2023 NBCA 32, 2023 NBCA 32
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 119-22-CA DARCY TUCKER HOLDINGS LTD. APPELLANT DARCY TUCKER HOLDINGS LTD. APPELANTE - and - - et - THE BANK OF NOVA SCOTIA and SCOTIA DEALER ADVANTAGE INC. RESPONDENTS LA BANQUE DE LA NOUVELLE ÉCOSSE et AVANTAGE CONCESSIONNAIRE SCOTIA INC. INTIMÉES Darcy Tucker Holdings Ltd. v. The Bank of Nova Scotia et al., 2023 NBCA 32 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Green The Honourable Justice Baird The Honourable Justice LeBlond Darcy Tucker Holdings Ltd. c.
La Banque de la Nouvelle-Écosse et autre, 2023 NBCA 32 CORAM : l’honorable juge Green l’honorable juge Baird l’honorable juge LeBlond Appeal from a decision of the Court of King’s Bench: October 25, 2022 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc du Roi : le 25 octobre 2022 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: 2022 NBKB 203 Décision frappée d’appel : 2022 NBBR 203 Preliminary or incidental proceedings: None Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : aucune Appeal heard: February 22, 2023 Appel entendu : le 22 février 2023 Judgment rendered: May 24, 2023 Jugement rendu : le 24 mai 2023
Reasons for judgment: The Honourable Justice LeBlond Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Green The Honourable Justice Baird Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: Romain J. F. Viel For the respondents: Anthony S. Richardson and Andrew R. Kinley Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge LeBlond Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Green l’honorable juge Baird Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appelante : Romain J. F. Viel Pour les intimées : Anthony S. Richardson et Andrew R. Kinley THE COURT The appeal is dismissed with one set of costs in the amount of $3,000 payable to the respondents.
LA COUR L’appel est rejeté et les intimées ont droit à une masse de dépens de 3 000 $. The judgment of the Court was delivered by LEBLOND, J.A. I.
Introduction [ 1 ] This appeal brings into play competing priority claims between a vehicle supplier (the appellant Darcy Tucker Holdings Ltd.), which consigned used vehicles for sale to a used car dealer (Auto Pride Ltd., doing business as DMR Auto Sales), and the third party (the respondents, The Bank of Nova Scotia and Scotia Dealer Advantage Inc. (the “Bank”)), which provided financing to the vehicles’ buyers. [ 2 ] DMR was to remit to Tucker the agreed upon price for each vehicle following a sale. It failed to do so with respect to four vehicles.
In each case, the Bank had a registered “purchase money security interest” (PMSI) within the meaning of the Personal Property Security Act , S.N.B. 1993, c. P-7.1 (the PPSA ). Tucker’s verbal arrangement with DMR was limited to retaining the certificate of registered ownership for each vehicle placed on consignment with DMR and to release the certificate to DMR only upon receiving payment of the agreed price for any vehicle. A DMR employee sold the four subject vehicles without paying Tucker. DMR later made an assignment in bankruptcy.
As a result, Tucker proceeded to seize the vehicles from the four buyers who had no knowledge of its interest. The Bank sued Tucker and, in furtherance of the priority it raised over the vehicles pursuant to the PPSA , it filed a motion in the court below seeking recovery of the vehicles by way of enforcement orders. The judge granted the motion, holding that Tucker had a security interest in the vehicles, which it ought to have registered under the PPSA if it wished to protect its interest. Its failure to do so resulted in the ruling in favour of the Bank on the priority issue.
Tucker appeals that ruling. [ 3 ] For the reasons set out below, while I am of the view Tucker did not have a security interest capable of being
registered under the PPSA , I would nonetheless dismiss the appeal for other reasons. II. Context [ 4 ] The legal issues raised in this case turn on properly defining the contractual relationship between Tucker and DMR. The record reveals they had a verbal arrangement. There is no dispute both companies, in the ordinary course of their respective businesses, had been involved with the sales of used cars for many years. The evidence discloses that, on or about June 30, 2021, Tucker purchased 17 vehicles from DMR’s lender, NextGear Capital. All the vehicles were already located on DMR’s lot.
The arrangement between them was that Tucker would retain the vehicles’ certificates of registered ownership until payment of the price DMR and Tucker had agreed upon for each vehicle was remitted to Tucker by DMR upon its sale. If the sale generated a higher price than the agreed upon price, DMR could keep the difference. Tucker’s registered ownership was not known to DMR’s customers and, certainly, was not obvious at DMR’s premises.
Another important fact, as will become apparent in the analysis below, is that, although Tucker was aware DMR took vehicles on consignment from other suppliers, there is no direct evidence whether its only creditor disclosed in the record on appeal, NextGear Capital, shared that knowledge. This is relevant to the definition of “commercial consignment” in the PPSA , as I discuss below. [ 5 ] If a customer requested financial assistance to purchase a vehicle, DMR arranged it through the Bank. A customer would sign a credit agreement on the Bank’s printed form, which DMR provided to the customer.
The credit agreement named the customer as the borrower/buyer and DMR as the seller. Tucker’s name did not appear anywhere in the credit agreement. There is no dispute the buying public was entitled to accept DMR had the full authority to sell the vehicles and to enter into these credit agreements. In fact, the credit agreement stated the vehicles were clear of all legal claims, and DMR represented to the Bank there had been a bona fide and unconditional sale of the vehicle to the customer/borrower. Every credit agreement was signed by a DMR representative and the customer.
The credit agreements were assigned by DMR to the Bank, which would then transfer the purchase funds to DMR. [ 6 ] The Bank took PMSIs on the vehicles, which were then registered through financing statements in the New Brunswick Personal Property Security Registry System in compliance with the PPSA . After failing to remit payment for the four subject vehicles to Tucker, DMR made an assignment in bankruptcy in December 2021. The following month, Tucker seized the four vehicles. The Bank demanded their return, citing its priority under the PMSIs, but Tucker refused to return them.
The Bank then commenced the underlying action, within which it filed a motion to seek a determination of the priorities between itself and Tucker. It also sought certain enforcement orders. As noted, the motion judge ruled in favour of the Bank. He found Tucker had a security interest in the vehicles, which it ought to have registered under the PPSA if it wanted to claim a priority to the Bank’s interest. However, the motion judge did not expressly state the nature of Tucker’s security interest, nor did he reference the definition of that term in the PPSA . III.
Grounds of Appeal [ 7 ] Tucker raised three discrete grounds in its Notice of Appeal. It asserts the motion judge erred: (
a) in his
interpretation of the term “security interest” under the PPSA ; (
b) in his
interpretation of s. 12(1) of the PPSA in finding DMR, as a debtor to Tucker, could convey a security interest to the Bank before Tucker transferred ownership of the vehicles to DMR; and (
c) in his
interpretation of s. 34(1) of the PPSA in finding a PMSI has priority over a non-debtor’s ownership of the subject property. [ 8 ] However, Tucker’s submission before the Court focussed on the first ground and its position with respect to the application of the common law doctrine of nemo dat quod non habet in support of its asserted superior interest in the vehicles over the Bank’s registered security interest. Essentially, Tucker argued DMR could not transfer an ownership interest in the vehicles to the buyers as only Tucker held that interest. IV.
Standard of Review [ 9 ] It is accepted by all that the grounds of appeal and the application of the nemo dat doctrine raise issues of statutory and common law
interpretation reviewable under the standard of correctness.
