2019 NBCA 72, 2019 NBCA 72
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK NOËL AYANGMA APPELLANT 22-19-CA NOËL AYANGMA APPELANT - and - - et - UNIVERSITÉ DE MONCTON, MONCTON CAMPUS RESPONDENT UNIVERSITÉ DE MONCTON, CAMPUS DE MONCTON INTIMÉE Ayangma v. Université de Moncton, Moncton Campus, 2019 NBCA 72 Ayangma c.
Université de Moncton, Campus de Moncton, 2019 NBCA 72 CORAM: The Honourable Chief Justice Richard The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice Baird CORAM : l’honorable juge en chef Richard l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge Baird Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: February 13, 2019 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : le 13 février 2019 History of case: Decision under appeal: 2019 NBQB 30 Preliminary or incidental proceedings: None Historique de la cause : Décision frappée d’appel : 2019 NBBR 30 Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : aucune
Appeal heard: June 17, 2019 Judgment rendered: October 10, 2019 Appel entendu : le 17 juin 2019 Jugement rendu : le 10 octobre 2019 Counsel at hearing: Noël Ayangma, on his own behalf For the respondent: Sacha Denis Morisset Avocats à l’audience : Noël Ayangma, en son propre nom Pour l’intimée : Sacha Denis Morisset THE COURT The appeal is dismissed with costs of $2,500. LA COUR L’appel est rejeté avec dépens qui sont fixés à 2 500 $. The following is the judgment delivered by THE COURT I. Introduction [ 1 ] Mr.
Ayangma appeals a motion judge’s decision which declared him to be a vexatious litigant and dismissed his civil action against the Université de Moncton on the basis it was statute barred. This is a companion decision to Ayangma v. Université de Moncton , Moncton Campus et al. , 2019 NBCA 73 . II. Background [ 2 ] Mr. Ayangma was a part-time professor at the Université de Moncton (“Université”) . He unsuccessfully
applied for a permanent position and asserts the Université discriminated against him by hiring an individual, who, he states, does not possess the necessary qualifications as advertised in the competition. He subsequently filed a complaint with the New Brunswick Human Rights Commission in which he accused the Université of discriminatory conduct based on his race, colour and age. The Commission dismissed the complaint. An application for judicial review of the Commission’s decision was dismissed by a judge of the Court of Queen’s Bench. This decision was unsuccessfully appealed to this Court ( see Ayangma v.
Université de Moncton , Moncton Campus , 2019 NBCA 14 , [2019] N.B.J. No. 28 (QL) ). [ 3 ] Following the dismissal of his human rights complaint, Mr. Ayangma initiated civil proceedings against the Université, in which he claimed damages for what he asserts was willful/negligent conduct by the Université, misrepresentation, bad faith and an alleged breach of the Charter . The Université defended the action. [ 4 ] On February 20, 2018, Mr.
Ayangma served and filed his affidavit of documents and served Notice, pursuant to Rule 31.03(1), on the Université, requiring it to serve and file an affidavit of documents and to produce the documents in its possession and control. [ 5 ] On May 1, 2018, the Université produced a draft affidavit of documents. Mr. Ayangma contended the draft affidavit of documents was not Rules -compliant. He filed a motion on May 10, 2018, in which he sought an order requiring the Université to file a Rules -compliant affidavit of documents.
The motion was set down for hearing on October 5, 2018. [ 6 ] On September 14, 2018, the Université filed a motion to strike the pleadings under Rule 22.01, and/or for
summary judgment. It also sought to have Mr. Ayangma declared a vexatious litigant pursuant to Rule 76.1.04. Both motions were scheduled to be heard on October 5, 2018. [ 7 ] At the outset of the hearing, the judge mentioned there was a further hearing before him on December 17, 2018, relating to a judicial review of an arbitrator’s decision which involved Mr. Ayangma. Mr.
Ayangma immediately raised concerns about the judge’s ability to be neutral and impartial as a result of these extemporaneous comments. [ 8 ] The motions were adjourned by consent to December 17, 2018, pending the issuance of reasons in a related appeal before this Court, as noted. Meanwhile, Mr. Ayangma filed a further motion in which he asked the motion judge to recuse himself. All motions were returnable December 17, 2018. [ 9 ] On December 17, 2018, Mr. Ayangma’s recusal motion was heard first and was dismissed by way of an oral decision.
The motion judge then heard the remaining two motions and he rendered a written decision dated February 13, 2019. [ 10 ] In the February 13 decision, the motion judge dismissed Mr. Ayangma’s action by way of
summary judgment under Rule 22. He did so upon finding the action was statute-barred. Having made this determination, it was not necessary for the judge to rule on the Rule 31.03(1) issue. In his decision, originally issued in only the French language, the judge declared Mr. Ayangma to be a vexatious litigant. III. Grounds of Appeal [ 11 ] Mr. Ayangma seeks a reversal of the motion judge’s decision. His various grounds of appeal can be condensed to the following:
a) The motion judge’s decision violated s. 24(1) of the Official Languages Act , S.N.B. 2002, c. O-0.5 , as it was published in one official language;
b) The motion judge erred in law by granting
summary judgment pursuant to Rule 22.01 because the Université failed to provide an affidavit of documents as required, despite having been served with notice pursuant to Rule 31.03, and the decision to grant
summary judgment was made before deciding the issue of disclosure;
c) The motion judge erred in law when he determined Mr. Ayangma’s action was statute barred pursuant to the Limitation of Actions Act , S.N.B. 2009, c. L-8.5 ;
d) The motion judge erred in law by restricting the appellant’s right to access to the court when he declared him to be a vexatious litigant;
e) The motion judge was biased and should have recused himself. IV. Standard of Review [ 12 ] For grounds of appeal that raise questions of law, the standard of review is correctness. For those that raise either a question of fact or mixed law and fact regarding which there is no extricable error of law, the standard of review is palpable and overriding error. V. Analysis A. Violation of the Official Languages Act [ 13 ] The judicial review decision was first published in the French language on February 13, 2019, and in the English language on March 8, 2019. Mr.
Ayangma submits the decision should have been published in both official languages simultaneously, because the proceedings were conducted in both languages. This ground was not pursued before us. In his written submission, Mr.
Ayangma did not contend the judge’s failure to issue his decision first in one language only invalidated the decision, but he argued that “this type of conduct requires some strong condemnation or direction from this Court, so that it does not happen again.” [ 14 ] As a general rule, the final decision should have been published simultaneously in both official languages, unless it was determined by the judge that to do so would result in a delay, injustice or hardship, as contemplated in s. 24 of the Act .
