2015 NBCA 39, 2015 NBCA 39
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 16-15-CA THE MINISTER OF SOCIAL DEVELOPMENT APPELLANT LA MINISTRE DU DÉVELOPPEMENT SOCIAL APPELANTE - and - - et - T.A.P., A.H., F.M. and D.W. RESPONDENTS T.A.P., A.H., F.M. et D.W. INTIMÉS Minister of Social Development v. T.A.P., A.H., F.M. and D.W., 2015 NBCA 39 Ministre du Développement social c.
T.A.P., A.H., F.M. et D.W., 2015 NBCA 39 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Larlee The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice Baird CORAM : l’honorable juge Larlee l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge Baird Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: February 5, 2015 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : le 5 février 2015 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: Unreported Décision frappée d’appel : Inédite Preliminary or incidental proceedings: N/A Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : s.o.
Appeal heard and judgment rendered: June 23, 2015 Appel entendu et jugement rendu : le 23 juin 2015 Reasons delivered: August 20, 2015 Motifs déposés : Le 20 août 2015
Reasons for judgment by: The Honourable Justice Larlee Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge Larlee Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice Baird Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge Baird Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: Karen L. LeBlanc T.A.P. appeared in person For the respondent A.H.: Patricia Gallagher-Jette No one appeared for the respondent F.M. D.W. appeared in person For the children: Yves J. Robichaud Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appelante : Karen L.
LeBlanc T.A.P. a comparu en personne Pour l’intimée A.H. : Patricia Gallagher-Jette Personne n’a comparu pour l’intimé F.M. D.W. a comparu en personne Pour les enfants : Yves J. Robichaud THE COURT The appeal is allowed, the consolidation order set aside and it is ordered that the guardianship application be heard before the custody application is dealt with. No costs were requested therefore none are ordered. LA COUR Accueille l’appel, annule l’ordonnance de fusion et ordonne que la demande de tutelle soit entendue avant que la demande de garde soit examinée.
Aucuns dépens n’ayant été sollicités, aucuns ne sont accordés. The judgment of the Court was delivered by LARLEE, J.A.
[1] The Minister of Social Development appeals a decision of a judge of the Court of Queen’sBench, Family Division, who granted a consolidation order (Rule 6.01 of the Rules of Court of New Brunswick, NB Reg 82-73) of anapplication for guardianship of children and a custody application by grandparents of the children pursuant to the Family Services Act,S.N.B. 1980, c. F-2.2. At the hearing on June 23, 2015, the appeal was allowed. We found the motion judge erred in making aconsolidation order in this case, so it was set aside with reasons to follow. These are our reasons for decision. I.
Background [2] The respondents, A.H. and F.M., are the biological parents of a son H.M., born in 2013, and adaughter H.M., born in 2012. A.H. and the respondent, D.W., are the biological parents of a son H.H. born in 2011. F.M. was A.H.’scommon law partner and acted in loco parentis to H.H.. [3] The children have been in the consecutive care of the Minister of Social Development sinceMay 26, 2014. On June 2, 2014, the Minister filed an application seeking a Guardianship Order transferring the custody, control and careof all three children to her on a permanent basis pursuant to s. 56(1) of the Act.
On November 17, 2014, the respondent, T.A.P., thematernal grandmother of the three children, filed an application seeking various relief including: the custody, care and control of the twoyounger children pursuant to the Act; reasonable access to H.H.; the coverage of daycare expenses for the two younger children by theMinister; immediate and interim access to all of the children pending determination of the application; visitation rights for certain otherfamily members; and consolidation at trial with the appellant’s application. [4] On February 5, 2015, a judge of the Court of Queen’s Bench, focusing on “the best interests ofthe children” (Minister of Social Development v.
A.H., F.M. and D.W. (February 5 2015), Moncton FDM 408-14 (NBQB), unreported)adjourned the guardianship issue to another date and ordered the consolidation of the two applications. The Minister opposed theconsolidation, and seeks to have the decision reversed largely due to privacy and disclosure issues, hostility between the parties andbecause she did not want to become the applicant in one case and the respondent in the other. Counsel for the children also opposed theconsolidation. II. Issue [5] As a preliminary matter, leave was granted on this appeal with the consent of all parties.
Inaddition we were informed that on the date this appeal was filed, the paternal grandparents had filed an application for the custody ofH.H. and seek an order consolidating their application with the Ministerial application for guardianship. [6] There is one single issue in this appeal: whether the motion judge erred in law in consolidatingthe matter of T.A.P. v. A.H., Minister of Social Development, F.M. and D.W., Court File Number FDM 796-14 with the matter of theMinister of Social Development v. A.H., F.M. and D.W., Court File Number FDM 408-14.
More practically put: should a custodyapplication of grandparents be consolidated with a guardianship application by the Minister? III. Standard of Review [7] In State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Co. v. Privacy Commissioner of Canada andAttorney General of Canada, 2009 NBCA 5, 341 N.B.R. (2d) 1, this Court addressed the standard of review for questions of lawinvolving a discretionary judicial decision: The standard of review on a question of law is one of correctness (see Housen v. Nikolaisen, [2002] 2 S.C.R. 235, [2002] S.C.J. No. 31(QL), 2002 SCC 33, at para. 8).
In the case of a discretionary order, the standard of review is described in Beaverbrook CanadianFoundation v. Beaverbrook Art Gallery (2006), 302 N.B.R. (2d) 161, [2006] N.B.J. No. 307 (QL), 2006 NBCA 75, at para. 4: [...] Like any other discretionary judicial decision, it may be interfered with on appeal only if it is founded upon an error of law, an errorin the application of the governing principles or a palpable and overriding error in the assessment of the evidence (see British Columbia(Minister of Forests) v.
