed and where there is no otherevidence tending to confirm or support the identification evidence.
All four factors exist here. [paras. 99-100] [18] Some of these factors exist here as well. [19] More recently, the Supreme Court had occasion to discuss the principles of eyewitnessidentification evidence. In R. v. Hay, 2013 SCC 61, [2013] 3 S.C.R. 694, Rothstein J., for a majority of six, summarized these as follows: The credibility and weight that should be given to eyewitness testimony is an issue committed to the ultimate trier of fact – here, thejury; R. v. Mezzo, (SCC), [1986] 1 S.C.R. 802, at pp. 844-45.
It is well established that where the Crown relies on aneyewitness identification, the trial judge has a duty to caution the jury regarding the well-recognized frailties of identification evidence;see Mezzo, at p. 845, citing R. v. Turnbull, [1976] 3 All E.R. 549 (C.A.); R. v. Hibbert, 2002 SCC 39, [2002] 2 S.C.R. 445, at paras. 78-79 (per Bastarache J., dissenting, although not on this point); R. v. Canning, (SCC), [1986] 1 S.C.R. 991.
However, aproperly instructed jury may conclude, notwithstanding the frailties of eyewitness identification, that the eyewitness’ testimony isreliable and may enter a conviction on those grounds. This may be so even where the Crown has relied on only a single eyewitness; seeMezzo, at p. 844; R. v. Nikolovski, (SCC), [1996] 3 S.C.R. 1197, at para. 23.
Although the duty to assess the credibility and weight of an eyewitness’ evidence sits with the jury and, in some circumstances, thetestimony of one eyewitness will support a conviction, the jury should not be permitted to convict on the basis of eyewitness testimonythat could not support an inference of guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. In other words, a jury should not be instructed that it may convictbased on eyewitness testimony alone where that testimony, even if believed, would necessarily leave reasonable doubt in the mind of areasonable juror; R. v.
Arcuri, 2001 SCC 54, [2001] 2 S.C.R. 828, at paras. 21-25; R. v. Reitsma, (SCC), [1998] 1S.C.R. 769, rev’g (1997), (BC CA), 97 B.C.A.C. 303; R. v. Zurowski, 2004 SCC 72, [2004] 3 S.C.R. 509; UnitedStates of America v. Shephard, (SCC), [1977] 2 S.C.R. 1067, at p. 1080.
Indeed, where the Crown’s case consists solelyof eyewitness testimony that would necessarily leave reasonable doubt in the mind of a reasonable juror, the trial judge must direct anacquittal upon a motion for directed verdict (Arcuri, at para. 21). [paras. 40-41] [Emphasis added.] [20] In that case, the majority concluded it would have been unreasonable for the jury to convictbased solely on the eyewitness testimony.
In large measure this was because, when seeing the photo of the accused, the eyewitness hadstated: “Out of all these pictures this gentleman most fits the description of the gentlemen I saw shooting” and that on “a percentagescale, I would probably say maybe 80 percent” (para. 18). In the final analysis, however, the majority found the judge had not made anyerror in instructing the jury regarding the eyewitness’ testimony, although a new trial was ordered on other grounds.
In concurringreasons, Fish J. disagreed with his colleagues on the question of whether the judge’s charge had left it open to the jury to convict solelyon the eyewitness’ testimony. He interpreted the charge as having instructed the jury such a course of action was open to them, a coursewhich, he concludes, would have led to an unreasonable verdict. Although there was some confirmatory evidence, it was impossible toknow whether the jury had considered it in arriving at its verdict.
Thus, Fish J. would have ordered a new trial on that basis, as well asfor those reasons of the majority. [21] To summarize, the review permitted under s. 686(1)(a)(
i) in judge alone cases, where reasonsfor judgment of some substance have been provided on the reliability of eyewitness identification, consists of the following: (1)reviewing the record, analyzing the reasons and, within the limits of appellate disadvantage, weighing the evidence in order to determinewhether there are any discernable defects in the trial judge’s analysis that, but for this, would have made conviction beyond a reasonabledoubt impossible; and (2) determining whether, even in the absence of any defect, conviction beyond a reasonable doubt was not apossible outcome of the case.
In either scenario, it would follow that the verdict was unreasonable and the appeal would have to beallowed.
[ 22 ] In undertaking the review for defects, I will consider the four factors Doherty J.A. identified in Tat (para. 100 ): • Whether the person identified was a stranger; • The circumstances surrounding the identification; • The pre-trial identification process; and • The existence of other evidence tending to confirm the identification. [ 23 ] Within each of these headings, I will have regard to certain sub-factors, identified in a number of other cases, which are conveniently listed in S. Casey Hill, David M. Tanovich & Louis P.
Strezos, McWilliams’ Canadian Criminal Evidence , (WestlawNext Canada, Thomson Reuters, 2016) (online), at 32:100.50: • Whether a distinguishing feature was absent from the identification; • Whether the opportunity to observe was a fleeting glimpse; • Was the setting in the darkness of night or in well-illuminated conditions or in circumstances of stress; • The use of a show-up and suggestion that the suspect is in custody; • Whether the description was detailed or generic in nature; • Inconsistency with descriptions provided by other witnesses; • Intervening events that may contaminate the witnesses’ identification, such as collusion; • The fairness of the lineup array in its construction; • The use of a photo array rather than a sequential showing is preferable as it tends to negate comparison bias; • Whether the case involved cross-racial identification; • Whether the identifying witness consumed alcohol or was under the influence of a drug; • In dock identification is to be given negligible, if any weight; • The extent to which the instructions followed the recommendations of the Sophonow Inquiry;
• Whether the case was tried with a jury or judge alone. B. Reviewing the record, analyzing the reasons and weighing the evidence [ 24 ] In undertaking this analysis, I accept the factual findings of the trial judge unless palpably wrong. I also accept his credibility findings regarding the victim. I do so because of the trial judge’s marked advantage having himself seen and heard the witness testify. I accept the credibility findings notwithstanding the fact that, in cross-examination, the victim clearly denied having earlier that same day seen photographs he was shown during his direct examination.
Specifically, the victim testified as follows in cross-examination: Q. And, maybe I’ll just save the time of doing that. When was the last time you saw this document, these photos? A. A few seconds ago. Q. I mean before you got on the witness stand. A. I’m not sure of the exact date but I believe it must have been in June. Q. You didn’t see them today other than just now ? A.
No . [Emphasis added.] [ 25 ] As expected from an ethical prosecutor, Crown counsel, knowing this testimony was not accurate, reexamined the witness and asked him whether he recalled the prosecutor having shown him certain photographs “before court today”. The witness answered he did and corrected his earlier testimony, saying he had thought the question related to a previous instance other than that very day.
In particular, he said: “I had just – I didn’t – I didn’t fully understand the question to mean seeing the pictures today”. [ 26 ] In his reasons for decision, the trial judge stated he found the victim to be “extremely credible”. As to the victim’s change of testimony, the judge said this: Now defense counsel doing his job made an issue over the victim’s apparent misleading testimony relating to the viewing of a photo lineup number three prior to testifying. [At] the Crown’s request the victim had viewed photo 6 through 10 […] in line up number three a few minutes before he testified.
