2022 NBCA 22, 2022 NBCA 22
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 31-21-CA 666917 N.B. INC. and T.C.I. MANUFACTURING INC. APPELLANTS 666917 N.B. INC. et T.C.I. MANUFACTURING INC. APPELANTES - and - - et - STAIRS BUILDING
(2004) LTD. RESPONDENT STAIRS BUILDING
(2004) LTD. INTIMÉE 666917 N.B. Inc. et al. v. Stairs Building
(2004) Ltd., 2022 NBCA 22 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice French The Honourable Justice LeBlond 666917 N.B. Inc. et autre c. Stairs Building
(2004) Ltd., 2022 NBCA 22 CORAM : l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge French l’honorable juge LeBlond Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: March 12, 2021 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : le 12 mars 2021 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: 2021 NBQB 58 Décision frappée d’appel : 2021 NBBR 58 Preliminary or incidental proceedings: 2020 NBQB 141 Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : 2020 NBBR 141 Appeal heard: January 18, 2022 Appel entendu : le 18 janvier 2022 Judgment rendered: June 2, 2022 Jugement rendu : le 2 juin 2022
Reasons for judgment: The Honourable Justice Quigg Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice French The Honourable Justice LeBlond Counsel at hearing: For the appellants: Matthew T. Hayes, Q.C. For the respondent: Andrew D. Rouse, Q.C. Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge Quigg Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge French l’honorable juge LeBlond Avocats à l’audience : Pour les appelantes : Matthew T. Hayes, c.r. Pour l’intimée : Andrew D. Rouse, c.r. THE COURT The appeal is dismissed with costs of $3,000. LA COUR L’appel est rejeté avec dépens de 3 000 $. The judgment of the Court was delivered by QUIGG, J.A. I. Introduction [ 1 ] This appeal concerns the
interpretation of a contract relating to the preparation of groundwork for an expansion to an existing building owned by the appellants, 666917 N.B. Inc. and T.C.I. Manufacturing Inc. [ 2 ] The primary issue is whether the contract was a fixed-price contract in the amount of $90,000 as the appellants alleged, or whether the cost to remove and replace unstable ground amounted to an “extra” under the contract. [ 3 ] The trial judge determined the evidence did not support the appellants’ allegations and Stairs Building
(2004) Ltd., the respondent, had proved its damages at trial. I agree. I would dismiss the appeal for the reasons that follow. II. Background
[ 4 ] Stairs has been involved in the construction industry for approximately 40 years. It primarily excavates and prepares groundwork for the foundation of buildings. Randy Stairs is the principal of the corporation. The appellant 666917 owns land and premises located at 55 Blizzard Street, in Fredericton. TCI manufacturing is related to 666917 and operates its business at that location. The directors of both corporations are Louis Bertrand and his brother, Paul Bertrand. [ 5 ] In 1994, the appellants built a structure on the property.
In 2012, they wished to construct an addition to the original building and contacted Stairs to provide a quote to prepare the groundwork for the addition. The appellants retained the engineering firm of Gemtec to provide a geotechnical report respecting the suitability of the soil for the building’s foundation. Stairs received a copy of the geotechnical report before providing a written quote dated October 12, 2012. [ 6 ] The appellants requested minor changes to the 2012 job, and Stairs was required to perform extra work as a result.
No written amendments were made to the 2012 quote, and Stairs invoiced the appellants for the extra work and was paid. Although the increased size of the addition and the price changed, all parties continued to work from the 2012 quote. The 2012 geotechnical report confirmed there was unstable ground on the property, which had to be removed by Stairs and replaced with aggregate before the addition could be constructed on the foundation.
As a result of the work carried out in 2012-2013, Stairs was aware the property contained unstable ground. [ 7 ] In early 2017, the appellants again contacted Stairs to obtain a quote to prepare the ground for a further addition to the building. Stairs provided a written quote dated November 10, 2017, for $114,626. This quote was provided without a new geotechnical report having been prepared.
As a result, the 2017 quote contained a provision excluding the excavation of unstable ground as Stairs was aware there could be issues, based on its experience working on the property in 2012-2013. [ 8 ] After November 2017, the appellants reduced the size of the addition and requested other minor changes in the scope of work. This resulted in a decrease of the 2017 quote from $114,626 to $90,000. The nature of the work to be undertaken by Stairs remained the same. The 2017 quote, which excluded the excavation of unstable ground, formed part of the contract between the parties.
As in the case of the 2012 job, the amendment to the price was a verbal agreement, not reduced to writing by the parties. [ 9 ] In August 2018, Stairs commenced its work without a geotechnical report respecting the soil where the foundation was to be built. Louis Bertrand acted as the project manager for the construction on behalf of the appellants. [ 10 ] At Stairs’ insistence, the appellants once again retained Gemtec to prepare a geotechnical report, which was completed on September 19, 2018. The report was prepared by Mr.
Kalaba, an engineer, who testified he had reviewed it with both Louis Bertrand and Randy Stairs at the property. It confirmed the area where the addition was to be built contained significant unstable ground, which had to be removed and replaced with approved aggregate. Randy Stairs testified that immediately after Mr. Kalaba reviewed the report with Louis Bertrand and himself, he advised Louis Bertrand he would charge $12.50 per ton to excavate the unstable ground and replace it with approved aggregate. Randy Stairs testified Louis Bertrand gave him a “nod” to go ahead and to follow Mr. Kalaba’s directions.
Louis Bertrand denies this. Mr. Kalaba also testified that Randy Stairs and Louis Bertrand had a discussion immediately after he reviewed the report with them, but he was not privy to what was discussed. Louis Bertrand testified at discovery that he did not speak to Mr. Kalaba or anyone else about the Gemtec report. [ 11 ] The underlying action was a claim for a mechanics’ lien by Stairs, against property owned by the appellants.
The appellants take the position the contract was a fixed-price job for $90,000 and there was no agreement to pay Stairs an extra $12.50 per ton to remove and replace the unstable ground. [ 12 ] There is no dispute that Louis Bertrand was on the site every day, and he observed all the extra work being performed by Stairs Building to excavate and replace the unstable ground. There is also no dispute all of the extra work was required in order to complete the job. Stairs purchased 7825 tons of additional aggregate from a gravel pit owned by Matt Harris and Son Limited to replace the unstable ground.
Invoices for these purchases and the delivery slips were entered as exhibits at trial. The delivery slips evidenced the number of the invoices which were sent to Stairs. A small number of the delivery slips were missing; however, most of the claim could be traced by way of the slips and records provided by Mr. Harris. [ 13 ] While in the Statement of Defence the appellants asserted the contract was for the fixed price of $90,000, they did not put forward, as an alternative defence, the amount claimed as an extra by Stairs was excessive or inaccurate.
In substance, the Statement of Defence centred on the allegation the contract was a fixed-price contract for $90,000.
A. Pre-trial motions [ 14 ] The trial was scheduled for July 6, 7, and 8, 2020. On June 25, 2020, the appellants filed a motion seeking an adjournment because their primary witness, Louis Bertrand, was under medical and psychological treatment and had been advised by his treating professional not to attend trial. The basis of this motion was that the key issues were the terms of the oral contract between Randy Stairs and Louis Bertrand and, in the event that Stairs prevailed, Stairs would be awarded damages.
According to the appellants, understanding the terms of the agreement had to be based on the evidence of these two witnesses. They were the parties who negotiated the terms of the predominantly oral contract, and both had testified at discovery. [ 15 ] In the months leading up to trial, Louis Bertrand sought treatment for mental health-related issues. According to the appellants, his treatment provider advised Paul Bertrand that Louis Bertrand should not participate in a trial until at least early 2021.
When the first motion was heard, on June 30, 2020, and the second, on July 6, 2020, the appellants sought adjournments of the trial. The basis of the request for the adjournments was Louis Bertrand’s unavailability due to his mental health concerns. [ 16 ] On June 30, 2020, the first motion was heard. The motion judge declined the adjournment holding the appellants had not filed sufficient evidence to substantiate the necessity to postpone the trial to 2021. At the second motion, further evidence from Louis Bertrand’s treatment provider was filed, explaining Louis Bertrand’s unavailability for the trial.
After the second motion, the judge found there still was not enough evidence to warrant postponing the trial to 2021 but granted a seven-week adjournment to allow counsel for the appellants to review documents recently disclosed by Stairs and directed the trial proceed on August 25, 26 and 27, 2020. Costs were awarded against the appellants on each motion. The appellants did not seek leave to appeal either motion decision. [ 17 ] A different trial judge commenced the trial on August 25, 2020, and Louis Bertrand did not participate.
With the consent of the parties, Louis Bertrand’s discovery evidence was entered as evidence pursuant to Rule 32.11 (7)(b). B. The appellants’ position [ 18 ] According to the appellants, Louis Bertrand’s absence deprived the court of essentially half of the necessary evidence regarding the terms of the oral agreement between the appellants and Stairs; prevented counsel for the appellants from examining Louis Bertrand directly or in response to cross-examination; and hindered counsel’s ability to cross-examine Randy Stairs on the evidence he had provided at trial.
