2016 NBCA 23, 2016 NBCA 23
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D'APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK L.G.V. APPELLANT 89-15-CA L.G.V. APPELANTE - and - - et - L.A.P. RESPONDENT L.A.P. INTIMÉ L.G.V. v. L.A.P., 2016 NBCA 23 L.G.V. c.
L.A.P., 2016 NBCA 23 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Green The Honourable Justice Baird The Honourable Justice French CORAM : l’honorable juge Green l’honorable juge Baird l’honorable juge French Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: August 18, 2015 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : le 18 août 2015 History of case: Decision under appeal: Unreported Preliminary or incidental proceedings: N/A Historique de la cause : Décision frappée d’appel : inédite Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : s.o.
Appeal heard: January 20, 2016 Judgment rendered: May 12, 2016 Reasons for judgment: The Honourable Justice Baird Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Green The Honourable Justice French Appel entendu : le 20 janvier 2016 Jugement rendu : le 12 mai 2016 Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge Baird Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Green l’honorable juge French Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: Donald F. Rowan For the respondent: Joseph Wilfred John Fitzpatrick Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appelante : Donald F. Rowan Pour l’intimé : Joseph Wilfred John Fitzpatrick THE COURT The appeal is allowed.
The Order staying the New Brunswick divorce proceedings and awarding costs to Mr. P. is set aside, and costs are awarded to Ms. V. in the amount of $2,500. LA COUR L’appel est accueilli. L’ordonnance portant suspension de l’instance en divorce au Nouveau-Brunswick et attribuant les dépens à M. P. est annulée, des dépens de 2 500 $ étant attribués à M me V. The judgment of the Court was delivered by BAIRD, J.A.
I. Introduction and Background [ 1 ] On August 18, 2015, a motion judge stayed a Petition for Divorce filed by Ms. V. in the Province of New Brunswick on the basis Portugal was the more appropriate forum. Ms. V. asserts the motion judge’s decision was wrong, and should be set aside with costs. [ 2 ] In 1997, Mr. P. and Ms. V. were married in Portugal. Their son, J. was born in 1998. In 1999, they moved to the Province of New Brunswick, so Mr. P. could commence employment with a New Brunswick company as a software engineer. They lived together until 2014, when Ms.
V. returned to Portugal to live on a permanent basis. The actual date of their separation is in dispute. Mr. P. and J. continue to live in the marital home in the Province of New Brunswick. [ 3 ] During the marriage, Ms. V. was treated for a number of medical problems, including bi-polar disorder and cancer. In December 2013, she was hospitalized in critical condition, and remained in hospital until January 2014, at which time she was released into the care of Mr. P. She was re-admitted to hospital in critical condition on February 12, 2014.
Shortly thereafter, her family in Portugal expressed concerns over her welfare, and following an exchange of e-mails, on February 28, 2014, Mr. P. and J. accompanied Ms. V. to Portugal where she was placed by her mother and her sister in a private health care facility against the wishes of Mr. P. who, in his affidavit, stated he wanted her placed in a public health care facility. Mr.
P. deposed his wife is entitled to receive “public health care coverage, social benefits coverage, early retirement and health benefits due to illness, medical consultations and legal guardianship in Portugal”. [ 4 ] At the time of her admission to the private health care facility, Ms. V. was malnourished and required significant care. Her legal counsel advised her health has since improved.
She is being supported by her parents “entirely” and in her affidavit, she advised she was uncertain when an interim order for spousal support could be obtained in Portugal, or whether such an order could be enforced in the Province of New Brunswick. [ 5 ] Both parties acknowledged there were e-mail exchanges between Ms. V.’s mother and Mr. P. in June 2014 concerning the possibility of negotiating a financial agreement between them. In July 2014, Mr. P. retained legal counsel in Portugal for this purpose, and attempts to negotiate a settlement with Ms. V.’s legal counsel in Portugal were unsuccessful.
In August 2014, Mr. P. initiated divorce proceedings in Portugal, “without the consent of the other spouse”. The initial hearing was scheduled for February 26, 2015; however, it was adjourned by the Portuguese court on the basis there was no proof Ms. V. had been properly served with the documents. On November 7, 2014, and prior to Mr. P.’s attempt to serve Ms.
V. with his Petition for Divorce, Ms.V. filed a Petition for Divorce in New Brunswick pursuant to the Divorce Act , R.S.C., 1985, c. 3 (2nd supp.) ( Act ), seeking a divorce, with corollary relief, and a division of marital property pursuant to the Marital Property Act , R.S.N.B., 2012, c. 107. Mr. P. acknowledged service of the Petition for Divorce on November 12, 2014. On March 5, 2015, Ms.V’s sister was designated by the Portuguese court as her temporary legal guardian with respect to the Divorce proceedings in Portugal. [ 6 ] On November 26, 2014, Mr.
P. filed a Notice of Motion seeking a declaratory order the Province of New Brunswick was forum non conveniens and by implication, there be a stay of the proceedings in the Province of New Brunswick. On February 18, 2015, the Motion was heard, and an order issued on March 2, 2015, dismissing his motion. On March 17, 2015, Mr. P. filed a second Notice of Motion asserting the Province of New Brunswick was forum non conveniens and he requested a stay of the proceedings. In his second Notice of Motion, Mr. P. provided further information to the court in support of his request.
The motion was heard on March 23, 2015, June 9, 2015, and July 24, 2015. An oral decision was rendered on August 18, 2015, with reasons filed on September 21, 2015. The motion judge ordered a stay of the divorce proceedings in the Province of New Brunswick, and he ordered Ms. V. to pay costs of $750. [ 7 ] Mr. P. submits the proceedings are more properly heard in Portugal on the basis Ms. V. resides in Portugal, and he “believes” she may have corporate assets there as a result of an undetermined interest in a company owned by her family.
He noted the current medical evidence is in Portugal, the Portuguese court will “address the same issues as a Canadian court”, and there would be no prejudice should the divorce proceed in Portugal. Ms. V. submits the motion judge’s decision should be reversed for the following reasons: (1) the motion judge made palpable and overriding errors with respect to certain findings of facts; and (2) the motion judge erred in his analysis concerning forum non conveniens .
After giving due deference to the motion judge’s decision, I conclude his analysis with respect to forum non conveniens was incomplete, on the basis he did not consider relevant factors which will be discussed further in these reasons. I would allow the appeal and set aside the order for a stay of the proceedings in the Province of New Brunswick. II. Standard of Review
[8] Procedural orders are discretionary and are entitled to deference. A decision to stay a proceeding based on thedoctrine of forum non conveniens is discretionary. As stated in Doiron v. Haché, 2005 NBCA 75, 290 N.B.R. (2d) 79, however, “[t]hediscretion must be exercised judicially”, “according to the rules of reason and justice, not according to private opinion”, “according tolaw”, and must not be “arbitrary, vague and fanciful, but legal and regular” (para. 57).
On the issue when a stay of proceedings isappropriately granted in cases where there are competing jurisdictions, the Supreme Court offers guidance in Amchem ProductsIncorporated v. British Columbia (Workers’ Compensation Board), (SCC), [1993] 1 S.C.R. 897, [1993] S.C.J. No. 34(QL), per Sopinka J. at paras. 25-56. See also Drapeau C.J.N.B., writing for the Court, in La Succession de Feu André Gauthier v. Coutuet al., 2006 NBCA 16, 296 N.B.R. (2d) 34, at paras. 53-57. The Supreme Court states in Club Resorts Ltd. v.
Van Breda, 2012 SCC 17,[2012] 1 S.C.R. 572, the discretion exercised by a motion judge “will be entitled to deference from higher courts, absent an error of lawor a clear and serious error in the determination of relevant facts” (para. 112). [9] The appellant asserts the motion judge erred both in fact and in law and the disposition is therefore notentitled to deference. It has become trite that findings of fact are reviewable on the “palpable and overriding” standard.
To rise to thelevel of “palpable and overriding”, the factual misapprehension must go to the substance of the issue to be determined, and it must be“material”, not “peripheral” (Gillis v. R., 2014 NBCA 58, 426 N.B.R. (2d) 1, at para. 76; R. v. Lohrer, 2004 SCC 80, [2004] 3 S.C.R.732, at paras. 1-2). This court must determine, therefore, whether the misapprehension of the evidence was such the decision cannotstand, and whether the motion judge applied the correct criteria in his analysis of forum non conveniens. III.
