2023 NBCA 50, 2023 NBCA 50
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 97-22-CA ARCHITECTURE 2000 INC. and STANTEC ARCHITECTURE LTD., bodies corporate APPELLANTS ARCHITECTURE 2000 INC. et STANTEC ARCHITECTURE LTD., corps constitués APPELANTES - and - - et - MONCTON, a municipal body corporate RESPONDENT - and - CASTLE ROCK CONSTRUCTION SERVICES INC. and VALRON ENGINEERS INC. RESPONDENTS MONCTON, corporation municipale dûment constituée INTIMÉE - et - CASTLE ROCK CONSTRUCTION SERVICES INC. et VALRON ENGINEERS INC., corps constitués INTIMÉES Architecture 2000 Inc. et al. v.
Moncton, a municipal body corporate et al., 2023 NBCA 50 CORAM: The Honourable Justice French The Honourable Justice LeBlond The Honourable Justice LeBlanc Architecture 2000 Inc. et autre c. Moncton, corporation municipale dûment constituée et autres, 2023 NBCA 50 CORAM : l’honorable juge French l’honorable juge LeBlond l’honorable juge LeBlanc Appeal from a decision of the Court of King’s Bench: September 29, 2022 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc du Roi : le 29 septembre 2022 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: 2022 NBKB 185 Décision frappée d’appel : 2022 NBBR 185
Preliminary or incidental proceedings: None Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : Aucune Appeal heard: February 28, 2023 Appel entendu : le 28 février 2023 Judgment rendered: June 22, 2023 Jugement rendu : le 22 juin 2023 Reasons for judgment by: The Honourable Justice LeBlond Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice French The Honourable Justice LeBlanc Counsel at hearing: For the appellants: Kenneth B. McCullogh, K.C., and Conor R. O’Neil For the respondent Moncton, a municipal body corporate: Peter T. Zed, K.C., and John P. Morrissy For the respondent Castle Rock Construction Services Inc.: Matthew T.
Hayes, K.C. For the respondent Valron Engineers Inc.: Ana Simões Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge LeBlond Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge French l’honorable juge LeBlanc Avocats à l’audience : Pour les appelantes : Kenneth B. McCullogh, c.r., et Conor R. O’Neil Pour l’intimée Moncton, une corporation municipale dûment constituée : Peter T. Zed, c.r., et John P. Morrissy Pour l’intimée Castle Rock Construction Services Inc.: Matthew T. Hayes, c.r.
Pour l’intimée Valron Engineers Inc. : Ana Simões THE COURT The appeal is allowed with costs of $5,000 payable by the respondent Moncton to the appellants. No costs are awarded to the respondents, Castle Rock Construction Services Inc. and Valron Engineers Inc. LA COUR L’appel est accueilli avec dépens de 5 000 $ payables par l’intimée Moncton aux appelantes. Aucuns dépens ne sont adjugés aux intimées Castle Rock Construction Services Inc. et Valron Engineers Inc.
The judgment of the Court was delivered by LEBLOND, J.A. I. Introduction [ 1 ] The respondent City of Moncton contracted with the appellant, Architecture 2000 Inc., later acquired by Stantec Architecture Ltd. (“Stantec”), to prepare the design and manage the construction of the Transportation Discovery Centre (the “Project”) as an addition to the Moncton Museum. That contract is referred to in these reasons as the Consulting Agreement. [ 2 ] The Project was done in three phases by three separate contractors, all under the supervision and direction of Stantec in accordance with the Consulting Agreement.
These three contracts were between each of the contractors and Moncton. Stantec was not a party to any one of them. The contractors for each phase were: 1. Phase 1, the respondent Castle Rock Construction Services Inc.; 2. Phase 2, Dora Construction Limited; 3. Phase 3, Design + Communications Inc. (D+C). [ 3 ] In October 2012, a dispute arose during phase 2 with respect to the construction of a sloped glass skylight in the shape of a cowcatcher over the structural steel which had been erected during phase 1. The steel was misaligned, resulting in additional cost to Dora.
Dora’s comprehensive claim, ascribing blame for the additional cost to Stantec, was delivered to Moncton on July 15, 2014. In October 2014, Dora sued Moncton but Moncton did not join Stantec as a third party to that litigation. The action was stayed pending the outcome of a private arbitration held in accordance with the phase 2 contract between Dora and Moncton.
Up to, and during the arbitration hearing, which took place in November 2015, allegations were made by a number of parties, including Moncton and Dora, that the additional construction costs were incurred as a result of Stantec’s breach of the Consulting Agreement and/or its negligence with respect to the execution of the phase 1 work. Moncton did not seek agreement from Dora to join Stantec as a party to the arbitration proceedings.
The arbitrator issued his award on March 1, 2016, ordering Moncton to pay Dora $809,283.49 in damages for breach of the phase 2 contract, interest and costs. [ 4 ] On December 5, 2016, Moncton filed the underlying action against Stantec claiming the $809,283.49 plus an additional amount of $305,589.50 for additional expenses incurred during phase 3. The initial Statement of Claim, and the next two Amended Statements of Claim, framed the action in breach of contract and tort. There was no claim for contribution and/or indemnity flowing from the arbitral award.
In January 2022, following examinations for discovery and responses to undertakings provided by Moncton, Stantec filed the underlying motion for
summary judgment seeking a dismissal of the action on the basis it was prescribed by ss. 5 and/or 14 of the Limitation of Actions Act , S.N.B. 2009, c. L-8.5 . Prior to the hearing of the motion, in its pre-hearing brief, Stantec argued that s. 14 did not merit consideration as it deals with limitation periods for claims for contribution or indemnity, none of which were pleaded by Moncton. Stantec asserted as well that there was no basis in law for such a claim in any event.
This apparently prompted Moncton to file its own motion seeking leave to further amend its Statement of Claim to add a claim for contribution and/or indemnity. [ 5 ] The motion judge determined s. 5, the general limitation provision of the Act , did not apply as Moncton’s claim was for contribution and indemnity. As a result, it was governed by s. 14 and was not prescribed under the circumstances. He gave Moncton leave to further amend its Statement of Claim to plead the new cause of action. [ 6 ] For the reasons which follow, I would allow the appeal.
It raises a case of first impression for the Court on the relationship between ss. 5 and 14 of the Act but also requires the Court to address the issue of contribution and indemnity as a remedy under the law of New Brunswick.
II. Factual Context [ 7 ] On May 10, 2005, Architecture 2000 and Moncton signed a Canadian Standard Form Contract for Architectural Services-Document 6 (the Consulting Agreement). The respondent Valron Engineers Inc. was designated by Stantec as its structural engineering consultant. [ 8 ] The awarding of the phase 1 contract by Moncton to Castle Rock was delayed for reasons which are not germane to the appeal. Suffice it to say it was certified as substantially complete by Stantec on August 21, 2012.
This contract included the erection of the structural steel to which the glass or glazing for the cowcatcher would be attached in phase 2. [ 9 ] The phase 2 contract was awarded by Moncton to Dora and, on September 17, 2012, the two parties entered into a Canadian Construction Documents Committee (CCDC) stipulated price contract. Stantec is not a party to this contract and it contains no contractual remedies available to Moncton or Dora as against Stantec. Indeed, General Condition 1.1.2 of the phase 2 contract provided that nothing in that contract created a contractual relationship with Stantec.
Moreover, General Condition 6.5.1 provided that any delay claims advanced by Dora could only be recovered from Moncton even if the cause of the claim was
an act or omission of Stantec. [ 10 ] Very early into the phase 2 contract, in October 2012, Moncton and Stantec were advised by Dora that some of the structural steel was misaligned. Eventually, some of the steel purlins were realigned and adjustments were made to the connections of the cowcatcher. These modifications were very costly and, as a result, completion of the phase 2 contract was delayed by almost one year. [ 11 ] On July 15, 2013, Dora emailed Moncton and Stantec seeking confirmation it would be paid for the initial surveying costs associated with the fix.
On July 26, 2013, Moncton approved a Change Order (Change Order no. 58) which followed a request by Stantec to Dora that it provide its cost estimate to remove and reinstall structural steel purlins. The reason for the request was stated in the Change Order as “Improperly installed in Phase 1.” In fact, this Change Order covered Dora’s price to provide a temporary enclosure to protect the site from the weather during the remedial work to be conducted which would be priced separately through a subsequent Change Order. The repair work occurred between July 10, 2013, and August 23, 2013.
In addition to the costs associated with the remedial work on the steel, the time required to complete that work impacted the execution of the other work to be done on the Project. There is no credible dispute that Moncton was fully aware of Stantec’s potential exposure in relation to the steel issue while the remedial work was carried out during 2013.
It was also obviously aware, as noted, that Stantec had certified the proper completion of the phase 1 contract on August 21, 2012. [ 12 ] In the ensuing months of 2013 and into 2014, Moncton expressed concern with respect to Stantec’s general performance under the Consulting Agreement.
