2020 NBCA 73, 2020 NBCA 73
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 16-20-CA GERRY SIMOES APPELLANT GERRY SIMOES APPELANT - and - - et - HER MAJESTY THE QUEEN RESPONDENT SA MAJESTÉ LA REINE INTIMÉE Simoes v. R., 2020 NBCA 73 CORAM: The Honourable Justice French The Honourable Justice LaVigne The Honourable Justice LeBlond Simoes c.
R., 2020 NBCA 73 CORAM : l’honorable juge French l’honorable juge LaVigne l’honorable juge LeBlond Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: December 5, 2019 (conviction) December 19, 2019 (sentencing) Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : le 5 décembre 2019 (déclaration de culpabilité) le 19 décembre 2019 (détermination de la peine) History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decisions under appeal: Unreported Décisions frappées d’appel : inédites Preliminary or incidental proceedings: N/A Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : s.o.
Appeal heard: September 10, 2020 Appel entendu : le 10 septembre 2020
Judgment rendered: November 19, 2020 Jugement rendu : le 19 novembre 2020 Reasons for judgment: The Honourable Justice LaVigne Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice French The Honourable Justice LeBlond Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: Margaret Gallagher, Q.C. For the respondent: Kathryn Gregory, Q.C. Motifs de jugement : l’honorable judge LaVigne Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge French l’honorable juge LeBlond Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appelant : Margaret Gallagher, c.r. Pour l’intimée : Kathryn Gregory, c.r.
THE COURT The appeal against conviction is dismissed and leave to appeal sentence is denied. LA COUR L’appel de la déclaration de culpabilité est rejeté et l’autorisation d’interjeter appel de la peine est refusée. The judgment of the Court was delivered by LAVIGNE, J.A. I. Introduction and Overview [ 1 ] Gerry Simoes was tried by judge alone before the Court of Queen’s Bench and convicted of two counts of sexual assault ( s. 271 (
a) of the Criminal Code ) . Each count in the indictment related to a different female adult complainant, namely, T.R. on count #1 and C.D. on count #2. [ 2 ] The only evidence before the trial judge concerning the sexual activity that formed the basis of each count was that of T.R. on count #1 and that of C.D. on count #2 and each complainant testified she had not consented to this sexual activity. The defence’s main argument at trial was that the complainants were not credible and the Crown had failed to prove the sexual activity was non-consensual.
The trial judge believed the uncontradicted evidence of the complainants. Although Mr. Simoes did not testify, he raised the defence of honest but mistaken belief in communicated consent. The trial judge rejected this defence, finding there was no air of reality to it.
[ 3 ] The trial judge sentenced Mr. Simoes to a period of incarceration of six months on count #1 and 12 months on count #2 and ordered the sentences to be served consecutively. Mr. Simoes was credited 201 days for time spent on remand, leaving a net global sentence of 11 months and 13 days. Various ancillary orders were also rendered. [ 4 ] Mr. Simoes now appeals his convictions and, if not successful, seeks leave to appeal his sentence.
His main argument concerning his conviction appeal is the trial judge erred in law “by not considering each count separately.” He also argues the trial judge erred in law “by failing to properly consider evidence relevant to the mens rea aspect, by looking only to direct evidence relating to ‘state of mind ’” when considering his defence of honest but mistaken belief in communicated consent. With respect to a question of law, the standard of review is correctness: Housen v. Nikolaisen , 2002 SCC 33 , [2002] 2 S.C.R. 235, at para. 8 . [ 5 ] Mr.
Simoes seeks to appeal his global sentence on the ground that “it was excessive in the circumstances of the case”. [ 6 ] I have not been persuaded the trial judge committed any error, let alone one that would justify quashing the convictions or interfering with the sentence. For the reasons that follow, I would dismiss both the appeal against conviction and the application for leave to appeal the sentence. II. Factual Background [ 7 ] During a few months in 2019, T.R. and C.D. were employed at a small special care home owned and operated by Mr. Simoes’ common-law partner, A.B. Although Mr.
Simoes was not an employee of the care home, he performed maintenance work and a variety of other chores there. In addition, Mr. Simoes and his partner resided in a
section attached to the care home. [ 8 ] Daily contact occurred between T.R., C.D. and Mr. Simoes and included frequent flirtation and sexual banter by all three individuals. Additionally, Mr. Simoes, his partner and the complainants often socialized together outside the complainants’ working hours . [ 9 ] Concerning count #1, the trial judge gave the following description of the specific incidents of assault testified to by T.R.: T.R. related several particular incidents which form the basis of the allegations in Count #1 of the Indictment.
First, T.R. testified that she was putting clothes away upstairs when the accused came in, pinned her to the bed and laid on top of her. She testified that she kept telling him to get off and he — and he finally got off her and went downstairs. She relayed in another incident where one night Mr. Simoes called her and asked her if she would have a smoke with him. T.R. got into Mr. Simoes’ truck and Mr. Simoes reached over and pulled her dress up a bit. According to T.R., he then laid over on top of her with the upper half of his body across her. This lasted maybe five minutes. T.R. testified that while Mr.
Simoes was laying on her she did not allow him to touch her breasts but “he kept grabbing for it”. Finally, she said, “You’re not going to stop so touch it”. According to T.R., she gave that alleged permission in order to get him to stop. T.R. also related an incident where again she was upstairs in the residence and Mr. Simoes came upstairs fully naked asking her to look at him. T.R. testified that she held a blanket up so that she could not see his body. Another incident occurred on a night one of the residents went out on a scooter and failed to return. She and Mr. Simoes got into Mr.
Simoes’ truck and went looking for him. T.R. testified that Mr. Simoes pinned her against the truck and said, “This is the day we are going to fuck”. T.R. testified that in order to get him to stop she feigned interest in sexual activity but told him that she was dirty and needed to clean up. The final incident T.R. related occurred on either August 5 or August 6. T.R. testified that Ms. [A.B.] had left the house and that she was in the living room mopping up. She testified that Mr. Simoes pinned her down on an ottoman and said, “You’re going to be that kind of bitch today”. T.R. testified that Mr.
Simoes had pinned her down and that she became very angry and screamed, “Get off me”. The incident did not last very long. T.R. testified that she did not consent to any of the activity related in the above-mentioned incidents. [ 10 ] Relating to count #2, the trial judge described the two specific incidents of sexual assault testified to by C.D.:
C.D. related two incidents which form the basis of the allegations contained in Count #2. She testified that she was in the garage at work sitting in a chair by a table and Mr. Simoes was leaning against a countertop […] where tools were located. She testified […] that they were there only a few minutes when Mr. Simoes took his penis out and said, “Come on, I want you to feel it”. C.D. testified that she reminded Mr. Simoes that he was married to Ms. [A.B.] and that she was employed by Ms. [A.B.] at the home. According to C.D. Mr.
Simoes kept persisting and moved toward her with his penis in his hand and […] positioned himself in front of her. C.D. testified that Mr. Simoes was trying to put his penis into her mouth until she pushed him away. [ 11 ] C.D. testified Mr. Simoes did manage to put a small portion of his penis into her mouth. The trial judge described the second incident, which occurred in the kitchen of the care home, as follows: C.D. testified that her co-worker, T.R., had left to pick up something to eat. As soon as T.R. was in her car Mr.
Simoes took his penis out, pushed her against the cupboards, put one arm around her waist and with the other hand tried to get her shorts off. She testified that she could feel his penis touching her leg and her butt. She said, “No, I’m not doing it and [T.R.] will be back any minute”. She testified that Mr. Simoes replied, “It will just be quick”. C.D. testified that the incident lasted about five minutes. […] C.D. testified that she never consented either to the garage or the kitchen incidents and never consented to being touched sexually by Mr.
Simoes. [ 12 ] On the question of consent, the trial judge noted “the only evidence before the Court on the issue of consent is that of the complainants” and “[t]he uncontradicted evidence of the complainants is that they did not consent to the activity in question” and concluded he “accept[ed] their evidence in this regard”. [ 13 ] No incident was alleged to have taken place in the presence of both complainants at the same time, or in the presence of anyone other than Mr. Simoes and the complainant identified in the particular count. III. Analysis A. Conviction appeal
(1) Did the trial judge err in law “by not considering each count separately”? (
a) Each count must be considered separately [ 14 ] Mr. Simoes submits the trial judge failed to consider each count separately to determine if the evidence in relation to a particular count proved his guilt on this count beyond a reasonable doubt. He contends the trial judge erroneously engaged in “cross-count reasoning,” impermissibly using the evidence on one count as evidence on the other count, as occurred in R. v. Thomas, 2019 BCCA 247 , [2019] B.C.J. No. 1280 (QL), a case I will discuss later.
He further asserts the convictions were reached by way of faulty reasoning; the trial judge erroneously applied similar fact reasoning in assessing the complainants’ evidence and credibility; and belief of one complainant resulted in belief of the other. [ 15 ] The indictment contained two counts.
It is a basic principle of criminal law that, generally, in a multi-count indictment, evidence relating exclusively to one count must not be put to probative use on other counts and cannot be used in determining the accused’s guilt on other counts unless the evidence is admissible as similar fact evidence. [ 16 ] This principle applies in all cases whether a matter is tried by judge alone (see Michaud v. R. , 2012 NBCA 77 , 397 N.B.R. (2d) 219) or by judge and jury (see Cote v. R. , 2003 NBCA 38 , 257 N.B.R. (2d) 194, per Drapeau C.J.N.B., as he then was).
