2022 NBCA 23, 2022 NBCA 23
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 88-21-CA ROBERT BATES and JANICE BATES APPELLANTS ROBERT BATES et JANICE BATES APPELANTS - and - - et - LINDA BATES RESPONDENT LINDA BATES INTIMÉE Bates et al. v. Bates, 2022 NBCA 23 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice Green The Honourable Justice LeBlond Bates et autre c.
Bates, 2022 NBCA 23 CORAM : l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge Green l’honorable juge LeBlond Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: September 1, 2021 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : le 1 er septembre 2021 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: 2021 NBQB 185 Décision frappée d’appel : 2021 NBBR 185 Preliminary or incidental proceedings: N/A Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : s.o. Appeal heard: January 28, 2022 Appel entendu : le 28 janvier 2022 Judgment rendered: June 2, 2022 Jugement rendu : le 2 juin 2022
Reasons for judgment: The Honourable Justice Quigg Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Green The Honourable Justice LeBlond Counsel at hearing: For the appellants: Timothy M. Hopkins For the respondent: Michel John Boudreau Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge Quigg Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Green l’honorable juge LeBlond Avocats à l’audience : Pour les appelants: Timothy M. Hopkins Pour l’intimée : Michel John Boudreau THE COURT [ 1 ] The appeal is allowed. The application is to be converted into an action, and any related procedural issues are to be heard in the Court of Queen’s Bench.
Ordinarily, costs follow the event but because we are remitting this case to the Court of Queen’s Bench, each party shall bear their own costs. LA COUR L’appel est accueilli. La requête sera convertie en action et la Cour du Banc de la Reine examinera les questions de procédure qui pourront se poser. D’ordinaire, les dépens suivent le sort de l’instance, mais, parce que nous renvoyons l’affaire à la Cour du Banc de la Reine, chacune des parties acquittera ses propres frais. The judgment of the Court was delivered by QUIGG, J.A. I.
Introduction [1] The issue before us in this appeal is whether an application judge erred when she determined a right of first refusal contained in a registered agreement that fixed the price of sale to a maximum of $30,000 was void as it was a restraint on alienation.
II. Facts [ 2 ] The respondent, Linda Bates, is the owner of the property located at 1221 Route 850, Kiersteadville, New Brunswick (“the Property”). The appellants are the respondent’s brother-in-law Robert Bates and his wife, Janice Bates. The respondent’s late husband, Richard Bates, and the appellant, Robert Bates, were brothers. The respondent and her late husband rented the Property from the appellants from 1990 to 1994 for $200 per month. If they made any improvements to it, no rent would be paid.
The evidence was they did not pay rent as, during that period, they invested some personal funds to renovate a bedroom and install a new furnace. The appellants installed a new septic system on the Property at a cost of $10,000. [ 3 ] In 1994, the appellants transferred the Property to the respondent and her husband at a cost of $10,000, which the parties all agreed was an accurate measure of the value of the Property, as the house was in very poor condition and in need of significant repairs. [ 4 ] The Property is adjacent to the appellants’ residence, and, as such, they wished to have a right to repurchase it.
According to the appellants, part of the justification for signing the agreement was to protect against the possibility that the relationship between Richard and the respondent would fail, or the Property could potentially be transferred to someone outside the family. [ 5 ] As a result of these concerns, all parties met with a lawyer on August 4, 1994, when they executed the following documents: a. a deed conveying the Property in fee simple to the respondent and her late husband; and b. an agreement of purchase and sale (“the Agreement”), which is the subject of this appeal. [ 6 ] The Agreement clearly reflected the deed was to be registered first as it refers to the respondent and her late husband as “vendors” and the appellants as “purchasers.” The deed was registered in the Registry Office for the County of Kings, New Brunswick, on August 9, 1994, at 2:10 p.m., in book number 1139, at page 366. [ 7 ] Immediately thereafter, a collateral mortgage from the respondent and her husband to the Royal Bank of Canada was registered.
The Agreement was registered after the collateral mortgage.
The Agreement was registered in book 1139, at page 379. [ 8 ] The Agreement includes the following clauses: If during the lifetime of the survivor of the purchasers (the Applicants) or the vendors (the Respondent and her husband) or at any time before August 1, 2024, the vendors receive a bona fides arms length offer to purchase the property which the vendors are willing to accept, the vendors shall provide the purchasers with a copy of the offer to purchase, and the purchasers shall have forty-eight hours following receipt to purchase the property by delivering to the vendors a signed offer to purchase the property on the terms and conditions set out below, which the vendors shall immediately accept.
The vendors and purchasers further agree that during the life of the purchasers or the survivor of the purchasers or at any time before August 1, 2024, the purchasers may deliver notice to the vendors requiring them to sell the property to the purchasers on the terms and conditions set out below within six months of the date of the notice. The terms and conditions which shall apply [to] either transaction described above shall be as follows:
a) Purchase Price: The purchase price shall be the sum of $10,000.00 plus any expenses the vendors have made toward renovation of the property during their ownership of it to a maximum of $20,000.00 Included in the computation of the renovation expense shall be any out of pocket expenses of the vendors but the computation shall not include any allowance for wages or salary for either of the vendors.
The vendors shall provide receipts for all of the renovation expenses claimed. [ 9 ] These provisions permitted the appellants to purchase the Property for $10,000 plus an amount to cover renovations undertaken by the respondent to a maximum of $20,000. Therefore, the total purchase price would not exceed $30,000. After acquiring the Property, the respondent and her husband renovated the house. [ 10 ] Throughout the renovations, the respondent and her husband borrowed against the P roperty, taking out mortgages several times between 1994 and 2000.
The appellants were aware of at least one of the mortgages as they executed an agreement to postpone the Agreement to mortgages registered in favour of the Royal Bank. Five more mortgages were registered against the Property over the years. [ 11 ] In 2007, the respondent and her husband built a detached garage with a granny suite on the Property. An elderly friend provided $42,000 to them to pay for the construction materials. The arrangement was that the friend would reside in the granny suite and pay nominal rent.
The friend moved in and resided in the granny suite until she passed away in 2020. [ 12 ] When Richard passed away on May 9, 2018, there was an outstanding mortgage on the Property with a balance of $136,000. The respondent informed the appellants of the money owed and the difficulties she was having paying her bills. [ 13 ] The appellants offered to purchase the Property for $156,000, which equalled the amount owing on the mortgage plus $20,000.
