2023 NBCA 26, 2023 NBCA 26
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK A.M. APPELLANT 101-22-CA A.M. APPELANTE - and - - et - E.T. RESPONDENT E.T. INTIMÉ A.M. v. E.T., 2023 NBCA 26 A.M. c.
E.T., 2023 NBCA 26 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Green The Honourable Justice Baird The Honourable Justice French CORAM : l’honorable juge Green l’honorable juge Baird l’honorable juge French Appeal from a decision of the Court of King’s Bench: September 21, 2022 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc du Roi : le 21 septembre 2022 History of case: Decision under appeal: Unreported Preliminary or incidental proceedings: [2022] N.B.J. No. 278 Historique de la cause : Décision frappée d’appel : inédite Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : [2022] A.N.-B. n o 278
Appeal heard: February 21, 2023 Judgment rendered: May 10, 2023 Appel entendu : le 21 février 2023 Jugement rendu : le 10 mai 2023 Reasons for judgment: The Honourable Justice Baird Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Green The Honourable Justice French Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: Ben Reentovich E.T. on his own behalf Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge Baird Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Green l’honorable juge French Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appelante : Ben Reentovich E.T. en son propre nom THE COURT The appeal is allowed.
The issue of supervised parenting time is referred back to the judge for review. The stay of the existing order shall remain in effect pending a further disposition. There is no order with respect to costs. LA COUR L’appel est accueilli. La question du temps de parentage surveillé est renvoyée au juge pour examen. La suspension de l’ordonnance existante demeurera en vigueur jusqu’à ce qu’une autre décision soit rendue. Aucuns dépens ne sont adjugés. The judgment of the Court was delivered by BAIRD, J.A. I. Introduction
[ 1 ] This appeal requires the Court to consider whether a judge erred in principle when, under the Family Law Act , S.N.B. 2020, c. 23 (the “ Act ”), he imposed a supervised parenting order that automatically expired in 60 days, without requiring a review hearing to determine whether the respondent posed a continuing threat to two young children. II. Background [ 2 ] The parents separated in 2018. There are three children of the relationship, the oldest being 16.
The two younger children, aged nine and seven years, are the subjects of the existing court order. [ 3 ] In January 2020, the parents signed a final consent order which detailed their parenting arrangements. In that order, the father was granted parenting time with the children on alternate weekends from Friday at 6 p.m., until Sunday at 6 p.m. [ 4 ] In May 2022, the mother sought refuge in a woman’s shelter, alleging abuse by the father during one of his visits. She applied for, and received, a 90-day Emergency Intervention Order (“EIO”), which was later confirmed by a judge.
The father filed a motion to vary the EIO. In reply, the mother filed a motion to vary the final order, attaching an affidavit in which she chronicled various incidents of erratic behaviour on the part of the father. She deposed that, on April 29, 2022, the father threatened to kill himself in the “most gruesome, most painful, most messy and bloody and most slowest way possible,” and that he blamed the mother for his decision. At an interim hearing on June 29, 2022, the parents consented to a supervised parenting order. [ 5 ] The motion to vary the final order was heard on September 13, 2022.
In her affidavit, the mother had provided details concerning the father’s inconsistent compliance with his diabetic medication, and she described his “diabetic” rages, during which he threatened the children with gun violence. She stated the father, to the best of her knowledge, had not sought professional help for his issues and, in her opinion, he “may have undiagnosed mental health issues.” [ 6 ] On September 21, 2022, the judge varied the final consent order.
He noted the mother’s concern about the father’s inability to care for the children, one of whom is autistic, and the other of whom suffers from attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.
He accepted the mother’s affidavit evidence, in which she described the father’s physical lack of control, that included breaking “things,” slamming doors, throwing items around and engaging in road rage. [ 7 ] The judge granted the father supervised parenting time for a weekly two-hour visit, to be supervised by a designated agency, until September 24, 2022, at which point, the father would have parenting time on alternate weekends on Saturday, from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m., and on Sunday, from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m., to be supervised by the mother’s mother (the maternal grandmother). [ 8 ] The judge then imposed the following: 2.
This order shall remain in full force and effect for a period of 60 days, or until further order of this court. […] 4.
After the expiration of 60 days, the terms and conditions in the Final Order on Consent shall remain in full force and effect, subject to one and /or both of the parties establishing a material change in circumstances and that it would be in the best interests of the children to vary the Final Order on Consent. […] [ 9 ] The mother filed a Notice of Appeal on October 6, 2022, and successfully obtained a stay of execution from this Court, with respect to the above clauses, pending the disposition of her appeal.
[ 10 ] It is the automatic termination of the supervised parenting order the mother appeals. She argues that, at the very least, the judge should have required the father to provide proof to the court that he was safely able to parent the children, prior to unconditionally terminating the supervised parenting order. III. Grounds of Appeal [ 11 ] The lengthy Notice of Appeal can be reduced to the following issues, as acknowledged by the mother in her written submission. She asserts: (
a) The judge erred in principle when he arbitrarily fixed a termination date for supervised parenting time without offering an evidentiary basis for doing so; (
b) The termination date precluded meaningful appellate review as a result; and (
c) The judge erred in principle because the order, in effect, placed a reverse onus on the mother to file a motion to change under s. 50(4) of the Act . [ 12 ] For the reasons that follow, I would allow the appeal on grounds (
a) and (b). The mother’s counsel acknowledged that those grounds are interrelated. The following analysis has been done on that basis. It is not necessary, therefore, to address the third ground. IV. Standard of Review [ 13 ] It is settled law that the standard of review in custody and access cases is one of deference, in the absence of a finding of an error in principle, or in law, or a palpable and overriding error in the treatment of the facts by the judge (see C.M.H. v. J.R.H ., 2012 NBCA 71 , 393 N.B.R. (2d) 154 , at paras. 8-9 ; B.C. v. M.S. , 2015 NBCA 46 , 438 N.B.R. (2d) 155 , at paras. 5-6 ; J.H. v.
T.H. , 2017 NBCA 7 , [2017] N.B.J. No. 16 (QL) ). V. Analysis A. The judge’s decision to terminate supervised parenting time after 60 days and whether meaningful appellate review was precluded [ 14 ] When the judge finished his best interests of the children analysis, he decided the supervised parenting order would terminate in 60 days, as noted. The mother submits the judge’s decision to impose an unconditional deadline for supervised access was a “misapplication of the law.” [ 15 ]
Section 52 of the Act describes the types of parenting orders that may be made on a definite or indefinite basis ( s. 52(5) ). Section 52(4) (
f) allows for the issuance of a supervisory parenting order. Section 52(6) specifically authorizes the variation or discharge of a parenting order if it is grounded in material change: J.A.D. v. L.D.D. , 2010 NBCA 69 , 364 N.B.R. (2d) 200 . On the issue of material change, the judge made the following statements: To be clear, the material change here is not the ongoing heartache felt by the Father. The material change in [these] circumstances is the existence of family violence that has reached an unforeseen level of concern recently, along with the Father’s own recent admissions of wanting to take his own life.
In this case, the Mother’s explanation and recollection of the recent events, especially in May 2022 and indeed, since the Final Order wasexecuted, that establish a material change in circumstances were not denied by the Father. In other words, the Father has not stated, forexample, that these events never happened in any evidence submitted to the Court. In this case, it is hard to fathom that the family violence and threats of suicide by the Father, in front of the Mother and the children, havenot affected the children.
It is difficult to conceive of any scenario where family violence is in the best interests of the children. On theimpact of how the children have been affected, I accept the evidence in the Mother’s Affidavit. The Mother’s concerns were seriousenough to her to compel her to recently leave the home and stay in a shelter with the children for a month. [...] In
summary, I am satisfied that the Father’s ability to meet the needs of the children has changed. This has materially affected thechildren, and the father’s ability to meet their needs, in a manner not contemplated or foreseen at the time the Final Order was executedon January 20, 2020. I therefore find that there has been a material change in the circumstances of this case. [...] First, ongoing supervised parenting time will continue to ensure the safety of the children, at least in the short term, in the uniquecircumstances of this case.