And it seemed in response to a question from defense counsel that he had denied doing that. And defense counsel argued that [the victim’s] credibility had been compromised because of the answer he gave on cross-examination. Wherein he appeared to deny he had looked at those photos a short time before he testified.
Now I’ve given this […] a lot of consideration […] and I’m satisfied that rather than any attempt to mislead the Court his response to defense counsel’s question was simply based on a misunderstanding of the question and not an attempt to mislead the Court. [ 27 ] This conclusion is one that was open to the judge, who had the benefit of having seen and heard the witness. It must therefore be given deference. As a result, the analysis that follows focuses exclusively on the reliability of the eyewitness identification and not on the credibility of the victim.
(1) Relationship with the person identified
[ 28 ] The victim testified he knew Mr. Chase, but did not know the other individual – the one who stabbed him. As a result, his identification of this individual would be based solely on his encounter with him on the night in question. In the aftermath of the unlawful confinement and stabbing, the victim was unable to give any kind of description of the individual who stabbed him. He did tell the police he would be able to recognize the person’s face and that, because the person was wearing a hood, he was only able to say he thought he might have dark or black hair.
At trial, the victim stated: “I could picture his face in my mind but I don’t really know how to describe him. It was dark, he had a hood up”. [ 29 ] The trial judge considered this factor. He observed: “ [T]he victim… in this case was unable to provide the name of his attacker to the police. The evidence seems clear that prior to this night, the night that he was stabbed, the victim to his knowledge had never met this person”. [ 30 ] It follows that, where an eyewitness has no previous knowledge of the identity of a suspect, the circumstances surrounding the encounter take on much more meaning.
It is one thing to see someone and immediately recognize that person as one you know, and quite another to see a total stranger and several days later pick that stranger out of a photo lineup.
(2) Circumstances of the encounter [ 31 ] The circumstances surrounding the victim’s encounter with his assailant feature elements that add support to his subsequent ability to recognize his assailant as well as some that weaken that ability. The duration of the encounter as well as the proximity support to the victim’s subsequent ability to recognize his assailant. This was not a situation of a fleeting glimpse at someone, but neither was it an encounter that took place in well-illuminated conditions. The victim testified he spent approximately an hour in the company of his assailants.
Except for a very brief period when the individual who stabbed him got out of the car to see if the person they were to meet had arrived, that assailant was in the back seat of the victim’s small car for the duration of the encounter. That assailant occupied the seat behind the passenger seat, which would have enabled the victim, from the driver’s seat, to get a better look at him than if he had occupied the seat behind the driver’s seat. At one point, when Mr. Chase was out of the vehicle attempting to obtain funds from the victim’s bank account, the victim and that assailant engaged in conversation.
During part of that encounter, the assailant moved toward the centre of the back seat, and therefore would have been in very close proximity to the victim. [ 32 ] On the other hand, there were circumstances that impaired the victim’s ability to identify the person who stabbed him. The victim admits it was dark and that the person was wearing a hood with just his face exposed. During part of the encounter, the victim was driving, so he would not have been looking at the one who occupied the back seat.
Part of the encounter occurred in conditions of extreme stress for the victim, i.e. the part after the victim was accused of having stolen drugs from Mr. Chase, threatened, beaten and stabbed. However, prior to being stabbed, the victim had already had ample opportunity to observe the facial features of the individual who had been introduced to him that night. [ 33 ] The trial judge considered all these factors: The attacker was wearing a hoodie with just his face exposed to the victim. It was dark somewhere between 8 and 10 p.m. on the date in question.
And the […] assailant was sitting in the back seat of the [victim’s] car on the passenger’s side. The victim was driving and I hasten to add that the picture of this car shows this to be a mini – mini type of vehicle. […] Aspects of the Crown’s case that I’ve added to the reliability of the victim’s identification evidence are as follows. The length of time that they were together in the car [was] almost two hours and this was a [very] small car. They were almost face to face so to speak […] and at times the [accused’s] face would have been [no] further than inches away from [the victim’s] face.
There was a time while this person Chase went into the bank on two occasions where it was just the victim […] and the accused in the car. The evidence indicates that they were engaged [in] […] in what can only be described as a very personal conversation. Relating to [the victim’s] denial of stealing Chase’s drugs and the accused seeming acceptance of his explanation. [ 34 ] Mr. Arseneault submits the trial judge made a factual error concerning the duration of the victim’s encounter with his assailants. I agree; he did.
The trial judge stated: “The length of time they were together in the car [was] almost two hours …”, and later added, “So he spent close to two hours with this man at very close quarters”. This is palpably wrong. The
evidence unequivocally discloses the victim met up with Mr. Chase and his friend “close to nine o’clock” and was allowed to leave “closer to ten o’clock”. Nevertheless, while the judge’s error is palpable, his determination on point had no overriding effect on his conclusion. The point the judge was making is that this was not a situation of a fleeting glimpse, but rather one where there was ample time to make observations of the facial features of his assailant. That point remains valid even if the duration was limited to one hour.
(3) The pre-trial identification process [ 35 ] In the aftermath of this crime, the police interviewed the victim. While the statements the victim made were not introduced in evidence, it was made clear that he was not able to provide the police with a physical description of the person who stabbed him, although he stated he would be able to recognize that person’s face. The victim did not report having observed his assailant to have a shaved head and some missing upper teeth. In fact, Mr. Arseneault had both these characteristics.
The absence of a detailed description and the failure to note what were undoubtedly distinguishing features weaken the reliability of the eyewitness identification. Nevertheless, the failure to note the condition of his assailant’s head is understandable since his head was covered. As for the missing teeth and the inability to provide a physical description, this was the subject of cross-examination: Q. Okay. Do you remember if he had teeth? A. I mean, I don’t specifically recall. Q. But he was talking to you, right, and you were looking at him. A. I think he must have had teeth, yes. Q. Okay.
Your Honour, I’d ask you to take judicial notice of the fact that my client has no teeth. Would you please smile for him? THE COURT: Well, I saw a whole bunch of teeth. A. I see teeth. Q. Front teeth. That – THE COURT: Oh, okay. Q. Front teeth. Sorry, Your Honour. THE COURT: I saw a whole bunch of front teeth. Q. Okay, will you smile again, Foster? THE COURT: Yeah, I see two or teeth missing on the upper level but full lower level front teeth. Q. I put to you that that’s something that most people would remember, wouldn’t it be?
A. Not in that situation I wouldn’t say. Q. Not in that situation. So, you didn’t get a great look at him then? A. I got a very good look at him. Q. But you didn’t recognize the fact that he didn’t have teeth or hair. A. I don’t think I was looking at his teeth. Q. But you were talking to him. I mean – A. He was talking to me. Q. What were you looking at if you weren’t looking at his face? A. When you remember someone’s face it’s easily – you can easily remember it in your mind and when you see a picture of that person you can tell right away. Q. And – and what are you basing this on?