In Michaud , Richard J.A., as he then was, writing for this Court, stated: […] Where severance is not ordered in a multi-count indictment, the evidence relating to each individual count is admitted, but it is admitted solely for the purpose of determining whether proof has been made of that particular count. The evidence cannot be considered
across all counts unless it is ruled admissible for such purpose on application of the similar fact evidence rule. […] [para. 27] [17] The “similar fact evidence” exception is not relevant here because the Crown did not apply tohave the evidence of the complainants treated as similar fact. [18] The parties are not at odds over the
interpretation of the principle or the related case law; the riftis whether the trial judge correctly applied this principle in this particular case. In his reasons, the trial judge did not articulate he wasinstructing himself concerning this principle nor specifically acknowledged he had applied it. [19] There is a presumption that trial judges know the law and deal properly with the facts. They neednot recite well-settled principles of law or demonstrate they have appreciated every aspect of the relevant evidence.
Furthermore, it isneither expected, nor required, that their reasons provide the equivalent of a jury instruction. In R. v. R.E.M., 2008 SCC 51, [2008] 3S.C.R. 3, McLachlin C.J., in reasons delivered for the Supreme Court, explained this as follows: Just as it is reasonable to infer that the trial judge seized the import of the evidence, it is generally reasonable to infer that the trial judgeunderstands the basic principles of criminal law at issue in the trial. Indeed, for this reason it has repeatedly been held that “[t]rial judgesare presumed to know the law with which they work day in and day out”: R. v.
Burns, (SCC), [1994] 1 S.C.R. 656, atp. 664, where the Court rejected the notion of a positive duty on trial judges to demonstrate that they have appreciated every aspect ofthe relevant evidence. The trial judge is not required to recite pages of “boilerplate” or review well-settled authorities in detail, andfailure to do so is not an error of law. As Binnie J. pointed out in Sheppard, at para. 55, point 7: Regard will be had to the time constraints and general press of business in the criminal courts. The trial judge is not held to some abstractstandard of perfection.
It is neither expected nor required that the trial judge’s reasons provide the equivalent of a jury instruction. This said, the presumption that trial judges are presumed to know the law with which they work on a day-in day-out basis does notnegate the need for reasons to show that the law is correctly applied in the particular case (Sheppard, at para. 55, point 9), nor the needfor reasons to deal [page23] with “troublesome principles of unsettled law” (Sheppard, at para. 55, point 6). [paras. 45 and 47] See also Wilson v.
R., 2013 NBCA 38, 412 N.B.R. (2d) 100, per Richard J.A., as he then was, at para. 36. [20] Additionally, R.E.M. addresses the amount of detail required in a trial decision to constitutesufficient reasons for meaningful appellate review. Referring again to R. v. Sheppard, 2002 SCC 26 , [2002] 1 S.C.R. 869,McLachlin C.J., for the Court, stated the following: […] To justify appellate intervention, the Court makes clear, there must be a functional failing in the reasons.
More precisely, thereasons, read in the context of the evidentiary record and the live issues on which the trial focussed, must fail to disclose an intelligiblebasis for the verdict, capable of permitting meaningful appellate review. [para. 53] (
b) The credibility of each complainant must be assessed separately [21] Regarding the actus reus element of the sexual assault offence, the live issue was thecredibility of the complainants. Each complainant’s credibility had to be assessed individually. At this stage of the analysis, the focus isonly on whether the trial judge accepts as credible the complainant’s testimony that she did not consent, in her own mind, to the sexualactivity in question.
And, while a complainant’s testimony is the only source of direct evidence as to her state of mind, credibility muststill be assessed by the trial judge in light of all available evidence. As this Court explained in Foster v. R., 2020 NBCA 7, [2020] N.B.J.No. 30 (QL): A complainant may say she did not consent; however, the trier of fact must decide beyond a reasonable doubt that this is true. At thisstage the question is purely one of credibility, which must be assessed by the trial judge in light of all available evidence, including the
complainant’s conduct before and during the sexual activity in question, any words or gestures, evidence of any ambiguous orcontradictory conduct by the complainant, and any other indication of the complainant’s state of mind at the time. If the trier of factaccepts the complainant’s testimony that she did not consent, no matter how strongly conduct may contradict her claim, the absence ofconsent is established and the third component of the actus reus of sexual assault is proved. At this point, the actus reus is complete. [para. 41] (
c) The trial judge’s reasons [22] In support of his submission that the trial judge failed to consider each count separately, Mr.Simoes points to several instances in the reasons where the trial judge refers to “the complainants,” “they” and “them”, instead of using“the complainant T.R.”, “the complainant C.D.”, “she” and “her.” This can be explained somewhat by the fact the legal principlesapplicable to each count — including the essential elements of both charges — were the same.
Likewise, the defence to both charges wasthe same: the complainants were not credible, but, if they were believed by the trial judge, then the defence of honest but mistaken beliefapplied. Additionally, there was evidence of a general nature relating to both complainants, and some comments made by the trial judgeapplied to both complainants.
However, the evidence that applied exclusively to one count, namely, the sexual activity that was thesubject-matter of this particular count, was completely different from the sexual activity related to the other count and the trial judge wasrequired to deal with this evidence separately. He did. [23] The trial judge compartmentalized the evidence applicable exclusively to each count andreviewed each complainant’s interactions with Mr. Simoes.
He stated, “T.R. related several particular incidents which form the basis ofthe allegations in Count #1 of the Indictment” and provided descriptions of the sexual activity relayed by T.R. Later in his reasons, thejudge turned to the evidence of the other complainant and stated, “C.D. related two incidents which form the basis of the allegationscontained in Count #2” and provided details relating to these two incidents as described by C.D. [24] Mr. Simoes argued the complainants should not be believed because they were deceitful.
Whileworking at the care home, C.D. was collecting income assistance and T.R. was collecting unemployment insurance benefits and living insubsidized housing, but neither reported her employment income from the care home. The trial judge resolved this credibility concern byconcluding: “While the complainants did not report their income, I do not view this deceit as emblematic of their testimony as a whole.” [25] Mr.
Simoes submitted when one viewed the incidents in the context of the ongoing sexualflirtation and the failure of the complainants to raise any objection with their employer, the logical inference was that the complainantsconsented to the sexual activity that was the subject-matter of the charges. The trial judge dismissed these arguments.
Concerning thesexual flirtation, he correctly remarked: “The complainant [sic] may have consented to the flirtatious behavior but that does not meanthat they consented to the unwanted sexual touching which forms the basis of the charges.” Concerning their lack of objection, he found“their failure to report the incidents promptly to their employer [was] completely reasonable in the circumstances. Their employer wasthe common-law partner of the perpetrator and they were understandably concerned about losing their jobs.” [26] Mr.
Simoes also suggested the complainants’ evidence was not reliable because they had time toconcoct it since they met to discuss the matter immediately before going to the police station together and they were close friends.Before this Court, Mr. Simoes submitted the trial judge failed to consider this evidence and his argument of possible collusion inassessing the complainants’ credibility and reliability because he did not mention it in his reasons. It was obvious the complainants werefriends and had daily contact at work and socialized together outside their working hours.
The trial judge was certainly alive to the factthat the credibility and reliability of each complainant was critical to finding whether the actus reus had been established on each count. While the trial judge did not specifically mention this evidence and related argument, it does not mean he did not consider it. There is noprinciple that imposes a positive duty on trial judges “to demonstrate in their reasons that they have completely appreciated each aspectof relevant evidence”: R. v. Burns, (SCC), [1994] 1 S.C.R. 656, [1994] S.C.J. No. 30 (QL), at p. 665.
Trial judges arenot obligated “to discuss all of the evidence on any given point and answer each and every argument of counsel”: R. v. Vuradin, 2013SCC 38, [2013] 2 S.C.R. 639, at para. 17. First-instance courts benefit from a rebuttable presumption that they considered and assessedall the material placed before them: Housen, at para. 46. (
d) Distinguishing R. v. Thomas [27] As noted, Mr. Simoes relies on the decision of the Court of Appeal for British Columbia in
Thomas , which dealt with a judge-alone trial involving three complainants where the accused had been charged with several offences including sexual offences that arose out of events that occurred on two different dates. On appeal, the Court quashed the convictions and ordered a new trial.
Concerning the sexual offences, the Court found the trial judge had erroneously used evidence that related only to one charge in making his decision on the other charge and had wrongly considered similarities between the complainants’ testimonies as a form of corroboration or confirmation in assessing their individual credibility and finding the appellant guilty: […] the trial judge did not distinguish between the evidence of third-party witnesses that may have carried relevance to more than one count on the Indictment, and the evidence of the complainants about their individual interaction with the appellant.
As fairly acknowledged by the respondent, the trial judge’s reasons raise the realistic possibility, if not likelihood, that similarities or consistencies between the evidence of the complainants in describing the circumstances surrounding sexual activity with the appellant played an integral role in the judge’s determination on credibility and, therefore, the guilty verdicts. [paras. 36-37] [ 28 ] In Thomas , it was apparent in the judge’s reasons that he had compared evidence across counts and there were clear indications he used one complainant’s evidence to bolster another’s credibility.
