2018 NBCA 5, 2018 NBCA 5
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D'APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 29-17-CA BETHANY DYKSTRA APPELLANT BETHANY DYKSTRA APPELANTE - and - - et - NEW BRUNSWICK CATTLE PRODUCERS, a body corporate under the NATURAL PRODUCTS ACT, S.N.B. 1999, c. N-1.2 RESPONDENT ÉLEVEURS DE BOVINS DU NOUVEAU- BRUNSWICK, corps constitué établi sous le régime de la LOI SUR LES PRODUITS NATURELS , L.N.-B. 1999, ch. N-1.2 INTIMÉ Dykstra v. New Brunswick Cattle Producers, a body corporate under the Natural Products Act, S.N.B. 1999, c.
N-1.2 , 2018 NBCA 5 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice Green The Honourable Justice French Dykstra c. Éleveurs de bovins du Nouveau- Brunswick, corps constitué établi sous le régime de la
Loi sur les produits naturels , L.N.-B. 1999, ch. N-1.2 , 2018 NBCA 5 CORAM : l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge Green l’honorable juge French Appeal from a decision of a Panel of the New Brunswick Farm Products Commission: February 22, 2017 Appel d’une décision d’un comité de la Commission des produits de ferme du Nouveau-Brunswick : le 22 février 2017 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: Unreported Décision frappée d’appel : inédite Preliminary or incidental proceedings: N/A Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : s.o. Appeal heard: November 15, 2017 Appel entendu : le 15 novembre 2017
Judgment rendered: January 18, 2018 Jugement rendu : le 18 janvier 2018 Reasons for judgment by: The Honourable Justice Quigg Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Green The Honourable Justice French Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: D. James Gerrish For the respondent: John B. Malone, Q.C. Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge Quigg Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Green l’honorable juge French Avocats à l'audience : Pour l’appelante : D. James Gerrish Pour l’intimé : John B. Malone, c.r. THE COURT The appeal is dismissed with costs of $2,500.
LA COUR Rejette l’appel avec dépens à hauteur de 2 500 $. The judgment of the Court was delivered by QUIGG, J.A. I. Introduction [ 1 ] In the underlying appeal, Ms. Dykstra, a dairy farmer, asks that a decision of a Panel of the New Brunswick Farm Products Commission (“Commission”) be varied. Ms.
Dykstra’s submission sets out two grounds of appeal: 1) the New Brunswick Farm Products Panel did not rule properly when deciding whether Dairy Farmers are included in the Cattle Plan Administration Regulation - Natural Products Act and the Cattle Plan and Levies Regulation - Natural Products Act ; and 2) whether the Panel properly determined it did not have jurisdiction to rule on the setting of interprovincial and international levies. For the reasons that follow, I am of the view the applicable standard of review is reasonableness and it was reasonable for the Panel to arrive at the conclusion it did. II.
Background and Legislative Provisions [ 2 ] To set out the background against which this appeal must be decided, I will borrow liberally from the decision of the New Brunswick Farm Products Panel (“Panel”), as well as the written submissions of the parties.
[ 3 ] The Respondent, the New Brunswick Cattle Producers (“Board”), was established under s. 18 of the Natural Products Act, S.N.B. 1999, c.
N-1.2, and, by s. 20 of the Natural Products Act , is a body corporate. [ 4 ] In 2001, the Lieutenant-Governor in Council enacted the Cattle Plan and Levies Regulation – Natural Products Act , NB Reg. 2001-46 to, among other things, establish the Board’s purpose, which is to promote, control and regulate the marketing and production of cattle, promote the consumption of cattle and to research activities pertaining to cattle (the “Plan”) in New Brunswick (see s. 8 of the Cattle Plan and Levies Regulation).
The Plan applies to all persons engaged in the marketing or in the producing and marketing of cattle in New Brunswick (see s. 4 of the Cattle Plan and Levies Regulation ). [ 5 ] In 2001, the Lieutenant-Governor in Council also enacted the Cattle Plan Administration Regulation - Natural Products Act , NB Reg. 2001-47 , which, among other things, addresses the membership of the Board (s. 3) and the qualifications of members of the Board (s. 6). [ 6 ] Cattle is defined in s. 2 of the Cattle Plan and Levies Regulation : “cattle” means cows, bulls, steers, heifers and calves of the genus Bos that are marketed for the production of meat[.] « bovins » désigne les vaches, taureaux, bouvillons, génisses et veaux de l’espèce bovine commercialisés pour leur viande[.] [ 7 ] The Board has the power to make such orders as are considered necessary or advisable to effectively regulate the marketing or the production and marketing of cattle or to exercise any power vested in the Board (see s. 11(
h) of the Cattle Plan and Levies Regulation ). [ 8 ] The Board also has the authority to fix levies, and to impose them upon and collect them from persons engaged in the marketing or the production and marketing of the whole or any part of cattle (see s. 12 of the Cattle Plan and Levies Regulation ). [ 9 ] Under s. 1 of the Natural Products Act “marketing” means: […] buying, selling or offering for sale, and includes advertising, financing, assembling, storing, packing, shipping and transporting in any manner by any person[.] […] les opérations d’achat, de vente ou de mise en vente et s’entend également de celles de publicité, de financement, d’assemblage, d’entreposage, d’emballage, d’expédition et de transport, effectuées de quelque manière que ce soit par une personne[.] [ 10 ] In 2015, under its power to levy, the Board established Board Order No. 2015-13, the “Checkoff Levies Order”, making it mandatory for each purchaser of cattle to deduct $3.00 per head plus HST from the purchase price paid to a producer and remit these amounts to the Board. [ 11 ] In its Fall 2015, Spring 2016, and Fall 2016 newsletters, and at district meetings, the Board informed cattle producers it was conducting an economic analysis, reviewing sector expansion plans, and reviewing the resulting increase in the operational and administrative workload at the head office, in order to determine the amount of a levy increase scheduled for January 2017.
Between July 1, 2016, and November 25, 2016, the Board held a plebiscite proposing amendments or additions to the Cattle Plan Administration Regulation - Natural Products Act , asking eligible producers to vote on whether to proceed with suggested administrative revisions to the Cattle Plan Administration Regulation .
The plebiscite, which was not mandated by the legislation, proposed: (1) changing the definition of an eligible producer; (2) that an eligible producer must hold a current licence with the Board; (3) that cattle producers hold an annual general meeting of all eligible producers within New Brunswick in order to review the operations and financial condition of the Board; and (4) to allow for the election of three at-large members to the Board. At present the Cattle Plan Administration Regulation only provides for annual district meetings (s. 7(1)).
[ 12 ] Unfortunately, ballots were sent to beef producers on July 1, 2016, with a return date of August 31, 2016, while ballots destined for dairy producers were only forwarded in mid-October 2016 with a return date of November 25, 2016. [ 13 ] On October 11, 2016, after an operational review and costing analysis, the Board convened and approved Order No. 2016-1, making it mandatory, effective January 1, 2017, for each purchaser to deduct a levy of $6.00 per head plus HST and to remit said levy to the Board. [ 14 ] The Board submits its decision to increase the provincial levy from $3.00 to $6.00 was necessitated by industry demands and increased costs.
The levy increase was a separate issue from that of the plebiscite, as will be discussed below. The Board also says the proposal to amend its plan was an attempt to achieve more participation, representation and involvement of and by producers. III. Appeal of Board Decision [ 15 ] On November 25, 2016, under s. 65 of the Natural Products Act , Ms.