V. Analysis [ 10 ] Tucker maintains it had no “security interest” capable of being registered under the PPSA . As noted, that determination is contingent upon the precise nature of its relationship with DMR. In my opinion, notwithstanding Tucker’s argument to the contrary, there is no question the relationship was one of consignment; the question is whether the consignment was of the type contemplated by the PPSA , which would have obligated Tucker to register its interest to maintain a priority ahead of the Bank. [ 11 ] The PPSA defines a “security interest” as follows: “security interest” means (
a) an interest in personal property that secures payment or performance of an obligation , but does not include the interest of a seller who has shipped goods to a buyer under a negotiable bill of lading or its equivalent to the order of the seller or to the order of an agent of the seller, unless the parties have otherwise evidenced an intention to create or provide for a security interest in the goods, and (
b) the interest of (
i) a consignor who delivers goods to a consignee under a commercial consignment , (ii) a lessor under a lease for a term of more than one year, (iii) a transferee under a transfer of an account or a transfer of chattel paper, and (iv) a buyer under a sale of goods without a change of possession, that does not secure payment or performance of an obligation [.] [Emphasis added.] « sûreté » désigne
a) un intérêt dans des biens personnels qui garantit le paiement ou l’exécution d’une obligation , mais à l’exclusion de l’intérêt d’un vendeur qui a expédié des objets à un acheteur en vertu d’un connaissement négociable ou de son équivalent à l’ordre du vendeur ou de son mandataire, à moins que les parties n’aient autrement manifesté l’intention de créer ou de prévoir une sûreté sur les objets, et
b) l’intérêt (
i) d’un consignateur qui livre des objets à un consignataire en vertu d’une consignation commerciale , (ii) d’un bailleur en vertu d’un bail d’une durée supérieure à un an, (iii) d’un cessionnaire en vertu du transfert d’un compte ou du transfert d’un
titre de créance garanti, et (iv) d’un acheteur en vertu d’une vente d’objets sans dépossession, qui ne garantit pas le paiement ou l’exécution d’une obligation [.] [Les caractères gras sont de moi.]
[ 12 ] Two questions arise from the definition of security interest:
(1) Was Tucker’s interest in the vehicles intended to “secure payment or performance of an obligation”?; and
(2) If not, is Tucker’s interest that of a consignor under a “commercial consignment that does not secure payment or performance of an obligation”? This requires an examination of the notion of commercial consignment. [ 13 ] The PPSA defines a “commercial consignment” as follows: “ commercial consignment” means a consignment under which goods are delivered for sale, lease or other disposition to a consignee who, in the ordinary course of the consignee’s business, deals in goods of that description, by a consignor who , (
a) in the ordinary course of the consignor’s business, deals in goods of that description, and (
b) reserves an interest in the goods after they have been delivered, but does not include an agreement under which goods are delivered (
c) to an auctioneer for sale, or (
d) to a consignee for sale, lease or other disposition if the consignee is generally known to the creditors of the consignee to be selling or leasing goods of others [.] [Emphasis added.] « consignation commerciale » désigne une consignation en vertu de laquelle des objets sont livrés pour vente, bail ou autre alinéation à un consignataire qui traite des objets de cette description dans le cours normal de ses affaires, par un consignateur qui
a) traite également des objets de cette description dans le cours normal de ses affaires, et
b) se réserve un intérêt dans les objets après leur livraison, mais à l’exclusion d’un accord en vertu duquel des objets sont livrés
c) à un encanteur pour vente, ou
d) à un consignataire pour vente, bail ou autre alinéation, si les créanciers du consignataire savent en général que celui- ci vend ou donne à bail des objets d’autrui [.] [Les caractères gras sont de moi.] A. Securing payment or performance of an obligation [ 14 ] Is Tucker’s interest one which is intended to secure payment or performance of an obligation owed by DMR pursuant to the first portion of the definition of “security interest”? Indeed, the PPSA applies strictly to security interests and, if Tucker could not establish one, as defined, and then register it, it could not have availed itself of the PPSA ’s protection. [ 15 ] Although there is a paucity of judicial
interpretation on the subject, it is generally acknowledged that a true consignment arrangement (as opposed to a “commercial consignment,” as defined) would not normally be considered a security interest and, as a result, could not be registered under the PPSA . That is because a “true” consignment does not secure payment or performance of an obligation. [ 16 ] DMR’s obligation to remit the agreed upon purchase price to Tucker only arose upon the sale of a vehicle. In this context, DMR was clearly acting as Tucker’s agent with respect to the sales of these vehicles.
The issue becomes whether Tucker’s retention of the certificates of registered ownership is relevant once a sale has been concluded with a third party given the application of the principles of agency law. DMR, in the eyes of the buying public, had all the ostensible authority to transfer ownership of the vehicles, particularly where the buying public was not even aware of Tucker’s existence, let alone its alleged “retained interest” in the vehicles.
In that context, can the retention of the certificates of ownership by Tucker qualify as a “security interest” intended to secure payment of DMR’s obligation to remit the agreed upon price it had negotiated with Tucker such that it ought to have been registered? If not, does it nonetheless give Tucker priority over the Bank’s registered PMSI without Tucker having to register its interest under the PPSA , based on the common law principle of nemo dat ?
[17] The PPSA’s objectives are two-fold: (
a) To protect secured creditors who have complied with the requirements of the legislation; and (
b) To protect third parties from the risk posed by undisclosed “liens” on the assets of a seller, such as a consignee properly inpossession. [18] In the end, the PPSA is a “notice” registry to the public and, although common law and equity principles ortheories are preserved under it (s. 65), they are excluded if inconsistent therewith. If a PPSA rule covers an issue, common law or equityrules, such as nemo dat, cannot alter its application, nor the outcome of a priority dispute.
Otherwise, the PPSA’s goal of achievingcertainty and predictability would be defeated. [19] In “An Introduction to the New Brunswick Personal Property Security Act,” Professor Catherine Walsh, anauthority on personal property security law, discusses the difference between “true” consignments and “financing” consignments.Professor Walsh writes that a true consignment enables a supplier to offer goods for resale without transferring ownership to the vendor.Typically, title moves directly from the consignor as the owner to the ultimate purchaser with the consignee acting as the consignor’sagent.
All the consignee/agent acquires is the power to sell the goods and to retain the proceeds on behalf of the consignor. One of thecompelling indicators of a true consignment is the fact the consignee is not required to pay for the goods until they are sold; they mayalso return any unsold goods to the consignor. Indeed, the latter retains the right to repossess any unsold goods at any time. At all times,the consignor assumes the risk of a bad market.
As a result, a true consignment does not constitute a security agreement because there isno monetary or other obligation owing by the consignee that is intended to be secured by the goods as collateral (see Walsh, at p. 36).That is why a true consignment does not come within the meaning of “security interest.” Thus, the consignment agreement betweenTucker and DMR is not caught by the definition of “security interest.” B.
Was the Tucker/DMR arrangement a commercial consignment as defined? [20] In theory, Tucker would be a consignor as described in the first part of the definition of “commercialconsignment” (criteria a and b), but does the exception contained in paragraph (
d) of the definition apply to exclude the subjectarrangement? [21] The evidence discloses that Tucker was aware DMR sold vehicles on consignment from other suppliers.However, the exception in the definition only applies if DMR’s creditors also held that general knowledge. Contrary to its assertion inthe second ground of appeal, Tucker was not a creditor of DMR. The only such creditor identified in the record is NextGear Capital,which knew DMR was selling the goods of others.
It follows, and the inference can logically be drawn, that NextGear Capital, alongwith any other creditor of DMR, would have known DMR dealt with vehicles on consignment by other parties given the number of yearsit had been in operation. There is nothing in the record to suggest otherwise. As a result, since DMR was generally known to its creditorsto be selling goods of others, the agreement between Tucker and DMR would be excluded from the definition of “commercialconsignment.” As a result, it could not be registered under the PPSA. C.
Does the common law doctrine of nemo dat apply to preserve a priority interest in Tucker? [22] Tucker argues the common law doctrine of nemo dat quod non habet applies to defeat the Bank’s priority. Itasserts DMR could not convey title it did not have. Therefore, it effectively argues DMR was unable to convey sufficient title for theBank to secure its interest through a PMSI until Tucker assigned the certificates of ownership to DMR. However, as G.H.L.
Fridmanexplains in Sale of Goods in Canada, 6th ed. at p. 109, the nemo dat doctrine does not apply if the owner is precluded by his conductfrom denying the seller’s authority to sell. In this case, Tucker is estopped from raising its registered ownership where it provided DMRwith the authority to act as its agent.
As noted, DMR had all the indicia required to establish it had the right to sell the vehicles. [23] Tucker’s only basis for arguing its priority are the certificates of registered ownership it placed into evidence.Courts, including ours, have held these certificates are not documents of title (see Whelton v. Mercier et al., 2004 NBCA 83, 277 N.B.R.(2d) 251; Bourgeois v. Economical Mutual Insurance Company, 2018 NBQB 85, [2018] N.B.J. No. 118 (QL); Thériault v. Ouellette(1991), (NB CA), 121 N.B.R. (2d) 235 [1991] N.B.J. No. 917 (QL) (C.A.)).
