2023 NBCA 18, 2023 NBCA 18
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 72-22-CA MAZIN LOUIS NAEEM APPELLANT MAZIN LOUIS NAEEM APPELANT - and - - et - ROYAL BANK OF CANADA RESPONDENT BANQUE ROYALE DU CANADA INTIMÉE Naeem v. Royal Bank of Canada, 2023 NBCA 18 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice French The Honourable Justice LeBlond Naeem c.
Banque Royale du Canada, 2023 NBCA18 CORAM : l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge French l’honorable juge LeBlond Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’sBench: June 23, 2022 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de laReine : le 23 juin 2022 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: 2022 NBQB 131 Décision frappée d’appel : 2022 NBQB 131 , 2022 NBBR 131 Preliminary or incidental proceedings: None Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : aucune Appeal heard: January 18, 2023 Appel entendu : le 18 janvier 2023 Judgment rendered: March 23, 2023 Jugement rendu : le 23 mars 2023
Reasons for judgment: The Honourable Justice Quigg Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice French The Honourable Justice LeBlond Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: Lee McKeigan-Dempsey For the respondent: George L. Cooper, K.C. Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge Quigg Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge French l’honorable juge LeBlond Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appelant : Lee McKeigan-Dempsey Pour l’intimée : George L. Cooper, c.r. THE COURT The appeal is dismissed with costs of $3,500 payable to the respondent Royal Bank of Canada.
LA COUR L’appel est rejeté avec dépens de 3 500 $ payables à l’intimée la Banque Royale du Canada. The judgment of the Court was delivered by QUIGG, J.A. I. Introduction [ 1 ] On June 23, 2022, a judge of the Court of Queen’s Bench granted
summary judgment against Mazin Louis Naeem on the basis that two personal guarantees he had signed in favour of the respondent Royal Bank of Canada (“RBC”) were valid. The Guarantees secured debts owed by Mr. Naeem and his business partner, Paul Sibley, and companies 669699 N.B. Ltd (“669”) and New Future Lumber Ltd. (“NFL”). [ 2 ] Given the applicable standard of review and the evidential record, I conclude the motion judge did not fall into error in granting
summary judgment against Mr. Naeem. II. Facts [ 3 ] Mr. Naeem and Mr. Sibley were shareholders and directors of three companies: 669, NFL, and MP Wood
Atlantic Ltd. (“MPW”). All three companies (the “debtors”) were in the business of manufacturing and delivering finished lumber and wood shavings (the “Business”) and operated out of premises situated in Dieppe, New Brunswick. [ 4 ] On or around October 16, 2014, RBC amended and restated credit facilities it had previously made available to 669 and NFL. On October 22, 2014, Mr. Naeem and Mr. Sibley accepted the terms and conditions set out in the October 16, 2014 Agreement (the “Credit Agreements”).
In accordance with those terms, RBC provided secured debt financing for the debtors’ operations pursuant to various credit facilities (the “Loan Instruments”). As security for the repayment of the debtors’ indebtedness, the debtors granted various security interests to RBC. [ 5 ] As additional security for the repayment of the debtors’ indebtedness to RBC, which is outlined in the Credit Agreements, Mr.
Naeem, both in his capacity as an officer and in his personal capacity, executed under seal and delivered to RBC Guarantee and Postponement of Claim Agreements, each of which were limited to $500,000, also dated October 22, 2014. These included the personal guarantees (the “Guarantees”). As will be explained below, Mr. Naeem maintained he did not intend to sign personal guarantees. [ 6 ] On February 28, 2017, RBC transferred the management of the debtors’ accounts and loans to its Special Loans and Advisory Group.
This action was taken due to the debtors’ poor financial performance in early 2017 and concerns regarding the level of risk associated with RBC’s advancement of funds. On February 28, 2017, Mr. Naeem and Mr. Sibley met with Brian Anderson, a representative of the RBC Special Loans and Advisory Group, to discuss the debtors’ ongoing financial difficulties and the actions required of the debtors to resolve the situation. [ 7 ] Immediately following the February 28, 2017 meeting, Mr. Anderson wrote Mr. Naeem and Mr.
Sibley to confirm their discussion and outlined RBC’s expectations regarding the debtors’ financial difficulties. Both Mr. Naeem and Mr.
Sibley acknowledged receipt of RBC’s correspondence in their capacities as officers of the debtors and personal guarantors of the debtors’ indebtedness to RBC. [ 8 ] In the following months, Grant Thornton Limited was retained as a consultant for a review and assessment of the debtors’ operations in order to establish a restructuring plan aimed at improving the debtors’ financial position to a risk level that was acceptable to RBC and in compliance with the financial requirements outlined in the Loan Instruments. [ 9 ] By September 6, 2017, the debtors owed the amount of $2,989,778.78 to RBC.
On September 18, 2017, RBC demanded, in writing, that: (1) the debtors repay that amount in accordance with the Loan Instruments; and
(2) Mr. Naeem and Mr. Sibley each honour their respective Guarantees and repay to RBC the debtors’ indebtedness, up to the limit of the Guarantees. [ 10 ] Following RBC’s demands, the debtors and Mr. Naeem and Mr. Sibley entered into a Forbearance Agreement with RBC. In accordance with its terms, the Forbearance Agreement had an effective date of September 1, 2017. Mr. Naeem and Mr. Sibley both executed the Forbearance Agreement in their capacities as officers of the debtors and as guarantors pursuant to the Guarantees.
The Forbearance Agreement suspended RBC’s demands. [ 11 ] On November 29, 2017, the debtors applied for, and were granted, protection from their creditors pursuant to the Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act , R.S.C. 1985, c. C-36 . On April 26, 2018, the stay of proceedings granted during those proceedings was lifted, and the Court issued an order appointing Grant Thornton as Receiver of all the debtors’ assets and undertakings. [ 12 ] On June 14, 2018, RBC filed a Notice of Action with Statement of Claim Attached against both Mr. Naeem and Mr.
Sibley with respect to the Guarantees and their failure to honour their respective obligations to RBC following its formal written demand. On June 18, 2020, the action against Mr. Sibley was concluded when he executed a Consent Order in the Court of Queen’s Bench, which provided for his payment to RBC of $1,000,000, being the aggregate limit of the personal guarantees. [ 13 ] On November 25, 2020, RBC filed a Motion for
Summary Judgment against Mr. Naeem. Hearing dates were scheduled, but the matter was adjourned several times. There was a change of solicitors for Mr. Naeem, and new affidavit evidence was filed. This necessitated time for responses. There was also affidavit evidence in response to the RBC motion from both Mr. Naeem and Mr. Sibley.