When such a determination is made, the decision can be published in one official language, and thereafter, at the earliest possible time, in the other language. [ 15 ] As noted, in this case, the judge initially published his decision in the French language only. Had the judge made the determination to publish in one official language first, and later, in the other official language, on account of one or more of the factors set out in s. 24(2), he should have stated his reasons for doing so in his decision. He did not and we agree with Mr. Ayangma that he should have. B.
Summary Judgment [ 16 ] Mr. Ayangma contends the motion judge should not have granted
summary judgment because the respondent failed to produce a Rules -compliant affidavit of documents. [ 17 ] In Whelton v. Mercier et al. , 2004 NBCA 83 , 277 N.B.R. (2d) 251 , Drapeau, C.J.N.B. (as he then was) for the Court stated as follows:
The delivery of an affidavit compliant with Rule 31.03(4) should lead to the disclosure of every document related to a matter in issue.Armed with this affidavit, the adverse party can insist that documents of interest to him or her be produced. Through production of thosedocuments, he or she can acquire a thorough understanding of the case. An Affidavit of Documents that complies with the Rules of Courtis generally indispensable in uncovering the truth. This is particularly so in cases such as the present, where the answers to controversialquestions lie deep within documents held exclusively by one party. In cases of this nature, motions for
summary judgment should, as ageneral rule, be dismissed with costs if the moving party has not complied with the requirements of Rule 31. [para. 26] [18] In the present case, the judge granted
summary judgment to the Université despite its failure to comply withRule 31. Generally, this should have served to dismiss its motion for
summary judgment. Nevertheless, we conclude this was one ofthose exceptional cases in which the judge could grant judgment notwithstanding the Université’s non-compliance. Thus, because thebasis upon which
summary judgment was granted – that the action is prescribed – is not dependent upon the disclosure of anydocuments. The limitation period was either met or it was not, and all information in this regard would necessarily have already been inthe possession of Mr. Ayangma. C. Limitation of action [19] Mr. Ayangma filed grievances in which he alleged the Université violated the collective agreement between2013-2015 and “more recently,” May 12, 2015, by abusing its authority, “intimidation, lack of professional ethics, defamation,harassment and discrimination.” [20] In the grievance document, Mr.
Ayangma raised serious allegations of harassment and discrimination against aprofessor. He writes: [TRANSLATION] Finally, I also maintain that I have been a victim of discrimination in employment, particularly with respect to the staffing of the positionof professor of human resources management in the Department of Business Administration, filled in 2014, while Professor [V.K.] wasboth chair of the selection panel and Director of the Department of Business Administration. [para. 11] [21] In para. 26 of his statement of claim, Mr.
Ayangma acknowledged he applied for the advertised position onJanuary 7, 2014, and did not get an interview. On May 28, 2015, he wrote to Mr. Terrance J. LeBlanc, the employer’s representative forthe Université, and asserted the successful candidate did not have the qualifications, as advertised in 2013, for the position in question;notably she did not have a PhD. [22] The Court in Dupuis v. City of Moncton, 2005 NBCA 47, 284 N.B.R. (2d) 97, quoting Central Trust Co. v.Rafuse, (SCC), [1986] 2 S.C.R. 147, [1986] S.C.J.
No. 52 (QL), at p. 224, concluded: ... [A] cause of action arises for purposes of a limitation period when the material facts on which it is based have been discovered orought to have been discovered by the plaintiff by the exercise of reasonable diligence. ... [para. 29] See also Kamloops v. Nielsen, (SCC), [1984] 2 S.C.R. 2, [1984] S.C.J. No. 29 (QL), at pp. 36-41. [23]
Section 5 of the Limitation of Actions Act, S.N.B. 2009, c. L-8.5 provides:
General limitation periods 5(1) Unless otherwise provided in this Act,no claim shall be brought after the earlier of (
a) two years from the day on which theclaim is discovered, and (
b) fifteen years from the day on which theact or omission on which the claim is basedoccurred. 5(2) A claim is discovered on the day onwhich the claimant first knew or oughtreasonably to have known (
a) that the injury, loss or damage hadoccurred, (
b) that the injury, loss or damage was causedby or contributed to by
an act or omission,and (
c) that the act or omission was that of thedefendant. Délais de prescription ordinaires 5(1) Sauf disposition contraire de la présenteloi, toute réclamation se prescrit par celui desdélais ci-dessous qui expire le premier :
a) deux ans à compter du jour où sontdécouverts les faits y ayant donné naissance;
b) quinze ans à compter du jour où a eu lieul’acte ou l’omission sur lequel elle est fondée. 5(2) Les faits ayant donné naissance à laréclamation sont découverts le jour où leréclamant a appris ou aurait dû normalementapprendre :
a) que sont survenus les préjudices, les pertesou les dommages;
b) que les préjudices, les pertes ou lesdommages ont été causés entièrement ou enpartie par un acte ou une omission;
c) que l’acte ou l’omission était le fait dudéfendeur. [24] In this case, the Université argues that Mr. Ayangma knew he was the unsuccessful candidate when hereceived notice from the Université by letter dated March 3, 2014. [25] In his reasons, the motion judge determined that [TRANSLATION] “[t]here is no question Mr. Ayangmaknew no later than May 12, 2015, that the position had been filled on July 1, 2014” (para. 16). He dismissed the civil action, finding itwas statute barred. In doing so, he found Mr. Ayangma was advised on March 3, 2014, that his application was rejected. Mr.
Ayangmafiled his grievance challenging the Université’s decision on May 12, 2015. Mr. Ayangma’s action was filed on May 29, 2017. These arefindings of fact for which deference will be accorded in the absence of palpable and overriding error. [26] In Miramichi Lumber Products Inc. et al. v. Province of New Brunswick, as represented by the Department ofEnergy and Resource Development et al., 2019 NBCA 61, [2019] N.B.J.
No. 202 (QL), Quigg J.A. writes: With respect to the conclusion of the application judge that the Application was time-barred, the jurisprudence consistently establishesthat the question of whether a legal proceeding is time-barred is one of mixed fact and law which cannot be interfered with absentpalpable and overriding error (Guarantee Co. of North America v. Gordon Capital Corp., (SCC), [1999] 3 S.C.R. 423,[1999] S.C.J. No. 60 (QL), at para. 28; Longo v. MacLaren Art Centre, 2014 ONCA 526, [2014] O.J. No. 3242 (QL), at paras. 38-39;Crombie Property Holdings Limited v.