In his written submission, Mr. Simoes acknowledges the trial judge “did not specifically reference similarities between the evidence of each complainant” and there is no indication in the reasoning of the trial judge that he used the evidence of one complainant to assess the credibility of the other. (
e) No basis to displace the presumption that trial judges know the law [ 29 ] While it would have been helpful if the trial judge had provided some indication he was instructing himself that each count had to be treated separately, he was not required to do so. It is clear in his reasons that he applied the principle applicable to multi-count indictments. Concerning the sexual activity that was the basis of each count, he considered individually Mr.
Simoes’ interactions with each complainant, and each complainant’s conduct before and during the sexual activity in question, to determine whether the Crown had discharged its obligation on each count.
He reviewed separately, and in detail, the evidence that applied exclusively to T.R. on count #1 or to C.D. in relation to count #2 and gave no indication he was using the evidence on one count to bolster or support the evidence or credibility of the other complainant on the other count. [ 30 ] Sheppard reminds appellate courts that they are “not given the power to intervene simply because it thinks the trial court did a poor job of expressing itself” (para. 26) and gives examples of cases that may, by nature, require more detailed reasons. This was not one of them.
It did not involve “troublesome principles of unsettled law” or “confused and contradictory evidence on a key issue” (para. 55). This is not a case where various versions of events or important inconsistencies in either complainant’s testimony had to be reconciled. The present case is uncomplicated, both legally and factually. [ 31 ] We must assume that judges know the law unless their reasons show they do not. This would extend to a presumption that, in a multi-count indictment, judges know they must in general separately assess the evidence relevant to each count.
There is no basis in the present case to displace the presumption the trial judge knew the law. The reasons indicate the law was correctly applied. It is trite law that the appellant must demonstrate error. No passage has been drawn to our attention that would indicate the trial judge misunderstood the law as it applies to a multi-count indictment. [ 32 ] In this case, the judge’s reasons disclose “an intelligible basis for the verdict, capable of permitting meaningful appellate review” of the correctness of the decision (see R.E.M. , at para. 53 ). [ 33 ] The reasons for Mr. Simoes’ convictions are clear.
The central issue at trial was the credibility of each complainant. Considering all of the evidence, the trial judge accepted as credible each complainant’s testimony that the incidents relayed occurred and she did not consent, in her own mind, to the sexual activity in question and he rejected Mr. Simoes’ defence of mistaken belief, which I will discuss later. [ 34 ] As noted by Charron J., writing for the Supreme Court in R. v. Dinardo , 2008 SCC 24 , [2008] 1 S.C.R. 788: where credibility is a determinative issue, deference is in order and intervention will be rare (para. 26).
I am also mindful of the trial judge’s unique position to see and hear witnesses. [ 35 ] I would not accede to this first ground of appeal.
(2) Did the trial judge err in law by “failing to properly consider evidence relevant to the mens reaaspect, by looking only to direct evidence relating to ‘state of mind’” when considering the defence of honestbut mistaken belief in communicated consent? [36] In this case, the trial judge followed the proper approach explained by the Supreme Court in R. v.Barton, 2019 SCC 33, [2019] S.C.J. No. 33 (QL), that was applied by this Court in Foster.
Having first determined the Crown hadproven beyond a reasonable doubt the complainants had not consented to participate in the sexual activity in question, the trial judge thenproceeded to consider the defence of honest but mistaken belief in communicated consent, but rejected it, finding there was no air ofreality to this defence. [37] Mr. Simoes argues that this defence can be raised even though the accused does not testify. Iagree. It is not necessary for an accused to testify in order for the issue to be raised.
Support for the defence may come from anyevidence before the court, namely the Crown’s case-in-chief (including the testimony of complainants), as well as from evidence calledby the accused (see R. v. Ewanchuk, (SCC), [1999] 1 S.C.R. 330, [1999] S.C.J. No. 10 (QL), at para. 44). [38] In his written submission, Mr.
Simoes states the trial judge, “found there was no ‘air of reality’ tothe Defence of honest but mistaken belief because there was no direct evidence of [his] state of mind.” I cannot agree with this assertion.The trial judge correctly observed there was “no evidence submitted by the accused as to his actual state of mind, that is, whether hebelieved the complainants were consenting or not”, and he did conclude there was no air of reality to the defence raised. However, thereasons do not indicate he arrived at this conclusion “because there was no direct evidence of the state of mind of Mr.
Simoes.” [39] In Barton, Moldaver J., writing for the majority, addressed in some detail this defence and refinedthe judicial lexicon to refer to it as honest but mistaken belief in communicated consent, “to focus all justice participants on the crucialquestion of communication of consent and avoid inadvertently straying into the forbidden territory of assumed or implied consent” (para.92). [40] For the purposes of this defence, the focus “shifts to the mental state of the accused, and thequestion becomes whether the accused honestly believed ‘the complainant effectively said ‘yes’ through her words and/or actions’” (seeBarton, at para. 90, citing Ewanchuk, at para. 47) to engage in the sexual activity in question “at the time it occurred” (see Ewanchuk, atpara. 26).
Consent must be present at the time the sexual activity in question takes place. [41] The availability of this defence is not unlimited.
Section 273.1(2)(
d) of the Criminal Code makesit clear that “no consent is obtained if […] the complainant expresses, by word or conduct, a lack of agreement to engage in the activity”.While examining the actus reus of the offence, namely the issue of consent as it related to the state of mind of the complainants, the trialjudge found “not only did they not communicate any consent to the activity, they resisted and thereby actively communicated to theaccused that they were not consenting.” This finding is also relevant to the defence of mistaken belief in communicated consent becauses. 273.2(a)(iii) of the Code makes it clear that, in such a situation, the accused’s belief in consent is not a defence. [42] In order to rely on the defence of honest but mistaken belief in communicated consent, Mr.Simoes first had to demonstrate there was an air of reality to the defence; namely, that there was “evidence upon which a reasonable trierof fact acting judicially could find (1) that the accused took reasonable steps to ascertain consent and (2) that the accused honestlybelieved the complainant communicated consent” (see Barton, at para. 121). [43] Although the question of reasonable steps was neither argued by the parties at trial nor addressedby the trial judge in his reasons, the Crown submits, “the biggest problem facing the accused in his defence of honest but mistaken beliefin communicated consent was the total absence of any evidence of reasonable steps.” I agree. [44] The reasonable steps requirement under s. 273.2(
b) of the Criminal Code imposes a preconditionto this defence: “it is not a defence to a charge under
section 271 […] that the accused believed that the complainant consented to theactivity that forms the subject-matter of the charge, where […] the accused did not take reasonable steps […] to ascertain that thecomplainant was consenting.” The statutory language is clear: a mistake may be raised only if reasonable steps were taken to ascertainconsent; a failure to take reasonable steps is fatal to the defence. Moldaver J. puts it this way: “no reasonable steps, no defence” (seeBarton, at para. 104).
[ 45 ] T.R. testified about an incident that occurred in Mr. Simoes’ truck while it was parked in her driveway. She and Mr. Simoes were sitting in the truck, talking and having a cigarette. Mr. Simoes pulled her dress up a little and she pulled it back down. He pulled the strap of her dress down and she pulled it back up. Then, he lay on top of her with the upper half of his body across her, held on to her and would not let her get out of the truck. He repeatedly tried to touch her breasts and she repeatedly said “No, no” and stopped him with her arm.
This lasted about five minutes, until finally he let her out of the truck after she allowed him to touch her breasts, saying, “Well, you’re just not going to stop, you might as well touch it.” [ 46 ] Other than this specific incident, there were several other alleged incidents of sexual assault that the trial judge could, and did, rely on to find Mr. Simoes guilty of committing sexual assault on T.R.
However, he also believed T.R. when she testified that she did not consent to this specific sexual activity in her mind; this would include pulling her dress up, pulling her strap down, lying on top of her and touching her breasts. Mr.
Simoes raised the fact T.R. had allowed him to touch her breasts during this incident and argued in his written submission on appeal that, even if the trial judge believed T.R. had not consented to this in her mind, nevertheless, “this could well have been conduct so ‘ambiguous’ that it raised an honest but mistaken belief she was consenting” or at least gave an air of reality to his belief. There is no indication the trial judge accepted this argument and neither do I. [ 47 ] In the circumstances, once T.R. expressed an unwillingness to engage in sexual contact, as she did, Mr.
Simoes had to ensure that she had truly changed her mind — he had to take reasonable steps to ascertain consent — before proceeding with the sexual touching (see Ewanchuk , at para. 52 ). As expressed by the majority in Barton , certain things are clearly not reasonable steps: […] For example, steps based on rape myths or stereotypical assumptions about women and consent cannot constitute reasonable steps.
As such, an accused cannot point to his reliance on the complainant’s silence, passivity, or ambiguous conduct as a reasonable step to ascertain consent, as a belief that any of these factors constitutes consent is a mistake of law (see Ewanchuk , at para. 51 , citing M. (M.L.) ). Similarly, it would be perverse to think that a sexual assault could constitute a reasonable step (see Sheehy, at p. 518).