The trial judge heard evidence from Paul Bertrand that his brother, Louis, was responsible for overseeing all work on the building and the expansion plans and had the substantive dealings with Stairs. [ 19 ] The appellants submit the effect of Louis Bertrand’s absence on the outcome of the trial is apparent throughout the trial judge’s decision. They say although Louis Bertrand’s discovery evidence is diametrically opposed to the judge’s findings on several points, the decision hardly refers to Louis Bertrand’s evidence at all.
The appellants contend the trial judge found that, while the appellants argued Stairs failed to notify them of the increased price caused by unstable ground, “there was nothing of substance in the evidence that would support that point” (para. 10).
The appellants submit the trial judge did not give any weight or consideration to Louis Bertrand’s discovery testimony that he knew nothing about a price increase until after Stairs issued invoices totalling $90,000. [ 20 ] The appellants argue the trial judge placed great emphasis on conversations between Randy Stairs and Louis Bertrand where Louis Bertrand purportedly gave non-verbal consent to prices and charges or told him to “just keep going” (para. 18), conversations that Louis Bertrand disputed in his discovery evidence.
The appellants say the trial judge faulted the appellants for not retaining a forensic accountant to review Stairs’ invoicing. They submit that by doing this, the trial judge effectively reversed the onus of proving damages, requiring the appellants to disprove Stairs’ claims. [ 21 ] According to the appellants, the trial judge concluded the 2018 verbal agreement between the appellants and Stairs was in essence, a “verbal modification” of the 2017 quote provided by Stairs.
Therefore, the appellants allege he implied a term into the 2018 verbal contract – a written term for a quote provided a year earlier about a different project. [ 22 ] Furthermore, the appellants contend the trial judge erred in dismissing doubts about the amount of aggregate delivered. The trial judge found that because the appellants believed it was a fixed-price contract, they could not question the amount on the invoice, or challenge the damages claimed.
C. The respondent’s position [ 23 ] With respect to the appellants’ contentions regarding the motion judge’s refusal to grant the adjournments, the respondents submit the evidence before the motion judge respecting Louis Bertrand’s attendance did not warrant an adjournment. In the appellants’ submission, they allege the motion judge granted a four-week adjournment.
In fact, it was an adjournment of approximately seven weeks – from July 6, 2021, to August 25, 2021. [ 24 ] Stairs also submits, if the appellants were unsatisfied with the motion judge’s decisions regarding the adjournment motions, they should have filed a motion for leave to appeal those interlocutory decisions.
Moreover, the appellants did not request a further adjournment prior to or at the commencement of the trial. [ 25 ] With respect to the appellants’ contention the trial judge implied a term into the 2018 contract, the respondents state there was no need to imply the term as it was already included in the 2017 contract and thus included in the 2018 verbal agreement. III. Grounds of Appeal [ 26 ] The appellants’ grounds for this appeal are as follows: i. The motion judge erred in refusing to adjourn the trial, despite the unavailability of a witness. This resulted in a fundamentally unfair trial; ii.
The trial judge erred in failing to properly consider the discovery evidence of Louis Bertrand and his uncontroverted statements with respect to the contract. Therefore, the judge did not have all the evidence; iii. The trial judge incorrectly implied a contractual term into a verbal agreement between the parties based on a misapprehension of the evidence; iv. The trial judge failed to properly consider the evidence respecting damages and applied an incorrect legal standard to Stairs’ claim and the appellants’ counterclaim. This created a reverse onus on the appellants to disprove damages; and v.
The trial judge erred in interpreting the contract. V. Standard of Review [ 27 ] The appellants raise five grounds, claiming all three standards of review are in play: the discretionary standard, the standard of correctness, and the standard of palpable and overriding error. [ 28 ] The discretionary standard reflects the high standard of deference accorded to discretionary decisions.
On appeal, the Court may only interfere with a discretionary judicial decision if it is founded on an error of law, an error in the application of the governing principles, or a palpable and overriding error in the assessment of the evidence: Maisonneuve, Hamelin, Martin Ltd. v. JWT Campground Inc. , [2021] N.B.J. No. 205 (QL) (C.A.), at para. 45 . [ 29 ] With respect to the remaining standards, questions of law are reviewable on the standard of correctness, while questions of fact are reviewable on the standard of palpable and overriding error: Vautour et al. v.
Her Majesty the Queen in right of the Province of New Brunswick et al. , 2021 NBCA 4 , [2021] N.B.J. No. 18 (QL) , at para. 31 ; Housen v. Nikolaisen , 2002 SCC 33 , [2002] 2 S.C.R. 235 .
[30] Questions of mixed fact and law are reviewable on the standard of palpable and overriding error, unless aquestion of law is extricable from the mix, in which case the standard of review is correctness. Instances where a question of law isextricable include “the application of an incorrect principle, the failure to consider a required element of a legal test, or the failure toconsider a relevant factor” (see Sattva Capital Corp. v. Creston Moly Corp., 2014 SCC 53, [2014] 2 S.C.R. 633, at para. 53; AlgoEnterprises Ltd. v.
Repap New Brunswick Inc., 2016 NBCA 35, 450 N.B.R. (2d) 238, at para. 18; Vautour, at para. 31). [31] The appellants submit the standards of review with respect to each ground of appeal are: a. With respect to ground one (failing to grant an adjournment): the discretionary standard. I agree; b. With respect to ground two (failing to consider evidence): the standard of palpable and overriding error. I agree; c. With respect to ground three (implying contractual term): the standard of correctness or, alternatively, palpable and overridingerror. In my view, the standard is palpable and overriding error; d.
With respect to ground four (reversal of onus): the standard of correctness. I agree; and e. With respect to ground five (improper
interpretation): the standard of correctness or, alternatively, palpable and overriding error. Inmy view, the standard is palpable and overriding error. A. Ground one: refusal to grant adjournment [32] Before the trial, the appellants filed two motions requesting the trial be adjourned, alleging the situationwarranted an adjournment. The motion judge, in her discretion, declined to grant the first motion and, after hearing the second motion,granted a seven-week adjournment. The hearing was adjourned from July 6, 2021, to August 25, 2021. [33] A decision to refuse an adjournment is discretionary. In Burtt v.
Boyle et al. (2011), (NBCA), 382 N.B.R. (2d) 206, [2011] N.B.J. No. 471 (QL) (C.A.), this Court dealt with a motion for an adjournment where a witness wasunavailable to testify at the trial and counsel for both parties determined it would be preferable for the trial to be adjourned. Richard J.A.,as he then was, wrote: In my view, a judge of the Court of Appeal should be reluctant to interfere with the process leading to a trial in the Court of Queen’sBench, and there are sound policy reasons for this. It is not the function of the Court of Appeal to supervise every step in the trialprocess.
This is reflected by a standard of review of discretionary decisions that is, as I have stated, stamped with deference. [para. 16] [34] Stairs submits, if the appellants were unsatisfied with the decisions rendered on either of their motions toadjourn, they were required to file a motion for leave to appeal them. In my view, it is incorrect to state the appellants had to seek leaveto appeal.
Although the motion judge’s decisions, first, dismissing the motion on June 30, 2020, and second, granting a seven-weekadjournment on July 6, 2022, were interlocutory as they did not finally dispose or substantially decide the rights of the parties, theappellants were not obligated to seek leave to appeal at that point. It was open to them to wait until they received the trial decision.
Ileave open the question whether in some instances the Court might fault a party for not seeking leave to appeal an interlocutory decision.The fact remains that the threshold to obtain leave is high and there may be many reasons why one would not seek leave but wait untilafter trial to raise a particular issue. Of course, whether leave to appeal is sought from a ruling refusing an adjournment or whether thematter is raised on appeal following trial, the standard of review remains the same.
Such a ruling is an exercise of discretion and willonly be reversed on appeal if the ruling was “founded upon an error of law, an error in the application of the governing principles or apalpable and overriding error in the assessment of the evidence”: The Beaverbrook Canadian Foundation v. The Beaverbrook ArtGallery, 2006 NBCA 75, 302 N.B.R. (2d) 161, at para. 4. [35] In my view, the motion judge did not commit any error that would justify appellate interference with her
disposition of the adjournment requests. Although the appellants contend Louis Bertrand was their key witness and was unavailable totestify because of medical issues, in the decision on the first motion for an adjournment the judge observed there was insufficientevidence before her to establish the witness could not testify (2020 NBQB 141, [2020] N.B.J. No. 198 (QL), at para. 3) as there was noaffidavit from the witness nor from a treating health care provider.
The motion judge stated there was no evidence on the record withrespect to Louis Bertrand’s “problem,” “treatment,” “when he will be better,” “what the condition is,” “how long it has been going on.”Therefore, the motion judge determined she did not have the necessary evidence before her to justify granting a longer adjournmentbased on Louis Bertrand’s alleged inability to testify at the trial.
This was within her discretion as it was also within her discretion togrant a seven-week adjournment after hearing the second motion for adjournment. [36] In this case, the motion judge, in her July 6, 2020 oral decision, stated: The defendants brought a motion requesting an adjournment a week prior to trial, which was denied. The basis for the earlier request foradjournment was the inability of a key witness to participate in trial preparation and to testify due to medical challenges.