Dykstra appealed the Board’s decision saying: 1) the Board conducted an improper plebiscite process; 2) the Board should not have accepted the five proposed regulation changes; 3) the Board should not have implemented an increased levy; 4) the Board erred by requiring dairy cattle producers to pay the levy; and 5) the decision to apply the Cattle Plan and Levies Regulation - Natural Products Act and the Cattle Plan Administration Regulation - Natural Products Act to dairy cattle producers and dairy cattle is an error. A five-member Panel of the New Brunswick Farm Products Commission was constituted as per s. 66 (
l) of the Natural Products Act . The appeal was heard on January 12, 2017. [ 16 ] The Panel concluded, even though not mandated by the legislation, the plebiscite to ascertain the opinion of producers was flawed. In its view, the irregularities identified by Ms. Dykstra were sufficient to taint the consultation process. The Panel did not suggest the producers acted in bad faith. It nevertheless found that dairy producers, who fell under the jurisdiction of the Board when marketing cattle for the production of meat, were excluded from the plebiscite until late in the process and thus were treated differently.
Consequently, the Panel set aside the Board’s determination to consider the results of the plebiscite as a sufficient indicator of support by the producers, and its decision to request the Commission to make the necessary amendments to the Cattle Plan Administration Regulation - Natural Products Act (p. 6-7 of Panel’s decision). [ 17 ] The Panel decided it was necessary to make a distinction between provincial and federal levies.
The Panel determined the authority to collect levies as well as the applicable levy framework respecting intra-provincial sale of cattle lay within the Cattle Plan and Levies Regulation - Natural Products Act , and stated the levy authorized by s. 12(1) (
a) only applies to the marketing of cattle within the Province of New Brunswick. The Panel decided Order No. 2016-1 (Checkoff Levies Order) of the New Brunswick Cattle Producers, dated October 11, 2016, indicates the Order only applies to each head of cattle sold in New Brunswick. [ 18 ] Further, the Panel explained Ms. Dykstra objected to the decision of the Board to increase the amount of the provincial levy from $3.00 to $6.00 plus HST per head of cattle marketed. The Board submitted the increase was necessary in order to meet industry demands and the increased cost of provincial programs and operations.
In the end, the Panel decided s. 12 of the Cattle Plan and Levies Regulation - Natural Products Act provided the Board with the authority to set provincial levies: The Panel is of the opinion
Section 12 of the Cattle Plan and Levies Regulation - Natural Products Act provides the Respondent with the authority to set provincial levies.
The authority to collect levies and the applicable levy structure on the inter-provincial sale of cattle lies with a federal statue, the BeefCattle Research, Market Development and Promotion Levies Order (SOR/2[0]16-236). It is also referred to as the “Federal LeviesOrder”.
It equates to “the amount of the Provincial Levy imposed and collected by the provincial cattle associations on the sale of beefcattle in intra-provincial trade in the province where the seller reside”. [p. 7-8 of the Panel’s decision] [Underline in original.] [19] With respect to levies set by a federal agency in regulating inter-provincial trade in an agricultural product, thePanel determined it had no jurisdiction.
The Panel further decided it had no jurisdiction with respect to the decision of the Lieutenant-Governor in Council to include dairy cattle marketed for the production of meat in the definition of regulated product in the Cattle Planand Levies Regulation - Natural Products Act, as that particular issue was not a decision of the Board. It appears Ms. Dykstraextrapolates this as being an actual decision of the Board by virtue of the reality that when a dairy cow is sold as a beef cow, there willbe a levy applied to the purchase and sale. [20] Ms.
Dykstra also takes the position dairy producers are not “eligible producers”. The Panel noted that s. 4 ofthe Cattle Plan and Levies Regulation - Natural Products Act states “[t]he Plan applies to all persons engaged in marketing or inproducing and marketing the regulated product in the regulated area”. The definition of “eligible producer” is found at s. 2 of the CattlePlan Administration Regulation - Natural Products Act, which pertains to the establishment of the Board and who is eligible toparticipate on the Board.
The Respondent says the definition is not intended to be used in interpreting other regulations or statutes. [21] There were two grounds of appeal put forth by the Ms. Dykstra in her written submission: I. The New Brunswick Farm Products Panel did not properly rule upon whether dairy farmers are required to be included in theCattle Plan Administration Regulation - Natural Products Act and the Cattle Plan and Levies Regulation - Natural Products Act. II.
The New Brunswick Farm Products Panel did not properly rule on the setting of levies outside New Brunswick being inter-provincially and internationally. [22] At the appeal hearing, counsel for Ms. Dykstra agreed the Board has no ability to rule on the setting of leviesoutside New Brunswick. IV. Standard of Review [23] The first issue is that of the applicable standard of review. In Barreau du Québec v. Quebec (AttorneyGeneral), 2017 SCC 56, [2017] S.C.J. No. 56 (QL), the Supreme Court explains: Unless the jurisprudence already contains a satisfactory determination of the applicable standard of review (Dunsmuir v.
NewBrunswick, 2008 SCC 9, [2008] 1 S.C.R. 190, at para. 62), a court must presume, in reviewing a decision in which a specializedadministrative tribunal has interpreted and applied its enabling statute or a statute with a close connection to its function, that thereasonableness standard applies (Alberta (Information and Privacy Commissioner) v. Alberta Teachers’ Association, 2011 SCC 61,[2011] 3 S.C.R. 654, at para. 34). In the instant case, there is no satisfactory precedent. The decision cited by the Barreau on this point(Harvey v.
Guerreiro, (QC CQ), [2005] R.J.Q. 1817 (C.Q.)) is not applicable, as it concerned provisions of the Actrespecting the Régie du logement, CQLR, c. R-8.1, ss. 72 and 74, that differed from the ones at issue here and appeared in a statute thatincluded a weaker privative clause than the one that applies to the ATQ (ibid., s. 91; compare s. 158 of the Act respecting administrativejustice). The reasonableness standard must therefore be presumed to apply, given that the central issue entails the
interpretation of s. 102 of theAct respecting administrative justice, which is in the ATQ’s enabling statute and which sets out procedural rules that apply inproceedings before it. It is true that, as the Court of Appeal put it, the ATQ had to bear the Act respecting the Barreau du Québec[TRANSLATION] “in mind” in interpreting s. 102. But this does not have the effect of removing the issue from the ATQ’s jurisdictionand expertise; quite the contrary. It instead shows that the Act respecting the Barreau du Québec has a “close connection” to the ATQ’sfunction.
Indeed, s. 128(2)(a)(5) of that Act refers expressly to the ATQ and establishes a procedural rule that applies in proceedingsbefore it. Moreover, the ATQ clearly has to refer to the Act respecting the Barreau du Québec often in the performance of its function.
As the Attorney General pointed out in this Court, the ATQ has had to interpret ss. 128 and 129 of the Act respecting the Barreau duQuébec in many recent decisions, and it had to decide the very question that is raised in this appeal in P.S. v.
Québec (Emploi etSolidarité sociale), 2010 QCTAQ 11404, . [paras. 15-16] [Emphasis added.] And further: Finally, the Court recently reiterated that the presumption in favour of the reasonableness standard can sometimes be rebutted “where acontextual analysis reveals that the legislature clearly intended not to protect the tribunal’s jurisdiction in relation to certain matters”(Mouvement laïque québécois v. Saguenay (City), 2015 SCC 16, [2015] 2 S.C.R. 3, at para. 46; see also Edmonton (City) v.
EdmontonEast (Capilano) Shopping Centres Ltd., 2016 SCC 47, [2016] 2 S.C.R. 293, at para. 32; Rogers Communications Inc. v. Society ofComposers, Authors and Music Publishers of Canada, 2012 SCC 35, [2012] 2 S.C.R. 283, at para. 16). That being said, the presumptionis not rebutted in the instant case. Aside from the foregoing (in paras. 14 et seq.), the Barreau advances no other arguments in thisregard. This Court has pointed out in the past that the ATQ is a “sophisticated” administrative tribunal, “similar in many ways toCanadian courts of law” (Okwuobi v. Lester B.
Pearson School Board, 2005 SCC 16, [2005] 1 S.C.R. 257, at para. 23). Its enablingstatute authorizes it to “decide any question of law or fact necessary for the exercise of its jurisdiction” (s. 15 of the Act respectingadministrative justice), and its jurisdiction includes proceedings pertaining to the granting of social aid (s. 18 of the Act respectingadministrative justice).