While there is some dispute between Stantec and Moncton as to the precise nature of some of these complaints in terms of whether they related to the misaligned steel issue or other issues, which are not related to the underlying action, there is no dispute that on July 15, 2014, Dora delivered its comprehensive claim to Moncton for the additional delay costs associated with the steel issue. It laid the blame for these costs squarely with Stantec. It asserted the delays were due, in part, to the differences between the tender drawings and the steel erected during phase 1.
Dora claimed this was a misrepresentation of the work completed in phase 1. The phase 2 drawings Dora had used to bid the phase 2 contract did not reflect the dimensions in place and Dora took the position that Stantec’s failure to issue instructions or provide details on how to proceed delayed the Project by about one year. Dora also lamented the change order process Stantec chose to follow, arguing it further delayed the Project.
It is noteworthy that Moncton did not provide Stantec with Dora’s claim until October 14, 2014. [ 13 ] On October 10, 2014, Dora commenced an action to enforce a Claim for Lien it had previously filed with respect to the Project. Moncton did not join Stantec as a third party to this action which would later be stayed by agreement between Dora and Moncton to have the dispute proceed to a private arbitration in accordance with the terms of the phase 2 contract. It is again noteworthy that, notwithstanding Dora’s allegations, Moncton never sought Dora’s consent to add Stantec as a party to the arbitration.
In fact, Moncton, through its solicitor, confirmed in writing to Stantec that it would not be joined as a party. Moncton also advised Stantec it would be relying on the latter’s principal, Ian MacLaughlan, to give evidence at the arbitration on behalf of Moncton. In fact, Mr. MacLaughlan was the only witness to testify on behalf of Moncton. [ 14 ] There was no evidence led by Moncton at the arbitration to address Stantec’s standard of care in connection with its work on phases 1 or 2.
However, as will be seen, the arbitrator was highly critical of Stantec in his decision. [ 15 ] Dora’s evidence at the arbitration mirrored the comprehensive claim it had served on Moncton on July 15,
2014. The exhibits entered at the hearing were all dated in 2012 and 2013. There was no evidence with respect to Stantec’s potential exposure which was different or new from what Moncton already knew prior to the arbitration. Indeed, this is confirmed in Moncton ’s response to an undertaking given to Stantec during the examinations for discovery in the underlying action. [ 16 ] The arbitrator’s award was released on March 1, 2016. The principal issue he determined was which party was responsible for the delay in completing the Project arising out of the misaligned steel on the cowcatcher.
As noted, and as detailed below, he was highly critical of Stantec. Some of his findings bear directly on the limitation of action issues in this appeal. For the purposes of the appeal, I reproduce the most relevant extracts of the arbitrator’s award. The references to GSI relate to GSI Glass Structures Inc., the Dora subcontractor tasked with the manufacture and installation of the glass over the steel structure. The references to Blackbeard are to Geoffrey Blackbeard, GSI’s principal. The references to Contract are to the phase 2 contract. The reference to consultant is to Stantec.
The arbitrator wrote, in part: It is common ground that completion of the Project was severely delayed as a result of the misalignment of the steel on the cowcatcher. […] The City alleges that neither dimensions nor specifications of the steel structure were part of the tender package for Phase 2. In Paragraph 4 of its pleading, the City also alleges that bidders were instructed to inspect the steel structure to make their own measurements prior to submitting bids on the tender. […] I think it useful to put the City’s position in perspective.
It is acknowledged by all that the condition of the steel was vastly different than that shown in the contract documents, in particular the Drawings. Those variances were brought to light and made known to everyone by the end of October 2012. At the Consultant’s request, shop drawings were prepared and made available to it by December 3, 2012. While these time frames may not have been strictly within the times required in the contract documents, all witnesses acknowledged that what was done by December 3, 2012, was done within a reasonable period of time.
It is based on delivery of the shop drawings by early December, 2012 that [Moncton] makes its argument. In considering the City’s position, it is important to review the relevant provisions of the Contract. The following are worth noting: […] GC 1.1.1 The intent of the Contract Documents is to include the labour, Products and services necessary for the performance of the Work by the Contractor in accordance with these documents.
It is not intended, however, that the Contractor shall supply products or perform work not consistent with, not covered by, or not properly inferable from the Contract Documents . [Emphasis in original.] […] GC 2.2.1 The Consultant will provide administration of the Contract as described in the Contract Documents . […] GC 6.2.1 When a change in the Work is proposed or required , the Consultant will provide the Contractor with a written description of the proposed change in the Work .
The Contractor shall promptly present, in a form acceptable to the Consultant , a method of adjustment or an amount of adjustment for the Contract Price , if any; and the adjustment in the Contract Time , if any, for the proposed change in the Work . [Emphasis in original.] […] GC 6.4.2 The Consultant will promptly investigate such conditions [which differ from the contract] and make a finding. If the finding is that the conditions differ materially and this would cause an increase or decrease in the Contractor’s cost or time to perform the Work ,
the Consultant , with the Owner’s approval, will issue appropriate instructions for a change in the Work as provided in GC 6.2 - CHANGE ORDER or GC 6.3 - CHANGE DIRECTIVE. What was known to everyone in late October and early November, 2012 was that the conditions at the place of work differed materially from those indicated in the contract documents. It was also known that that was going to result in a change to GSI’s work. MacLaughlan acknowledged just that in October of 2012 when he and Blackbeard discussed changing the rafter from a single, as required by the Subcontract, to a double.
It was also evident that what Moncton had in mind was not to change the steel to reflect what was shown on the Drawings. What the Consultant proposed was moving only those purlins that were necessary. In other words, they wanted to find out just what Dora and GSI could do to accommodate the existing condition. This too was a change in the Work and it was certainly not, in my view, something that was consistent with or properly inferable from the contract documents. From the very beginning, and throughout the course of the Work, the City, through its consultant, made this problem one for Dora and GSI to resolve.
When the existing conditions became known with the resulting need for a change in the Work, it was incumbent on the Consultant to take charge of things. Under GC 6.4.2, it was required to investigate the conditions and to make a finding. Under GC 6.2.1, when a change in the Work is required, the Consultant is required to give a written description of the proposed change. In this case the Consultant did neither.
Indeed, on November 1, 2012, the Consultant rejected entirely Dora’s notice of the site condition and likely increased costs. […] In failing to investigate and give written notice of change, the Consultant failed to provide administration of the Contract as required by GC 2.2.1. It was incumbent on the Consultant to take charge of the situation and make clear his requirements and intentions. It did not do that in insisting on the shop drawings.
In reality, it was simply directing Dora to get on with the job in spite of the condition of the steel. […] […] It is worth noting that on receipt of the shop drawings on December 3, 2012, the Consultant did not undertake an immediate review. That did not occur until February of 2013 and only after the City had Altus conduct a further survey. MacLaughlan acknowledged that the February survey was not the responsibility of Dora or GSI in the circumstances.
What obtaining the February survey suggests is that a complete set of shop drawings on December 3, 2012 would still not have given the Consultant the information it required to relocate the purlins. Indeed, in its February 27, 2015 response to Dora’s claim, the Consultant specifically states the City had the surveyor complete this work so the number of purlins to be relocated could be determined. […] MacLaughlan also tried to explain why the shop drawings, as submitted on December 3, 2012, did not suit his purpose.
He said they did not disclose the glazing plain that was being proposed for the type of tie in and how they could adjust. In short, based on the submitted shop drawings, he could not evaluate the system. However, nowhere are these specific concerns made known to Dora or GSI in written communication. MacLaughlan could have reviewed the shop drawings, made the deficiencies known to Dora and, most importantly, explain exactly what he needed to know to solve the steel problem, before Christmas of 2012.
He did not […]. […] The other problem with the City’s position that completed shop drawings would tell them where to relocate the purlins, is the fact that in June of 2013, when the Consultant issued its Contemplated Change Order No. 58, it still did not know how many purlins had to be relocated. This was made clear by MacLaughlan in his evidence. Yet, at that time, the aluminum fastening system and the glazing plain had been confirmed. Indeed, materials for the skylight had been ordered with the knowledge and consent of the Consultant.
It is inconceivable, in my view, that the provision of the shop drawings as requested by the Consultant in the fall of 2012 would have allowed it, without anything more, to have moved the purlins to accommodate the skylight system depicted therein.
The entire delay from the discovery of the misaligned steel up to the Consultant’s review and rejection of the shop drawings in February, 2013 can be attributed to its handling, or rather mishandling, of the matter. It refused to initially acknowledge and investigate the condition of the steel. It then waited weeks before undertaking, through the retention of the surveyor, a limited investigation of location of the purlins.
It then reviewed and returned the shop drawings without any real direction to Dora on how it proposed to deal with realigning the steel. […] The City has presented no evidence to suggest that the time within which that design and fabrication were completed was in any way extended or that it could have been done more quickly. […] Therefore, the delay up to the time GSI came on site to begin its installation was also entirely as a result of the Consultant’s decision not to change the steel to reflect the contract documents, but have GSI change its design to suit the site conditions as far as possible.