Their safety was, and remains, an ongoing concern based on the evidence of family violence submitted to theCourt. [...] [paras. 23-25, 27 and 38] [16] Because the judge accepted the threshold of material change had been met, he was required to then move to ananalysis of the best interests of the children, which he did; however, it is my opinion his failure to explain how his order met their bestinterests was an error in principle.
There is nothing in his reasons to explain why he decided supervised parenting time shouldautomatically terminate after 60 days, and, in my view, the order was arbitrary. [17] In his reasons, the judge referred to McIllwraith v. MacGougan, 2003 NBQB 169, [2003] N.B.J. No. 159 (QL),where the court wrote: It is apparent to me that because the Applicant failed to have a home study completed that this whole matter became sidetracked.Supervised access is meant to be temporary. It is inappropriate for supervised access to be used because of a dispute between parents. Inmy view that is what occurred in this case.
I draw attention to the reasoning of Abella J.A. in M. (B.P.) v. M. (B.L.D.E.), (ON CA), 1992 Carswell Ont. 295 (CA): 33. The purpose of supervised access, far from being a permanent feature of a child’s life, is to provide “a temporary and time-limitedmeasure designed to resolve a parental impasse over access. It should not be used ... as a long-term remedy”: Norris Weisman, “OnAccess after Parental Separation” (1992) 36 R.F.L. (3d) 25, at p. 74. Yet no other form of access is even thinkable for this child.
In theabsence of any, let alone a significant demonstrable benefit to the child, and based on the solid evidence of four years of harassing,insensitive, disruptive, and harmful behaviour from the father, Wright J. made no error in terminating access by the father to the childbased on the material reflected in the child’s stress. 34. It is not a question of what standard should be used to deprive a parent of access, it is a question of what standard should be used indeciding what form of access, if any, should be ordered.
The answer is clear from the statute: the standard is the child’s best interests.(See, also, Craig v. Antone, a judgment of the Ontario Provincial Court (Family Division), released April 9, 1987, per Vogelsang Prov. J.[reported at (ON CJ), 7 R.F.L. (3d) 409]; Lusher v. Lusher, a judgment of the Ontario Provincial Court (FamilyDivision), released February 29, 1988, per Main Prov. J. [reported at (ON CJ), 13 R.F.L. (3d) 201]). [para. 24] [18] In Gordon v. Goertz, (SCC), [1996] 2 S.C.R. 27, [1996] S.C.J.
No. 52 (QL), La Forest andL’Heureux-Dubé JJ., in concurring reasons, wrote that the desirability of maintaining maximum contact between a child and his or her
parents is an important factor, but a court must also balance other considerations, such as the child’s physical, emotional, social andeconomic needs in light of the quality of the relationship he or she has with both parents, their ability to care for the child and, where thechild is old enough and mature enough, his or her wishes and preferences (para. 120). LaVigne J.A., in M.A.(L.)B. v. T.J.L., 2021 NBCA5, 2021 N.B.J. No. 24 (QL), describes the consideration of this principle as “mandatory” (para. 56); however, as McLachlin J., laterC.J.C., stated in Gordon, it is not “absolute” (para. 24). See also R.J. v.
P.J., 2021 NBCA 28, [2021] N.B.J. No. 145 (QL). [19] The judge acknowledged he was required to conduct the two-part analysis and he discussed the mother’sevidence concerning family violence.
He then went on to state: [...] It is difficult to conceive of any scenario where family violence is in the best interests of the children, On the impact of how thechildren have been affected, I accept the evidence of the Mother’s Affidavit. [...] [para. 25] [20] In my view, it appears the judge then mistakenly concluded that supervised parenting time should be limited toshort periods of time in all cases and regardless of the circumstances. The judge correctly observed that, historically, courts have beenreluctant to issue supervised access orders for extended periods of time (see K.M.E. v. D.M.Z., [1996] B.C.J.
No. 464 (QL); V.S.J. v.L.J.G., (ON SC), [2004] O.J. No. 2238 (QL); A.L. v. G.L., 2005 NSSC 256, [2005] N.S.J. No. 368 (QL)). However,when there is a finding of risk to the health and safety of a child, as there was in this case, the best interests of that child, may require along-term supervised order. [21] In V.S.J., Blishen J. concluded: There may be occasions, however, where medium or longer term supervised access is in the child’s best interests.
Professor MarthaBailey of the Faculty of Law at Queen’s University questions what she considers to be the doctrinaire approach which assumes that longterm supervised access is not in the best interests of the child and notes that this approach may undermine the child’s right to maintainpersonal contact with the parent except where contrary to the child’s best interests.
In her article, “Supervised Access: A Long TermSolution?” 37 Family and Conciliation Courts Rev. 478 (October 1999), she states the following at p. 480: The issue of whether long term supervised access is in the best interests of the child must be determined on a case by case basis, takinginto consideration all circumstances relevant to the best interests of the child. The question then is whether there are any circumstancesunder which long term supervised access will be in the best interests of the child, even where unsupervised access is not a future option.
In my view, supervised access, whether short, medium or long term, should always be considered as an alternative to a completetermination of the parent/child relationship. Clearly, if there has been an attempt at supervised access which has proven unworkable, suchas where the child remains hostile to the father during the visits; the child reacts badly after visits; or, where the access parent continuallymisses visits or is inappropriate during the access then termination must be considered. See Studley v. O’Laughlin, supra; Worthington v.Worthington (2000), (ON SC), 13 R.F.L. (5th) 220 (Ont.Sup.Ct.); Lacaille v.
Manger 1994 CarswellOnt 2089; Dixonv. Hinsley, supra. If the purpose of supervised access is for the access parent to attend treatment or counselling and there is a refusal orunwillingness to follow through, then, to continue supervised access may not be viable option. See Pavao v. Pavao, supra; Gorgichuk v.Gorgichuk, supra. [paras. 139-140] [22] In B.P. v. A.T., 2014 NBCA 51, 423 N.B.R. (2d) 99, Larlee J.A. dismissed the appeal of a trial judge’s decisionto order supervised access on a continuing basis in a high conflict separation where two psychological reports had been filed.
She wrote: In coming to his decision with respect to supervised access, the trial judge considered the two psychological reports. He viewed each tobe a piece of the puzzle. Robert Doucet’s report is broader based than that of Mr. Galarneau and deals generally with parenting abilityand issues of that nature. The trial judge recognized, that according to the Doucet report, there is no real danger of the appellant abusinghis daughter. But Mr.
Doucet suggested, and the trial judge evidently accepted his recommendation, that there should be supervisedvisits until the appellant’s treating therapist considered there was no risk. […]
Relying on this evidence, the trial judge recognized that, even though the risk of the appellant offending is low, it is nevertheless appropriate to put in place a safety plan for the children. He was therefore convinced that supervision of access had to be ordered as a cautionary measure. […] Overall, the judge undertook a thorough analysis of the “best interests of the child” and provided a reasoned decision for granting the custody and access order. In P.R.H. v. M.E.L. , at para. 10, we cited Van de Perre v.
Edwards , 2001 SCC 60 , [2001] 2 S.C.R. 1014 , and held that in preparing reasons in custody cases, a trial judge is expected to consider all relevant factors, but it would be unreasonable to require a judge to discuss every piece of evidence in his or her reasons. The trial judge here devoted a large segment of his written reasons to the question of supervised access. He recognized that supervised access was not the ideal situation for a father and child (para. 317) and that it is in the “best interests of the child” to maintain and foster a meaningful relationship with both parents (para. 318).
