2017 NBCA 17, 2017 NBCA 17
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 3-16-CA SHIRLEY SHANNON and MICHAEL SHANNON APPELLANTS SHIRLEY SHANNON et MICHAEL SHANNON APPELANTS - and - - et - CANADIAN MEDICAL PROTECTIVEASSOCIATION RESPONDENT ASSOCIATION CANADIENNE DEPROTECTION MÉDICALE INTIMÉE Shannon v. Canadian Medical ProtectiveAssociation, 2017 NBCA 17 Shannon c.
Association canadienne de protectionmédicale, 2017 NBCA 17 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Larlee The Honourable Justice Green The Honourable Justice French CORAM : l’honorable juge Larlee l’honorable juge Green l’honorable juge French Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’sBench: January 4, 2016 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine: le 4 janvier 2016 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: 2016 NBQB 4 Décision frappée d’appel : 2016 NBBR 4 Preliminary or incidental proceedings: Court of Queen’s Bench: 2006 NBQB 274 2013 NBQB 214 2015 NBQB 123 Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : Cour du Banc de la Reine : 2006 NBBR 274 2013 NBQB 214 , 2013 NBBR 214 2015 NBBR 123
Appeal heard: February 15, 2017 Appel entendu : le 15 février 2017 Judgment rendered: May 4, 2017 Jugement rendu : le 4 mai 2017 Reasons for judgment by: The Honourable Justice Larlee Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge Larlee Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Green The Honourable Justice French Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Green l’honorable juge French Counsel at hearing: For the appellants: Eugene J. Mockler, Q.C. For the respondent: Kenneth B. McCullogh, Q.C. and Domenic A. Crolla Avocats à l’audience : Pour les appelants : Eugene J. Mockler, c.r. Pour l’intimée : Kenneth B.
McCullogh, c.r. et Domenic A. Crolla THE COURT The appeal is dismissed with costs of $2,500. LA COUR L’appel est rejeté avec dépens de 2 500 $. The judgment of the Court was delivered by LARLEE, J.A. [ 1 ] This appeal deals with the liability of the respondent, Canadian Medical Protective Association (CMPA), to indemnify a member for damages in tort. Specifically, Shirley and Michael Shannon seek a reversal of a decision by a judge of the Court of Queen’s Bench which denied liability of the respondent CMPA to indemnify its member, Dr. Akuffo-Akoto, who owes Mrs. and Mr.
Shannon a judgment debt. [ 2 ] Without going into great detail about the dispute between the appellants and the respondent, suffice it to say it is a claim for damages in tort. In April 2000, the appellants commenced an action against psychiatrist Dr. Akuffo- Akoto. The appellants alleged the psychiatrist put Mrs. Shannon on a debilitating course of medication, gave professional advice that
undermined her marriage, and engaged in oral sex and sexual intercourse with her. Subsequently, Mrs. Shannon experienced severe depression, and suffered injuries from a suicide attempt. A judge of the Court of Queen’s Bench entered a default judgment against the psychiatrist and assessed and awarded damages to both appellants, plus costs and disbursements. The appellants have been unsuccessful in enforcing their judgment, as Dr. Akuffo-Akoto has left Canada; his whereabouts are uncertain and he has no assets in the country.
The appellants commenced the action giving rise to this appeal against the CMPA on the basis it is liable to indemnify its member, and, by extension, the appellants. A more detailed history of the conduct of this case is set out in the reasons of the trial judge at paragraphs 10- 12, reported at 2016 NBQB 4 . The history of the CMPA is also found at paragraphs 17-41 of the decision. [ 3 ] The appellants in their Notice of Appeal seek a reversal of the trial decision and an order that the respondent settle the judgment debt they are owed by Dr. Akuffo-Akoto.