Okanagan Indian Band, 2003 SCC 71 , [2003] 3 S.C.R. 371, [2004] 2 W.W.R. 252; 313 N.R. 84; 189B.C.A.C. 161; 309 W.A.C. 161; 2003 SCC 71, at para. 43) or if it is unreasonable, in the sense that nothing in the record can justify it(see the Honourable R.P. Kerans, Standards of Review Employed by Appellate Courts (Edmonton: Juriliber Limited, 1994) at pp. 36-37and Secretary of State for Education and Science v. Tameside Metropolitan Borough Council, [1977] A.C. 1014 (H.L.), Lord Diplock atp. 1064). [para. 8]
For further discussion on the subject see recent decisions of this Court: Rose v. Her Majesty the Queen et al. , 2015 NBCA 26 , [2015] N.B.J. No. 94 (QL) ; Shanks v. Shay et al. , 2015 NBCA 2 , 429 N.B.R. (2d) 290 ; Pèse Pêche Inc. v. R. , 2013 NBCA 37 , 405 N.B.R. (2d) 212 ; Leger v. G & G Carnival Amusements Inc. et al. , 2015 NBCA 20 , [2015] N.B.J. No. 79 (QL) ; Williamson et al. v. Gillis et al. , 2011 NBCA 53 , 374 N.B.R. (2d) 311 . IV. Analysis and Decision [ 8 ] Rule 6.01 reads as follows:
6.01 Where Order May Be Made
(1) Where two or more proceedings are pending and it appears to the court that (
a) they have a question of law or fact in common, (
b) the relief claimed in them arises out of the same transaction or occurrence or series of transactions or occurrences, or (
c) for any other reason an order ought to be made under this rule, the court may order that (
d) the proceedings be consolidated, or tried or heard at the same time or one immediately after the other, or (
e) any of the proceedings be (
i) stayed until after the determination of any other of them, or (ii) asserted by way of counterclaim in any other of them.
(2) In an order under paragraph (1), the court may give directions to avoid unnecessary costs or delay and, for that purpose, the court may dispense with service of a notice of trial and may vary the procedure for setting an action down for trial.
(3) An order for the trial or hearing together of two or more proceedings, or for the trial or hearing of one immediately after the other, is subject to the discretion of the trial judge. 6.01 Cas où une ordonnance peut être rendue
(1) Lorsque plusieurs actions sont en cours et qu’il apparaît à la cour
a) qu’elles ont en commun une question de droit ou de fait,
b) que les mesures de redressement y réclamées proviennent de la même opération ou du même événement ou de la même série d’opérations ou d’événements, ou
c) qu’il est nécessaire, pour tout autre motif, de rendre une ordonnance en application de la présente règle, la cour peut ordonner
d) la fusion des instances, soit leur instruction ou audition simultanée ou consécutive, ou
e) que l’une de ces instances (
i) soit suspendue jusqu’à la résolution d’une des autres actions, ou (ii) fasse l’objet d’une demande reconventionnelle dans l’une des autres instances.
(2) Dans une ordonnance rendue en vertu du paragraphe (1), la cour peut inclure des directives tendant à éviter des frais ou des retards inutiles. À cette fin, elle peut dispenser de la signification d’un avis de procès et modifier la procédure à suivre pour mettre une action au rôle.
(3) Toute ordonnance prescrivant la réunion de plusieurs actions ou auditions ou l’instruction d’une action ou audition à la suite de l’autre est sujette à la discrétion du juge du procès.
[9] In RJ Rolls, Williston and Rolls Court Forms, 2nd ed by Mark S Hayes (Toronto, Ont.:Butterworths, 1987), vol 1 ch 11 at 3-55, the author explains: NOTE: Actions may be consolidated by order of the court pursuant to rule 6.01(1)(d). Two types of orders may be made on such amotion: 1. The actions may be formally consolidated. The two actions are then melded into one action and proceed as such; there is one setof pleadings, one set of discoveries, one judgment and one bill of costs. 2. The actions may be ordered to be heard at the same time or one immediately after the other.
They are then listed for trial oneafter the other to be tried in such manner as the court directs. Usually, the trial judge will order that the evidence heard in one action is tobe taken as evidence in the other action or actions. Nevertheless, the actions maintain their separate identities, and there are separatepleadings, separate judgments and separate bills of costs, although there may be common discoveries.
Alternatively, the court may order that any of the proceedings which are the subject of the motion be stayed until after the determinationof any other of them, or be asserted by way of counterclaim in any other of them under the provisions of rule 6.01(1)(e). [10] The specific sections of Rule 6.01 that, in my view, are applicable in these circumstances areRule 6.01(1)(
d) or (e)(i). They allow the proceedings to be heard one immediately after the other or that one proceeding be stayed untilafter the determination of the other. [11] This Court has had the occasion to examine the effect of Rule 6. In the earlier jurisprudence ofthe Court, Pic Realty Canada Limited v. Rocca Group Limited (1982), (NB CA), 41 N.B.R. (2d) 271, [1982] N.B.J.No. 256 (C.A.) (QL), Stratton J.A. describes the effect of Rule 6: Rule 6 provides for the consolidation of actions for trial or the holding of trials together or sequentially.
In determining whether to ordereither consolidation, trial together or trial sequentially, the court is not restricted to pending actions which have some common questionof law or fact, or to pending actions in which the claims relate to the same, or a series of the same transactions or occurrences. The courthas a wide discretion conferred upon it by Rule 6.01(1)(
c) to make an order if "for any other reason it is desirable to make an order underthis rule". As I read Rules 5 and 6, a plaintiff is not required to join several claims in one action although if the relief claimed arises out of or relatesto the same transaction or occurrence, or if a common question of fact or law may arise in the proceedings, consolidation or trial togetherwill generally be ordered.