Analysis [10] My analysis will begin with an examination of the alleged factual errors to ascertain whether they rise to thelevel of “palpable and overriding”, and I will then examine the two part test established by the Supreme Court, with a brief discussion ofsubstantial connection, before I turn to the motion judge’s analysis of forum non conveniens. I turn first to the appellant’s submission themotion judge misapprehended the evidence. Ms. V. submits the motion judge did not consider key evidence she included in the Schedule“B” document she attached to her Petition for Divorce.
I conclude the motion judge’s stated reason for not considering this evidence wasbased on an erroneous finding. He described the document as an affidavit. He found the document had not been sworn before a notarypublic. The motion judge stated: “[L.G.V.] signed the Affidavit attached to her Petition for Divorce on October 29, 2014. The Affidavitwas neither witnessed, nor was her signature taken before a notary public” (para. 5); however, the motion judge failed to note Ms. V.adopted
Schedule “B” as an exhibit to her responding affidavit (para. 9). In the context of the issues discussed further, I am notconvinced this was an oversight of sufficient gravity to warrant further comment. [11] When Ms. V. executed her Petition for Divorce, she stated she was not aware of any other proceedings withrespect to the breakdown of her marriage. The motion judge referred to this statement, and inferred she was not being truthful on thebasis divorce proceedings were already underway in Portugal; however, to this point, there was ample evidence Ms.
V. had not beenproperly served with the Portuguese documents. [12] Ms. V. submits further the motion judge erred when he accepted an affidavit sworn by Mr. P.’s legal counsel inPortugal. Although the motion judge correctly observed it is out of the ordinary to accept an affidavit sworn by legal counsel, he referredto and he relied on this document to support his conclusion.
The affidavit did not address seminal issues such as what grounds for divorceare possible pursuant to Portuguese divorce laws, the residency requirements, the effect fault might have on the result, how theentitlement and the quantum of spousal support are assessed, whether there is comity between Canada and Portugal concerning theseissues, and whether marital property would be divided in Portugal on the same basis as in the Province of New Brunswick. The absenceof this information is significant, and goes to the heart of the issue the motion judge had to decide. [13] The date of separation is in dispute. Mr.
P. asserts the date of separation was 2012, while Ms. V. states it wasin 2014 when she left Canada to move to Portugal. In his Petition for Divorce, Mr. P. stated his residence is in Ribeira Grande, theAzores, Portugal, and the total value of the assets in dispute, is EUR 30,000. These material facts were inconsistent with the financialinformation which was filed by Ms. V., but were not referred to by the motion judge in his reasons. The effect, if any, Mr. P’s statementhe was a resident of Portugal had on the Portuguese court to accept jurisdiction is unknown; however, I conclude Mr.
P. was notdomiciled in Portugal when he filed his Petition for Divorce there, and Ms. V. had been living in Portugal for a few months only. Even ifI were to conclude there is comity between Canada and Portugal on the issue of residency, there was nothing in the record before themotion judge that confirms Portugal had jurisdiction at the time Mr. P.’s Petition for Divorce was filed, nor that Portugal would applyCanadian law to the facts of this case.
Section 22(1) of the Act requires that either former spouse be ordinarily resident in the foreignjurisdiction for one year prior to the commencement of the proceedings. This is an important gap in the information which was beforethe court. There is no dispute the Province of New Brunswick has jurisdiction simpliciter to hear both the proceedings for divorce as wellas the proceedings pursuant to the Marital Property Act, by virtue of the substantial connection which exists between these parties andthis jurisdiction. Before proceeding further, however, I wish to provide the basis for this statement.
[ 14 ] In his reasons, the motion judge concludes, but for the filing of Ms. V.’s Petition for Divorce in the Province of New Brunswick, Portugal has jurisdiction simpliciter to hear the divorce and to determine a division of marital assets and marital debt. This was not clear from the information provided in the affidavit of Mr. P.’s Portuguese legal counsel. With respect, the analysis should begin with the assumption the Province of New Brunswick has jurisdiction simpliciter . The onus then shifts to Mr. P. to establish a closer connection with Portugal, and that Portugal would apply Canadian law.
In support of the above conclusion, the following facts are relevant: 1. The parties lived together in the Province of New Brunswick from 1999, “until L.G.V. returned to Portugal in 2014”; 2. Their son, J., is a resident of New Brunswick and is over 17 years of age; 3. The known marital assets are situated in the Province of New Brunswick. There may be corporate assets owned by Ms. V. in Portugal of unknown value; 4. Mr. P. is employed in the Province of New Brunswick, he earns his income here and his pension is here; 5. New Brunswick has jurisdiction over the legal matters in dispute, by virtue of Mr.
P.’s residency here, and the physical location of the marital assets. [ 15 ] The motion judge concluded Portugal had jurisdiction simpliciter , on the basis the parties were married there in 1997, and he determined the Portuguese court would consider the same issues as a Canadian court. In support of this conclusion, the motion judge did not conduct the analysis set out by the Supreme Court. LeBel J. in Club Resorts Ltd. identifies three factors of importance to the determination of the lex loci forum . They are jurisdiction simpliciter , forum non conveniens , and recognition of foreign judgments (paras. 15-16).
This analytical framework was refined in the companion cases of Breeden v. Black, 2012 SCC 19 , [2012] 1 S.C.R. 666 ; and Éditions Écosociété Inc. v. Banro Corp., 2012 SCC 18 , [2012] 1 S.C.R. 636 . The Supreme Court acknowledges the role of the court is to prevent forum shopping and it establishes a two-part analysis. Part one focuses on the substantial connection test. This requires the moving party to call evidence to establish a “presumptive connecting factor” to the jurisdiction simpliciter .
If the matter is presumptively connected to the jurisdiction, the onus then shifts to the responding party to rebut the presumption. At that point, evidence establishing the court in the alternative forum is more appropriate must be produced. Factors such as the location of witnesses, the enforcement of orders, whether the other forum can resolve matters efficiently and fairly, the possibility of multiple proceedings and comity must be considered prior to deferring to the other jurisdiction ( see Breeden , paras. 22-36 ; and Club Resorts Ltd. , paras 102-103 ).
The Supreme Court provides a non-exhaustive list of connecting factors (see also Succession de feu André Gauthier v. Coutu, 2006 NBCA 16 , 296 N.B.R. (2d) 34 , per Drapeau C.J.N.B. writing for the Court). Those factors will be discussed further in these reasons. [ 16 ] Once the issue of jurisdiction simpliciter is decided, the court proceeds to the second part of the analysis, which is the application of the doctrine of forum non conveniens .
The Supreme Court states it is at this stage the responding party must provide evidence the competing forum is the more appropriate one. [ 17 ] I turn now to the motion judge’s analysis with respect to forum non conveniens to determine whether the alleged factual errors were so palpable and so overriding as to taint the result and whether, or not, the motion judge correctly applied the legal principles to the facts of this case.
On their own, I conclude the factual errors were not palpable and overriding; however, the more substantive issue is how these errors, in combination with the analysis, influenced the motion judge’s determination that Portugal was a more convenient forum. [ 18 ] LeBel J. in Breeden states: Having found that a real and substantial connection exists between the actions and Ontario, I must now determine whether the Ontario court should nonetheless decline to exercise its jurisdiction on the ground that a court of another jurisdiction is clearly a more appropriate forum for the hearing of the actions.
The appellants contend that Illinois is a clearly more appropriate forum than Ontario. For the reasons that follow, I disagree. Under the forum non conveniens analysis, the burden is on the party raising the issue to demonstrate that the court of the alternative jurisdiction is a clearly more appropriate forum ( Club Resorts , at para. 103). The factors to be considered by a court in determining
whether an alternative forum is clearly more appropriate are numerous and variable. While they are a matter of common law, they have also been codified, for example, in a non-exhaustive list in s. 11(2) of the British Columbia Court Jurisdiction and Proceedings Transfer Act , S.B .C. 2003, c. 28. That Act and others are themselves based on a uniform Act proposed by the Uniform Law Conference of Canada ( Teck Cominco Metals Ltd. v. Lloyd's Underwriters , 2009 SCC 11 , [2009] 1 S.C.R. 321 , at para. 22 ; Club Resorts , at paras. 105-6), the Uniform Court Jurisdiction and Proceedings Transfer Act (" CJPTA ").
Section 11 of the CJPTA states: 11
(1) After considering the interests of the parties to a proceeding and the ends of justice, a court may decline to exercise its territorial competence in the proceeding on the ground that a court of another state is a more appropriate forum in which to hear the proceeding.