Alternatively, they ask an order be made directing the respondent to pay the damages awarded by the judge to Mr. Shannon. The judge of the Court of Queen’s Bench who granted default judgment assessed damages of $452,369.34 to Mrs. Shannon, $109,366.00 to Mr. Shannon and $22,000 in costs. Dr. Akuffo-Akoto was not represented or present at the hearing for the assessment of damages. [ 4 ] Interestingly, and to its credit, it is the respondent that made the case in favour of a correctness standard, which the appellants did not dispute.
In support of this submission, the respondent relies on Ledcor Construction Ltd. v. Northbridge Indemnity Insurance Co. , 2016 SCC 37 , [2016] S.C.J. No. 37 (QL) , where Wagner J. states : I would recognize an exception to this Court’s holding in [ Sattva Capital Corp. v. Creston Moly Corp. , 2014 SCC 53 , [2014] 2 S.C.R. 633] that contractual
interpretation is a question of mixed fact and law subject to deferential review on appeal. In my view, where an appeal involves the
interpretation of a standard form contract, the
interpretation at issue is of precedential value, and there is no meaningful factual matrix that is specific to the parties to assist the
interpretation process, this
interpretation is better characterized as a question of law subject to correctness review. [para. 24] The respondent contends “[b]ecause every member of the CMPA agrees to a standard, uniform relationship with the CMPA, decisions respecting the CMPA-member relationship are analogous to the contracts of adhesion considered in Ledcor ”.
It is important to note the trial judge did not make a finding that some form of contractual relationship exists between the CMPA and its members, and she noted at paragraph 79 the CMPA’s submission was that there was “no contract per se” but instead “an agreement that the physician may request assistance and the CMPA will consider and may exercise its discretion to grant assistance”. I have been unable to find any jurisprudence relying on Wagner J.’s comments regarding the standard of review in Ledcor outside of an explicitly contractual relationship. Further, I am not prepared to adopt the expansive
interpretation of Ledcor advanced by the respondent. I hasten to add, in any event, definitive determination of the issue of standard of review has no impact on the outcome of this appeal, as I do not find the trial judge erred in law even on a correctness standard (see JEKE Enterprises Ltd. v. Northmont Resort Properties Ltd. , 2017 BCCA 38 , [2017] B.C.J. No. 111 (QL) , per Bauman C.J.B.C. at para. 46), for the reasons below. [ 5 ] In their Notice of Appeal, the appellants articulated eight grounds of appeal, but focused their oral submissions on three issues in contention before us.
These may be summarized as: (1) whether the CMPA should be allowed to deny an obligation to provide mandatory professional liability insurance to physicians in New Brunswick; (2) whether the appellants are a class of persons entitled to benefit from the indemnity arrangement between the CMPA and Dr. Akuffo-Akoto; and (3) the effect of public policy on the decision of whether to classify the CMPA as an insurer. [ 6 ] I will deal only with the first issue, which encompasses four grounds of appeal, because it is dispositive of the present appeal.
First of all, I note this issue is framed differently than what was argued at trial. The trial judge framed the issue before her as follows: “Is the Canadian Medical Protective Association an insurer?” (para. 1). The appellants now ask this Court to decide whether the CMPA should be allowed to deny an obligation to provide mandatory professional liability insurance to physicians in New Brunswick. I emphasize this is not the question the trial judge was asked to answer and it is not a question we will review.
For present purposes, I would narrow the question as whether in the circumstances of this case the CMPA has an obligation to indemnify a former member who owes the appellants a judgment debt. [ 7 ] The trial judge found the CMPA is not an insurer but rather a mutual defence association for physicians. She held that the essential components of an insurance contract were not present in the relationship between the CMPA and its members. She found the assistance the CMPA provides to its members is discretionary: Qureshi (Guardian ad litem of) v. Nickerson , [1991] B.C.J. No. 264 (C.A.) (QL) .