Thus, in my opinion, joinder is optional though highly desirable in the interest of the convenient administrationof justice and probably should be ordered in all cases which meet the criteria unless it is established that the order will unduly complicateor delay the trial or prejudice a party. In determining the latter issue, the complication, delay or prejudice asserted by one party must bebalanced against the inconvenience, expense or embarrassment to which the other party will be put if the actions are not consolidated,tried together or tried one after the other.
Moreover, it is to be noted that the granting of an order for the trial together of two or moreactions or for the trial of one immediately after the other is not only discretionary but the order itself is subject to the discretion of thejudge who tries the case. [paras. 13-14] [12] In Mackin, P.C.J. v. New Brunswick (Minister of Justice) (1997), (NB CA),187 N.B.R. (2d) 224, [1997] N.B.J.
No. 123 (C.A.) (QL), Hoyt C.J.N.B., writing for the Court, considered a unique situation in which acase was set down for trial by a judge of the Court of Queen’s Bench and it became known that the Supreme Court of Canada would behearing appeals involving legislation that was pertinent and would presumably have an impact on the result at trial. After consideringsubmissions from counsel the trial judge stayed the action pending the decision of the Supreme Court of Canada. [13] In dismissing the appeal, this Court held that although the trial judge referred to Rule 6.01(1)(d)and (e)(
i) in his decision, he relied on his inherent jurisdiction to manage the case assigned to him to set a new trial date. The Courtconcluded that while he used the term stay of proceedings, in fact he set the matter over for trial. The trial judge has an inherentjurisdiction to manage proceedings in his or her court. As a result of that power in this case, the trial judge properly exercised hisdiscretion in making the order he did. In granting the stay, he had not abused his discretion or proceeded on a wrong principle. The staywould not cause an injustice to the plaintiff and this Court would not interfere with what was essentially a scheduling decision of thelower court.
[ 14 ] More recently in Hogan v. Doiron et al. , 2001 NBCA 97 , 243 N.B.R. (2d) 263 , Drapeau, J.A. (now C.J.N.B.) stated as follows: [...] An order for the trial together of multiple actions, unlike a consolidation order, does not result in their merger. Where, as here, two actions are to be tried at the same time pursuant to an order under Rule 6.01(1), each action maintains its distinct identity and requires the entry of a separate judgment. See W.B. Williston & R.J. Rolls, The Law of Civil Procedure , vol. 1 (Toronto: Butterworths, 1970) at 411. [para. 17] See also Hopper v.
Hopper et al. , 2011 NBCA 37 , 370 N.B.R. (2d) 355 at para. 51 . [ 15 ] The case of Gamblin v. O'Donnell , 2001 NBCA 110 , 244 N.B.R. (2d) 142 , which followed Hogan v. Doiron , dealt with a consent order for “the consolidation and hearing together” ( Gamblin , at para. 2 ) of both appeals. Despite the wording of that Order, it was apparent from the context that its purpose was to provide for a contemporaneous hearing of the two appeals, and not their consolidation. Rule 6.01(1)(
d) makes it clear that an order consolidating proceedings is distinct from an order providing that those proceedings are to be tried or heard at the same time. Both Hogan v. Doiron and Gamblin v. O'Donnell were applied in Canash CCP Ltd. v. New Brunswick Power Corp. , 2008 NBQB 29 , 326 N.B.R. (2d) 154 . [ 16 ] In my view, while the motion judge cannot be faulted for concentrating on the “best interests of the children”, on this specific procedural issue he erred in not turning his mind to the legal ramifications of a consolidation order in this type of situation.
Without referring to Rule 6, he stated “in the circumstances I’m going to consolidate the matters within the appropriate Rule of the Rules of Court . Directions may need to be given later by the trial judge with respect to who goes first, etc. but right now will be consolidated” (p. 39). [ 17 ] In the present case, the respondent grandmother seeks a custody order under s. 129(2) of the Act , not under the protection sections (Part III and IV) of the Act .
There is no evidence that the maternal grandmother ever had custody of the children and she does not fall within the definition of “parent” as defined in s. 1 of the Act . Under Parts III and IV of the Act , in order to qualify as a parent the respondent grandmother has to be a person with whom the children ordinarily reside who has demonstrated a settled intention to treat the children as children of her family ( Province of New Brunswick, as represented by the Minister of Justice and Consumer Affairs v. C.M. , 2012 NBCA 45 , 397 N.B.R. (2d) 321 , describes the meaning of a custodial relationship).
Since the respondent grandmother is not a parent, she brings her application under s. 129(2) as “any person”. The Act does not provide for competing litigation between natural parents and other interested persons.
If the two applications are consolidated the respondent biological parents might be at risk of having their s. 7 rights violated ( Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedom s), because the onus would shift to them to prove they had better parenting skills than another interested party rather than the onus being on the Minister to prove that the granting of a guardianship would be in the “best interests of the children”. These types of custodial cases do not lend themselves to consolidation orders such as in a civil action like Frigault v. DeYoung , [1996] N.B.R. (2d) (Supp.) No. 49, [1995] N.B.J.
No. 606 (Q.B.) (QL) , where one party is made plaintiff and all other parties become defendants in the consolidated action and where the party, who assumes the role of plaintiff, in the consolidated action necessarily has a claim against all of the defendants. Here, the Minister cannot be placed in the untenable position of being a respondent opposing a custody application by the respondent grandmother while seeking a guardianship order against the respondent parents. [ 18 ] Another practical issue of disclosure might arise if the two applications are merged.
If the biological parents and interested persons become parties in one application, essentially that interested party might demand that all medical, psychological, psychiatric and parental capacity assessments and social worker event documentation be disclosed to them. The information is of a very sensitive and confidential nature and was never intended to be disclosed to non-parents in the context of a consolidation of a guardianship and custody application: Minister of Social Development v. A.H., F.M. and D.W. (February 5 2015), Moncton FDM 408-14 (NBQB), unreported.