That motion wasdenied as there was simply insufficient evidence furnished to the Court to substantiate the medical problems experienced by the witnesswhich precluded his participation in the trial process. The defendants had not provided an affidavit from the witness in question nor froma treating health professional.
The only evidence furnished in support of the motion was an affidavit from the president of the companyexplaining the witness would be compromised should he be compelled to testify and attaching a very brief medical note from apsychologist. […] Whether or not to grant an adjournment is a discretionary order of the Court.
In exercising such a discretion, the Court is mindful that abalance must be struck between the prejudice that would be occasioned by the party who is ready and wants to proceed and the prejudicethat would be occasioned by the party who is requesting the adjournment on the basis they have been unable to fully prepare. In thepresent matter, I have already refused one request for an adjournment with the knowledge that the loss of a key witness presented achallenge to the defendant in the preparation of their case.
These challenges coupled with the late service of the documents thedefendants now intend to use to challenge the plaintiff’s claims tip the scales in favour of the defendants. I am satisfied that the potential prejudice to the defendant in proceeding with this matter this morning outweighs the prejudice to theplaintiff in granting a brief adjournment. However, I am not prepared to adjourn the matter until 2021 as requested by the defendants toensure the participation of their currently unavailable witness.
The defendants filed no evidence in either motion requesting theadjournments to substantiate the necessity of postponing the trial until 2021. The best means to limit the prejudice to the plaintiff is toreschedule the trial as soon as possible. The defendants’ motion to adjourn the trial is granted pursuant to Rule 54.02 with costs in thecause. The trial will proceed on August 25, 26, and 27, 2020. [paras. 11, 13-14] [37] There is nothing in the motion judge’s decision that amounts to an error of the type that would justify appellateinterference on application of the proper standard of review.
It is obvious the motion judge understood and considered the effects ofLouis Bertrand’s inability to testify. I would dismiss this ground of appeal. B. Ground two: failure to properly consider the discovery evidence of Louis Bertrand [38] Considering the judge’s rulings on the requests to adjourn and the ostensible unavailability of the witness, thediscovery evidence of Louis Bertrand was used at the trial with the consent of both parties. [39] Both parties agree courts should consider the surrounding circumstances of a contract when interpreting it. InSattva Capital Corp. v.
Creston Moly Corp., 2014 SCC 53, [2014] 2 S.C.R. 633, the Supreme Court wrote the
interpretation of a contractis inherently fact specific: The shift away from the historical approach in Canada appears to be based on two developments. The first is the adoption of an approachto contractual
interpretation which directs courts to have regard for the surrounding circumstances of the contract – often referred to asthe factual matrix - when interpreting a written contract (Hall, at pp. 13, 21-25 and 127; and J. D. McCamus, The Law of Contracts (2nded. 2012), at pp. 749-51). The second is the explanation of the difference between questions of law and questions of mixed fact and lawprovided in Canada (Director of Investigation and Research) v. Southam Inc., (CSC), [1997] 1 S.C.R. 748, at para. 35,and Housen v. Nikolaisen, 2002 SCC 33, [2002] 2 S.C.R. 235, at paras. 26 and 31-36.
Regarding the first development, the
interpretation of contracts has evolved towards a practical, common-sense approach not dominated by technical rules of construction. The overriding concern is to determine “the intent of the parties and the scope of their understanding” ( Jesuit Fathers of Upper Canada v. Guardian Insurance Co. of Canada , 2006 SCC 21 , [2006] 1 S.C.R. 744 , at para. 27 , per LeBel J.; see also Tercon Contractors Ltd. v. British Columbia (Transportation and Highways) , 2010 SCC 4 , [2010] 1 S.C.R. 69 , at paras. 64-65 , per Cromwell J.).
To do so, a decision-maker must read the contract as a whole, giving the words used their ordinary and grammatical meaning, consistent with the surrounding circumstances known to the parties at the time of formation of the contract. Consideration of the surrounding circumstances recognizes that ascertaining contractual intention can be difficult when looking at words on their own, because words alone do not have an immutable or absolute meaning: No contracts are made in a vacuum: there is always a setting in which they have to be placed [...].
In a commercial contract it is certainly right that the court should know the commercial purpose of the contract and this in turn presupposes knowledge of the genesis of the transaction, the background, the context, the market in which the parties are operating. ( Reardon Smith Line , at p. 574, per Lord Wilberforce) The meaning of words is often derived from a number of contextual factors, including the purpose of the agreement and the nature of the relationship created by the agreement (see Moore Realty Inc. v. Manitoba Motor League , 2003 MBCA 71 , 173 Man.
R. (2d) 300 , at para. 15 , per Hamilton J.A.; see also Hall, at p. 22; and McCamus, at pp. 749-50). As stated by Lord Hoffmann in Investors Compensation Scheme Ltd. v. West Bromwich Building Society , [1998] 1 All E.R. 98 (H.L.) : The meaning which a document (or any other utterance) would convey to a reasonable man is not the same thing as the meaning of its words.
The meaning of words is a matter of dictionaries and grammars; the meaning of the document is what the parties using those words against the relevant background would reasonably have been understood to mean. [p. 115] […] Although that caution was expressed in the context of a negligence case, it applies, in my opinion, to contractual
interpretation as well. As mentioned above, the goal of contractual
interpretation, to ascertain the objective intentions of the parties, is inherently fact specific. The close relationship between the selection and application of principles of contractual
interpretation and the construction ultimately given to the instrument means that the circumstances in which a question of law can be extricated from the
interpretation process will be rare. In the absence of a legal error of the type described above, no appeal lies under the AA from an arbitrator’s
interpretation of a contract. [paras. 46-48 and 55] [ 40 ] The appellants submit the trial judge “substantially ignored” the evidence of Louis Bertrand and only referenced the evidence that was consistent with Randy Stairs’ evidence at trial. [ 41 ] According to the appellants, the trial judge had only the discovery evidence of Louis Bertrand available to him measured against the testimony of Randy Stairs at trial. The appellants say the trial judge favoured Randy Stairs’ evidence on essentially all material issues including:
(1) Louis Bertrand’s “non-verbal” approval of pricing; and (2) the different contexts of the 2017 quote and the 2018 agreement. [ 42 ] The appellants contend the trial judge disregarded Louis Bertrand’s evidence on all relevant points and favoured Randy Stairs’ evidence without undertaking an assessment of Louis Bertrand’s credibility. According to the appellants, because the adjournment was not granted and the key witness was unable to testify, the trial judge should have provided cogent and detailed reasoning for rejecting Louis Bertrand’s testimony.
The appellants claim the evidence was that Randy Stairs guaranteed a maximum price of $90,000.00, he did not quote $12.50 per tonne of extra soil until after he had invoiced $90,000, and he had waived the exclusion for unstable ground because he was dealing with soil on which he had worked in 2012. The appellants say the trial judge did not analyze any of Mr. Bertrand’s evidence that was contrary to Stairs’ position.
As a result, the decision warrants no deference and is flawed by a palpable and overriding error . [ 43 ] A review of the record does not indicate the trial judge failed to properly analyze the evidence before him. In my view, he provided a detailed analysis of all that evidence. Under the circumstances, the discovery evidence was the only evidence of Louis Bertrand that could be considered. The judge’s acceptance of certain evidence over other evidence raises a question of fact and must be reviewed on the palpable and overriding standard.
[ 44 ] The appellants also submit the trial judge’s decision is reviewable on the standard of correctness because he failed to adhere to the rule in Browne v. Dunn when he preferred Stairs’ evidence over the appellants’ without the benefit of the direct testimony of Louis Bertrand. With respect, I do not agree. Recall the parties agreed to read in the discovery testimony of Louis Bertrand at the commencement of the trial. [ 45 ] The rule in Browne v. Dunn , [1893] J.C.J. No. 5 (QL), has no application. The appellants rely on Shephard v. R. , 2019 NBCA 76 , [2019] N.B.J. No. 313 (QL) .
In my view, this case is distinguishable from Shephard . Louis Bertrand did not testify at trial. The parties agreed to use his discovery evidence. At no point during Randy Stairs’ trial testimony did counsel for the appellants object to anything he said respecting his discussions with Louis Bertrand during his direct examination. I would dismiss this ground of appeal. C. Ground three: implied contractual term [ 46 ] The appellants submit the contract between the parties was a fixed-price contract and the excavation and removal of unstable ground was included in the price.
They contend the trial judge implied a term to the contract between the parties, allowing Stairs to claim an extra amount for the removal and replacement of unstable ground. [ 47 ] Terms may be implied in a contract based on the existence of: (1) custom or usage; (2) the legal incidence of a particular class or kind of contract; or (3) “the presumed intention of the parties, where the implied term must be necessary ‘to give business efficacy to a contract or as otherwise meeting the ‘officious bystander’ test as a term which the parties would say, if questioned, that they had obviously assumed’”: Briggs v.