McColl-Frontenac Inc. (Texaco Canada Limited), 2017 ONCA 16, [2017] O.J. No. 142 (QL), atpara. 31 (leave to appeal to S.C.C. refused, [2017] S.C.C.A. No. 85); and Fehr v. Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada, 2018 ONCA
718, [2018] O.J. No. 4513 (QL), at para. 143). In Longo, Hourigan J.A. stated: The question of whether a limitation period expired prior to the issuance of a statement of claim is a question of mixed fact and law.Thus, the issue for determination on this appeal is whether the motion judge made a palpable and overriding error in concluding that theclaim was statute barred. A palpable and overriding error is an obvious error that is sufficiently significant to vitiate the challenged finding of fact.
The appellantmust show that the error goes to the root of the challenged finding of fact such that the fact cannot safely stand in the face of the error:Waxman v. Waxman (2004), (ON CA), 186 O.A.C. 201, at p. 267 (C.A.), leave to appeal refused, [2004] S.C.C.A.No. 291. [paras. 38-39] [para. 12] [27] Mr. Ayangma argues the limitation period should be six years, on the basis he raised a Charter violation in hispleadings, and that the time for filing his civil action commenced when he received the decision of the Human Rights Commission.
Themotion judge correctly observed that the same argument was unsuccessfully raised by Mr. Ayangma in Ayangma v. Canada HealthInfoway, 2017 PECA 13, [2017] P.E.I.J. No. 23 (QL). In that case, the court was faced with a similar set of facts and it concluded Mr.Ayangma’s civil action was statute barred, as he did not file his claim until July 21, 2015, after the matters had been dealt with by theHuman Rights Commission, and the two-year limitation period had expired.
Similarly, in this case, the judge concluded that claimswhere Charter violations are raised, are subject to provincial periods of general application, which in New Brunswick is two years. SeeCoffey v. Fraser Valley (Regional District), 2018 BCSC 959, [2018] B.C.J. No. 1113 (QL). [28] The motion judge’s conclusion is supported by the evidence. It is our view the motion judge did not err in law,nor did he make a palpable and overriding error which would allow for appellate intervention. D. Vexatious litigant order [29] The Université sought and was granted an order pursuant to Rule 76.1.04.
An order made pursuant to this Ruleprohibits a party from commencing any further proceedings in the Court of Queen’s Bench or the Small Claims Court, or continuing aproceeding previously commenced in those courts, except with leave.
In considering whether to make such an order, a judge mayconsider if a similar order has been made against that person by any other court, including a court outside New Brunswick, and a judgemay also consider whether that person has persistently and without reasonable grounds commenced proceedings in any other court,including a court outside New Brunswick (Rule 76.1.02(2)). [30] In Bossé v. Caisse populaire acadienne Ltée, [2018] N.B.J. No. 164 (QL) this Court discussed the above Rulein depth. It states: In Greene v.
New Brunswick, 2014 NBQB 168, 428 N.B.R. (2d) 204, Glennie J. established a framework for the analysis when avexatious litigant order is sought in the Court of Queen’s Bench. He wrote the following: Frivolous pleadings are those which are without substance or unarguable and can include any one or more of the following, as outlined inthe Jacob Text at pages 222 - 223: Thus, a proceeding may be said to be frivolous when: a. a party is trifling with the court; or b. when to put it forward would be wasting the time of the court; or c. when it is not capable of reasoned argument; or d. it is without foundation; or
e. where it cannot possibly succeed; or f. where the action is brought or the defence is raised only for annoyance; or g. to gain some fanciful advantage; or h. when it can really lead to no possible good. [para. 181] [para. 29] [31] The conclusion whether a litigant is vexatious is determined by an objective standard. The primarycharacteristics which anchor a declaration of vexatious litigant include:
a) a propensity to relitigate matters that have already been heard;
b) unsubstantiated allegations of impropriety against the opposite party, legal counsel, the court and administrative officials;
c) the refusal to abide by rules and orders of the court, including the failure to pay costs. [32] In this case, the motion judge carefully reviewed the history of the multiple judicial and quasi-judicialproceedings commenced by Mr. Ayangma in this province as well as in the Province of Prince Edward Island. He writes: [TRANSLATION] Mr.
Ayangma is involved in more than 100 reported decisions found in the Canadian Legal Information Institute database.There are $156,000.00 in unpaid judgments resulting from legal proceedings, a majority of which represent costs awarded against him.[para. 27] [33] He observes that Mr. Ayangma filed his civil action, and that there was also an unsuccessful application forjudicial review, dealing with three of eleven grievances [TRANSLATION] “connected with the same factual situation.” The judge addsthat Mr.
Ayangma filed another action based on the same facts as his application for judicial review, but against the Université, the Vice-President, Administration and Human Resources, the Dean of the Faculty of Business Administration and the Department Head. In thataction, Mr.
Ayangma raised allegations of libel, fraud and/or negligent misrepresentation, tortious conspiracy, reprisals, intimidation,harassment, abuse of authority and process, bad faith, breach of the duty of honest performance in their individual contractual duties,breach of the collective agreement, improper conduct resulting in a flawed investigation and constructive disciplinary suspension, and aCharter breach. [34] The judge, applying the principles set out in Bossé, had [TRANSLATION] “no difficulty” finding that Mr.Ayangma [TRANSLATION] “abuses the legal system and administration of justice in New Brunswick and elsewhere” (para. 33).
Wediscern no error in the application of the legal principles to the facts of this case, and we conclude the motion judge’s decision on thisissue was correct. E. Recusal [35] Mr. Ayangma raised several reasons why he felt the judge should have recused himself and why he wasbiased. They include allegations of conflict of interest due to the fact the judge attended the Université as a student. He alleged the judgeraised his voice during the hearing on October 5, 2018. He submitted that because the judge was seized with all the other legalproceedings, as noted, he was biased. [36] In Rose v.
Her Majesty the Queen et al., 2015 NBCA 26, 435 N.B.R. (2d) 259, Larlee and Quigg, J.J.A.provide a succinct review of the applicable principles when a recusal order is sought (paras. 8-11). On the issue of judicial bias, theywrite:
We begin with the ground alleging bias against the motion judge. In Brooks v. The Law Society of New Brunswick et al. , this Court describes what constitutes bias on the part of a judge who is asked to adjudicate. It is a serious allegation. There is a subjective and an objective component to the bias test when broad allegations are made: R. v. S. (R.D.) . With respect to the subjective component, the judge considers whether she or he can adjudicate impartially. If she or he cannot do so, that puts an end to the exercise.