Therefore, I am of the view that the guardianship application by the Minister with the biological parents as respondents should be heard before the respondent grandmother’s application can be considered. [ 19 ] There is support for this position from jurisprudence from the Court of Queen’s Bench. In New Brunswick (Minister of Family and Community Services) v. S.S. and C.H. , 2002 NBQB 200 , [2002], N.B.J. No. 200 (QL) , Clendening J. granted a guardianship order and consequently found there was no need to address the grandparents' application for custody.
Similarly in this case, if the Minister’s application is accepted, the trial judge may reserve the question of access rights only, and allow the grandparents to address that specific question. If the guardianship order is denied, the application judge can proceed to hear the custody application. In a similar vein, in New Brunswick (Minister of Family and Community Services) v. S.S. and T.M. , 2008 NBQB 34 , 334 N.B.R. (2d) 1 , interested third parties brought a custody application.
Rideout J. held that the foster parents’ ability to bring proceedings for custody and/or adoption should be severely limited, if not precluded, until such time as a court has granted guardianship to the Minister.
[ 20 ] While there can be no consolidation of these two applications, from a reading of Rule 6 and considering the cited jurisprudence, other possibilities exist. The preferable ones, in my view, would be to hear the guardianship application first and the custody one immediately after or to stay the custody application until the guardianship application is determined pursuant to Rule 6.01(1)(
d) or (e)(i). [ 21 ] In L.G., G.P. v. New Brunswick (Minister of Social Development) and C.D.P., G.J.T. (May 12 2014), Moncton FDM 243-14 (NBQB), unreported, B.M. Robichaud J. stated at p. 4-5: In respect of Rule 6.01 , there is no doubt that the questions of fact and the questions of law are in common because at all times, whether we’re dealing with the Minister’s application or with the application of Ms. G and Mr. P, we are dealing with the best interests of the child. It is also evident that the relief claimed either by the Minister or by Ms. G and Mr.
P arise out of the same occurrences and, in that context, it is not surprising that Ms. G and Mr. P are seeking to have an order under Rule 6 of the Rules of Court for the trials to be either held together or one after the other. The important consideration, however, that also has to be addressed and has been raised by the counsel for the biological parents, CDP and GJT, is the inherent prejudice from allowing Ms. G and Mr. P to participate in the guardianship hearing, particularly in light of the various requests that they have made for disclosure of the Minister’s file.
And, as well, in my view, although we are dealing with the best interests of children in respect of either a guardianship application or a custody application, the concept is nevertheless different in a guardianship application because in a guardianship application, parents, generally, biological parents generally do not have to prove that their parenting capabilities are as good or better than foster parents.
In my view, it would be prejudicial for these two proceedings to be held at the same time and it is well difficult, in my view, to craft appropriate directions to allow the proceedings to be held one after another without visiting some sort of prejudice upon the respondents…I will therefore decline to make the order requested under Rule 6 . I would adopt this approach in the present case. The guardianship application must be heard first without merger of competing custody applications by grandparents who are not defined as “parent” under the Act .
Of course, as pointed out, Rule 6.01 allows for relief other than consolidation (including direction to avoid unnecessary costs or delay) that would not carry the same consequences as the order under appeal. In setting aside the order for consolidation, we make no ruling on any other application that may be considered under that Rule. [ 22 ] It is for those reasons that I joined my colleagues in allowing the appeal, setting aside the consolidation order, and ordering that the guardianship application be heard before the custody application is considered.
No costs were requested and so none are ordered. ____________________________________ M.E.L. LARLEE, J.A. WE CONCUR: ___________________________________ KATHLEEN A. QUIGG, J.A.
____________________________________ BARBARA L. BAIRD, J.A. Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par LA JUGE LARLEE [1] La ministre du Développement social appelle d’une décision d’un juge de la Cour du Banc de la Reine, Division de la famille, qui a ordonné la fusion (règle 6.01 des Règles de procédure du Nouveau-Brunswick , Règl. du N.-B. 82- 73) d’une demande de tutelle d’enfants et d’une demande, présentée par des grands-parents, de garde de ces enfants, l’une et l’autre introduites sous le régime de la
Loi sur les services à la famille , L.N.-B. 1980, ch. F-2.2. À l’audience, le 23 juin 2015, nous avons accueilli l’appel. Nous avons conclu que le juge saisi de la motion avait commis une erreur lorsqu’il avait rendu une ordonnance de fusion en l’espèce. Nous avons donc annulé l’ordonnance et indiqué que nos motifs suivraient. Nous donnons aujourd’hui ces motifs. I. Contexte [2] Les intimés A.H. et F.M. sont les parents biologiques d’un fils, H.M., né en 2013, et d’une fille, H.M., née en 2012. A.H. et l’intimé D.W. sont les parents biologiques d’un fils, H.H., né en 2011.
F.M. était le conjoint de fait de A.H. et il a agi pour H.H. in loco parentis . [3] Les enfants ont été pris en charge par la ministre du Développement social, par périodes consécutives, depuis le 26 mai 2014. Le 2 juin 2014, la Ministre a demandé une ordonnance de tutelle qui lui transférerait à
titre permanent la garde, la direction et la charge de chacun des trois enfants en vertu du par. 56(1) de la Loi .
Le 17 novembre 2014, l’intimée T.A.P., grand-mère maternelle des trois enfants, a déposé une requête sollicitant notamment : la garde, la direction et la charge de la sœur et du frère cadets, sous le régime de la Loi ; un accès raisonnable à H.H.; le paiement des frais de garderie des cadets par la Ministre; un accès immédiat et provisoire à tous les enfants en attendant une décision sur la demande; l’octroi de droits de visite à certains autres membres de la famille; la fusion de sa requête, au procès, avec celle de l’appelante. [4] Le 5 février 2015, un juge de la Cour du Banc de la Reine, s’attachant avant tout à « l’intérêt supérieur des enfants », a ajourné l’examen de la question de la tutelle et ordonné la fusion des deux requêtes ( Minister of Social Development c.