Do you have some kind of expertise in that area? A. No, I do not. Q. Okay. So, tell me again, please, what distinguishing features about the person that stabbed you and the person you identified in the photos, I mean, matched? I mean, what was there? A. I just remembered what his face looked like. Someone doesn’t have to have distinguishing features. [ 36 ] The trial judge considered this evidence. He stated as follows: I have taken into consideration [the victim’s] inability to put into words a physical description of his attacker.
In most cases this might cast doubt on the identification of the accused as his […] attacker. But in this case it’s understandable because of his location in the car. Mr. Arseneault’s face would really be the only thing to focus on. The fact that [the victim] did not notice that Mr. Arseneault was missing a couple of upper front teeth while [the] incidents in the car were taking place does not cause me any major concern.
And it’s doubtful in my mind that there would have been any smiling or anything of that nature going on that night in any event. […] The Court as well throughout the trial made its own observations of the [accused’s] face and general appearance. I found nothing striking about his facial appearance. I did not notice any obvious scars and unusual eyes, or ears, or nose, or mouth. And I only noticed his missing teeth when defense counsel asked him [to] display his missing teeth. The top of his head was covered by a hoodie.
The fact that the victim thought at one point he might have had dark hair likewise causes me little concern given the lighting in the car and the time of
night. [I’m] drawn to the comments as made [by the victim] when he was questioned on cross-examination on this issue by defense counsel. And his comment [that stands] out for me was that he said, “I got a really good look at his face. [ 37 ] Notwithstanding the absence of any description, the police showed the victim three photo lineups. In the first, they included an individual whose name the victim had given them as an associate of Mr. Chase. The victim picked out that individual and said there was a fifty percent chance it was him. In a second lineup, no one was picked out. In the third lineup, a photo of Mr.
Arseneault was included, and upon seeing it, the victim immediately and with clear conviction identified him as the person who had stabbed him. [ 38 ] Evidently, the police were aware of the need to follow clear guidelines in showing photo lineups to a witness. In each case, the police followed a process the judge found was consistent with the recommendations made in the Sophonow Inquiry report. The judge looked for irregularities in the conduct of this process. He found that one photo in the third photo lineup showed an individual wearing a shirt and tie, whereas the others did not.
He also found that after the victim identified Mr. Arseneault as his assailant, he did not pay much attention to some of the subsequent photos shown to him in sequential order and in fact did not even bother to look at one of them. At trial, the victim was asked to look at each of the subsequent photos and testified none of them were the image of the one who had stabbed him. The judge also considered that the photo of Mr.
Arseneault used in this case dated back to 2013, but was not concerned with this fact because, as the judge pointed out he “was unable to detect any noticeable change in the [accused’s] physical appearance”. Neither was I.
(4) Confirmatory evidence [ 39 ] There was no confirmatory evidence. The trial judge also noted this, stating, “I have cautioned myself about the weaknesses inherent in eyewitness identification evidence. Especially, when there is no corroborating evidence to support as in this case”. The judge adds: “But the lack of corroborative evidence is not a bar to a finding of guilt based on eyewitness identification”. C. Was conviction beyond a reasonable doubt possible? [ 40 ] The review undertaken above was conducted to determine whether any discernable defects in the trial judge’s analysis that, but for these, would make it such that it was impossible to convict beyond a reasonable doubt. In
summary, the review revealed the judge considered both the strengths and the weaknesses of the circumstances surrounding the victim’s opportunity to be able to identify the person who stabbed him. I found no defect in the judge’s analysis. The review also revealed the trial judge considered some irregularities in the pre-trial identification procedure, but did not attach much weight to these. Again, I find nothing defective in that analysis. My review spotted a palpable error regarding the time the victim spent in the company of his assailant.
However, I do not consider this error to be an overriding feature of the ultimate decision because the victim nevertheless had ample opportunity to memorize the facial features of the person who stabbed him. [ 41 ] In Hay , the Supreme Court clearly confirms that “notwithstanding the frailties of eyewitness identification, [a properly instructed jury may conclude] that the eyewitness’ testimony is reliable and may enter a conviction on those grounds”, adding that “[t]his may be so even where the Crown has relied on only a single eyewitness” (para. 40).
It is only when the eyewitness testimony “could not support an inference of guilt beyond a reasonable doubt”, in that the “testimony, even if believed, would necessarily leave reasonable doubt in the mind of a reasonable [trier of fact]” that the jury, or, as in this case, the judge, must be cautioned that it cannot convict based on eyewitness testimony alone (para. 41). [ 42 ] Once the victim’s testimony was found to be credible, the entire analysis shifted to the reliability of the identification made as a result of his observations.
The review conducted above reveals the victim had ample opportunity to note the facial features of the person who stabbed him, having spent approximately an hour with him in the close confines of a small car. The circumstances of darkness, their respective places in the car, and the hoodie worn by the assailant were accepted as explaining the absence of a detailed description but did not necessarily detract from the victim’s ability to recognize the face of his assailant.
There is nothing in those circumstances that would necessarily leave one with a reasonable doubt if one accepts the emphatic insistence of the victim that the person depicted in the photo he picked out is his assailant. This is not a case of eighty percent certainty, as well as other significant factors raising doubt, as in Hay ; it is the case of a victim stating he is absolutely certain.
There is nothing in the victim’s testimony that inherently raises a reasonable doubt. [ 43 ] The trial judge repeatedly cautioned himself against the frailties of eyewitness identification and he considered all the strengths and weaknesses of this particular identification, including: the fact the witness and his assailant had been
strangers before the night in question; the circumstances of their encounter; the circumstances surrounding identification by a photo lineup; and, the absence of confirmatory evidence. After cautioning himself again about the “weaknesses inherent in eyewitness identification evidence” and weighing all these factors listed above, the judge was nevertheless satisfied beyond a reasonable doubt the person identified in the photo lineup, i.e. Mr. Arseneault, was the person who stabbed the victim on the night in question. I am unable to say that this was not a verdict that was open to him in the circumstances.
Thus, applying the governing standard of review, the appeal necessarily has to be dismissed. V. Application for leave to appeal the sentence [ 44 ] Alternatively, Mr. Arseneault seeks leave to appeal the sentence of six years’ imprisonment. Considering the seriousness of this offence coupled with Mr. Arseneault’s extensive criminal record, there is no possibility of success if leave were granted. As a result, I would dismiss his application. VI. Disposition [ 45 ] For these reasons, I would dismiss both the appeal against conviction and the application for leave to appeal the sentence.
Version française de la décision rendue par LE JUGE RICHARD I. Introduction [1] Comme élément de preuve sur lequel fonder une déclaration de culpabilité, l’identification par témoin oculaire non corroborée manque notoirement de fiabilité. Sa fiabilité est encore davantage diminuée lorsque l’identification a lieu pendant une séance d’identification photographique alors que le témoin n’avait pas été, jusque-là, en mesure de donner une description détaillée des traits physiques du sujet. C’est ce qui s’est passé en l’espèce.