The respondent refused the offer, as the house, garage, and lot, in her opinion, were worth more than $156,000. [ 14 ] Unfortunately, on September 21, 2019, the house on the Property burnt to the ground. It was a total loss, and the respondent did not rebuild. The detached garage and granny suite remained. [ 15 ] In October 2020, five months after the friend who lived in the granny suite passed away, the respondent listed the Property for sale. At that time, she informed her realtor the appellants had a right to purchase. On October 17, 2020, the respondent received an offer for the P roperty of $142,000.
After negotiating, the potential buyer agreed to increase the purchase price to $148,000. The 2020 Provincial Tax Assessment for the Property was $69,700. [ 16 ] The respondent presented the offer to the appellants to allow them to exercise their right to purchase the Property pursuant to the A greement, as she allegedly believed the Agreement would require the appellants to “meet or exceed” the amount the buyer offered if they wished to exercise their right to purchase. [ 17 ] The appellants offered the respondent $30,000 for the Property as per the Agreement. The respondent refused this offer.
In return, the appellants, through their lawyer, registered a caveat against the Property to prevent its transfer. The respondent offered to sell the Property to the appellants at market value. No reply was received. She then instructed her lawyer to request the caveat be removed so she could proceed with the sale of the Property.
On January 29, 2021, the appellants filed a Notice of Application seeking a determination of their rights under the Agreement and that the respondent be directed to complete the transaction contemplated by the Agreement, among other things. [ 18 ] The application was heard on May 4, 2021. [ 19 ] On September 1, 2021, the application judge found the right of first refusal contained in the Agreement was void to the extent it fixed the price of sale to a maximum of $30,000.
She determined the other provisions remained in effect in all other respects should the respondent receive a third-party offer to purchase that she was willing to accept. The application judge stated: The application by the Applicants for an order effectively compelling the Respondent to comply with the terms of the Agreement is dismissed. The right of first refusal is void to the extent it fixes the price of sale to a maximum of $30,000.00. In all other respects, the
provision remains in effect should the Respondent receive a third-party offer of sale that she is willing to accept. The right of repurchase is void and of no effect. Considering the evidence of the market value of the property in question, in the amount of $148,000.00, I award costs to the Respondent payable by the Applicants, in the amount of $4,000.00 inclusive of disbursements. [paras. 55-56] [ 20 ] The appellants appeal this decision. They ask it be varied and that the Agreement be interpreted to compel the respondent to comply with its terms and to complete the real estate transaction as contemplated. III.
The Parties’ Positions at the Application Hearing A. The appellants [ 21 ] The appellants advanced their case as a contractual question: “What are the respective rights of the parties under the Agreement?” They argued there was no justiciable basis prohibiting the strict enforcement of the Agreement as it is a separate, independent agreement entered into by parties of equal standing. They further relied on s. 60(1) of the Property Act , R.S.N.B. 1973, c. P- 19 (the “ Act ”). B.
The respondent [ 22 ] The respondent argued the Agreement is an unenforceable restraint on alienation of property and is void as it prohibits the respondent, who has fee simple of the Property, from freely disposing of and managing it as she wishes. [ 23 ] In the alternative, the respondent submitted the issue could not be resolved by way of application as there were substantial disputes of fact. Additional arguments were that a decision to now order the appellants to pay anything less than fair market value would be contrary to the equitable principles of proprietary estoppel and unjust enrichment. IV.
Grounds of Appeal [ 24 ] While the appellants’ Notice of Appeal raises six individual grounds, they have distilled those grounds to the following in their written submission: a. Does s. 60 of the Property Act change the common law to prevent the application of the principle of restraint on alienation? b. Was the Agreement a “condition” of the sale, meaning it was void ab initio as an impermissible restraint on alienation, incompatible with a transfer in fee simple? IV.
Standard of Review [ 25 ] Questions of law are reviewable on the standard of correctness, while questions of fact are reviewable on the standard of palpable and overriding error (see 666917 N.B. Inc. et al. v. Stairs Building
(2004) Ltd. , 2022 NBCA 22 ; Housen v. Nikolaisen , 2002 SCC 33 , [2002] 2 S.C.R. 235 ).
[ 26 ] Questions of mixed fact and law are reviewable on the standard of palpable and overriding error, unless a question of law is extricable from the mix, in which case the standard of review is correctness. Instances where a question of law is extricable include “the application of an incorrect principle, the failure to consider a required element of a legal test, or the failure to consider a relevant factor” (see Sattva Capital Corp. v. Creston Moly Corp. , 2014 SCC 53 , [2014] 2 S.C.R. 633 , at para. 53 , quoting King v. Operating Engineers Training Institute of Manitoba Inc. , 2011 MBCA 80 , [2011] M.J.
No. 311 (QL) , at para. 21 ; Algo Enterprises Ltd. v. Repap New Brunswick Inc. , 2016 NBCA 35 , 450 N.B.R. (2d) 238 , at para. 18 ; Vautour et al. v. Her Majesty the Queen in right of the Province of New Brunswick et al. , 2021 NBCA 4 , [2021] N.B.J. No. 18 (QL) , at para. 31 ). [ 27 ] With respect to the application of s. 60 of the Act , I agree with the appellants that the standard of review is correctness. Regarding the judge’s finding that the Agreement was a “condition” of the sale, resulting in an impermissible restraint on alienation, the standard of review is also correctness.
In my view, this involved a question of mixed fact and law from which a question of law is extricable. V. Analysis [ 28 ] The Agreement in question contains two clauses, a right of first refusal and a right of repurchase. As stated earlier, the terms and conditions that apply to both of them are:
a) Purchase Price: The purchase price shall be the sum of $10,000.00 plus any expenses the vendors have made toward renovation of the property during their ownership of it to a maximum of $20,000.00 Included in the computation of the renovation expense shall be any out of pocket expenses of the vendors but the computation shall not include any allowance for wages or salary for either of the vendors.
The vendors shall provide receipts for all of the renovation expense claimed. [ 29 ] Although the Agreement included two distinct scenarios, the issue before the application judge was solely the right of first refusal. Therefore, the following comments are restricted to that issue only. A. Was s. 60 in play in the application? [ 30 ] The appellants contend that s. 60 of the Act clearly replaces common law principles relating to restraint on alienation.