A.H., F.M. and D.W. , 5 février 2015, FDM 408-14, Moncton (C.B.R.N.-B.), jugement inédit). La Ministre s’est opposée à la fusion. Elle demande l’infirmation de la décision en raison surtout de problèmes liés à la divulgation de la preuve et au respect de la vie privée, de l’hostilité qui sévit entre les parties, et parce qu’elle ne veut pas se trouver requérante dans un cas, intimée dans l’autre. L’avocat des enfants s’est opposé lui aussi à la fusion. II. Question en litige [5] Au préalable, je précise que l’autorisation d’appel a été accordée avec le consentement de toutes les parties.
Par ailleurs, il nous été signalé que, à la date du dépôt de l’appel, les grands-parents paternels avaient demandé la garde de H.H. et la fusion de leur demande avec la demande de tutelle ministérielle. [6] Une seule question se pose dans le cadre du présent appel : le juge saisi de la motion a-t-il commis une erreur lorsqu’il a fusionné T.A.P. c. A.H., Minister of Social Development, F.M. and D.W. , dossier n o FDM 796-14, et Minister of Social Development c. A.H., F.M. and D.W. , dossier n o FDM 408-14?
Ou, pour donner une formulation plus pratique de la question : convient-il de fusionner une demande de garde de grands-parents et une demande de tutelle ministérielle? III. Norme de contrôle
[7] Dans State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company c. Commissaire à la protection de la vie privée du Canada et Procureur général du Canada , 2009 NBCA 5 , 341 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 1 , notre Cour a rappelé la norme de contrôle à appliquer lorsque des questions de droit font intervenir une décision judiciaire discrétionnaire : La norme de contrôle pour une question de droit est celle de la décision correcte (voir Housen c. Nikolaisen , [2002] 2 R.C.S. 235, [2002] A.C.S. n o 31 (QL), 2002 CSC 33 , au par. 8 ).
Dans le cas d’une ordonnance discrétionnaire, la norme de contrôle est décrite dans l’arrêt Beaverbrook Canadian Foundation c. Beaverbrook Art Gallery (2006), 302 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 161, [2006] A.N.-B. n o 307 (QL), 2006 NBCA 75 , au par. 4 : […] Comme toute autre décision découlant de l’exercice d’un pouvoir judiciaire discrétionnaire, la décision en l’espèce ne peut être modifiée en appel que si elle est fondée sur une erreur de droit, une erreur dans l’application des principes directeurs ou une erreur manifeste et dominante dans l’appréciation de la preuve (voir Colombie-Britannique (Ministre des Forêts) c.
Bande indienne Okanagan , [2003] 3 R.C.S. 371, [2004] 2 W.W.R. 252, 313 N.R. 84, 189 B.C.A.C. 161, 309 W.A.C. 161, 2003 CSC 71 , au par. 43 ) ou encore, que si elle est déraisonnable, c’est-à-dire s’il n’y a rien dans le dossier qui la justifie (voir les propos de R.P. Kerans dans son ouvrage Standards of Review Employed by Appellate Courts (Edmonton : Juriliber Limited, 1994), aux pages 36 et 37, et ceux de lord Diplock dans l’arrêt Secretary of State for Education and Science c.
Tameside Metropolitan Borough Council , [1977] A.C. 1014 (Ch. des lords), à la page 1064) . [par. 8] On trouvera un complément d’analyse, sur ce point, dans ces décisions récentes de notre Cour : Rose c. Sa Majesté la Reine et autres , 2015 NBCA 26 , [2015] A.N.-B. n o 94 (QL) ; Shanks c. Shay et autres , 2015 NBCA 2 , 429 R.N-B. (2 e ) 290 ; Pèse Pêche Inc. c. R. , 2013 NBCA 37 , 405 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 212 ; Leger c. G & G Carnival Amusements Inc. et autres , 2015 NBCA 20 , [2015] A.N.-B. n o 79 (QL) ; Williamson et autre c. Gillis et autre , 2011 NBCA 53 , 374 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 311 . IV.
Analyse et décision [8] La règle 6.01 est ainsi rédigée :
6.01 Where Order May Be Made
(1) Where two or more proceedings are pending and it appears to the court that (
a) they have a question of law or fact in common, (
b) the relief claimed in them arises out of the same transaction or occurrence or series of transactions or occurrences, or (
c) for any other reason an order ought to be made under this rule, the court may order that (
d) the proceedings be consolidated, or tried or heard at the same time or one immediately after the other, or (
e) any of the proceedings be (
i) stayed until after the determination of any other of them, or (ii) asserted by way of counterclaim in any other of them.
(2) In an order under paragraph (1), the court may give directions to avoid unnecessary costs or delay and, for that purpose, the court may dispense with service of a notice of trial and may vary the procedure for setting an action down for trial.
(3) An order for the trial or hearing together of two or more proceedings, or for the trial or hearing of one immediately after the other, is subject to the discretion of the trial judge. 6.01 Cas où une ordonnance peut être rendue
(1) Lorsque plusieurs actions sont en cours et qu’il apparaît à la cour
a) qu’elles ont en commun une question de droit ou de fait,
b) que les mesures de redressement y réclamées proviennent de la même opération ou du même événement ou de la même série d’opérations ou d’événements, ou
c) qu’il est nécessaire, pour tout autre motif, de rendre une ordonnance en application de la présente règle, la cour peut ordonner
d) la fusion des instances, soit leur instruction ou audition simultanée ou consécutive, ou
e) que l’une de ces instances (
i) soit suspendue jusqu’à la résolution d’une des autres actions, ou (ii) fasse l’objet d’une demande reconventionnelle dans l’une des autres instances.