It is therefore clear that the legislature intended the ATQ to be able to decide any question related to proceedingspertaining to social aid, including any question related to the Minister’s right to “be represented” before the social affairs division. [para.23] Therefore, the standard of review applicable in this case is reasonableness. V. Analysis [24] In J.D. Irving, Limited v. North Shore Forest Products Marketing Board et al., 2014 NBCA 42, 422 N.B.R.(2d) 233, Robertson J.A. provides a thorough review of the issue of the standard of review in judicial review and statutory appeal cases. In that case, J.D.
Irving Limited appealed a finding that the various Forest Product Marketing Boards had authority to regulate stumpageagreements. The appeal before us is brought pursuant to s. 71(1) of the Natural Products Act, the same
section as the J.D. Irving, Limitedcase. Section 71(1) provides for a right of appeal to this Court from decisions of the Commission on questions of “jurisdiction or on aquestion of law or mixed law and fact”. In this case, Ms. Dykstra appeals the Panel’s interpretive ruling with respect to the power to setlevies and determine who pays them. In J.D.
Irving, Limited, Robertson J.A. explains: While the correctness standard applies to tribunal decisions involving the application of civil and common law principles, Dunsmuirrecognized an exception in cases where the tribunal has developed an expertise with respect to the application of the principle within thecontext of the tribunal’s statutory mandate: Dunsmuir, at para. 54, applied in Nor-Man Regional Health Authority Inc. v. ManitobaAssociation of Health Care Professionals, 2011 SCC 59, [2011] 3 S.C.R. 616. This understanding of the law is subject to a relativelyrecent qualification.
In a post-Dunsmuir decision, the Court held the correctness standard applies to all questions of law that are of centralimportance to the legal system and outside the relative expertise of the tribunal, not just those questions involving civil or common lawprinciples: Canada (Canadian Human Rights Commission) v. Canada (Attorney General), 2011 SCC 53, [2011] 3 S.C.R. 471. [para. 12] [25] In Dunsmuir v.
New Brunswick, 2008 SCC 9, [2008] 1 S.C.R. 190, the Supreme Court explains theadministrative delegation of certain responsibilities to specialized bodies and their particular role in exercising the statutory authorityentrusted to them by the Legislature. This must be distinguished from the role of the judiciary: Parliament or a provincial legislature is often well advised to allocate an administrative decision to someone other than a judge. Thejudge is on the outside of the administration looking in.
The legislators are entitled to put their trust in the viewpoint of the designateddecision maker (particularly as to what constitutes a reasonable outcome), not only in the case of the administrative tribunals of principalconcern to my colleagues but (taking a “holistic approach”) also in the case of a minister, a board, a public servant, a commission, anelected council or other administrative bodies and statutory decision makers.
In the absence of a full statutory right of appeal, the courtought generally to respect the exercise of the administrative discretion, particularly in the face of a privative clause. [para. 123]
[26] Also, in Dunsmuir, the Court says: Guidance with regard to the questions that will be reviewed on a reasonableness standard can be found in the existing case law.Deference will usually result where a tribunal is interpreting its own statute or statutes closely connected to its function, with which itwill have particular familiarity: Canadian Broadcasting Corp. v. Canada (Labour Relations Board), (SCC), [1995] 1S.C.R. 157, at para. 48; Toronto (City) Board of Education v. O.S.S.T.F., District 15, (SCC), [1997] 1 S.C.R. 487, atpara. 39.
Deference may also be warranted where an administrative tribunal has developed particular expertise in the application of ageneral common law or civil law rule in relation to a specific statutory context: Toronto (City) v. C.U.P.E., at para. 72. Adjudication inlabour law remains a good example of the relevance of this approach. The case law has moved away considerably from the strictposition evidenced in McLeod v. Egan, (SCC), [1975] 1 S.C.R. 517, where it was held that an administrative decisionmaker will always risk having its
interpretation of an external statute set aside upon judicial review. [para. 54] [Emphasis added.] [27] In my view, it is clear the Panel’s
interpretation of the Natural Products Act is owed deference. As explained inBarreau du Québec and J.D. Irving, Limited, the law has reached the point where there is a rebuttable presumption of deference totribunal decisions involving the
interpretation of their home statute. From my perspective, the interpretive issue in this case does not fallwithin the established categories for which correctness is the proper standard of review. Once again I turn to J.D. Irving, Limited: As well, the interpretative issue at hand does not fall within the established categories for which correctness is the proper reviewstandard. Obviously, the issue does not raise a constitutional question or a true jurisdictional question of the kind just discussed.
Nor doesthe interpretative issue qualify as a question of law that is of central importance to the legal system and outside the Commission’s field ofexpertise. That said, however, there is a tangential issue that must be dealt with on this appeal which brings into consideration theapplication of common law and equitable principles. JDI maintains the stumpage agreement renders JDI an owner of the land describedin the agreement, and, therefore, the Act has no application.
To the extent the validity of that argument hinges on how the common lawtreats stumpage agreements, this Court owes no deference to the Commission’s assessment and application of common law and equitableprinciples.
Moreover, although the jurisprudence makes room for the exceptional case, this is not one of them. [para. 23] [28] As mentioned earlier, the standard of review respecting the interpretative issue before us is “reasonableness”.The question whether the Board possesses the jurisdiction to set levies and include certain groups does not qualify as a true jurisdictionalquestion for which correctness is the proper standard.
The interpretive issue does not fall within recognized categories for whichcorrectness is usually the proper standard. [29] Also, in Dunsmuir, the Court underscores the obligation of courts to accord deference when reviewingquestions of mixed fact and law, such as the analysis undertaken by the Panel in this case. Significant deference must be extended to theadministrative decision maker and interference with a reasonable decision must be curbed by reviewing courts. [30] The analysis undertaken by the Panel is comprised of a clear exercise of the
interpretation and application of itsown statute. There was no need to consider the application of the common law or equitable principles. There was no question of “generallaw” of central importance to the legal system and outside the tribunal’s area of specialized expertise in this case. Therefore, thejurisprudence calls for considerable deference to be accorded. Here we have a Panel interpreting its own governing statue on questionswithin its expertise, and within its exclusive statutory authority.
Furthermore, the resulting decision is reasonable. [31] With respect to the remaining ground of appeal, the “Panel did not properly rule on the setting of levies outsideNew Brunswick being inter-provincially and internationally” in establishing levies in inter-provincial or international transactions, thePanel determined it has no jurisdiction with respect to levies set by a federal agency in regulating inter-provincial trade in an agriculturalproduct. As mentioned earlier, counsel for Ms.
Dykstra agreed. [32] In its decision, the Panel says: The authority to collect levies and the applicable levy structure on the intra-provincial sale of cattle lies in New Brunswick’s Cattle Planand Levies Regulation - Natural Products Act. A portion of this provincial levy is remitted to the Canadian Beef Cattle Research, MarketDevelopment and Promotion Agency (Agency) and is also referred to as the “Canadian Beef Cattle Check-Off”. This check-off is paid tothe Agency pursuant to the Agency Management and Services Agreement entered into between New Brunswick Cattle Producers and the
Agency. The Panel agrees that the levy authorized by paragraph 12(1) (
a) of the Cattle Plan and Levies Regulation - Natural Products Act only applies to the marketing of cattle within the Province of New Brunswick. In fact, Order 2016-1 (Check-off Levies Order) of New Brunswick Cattle Producers dated October 11, 2016 indicates that the Order applies only to each head of cattle sold in New Brunswick. The Appellant objected to the decision of the Respondent on October 11, 2016 to increase the amount of the provincial levy from three to six dollars plus HST per head of cattle marketed.
The Respondent’s submission was that the need for the increase was determined by an economic and cost analysis conducted by the Respondent that concluded the increase was necessary in order to meet industry demands and the increased cost of provincial programs and operations. The Panel is of the opinion
Section 12 of the Cattle Plan and Levies Regulation – Natural Products Act provides the Respondent with the authority to set provincial levies. [p. 7 of the Panel’s decision] [ 33 ] Arguably, respecting both grounds of appeal, one could say the Panel did not elaborate on the reasons that underscore its interpretative conclusion, but I am mindful of Newfoundland and Labrador Nurses’ Union v.