Section 60 states: Purchase of reversionary interest 60
(1) No purchase made bona fide , and without fraud or unfair dealing, of any reversionary interest in real or personal estate shall be opened or set aside merely on the ground of undervalue. 60
(2) The word “purchase” in this
section includes every kind of contract, conveyance or assignment under or by which any beneficial interest in any kind of property may be acquired. Achat d’un droit de retour 60
(1) Aucun achat fait de bonne foi, sans fraude ni procédé déloyal, de tout droit de retour sur des biens réels ou personnels ne peut être revisé ou annulé pour le seul motif d’une sous-évaluation. 60
(2) Dans le présent article, le mot « achat » comprend toute sorte de contrat, transfert ou cession par lesquels il est possible d’acquérir un droit à
titre bénéficiaire sur toute sorte de bien. [ 31 ] To apply s. 60 of the Act in this case, I first must examine whether a right of first refusal is a reversionary interest. In Anne Warner La Forest, Anger & Honsberger Law of Real Property , 3rd ed. (Toronto: Thomson Reuters Canada, 2021), Professor La Forest discusses reversionary interests. She writes: A reversion is the estate that remains in the grantor who grants by one deed or the heirs of a testator who devises by will, a lesser vested estate or a succession of lesser vested estates than the vested estate held by the grantor or testator. It is called a “reversion” because
possession of the land will revert to the grantor and their heirs or to the testator’s estate at the end of the lesser or last lesser estate. […] [§ 9:41] [ 32 ] Professor La Forest also writes: While more than one remainder may be created by the same instrument, there can be only one reversion.
Moreover, a reversion is always vested, for it stands ready to fall into possession whenever the lesser estates determine. […] [§9:42] [ 33 ] Although the appellants argue s. 60 applies to this situation, they were not able to provide any authority to support this assertion. [ 34 ] In this case, the right of first refusal cannot be interpreted as reversionary. It is not a vested interest. The appellants transferred the Property to the respondent and her husband in fee simple absolute. As stated earlier, the Agreement that was registered after the deed contains a right of first refusal and a right of repurchase.
The appellants could reacquire the Property if the respondent decided to put it up for sale before August 2024, as she did. Had the respondent not decided to sell her Property or had she waited until after the date specified in the Agreement, the appellants would not have been permitted to reacquire the Property according to the right of first refusal specified in the Agreement. Therefore, there was a possibility the Property would revert to the appellants, but it was not definite. In my view, s. 60 has no application, and the application judge did not err in determining so. B.
Was the Agreement a “condition” of the sale that would be void ab initio as a restraint on alienation? [ 35 ] Had the right of first refusal been included in the deed to the respondent and her husband, it would likely have been void for being a restraint on alienation by the grantors, the appellants. However, the right of first refusal was not included in the deed but in a separate agreement. The grantee respondent, who owns the property in fee simple, can choose to alienate or sell her land.
However, as will be shown later, there are situations where rights to repurchase and rights of first refusal created in a document that immediately follows a conveyance can be regarded as restraints on alienation if they are not reasonable. [ 36 ] In his article, “Options, Rights of Repurchase and Rights of First Refusal as Contracts and as Interests in Land” (1991) 70:1 Can Bar Rev 1, Paul M. Perell writes: […] the rule against restraints on alienation does not apply to a person who already owns the land and wishes to alienate or sell .
There is no objection to a person who already owns land agreeing to sell the land to a particular individual or granting options or rights of first refusal. Such agreements restrain alienation but the restraints are not annexed to the grant of the land. In other words, the restraints are independent of any grant and are not imposed on a grantee but rather are contractually negotiated by a grantor. But since a grantor can suffer a restraint as a matter of contract, can a grantee who will become the next grantor also contract in a similar manner? The answer to this question is yes.
The law draws a distinction between imposed “conditions” to a deed which may be void if repugnant to the estate granted and “covenants” which are independent contract obligations, the breach of which will ground an award of damages. [Emphasis added; p. 15] [ 37 ] Perell also states: In the more complex form, the right of repurchase will not be immediately available but will depend upon decisions or the conduct or status of the new owner of the land. [p. 7] [ 38 ] In her decision, the application judge reviewed the concept of restraint on alienation: The principle against the restraint on alienation of property is a property law principle of ancient origin.
The Ontario Court of Appeal in Stephens v. Gulf Oil Canada Ltd. traces its origins by referring back to Coke upon Littleton, 1832. To spare the effort of interpreting old English, I refer to the court’s brief explanation of the principle as follows: “A power of alienation is an inseparable incident of an estate in fee simple. Consequently, where there is a condition annexed to a grant or devise of land in fee simple, which is an absolute restraint on alienation, it will be void as being repugnant to that estate.” [para. 32]
[ 39 ] However, we know from Laurin v. Iron Ore Company of Canada , [1977] N.J. No. 96 (QL) , that this is not always the case: In
summary, repurchase rights contained in a conveyance or created immediately following the execution and delivery of a conveyance which are reasonable and in the nature of rights that the purchaser might have granted as part of an independent business transaction are covenants and the court will not interfere with them any more than if they had been created independently of the conveyance.
Repurchase rights so contained or created which are not reasonable and in such nature are conditions and if they restrain alienation absolutely or substantially they are void. [Emphasis added; para. 126] [ 40 ] Accordingly, the issue that arises in this case is whether the repurchase rights contained in the Agreement (the covenants) are so unreasonable they are actually conditions disguised as covenants, are a restraint on alienation and are therefore void.
The application judge had to determine the intention of the parties when this transaction occurred and whether it was reasonable for the respondent and her late husband to accept the terms of the Agreement. It might be helpful to expand a bit on what “reasonable” means in determining whether the Agreement was an absolute restraint on alienation.
Laurin provides a good overview: The court should not interfere with such rights where they stand separate and apart from the instrument under which title was acquired and are not in any way associated with the acquisition of title, unless the transaction is oppressive or unconscionable. Where, however, the acquisition of title and the making of the covenants are linked together in such a manner as to indicate that there would not be one without the other, then I think the question of reasonableness comes into issue. That is why I said earlier that we are involved in a question of fact.
If the obligation entered into by the person acquiring title is reasonable as to time and price, then a court ought to consider it a covenant freely entered into by the grantee as a business transaction.
If on the other hand the obligation is not reasonable as to time and price, then the court ought to consider it a condition imposed by the grantor on the grantee irrespective of the form in which the condition appears and that if it amounts to a restraint on alienation, then it is void. [paras. 122-125] [ 41 ] The application judge decided the repurchase rights were not reasonable, solely because of the increased value of the Property.
She wrote: As stated in Laurin , “conditions” that pay no heed to market or rising property values and are intended to endure for a significant amount of time, are substantial restraints on alienation. Why would a property owner ever improve their property knowing they may never sell for more than the nominal amount they paid?
Goodridge J. stated the following on this point: In my view, options, repurchase rights, preemptive rights and the like which are in effect conditions of title and which purport to require the title holder to sell the land to the previous owner or someone designated by him at a price that must be calculated without reference to improved property values, and which are designed to endure for a long period, are substantial restraints on alienation and are void.