Desjardins Seed Farms Ltd ., 2019 NBCA 2 , [2019] N.B.J. No. 2 (QL) , at para. 16 . [ 48 ] The appellants submit the trial judge did not apply these principles correctly and erred in law by implying the unstable ground exclusion in the 2018 agreement. In the alternative, the appellants say the trial judge committed a palpable and overriding error through his disregard of Louis Bertrand’s evidence to the contrary. I do not agree. The trial judge found the exclusion clause contained in the 2017 quote formed part of the contract between the parties; therefore, there was no need to imply such a clause.
It already existed. [ 49 ] Sonny Phillips was declared to be an expert witness regarding construction project management and the bidding of construction jobs. He testified as a witness for Stairs. Mr. Phillips testified that it is accepted industry practice that an exclusion clause for the removal and replacement of unstable ground can be considered an implied term between the parties when there is no geotechnical report available to the contractor. To do otherwise would place an unknown risk on a contractor as the presence and quantity of unstable ground could not be known (Trial decision, para. 69).
This would be a deterrent to contractors agreeing to a fixed- price contract in the absence of a geotechnical report. [ 50 ] The trial judge found that, given Stairs’ knowledge of the property and in particular that the property contained unstable ground, the exclusion clause contained in the 2017 quote was very important to Stairs Building (para. 68).
Further, the judge found it would not be reasonable for Stairs to engage in a fixed-price contract when Stairs knew there was unstable ground on the property (para. 72). [ 51 ] The trial judge determined the exclusion clause contained in the 2017 quote formed part of the contract between the parties and therefore concluded Stairs had not agreed to a fixed-price contract as alleged by the appellants.
The industry standard implying an exclusion clause to a contract when no geotechnical report was available to the contractor was further evidence to support the fact that Stairs would not have agreed to a fixed-price contract in the circumstances (paras. 65 and 69). [ 52 ] Stairs submits the trial judge did not impute an exclusion clause into the contract between the parties as Stairs had already excluded the excavation and removal of unstable ground in its written 2017 quote, which the trial judge found formed part of the contract between the parties (para. 65). [ 53 ] The contract clearly provided for a potential increase in price because of possible unstable soil conditions.
There is no dispute about that, and the judge interpreted the evidence accordingly.
[ 54 ] The appellants contend this was a fixed-price (guaranteed) contract and the clause in the contract relating to the exclusion for unstable soil must be ignored because Louis Bertrand did not agree to any increase in cost. I do not agree. A report was prepared by Gemtec, with the knowledge of both parties, specifically to address this issue and it confirmed the presence of the unstable soil. Randy Stairs says the engineer, Mr. Kalaba, discussed the report with Louis Bertrand and himself. This was when the price of $12.50 per tonne was agreed upon.
Louis Bertrand denied this at discovery, notwithstanding he was present on site throughout the excavation and aggregate replacement work. Moreover, he testified he told Randy Stairs to follow the advice and instructions of Gemtec, whose engineer testified at trial for the appellants. There is no evidentiary basis to accept this extra work would be done for nothing. Stairs would not have proceeded without Louis Bertrand’s approval (the “nod”).
That is how they had traditionally done business. [ 55 ] I discern no palpable and overriding error justifying appellate intervention and would dismiss this ground of appeal. D. Ground four: reversal of onus [ 56 ] The appellants submit the trial judge placed the onus on them to disprove the damages claimed by Stairs. They say they noted various discrepancies between the amount of aggregate Stairs said it delivered and the slips provided by Matt Harris and Son Ltd. indicating the amount of aggregate that was actually delivered.
They submit the trial judge faulted them because their pleadings “say nothing about defending the claim on the basis that Stairs could not reconcile with precision every load delivered from the Harris pit” (para. 82), thereby ignoring the rule that damages are always in issue unless specifically admitted.
According to the appellants, the trial judge also found they had the onus of disproving Stairs’ stated damages, and then ruled out their ability to “go behind” the invoices because they maintained it was a fixed-price contract. [ 57 ] Stairs submitted invoices from Matt Harris and Son Ltd., the gravel provider, which set out, among other things, the quantity of aggregate purchased by Stairs for the job. The invoices indicated that a total of 12,825 tonnes of aggregate were sold to Stairs for the job, 7,825 tonnes of which were used to replace the unstable ground.
Stairs also submitted as evidence various delivery slips from Matt Harris and Son Ltd. to provide confirmation for its invoices for the aggregate. The trial judge found the “[t]he vast majority of the claim can be traced by way of the various slips and records provided by Mr. Harris” (para. 43). [ 58 ] Mr. Phillips testified the 2017 quote was low and a very reasonable price to do the job. He further testified that the price of $12.50 per tonne to replace and compact the unstable ground was reasonable. This evidence was not challenged at trial.
The trial judge found the extra work completed by Stairs was necessary to complete the job. [ 59 ] A review of the record reveals the trial judge’s comments did not place an onus on the appellants to disprove the damages claimed by Stairs. The Statement of Defence filed by the appellants did not allege the extras claimed by Stairs were excessive.
Furthermore, the trial judge questioned whether Stairs was required to provide the delivery slips in addition to the invoices to prove its damages as the invoices contained necessary information to quantify the claim for damages. [ 60 ] The findings of the trial judge did not reverse the onus such that the appellants had to disprove Stairs’ quantification of its damages. I would dismiss this ground of appeal. E. Ground five:
interpretation [ 61 ] The appellants argue the trial judge erred in his
interpretation of the contract. They say the decision is reversible, either on the standard of correctness or that of palpable and overriding error, because the trial judge failed to consider the surrounding circumstances. They submit the trial judge ignored: a. Mr. Bertrand’s evidence that Mr. Stairs “guaranteed” his price would not go above $90,000;
b. Mr. Bertrand’s evidence that Mr. Stairs did not quote him $12.50 per tonne until after he had invoiced the appellants $90,000; and c. Mr. Bertrand’s evidence that Stairs gave its 2017 quote in November for a different project but the 2018 agreement was struck in the summer, with a contemplated completion date before the cold season, and for work in soil in which Stairs had worked in 2012. [ 62 ] In my view, this ground appears to repeat grounds two and three. For the above reasons, I conclude the trial judge did not err in interpreting the contract between the parties.
I discern no errors that would justify appellate interference on the standard either of correctness or of palpable and overriding error. I would dismiss this ground of appeal. VII. Disposition [ 63 ] I would dismiss the appeal with costs in the amount of $3,000. Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par LA JUGE QUIGG I. Introduction [1] Le présent appel porte sur l’interprétation d’un contrat relatif à la préparation des travaux de terrassement en vue de l’agrandissement d’un bâtiment existant appartenant aux appelantes, 666917 N.B. Inc. et T.C.I.
Manufacturing Inc. [2] La question principale est de savoir s’il s’agissait d’un contrat à prix fixe d’un montant de 90 000 $, comme le prétendaient les appelantes, ou si le coût pour l’enlèvement et le remplacement du terrain instable constituait un [TRADUCTION] « coût supplémentaire » au
titre du contrat. [3] Le juge de première instance a estimé que la preuve n’étayait pas les allégations des appelantes et que Stairs Building
(2004) Ltd., l’intimée, avait prouvé ses dommages-intérêts au procès. Je suis du même avis. Je rejetterais l’appel pour les motifs exposés ci-après. II. Contexte [4] Stairs est présente dans le secteur de la construction depuis environ 40 ans. Elle s’occupe principalement de l’excavation et de la préparation des travaux de terrassement pour les fondations de bâtiments. Randy Stairs est le principal responsable de la société. L’appelante 666917 est propriétaire d’un terrain et de locaux sis au 55, rue Blizzard, à Fredericton. TCI Manufacturing est liée à 666917 et exerce ses activités à cet endroit.
Les administrateurs des deux sociétés sont Louis Bertrand et son frère, Paul Bertrand. [5] En 1994, les appelantes ont érigé une construction sur le bien. En 2012, elles ont souhaité construire une
annexe au bâtiment d’origine et ont communiqué avec Stairs pour lui demander de fournir un devis pour la préparation des travaux de terrassement pour l’annexe. Les appelantes ont retenu les services de la société d’ingénierie Gemtec pour fournir un rapport géotechnique afin de déterminer si le sol convenait pour la fondation du bâtiment. Stairs a reçu copie du rapport géotechnique avant de présenter un devis écrit daté du 12 octobre 2012. [6] Les appelantes ont demandé des changements mineurs au projet de 2012 et Stairs a dû effectuer des travaux supplémentaires en conséquence.
Aucune modification écrite n’a été apportée au devis de 2012 et Stairs a facturé les appelantes pour les travaux supplémentaires et en a reçu paiement. Bien que la taille accrue de l’annexe et le prix aient changé, toutes les parties ont continué à travailler sur le fondement du devis de 2012. Le rapport géotechnique de 2012 a confirmé que le bien comportait du terrain instable, lequel a dû être enlevé par Stairs et remplacé par des granulats avant que l’annexe puisse être construite sur la fondation.