[ 14 ] In his affidavit sworn on February 17, 2022, Mr. Naeem stated that, from the outset of his relationship with RBC, he made it known that he would not sign any personal guarantees as part of the financing of the Businesses and that, when asked to sign documents, it was his practice to seek and obtain assurance that none of the documents presented to him for signing was a personal guarantee. Mr.
Naeem said he always understood the documents RBC presented to him for his signature were credit or security agreements for the debtors, to be signed by him in his capacity as an officer or director of those corporations and not in his personal capacity. He alleged he received assurances that he was not signing personal guarantees.
Essentially, he claimed he mistakenly signed personal guarantees after informing RBC employees he would not sign personal guarantees; therefore, he should be relieved of his obligations under these guarantees based on the doctrine of non est factum. [ 15 ] On March 24, 2022, RBC filed a motion seeking leave to cross-examine Mr. Sibley and Mr. Naeem regarding the contents of the affidavits they filed in response to RBC’s motion to obtain a
summary judgment. On May 5, 2022, the Court heard the parties on the issue of leave to cross-examine and granted RBC’s motion. [ 16 ] On June 3, 2022, RBC cross-examined Mr. Naeem and Mr. Sibley regarding their respective affidavits, and the Court heard the parties on the RBC motion for
summary judgment. [ 17 ] In a decision dated June 23, 2022, the motion judge concluded Mr. Naeem had failed to establish any merit to the defences raised in his Amended Statement of Defence that would give rise to a genuine issue requiring a trial, and granted RBC’s motion. III. Grounds of Appeal [ 18 ] Mr. Naeem submits the motion judge erred in law when she granted RBC’s motion for
summary judgment by: (
a) concluding there was not a genuine issue requiring a trial while failing to make a factual determination as to whether Mr. Naeem signed personal guarantees for the benefit of RBC; and (
b) failing to apply the correct and full legal analysis applicable to a claim of non est factum and disregarding the evidence with respect thereto. [ 19 ] Mr. Naeem further claims the motion judge made palpable and overriding errors by: (
c) disregarding unrefuted evidence without justification or explanation; and (
d) misconstruing the evidence and placing undue weight on other evidence, including hearsay evidence. IV. Standard of Review [ 20 ] Drapeau C.J.N.B. discussed the standard of review on appeals from
summary judgment under Rule 22 in O’Toole v. Peterson , 2018 NBCA 8 , [2018] N.B.J. No. 58 (QL) : As Justice Larlee, writing for the Court, observed in Godin v. Star-Key Enterprises and Carquest Canada , 2006 NBCA 91 , 305 N.B.R.
(2d) 180 , the “standard of review applicable to each question raised on appeal is always the starting point of any appellate analysis” (para. 7). She went on to endorse the view expressed in Roy v. Doucet , 2005 NBCA 84 , 288 N.B.R. (2d) 12 , that the merits of an appeal “stand to be assessed through the prism of the particular standard that governs the review on appeal of each question raised” (para. 13). In Hryniak v. Mauldin , the Supreme Court of Canada authoritatively settled the standard of review for each question that might be raised on appeal from a
summary judgment disposition: [...] absent an error of law, the exercise of powers under the new
summary judgment rule attracts deference. When the motion judge exercises her new fact-finding powers under Rule 20.04(2.1) and determines whether there is a genuine issue requiring a trial, this is a question of mixed fact and law. Where there is no extricable error in principle, findings of mixed fact and law should not be overturned absent palpable and overriding error : Housen v. Nikolaisen , 2002 SCC 33 , [2002] 2 S.C.R. 235 , at para. 36 . Similarly, the question of whether it is in the “interest of justice” for the motion judge to exercise the new fact-finding powers provided by Rule 20.04(2.1) depends on the relative evidence available at the
summary judgment motion and at trial, the nature, size, complexity and cost of the dispute and other contextual factors. Such a decision is also a question of mixed fact and law which attracts deference. Provided that it is not against the “interest of justice”, a motion judge’s decision to exercise the new powers is discretionary . Thus, unless the motion judge misdirected herself, or came to a decision that is so clearly wrong that it resulted in an injustice, her decision should not be disturbed.
Of course, where the motion judge applies an incorrect principle of law, or errs with regard to a purely legal question , such as the elements that must be proved for the plaintiff to make out her cause of action, the decision will be reviewed on a correctness standard : Housen , at para. 8 . [paras. 81-84] [Emphasis added; para. 58] [ 21 ] In Russell et. al. v. Northumberland Co-Operative Limited , 2019 NBCA 70 , [2019] N.B.J. No. 285 (QL) , LeBlond J.A. reiterated for the Court: As was noted in O’Toole v. Peterson , 2018 NBCA 8 , [2018] N.B.J. No. 58 (QL) , the standard of review in
summary judgment proceedings was settled by the Supreme Court in Hryniak v. Mauldin , 2014 SCC 7 , [2014] 1 S.C.R. 87 . Deference is owed with respect to the exercise of the fact-finding powers conferred by Rule 22 unless an incorrect principle of law is applied in the process, in which case the standard of review is correctness. The determination of whether there is a genuine issue requiring a trial is a combination of mixed fact and law and, unless there is an extricable error in principle, it should not be overturned absent palpable and overriding error. Again, deference is owed to such findings. [para. 19] [ 22 ] Mr. Naeem contends the standard of review is correctness for grounds (
a) and (
b) and palpable and overriding error for grounds (
c) and (d). I disagree with him with respect to the standard to be applied for ground (a). As this Court has emphasized, on appeal from
summary judgment, unless there is an extricable error in law, a motion judge’s finding that there is no genuine issue requiring a trial with respect to a claim or defence should not be overturned absent palpable and overriding error. In this case, the appellant having failed to identify an extricable error in law, ground (
a) is reviewable for palpable and overriding error. V. Analysis A. Did the motion judge err in concluding there was not a genuine issue requiring a trial although she failed to make a finding that Mr. Naeem signed the personal guarantees? [ 23 ] Mr. Naeem submits the motion judge identified the sole issue to be determined was whether RBC was entitled to
summary judgment against him where its action was based entirely on the disputed Guarantees. The Guarantees were entered into evidence. Mr. Naeem says that, in order to determine whether RBC was entitled to
summary judgment, the motion judge had to determine, as a matter of fact, whether he signed the Guarantees, and she did not do so.