He acknowledged that both parents are loving parents and have a tremendous amount to contribute to the long-term welfare of their daughter (para. 329). With respect to the supervised access order, I am in agreement with the carefully considered reasons of the trial judge. He relied on the evidence and made a determination with respect to the “best interests of the child”. He came to the conclusion that supervised access was necessary as a precautionary measure.
Despite the appellant’s able arguments with respect to the lack of analysis regarding the “best interests of the child” criteria, the delegation of the decision to an expert, the reliance on stale evidence and the burden of proof, in my view, the trial judge did not make any reviewable error. This ground of appeal must fail. [Emphasis added; paras. 15, 17, 19-20] [ 23 ] In M.P. v. M.P. , 2020 ONSC 4559 , [2020] O.J. No. 4645 (QL) , Doi J. was faced with a motion to remove supervised access to a mother who had experienced psychiatric problems.
The judge was satisfied the mother had not addressed the issues or concerns that formed the basis for the supervised access order. In the interim, there was a plan for a graduated return to unsupervised access over six months, provided the mother obtained a forensic psychiatric assessment confirming her capacity to parent without supervision. Notably, the court retained jurisdiction over the access issues for a period of 18 months from the date of release of the reasons, so the parties could return to the court in the event of a dispute. [ 24 ] In Kohli v. Thom , 2021 ONSC 927 , [2021] O.J.
No. 568 (QL) , there were allegations of domestic violence. Following the separation in 2019, the father had 12 hours weekly of supervised access with the child. In 2021, he brought a motion for unsupervised access. The mother alleged the father had expressed murder-suicide ideations. The father provided a favourable report from his counsellor. In addition, he had exercised 150 successful supervised visits with the child. The court ordered a gradual transition from supervised visits to unsupervised visits in that case. [ 25 ] In A.C.V.P. v. A.M.P. , 2022 ONCA 283 , [2022] O.J.
No. 1663 (QL) , per Coroza J.A., the mother appealed a trial judge’s order requiring that her access with the children be supervised. Neither party had requested an assessment under the Children’s Law Reform Act , R.S.O. 1990, c. C.12 ; however, the judge directed the mother to arrange for a psychiatric assessment within thirty days of his reasons, with a view the assessment would be provided to the court for review of the supervised order. Coroza J.A. upheld the judge’s decision to order, on his own motion, an assessment of the mother, relying on M.B.A.Y. v. J.Y. , 2013 ONSC 4423 , [2013] O.J.
No. 3309 (QL) ; V.S.J. ; Merkand v. Merkand , [2006] O.J. No. 528 (QL) , leave to appeal to S.C.C. refused, [2006] S.C.C.A. No. 117; and Kucan v. Santos , 2017 ONSC 6725 , [2017] O.J. No. 6011 (QL) . He concluded that such a report was “undeniably important” for the judge to have the most current information (para. 32). In the end, he decided the proper avenue was for the mother to pursue a further motion before the Superior Court of Justice to change the supervised access order, following the completion of the assessment. [ 26 ] In J.H. v. N.M. , 2022 NBQB 136 , [2022] N.B.J.
No. 145 (QL) , the parties had executed a separation agreement which provided for joint legal and shared custody of the children. This was described as a high-conflict relationship with eleven different court orders having issued between 2018 and 2022. Because of an attempt by the mother to remove the youngest child from New Brunswick, a motion was heard on an abridged basis in 2018, and the father was granted sole custody of the four children. The mother’s access was ordered to be supervised “at the father’s discretion.” [ 27 ] From the above jurisprudence, the following guiding principles emerge:
a) Supervised access is usually a last resort and will be ordered when a court finds there is a risk of harm to a child that cannot be
addressed in any other satisfactory way (see S.I. v. I.I., 2013 ONSC 2762, [2013] O.J. No. 2163 (QL), at para. 10; T.B. v. A.M., 2002NBQB 349, [2002] N.B.R. (2d) (Supp.) No. 93);
b) The onus is on the parent who seeks to restrict the other parent’s access to demonstrate why that parent’s access should besupervised: V.K. v. A.K., 2018 ONSC 7290, [2018] O.J. No. 6818 (QL), at para. 43;
c) A child’s right to have a meaningful relationship with both parents should be interfered with only in those cases where the court issatisfied there is a danger to the child’s physical or mental well-being should unsupervised access be granted: Hameed v. Hameed, 2006ONCJ 274, [2006] O.J. No. 3109 (QL), at para. 22;
d) The best interests of the child test includes not simply the right to be free of demonstrable harm; it acknowledges that a child hasthe right to the best possible arrangements in the circumstances of the parties. Determining what is in a child’s best interests “is not acheckbox/total score type of assessment” (R.J. v. P.J., 2021 NBCA 28, [2021] N.B.J. No. 145 (QL), at para. 20). It is an “open-ended”inquiry requiring a weighing and balancing of factors (M.L.B. v. W.R.P., 2019 NBCA 63, [2019] N.B.J. No. 211 (QL), at para. 41). Seealso Young v. Young, (SCC), [1993] 4 S.C.R. 3, [1993] S.C.J. No. 112; L.A.A. v. W.J.V., 2020 NBCA 1, [2020] N.B.J.No. 9 (QL), at paras. 14-15;
e) Supervised access is not a long-term remedy, but it is generally a “temporary and time-limited measure designed to resolve aparental impasse over access” (Kohli, at para. 30); and
f) Factors that might persuade a judge to order supervised access include:
i) long-term harassment and harmful behaviour towards the other parent that cause the parent and/or child stress or fear, ii) history of violent, unpredictable, uncontrolled behaviour, or alcohol and drug abuse which presents a risk to the child’s safety andwell-being, iii) extreme parental alienation, iv) ongoing denigration of the other parent,
v) lack of attachment or relationship between the noncustodial parent and the child, and vi) an older child’s views and preferences. See also V.S.J., at para. 135, cited in J.S. v. C.S., 2022 NBKB 250, [2022] N.B.J. No. 338 (QL), at para. 100; K.W. v. G.W., 2022NBKB 236, [2022] N.B.J. No. 301 (QL), at para. 179. [28] In this case, the judge found the father’s inability to “get past the separation and move on” had affected hisability and willingness to communicate with the mother on matters affecting the children.
While he acknowledged the father was takingsteps to assist him to “get through what is clearly a very difficult time,” he did not articulate what those steps were, or how long it wouldtake. The judge accepted the mother had established that a supervised parenting order was in the children’s best interests, but he did notexplain how he arrived at 60 days. This gap in the judge’s reasons does not permit meaningful appellate review, and it relates directly tothe connection between grounds (
a) and (b). [29] In B.C., Quigg J.A. provided a concise review of the reasons in P.R.H. v. M.E.L., 2009 NBCA 18, 343 N.B.R.(2d) 100, where Larlee J.A. discussed what the basic threshold for the sufficiency of reasons should be in custody cases (paras. 19-21).
In
summary, a judge is not required to discuss every piece of evidence when explaining his or her reasons: Van de Perre v. Edwards,2001 SCC 60, [2001] 2 S.C.R. 1014, at para. 10. Judges are also cautioned against the use of conclusory reasons (see Young v. Young, (ON CA), [2003] O.J. No 67 (QL), at paras. 26-27; A.M.K.H. v. K.A.M., 2003 NBCA 33, 259 N.B.R. (2d) 291, atpara. 22; Blanchard v. Légère, 2009 NBCA 2, 339 N.B.R. (2d) 357, at paras. 14-16). Parties are entitled to know why a judge reachedhis or her decision, and reasons must be sufficient to allow for meaningful appellate review: R. v.