She stated: In very broad strokes, the CMPA’s guiding principle is that a member will be granted assistance if they are a member at the time of the alleged incident and that the alleged incident is directly related to medical care and/or to their professional character. The CMPA will deny assistance to a member where there has been a professional finding of a criminal act or if the member stops cooperating with the CMPA. [para. 31]
[ 8 ] The essential question to be asked in the circumstances of this case is whether the CMPA should provide assistance to one of its members if the claim is based on a sexual assault . The answer to this question suffices to dispose of the appeal. The evidence reveals that even though the CMPA does not consider itself an insurer and that it claims to exercise its discretion in a fair and equitable manner in order to indemnify its members for negligent malpractice, it would never provide assistance to a member where the complaint is based on criminal activity, in this case sexual abuse of a patient. Drs.
Schollenberg, Gray and Stern testified that sexual impropriety with a patient is not within the ambit of medical practice. [ 9 ] In denying the appellants’ claims, the trial judge stated the following with respect to this issue: There are two barriers for the Shannons in recovering from the CMPA damages in regards to the medical care rendered by Dr. Akoto. Firstly, at no time did Dr. Akoto ever request the assistance of the CMPA in regards to the civil action filed by the Shannons in 2000. Secondly, Justice McLellan’s decision does not identify damages attributable to negligent medical care.
Justice McLellan’s decision was focused on the impact of the sexual abuse committed upon Mrs. Shannon and the damages which flowed [from] the detrimental impact this abuse had on her physical, mental and emotional wellbeing. [para. 99] [ 10 ] There is evidence to support these findings. The Shannons filed their Notice of Action in 2000 and Dr. Akuffo-Akoto had left Canada and relocated in England by 1997. [ 11 ] Specifically with respect to the default judgment on which the claim is based the judge who assessed damages predicated them on a sexual assault.
The trial judge recalled that judge’s assessment in her decision: 2. The female plaintiff was referred by her family physician to the defendant. From 1994 until 1997 as a psychiatrist he purported to treat her. Instead he abused her by putting her on an excessive number of medications, undermining her relationship with her husband and in 1996 prevailing upon her to have sex with him on two occasions. She describes it as rape and says that he told her that if she told anyone she would be sent to a mental institution. 3. She became very distraught and upset.
She destroyed some valuable personal property of her husband, the co-plaintiff. She attempted suicide by driving a car into the path of a tractor-trailer in the spring of 1997. Counsel advises that no other legal action was commenced with respect to that collision. 4. As a result of that collision she suffered very serious physical injuries that resulted in orthopedic problems. She has been left in permanent pain and misery, physically and emotionally disabled and unemployable. Her relationship with her family has been severely affected. 5.
The psychiatrist’s conduct in over-medicating and sexually abusing the female plaintiff occurred during a time in his life when he appears to have been highly regarded in the community and was even singing in a church choir. Although his conduct was wrong from any legal perspective, it could probably also be described as the manifestation of some mental illness. In a conversation with her taped in early 1997 he emphasized: I’m sorry that I took advantage of you when we felt aroused, that we had sex, I’m terribly sorry, very sorry, I’m very, very sorry for those things – I do not think you are a bad person.
You are not a bad person ... I’m sorry ... that I allowed myself to take advantage of you by having sexual intercourse with you. And I apologize profusely. 6. I find that the female plaintiff’s serious physical injuries from the motor vehicle collision in 1997 as well as her emotional suffering were caused or contributed to by the defendant’s misconduct and sexual abuse of her. [para. 12] [Emphasis in original.] Clearly and unquestionably, in my view, the appellants’ action against the respondent is rooted in sexual assault.
[ 12 ] The trial judge accepted the evidence of three physicians, Drs. Stern, Gray and Tomkins, and an expert witness, Mr. John W. Gelston, an insurance broker of 40 years’ experience specializing in providing liability insurance to medical professionals, who testified no liability insurance policies are available for physicians in the Canadian market which would provide coverage for damages arising out of the sexual abuse of a patient, considered to be a deliberate act. She accepted Mr.