Newfoundland and Labrador (Treasury Board) , 2011 SCC 62 , [2011] 3 S.C.R. 708 , where Abella J. instructs: It is important to emphasize the Court’s endorsement of Professor Dyzenhaus’s observation that the notion of deference to administrative tribunal decision-making requires “a respectful attention to the reasons offered or which could be offered in support of a decision”. In his cited article, Professor Dyzenhaus explains how reasonableness applies to reasons as follows: “Reasonable” means here that the reasons do in fact or in principle support the conclusion reached.
That is, even if the reasons in fact given do not seem wholly adequate to support the decision, the court must first seek to supplement them before it seeks to subvert them .
For if it is right that among the reasons for deference are the appointment of the tribunal and not the court as the front line adjudicator, the tribunal's proximity to the dispute, its expertise, etc, then it is also the case that its decision should be presumed to be correct even if its reasons are in some respects defective. [Emphasis in original.] (David Dyzenhaus, “The Politics of Deference: Judicial Review and Democracy”, in Michael Taggart, ed., The Province of Administrative Law (1997), 279, at p. 304) See also David Mullan, “ Dunsmuir v.
New Brunswick , Standard of Review and Procedural Fairness for Public Servants: Let’s Try Again!” (2008), 21 C.J.A.L.P. 117, at p. 136; David Phillip Jones, Q.C., and Anne S. de Villars, Q.C., Principles of Administrative Law (5th ed. 2009), at p. 380; and Canada (Citizenship and Immigration) v.
Khosa , 2009 SCC 12 , [2009] 1 S.C.R. 339 , at para. 63 . […] Read as a whole, I do not see Dunsmuir as standing for the proposition that the “adequacy” of reasons is a stand-alone basis for quashing a decision, or as advocating that a reviewing court undertake two discrete analyses – one for the reasons and a separate one for the result (Donald J. M. Brown and John M. Evans, Judicial Review of Administrative Action in Canada (loose-leaf), at §§ 12:5330 and 12:5510).
It is a more organic exercise – the reasons must be read together with the outcome and serve the purpose of showing whether the result falls within a range of possible outcomes. This, it seems to me, is what the Court was saying in Dunsmuir when it told reviewing courts to look at “the qualities that make a decision reasonable, referring both to the process of articulating the reasons and to outcomes” (para. 47). […]
Reasons may not include all the arguments, statutory provisions, jurisprudence or other details the reviewing judge would havepreferred, but that does not impugn the validity of either the reasons or the result under a reasonableness analysis. A decision-maker isnot required to make an explicit finding on each constituent element, however subordinate, leading to its final conclusion (ServiceEmployees’ International Union, Local No. 333 v. Nipawin District Staff Nurses Assn., (SCC), [1975] 1 S.C.R. 382, atp. 391).
In other words, if the reasons allow the reviewing court to understand why the tribunal made its decision and permit it todetermine whether the conclusion is within the range of acceptable outcomes, the Dunsmuir criteria are met. [paras. 12, 14, 16] [34] As further elaborated upon in Newfoundland and Labrador Nurses, “perfection is not the standard” (para. 18).We, as reviewing judges, should ask ourselves whether, when we read the Panel’s decision in light of the legislative framework underwhich it is operating, the Panel’s reasons satisfactorily disclose the underpinning of its determination (see Attorney General of NewBrunswick v.
Pembridge Insurance Company, 2011 NBCA 2, 368 N.B.R. (2d) 134). In my view, when looking at the result in thecontext of the record, the parties’ submissions and the law, the Panel’s reasons are comprehensive. Again, in Newfoundland andLabrador Nurses, Abella J. says: Arbitration allows the parties to the agreement to resolve disputes as quickly as possible knowing that there is the relieving prospect notof judicial review, but of negotiating a new collective agreement with different terms at the end of two or three years.
This process wouldbe paralyzed if arbitrators were expected to respond to every argument or line of possible analysis. [para. 25] [35] Although I am aware we are not faced with a labour negotiation case as in Newfoundland and LabradorNurses, the situation regarding the review of reasons issued by a statutory Panel is analogous. Panels make administrative decisions andtheir role is to be distinguished from that of the judiciary. In this case, the reasons illustrate the Panel was alive to the issues and came toa result well within the range of reasonable outcomes.
I would therefore dismiss the appeal with costs of $2,500. ___________________________ KATHLEEN A. QUIGG, J.A. WE CONCUR: ___________________________ BRADLEY V. GREEN __________________________ RAYMOND T. FRENCH Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par LA JUGE QUIGG I. Introduction [1] Par l’appel qu’elle a interjeté, Bethany Dykstra, productrice laitière, demande qu’une décision d’un comité de la Commission des produits de ferme du Nouveau-Brunswick (« Commission ») soit changée.
Le mémoire de Mme Dykstra avance deux moyensd’appel : 1) le comité de la Commission des produits de ferme du Nouveau-Brunswick n’a pas rendu une décision appropriée lorsqu’il adéterminé si les producteurs laitiers sont assujettis au Règlement concernant le Plan de gestion relatif aux bovins -
Loi sur les produits
naturels et au Règlement concernant le Plan et les redevances relatifs aux bovins -
Loi sur les produits naturels ; 2) le comité n’a pas rendu une décision appropriée lorsqu’il a déterminé qu’il n’avait pas compétence pour statuer sur la fixation de redevances interprovinciales et internationales. Pour les motifs qui suivent, je suis d’avis que la norme de contrôle applicable est celle de la décision raisonnable et qu’il était raisonnable, de la part du comité, d’arriver à la conclusion qu’il a donnée. II.
Contexte et dispositions législatives [2] Afin de définir le contexte de l’appel sur lequel doit statuer notre Cour, je puiserai largement dans les motifs du comité de la Commission des produits de ferme du Nouveau-Brunswick (« comité ») et dans les mémoires des parties. [3] L’Office intimé, Éleveurs de bovins du Nouveau-Brunswick, a été établi en vertu de l’ art. 18 de la
Loi sur les produits naturels , L.N.-B. 1999, ch. N-1.2; il est, par application de l’art. 20 de la Loi , un corps constitué. [4] En 2001, le lieutenant-gouverneur en conseil a édicté le Règlement concernant le Plan et les redevances relatifs aux bovins -
Loi sur les produits naturels , Règl. du N.-B. 2001-46, dans le but, entre autres, d’établir les objets de l’Office : la promotion, le contrôle et la réglementation de la commercialisation et de la production de bovins, la promotion de la consommation de produits du bœuf et les activités de recherche se rapportant aux bovins (le tout formant le « Plan ») au Nouveau-Brunswick (art. 8 du Règlement concernant le Plan et les redevances relatifs aux bovins ) .