(2) A court, in deciding the question of whether it or a court outside [enacting province or territory] is the more appropriate forum in which to hear a proceeding, must consider the circumstances relevant to the proceeding, including: (
a) the comparative convenience and expense for the parties to the proceeding and for their witnesses, in litigating in the court or in any alternative forum; (
b) the law to be applied to issues in the proceeding; (
c) the desirability of avoiding multiplicity of legal proceedings; (
d) the desirability of avoiding conflicting decisions in different courts; (
e) the enforcement of an eventual judgment; and (
f) the fair and efficient working of the Canadian legal system as a whole. [paras. 22-23] [ 19 ] The above forms the basis for the analysis. The Supreme Court in Breeden concludes: “The forum non conveniens analysis does not require that all the factors point to a single forum or involve a simple numerical tallying up of the relevant factors. However, it does require that one forum ultimately emerge as clearly more appropriate” (para. 37). As previously stated, the party raising forum non conveniens bears the burden of proof.
In Éditions Écosociété , the Supreme Court reiterates the analytical framework, and applies the criteria set out in Club Resorts Ltd. A court hearing an application for a stay of proceedings must find that another forum exists that is in a better position to dispose fairly and efficiently of the litigation. The doctrine focuses on the context of the individual case and the factors a court may consider in deciding whether to apply the doctrine ( Club Resorts Ltd . , para. 105 and 110 ).
If I conclude the motion judge failed to consider factors which were relevant to his analysis, he erred in principle, or he reached an unreasonable conclusion, the decision cannot stand. In Forsythe v. Westfall , 2015 ONCA 810 , [2015] O.J. No.6134 , MacFarland J.A., writing for the Court, observes: [T]he court must be cautious not to confuse jurisdiction simpliciter and the doctrine of forum non conveniens . They are distinct concepts. As Le[B]el J. noted in Van Breda , at para. 101 , “[ f ] orum non conveniens comes into play when jurisdiction is established.
It has no relevance to the jurisdictional analysis itself.” [para 51] [ 20 ] I turn now to consider the motion judge’s analysis through the lens of the “circumstances” and relevant factors which were considered by LeBel J. in Breeden as determinative of the lex loci forum question. On the issue of applicable law, the affidavit filed by Mr. P.’s Portuguese legal counsel, which was accepted by the motion judge as correct and complete, did not state whether the Portuguese court would decide corollary relief issues in accordance with Canadian law.
The affidavit was riddled with allegations of marital misconduct, levelled against Ms. V., and culminated with the following: The defendant’s behavior over the years has been, to de facto separation of the couple in April 2012, and still continues being, clearly violator of conjugal duties of respect, cooperation and assistance pursuant to art. 1672 and following CC, in a quite serious way and repeated basis.
This fact gives to the present petitioner the right to seek, through this litigious action, their divorce, which he does here and now, in accordance with art. 1773 of the Portuguese Civil Code . [p. 46 of the Appeal Book] The above should have alerted the motion judge to the possibility fault may be a live issue in matrimonial matters in Portugal, something Canada disposed of with the proclamation of the Act . In 1985, Canada adopted a no fault regime, but retained the grounds of adultery, as
well as mental and physical cruelty; however, these grounds are considered exceptional. [21] The motion judge failed to consider the absence of evidence concerning whether, or not, a spousal supportorder which issued in Portugal would be recognized and enforced in this jurisdiction. The motion judge assumed orders from Portugalcould be “confirmed” in Canada; however, there was no evidence to support this conclusion (para. 21).
Further, the motion judge states:“the indicia of marriage are in that jurisdiction and the only elements that must have a New Brunswick input are collateral in nature, thecustody and access of the youth in this matter, the real property and assets in this jurisdiction. These matters can be resolved by the Courtin Portugal and the decisions confirmed by the Court in this jurisdiction” (para. 23). I respectfully disagree.
Matters pertaining to thecustody and the access of children, spousal support and the division of marital property cannot be considered “collateral in nature”.These issues are at the very centre of the dispute, and there was no analysis on what basis a Portuguese court would decide them. [22] The Court in Leonard v. Booker, 2007 NBCA 71, 321 N.B.R. (2d) 340, concluded foreign orders for childand/or spousal support made pursuant to divorce proceedings cannot be varied in this jurisdiction.
Larlee, J.A., writing for the court,states: While Rothgiesser dealt with a spousal support order, I am of the view that that case expresses the applicable law with respect to childsupport as well, and that references to a spousal support order could equally apply to a child support order: "Under the [Divorce] Act, aCanadian court can only vary a spousal support order made pursuant to a Canadian divorce: there is no jurisdiction [in] a Canadian courtto vary a foreign support order.
Jurisdiction to vary a foreign spousal support order may only be derived from provincial legislationrespecting enforcement of support orders" (at para. 20). In New Brunswick, this would be the Interjurisdictional Support Orders Act,which does indeed set out a scheme for varying support orders, whether with respect to spouses or children. If the Divorce Act coveredthis, or if support orders could not be extricated from custody orders, one wonders what the point of having legislated this aspect of theInterjurisdictional Support Orders Act would be.
In support of this conclusion, Rothgiesser reviews two additional cases, at paras. 48-49,about the interaction of the Divorce Act and such provincial legislation (see Trotter v. Trotter (1992), (ON SCDC), 90D.L.R. (4th) 554 (Ont.Gen. Div.), [1992] O.J. No. 733 (QL) and Smibert v. Smibert (1996), (SK KB), 147 Sask. R.149 (Q.B.), [1996] S.J. No. 496 (QL)).
In Rothgiesser, the Court quotes, at para. 46, from Payne on Divorce: "Section 5 of the Divorce Act confers no jurisdiction on anyCanadian court to vary a foreign support order, although such jurisdiction may be exercisable under provincial legislation respectingreciprocal enforcement of support orders." The Interjurisdictional Support Orders Act is provincial legislation to that effect. [paras. 32-33] [23] The affidavit filed by the Portuguese legal counsel did not inform the motion judge whether a support ordermade pursuant to Portuguese divorce legislation could be enforced in Canada.
It is one thing to obtain an order in a foreign jurisdiction;however, a paper order is useless to the recipient if he or she cannot enforce the order. The Interjurisdictional Support Orders Act,S.N.B., 2002, C.I-12.05 (I.S.O.) provides the statutory authority for the registration, confirmation, and enforcement of support ordersmade pursuant to provincial legislation both in Canada and certain reciprocating jurisdictions. Regulation 2004-5 which is attached asAppendix “A” to these reasons, confirms that Portugal is not a reciprocating jurisdiction.
In addition, it is noteworthy that the I.S.O. doesnot apply to orders made pursuant to the Divorce Act. I conclude there is a potential problem with respect to the enforcement, or thevariation in Canada, of an order which issues pursuant to the Portuguese divorce proceedings, on the basis that domicile remains thepredominant common law test (see Orabi v. El Qaoud, 2005 NSCA 28, [2005] N.S.J. No. 76 (QL), at para. 14). Finally, New Brunswickdoes not have the jurisdiction to hear and to determine a corollary relief proceeding under the Divorce Act following a valid foreigndivorce.
In Leonard, the Court observed this danger when it stated: “[t]his proposition was thoroughly canvassed and rejected inOkmyansky: ‘an Ontario court does not have jurisdiction to hear and determine a corollary relief proceeding under the Divorce Actfollowing a valid foreign divorce’” (para. 29). This issue was not considered by the motion judge. [24] Mr. P’s. affidavit did not inform the motion judge whether the court in Portugal would divide his pension withMs. V., or whether marital misconduct would, or might, intersect with the division of marital property.
In the Province of NewBrunswick, the Marital Property Act governs the division of marital assets and debts under the presumption of equal sharing betweenmarried parties absent exceptional circumstances (s. 3). The record was silent, and the motion judge did not conduct the analysis, onwhat basis marital assets are divided in Portugal. The motion judge reasoned there would be a division of marital property in accordancewith Portuguese legislation; however, he did not determine whether there is comity between the Province of New Brunswick andPortugal concerning the division of marital assets.
The affidavit evidence advised him that marital assets would be divided in Portugal,but there was no indication how they would be divided. The motion judge was also persuaded Ms. V. owns corporate assets through afamily-operated business in Portugal.