Gelston’s evidence from his expert report: There has always been an exclusion for sexual misconduct in malpractice insurance for medical practitioners. The exclusion[s] since the 1980’s have become stronger and more profound over time. The more current iteration not only excludes sexual misconduct but now goes on to exclude such issues as sexually transmitted diseases, accidental or deliberate. It has been an exclusion that predates 1992 that has evolved into stronger language as time has gone on. [para. 57] [Emphasis in original.] [ 13 ] Essentially in dismissing Mrs.
Shannon’s claim, the trial judge accepted the respondent’s argument with respect to the sexual assault basis of the claim. In her decision, the trial judge summarized the appellant’s pleadings as being “ the CMPA is liable to indemnify for the injuries and resulting damages awarded by Justice McLellan which arise out of Dr. Akoto’s breaches of fiduciary duty, malpractice and negligence” (para. 14).
In their submissions before this Court, the appellants also pointed to American jurisprudence that has recognized sexual acts conducted within the psychiatrist-patient relationship constitute medical malpractice: Vigilant Insurance Company v. Employers Insurance of Wausau , 626 F. Supp. 262 (S.D.N.Y. 1986); Patricia Barrett Snyder v. Byron Major , M.D. et al. , 789 F. Supp. 646 (S.D.N.Y. 1992). However, it is well-recognized in Canadian jurisprudence that sexual contact is an intentional act, rather than being negligent or falling within the scope of malpractice.
In concurring minority reasons in Non-Marine Underwriters, Lloyd’s of London v. Scalera , 2000 SCC 24 , [2000] 1 S.C.R. 551 , Iacobucci J. noted: […] A plaintiff cannot change an intentional tort into a negligent one simply by choice of words, or vice versa. Therefore, when ascertaining the scope of the duty to defend, a court must look beyond the choice of labels, and examine the substance of the allegations contained in the pleadings. […] [para. 50] For the importance of proper pleadings see: The Government of Nunavut v.
Humphrey Schram , 2014 NBCA 53 , 423 N.B.R. (2d) 294 , paras. 15-16 ; and Acadie-Presse Ltée v. Blanchard , 2013 NBCA 58 , 409 N.B.R. (2d) 152 , para. 47 . [ 14 ] The appellants have failed to persuade me the trial judge has made an error in dismissing the claim based on sexual assault. She did not misdirect herself and the decision she arrived at was not wrong. I find myself in agreement with her reasons on the issue with respect to sexual assault and would accordingly dismiss the appeal with costs of $2,500.
Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par LA JUGE LARLEE [1] Le présent appel porte sur l’obligation de l’intimée, l’Association canadienne de protection médicale (ACPM), d’indemniser un membre pour des dommages-intérêts qu’il doit payer en responsabilité civile délictuelle. Plus précisément, Shirley et Michael Shannon sollicitent l’infirmation d’une décision d’une juge de la Cour du Banc de la Reine qui a exonéré l’intimée, ACPM, de l’obligation d’indemniser son membre, le D r Akuffo-Akoto, lequel est redevable d’une dette judiciaire envers M me et M.
Shannon. [2] Sans entrer dans les détails du différend qui oppose les appelants et l’intimée, disons seulement qu’il s’agit d’une demande en dommages-intérêts fondée sur la responsabilité civile délictuelle. En avril 2000, les appelants ont intenté une action contre le D r Akuffo-Akoto, psychiatre. Ils soutiennent que le psychiatre a administré à M me Shannon un traitement médicamenteux débilitant, qu’il lui a donné des conseils qui ont nui à son mariage et qu’il s’est livré à des actes sexuels oraux et a eu des rapports sexuels avec elle.
Subséquemment, M me Shannon a sombré dans une grave dépression et a souffert de blessures à la suite d’une tentative de suicide. Un juge de la Cour du Banc de la Reine a rendu un jugement par défaut à l’encontre du psychiatre et il a procédé à l’évaluation des dommages-intérêts, qu’il a accordés aux deux appelants, en sus des dépens et débours. Les appelants n’ont pas réussi à faire exécuter leur jugement puisque le D r Akuffo-Akoto a quitté le Canada; on ne sait pas où il se trouve et il ne possède pas d’actif au pays.