My finding, therefore, is that because the plaintiff's undertaking is not the type of undertaking that he would reasonably enter into independently, of his acquisition of title, it is not a covenant but rather a condition under which he acquired title and that that condition constitutes a restraint on alienation and is therefore void. [paras. 150-151] [para. 47] [ 42 ] However, determining the reasonableness of the repurchase rights in this case cannot be done strictly on the
basis of the market value of the Property. The application judge decided what was reasonable without considering the various other factors at play at the time of the conveyance and the subsequent Agreement. In this case, a determination regarding reasonableness involves a full panoply of circumstances that should have been considered.
They include the fact that: 1) this was a deal between brothers, one brother, practically speaking, giving property to the other; 2) the Property is directly next door to the grantor brother’s property and proximity of buildings to each other was not explored; 3) the $10,000 purchase price appears to reflect the amount the appellants paid for the septic system; 4) the respondent and her husband lived on the Property practically rent-free for four years; 5) the respondent and her husband received a habitable, if run-down, property, effectively for no charge; 6) the appellants would more than likely not have done this for a stranger; and 7) the respondent and her husband freely entered into the Agreement. [ 43 ] I disagree with the application judge when she found there was no substantial dispute of fact.
It is obvious there is a substantial dispute of fact regarding whether the Agreement was reasonable when it was entered into. This was not a matter to be decided by way of an application and should have been converted into an action, as the respondents pleaded in the alternative at the application hearing.
The application judge made findings that were based on facts in dispute: Based on this evidence and the fact here that the deed and Agreement were executed almost simultaneously and were registered together, I find in the case before me that the Agreement executed on the same date and likely at the same time as the transfer of title to the Respondent and her husband is not a separate contract but was a “condition” of the sale to the Respondent and her husband.
I find that the transfer of the property would not have happened without the Agreement containing the right of first refusal and the right to repurchase. […] Reasonableness also applies to the second right contained in the Agreement, the right to repurchase within a term of 30 years again for a maximum price of $30,000.00 without any consideration for changes in the fair market value and improvements on the land. [paras. 44 and 46] [ 44 ] Rule 38.09(
b) of the Rules of Court states:
38.09 Disposition of Application On the hearing of an application, the court may (
b) where it is satisfied that there is a substantial dispute of fact, direct that the application proceed to trial or direct the trial of a particular issue or issues and, in either case, give such directions and impose such terms as may be just, subject to which the proceeding shall thereafter be treated as an action. 38.09 Décision À l’audition d’une requête, la cour peut
b) si elle constate qu’il y a une contestation importante des faits, prescrire l’instruction de la requête ou l’instruction d’une ou de plusieurs questions soulevées et, dans l’un ou l’autre cas, donner les directives et imposer les conditions qu’elle estime justes, après quoi l’instance sera conduite comme une action. [ 45 ] In my view, the application judge did not canvass all the circumstances surrounding the origins of the Agreement given the gaps in the evidence and the substantial dispute of facts regarding the reasonableness of the Agreement.
She should not have dealt with this on an application but should have converted it to an action. [ 46 ] As mentioned above, at the hearing of the application, the respondent raised the principles of proprietary estoppel and unjust enrichment. As neither of these topics were explored at the appeal hearing or in the respondent’s written submission, they are best left for another day. VII. Disposition [ 47 ] I would allow the appeal, direct the application be converted into an action, and any related procedural issues be heard in the Court of Queen’s Bench.
Ordinarily, costs follow the event but because we are remitting this case to the Court of Queen’s Bench, each party shall bear their own costs. Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par LA JUGE QUIGG I. Introduction [1] Notre Cour est priée de déterminer si la juge saisie de la requête a commis une erreur lorsqu’elle a conclu que le droit de premier refus stipulé par une convention enregistrée fixant le prix de vente à un maximum de 30 000 $ était invalide pour le motif qu’il constituait une restriction d’aliénabilité. II.
Faits [2] L’intimée, Linda Bates , est propriétaire du bien-fonds situé au 1221, route 850, à Kiersteadville, au Nouveau-Brunswick (le bien-fonds). Les appelants sont Robert Bates, beau-frère de l’intimée, et son épouse, Janice Bates. Robert Bates
et Richard Bates , le défunt époux de l’intimée , étaient des frères. De 1990 à 1994, l’intimée et son époux ont loué des appelants le bien-fonds; le loyer était de 200 $ par mois. S’ils y réalisaient des améliorations, ils étaient exempts de loyer. Il est ressorti de la preuve qu’ils n’ont versé aucun loyer, parce que, durant cette période, ils ont puisé dans leurs propres fonds en vue de la rénovation d’une chambre à coucher et de l’installation d’une fournaise neuve.
Les appelants ont doté le bien-fonds d’une nouvelle fosse septique qui leur a coûté 10 000 $. [3] En 1994, les appelants ont transféré le bien-fonds à l’intimée et à son époux pour le prix de 10 000 $, dont les parties ont toutes convenu qu’il était une indication exacte de la valeur du bien-fonds étant donné le piètre état de la maison et les importantes réparations nécessaires. [4] Le bien-fonds est adjacent à la demeure des appelants, qui souhaitaient, de ce fait, avoir le droit de le racheter.
La passation de la convention se justifiait entre autres, au dire des appelants, par la volonté de parer à l’éventualité d’une rupture entre Richard Bates et l’intimée ou d’un transfert du bien-fonds à un acquéreur qui ne serait pas de la famille. [5] En conséquence de ces craintes, les parties ont signé devant un avocat, le 4 août 1994, les documents suivants : a. un acte de transport du bien-fonds en fief simple à l’intimée et à son défunt époux; b. une convention d’achat-vente (la convention), objet du présent appel. [6] Il ressortait distinctement de la convention que l’acte de transport devait être enregistré le premier, puisque l’intimée et son époux y sont dénommés [TRADUCTION] « vendeurs », les appelants [TRADUCTION] « acheteurs ».
L’acte de transport a été enregistré au bureau de l’enregistrement du comté de Kings, au Nouveau-Brunswick, le 9 août 1994 à 14 h 10, à la page 366 du livre 1139. [7] L’hypothèque accessoire que l’intimée et son époux avaient consentie à la Banque Royale du Canada a été enregistrée immédiatement après.