Accordingly, an accused’s attempt to “test the waters” by recklessly or knowingly engaging in non-consensual sexual touching cannot be considered a reasonable step. […] [para. 107] [ 48 ] An accused cannot rely on the myths and mistakes of law denounced in Barton , namely the legally erroneous notion of implied consent, broad advance consent or propensity to consent. The Court in Barton emphasized the important gatekeeper role trial judges play in keeping biases, prejudices and stereotypes out of the courtroom (para. 197).
The concept of implied consent, which rests on the assumption that a woman can be deemed to consent to any and all sexual activity unless and until she says “no”, protests or resists, has no place in Canadian law (see Barton , at para. 98 ). [ 49 ] Mr. Simoes’ defence rested largely on the notion that the relationship that existed between himself and the complainants, as well as the complainants’ past behaviour — namely, the sexual banter and flirtatious activity — led him to believe they were consenting to the sexual activity that forms the subject-matter of the charges.
Propensity reasoning is impermissible; therefore, “the accused cannot rest his defence on the false logic that the complainant’s prior sexual activities, by reason of their sexual nature, made her more likely to have consented to the sexual activity in question, and on this basis he believed that she consented” (see Barton , at para. 94 ) and it is also a mistake of law to infer that the complainant’s consent can be implied from the relationship between the parties ( ibid ., at para. 98). There is no defence of implied consent to sexual assault.
As the trial judge rightly concluded: “The complainant [ sic ] may have consented to the flirtatious behavior but that does not mean that they consented to the unwanted sexual touching which forms the basis of the charges.” [ 50 ] As noted, for an accused to advance the defence of mistaken belief, there must be an air of reality to his belief that the complainant communicated her affirmative consent by her words or actions. Ultimately, the defence is one of an “honest but mistaken belief in communicated consent”, not one of “reasonable steps”. The trial judge found there was no “evidence that if [Mr.
Simoes] held that belief, that [the complainants] had consented, that such belief was reasonable in the circumstances”. [ 51 ] In Barton , Moldaver J. explained if “there is no evidence upon which the trier of fact could find that the accused took reasonable steps to ascertain consent […] then there would be no reason to consider the presence or absence of reasonable grounds to support an honest belief in consent under s. 265(4), since the accused would be legally barred from raising the defence due to the operation of s. 273.2 (b)” (para. 112).
The record does not reveal any evidence upon which the trial judge could find that Mr. Simoes took reasonable steps to ascertain consent to any of the sexual activity that is the subject-matter of the charges. Therefore, Mr. Simoes could not claim he honestly believed either complainant had communicated her consent. The defence of honest but mistaken belief in communicated consent had no air of reality and the trial judge correctly rejected it.
[ 52 ] I would dismiss this ground of appeal. B. Sentence Appeal [ 53 ] Mr. Simoes requires leave from this Court to appeal his sentence. A deferential standard of review applies to the decisions of sentencing judges. An appellate court can intervene to vary a sentence only if: (1) the sentence is demonstrably unfit; or (2) the sentencing judge made an error in principle (which includes an error of law, a failure to consider a relevant factor, or an erroneous consideration of an aggravating or mitigating factor) and such an error had an impact on the sentence (see R. v. Friesen , 2020 SCC 9 , [2019] S.C.J.
No. 100 (QL), at para. 26 ). This Court has repeatedly applied these principles, notably in Steeves v. R. , 2010 NBCA 57 , 360 N.B.R. (2d) 88, at paras. 19-29 ; and R. v. LeBlanc , 2003 NBCA 75 , 264 N.B.R. (2d) 341, at para. 17 . [ 54 ] At trial, the Crown submitted that a sentence of twelve months’ imprisonment on each count, to be served consecutively, would be appropriate, while the defence maintained a global sentence of seven months would be fitting. On December 19, 2019, Mr. Simoes was sentenced to a net global sentence of 11 months and 13 days. [ 55 ] In his Amended Notice of Appeal, Mr.
Simoes sought leave to appeal his sentence on the ground that “it was excessive in the circumstances of the case.” The only argument raised in his written submission in support of this allegation was a bare assertion “that the totality principle was not properly engaged, as has been explained by this Court in R. v. Peterson , 2017 NBCA 29 .” In his reasons, the trial judge did reference, among all the other sentencing principles, the totality principle. [ 56 ] At the hearing before us, the sentence appeal was not argued. Mr. Simoes was not present at the hearing.
His counsel advised us it was her understanding that Mr. Simoes had been released from jail on September 5, 2020. [ 57 ] Mr. Simoes has failed to convince me the trial judge committed a reversible error in principle or the sentence was demonstrably unfit. As a result, I would dismiss his application for leave to appeal sentence. IV. Disposition [ 58 ] There is no basis for appellate intervention in this case. Accordingly, for the reasons provided, I would dismiss the appeal against conviction and deny leave to appeal the sentence. Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par LA JUGE LAVIGNE I.
Introduction et aperçu [1] Gerry Simoes a subi son procès à la Cour du Banc de la Reine devant un juge siégeant seul, qui l’a déclaré coupable relativement à deux chefs d’agression sexuelle ( al. 271a) du Code criminel ). Chaque chef énoncé dans l’acte d’accusation avait trait à une différente plaignante adulte, à savoir T.R. pour le premier chef et C.D. pour le second.
[2] La seule preuve dont disposait le juge du procès relativement à l’activité sexuelle faisant l’objet de chaque chef d’accusation consistait en les témoignages de T.R. relativement au premier chef et de C.D. relativement au second. Chaque plaignante a témoigné qu’elle n’avait pas consenti à ces activités sexuelles. Le principal argument de la défense au procès était que les plaignantes n’étaient pas crédibles et que le ministère public n’avait pas réussi à établir que l’activité sexuelle était non consensuelle. Le juge du procès a cru les témoignages non contredits des plaignantes. Même si M.
Simoes n’a pas témoigné, il a soulevé la défense de croyance sincère mais erronée au consentement communiqué. Le juge du procès a rejeté ce moyen de défense au motif qu’il était dépourvu de vraisemblance. [3] Le juge du procès a condamné M. Simoes à une peine d’emprisonnement de six mois relativement au premier chef d’accusation et de douze mois relativement au second, et il a ordonné que les peines soient purgées de façon consécutive. M. Simoes a obtenu un crédit de 201 jours pour la période passée en détention préventive, ce qui lui a donné une peine globale nette de 11 mois et 13 jours à purger.
Diverses ordonnances accessoires ont aussi été rendues. [4] M. Simoes interjette appel à présent de ses déclarations de culpabilité et demande, pour le cas où il serait débouté, l’autorisation d’interjeter appel de sa peine. En ce qui concerne l’appel de la déclaration de culpabilité, son principal argument est que le juge du procès a commis une erreur de droit [TRADUCTION] « en n’examinant pas chaque chef séparément ».
Il soutient aussi qu’il a commis une erreur de droit [TRADUCTION] « en omettant d’examiner convenablement la preuve ayant trait à la mens rea en s’en tenant à la preuve directe se rapportant à [TRADUCTION] “l’état d’esprit” » durant son analyse de la défense de croyance sincère mais erronée au consentement communiqué . S’agissant d’une question de droit, la norme de contrôle applicable est celle de la décision correcte : Housen c. Nikolaisen , 2002 CSC 33 , [2002] 2 R.C.S. 235, par. 8 . [5] M.
Simoes demande l’autorisation d’interjeter appel de sa peine globale en faisant valoir qu’elle [TRADUCTION] « était excessive dans les circonstances de l’affaire ». [6] Je n’ai pas été persuadée que le juge du procès ait commis une erreur, et encore moins qu’il ait commis une erreur qui justifierait l’annulation des déclarations de culpabilité ou une intervention à l’égard de la peine. Pour les motifs qui suivront, je suis d’avis de rejeter tant l’appel de la déclaration de culpabilité que la demande d’autorisation d’interjeter appel de la peine. II.
Contexte factuel [7] Pendant quelques mois en 2019, T.R. et C.D. travaillaient dans un petit foyer de soins spéciaux appartenant à A.B., la conjointe de fait de M. Simoes, et exploité par celle-ci. Même si M. Simoes n’était pas un employé du foyer de soins, il y effectuait des travaux d’entretien et diverses autres tâches. De plus, M. Simoes et sa conjointe habitaient dans une
annexe du foyer de soins. [8] T.R., C.D. et M. Simoes avaient des contacts quotidiens, lesquels comprenaient fréquemment du flirt et du badinage à caractère sexuel de la part des trois personnes. De plus, M.
Simoes, sa conjointe et les plaignantes socialisaient souvent ensemble à l’extérieur des heures de travail des plaignantes. [9] S’agissant du chef n o 1, le juge du procès a donné la description suivante des incidents précis d’agression dont T.R. a témoigné : [TRADUCTION] T.R. a relaté plusieurs incidents particuliers sur lesquels sont fondées les allégations contenues dans le chef d’accusation n o 1 de l’acte d’accusation. En premier lieu, T.R. a témoigné qu’elle était en train de ranger des vêtements à l’étage supérieur lorsque l’accusé est entré, l’a plaquée sur le lit et s’est allongé sur elle.
Elle a témoigné qu’elle n’arrêtait pas de lui dire de se lever et qu’il – qu’il est finalement descendu du lit et est descendu à l’étage inférieur. Elle a raconté un autre incident où, durant la nuit, M. Simoes l’a appelée pour lui demander si elle voulait aller fumer une cigarette avec lui. T.R. est montée dans le camion de M. Simoes, qui s’est étiré le bras vers elle pour remonter un peu sa robe. Selon T.R., il s’est ensuite allongé sur elle, la moitié supérieure de son corps sur le sien. Cela aurait duré peut-être cinq minutes. T.R. a témoigné qu’elle aurait interdit à M.