Les appelants ont intenté l’action qui a donné lieu au présent appel contre l’ACPM en faisant valoir que cette dernière a l’obligation d’indemniser son membre et, par extension, les appelants. Un historique plus détaillé de l’évolution de cette cause se trouve
dans les motifs de la juge du procès aux paragraphes 10 à 12, publiés à 2016 NBBR 4 . Elle retrace aussi l’histoire de l’ACPM aux paragraphes 17 à 41 de la décision. [3] Dans leur avis d’appel, les appelants sollicitent l’infirmation de la décision de première instance et une ordonnance enjoignant à l’intimée de régler la dette judiciaire dont le D r Akuffo-Akoto est redevable envers eux. Subsidiairement, ils sollicitent une ordonnance enjoignant à l’intimée de payer les dommages-intérêts accordés par le juge à M. Shannon.
Le juge de la Cour du Banc de la Reine qui a accordé le jugement par défaut a évalué les dommages-intérêts à 452 369,34 $ pour M me Shannon, à 109 366 $ pour M. Shannon, et les dépens à 22 000 $. Le D r Akuffo-Akoto n’était pas représenté ni présent à l’audience pour l’évaluation des dommages-intérêts. [4] Fait intéressant – et c’est tout à son honneur – c’est l’intimée qui a invoqué la norme de la décision correcte, ce que les appelants n’ont pas contesté. À l’appui de cette observation, l’intimée invoque l’affaire Ledcor Construction Ltd. c.
Société d’assurance d’indemnisation Northbridge , 2016 CSC 37 , [2016] A.C.S. n o 37 (QL) , dans laquelle le juge Wagner s’est exprimé en ces termes : Je suis d’avis de reconnaître une exception à la conclusion tirée dans [ Sattva Capital Corp. c. Creston Moly Corp. , 2014 CSC 53 , [2014] 2 R.C.S. 633] selon laquelle l’interprétation contractuelle est une question mixte de fait et de droit dont le contrôle en appel doit être empreint de déférence.
Selon moi, lorsqu’un appel porte sur l’interprétation d’un contrat type, que l’interprétation en litige a valeur de précédent et que l’exercice d’interprétation ne repose sur aucun fondement factuel significatif qui est propre aux parties concernées, il est plus juste de dire que cette interprétation est une question de droit assujettie à un contrôle selon la norme de la décision correcte. [par. 24] L’intimée soutient que [TRADUCTION] « [p]uisque chacun des membres de l’ACPM s’engage avec l’ACPM dans une relation type uniforme, les décisions portant sur la relation entre l’ACPM et un membre sont similaires aux contrats d’adhésion dont il était question dans l’affaire Ledcor » .
Il est important de noter que la juge du procès n’a pas conclu à l’existence d’une relation contractuelle entre l’ACPM et ses membres et elle indique au paragraphe 79 que la position de l’ACPM est qu’« [il] n’existe pas de contrat comme tel entre l’Association et ses médecins membres, mais plutôt une entente prévoyant que le médecin peut demander une assistance et que l’Association examinera cette demande et pourra ensuite exercer son pouvoir discrétionnaire d’y donner suite ou non ».
Je n’ai pas pu trouver de source jurisprudentielle qui s’appuie sur les commentaires du juge Wagner au sujet de la norme de contrôle dans l’affaire Ledcor en l’absence d’une relation contractuelle explicite. De plus, je ne suis pas prête à adopter l’interprétation élastique de l’affaire Ledcor qu’avance l’intimée.