Walker, 2008 SCC 34, [2008] 2 S.C.R.245. The function of reasons is to tell the parties why the decision was made, to provide public accountability and to permit effectiveappellate review: R. v. R.E.M., 2008 SCC 51, [2008] 3 S.C.R. 3. [30] This motion was heard by way of affidavit evidence and oral submissions. As noted, the judge accepted theevidence of the mother.
Her unchallenged allegations of emotional instability on the part of the father should have prompted the judge, inmy view, to order the father to provide evidence concerning the “steps” he was taking to ensure he could safely parent the children, priorto terminating the supervised parenting order. Section 51(1) of the Act grants authority to a court to order a parent to undergo apsychiatric, psychological, social, physical or any other examination or evaluation specified by the court, either before or during ahearing. Similar provisions exist under ss. 11.4(1) and (3) of the Judicature Act, R.S.N.B. 1973, c. J-2.
At the very least, the fathershould have been required to provide evidence that his issues were being addressed, and by whom. [31] I agree with Blishen J., who wrote in V.S.J. that: […] It is possible through a supervision order to do the following: protect children from risk of harm; continue or promote theparent/child relationship; direct the access parent to engage in programming, counselling or treatment to deal with issues relevant toparenting; create a bridge between no relationship and a normal parenting relationship; and, avoid or reduce the conflict between parentsand thus, the impact upon children. [para. 137] [32] As was the case in M.P. the judge could have remained seized of the case, pending the receipt of satisfactoryevidence, and he could have conducted a review at that time: W. (V.) v.
S. (D.), (SCC), [1996] 2 S.C.R. 108, [1996]S.C.J. No. 53 (QL). His order would have, in effect, been an interim variation order, on conditions. By varying the final order as he did,he foreclosed the possibility of a review. Any further proceedings by either parent would require a de novo hearing. [33] In
summary, the judge fell into reversible error when he failed to provide adequate reasons for his decision tounconditionally terminate the supervised parenting order after 60 days. He failed to articulate why he thought it was in the best interestsof the children to do so, in spite of the mother’s evidence they were traumatized by the father’s threat to kill himself and by his ongoingirrational behaviour: J.C. v. B.C., 2011 NBQB 151, [2011] N.B.J. No. 203 (QL), at para. 6.
In accepting the mother’s evidence, the judgeimplicitly did not believe the father, yet the decision is silent as to how, by bringing an unconditional end to supervised parenting time in60 days, the order met the best interests of the children. [34] This Court has recognized the fact-based and discretionary nature of custody and access decisions (see J.H., atpara. 36; L.P. v. B.M., 2022 NBCA 19, [2022] N.B.J. No. 97 (QL)), at para. 11). The assessment of the continuing threat an access parentmay pose to the children’s safety and well-being is a question of fact.
In this case, I am of the view the judge is in a better position thanthis Court to determine this type of question: LeBouthillier v. J.M. Bastille Inc. and Boudreau, 2014 NBCA 73, 429 N.B.R. (2d) 323, atpara. 10. In consideration of the best interests of the children and under Rule 62.21(10)(
a) of the Rules of Court, I would refer the matterback to the judge for further review. I would circumscribe the review by inviting the judge to exercise his discretion to require the fatherto provide evidence concerning the steps he has taken to remove the risks identified for the purposes of the review. I would continue thestay of the existing order until the disposition of such a review. VI. Disposition [35] I would allow the appeal and refer the issue of supervised parenting time back to the judge for review, on theterms stated above. I would continue the stay of the judge’s order pending a further disposition following the review. No costs areordered.
Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par LA JUGE BAIRD I. Introduction [1] Notre Cour doit décider dans cet appel si un juge a commis une erreur de principe lorsqu’il a rendu, en vertu de la
Loi sur le droit de la famille , L.N.-B. 2020, ch. 23 (la Loi ), une ordonnance prévoyant du temps de parentage surveillé qui expirait automatiquement dans 60 jours, sans exiger la tenue d’une audience de révision pour déterminer si l’intimé constituait une menace constante pour deux jeunes enfants. II. Contexte [2] Les parents se sont séparés en 2018. Trois enfants sont nés de cette union, le plus vieux étant âgé de 16 ans.
Les deux plus jeunes enfants, âgés de neuf et sept ans, sont visés par l’ordonnance judiciaire existante. [3] En janvier 2020, les parents ont signé une ordonnance par consentement définitive qui précisait leurs arrangements de parentage. L’ordonnance accordait au père du temps de parentage auprès des enfants une fin de semaine sur deux, du vendredi à 18 h jusqu’au dimanche à 18 h. [4] En mai 2022, la mère s’est réfugiée dans une maison d’hébergement pour femmes battues, soutenant que le père avait été violent lors d’une de ses visites.
Elle a demandé, et obtenu, une ordonnance d’intervention d’urgence d’une durée de 90 jours, laquelle a plus tard été confirmée par un juge. Le père a déposé une motion en modification de l’ordonnance d’intervention d’urgence. En réponse, la mère a déposé une motion en modification de l’ordonnance définitive à laquelle elle a joint un affidavit dans lequel elle a décrit divers incidents où le père a fait montre d’un comportement excentrique.
Elle a indiqué que, le 29 avril 2022, le père a menacé de se tuer [TRADUCTION] « de la façon la plus horrible, la plus pénible, la plus salissante et sanglante et la plus lente possible », blâmant la mère pour le fait qu’il soit arrivé à cette décision. Lors d’une audience sur des mesures provisoires tenue le 29 juin 2022, les parents ont consenti à une ordonnance du temps de parentage surveillé. [5] La motion en modification de l’ordonnance définitive a été entendue le 13 septembre 2022.
Dans son affidavit, la mère avait fourni des détails concernant le fait que le père ne prenait pas toujours fidèlement ses médicaments pour traiter le diabète et elle a décrit ses rages [TRADUCTION] « diabétiques » au cours desquelles il a menacé les enfants de violence par arme à feu. Elle a déclaré que, à sa connaissance, le père n’avait pas cherché à obtenir de l’aide d’un professionnel pour ses problèmes et, à son avis, il [TRADUCTION] « a peut-être des problèmes de santé mentale non diagnostiqués ». [6] Le 21 septembre 2022, le juge a modifié l’ordonnance par consentement définitive.
Il a souligné la préoccupation de la mère concernant l’incapacité du père de s’occuper des enfants, l’un deux étant autiste et l’autre souffrant d’un trouble du déficit de l’attention avec hyperactivité.
Il a retenu le témoignage par affidavit de la mère, dans lequel elle a décrit les pertes de contrôle physiques du père, pendant lesquelles il brisait des [TRADUCTION] « choses », claquait des portes, lançait des objets et faisait preuve de rage au volant, notamment. [7] Le juge a accordé au père du temps de parentage surveillé pour une visite hebdomadaire de deux heures, sous la surveillance d’un organisme désigné, jusqu’au 24 septembre 2022, date à compter de laquelle le père aurait du temps de parentage une fin de semaine sur deux, le samedi de 14 h à 16 h et le dimanche de 14 h à 16 h, sous la surveillance de la mère de la mère (la grand- mère maternelle). [8] Le juge a ensuite ordonné ce qui suit : [TRADUCTION] 2.
La présente ordonnance demeurera en vigueur pour une durée de 60 jours ou jusqu’à nouvelle ordonnance de notre Cour.
[…] 4.
Après l’expiration de la période de 60 jours, les conditions de l’ordonnance par consentement définitive demeureront en vigueur, à moins que l’une des parties, ou les deux, démontrent qu’il y a eu un changement important de situation et qu’il serait dans l’intérêt supérieur des enfants de modifier l’ordonnance par consentement définitive. […] [9] La mère a déposé un avis d’appel le 6 octobre 2022 et a réussi à obtenir de notre Cour une suspension de l’exécution des dispositions susmentionnées jusqu’à ce qu’il soit statué sur son appel. [10] L’appel de la mère porte sur l’expiration automatique de l’ordonnance du temps de parentage surveillé.