[24] A review of the motion judge’s decision indicates she did, indeed, determine that Mr. Naeem signed thepersonal guarantees. The motion judge wrote: As previously mentioned, Mr. Naeem did not question whether it was his signature on the 669 Credit Agreement, the acknowledgementof receipt of the letter from RBC dated February 28, 2017, outlining RBC’s expectations regarding the Debtors financial difficulties, andthe Forbearance Agreement. While at paragraph 27 of his affidavit sworn on February 17, 2022, Mr.
Naeem “is confident” that it is nothis signature on the Guarantees, during his cross-examination by RBC counsel, he was either unsure or didn’t know whether thesignature on the Guarantees was his. It is noteworthy that in that same paragraph of his affidavit, he states that he would “like the opportunity to examine the original of theRBC documents and, if necessary, have them analyzed by a handwriting expert”. A similar statement to that effect is made at paragraph11 of the brief filed on his behalf on February 2, 2022.
Neither before or during the hearing was the Court apprised of any difficulty withobtaining original documents from RBC for the purpose of having them analyzed by a handwriting expert nor was there evidence of anyanalysis by a handwriting expert. [paras. 52-53] [25] The motion judge continued: Mr. Naeem’s signature, on those documents that he acknowledged signing, is distinctive in the sense that it resembles a symbol.
Whilenot professing to be a handwriting expert, I will say that the signature on those documents that he acknowledged signing is highly similarto the signature appearing on those documents that he denies and/or is unsure that he signed. The requirement that each of Mr. Naeem and Mr. Sibley sign the Guarantees as a condition precedent to RBC’s advances was clearlyoutlined in the Credit Agreements. The Guarantees were, in part, what induced RBC to provide financing to the Debtors and MPW. TheGuarantees are mentioned in numerous ancillary documents and Mr.
Naeem signs these documents as a guarantor as well as an officerand director of the Debtors. His statement that it was not until the Fall of 2017 that he became aware […] he had signed Guarantees findsno support in the objective evidence before the Court. [Emphasis added; paras. 54-55] [26] In my view, it is clear the motion judge found, as a fact, that Mr. Naeem signed the Guarantees. She dismissedhis argument that he did not sign the documents based on the many inconsistencies in the evidence before her. The motion judgeaccepted affidavit evidence from RBC employee Brad Saunders. This was compounded by Mr.
Naeem’s failure to take any steps toobtain evidence, such as that of a handwriting expert, in support of his contentions. I would dismiss this ground of appeal. B. Did the motion judge err in law by failing to apply the correct and full legal analysis applicable to a claim of non est factum anddisregarding the evidence with respect thereto? [27] After determining whether Mr. Naeem had executed the documents, the motion judge considered his defenceof non est factum. She could not have reached this step of her analysis had she found that Mr. Naeem did not execute the Guarantees inhis personal capacity. [28] Mr.
Naeem says there is more to the doctrine of non est factum than was discussed by the motion judge. Withrespect, I disagree. In her decision, she applied the principles derived from Marvco Colour Research Ltd. v. Harris, (SCC), [1982] 2 SCR 774, [1982] S.C.J. No. 98 (QL), the governing authority on non est factum. She also discussed New Brunswickjurisprudence: Mr. Naeem relies on the doctrine of non est factum. The law relating to this doctrine was articulated by the Supreme Court of Canada inMarvco Colour Research Ltd. v. Harris, , [1982] 2 S.C.R. 77. In Royal Bank v.
Boutique Jasela Ltée et al., [1997] N.B.J.no 543, affirmed at [1998] N.B.J. no 198, Justice McIntyre outlined and summarized the principles of a non est factum defence in thespecific context of personal guarantees:
9. [...]The cases of Saunders v. Anglia Building Society, [1970] 3 All E.R. 961 (H.L.), Marvco Color Research Ltd. v. Harris et al.(1982), (SCC), 141 D.L.R. (3d) 577 S.C.C.) and Beaulieu and Beaulieu v. National Bank of Canada (1984), (NB CA), 55 N.B.R. (2d) 154 (N.B.C.A.) establish that a party pleading non est factum as a defence must satisfy the Courtthat the document he signed is fundamentally or radically different from that which he intended to sign, and that his mistake in signingthe document was not due to his own carelessness. 10. In Marvco Color Research Ltd. v.
Harris (1982), (SCC), 45 N.R. 302 (S.C.C.) the Supreme Court held that the onusis on the party who raises non est factum to prove on a balance of probabilities the following three essential elements: (1) absence ofconsent, (2) absence of negligence or carelessness and (3) the existence of a signed document which is fundamentally different fromthe document which the defendant thought he signed.
In the present case, given the age of the defendants and the degree of education,if indeed they signed the document not realizing that they were guaranteeing the loan to their company, they were negligent or careless.[...]. [para. 56] [29] In his written submission, Mr. Naeem states the motion judge’s
summary is accurate “as far as it goes,” but she“failed to consider the legal implications of the conduct of RBC, the entity seeking to rely on the Disputed Guarantees.” Again, Idisagree. The motion judge wrote: While I appreciate that English is not Mr. Naeem’s first language, he completed a master’s degree program, including the writing of athesis, in English. He is an experienced and sophisticated businessperson who has been involved in various businesses since 1989.
Hisaffidavit evidence is simply that: “[...] he was aware that there were limits to [his] ability to review and understand all of the documents Sibley and I were asked to sign.[He] was also aware that Canadian banks frequently try to have individuals guarantee the loans they make to corporations which [...] Iwas not prepared to entertain. For these reasons, when asked to sign documents for RBC, it was my practice to seek and obtainassurance that none of the documents was a personal guarantee”. The Guarantees are in the English language; Mr. Naeem can certainly read English.
The evidence before me discloses no factual basis toaccount for Mr. Naeem’s failure to take the most elementary of steps to protect his rights such as reading the Guarantees before signingthem. It is equally baffling that he would not raise concerns regarding the Guarantees when signing a suite of ancillary documents whichspecifically referenced the Guarantees, including the Credit Agreements, the RBC correspondence dated February 28, 2017 and theForbearance Agreement. To the extent that Mr.
Naeem relies on the defence of non est factum, none of the essential elements thereofhave been established. [paras. 57-58] [30] It is apparent that, after considering the evidence before her as well as the relevant jurisprudence, the motionjudge reasonably concluded that the likelihood of Mr. Naeem establishing a defence of non est factum was so remote that it was not agenuine issue requiring a trial. The motion judge considered the evidence before her, including the fact that Mr. Naeem is an experiencedbusinessperson as well as his command of the English language. [31] In his written submission, Mr.