Je m’empresse d’ajouter que de toute façon, le fait de trancher sur la question de la norme de contrôle n’a pas d’incidence sur l’issue du présent appel; je ne peux conclure que la juge du procès a commis une erreur de droit même au regard de la norme de la décision correcte (voir JEKE Enterprises Ltd. c. Northmont Resort Properties Ltd. , 2017 BCCA 38 , [2017] B.C.J.
No. 111 (QL) , le juge en chef Bauman au par. 46), pour les motifs exposés ci-dessous. [5] Dans leur avis d’appel, les appelants ont énoncé huit moyens d’appel, mais ils ont concentré leurs observations orales sur trois questions dont nous sommes saisis. En résumé, il s’agit de déterminer : (1) si l’ACPM peut s’exonérer de l’obligation de fournir une couverture d’assurance responsabilité civile professionnelle obligatoire aux médecins au Nouveau- Brunswick; (2) si les appelants font
partie d’une catégorie de personnes ayant le droit de bénéficier des arrangements en matière d’indemnité conclus entre l’ACPM et le D r Akuffo-Akoto; et (3) les considérations d’ordre public que comporte la décision de considérer l’ACPM comme un assureur. [6] Je ne traiterai que de la première question, qui couvre quatre moyens d’appel, parce qu’elle est décisive en l’espèce. Premièrement, je souligne que cette question n’est pas formulée comme celle qui a été débattue lors du procès.
La juge du procès a formulé la question dont elle était saisie de la façon suivante : « L’Association canadienne de protection médicale est- elle un assureur? » (par. 1). Les appelants demandent cette fois à notre Cour de décider si l’ACPM devrait avoir le droit de se soustraire à l’obligation de fournir une couverture d’assurance responsabilité civile professionnelle obligatoire aux médecins au Nouveau- Brunswick. J’insiste sur le fait que ce n’est pas la question dont la juge du procès était saisie et nous ne réviserons pas cette question.
Pour les besoins qui nous occupent, je limiterais la question à celle de savoir si dans les circonstances de l’espèce, l’ACPM a l’obligation d’indemniser un ancien membre qui est redevable d’une dette judiciaire envers les appelants. [7] La juge du procès a conclu que l’ACPM n’est pas un assureur, mais plutôt une société mutuelle vouée à la défense des médecins. Elle a conclu que les éléments clés qui sont essentiels à l’existence d’un contrat d’assurance ne sont pas présents dans la relation qui existe entre l’ACPM et ses membres.
Elle a conclu à la nature discrétionnaire de l’assistance que l’Association offre à ses membres : Qureshi (Guardian ad litem of) c. Nickerson , [1991] B.C.J. No. 264 (C.A.) (QL) . Voici ce qu’elle a dit : [TRADUCTION]
En termes très généraux, l’Association a comme principe directeur qu’une assistance sera offerte à un membre s’il avait cette qualité au moment du présumé incident et si cet incident est directement lié aux soins médicaux prodigués par ce membre ou à son caractère professionnel.
L’Association refusera son assistance à un membre dans les cas où un tribunal administratif compétent a conclu à l’existence d’un acte criminel ou si le membre cesse de coopérer avec l’Association. [par. 31] [8] La question essentielle qu’il faut se poser en l’espèce est celle de savoir si l’ACPM devrait offrir son assistance à l’un de ses membres si la réclamation est fondée sur une agression sexuelle . La réponse à cette question suffit pour disposer de l’appel.
Il ressort de la preuve que même si l’ACPM ne se considère pas comme un assureur et qu’elle prétend exercer son pouvoir discrétionnaire de manière juste et équitable pour indemniser ses membres contre la négligence professionnelle, elle n’accorderait jamais son assistance à un membre si la plainte découlait d’une activité criminelle, comme en l’espèce l’agression sexuelle d’une patiente. Les D rs Schollenberg, Gray et Stern ont témoigné que l’inconduite sexuelle à l’égard d’un patient n’est pas considérée comme faisant
partie des soins médicaux. [9] En rejetant les revendications des appelants, la juge du procès s’est prononcée sur cette question en ces termes : [TRADUCTION] Les Shannon doivent surmonter deux obstacles pour recouvrer de l’Association des dommages-intérêts au
titre des soins médicaux prodigués par le D r Akoto. Premièrement, le D r Akoto n’a jamais sollicité l’assistance de l’Association en ce qui concerne l’action civile que les Shannon ont introduite en 2000. Deuxièmement, dans sa décision, le juge McLellan ne précise pas quels sont les préjudices imputables à de la négligence dans les soins médicaux.