(2) Dans une ordonnance rendue en vertu du paragraphe (1), la cour peut inclure des directives tendant à éviter des frais ou des retards inutiles. À cette fin, elle peut dispenser de la signification d’un avis de procès et modifier la procédure à suivre pour mettre une action au rôle.
(3) Toute ordonnance prescrivant la réunion de plusieurs actions ou auditions ou l’instruction d’une action ou audition à la suite de l’autre est sujette à la discrétion du juge du procès. [9] Dans la deuxième édition du Guide du praticien (Ottawa, Association des juristes d’expression
française de l’Ontario, 1991, vol.1, ch. 11, p. 11-1), des explications sont données sur l’application de la règle ontarienne correspondante(à noter que la règle ontarienne emploie, au lieu des mots fusion et suspension, les mots réunion et sursis) : REMARQUE : Des actions peuvent être réunies sur ordonnance du tribunal en vertu de l’alinéa 6.01 (1) d). Deux types d’ordonnancespeuvent être rendues sur présentation d’une motion à cet effet : 1. les actions peuvent être formellement réunies.
Elles forment alors une seule action qui est ainsi instruite : il y a alors une seulesérie d’actes de procédure, une seule série d’interrogatoires préalables, un seul jugement et un seul mémoire de dépens; 2. le tribunal peut ordonner l’instruction simultanée ou consécutive des actions. Elles sont alors inscrites au rôle consécutivementpour être instruites selon les directives du tribunal. Habituellement, le juge qui préside ordonnera que la preuve produite dans une actionfasse
partie de la preuve présentée dans l’(les) autre(
s) action(s). Les actions conservent néanmoins leur caractère distinct, et chacuned’elles comporte ses propres actes de procédure, son propre jugement et son propre mémoire de dépens, bien que des enquêtes préalablesconjointes puissent être tenues. En vertu de l’alinéa 6.01 (1) e), le tribunal peut subsidiairement ordonner qu’il soit sursis à une instance visée par la motion jusqu’à cequ’une décision soit rendue à l’égard de l’une des autres, ou qu’une instance visée par la motion fasse l’objet d’une demandereconventionnelle dans l’une des autres. [10] À mon sens, deux dispositions de la règle 6.01 sont applicables dans les circonstances : l’al.6.01(1)
d) ou le ss-al. e)(i). Elles permettent l’audition consécutive des instances ou la suspension d’une instance jusqu’à résolution del’autre. [11] Notre Cour a examiné déjà l’effet de la règle 6. Dans l’un des premiers arrêts de la Cour à traiter de cette règle, Pic Realty Canada Ltd. c. Rocca Group Ltd. (1982), (NB CA), 41 R.N.-B. (2e) 271, [1982] A.N.-B. no 256 (C.A.) (QL), le juge d’appel Stratton en a cerné l’effet : [TRADUCTION]La règle 6 prévoit, soit la fusion d’actions, soit l’instruction simultanée ou consécutive des actions.
Dans sa décision d’ordonner, soit lafusion d’actions, soit l’instruction simultanée ou consécutive des actions, la cour n’est pas forcée de se limiter aux actions en cours quisoulèvent une même question de droit ou de fait ou à celles où les demandes formulées se rapportent à la même transaction, au mêmeévénement ou à la même série de transactions ou d’événements. La cour possède, en vertu de l’alinéa 6.01(1)c), une large discrétionl’autorisant à rendre ordonnance « s’il est souhaitable, pour tout autre motif, de rendre une ordonnance en application de la présenterègle ».
Selon mon interprétation des règles 5 et 6, le demandeur n’est pas tenu de joindre plusieurs demandes dans une même action, maislorsque le recours demandé se rapporte à la même transaction ou au même événement ou lorsqu’une même question de droit ou de faitest soulevée dans l’instance, la fusion d’actions ou leur instruction simultanée sera ordinairement accordée.
Par conséquent, je suis d’avisque la jonction est facultative; elle est néanmoins fortement souhaitable pour la bonne administration de la justice et devrait êtreordonnée chaque fois que les conditions requises sont réunies, à moins qu’il ne soit démontré qu’une telle ordonnance risque decompliquer ou de retarder indûment le procès ou de causer un préjudice à une partie. Pour décider cette dernière question, il faut mesurerla complication, le retard ou le préjudice allégué par une
partie contre les inconvénients, les dépenses ou la gêne auxquels l’autre partiesera exposée s’il n’y a pas fusion d’actions ni instruction simultanée ou consécutive de celles-ci. Il me faut aussi souligner que ce n’estpas seulement le fait d’ordonner l’instruction simultanée ou consécutive de deux ou de plusieurs actions qui est sujet à un pouvoirdiscrétionnaire, mais que cette ordonnance est également soumise quant au fond à la discrétion du juge saisi de la cause. [par. 13 et 14] [12] Dans l’arrêt Mackin, P.C.J. c.
New Brunswick (Minister of Justice) (1997), (NB CA), 187 R.N.-B. (2e) 224, [1997] A.N.-B. no 123 (C.A.) (QL), le juge Hoyt, juge en chef du Nouveau-Brunswick, auteur desmotifs de la Cour, s’est penché sur une situation unique. Un procès avait été mis au rôle par un juge de la Cour du Banc de la Reine, puisl’on avait appris que des mesures législatives pertinentes seraient abordées dans le cadre de pourvois adressés à la Cour suprême duCanada, ce qui devait vraisemblablement avoir une incidence sur l’issue du procès.