Elle soutient que, à tout le moins, le juge aurait dû enjoindre au père de fournir à la Cour de la preuve démontrant qu’il était capable d’exercer sans risque le rôle de parent à l’égard des enfants avant de mettre fin inconditionnellement à l’ordonnance du temps de parentage surveillé. III. Moyens d’appel [11] Le long avis d’appel peut se ramener aux questions suivantes, comme l’a reconnu la mère dans son mémoire. Elle affirme ce qui suit :
a) Le juge a commis une erreur de principe en fixant de façon arbitraire une date de cessation du temps de parentage surveillé sans fournir de fondement probatoire à l’appui;
b) Par conséquent, la date de cessation faisait obstacle à un examen valable en appel;
c) Le juge a commis une erreur de principe puisque, de fait, l’ordonnance inversait le fardeau de la preuve en imposant à la mère la charge de déposer une motion en modification fondée sur le par. 50(4) de la Loi . [12] Pour les motifs qui suivent, j’accueillerais l’appel sur le fondement des moyens
a) et b). L’avocat de la mère a reconnu que ces moyens sont interdépendants. L’analyse qui suit a été effectuée sur ce fondement. Il n’est donc pas nécessaire de traiter du troisième moyen. IV. Norme de contrôle [13] Il est établi en droit que, dans les affaires de garde et d’accès, en l’absence d’une conclusion d’erreur de principe, d’erreur de droit ou d’erreur manifeste et dominante dans le traitement des faits par le juge, la norme de contrôle applicable est celle de la déférence (voir C.M.H. c. J.R.H ., 2012 NBCA 71 , 393 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 154 , par. 8 et 9 ; B.C. c.
M.S. , 2015 NBCA 46 , 438 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 155 , par. 5 et 6 ; J.H. c. T.H. , 2017 NBCA 7 , [2017] A.N.-B. n o 16 (QL) ). V. Analyse A. La décision du juge de mettre fin au temps de parentage surveillé après 60 jours et la question de savoir s’il y a eu obstacle à un examen valable en appel
[14] Lorsque le juge a terminé son analyse sur l’intérêt supérieur des enfants, il a décidé que l’ordonnance du tempsde parentage surveillé prendrait fin dans 60 jours, comme il a été indiqué. La mère soutient que la décision du juge d’imposer une dated’échéance inconditionnelle pour l’accès surveillé constituait une [TRADUCTION] « erreur dans l’application du droit ». [15] L’article 52 de la Loi énonce les types d’ordonnances de parentage qui peuvent être rendues pour une duréedéterminée ou indéterminée (par. 52(5)). L’alinéa 52(4)
f) permet la délivrance d’une ordonnance prévoyant du temps de parentagesurveillé. Le paragraphe 52(6) autorise expressément la modification ou la révocation d’une ordonnance de parentage si elle est fondée sur un changement important : J.A.D. c. L.D.D., 2010 NBCA 69, 364 R.N.-B. (2e) 200. En ce qui concerne la question du changementimportant, le juge a déclaré ce qui suit : [TRADUCTION] Il y a lieu de préciser que le changement important en l’espèce n’est pas la peine constante du père.
Le changement important dans les[présentes] circonstances est l’existence de violence familiale qui a atteint récemment un niveau de préoccupation imprévu ainsi que lesaveux récents du père selon lesquels il voulait s’enlever la vie. En l’espèce, l’explication et le souvenir de la mère des évènements récents, particulièrement en mai 2022 et, bien sûr, depuis quel’ordonnance définitive a été rendue, qui établissent un changement important de situation n’ont pas été niés par le père. En d’autresmots, le père n’a pas indiqué, par exemple, que ces évènements n’ont jamais eu lieu dans la preuve présentée à la Cour.
En l’espèce, il est difficile d’imaginer que la violence familiale et les menaces de se suicider faites par le père, devant la mère et lesenfants, n’ont pas eu d’incidence sur les enfants. Il est difficile d’imaginer un scénario où la violence familiale est dans l’intérêtsupérieur des enfants. En ce qui concerne l’incidence sur les enfants, je retiens la preuve contenue dans l’affidavit de la mère.
Lespréoccupations de la mère étaient assez sérieuses pour qu’elle décide récemment de quitter la maison et de demeurer dans un refuge avecles enfants pour un mois. [...] En résumé, je suis convaincu que la capacité du père de répondre aux besoins des enfants a changé. Cela a eu une incidence significativesur les enfants, et sur la capacité du père de répondre à leurs besoins, d’une manière qui n’avait pas été envisagée ou prévue au momentoù l’ordonnance définitive a été signée le 20 janvier 2020.
Par conséquent, je conclus qu’il y a eu un changement important de situationen l’espèce. [...] D’abord, le temps de parentage surveillé qui a lieu actuellement se poursuivra afin d’assurer la sécurité des enfants, du moins à courtterme, dans les circonstances particulières de l’espèce.
Leur sécurité était, et demeure, une préoccupation constante compte tenu de lapreuve de violence familiale présentée à la Cour. […] [par. 23 à 25, 27 et 38] [16] Puisque le juge a accepté qu’il a été satisfait au critère préliminaire du changement important, il devait ensuiteprocéder à une analyse de l’intérêt supérieur des enfants, ce qu’il a fait; toutefois, à mon avis, son défaut d’expliquer la façon dont sonordonnance répondait à leur intérêt supérieur constituait une erreur de principe.
Rien dans ses motifs n’explique pourquoi il a décidé quedu temps de parentage surveillé devait automatiquement prendre fin après 60 jours et, à mon avis, l’ordonnance était arbitraire. [17] Dans ses motifs, le juge a renvoyé à MacIllwraith c. MacGougan., 2003 NBQB 169 , 2003 NBBR 169, [2003] A.N.-B. no 159 (QL), où la Cour a écrit ce qui suit : [TRADUCTION]
Il m’apparaît évident que toute cette affaire a dérayé en raison du défaut du requérant de faire effectuer une évaluation familiale. L’accèssurveillé est censé être une mesure temporaire. Il ne convient pas d’y avoir recours en raison d’une dispute entre parents. À mon avis,c’est ce qui s’est produit en l’espèce. J’attire l’attention sur le raisonnement suivi par la juge Abella dans M. (B.P.) c. M. (B.L.D.E.), (ON CA), 1992 CarswellOnt 295 (C.A.) : [TRADUCTION] 33.
L’objet des visites surveillées, qui sont tout sauf une caractéristique permanente de la vie d’un enfant, est de prévoir[TRADUCTION] « une mesure temporaire et d’application limitée dans le temps qui a pour but de résoudre l’impasse dans laquelle lesparents se trouvent au sujet de l’accès, mais ne constitue pas [...] une solution à long terme » : Norris Weisman, « On Access afterParental Separation » (1992), 36 R.F.L. (3d) 25, à la p. 74. Cependant, on ne pourrait imaginer une autre forme d’exercice du droitd’accès dans le cas de cette enfant en particulier.
Compte tenu du fait que l’enfant ne tire aucun avantage de ces visites, encore moins unavantage appréciable qui puisse être démontré, et des solides éléments de preuve du comportement du père constituant du harcèlement,un manque d’empathie et une conduite perturbatrice et nocive, comportement qui dure depuis quatre ans, le juge Wright n’a pas commisd’erreur en mettant fin à l’accès par le père auprès de sa fille en raison du [changement] important qui se reflétait dans le stress ressentipar l’enfant. 34.
La question n’est pas de savoir quelle norme devrait être appliquée pour priver un parent de son droit d’accès, mais plutôt de savoirquelle norme devrait être appliquée lorsqu’il s’agit de décider quelle forme d’exercice du droit d’accès devrait, s’il y a lieu, être accordée.À la lecture de la loi, la réponse est claire : la norme est l’intérêt supérieur de l’enfant. (Voir également Craig c. Antone, un jugementrendu par le juge Vogelsang, de la Cour provinciale de l’Ontario (Division de la famille), le 9 avril 1987 [publié sous la référence (ON CJ), 7 R.F.L. (3d) 409]; Lusher c.