Simoes de lui toucher les seins alors qu’il était couché sur elle, mais qu’il [TRADUCTION] « continuait d’essayer de les toucher ». Finalement, elle lui a dit : [TRADUCTION] « Tu ne vas pas arrêter, donc touche-le. » Selon T.R., elle lui aurait donné cette prétendue permission pour qu’il arrête. T.R. a aussi relaté un incident où, encore une fois, elle était à l’étage supérieur du foyer et M. Simoes y est monté complètement nu en lui demandant de le regarder. T.R. a
témoigné qu’elle avait tenu une couverture devant elle pour cacher le corps de M. Simoes. Un autre incident est survenu pendant une nuit durant laquelle un des résidents était parti en scooter et n’était pas revenu. M. Simoes et elle sont allés à sa recherche à bord du camion de M. Simoes. T.R. a témoigné que M. Simoes l’avait plaquée contre le camion et lui avait dit : [TRADUCTION] « C’est aujourd’hui que nous allons baiser. »
T.R. a témoigné que, pour le faire arrêter, elle a fait semblant d’être intéressée d’avoir des rapports sexuels avec lui, mais elle lui a dit qu’elle était sale et avait besoin de se laver. Le dernier incident qu’elle a relaté est survenu soit le 5 ou le 6 août. T.R. a témoigné et que M me [A.B.] avait quitté la maison qu’elle était en train de nettoyer les planchers du salon lorsque M. Simoes l’a plaquée sur un pouf et qu’il lui a dit : [TRADUCTION] « Tu vas être ce genre de chienne aujourd’hui. » T.R. a témoigné que M.
Simoes l’avait plaquée, qu’elle était devenue très fâchée et qu’elle avait crié : [TRADUCTION] « Enlève-toi. » L’incident n’a pas duré très longtemps. T.R. a témoigné qu’elle n’avait consenti à aucune des activités relatées dans les incidents susmentionnés. [10] En ce qui concerne le chef n o 2, le juge du procès a décrit les deux incidents précis d’agression sexuelle dont a témoigné C.D. : [TRADUCTION] C.D. a relaté deux incidents sur lesquels sont fondées les allégations contenues dans le chef d’accusation n o 2.
Elle a témoigné qu’elle était dans le garage au travail, assise sur une chaise située près d’une table, alors que M. Simoes était penché sur un comptoir […] où se trouvaient des outils. Elle a témoigné […] qu’ils n’étaient là que pendant quelques minutes lorsque M. Simoes a sorti son pénis et lui a dit : [TRADUCTION] « Allez, je veux que tu le touches ». C.D. a témoigné qu’elle a rappelé à M. Simoes qu’il était marié à M me [A.B.] et qu’elle était employée par cette dernière pour travailler au foyer. Selon C.D., M. Simoes a persisté, s’est approché d’elle, son pénis en main, et […] s’est positionné devant elle.
C.D. a témoigné que M. Simoes avait essayé de lui mettre son pénis dans la bouche jusqu’à ce qu’elle le repousse. [11] C.D. a témoigné que M. Simoes avait en effet réussi à lui mettre une petite
partie de son pénis dans la bouche. Le juge du procès a décrit le second incident, qui s’est produit dans la cuisine du foyer de soins, dans les termes suivants : [TRADUCTION] C.D. a témoigné que sa collègue, T.R., était
partie chercher quelque chose à manger. Aussitôt T.R. dans sa voiture, M. Simoes a sorti son pénis, a plaqué C.D. contre les armoires, lui a mis un bras autour de la taille et, de l’autre main, a tenté de lui enlever son short. Elle a témoigné qu’elle pouvait sentir son pénis lui toucher la jambe et les fesses. Elle a dit : [TRADUCTION] « Non, je ne vais pas faire cela et [T.R.] sera de retour d’une minute à l’autre. » Elle a témoigné que M. Simoes lui a répondu : [TRADUCTION] « Ce sera rapide. »
C.D. a témoigné que l’incident a duré environ cinq minutes. […] C.D. a témoigné qu’elle n’avait consenti, tant durant l’incident dans le garage que celui dans la cuisine, à ce que M.
Simoes la touche sexuellement. [12] Quant à la question du consentement, le juge du procès a indiqué que [TRADUCTION] « la seule preuve dont dispose la Cour en ce qui concerne la question du consentement est celle des plaignantes » et que [TRADUCTION] « [l]a preuve non contredite des plaignantes est qu’elles n’ont pas consenti à l’activité en cause », et il a conclu qu’il [TRADUCTION] « accept[ait] leur preuve à cet égard ». [13] Personne n’a allégué qu’un incident avait eu lieu en présence des deux plaignantes en même temps, ou en présence d’une personne autre que M.
Simoes et la plaignante concernée par un chef d’accusation particulier. III. Analyse A. Appel de la déclaration de culpabilité
(1) Le juge du procès a-t-il commis une erreur de droit [TRADUCTION] « en n’examinant pas chaque chef séparément »?
a) Chaque chef doit être examiné séparément [14] M. Simoes avance que le juge du procès a omis d’examiner chaque chef séparément lorsqu’il a déterminé si la preuve relative à un chef particulier établissait, hors de tout doute raisonnable, la culpabilité de l’accusé à l’égard de ce chef. Il affirme que le juge du procès s’est, à tort, livré à un [TRADUCTION] « raisonnement interchef », en tenant compte, bien que ce soit inadmissible, de la preuve versée relativement à un chef dans son analyse portant sur l’autre chef, comme ce fut le cas dans l’arrêt R.
c. Thomas, 2019 BCCA 247, [2019] B.C.J. No. 1280 (QL), dont je traiterai plus loin. Il affirme en outre qu’il a été déclaré coupable enraison d’un raisonnement fautif, que le juge du procès a eu recours, à tort, au raisonnement des faits similaires dans son appréciation destémoignages et de la crédibilité des plaignantes, et que sa croyance à l’égard d’une des plaignantes a entraîné sa croyance à l’égard del’autre. [15] L’acte d’accusation contenait deux chefs.
Selon un principe fondamental du droit pénal, engénéral, dans un acte d’accusation renfermant plusieurs chefs, il faut éviter d’accorder à la preuve se rapportant exclusivement à l’un deschefs une valeur probante relativement aux autres chefs et de s’appuyer sur celle-ci afin d’établir la culpabilité de l’accusé relativementaux autres chefs, sauf si elle est admissible à
titre de preuve de faits similaires. [16] Ce principe s’applique à toute affaire, qu’elle soit instruite par un juge siégeant (voir Michaud c. R., 2012 NBCA 77, 397 R.N.-B. (2e) 219) ou par juge et jury (voir Cote c. R., 2003 NBCA 38, 257 R.N.-B. (2e) 194, le juge en chefDrapeau (tel était alors son titre)).
Dans l’arrêt Michaud, le juge d’appel Richard (tel était alors son titre), au nom de notre Cour, s’estexprimé ainsi : […] Si la séparation n’est pas ordonnée face à un acte d’accusation aux chefs multiples, la preuve relative à chacun des chefs est admise,mais la preuve relative à un chef donné ne servira qu’à déterminer si l’infraction imputée par ce chef est prouvée.
Elle ne peut être priseen considération pour statuer sur tous les chefs, à moins d’avoir été jugée admissible à cette fin par application de la règle de la preuvede faits similaires. […] [par. 28] [17] L’exception relative à la « preuve de faits similaires » n’est pas pertinente en l’espèce parce quele ministère public n’a pas demandé à la Cour de traiter les éléments de preuve présentés par les plaignantes comme des faits similaires. [18] Les parties n’ont pas adopté des positions incompatibles quant à l’interprétation à donner auprincipe ou à la jurisprudence y ayant trait.
Le désaccord se rapporte à la question de savoir si le juge du procès a correctement appliquéce principe en l’espèce. Il n’a pas indiqué, dans ses motifs, qu’il se renseignait au sujet de ce principe et n’a pas expressément reconnuqu’il l’avait appliqué. [19] Il existe une présomption voulant que les juges de première instance connaissent le droit ettraitent convenablement les faits. Ils n’ont pas besoin de réciter les principes de droit bien établis ni de démontrer qu’ils ont appréciéchaque aspect de la preuve pertinente.
Qui plus est, on ne s’attend pas, et il n’est pas nécessaire, que leurs motifs soient aussi précis queles directives adressées à un jury. Dans l’arrêt R. c. R.E.M., 2008 CSC 51, [2008] 3 R.C.S. 3, la juge en chef McLachlin, s’exprimant aunom de la Cour suprême, a expliqué ce qui suit : Tout comme il est raisonnable d’inférer que le juge du procès a saisi l’importance de la preuve, il est généralement raisonnable d’inférerqu’il comprend les principes fondamentaux du droit criminel en cause dans le procès.