Le Plan s’applique à l’ensemble des personnes s’occupant de la commercialisation ou de la production et de la commercialisation de bovins au Nouveau-Brunswick (art. 4 du Règlement concernant le Plan et les redevances relatifs aux bovins ). [5] En 2001, le lieutenant-gouverneur en conseil a aussi édicté le Règlement concernant le Plan de gestion relatif aux bovins -
Loi sur les produits naturels , Règl. du N.-B. 2001-47 , qui précise, entre autres, de quels membres se compose l’Office (art. 3) et en quelles qualités les éleveurs deviennent membres (art. 6). [6] L’article 2 du Règlement concernant le Plan et les redevances relatifs aux bovins définit ainsi « bovins » : “cattle” means cows, bulls, steers, heifers and calves of the genus Bos that are marketed for the production of meat[.] « bovins » désigne les vaches, taureaux, bouvillons, génisses et veaux de l’espèce bovine commercialisés pour leur viande[.] [7] L’Office est investi du pouvoir de prendre les arrêtés qu’il juge nécessaires ou opportuns pour réglementer efficacement la commercialisation ou la production et la commercialisation de bovins ou pour exercer un pouvoir dont il est investi (al. 11
h) du Règlement concernant le Plan et les redevances relatifs aux bovins ). [8] L’Office est autorisé, en outre, à fixer des redevances et à les imposer aux personnes s’occupant de la commercialisation ou de la production et de la commercialisation de la totalité ou de parties de bovins, ainsi qu’à percevoir ces redevances de ces personnes ( art. 12 du Règlement concernant le Plan et les redevances relatifs aux bovins ). [9] Aux termes de l’art. 1 de la
Loi sur les produits naturels , « commercialisation » désigne : […] buying, selling or offering for sale, and includes advertising, financing, assembling, storing, packing, shipping and transporting in any manner by any person[.] les opérations d’achat, de vente ou de mise en vente et s’entend également de celles de publicité, de financement, d’assemblage, d’entreposage, d’emballage, d’expédition et de transport, effectuées de quelque manière que ce soit par une personne[.] [10] En 2015, en vertu de son pouvoir d’imposer des redevances, l’Office a pris l’arrêté n o 2015-13, l’ Arrêté sur les prélèvements , qui obligeait les acheteurs de bovins à déduire du prix d’achat versé au producteur 3 $ par tête, plus TVH, et à remettre la somme à l’Office.
[11] Dans ses bulletins de l’automne 2015, du printemps 2016 et de l’automne 2016, et lors de réunions de district, l’Office a informé les éleveurs de bovins qu’il procédait à une analyse économique, qu’il étudiait les plans d’expansion du secteur et qu’il examinait l’augmentation du volume de travail d’administration et de direction au bureau, afin de déterminer le montant d’une hausse des prélèvements prévue pour janvier 2017. Entre le 1 er juillet 2016 et le 25 novembre 2016, l’Office a tenu un plébiscite : il était proposé que des modifications ou des ajouts soient apportés au Règlement concernant le Plan de gestion relatif aux bovins -
Loi sur les produits naturels , et les éleveurs habilités étaient priés de voter sur des révisions administratives du Règlement concernant le Plan de gestion relatif aux bovins .
La législation n’obligeait pas à tenir ce plébiscite, lequel proposait : (1) que la définition d’éleveur habilité soit modifiée; (2) que les éleveurs habilités soient contraints d’être titulaires d’une licence valide de l’Office; (3) que des assemblées générales annuelles auxquelles seraient conviés tous les éleveurs habilités de bovins du Nouveau-Brunswick soient tenues pour examiner les activités et la situation financière de l’Office; (4) que soit prévue l’élection de trois membres généraux de l’Office.
Dans l’état actuel des choses, le Règlement concernant le Plan de gestion relatif aux bovins ne prévoit que des réunions annuelles de district (par. 7(1)). [12] Malheureusement, si les bulletins de vote destinés aux éleveurs de bovins, dont la date de retour était fixée au 31 août 2016, leur ont été envoyés le 1 er juillet 2016, les bulletins destinés aux producteurs laitiers leur ont été envoyés à la mi-octobre 2016 seulement, assortis d’une date de retour fixée au 25 novembre 2016. [13] Le 11 octobre 2016, après un examen de ses opérations et une analyse des coûts, l’Office s’est réuni et a adopté l’arrêté n o 2016-1, qui obligeait les acheteurs, à compter du 1 er janvier 2017, à déduire un prélèvement de 6 $ par tête, plus TVH, et à remettre la somme à l’Office. [14] L’Office affirme que les exigences de l’industrie et l’accroissement des coûts ont rendu nécessaire sa décision de porter à 6 $ le prélèvement provincial de 3 $.
La hausse du prélèvement était une question distincte de celle du plébiscite, ce sur quoi je reviendrai. L’Office explique enfin qu’il tentait, en proposant de modifier son plan, d’élargir la représentation des éleveurs et de susciter, chez eux, une participation et un engagement plus soutenus. III. Appel interjeté de la décision de l’Office [15] Le 25 novembre 2016, M me Dykstra a porté la décision de l’Office en appel, sur le fondement de l’ art. 65 de la
Loi sur les produits naturels , pour les motifs suivants : 1) l’Office a mis en œuvre un processus plébiscitaire inapproprié; 2) l’Office n’aurait pas dû accepter les cinq modifications de la réglementation proposées; 3) l’Office n’aurait pas dû hausser le montant du prélèvement; 4) l’Office a commis une erreur en exigeant des éleveurs de bovins laitiers qu’ils acquittent le prélèvement; 5) la décision d’appliquer aux éleveurs de bovins laitiers et aux bovins laitiers le Règlement concernant le Plan et les redevances relatifs aux bovins -
Loi sur les produits naturels et le Règlement concernant le Plan de gestion relatif aux bovins -
Loi sur les produits naturels est une erreur. Un comité de la Commission des produits de ferme du Nouveau-Brunswick, comité composé de cinq membres, a été constitué en conformité avec le par. 66 (
l) de la
Loi sur les produits naturels . L’appel a été entendu le 12 janvier 2017. [16] Le comité a conclu que le plébiscite tenu afin de cerner l’opinion des éleveurs, quoiqu’il n’ait pas été prescrit par la législation, était boiteux. Il estimait que les irrégularités relevées par M me Dykstra suffisaient pour entacher le processus de consultation. Le comité ne prétendait pas que les éleveurs avaient agi de mauvaise foi.
Toutefois, il constatait que les producteurs laitiers, qui relèvent de l’Office lorsqu’ils commercialisent des bovins pour leur viande, avaient été exclus du plébiscite jusque vers la fin et que, de ce fait, ils avaient été traités différemment. Le comité a donc annulé la décision de l’Office de considérer les résultats du plébiscite comme une indication suffisante de l’appui des éleveurs, et a appuyé sa décision de prier la Commission d’apporter les modifications nécessaires au Règlement concernant le Plan de gestion relatif aux bovins -
Loi sur les produits naturels (p. 6 et 7 de la décision du comité).
[17] Le comité a indiqué qu’il fallait distinguer les redevances fédérales et provinciales. Il a déterminé que l’autorisation de percevoir des redevances sur la vente intraprovinciale de bovins et la structure de ces redevances ressortissaient au Règlement concernant le Plan et les redevances relatifs aux bovins -
Loi sur les produits naturels , et a déclaré que les redevances que l’ al. 12(1)
a) autorise à imposer s’appliquent uniquement à la commercialisation de bovins à l’intérieur de la province du Nouveau-Brunswick. Le comité a conclu que l’arrêté n o 2016-1 des Éleveurs de bovins du Nouveau-Brunswick ( Arrêté sur les prélèvements ), daté du 11 octobre 2016, indique qu’il ne s’applique qu’à chaque tête de bovin vendue au Nouveau-Brunswick. [18] De plus, le comité a expliqué que M me Dykstra contestait la décision de l’Office de porter à 6 $ le prélèvement provincial de 3 $, plus TVH, par tête de bovin vendue.
L’Office faisait valoir que la hausse était nécessaire afin de répondre aux exigences de l’industrie et de faire face au coût accru des activités et des programmes provinciaux. Enfin, le comité a conclu que l’ art. 12 du Règlement concernant le Plan et les redevances relatifs aux bovins –
Loi sur les produits naturels autorisait l’Office à établir des redevances provinciales : [TRADUCTION] Le comité est d’avis que l’ art. 12 du Règlement concernant le Plan et les redevances relatifs aux bovins -
Loi sur les produits naturels autorise l’intimé à établir des redevances provinciales. L’autorisation de percevoir des redevances sur la vente interprovinciale de bovins et la structure de redevances applicable ressortissent à une ordonnance fédérale, l’ Ordonnance sur les redevances à payer pour la recherche, le développement des marchés et la promotion des bovins de boucherie (DORS/2016-236). Elle est parfois appelée « ordonnance fédérale sur les redevances ».