En effet, la décision du juge McLellan portait sur les effets des abus sexuels dont M me Shannon avait été victime et sur les dommages-intérêts découlant des répercussions dévastatrices que ces abus avaient eues sur son bien-être physique, mental et émotionnel. [par. 99] [10] Des éléments de preuve soutiennent ces conclusions.
Les Shannon ont déposé leur avis de poursuite en 2000 et le D r Akuffo-Akoto avait déjà quitté le Canada pour s’installer en Angleterre en 1997. [11] S’agissant précisément du jugement par défaut dont découle la présente demande, l’évaluation des dommages-intérêts qu’a faite le juge repose sur la prémisse d’une agression sexuelle. La juge du procès a relaté l’évaluation faite par le juge dans sa décision : [TRADUCTION] 2. La demanderesse a été adressée au défendeur par son médecin de famille. De 1994 à 1997, à
titre de psychiatre, le défendeur a prétendu la traiter. Il l’a plutôt maltraitée en lui prescrivant un nombre excessif de médicaments, en portant atteinte à sa relation avec son mari et, en 1996, en la persuadant d’avoir des relations sexuelles avec lui à deux occasions. Elle décrit ces incidents comme des viols et affirme qu’il lui a indiqué que, si elle en parlait à qui que ce soit, on l’enverrait dans un établissement psychiatrique. 3. Elle est devenue très effarée et bouleversée. Elle a détruit des biens personnels de valeur de son mari, le codemandeur.
Elle a essayé de se suicider en engageant sa voiture dans la voie d’une semi-remorque au printemps 1997. L’avocat avise la Cour qu’aucune autre action n’a été intentée en ce qui concerne cette collision. 4. En raison de cette collision, elle a subi des dommages physiques très graves occasionnant des problèmes orthopédiques. Depuis lors, elle éprouve souffrances et douleurs en permanence, est atteinte de déficiences physiques et de troubles affectifs et est inapte au travail. Sa relation avec sa famille a été gravement compromise. 5.
L’administration d’une quantité excessive de médicaments à la demanderesse par le psychiatre et les abus sexuels qu’il a commis contre elle se sont produits à une période de la vie du psychiatre où il aurait été tenu en haute estime par la collectivité; il chantait même dans une chorale d’église. Même si sa conduite était incorrecte du point de vue juridique, elle pourrait probablement être également décrite comme étant la manifestation d’une maladie mentale.
Dans une conversation avec la demanderesse, enregistrée au début de 1997, il a souligné : [TRADUCTION] « Je suis désolé d’avoir abusé de vous lorsque nous avons ressenti cette excitation, de ce que nous ayons eu des rapports sexuels. Je suis
vraiment désolé, profondément navré [...] Je suis vraiment, vraiment désolé de ce qui s’est passé [...] Je ne pense pas que vous soyez une mauvaise personne. Vous n’êtes pas une mauvaise personne [...] Je suis désolé [...] de m’être permis d’abuser de vous en ayant des relations sexuelles avec vous. Et je me confonds en excuse. 6.
Je conclus que le défendeur, par son inconduite à l’égard de la demanderesse et les abus sexuels commis contre elle, a causé ou a contribué à causer les dommages physiques graves qu’elle a subis dans l’accident de véhicule à moteur qui s’est produit en 1997, ainsi que les souffrances morales qu’elle endure. [par. 12] [Mots soulignés dans l’original.] Il est clair et incontestable, à mon avis, que l’action des appelants à l’encontre de l’intimée est fondée sur une agression sexuelle. [12] La juge du procès a accepté la preuve de trois médecins, les D rs Stern, Gray et Tomkins, et d’un témoin expert, M. John W.