The Consultant was fully aware what was going on during this period. […] With one exception, I cannot find that either Dora or GSI caused the delay in the design, fabrication or installation of the skylight. That delay arose entirely as a result of the state of the steel structure on the cowcatcher and the Consultant’s and City’s failure to properly deal with the misaligned steel when it became known. As I have noted earlier, it became a problem for Dora and its trade contractor, GSI, to resolve. Because it was entirely left to them to do so, the City cannot now complain of having to pay for that solution.
Furthermore. The City has not shown that how Dora and GSI dealt with the problem was inadequate in the circumstances or that it ought or could have been done differently. It simply alleges that had Dora complied with the terms of its Contract by providing shop drawings, everything would have been fine. In my view, the Contract did not require Dora to do so once the misalignment of the steel became known nor am I satisfied that had Dora done so in the first instance, it would have changed anything.
Throughout, the Consultant and the City relied on this defence as a means to suggest that Dora and GSI were failing to comply with their contractual obligations. In fact, it the City, through its Consultant, that was failing to do so. [Emphasis added; paras. 80, 86-89, 91, 93, 96, 98-100, 107, 112] [ 17 ] While I adopt these findings of the arbitrator as my own, I do so strictly for the limited purpose of this appeal on the sole issue of deciding whether or not the underlying action by Moncton against Stantec is prescribed.
My adoption of these findings should in no way be interpreted as an acceptance of any liability of Stantec vis-à-vis Moncton. That issue is the subject of the underlying action and has not been adjudicated. [ 18 ] It is equally important to note that the criticism penned by the arbitrator against Stantec does not establish a breach of the Consulting Agreement nor any liability it might have in tort for professional negligence.
As noted, Stantec was not a party to the arbitration and no expert evidence, which would have been required to establish any liability in tort in terms of proving a breach of Stantec’s standard of care, was adduced at the arbitration hearing. While Stantec maintained its denial of liability before the Court, none of this changes the factual timeline which triggers Moncton’s obligation to commence its action against Stantec.
The motion judge needed to identify the legal framework which governed that action in order to determine the applicable limitation period. [ 19 ] As noted, Moncton commenced the underlying action on December 5, 2016, more than two years after it had received Dora’s claim of July 15, 2014. It was based on the same facts presented to and accepted by the arbitrator. At the examinations for discovery, Moncton stated its position for the record to the effect that all of the
schedule slippage from June 30, 2013, to May 15, 2014, was incurred because of Stantec’s mishandling of the erection of the Phase 1 steel. That position mirrors the arbitrator’s findings and is grounded on the same evidence. III. Grounds of Appeal [ 20 ] Stantec asserts the motion judge erred in law: (1) in finding that the portion of Moncton’s claim relating to payments it made as a result of the arbitration award as damages for breaches of the phase 2 contract is a claim for contribution, governed by s. 14(1) of the Act ; (2) in finding that s. 14(1)(
a) of the Act applies to that portion of Moncton’s claim that was not made in respect of amounts paid or liability incurred by virtue of a settlement or judgment and in failing to address Stantec’s contention that the limitation period applicable
to that part of Moncton’s claim is s. 5 of the Act; and (3) in finding that the time period set out in s. 14(1)(
a) of the Act for bringing an action for contribution does not begin to run until aclaimant has made a payment or incurred a liability to make a payment by virtue of a settlement or judgment. IV. Standard of Review [21] The motion judge was required to determine the applicable limitation period based on a set of facts. Thatinvolves applying a legal standard to a set of facts which is a question of mixed fact and law: Canada (Director of Investigation andResearch v. Southam Inc., (SCC), [1997] 1 S.C.R. 748, [1996] S.C.J. No. 116 (QL), at para. 35.
In this case, the motionjudge’s determination as to the applicable provision of the Act depended upon his determination of Moncton’s cause of action. Heconcluded that, at law, it was grounded in contribution and indemnity and that it was subject to the limitation period set out in s. 14. Tothe extent the analysis by this Court requires an assessment of whether the motion judge correctly identified the cause of action at law,his determination stands to be reviewed on the basis of correctness. That is equally true of his
interpretation of the relevant provisions ofthe Act: Housen v. Nikolaisen, 2002 SCC 33, [2002] 2 S.C.R. 235. V. Analysis A. Preliminary point [22] Before I address the issues on appeal regarding the debate on the limitation of actions, I wish to comment onMoncton’s preliminary argument that proceeding in the court below by motion for
summary judgment was inappropriate. It arguedseveral “complexities” rendered the matter unsuited to the
summary judgment process. I would reiterate the Court’s previouspronouncements that issues such as factual complexities, large volumes of documents and evidence, or significant monetary stakes arenot necessarily, in and of themselves, impediments to
summary judgment proceedings. If the motion judge is able to properly assess theissue under consideration in the Rule 22 motion, regardless of these factors, the fact one or more of them feature in the record does notautomatically preclude granting
summary judgment. A judge, properly exercising the discretion conferred to him or her under Rule 22,will determine if one of these complexities results in a genuine issue requiring a trial. Absent such a genuine issue,
summary judgmentmust be granted. [23] In this case, the motion judge determined Moncton’s cause of action was rooted in contribution and indemnityand that it was not prescribed. It was on that basis he refused to grant Stantec’s motion for
summary judgment. That frames the basis ofStantec’s appeal. But there is nothing about the “complexities” of the case which prevented the motion judge from making his ruling andhe was correct in not raising any such issue as the basis for refusing to grant the motion. B. Ground one – Did the motion judge correctly identify Moncton’s cause of action as one for contribution and indemnity? [24] The decision contains no analysis in support of the motion judge’s conclusion that the claim was properly onefor contribution and indemnity.
He assumed that to be the case primarily because of the arbitral award and he concluded any limitationperiod was subject to the application of s. 14 of the Act. Indeed, at para. 49 of his decision, he writes that the arbitral award “is the basisof (Moncton’
s) claim for contribution” but, again, there is no analysis as to why that is, except to say that because the arbitrator orderedMoncton to pay Dora’s claim, it can recover all or part of that payment from Stantec by way of contribution or indemnity. At para. 50, hewrote: “This is not a new claim by Moncton.” This statement assumes the claim Dora advanced against Moncton in its action andeventual arbitration is the same as the claim Moncton now purports to advance against Stantec because the quantum of damages is thesame.
He writes further in para. 50: “To call it indemnity/contribution or damages has the same effect for the parties.” With respect, as Idiscuss below, that is an error of law. [25] Moreover, again in the same paragraph, the judge wrote that if the arbitrator had not found Moncton liable,there would be no claim against Stantec. First, that assumes Moncton could not have a distinct cause of action against Stantec regardlessof the outcome of Dora’s claim against it. There is no basis in law for such an assumption.
Second, the judge’s statement assumes thearbitrator’s decision established the legal foundation for a claim in contribution or indemnity against Stantec, notwithstanding it was nota party to the arbitration. Again, that is an error of law.
[ 26 ] As a matter of law, a claim for contribution or indemnity arises from contract or quasi-contract. In the typical case, one party agrees to make good the loss of another although such a claim may also arise from an express or implied term in a contract. [ 27 ] In this case, Moncton has not pleaded nor does it argue the existence of any express contractual obligation which would require Stantec to indemnify it. The relevant contractual provisions set out above make it clear no such term exists in the Consulting Agreement.
Indeed, the only provisions dealing with indemnity state Moncton must indemnify Stantec against any claims arising out of Stantec’s duties and responsibilities under that contract commenced by a third party or by Moncton itself.
GC 8.2 of the Consulting Agreement states: The Client agrees to indemnify the Architect in the event of any claim against the Architect in any way arising out of, or related to, the Architect ’s duties and responsibilities pursuant to this Contract , initiated by a non-party to this Contract and arising out of, or from a claim commenced by the Client , and such indemnity shall only apply to the extent the said non-party claim exceeds the amount of $250,000 or such other amount mutually agreed to, pursuant to GC8.1 above. [ 28 ] Therefore, insofar as the Consulting Agreement is concerned, there is no basis in law for Moncton to claim contribution or indemnity against Stantec in relation to Dora’s claim against Moncton. [ 29 ] Moreover, as is also apparent from the provisions of the phase 2 contract between Dora and Moncton, the relevant portions of which are set out above, there is no contractual basis which would permit Moncton to claim contribution or indemnity against Stantec.
Indeed, if there were, a conflict with the Consulting Agreement would arise. [ 30 ] Contribution is a restitutionary remedy. One of the leading works of doctrine on the subject, Goff & Jones, The Law of Restitution , 7th ed (2007), states: There can be no contribution if there is no liability to a common demand. The ground of the restitutionary claim is, therefore, compulsion of law.
Consequently, at common law there was no contribution if tortfeasors independently caused damage to a third party or if the liability of contractors to a third person arose from separate and independent contracts. [p. 385] [ 31 ] In Petersen Pontiac Buick GMC (Alta.) Ltd. v. Campbell , 2013 ABCA 251 , [2013] A.J. No. 738 (QL), the Court of Appeal for Alberta set out the elements a claimant must establish to ground an action for contribution or indemnity.