Une correspondance existe avec le [TRADUCTION] « montant de la redevance provinciale imposée et perçue par les associations provinciales d’éleveurs de bovins sur les ventes de bovins de boucherie réalisées sur le marché intraprovincial dans la province où le vendeur réside ». [p. 7 et 8 de la décision du comité] [Passage souligné dans l’original.] [19] Le comité a déterminé qu’il n’avait pas compétence sur les redevances établies par un organisme fédéral dans la réglementation du commerce interprovincial d’un produit agricole.
Il a également jugé qu’il n’avait pas compétence à l’égard de la décision du lieutenant-gouverneur en conseil d’inclure les bovins laitiers commercialisés pour leur viande dans la définition du produit réglementé du Règlement concernant le Plan et les redevances relatifs aux bovins -
Loi sur les produits naturels , étant donné que la décision prise sur ce point ne venait pas de l’Office. Il semble que M me Dykstra l’assimile à une véritable décision de l’Office du fait qu’un prélèvement est opéré sur le prix quand une vache laitière est vendue comme vache de boucherie. [20] M me Dykstra soutient en outre que les producteurs laitiers ne sont pas des « éleveurs habilités ». Le comité fait valoir que l’art. 4 du Règlement concernant le Plan et les redevances relatifs aux bovins -
Loi sur les produits naturels prévoit que « [l]e Plan s’applique à l’ensemble des personnes s’occupant de la commercialisation ou de la production et de la commercialisation du produit réglementé dans la zone réglementée ».
La définition d’« éleveur habilité » est donnée à l’art. 2 du Règlement concernant le Plan de gestion relatif aux bovins -
Loi sur les produits naturels , qui institue l’Office et précise qui est habilité à s’y joindre. L’intimé soutient que la définition n’est pas censée servir à l’interprétation d’autres règlements ou d’autres lois. [21] Deux moyens d’appel sont avancés par l’appelante dans son mémoire : [TRADUCTION] I. Le comité de la Commission des produits de ferme du Nouveau-Brunswick n’a pas rendu une décision appropriée lorsqu’il a déterminé si les producteurs laitiers devaient être assujettis au Règlement concernant le Plan de gestion relatif aux bovins -
Loi sur les produits naturels et au Règlement concernant le Plan et les redevances relatifs aux bovins -
Loi sur les produits naturels . II. Le comité de la Commission des produits de ferme du Nouveau-Brunswick n’a pas rendu une décision appropriée sur les redevances, d’application interprovinciale et internationale, établies à l’extérieur du Nouveau-Brunswick. [22] Lors de l’audience d’appel, l’avocat de M me Dykstra a convenu qu’il n’est pas du ressort de l’Office de rendre des décisions sur l’établissement de redevances à l’extérieur du Nouveau-Brunswick.
IV. Norme de contrôle [23] La question qui se pose en premier lieu est celle de la norme de contrôle applicable. Dans Barreau du Québec c. Québec (Procureure générale), 2017 CSC 56, [2017] A.C.S. no 56 (QL), la Cour suprême a expliqué ce qui suit : À moins que la jurisprudence n’ait déjà établi de manière satisfaisante la norme de contrôle applicable (Dunsmuir c.
Nouveau-Brunswick, 2008 CSC 9, [2008] 1 R.C.S. 190, par. 62), la cour appelée à réviser la décision d’un tribunal administratif spécialisé quiinterprète et applique sa loi constitutive ou une loi étroitement liée à son mandat doit présumer que la norme de la décision raisonnables’applique (Alberta (Information and Privacy Commissioner) c. Alberta Teachers’ Association, 2011 CSC 61, [2011] 3 R.C.S. 654,par. 34). Ici, aucun précédent satisfaisant n’existe. La décision que le Barreau soumet à ce
chapitre (Harvey c. Guerreiro, (QC CQ), [2005] R.J.Q. 1817 (C.Q.)) n’est pas applicable. Elle met en cause des dispositions de la
Loi sur la Régie du logement,RLRQ, c. R-8.1, art. 72 et 74, qui diffèrent de celles qui nous occupent ici et qui figurent dans une loi assortie d’une clause privativemoins étanche que celle dont bénéficie le TAQ (ibid., art. 91; comparer avec l’art. 158 de la
Loi sur la justice administrative). Il faut par conséquent présumer que la norme de la décision raisonnable s’applique, puisque la question centrale en litige porte surl’interprétation de l’art. 102 de la
Loi sur la justice administrative, lequel fait
partie de la loi constitutive du TAQ et traite des règles deprocédure applicables aux instances se déroulant devant lui. Pour emprunter l’expression de la Cour d’appel, il est vrai que le TAQdevait garder « en tête » la
Loi sur le Barreau en interprétant l’art. 102. Mais cela n’a pas pour effet de soustraire la question en jeu auchamp de compétence et d’expertise du TAQ, bien au contraire. Cette constatation démontre plutôt que la
Loi sur le Barreau est « étroitement liée » au mandat du TAQ. De fait, l’art. 128(2)a)5o de cette loi mentionne explicitement ce tribunal et établit une règle deprocédure applicable aux instances devant lui. D’ailleurs, il est acquis que le TAQ doit souvent se référer à la
Loi sur le Barreau dansl’exécution de son mandat. Comme la Procureure générale l’a fait remarquer devant cette Cour, le TAQ a eu à interpréter les art. 128 et129 de la
Loi sur le Barreau dans de nombreuses décisions récentes et a déjà eu à trancher la question même que soulève le présentpourvoi dans l’affaire P.S. c. Québec (Emploi et Solidarité sociale), 2010 QCTAQ 11404, . [par. 15 et 16] [Je souligne.] Puis ceci : Enfin, la Cour a récemment réitéré que la présomption d’application de la norme de la décision raisonnable peut parfois être repoussée« lorsqu’une analyse contextuelle révèle une intention claire du législateur de ne pas protéger la compétence du tribunal à l’égard decertaines questions » (Mouvement laïque québécois c.
Saguenay (Ville), 2015 CSC 16, [2015] 2 R.C.S. 3, par. 46; voir aussi Edmonton(Ville) c. Edmonton East (Capilano) Shopping Centres Ltd., 2016 CSC 47, [2016] 2 R.C.S. 293, par. 32; Rogers Communications Inc. c.Société canadienne des auteurs, compositeurs et éditeurs de musique, 2012 CSC 35, [2012] 2 R.C.S. 283, par. 16). Cela dit, laprésomption n’est pas repoussée en l’espèce. Outre tout ce qui précède (aux par. 14 et suiv.), le Barreau n’avance aucun autre argumenten ce sens.
Notre Cour a déjà fait observer que le TAQ est un tribunal administratif « fort complexe » et « semblable à plusieurs égardsaux cours de justice du Canada » (Okwuobi c. Commission scolaire Lester-B.-Pearson, 2005 CSC 16, [2005] 1 R.C.S. 257, par. 23). Saloi constitutive l’autorise à « décider toute question de droit ou de fait nécessaire à l’exercice de sa compétence » (art. 15 de la
Loi sur lajustice administrative), et sa compétence inclut les recours liés à l’octroi de l’aide sociale (art. 18 de la
Loi sur la justice administrative).Il est donc évident que le législateur a voulu que le TAQ puisse trancher toute question liée aux recours en matière d’aide sociale, ycompris les questions qui porteraient sur le droit du ministre de « se faire représenter » devant la
section des affaires sociales. [par. 23] En conséquence, la norme de contrôle applicable est celle de la décision raisonnable. V. Analyse [24] Dans J.D. Irving, Limited c. Office de commercialisation des produits forestiers du Nord et autres, 2014 NBCA 42, 422 R.N.- B. (2e) 233, le juge d’appel Robertson donne un examen détaillé de la question de la norme de contrôle applicable dans les affaires quifont intervenir un contrôle judiciaire ou un appel prévu par la loi. J.D.