[ 24 ] Moreover, the vehicle ownership certificates in the record state the following: “This information describes the current registered ownership party and may not necessarily represent the legal ownership of the vehicle. This document is not a vehicle registration certificate and does not authorize the vehicle owner to operate the vehicle on the road” (emphasis added). I would note this is entirely consistent with the definition of “owner” in the Motor Vehicle Act , R.S.N.B. 1973, c.
M-17 , which describes an owner as the legal or registered owner unless the vehicle is the subject of a contract (i.e. the credit agreements) by which another person has possession and may acquire legal title thereto, in which case that person is the true owner while in possession. [ 25 ] In Durham v. Asser et al. , [1968] N.S.J. No. 16 (QL) , the Nova Scotia Appeal Division held, in circumstances analogous to the present ones, a certificate of registration was of no consequence. […] It is of no consequence here that Asser retained possession of the certificate of registration.
There is no legislation in this Province which gives to a certificate of registration the peculiar position occupied by a “log- book”, and until there is such legislation I decline to give to a certificate of registration a greater authority than is conferred upon it by the Motor Vehicle Act […] [para. 39] [ 26 ] As noted, this is equally the case in New Brunswick. The Motor Vehicle Act creates an administrative system for the registration of vehicles. Non-compliance with the Act only results in offences that may cause the registration of a vehicle to be suspended or revoked.
The Act does not invalidate an otherwise lawful sale of a vehicle if the registration was in the name of another party prior to the sale. [ 27 ] Accordingly, the Motor Vehicle Act does not impose a positive obligation on purchasers and financing companies to ensure the seller can sell a vehicle.
These matters are regulated by the PPSA , Sale of Goods Act , R.S.N.B. 2006, c. 110, and Factors and Agents Act , R.S.N.B. 2011, c. 153 , which do not impose such an obligation. [ 28 ] If the Bank were required to obtain registrations or confirmations of transfer, this would involve multiple statutory regimes and registration systems and would add costs to lenders and cause uncertainty in priorities because an alleged owner, like Tucker, might surface to trigger an expensive priority dispute that would otherwise not exist under the single and comprehensive PPSA regime. [ 29 ] Tucker’s position assumes that the Bank and its customers had an obligation to determine the “true” ownership of the vehicle before a purchase or a loan could occur.
In Traders Group Ltd. v. Gouthro , [1969] N.S.J. No. 82 (QL) , the Nova Scotia Supreme Court held the law does not impose such an obligation, as it would create commercial uncertainty due to the difficulty and lack of practicality in ascertaining the ownership of a vehicle. While the decision predates the PPSA , it deals with the same principles under the Nova Scotia Sale of Goods Act .
The court held: As the use of security documents creating liens against personal property increased, legislation was passed in most common law jurisdictions to control this type of agreement, and in particular to protect bona fide purchasers of goods from regular traders and persons permitted to retain possession of goods without actual ownership. In this Province this legislation is now contained in the provisions of the Sale of Goods Act , which deal with the transfer of title from persons who are not the owner of goods, namely, sections 23 - 27 ; and in the Factors Act in
section 2, dealing with dispositions by mercantile agents and in
section 5 of the Conditional Sales Act , dealing with transfers to a trader and transfers by him in the course of his business. If a purchaser can bring himself within the legislative situations established for his protection, it is unnecessary for him to check the title of his vendor to the goods being sold or for outstanding encumbrances against them.
These rules were developed to create order in the world of commerce and it is necessary that they should be clearly understood by those engaged in business as well as the members of the public. [ 30 ] The registration system under the New Brunswick Motor Vehicle Act does not address the ostensible ownership problem. The Motor Vehicle Act does not invalidate clear title received by operation of the Sale of Goods Act or the Factors and Agents Act . [ 31 ]
Section 28 of the Sale of Goods Act codifies the nemo dat principle subject to two specified exceptions. The first is the “authority or with the consent of the owner” exception. The second is the “estoppel” exception based on the “owner’s conduct.” [ 32 ] In Durham , the owner of a car delivered it to a dealer “for resale” at a stated price. The dealer sold the car at a
higher price to a purchaser, which was within the express or implied authority of the dealer. The Nova Scotia Court of Appeal found that the original owner of the vehicle was bound, and title to the car had passed to the purchaser (paras. 15-19). [ 33 ] The “ estoppel ” exception under s. 28 of the Sale of Goods Act provides that an owner will be estopped from raising its ownership interest where the seller has been cloaked with the appearance of acting as the owner’s agent. This extends to cases of apparent or ostensible ownership on the part of the seller of the goods based on the conduct of the owner.
Mere possession of the goods in question is insufficient. The seller must be armed with some indicia – i.e. indicia of ownership – which make it appear they are the owner or have the right to sell the goods. [ 34 ]
Section 29 (
a) of the Sale of Goods Act specifically states that Act does not affect the provisions of the Factors and Agents Act . Under the Factors and Agents Act , a principal may be deprived of title to goods through a disposition by an agent ( ss. 3 and 4 ). The purpose of the Factors and Agents Act is to protect purchasers from agents who have been put in the position of being able to deal with goods as if they had the authority to do so due to some conscious act of the real owner (see Akzact Imports & Amusement Inc v.
Arsenault , 2011 NBQB 286 , 379 N.B.R. (2d) 182, at para. 32 , discussed below). [ 35 ] A case whose facts are akin to those of this case was Zerebeski v. Royal Bank of Canada , [1998] S.J. No. 533 (QL) . There, the wife was the registered owner of a vehicle. Her husband delivered it to a third party with the authorization to sell it. The vehicle was sold to a buyer with financing from a bank covered by security. The wife later repossessed the vehicle and argued the bank’s security was invalid because the third-party vendor had no title to pass to the purchaser.
Her claim was rejected because of the apparent agency which vested in the third-party seller. [ 36 ] In my view, the legislation which governs the relationship between Tucker and DMR is the Factors and Agents Act . Although the motion judge did not specifically find that DMR was Tucker’s mercantile agent, in my opinion, it clearly qualifies as a “mercantile agent,” as defined by that Act as having authority to sell goods of another in the customary course of business. I am supported in this view by s. 3 of that Act , which deals with the legal effect of the sale of goods by a mercantile agent.
It reads: Sale of goods by mercantile agents 3 Subject to the provisions of this Act, when a mercantile agent is in possession of goods or of the document of title to goods with the consent of the owner, a sale , pledge or other disposition of the goods made by the agent when acting in the ordinary course of business of a mercantile agent shall be as valid as if the agent were expressly authorized by the owner of the goods to make the disposition, if the person taking under the disposition acts in good faith and, at the time of the disposition, does not have notice that the person making the disposition does not have authority to make the disposition. [Emphasis added.] Vente de marchandises par un agent de commerce 3 Lorsqu’un agent de commerce est en possession de marchandises ou du
titre documentaire de marchandises avec le consentement de leur propriétaire, la vente , la mise en gage ou toute autre aliénation effectuée dans le cours normal de l’activité d’un agent de commerce a la même validité, sous réserve des dispositions de la présente loi, que s’il y avait été expressément autorisé par le propriétaire, pour autant que l’aliénataire agisse de bonne foi et sans avoir connaissance, au moment de l’aliénation, du défaut d’autorisation de l’aliénateur. [Les caractères gras sont de moi.] [ 37 ] The above provision codifies the principles of agency law and covers the type of relationship at play between Tucker and DMR.
Moreover, s. 70 of the PPSA states that consumer protection legislation prevails over the PPSA . To the extent s. 3 of the Factors and Agents Act provides protection to consumers, it prevails. [ 38 ] In Akzact Imports & Amusement Inc. , the plaintiff, a licensed car dealer, had an arrangement with Mr. Thebeau, who operated a car dealership. The plaintiff would import used automobiles, which Mr. Thebeau sold to buyers at his lot. The purchasers only dealt with Mr. Thebeau and had no knowledge of the plaintiff’s role in obtaining vehicles. [ 39 ] The defendant Arsenault approached Mr.