Par suite des travaux effectués en 2012-2013, Stairs savait que le bien comportait du terrain instable. [7] Au début de l’année 2017, les appelantes se sont de nouveau adressées à Stairs afin d’obtenir un devis pour les travaux de terrassement en vue de la construction d’une nouvelle
annexe au bâtiment. Stairs a présenté un devis écrit daté du 10 novembre 2017 pour un montant de 114 626 $. Ce devis a été fourni sans qu’un nouveau rapport géotechnique ait été préparé. Par conséquent, le devis de 2017 comportait une clause excluant l’excavation de terrain instable, car, forte de l’expérience qu’elle avait acquise en travaillant sur le bien en 2012-2013, Stairs était consciente du fait qu’il pouvait y avoir des problèmes. [8] Après novembre 2017, les appelantes ont réduit la taille de l’annexe et ont demandé d’autres changements mineurs dans l’envergure des travaux.
Cela a entraîné une diminution du devis de 2017, qui est passé de 114 626 $ à 90 000 $. La nature des travaux à entreprendre par Stairs est demeurée la même. Le devis de 2017, qui excluait l’excavation de terrain instable, faisait
partie du contrat liant les parties. Tout comme dans le cas du projet de 2012, le changement de prix a été convenu verbalement, les parties ne l’ayant pas constaté par un écrit. [9] En août 2018, Stairs a entamé ses travaux sans le bénéfice d’un rapport géotechnique concernant le sol où la fondation devait être construite. Louis Bertrand faisait office de gestionnaire du projet de construction pour le compte des appelantes. [10] Puisque Stairs a insisté, les appelantes ont de nouveau retenu les services de Gemtec pour préparer un rapport géotechnique, lequel a été achevé le 19 septembre 2018.
Le rapport a été établi par M. Kalaba, un ingénieur, qui a témoigné qu’il l’avait passé en revue avec Louis Bertrand et Randy Stairs sur les lieux. Le rapport confirmait que l’endroit où l’annexe devait être construite comportait beaucoup de terrain instable, lequel devait être enlevé et remplacé par du granulat approuvé. Randy Stairs a témoigné qu’immédiatement après que M. Kalaba eut passé en revue le rapport avec Louis Bertrand et lui-même, il a informé Louis Bertrand qu’il facturerait 12,50 $ la tonne pour excaver le terrain instable et le remplacer par du granulat approuvé.
Randy Stairs a témoigné que Louis Bertrand lui a fait un [TRADUCTION] « signe de tête » lui signifiant d’aller de l’avant et de suivre les instructions de M. Kalaba. Louis Bertrand nie ce fait. M. Kalaba a également déclaré que Randy Stairs et Louis Bertrand s’étaient entretenus immédiatement après qu’il eut passé en revue le rapport avec eux, mais qu’il n’était pas au courant de ce qui avait été discuté. À l’interrogatoire préalable, Louis Bertrand a déclaré n’avoir pas parlé du rapport de Gemtec à M.
Kalaba ou à qui que ce soit. [11] L’action sous-jacente était une revendication de privilège de construction que faisait valoir Stairs à l’égard d’un bien appartenant aux appelantes.
Les appelantes soutiennent que le contrat était un contrat à prix fixe de 90 000 $ et qu’il n’existait aucune entente aux termes de laquelle Stairs recevrait un supplément de 12,50 $ par tonne pour enlever et remplacer le terrain instable. [12] Il n’est pas contesté que Louis Bertrand était présent sur le chantier tous les jours et qu’il a observé tout le travail supplémentaire effectué par Stairs Building pour excaver et remplacer le terrain instable. Il n’est pas non plus contesté que tout ce travail supplémentaire était nécessaire pour réaliser le projet.
Stairs a acheté 7 825 tonnes de granulats supplémentaires à une gravière appartenant à Matt Harris & Son Ltd. pour remplacer le terrain instable. Les factures de ces achats et les bordereaux de livraison ont été versés comme pièces au procès. Les bordereaux de livraison indiquaient les numéros des factures qui ont été envoyées à Stairs. Un petit nombre de bordereaux de livraison manquaient; cependant, la revendication pouvait en grande
partie être établie au moyen des bordereaux et registres fournis par M. Harris. [13] Bien que, dans l’exposé de la défense, les appelantes aient affirmé que le contrat était un contrat à prix fixe de 90 000 $, elles n’ont pas invoqué, comme moyen de défense subsidiaire, que le montant revendiqué en supplément par Stairs était excessif ou inexact. En substance, l’exposé de la défense était axé sur l’allégation selon laquelle le contrat était un contrat à prix fixe de 90 000 $. A. Motions préalables au procès
[14] Le procès était prévu pour les 6, 7 et 8 juillet 2020. Le 25 juin 2020, les appelantes ont déposé une motion sollicitant un ajournement, car Louis Bertrand, leur principal témoin, était sous traitement médical et psychologique et son professionnel traitant lui avait conseillé de ne pas assister au procès. Le fondement de cette motion était que les questions clés avaient trait aux clauses du contrat oral intervenu entre Randy Stairs et Louis Bertrand et que, dans le cas où Stairs aurait gain de cause, elle se verrait attribuer des dommages-intérêts.
Selon les appelantes, pour comprendre les clauses de l’entente, il fallait se fonder sur le témoignage de ces deux témoins. Ils étaient les parties qui avaient négocié les clauses du contrat essentiellement oral, et tous deux avaient témoigné à l’interrogatoire préalable. [15] Dans les mois qui ont précédé le procès, Louis Bertrand se faisait traiter pour des problèmes de santé mentale. Selon les appelantes, son fournisseur de traitement a informé Paul Bertrand que Louis Bertrand ne devrait pas participer à un procès tout au moins avant le début de l’année 2021.
À l’audition de la première motion, le 30 juin 2020, et de la seconde, le 6 juillet 2020, les appelantes ont sollicité des ajournements du procès. Les demandes d’ajournement étaient fondées sur la non-disponibilité de Louis Bertrand pour cause de ses problèmes de santé mentale. [16] La première motion a été entendue le 30 juin 2020. La juge saisie de la motion a refusé l’ajournement, estimant que les appelantes n’avaient pas produit suffisamment d’éléments de preuve pour démontrer la nécessité de reporter le procès en 2021.
Lors de la deuxième motion, d’autres éléments de preuve, provenant du fournisseur de traitement de Louis Bertrand et expliquant la non-disponibilité de ce dernier pour le procès, ont été déposés. Après la deuxième motion, la juge a conclu qu’il n’y avait toujours pas suffisamment d’éléments de preuve pour justifier le report du procès en 2021, mais a accordé un ajournement de sept semaines pour permettre à l’avocat des appelantes d’examiner les documents récemment communiqués par Stairs et a ordonné que le procès se tienne les 25, 26 et 27 août 2020.
Les dépens afférents à chacune des motions ont été adjugés contre les appelantes. Les appelantes n’ont pas demandé l’autorisation d’interjeter appel des décisions relatives aux deux motions. [17] Un autre juge de première instance a entamé le procès le 25 août 2020, et Louis Bertrand n’y a pas participé. Du consentement des parties, la déposition de l’interrogatoire préalable de Louis Bertrand a été présentée en preuve en vertu de la règle 32.11(7)b). B.
La position des appelantes [18] Selon les appelantes, l’absence de Louis Bertrand a privé la cour essentiellement de la moitié des éléments de preuve nécessaires concernant les clauses de l’entente verbale intervenue entre les appelantes et Stairs; elle a empêché l’avocat des appelantes de procéder à l’interrogatoire principal de Louis Bertrand ou à son réinterrogatoire; et elle a entravé la capacité de l’avocat de contre-interroger Randy Stairs sur les éléments de preuve qu’il avait présentés au procès.
Le juge de première instance a entendu le témoignage de Paul Bertrand selon lequel son frère, Louis, était responsable de la supervision de tous les travaux sur le bâtiment et des projets d’agrandissement et que c’était surtout lui qui faisait affaire avec Stairs. [19] Les appelantes soutiennent que l’effet de l’absence de Louis Bertrand sur l’issue du procès est évident d’un bout à l’autre de la décision du juge de première instance.
Elles affirment que, bien que le témoignage de Louis Bertrand à l’interrogatoire préalable soit diamétralement opposé aux conclusions dégagées par le juge sur plusieurs points, la décision mentionne à peine la preuve présentée par Louis Bertrand. Les appelantes font valoir que le juge de première instance a conclu que, bien que les appelantes aient soutenu que Stairs avait omis de les aviser de l’augmentation du prix liée à l’instabilité du terrain, [TRADUCTION] « aucun élément de preuve substantiel n’a permis d’étayer ce point » (par. 10).
Les appelantes soutiennent que le juge de première instance n’a accordé aucun poids ni aucune importance au témoignage de Louis Bertrand à l’interrogatoire préalable, selon lequel il ne savait rien de l’augmentation du prix avant que Stairs n’ait présenté des factures totalisant 90 000 $. [20] Les appelantes soutiennent que le juge de première instance a attaché beaucoup d’importance aux conversations entre Randy Stairs et Louis Bertrand, au cours desquelles ce dernier aurait donné un consentement non verbal aux prix et aux frais ou lui aurait dit de [TRADUCTION] « simplement continuer » (par. 18), conversations que Louis Bertrand a contestées dans son témoignage à l’interrogatoire préalable.
Les appelantes affirment que le juge de première instance leur a reproché de ne pas avoir retenu les services d’un expert-comptable judiciaire pour examiner les factures de Stairs.