Après avoir soupesé les arguments des avocats, lejuge du procès avait suspendu l’instance en attendant la décision de la Cour suprême du Canada. [13] Dans son débouté, notre Cour a conclu que le juge du procès, bien qu’il se fût reporté aux règles6.01(1)
d) et e)(
i) dans sa décision, s’était appuyé, pour fixer une nouvelle date de procès, sur la compétence inhérente qu’il avait de gérerl’affaire qui lui était confiée. Notre Cour a aussi jugé que, s’il avait employé l’expression « suspension de l’instance », il n’avait, dans les
faits, que mis l’affaire au rôle à une date ultérieure. Le juge du procès jouit d’une compétence inhérente de gestion de la procédure dutribunal qu’il préside. En raison de cette attribution, le juge avait exercé à bon escient son pouvoir discrétionnaire lorsqu’il avait renduson ordonnance. Par l’octroi d’une suspension, il n’avait pas abusé de son pouvoir discrétionnaire et ne s’était pas inspiré d’un principeerroné.
La suspension ne devait pas occasionner de préjudice au demandeur et notre Cour s’est refusée à intervenir dans ce qui étaitessentiellement une décision du tribunal d’instance inférieure sur la mise au rôle. [14] Dans une décision plus récente, Doiron et Careau c. Hogan, 2001 NBCA 97, 243 R.N.- B. (2e) 263, des précisions ont été apportées par le juge d’appel Drapeau (juge en chef du Nouveau-Brunswick aujourd’hui) : [TRADUCTION][...] Contrairement à une ordonnance de fusion d’actions, une ordonnance d’instruction simultanée d’actions multiples n’entraîne pasleur fusionnement.
Lorsque, comme en l’espèce, deux actions doivent être instruites simultanément en application d’une ordonnancerendue en vertu de la règle 6.01(1), chaque action conserve son identité propre et une décision distincte doit être rendue. Voir W.B.Williston et R.J. Rolls, The Law of Civil Procedure, vol. 1 (Toronto : Butterworths, 1970), à la page 411. [par. 17] On pourra se reporter également au par. 51 de Hopper c. Hopper et al., 2011 NBCA 37, 370 R.N.-B. (2e) 355. [15] Dans Gamblin c. O’Donnell et Absher, 2001 NBCA 110, 244 R.N.-B. (2e) 142, arrêt qui a suiviDoiron et Careau c.
Hogan, notre Cour était saisie d’une ordonnance par consentement qui avait prescrit la [TRADUCTION] « fusion etl’audition simultanée » (Gamblin, par. 2) des deux appels.
Malgré le libellé de cette ordonnance, le contexte indiquait qu’elle avait pourobjet de prescrire l’audition simultanée des deux appels et non pas leur fusion. La règle 6.01(1)
d) prévoit clairement qu’une ordonnancede fusion des instances est différente d’une ordonnance en prescrivant l’instruction ou l’audition simultanée. Les arrêts Doiron et Careauc. Hogan et Gamblin c. O’Donnell et Absher ont été appliqués l’un et l’autre dans Canash CCP Ltd. c.
New Brunswick Power Corp., 2008 NBQB 29 , 2008 NBBR 29, 326 R.N.-B. (2e) 154. [16] Si l’on ne peut reprocher au juge saisi de la motion de s’être concentré sur l’« intérêt supérieurdes enfants », j’estime néanmoins qu’il a fait erreur, sur ce point de procédure précis, en ne prenant pas en considération lesconséquences juridiques d’une ordonnance de fusion dans ce genre de situation. Sans se reporter à la règle 6, il a tranché ainsi :[TRADUCTION] « [D]ans les circonstances, je compte fusionner les affaires en application de la règle appropriée des Règles deprocédure.
Il se peut que, plus tard, le juge du procès ait à préciser par des directives qui agira le premier, etc., mais, pour le moment, lafusion est prononcée » (p. 39). [17] En l’espèce, la grand-mère intimée demande une ordonnance de garde sur le fondement du par.129(2) de la
Loi sur les services à la famille, et non des dispositions de protection de la Loi (parties III et IV). Rien n’indique qu’elle aitjamais eu la garde des enfants, et elle ne répond pas à la définition de « parent » de l’article premier de la Loi. Sous le régime des partiesIII et IV de la Loi, il faudrait, pour qu’elle soit considérée comme un parent, que la grand-mère intimée soit une personne avec laquelleles enfants résident ordinairement, et qui a manifesté l’intention bien arrêtée de traiter les enfants comme faisant
partie de sa famille(l’arrêt Province du Nouveau Brunswick, représentée par la ministre de la Justice et de la Consommation c. C.M. et P.M., 2012 NBCA 45, 397 R.N.-B. (2e) 321, précise le sens de « relation de garde »). La grand-mère maternelle n’étant pas un parent, elle fonde sademande de garde sur le par. 129(2), qui en permet l’attribution à « toute personne ». La Loi ne prévoit pas qu’entrent en concurrence deslitiges auxquels sont parties les parents naturels et des intéressés.
Si les deux requêtes étaient fusionnées, les parents biologiques intiméspourraient être exposés à une violation des droits que leur garantit l’art. 7 de la Charte canadienne des droits et libertés, parce que lefardeau de preuve serait déplacé et qu’il leur incomberait de prouver la supériorité de leurs habiletés de parentage sur celles d’autresintéressés, au lieu qu’il incombe à la Ministre de prouver que la tutelle servirait l’intérêt supérieur des enfants. Ce genre d’affaire degarde ne se prête pas à une ordonnance de fusion comme peut s’y prêter une poursuite civile (Frigault c.