Irving Limited contestait en appel la conclusion qu’il était de lacompétence des divers offices de commercialisation des produits forestiers de réglementer les conventions de coupe. L’appel dont noussommes saisis est fondé sur le par. 71(1) de la
Loi sur les produits naturels, comme l’était l’appel dans J.D. Irving, Limited. Leparagraphe 71(1) prévoit un droit d’appel de décisions de la Commission, devant notre Cour, sur des questions de « compétence ou sur
une question de droit ou mixte de droit et de fai[t] ». Mme Dykstra appelle, en l’espèce, de la décision interprétative que le comité arendue relativement au pouvoir d’établir des redevances et de déterminer qui les paye. Dans J.D.
Irving, Limited, le juge d’appelRobertson a expliqué ce qui suit : Bien que la norme de la décision correcte soit imposée aux décisions des tribunaux administratifs faisant intervenir l’application deprincipes de common law et de droit civil, Dunsmuir admet une exception lorsque le tribunal a acquis, dans le contexte de son mandatlégislatif, une expertise dans l’application du principe (Dunsmuir, par. 54, motifs repris dans Nor-Man Regional Health Authority Inc. c.Manitoba Association of Health Care Professionals, 2011 CSC 59, [2011] 3 R.C.S. 616).
Une nuance apportée assez récemment modifiecette interprétation du droit. Dans un arrêt postérieur à Dunsmuir, la Cour suprême a conclu que la norme de la décision correctes’applique à toutes les questions de droit qui revêtent une importance capitale pour le système juridique et qui sont étrangères àl’expertise relative du tribunal administratif, et non pas aux seules questions qui font intervenir des principes de common law ou de droitcivil (Canada (Commission canadienne des droits de la personne) c. Canada (Procureur général), 2011 CSC 53, [2011] 3 R.C.S. 471).[par. 12] [25] Dans Dunsmuir c.
Nouveau-Brunswick, 2008 CSC 9, [2008] 1 R.C.S. 190, la Cour suprême a expliqué la délégationadministrative de certaines responsabilités à des organismes spécialisés et le rôle particulier que jouent ces organismes dans l’exercice dupouvoir que le législateur leur confie par voie législative. Ce rôle doit être distingué de celui du corps judiciaire : Souvent, le législateur fédéral ou provincial est bien inspiré de confier à un autre organisme qu’une cour de justice le soin de rendre unedécision administrative. La cour de justice a sur l’Administration un point de vue extérieur à celle-ci.
Il est loisible au législateur de s’enremettre au jugement d’un décideur qu’il désigne (en particulier quant à la raisonnabilité du résultat) non seulement dans le cas destribunaux administratifs auxquels s’intéressent principalement mes collègues, mais aussi (suivant une démarche globale) dans le cas d’unministre, d’un organisme, d’un fonctionnaire, d’un corps élu ou d’un autre organisme administratif ou d’origine législative.
En l’absenced’un droit d’appel inconditionnel prévu par la loi, la cour de révision doit généralement respecter l’exercice du pouvoir discrétionnaire,surtout en présence d’une clause privative. [par. 123] [26] Dans Dunsmuir, toujours, la Cour a écrit : La jurisprudence actuelle peut être mise à contribution pour déterminer quelles questions emportent l’application de la norme de laraisonnabilité. Lorsqu’un tribunal administratif interprète sa propre loi constitutive ou une loi étroitement liée à son mandat et dont il aune connaissance approfondie, la déférence est habituellement de mise : Société Radio-Canada c.
Canada (Conseil des relations dutravail), (SCC), [1995] 1 R.C.S. 157, par. 48; Conseil de l’éducation de Toronto (Cité) c. F.E.E.E.S.O., district 15, (SCC), [1997] 1 R.C.S. 487, par. 39. Elle peut également s’imposer lorsque le tribunal administratif a acquis uneexpertise dans l’application d’une règle générale de common law ou de droit civil dans son domaine spécialisé : Toronto (Ville) c.S.C.F.P., par. 72. L’arbitrage en droit du travail demeure un domaine où cette approche se révèle particulièrement indiquée. Lajurisprudence a considérablement évolué depuis l’arrêt McLeod c.
Egan, (SCC), [1975] 1 R.C.S. 517, et la Cour s’estdissociée de la position stricte qu’elle y avait adoptée. Dans cette affaire, la Cour avait statué que l’interprétation, par un décideuradministratif, d’une autre loi que celle qui le constitue est toujours susceptible d’annulation par voie de contrôle judiciaire. [par. 54] [Je souligne.] [27] Il me paraît clair que l’interprétation donnée de la
Loi sur les produits naturels par le comité appelle à la déférence. Commel’expliquent les arrêts Barreau du Québec et J.D. Irving, Limited, il existe désormais, en droit, une présomption réfutable de déférenceenvers le tribunal administratif qui interprète sa loi constitutive. J’estime que la question d’interprétation, ici, n’entre pas dans lescatégories établies pour lesquelles la norme de contrôle appropriée est celle de la décision correcte. Encore une fois, je cite J.D.
Irving,Limited : Également, la question d’interprétation, ici, n’entre pas dans les catégories établies pour lesquelles la norme de contrôle appropriée estcelle de la décision correcte. Ne sont bien entendu soulevées, ni une question constitutionnelle, ni la véritable question de compétenceprécédemment définie. La question d’interprétation ne constitue pas, non plus, une question de droit qui revêt une importance capitalepour le système juridique et qui est étrangère au champ d’expertise de la Commission.
Cela dit, le présent appel exige de statuer sur unequestion divergente, qui fait entrer en jeu l’application de principes d’equity et de common law. J.D. Irving maintient que la conventionde coupe fait d’elle une propriétaire des terres qui y sont désignées et que, de ce fait, la
Loi sur les produits naturels ne s’applique pas.Dans la mesure où le bien-fondé de cet argument dépend de la caractérisation des conventions de coupe en common law, l’appréciationet l’application par la Commission de principes de common law et d’equity ne commandent pas la déférence de notre Cour. Et quoiquela jurisprudence admette des exceptions, il ne s’agit pas ici d’un cas d’exception. [par. 23]
[28] Comme je l’ai indiqué précédemment, la norme de contrôle applicable, à l’égard de la question d’interprétation dont nous sommes saisis, est celle de la « décision raisonnable ». La question de savoir s’il est de la compétence de l’Office d’établir des redevances et d’y assujettir certains groupes ne constitue pas une véritable question de compétence, pour laquelle la norme appropriée serait celle de la décision correcte.
La question d’interprétation n’entre pas dans les catégories reconnues pour lesquelles la norme appropriée est habituellement celle de la décision correcte. [29] Également, dans l’arrêt Dunsmuir , la Cour souligne que les tribunaux sont tenus à la déférence lorsque le contrôle porte sur des questions mixtes de fait et de droit, questions qu’abordait l’analyse menée par le comité.
Une déférence importante s’impose envers le décideur administratif et les cours de révision doivent éviter le contrôle judiciaire de décisions raisonnables. [30] Il est clair que l’analyse entreprise par le comité consistait en un travail d’interprétation et d’application de sa propre loi constitutive. Il n’était pas nécessaire de se pencher sur l’application des principes de common law ou d’equity. Il ne se posait aucune « question de droit générale » qui revêtait une importance capitale pour le système juridique et qui était étrangère au domaine d’expertise du tribunal.
De ce fait, la jurisprudence appelle à une déférence considérable. En l’espèce, un comité a interprété la loi qui le régit, sur des questions relevant de son expertise et d’une compétence d’origine législative qui lui est exclusive.
Enfin, la décision qui en est résultée est raisonnable. [31] Le second moyen d’appel porte que le [TRADUCTION] « comité de la Commission des produits de ferme du Nouveau- Brunswick n’a pas rendu une décision appropriée sur les redevances, d’application interprovinciale et internationale, établies à l’extérieur du Nouveau-Brunswick », imposées sur des opérations interprovinciales ou internationales; à ce propos, le comité a déterminé qu’il n’avait pas compétence sur les redevances établies par un organisme fédéral dans la réglementation du commerce interprovincial d’un produit agricole.