Gelston, un courtier d’assurances possédant 40 années d’expérience qui se spécialise dans l’assurance de responsabilité offerte aux professionnels du domaine de la santé, lequel a témoigné qu’il n’y a pas de police d’assurance sur le marché canadien qui offrirait une couverture contre les dommages découlant de l’abus sexuel d’un patient, qui est considéré comme un acte délibéré. Elle a accepté la preuve contenue dans le rapport d’expert de M. Gelston : [TRADUCTION] Il y a toujours eu une exclusion au
titre de l’inconduite sexuelle dans les assurances contre la faute professionnelle que souscrivent les médecins. Depuis les années 1980, l’exclusion est devenue plus stricte et plus complète avec le temps. La version la plus récente exclut non seulement l’inconduite sexuelle, mais également des questions comme les maladies transmises sexuellement, qu’elles l’aient été de façon accidentelle ou délibérée.
Il s’agit d’une exclusion antérieure à 1992 dont le libellé est devenu plus strict avec le temps. [par. 57] [Mots soulignés dans l’original.] [13] Essentiellement, en rejetant la demande de M me Shannon, la juge du procès a accepté l’argument de l’intimée voulant que l’agression sexuelle constitue le fondement de la demande. Dans sa décision, la juge du procès a résumé ainsi la plaidoirie des appelants : « […] l’Association a l’obligation de verser une indemnisation au
titre des lésions et les dommages-intérêts en découlant que leur a accordés le juge McLellan par suite des violations du devoir fiducial, de la faute professionnelle et de la négligence commises par le D r Akoto » (par. 14). Dans les observations qu’ils ont présentées devant notre Cour, les appelants citent aussi la jurisprudence américaine, laquelle a reconnu que les actes sexuels commis entre un psychiatre et son patient constituent une faute médicale : Vigilant Insurance Company c. Employers Insurance of Wausau , 626 F. Supp. 262 (D.S.N.Y. 1986); Patricia Barrett Snyder c. Byron Major , M.D. et al. , 789 F.
Supp. 646 (D.S.N.Y. 1992). Toutefois, il est bien établi dans la jurisprudence canadienne qu’un contact sexuel est un acte intentionnel plutôt qu’un acte qui relève de la négligence ou de la faute médicale. Dans ses motifs minoritaires concordants dans l’affaire N on-Marine Underwriters, Lloyd’s of London c. Scalera , 2000 CSC 24 , [2000] 1 R.C.S 551 , le juge Iacobucci a mentionné ce qui suit : […] Un délit intentionnel ne peut devenir un délit de négligence, et vice versa, du seul fait des mots employés par la
partie demanderesse. Pour confirmer l’étendue de l’obligation de défendre, le tribunal doit donc aller au-delà de la terminologie choisie et tenir compte de la substance des allégations contenues dans les actes de procédure. […] [par. 50] Au sujet de l’importance de plaidoiries adéquates, voir : Le Gouvernement du Nunavut c. Humphrey Schram , 2014 NBCA 53 , 423 R.N.- B. (2 e ) 294 , par. 15 et 16 ; et Acadie-Presse Ltée c.
Blanchard , 2013 NBCA 58 , 409 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 152 , par. 47 . [14] Les appelants ne m’ont pas convaincue que la juge du procès a commis une erreur en rejetant la demande, qu’elle a considérée comme fondée sur une agression sexuelle. Elle ne s’est pas trompée et sa décision n’était pas erronée. Je souscris à ses motifs dans cette affaire en ce qui concerne l’agression sexuelle et je serais d’avis de rejeter l’appel en conséquence et de fixer les dépens à 2 500 $.