La question qui se pose dans le présent appel est celle de savoir si, malgré les lacunes bien connues de ce genre de preuve, elle peut néanmoins constituer l’unique élément sur lequel fonder une déclaration de culpabilité. La réponse est qu’elle le peut parfois, et en l’espèce, elle le peut. II. Contexte factuel [2] Les faits de l’affaire ne sont pas complexes.
Le 25 mai 2014, après qu’on lui eut promis de le récompenser en lui donnant de la méthadone et de l’argent, un étudiant universitaire opiomane âgé de 25 ans a été incité à aider une connaissance du nom de Chris Chase, qui, selon ce qu’il savait, était un trafiquant de crack. On avait tout d’abord demandé à l’étudiant d’emmener M. Chase et une autre personne en voiture à un rendez-vous précis puis à un autre endroit. À ce deuxième endroit, l’étudiant universitaire a été accusé d’avoir volé de la drogue à M.
Chase, a été retenu dans sa voiture contre son gré, sous la menace de voies de fait, et a ensuite été volé, battu et poignardé. Il a subi de graves blessures. On a pris son portefeuille à la victime et on a enlevé la pile de son cellulaire. On l’a contrainte à conduire la voiture jusqu’à l’institution financière où elle avait un compte bancaire et obligée à donner son NIP à M. Chase. M. Chase a en vain essayé d’obtenir de l’argent. La victime a ensuite ramené ses deux agresseurs à l’endroit où elle était initialement passée les prendre.
Après l’avoir menacée de représailles pour le cas où elle signalerait l’incident, on l’a finalement laissée partir. La victime s’est rendue jusqu’aux urgences de l’hôpital où elle a immédiatement subi une intervention chirurgicale pour une perforation au poumon, a été soignée pour perte sanguine et a été hospitalisée pendant trois jours. Quelqu’un, depuis l’hôpital, a appelé la police.
[3] Bien que la victime ait pu identifier M. Chase comme étant l’un de ses agresseurs, elle n’avait jamais auparavant rencontré l’autre personne – celle qui l’avait effectivement poignardée. Elle n’a pas pu préciser à la police le poids et la taille de la personne en question et elle n’a pas été en mesure de donner une description quelconque des traits faciaux de cette personne parce que celle-ci avait porté un chandail à capuchon pendant toute la période pertinente. [4] Au cours de leur enquête, les policiers ont eu l’occasion de tenir trois séances d’identification photographique avec la victime.
Lors de la première séance, les policiers avaient inclus la photo d’une personne connue, c’est-à-dire quelqu’un qu’ils croyaient être un associé de M. Chase. Cette photo et les photos de neuf autres personnes dont la description correspondait à celle de la personne connue ont été montrées à la victime. La victime a désigné la personne connue, mais a dit qu’elle était certaine à environ cinquante pour cent que cette personne était bien celle qui l’avait poignardée.
On tenu une deuxième séance d’identification photographique avec la victime le lendemain en utilisant la même méthode, c’est-à-dire qu’on lui a présenté dix photos de façon séquentielle. Parmi les photos figurait celle d’une personne que les policiers soupçonnaient. La victime n’a désigné personne lors de cette séance d’identification. Environ trois semaines plus tard, on a tenu une troisième séance d’identification photographique avec la victime. Lors de cette séance, la quatrième photo était celle de Foster Arseneault. La photo de M.
Arseneault avait été incluse par suite d’un renseignement que la police avait obtenu d’une source confidentielle. Lorsque la victime a vu cette photo, sa réaction a été immédiate et elle a formellement identifié Foster Arseneault comme étant son agresseur. En proie à une vive émotion, la victime n’a pas porté une grande attention aux photos qui lui ont été montrées après la quatrième photo. [5] Foster Arseneault a subséquemment été accusé de voies de fait graves ( par. 268(1) du Code criminel ) et de séquestration ( al. 279(2) a)). Il a plaidé non coupable.
Au procès, la seule véritable question à trancher était celle de l’identité de l’assaillant. Le juge du procès a accepté le témoignage de la victime, laquelle n’a pas été contredite. M. Arseneault n’a ni témoigné ni appelé qui que ce soit à témoigner. Le juge était convaincu hors de tout doute raisonnable que M. Arseneault était la personne qui avait été
partie à la séquestration et qui avait poignardé la victime. Après avoir déclaré M. Arseneault coupable, le juge lui a infligé une peine d’emprisonnement de six ans pour les voies de fait graves et une peine d’emprisonnement de trois ans, à purger de façon concurrente, pour la séquestration de la victime. III. Questions soulevées en appel [6] M. Arseneault appelle de la déclaration de culpabilité et demande l’autorisation d’appeler de la peine. Pour les motifs qui suivent, je suis d’avis de rejeter à la fois l’appel et la demande en autorisation d’appel. [7] Les moyens d’appel de M.
Arseneault ne sont pas clairement énoncés et ils sont imbriqués dans l’argumentation. Je décode trois moyens, que je formule ainsi, à l’appui de son appel de la déclaration de culpabilité : a. L’avocat de la défense n’a pas donné suite au souhait de M. Arseneault de choisir d’être jugé par un tribunal composé d’un juge et d’un jury; b. Le juge du procès n’a pas été impartial parce que M. Arseneault avait plaidé coupable à d’autres infractions devant le même juge la veille du début de son procès; c.
Le verdict était déraisonnable parce que l’identité de l’agresseur a été établie au moyen d’une identification par témoin oculaire qui a résulté d’une séance d’identification photographique viciée au cours de laquelle a été montrée la photo d’une personne dont les traits ne correspondaient à aucun égard important à la description que la victime avait auparavant donnée de son attaquant et cette identification ne s’est accompagnée d’aucun autre genre de preuve corroborante. [8] Les deux premiers moyens peuvent être rejetés
sommairement. Pour que M. Arseneault fasse instruire le premier moyen, il faudrait qu’il y ait une allégation d’assistance inefficace de l’avocat, allégation qu’étayeraient certains éléments de preuve. Or, il n’y a ni allégation ni élément de preuve. En ce qui concerne le deuxième moyen, il arrive souvent que le juge du procès soit obligé de faire abstraction de certains renseignements portés à sa connaissance et de n’en tenir aucun compte au moment de prendre une décision fondée seulement sur la preuve dont la Cour a été régulièrement saisie.
Par exemple, il arrive souvent que des éléments de preuve soient produits lors d’un voir-dire et écartés du procès. Les juges de procès ont la formation voulue pour faire abstraction de la preuve qui n’est pas admissible lorsqu’il s’agit d’en arriver à un verdict. Le cas du récidiviste qui comparaît à maintes reprises devant le même juge constitue un autre exemple. Là encore, les juges de procès ont la formation voulue pour prendre leur décision en s’appuyant sur la preuve régulièrement produite au procès et pour ne tenir aucun compte de ce qu’ils peuvent déjà savoir de l’accusé.
En l’espèce, rien ne donne à penser que le juge du procès aurait, à tort, pris en considération quoi que ce soit d’autre que la preuve produite au procès.