Lusher, un jugement rendu par le juge Main, de la Cour provinciale de l’Ontario(Division de la famille), le 29 février 1988 [publié sous la référence (ON CJ), 13 R.F.L. (3d) 201].) [par. 24] [18] Dans Gordon c.
Goertz, (SCC), [1996] 2 R.C.S. 27, [1996] A.C.S. no 52 (QL), les jugesLa Forest et L’Heureux-Dubé, auteurs de motifs concurrents, ont affirmé que l’opportunité de favoriser un contact maximum entrel’enfant et ses parents est un facteur important, mais le tribunal doit aussi pondérer d’autres facteurs comme les besoins physiques,affectifs, sociaux et économiques de l’enfant, à la lumière de la qualité de la relation que celui-ci entretient avec ses deux parents, de lacapacité respective de ces derniers de veiller à son intérêt et, si l’enfant est suffisamment âgé et mûr, de son désir et de ses préférences (par. 120).
Dans M.A.(L.)B. c. T.J.L., 2021 NBCA 5, 2021 A.N.-B. no 24 (QL), la juge LaVigne qualifie l’examen de ce principed’« impératif » (par. 56); toutefois, comme l’a affirmé la juge McLachlin (plus tard juge en chef) dans l’arrêt Gordon, il n’est pas « absolu » (par. 24). Voir aussi R.J. c. P.J., 2021 NBCA 28, [2021] A.N.-B. no 145 (QL). [19] Le juge a reconnu qu’il était tenu d’effectuer l’analyse en deux étapes et a traité du témoignage de la mèreconcernant la violence familiale.
Il a ensuite déclaré ce qui suit : [TRADUCTION] […] Il est difficile d’imaginer un scénario où la violence familiale est dans l’intérêt supérieur des enfants. En ce qui concerne l’incidencesur les enfants, je retiens la preuve contenue dans l’affidavit de la mère. […] [par. 25] [20] À mon avis, il semble que le juge a ensuite conclu à tort que du temps de parentage surveillé devrait se limiterà de courtes périodes dans tous les cas et peu importe les circonstances.
Le juge a fait remarquer, à juste titre, que, dans le passé, lestribunaux se sont montrés réticents à rendre des ordonnances d’accès surveillé pour de longues périodes (voir K.M.E. c. D.M.Z., [1996]B.C.J. No. 464 (QL); V.S.J. c. L.J.G., (ON SC), [2004] O.J. No. 2238 (QL); A.L. c. G.L., 2005 NSSC 256, [2005]N.S.J. No. 368 (QL)).
Toutefois, lorsqu’il y a une conclusion de risque pour la santé et la sécurité d’un enfant, comme c’était le cas enl’espèce, il peut être dans l’intérêt supérieur de l’enfant de rendre une ordonnance d’accès surveillé de longue durée. [21] Dans la décision V.S.J., la juge Blishen a conclu ainsi : [TRADUCTION] Toutefois, dans certains cas, l’accès surveillé à moyen ou à long terme peut être dans l’intérêt supérieur de l’enfant.
La professeureMartha Bailey de la Faculté de droit de l’Université Queen’s remet en cause ce qu’elle considère être la démarche doctrinaire qui supposeque l’accès surveillé à long terme n’est pas dans l’intérêt supérieur de l’enfant et souligne que cette démarche peut miner le droit del’enfant de maintenir un contact personnel avec le parent sauf lorsque cela est contraire à l’intérêt supérieur de l’enfant. Dans son
article
intitulé « Supervised Access: A Long Term Solution? », 37 Family and Conciliation Courts Review 478 (octobre 1999), elle a écrit cequi suit, à la p. 480 : [TRADUCTION] La question de savoir si l’accès surveillé à long terme est dans l’intérêt supérieur de l’enfant doit être déterminée au cas par cas en tenantcompte de toutes les circonstances relatives à l’intérêt supérieur de l’enfant. Il faut alors se demander s’il existe des circonstances danslesquelles l’accès surveillé à long terme serait dans l’intérêt supérieur de l’enfant, même si l’accès non surveillé n’est pas une option àl’avenir.
À mon avis, l’accès surveillé, qu’il soit à court, à moyen ou à long terme, devrait toujours être considéré comme une solution à la rupturecomplète de la relation entre le parent et l’enfant. Manifestement, si l’on a tenté un accès surveillé et que cela n’a pas fonctionné, parexemple si l’enfant demeure hostile envers le père lors des visites, si l’enfant réagit mal après les visites ou si le parent ayant l’accèsmanque constamment des visites ou agit de façon inappropriée durant celles-ci, il faut alors considérer d’y mettre fin. Voir Studley c.O’Laughlin, précité; Worthington c.
Worthington (2000), (ON SC), 13 R.F.L. (5th) 220 (C. sup. Ont.); Lacaille c.Manger, 1994 CarswellOnt 2089; Dixon c. Hinsley, précité. Si l’accès surveillé a comme but de permettre au parent ayant l’accès desuivre des traitements ou des séances de counseling et que ce dernier refuse de les suivre, le maintien de l’accès surveillé n’est alors peut-être pas une solution viable. Voir Pavao c. Pavao, précité; Gorgichuk c. Gorgichuk, précité. [par. 139 et 140] [22] Dans B.P. c.
A.T., 2014 NBCA 51, 423 R.N.-B. (2e) 99, la juge Larlee a rejeté l’appel interjeté contre ladécision d’un juge de première instance d’ordonner un accès surveillé sur une base continue dans une affaire de séparation fortementconflictuelle où deux rapports psychologiques avait été déposés. Elle a écrit ce qui suit : En parvenant à sa décision concernant l’accès sous surveillance, le juge du procès a tenu compte des deux rapports psychologiques. Il aconsidéré chacun d’eux comme un morceau du casse-tête. Le rapport de Robert Doucet a une portée plus large que celui de M.
Galarneauet traite en général de la capacité parentale et de questions du genre. Le juge du procès a reconnu que, selon le rapport Doucet, il n’y apas vraiment de danger que l’appelant fasse subir des violences à sa fille. Mais M.
Doucet a déclaré, et il est évident que le juge duprocès a accepté sa recommandation, que les visites devraient avoir lieu sous surveillance jusqu’à ce que le thérapeute qui traitel’appelant estime qu’il n’y a aucun risque. […] Sur la foi de cette preuve, le juge du procès a reconnu que, bien que le risque que l’appelant commette une infraction soit faible, il esttout de même approprié d’établir un plan de sécurité pour les enfants.
Il a été convaincu en conséquence qu’il fallait ordonner l’accèssous surveillance comme mesure de précaution. […] Dans l’ensemble, le juge a effectué une analyse approfondie de l’« intérêt supérieur de l’enfant » et a rendu une décision raisonnée àl’appui de l’ordonnance de garde et d’accès. Dans l’arrêt P.R.H. c. M.E.L., au par. 10, nous avons cité l’arrêt Van de Perre c.
Edwards,2001 CSC 60, [2001] 2 R.C.S. 1014, et nous avons déclaré que lorsqu’il élabore les motifs de sa décision dans une affaire de garde, lejuge de première instance est censé prendre en considération tous les facteurs pertinents, mais qu’il serait déraisonnable d’exiger que lejuge analyse chaque élément de preuve dans ses motifs. En l’espèce, le juge du procès a consacré une grande part de ses motifs écrits àla question de l’accès sous surveillance.