Such a claimant must show that: […] (1) the claimant [Moncton] and defendant [Stantec] are both liable to a third party [Dora]; (2) the third party [Dora] is forbidden from having full recovery from both of them; (3) but the third party [Dora] can choose to recover in full from either of them; and (4) some or all of the burden of paying the third party [Dora] should ultimately be borne by the defendant [Stantec]. [Emphasis added; para. 54] [ 32 ] None of these elements are present in this case.
In fact, the evidence establishes the opposite. [ 33 ] While many jurisdictions, including New Brunswick, have enacted legislation to provide remedies for
contribution among tortfeasors to make them liable for the same damage to a third party even if arising from different torts (such as theTortfeasors Act, R.S.N.B. 2011, c. 231), that is not the case for claims arising from contract. The common law of contribution remainsunchanged. A claim for contribution only arises among joint contractors with respect to a claim by a third party where independentbreaches of the same contract cause damage. [34] I pause here to highlight the distinction between damage and damages. The case of Royal Brompton HospitalNational Health Service Trust v.
Hammond and Others and Taylor Woodrow Construction (Holdings) Limited, [2002] UKHL14, [2002]2 All E.R. 801, clearly illustrates the distinction. Although the damages in respect of which contribution is sought from a defendant maybe superficially similar to those for which the plaintiff is liable to a third party, it does not follow they were suffered as a result of thedamage.
In Royal Brompton, Lord Bingham wrote: “It is […] a constant theme of the law of contribution […] that B’s claim to sharewith others his liability to A rests upon the fact that they (whether equally with B or not) are subject to a common liability to A”(emphasis added; para. 5). [35] Pursuant to GC 6.5.1 of the phase 2 contract, any proven claim for delay brought by Dora must be paid byMoncton. Entitlement to payment is therefore predicated on causation and not on Moncton’s or Stantec’s fault.
The issue in play withrespect to Dora’s claim is the effect Stantec’s or Moncton’s omissions had on Dora (causation), not the propriety of what they did or didnot do (fault). [36] Moncton breached the phase 2 contract with Dora by not paying it amounts properly owed for its additionalwork under that contract in relation to the misaligned steel. That was the damage Dora suffered from that breach. Stantec was not a partyto that contract and had no duty to make any payments to Dora. It could never have been liable to Dora for the damage claimed againstMoncton.
What Moncton claims in the underlying action is not damages, by way of contribution or indemnity, arising from its breach ofthe phase 2 contract with Dora but, rather, the difference between what Moncton paid to have the Project completed and what it wouldhave cost but for the negligence or breach of the Consulting Agreement by Stantec. Stantec has no common liability with Monctontoward Dora and the nature of the damage claimed by Moncton against Stantec is completely different than the basis for the damagewhich arose from Moncton’s breach of the phase 2 contract with Dora.
There was no recognition by the motion judge of the requirementfor common liability for the same damage in order for a claim for contribution to arise. [37] Caisse Populaire d’Inkerman Ltee v. Doiron, (NB CA), 61 N.B.R. (2d) 123, [1985] N.B.J.No. 148 (QL), is a decision of our Court on which Moncton heavily relies but which does not stand for the proposition advanced byMoncton. In Doiron, a lawyer was held liable to a financial institution for damage suffered as a result of the lawyer’s failure to carry outits instructions to secure guarantees for a loan.
Notwithstanding a plain reading of the lawyer’s report to the institution clearly revealedthe guarantees had not been secured, the funds were nonetheless advanced. Following default on the loan, the lawyer was held liable topay one half of the institution’s loss based on the common law principle of contribution among joint contractors. La Forest J.A. (as hewas then), writing for the Court, noted that public policy or “solid common sense” might lead to an incremental evolution in the commonlaw in situations where contractors do not have joint liability given the appropriate circumstances.
Moncton urges us to establish such an“incremental change” in this case. In Doiron, the Court saw no need to consider that change since Doiron and the Caisse were jointcontractors and it would have been within their reasonable contemplation that liability should be apportioned amongst them given thecircumstances of that case. [38] Notwithstanding Moncton’s urging, claims framed on the contribution or indemnity cause of action will alwaysdepend on the equities of any particular case. This is not a case of separate breaches causing the same damage.
I repeat, in this case,Stantec could never have been held liable to Dora for the damage it claimed against Moncton. Here, Moncton’s claim against Stantec isbased on breaches of the Consulting Agreement and/or professional negligence. The limitation period in which to bring that action isgoverned by s. 5 of the Act. The only reason I can surmise for Moncton’s argument seeking a change in the law of contribution for thepurposes of this case is to permit it to circumvent the effect of s. 5 of the Act, which, under the circumstances, prescribes its actionagainst Stantec.
To borrow La Forest J.A.’s words, it would not make “solid common sense,” nor would it be consistent with soundpublic policy to change the common law of contribution for that reason. That would not be the “incremental” change the Courtcontemplated in Doiron. [39] Moreover, the Act does not dictate how any cause of action is to be framed at law. That always depends on thefacts of the case and the applicable legal principles. All the Act does is provide the parameters for limitation periods to be applied oncethe cause of action has been determined, and not the other way around.
It does not provide the basis for parties to elect how to frame theiractions in order to avoid prescription. In this case, Moncton commenced its action against Stantec for breach of contract and professionalnegligence. It amended its pleadings twice without reframing its causes of action. Given Stantec’s motion to have that action dismissedon the basis it was prescribed, Moncton, based on the same, and no additional, allegations, sought to further amend its Statement ofClaim to reframe its action as one for contribution and indemnity. That allowed it to argue, based on its own
interpretation of s. 14 of theAct, that its action was not time-barred. As noted, and again with respect, the motion judge erred in permitting Moncton to further amendfor that purpose.
[ 40 ] Moncton’s action is clearly prescribed by s. 5 of the Act , as interpreted by the Supreme Court in Grant Thornton LLP v. New Brunswick , 2021 SCC 31 , [2021] S.C.J. No. 31 (QL).
Section 5 codifies the common law rule of discoverability. Here, Moncton had all the knowledge it needed from which it could draw a plausible inference of liability against Stantec as early as October 30, 2012, when it learned the steel was misaligned and certainly no later than July 15, 2014, when Dora presented to Moncton its comprehensive claim. This claim never changed and ascribed blame to Stantec throughout.
It matters not that the motion judge did not specifically determine whether Moncton had the knowledge required to trigger commencement of the limitation period more than two years before it commenced its action. All the evidence before him on that score is in the record on appeal and the Court is in as good a position as him to make the determination. I have no hesitation in finding Moncton could draw the plausible inference it had a claim against Stantec no later than July 15, 2014 (see Mirrer Hall Investments Inc. et al. v. The City of Moncton et al. , 2023 NBCA 14 , [2023] N.B.J.
No. 47 (QL)). [ 41 ] Moncton cannot raise the argument it should be relieved from its failure to commence its action within the two- year limitation period on the basis Stantec has never admitted its fault. The triggering of a limitation period for a claim for professional liability is not predicated on an admission of fault by the professional. C. Ground two – Did the motion judge err in finding s. 14 (1) (
a) of the Act applied to the portion of Moncton’s claim which had nothing to do with the arbitral award? [ 42 ] Moncton claims an amount of $305,589.50 as additional costs related to the completion of the phase 3 contract. That amount was unrelated to the arbitral award and, by including it as part of the damages for which Moncton could claim contribution and indemnity, the judge erred.
The same rationale applies with respect to Moncton’s contract with D+C for phase 3 as the one above for the phase 2 contract in terms of the unavailability of a cause of action for contribution for this particular amount, quite apart from the fact it had nothing to do with the arbitration of the phase 2 dispute. Again, s. 14 could not apply to this part of Moncton’s claim. As I discuss below in relation to ground 3, the same discoverability criteria apply to s. 14 and this part of the claim was known to Moncton by December 12, 2013, more than 3 years before its action was filed. It is prescribed by s. 5. D.