[9] Si les deux premiers moyens peuvent faire l’objet d’un rejet
sommaire, tel n’est pas le cas du troisième. Il mérite un examen attentif en raison, tout particulièrement, des faiblesses bien connues de l’identification par témoin oculaire. IV. Analyse – l’appel de la déclaration de culpabilité A. Norme de contrôle [10] Il ne manque pas, dans les décisions rendues en première instance et en appel ainsi que dans la doctrine, de mises en garde contre les faiblesses de l’identification par témoin oculaire.
L’arrivée de la preuve génétique a permis d’exonérer de nombreuses personnes innocentes qui avaient été condamnées sur la foi d’une identification erronée par un témoin oculaire. Malheureusement, les acquittements arrivaient souvent après que ces personnes innocentes avaient passé beaucoup de temps dans un établissement carcéral. L’affaire R. c. Hanemaayer , 2008 ONCA 580 , [2008] O.J.
No. 3087 (QL) , est un exemple d’une situation de ce genre. [11] Dans l’affaire Hanemaayer , convaincu qu’il serait déclaré coupable sur la seule foi d’une identification par témoin oculaire erronée mais convaincante, l’accusé avait perdu courage et plaidé coupable à mi-chemin du procès dans le cadre d’une transaction pénale à l’issue de laquelle il devait être condamné à deux ans moins un jour. Il a plaidé coupable parce qu’il avait trouvé la déposition de la témoin oculaire très convaincante et qu’il croyait que son avocat ne réussissait pas à convaincre le juge que la témoin faisait erreur.
Vu les circonstances, M. Hanemaayer a consenti à une transaction pénale plutôt que de courir le risque, pour le cas où il serait déclaré coupable, d’être condamné à un emprisonnement de six ans ou plus. Presque dix-sept ans plus tard, longtemps après que M. Hanemaayer eut été mis en liberté conditionnelle, la police a reçu une preuve solide établissant que l’auteur du crime était en fait le tristement célèbre Paul Bernardo, celui qu’on a appelé le [TRADUCTION] « violeur de Scarborough ». On a accordé à M. Hanemaayer une prolongation du délai imparti pour interjeter appel de sa déclaration de culpabilité.
On l’a autorisé à retirer son plaidoyer de culpabilité et, presque vingt ans après avoir été déclaré coupable, il a été acquitté. Les passages suivants, tirés des motifs que feu le juge d’appel Rosenberg a rendus au nom de la Cour, sont des plus éloquents : [TRADUCTION] J’aimerais faire quelques observations à propos de la preuve d’identification en l’espèce. Nous savons maintenant que la propriétaire de la maison a fait erreur. On ne saurait lui imputer une faute quelconque. Elle croyait sincèrement qu’elle avait identifié la bonne personne.
Ce qui s’est passé en l’espèce est conforme, en grande partie, à ce que nous savons à propos de la preuve d’identification erronée et, en particulier, le fait que des témoins sincères mais qui se trompent font des témoins convaincants. Même l’appelant, qui savait qu’il était innocent, était convaincu que le juge des faits la croirait. La recherche montre, toutefois, qu’il n’y a qu’un lien très ténu entre le niveau de confiance du témoin et l’exactitude de l’identification.
Le niveau de confiance du témoin peut avoir un [TRADUCTION] « effet puissant sur les jurés » : voir Manitoba, The Inquiry Regarding Thomas Sophonow: The Investigation, Prosecution and Consideration of Entitlement to Compensation (Winnipeg : Ministère de la Justice, 2001), à la p. 28; voir aussi l’arrêt R. c. Hibbert , 2002 CSC 39 ; (2002), 163 C.C.C. (3d) 129, à la p. 148 (C.S.C.). [par. 21] […] En ce qui concerne la témoin, comme je l’ai dit, elle croyait sincèrement avoir identifié la bonne personne.
Cette identification a eu lieu dans des circonstances difficiles; elle était bien entendu dans un état de stress considérable lorsqu’elle s’était trouvée face à l’agresseur; elle n’avait eu qu’une courte période pour faire ses observations et elle se trouvait à identifier un étranger. […] [par. 28] Toutefois, la présente affaire constitue un exemple de la façon dont une procédure d’identification défectueuse peut contribuer à une erreur judiciaire et montre qu’il importe de faire preuve d’une grande prudence dans la conduite de cette procédure.
L’identification par témoin oculaire erronée est le principal facteur qui donne lieu à des condamnations injustifiées. Une étude menée aux États-Unis sur les exonérations par suite d’une preuve génétique montre qu’une identification par témoin oculaire erronée a joué un rôle dans plus de quatre-vingts pour cent des cas : voir The Inquiry Regarding Thomas Sophonow , à la p. 27. [par. 29] [12] Si l’admissibilité d’un élément de preuve n’est pas soulevée comme moyen d’appel, comme c’est le cas en l’espèce, les appels fondés sur une prétendue identification par témoin oculaire erronée relèvent généralement de deux
catégories. [13] Un moyen d’appel qui relève de la première catégorie conteste la suffisance des directives dujuge sur les principes qui régissent la preuve d’identification par témoin oculaire. Des directives insuffisantes sont tenues pour constituerune erreur de droit justifiant l’infirmation en appel au
titre du ss-al. 686(1)a)(ii) du Code criminel. Un moyen d’appel de cette nature estsoulevé plus souvent après un procès devant jury au cours duquel les directives du juge n’auraient pas, prétend-on, suffisamment mis lesjurés en garde contre les faiblesses de l’identification par témoin oculaire. Il peut aussi, toutefois, être invoqué à la suite d’un procèsprésidé par un juge seul, lorsque les motifs de décision du juge font état d’une lacune semblable. Si ce moyen est accueilli, un nouveauprocès s’ensuivra probablement. L’affaire R. c.
Hibbert, 2002 CSC 39, [2002] 2 R.C.S. 445, est un exemple d’appel relevant de lapremière catégorie, mais pas l’affaire qui nous occupe en l’espèce. [14] En l’espèce, il se dégage on ne peut plus clairement de la décision du juge du procès qu’ilconnaissait la différence entre la crédibilité d’un témoin, d’une part, et la fiabilité du témoignage de ce témoin, d’autre part.
En rendantsa décision orale, le juge a expressément dit être [TRADUCTION] « tout à fait conscient des problèmes de fiabilité associés à la preuved’identification » et a ajouté que [TRADUCTION] « la recherche a montré que quatre-vingt-un pour cent des personnes qui ont faitl’objet d’une condamnation injustifiée ont été déclarées coupables par suite d’une identification erronée », se reportant, à cet égard, auxrésultats de l’enquête Sophonow (Cory, Peter deCarteret, The Inquiry Regarding Thomas Sophonow: The Investigation, Prosecution andConsideration of Entitlement to Compensation (Winnipeg : Ministère de la Justice, 2001)).