La convention a été enregistrée après l’hypothèque accessoire, à la page 379 du livre 1139. [8] La convention porte les clauses suivantes : [TRADUCTION] Si, durant la vie du survivant parmi les acheteurs (les requérants) ou les vendeurs (l’intimée et son mari) ou à tout moment antérieur au 1 er août 2024, les vendeurs reçoivent une offre, présentée de bonne foi dans des conditions normales de concurrence, visant l’achat du bien-fonds, laquelle offre les vendeurs sont prêts à accepter, les vendeurs transmettront aux acheteurs copie de l’offre d’achat, et les acheteurs auront quarante-huit heures par la suite pour acheter le bien-fonds en remettant aux vendeurs une offre signée visant l’achat du bien-fonds aux conditions énoncées ci-après, laquelle offre les vendeurs accepteront immédiatement.
Les vendeurs et les acheteurs conviennent en outre que, durant la vie des acheteurs ou du survivant des acheteurs ou à tout moment antérieur au 1 er août 2024, les acheteurs pourront remettre un avis aux vendeurs obligeant ceux-ci à leur vendre le bien-fonds, aux conditions énoncées ci-après, dans les six mois suivant la date de l’avis. Les conditions qui s’appliqueront dans l’un ou l’autre des cas visés ci-dessus seront les suivantes :
a) Prix d’achat : Le prix d’achat sera de 10 000 $, plus toute dépense que les vendeurs auront supportée pour la rénovation du bien-fonds pendant qu’il leur appartenait, jusqu’à concurrence de 20 000 $. Seront compris dans le calcul des dépenses de rénovation tous débours des vendeurs, sans aucune compensation, toutefois, au
titre de salaires pour l’un ou l’autre des vendeurs. Les vendeurs fourniront des reçus pour la totalité des dépenses de rénovation réclamées.
[9] Ces dispositions permettaient aux appelants d’acheter le bien-fonds pour un prix de 10 000 $, auquel s’ajouterait un montant défrayant l’intimée, à concurrence de 20 000 $, des rénovations entreprises. Le prix d’achat total ne devait donc pas excéder 30 000 $. Après avoir acquis le bien-fonds, l’intimée et son époux ont rénové la maison. [10] Au fur et à mesure des rénovations, l’intimée et son époux ont hypothéqué le bien-fonds; ils ont contracté plusieurs emprunts hypothécaires entre 1994 et 2000.
Les appelants avaient connaissance d’au moins un des emprunts hypothécaires, puisqu’ils ont consenti par écrit à subordonner la convention à des hypothèques enregistrées en faveur de la Banque Royale. Cinq autres hypothèques ont été enregistrées contre le bien-fonds au fil des ans. [11] En 2007, l’intimée et son époux ont vu à l’ajout au bien-fonds d’un garage isolé muni d’un logement accessoire. Une amie âgée leur a remis une contribution de 42 000 $ au coût des matériaux de construction. Il était convenu que cette amie habiterait ensuite le logement accessoire et paierait un loyer nominal.
Elle s’y est installée et l’a habité jusqu’à son décès en 2020. [12] Au décès de Richard Bates, le 9 mai 2018, le solde du prêt hypothécaire grevant le bien-fonds était de 136 000 $. L’intimée a informé les appelants de la somme due et de ses difficultés à joindre les deux bouts. [13] Les appelants ont offert à l’intimée d’acheter le bien-fonds 156 000 $, soit le solde du prêt hypothécaire majoré de 20 000 $. Elle a refusé l’offre, parce que la maison, le garage et le terrain lui paraissaient valoir davantage. [14] Malheureusement, le 21 septembre 2019, un incendie a réduit la maison en cendres.
La perte était totale et l’intimée n’a pas fait reconstruire la maison. Il restait le garage isolé et le logement accessoire. [15] En octobre 2020, cinq mois après le décès de l’amie qui avait occupé le logement accessoire, l’intimée a mis le bien-fonds en vente. Elle a alors informé son agent immobilier du droit d’achat des appelants. Le 17 octobre 2020, elle a reçu une offre de 142 000 $ pour l’achat du bien-fonds. Après négociations, l’acheteur éventuel a accepté de porter le prix d’achat à 148 000 $.
L’évaluation foncière provinciale de 2020 attribuait au bien-fonds une valeur de 69 700 $. [16] L’intimée a présenté l’offre aux appelants afin de leur permettre d’exercer le droit d’acheter le bien-fonds que leur conférait la convention. Elle croyait, semble-t-il, que la convention exigerait d’eux [TRADUCTION] « une offre égale ou supérieure » au montant que l’acheteur avait offert, s’ils souhaitaient exercer leur droit d’achat. [17] S’appuyant sur la convention, les appelants ont offert 30 000 $ à l’intimée. L’intimée a refusé l’offre.
Les appelants, par l’entremise de leur avocat, ont alors obtenu l’enregistrement d’une opposition contre le bien-fonds en vue d’en empêcher le transfert. L’intimée a proposé aux appelants de leur vendre le bien-fonds à sa valeur marchande. Elle n’a pas reçu de réponse. Elle a ensuite chargé son avocat de demander la radiation de l’opposition afin qu’elle puisse procéder à la vente du bien-fonds. Le 29 janvier 2021, les appelants ont déposé un avis de requête.
Ils demandaient entre autres que les droits dont ils jouissent sous le régime de la convention soient précisés et que l’intimée soit sommée de clôturer l’opération en conformité avec la convention. [18] La requête a été entendue le 4 mai 2021. [19] Le 1 er septembre 2021, la juge saisie de la requête a conclu que le droit de premier refus stipulé dans la convention était invalide dans la mesure où il fixait le prix de vente à 30 000 $ au maximum et que le reste des dispositions demeurait en vigueur, à tous autres égards, pour le cas où l’intimée recevrait une offre d’achat d’un tiers qu’elle serait prête à accepter .
La juge a écrit : [TRADUCTION] La demande des requérants visant une ordonnance obligeant l’intimée à se conformer aux dispositions de la convention est rejetée. Le droit de premier refus est invalide dans la mesure où il fixe le prix de vente à un maximum de 30 000 $. À tous autres égards, la disposition demeure en vigueur pour le cas où l’intimée recevrait une offre d’achat d’un tiers qu’elle est prête à accepter. Le droit de rachat est invalide et inopérant.
À la lumière de la preuve relative à la valeur marchande du bien-fonds, qui est de 148 000 $, j’ordonne aux requérants de payer à l’intimée des dépens de 4 000 $, débours compris. [par. 55 et 56] [20] Cette décision est portée en appel. Les appelants sollicitent de notre Cour sa modification, ainsi qu’une interprétation de la convention qui obligerait l’intimée à se conformer à ses dispositions et à clôturer l’opération immobilière de la façon prévue. III. Thèses des parties lors de l’audition de la requête A.