Thebeau about purchasing a Toyota Avalon. The plaintiff purchased and imported a 2010 Toyota Avalon. The plaintiff delivered the Avalon to Mr. Thebeau. The defendant Arsenault paid Mr.
Thebeau for the Avalon and received it, having no knowledge that title to the Avalon was still with the plaintiff. The plaintiff was notpaid for the Avalon and claimed an ownership interest. He brought an action seeking recovery of the Avalon. [40] The New Brunswick Court of Queen’s Bench (as it then was) dismissed the plaintiff’s action anddirected that the Avalon be registered in the defendant Arsenault’s name because clear title had passed to him pursuant to s. 3 (then s. 2)of the Factors and Agents Act. The court reached this conclusion for the following reasons: (
a) Mr. Thebeau was a mercantile agent; (b)he was in possession of the Avalon with the plaintiff’s consent; (
c) he sold the Avalon in the ordinary course of his business as amercantile agent; (
d) the defendant Arsenault was not aware that Mr. Thebeau did not have authority to sell the Avalon; and (
e) thedefendant Arsenault bought the Avalon in good faith. [41] The Court of Appeal for Ontario reached a similar conclusion in M.J. Jones Inc. v. Henry, (ON CA), [2002] O.J. No. 967 (QL) (C.A.), in respect of a boat. The Court of Appeal noted that the purchaser in that casehad no obligation to investigate whether authority was given for the sale of the boat (para. 19). [42] Finally, in St. John v. Horvat, [1994] B.C.J. No. 655 (QL) (C.A.), the respondent delivered a van onconsignment to a broker with instructions to contact her when a firm offer was made (paras. 39-41).
The broker sold the van to theappellant without the respondent’s authorization and registered a forged ownership. The Court of Appeal for British Columbia held thatthe sale was conducted in the broker’s ordinary course of business as a mercantile agent and that the appellant was entitled to protectionunder the then s. 58(1) of British Columbia’s Sale of Goods Act (equivalent to s. 3 of the New Brunswick Factors and Agents Act). [43] In my view, it follows that the buyers in this case took title free of Tucker’s alleged ownershipinterest pursuant to s. 3 of the Factors and Agents Act for the following reasons: (
a) DMR was a mercantile agent; (
b) DMR was inpossession of the vehicles with Tucker’s consent; (
c) DMR sold the vehicles in the ordinary course of business; (
d) the buyers naturallybelieved that DMR had the authority to sell the vehicles and transfer title; and (
e) the customers bought the vehicles in good faith. [44] Although Tucker might have been duped by DMR, the law is clear that Tucker must bear the loss,subject to whatever recovery it can obtain from DMR, because it chose to enter into a relationship of mercantile agency with DMR. Asstated by the Court of Appeal for British Columbia in St. John: This case raises a difficult question: Which of two innocent parties should bear the loss occasioned by E & E’s conduct?
The law ofBritish Columbia is that where there are two innocent parties, and all of the requirements of s. 58 are satisfied, the party who chose toleave his or her goods in the possession of the mercantile agent should bear the loss. The respondent freely chose to deliver her van intothe possession of E & E so that E & E could solicit offers from prospective purchasers.
She chose the agent; thus, it is appropriate thatshe bear the loss occasioned by E & E’s conduct, and that the appellant be allowed to keep the van. [para. 45] [45] Fridman also deals with sales by mercantile agents and confirms there are four requirements which must bemet to displace an argument of nemo dat: (1) the person purporting to sell must be a mercantile agent; (2) they must be in possession; (3)the possession must be with the consent of the owner; and (4) the sale must be by them in the ordinary course of business as a mercantileagent (p. 113).
All four elements are present in this case. [46] In Dartmouth Dodge Chrysler v. Scott Slipp Nissan et al, 2002 NSSC 83, [2002] N.S.J.
No. 167 (QL), leave toappeal refused 2003 NSCA 98, the Nova Scotia Supreme Court held that, even when the mercantile agent lacked possession of thevehicle’s certificate of registration which remained with the plaintiff original owner, a sale by that agent to a third party was a sale by theagent in the ordinary course of business so as to pass good title to the third party buyer. [47] All of this assumes the third-party buyers acted in good faith when purchasing, and there is nothing in therecord before the Court in this case to suggest otherwise.
As a result, Tucker had no basis in law to repossess the subject vehicles.Moreover, I conclude the Bank’s PMSI security has priority over any interest Tucker might have. VI. Disposition
[ 48 ] I would therefore dismiss the appeal and confirm the Bank’s priority for the reasons set forth above. I would award one set of cost on appeal in the amount of $3,000 payable by Tucker to the Respondents. Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par LE JUGE LEBLOND II.
Introduction [1] Le présent appel fait intervenir l’ordre de priorité des créances concurrentes d’une fournisseuse de véhicules (l’appelante Darcy Tucker Holdings Ltd.), qui consignait des véhicules d’occasion à vendre à une vendeuse de voitures d’occasion (Auto Pride Ltd., faisant affaire sous l’appellation commerciale DMR Auto Sales), et du tiers (les intimées, La Banque de Nouvelle-Écosse et Avantage Concessionnaire Scotia Inc. (la Banque)), qui offrait du financement aux acheteurs des véhicules. [2] DMR devait verser à Tucker le prix convenu pour chacun des véhicules après sa vente.
Elle a omis de le faire pour quatre véhicules. Pour chacun des véhicules, la Banque détenait une « sûreté en garantie du prix d’achat » enregistrée, au sens de ce terme défini dans la
Loi sur les sûretés relatives aux biens personnels , L.N.-B. 1993, ch. P-7.1 (la Loi ). L’entente verbale conclue par Tucker avec DMR se limitait à la conservation du certificat de propriété pour chacun des véhicules en consignation chez DMR et à la remise du certificat à DMR seulement à la réception du paiement du prix convenu pour le véhicule. Un employé de DMR a vendu les quatre véhicules en question sans payer Tucker. DMR a par la suite fait une cession en faillite. Par conséquent, Tucker a procédé à la saisie des véhicules des quatre acheteurs qui n’avaient pas connaissance de son intérêt.
La Banque a poursuivi Tucker et, sur le fondement de la priorité qu’elle invoquait sur les véhicules au
titre de la Loi , elle a déposé une motion devant le tribunal d’instance inférieure sollicitant le recouvrement des véhicules par voie d’ordonnances d’exécution. Le juge a accueilli la motion, soutenant que Tucker détenait une sûreté sur les véhicules, sûreté qu’elle aurait dû enregistrer sous le régime de la Loi si elle souhaitait protéger son intérêt. Son omission de le faire a conduit à la décision en faveur de la Banque sur la question de la priorité.
Tucker interjette appel de cette décision. [3] Pour les motifs qui suivent, bien que je sois d’avis que Tucker ne détenait pas de sûreté pouvant être enregistrée sous le régime de la Loi , je rejetterais quand même l’appel pour d’autres motifs. II. Contexte [4] Les questions juridiques soulevées dans la présente affaire reposent sur la définition qui s’impose de la relation contractuelle entre Tucker et DMR. Le dossier révèle qu’elles avaient conclu une entente verbale.
Il n’est pas contesté que les deux entreprises, dans le cours normal de leurs affaires respectives, participaient à la vente de voitures d’occasion depuis de nombreuses années. Il ressort de la preuve que, le 30 juin 2021 ou vers cette date, Tucker a acheté 17 véhicules de la prêteuse de DMR, NextGear Capital. Tous les véhicules se trouvaient déjà sur le lot de DMR. Selon l’entente conclue, Tucker conserverait les certificats de propriété des véhicules jusqu’à ce que DMR lui verse le prix dont elles avaient convenu pour chacun des véhicules après sa vente.
Si la vente générait un prix plus élevé que celui convenu, DMR pouvait garder la différence. Le fait que Tucker était la propriétaire inscrite n’était pas connu des clients de DMR et, certes, n’était pas clairement indiqué dans les locaux de DMR. Un autre fait important, comme on le verra dans l’analyse ci-dessous, est que, bien que Tucker fût au courant que DMR prenait des véhicules en consignation d’autres fournisseurs, il n’y a aucune preuve directe indiquant que sa seule créancière inscrite au dossier en appel, NextGear Capital, avait connaissance de ce fait.