Ground 3 – Did the judge err by finding the time limit for Moncton to bring an action for contribution did not begin to run under s. 14 (1) (
a) until after Moncton received the arbitral award? [ 43 ] Section 14(1) of the Act reads as follows:
14(1) Subject to subsection (2), no claim for contribution in respect of a payment that a claimant has made, or a liability that a claimant has incurred by virtue of a settlement or judgment, shall be brought against a person after the expiry of the earlier of (
a) the period of 2 years that begins on the day the claimant first knew or ought reasonably to have known that the person was liable to make the contribution, and (
b) whichever of the following periods expires last: (
i) fifteen years from the day the act or omission that gave rise to the payment, settlement or judgment occurred, and (ii) five years from the day of the payment, settlement or judgment. 14(1)
Sous réserve du paragraphe (2), la réclamation visant l’obtention d’une contribution que présente un réclamant en raison d’un versement qu’il a effectué, ou d’une dette qui lui incombe en vertu d’un règlement à l’amiable ou d’un jugement, se prescrit par celui des délais ci-dessous qui expire le premier :
a) un délai de deux ans qui commence à courir à compter du jour où le réclamant a appris ou aurait dû normalement apprendre que la personne était tenue de verser la contribution;
b) celui des délais ci-dessous qui expire le dernier : (
i) quinze ans à compter du jour où a eu lieu l’acte ou l’omission qui a donné lieu au versement, au règlement à l’amiable ou au jugement; (ii) cinq ans à compter du jour où a lieu le versement, le règlement à l’amiable ou le jugement. [ 44 ] In his determination, the motion judge interpreted s. 14 (1)(
a) to mean the two-year limitation in that
section did not begin to run until Moncton ought to have known the arbitral award had made it liable such as to give it a claim for contribution. In other words, he considered the accrual of a liability to pay by virtue of the arbitral award was a condition precedent to the triggering of the limitation period. This is inconsistent with the wording of the provision. The opening words of s. 14(1) identify the nature of claims which are subject to the limitations set out in sub-sections (
a) and (b). Those opening words do not dictate when the limitation period is triggered. The trigger is contained in sub-sections (
a) and (b). [ 45 ] Sub-section (
a) clearly contemplates the “plausible inference” factor which is to be interpreted in accordance with the Grant Thornton principles. It is not to be read as if the trigger is when the liability to pay has been incurred because of a settlement or judgment, which is in effect the
interpretation the motion judge applied. The wording of s. 14(1)(
a) is specifically designed to avoid that outcome. [ 46 ] Moreover, the motion judge also found the word “liability” in s. 14(1)(
a) means responsibility that is absolute (at para. 44 of his decision). Again, that runs contra to the discoverability principle in Grant Thornton which rejects the notion of “absolute” knowledge before a limitation period can be triggered. Accrual of a cause of action is not the trigger under s. 14(1). While the opening words of s. 14(1) speak to the accrual of a cause of action for contribution, sub-section (
a) speaks of the plausible inference factor, a separate concept entirely. Clearly, it is the actual or constructive knowledge of the facts which underlie a claim for contribution that triggers the running of the limitation period. Otherwise, sub-section (
a) would be redundant. VI. Disposition [ 47 ] I would allow the appeal and set aside the motion judge’s decision. I would grant
summary judgment in favour of Stantec by dismissing Moncton’s action on the basis it is barred by operation of s. 5 of the Limitation of Actions Act . Although I conclude s. 14 has no application in this case, if it did, I would have concluded Moncton’s action is also prescribed by that provision. [ 48 ] I would order payment of one set of costs in the amount of $5,000 by Moncton to Stantec. I would not make
any award of costs in favour of Castle Rock or Valron. Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par LE JUGE LEBLOND I. Introduction [1] La Ville de Moncton, intimée, a conclu un contrat avec l’appelante, Architecture 2000 Inc., acquise plus tard par Stantec Architecture Ltd. (Stantec), en vue de la conception et de la gestion de la construction du Centre de découverte des transports (le projet), une
annexe au Musée de Moncton. Ce contrat sera désigné l’accord de consultation dans les présents motifs. [2] Le projet a été réalisé en trois phases, par trois entrepreneurs différents, toujours sous la surveillance et la direction de Stantec, conformément à l’accord de consultation. Un contrat distinct a été conclu entre chaque entrepreneur et Moncton. Stantec n’était
partie à aucun des trois contrats. Les entrepreneurs pour les diverses phases étaient les suivants : 1. première phase, l’intimée Castle Rock Construction Services Inc.; 2. deuxième phase, Dora Construction Limited; 3. troisième phase, Design + Communications Inc. (D+C). [3] En octobre 2012, au cours de la deuxième phase, un différend est survenu au sujet de la construction d’un puits de lumière vitré incliné, ayant la forme d’un chasse-buffles, au-dessus de l’ouvrage en acier de charpente érigé à la première phase. L’ouvrage en acier était mal aligné et, en conséquence, Dora a dû engager des frais additionnels.
La réclamation globale de Dora, qui blâmait Stantec pour les frais additionnels, a été remise à Moncton le 15 juillet 2014. En octobre 2014, Dora a intenté une poursuite contre Moncton, qui n’a pas joint Stantec en sa qualité de mise en cause. L’action a été suspendue dans l’attente du résultat d’un arbitrage privé mené conformément au contrat conclu pour la deuxième phase entre Dora et Moncton.
Avant et pendant l’audience arbitrale, qui s’est déroulée en novembre 2015, un certain nombre de parties, notamment Moncton et Dora, ont allégué que les frais de construction additionnels engagés étaient imputables à la violation par Stantec de l’accord de consultation, à sa négligence dans l’exécution des travaux de la première phase, ou à ces deux facteurs à la fois. Moncton n’a pas cherché à obtenir l’accord de Dora pour joindre Stantec comme
partie à la procédure arbitrale. Le 1 er mars 2016, l’arbitre a rendu sa sentence arbitrale : il a condamné Moncton à verser à Dora 809 283,49 $ en dommages-intérêts pour violation du contrat de la deuxième phase, intérêts et dépens. [4] Le 5 décembre 2016, Moncton a introduit l’action sous-jacente contre Stantec, à qui elle réclamait la somme de 809 283,49 $, plus un montant supplémentaire de 305 589,50 $ au
titre de frais additionnels engagés à la troisième phase. Dans l’exposé de la demande initial, comme dans les deux exposés de la demande modifiés subséquents, le recours était formulé comme une action pour violation de contrat et en responsabilité délictuelle. La sentence arbitrale ne donnait pas ouverture à une réclamation visant l’obtention d’une contribution ou d’une indemnisation. En janvier 2022, à la suite des interrogatoires préalables et du suivi donné à des engagements de Moncton, Stantec a déposé la motion sous-jacente en jugement
sommaire; elle sollicitait le rejet de l’action pour prescription en invoquant les art. 5 et 14 de la
Loi sur la prescription , L.N.-B. 2009, ch. L-8.5. Avant que la motion ne soit entendue, Stantec a soutenu dans son mémoire préparatoire qu’il fallait faire abstraction de l’ art. 14 puisqu’il traitait des délais de prescription applicables aux réclamations visant l’obtention d’une contribution ou d’une indemnisation, et que Moncton n’avait plaidé ni l’une ni l’autre mesure réparatoire. En tout état de cause, a affirmé Stantec, une telle réclamation ne reposait sur aucun fondement en droit.
Cela semble avoir conduit Moncton à déposer sa propre motion, par laquelle elle sollicitait l’autorisation de modifier à nouveau son exposé de la demande afin d’y ajouter une réclamation visant l’obtention d’une contribution ou d’une indemnisation. [5] Le juge saisi de la motion a conclu que l’art. 5 de la Loi – la disposition prévoyant les délais de prescription ordinaires – n’était pas applicable, puisque Moncton présentait une réclamation visant l’obtention d’une contribution et d’une indemnisation. Par conséquent, le recours était régi par l’art. 14 et n’était pas prescrit dans les circonstances.
Le juge a accordé à Moncton l’autorisation de modifier de nouveau son exposé de la demande en vue de plaider la nouvelle cause d’action.
[6] Pour les motifs que je vais exposer, je suis d’avis d’accueillir l’appel. L’appel soulève une question que notre Cour n’a jamais examinée quant au lien existant entre les art. 5 et 14 de la Loi , mais il lui demande aussi d’examiner la question de la contribution et de l’indemnisation comme mesures réparatoires en droit néo-brunswickois. II. Contexte factuel [7] Le 10 mai 2005, Architecture 2000 et Moncton ont signé une Formule canadienne normalisée de contrat de services en architecture – Document six (l’accord de consultation).
Stantec a recouru aux services de l’intimée Valron Enginers Inc. comme société d’experts-conseils en ingénierie des structures. [8] L’attribution par Moncton à Castle Rock du contrat de la première phase a été retardée pour des raisons sans lien avec le présent appel. Qu’il suffise de dire que Stantec a attesté, le 21 août 2012, son exécution substantielle.
Ce contrat visait notamment l’élévation de l’ouvrage en acier de charpente auquel, à la deuxième phase, le verre ou vitrage du chasse-buffles serait fixé. [9] Moncton a attribué le contrat de la deuxième phase à Dora et, le 17 septembre 2012, les deux parties ont conclu un contrat à forfait élaboré par le Comité canadien des documents de construction (CCDC). Stantec n’est pas
partie à ce contrat et celui-ci ne prévoit aucun recours contractuel pouvant être exercé par Moncton ou Dora contre Stantec. De fait, il était prévu à la condition générale 1.1.2 du contrat de la deuxième phase qu’aucune disposition de ce contrat ne créait une relation contractuelle avec Stantec. Selon la condition générale 6.5.1, en outre, Dora pouvait faire valoir une réclamation pour retard à l’encontre de Moncton seulement, même si le fondement de celle-ci était un acte ou une omission de Stantec. [10] En octobre 2012, très tôt dans l’exécution du contrat de la deuxième phase, Dora a informé Moncton et Stantec qu’une
partie de l’ouvrage en acier de charpente était mal alignée. Finalement, certaines pannes en acier ont été réalignées et les joints du chasse-buffles ont fait l’objet d’ajustements. Les modifications ont été très coûteuses et ont retardé l’aboutissement du contrat de la deuxième phase de près d’un an. [11] Le 15 juillet 2013, Dora a demandé par courriel à Moncton et Stantec de confirmer qu’elle se ferait payer les frais initiaux de levé nécessités par les réparations.