Les appelants [21] Les appelants ont formulé en termes contractuels la question à trancher : [TRADUCTION] « Quels sont les droits respectifs des parties sous le régime de la convention? » Ils soutenaient qu’aucune considération justiciable ne faisait obstacle à l’exécution rigoureuse de la convention, puisqu’elle constituait un accord distinct et indépendant conclu par des parties à statut égal. Ils invoquaient également le par. 60(1) de la
Loi sur les biens , L.R.N.-B. 1973, ch. P-19 (la Loi ). B. L’intimée [22] L’intimée considérait la convention comme une restriction d’aliénabilité inexécutoire. Elle soutenait que la convention était invalide parce qu’elle lui interdisait, alors que propriétaire en fief simple, de gérer et d’aliéner le bien-fonds librement et à son gré. [23] Elle avançait subsidiairement que la question ne pouvait être tranchée dans le cadre d’une requête en raison de contestations importantes des faits.
Elle affirmait en outre qu’une décision qui ordonnerait maintenant aux appelants de payer un prix inférieur à la juste valeur marchande du bien-fonds serait contraire aux principes de préclusion propriétale et d’enrichissement injustifié reconnus en equity. IV. Moyens d’appel [24] L’avis d’appel énonçait six moyens distincts, mais le mémoire des appelants les a condensés en ceux-ci : a. L’
article 60 de la
Loi sur les biens modifie-t-il la common law de sorte à empêcher l’application du principe d’interdiction des restrictions d’aliénabilité? b. La convention constituait-elle une « condition » de la vente, en ce sens qu’elle était nulle ab initio puisqu’elle constituait une restriction d’aliénabilité inadmissible, inconciliable avec un transfert en fief simple? IV. Norme de contrôle [25] Les questions de droit demandent un contrôle exercé selon la norme de la décision correcte, tandis que les questions de fait demandent un contrôle exercé selon la norme de l’erreur manifeste et dominante ( 666917 N.B. Inc. et autre c. Stairs Building
(2004) Ltd. , 2022 NBCA 22 ; Housen c. Nikolaisen , 2002 CSC 33 , [2002] 2 R.C.S. 235 ). [26] Une question mixte de droit et de fait demande un contrôle exercé selon la norme de l’erreur manifeste et
dominante, à moins de pouvoir isoler de l’ensemble une question de droit , auquel cas la norme devient celle de la décision correcte. Une question de droit pourra être isolée, notamment, dans les cas où l’on aura « appliqu[é] le mauvais principe ou néglig[é] un élément essentiel d’un critère juridique ou un facteur pertinent » ( Sattva Capital Corp. c. Creston Moly Corp. , 2014 CSC 53 , [2014] 2 R.C.S. 633 , par. 53 , arrêt dans lequel est cité King c. Operating Engineers Training Institute of Manitoba Inc. , 2011 MBCA 80 , [2011] M.J. No. 311 (QL) , par. 21 ; Algo Enterprises Ltd. c.
Repap New Brunswick Inc. , 2016 NBCA 35 , 450 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 238 , par. 18 ; Vautour et autre c. Sa Majesté la Reine du chef de la Province du Nouveau-Brunswick et autre , 2021 NBCA 4 , [2021] A.N.-B. n o 18 (QL) , par. 31 ). [27] Je conviens avec les appelants que la norme de contrôle, en ce qui a trait à l’application de l’art. 60 de la Loi , est celle de la décision correcte. Pour ce qui concerne la conclusion de la juge selon laquelle la convention constituait une « condition » de la vente dont résultait une restriction d’aliénabilité inadmissible, la norme est celle de la décision correcte également.
Il s’agissait à mon sens d’une question mixte de droit et de fait de laquelle une question de droit pouvait être isolée. V. Analyse [28] La convention visée porte deux clauses : un droit de premier refus et un droit de rachat. Nous avons vu que les conditions applicables à l’exercice de l’un ou l’autre droit sont les suivantes : [TRADUCTION]
a) Prix d’achat : Le prix d’achat sera de 10 000 $, plus toute dépense que les vendeurs auront supportée pour la rénovation du bien-fonds pendant qu’il leur appartenait, jusqu’à concurrence de 20 000 $. Seront compris dans le calcul des dépenses de rénovation tous débours des vendeurs, sans aucune compensation, toutefois, au
titre de salaires pour l’un ou l’autre des vendeurs. Les vendeurs fourniront des reçus pour la totalité des dépenses de rénovation réclamées. [29] La convention prévoyait deux scénarios distincts, mais la seule question que la juge saisie de la requête était appelée à trancher était celle du droit de premier refus. Ainsi, les observations qui suivent ne porteront que sur cette question. A. L’article 60 entrait-il en jeu? [30] Au dire des appelants, il ne fait aucun doute que l’art. 60 de la Loi opère le remplacement de principes de common law en matière de restriction d’aliénabilité. Texte de l’art. 60 : Purchase of reversionary interest 60
(1) No purchase made bona fide , and without fraud or unfair dealing, of any reversionary interest in real or personal estate shall be opened or set aside merely on the ground of undervalue. 60
(2) The word “purchase” in this
section includes every kind of contract, conveyance or assignment under or by which any beneficial interest in any kind of property may be acquired. Achat d’un droit de retour 60
(1) Aucun achat fait de bonne foi, sans fraude ni procédé déloyal, de tout droit de retour sur des biens réels ou personnels ne peut être révisé ou annulé pour le seul motif d’une sous-évaluation. 60
(2) Dans le présent article, le mot « achat » comprend toute sorte de contrat, transfert ou cession par lesquels il est possible d’acquérir un droit à
titre bénéficiaire sur toute sorte de bien. [31] L’application de l’art. 60 de la Loi exige ici que j’examine d’abord si un droit de premier refus constitue un droit de retour. La professeure Anne Warner La Forest traite de droit de retour dans Anger & Honsberger Law of Real Property (3 e éd., Toronto, Thomson Reuters Canada, 2021), ouvrage publié sous sa direction :
[TRADUCTION] La réversion est le domaine qui reste au concédant ayant concédé par acte unique – ou aux héritiers d’un testateur ayant légué par testament – un domaine dévolu moindre ou une succession de domaines dévolus moindres que le domaine qui lui est dévolu.
Elle est appelée réversion parce que la possession du bien-fonds retourne au concédant et à ses héritiers, ou à la succession du testateur, à la fin du domaine moindre ou du dernier domaine moindre. […] [§ 9:41] [32] La professeure La Forest ajoute : [TRADUCTION] Quoique plus d’un résidu puisse être créé par un même instrument, il ne peut y avoir qu’une seule réversion.