Comme je l’ai indiqué, l’avocat de M me Dykstra en a convenu . [32] Dans sa décision, le comité a écrit : [TRADUCTION] L’autorisation de percevoir des redevances sur la vente intraprovinciale de bovins de même que la structure de redevances applicable ressortissent à un règlement du Nouveau-Brunswick, le Règlement concernant le Plan et les redevances relatifs aux bovins -
Loi sur les produits naturels . Une
partie de ces redevances, appelée parfois « prélèvement canadien du bœuf », est remise à l’Office canadien de recherche, de développement des marchés et de promotion des bovins de boucherie. La
partie prélevée lui est versée en application d’une entente de services et de gestion de mandat que l’Office canadien a conclue avec les Éleveurs bovins du Nouveau-Brunswick. Le comité convient que les redevances qu’autorise à imposer l’ al. 12(1)
a) du Règlement concernant le Plan et les redevances relatifs aux bovins -
Loi sur les produits naturels s’appliquent uniquement à la commercialisation de bovins à l’intérieur de la province du Nouveau- Brunswick. De fait, l’arrêté n o 2016-1 des Éleveurs de bovins du Nouveau-Brunswick ( Arrêté sur les prélèvements ), daté du 11 octobre 2016, indique qu’il ne s’applique qu’à chaque tête de bovin vendue au Nouveau-Brunswick. L’appelante a contesté la décision de l’intimé, prise le 11 octobre 2016, de faire passer le montant du prélèvement provincial de 3 $ à 6 $, plus TVH, par tête de bovin vendue.
L’intimé a fait valoir que la nécessité de la hausse avait été établie par l’analyse économique et par l’analyse des coûts qu’il avait réalisées et qui avaient conclu que cette hausse s’imposait afin de pouvoir répondre aux exigences de l’industrie et faire face au coût accru des activités et des programmes provinciaux. Le comité est d’avis que l’ art. 12 du Règlement concernant le Plan et les redevances relatifs aux bovins -
Loi sur les produits naturels autorise l’intimé à établir des redevances provinciales. [p. 7 de la décision du comité] [33] En ce qui concerne les deux moyens d’appel, certains pourront faire observer que le comité n’a pas donné de détails sur les motifs de la conclusion interprétative à laquelle il est arrivé, mais je n’oublie pas les indications données par la juge Abella dans l’arrêt Newfoundland and Labrador Nurses’ Union c. Terre-Neuve-et-Labrador (Conseil du Trésor) , 2011 CSC 62 , [2011] 3 R.C.S. 708 :
Il importe de souligner que la Cour a souscrit à l’observation du professeur Dyzenhaus selon laquelle la notion de retenue envers lesdécisions des tribunaux administratifs commande [TRADUCTION] « une attention respectueuse aux motifs donnés ou qui pourraientêtre donnés à l’appui d’une décision ». Dans son
article cité par la Cour, le professeur Dyzenhaus explique en ces termes comment lecaractère raisonnable se rapporte aux motifs : [traduction] Le « caractère raisonnable » s’entend ici du fait que les motifs étayent, effectivement ou en principe, la conclusion.Autrement dit, même si les motifs qui ont en fait été donnés ne semblent pas tout à fait convenables pour étayer la décision, la cour dejustice doit d’abord chercher à les compléter avant de tenter de les contrecarrer.
Car s’il est vrai que parmi les motifs pour lesquels il y alieu de faire preuve de retenue on compte le fait que c’est le tribunal, et non la cour de justice, qui a été désigné comme décideur depremière ligne, la connaissance directe qu’a le tribunal du différend, son expertise, etc., il est aussi vrai qu’on doit présumer dubien-fondé de sa décision même si ses motifs sont lacunaires à certains égards. [Passage souligné dans l’original.] (David Dyzenhaus, « The Politics of Deference: Judicial Review and Democracy », dans Michael Taggart, dir., The Province ofAdministrative Law (1997), 279, p. 304) Voir aussi David Mullan, « Dunsmuir v.
New Brunswick, Standard of Review and Procedural Fairness for Public Servants : Let’s Try Again! » (2008), 21 C.J.A.L.P. 117, p. 136; David Phillip Jones, c.r., et Anne S. de Villars, c.r., Principles of Administrative Law (5e éd.2009), p. 380; et Canada (Citoyenneté et Immigration) c.
Khosa, 2009 CSC 12, [2009] 1 R.C.S. 339, par. 63. […] Je ne suis pas d’avis que, considéré dans son ensemble, l’arrêt Dunsmuir signifie que l’« insuffisance » des motifs permet à elle seule decasser une décision, ou que les cours de révision doivent effectuer deux analyses distinctes, l’une portant sur les motifs et l’autre, sur lerésultat (Donald J. M. Brown et John M. Evans, Judicial Review of Administrative Action in Canada (feuilles mobiles), §§12:5330 et12:5510).
Il s’agit d’un exercice plus global : les motifs doivent être examinés en corrélation avec le résultat et ils doivent permettre desavoir si ce dernier fait
partie des issues possibles. Il me semble que c’est ce que la Cour voulait dire dans Dunsmuir en invitant les coursde révision à se demander si « la décision et sa justification possèdent les attributs de la raisonnabilité » (par. 47). […] Il se peut que les motifs ne fassent pas référence à tous les arguments, dispositions législatives, précédents ou autres détails que le jugesiégeant en révision aurait voulu y lire, mais cela ne met pas en doute leur validité ni celle du résultat au terme de l’analyse du caractèreraisonnable de la décision.
Le décideur n’est pas tenu de tirer une conclusion explicite sur chaque élément constitutif du raisonnement, si subordonné soit-il, qui a mené à sa conclusion finale (Union internationale des employés des services, local no 333 c. Nipawin DistrictStaff Nurses Assn., (SCC), [1975] 1 R.C.S. 382, p. 391). En d’autres termes, les motifs répondent aux critères établisdans Dunsmuir s’ils permettent à la cour de révision de comprendre le fondement de la décision du tribunal et de déterminer si laconclusion fait
partie des issues possibles acceptables. [par. 12, 14 et 16] [34] Comme la juge Abella le précise dans l’arrêt Newfoundland and Labrador Nurses’, « [o]n ne s’atten[d] pas à de laperfection » (par. 18). Nous devrions, en tant que juges siégeant en révision, nous demander si les motifs du comité, examinés à lalumière du cadre législatif dans lequel il agit, communiquent de façon satisfaisante les bases de sa décision (Procureur général du Nouveau-Brunswick c. Pembridge Insurance Company, 2011 NBCA 2, 368 R.N.-B. (2e) 134).
Je suis d’avis que, si l’on examine lerésultat dans le contexte du droit, du dossier et des observations des parties, les motifs du comité apparaissent détaillés. Je cite, encoreune fois, la juge Abella dans Newfoundland and Labrador Nurses’ : L’arbitrage permet aux parties à la convention collective de régler leurs différends dans les plus brefs délais, tout en sachant que lasolution de rechange consiste non pas à se pourvoir en contrôle judiciaire, mais à négocier dans deux ou trois ans une nouvelleconvention collective contenant des modalités différentes.
Ce processus serait paralysé si l’on exigeait des arbitres qu’ils répondent àtous les arguments ou modes possibles d’analyse. [par. 25] [35] Je sais qu’il ne s’agit pas ici, comme dans Newfoundland and Labrador Nurses’, d’une affaire de négociation collective, maisla situation, pour ce qui est du contrôle des motifs d’un comité d’origine législative, est analogue. Les comités rendent des décisions
administratives et leur rôle doit être distingué de celui du corps judiciaire. En l’espèce, il ressort des motifs que le comité a bien saisi les questions en litige et qu’il est parvenu à un résultat faisant sans aucun doute
partie des issues possibles raisonnables. Je suis donc d’avis de rejeter l’appel et de fixer les dépens à 2 500 $.