It is unknown whether these assets, if they exist, would be considered marital assets in Portugal,and there was no evidence a court in Portugal would divide them. [25] With respect to the issues of comparative convenience and expense, which were identified as relevantconsiderations in Breeden, the following facts were relevant, but were not considered by the motion judge:
1. There is a dispute concerning the date of separation. The best evidence to prove the respective claims is in the Province of New Brunswick; otherwise, it might be necessary to require witnesses to travel to Portugal to provide evidence; 2. Both Mr. P. and J. reside in the Province of New Brunswick, and although there is no dispute concerning the custody of J., his views and preferences concerning access and visitation with his mother, are best obtained in the Province of New Brunswick; 3. The historical medical evidence with respect to Ms. V.’s illnesses over the years is in the Province of New Brunswick; 4.
Expert evidence concerning the value of marital assets such as the marital home, the vehicle, the contents of the marital home, and the pensions, both through employment as well as the Canada Pension Plan, is in the Province of New Brunswick; 5. Mr. P.’s legal counsel advised there would, of necessity, be multiple proceedings in Portugal, with the divorce proceeding heard first. In para. 11 of his reasons, the motion judge acknowledged there would be a separate proceeding at a later date with respect to the division of property; however, he did not link this fact to the forum non conveniens analysis; 6.
The applicable law with respect to the division of marital property is the Marital Property Act . The applicable law with respect to spousal support, given the length of the marriage, and the period of dependency, is grounded in s. 15 of the Divorce Act ; however, the analysis did not conclude whether the issues in dispute would be decided based on Canadian law and principles, or Portuguese law. The analysis concerning the enforcement, or the variation of an order arising from the proceedings in Portugal was not in accord with jurisprudence from this Court. [ 26 ] In
summary, the motion judge did not determine whether there is comity between the Province of New Brunswick and Portugal with respect to important issues such as the entitlement and the quantum of spousal support, or the division of marital property. The motion judge was aware the Portuguese court would address the issues of spousal support as well as the division of marital property; however, there was no analysis whether the matters would be treated and decided in conformity with Canadian family law principles, or whether orders made in Portugal could be enforced in this country.
The motion judge’s reliance on the affidavit filed by legal counsel for Mr. P. constitutes an error, as the affidavit did not adequately address the above questions. Factors such as the applicable law, the ability to enforce the foreign judgment in the Province of New Brunswick, comity, valuation issues and evidentiary questions concerning the disputed date of separation should have been central to the motion judge’s analysis with respect to forum non conveniens . The analysis was incomplete.
The combined effect of the motion judge’s failure to complete the analysis set out by the Supreme Court, in the context of his decision, persuades me he erred when he found Portugal was the more convenient forum and when he ordered a stay of the New Brunswick proceedings. As such, appellate intervention is warranted. IV. Disposition [ 27 ] The appeal is allowed. The order of the motion judge to stay the proceedings is set aside. The order awarding Mr. P. costs of $750 is also set aside. Ms. V is entitled to costs on the appeal which I assess at $2,500. ______________________________ BARBARA L. BAIRD, J.A.
WE CONCUR:
___________________________ BRADLEY V. GREEN, J.A. ___________________________ RAYMOND T. FRENCH, J.A. Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par LA JUGE BAIRD I. Introduction et contexte [1] Le 18 août 2015, le juge saisi de la motion a suspendu la requête en divorce déposée par M me V. au Nouveau-Brunswick au motif que le Portugal était le ressort le plus approprié. M me V. affirme que la décision du juge saisi de la motion était erronée et devrait être annulée avec dépens. [2] En 1997, M. P. et M me V. se sont épousés au Portugal. Leur fils, J., est né en 1998.
En 1999, ils sont tous partis vivre au Nouveau-Brunswick, M. P. devant occuper auprès d’une société néo-brunswickoise un nouvel emploi d’ingénieur en logiciel. M. P. et M me V. ont vécu ensemble jusqu’à ce qu’en 2014, cette dernière rentre définitivement au Portugal. Les parties ne s’entendent pas sur la date exacte de leur séparation. M. P. et le fils J. continuent de résider dans le foyer matrimonial au Nouveau-Brunswick. [3] Au cours du mariage, M me V. a été traitée pour divers problèmes médicaux, y compris le trouble bipolaire et le cancer.
En décembre 2013, M me V. a été hospitalisée, en état critique, et n’a obtenu son congé qu’en janvier 2014, celle-ci ayant été remise aux soins de M. P. Le 12 février 2014, on a réadmis M me V. à l’hôpital dans un état critique. Peu après, la famille de M me V. au Portugal a exprimé des inquiétudes quant à son bien-être et, le 28 février 2014, après un échange de courriels, M. P. et J. se sont rendus avec M me V. dans ce pays, où sa mère et sa sœur l’ont placée dans un établissement de santé privé, contre la volonté de M. P., qui, selon son affidavit, souhaitait plutôt son placement dans un établissement public.
M. P. a déclaré dans son témoignage que son épouse avait droit aux [TRADUCTION] « services de santé publics, prestations sociales, prestations de retraite anticipée, indemnités pour cause de maladie, consultations médicales ainsi qu’à la tutelle légale au Portugal ». [4] Lorsqu’on l’a admise dans l’établissement de santé privé, M me V. était mal nourrie et elle a eu besoin de soins importants. Son avocat a déclaré que sa santé s’était améliorée depuis.
Ses parents la soutiennent [TRADUCTION] « entièrement » et, dans son affidavit, elle a déclaré qu’elle ne savait guère quand une ordonnance alimentaire provisoire au profit d’un époux pourrait être obtenue au Portugal ni si une telle ordonnance pouvait être exécutée au Nouveau-Brunswick. [5] Les deux parties ont reconnu qu’en juin 2014, la mère de M me V. et M. P. s’étaient échangés des courriels quant à l’éventuelle négociation entre eux d’une entente financière. En juillet 2014, M.
P. a retenu les services d’un avocat au Portugal à cette fin, mais les tentatives menées avec l’avocat de M me V. au Portugal pour en arriver à un règlement amiable ont échoué. En août 2014, M. P. a entamé une instance en divorce au Portugal [TRADUCTION] « sans le consentement de l’autre époux ». La date de l’audience initiale avait été fixée au 26 février 2015; le tribunal portugais a toutefois prononcé l’ajournement parce qu’on n’avait pas démontré la signification en bonne et due forme à M me V. des documents requis. Le 7 novembre 2014, avant que M.
P. ne tente de signifier sa requête en divorce à M me V., cette dernière a elle-même déposé une requête en divorce au Nouveau-Brunswick, sous le régime de la Loi sur le divorce , L.R.C. 1985, ch. 3 (2 e suppl.) (la Loi ), par laquelle elle sollicitait le divorce et des mesures accessoires ainsi que la répartition des biens matrimoniaux sous le régime de la
Loi sur les biens matrimoniaux , L.R.N.-B. 2012, ch. 107. M. P. a accusé
réception de cette requête en divorce le 12 novembre 2014. Le 5 mars 2015, le tribunal portugais a désigné la sœur de Mme V. commetutrice légale temporaire de cette dernière pour l’instance en divorce au Portugal. [6] Le 26 novembre 2014, M. P. a déposé un avis de motion visant à ce que la province du Nouveau-Brunswick soit déclaréeforum non conveniens, et que, par voie de conséquence, on y suspende l’instance. La motion a été entendue le 18 février 2015 et, le2 mars 2015, une ordonnance de rejet de la motion a été rendue. Le 17 mars 2015, M.
P. a déposé un deuxième avis de motion, faisantvaloir que la province du Nouveau-Brunswick était un forum non conveniens et sollicitant la suspension de l’instance. Dans sondeuxième avis de motion, M. P. a fourni davantage d’information à la cour à l’appui de sa demande. La motion a été entendue le23 mars, le 9 juin et le 24 juillet 2015. La décision a été rendue oralement le 18 août 2015, les motifs étant déposés le21 septembre 2015. Le juge saisi de la motion a ordonné la suspension de l’instance en divorce au Nouveau-Brunswick, et il a condamné Mme V. aux dépens, qu’il a fixés à 750 $. [7] Selon M.
P., il convient davantage d’instruire l’instance au Portugal puisque Mme V. y réside et que,[TRADUCTION] « croit-il », elle pourrait y avoir des biens d’entreprise par la détention d’un intérêt indéterminé dans une sociétéappartenant à sa famille. M. P. a fait valoir que les éléments de preuve d’ordre médical courants se trouvaient au Portugal, que le tribunalportugais allait [TRADUCTION] « aborder les mêmes questions qu’un tribunal canadien » et que l’instruction de l’instance en divorce au Portugal n’entraînerait aucun préjudice.