Le 26 juillet 2013, Moncton a approuvé un ordre de modification (l’ordre de modification n° 58), qui donnait suite à la demande faite par Stantec à Dora de fournir un devis estimatif des coûts d’enlèvement et de réinstallation des pannes de l’ouvrage en acier de charpente. Dans l’ordre de modification, on indiquait que la demande était faite en raison d’une [TRADUCTION] « mauvaise installation à la première phase ».
En réalité, l’ordre de modification couvrait le prix payé par Dora pour fournir un abri temporaire protégeant le site des intempéries pendant les travaux de réparation requis; le prix de ces travaux allait être pris en compte séparément dans un ordre de modification ultérieur. Les travaux de réparation ont été réalisés entre le 10 juillet 2013 et le 23 août 2013. En plus des frais à payer pour les travaux de réparation de l’ouvrage en acier, le temps requis pour achever ces travaux avait une incidence sur les autres travaux à effectuer dans le cadre du projet.
Il n’est pas contesté sérieusement que Moncton avait pleinement conscience, pendant la réalisation des travaux de réparation en 2013, que la responsabilité de Stantec pouvait être engagée par les défectuosités de l’ouvrage en acier. Moncton savait aussi manifestement, comme on l’a dit, que Stantec avait attesté, le 21 août 2012, la bonne exécution du contrat de la première phase. [12] Dans les mois qui ont suivi en 2013, et en 2014, Moncton s’est inquiétée du rendement général de Stantec dans l’exécution de l’accord de consultation.
Stantec et Moncton ne s’entendent pas sur la nature précise des plaintes formulées, quant à savoir si elles concernaient l’ouvrage en acier mal aligné ou d’autres problèmes non liés à l’action sous-jacente, mais il n’est pas contesté que, le 15 juillet 2014, Dora a livré à Moncton sa réclamation globale visant les frais de retard additionnels occasionnés par les défectuosités de l’ouvrage en acier. Elle rejetait entièrement sur Stantec la responsabilité pour les frais engagés.
Les retards auraient été imputables, en partie, aux différences existant entre le dossier de plans et l’ouvrage en acier de charpente élevé à la première phase. Selon Dora, il s’agissait d’une assertion inexacte quant aux travaux achevés à la première phase. Les dessins pour la deuxième phase dont Dora s’était servie afin de soumissionner à l’égard du contrat de la deuxième phase ne correspondaient pas aux dimensions réelles et, selon Dora, le défaut de Stantec de donner des directives ou des précisions quant à la façon de procéder avait retardé d’environ un an la réalisation du projet.
Dora déplorait aussi le processus suivi par Stantec pour l’ordre de modification, ce qui, soutenait-elle, avait retardé encore davantage la réalisation du projet. Il convient de noter que Moncton n’a communiqué la réclamation de Dora à Stantec que le 14 octobre 2014. [13] Le 10 octobre 2014, Dora a intenté une action en exécution d’une revendication de privilège, revendication qu’elle avait déposée antérieurement en lien avec le projet.
Moncton n’a pas joint Stantec en qualité de mise en cause dans cette action, qui a ensuite été suspendue sur entente de Dora et Moncton, qui avaient convenu de soumettre le différend à un arbitrage privé conformément aux clauses du contrat de la deuxième phase. Il convient encore une fois de souligner que, malgré ce que Dora allègue, Moncton n’a jamais cherché à obtenir son accord pour joindre Stantec comme
partie à la procédure arbitrale. En fait, par l’entremise de son avocat, Moncton a confirmé par écrit à Stantec qu’elle ne serait pas jointe comme partie. Moncton a aussi informé Stantec qu’elle
ferait appel à son principal responsable, Ian MacLaughlan, afin qu’il témoigne pour son compte dans le cadre de l’arbitrage. De fait, M. MacLaughlan a été le seul à témoigner pour le compte de Moncton. [14] Dans la procédure arbitrale, Moncton n’a présenté aucune preuve quant au niveau de diligence démontré par Stantec dans l’exécution de son travail à la première et à la deuxième phases.
Comme nous le verrons, toutefois, l’arbitre s’est montré très critique à l’endroit de Stantec dans sa décision. [15] La preuve présentée par Dora lors de l’arbitrage faisait écho à la réclamation globale qu’elle avait signifiée à Moncton le 15 juillet 2014. Toutes les pièces produites à l’audience étaient datées de 2012 et 2013. Aucune preuve concernant la responsabilité éventuelle de Stantec ne différait de ce que Moncton savait déjà avant l’arbitrage ni n’ajoutait quoi que ce soit de nouveau.
Cela est d’ailleurs confirmé par le suivi de Moncton à un engagement donné à Stantec lors des interrogatoires préalables menés dans l’action sous-jacente. [16] Le 1 er mars 2016, l’arbitre a rendu la sentence arbitrale. La principale question tranchée par l’arbitre était celle de savoir quelle
partie était responsable du retard dans l’achèvement du projet imputable au mauvais alignement de l’ouvrage en acier au niveau du chasse-buffles. Comme il a été mentionné, et comme il sera précisé plus loin, l’arbitre s’est montré très critique à l’endroit de Stantec. Certaines de ses conclusions ont une incidence directe sur les questions de prescription examinées dans le présent appel. Je reproduis pour les besoins de l’appel les extraits les plus pertinents de la sentence arbitrale.
Les renvois à GSI se rapportent à GSI Glass Structures Inc., le sous-traitant de Dora chargé de fabriquer le verre et de l’installer sur l’ouvrage en acier de charpente. Les renvois à M. Blackbeard se rapportent à Geoffrey Blackbeard, le principal responsable de GSI. Les renvois au contrat se rapportent au contrat de la deuxième phase. Le renvoi à la société d’experts-conseils se rapporte à Stantec.
Voici ces extraits : [TRADUCTION] Il n’est pas contesté que le mauvais alignement de l’ouvrage en acier au niveau du chasse-buffles a sérieusement retardé l’achèvement du projet. […] La Ville affirme que ni les dimensions ni le devis relatifs à l’ouvrage en acier de charpente ne figuraient dans le dossier d’appel d’offres de la deuxième phase.
Au paragraphe 4 de sa plaidoirie, la Ville allègue également que les soumissionnaires avaient reçu comme consigne d’inspecter l’ouvrage en acier de charpente pour prendre leurs propres mesures avant de présenter une soumission. […] Je crois utile de placer la position de la Ville dans son contexte. Tous reconnaissent que l’ouvrage en acier était dans un état très différent de ce qui figurait dans les documents contractuels, les dessins en particulier. Ces divergences ont été mises au jour et notifiées à tous les intéressés avant la fin d’octobre 2012.
À la demande de la société d’experts-conseils, des dessins d’atelier ont été dressés et lui ont été présentés avant le 3 décembre 2012. Même si cela s’est fait hors des délais précis stipulés dans les documents contractuels, tous les témoins ont reconnu que les actions prises avant le 3 décembre 2012 l’ont été dans un délai raisonnable. L’argumentation de [Moncton] se fonde sur la remise des dessins d’atelier au début de décembre 2012. Pour examiner la thèse de la Ville, il importe de passer en revue les dispositions pertinentes du contrat.
Les dispositions suivantes sont dignes de mention : […] GC 1.1.1 Il est prévu que les documents contractuels comprennent la main-d’œuvre, les produits et les services nécessaires à l’exécution, conformément à ces documents, des travaux par l’ entrepreneur .
Il n’est pas prévu, toutefois, que l’ entrepreneur fournisse des produits ou exécute des travaux non compatibles avec les documents contractuels, ou qui ne sont pas visés par les documents contractuels , même implicitement . [Soulignement dans l’original.] […] GC 2.2.1 La société d’experts-conseils assure l’administration du contrat tel qu’il est décrit dans les documents contractuels .
[…] GC 6.2.1 Lorsqu’une modification des travaux est proposée ou requise , la société d’experts-conseils fournit à l’ entrepreneur une description écrite de la modification proposée des travaux .
L’ entrepreneur présente sans délai, sous une forme jugée acceptable par la société d’experts-conseils , une méthode de rajustement du prix contractuel , ou un montant rajusté, le cas échéant, ainsi qu’un rajustement du délai d’exécution nécessité, le cas échéant, par la modification proposée des travaux . [Soulignement dans l’original ] […] GC 6.4.2 La société d’experts-conseils fait enquête sans délai sur un tel état [qui diffère de ce qui est prévu au contrat] et tire une conclusion.