Elles soutiennent qu’en agissant de la sorte, le juge de première instance a effectivement inversé la charge d’établir la preuve des dommages-intérêts, obligeant ainsi les appelantes à réfuter les prétentions de Stairs. [21] Selon les appelantes, le juge de première instance a conclu que l’entente verbale de 2018 intervenue entre les appelantes et Stairs constituait essentiellement [TRADUCTION] une « modification verbale » du devis de 2017 fourni par Stairs. Dès lors, les appelantes allèguent qu’il a conclu que le contrat verbal de 2018 comportait une clause implicite – une clause écrite relative à un
devis fourni un an plus tôt au sujet d’un projet différent . [22] En outre, les appelantes soutiennent que le juge de première instance a commis une erreur lorsqu’il a rejeté les doutes concernant la quantité de granulat qui avait été livrée. Le juge de première instance a estimé que, puisque les appelantes croyaient qu’il s’agissait d’un contrat à prix fixe, elles ne pouvaient pas remettre en question le montant figurant sur la facture ni contester les dommages-intérêts réclamés. C.
La position de l’intimée [23] S’agissant des affirmations des appelantes au sujet du refus de la juge saisie des motions d’accorder les ajournements, les intimées soutiennent que les éléments de preuve dont la juge disposait concernant la comparution de Louis Bertrand ne justifiaient pas l’ajournement. Dans leurs observations, les appelantes prétendent que la juge saisie des motions a accordé un ajournement de quatre semaines.
En fait, il s’agissait d’un ajournement d’environ sept semaines – du 6 juillet 2021 au 25 août 2021. [24] Stairs soutient également que, si les appelantes n’étaient pas satisfaites des décisions de la juge saisie des motions quant à l’ajournement, elles auraient dû déposer une motion en autorisation d’appel de ces décisions interlocutoires.
De plus, les appelantes n’ont pas sollicité un autre ajournement avant le procès ou au début de celui-ci. [25] S’agissant de l’affirmation des appelantes selon laquelle le juge de première instance a conclu que le contrat de 2018 comportait une clause implicite , les intimées affirment qu’il n’était pas nécessaire de conclure à l’existence d’une telle clause puisqu’elle faisait déjà
partie du contrat de 2017 et faisait donc
partie de l’entente verbale de 2018. III. Moyens d’appel [26] À l’appui du présent appel, les appelantes invoquent les moyens suivants : i. La juge saisie des motions a commis une erreur lorsqu’elle a refusé d’ajourner le procès malgré la non- disponibilité d’un témoin. Il en a résulté un procès fondamentalement inéquitable; ii. Le juge de première instance a commis une erreur du fait qu’il n’a pas tenu dûment compte du témoignage de Louis Bertrand à l’interrogatoire préalable et de ses déclarations non contredites concernant le contrat. Par conséquent, le juge ne disposait pas de l’ensemble de la preuve; iii.
Le juge de première instance, se fondant sur une interprétation erronée de la preuve, a estimé à tort que l’entente verbale intervenue entre les parties comportait une clause implicite; iv. Le juge de première instance n’a pas tenu dûment compte des éléments de preuve concernant les dommages- intérêts et a appliqué une norme juridique incorrecte à la demande de Stairs et à la demande reconventionnelle des appelantes. Il en a résulté l’inversion de la charge de la preuve obligeant les appelantes à réfuter la preuve des dommages-intérêts; v.
Le juge de première instance a commis une erreur dans l’interprétation du contrat. V. Norme de contrôle [27] Les appelantes soulèvent cinq moyens et affirment que les trois normes de contrôle sont en jeu : la norme discrétionnaire, la norme de la décision correcte et la norme de l’erreur manifeste et dominante.
[28] La norme discrétionnaire témoigne du degré élevé de déférence que commandent les décisionsdiscrétionnaires. En appel, la Cour ne peut infirmer une décision judiciaire discrétionnaire que si elle est fondée sur une erreur de droit,une erreur dans l’application des principes directeurs ou une erreur manifeste et dominante dans l’évaluation de la preuve : Maisonneuve, Hamelin, Martin Ltd. c.
JWT Campground Inc., [2021] A.N.-B. no 205 (QL) (CA), au par. 45. [29] S’agissant des autres normes, les questions de droit sont susceptibles de contrôle suivant la norme de ladécision correcte, tandis que les questions de fait sont susceptibles de contrôle suivant la norme de l’erreur manifeste et dominante : Vautour et autre c. Sa Majesté la Reine du chef de la Province du Nouveau-Brunswick et autre, 2021 NBCA 4, [2021] A.N.-B. no 18(QL), au par. 31; Housen c.
Nikolaisen, 2002 CSC 33, [2002] 2 R.C.S. 235. [30] Les questions mixtes de fait et de droit sont susceptibles de contrôle suivant la norme de l’erreur manifeste etdominante, à moins qu’il soit possible d’isoler, parmi les éléments mixtes de l’analyse, une question de droit, auquel cas la norme decontrôle est celle de la décision correcte. Par exemple, il devient possible d’isoler une question de droit lorsqu’on a « appliqu[é] lemauvais principe ou néglig[é] un élément essentiel d’un critère juridique ou un facteur pertinent » (voir Sattva Capital Corp. c.
CrestonMoly Corp., 2014 CSC 53, [2014] 2 R.C.S. 633, au par. 53; Algo Enterprises Ltd. c. Repap New Brunswick Inc., 2016 NBCA 35, 450 R.N.-B. (2e) 238, au par. 18; Vautour, au par. 31). [31] Les appelantes soutiennent que les normes de contrôle relatives à chaque moyen d’appel sont les suivantes : a. S’agissant du premier moyen (omission de prononcer l’ajournement) : la norme discrétionnaire. Je suis du même avis; b. S’agissant du deuxième moyen (omission de tenir compte de la preuve) : la norme de l’erreur manifeste et dominante. Je suisdu même avis; c.
S’agissant du troisième moyen (conclusion quant à l’existence d’une clause implicite dans le contrat) : la norme de la décisioncorrecte ou, subsidiairement, celle de l’erreur manifeste et dominante. À mon avis, la norme applicable est celle de l’erreur manifeste etdominante; d. S’agissant du quatrième moyen (inversion de la charge de la preuve) : la norme de la décision correcte. Je suis du même avis; e. S’agissant du cinquième moyen (interprétation incorrecte) : la norme de la décision correcte ou, subsidiairement, celle de l’erreurmanifeste et dominante.
À mon avis, la norme applicable est celle de l’erreur manifeste et dominante. A. Premier moyen : refus de prononcer l’ajournement [32] Avant le procès, les appelantes ont déposé deux motions par lesquelles elles sollicitaient l’ajournement duprocès, alléguant que la situation justifiait un ajournement. Dans l’exercice de son pouvoir discrétionnaire, la juge saisie des motions arefusé de faire droit à la première motion et, après avoir entendu la deuxième, a prononcé un ajournement de sept semaines.
L’audience aété ajournée du 6 juillet 2021 au 25 août 2021. [33] La décision de refuser de prononcer l’ajournement est discrétionnaire. Dans l’arrêt Burtt c. Boyle et al., (2011), (NB CA), 382 R.N.-B. (2e) 206, [2011] A.N.-B. no 471 (QL) (CA), notre Cour a traité d’une motion en ajournementdans un cas où un témoin n’était pas disponible pour témoigner au procès et que les avocats des deux parties avaient estimé qu’il seraitpréférable que le procès soit ajourné.
Le juge d’appel Richard, tel était alors son titre, a écrit : À mon avis, un juge de la Cour d’appel devrait hésiter à s’immiscer dans un processus menant à un procès devant la Cour du Banc de laReine et il y a de solides raisons de principe à cela. Il n’appartient pas à la Cour d’appel de superviser chaque étape du processusd’instruction. On en trouve la confirmation dans l’existence d’une norme de révision des décisions d’ordre discrétionnaire qui, comme je
l’ai dit, est marquée par la déférence. [par. 16] [34] Selon Stairs, si les appelantes n’étaient pas satisfaites des décisions rendues relativement à l’une ou l’autre de leurs motions en ajournement, elles devaient déposer une motion en autorisation d’appel. À mon avis, on ne saurait affirmer que les appelantes devaient solliciter l’autorisation d’interjeter appel.
Bien que les décisions de la juge saisie des motions, d’abord, de rejeter la motion le 30 juin 2020, puis, d’accorder un ajournement de sept semaines le 6 juillet 2022, aient été interlocutoires puisqu’elles n’établissaient pas définitivement ou de façon substantielle les droits des parties, les appelantes n’étaient pas tenues de solliciter l’autorisation d’interjeter appel à ce moment-là. Il leur était loisible d’attendre de recevoir la décision de première instance. Je ne me prononce pas sur la question de savoir si, dans certains cas, la Cour pourrait reprocher à une
partie de ne pas avoir sollicité l’autorisation d’interjeter appel d’une décision interlocutoire. Il n’en demeure pas moins que le seuil qu’il faut franchir pour obtenir l’autorisation est élevé et qu’il peut y avoir de nombreuses raisons expliquant pourquoi on ne solliciterait pas l’autorisation, mais qu’on attendrait plutôt la fin du procès pour soulever une question particulière. De toute évidence, que l’on demande l’autorisation d’interjeter appel d’une décision refusant un ajournement ou que la question soit soulevée en appel après le procès, la norme de contrôle demeure la même.