Il a reconnu que l’accès sous surveillance n’était pas la situation idéale pour un père et un enfant(par. 317) et qu’il est dans l’« intérêt supérieur de l’enfant » de maintenir et de favoriser une relation valable avec les deux parents(par. 318). Il a reconnu que les deux parents sont des parents aimants et ont une immense contribution à apporter au bien-être à longterme de leur fille (par. 329). Pour ce qui est de l’ordonnance d’accès sous surveillance, je souscris aux motifs mûrement réfléchis du juge du procès.
Il s’est appuyésur la preuve et a rendu une décision concernant l’« intérêt supérieur de l’enfant ». Il en est venu à la conclusion que l’accès sous
surveillance était une mesure de précaution nécessaire.
Malgré les arguments de poids de l’appelant concernant l’analyse insuffisante descritères de l’« intérêt supérieur de l’enfant », la délégation de la décision à un expert, le crédit accordé à une preuve périmée et la chargede preuve, le juge du procès, à mon avis, n’a commis aucune erreur susceptible de révision. Ce moyen d’appel doit être rejeté. [Soulignement ajouté; par. 15, 17, 19 et 20] [23] Dans M.P. c. M.P., 2020 ONSC 4559, [2020] O.J. No. 4645 (QL), le juge Doi était saisi d’une motion enretrait du droit d’accès surveillé à une mère qui avait éprouvé des problèmes psychiatriques.
Le juge était convaincu que la mère n’avaitpas tenté de régler les problèmes ou les préoccupations sur lesquelles se fondait l’ordonnance d’accès surveillé. Entre-temps, il y avait unplan pour un retour progressif à l’accès non surveillé sur une période de six mois, à condition que la mère obtienne une évaluationpsychiatrique judiciaire confirmant sa capacité d’exercer le rôle de parent sans surveillance.
Il convient de noter que la Cour avaitconservé sa compétence à l’égard des questions portant sur l’accès pour une période de 18 mois à compter de la date de la publication desmotifs afin que les parties puissent retourner devant la Cour advenant un conflit. [24] Dans Kohli c. Thom, 2021 ONSC 927, [2021] O.J. No. 568 (QL), il y avait des allégations de violencefamiliale. À la suite de la séparation en 2019, le père bénéficiait de 12 h d’accès surveillé par semaine auprès de l’enfant. En 2021, il adéposé une motion en vue d’obtenir un accès non surveillé.
La mère a soutenu que le père avait fait part d’idéations de meurtresuicidaire. Le père a fourni un rapport favorable de sa thérapeute. En outre, il s’était prévalu de 150 visites surveillées auprès de l’enfant,visites qui s’étaient bien déroulées. Dans cette affaire, la Cour a ordonné une transition progressive des visites surveillées à des visitesnon surveillées. [25] Dans A.C.V.P. c. A.M.P., 2022 ONCA 283, [2022] O.J. No. 1663 (QL), motifs du juge Coroza, la mère avaitporté en appel une ordonnance d’un juge de première instance exigeant que son droit d’accès auprès des enfants soit surveillé.
Aucunedes parties n’avait demandé une évaluation sous le régime de la Loi portant réforme du droit de l’enfance, L.R.O. 1990, ch. C.12;toutefois, le juge a enjoint à la mère de faire les arrangements nécessaires pour obtenir une évaluation psychiatrique dans les trente jourssuivant ses motifs afin que l’évaluation puisse être fournie à la Cour en vue de l’examen de l’ordonnance d’accès surveillé. Lejuge Coroza a confirmé la décision du juge d’ordonner, de sa propre initiative, que la mère subisse une évaluation, en se fondant surM.B.A.T. c. J.Y., 2013 ONSC 4423, [2013] O.J. No. 3309 (QL); V.S.J.; Merkand c.
Merkand, [2006] O.J. No. 528 (QL), autorisation de pourvoi à la C.S.C. refusée, [2006] C.S.C.R. no 117; et Kucan c. Santos, 2017 ONSC 6725, [2017] O.J. No. 6011 (QL). Il a concluqu’un tel rapport était d’une [TRADUCTION] « importance indéniable » pour que le juge dispose de l’information la plus à jour(par. 32). Finalement, il a décidé que la voie qu’il convenait de suivre était pour la mère de présenter une autre motion à la Coursupérieure de justice en modification de l’ordonnance d’accès surveillé une fois l’évaluation effectuée. [26] Dans J.H. c.
N.M., 2022 NBQB 136 , 2022 NBBR 136, [2022] A.N.-B. no 145 (QL), les partiesavaient conclu un accord de séparation qui prévoyait la garde juridique conjointe et la garde partagée des enfants. La relation des partiesavait été qualifiée de hautement conflictuelle : plus de onze différentes ordonnances judiciaires avaient été rendues entre 2018 et 2022.Puisque la mère avait tenté de retirer le plus jeune enfant du Nouveau-Brunswick, une motion avait été entendue dans un délai abrégé en2018 et le père s’était vu accorder la garde exclusive des quatre enfants.
On a ordonné que l’accès de la mère soit surveillé[TRADUCTION] « à la discrétion du père ». [27] Les principes directeurs suivants se dégagent de la jurisprudence susmentionnée :
a) L’accès surveillé est généralement une mesure de dernier recours et sera ordonné lorsqu’un tribunal conclut qu’il y a un risque depréjudice pour un enfant qui ne peut être traité d’une autre manière satisfaisante (voir S.I. c. I.I., 2013 ONSC 2762, [2013] O.J. No. 2163(QL), par. 10; T.B. c. A.M., 2002 NBBR 349, [2002] N.B.R. (2d) (Supp.) No. 93);
b) Il incombe au parent qui cherche à restreindre le droit d’accès de l’autre parent de démontrer pourquoi le droit d’accès de ce parentdevrait être surveillé : V.K. c. A.K., 2018 ONSC 7290, [2018] O.J. No. 6818 (QL), par. 43;
c) On ne devrait entraver le droit de l’enfant d’avoir une relation significative avec ses deux parents que dans les cas où le tribunal estconvaincu que le bien-être physique ou psychologique de l’enfant serait mis en danger si l’accès non surveillé était accordé : Hameed c.Hameed, 2006 ONCJ 274, [2006] O.J. No. 3109 (QL), par. 22;
d) Le critère de l’intérêt supérieur de l’enfant ne comprend pas simplement le droit d’être à l’abri de tout préjudice manifeste; ilreconnaît qu’un enfant a le droit de bénéficier des meilleures dispositions possible compte tenu de la situation des parties. Déterminer cequi est dans l’intérêt supérieur de l’enfant « ne se fait pas au moyen d’une analyse consistant à cocher des cases » (R.J. c. P.J., 2021
NBCA 28, [2021] A.N.-B. no 145 (QL), par. 20). Il s’agit d’une évaluation « ouverte » qui exige d’évaluer et de soupeser des facteurs (M.L.B. c. W.R.P., 2019 NBCA 63, [2019] A.N.-B. no 211 (QL), par. 41). Voir aussi Young c. Young, (SCC), [1993] 4 R.C.S. 3, [1993] A.C.S. no 112; L.A.A. c. W.J.V., 2020 NBCA 1, [2020] A.N.-B. no 9 (QL), par. 14 et 15;
e) L’accès surveillé n’est pas une solution à long terme, mais généralement une [TRADUCTION] « mesure temporaire etd’application limitée dans le temps qui a pour but de résoudre l’impasse dans laquelle les parents se trouvent au sujet de l’accès » (Kohli,par. 30);
f) Voici certains facteurs qui peuvent convaincre le juge d’ordonner l’accès surveillé :
i) le harcèlement ou une conduite préjudiciable, sur une longue période, à l’égard de l’autre parent qui suscite chez le parent oul’enfant, ou les deux, du stress ou de la crainte, ii) des antécédents de comportement violent, imprévisible et incontrôlable ou une consommation excessive d’alcool et de drogues quiprésente un risque pour la sécurité ou le bien-être de l’enfant, iii) une aliénation parentale extrême, iv) le dénigrement incessant de l’autre parent,
v) l’absence de tout attachement ou de toute relation entre le parent non-gardien et l’enfant, vi) le point de vue et les préférences d’un enfant plus âgé. Voir aussi V.S.J., par. 135, cité dans J.S. c. C.S., 2022 NBKB 250 , 2022 NBBR 250, [2022] A.N.-B. no 338 (QL), par. 100; K.W. c. G.W., 2022 NBKB 236 , 2022 NBBR 236, [2022] A.N.-B. no 301 (QL), par. 179. [28] En l’espèce, le juge a conclu que l’incapacité du père de [TRADUCTION] « se remettre de la séparation et depasser à autre chose » avait eu une incidence sur sa capacité et sa volonté de communiquer avec la mère à l’égard de sujets touchant lesenfants.