De plus, le juge a examiné l’ensemble desfaiblesses que présentait l’identification de M. Arseneault par la victime. Plus précisément, le juge a souligné ceci : la victime neconnaissait pas son agresseur; l’attaquant portait un chandail à capuchon; il faisait noir; l’agresseur était assis sur le siège arrière; lavictime n’a donné aucune déposition concernant la taille et le poids de son attaquant; aucun élément de preuve ne corroborel’identification de M. Arseneault par la victime comme étant son agresseur.
Malgré ces faiblesses et après avoir de nouveau reconnu que[TRADUCTION] « la crédibilité et la fiabilité sont deux choses différentes », le juge s’est dit convaincu hors de tout doute raisonnableque le poursuivant avait prouvé que M. Arseneault était la personne qui avait attaqué et poignardé la victime le 25 mai 2014. Procéderainsi ne constitue pas une erreur de droit. [15] La deuxième catégorie de moyens invoqués pour contester une déclaration de culpabilité enraison d’une identification par témoin oculaire ressortit au verdict lui-même et non aux directives qui ont donné lieu à ce verdict.
Unmoyen d’appel qui relève de cette catégorie contient une allégation selon laquelle le verdict est déraisonnable et l’infirmation en appelest justifiée au
titre du ss-al. 686(1)a)(i). Lorsque ce moyen d’appel est invoqué et accueilli, il y a acquittement.
Le troisième moyend’appel qui est formulé ci-dessus relève de cette catégorie. [16] Le fait de devoir se prononcer sur le caractère raisonnable d’un verdict pour trancher un appelen vertu du ss-al. 686(1)a)(i), « oblige la cour d’appel à déterminer quel verdict un jury raisonnable, ayant reçu des directivesappropriées et agissant de manière judiciaire, aurait pu rendre, et ce faisant, à examiner, à analyser et, dans la mesure où il est possible dele faire compte tenu de la situation désavantageuse dans laquelle se trouve un tribunal d’appel, à évaluer la preuve » : R. c.
Biniaris, 2000CSC 15, [2000] 1 R.C.S. 381, au par. 36, où la Cour se reporte au critère énoncé dans l’arrêt R. c. Yebes, (SCC), [1987] 2 R.C.S. 168, [1987] A.C.S. no 51 (QL). Bien que ce critère ait été formulé en fonction d’un verdict prononcé par un jury, il s’appliqueégalement au jugement d’un juge siégeant seul : Le critère de l’arrêt Yebes est formulé en fonction d’un verdict prononcé par un jury, mais il s’applique tout autant au jugement d’un jugesiégeant sans jury.
L’examen en appel du caractère déraisonnable est toutefois différent et un peu plus facile lorsque le jugementcontesté est celui d’un juge seul, du moins quand il y a des motifs de jugement assez substantiels. Le cas échéant, le tribunal d’appel quiprocède à l’examen est parfois en mesure de déceler une lacune dans l’évaluation de la preuve ou dans l’analyse, qui servira à expliquerla conclusion déraisonnable qui a été tirée, et à justifier l’annulation. Par exemple, dans l’arrêt R. c.
Burke, (SCC),[1996] 1 R.C.S. 474, notre Cour a été en mesure de déceler les lacunes de l’analyse de la preuve qui avaient amené le juge du procès àtirer des conclusions déraisonnables sur les trois chefs d’attentat à la pudeur auxquels faisait face l’accusé.
Dans cet arrêt, le jugeSopinka a décidé, d’une part, que le juge du procès n’avait tenu compte ni de la possibilité de collusion ou de corroboration entre lestémoins avant d’accepter leurs dépositions d’une « ressemblance frappante », ni des circonstances (c’est-à-dire l’absence d’indicesphysiques d’un prétendu attentat à la pudeur qui, s’il s’était produit, aurait dû laisser des traces visibles) qui soulevaient de sérieux doutesau sujet de la fiabilité de la preuve produite à l’appui d’étranges allégations, et d’autre part, que celui-ci s’était fondé, sans se poser dequestions, sur une preuve d’identification inhabituelle.
De même, dans l’arrêt R. c. Reitsma, (SCC), [1998] 1 R.C.S.769, inf. (1997), (BC CA), 97 B.C.A.C. 303, notre Cour a conclu, à l’instar du juge Rowles, dissidente en courd’appel, que le juge du procès n’avait fait aucune allusion aux lacunes de la procédure d’identification préalable au procès et à lafaiblesse de l’identification au banc des accusés. Enfin, dans l’arrêt R. c.
O’Connor (1998), (BC CA), 123 C.C.C.(3d) 487 (C.A.C.-B.), aux pp. 492, 493 et 518 à 520, le juge du procès a accepté le témoignage de l’accusé, selon lequel il n’était pas àl’endroit où l’infraction aurait été commise, ce qui ne l’a pas empêché de déclarer l’accusé coupable. La Cour d’appel a invoqué cetillogisme pour expliquer le caractère déraisonnable du verdict. Ces exemples démontrent que, dans le cas d’un procès devant un jugeseul, la cour d’appel peut souvent identifier les faiblesses de l’analyse qui ont amené le juge des faits à tirer une conclusiondéraisonnable, et qu’elle devrait le faire.
La cour d’appel est donc justifiée d’intervenir et d’annuler un verdict parce qu’il estdéraisonnable, lorsqu’il ressort des motifs du juge du procès qu’il n’a pas tenu compte d’un principe de droit applicable ou qu’il a inscritun verdict incompatible avec les conclusions de fait tirées. Ces faiblesses discernables s’apparentent parfois elles-mêmes à une erreur dedroit distincte et permettent donc facilement de conclure que le verdict déraisonnable auquel elles ont donné lieu soulève également une
question de droit. [par. 37] [17] Dans l’arrêt R. c. Tat, (ON CA), [1997] O.J. No. 3579 (C.A.) (QL), le juged’appel Doherty a souligné que bien qu’un contrôle effectué en vertu du ss-al. 686(1)a)(
i) ait des limites, il s’agit néanmoins d’uncontrôle qui est [TRADUCTION] « particulièrement bien adapté à la révision » d’une déclaration de culpabilité fondée sur une preuved’identification par témoin oculaire. Il a ajouté ce qui suit : [TRADUCTION][…] La raison en est que la possibilité d’une injustice dans ce genre de situation est largement reconnue et que le processus de contrôleen appel convient aux instances qui dépendent essentiellement de la fiabilité de la déposition d’un témoin oculaire et non de la crédibilitéde ce témoin : voir par exemple les arrêts R. c. Miaponoose, [ (ON CA), [1996] O.J.
No. 3216 (C.A.) (Q.L.)]; R. c.Biddle (1993), (ON CA), 84 C.C.C. (3d) 430 (C.A. Ont.), aux p. 434 et 435, infirmé pour d’autres motifs (1995), (SCC), 96 C.C.C. (3d) 321 (C.S.C.); et R. c. Quercia (1990), (ON CA), 60 C.C.C. (3d) 380(C.A. Ont.).