DeYoung, [1996] N.B.R. (2d) (Suppl.) No. 49, [1995] A.N.-B. no 606 (C.B.R.) (QL)). Dans l’action fusionnée, une des parties est constituée demanderesse, toutes lesautres deviennent parties défenderesses et la
partie qui joue le rôle de demanderesse a nécessairement des prétentions contre tous lesdéfendeurs. En l’espèce, on ne peut pas placer la Ministre dans la situation intenable d’une
partie intimée qui contesterait la demande degarde de la grand-mère tandis qu’elle demande, contre les parents intimés, une ordonnance de tutelle. [18] Par ailleurs, un problème pratique de divulgation pourrait se présenter si les deux demandesétaient fusionnées.
Dans l’éventualité où les parents biologiques et des intéressés deviendraient parties à une même demande, la partieintéressée pourrait essentiellement exiger que lui soient communiqués intégralement les évaluations médicales, psychologiques etpsychiatriques, les évaluations de la capacité parentale et les comptes rendus d’événement des travailleurs sociaux. Cette information estde nature tout aussi sensible que confidentielle, et elle n’est pas censée être communiquée à des non-parents dans le contexte d’unefusion de demandes de tutelle et de garde (Minister of Social Development c.
A.H., F.M. and D.W., 5 février 2015, FDM 408-14,Moncton (C.B.R.N.-B.), décision inédite). En conséquence, je suis d’avis que la demande de tutelle de la Ministre qui constitue intimésles parents biologiques devrait être entendue avant que la demande de la grand-mère soit examinée.
[19] Mes vues sur ce point trouvent un appui dans la jurisprudence de la Cour du Banc de la Reine. Dans New Brunswick (Minister of Family and Community Services) c. S.S. , 2002 NBBR 200 , [2002] A.N.-B. n o 200 (QL) , la juge Clendening a ordonné la tutelle, à la suite de quoi elle a conclu qu’il n’était pas nécessaire d’aborder la demande de garde des grands- parents. De même, en l’espèce, si la demande de la Ministre est accueillie, le juge du procès pourra instruire ensuite uniquement la question des droits d’accès et permettre aux grands-parents de plaider sur ce point précis.
Si l’ordonnance de tutelle est refusée à la Ministre, le juge pourra entendre la demande de garde. Semblablement, dans Nouveau-Brunswick (Ministre des Services familiaux et communautaires) c. S.S. , 2008 NBBR 34 , 334 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 1 , des mis en cause intéressés avaient présenté une demande de garde.
Le juge Rideout a conclu que la possibilité pour les parents d’accueil de présenter une demande de garde ou d’adoption devrait être étroitement restreinte, sinon refusée, jusqu’à ce que la cour ait accordé la tutelle à la Ministre. [20] La fusion de ces deux demandes est exclue, mais il apparaît, à l’examen de la règle 6 et de la jurisprudence citée, que d’autres possibilités s’offrent à la Cour.
Les solutions à privilégier, à mon sens, sont l’audition consécutive de la demande de tutelle et de la demande de garde, ou la suspension de la demande de garde jusqu’à résolution de la demande de tutelle, suivant la règle 6.01(1)
d) ou la règle 6.01(1)e)(i). [21] Dans L.G., G.P. c. New Brunswick (Minister of Social Development) and C.D.P., G.J.T. (12 mai 2014, FDM 243-14, Moncton (C.B.R.N.-B.), décision inédite), la juge B.M. Robichaud a statué en ces termes (p. 4 et 5) : [TRADUCTION] Pour ce qui est de la règle 6.01 , il ne fait aucun doute que les instances ont en commun questions de fait et questions de droit, puisqu’il s’agit toujours, que nous nous penchions sur la demande de la Ministre ou sur celle de M me G et de M. P, de l’intérêt supérieur de l’enfant.
Il est aussi évident que les mesures de redressement réclamées, que ce soit par la Ministre ou par M me G et M. P, proviennent des mêmes événements. Il n’est pas étonnant, dans ce contexte, que M me G et M. P sollicitent une ordonnance, sous le régime de la règle 6 des Règles de procédure , qui prescrirait la réunion des instances ou l’instruction consécutive des instances. Une considération importante, toutefois, entre également en jeu, portée à l’attention de la Cour par l’avocat des parents biologiques, CDP et GJT, soit le caractère intrinsèquement préjudiciable qu’aurait une permission donnée à M me G et à M.
P de participer à l’audience de tutelle, vu notamment leurs diverses demandes de divulgation du dossier de la Ministre. Et de même, à mon sens, malgré qu’il soit question de l’intérêt supérieur des enfants dans une demande de tutelle comme dans une demande de garde, le concept se présente différemment dans une demande de tutelle, car les parents, en général, les parents biologiques, en général, n’ont pas à y prouver que leurs capacités de parentage valent ou dépassent celles de parents d’accueil. À mon sens, l’instruction simultanée de ces deux instances serait préjudiciable.
Il est bien difficile aussi, à mon sens, de formuler des directives appropriées permettant que les instances soient instruites consécutivement sans infliger de préjudice aux intimés sous une forme ou sous une autre… Je refuse donc de rendre l’ordonnance demandée sur le fondement de la règle 6 . Je suis d’avis d’adopter cette façon de procéder. La demande de tutelle doit être entendue la première, sans fusionnement avec la demande de garde adverse de grands-parents que la Loi ne définit pas comme des « parents ».
Bien sûr, comme nous l’avons vu, la règle 6.01 prévoit d’autres mesures que la fusion (y compris des directives tendant à éviter des frais ou des retards inutiles), qui n’auraient pas l’effet de l’ordonnance portée en appel. Par cette annulation de l’ordonnance de fusion, notre Cour ne rend aucune décision sur les autres demandes pouvant ressortir à la règle 6.01 . [22] C’est en considération des motifs qui précèdent que je me suis jointe à mes collègues pour accueillir l’appel, annuler l’ordonnance de fusion et ordonner que la demande de tutelle soit entendue avant que la demande de garde soit examinée.
Aucuns dépens n’ayant été sollicités, aucuns ne sont accordés.