Si elle conclut qu’il existe un écart considérable dans l’état et qu’il en résultera une augmentation ou une diminution des coûts pour l’ entrepreneur ou du temps requis pour l’exécution des travaux , la société d’experts-conseils , avec l’accord du maître de l’ouvrage , donne les instructions qui s’imposent en vue d’une modification des travaux tel qu’il est prévu à la clause GC 6.2 – ORDRE DE MODIFICATION ou GC 6.3 – DIRECTIVE DE MODIFICATION.
Tous avaient connaissance, fin octobre et début novembre 2012, d’un écart considérable entre l’état au lieu des travaux et ce qui était prévu dans les documents contractuels. On savait aussi qu’il en résulterait une modification des travaux de GSI. M. MacLaughlan a précisément reconnu cela, en octobre 2012, lorsqu’il a discuté avec M. Blackbeard de l’utilisation d’un chevron double, plutôt que d’un chevron simple, tel qu’il était requis dans le contrat de sous-traitance. Il était aussi manifeste que Moncton n’envisageait pas que l’ouvrage en acier soit modifié de manière qu’il corresponde aux dessins réalisés.
La société d’experts-conseils a proposé qu’on procède au déplacement uniquement des pannes nécessaires. Autrement dit, on souhaitait savoir précisément ce que Dora et GSI pouvaient faire pour composer avec l’état existant. Cela aussi constituait une modification des travaux et n’était certainement pas, à mon avis, compatible avec les documents contractuels, ou visé implicitement dans ceux-ci. Dès le départ, et pendant toute la période des travaux, la Ville, par l’entremise de sa société d’experts-conseils, a agi comme s’il revenait à Dora et GSI de régler ce problème.
Dès qu’on a eu connaissance de l’état existant et de la nécessité, par conséquent, d’une modification des travaux, il incombait à la société d’experts-conseils de prendre la situation en main. Selon la clause GC 6.4.2, la société d’experts-conseils devait faire enquête sur l’état et tirer une conclusion. Selon la clause GC 6.2.1, lorsqu’une modification des travaux est requise, la société d’experts-conseils doit fournir une description écrite de la modification proposée. Dans la présente affaire, la société d’experts-conseils n’a pris aucune de ces mesures.
Plutôt, le 1 er novembre 2012, la société d’experts-conseils a rejeté totalement l’avis de Dora sur l’état du site, ce qui, vraisemblablement, a entraîné une hausse des coûts. […] En ne faisant pas enquête et en ne donnant pas avis écrit de la modification, la société d’experts-conseils a omis d’assurer l’administration du contrat tel que le prescrivait la clause GC 2.2.1. Il incombait à la société d’experts-conseils de prendre la situation en main et de faire connaître clairement ses exigences et ses intentions. Elle n’a pas fait cela en insistant au sujet des dessins d’atelier.
En réalité, la société d’experts-conseils demandait simplement à Dora de poursuivre le travail malgré l’état de l’ouvrage en acier. […] […] Il convient de souligner que la société d’experts-conseils n’a pas procédé à un examen immédiat lorsqu’elle a reçu les dessins d’atelier, le 3 décembre 2012. Elle ne l’a fait qu’en février 2013, et seulement après que la Ville a demandé à Altus de procéder à un nouveau levé. M. MacLaughlan a reconnu que le levé de février ne relevait pas de la responsabilité de Dora ou GSI dans les circonstances.
Ce que l’obtention du levé en février laisse supposer, c’est qu’un ensemble complet de dessins d’atelier reçu le 3 décembre 2012 n’aurait toujours pas fourni à la société d’experts-conseils l’information dont elle avait besoin pour déplacer les pannes. Dans sa réponse du 27 février 2015 à la réclamation de Dora, d’ailleurs, la société d’experts-conseils déclare expressément que la Ville avait demandé à l’arpenteur-géomètre d’effectuer ce travail afin qu’on puisse déterminer le nombre de pannes à déplacer. […]
M. MacLaughlan a aussi tenté d’expliquer en quoi les dessins d’atelier remis le 3 décembre 2012 ne convenaient pas à ses fins. Selon ses dires, les dessins ne permettaient pas de savoir quel plan de vitrage était proposé pour le type de raccordement à faire ni comment le rajustement pouvait être effectué. Bref, les dessins d’atelier remis ne lui permettaient pas d’évaluer le système. Toutefois, jamais Dora ni GSI n’ont été informées par écrit de ces préoccupations particulières. Avant Noël, en 2012, M.
MacLaughlan aurait pu examiner les dessins d’atelier, faire connaître les travaux non conformes à Dora et, surtout, expliquer exactement ce qu’il devait savoir pour régler le problème lié à l’ouvrage en acier. Or, il ne l’a pas fait […] […] L’autre problème posé par la prétention de la Ville selon laquelle des dessins d’atelier achevés lui auraient appris où il fallait replacer les pannes vient du fait qu’en juin 2013, lorsque la société d’experts-conseils a émis son ordre de modification envisagé n° 58, elle ne savait toujours pas combien de pannes il fallait déplacer. Cela ressort clairement du témoignage de M.
MacLaughlan. À ce moment-là, pourtant, le système de fixation en aluminium et le plan de vitrage avaient été confirmés. De fait, les matériaux requis pour le puits de lumière avaient été commandés, à la connaissance et avec le consentement de la société d’experts-conseils. Je ne peux concevoir que l’obtention des dessins d’atelier demandés par la société d’experts-conseils à l’automne 2012, sans plus, aurait permis à celle-ci de déplacer les pannes de manière à raccorder le puits de lumière qui y était illustré.
Tout le retard, depuis la découverte du mauvais alignement de l’ouvrage en acier jusqu’à l’examen des dessins d’atelier par la société d’experts-conseils et leur rejet, en février 2013, peut être attribué à sa gestion, ou plutôt sa mauvaise gestion, de la situation. Initialement, elle a refusé de reconnaître l’état de l’ouvrage en acier et de faire enquête à ce sujet. Elle a ensuite attendu des semaines avant de procéder, en retenant les services de l’arpenteur-géomètre, à une enquête restreinte visant l’emplacement des pannes.
La société d’experts-conseils a ensuite passé en revue puis retourné les dessins d’atelier, sans donner véritablement de directives à Dora sur la manière dont elle proposait qu’on procède au réalignement de l’ouvrage en acier. […] La Ville n’a présenté aucune preuve donnant à penser que la période de conception et de fabrication avait été prolongée de quelque façon que ce soit ou que ce travail aurait pu être réalisé plus rapidement. […] Par conséquent, le retard jusqu’au moment où GSI est venue sur le site pour y commencer son installation était aussi imputable, entièrement, à la décision de la société d’experts-conseils, non pas de modifier l’ouvrage en acier pour le rendre conforme aux documents contractuels, mais plutôt de faire modifier par GSI sa conception pour la faire convenir, autant que possible, à l’état du site.
La société d’experts-conseils avait pleinement connaissance de ce qui se passait pendant cette période. […] À une exception près, je ne puis conclure que Dora ou GSI a retardé le processus de conception, de fabrication ou d’installation du puits de lumière. Ce retard a résulté entièrement de l’état de l’ouvrage en acier de charpente sur le chasse-buffles et du défaut de la société d’experts-conseils et de la Ville de régler comme il se devait le problème du mauvais alignement de l’ouvrage lorsqu’il a été connu.
Comme je l’ai mentionné ci-dessus, c’est à Dora et à son entrepreneur spécialisé, GSI, qu’il est revenu de régler le problème. Puisqu’on leur a laissé entièrement la tâche de régler le problème, la Ville ne peut pas se plaindre maintenant d’avoir à acquitter le coût de cette solution. De plus, la Ville n’a pas démontré que Dora et GSI s’étaient attaquées au problème de manière inappropriée dans les circonstances ni que le problème aurait pu ou dû être réglé différemment.
La Ville allègue tout simplement que, si Dora s’était conformée aux conditions du contrat et avait fourni des dessins d’atelier, tout se serait bien déroulé. À mon avis, le contrat n’imposait pas à Dora d’agir ainsi une fois connu le mauvais alignement de l’ouvrage en acier. Je ne suis pas convaincu non plus que, si Dora avait pris cette mesure en premier lieu, cela aurait changé quoi que ce soit. Tout au long, la société d’experts-conseils et la Ville ont fait valoir ce moyen de défense, laissant ainsi entendre que Dora et GSI ne respectaient pas leurs obligations contractuelles.
En réalité, c’est la Ville, par l’entremise de sa société d’experts-conseils, qui a manqué à ses obligations. [Soulignement ajouté; par. 80, 86 à 89, 91, 93, 96, 98 à 100, 107 et 112] [17] Je fais miennes les conclusions tirées par l’arbitre, mais je le fais uniquement pour les fins restreintes du présent appel, pour statuer sur la seule question de savoir si l’action sous-jacente intentée par Moncton contre Stantec est prescrite. Le fait que j’adopte ces conclusions ne doit être interprété d’aucune manière comme la reconnaissance de toute responsabilité de Stantec envers Moncton.