Bien qu’il ait reconnu que le père prenait des mesures pour l’aider à [TRADUCTION] « surmonter ce qui est manifestement unepériode très difficile », il n’a pas indiqué quelles étaient ces mesures ni combien de temps cela prendrait. Le juge a accepté que la mèreavait établi qu’une ordonnance prévoyant du temps de parentage surveillé était dans l’intérêt supérieur des enfants, mais il n’a pasexpliqué comment il est arrivé à une période de 60 jours. Cette lacune dans les motifs du juge ne permet pas un examen valable en appelet se rapporte directement au lien entre les moyens
a) et b). [29] Dans l’arrêt B.C., la juge Quigg a fait un résumé concis des motifs énoncés dans P.R.H. c. M.E.L., 2009 NBCA 18, 343 R.N.-B. (2e) 100, où la juge Larlee a traité de ce que devrait être le critère de base en matière de suffisance des motifs dans lesaffaires de garde (par. 19 à 21). En résumé, il n’est pas nécessaire que le juge analyse chaque élément de preuve lorsqu’il explique sesmotifs : Van de Perre c. Edwards, 2001 CSC 60, [2001] 2 R.C.S. 1014, par. 10. Les juges sont aussi mis en garde contre le prononcé demotifs sous forme de conclusions (voir Young c. Young, (ON CA), [2003] O.J.
No. 67 (QL), par. 26 et 27; A.M.K.H. c. K.A.M., 2003 NBCA 33, 259 R.N.-B. (2e) 291, par. 22; Blanchard c. Légère, 2009 NBCA 2, 339 R.N.-B. (2e) 357, para. 14 à 16). Lesparties ont le droit de savoir pourquoi le juge en est arrivé à sa décision, et les motifs donnés doivent être suffisants pour permettre unexamen valable en appel : R. c. Walker, 2008 CSC 34, [2008] 2 R.C.S. 245. Les motifs ont pour fonction de dire aux parties viséespourquoi la décision a été prise, de rendre compte devant le public et de permettre un examen efficace en appel : R. c.
R.E.M., 2008 CSC51, [2008] 3 R.C.S. 3. [30] La présente motion a été entendue par voie de preuve par affidavit et d’observations orales. Comme il a étémentionné, le juge a retenu le témoignage de la mère. Ses allégations non contestées d’instabilité émotionnelle de la part du père auraientdû, à mon avis, inciter le juge à enjoindre au père de fournir de la preuve concernant les [TRADUCTION] « mesures » qu’il prenait pour
s’assurer qu’il puisse exercer sans risque le rôle de parent à l’égard des enfants avant de mettre fin à l’ordonnance du temps de parentagesurveillé. Le paragraphe 51(1) de la Loi confère à la Cour le pouvoir d’enjoindre à un parent de subir un examen ou une évaluationpsychiatrique, psychologique, social, physique ou de tout autre genre spécifié par la Cour, avant ou durant l’audience. Des dispositionssimilaires sont prévues aux par. 11.4(1) et (3) de la
Loi sur l’organisation judiciaire, L.R.N.-B. 1973, ch. J-2.
À tout le moins, le pèreaurait dû être tenu de fournir de la preuve démontrant que ces problèmes étaient traités et d’indiquer qui les traitait. [31] Je suis d’accord avec la juge Blishen, qui a écrit ce qui suit dans la décision V.S.J. : [TRADUCTION] […] Il est possible de faire ce qui suit au moyen d’une ordonnance de surveillance : protéger les enfants d’un risque de préjudice;maintenir ou promouvoir la relation entre le parent et l’enfant; enjoindre au parent ayant l’accès de suivre des programmes, ducounseling ou des traitements afin de traiter des problèmes se rapportant au parentage; créer une transition entre l’absence de relation etune relation parentale normale; prévenir ou diminuer le conflit entre les parents et, de ce fait, son incidence sur les enfants. [par. 137] [32] Le juge aurait pu faire comme dans la décision M.P. et demeurer saisi de l’affaire, en attendant la réception depreuve satisfaisante, et effectuer un examen à ce moment-là : W. (V.) c.
S. (D.), (SCC), [1996] 2 R.C.S. 108, [1996] A.C.S. no 53 (QL). Son ordonnance aurait, de fait, été une ordonnance modificative provisoire assortie de conditions. En modifiantl’ordonnance définitive comme il l’a fait, il a écarté la possibilité d’un examen.
Toute autre instance introduite par l’un des parentsnécessiterait la tenue d’une nouvelle audience. [33] En résumé, le juge a commis une erreur justifiant l’infirmation de sa décision lorsqu’il a omis de fournir desmotifs suffisants à l’appui de sa décision de mettre fin inconditionnellement l’ordonnance du temps de parentage surveillé après 60 jours.Il a omis de préciser pourquoi il estimait qu’il était dans l’intérêt supérieur des enfants de le faire, en dépit du témoignage de la mèreselon lequel ils étaient traumatisés par la menace du père de se suicider et par son comportement irrationnel constant : J.C. c.
B.C., 2011 NBBR 151, [2011] A.N.-B. no 203 (QL), par. 6. En retenant le témoignage de la mère, le juge, implicitement, n’a pas cru le père;toutefois, la décision est muette quant à la façon dont, en mettant fin inconditionnellement du temps de parentage surveillé après60 jours, l’ordonnance répondait à l’intérêt supérieur des enfants. [34] Notre Cour a reconnu la nature factuelle et discrétionnaire des décisions en matière de garde et d’accès (voir J.H., par. 36; L.P., 2022 NBCA 19, [2022] A.N.-B. no 97 (QL)), par. 11).
L’examen de la menace constante qu’un parent ayant l’accèspeut constituer pour la sécurité et le bien-être des enfants est une question de fait. En l’espèce, j’estime que le juge est mieux placé que notre Cour pour trancher ce genre de questions : LeBouthillier c. J.M. Bastille Inc. et Boudreau, 2014 NBCA 73, 429 R.N.-B. (2e) 323,par. 10. Compte tenu de l’intérêt supérieur des enfants et en vertu de la règle 62.21(10)
a) des Règles de procédure, je renverrais l’affaireau juge pour réexamen. Je circonscrirais l’examen en invitant le juge à exercer son pouvoir discrétionnaire pour enjoindre au père defournir de la preuve concernant les mesures qu’il a prises pour éliminer les risques cernés pour les besoins de l’examen. Je prolongeraisla suspension de l’ordonnance existante jusqu’à ce qu’une décision soit rendue à l’issue de l’examen. VI. Dispositif [35] J’accueillerais l’appel et renverrais la question du temps de parentage surveillé au juge pour examen, suivantles conditions énoncées ci-dessus.
Je prolongerais la suspension de l’ordonnance rendue par le juge jusqu’à ce qu’une autre décision soitrendue à l’issue de l’examen. Aucuns dépens ne sont adjugés.