Cela est pertinent quant à la définition de « consignation commerciale » prévue dans la Loi , que j’aborderai ci-dessous. [5] Si un client demandait du soutien financier pour l’achat d’un véhicule, DMR faisait les arrangements nécessaires auprès de la Banque. Le client signait une convention de crédit sur le formulaire imprimé de la Banque, que DMR fournissait
au client. Dans la convention de crédit, le client était appelé emprunteur/acheteur et DMR, vendeuse. Le nom de Tucker n’apparaissait nulle part dans la convention de crédit. Il n’est pas contesté que les acheteurs étaient en droit d’accepter que DMR fût pleinement autorisée à vendre les véhicules et à conclure ces conventions de crédit. D’ailleurs, la convention de crédit indiquait que les véhicules étaient libres de toutes réclamations en droit et DMR déclarait à la Banque qu’il y avait eu une vente inconditionnelle du véhicule au client/emprunteur effectuée de bonne foi.
Chaque convention de crédit était signée par un représentant de DMR et le client. DMR cédait les conventions de crédit à la Banque, qui transférait ensuite les fonds d’achat à DMR. [6] La Banque prenait des sûretés en garantie du prix d’achat sur les véhicules, lesquelles étaient ensuite enregistrées sous forme d’états de financement dans le Réseau d’enregistrement des biens personnels du Nouveau-Brunswick conformément à la Loi . Après avoir omis de verser à Tucker le paiement pour les quatre véhicules en question, DMR a fait une cession en faillite en décembre 2021.
Le mois suivant, Tucker a saisi les quatre véhicules. La Banque a demandé que les véhicules soient retournés, invoquant sa priorité au
titre des sûretés en garantie du prix d’achat, mais Tucker a refusé de les retourner. La Banque a ensuite intenté l’action sous-jacente, dans le cadre de laquelle elle a déposé une motion en détermination de l’ordre de priorité de ses intérêts à elle et de ceux de Tucker. Elle a aussi sollicité certaines ordonnances d’exécution. Comme il a été indiqué, le juge saisi de la motion a tranché en faveur de la Banque. Il a conclu que Tucker détenait une sûreté sur les véhicules, sûreté qu’elle aurait dû enregistrer sous le régime de la Loi si elle voulait invoquer sa priorité sur l’intérêt de la Banque.
Toutefois, le juge saisi de la motion n’a pas expressément précisé la nature de la sûreté de Tucker ni fait référence à la définition de ce terme prévue dans la Loi . III. Moyens d’appel [7] Tucker invoque trois moyens distincts dans son avis d’appel. Elle soutient que le juge saisi de la motion a commis une erreur :
a) dans son interprétation du terme « sûreté » prévu dans la Loi ;
b) dans son interprétation du par. 12(1) de la Loi en concluant que DMR, à
titre de débitrice de Tucker, pouvait céder une sûreté à la Banque avant que Tucker n’ait transféré la propriété des véhicules à DMR;
c) dans son interprétation du par. 34(1) de la Loi en concluant qu’une sûreté en garantie du prix d’achat avait priorité sur la propriété d’un non-débiteur sur le bien visé. [8] Toutefois, l’argument de Tucker présenté à la Cour se concentre sur le premier moyen et sa position en ce qui concerne l’application de la doctrine de common law nemo dat quod non habet à l’appui de son prétendu intérêt supérieur dans les véhicules par rapport à la sûreté enregistrée de la Banque.
Essentiellement, Tucker a soutenu que DMR ne pouvait transférer un intérêt propriétal dans les véhicules aux acheteurs puisque seul Tucker détenait cet intérêt. IV. Norme de contrôle [9] Tous conviennent que les moyens d’appel et l’application de la doctrine nemo dat soulèvent des questions d’interprétation des lois et de la common law pouvant être examinées selon la norme de la décision correcte. V. Analyse [10] Tucker soutient qu’elle ne détient aucune « sûreté » pouvant être enregistrée sous le régime de la Loi . Comme il a été mentionné, cette détermination dépend de la nature précise de sa relation avec DMR.
À mon avis, malgré la prétention contraire de Tucker, il ne fait aucun doute que la relation était une relation de consignation; la question est de savoir si la consignation était du type visé par la Loi , ce qui aurait obligé Tucker à enregistrer son intérêt afin de maintenir sa priorité par rapport à la Banque. [11] La Loi définit ainsi le terme « sûreté » :
“security interest” means (
a) an interest in personal property that secures payment or performance of an obligation , but does not include the interest of a seller who has shipped goods to a buyer under a negotiable bill of lading or its equivalent to the order of the seller or to the order of an agent of the seller, unless the parties have otherwise evidenced an intention to create or provide for a security interest in the goods, and (
b) the interest of (
i) a consignor who delivers goods to a consignee under a commercial consignment , (ii) a lessor under a lease for a term of more than one year, (iii) a transferee under a transfer of an account or a transfer of chattel paper, and (iv) a buyer under a sale of goods without a change of possession, that does not secure payment or performance of an obligation [.] [Emphasis added.] « sûreté » désigne
a) un intérêt dans des biens personnels qui garantit le paiement ou l’exécution d’une obligation , mais à l’exclusion de l’intérêt d’un vendeur qui a expédié des objets à un acheteur en vertu d’un connaissement négociable ou de son équivalent à l’ordre du vendeur ou de son mandataire, à moins que les parties n’aient autrement manifesté l’intention de créer ou de prévoir une sûreté sur les objets, et
b) l’intérêt (
i) d’un consignateur qui livre des objets à un consignataire en vertu d’une consignation commerciale , (ii) d’un bailleur en vertu d’un bail d’une durée supérieure à un an, (iii) d’un cessionnaire en vertu du transfert d’un compte ou du transfert d’un
titre de créance garanti, et (iv) d’un acheteur en vertu d’une vente d’objets sans dépossession, qui ne garantit pas le paiement ou l’exécution d’une obligation [.] [Les caractères gras sont de moi.] [12]
La définition de sûreté soulève deux questions :
(1) L’intérêt de Tucker dans les véhicules visait-il à « garanti[r] le paiement ou l’exécution d’une obligation »?;
(2) Sinon, l’intérêt de Tucker est-il celui d’un consignateur qui découle d’une « consignation commerciale […] qui ne garantit pas le paiement ou l’exécution d’une obligation »? Pour trancher ces questions, il faut examiner la notion de consignation commerciale. [13] La Loi définit ainsi le terme « consignation commerciale » :
“ commercial consignment” means a consignment under which goods are delivered for sale, lease or other disposition to a consignee who, in the ordinary course of the consignee’s business, deals in goods of that description, by a consignor who , (
a) in the ordinary course of the consignor’s business, deals in goods of that description, and (
b) reserves an interest in the goods after they have been delivered, but does not include an agreement under which goods are delivered (
c) to an auctioneer for sale, or (
d) to a consignee for sale, lease or other disposition if the consignee is generally known to the creditors of the consignee to be selling or leasing goods of others [.] [Emphasis added.] « consignation commerciale » désigne une consignation en vertu de laquelle des objets sont livrés pour vente, bail ou autre alinéation à un consignataire qui traite des objets de cette description dans le cours normal de ses affaires, par un consignateur qui
a) traite également des objets de cette description dans le cours normal de ses affaires, et
b) se réserve un intérêt dans les objets après leur livraison, mais à l’exclusion d’un accord en vertu duquel des objets sont livrés
c) à un encanteur pour vente, ou
d) à un consignataire pour vente, bail ou autre alinéation, si les créanciers du consignataire savent en général que celui- ci vend ou donne à bail des objets d’autrui [.] [Les caractères gras sont de moi.] A. Garantir le paiement ou l’exécution d’une obligation [14] L’intérêt de Tucker est-il un intérêt visant à garantir le paiement ou l’exécution d’une obligation de DMR découlant de la première
partie de la définition de « sûreté »? En effet, la Loi s’applique strictement aux sûretés et, si Tucker ne pouvait en établir une, au sens de la Loi , puis l’enregistrer, elle ne pouvait se prévaloir de la protection offerte par la Loi . [15] Bien qu’il y ait très peu d’interprétation judiciaire sur le sujet, il est généralement reconnu qu’une entente de consignation véritable (par opposition à une « consignation commerciale », au sens défini dans la Loi ) ne serait habituellement pas considérée comme une sûreté et, par conséquent, ne pourrait être enregistrée sous le régime de la Loi .