C’est d’ailleurs pour cette raison qu’on a statué àplusieurs reprises que « [l]es juges du procès sont censés connaître le droit qu’ils appliquent tous les jours » : R. c. Burns, (SCC), [1994] 1 R.C.S. 656, p. 664, où la Cour a refusé l’idée d’imposer au juge du procès l’obligation positive de démontrer qu’il aapprécié chaque aspect de la preuve pertinente. Le juge du procès n’est pas tenu de réciter des pages de « formule standard » ni de revoiren détail la jurisprudence et la doctrine bien établies, et l’omission de le faire ne constitue pas une erreur de droit.
Comme le juge Binniel’a souligné dans Sheppard, par. 55, point 7 : Il faut tenir compte des délais et du volume des affaires à traiter dans les cours criminelles. Le juge du procès n’est pas tenu à unequelconque norme abstraite de perfection. On ne s’attend pas et il n’est pas nécessaire que les motifs du juge du procès soient aussiprécis que les directives adressées à un jury.
Cela dit, la présomption selon laquelle les juges du procès sont censés connaître le droit qu’ils appliquent tous les jours n’écarte pas lanécessité qu’il ressorte des motifs que le droit a été appliqué correctement dans l’affaire en particulier (Sheppard, par. 55, point 9), ni queles motifs traitent des « principes de droit qui posent problème et ne sont pas encore bien établis » (Sheppard, par. 55, point 6). [par. 45et 47] Voir aussi Wilson c. R., 2013 NBCA 38, 412 R.N.-B. (2e) 100, le juge d’appel Richard (tel était alors son titre), par. 36.
[20] On a de plus traité, dans l’arrêt R.E.M., de la quantité de détails nécessaires dans la décision d’unjuge de première instance afin que ses motifs suffisent pour permettre un véritable examen en appel. En invoquant encore une fois l’arrêtR. c.
Sheppard, 2002 SCC 26 , [2002] 1 R.C.S. 869, la juge en chef McLachlin a déclaré ce qui suit au nom de la Cour : […] Comme l’indique clairement la Cour, les motifs ne justifieront une intervention en appel que s’ils ne remplissent pas leurs fonctions.Il faut plus précisément que les motifs, considérés dans le contexte de la preuve versée au dossier et des questions en litige sur lesquellesétait axé le procès, ne révèlent pas de fondement intelligible qui sous-tende le verdict et permette un véritable examen en appel. [par. 53]
b) La crédibilité de chaque plaignante doit être évaluée séparément [21] S’agissant de l’actus reus de l’infraction d’agression sexuelle, la question en litige était celle dela crédibilité des plaignantes. La crédibilité de chaque plaignante devait être évaluée séparément. À ce stade-ci de l’analyse, il s’agituniquement de savoir si le juge du procès accepte comme crédible le témoignage de la plaignante qui affirme qu’elle n’a pas consenti,dans son esprit, à l’activité sexuelle en cause.
En outre, bien que le témoignage d’une plaignante soit la seule preuve directe de son étatd’esprit, le juge du procès doit néanmoins apprécier sa crédibilité à la lumière de l’ensemble de la preuve. Comme l’a expliqué notre Cour dans l’arrêt Foster c. R., 2020 NBCA 7, [2020] A.N.-B. no 30 (QL) : Une plaignante peut dire qu’elle n’a pas consenti; toutefois, le juge des faits doit conclure hors de tout doute raisonnable que cela estvrai.
À cette étape, il s’agit purement d’une question de crédibilité, laquelle doit être évaluée par le juge du procès à la lumière de toutela preuve connue, y compris la conduite de la plaignante avant et pendant l’activité sexuelle en question, toutes paroles ou tous gestes,toute preuve de conduite ambiguë ou contradictoire de la part de la plaignante et toute autre indication de l’état d’esprit de la plaignanteau moment pertinent.
Si le juge des faits accepte le témoignage de la plaignante voulant qu’elle n’ait pas consenti, peu importe à quelpoint sa conduite a pu contredire son assertion, l’absence de consentement est établie, et le troisième élément de l’actus reus del’agression sexuelle est prouvé. À ce point, l’actus reus est complet. [par. 41]
c) Les motifs du juge du procès [22] À l’appui de son assertion selon laquelle le juge du procès a omis d’examiner chaque chefséparément, M. Simoes souligne divers passages des motifs du juge du procès où ce dernier fait référence aux [TRADUCTION]« plaignantes » et se sert des pronoms [TRADUCTION] « elles » et [TRADUCTION] « leur » au lieu de dire [TRADUCTION] « laplaignante T.R. », [TRADUCTION] « la plaignante C.D. », [TRADUCTION] « elle », [TRADUCTION] « son » et [TRADUCTION]« lui ».
Cela s’explique en quelque sorte par le fait que les principes juridiques applicables à chaque chef – y compris les élémentsessentiels des deux accusations – étaient les mêmes. Dans le même ordre d’idées, la défense opposée aux deux accusations était lamême : les plaignantes n’étaient pas crédibles, mais, dans le cas où le juge du procès les croyait, alors la défense de croyance sincèremais erronée s’appliquait. De plus, il y avait des éléments de preuve de nature générale qui se rapportaient aux deux plaignantes etcertains commentaires faits par le juge du procès s’appliquaient aux deux plaignantes.
Toutefois, la preuve qui ne s’appliquait qu’à undes chefs d’accusation, à savoir l’activité sexuelle qui faisait l’objet d’un chef donné, était complètement différente de celle qui avait traità l’activité sexuelle visée par l’autre chef, et le juge du procès était tenu de traiter de cette preuve séparément, ce qu’il a fait. [23] Le juge du procès a séparé la preuve se rapportant exclusivement à chaque chef d’accusation et aexaminé les interactions entre chaque plaignante et M. Simoes.
Il a affirmé que [TRADUCTION] « T.R. a relaté plusieurs incidents particuliers sur lesquels sont fondées les allégations contenues dans le chef d’accusation no 1 de l’acte d’accusation » et a fourni lesdescriptions des activités sexuelles présentées par T.R. Plus loin dans ses motifs, le juge s’est penché sur la preuve de l’autre plaignanteet a affirmé que [TRADUCTION] « C.D. a relaté deux incidents sur lesquels sont fondées les allégations contenues dans le chef d’accusation no 2 », et il a donné des détails ayant trait à ces deux incidents décrits par C.D. [24] M.
Simoes a soutenu qu’il ne fallait pas croire les plaignantes parce qu’elles étaient malhonnêtes.Alors qu’elles travaillaient au foyer de soins, C.D. touchait des prestations d’aide au revenu et T.R. touchait des prestations d’assurance-emploi et vivait dans un logement subventionné, mais ni l’une ni l’autre ne déclaraient les revenus qu’elles tiraient de leur emploi aufoyer de soins.
Le juge du procès a réglé cette préoccupation en matière de crédibilité en tirant la conclusion suivante : [TRADUCTION]« Bien que les plaignantes n’aient pas déclaré leurs revenus, je ne considère pas cette tromperie comme emblématique de leurstémoignages dans leur ensemble. »
[25] Selon M. Simoes, lorsqu’on examine les incidents dans le contexte du badinage à caractèresexuel qui avait constamment lieu et du défaut des plaignantes de faire valoir une objection auprès de leur employeuse, on peutlogiquement inférer que les plaignantes avaient consenti à l’activité sexuelle faisant l’objet des accusations. Le juge du procès a rejetéces arguments.
S’agissant du badinage à caractère sexuel, il a fait, à juste titre, la remarque suivante : [TRADUCTION] « La plaignante[sic] a peut-être consenti aux comportements coquets, mais cela ne veut pas dire qu’elles avaient consenti aux attouchements sexuelsindésirés sur lesquels sont fondées les accusations. » En ce qui concerne l’absence d’objections, il a conclu que [TRADUCTION] « leurdéfaut de signaler rapidement les incidents à leur employeuse [était] complètement raisonnable dans les circonstances.
Leur employeuseétait la conjointe de fait de l’auteur du crime et elles craignaient naturellement de perdre leur emploi. » [26] M. Simoes a aussi laissé entendre que les témoignages des plaignantes n’étaient pas dignes de foiparce qu’elles avaient eu le temps de les concocter, étant donné qu’elles s’étaient rencontrées pour discuter de l’affaire immédiatementavant de se présenter ensemble au poste de police et qu’elles étaient des amies proches. Devant notre Cour, M.
Simoes a soutenu que lejuge du procès, en évaluant la crédibilité et la fiabilité des plaignantes, n’avait pas tenu compte de cette preuve ni de son argument selonlequel il y aurait possiblement eu collusion, étant donné qu’il n’en avait pas fait mention dans ses motifs. Il était évident que lesplaignantes étaient amies, qu’elles avaient des contacts quotidiens au travail et qu’elles socialisaient ensemble à l’extérieur de leursheures de travail.
Le juge du procès était certainement sensible au fait que la crédibilité et la fiabilité de chaque plaignante jouaient unrôle essentiel pour déterminer si l’actus reus avait été établi relativement à chaque chef d’accusation. Même si le juge du procès n’a pasexpressément mentionné cette preuve ou l’argument y afférent, cela ne veut pas dire qu’il n’en a pas tenu compte. Il n’existe aucunprincipe imposant au juge du procès l’obligation positive « de démontrer, dans ses motifs, qu’il a apprécié entièrement chaque aspect de la preuve pertinente » : R. c.