The objective component of the test is “reasonable apprehension of bias,” the test usually applied. As this Court stated in Dugas v. Gaudet et al. , 2014 NBCA 7 , 416 N.B.R. (2d) 389 , to sustain an allegation of reasonable apprehension of bias, one must meet the following criteria: “[t]he grounds giving rise to the apprehension of bias must be sufficiently serious to rebut the presumption that the judge will abide by his or her oath of office and ‘[judge] a particular controversy fairly on the basis of its own circumstances’ (see United States v.
Morgan , 313 U.S. 409 (1941), at p. 421, excerpt quoted with approval in R. v. S.(R.D.) )” (para. 5). In an oral decision, the motion judge gave her reasons for not recusing herself. In so doing, she cited and applied the correct jurisprudence of the Supreme Court of Canada and this Court, and considered and weighed the appropriate factors. In our view, she made no reversible error in her application of the law relating to bias. Moreover, there is absolutely no evidence on the record to support the allegation of bias. [paras. 16-17] [ 37 ] In Bossé et al. v.
Lavigne , 2015 NBCA 54 , 440 N.B.R. (2d) 118, the Court states there are two key principles underlying the recusal of a judge from a case: 1) partiality, and 2) reasonable fear of partiality. The presence of one of them is sufficient to make a judge recuse himself or herself. The determination of recusal needs to be assessed by the judge and his or her reasoning will start with analyzing his or her own state of mind towards the case. This criterion is subjective.
For a judge to conclude he or she is impartial, he or she must be disinterested in the outcome of the case and not be predisposed to a particular result. In other words, he or she is open-minded and will let the evidence and submissions speak for themselves, in order to determine the case. If the judge finds himself or herself to be partial, then the analysis ends there and recusal is appropriate. (para. 7) [ 38 ] If the judge determines he or she is impartial on the subjective criterion, the reasoning continues to the objective criterion of the reasonable fear of partiality (or reasonable apprehension of bias).
In determining whether or not there may be a reasonable fear of partiality, the judge must answer the following question: “[h]aving examined the situation in depth and viewing the matter ‘realistically and practically,’ would a reasonable and well-informed person conclude it is ‘more likely than not that [the judge], whether consciously or unconsciously, would not decide fairly’?”.
The objective test must be taken from the perspective of: (1) a reasonable person; (2) that is well informed of the circumstances of the case; (3) where the apprehension of bias is reasonable; (4) following both a reasonable and practical examination of the situation; and (5) starting the analysis on a strong presumption of judicial impartiality and then determining whether it has been displaced. (para. 7) [ 39 ] The judge dealt with Mr. Ayangma’s recusal motion orally the morning of December 17, 2018. He dismissed the motion concluding he could fairly and impartially decide the issues before him.
The judge began by reciting the complaints raised by Mr. Ayangma in his motion. In those complaints, Mr. Ayangma asserted the judge was in collusion with the Université because he had attended school there. He contended the judge had predetermined all matters that were before him, because he had referred to them in his extemporaneous comments. [ 40 ] The judge reviewed the applicable jurisprudence, applying it to the motion. He concluded he had an open mind, and that there was no foundation established to support a claim of bias or a reasonable apprehension of bias. His analysis was comprehensive and fulsome.
He found that a reasonable and well-informed person viewing the argument objectively, would not conclude that he was partial, or biased (see also Ayangma v. Université de Moncton, Moncton Campus et al. , 2019 NBCA 73 ). We find no error in the motion judge’s analysis and this ground of appeal is dismissed. VI. Disposition [ 41 ] The appeal is dismissed with costs of $2,500.
Version française du jugement de la Cour rendu par LA COUR I. Introduction [1] M. Ayangma interjette appel d’une décision dans laquelle le juge saisi de la motion l’a déclaré plaideur quérulent et a rejeté l’action civile qu’il avait intentée à l’Université de Moncton au motif qu’elle était prescrite. Il s’agit d’une décision parallèle à l’arrêt Ayangma c. Université de Moncton, Campus de Moncton et autre , 2019 NBCA 73 . II. Contexte [2] M. Ayangma occupait un poste de professeur à temps partiel à l’Université de Moncton (l’Université) .
Il a présenté en vain sa candidature à un poste permanent et affirme que l’Université a fait preuve de discrimination envers lui en recrutant une personne qui, selon ses dires, ne possède pas les qualifications nécessaires qui étaient énoncées dans le concours. Il a par la suite déposé auprès de la Commission des droits de la personne du Nouveau-Brunswick une plainte dans laquelle il accusait l’Université de conduite discriminatoire fondée sur sa race, sa couleur et son âge. La Commission a rejeté la plainte.
Une requête en révision judiciaire de la décision de la Commission a été rejetée par un juge de la Cour du Banc de la Reine. Cette décision a, sans succès, été portée en appel devant notre Cour (voir Ayangma c. Université de Moncton, Campus de Moncton , 2019 NBCA 14 , [2019] A.N.-B. n o 28 (QL) ). [3] Après le rejet de sa plainte auprès de la Commission des droits de la personne, M.
Ayangma a entamé contre l’Université une poursuite civile dans laquelle il réclamait des dommages-intérêts en réparation de ce qui constituait, selon ses dires, de la part de l’Université, une conduite délibérée et négligente, une assertion inexacte, de la mauvaise foi et une violation alléguée de la Charte . L’Université a opposé une défense à l’action. [4] Le 20 février 2018, M.
Ayangma a signifié et déposé son affidavit des documents et signifié à l’Université, sous le régime de la règle 31.03(1), un avis dans lequel il lui demandait de signifier et de déposer un affidavit des documents et de produire les documents dont elle avait la possession et le contrôle. [5] Le 1 er mai 2018, l’Université a produit un projet d’affidavit des documents. M. Ayangma a fait valoir que ce projet d’affidavit n’était pas conforme aux Règles de procédure .
Le 10 mai 2018, il a introduit une motion dans laquelle il demandait à la Cour d’ordonner à l’Université de déposer un affidavit des documents conforme aux Règles . L’audition de la motion a été fixée au 5 octobre 2018. [6] Le 14 septembre 2018, l’Université a déposé une motion dans laquelle elle sollicitait la radiation des plaidoiries sous le régime de la règle 22.01 ou un jugement
sommaire. Elle demandait également que M. Ayangma soit déclaré plaideur quérulent en vertu de la règle 76.1.04. Les deux motions devaient être entendues le 5 octobre 2018. [7] Dès le début de l’audience, le juge a mentionné qu’une autre audience afférente à la révision judiciaire d’une décision arbitrale mettant en cause M. Ayangma devait se dérouler devant lui le 17 décembre 2018. M.