Naeem referred to Farrell Estates Ltd. v. Win-Up Restaurant Ltd., 2010 BCSC1752, [2010] B.C.J. No. 2454 (QL): The principles of non est factum, as formulated in the weight of the authorities, can be summarized as follows: 1. The burden of proving non est factum rests with the party seeking to disown their signature. For a person of full capacity theapplication of the doctrine must be kept within narrowly prescribed limits. 2. The person who seeks to invoke the remedy must show that the document signed is fundamentally different from what the personbelieved he or she was signing. 3.
Even if the person shows such a fundamental difference, the court must examine whether the signer was careless in failing to takereasonable precautions in the execution of the document. The court must also consider the conduct of the party relying on the document
and whether they qualify as an innocent party, in order to determine which party, by application of reasonable care, was in the better position to avoid the loss. [para. 100] [ 32 ] Mr. Naeem submits that, when a party seeking to rely on a document was aware of the circumstances in which the document was executed and therefore knew or ought to have known it was executed under some misapprehension as to its character, that party is not innocent and, in such cases, the law must give effect to the policy that a person should not be held to an agreement to which he or she did not bring a consenting mind. [ 33 ] Mr.
Naeem states the motion judge should have “assessed the magnitude and extent of [his] carelessness, the circumstances which may have contributed to any such carelessness, and all other circumstances set out in the pleadings and evidence” before determining that he could not rely on a defence of non est factum . I disagree. First, Mr. Naeem never demonstrated, on the balance of probabilities, that RBC knew or ought to have known that he was giving personal guarantees in error. It is apparent the motion judge did not accept his allegation that RBC knew he would not sign a personal guarantee.
Second, it was incumbent on Mr. Naeem to prove that, while being diligent, he signed the Guarantees with no intent to enter into such obligations (see The Guarantee Company of North America v. Ciro Excavating & Grading Ltd. , 2016 ONCA 125 , [2016] O.J. No. 3271 (QL) , at para. 14 ). [ 34 ] The motion judge considered the totality of the evidence, including the fact that Mr. Naeem is literate in English and has a postgraduate education.
She concluded that, in the circumstances, the least he could do to protect his rights was to read the Guarantees before signing them, which he failed to do. [ 35 ] Even if this Court were to consider the principles from Farrell Estates , the conduct of the party relying on the document should also be assessed in light of the documentation that party presents. Based on the evidence, the motion judge thought the Guarantees were “clearly outlined in the Credit Agreements” (Decision, para. 55). The word “guarantee” distinctly appeared in bold text on the top of the first page of the Guarantees.
Furthermore, words such as “guarantor” appeared in bold text throughout the Guarantees. It was obvious to the motion judge, and it ought to have been obvious to Mr. Naeem, that the Guarantees were a condition precedent to RBC advancing funds. [ 36 ] Furthermore, if the words “guarantee” and “guarantor” had been buried within the documents, perhaps the conduct of RBC would be a factor worth exploring further and perhaps a trial or mini-trial would have been appropriate. However, this was not the case based on the evidence before the motion judge. Had Mr.
Naeem simply glanced at the documents, he would have noticed the word “guarantee.” I agree with the motion judge that Mr. Naeem did not take the most “elementary of steps to protect his rights” (Decision, para. 58), and I further conclude that, based on the appearance of the Guarantees, RBC’s conduct could not be characterized as misleading or as a misrepresentation. Therefore, there would be no need to consider RBC’s conduct. [ 37 ] Finally, the alleged misconduct by RBC was not sufficiently supported by the record so as to require a trial.
I agree with the motion judge’s determination that the evidence that supported RBC’s position eclipsed Mr. Naeem’s evidence that he did not intend to execute a personal guarantee. As such, the motion judge’s finding is entitled to deference. She did not err in finding Mr. Naeem’s defence of non est factum was not a genuine issue requiring a trial, nor did she fail to consider evidence with respect thereto as alleged. She applied the correct legal principles to the findings she made. There was no error in law or palpable or overriding error requiring this Court’s intervention.
I would therefore dismiss this ground of appeal. C. Did the motion judge make palpable and overriding errors by disregarding unrefuted evidence without justification or explanation? [ 38 ] Mr. Naeem contends the motion judge made palpable and overriding errors by disregarding unrefuted evidence without justification or explanation, misconstruing evidence, and placing undue weight on other evidence, including hearsay evidence. [ 39 ] Mr. Naeem placed the authenticity of the Guarantees in issue in his Amended Statement of Defence.
In his written submissions, he lists the substance of his evidence, which he claims is unrefuted: (
i) Mr. Naeem made it clear to RBC that he was not willing to sign a personal guarantee;
(ii) RBC did not explain the documents it requested Mr. Naeem sign; (iii) when signing documents at the request of RBC, Mr. Naeem sought and received reassurance that no document he was signing was a personal guarantee; (iv) Mr. Naeem says that he did so because, English not being his first language, he thought there might be some limitation on his ability to understand everything he was signing; (
v) Mr. Naeem understood all documents he signed at the request of RBC were requested of him in his capacity as an officer and director of the Companies, and not in his personal capacity; (vi) RBC presented Mr. Naeem with documents to sign in the parking lot of the bank; and (vii) RBC did not advise Mr. Naeem to obtain independent legal advice prior to signing the documents. [para. 44] [ 40 ] In her decision, the motion judge questioned the reliability of Mr. Naeem’s evidence: I will add that even if that were the case, which it is not, I consider Mr.
Naeem’s affidavit to contain contradictions in the sense that in paragraph 26 of his affidavit he lists documents which, at first view, appear to be signed by him whereas he deposes in his affidavit that he is confident that it is not his signature on Exhibits “5” and “6” attached to his affidavit. The Court’s power under Rule 39.03 is discretionary and should be used sparingly. In this matter, a suite of documents appears to have Mr. Naeem’s signature thereon. He denies having signed 2 of those documents and expresses doubt as to whether he has signed the rest of the documents. Mr.
Sibley’s evidence speaks to the purported circumstances surrounding the execution of those documents. Each of Mr. Sibley and Mr. Naeem state in their affidavit that they became aware only in the Fall of 2017 that they had signed the Guarantees, whereas documents attached to Mr. Naeem’s affidavit, and purportedly signed by him, are dated well before the Fall of 2017 and reference the Guarantees which Mr. Naeem denies he signed. [paras. 30-31] [ 41 ] The motion judge discussed the affidavit filed by RBC in support of its position.