L’abondante jurisprudence qui découle du contrôle de déclarations de culpabilité fondées sur une identification par témoin oculaire révèleque les préoccupations qui ressortissent au caractère raisonnable de ces verdicts sont particulièrement élevées lorsque la personneidentifiée n’est pas connue du témoin, que les circonstances de l’identification ne sont pas favorables à une identification exacte, que leprocessus d’identification préalable au procès est défectueux et qu’il n’existe aucun autre élément de preuve tendant à confirmer ou àétayer la preuve d’identification.
Ces quatre facteurs sont présents en l’espèce. [par. 99 et 100] [18] Certains de ces facteurs sont présents en l’espèce également. [19] Plus récemment, la Cour suprême a eu l’occasion d’examiner les principes de la preuved’identification par témoin oculaire. Dans l’arrêt R. c. Hay, 2013 CSC 61, [2013] 3 R.C.S. 694, le juge Rothstein, qui rendait jugementau nom des six juges majoritaires, a ainsi résumé ces principes : Les questions relatives à la crédibilité des témoins oculaires et au poids à accorder à leur témoignage relèvent du juge des faits – enl’espèce, le jury : R. c.
Mezzo, (SCC), [1986] 1 R.C.S. 802, p. 844-845. Il est bien établi que lorsque le ministère publica recours à l’identification par témoin oculaire, le juge du procès a l’obligation de mettre le jury en garde au sujet des faiblessesreconnues de la preuve d’identification; voir Mezzo, p. 845, citant R. c. Turnbull, [1976] 3 All E.R. 549 (C.A.); R. c. Hibbert, 2002 CSC39, [2002] 2 R.C.S. 445, par. 78-79 (le juge Bastarache, dissident, mais non sur ce point); R. c. Canning, (SCC), [1986]1 R.C.S. 991.
Toutefois, un jury ayant reçu les directives appropriées peut, en dépit des faiblesses de l’identification par témoin oculaire,conclure à la fiabilité de la déposition du témoin oculaire et rendre un verdict de culpabilité sur ce fondement, et ce, même si le ministèrepublic n’a cité qu’un seul témoin oculaire; voir Mezzo, p. 844; R. c. Nikolovski, (SCC), [1996] 3 R.C.S. 1197, par. 23.
Bien que l’appréciation de la crédibilité et du poids de la déposition d’un témoin oculaire relève du jury et que, dans certainescirconstances, la déposition d’un seul témoin oculaire puisse fonder une déclaration de culpabilité, un jury ne devrait pas être autorisé àrendre un verdict de culpabilité en s’appuyant sur une déposition d’un témoin oculaire qui ne pourrait étayer une inférence de culpabilitéhors de tout doute raisonnable.
Autrement dit, il ne faudrait pas expliquer au jury qu’il peut déclarer un accusé coupable en se basantuniquement sur la déposition d’un témoin oculaire lorsque la déposition, même si l’on y accorde foi, laisserait nécessairement subsisterun doute raisonnable dans l’esprit d’un juré raisonnable; voir R. c. Arcuri, 2001 CSC 54, [2001] 2 R.C.S. 828, par. 21-25; R. c. Reitsma, (SCC), [1998] 1 R.C.S. 769, inf. (1997), (BC CA), 97 B.C.A.C. 303; R. c. Zurowski, 2004 CSC 72,[2004] 3 R.C.S. 509; États-Unis d’Amérique c. Shephard, (SCC), [1977] 2 R.C.S. 1067, p. 1080.
En fait, si la preuve duministère public consiste uniquement en la déposition d’un témoin oculaire qui soulèverait nécessairement un doute raisonnable dansl’esprit d’un juré raisonnable, le juge du procès saisi d’une demande de verdict imposé doit ordonner un acquittement (Arcuri, par. 21).[par. 40 et 41] [C’est moi qui souligne.] [20] Dans cette affaire, la majorité a conclu que le jury aurait rendu un verdict déraisonnable s’ilavait déclaré l’accusé coupable sur la seule foi de la déposition de la témoin oculaire.
Dans une large mesure, la raison en était qu’envoyant la photo de l’accusé, la témoin oculaire avait déclaré : [TRADUCTION] « Parmi toutes ces photos, c’est cet homme quicorrespond le mieux à celui que j’ai vu tirer », et avait ajouté : [TRADUCTION] « [E]n pourcentage, je dirais à environ 80 p. 100 »(par. 18). En dernière analyse, toutefois, la majorité a conclu que le juge n’avait pas commis d’erreur dans ses directives au juryconcernant la déposition de la témoin oculaire, bien qu’elle ait ordonné la tenue d’un nouveau procès pour d’autres motifs.
Dans desmotifs concordants, le juge Fish s’est dit en désaccord avec ses collègues sur la question de savoir si l’exposé du juge au jury avaitpermis à ce dernier de s’estimer habilité à déclarer l’appelant coupable en se fondant uniquement sur l’identification faite par la témoin
oculaire. Il a estimé que l’exposé avait donné comme directive au jury qu’il pouvait fonder une déclaration de culpabilité sur cette seule identification, ce qui, a-t-il conclu, aurait donné lieu à un verdict déraisonnable. Bien qu’il y eût certains éléments de preuve corroborants, il était impossible de savoir si le jury les avait pris en considération pour en arriver à son verdict. Le juge Fish était donc d’avis d’ordonner la tenue d’un nouveau procès pour ce motif, ainsi que pour les motifs énoncés par la majorité. [21] En résumé, le contrôle permis en vertu du ss-al. 686(1)a)(
i) dans les instances présidées par un juge seul, lorsque des motifs de jugement assez substantiels ont été rendus sur la question de la fiabilité d’une identification par témoin oculaire, consiste dans ce qui suit : (1) examiner la preuve, analyser les motifs et, dans la mesure où il est possible de le faire compte tenu de la situation désavantageuse dans laquelle se trouve un tribunal d’appel, évaluer la preuve afin de déterminer s’il y a dans l’analyse du juge du procès des faiblesses discernables qui, si elles n’avaient pas existé, auraient rendu impossible une déclaration de culpabilité hors de tout doute raisonnable; et (2) déterminer si, même en l’absence de faiblesse quelconque, la déclaration de culpabilité hors de tout doute raisonnable n’était pas une issue possible de l’espèce.
Dans l’une ou l’autre hypothèse, il s’ensuivrait que le verdict était déraisonnable et l’appel devrait être accueilli. [22] Pour les fins de l’examen des éventuelles faiblesses, je tiendrai compte des quatre facteurs que le juge d’appel Doherty a recensés dans l’arrêt Tat (par. 100 ) : • La question de savoir si la personne identifiée était inconnue du témoin; • Les circonstances dans lesquelles l’identification a eu lieu; • Le processus d’identification préalable au procès; • L’existence d’autres éléments de preuve tendant à confirmer l’identification. [23] Sous chacune de ces rubriques, j’examinerai certains sous-facteurs, recensés dans un certain nombre d’autres décisions, qui sont utilement énumérés dans l’ouvrage de S.
Casey Hill, David M. Tanovich et Louis P.