Ayangma a immédiatement exprimé ses craintes au sujet de la capacité du juge de rester neutre et impartial en raison de ses observations impromptues. [8] Du consentement des parties, l’audition des motions a été reportée au 17 décembre 2018, dans l’attente de la publication des motifs dans un appel connexe interjeté devant notre Cour, comme je l’ai indiqué plus haut. Entre-temps, M. Ayangma a déposé une nouvelle motion, dans laquelle il demandait au juge saisi de la motion de se récuser. Toutes les motions étaient présentables le 17 décembre 2018. [9] Le 17 décembre 2018, la motion en récusation de M.
Ayangma a été entendue en premier et a été rejetée séance tenante. Le juge saisi de la motion a ensuite entendu les deux autres motions; celles-ci ont été rejetées dans une décision écrite en date du 13 février 2019.
[10] Dans une décision datée du 13 février 2019, le juge saisi de la motion a accordé un jugement
sommaire sur le fondement de la règle 22, rejetant ainsi l’action intentée par M. Ayangma. Il a fait ainsi au motif que l’action était prescrite. Ainsi, le juge n’a pas eu à statuer sur la question qui visait la règle 31.02(4). La décision, initialement rendue uniquement en français, déclarait M. Ayangma un plaideur quérulent. III. Moyaens d’appel [11] M. Ayangma demande l’infirmation de la décision du juge saisi de la motion. Ses différents moyens d’appel peuvent se résumer ainsi :
a) la décision du juge saisi de la motion a enfreint le par. 24(1) de la
Loi sur les langues officielles , L.N.-B. 2002, ch. O-0.5 , étant donné qu’elle n’a été publiée que dans une seule langue officielle;
b) le juge saisi de la motion a commis une erreur de droit en accordant un jugement
sommaire sous le régime de la règle 22.01 étant donné que l’Université n’avait pas produit un affidavit des documents comme elle en avait l’obligation, alors même qu’elle avait reçu signification de l’avis prévu à la règle 31.03, et la décision de prononcer ce jugement
sommaire a été rendue avant que la question de la divulgation ne soit tranchée;
c) le juge saisi de la motion a commis une erreur de droit en déterminant que l’action intentée par M. Ayangma était prescrite par la
Loi sur la prescription , L.N.-B. 2009, ch. L-8.5;
d) le juge saisi de la motion a commis une erreur de droit en restreignant le droit de l’appelant de saisir la cour lorsqu’il a déclaré qu’il était un plaideur quérulent;
e) le juge saisi de la motion était partial et aurait dû se récuser. IV. Norme de contrôle [12] S’agissant des moyens d’appel qui soulèvent des questions de droit, la norme de contrôle applicable est celle de la décision correcte. Pour ce qui est de ceux qui soulèvent soit une question de fait, soit une question mixte de droit et de fait au sujet de laquelle aucune erreur de droit isolable ne peut être décelée, la norme de contrôle applicable est celle de l’erreur manifeste et dominante. V. Analyse A. Violation de la
Loi sur les langues officielles [13] La décision portant sur le contrôle judiciaire a initialement été rendue en français le 13 février 2019, puis dans sa version anglaise le 8 mars 2019. M. Ayangma soutient que la décision aurait dû être publiée simultanément dans les deux langues officielles étant donné que l’instance s’est déroulée dans les deux langues. Ce moyen d’appel n’a pas été poursuivi devant nous. Dans son mémoire, M.
Ayangma n’a pas affirmé que la décision du juge de rendre initialement sa décision dans une seule des deux langues officielles avait pour effet de l’invalider, mais il a fait valoir que [TRADUCTION] « ce type de conduite doit faire l’objet d’une condamnation ou de directives fermes de la part de la Cour afin d’éviter qu’elle ne se reproduise ». [14] En règle générale, la décision définitive aurait dû être publiée simultanément dans les deux langues officielles, à moins que le juge n’ait déterminé que la publication d’une version bilingue entraînerait un retard qui serait préjudiciable à l’intérêt public ou qui causerait une injustice ou un inconvénient grave, comme le prévoit l’art. 24 de la Loi .
Lorsque le juge conclut dans ce sens,
la décision peut être publiée dans une langue, et ensuite dans l’autre langue le plus rapidement possible. [15] Comme nous l’avons indiqué , dans la présente instance, le juge a initialement publié sa décision uniquement en français. Si le juge avait décidé de la publier dans une langue officielle dans un premier temps, et ensuite dans l’autre langue officielle, en raison de l’un ou de plusieurs des facteurs énoncés au par. 24(2), il aurait dû exposer dans sa décision les motifs pour lesquels il avait agi de la sorte. Il ne l’a pas fait et nous convenons avec M. Ayangma qu’il aurait dû le faire. B. Jugement
sommaire [16] M. Ayangma soutient que le juge saisi de la motion n’aurait pas dû rendre un jugement
sommaire étant donné que l’Université n’avait pas produit un affidavit des documents conforme aux Règles . [17] Dans l’arrêt Whelton c. Mercier et al. , 2004 NBCA 83 , 277 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 251 , le juge en chef Drapeau (tel était alors son titre) s’est exprimé en ces termes au nom de la Cour : La signification d’un affidavit fidèle à la règle 31.03(4) devrait aboutir à la divulgation de tous les documents relatifs aux questions en litige. Munie de cet affidavit, la
partie adverse peut insister sur la production des documents qui l’intéressent et acquérir, suite à leur examen, une connaissance approfondie du dossier. Un affidavit des documents réglementaire est, en général, indispensable à la découverte de la vérité . Il en est ainsi tout particulièrement dans un litige, comme celui qui nous occupe, où la réponse à certaines questions controversées est embusquée dans les documents en la possession exclusive de l’une des parties . En règle générale, toute motion en jugement
sommaire présentée dans le cadre d’un tel litige devrait être rejetée avec dépens lorsque l’auteur de la motion ne s’est pas plié aux exigences de la règle 31 . [Par. 26] [18] Dans la présente instance, le juge a prononcé un jugement
sommaire en faveur de l’Université malgré le défaut de cette dernière de se conformer à la règle 31. En général, cela aurait dû suffire pour entraîner le rejet de sa motion en jugement
sommaire. Néanmoins, nous concluons qu’il s’agissait de l’un de ces cas exceptionnels dans lesquels le juge pouvait rendre le jugement sollicité malgré le non-respect de la règle par l’Université. En effet, le fondement sur lequel le jugement
sommaire a été rendu – le fait que l’action était prescrite – ne dépendait pas de la divulgation de documents, quels qu’ils soient. Le délai de prescription était échu ou il ne l’était pas, et toute l’information en la matière se trouvait déjà en la possession de M. Ayangma. C. Prescription [19] M.