Mme V. demande, pour sa part, l’annulation de la décision du juge saisi de la motion, pour lesmotifs suivants : (1) il a commis des erreurs manifestes et dominantes lorsqu’il a tiré certaines conclusions de fait, et (2) il a analyséerronément la question du forum non conveniens. En faisant preuve de la déférence qui s’impose à l’égard de sa décision, je conclus quele juge saisi de la motion a fait une analyse incomplète de la question du forum non conveniens, puisque, on le verra plus loin, il a faitabstraction de facteurs pertinents.
J’accueillerais l’appel et j’annulerais l’ordonnance de suspension de l’instance au Nouveau-Brunswick. II. Norme de contrôle [8] Les ordonnances procédurales, de nature discrétionnaire, appellent la déférence. La décision de suspendre une instance sur lefondement de la doctrine du forum non conveniens est discrétionnaire. Tel qu’on l’a déclaré dans Doiron c.
Haché, 2005 NBCA 75, 290 R.N.-B. (2e) 79, toutefois, « [l]e pouvoir discrétionnaire doit être exercé de façon judiciaire, c’est-à-dire [TRADUCTION] « suivant lesrègles de la raison et de la justice et non selon une opinion personnelle », [TRADUCTION] « selon les règles du droit », et ne doit pasêtre exercé d’une manière qui soit [TRADUCTION] « arbitraire, vague et fantaisiste, mais de façon régulière et conforme au droit » »(par. 57). La Cour suprême offre des orientations, quant à l’opportunité d’une suspension d’instance lorsque divers tribunaux sontsusceptibles d’être saisis, dans Amchem Products Inc. c.
Colombie-Britannique (Workers’ Compensation Board), (SCC), [1993] 1 R.C.S. 897, [1993] A.C.S. n° 34 (QL), le juge Sopinka, aux par. 25 à 56. Se reporter également aux propos du juge enchef Drapeau, s’exprimant au nom de la Cour, dans La succession de feu André Gauthier c. Coutu et autres, 2006 NBCA 16, 296 R.N.-B. (2e) 34, aux par. 53 à 57. La Cour suprême déclare, dans Club Resorts Ltd. c.
Van Breda, 2012 CSC 17, [2012] 1 R.C.S. 572,qu’en « l’absence d’une erreur de droit ou d’une erreur manifeste et grave dans l’établissement des faits pertinents […] les juridictionssupérieures feront preuve de déférence » à l’égard de l’exercice de pouvoir discrétionnaire par le juge saisi d’une motion (par. 112). [9] L’appelante fait valoir que, le juge saisi de la motion ayant commis des erreurs tant de fait que de droit, sa décision n’appellepas la déférence. Il est maintenant bien établi que la norme de l’erreur « manifeste et dominante » s’applique au contrôle des conclusionsde fait.
Pour être considérée « manifeste et dominante », l’erreur dans l’interprétation des faits doit porter sur l’essence de la question à trancher, et avoir une incidence « importante » plutôt que « secondaire » (Gillis c. R., 2014 NBCA 58, 426 R.N.-B. (2e) 1, au par. 76; R.c. Lohrer, 2004 CSC 80, [2004] 3 R.C.S. 732, aux par. 1 et 2). La Cour doit déterminer, par conséquent, si l’interprétation de la preuveétait si erronée que la décision ne saurait être maintenue, et si le juge saisi de la motion a appliqué le bon critère dans son analyse de laquestion du forum non conveniens. III.
Analyse [10] Dans mon analyse, j’examinerai d’abord si les prétendues erreurs de fait sont telles qu’elles peuvent être considérées comme« manifestes et dominantes », je me pencherai ensuite sur le critère en deux volets établi par la Cour suprême, je traiterai brièvement dulien substantiel avant d’aborder, enfin, l’analyse par le juge saisi de la motion de la question du forum non conveniens. Je commencerai par l’argument de l’appelante selon lequel le juge saisi de la motion a mal interprété la preuve.
Mme V. soutient que le juge saisi de lamotion n’a pas tenu compte d’éléments de preuve clés figurant à l’annexe B qu’elle avait jointe à sa requête en divorce. Je conclus, à cetitre, que le motif invoqué par le juge saisi de la motion pour faire abstraction de cette preuve s’appuyait sur une conclusion erronée. Lejuge a décrit l’annexe comme un affidavit et conclu que le document n’avait pas été fait sous serment devant un notaire. Le juge saisi dela motion a déclaré : [TRADUCTION] « [L.G.V.] a signé le 29 octobre 2014 l’affidavit joint à la requête en divorce.
Aucun témoin n’a attesté [sa signature sur] l’affidavit, et Mme V. ne l’a pas signé devant un notaire » (par. 5). Il n’a pas mentionné, toutefois, que Mme V.avait introduit l’annexe B comme pièce à son affidavit en réponse (par. 9). Compte tenu des questions qu’on examinera plus en détail,toutefois, je ne suis pas convaincue que l’omission est suffisamment grave pour mériter des observations supplémentaires.
[11] Lorsqu’elle a signé sa requête en divorce, M me V. a déclaré qu’elle n’avait connaissance d’aucune autre instance se rapportant à l’échec de son mariage.
Le juge saisi de la motion a invoqué cette déclaration pour conclure au manque de sincérité de M me V. puisqu’une instance en divorce était déjà en cours au Portugal; sur ce point, toutefois, de nombreux éléments de preuve démontraient qu’on n’avait pas signifié les documents portugais en bonne et due forme à M me V. [12] M me V. soutient en outre que le juge saisi de la motion a commis une erreur en admettant un affidavit fait sous serment par l’avocat de M. P. au Portugal.
Même s’il a souligné à bon droit qu’il était inhabituel d’admettre un affidavit fait sous serment par un avocat, le juge a renvoyé à ce document et il l’a invoqué à l’appui de sa conclusion.
On ne traitait pas dans l’affidavit de questions fondamentales comme les motifs de divorce en droit portugais, les conditions en matière de résidence, l’incidence éventuelle de la faute sur l’issue, le mode d’évaluation du droit aux aliments matrimoniaux ainsi que du montant de ces aliments, non plus que de la question de savoir si le principe de courtoisie s’appliquait pour ces questions entre le Canada et le Portugal et si on allait répartir les biens matrimoniaux au Portugal de la même façon qu’ils le seraient au Nouveau-Brunswick.
L’absence de ces renseignements est significative, et touche au cœur même de la question que le juge saisi de la motion avait à trancher. [13] Les parties ne s’entendent pas sur la date de leur séparation. Selon M. P., la séparation a eu lieu en 2012, tandis que selon M me V., elle se serait produite en 2014, lorsqu’elle a quitté le Canada pour le Portugal. Dans sa requête en divorce, M. P. a déclaré que sa résidence était située à Ribeira Grande, une ville des Açores, au Portugal, et que les biens en litige avaient une valeur totale de 30 000 €.
Ces faits importants ne correspondaient pas aux renseignements financiers produits par M me V., mais le juge saisi de la motion n’en a pas fait mention dans ses motifs. On ne sait pas quelle incidence a eu, le cas échéant, l’assertion de résidence au Portugal de M. P. sur la reconnaissance par le tribunal portugais de sa compétence; je conclus néanmoins que M. P. n’était pas domicilié au Portugal lorsqu’il y a déposé sa requête en divorce, et que M me V. n’y vivait que depuis quelques mois.
Même si je devais conclure que le principe de courtoisie s’applique entre le Canada et le Portugal quant à la question de la résidence, rien dans le dossier dont le juge disposait ne confirme que le Portugal avait compétence au moment du dépôt de la requête en divorce de M. P., ou que ce pays appliquerait le droit canadien aux faits de l’espèce. Le paragraphe 22(1) de la Loi exige que l’un des ex-époux ait résidé habituellement dans le pays étranger pendant l’année précédant l’introduction de l’instance. Il s’agit d’un élément important qui manquait dans l’information dont la cour était saisie.