Cette question fait l’objet de l’action sous-jacente et n’a pas été tranchée.
[18] Il est tout aussi important de souligner que les critiques formulées par l’arbitre à l’endroit de Stantecn’établissent pas qu’il y a eu violation de l’accord de consultation ni que Stantec a engagé sa responsabilité délictuelle pour négligenceprofessionnelle. Tel qu’il a été mentionné, Stantec n’était pas
partie à l’arbitrage et, à l’audience arbitrale, aucun témoignage d’expert n’aété présenté, alors qu’un tel témoignage aurait été requis pour démontrer un manquement de Stantec à la norme de diligence en vued’établir toute responsabilité délictuelle. Tandis que Stantec a nié toute responsabilité devant la Cour, tout cela n’a aucune incidence surla chronologie factuelle qui fait se déclencher l’obligation pour Moncton d’intenter son action contre Stantec.
Pour décider du délai deprescription applicable, le juge saisi de la motion devait définir le cadre juridique régissant cette action. [19] Tel qu’il a été mentionné, Moncton a introduit l’action sous-jacente le 5 décembre 2016, soit plus de deux ansaprès avoir reçu la réclamation du 15 juillet 2014 de Dora. Elle reposait sur les mêmes faits que ceux présentés à l’arbitre et retenus parce dernier.
Lors des interrogatoires préalables, Moncton a porté au dossier sa position selon laquelle tous les retards sur l’échéancier,entre le 30 juin 2013 et le 15 mai 2014, étaient imputables à la mauvaise gestion par Stantec de l’élévation, à la première phase, del’ouvrage en acier. Cette position correspond aux conclusions tirées par l’arbitre et est fondée sur la même preuve. III. Moyens d’appel [20] Stantec affirme que le juge saisi de la motion a commis des erreurs de droit : (1) en concluant que la
partie de la demande de Moncton liée aux paiements qu’elle a effectués au
titre des dommages-intérêts adjugéspar la sentence arbitrale pour violations du contrat de la deuxième phase est une réclamation visant l’obtention d’une contribution régiepar le par. 14(1) de la Loi; (2) en concluant que l’al. 14(1)
a) de la Loi s’applique à la
partie de la demande de Moncton non liée aux paiements qu’elle a effectués,ou à une dette lui incombant en application d’un règlement à l’amiable ou d’un jugement, et en n’abordant pas l’argument de Stantecselon lequel le délai de prescription applicable à cette
partie de la demande de Moncton est celui prévu à l’art. 5 de la Loi; (3) en concluant que le délai de prescription prévu à l’al. 14(1)
a) de la Loi pour intenter une action en contribution commence à couriruniquement lorsqu’un réclamant a effectué un paiement, ou qu’une dette lui incombe en application d’un règlement à l’amiable ou d’unjugement. IV. Norme de contrôle [21] Le juge saisi de la motion devait déterminer quel était le délai de prescription applicable en fonction d’unensemble de faits. Il s’agit ainsi d’appliquer un critère juridique à un ensemble de faits, ce qui constitue une question de fait et de droit(Canada (Directeur des enquêtes et recherches) c. Southam Inc., (SCC), [1997] 1 R.C.S. 748, [1996] A.C.S. n° 116(QL), par. 35).
En l’espèce, la décision du juge saisi de la motion sur la disposition de la Loi applicable dépendait de ce qu’il déterminaitêtre la cause d’action de Moncton. Le juge a conclu que, en droit, l’action était fondée sur la contribution et l’indemnisation, et ainsiassujettie au délai de prescription prévu à l’art. 14. Dans la mesure où notre Cour doit évaluer, dans le cadre de son analyse, si le jugesaisi de la motion a cerné correctement la cause d’action en droit, la détermination du juge appelle la norme de contrôle de la décisioncorrecte.
Cela vaut aussi pour son interprétation des dispositions pertinentes de la Loi (Housen c. Nikolaisen, 2002 CSC 33, [2002] 2R.C.S. 235). V. Analyse A. Question préjudicielle [22] Avant d’aborder les questions soulevées en appel quant au délai de prescription, je voudrais commenterl’argument préliminaire de Moncton selon lequel il n’était pas approprié, dans la juridiction inférieure, de procéder par voie de motion enjugement
sommaire. Moncton a fait valoir que plusieurs [TRADUCTION] « éléments complexes » rendaient la procédure de jugementsommaire inappropriée dans la présente affaire. Il vaut la peine de répéter les déclarations antérieures de la Cour voulant que desquestions telles que la complexité des faits, le grand nombre de documents et d’éléments de preuve ou l’importance des enjeux financiers
ne font pas nécessairement obstacle, en soi, à la procédure de jugement
sommaire. Si le juge saisi de la motion peut apprécier correctement la question visée par la motion présentée sous le régime de la règle 22, indépendamment de ces facteurs, le fait qu’un ou plusieurs d’entre eux soient en cause dans l’affaire ne fait pas automatiquement obstacle à l’octroi d’un jugement
sommaire. Il reviendra au juge, dans l’exercice qui s’impose du pouvoir discrétionnaire que lui confère la règle 22, de déterminer si l’un quelconque de ces éléments complexes donne lieu à une véritable question en litige qui nécessite la tenue d’un procès. En l’absence d’une telle question, il faut prononcer un jugement
sommaire. [23] En l’espèce, le juge saisi de la motion a décidé que la cause d’action de Moncton reposait sur la contribution et l’indemnisation et qu’il n’y avait pas prescription. Il a rejeté sur ce fondement la motion en jugement
sommaire de Stantec. C’est ce qui constitue le fondement de l’appel de Stantec. Toutefois, les [TRADUCTION] « éléments complexes » de l’affaire n’empêchaient en rien le juge saisi de la motion de rendre sa décision, et il a eu raison de n’appuyer sur aucune de ces questions complexes son refus d’accueillir la motion. B.
Premier moyen – Le juge saisi de la motion a-t-il cerné correctement la contribution et l’indemnisation comme cause d’action de Moncton? [24] Aucune analyse n’est faite dans la décision du juge saisi de la motion pour étayer sa conclusion selon laquelle il s’agissait bien d’une réclamation visant l’obtention d’une contribution et d’une indemnisation. Le juge l’a supposé en raison principalement de la sentence arbitrale, et il a conclu que l’art. 14 de la Loi s’appliquait à tout délai de prescription en cause.
Au paragraphe 49 de sa décision, d’ailleurs, le juge écrit que la sentence arbitrale [TRADUCTION] « est le fondement de [l]a demande de contribution de [Moncton] ». Encore une fois, cependant, le juge n’offre aucune analyse pour étayer cette affirmation, si ce n’est de dire que, parce que l’arbitre a ordonné à Moncton d’acquitter la réclamation de Dora, elle peut recouvrer ce paiement de Stantec, en totalité ou en partie, au moyen d’une réclamation visant l’obtention d’une contribution ou d’une indemnisation.
Au paragraphe 50 de sa décision, le juge a écrit : [TRADUCTION] « Il ne s’agit pas d’une nouvelle demande de Moncton ». Cet énoncé suppose que la demande présentée par Dora contre Moncton dans son action, et dans le cadre de l’arbitrage, est la même que celle que Moncton prétend maintenant faire valoir contre Stantec, puisque le montant des dommages-intérêts réclamés est le même. Le juge a ajouté, au par. 50 : [TRADUCTION] « La qualification d’indemnité ou contribution ou de dommages-intérêts donne le même résultat pour les parties. »
Avec égards, j’estime, comme je le préciserai plus loin, qu’il s’agit là d’une erreur de droit. [25] Dans le même paragraphe, de plus, le juge a écrit que, si l’arbitre n’avait pas imputé la responsabilité à Moncton, aucune demande ne pourrait être formulée contre Stantec. Premièrement, cela suppose que Moncton n’aurait pu disposer d’aucune cause d’action distincte contre Stantec, quelle que soit l’issue de la réclamation de Dora contre elle. Une telle supposition est dénuée de tout fondement en droit.
Deuxièmement, l’énoncé du juge suppose que la décision de l’arbitre établissait le fondement juridique d’une réclamation visant l’obtention d’une contribution ou d’une indemnisation contre Stantec, malgré le fait que celle-ci n’était pas
partie à la procédure d’arbitrage. Il s’agit, cette fois encore, d’une erreur de droit. [26] En droit, une réclamation visant l’obtention d’une contribution ou d’une indemnisation découle d’un contrat ou d’un quasi-contrat. Dans le cas classique, une
partie convient de réparer la perte d’une autre, mais une telle demande peut aussi découler d’une clause expresse ou implicite d’un contrat. [27] En l’espèce, Moncton n’a ni plaidé ni fait valoir l’existence d’une quelconque obligation contractuelle expresse qui imposerait à Stantec de l’indemniser. Il ressort clairement