Par ailleurs, une réversion est toujours dévolue, car l’entrée en possession s’opère dès l’extinction des domaines moindres. […] [§9:42] [33] Les appelants soutiennent que l’art. 60 s’applique dans le cas présent, mais ils n’ont pu étayer cette assertion d’aucun texte de droit. [34] En l’espèce, le droit de premier refus ne peut être interprété comme un droit de retour. Il ne s’agit pas d’un intérêt dévolu. Les appelants ont transféré le bien-fonds à l’intimée et à son époux en fief simple absolu.
Ainsi que nous l’avons vu, la convention enregistrée après l’acte de transport stipule un droit de premier refus et un droit de rachat. Les appelants pouvaient réacquérir le bien-fonds si l’intimée décidait de le mettre en vente avant août 2024, ce qu’elle a fait. Si l’intimée n’avait pas décidé de vendre son bien-fonds ou si elle l’avait mis en vente après la date indiquée dans la convention, il n’aurait pas été permis aux appelants de le réacquérir en se fondant sur le droit de premier refus stipulé dans la convention. Le retour du bien-fonds aux appelants était donc possible, et non certain.
À mon avis, l’art. 60 ne s’applique pas et la juge saisie de la requête n’a pas commis d’erreur lorsqu’elle a conclu en ce sens. B. La convention constituait-elle une « condition » de la vente qui devait se révéler nulle ab initio puisqu’elle établissait une restriction d’aliénabilité ? [35] Si le droit de premier refus avait été stipulé dans l’acte qui transportait le bien-fonds à l’intimée et à son époux, il aurait vraisemblablement été invalide parce qu’il aurait formé une restriction d’aliénabilité imposée par les concédants, les appelants.
Le droit de premier refus était cependant inscrit non pas dans l’acte de transport, mais dans une convention séparée. L’intimée concessionnaire, qui est propriétaire du bien-fonds en fief simple, peut choisir d’aliéner ou de vendre son bien-fonds. Il reste que des situations existent, comme nous le verrons, où les droits de rachat ou de premier refus conférés par un document suivant immédiatement le transport d’un bien peuvent être tenus pour des restrictions d’aliénabilité s’ils ne sont pas raisonnables. [36] Dans un
article intitulé « Options, Rights of Repurchase and Rights of First Refusal as Contracts and as Interests in Land » (1991), 70:1 R. du B. can. 1, Paul M. Perell écrit : [TRADUCTION] […] la règle interdisant les restrictions d’aliénabilité ne s’applique pas à la personne qui est déjà propriétaire du bien-fonds et qui souhaite l’aliéner ou le vendre . Rien ne s’oppose à ce que cette personne convienne de la vente du bien-fonds à un acheteur donné ou concède des options ou des droits de premier refus.
Les conventions de cette nature restreignent l’aliénabilité, mais les restrictions ne sont pas attachées à la concession du bien-fonds. En d’autres termes, les restrictions sont indépendantes de toute concession et sont non pas imposées à un concessionnaire, mais négociées contractuellement par le concédant. Étant donné toutefois qu’un concédant peut être astreint à une restriction par contrat, le concessionnaire, qui deviendra le concédant suivant, peut-il contracter de la même façon? La réponse est oui.
Le droit distingue les « conditions » imposées dans un acte formaliste, qui peuvent être invalides si elles se révèlent incompatibles avec le domaine concédé, d’avec les « covenants », obligations contractuelles indépendantes dont la violation fonde à adjuger des dommages-intérêts. [Je souligne; p. 15] [37] Il fait également observer ce qui suit : [TRADUCTION] Dans sa forme plus complexe, le droit de rachat n’est pas utilisable immédiatement, mais tributaire de décisions ou de la conduite ou de la situation du nouveau propriétaire du bien-fonds. [p. 7]
[38] Dans sa décision, la juge saisie de la requête s’est penchée sur le concept de restriction d’aliénabilité : [TRADUCTION] Le principe d’interdiction des restrictions d’aliénabilité est un principe du droit des biens d’origine ancienne. La Cour d’appel de l’Ontario, dans Stephens c. Gulf Oil Canada Ltd. , parle de ses origines et invoque à ce sujet Coke upon Littleton (1832). Pour ne pas avoir à décrypter des textes écrits en vieil anglais, je me contenterai du bref
sommaire du principe qu’en a fait la Cour : [TRADUCTION] « Le pouvoir d’aliénation est un attribut indissociable du domaine en fief simple. Par conséquent, lorsqu’une concession ou un legs foncier en fief simple comporte une condition qui constitue une restriction absolue d’aliénabilité, cette condition est invalide parce qu’incompatible avec le domaine. » [par. 32] [39] Cependant, nous savons depuis Laurin c. Iron Ore Company of Canada , [1977] N.J.
No. 96 (QL) , qu’il n’en est pas toujours ainsi : [TRADUCTION] En résumé, les droits de rachat contenus dans un transfert ou créés immédiatement après les formalités de passation et de délivrance d’un transfert qui sont raisonnables et de la nature de droits que l’acheteur aurait pu accorder dans le cadre d’une opération commerciale indépendante sont des covenants, et la Cour ne s’immiscera pas davantage à leur égard que s’ils avaient été créés en dehors du transfert.
Les droits de rachat ainsi contenus ou créés qui ne sont pas raisonnables et de cette nature sont des conditions et, s’ils portent restriction d’aliénabilité de manière absolue ou substantielle, ils sont invalides. [Je souligne; par. 126] [40] La question qui se pose en l’espèce, donc, est celle de savoir si les droits de rachat que stipule la convention (les covenants) sont déraisonnables au point d’être, en réalité, des conditions déguisées sous la forme de covenants, de constituer une restriction d’aliénabilité et de s’avérer, par conséquent, invalides.
La juge saisie de la requête devait déterminer l’intention qu’avaient les parties lorsqu’elles ont convenu de l’opération et décider s’il était raisonnable, de la part de l’intimée et de son défunt époux, d’accepter les modalités de la convention. Il pourrait être utile de préciser ici le sens donné au terme « raisonnable » dans l’analyse à mener pour déterminer si la convention constituait une restriction absolue d’aliénabilité.
L’arrêt Laurin résume bien les principes applicables : [TRADUCTION] Le tribunal ne doit pas s’immiscer à l’égard de ces droits lorsqu’ils reposent sur une assise distincte de l’instrument au moyen duquel le
titre a été acquis et ne sont associés en rien à l’acquisition du titre, à moins que l’opération ait été oppressive ou inique. Cependant, lorsque l’acquisition du
titre et la constitution des covenants sont liées de sorte à ne pouvoir exister l’une sans l’autre, je pense que la question de la raisonnabilité entre en jeu. C’est pour cela que j’ai dit plus haut que notre Cour est saisie d’une question de fait. Si l’obligation conclue par l’acquéreur du
titre est raisonnable du point de vue du temps et du prix, le tribunal doit alors la considérer comme un covenant contracté librement par le concessionnaire dans le cadre d’une opération commerciale.