Une telle décision découle de l’exercice d’un pouvoir discrétionnaire et ne sera infirmée en appel que si elle était « fondée sur une erreur de droit, une erreur dans l’application des principes directeurs ou une erreur manifeste et dominante dans l’appréciation de la preuve » : La Beaverbrook Canadian Foundation c. La Galerie d’art Beaverbrook , 2006 NBCA 75 , 302 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 161 , au par. 4 . [35] À mon avis, la juge saisie des motions n’a pas commis d’erreur qui justifierait une intervention en appel dans ses décisions relatives aux demandes d’ajournement.
Bien que les appelantes soutiennent que Louis Bertrand était leur témoin clé et qu’il n’était pas disponible pour témoigner en raison de problèmes médicaux, dans la décision relative à la première motion en ajournement, la juge a fait remarquer qu’une preuve suffisante ne lui avait pas été présentée pour établir que le témoin ne pouvait pas témoigner ( 2020 NBBR 141 , [2020] A.N.-B. n o 198 (QL) , au par. 3 ), aucun affidavit du témoin ni d’un fournisseur de soins de santé traitant n’ayant été déposé.
La juge saisie des motions a déclaré qu’il n’y avait aucune preuve au dossier au sujet du [TRADUCTION] « problème » de Louis Bertrand ou de son [TRADUCTION] « traitement », de la question de savoir [TRADUCTION] « quand il ira mieux », de [TRADUCTION] « son problème », de la question de savoir [TRADUCTION] « depuis combien de temps cela durait ». Dès lors, la juge saisie des motions a estimé qu’elle ne disposait pas de la preuve nécessaire pour justifier l’octroi d’un ajournement plus long sur le fondement de la prétendue incapacité de Louis Bertrand de témoigner au procès.
Cela relevait de son pouvoir discrétionnaire, tout comme il relevait également de son pouvoir discrétionnaire de prononcer un ajournement de sept semaines après l’audition de la deuxième motion en ajournement. [36] En l’espèce, la juge saisie des motions, dans sa décision orale du 6 juillet 2020, a déclaré : [TRADUCTION] Une semaine avant la tenue du procès, les défenderesses ont présenté une motion en ajournement qui a été rejetée. Cette demande d’ajournement antérieure reposait sur l’incapacité d’un témoin clé, pour des raisons de santé, de participer à la préparation du procès et de témoigner.
Cette motion a été rejetée parce que la preuve produite était tout simplement insuffisante pour démontrer l’existence des problèmes de santé empêchant le témoin de participer au processus judiciaire. Les défenderesses n’avaient produit d’affidavit ni du témoin en cause ni d’un professionnel de la santé traitant.
Le seul élément de preuve présenté à l’appui de la motion était un affidavit du président de la société expliquant que le témoin subirait une atteinte s’il était forcé de témoigner, auquel affidavit était joint un très bref avis médical rédigé par une psychologue. [...] L’octroi d’un ajournement relève du pouvoir discrétionnaire de la Cour. Dans l’exercice de ce pouvoir, la Cour est consciente qu’il lui faut mettre en balance le préjudice causé, d’un côté, à la
partie qui est prête et disposée à aller de l’avant, de l’autre côté, à la
partie qui sollicite l’ajournement parce qu’elle n’a pu pleinement se préparer. En l’espèce, j’ai déjà rejeté une demande d’ajournement en sachant que la perte d’un témoin clé rendrait plus difficile pour la
partie défenderesse de préparer sa cause. Conjuguée à cette difficulté, la signification tardive des documents que les défenderesses comptent maintenant utiliser pour contester les revendications de la demanderesse fait pencher la balance en faveur des défenderesses. On m’a convaincue que le préjudice pouvant être subi par la
partie défenderesse si elle devait procéder ce matin l’emporte sur le préjudice causé à la demanderesse par l’octroi d’un bref ajournement. Toutefois, je ne suis pas disposée à ajourner l’affaire jusqu’en 2021, comme les défenderesses l’ont demandé pour assurer la participation de leur témoin non disponible en ce moment. Les défenderesses n’ont présenté aucune preuve, dans le cadre de l’une ou l’autre motion en ajournement, démontrant la nécessité de reporter le procès en 2021. Fixer le plus tôt possible les nouvelles dates d’audience est la meilleure façon de limiter le préjudice causé à la demanderesse.
La motion des défenderesses en ajournement du procès est accueillie, en vertu de la règle 54.02, les dépens devant suivre l’issue de la cause. Le procès se déroulera les 25, 26 et 27 août 2020. [par. 11, 13 et 14]
[37] La décision de la juge saisie des motions ne renferme rien qui constituerait une erreur du type qui justifieraitl’intervention en appel par application de la norme de contrôle pertinente. Il est évident qu’elle a compris et pris en considération leseffets de l’incapacité de Louis Bertrand de témoigner. Je rejetterais ce moyen d’appel. B.
Deuxième moyen : omission de tenir dûment compte de la déposition de Louis Bertrand à l’interrogatoire préalable [38] Compte tenu des décisions de la juge relatives aux demandes d’ajournement et de la non-disponibilitéostensible du témoin, du consentement des deux parties, la déposition de l’interrogatoire préalable de Louis Bertrand a été utilisée auprocès. [39] Les deux parties conviennent que les tribunaux doivent tenir compte des circonstances de la conclusion d’uncontrat lorsqu’ils l’interprètent. Dans l’arrêt Sattva Capital Corp. c.
Creston Moly Corp., 2014 CSC 53, [2014] 2 R.C.S. 633, la Coursuprême a écrit que l’interprétation d’un contrat est, de par sa nature, axée sur les faits : La tendance à délaisser l’approche historique au Canada semble s’expliquer par deux changements. Le premier est l’adoption d’uneméthode d’interprétation contractuelle qui oblige le tribunal à tenir compte des circonstances — que l’on appelle souvent le fondement factuel — dans l’interprétation d’un contrat écrit (Hall, p. 13, 21-25 et 127; J. D. McCamus, The Law of Contracts (2e éd. 2012),p. 749-751).
Le deuxième découle des explications formulées dans les arrêts Canada (Directeur des enquêtes et recherches) c.Southam Inc., (CSC), [1997] 1 R.C.S. 748, par. 35, et Housen c. Nikolaisen, 2002 CSC 33, [2002] 2 R.C.S. 235, par. 26et 31-36, sur ce qui distingue la question de droit de la question mixte de fait et de droit. Relativement au premier changement, l’interprétation des contrats a évolué vers une démarche pratique, axée sur le bon sens plutôt quesur des règles de forme en matière d’interprétation.
La question prédominante consiste à discerner « l’intention des parties et la portée del’entente » (Jesuit Fathers of Upper Canada c. Cie d’assurance Guardian du Canada, 2006 CSC 21, [2006] 1 R.C.S. 744, par. 27, lejuge LeBel; voir aussi Tercon Contractors Ltd. c. Colombie-Britannique (Transports et Voirie), 2010 CSC 4, [2010] 1 R.C.S. 69,par. 64-65, le juge Cromwell).
Pour ce faire, le décideur doit interpréter le contrat dans son ensemble, en donnant aux mots y figurant lesens ordinaire et grammatical qui s’harmonise avec les circonstances dont les parties avaient connaissance au moment de la conclusiondu contrat.
Par l’examen des circonstances, on reconnaît qu’il peut être difficile de déterminer l’intention contractuelle à partir des seulsmots, car les mots en soi n’ont pas un sens immuable ou absolu : [TRADUCTION] Aucun contrat n’est conclu dans l’abstrait : les contrats s’inscrivent toujours dans un contexte. [. . .] Lorsqu’un contratcommercial est en cause, le tribunal devrait certes connaître son objet sur le plan commercial, ce qui présuppose d’autre part uneconnaissance de l’origine de l’opération, de l’historique, du contexte, du marché dans lequel les parties exercent leurs activités. (Reardon Smith Line, p. 574, le lord Wilberforce).
Le sens des mots est souvent déterminé par un certain nombre de facteurs contextuels, y compris l’objet de l’entente et la nature desrapports créés par celle-ci (voir Moore Realty Inc. c. Manitoba Motor League, 2003 MBCA 71, 173 Man. R. (2d) 300, par. 15, la jugeHamilton; voir aussi Hall, p. 22; McCamus, p. 749-750). Pour reprendre les propos du lord Hoffmann dans Investors CompensationScheme Ltd. c.
West Bromwich Building Society, [1998] 1 All E.R. 98 (H.L.) : [TRADUCTION] Le sens d’un document (ou toute autre déclaration) qui est transmis à la personne raisonnable n’équivaut pas au sensdes mots qui le composent.