She wrote: In support of its motion, RBC filed an affidavit sworn by Bradley Saunders (“Mr. Saunders”). In his affidavit, Mr. Saunders states at paragraphs 4 and 5 (see page 679 of ROM) that he was present at a meeting with Mr. Sibley and Mr. Naeem on October 22, 2014 and that he witnessed the execution of the Guarantees by each of Mr. Naeem and Mr. Sibley. Mr.
Saunders also states that during this meeting he explained to each of them the nature of each document they were required to sign and that he also witnessed their signature on several other security agreements. [para. 44] [ 42 ] The motion judge did not “disregard unrefuted evidence” in her determination, nor did she make a palpable and overriding error in finding that Mr. Naeem had signed the Guarantees. I would dismiss this ground of appeal. D. Did the motion judge misconstrue the evidence or place undue weight on other evidence , including hearsay evidence ? [ 43 ] Mr.
Naeem submits that much of the affidavit evidence filed by RBC respecting its motion for
summary judgment was not firsthand evidence and its principal purpose was to have the documents entered into the record. Mr. Naeem relies on the Ontario Superior Court decision in Toronto-Dominion Bank v. P.M.J. Holdings Limited et al. , 2019 ONSC 7297 , [2019] O.J. No. 6390 (QL) , for this proposition. In that case, the deponent bank employee had never met or communicated with the defendant. The affidavit in question did not state the employee had made any efforts to comply with the legal requirements of the contents of affidavits. That is not what occurred in this case.
In the case before us, the deponent in question, Mr. Saunders, did meet and communicate with Mr. Naeem, and the affidavit complied with the requirements for affidavits containing his information and belief.
[ 44 ] The motion judge relied on Mr. Saunders’ evidence that he was present and witnessed Mr. Naeem and Mr. Sibley execute the Guarantees. Mr. Naeem did not refute or challenge Mr. Saunders’ affidavit. [ 45 ] The evidence before the motion judge, which included the Credit Agreement, the February 2017 letter and the Forbearance Agreement, indicated it was necessary for Mr. Naeem and Mr. Sibley to execute personal guarantees, otherwise RBC would not make any further advances. Mr.
Naeem admitted to signing other documents such as the Credit Agreement and the Forbearance Agreement, yet he denied signing the Guarantees that were referenced in the Credit Agreement as a condition to RBC advancing any further credit to the companies. [ 46 ] The motion judge clearly considered the contents of the above-mentioned documents, other than the Guarantees, in order to determine whether Mr. Naeem’s contention that he was not aware of the existence of the Guarantees until the fall of 2017 had any merit. She examined the evidence before her and concluded that Mr.
Naeem’s claims respecting his lack of knowledge concerning the Guarantees was meritless and thus did not give rise to a genuine issue requiring a trial. She did not misconstrue the evidence or place undue weight on any particular part of it. I would therefore dismiss this ground of appeal. VI. Conclusion and Disposition [ 47 ] For the reasons provided above, I would dismiss the appeal with costs of $3,500 payable to RBC. Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par LA JUGE QUIGG I. Introduction [1] Le 23 juin 2022, une juge de la Cour du Banc de la Reine a prononcé un jugement
sommaire contre Mazin Louis Naeem sur le fondement de la validité des deux garanties personnelles qu’il avait signées au profit de l’intimée la Banque Royale du Canada (la RBC). Ces documents garantissaient des dettes contractées par M. Naeem, son partenaire d’affaires, Paul Sibley, ainsi que les entités personnalisées 669699 N.B. Ltd. (669) et New Future Lumber Ltd. (NFL). [2] Compte tenu de la norme de contrôle applicable et du dossier de preuve, je conclus que la juge saisie de la motion n’a pas commis d’erreur en rendant un jugement
sommaire contre M. Naeem. II. Faits [3] MM. Naeem et Sibley étaient actionnaires et administrateurs de trois entités personnalisées : 669, NFL et MP Wood Atlantic Ltd. (MPW). Les trois entités (les débitrices) œuvraient dans le domaine de la fabrication et de la livraison de bois fini et de copeaux de bois (l’entreprise) et étaient exploitées à partir de locaux situés à Dieppe, au Nouveau-Brunswick. [4] Le 16 octobre 2014 ou vers cette date, la RBC a modifié et mis à jour des facilités de crédit qu’elle avait mises à la disposition de 669 et de NFL antérieurement. Le 22 octobre 2014, MM.
Naeem et Sibley ont accepté les conditions énoncées dans la convention du 16 octobre 2014 (les conventions de crédit). Conformément à ces conditions, la RBC a fourni du financement par dette garantie pour les opérations des débitrices au
titre de diverses facilités de crédit (les effets de crédit). En garantie pour le remboursement de leurs dettes, les débitrices ont consenti diverses sûretés à la RBC.
[5] À
titre de garantie supplémentaire pour le remboursement des dettes des débitrices envers la RBC – dettes qui sont décrites dans les conventions de crédit –, M. Naeem, tant en sa qualité de dirigeant qu’en sa qualité personnelle, a signé sous scellé et remis à la RBC des conventions de garantie et de report de réclamation, chacune limitée à 500 000 $, et elles aussi datées du 22 octobre 2014. Il s’agissait notamment des garanties personnelles (les garanties). Comme il sera expliqué ultérieurement, M.
Naeem a soutenu qu’il n’avait pas eu l’intention de signer des garanties personnelles. [6] Le 28 février 2017, la RBC a transféré les comptes et les prêts des débitrices à son groupe consultatif spécial chargé des prêts. Ce transfert découlait de la piètre performance financière des débitrices au début de 2017 et de préoccupations quant au niveau de risque associé aux avances de fonds par la RBC. Le 28 février 2017, MM.
Naeem et Sibley ont rencontré Brian Anderson, un représentant du groupe en question, pour discuter des difficultés financières en cours des débitrices et des mesures à prendre pour résoudre la situation. [7] Immédiatement après la rencontre du 28 février 2017, M. Anderson a écrit à MM. Naeem et Sibley pour confirmer la teneur de leur discussion et énoncer les attentes de la RBC quant aux difficultés financières des débitrices. MM.