Si, au contraire, l’obligation n’est pas raisonnable du point de vue du temps et du prix, le tribunal doit alors la considérer comme une condition imposée par le concédant au concessionnaire, sans égard à la forme que prend la condition, et, si elle constitue une restriction d’aliénabilité, elle est invalide. [par. 122 à 125] [41] La juge saisie de la requête s’est fondée sur la seule valeur accrue du bien-fonds pour conclure que les droits de rachat n’étaient pas raisonnables.
Elle a écrit ce qui suit : [TRADUCTION] Comme il est mentionné dans Laurin , les « conditions » qui ne tiennent pas compte du marché ou des valeurs croissantes de l’immobilier et qui sont censées s’appliquer pendant une longue période sont des restrictions substantielles d’aliénabilité. Pourquoi un propriétaire foncier se mettrait-il à améliorer son bien-fonds, sachant qu’il ne pourra jamais le revendre pour plus que la somme nominale qu’il a payée? Le juge Goodridge dit, à ce propos :
[TRADUCTION] À mon avis, les options, droits de rachat, droits de préemption et autres droits du genre qui sont en réalité des conditions rattachées au
titre et qui, en plus d’être censés exiger du titulaire du
titre qu’il vende le bien-fonds à l’ancien propriétaire ou à son désignataire à un prix qui doit être calculé sans égard à la hausse du marché immobilier, sont conçus pour durer pendant longtemps, constituent des restrictions substantielles d’aliénabilité et sont invalides.
Je conclus donc que, comme l’engagement du demandeur n’est pas du genre d’engagement que, raisonnablement, il conclurait indépendamment de son acquisition du titre, il s’agit non pas d’un covenant, mais plutôt d’une condition à laquelle il s’est porté acquéreur du titre, et que cette condition constitue une restriction substantielle d’aliénabilité et est donc invalide. [par. 150 et 151] [par. 47] [42] Cependant, déterminer si les droits de rachat sont raisonnables en l’espèce ne peut s’appuyer strictement sur la valeur marchande du bien-fonds.
La juge saisie de la requête a décidé de ce qui était raisonnable sans prendre en considération les divers autres facteurs qui entraient en jeu lors de la passation de l’acte de transport et de la convention subséquente.
En l’espèce, l’appréciation de la raisonnabilité aurait dû tenir compte d’une multitude de circonstances, dont celles-ci : 1) il s’agissait d’un marché entre frères où l’un d’eux, en pratique, donnait à l’autre un bien-fonds; 2) le bien-fonds est immédiatement voisin du bien-fonds du frère concédant et la question de la proximité des bâtiments n’a pas été abordée; 3) le prix d’achat de 10 000 $ paraît correspondre au montant que les appelants ont payé pour la fosse septique; 4) l’intimée et son époux ont habité la maison quatre ans sans en fait payer de loyer; 5) l’intimée et son époux ont reçu à coût essentiellement nul une maison qui, si elle se délabrait, n’en était pas moins habitable; 6) il est plus que probable que les appelants n’auraient rien fait de semblable pour un étranger; 7) l’intimée et son époux ont conclu la convention librement. [43] Je suis en désaccord avec la juge saisie de la requête sur l’absence de contestation importante des faits.
Il est évident qu’il y a contestation importante des faits en ce qui concerne la raisonnabilité de la convention au moment de sa conclusion. La question n’aurait pas dû être tranchée dans le cadre d’une requête. Il aurait fallu convertir la requête, comme la
partie intimée l’a demandé subsidiairement lors de son audition, en une action. La juge a tiré des conclusions qui reposaient sur des faits contestés : [TRADUCTION] Sur le fondement de cette preuve et du fait que l’acte de transfert et la convention ont été passés quasi simultanément et enregistrés ensemble, je conclus en l’espèce que la convention passée le même jour, et vraisemblablement au même moment, que le transfert de
titre à l’intimée et à son mari n’est pas un contrat distinct, mais une « condition » de la vente à l’intimée et à son mari. Je conclus que le transfert du bien ne serait pas intervenu sans la convention contenant le droit de premier refus et le droit de rachat. […] La raisonnabilité s’applique aussi au second droit prévu dans la convention, savoir le droit de racheter le bien-fonds sur une durée de 30 ans, encore une fois au prix maximal de 30 000 $, sans égard aux changements dans la juste valeur marchande ni aux améliorations apportées au bien-fonds. [par. 44 et 46]
[44] La règle 38.09b) des Règles de procédure prévoit ce qui suit : 38.09 Disposition of Application On the hearing of an application, the court may (
b) where it is satisfied that there is a substantial dispute of fact, direct that the application proceed to trial or direct the trial of a particular issue or issues and, in either case, give such directions and impose such terms as may be just, subject to which the proceeding shall thereafter be treated as an action. 38.09 Décision À l’audition d’une requête, la cour peut
b) si elle constate qu’il y a une contestation importante des faits, prescrire l’instruction de la requête ou l’instruction d’une ou de plusieurs questions soulevées et, dans l’un ou l’autre cas, donner les directives et imposer les conditions qu’elle estime justes, après quoi l’instance sera conduite comme une action. [45] J’estime que la juge saisie de la requête n’a pas examiné de près toutes les circonstances de la formation de la convention, à considérer les lacunes de la preuve et l’importante contestation des faits en ce qui concerne la raisonnabilité de la convention.
Elle n’aurait pas dû statuer dans le cadre d’une requête, mais aurait plutôt dû convertir la requête en action. [46] Comme je l’ai mentionné, l’intimée a plaidé, lors de l’audition de la requête, les principes de préclusion propriétale et d’enrichissement injustifié. Puisqu’il n’a été question d’aucun de ces principes lors de l’audience d’appel ou dans le mémoire de l’intimée, il vaudra mieux les aborder à une autre occasion. VII.
Dispositif [47] Je suis d’avis d’accueillir l’appel ainsi que de prescrire la conversion de la requête en action et l’examen par la Cour du Banc de la Reine des questions de procédure qui pourront se poser. D’ordinaire, les dépens suivent le sort de l’instance, mais, parce que nous renvoyons l ’ affaire à la Cour du Banc de la Reine, chacune des parties acquittera ses propres frais.