Burns, (SCC), [1994] 1 R.C.S. 656, [1994] A.C.S. no 30 (QL), p. 665. Le juge du procèsn’est pas tenu « de traiter de tous les éléments de preuve sur un point donné ou de répondre à chaque argument soulevé par les avocats » :R. c. Vuradin, 2013 CSC 38, [2013] 2 R.C.S. 639, par. 17. Les tribunaux de première instance jouissent d’une présomption réfutableselon laquelle ils ont étudié et évalué tous les éléments dont ils disposent : Housen, par. 46.
d) Distinguer la présente affaire de l’arrêt R. c. Thomas [27] Nous avons vu que M. Simoes invoque la décision rendue par la Cour d’appel de laColombie-Britannique dans l’affaire Thomas, qui porte sur un procès tenu devant un juge seul ayant trait à trois plaignantes et danslaquelle l’accusé avait été inculpé de plusieurs infractions, y compris des infractions sexuelles commises lors d’événements qui avaienteu lieu à deux dates différentes.
En appel, la Cour a annulé les déclarations de culpabilité et a ordonné la tenue d’un nouveau procès.S’agissant des infractions sexuelles, la Cour a conclu que le juge du procès s’était servi, à tort, d’éléments de preuve qui n’avaient traitqu’à un seul chef d’accusation en rendant sa décision sur l’autre, et qu’il avait erronément considéré les similitudes entre les témoignagesdes plaignantes comme une forme de corroboration ou de confirmation lorsqu’il avait apprécié leur crédibilité individuelle et déclarél’appelant coupable : [TRADUCTION][…] le juge du procès n’a pas établi de distinction entre les témoignages de tiers témoins qui auraient pu avoir une pertinence à l’égardde plus d’un chef de l’acte d’accusation, et ceux des plaignantes au sujet de leurs interactions individuelles avec l’appelant.
Comme l’a reconnu à juste
titre l’intimée, les motifs du juge du procès soulèvent la possibilité réaliste, sinon la probabilité, que lessimilitudes ou l’uniformité dans les témoignages des plaignantes en ce qui concerne leur description des circonstances de l’activitésexuelle avec l’appelant ont joué un rôle essentiel dans la décision du juge sur la crédibilité et, par conséquent, sur ses déclarations deculpabilité. [par. 36 et 37] [28] Dans l’arrêt Thomas, il ressort des motifs du juge qu’il avait comparé des éléments de preuve d’un chefd’accusation à l’autre, et il y avait des indications claires qu’il s’était servi du témoignage d’une plaignante pour renforcer la crédibilitéd’une autre.
Dans son mémoire, M. Simoes reconnaît que le juge du procès [TRADUCTION] « n’a pas expressément mentionné desimilitudes entre les témoignages de chaque plaignante », et rien n’indique, dans le raisonnement du juge du procès, que ce dernier s’estservi du témoignage de l’une des plaignantes pour apprécier la crédibilité de l’autre.
e) Aucun fondement permettant de réfuter la présomption voulant que les juges de première instance connaissent le droit [29] Même s’il aurait pu être utile que le juge du procès indique d’une manière quelconque qu’il serappelait que chaque chef d’accusation devait être traité séparément, il n’était pas tenu de le faire. Il est évident, dans ses motifs, qu’il aappliqué le principe s’appliquant aux actes d’accusation comportant de multiples chefs. S’agissant de l’activité sexuelle sur laquelle estfondée chaque accusation, il a séparément examiné les interactions entre M.
Simoes et chaque plaignante et la conduite de chaqueplaignante avant et durant l’activité sexuelle en cause afin de déterminer si le ministère public s’était acquitté de son obligation à l’égardde chaque chef d’accusation. Il a examiné séparément et en détail les éléments de preuve qui s’appliquaient exclusivement à T.R.
relativement au premier chef et à C.D. relativement au second chef et n’a aucunement indiqué qu’il se servait d’éléments de preuve ayanttrait à un chef d’accusation pour étayer ou soutenir la preuve relative à la crédibilité de l’autre plaignante quant à l’autre chefd’accusation. [30] L’arrêt Sheppard rappelle aux cours d’appel qu’elles « [ne sont] pas habilitée[s] à intervenirsimplement parce qu’elle[s] estime[nt] que le juge du procès s’est mal exprimé » (par. 26) et donne des exemples d’affaires qui, de parleur nature, pourraient exiger des motifs plus détaillés.
Il ne s’agit pas, dans le cas qui nous occupe, d’une telle affaire. Il n’est pasquestion en l’espèce de « principes de droit qui posent problème » ou d’« éléments de preuve embrouillés et contradictoires sur unequestion clé » (par. 55). Il ne s’agit pas non plus d’une affaire où il fallait concilier différentes versions des événements ou d’importantesincohérences entre les témoignages des deux plaignantes. La présente affaire n’est pas compliquée, ni sur le plan du droit ni sur le plandes faits. [31] Nous devons présumer que les juges connaissent le droit tant que leurs motifs démontrent que cen’est pas le cas.
Il faut donc présumer que, dans un acte d’accusation comportant plusieurs chefs, les juges savent qu’ils doiventgénéralement évaluer la preuve relative à chaque chef séparément. Rien en l’espèce ne permet de réfuter la présomption voulant que lejuge du procès connaisse le droit. Les motifs indiquent que le droit a été appliqué correctement. Il est bien établi en droit que l’appelantdoit démontrer qu’une erreur a été commise.
Aucun passage n’a été porté à notre attention qui indiquerait que le juge du procès ait malcompris le droit applicable aux actes d’accusations aux chefs multiples. [32] En l’espèce, les motifs du juge révèlent un « fondement intelligible qui sous-[tend] le verdict et[permet] un véritable examen en appel » de la justesse de la décision (voir R.E.M., par. 53). [33] Les motifs des déclarations de culpabilité de M. Simoes sont clairs. La question fondamentale auprocès était celle de la crédibilité de chaque plaignante.
Après avoir examiné la preuve dans son ensemble, le juge du procès a jugécrédible le témoignage de chaque plaignante selon lequel les incidents relatés se sont produits sans qu’il n’y ait consentement, dans sonesprit, à l’égard de l’activité sexuelle en cause, et il a rejeté la défense, soulevée par M.
Simoes, de croyance sincère mais erronée, surlaquelle je reviendrai. [34] Comme l’a remarqué la juge Charron, s’exprimant au nom de la Cour suprême dans l’arrêt R. c.Dinardo, 2008 CSC 24, [2008] 1 R.C.S. 788, lorsque la crédibilité est une question déterminante, il y aura lieu de faire preuve de retenueet il sera rarement justifié qu’une cour d’appel intervienne (par. 26). Je suis également consciente que le juge du procès jouit d’unavantage du fait qu’il observe et entend les témoins. [35] Je ne ferais pas droit à ce premier moyen d’appel.
(2) Le juge du procès a-t-il commis une erreur de droit [TRADUCTION] « en omettant d’examiner convenablement la preuve ayanttrait à la mens rea en s’en tenant à la preuve directe se rapportant à [TRADUCTION] “l’état d’esprit” » durant son analyse de la défensede croyance sincère mais erronée au consentement communiqué? [36] En l’espèce, le juge du procès a suivi la bonne démarche, expliquée par la Cour suprême dans l’arrêt R. c. Barton, 2019 CSC 33, [2019] A.C.S. no 33 (QL), que notre Cour a appliquée dans l’arrêt Foster.
Ayant d’abord déterminéque le ministère public avait établi hors de tout doute raisonnable que les plaignantes n’avaient pas consenti à participer à l’activitésexuelle en cause, le juge du procès a ensuite procédé à l’examen de la défense de croyance sincère mais erronée au consentementcommuniqué. Il a cependant rejeté ce moyen de défense au motif qu’il était dépourvu de vraisemblance. [37] M. Simoes soutient qu’un accusé peut soulever ce moyen de défense même s’il ne témoigne pas.Je suis du même avis. Il n’est pas nécessaire qu’un accusé témoigne pour que cette question soit soulevée.
Ce moyen de défense peuttrouver appui dans tout élément de preuve présenté à la Cour, à savoir dans la preuve principale du ministère public (y compris dans lestémoignages des plaignantes) ainsi que dans la preuve produite par l’accusé (voir R. c. Ewanchuk, (SCC), [1999] 1 R.C.S. 330, [1999] A.C.S. no 10 (QL), par. 44). [38] Dans son mémoire, M. Simoes affirme que le juge du procès [TRADUCTION] « a conclu que ladéfense de croyance sincère mais erronée était [TRADUCTION] “dépourvue de vraisemblance” parce qu’il n’y avait aucune preuve de[l’] état d’esprit [de l’accusé] ». Je ne saurais souscrire à cette assertion.
Le juge du procès a observé, à juste titre, qu’il n’y avait
[TRADUCTION] « aucune preuve présentée par l’accusé en ce qui concerne son véritable état d’esprit, c’est-à-dire sur la question de savoir s’il croyait que les plaignantes consentaient ou non », et il a effectivement conclu que le moyen de défense soulevé était dépourvu de vraisemblance. Toutefois, les motifs du juge n’indiquent pas qu’il soit parvenu à cette conclusion [TRADUCTION] « parce qu’il n’y avait aucune preuve directe de l’état d’esprit de M.