Nul ne conteste que les tribunaux du Nouveau-Brunswick ont compétence pour l’instruction tant de l’instance en divorce que de l’instance sous le régime de la
Loi sur les biens matrimoniaux , en raison du lien substantiel qui existe entre les parties et ce ressort. Je désire toutefois, avant de poursuivre, étayer cet énoncé. [14] Le juge saisi de la motion conclut dans ses motifs que, mis à
part le dépôt par M me V. de sa requête en divorce au Nouveau- Brunswick, les tribunaux du Portugal ont compétence pour instruire le divorce et pour répartir les biens matrimoniaux et les dettes matrimoniales. Cela ne ressortait pas clairement de l’information communiquée dans l’affidavit de l’avocat portugais de M. P. Avec égards, en effectuant l’analyse, on devrait partir de l’hypothèse que les tribunaux du Nouveau-Brunswick disposent de la compétence. Le fardeau se déplace ensuite vers M.
P., qui doit établir qu’il existe un lien plus étroit avec le Portugal, et que les tribunaux portugais appliqueraient le droit canadien. À l’appui de ma conclusion, les faits suivants sont pertinents : 1. Les parties ont vécu ensemble au Nouveau-Brunswick depuis 1999 [TRADUCTION] « jusqu’à ce que L.G.V. retourne au Portugal en 2014 ». 2. Leur fils, J., est un résident du Nouveau-Brunswick et il a plus de 17 ans. 3. Les biens matrimoniaux connus sont situés au Nouveau-Brunswick, et M me V. pourrait posséder au Portugal des biens d’entreprise de valeur inconnue. 4. M.
P. travaille au Nouveau-Brunswick, il y gagne son revenu et sa pension est ici. 5. Les tribunaux du Nouveau-Brunswick sont compétents à l’égard des questions juridiques en litige, parce que M. P. y réside et que les biens matrimoniaux se trouvent physiquement ici. [15] Le juge saisi de la motion a conclu que les tribunaux du Portugal étaient compétents, comme les parties s’y étaient mariées en 1997, et que le tribunal portugais examinerait les mêmes questions qu’un tribunal canadien. Il n’a pas effectué l’analyse exposée par la Cour suprême pour étayer cette conclusion.
Dans l’arrêt Club Resorts Ltd. , le juge LeBel relève trois facteurs qu’il importe de prendre en
compte pour décider du lex loci forum : la simple reconnaissance de compétence, la doctrine du forum non conveniens et la reconnaissance des jugements étrangers (par. 15 et 16). On a parfait ce cadre analytique dans les arrêts complémentaires Breeden c. Black , 2012 CSC 19 , [2012] 1 R.C.S. 666 , et Éditions Écosociété Inc. c. Banro Corp. , 2012 CSC 18 , [2012] 1 R.C.S. 636 . La Cour suprême reconnaît que le rôle des tribunaux est d’empêcher la recherche du ressort le plus favorable et elle met au point une analyse en deux volets. On met l’accent dans le premier volet sur le critère du lien substantiel.
Cela impose à l’auteur de la motion de produire une preuve établissant, quant à la simple reconnaissance de la compétence, un « facteur de rattachement créant une présomption ». Si la question est présumée se rattacher au ressort, le fardeau se déplace vers la
partie intimée, qui doit alors réfuter la présomption. Il faut produire à ce stade une preuve démontrant que l’autre tribunal est plus approprié. Divers facteurs, comme le lieu où se trouvent les témoins, l’exécution d’ordonnances, la question de savoir si l’autre ressort peut régler les questions de manière juste et efficace, la multiplicité possible des instances et les principes de la courtoisie, doivent être pris en compte avant de déférer l’instance à l’autre ressort (voir Breeden , par. 22 à 36 , Club Resorts Ltd. , par. 102 et 103 ).
La Cour suprême fournit une liste non exhaustive de facteurs de rattachement (voir aussi La succession de feu André Gauthier c. Coutu et autres , 2006 NBCA 16 , 296 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 34 , le juge en chef Drapeau s’exprimant au nom de la Cour). On examinera ces facteurs plus loin dans les présents motifs. [16] Une fois tranchée la question de la simple reconnaissance de compétence, la cour s’attaque au deuxième volet de l’analyse, soit l’application de la doctrine du forum non conveniens . La Cour suprême déclare que c’est à cette étape que la
partie intimée doit faire la preuve que l’autre ressort est le plus approprié. [17] J’en viens maintenant à l’analyse effectuée par le juge saisi de la motion de la doctrine du forum non conveniens , en vue de déterminer si les prétendues erreurs de fait étaient manifestes et dominantes au point d’entacher le résultat, et s’il a appliqué correctement ou non les principes juridiques aux faits de l’espèce.
Je conclus qu’en elles-mêmes les erreurs de fait n’étaient pas manifestes et dominantes; toutefois, la question plus fondamentale est celle de savoir comment ces erreurs, en conjonction avec l’analyse, ont influé sur la conclusion du juge saisi de la motion selon laquelle le Portugal était un ressort plus approprié. [18] Le juge LeBel déclare ce qui suit dans Breeden : Après avoir conclu à l’existence d’un lien réel et substantiel entre les actions et l’Ontario, je dois maintenant déterminer si le tribunal ontarien devrait néanmoins décliner compétence au motif que le tribunal d’un autre ressort constitue clairement un tribunal plus approprié pour instruire les actions.
Les appelants soutiennent que l’Illinois est un ressort nettement plus approprié que l’Ontario. Pour les motifs qui suivent, je ne souscris pas à cette conclusion. Dans l’analyse relative au forum non conveniens , il incombe à la
partie qui soulève cette question de démontrer que le tribunal de l’autre ressort constitue un tribunal nettement plus approprié ( Club Resorts , par. 103). Les facteurs à prendre en compte pour déterminer si un autre tribunal est nettement plus approprié sont nombreux et variables. Bien qu’ils émanent de la common law, ils ont aussi été codifiés, par exemple dans une liste non exhaustive au par. 11(2) de la Court Jurisdiction and Proceedings Transfer Act , S.B.C. 2003, ch. 28, de la Colombie-Britannique.
Cette loi, tout comme d’autres lois, est inspirée d’une loi uniforme proposée par la Conférence pour l’harmonisation des lois au Canada ( Teck Cominco Metals Ltd. c. Lloyd’s Underwriters , 2009 CSC 11 , [2009] 1 R.C.S. 321 , par. 22 ; Club Resorts , par. 105-106) – la Loi uniforme sur la compétence des tribunaux et le renvoi des instances (« LUCTRI »). L’article 11 de la LUCTRI est ainsi libellé : 11
(1) Après avoir pris en considération l’intérêt des parties à une instance et les fins de la justice, le tribunal peut refuser d’exercer sa compétence territoriale à l’égard de l’instance si, à son avis, il conviendrait mieux qu’un tribunal d’un autre État entende l’instance.
(2) Lorsqu’il détermine si c’est lui ou un tribunal à l’extérieur de [province ou territoire qui adopte la Loi ] qui constitue le ressort approprié pour entendre l’instance, le tribunal doit prendre en considération les circonstances pertinentes, notamment :
a) dans quel ressort il serait plus commode et moins coûteux pour les parties à l’instance et leurs témoins d’être entendus;
b) la loi à appliquer aux questions en litige;
c) le fait qu’il est préférable d’éviter la multiplicité des instances judiciaires;
d) le fait qu’il est préférable d’éviter que des décisions contradictoires soient rendues par différents tribunaux;
e) l’exécution d’un jugement éventuel;
f) le fonctionnement juste et efficace du système judiciaire canadien dans son ensemble.
[par. 22 et 23] [19] Tout ce qui précède sert de fondement à notre analyse. Dans Breeden , la Cour suprême tire la conclusion suivante : « L’analyse relative au forum non conveniens n’exige pas que ces facteurs convergent tous vers un seul et même ressort ou que l’on procède à un simple décompte numérique de ceux-ci. Elle exige toutefois qu’un ressort apparaisse comme étant nettement plus approprié » (par. 37). Le fardeau de preuve, on l’a dit, incombe à la
partie qui soulève la question du forum non conveniens . Dans Éditions Écosociété , la Cour suprême réaffirme le cadre analytique pertinent et applique les critères énoncés dans Club Resorts Ltd. Le tribunal qui instruit une demande de suspension d’instance doit, pour y faire droit, conclure qu’un autre ressort est mieux en mesure de régler le litige de façon juste et efficace. La doctrine est axée essentiellement sur le contexte de chaque affaire, et sur les facteurs dont le tribunal peut tenir compte dans sa décision d’appliquer la doctrine ( Club Resorts Ltd . , par. 105 et 110 ).