Cela s’explique du fait qu’une consignation [TRADUCTION] « véritable » ne garantit pas le paiement ou l’exécution d’une obligation. [16] L’obligation de DMR de verser à Tucker le prix d’achat convenu ne prenait naissance que lorsqu’un véhicule était vendu. Dans ce contexte, DMR agissait manifestement à
titre de mandataire de Tucker quant à la vente des véhicules en question. La question qui se pose est de savoir si la conservation par Tucker des certificats de propriété est pertinente après qu’une vente a été conclue avec un tiers compte tenu de l’application des principes du droit des mandats. DMR, aux yeux du public acheteur, avait l’autorité apparente pour transférer la propriété des véhicules, particulièrement lorsque le public acheteur n’était même pas au courant de l’existence de Tucker, encore moins de son prétendu [TRADUCTION] « intérêt conservé » dans les véhicules.
Dans ce contexte, la conservation par Tucker des certificats de propriété peut-elle être qualifiée de « sûreté » visant à garantir le paiement de l’obligation de DMR de verser le prix convenu qu’elle avait négocié avec Tucker de sorte qu’elle aurait dû être enregistrée? Sinon, donne-t-elle quand même priorité à Tucker sur la sûreté en garantie du prix d’achat enregistrée de la Banque sans que Tucker ait à enregistrer son intérêt sous le régime de la Loi , compte tenu du principe de common law nemo dat ? [17] La Loi a deux objectifs :
a) protéger les créanciers garantis qui ont respecté les exigences de la loi;
b) protéger les tiers du risque que posent les « privilèges » occultes sur l’actif d’un vendeur, comme un consignataire légitimement enpossession de l’actif. [18] Au bout du compte, la Loi est un réseau d’enregistrement qui donne des « avis » au public et, bien que lesprincipes ou les théories de common law et d’equity sont maintenus par celle-ci (art. 65), ils sont exclus en cas d’incompatibilité. Si unerègle découlant de la Loi couvre une question, les règles de common law ou d’equity, tel que le principe nemo dat, ne peuvent modifierson application ni l’issue d’un litige en matière de priorité.
Sinon, cela irait à l’encontre de l’objectif de la Loi visant à assurer la certitudeet la prévisibilité. [19] Dans son ouvrage intitulé An Introduction to the New Brunswick Personal Property Security Act, laprofesseure Catherine Walsh, une experte en matière de droit des sûretés mobilières, traite de la différence entre les consignations[TRADUCTION] « véritables » et les consignations [TRADUCTION] « de financement ». La professeure Walsh déclare qu’uneconsignation véritable permet à un fournisseur d’offrir des objets pour la revente sans en transférer la propriété au vendeur.Généralement, le
titre est transféré directement du consignateur à
titre de propriétaire au dernier acheteur, le consignataire agissant à titrede mandataire du consignateur. Tout ce que le consignataire/mandataire acquiert est le pouvoir de vendre les objets et de conserver leproduit pour le compte du consignateur. L’un des indicateurs probants d’une consignation véritable est le fait que le consignataire n’estpas tenu de payer pour les objets avant qu’ils aient été vendus; il peut aussi retourner tout objet non vendu au consignateur. En effet, cedernier conserve le droit de reprendre possession de tout objet non vendu à quelque moment que ce soit.
Le consignateur assume toujoursle risque d’un mauvais marché. Par conséquent, une consignation véritable ne constitue pas un contrat de sûreté parce que leconsignataire n’a aucune dette monétaire ni autre obligation que l’on entend être garantie par les biens grevés (voir Walsh, p. 36). C’estpourquoi une consignation véritable n’est pas visée par le terme « sûreté ». Par conséquent, l’entente de consignation conclue entreTucker et DMR n’est pas visée par la définition de « sûreté ». B.
L’entente conclue entre Tucker et DMR constituait-elle une consignation commerciale au sens défini? [20] En théorie, Tucker serait un consignateur tel que décrit dans la première
partie de la définition de« consignation commerciale » (critères
a) et b)), mais est-ce que l’exception contenue à l’alinéa d) de la définition a pour effet d’exclurel’entente visée? [21] La preuve révèle que Tucker savait que DMR vendait des véhicules qu’elle détenait en consignation d’autresfournisseurs. Toutefois, l’exception contenue dans la définition ne s’applique que si les créanciers de DMR avaient aussi uneconnaissance générale de ce fait. Contrairement à ce qu’elle affirme dans son deuxième moyen d’appel, Tucker n’était pas une créancièrede DMR. La seule créancière indiquée dans le dossier est NextGear Capital, qui savait que DMR vendait les objets d’autrui.
Il s’ensuit, etil peut logiquement être inféré, que NextGear Capital, ainsi que tout autre créancier de DMR, aurait eu connaissance du fait que DMRvendait des véhicules qu’elle détenait en consignation d’autres parties compte tenu du nombre d’années depuis lesquelles elle exerçaitses activités. Rien dans le dossier ne permet de conclure autrement. Par conséquent, puisque les créanciers de DMR savaient de façongénérale qu’elle vendait les objets d’autrui, l’entente conclue entre Tucker et DMR serait exclue de la définition du terme « consignationcommerciale ».
Par conséquent, l’entente ne pouvait pas être enregistrée sous le régime de la Loi. C. La doctrine de common law nemo dat s’applique-t-elle de sorte à préserver un droit de priorité à Tucker? [22] Tucker soutient que la doctrine de common law nemo dat quod non habet s’applique pour renverser la prioritéde la Banque. Elle affirme que DMR ne pouvait transférer un
titre qu’elle n’avait pas. Par conséquent, elle fait valoir, en réalité, queDMR ne pouvait pas transférer un
titre suffisant pour permettre à la Banque de garantir son intérêt par voie de sûreté en garantie du prixd’achat jusqu’à ce que Tucker cède les certificats de propriété à DMR. Toutefois, comme l’a expliqué G.H.L. Fridman dans Sale of Goods in Canada, 6e éd., à la p. 109, la doctrine nemo dat ne s’applique pas si le propriétaire, par sa conduite, est empêché de nierl’autorisation qu’avait le vendeur de vendre les objets. En l’espèce, Tucker est préclus d’invoquer le fait qu’elle est la propriétaireinscrite puisqu’elle a autorisé DMR à agir à
titre de mandataire pour elle. Comme il a été indiqué, DMR avait tous les indices requis pourétablir qu’elle avait le droit de vendre les véhicules. [23] Le seul fondement invoqué par Tucker à l’appui de sa priorité est les certificats de propriété qu’elle a versés enpreuve. Les tribunaux, y compris notre Cour, ont conclu que ces certificats ne sont pas des titres documentaires (voir Whelton c. Mercier et al., 2004 NBCA 83, 277 R.N.-B. (2e) 251; Bourgeois c. Economical, compagnie mutuelle d’assurance, 2018 NBBR 85, [2018] A.N.- B. no 118 (QL); Thériault c. Ouellette (1991), (NB CA), 121 R.N.-B. (2e) 235, [1991] A.N.-B. no 917 (QL) (C.A.)).
[24] D’ailleurs, les certificats de propriété des véhicules versés au dossier énoncent ce qui suit : [TRADUCTION] « Les présents renseignements décrivent le propriétaire inscrit actuel et ne représentent pas nécessairement le propriétaire en common law du véhicule. Ce document n’est pas un certificat d’immatriculation du véhicule et n’autorise pas le propriétaire du véhicule à conduire le véhicule sur la route » (gras ajouté). Je soulignerais que cela est entièrement conforme à la définition de « propriétaire » prévue dans la
Loi sur les véhicules à moteur , L.R.N.-B. 1973, ch. M-17, qui décrit le propriétaire comme le propriétaire légal ou immatriculé, à moins que le véhicule ne soit l’objet d’un contrat (par ex. une convention de crédit) aux termes duquel une autre personne en a la possession et peut en acquérir le
titre légal de propriété; dans ce cas, cette personne en est le véritable propriétaire lorsqu’elle en a la possession. [25] Dans Durham c. Asser et al. , [1968] N.S.J. No. 16 (QL) , la Division d’appel de la Cour suprême de la Nouvelle-Écosse a conclu, dans des circonstances analogues à celles en l’espèce, que la conservation d’un certificat d’enregistrement était sans conséquence. [TRADUCTION] […] En l’espèce, il est sans conséquence que M. Asser ait conservé le certificat d’immatriculation.