Simoes ». [39] Dans l’arrêt Barton , le juge Moldaver, s’exprimant au nom de la majorité, a effectué un examen assez approfondi de ce moyen de défense et a affiné la terminologie juridique en le désignant par l’expression croyance sincère mais erronée au consentement communiqué , pour « faire en sorte que tous les intervenants du système de justice mettent l’accent sur la question vitale de la communication du consentement et évitent de s’aventurer, par inadvertance, sur le terrain interdit du consentement présumé ou tacite » (par. 92). [40] Ce moyen de défense fait porter l’analyse sur « l’état d’esprit de l’accusé, la question [étant] alors de savoir si l’accusé croyait sincèrement “que le plaignant avait vraiment dit ‘oui’ par ses paroles, par ses actes, ou les deux” » (voir Barton , par. 90 , citant Ewanchuk , par. 47 ) à sa participation à l’activité sexuelle en cause « lorsqu’[elle a] eu lieu » (voir Ewanchuk , par. 26 ).
Le consentement doit être présent au moment où l’activité sexuelle en cause a lieu. [41] L’applicabilité de cette défense n’est pas illimitée. L’ alinéa 273.1(2)
d) du Code criminel indique clairement qu’« il n’y a pas de consentement du plaignant [s’il] manifeste, par ses paroles ou son comportement, l’absence d’accord à l’activité ». En examinant l’ actus reus de l’infraction, à savoir la question du consentement en ce qui concerne l’état d’esprit des plaignantes, le juge du procès a conclu que [TRADUCTION] « non seulement elles n’ont pas communiqué leur consentement à l’activité, mais elles ont aussi résisté et par conséquent activement communiqué à l’accusé qu’elles n’y consentaient pas ».
Cette conclusion est aussi pertinente relativement à la défense de croyance sincère mais erronée au consentement communiqué, parce que le ss.- al. 273.2a) (iii) du Code criminel indique clairement que, dans une telle situation, la croyance de l’accusé au consentement ne constitue pas un moyen de défense. [42] Afin d’invoquer la défense de croyance sincère mais erronée au consentement communiqué, M.
Simoes devait d’abord établir que ce moyen de défense était vraisemblable, c’est-à-dire qu’il existait « une preuve qui permette à un juge des faits raisonnable agissant d’une manière judiciaire de conclure (1) que l’accusé a pris des mesures raisonnables pour s’assurer du consentement et (2) que l’accusé croyait sincèrement que le plaignant avait communiqué son consentement » (voir Barton , par. 121 ). [43] Même si la question des mesures raisonnables n’a été ni soulevée par les parties lors du procès ni abordée par le juge du procès dans ses motifs, le ministère public soutient que [TRADUCTION] « le problème le plus important auquel l’accusé fait face relativement à sa défense de croyance sincère mais erronée au consentement communiqué est l’absence totale de toute preuve de mesures raisonnables ».
Je suis du même avis. [44] L’obligation de prendre des mesures raisonnables prescrite à l’ al. 273.2b) du Code criminel impose une condition préalable à ce moyen de défense : « Ne constitue pas un moyen de défense contre une accusation fondée sur [l’]articl[e] 271 […] le fait que l’accusé croyait que le plaignant avait consenti à l’activité à l’origine de l’accusation lorsque, selon le cas […] il n’a pas pris les mesures raisonnables […] pour s’assurer du consentement ».
Le libellé du Code criminel est clair : on ne peut soutenir qu’une erreur a été commise que si des mesures raisonnables ont été prises afin de s’assurer du consentement; l’omission de prendre des mesures raisonnables fait échouer le moyen de défense. Comme l’a dit le juge Moldaver : « l’absence de mesures raisonnables emporte exclusion de ce moyen de défense » (voir Barton , par. 104 ). [45] T.R. a témoigné au sujet d’un incident survenu dans le camion de M. Simoes alors qu’il était stationné dans sa voie d’accès pour autos. M.
Simoes et elle étaient assis dans le camion, où ils discutaient et fumaient une cigarette. M. Simoes a remonté sa robe un peu et elle l’a rabaissée. Il a baissé la bretelle de sa robe et elle l’a remontée. Puis, il s’est allongé sur elle, la moitié supérieure de son corps sur le sien, s’est accroché à elle et ne la laissait pas sortir du camion. Il a tenté de lui toucher les seins de manière répétée et elle lui a dit « non, non » et l’a arrêté de son bras à plusieurs reprises.
Cela a duré à peu près cinq minutes, jusqu’à ce que finalement, il l’ait laissée sortir de son camion après qu’elle l’eût laissé lui toucher les seins, en lui disant : [TRADUCTION] « Eh bien, tu ne vas simplement pas arrêter, tu es aussi bien d’y toucher. » [46] À
part cet incident précis, il y avait eu plusieurs autres allégations d’incidents d’agression sexuelle sur lesquels le juge du procès pouvait s’appuyer pour déclarer M. Simoes coupable d’agression sexuelle sur la personne de T.R., et sur lesquels il s’est effectivement appuyé. Toutefois, il a aussi cru T.R. lorsqu’elle a témoigné qu’elle n’avait pas consenti, dans son esprit, à cette occurrence précise d’activité sexuelle, y compris lorsque l’accusé a remonté sa robe et baissé sa bretelle, lorsqu’il s’est allongé sur elle et lorsqu’il lui a touché les seins. M.
Simoes a soulevé le fait que T.R. lui avait permis de lui toucher les seins pendant cet incident et a soutenu, dans son mémoire d’appel, que même si le juge du procès avait cru que T.R. n’y avait pas consenti dans son esprit, il s’agissait néanmoins [TRADUCTION] « d’une conduite qui aurait pu être si “ambiguë” qu’elle donnait naissance à une
croyance sincère mais erronée de son consentement » ou, du moins, donnait un air de vraisemblance à sa croyance. Rien n’indique que le juge du procès ait accepté cet argument, et je ne l’accepte pas non plus. [47] Dans les circonstances, dès que T.R. a fait valoir qu’elle ne voulait pas se livrer au contact sexuel comme elle l’a fait, M. Simoes devait vérifier si elle avait réellement changé d’avis – il devait prendre des mesures raisonnables pour s’assurer de son consentement – avant de procéder aux attouchements sexuels (voir Ewanchuk , par. 52 ).
Comme l’a exprimé la majorité dans l’arrêt Barton , certaines mesures ne constituent manifestement pas des mesures raisonnables : […] Par exemple, les mesures qui reposent sur les mythes liés au viol ou sur les présomptions stéréotypées au sujet des femmes et du consentement n’ont aucunement un caractère raisonnable.
Ainsi, l’accusé ne saurait prétendre que le fait de se fier au silence, à la passivité ou au comportement ambigu de la plaignante est une mesure raisonnable pour s’assurer du consentement, car le fait de croire que l’un ou l’autre de ces facteurs emporte consentement constitue une erreur de droit (voir Ewanchuk , par. 51 , citant M. (M.L.) ). Dans le même ordre d’idées, il serait pour le moins abusif de penser qu’une agression sexuelle puisse constituer une mesure raisonnable (voir Sheehy, p. 518).
Par conséquent, la tentative de l’accusé de [ traduction ] « tâter le terrain » en se livrant sciemment ou inconsidérément à des attouchements sexuels non consensuels ne saurait être considérée comme une mesure raisonnable. […] [par. 107] [48] Un accusé ne peut se fier aux mythes ou aux erreurs de droit dénoncés dans l’arrêt Barton , à savoir les notions erronées en droit de consentement tacite, de consentement général donné à l’avance et de propension à consentir.
La Cour, dans l’arrêt Barton , a mis l’accent sur l’important rôle de gardien du processus judiciaire que joue le juge du procès dans le fait de garder les partis pris, les préjugés et les stéréotypes en dehors de la salle d’audience (par. 197). Le concept du consentement tacite, lequel repose sur la présomption voulant qu’une femme puisse être réputée consentir à toute activité sexuelle jusqu’à ce qu’elle dise « non » ou à moins qu’elle proteste ou résiste, n’a pas sa place en droit canadien (voir Barton , par. 98 ). [49] Le moyen de défense soulevé par M.
Simoes était largement fondé sur la notion que la relation qui existait entre les plaignantes et lui, ainsi que les comportements antérieurs des plaignantes – à savoir le badinage à caractère sexuel et le flirt – l’ont porté à croire qu’elles consentaient à l’activité sexuelle à l’origine des accusations.
Un raisonnement quant à la propension est inadmissible, donc « [l]’accusé ne saurait fonder sa défense sur la logique défectueuse que le comportement sexuel antérieur de la plaignante, de par sa nature, rendait cette dernière davantage susceptible d’avoir consenti à l’activité sexuelle en question, et qu’il avait cru pour cette raison à son consentement » (voir Barton , par. 94 ), et le fait d’inférer que le consentement de la plaignante était implicite, compte tenu de la relation entre les parties, constitue aussi une erreur de droit ( ibid ., par. 98).
La défense de consentement tacite n’existe pas en matière d’agression sexuelle. Comme l’a conclu à juste
titre le juge du procès : [TRADUCTION] « La plaignante [ sic ] a peut-être consenti aux comportements coquets, mais cela ne veut pas dire qu’elles avaient consenti aux attouchements sexuels indésirés sur lesquels sont fondées les accusations. » [50] Comme nous l’avons vu, pour qu’un accusé puisse invoqu