Ayangma avait déposé des griefs dans lesquels il alléguait que l’Université avait violé la convention collective entre 2013 et 2015 et [TRADUCTION] « plus récemment », le 12 mai 2015, en se rendant coupable d’abus de pouvoir, [TRADUCTION] « d’intimidation, de manque d’éthique professionnelle, de diffamation, de harcèlement et de discrimination ». [20] Dans le grief, M. Ayangma a soulevé de graves allégations de harcèlement et de discrimination contre une professeure.
Il a écrit ce qui suit : [TEXTE ORIGINAL] J’allègue enfin aussi être victime de discrimination en matière d’emploi et en particulier dans la dotation au département d’administration, du poste de Professeur de gestion des ressources humaines doté en 2014 pendant que la Professeure [V.K.] était à la fois présidente du jury de sélection et directrice du Département d’administration. [Par. 11] [21] Au paragraphe 26 de l’exposé de sa demande, M. Ayangma a reconnu qu’il avait posé sa candidature au poste annoncé le 7 janvier 2014 et n’avait pas obtenu une entrevue. Le 28 mai 2015, il a écrit à Terrance J.
LeBlanc, le représentant de l’employeur pour l’Université, affirmant que la candidate retenue ne possédait pas les qualifications dont faisait état l’annonce de 2013 concernant le poste en question, notamment parce qu’elle n’était pas titulaire d’un doctorat.
[22] Dans l’arrêt Dupuis c. City of Moncton, 2005 NBCA 47, 284 R.N.-B. (2e) 97, la Cour, citant l’arrêt Central Trust Co. c. Rafuse, (SCC), [1986] 2 R.C.S. 147, [1986] A.C.S. no 52 (QL), à la p. 224, a tiré la conclusionsuivante : [Une] cause d’action prend naissance, aux fins de la prescription, lorsque les faits importants sur lesquels repose cette cause d’action ontété découverts par le demandeur ou auraient dû l’être s’il avait fait preuve de diligence raisonnable. [...] [Par. 29] Voir également Kamloops c. Nielsen, (SCC), [1984] 2 R.C.S. 2, [1984] A.C.S. no 29 (QL), aux p. 36 à 41. [23] Voici le texte de l’article 5 de la
Loi sur la prescription, L.N.-B. 2009, ch. L-8.5 : General limitation periods 5(1) Unless otherwise provided in this Act,no claim shall be brought after the earlier of (
a) two years from the day on which theclaim is discovered, and (
b) fifteen years from the day on which theact or omission on which the claim is basedoccurred. 5(2) A claim is discovered on the day onwhich the claimant first knew or oughtreasonably to have known (
a) that the injury, loss or damage hadoccurred, (
b) that the injury, loss or damage was causedby or contributed to by
an act or omission,and (
c) that the act or omission was that of thedefendant. Délais de prescription ordinaires 5(1) Sauf disposition contraire de la présenteloi, toute réclamation se prescrit par celui desdélais ci-dessous qui expire le premier :
a) deux ans à compter du jour où sontdécouverts les faits y ayant donné naissance;
b) quinze ans à compter du jour où a eu lieul’acte ou l’omission sur lequel elle est fondée. 5(2) Les faits ayant donné naissance à laréclamation sont découverts le jour où leréclamant a appris ou aurait dû normalementapprendre :
a) que sont survenus les préjudices, les pertesou les dommages;
b) que les préjudices, les pertes ou lesdommages ont été causés entièrement ou enpartie par un acte ou une omission;
c) que l’acte ou l’omission était le fait dudéfendeur. [24] Dans la présente instance, l’Université fait valoir que M. Ayangma savait que sa candidature avait été rejetéelorsqu’il a reçu un avis à cet effet de l’Université dans une lettre datée du 3 mars 2014.
[25] Dans ses motifs, le juge saisi de la motion a tranché qu’« [i]l est incontestable qu’au plus tard le 12 mai 2015, M. Ayangma savait que le poste avait été comblé le 1er juillet 2014 » (par. 16). Il a donc rejeté l’action civile après avoir déterminéqu’elle était prescrite. Ce faisant, il a conclu que M. Ayangma avait été informé le 3 mars 2014 que sa candidature avait été rejetée.M. Ayangma a déposé le grief dans lequel il contestait la décision de l’Université le 12 mai 2015. L’action de M. Ayangma a étéintroduite le 29 mai 2017.
Ce sont là des conclusions de fait qui commandent la déférence en l’absence d’une erreur manifeste etdominante. [26] Dans l’arrêt Miramichi Lumber Products Inc. et autre c.
Province du Nouveau-Brunswick, représentée par le Ministère du développement de l’énergie et des ressources et autres, 2019 NBCA 61, [2019] A.N.-B. no 202 (QL), la juge d’appel Quigga écrit ce qui suit : S’agissant de la conclusion du juge saisi de la requête selon laquelle la requête était prescrite, la jurisprudence établit de façon constanteque la question de savoir si une procédure judiciaire est prescrite est une question mixte de droit et de fait au sujet de laquelle une cour nedevrait pas intervenir à moins qu’une erreur manifeste et dominante n’ait été commise (Guarantee Co. of North America c.
Gordon Capital Corp., (SCC), [1999] 3 R.C.S. 423, [1999] A.C.S. no 60 (QL), par. 28; Longo c. MacLaren Art Centre, 2014ONCA 526, [2014] O.J. No. 3242 (QL), par. 38 et 39; Crombie Property Holdings Limited c. McColl-Frontenac Inc. (Texaco CanadaLimited), 2017 ONCA 16, [2017] O.J. No. 142 (QL), par. 31 (autorisation de pourvoi à la Cour suprême du Canada refusée à [2017] C.S.C.R. no 85); et Fehr c. Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada, 2018 ONCA 718, [2018] O.J. No. 4513 (QL), par. 143).
Dansl’arrêt Longo, le juge d’appel Hourigan a dit : [TRADUCTION]La question de savoir si un délai de prescription a expiré avant le dépôt d’une déclaration est une question mixte de fait et de droit. Enconséquence, la question à trancher dans le présent appel est celle de savoir si le juge saisi de la motion a commis une erreur manifeste etdominante en concluant que la demande était prescrite par la loi. Il est entendu qu’une erreur manifeste et dominante est une erreur évidente qui est suffisamment importante pour vicier la conclusion defait qui est contestée.