Si je conclus que le juge saisi de la motion a fait abstraction de facteurs pertinents dans son analyse, a commis une erreur de principe ou a tiré une conclusion déraisonnable, sa décision ne saurait être maintenue. Dans Forsythe c. Westfall , 2015 ONCA 810 , [2015] O.J. No. 6134 , le juge MacFarland, s’exprimant au nom de la cour, formule les observations suivantes : [TRADUCTION] [L]e tribunal doit veiller à ne pas confondre la simple reconnaissance de compétence et la doctrine du forum non conveniens . Il s’agit de notions distinctes.
Le juge LeBel l’a ainsi souligné dans Van Breda , au par. 101 : « Cette doctrine entre en jeu une fois la compétence établie. Elle n’intervient aucunement dans l’analyse relative à l’existence de la compétence ». [par. 51] [20] Examinons maintenant l’analyse du juge saisi de la motion à la lumière des « circonstances » et des facteurs pertinents, considérés déterminants quant à la question du lex loci forum par le juge LeBel dans Breeden . Pour ce qui est du droit applicable, on ne précisait pas dans l’affidavit déposé par l’avocat portugais de M.
P., admis comme exact et complet par le juge saisi de la motion, si le tribunal portugais allait statuer sur les mesures accessoires conformément au droit canadien. L’affidavit, truffé d’allégations de faute matrimoniale portées contre M me V., se termine comme suit : [TRADUCTION] Le comportement de l’intimée au fil des ans, lequel a conduit à la séparation de facto du couple en avril 2012 et qui se poursuit toujours, de manière grave et répétée, enfreint manifestement les devoirs conjugaux de respect, de coopération et d’assistance prévus aux articles 1672 et suivants du code civil.
Cela confère au requérant le droit de demander, par la présente action en justice, leur divorce, ce qu’il fait dès maintenant conformément à l’article 1773 du code civil portugais. [p. 46 du cahier d’appel] Ces propos auraient dû attirer l’attention du juge saisi de la motion sur la possibilité que la faute soit toujours un enjeu dans les affaires matrimoniales au Portugal, alors que le Canada s’est défait de ce concept par la proclamation de la
Loi sur le divorce . En 1985, le Canada a adopté un régime de divorce sans égard à la faute, en retenant toutefois les motifs – qui sont toutefois considérés comme exceptionnels – de l’adultère et de la cruauté physique et mentale. [21] Le juge saisi de la motion ne s’est pas penché sur l’absence de preuve quant à la question de savoir si on allait reconnaître et exécuter dans notre ressort une ordonnance alimentaire au profit d’un époux rendue au Portugal.
Le juge saisi de la motion a présumé que les ordonnances rendues au Portugal pouvaient être « homologuées » au Canada; aucune preuve, toutefois, n’étayait cette conclusion (par. 21). Il a en outre ajouté ce qui suit : [TRADUCTION] « Les preuves du mariage se trouvent dans ce ressort et les seuls éléments qui nécessitent un apport du Nouveau-Brunswick sont de nature incidente, savoir la garde de l’adolescent et l’accès auprès de lui ainsi que les biens réels et les éléments d’actif se trouvant dans notre ressort.
Ces questions peuvent être tranchées par le tribunal au Portugal et les décisions confirmées par la Cour dans notre ressort » (par. 23). Avec égards, je ne suis pas de cet avis. Les questions concernant la garde d’enfants, l’accès auprès d’enfants, les aliments au profit d’un époux et la répartition des biens matrimoniaux ne peuvent être considérées [TRADUCTION] « de nature incidente ». Ces questions sont au cœur même du litige, et on n’a aucunement analysé sur quel fondement un tribunal portugais pourrait les trancher. [22] Dans Leonard c.
Booker , 2007 NBCA 71 , 321 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 340 , la Cour a conclu qu’on ne pouvait pas modifier dans notre ressort les ordonnances alimentaires au profit d’un enfant ou d’un époux rendues, dans une instance en divorce, à l’étranger. S’exprimant au nom de la Cour, la juge Larlee déclare ce qui suit : Bien que l’arrêt Rothgiesser ait porté sur une ordonnance alimentaire au profit de l’épouse, je suis d’avis qu’il énonce également le droit
applicable aux ordonnances alimentaires au profit d’un enfant et que les renvois aux ordonnances alimentaires au profit d’un épouxpourraient tout aussi bien s’appliquer aux ordonnances alimentaires au profit d’un enfant : [TRADUCTION] « En vertu de la Loi [sur ledivorce], les tribunaux canadiens peuvent uniquement modifier une ordonnance alimentaire au profit d’un époux rendue dans le cadred’un divorce prononcé au Canada : ils n’ont pas la compétence de modifier une ordonnance alimentaire rendue à l’étranger.
Lacompétence de modifier une ordonnance alimentaire au profit d’un époux rendue à l’étranger ne peut provenir que d’une loi provincialesur l’exécution des ordonnances alimentaires » (au par. 20). Au Nouveau-Brunswick, il s’agit de la
Loi sur l’établissement et l’exécutionréciproque des ordonnances de soutien, qui prévoit effectivement le régime à appliquer pour modifier des ordonnances alimentaires, quecelles-ci soient au profit d’un époux ou d’un enfant. Si la
Loi sur le divorce prévoyait la question, ou s’il était impossible de séparer lesordonnances alimentaires des ordonnances de garde, il faudrait se demander dans quel but on aurait légiféré cet aspect de la
Loi surl’établissement et l’exécution réciproque des ordonnances de soutien. À l’appui de cette conclusion, l’arrêt Rothgiesser mentionne deuxautres décisions, aux par. 48 et 49, portant sur l’interaction entre la
Loi sur le divorce et ces lois provinciales (voir Trotter c. Trotter(1992), (ON SCDC), 90 D.L.R. (4th) 554 (C. Ont. (Div. gén.)), [1992] O.J. No. 733 (QL), et Smibert c. Smibert(1996), (SK KB), 147 Sask. R. 149 (C.B.R.), [1996] S.J. No. 496 (QL)). Au par. 46 de l’arrêt Rothgiesser, la Cour cite un extrait de Payne on Divorce : [TRADUCTION] « L’article 5 de la
Loi sur le divorce nedonne pas aux tribunaux canadiens compétence pour modifier une ordonnance alimentaire rendue à l’étranger, bien que les tribunauxcanadiens puissent exercer cette compétence en vertu des lois provinciales sur l’exécution réciproque des ordonnances alimentaires. »
LaLoi sur l’établissement et l’exécution réciproque des ordonnances de soutien est une de ces lois provinciales. [par. 32 et 33] [23] L’affidavit déposé par l’avocat portugais n’indiquait pas au juge saisi de la motion si une ordonnance alimentaire rendueconformément au régime en matière de divorce portugais était exécutoire au Canada. C’est une chose que d’obtenir une ordonnance dansun ressort étranger, mais ce document n’a aucune valeur pour son récipiendaire s’il ne peut le faire exécuter. La
Loi sur l’établissement etl’exécution réciproque des ordonnances de soutien, L.N.-B. 2002, ch. I-12.05, confère le pouvoir d’enregistrer, d’homologuer etd’exécuter les ordonnances de soutien rendues en vertu des lois tant des autres provinces canadiennes que de certains États pratiquant laréciprocité. Le Règlement 2004-5, joint à
titre d’appendice « A » aux présents motifs, confirme que le Portugal n’est pas un Étatpratiquant la réciprocité. Il convient en outre de noter que la
Loi sur l’établissement et l’exécution réciproque des ordonnances desoutien ne s’applique pas aux ordonnances rendues en vertu de la
Loi sur le divorce. Je conclus que l’exécution et la modification auCanada d’une ordonnance rendue dans une instance en divorce au Portugal pourraient poser un problème, comme le domicile constituetoujours le critère prépondérant de la common law (voir Orabi c. El Qaoud, 2005 NSCA 28, [2005] N.S.J. No. 76 (QL), au par. 14).Finalement, les tribunaux du Nouveau-Brunswick n’ont pas compétence pour instruire et trancher une action en mesures accessoiresintentée sous le régime de la
Loi sur le divorce par suite d’un divorce prononcé validement à l’étranger. Dans l’arrêt Leonard, la Cour aadressé à cet égard la mise en garde suivante : « Cette proposition a été examinée à fond et rejetée dans Okmyansky :[TRADUCTION] “[L]es tribunaux ontariens n’ont pas compétence pour entendre une action en mesures accessoires et en décider envertu de la
Loi sur le divorce à la suite d’un divorce prononcé validement à l’étranger” » (par. 29). Le juge saisi de la motion n’a pasprocédé, en l’espèce, à l’examen de cette question. [24] L’affidavit de M. P. n’indiquait pas au juge saisi de la motion si le tribunal portugais allait répartir sa pension entre lui et Mme V., ou encore si la faute matrimoniale allait avoir, ou était susceptible d’avoir, une incidence sur la répartition des biensmatrimoniaux. Au Nouveau-Brunswick, la
Loi sur les biens matrimoniaux pose une présomption de répartition égale des biensmatrimoniaux et des dettes matrimoniales entre les époux, sauf en des circonstances exceptionnelles (art. 3). Rien au dossier ne montraitsur quel fondement les biens matrimoniaux sont répartis au Portugal, et le juge saisi de la motion n’a pas effectué l’analyse.