Il n’y a aucune loi dans notre province qui donne à un certificat d’immatriculation la position particulière qu’occupe un [TRADUCTION] « journal de bord », et, jusqu’à ce qu’il y ait une telle loi, je refuse de donner à un certificat d’immatriculation une plus grande valeur que celle que lui confère la Motor Vehicle Act […] [par. 39] [26] Comme il a été mentionné, c’est également le cas au Nouveau-Brunswick. La
Loi sur les véhicules à moteur crée un régime administratif pour l’immatriculation des véhicules. Le non-respect de cette loi ne donne lieu qu’à des infractions pouvant entraîner la suspension ou le retrait de l’immatriculation du véhicule. Elle n’invalide pas une vente par ailleurs légale d’un véhicule si l’immatriculation était au nom d’une autre
partie avant la vente. [27] Par conséquent, la
Loi sur les véhicules à moteur n’impose pas aux acheteurs et aux sociétés de financement une obligation formelle de s’assurer que le vendeur peut vendre le véhicule. Ces questions sont régies par la Loi , la
Loi sur la vente d’objets , L.R.N.-B. 2016, ch. 110, et la
Loi sur les facteurs et agents , L.R.N.-B. 2011, ch. 153, qui n’imposent pas une telle obligation. [28] Si la Banque était tenue d’obtenir les immatriculations ou la confirmation des transferts, cela ferait intervenir de nombreux régimes législatifs et réseaux d’enregistrement, augmenterait les coûts pour les prêteurs et causerait une incertitude quant à l’ordre de priorité puisqu’un propriétaire présumé, comme Tucker, pourrait se manifester et déclencher un litige coûteux en matière de priorité qui n’aurait autrement pas existé sous le régime unique et exhaustif de la Loi . [29] Tucker prétend que la Banque et ses clients avaient une obligation de déterminer la propriété [TRADUCTION] « véritable » du véhicule avant que le véhicule puisse être acheté ou qu’un prêt puisse être consenti.
Dans Traders Group Ltd. c. Gouthro , [1969] N.S.J. No. 82 (QL) , la Cour suprême de la Nouvelle-Écosse a conclu que la loi n’impose pas une telle obligation, qui créerait une incertitude commerciale puisqu’il est difficile et peu pratique de déterminer la propriété d’un véhicule. Bien que cette décision ait été rendue avant l’adoption de la Loi , elle traite des mêmes principes énoncés dans la Sale of Goods Act de la Nouvelle-Écosse .
La Cour a déclaré ce qui suit : [TRADUCTION] Par suite de l’augmentation de l’utilisation de documents de garantie créant des privilèges grevant des biens personnels, des lois ont été adoptées dans la plupart des juridictions de common law afin de régir ce type d’entente et, en particulier, de protéger les acquéreurs de bonne foi d’objets des commerçants ordinaires et des personnes pouvant conserver la possession d’objets sans en être le propriétaire véritable. Dans notre province, ces dispositions législatives se trouvent maintenant dans la Sale of Goods Act , qui traite du transfert de
titre de personnes qui ne sont pas propriétaires d’objets, notamment aux articles 23 à 27, la Factors Act , à l’article 2, qui traite des aliénations effectuées par des agents de commerce, et l’article 5 de la Conditional Sales Act , qui traite des transferts à un commerçant et des transferts effectués par celui-ci dans le cours de ses affaires. Si un acheteur peut s’inscrire dans le cadre des situations établies par la loi pour sa protection, il n’est pas nécessaire qu’il vérifie le
titre de son vendeur sur les objets vendus ou l’existence de toute charge grevant ces objets. Ces règles ont été élaborées afin de créer de l’ordre dans le monde du commerce et il est nécessaire qu’elles soient clairement comprises par ceux qui exercent des activités commerciales ainsi que par les membres du public. [30] Le régime d’immatriculation prévu par la
Loi sur les véhicules à moteur du Nouveau-Brunswick ne traite pas du problème de la propriété ostensible. La
Loi sur les véhicules à moteur n’invalide pas les titres libres reçus par application de la
Loi sur la vente d’objets ou de la
Loi sur les facteurs et agents.
[31] L’article 28 de la
Loi sur la vente d’objets codifie le principe nemo dat, sous réserve de deuxexceptions précises. La première vise l’« autorisation ou le consentement du propriétaire » et la deuxième vise la [TRADUCTION]« préclusion » fondée sur la « conduite [du propriétaire] ». [32] Dans la décision Durham, le propriétaire d’un véhicule avait livré son véhicule à un concessionnaire[TRADUCTION] « pour le revendre » à un prix convenu. Le concessionnaire a vendu le véhicule à un prix plus élevé à un acheteur, cequi relevait du pouvoir exprès ou implicite du concessionnaire. La Cour d’appel de la Nouvelle-Écosse a conclu que le propriétaire initialdu véhicule était lié et que le
titre du véhicule avait été transféré à l’acheteur (par. 15 à 19). [33] L’exception relative à la [TRADUCTION] « préclusion » prévue à l’art. 28 de la
Loi sur la vented’objets prévoit que le propriétaire sera préclus d’invoquer son intérêt propriétal lorsque le vendeur, en apparence, agissait à
titre demandataire du propriétaire. Cela s’étend aux cas où le vendeur a la propriété apparente ou ostensible des objets compte tenu de laconduite du propriétaire. La simple possession des objets en question n’est pas suffisante. Le vendeur doit disposer de certains indices –c’est-à-dire des indices de propriété – qui laissent croire qu’il est le propriétaire ou qu’il a le droit de vendre les objets. [34] L’alinéa 29a) de la
Loi sur la vente d’objets dispose que cette loi ne porte pas atteinte aux dispositions de la Loisur les facteurs et agents. En vertu de la
Loi sur les facteurs et agents, un commettant peut être privé de son
titre sur des objets par unealiénation effectuée par un agent (art. 3 et 4). La
Loi sur les facteurs et agents vise à protéger les acheteurs des agents qui ont été misdans une position où ils peuvent faire des opérations visant des objets comme s’ils avaient l’autorité de le faire en raison d’un acteconscient du propriétaire véritable (voir Akzact Imports & Amusements Inc. c. Arsenault, 2011 NBQB 286 , 2011 NBBR 286, 379 R.N.-B. (2e) 182, par. 32, mentionné ci-dessous). [35] Une affaire dont les faits sont similaires à ceux de l’espèce est Zerebeski c. Royal Bank of Canada, [1998] S.J.No. 533 (QL). Dans cette affaire, l’épouse était la propriétaire immatriculée du véhicule.
Son conjoint avait livré le véhicule à un tiersavec l’autorisation de le vendre. Le véhicule a été vendu à un acheteur avec le financement d’une banque garanti par une sûreté. Laconjointe a plus tard repris possession du véhicule et soutenu que la sûreté de la banque n’était pas valide parce que le tiers vendeurn’avait pas de
titre à transférer à l’acheteur. Son argument a été rejeté en raison du mandat apparent qui était dévolu au tiers vendeur. [36] À mon avis, la loi qui régit la relation entre Tucker et DMR est la
Loi sur les facteurs et agents. Bien que lejuge saisi de la motion n’ait pas expressément conclu que DMR était l’agente de commerce de Tucker, selon moi elle peut manifestementêtre considérée comme « agent de commerce », qui, comme le définit la
Loi sur les facteurs et agents, est autorisé à vendre lesmarchandises d’un tiers dans le cours normal de ses affaires. Je suis confortée dans ma conclusion par l’art. 3 de cette loi,
article quiporte sur les conséquences juridiques de la vente de marchandises par un agent de commerce.