Strezos, intitulé McWilliams’ Canadian Criminal Evidence , (WestlawNext Canada, Thomson Reuters, 2016) (en ligne), au par. 32:100.50 : • L’identification a-t-elle été effectuée en l’absence d’un trait distinctif? • La possibilité d’observer le suspect n’a-t-elle consisté qu’en un bref coup d’œil? • Le suspect a-t-il été observé dans l’obscurité de la nuit, dans un lieu bien éclairé ou dans une situation de stress? • Y a-t-il eu une parade d’identification et a-t-on laissé entendre que le suspect était détenu? • La description était-elle détaillée ou de nature générale? • Y avait-il incompatibilité avec les descriptions fournies par d’autres témoins? • Des événements ont-ils eu lieu qui sont susceptibles de contaminer l’identification faite par les témoins, notamment de la collusion? • La séance d’identification a-t-elle été équitable sur le plan de sa constitution?
• L’étalement de photos est préférable à la présentation séquentielle parce qu’il a tendance à prévenir les préjugés issus d’une comparaison; • Y a-t-il eu identification interraciale? • Le témoin qui a effectué l’identification avait-il consommé de l’alcool ou avait-il les facultés affaiblies par de la drogue? • L’identification au banc des accusés ne doit se voir reconnaître qu’une force probante négligeable, si tant est qu’on lui en reconnaisse; • Dans quelle mesure les directives ont-elles respecté les recommandations faites à la suite de l’enquête Sophonow? • L’affaire a-t-elle été instruite devant un jury ou devant un juge seul?
B. L’examen et l’évaluation de la preuve et l’analyse des motifs [24] Au moment d’entreprendre cette analyse, j’accepte les conclusions de fait du juge du procès à moins qu’elles ne soient manifestement erronées. Je souscris également aux conclusions sur la crédibilité qu’il a tirées relativement à la victime. Je le fais en raison de l’avantage marqué dont jouissait le juge du procès du fait qu’il a lui-même vu et entendu le témoin rendre témoignage.
J’accepte ses conclusions sur la crédibilité malgré le fait qu’en contre-interrogatoire, la victime a clairement nié avoir, plus tôt le même jour, vu les photos qu’on lui avait montrées pendant son interrogatoire principal. Plus précisément, la victime a rendu le témoignage suivant en contre-interrogatoire : [TRADUCTION] Q . Et peut-être que je m’épargnerai le temps que cela prendrait. Quand avez-vous vu ce document, ces photos, pour la dernière fois? R. Il y a quelques secondes. Q. Je veux dire avant que vous arriviez à la barre des témoins. R.
Je ne suis pas certain de la date exacte mais je crois que ce devait être en juin. Q. Vous ne les avez pas vues aujourd’hui, à un autre moment qu’il y a quelques instants ? R. Non . [C’est moi qui souligne.] [25] Comme on pouvait s’y attendre de la part d’un poursuivant respectueux de l’éthique, l’avocat du ministère public, sachant que ce témoignage n’était pas exact, a réinterrogé le témoin et lui a demandé s’il se rappelait que le poursuivant lui avait montré certaines photographies [TRADUCTION] « devant la Cour aujourd’hui ».
Le témoin a répondu qu’il s’en souvenait et est revenu sur le témoignage qu’il avait rendu plus tôt en disant qu’il avait pensé que la question se rapportait à des photos qu’on lui aurait montrées antérieurement, pas le jour même. Plus précisément, il a dit : [TRADUCTION] « J’avais juste – je n’ai pas – je n’ai pas bien compris que la question concernait des photos que j’aurais vues aujourd’hui ».
[26] Dans ses motifs de décision, le juge du procès a dit qu’il trouvait la victime [TRADUCTION] « extrêmement crédible ». En ce qui concerne le fait que la victime avait modifié son témoignage, le juge a dit ceci : [TRADUCTION] Bien, l’avocat de la défense, faisant son travail, a soulevé la question du témoignage apparemment trompeur de la victime concernant la série de photos numéro trois qu’elle avait vue avant de rendre témoignage. [À] la demande du ministère public, la victime avait regardé les photos 6 à 10 […] dans la série de photos numéro trois quelques minutes avant de témoigner.
Et il semblait qu’en réponse à une question de l’avocat de la défense, elle avait nié les avoir regardées. Et l’avocat de la défense a prétendu que la crédibilité de [la victime] avait été compromise en raison de la réponse qu’elle avait donnée en contre-interrogatoire. Celle où elle a semblé nier avoir regardé ces photos peu de temps avant de témoigner.
Bien, j’ai beaucoup […] réfléchi à cette question […] et je suis convaincu que plutôt que de constituer une tentative en vue d’induire la Cour en erreur, sa réponse à la question de l’avocat de la défense était tout simplement attribuable au fait qu’elle avait mal compris la question plutôt qu’une tentative visant à induire la Cour en erreur. [27] Cette conclusion est une conclusion que le juge, qui avait l’avantage d’avoir vu et entendu les témoins, pouvait à bon droit tirer. Il faut donc faire preuve de déférence envers cette conclusion.
Il s’ensuit que l’analyse qui suit porte exclusivement sur la fiabilité de l’identification par le témoin oculaire et non sur la crédibilité de la victime.
i) Le lien avec la personne identifiée [28] La victime a témoigné qu’elle connaissait M. Chase, mais qu’elle ne connaissait pas l’autre personne – celle qui l’a poignardée. Il s’ensuit que l’identification qu’elle a faite de l’homme en question était uniquement fondée sur sa rencontre avec lui le soir en question. Après avoir été séquestrée et poignardée, la victime n’a pas été en mesure de donner une quelconque description de la personne qui l’avait poignardée.
Elle a cependant dit à la police qu’elle pourrait reconnaître le visage de cette personne mais que, parce que cette personne portait un capuchon, elle était seulement en mesure de dire qu’elle pensait que l’homme en question avait peut-être des cheveux foncés ou noirs. Au procès, la victime a déclaré ceci : [TRADUCTION] « J’arriv[e] à me représenter son visage, mais je ne sais pas vraiment comment le décrire. Il faisait noir, il avait la tête couverte d’un capuchon ». [29] Le juge du procès a pris ce facteur en considération.
Il a fait observer ceci : [TRADUCTION] « [L]a victime […] en l’espèce n’a pas été en mesure de donner le nom de son agresseur à la police. La preuve semble établir clairement qu’avant ce soir-là, le soir où elle a été poignardée, la victime n’avait jamais, à sa connaissance, rencontré cette personne ». [30] Il s’ensuit que, lorsqu’un témoin oculaire ne connaissait pas au préalable l’identité d’un suspect, les circonstances dans lesquelles la rencontre a eu lieu prennent une signification beaucoup plus grande.
Voir une personne et la reconnaître immédiatement comme quelqu’un que l’on connaît est une chose, voir un parfait inconnu et désigner cet inconnu plusieurs jours plus tard lors d’une séance d’identification photographique en est une tout autre. ii) Les circonstances de la rencontre [31] Les circonstances dans lesquelles la victime a rencontré son agresseur comportent des éléments qui viennent confirmer sa capacité de reconnaître ultérieurement cet agresseur et également certains éléments qui vie