L’appelant doit démontrer que l’erreur touche au cœur même de la conclusion de fait qui est contestée et que, enconséquence de l’erreur, le fait ne peut être affirmé sans risque de se tromper : Waxman c. Waxman (2004), (ON CA), 186 O.A.C. 201, p. 267 (C.A.), autorisation de pourvoi refusée à [2004] C.S.C.R. no 291. [Par. 38 à 39] [Par. 12] [27] M.
Ayangma affirme que le délai de prescription devrait être de six ans au motif qu’il a allégué la violation dela Charte dans ses plaidoiries et que le délai dans lequel il devait déposer son action civile a commencé à courir lorsqu’il a reçu ladécision de la Commission des droits de la personne. C’est à bon droit que le juge saisi de la motion a fait observer que M. Ayangmaavait en vain invoqué le même argument dans l’affaire Ayangma c. Canada Health Infoway, 2017 PECA 13, [2017] P.E.I.J. No. 23(QL).
Dans cette cause, la Cour examinait un ensemble de faits analogues aux faits de l’espèce et a conclu que l’action civile intentée parM. Ayangma était prescrite du fait que ce n’était que le 21 juillet 2015 qu’il avait déposé sa demande, soit après que la Commission desdroits de la personne eut statué sur les affaires en cause, le délai de prescription de deux ans étant alors échu.
De la même façon, enl’espèce, le juge a conclu que les demandes dans lesquelles sont soulevées des allégations de violation de la Charte sont soumises audélai de prescription provincial ordinaire qui est de deux ans au Nouveau-Brunswick. Voir Coffey c. Fraser Valley (Regional District),2018 BCSC 959, [2018] B.C.J. No. 1113 (QL). [28] La conclusion du juge saisi de la motion est étayée par la preuve. À notre avis, il n’a commis aucune erreur dedroit, et il n’a pas non plus commis une erreur manifeste et dominante susceptible de permettre notre intervention en appel. D.
Ordonnance déclarant le plaideur quérulent [29] L’Université a demandé et obtenu une ordonnance sous le régime de la règle 76.1.04. Une ordonnance rendueen vertu de cette règle interdit à une
partie d’introduire d’autres instances devant la Cour du Banc de la Reine ou la Cour des petitescréances, ou encore de continuer une instance déjà introduite devant ces tribunaux, à moins d’en avoir obtenu l’autorisation. Afin dedéterminer s’il doit rendre une telle ordonnance, le juge peut tenir compte de toute ordonnance semblable rendue contre la personne encause par tout autre tribunal, y compris un tribunal situé à l’extérieur du Nouveau-Brunswick, ainsi que des instances que cette personnea introduites de façon persistante et sans motif raisonnable devant tout autre tribunal, y compris un tribunal situé à l’extérieur duNouveau-Brunswick (règle 76.1.02(2)).
[30] Dans l’affaire Bossé c. Caisse populaire acadienne Ltée, [2018] A.N.-B. no 164 (QL), notre Cour alonguement traité de la règle susmentionnée. Elle a affirmé ce qui suit : Dans Greene c. Province du Nouveau-Brunswick et autres, 2014 NBBR 168, 428 R.N.-B. (2e) 204, le juge Glennie a offert un cadrepour l’analyse d’une demande, faite à la Cour du Banc de la Reine, d’une ordonnance déclarant un plaideur quérulent.
Il a écrit ce quisuit : [TRADUCTION]Les plaidoiries frivoles sont celles qui sont sans substance ou indéfendables et il peut s’agir notamment des cas suivants qui sonténumérés aux pages 222 et 223 du texte de Jacob : Ainsi, on peut qualifier une plaidoirie de frivole : a. lorsqu’une
partie se joue de la Cour, b. lorsqu’elle ferait perdre son temps à la Cour, c. lorsqu’elle ne peut faire l’objet d’une argumentation raisonnée, d. lorsqu’elle est dénuée de fondement, e. lorsqu’elle est vouée à l’échec, f. lorsque l’action est intentée ou la défense opposée dans l’unique but de contrarier, g. lorsqu’elle a pour but d’obtenir un avantage fantaisiste, h. lorsqu’elle ne peut vraiment apporter rien de bon. [Par. 181] [Par. 29] [31] Une norme objective sert à établir si un plaideur est ou non quérulent. Les principaux indicateurs permettantde déclarer un plaideur quérulent sont notamment les suivants :
a) une propension à remettre en litige des questions qui ont déjà été entendues;
b) le fait de soutenir des allégations d’actes irréguliers sans fondement contre une
partie opposée, des avocats, la cour ou desfonctionnaires administratifs;
c) le refus de se plier aux règles et aux ordonnances judiciaires, notamment le refus de verser les dépens. [32] Dans la présente instance, le juge saisi de la motion a soigneusement passé en revue l’historique des multiplesprocédures judiciaires et quasi judiciaires que M. Ayangma avait entamées dans notre province ainsi qu’à l’Île-du-Prince-Édouard. Il aécrit ce qui suit : [TEXTE ORIGINAL] M. Ayangma a, se référant à la base de données de l’institut Canadien d’information juridique plus de cent décisions rapportéesl’impliquant. Il existe 156 000,00 $ en jugement impayé résultant de procédures judiciaires dont la majorité représente des dépensaccordés contre lui. [Par. 27]
[33] Il fait ensuite observer que M. Ayangma a déposé la présente action civile et qu’il y a par ailleurs une requête en révision qui a été rejetée et qui traite de trois des onze griefs « rattachés à la même situation de faits. » Le juge ajoute que M. Ayangma a déposé une autre poursuite se fondant sur les mêmes faits que la requête en révision judiciaire, cette fois contre l’Université, le vice-recteur à l’administration et aux ressources humaines, le doyen de la faculté d’administration et le chef de département. Dans cette action, M.
Ayangma a soulevé des allégations de diffamation, de fraude et d’assertion négligente et inexacte, de complot délictueux, de représailles, d’intimidation, de harcèlement, d’abus d’autorité et d’abus de procédure, de mauvaise foi, de manquement à leur obligation d’agir avec honnêteté dans leurs obligations contractuelles individuelles, de violation de la convention collective, d’inconduite ayant mené à une enquête déficiente et à une suspension disciplinaire déguisée, et de violation de la Charte . [34] Appliquant les principes énoncés dans l’arrêt Bossé , le juge n’a eu « aucune difficulté » à conclure que M.