Naeem et Sibley ont tous les deux accusé réception de la lettre de la RBC en leur qualité à la fois de dirigeants des débitrices et de garants personnels des dettes des débitrices envers la RBC. [8] Durant les mois qui ont suivi, les services de consultation de Grant Thornton Limited ont été retenus pour que celle-ci effectue un examen et une évaluation des opérations des débitrices afin qu’un plan de restructuration soit élaboré en vue d’améliorer leur position financière de sorte que celle-ci représente un niveau de risque acceptable pour la RBC et soit conforme aux exigences financières énoncées dans les effets de crédit. [9] En date du 6 septembre 2017, les débitrices devaient un montant de 2 989 778,78 $ à la RBC.
Le 18 septembre 2017, cette dernière a demandé par écrit que : 1) les débitrices remboursent ce montant conformément aux effets de crédit; et 2) MM. Naeem et Sibley honorent les garanties qu’ils avaient respectivement consenties et remboursent à la RBC les dettes des débitrices, jusqu’à concurrence de la limite des garanties. [10] À la suite des demandes formulées par la RBC, les débitrices ainsi que MM. Naeem et Sibley ont conclu une convention d’abstention avec elle. Selon ce qui y était stipulé, la convention en question allait entrer en vigueur le 1 er septembre 2017. MM.
Naeem et Sibley ont tous les deux signé la convention d’abstention en leur qualité de dirigeants des débitrices et de garants aux termes des garanties. La convention d’abstention a suspendu les demandes de la RBC. [11] Le 29 novembre 2017, les débitrices ont demandé, et obtenu, la protection contre leurs créanciers sous le régime de la
Loi sur les arrangements avec les créanciers des compagnies , L.R.C. 1985, ch. C-36 . Le 26 avril 2018, la suspension des procédures accordée dans le cadre de la demande en question a été levée, et la Cour a rendu une ordonnance nommant Grant Thornton séquestre de tous les actifs et de toutes les entreprises des débitrices. [12] Le 14 juin 2018, la RBC a déposé un avis de poursuite accompagné d’un exposé de la demande contre MM. Naeem et Sibley relativement aux garanties et aux manquements aux obligations qui leur incombaient respectivement envers la RBC par suite de sa demande écrite formelle.
Le 18 juin 2020, l’action intentée contre M. Sibley a pris fin lorsqu’il a signé une ordonnance par consentement en Cour du Banc de la Reine, qui prévoyait qu’il paierait 1 000 000 $ à la RBC, soit la somme des limites des garanties personnelles qu’il avait consenties. [13] Le 25 novembre 2020, la RBC a déposé une motion en jugement
sommaire contre M. Naeem. Des dates d’audition ont été fixées, mais le dossier a été ajourné à plusieurs reprises. M. Naeem a changé d’avocats, et une nouvelle preuve par affidavits a été déposée. Il a donc fallu accorder du temps à la RBC pour qu’elle puisse y répondre. Une preuve par affidavits, souscrits par MM. Naeem et Sibley, a aussi été déposée en réponse à la motion de la RBC. [14] Dans son affidavit souscrit le 17 février 2022, M.
Naeem a affirmé que, d ès le début de sa relation avec la RBC, il a indiqué qu’il ne consentirait aucune garantie personnelle dans le cadre de l’opération de financement des entreprises et que, lorsqu’on sollicitait sa signature, il avait l’habitude de demander et d’obtenir qu’on lui garantisse qu’aucun des documents qui lui étaient présentés pour signature ne constituait une garantie personnelle. M.
Naeem a affirmé avoir toujours compris que les documents que lui présentait la RBC pour signature étaient des conventions de crédit ou de garantie pour les débitrices, qu’il devait signer en sa qualité de dirigeant ou d’administrateur de ces entités personnalisées et non en sa qualité personnelle. Il a allégué avoir reçu l’assurance qu’il ne signait pas des garanties personnelles. Essentiellement, il a soutenu avoir signé de telles garanties par erreur, après avoir informé les employés de la RBC qu’il n’en signerait pas. Il estime donc qu’il devrait être relevé de ses obligations découlant de ces garanties sur le
fondement de la doctrine du non est factum. [15] Le 24 mars 2022, la RBC a déposé une motion par laquelle elle sollicitait l’autorisation de contre-interroger MM. Sibley et Naeem quant à la teneur des affidavits qu’ils avaient déposés en réponse à sa motion en jugement
sommaire. Le 5 mai 2022, la Cour a entendu les parties sur la question de l’autorisation de contre-interroger et a accueilli la motion de la RBC. [16] Le 3 juin 2022, la RBC a contre-interrogé MM. Naeem et Sibley quant à leur affidavit respectif et la Cour a entendu les arguments des parties relatifs à la motion en jugement
sommaire présentée par la RBC. [17] Dans une décision datée du 23 juin 2022, la juge saisie de la motion a conclu que M. Naeem n’avait pas établi le bien-fondé des moyens de défense invoqués dans son exposé de la défense modifié et qui auraient soulevé une véritable question litigieuse nécessitant la tenue d’un procès. Elle a accueilli la motion de la RBC. III. Moyens d’appel [18] M. Naeem soutient que la juge saisie de la motion a commis des erreurs de droit lorsqu’elle a accueilli la motion en jugement
sommaire de la RBC, et ce : (
a) en concluant à l’absence d’une véritable question litigieuse nécessitant la tenue d’un procès tout en omettant de tirer des conclusions de fait quant à la question de savoir si M. Naeem avait signé des garanties personnelles au profit de la RBC; (
b) en omettant de procéder à l’analyse juridique correcte et complète applicable lorsqu’une
partie invoque la doctrine du non est factum et en ne tenant pas compte des éléments de preuve s’y rapportant. [19] M. Naeem fait en outre valoir que la juge saisie de la motion a commis des erreurs manifestes et dominantes : (
c) en ne tenant pas compte d’éléments de preuve non réfutés sans justifier ou expliquer sa décision; (
d) en interprétant erronément certains éléments de preuve et en accordant trop d’importance à d’autres éléments de preuve, y compris celle par ouï-dire. IV. Norme de contrôle [20] Le juge Drapeau, alors juge en chef du Nouveau-Brunswick, a discuté de la norme de contrôle applicable aux appels de jugements
sommaires rendus sous le régime de la règle 22 dans la décision O’Toole c. Peterson , 2018 NBCA 8 , [2018] A.N.-B. n o 58 (QL) : Comme l’a fait remarquer la juge Larlee dans l’arrêt Godin c. Star-Key Enterprises et Carquest Canada , 2006 NBCA 91 , 305 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 180 , en rendant jugement au nom de notre Cour : « Toute analyse effectuée par la Cour d’appel a comme point de départ la norme de contrôle applicable à chaque question soulevée en appel » (par. 7). Elle a ensuite souscrit à l’avis exprimé dans l’arrêt Roy c.