Voici son libellé : Sale of goods by mercantile agents 3 Subject to the provisions of this Act, whena mercantile agent is in possession of goodsor of the document of title to goods with theconsent of the owner, a sale, pledge or otherdisposition of the goods made by the agentwhen acting in the ordinary course ofbusiness of a mercantile agent shall be asvalid as if the agent were expresslyauthorized by the owner of the goods tomake the disposition, if the person takingunder the disposition acts in good faithand, at the time of the disposition, does nothave notice that the person making thedisposition does not have authority to makethe disposition. [Emphasis added.] Vente de marchandises par un agent decommerce 3 Lorsqu’un agent de commerce est enpossession de marchandises ou du titredocumentaire de marchandises avec leconsentement de leur propriétaire, lavente, la mise en gage ou toute autrealiénation effectuée dans le cours normalde l’activité d’un agent de commerce a lamême validité, sous réserve desdispositions de la présente loi, que s’il yavait été expressément autorisé par lepropriétaire, pour autant que l’aliénataireagisse de bonne foi et sans avoirconnaissance, au moment de l’aliénation, dudéfaut d’autorisation de l’aliénateur. [Lescaractères gras sont de moi.] [37] La disposition ci-dessus codifie les principes du droit des mandats et couvre le type de relation en cause entreTucker et DMR.
En outre, l’art. 70 de la Loi énonce que les lois en matière de protection du consommateur ont préséance sur la Loi.Dans la mesure où l’art. 3 de la
Loi sur les facteurs et agents fournit une protection aux consommateurs, c’est elle qui prévaut.
[38] Dans Akzact Imports & Amusements Inc., la demanderesse, une concessionnaire d’automobilesautorisée, avait conclu une entente avec M. Thebeau, qui exploitait un concessionnaire d’automobiles. La demanderesse importait desvéhicules d’occasion, que M. Thebeau vendait à des acheteurs sur son lot. Les acheteurs ne faisaient affaire qu’avec M. Thebeau etn’avaient pas connaissance du rôle de la demanderesse dans l’obtention des véhicules. [39] Le défendeur M. Arsenault s’est adressé à M. Thebeau en vue d’acheter une Toyota Avalon. Lademanderesse a acheté et importé une Toyota Avalon 2010, puis a livré l’Avalon à M.
Thebeau. Le défendeur M. Arsenault a payéM. Thebeau pour l’Avalon et l’a reçue, n’ayant pas connaissance que le
titre sur l’Avalon était toujours au nom de la demanderesse. Lademanderesse n’a pas été payée pour l’Avalon et a revendiqué un intérêt propriétal. Elle a intenté une action en recouvrement del’Avalon. [40] La Cour du Banc de la Reine du Nouveau-Brunswick (tel était alors son nom) a rejeté l’action de lademanderesse et a ordonné que l’Avalon soit immatriculée au nom du défendeur M. Arsenault, puisqu’un
titre libre lui avait été transférépar application de l’art. 3 (alors l’art. 2) de la
Loi sur les facteurs et agents. La Cour est parvenue à cette conclusion pour les motifssuivants :
a) M. Thebeau était un agent de commerce;
b) il était en possession de l’Avalon avec le consentement de la demanderesse;
c) ilavait vendu l’Avalon dans le cours normal de ses affaires à
titre d’agent de commerce;
d) le défendeur M. Arsenault n’était pas aucourant que M. Thebeau n’était pas autorisé à vendre l’Avalon; et
e) le défendeur M. Arsenault a acheté l’Avalon de bonne foi. [41] La Cour d’appel de l’Ontario est parvenue à une conclusion semblable dans M.J. Jones Inc. c.Henry, (ON CA), [2002] O.J. No. 967 (QL) (C.A.), au sujet d’un bateau. La Cour d’appel a indiqué que l’acheteurdans cette affaire n’avait pas l’obligation d’enquêter afin de déterminer si le vendeur était autorisé à vendre le bateau (par. 19). [42] Finalement, dans St. John c. Horvat, [1994] B.C.J.
No. 655 (QL) (C.A.), l’intimée a livré unefourgonnette en consignation à un courtier en lui disant de communiquer avec elle lorsqu’une offre ferme serait faite (par. 39 à 41). Lecourtier a vendu la fourgonnette à l’appelant sans l’autorisation de l’intimée et a enregistré un faux document de transfert de lafourgonnette. La Cour d’appel de la Colombie-Britannique a conclu que la vente avait été effectuée dans le cours normal des affaires ducourtier à
titre d’agent de commerce et que l’appelant avait droit à la protection alors prévue au par. 58(1) de la Sale of Goods Act de laColombie-Britannique (analogue à l’art. 3 de la
Loi sur les facteurs et agents du Nouveau-Brunswick). [43] À mon avis, il s’ensuit que les acheteurs en l’espèce ont pris un
titre libre du prétendu intérêtpropriétal de Tucker par application de l’art. 3 de la
Loi sur les facteurs et agents pour les motifs suivants :
a) DMR était un agent decommerce;
b) DMR était en possession des véhicules avec le consentement de Tucker;
c) DMR a vendu les véhicules dans le coursnormal de ses affaires;
d) les acheteurs croyaient naturellement que DMR était autorisée à vendre les véhicules et à en transférer lestitres; et
e) les clients ont acheté les véhicules de bonne foi. [44] Bien que DMR ait pu duper Tucker, le droit établit clairement que Tucker doit assumer la perte,sous réserve de tout recouvrement qu’elle peut obtenir de DMR, parce qu’elle a choisi d’établir une relation d’agent de commerce avecDMR. Comme l’a mentionné la Cour d’appel de la Colombie-Britannique dans l’arrêt St. John : [TRADUCTION] La présente affaire soulève une question difficile : laquelle des deux parties innocentes devrait assumer la perte occasionnée par laconduite d’E & E? Le droit en Colombie-Britannique établit que, lorsqu’il y a deux parties innocentes, et que toutes les exigences del’art. 58 ont été remplies, la
partie qui a choisi de laisser ses objets en possession de l’agent de commerce devrait assumer la perte.L’intimée a choisi librement de laisser sa fourgonnette en possession d’E & E afin que cette dernière puisse solliciter des offresd’acheteurs éventuels.
Elle a choisi l’agent; par conséquent, il est raisonnable qu’elle assume la perte occasionnée par la conduited’E & E et que l’appelant puisse garder la fourgonnette. [par. 45] [45] L’ouvrage de Fridman traite aussi des ventes effectuées par des agents de commerce et confirme que quatreexigences doivent être remplies afin de pouvoir écarter un argument fondé sur la doctrine nemo dat : (1) la personne qui prétend vendreles objets doit être un agent de commerce; (2) elle doit être en possession des objets; (3) elle doit avoir la possession des objets avec leconsentement du propriétaire; et (4) la vente doit être effectuée par elle dans le cours normal de ses affaires à
titre d’agent de commerce(p. 113). Les quatre éléments sont présents en l’espèce.
[46] Dans Dartmouth Dodge Chrysler c. Scott Slipp Nissan et al , 2002 NSSC 83 , [2002] N.S.J. No. 167 (QL) , autorisation de pourvoi refusée 2003 NSCA 98 , la Cour d’appel de la Nouvelle-Écosse a déclaré que, même lorsque l’agent de commerce n’était pas en possession du certificat d’immatriculation du véhicule, lequel demeurait en la possession du propriétaire initial, soit le demandeur, une vente effectuée par cet agent à un tiers constituait une vente effectuée par cet agent dans le cours normal de ses affaires de sorte à transférer un
titre valable au tiers acheteur. [47] Tout cela suppose que les tiers acheteurs ont agi de bonne foi lors de l’achat, et rien dans le dossier dont dispose la Cour en l’espèce ne permet de conclure autrement. Par conséquent, Tucker n’avait aucun fondement en droit pour reprendre possession des véhicules en question. En outre, je conclus que la sûreté en garantie du prix d’achat de la Banque a priorité sur tout autre intérêt que Tucker pourrait détenir. VI. Dispositif [48] Par conséquent, je rejetterais l’appel et confirmerais la priorité de la Banque pour les motifs exposés ci-dessus. J’adjugerais une masse de dépens en appel au montant de 3 000 $ payables par Tucker aux intimées.