Le sens des mots fait intervenir les dictionnaires et les grammaires; le sens du document représente ce qu’ilest raisonnable de croire que les parties, en employant ces mots compte tenu du contexte pertinent, ont voulu exprimer. [p. 115] [...] Certes, cette mise en garde a été formulée dans le contexte d’une action pour négligence, mais elle s’applique également à mon avis àl’interprétation contractuelle. Comme je le mentionne précédemment, le but de l’interprétation contractuelle — déterminer l’intentionobjective des parties — est, de par sa nature même, axé sur les faits.
Le rapport étroit qui existe entre, d’une part, le choix et l’applicationdes principes d’interprétation contractuelle et, d’autre part, l’interprétation que recevra l’instrument juridique en dernière analyse fait ensorte que rares seront les cas où il sera possible de dégager une question de droit de l’exercice d’interprétation. En l’absence d’une erreur
de droit du genre de celles décrites plus haut, aucun droit d’appel de l’interprétation par un arbitre d’un contrat n’est prévu à l’ AA . [par. 46 à 48 et 55]. [40] Les appelantes soutiennent que le juge de première instance a [TRADUCTION] « largement ignoré » le témoignage de Louis Bertrand et n’a fait référence qu’aux éléments de preuve qui étaient compatibles avec le témoignage que Randy Stairs a fait au procès. [41] Selon les appelantes, le juge de première instance n’avait à sa disposition que la déposition de l’interrogatoire préalable de Louis Bertrand qu’il a apprécié au regard du témoignage que Randy Stairs a fait au procès.
Les appelantes affirment que le juge de première instance a privilégié le témoignage de Randy Stairs sur essentiellement toutes les questions importantes, notamment : (1) l’approbation [TRADUCTION] « non verbale » de Louis Bertrand du prix; et (2) les contextes différents du devis de 2017 et de l’entente de 2018. [42] Les appelantes soutiennent que le juge de première instance n’a pas tenu compte du témoignage de Louis Bertrand sur tous les points pertinents et a privilégié celui de Randy Stairs sans entreprendre une évaluation de la crédibilité de Louis Bertrand.
Selon les appelantes, étant donné que l’ajournement n’a pas été accordé et que le témoin clé n’a pas pu témoigner, le juge de première instance aurait dû fournir des motifs convaincants et détaillés pour rejeter le témoignage de Louis Bertrand. Les appelantes affirment que, selon la preuve, Randy Stairs avait garanti un prix maximum de 90 000 $, qu’il n’avait proposé 12,50 $ la tonne de sol supplémentaire qu’après avoir facturé 90 000 $ et qu’il avait renoncé à l’exclusion relative au terrain instable parce qu’il avait affaire à un sol sur lequel il avait travaillé en 2012.
Les appelantes affirment que le juge de première instance n’a analysé aucun des éléments de preuve apportés par M. Bertrand qui étaient contraires à la position de Stairs. Par conséquent, la décision ne commande aucune déférence et est entachée d’une erreur manifeste et dominante. [43] L’examen du dossier n’indique pas que le juge de première instance a omis d’analyser comme il le devait la preuve dont il disposait. À mon avis, il a fourni une analyse détaillée de tous ces éléments de preuve.
Dans les circonstances, la déposition de l’interrogatoire préalable de Louis Bertrand constituait la seule preuve apportée par ce dernier susceptible d’être prise en considération. L’acceptation par le juge de certains éléments de preuve plutôt que d’autres soulève une question de fait et doit faire l’objet d’un contrôle suivant la norme de l’erreur manifeste et dominante. [44] Les appelantes font également valoir que la décision du juge de première instance est susceptible de contrôle suivant la norme de la décision correcte, le juge ayant omis de respecter la règle énoncée dans l’arrêt Browne c.
Dunn lorsqu’il a privilégié le témoignage de Stairs à celui des appelantes sans avoir eu l’avantage d’entendre le témoignage direct de Louis Bertrand. En toute déférence, je ne suis pas du même avis. Rappelons que les parties ont convenu de verser la déposition de l’interrogatoire préalable de Louis Bertrand au dossier au début du procès. [45] La règle énoncée dans l’arrêt Browne c. Dunn , [1893] J.C.J. No. 5 (QL), n’est pas applicable. Les appelantes invoquent l’ arrêt Shephard c. R. , 2019 NBCA 76 , [2019] A.N.-B. n o 313 (QL) . À mon avis, la présente affaire se distingue de l’ affaire Shephard .
Louis Bertrand n’a pas témoigné au procès. Les parties ont convenu d’utiliser la déposition de son interrogatoire préalable. À aucun moment durant le témoignage de Randy Stairs au procès, l’avocat des appelantes ne s’est opposé à aucune de ses déclarations au sujet de ses discussions avec Louis Bertrand pendant son interrogatoire principal. Je rejetterais ce moyen d’appel. C. Troisième moyen : clause contractuelle implicite [46] Les appelantes soutiennent que le contrat intervenu entre les parties était un contrat à prix fixe et que le prix couvrait l’excavation et l’enlèvement du terrain instable.
Elles soutiennent que le juge de première instance a conclu que le contrat intervenu entre les parties comportait une clause implicite, permettant à Stairs de réclamer un montant supplémentaire pour l’enlèvement et le remplacement du terrain instable. [47] Des clauses implicites peuvent être introduites dans un contrat sur le fondement de l’existence : (1) de la coutume ou de l’usage; (2) en tant que particularités juridiques d’une catégorie ou d’un type particuliers de contrats; ou (3) « “d’une intention présumée des parties, soit la condition implicite dont l’introduction est nécessaire pour donner à un contrat de l’efficacité commerciale ou pour permettre de quelque autre manière de satisfaire au critère de ‘l’observateur objectif’, [condition] dont les parties diraient, si on leur posait la question, qu’elles avaient évidemment tenu son inclusion pour acquise” » : Briggs c.
Fermes Semences Desjardins Seed Farms Ltd./Ltée , 2019 NBCA 2 , [2019] A.N.-B. n o 2 (QL) , au par. 16 .
[48] Les appelantes soutiennent que le juge de première instance n’a pas appliqué ces principes correctement et qu’il a commis une erreur de droit en concluant que l’exclusion du terrain instable faisait implicitement
partie de l’entente de 2018. À
titre subsidiaire, les appelantes affirment que le juge de première instance a commis une erreur manifeste et dominante en ne tenant pas compte du témoignage présenté par Louis Bertrand affirmant le contraire. Je ne suis pas du même avis. Le juge de première instance a conclu que la clause d’exclusion qui faisait
partie du devis de 2017 faisait
partie du contrat intervenu entre les parties; il n’était donc pas nécessaire d’introduire une telle clause implicite. Elle existait déjà. [49] Sonny Phillips a été déclaré expert en matière de gestion de projets de construction et de marchés de travaux de construction. Il a été entendu comme témoin pour Stairs. M. Phillips a déclaré qu’il est de pratique courante dans l’industrie de considérer qu’une clause d’exclusion relative à l’enlèvement et au remplacement du terrain instable fait implicitement
partie du contrat entre les parties lorsque l’entrepreneur ne dispose pas d’un rapport géotechnique. Agir autrement ferait courir un risque inconnu à l’entrepreneur puisque la présence et la quantité de terrain instable seraient inconnues (décision de première instance, par. 69).
Cela dissuaderait les entrepreneurs d’accepter un contrat à prix fixe en l’absence d’un rapport géotechnique. [50] Le juge de première instance a conclu que, compte tenu de la connaissance qu’avait Stairs du bien et en particulier du fait que celui-ci comportait du terrain instable, la clause d’exclusion contenue dans le devis de 2017 était très importante pour Stairs Building (par. 68).
De plus, le juge a conclu qu’il ne serait pas raisonnable pour Stairs de s’engager dans un contrat à prix fixe alors qu’elle était au courant de la présence de terrain instable sur le bien (par. 72). [51] Le juge de première instance a estimé que la clause d’exclusion contenue dans le devis de 2017 faisait
partie du contrat intervenu entre les parties et a donc conclu que Stairs n’avait pas accepté un contrat à prix fixe, ce que prétendaient les appelantes.
La pratique au sein de l’industrie voulant qu’une clause d’exclusion soit implicitement introduite dans un contrat en l’absence d’un rapport géotechnique pour l’entrepreneur était une preuve supplémentaire appuyant le fait que Stairs n’aurait pas accepté un contrat à prix fixe dans les circonstances (par. 65 et 69). [52] Stairs soutient que le juge de première instance n’a pas introduit une clause d’exclusion dans le contrat intervenu entre les parties, car Stairs avait déjà exclu l’excavation et l’enlèvement du terrain instable dans son devis écrit de 2017, qui, selon le juge de première instance, faisait
partie du contrat intervenu entre les parties (par. 65). [53] Le contrat prévoyait clairement une augmentation potentielle du prix dans l’éventualité où le terrain serait instable. Cela n’est pas contesté et le juge a interprété la preuve en conséquence. [54] Les appelantes font valoir qu’il s’agissait d’un contrat à prix fixe (prix garanti) et que la clause du contrat relative à l’exclusion dans l’éventualité où le terrain serait instable doit être écartée parce que Louis Bertrand n’a accepté aucune augmentation dans le coût. Je ne souscris pas à cette prétention