Doucet , 2005 NBCA 84 , 288 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 12 , selon lequel le bien-fondé de l’appel « doit être évalué à la lumière de la norme précise qui régit l’examen en appel de chaque question soulevée » (par. 13). Dans l’arrêt Hryniak c. Mauldin , la Cour suprême du Canada a établi péremptoirement la norme de contrôle applicable pour chaque question susceptible d’être soulevée dans un appel d’une décision rendue
sur une motion en jugement
sommaire : […] en l’absence d’une erreur de droit, l’exercice des pouvoirs que confère la nouvelle règle relative au jugement
sommaire commande la retenue. Lorsque le juge saisi d’une requête exerce ses nouveaux pouvoirs en matière de recherche des faits, que lui confère le par. 20.04(2.1) des Règles, et détermine s’il existe une véritable question litigieuse nécessitant la tenue d’un procès, il s’agit d’une question mixte de fait et de droit. Lorsqu’il n’y a aucune erreur de principe isolable, les conclusions mixtes de fait et de droit ne doivent pas être infirmées en l’absence d’erreur manifeste et dominante : Housen c. Nikolaisen , 2002 CSC 33 , [2002] 2 R.C.S. 235 , par. 36 .
De même, la réponse à la question de savoir s’il est dans « l’intérêt de la justice » que le juge saisi d’une requête exerce les nouveaux pouvoirs en matière de recherche des faits prévus au par. 20.04(2.1) des Règles dépend de la preuve relative présentée lors de l’audition de la requête en jugement
sommaire et au procès, de la nature, de l’envergure, de la complexité et du coût du litige, ainsi que d’autres facteurs contextuels. Cette décision constitue également une question mixte de fait et de droit qui commande la retenue . Pourvu qu’elle ne soit pas contraire à « l’intérêt de la justice », la décision du juge saisi d’une requête d’exercer les nouveaux pouvoirs est de nature discrétionnaire . Par conséquent, à moins que le juge ne se soit fondé sur des considérations erronées ou que sa décision soit erronée au point de créer une injustice, il n’y a pas lieu de modifier sa décision.
Évidemment, si le juge saisi d’une requête applique un mauvais principe de droit ou fait erreur relativement à une pure question de droit , comme les éléments dont le demandeur doit prouver l’existence pour établir sa cause d’action, la norme de contrôle applicable sera celle de la décision correcte : Housen , par. 8 . [par. 81-84] [Soulignement ajouté; par. 58] [21] Dans la décision Russell et autre c. Northumberland Co-Operative Limited , 2019 NBCA 70 , [2019] A.N.-B. n o 285 (QL) , le juge LeBlond a réitéré ce principe au nom de la Cour : Comme notre Cour l’écrivait dans O’Toole c.
Peterson , 2018 NBCA 8 , [2018] A.N.-B. n o 58 (QL) , la Cour suprême a établi, dans l’arrêt Hryniak c. Mauldin , 2014 CSC 7 , [2014] 1 R.C.S. 87 , la norme de contrôle applicable lorsqu’un recours est exercé contre un jugement
sommaire. L’exercice des pouvoirs que confère la règle 22 en matière de recherche des faits commande la retenue, à moins qu’un mauvais principe de droit ait été appliqué, auquel cas la norme de contrôle est celle de la décision correcte. Décider de l’existence ou non d’une véritable question en litige nécessitant la tenue d’un procès combine le droit et les faits et cette décision ne doit pas être infirmée en l’absence d’erreur manifeste et dominante, à moins d’erreur de principe isolable. Les conclusions de cet ordre appellent, encore une fois, la retenue . [par. 19] [22] M. Naeem soutient que la norme de contrôle est celle de la décision correcte pour les moyens (
a) et (
b) et celle de l’erreur manifeste et dominante pour les moyens (
c) et (d). Je suis en désaccord avec lui en ce qui a trait à la norme de contrôle applicable au moyen (a). Comme notre Cour l’a souligné, en appel d’un jugement
sommaire, en l’absence d’une erreur de droit isolable, la conclusion du juge saisi de la motion selon laquelle il n’y a pas de véritable question litigieuse nécessitant la tenue d’un procès quant à une demande ou à un moyen de défense ne devrait pas être infirmée, sauf en présence d’une erreur manifeste et dominante. En l’espèce, l’appelant n’ayant pas cerné d’erreur de droit isolable, le moyen (
a) doit être contrôlé suivant la norme de l’erreur manifeste ou dominante. V. Analyse A. La juge saisie de la motion a-t-elle commis une erreur en concluant à l’absence d’une véritable question litigieuse nécessitant la tenue d’un procès, même si elle n’a pas conclu que M. Naeem avait signé les garanties personnelles? [23] M. Naeem soutient que, selon la juge saisie de la motion, la seule question à trancher était celle de savoir si la RBC avait droit à un jugement
sommaire contre lui sachant que son action était entièrement fondée sur les garanties contestées. Ces dernières ont été déposées en preuve. M. Naeem affirme que, pour décider si la RBC avait droit à un jugement
sommaire, la juge devait déterminer, en tant que question de fait, s’il avait signé les garanties, ce qu’elle n’a pas fait.
[24] Or, un examen de la décision de la juge saisie de la motion fait ressortir qu’elle a bel et bien jugé queM. Naeem avait signé les garanties personnelles. En effet, elle a écrit : [TRADUCTION] Comme je l’ai mentionné ci-dessus, M. Naeem n’a pas remis en question l’authenticité de sa signature sur la convention de crédit 669,sur l’accusé de réception de la lettre de la RBC datée du 28 février 2017 – qui énonçait les attentes de cette dernière quant aux difficultésfinancières des débitrices – et sur la convention d’abstention. Bien que, au par. 27 de son affidavit souscrit le 17 février 2022, M.
Naeemdéclare [TRADUCTION] « être convaincu » que la signature qui se trouve sur les garanties n’est pas la sienne, lorsqu’il a été contre-interrogé par l’avocat de la RBC, soit il n’était pas certain soit il ne savait pas si la signature qui figure sur les garanties était la sienne. Il mérite d’être souligné que, dans le même paragraphe de son affidavit, M. Naeem affirme qu’il [TRADUCTION] « souhaiterait avoirl’occasion d’examiner la version originale des documents de la RBC et, au besoin, de les faire analyser par un graphoanalyste ».