Ayangma est un plaideur quérulant qui « abuse du système judiciaire et l’administration de la justice au Nouveau-Brunswick et ailleurs » (par. 33). Nous ne trouvons aucune erreur dans l’application des principes juridiques aux faits en cause et nous concluons que la décision rendue par le juge saisi de la motion sur cette question était correcte. E. Récusation [35] M. Ayangma a donné plusieurs raisons pour lesquelles il pensait que le juge était partial et aurait dû se récuser. Il a notamment affirmé qu’il y avait conflit d’intérêts parce que le juge avait fréquenté l’Université comme étudiant.
Il a allégué que le juge avait levé le ton pendant l’audience du 5 octobre 20 18. Il a fait valoir que le juge, du fait qu’il était saisi de toutes les autres instances judiciaires, comme indiqué , était partial. [36] Dans l’arrêt Rose c. Sa Majesté la Reine et autres , 2015 NBCA 26 , 435 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 259 , les juges d’appel Larlee et Quigg revoient succinctement les principes applicables lorsqu’une ordonnance de récusation est sollicitée (par. 8 à 11).
Elles écrivent ce qui suit sur la question de la partialité du tribunal : Nous commençons par le moyen d’appel qui soutient que la juge saisie des motions était partiale. Dans Brooks c. Barreau du Nouveau- Brunswick et autres , notre Cour décrit ce qui constitue la partialité de la part d’un juge qui doit se prononcer sur une affaire. Il s’agit d’une allégation grave. Le critère applicable à la partialité dans les cas où des allégations générales sont faites comporte à la fois un élément subjectif et un élément objectif : R. c. S. (R.D.) .
Pour ce qui est de l’élément subjectif, le juge considère s’il lui est possible d’instruire l’affaire de façon impartiale. S’il lui est impossible de le faire, il ne doit pas aller plus loin. L’élément objectif du critère est celui de la « crainte raisonnable de partialité », le critère habituellement appliqué. Comme notre Cour l’a déclaré dans Dugas c.
Gaudet et al. , 2014 NBCA 7 , 416 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 389 , pour soutenir une allégation de crainte raisonnable de partialité, il incombe de remplir les critères suivants : « Les motifs qui sous-tendent la crainte de partialité doivent être d’une gravité telle qu’ils réfutent la forte présomption que le ou la juge respectera son serment d’office et “[tranchera] le litige équitablement à la lumière de ses circonstances propres” (voir United States c. Morgan , 313 U.S. 409 (1941), à la p. 421, passage cité avec approbation dans l’arrêt R. c. S. (R.D.) ) » (par. 5).
Dans une décision rendue oralement, la juge saisie des motions a motivé sa décision de ne pas se récuser. Elle a alors cité et appliqué la bonne jurisprudence de la Cour suprême du Canada et de notre Cour et a examiné et soupesé les facteurs appropriés. À notre sens, elle n’a commis dans son application du droit en matière de partialité aucune erreur susceptible de révision. En outre, absolument aucune preuve au dossier ne soutient l’allégation de partialité. [Par. 16 et 17] [37] Dans l’arrêt Bossé et autres c.
Lavigne , 2015 NBCA 54 , 440 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 118, la Cour précise que deux principes clés sous-tendent la récusation d’un juge : 1) la partialité et 2) la crainte raisonnable de partialité. La présence de l’une ou de l’autre suffit pour amener un juge à se récuser. C’est au juge qu’il appartient de déterminer s’il doit se récuser et son raisonnement doit commencer par l’analyse de son propre état d’esprit au sujet de l’affaire en cause. Ce critère est subjectif. Pour conclure à son impartialité, le juge doit être désintéressé eu égard à l’issue de l’affaire et ne pas être prédisposé à un résultat particulier.
Autrement dit, il doit avoir l’esprit ouvert et être susceptible d’être persuadé par la preuve et les arguments soumis afin de statuer sur l’affaire en cause. Si le juge conclut qu’il est partial, l’analyse prend alors fin et une récusation est appropriée. (par. 7) [38] Si le juge détermine qu’il est impartial selon le critère subjectif, le raisonnement passe alors au critère objectif de la crainte raisonnable de partialité.
Pour déterminer s’il peut exister une crainte raisonnable de partialité, le juge doit répondre à la question suivante : « [U]ne personne raisonnable et bien renseignée qui étudierait la situation en profondeur et de façon “pratique et réaliste” serait-elle d’avis que, “selon toute vraisemblance, le [ou la] juge, consciemment ou non, ne rendra pas une décision juste”? ».
Les éléments du critère objectif sont les suivants : (1) le critère est considéré du point de vue d’une personne raisonnable; (2) celle-ci est bien renseignée des circonstances de l’affaire; (3) la crainte de partialité est raisonnable; (4) la situation fait l’objet d’un examen réaliste et pratique; et (5) l’analyse commence par une forte présomption d’impartialité judiciaire et vise à déterminer si celle-ci a été réfutée. (par. 7)
[39] Le juge a traité oralement de la motion en récusation de M. Ayangma dans la matinée du 17 décembre 2018. Il a rejeté la motion après avoir conclu qu’il pouvait trancher les questions dont il était saisi de façon juste et impartiale. Le juge a commencé par reprendre les différentes plaintes que M. Ayangma avait formulées dans sa motion. Dans ces plaintes, M. Ayangma accusait le juge de collusion avec l’Université parce qu’il avait étudié dans cet établissement.
Il soutenait que le juge avait déjà pris une décision sur toutes les affaires dont il était saisi étant donné qu’il les avait abordées dans ses observations impromptues . [40] Le juge a ensuite passé en revue la jurisprudence applicable et l’a appliquée à la motion. Il a conclu qu’il avait l’esprit ouvert et qu’il n’existait aucun fondement à l’allégation de partialité ou de crainte raisonnable de partialité. Son analyse était exhaustive et approfondie.
Il est arrivé à la conclusion qu’une personne raisonnable et bien informée qui examinerait l’argument avec objectivité ne conclurait pas qu’il est partial ou qu’il a un préjugé (voir également Ayangma c. Université de Moncton, Campus de Moncton et autre , 2019 NBCA 73 ). Nous ne voyons aucune erreur dans l’analyse du juge saisi de la motion et ce moyen d’appel est donc rejeté. VI. Dispositif [41] L’appel est rejeté avec dépens qui sont fixés à 2 500 $.