Le jugesaisi de la motion a estimé que les biens matrimoniaux seraient répartis conformément aux lois portugaises; il n’a toutefois pas déterminési le principe de courtoisie judiciaire s’appliquait, quant à la répartition des biens matrimoniaux, entre le Nouveau-Brunswick et lePortugal. La preuve par affidavit l’informait que les biens matrimoniaux seraient répartis au Portugal, sans donner aucune précision toutefois sur le mode de répartition. Le juge saisi de la motion était également convaincu que Mme V. détenait des biens d’entreprisesous forme d’un intérêt dans une entreprise familiale au Portugal.
On ne sait pas si ces biens, s’ils existent, constitueraient des biensmatrimoniaux au Portugal, et aucune preuve n’indiquait qu’un tribunal portugais procéderait à leur répartition. [25] Quant à la question de savoir dans quel ressort il serait plus commode et moins coûteux que se déroule l’instance, soit desfacteurs à considérer selon l’arrêt Breeden, les faits suivants, tout en étant pertinents, n’ont pas été pris en compte par le juge saisi de lamotion : 1. Les parties ne s’entendent pas sur la date de la séparation.
La meilleure preuve à faire valoir de part et d’autre se trouve auNouveau-Brunswick; si l’instruction avait plutôt lieu au Portugal, des témoins devraient peut-être s’y rendre pour témoigner. 2. Tant M. P. que J. résident au Nouveau-Brunswick et, quoique la garde de J. ne soit pas contestée, il serait plus facile d’obtenirau Nouveau-Brunswick les vues et préférences de ce dernier sur les droits d’accès et de visite de sa mère. 3. La preuve relative aux antécédents médicaux de Mme V. au fil des ans se trouve au Nouveau-Brunswick.
4. La preuve d’expert sur la valeur des biens matrimoniaux, comme le foyer matrimonial et son contenu, le véhicule ainsi que les régimes de retraite, tant de l’employeur que du Régime de pensions du Canada, peut être obtenue au Nouveau-Brunswick. 5. L’avocat de M. P. a déclaré qu’il y aurait, par la force des choses, de multiples instances au Portugal, l’instance en divorce devant être instruite en premier. Au paragraphe 11 de ses motifs, le juge saisi de la motion a reconnu qu’on examinerait plus tard, dans une instance distincte, la question de la répartition des biens; il n’a cependant pas établi de lien entre ce fait et l’analyse relative au forum non conveniens . 6. La
Loi sur les biens matrimoniaux est la loi qui s’applique à la répartition des biens matrimoniaux. Quant aux règles s’appliquant aux aliments au profit d’un époux, compte tenu de la durée du mariage et de la période de dépendance, le fondement juridique en est l’
article 15 de la
Loi sur le divorce ; on n’a pas conclu dans l’analyse, toutefois, si les questions en litige seraient tranchées conformément au droit et aux principes canadiens ou conformément au droit portugais.
L’analyse relative à l’exécution ou à la modification d’une ordonnance rendue dans l’instance au Portugal ne s’accordait pas avec la jurisprudence de notre Cour [26] En résumé, le juge saisi de la motion n’a pas déterminé si le principe de la courtoisie judiciaire s’appliquait, quant à d’importantes questions comme le droit aux aliments au profit d’un époux et le montant de ces aliments ainsi que la répartition des biens matrimoniaux, entre le Nouveau-Brunswick et le Portugal.
Le juge saisi de la motion savait que le tribunal portugais se pencherait sur la question des aliments au profit d’un époux ainsi que sur celle de la répartition des biens matrimoniaux; cependant, il n’a aucunement analysé si ces questions allaient être examinées et tranchées conformément aux principes du droit de la famille canadien, ni si les ordonnances rendues au Portugal étaient susceptibles d’exécution dans notre pays. Le juge saisi de la motion a commis une erreur en se fondant sur l’affidavit déposé par l’avocat de M. P., comme on ne traitait pas adéquatement de ces questions dans l’affidavit.
Le juge aurait dû faire figurer au centre de son analyse du forum non conveniens des éléments tels que le droit applicable, le caractère exécutoire du jugement étranger au Nouveau-Brunswick, la courtoisie judiciaire, les questions d’évaluation et les questions de preuve liées à la date contestée de la séparation. L’analyse effectuée était incomplète.
Le défaut du juge saisi de la motion d’effectuer l’analyse énoncée par la Cour suprême, dans le contexte particulier de sa décision, me convainc qu’il a commis une erreur en concluant que le Portugal était le ressort le plus approprié et en ordonnant la suspension de l’instance au Nouveau-Brunswick. Il y a donc lieu d’intervenir. IV. Dispositif [27] L’appel est accueilli. L’ordonnance portant suspension de l’instance rendue par le juge saisi de la motion est annulée. L’ordonnance attribuant des dépens de 750 $ à M. P. est également annulée. M me V a droit aux dépens en appel, que je fixe à 2 500 $. Appendix “A”
Annexe « A » Interjurisdictional Support Orders Act, SNB 2002, CI – 12.05
Loi sur l’établissement et l’exécution réciproque des ordonnances de soutien NEW BRUNSWICK REGULATION 2004-5 Reciprocating jurisdictions 3 The following are designated to be reciprocating jurisdictions for the purposes of the Act : (
a) the following Provinces and Territories of Canada: RÈGLEMENT DU NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 2004-5 États pratiquant la réciprocité 3 Les États pratiquant la réciprocité désignés aux fins de la Loi sont les suivants:
a) les provinces et territoires du Canada suivants : (
i) Alberta,
(
i) Alberta; (ii) British Columbia; (iii) Manitoba; (iv) Newfoundland; (
v) Northwest Territories; (vi) Nova Scotia; (vii) Nunavut; (viii) Ontario; (ix) Prince Edward Island; (
x) Quebec; (xi) Saskatchewan; and (xii) Yukon Territory; (
b) the following States and Territories of Australia: (
i) New South Wales; (ii) Queensland; (iii) South Australia; (iv) Tasmania; (
v) Victoria; and (vi) Western Australia; (
c) Austria; (
d) Bermuda; (
e) England; (
f) Federal Republic of Germany; (
g) Fiji; (
h) Isle of Man; (
i) New Zealand; (
j) Northern Ireland; (
k) Republic of Poland; (
l) Republic of Trinidad and Tobago; (
m) Scotland; (
n) Singapore; and (
o) the United States of America, including the fifty States, American Somoa, District of Columbia, Guam, Puerto Rico, United States Virgin Islands and any other jurisdiction of the United States of America participating in Title IV-D of the Social Security Act (United States of America). (ii) Colombie-Britannique, (iii) Île-du-Prince-Édouard, (iv) Manitoba, (
v) Nouvelle-Écosse, (vi) Nunavut, (vii) Ontario, (viii) Québec, (ix) Saskatchewan, (
x) Terre-Neuve, (xi) Territoire du Yukon, (xii) Territoires du Nord-Ouest;
b) les États et territoires de l’Australie suivants : (
i) Australie-Méridionale, (ii) Australie-Occidentale, (iii) Nouvelle-Galles du Sud, (iv) Tasmanie, (
v) Queensland, (vi) Victoria;
c) Angleterre;
d) Autriche;
e) Bermudes;
f) Écosse;
g) Fidji;
h) Île de Man;
i) Irlande du Nord;
j) Nouvelle-Zélande;
k) République de Pologne;
l) République de Trinité-et-Tobago;
m) République fédérale d’Allemagne;
n) Singapour;
o) les États-Unis d’Amérique, y compris les cinquante États, les Samoa américaines, le district fédéral de Columbia, Guam, Puerto Rico, les Îles Vierges des États-Unis et autre territoire des États-Unis d’Amérique participant au Title IV-D de la Social Security Act (États-Unis d’Amérique).