Il a faitune affirmation similaire au par. 11 du mémoire déposé en son nom le 2 février 2022. Or, ni avant ni durant l’audition la Cour n’a-t-elleété informée d’une quelconque difficulté à obtenir l’original des documents de la RBC en vue de leur analyse par un graphoanalyste;aucune preuve n’a en outre été présentée d’une quelconque analyse par un graphoanalyste. [par. 52-53] [25] La juge saisie de la motion a ajouté : [TRADUCTION] La signature de M. Naeem sur les documents qu’il a reconnu avoir signés est spécifique en ce sens qu’elle ressemble à un symbole.
Sansprétendre être une graphoanalyste, je dirai que la signature apposée sur les documents qu’il admet avoir signés est très similaire à cellequi figure sur les documents qu’il nie avoir signés ou qu’il n’est pas certain d’avoir signés. L’exigence voulant que tant M. Naeem que M. Sibley signent les garanties comme condition préalable aux avances de fonds de la RBCressortait clairement des conventions de crédit. Ce sont notamment les garanties qui ont incité la RBC à fournir du financement auxdébitrices et à MPW. Les garanties sont mentionnées dans de nombreux documents accessoires que M.
Naeem a signés en sa qualité à lafois de garant, mais aussi en sa qualité de dirigeant et d’administrateur des débitrices. Sa déclaration selon laquelle ce n’est qu’àl’automne de 2017 qu’il a appris […] qu’il avait signé des garanties ne se fonde sur aucun élément de preuve objectif qui a été présenté àla Cour. [Soulignement ajouté; par. 54-55] [26] À mon avis, la juge saisie de la motion a manifestement tiré la conclusion de fait que M. Naeem avait signé lesgaranties.
Elle a rejeté son argument selon lequel il n’aurait pas signé le document, et ce, en se fondant sur les nombreuses incohérencesde la preuve qui lui avait été présentée. Elle a retenu le témoignage par affidavit de l’employé de la RBC, Brad Saunders. À cela s’ajoutele fait que M. Naeem n’a pris aucune mesure pour obtenir des éléments de preuve, comme l’expertise d’un graphoanalyste, au soutien deses prétentions. Je suis d’avis de rejeter ce moyen d’appel. B. La juge saisie de la motion a-t-elle commis une erreur de droit en omettant de procéder à l’analyse juridique correcte etcomplète applicable lorsqu’une
partie invoque la doctrine du non est factum et en ne tenant pas compte des éléments de preuve qui s’yrapportaient? [27] Après avoir décidé si M. Naeem avait signé les documents, la juge saisie de la motion s’est penchée sur sa défense denon est factum. Elle n’aurait pas pu en arriver à cette étape de son analyse si elle avait conclu que M. Naeem n’avait pas signé lesgaranties en sa qualité personnelle. [28] Selon M. Naeem, la doctrine du non est factum comporte davantage que ce qu’en a dit la juge. Avec égards, jene souscris pas à sa prétention.
Dans sa décision, la juge a appliqué les principes tirés de l’arrêt Marvco Color Research Ltd. c. Harris, (SCC), [1982] 2 R.C.S. 774, [1982] A.C.S. no 98 (QL), la décision qui fait autorité sur la doctrine du non est factum.Elle a aussi traité de la jurisprudence du Nouveau-Brunswick : [TRADUCTION] M. Naeem invoque la doctrine du non est factum. Le droit se rapportant à cette doctrine a été énoncé par la Cour suprême du Canadadans l’arrêt Marvco Color Research Ltd. c. Harris, , [1982] 2 R.C.S. 77. Dans la décision Banque Royale du Canada c.
Boutique Jasela Ltée, [1997] A.N.-B. no 543, confirmée dans [1998] A.N.-B. no 198, le juge McIntyre a exposé brièvement et résuméles principes applicables à la défense de non est factum dans le contexte spécifique des garanties personnelles : [TRADUCTION] 9. […] Les arrêts Saunders c. Anglia Building Society, [1970] 3 All E.R. 961 (Ch. des lords), Marvco Color Research Ltd. c. Harriset al. (1982), (SCC), 141 D.L.R. (3d) 577 (C.S.C.), et Beaulieu et Beaulieu c. Banque Nationale du Canada (1984), (NB CA), 55 R.N.-B. (2e) 154 (C.A.N.-B.) établissent qu’une
partie qui plaide la défense de non est factum doitconvaincre le tribunal que le document signé par elle est fondamentalement ou radicalement différent de celui qu’elle entendait signer etque l’erreur qu’elle a commise en signant le document n’était pas imputable à sa propre négligence. 10. Dans l’arrêt Marvco Color Research Ltd. c. Harris, (SCC), [1982] 2 R.C.S. 774, la Cour suprême du Canada astatué qu’il incombait à la
partie qui soulève la défense de non est factum d’établir par prépondérance de la preuve les trois élémentsessentiels suivants : 1) l’absence de consentement, 2) l’absence de négligence ou d’insouciance et 3) l’existence d’un document signéqui est fondamentalement différent de celui que le défendeur pensait signer. En l’espèce, étant donné l’âge des défendeurs et leurniveau d’instruction, s’ils ont réellement signé le document sans s’apercevoir qu’ils garantissaient l’emprunt de leur compagnie, ils ontfait preuve de négligence ou d’insouciance. […] [par. 56] [29] Dans son mémoire, M.
Naeem soutient que le résumé de la juge saisie de la motion est exact,[TRADUCTION] « du moins pour ce qu’il énonce », mais il ajoute que la juge [TRADUCTION] « n’a pas examiné les conséquencesjuridiques de la conduite de la RBC, l’entité qui cherche à invoquer les garanties contestées ». Encore une fois, je ne souscris pas à saprétention. La juge a écrit : [TRADUCTION] Même si je comprends que l’anglais n’est pas la langue maternelle de M. Naeem, il a mené à terme des études de maîtrise dans le cadredesquelles il a rédigé une thèse en anglais.
Il est un entrepreneur d’expérience et averti qui a œuvré au sein de diverses entreprises depuis1989. Son témoignage par affidavit se limite à dire ce qui suit : […] [il était] conscient des limites de [sa] capacité à examiner et à comprendre tous les documents que Sibley et [lui devaient] signer.[Il] était également conscient que les banques canadiennes tentent souvent de faire en sorte que des individus garantissent les prêtsqu’elles consentent à des sociétés, ce [qu’il] refusai[t] d’envisager.
C’est pourquoi, lorsqu’on [lui] demandait de signer des documentspour la RBC, [il] avai[t] l’habitude de demander et d’obtenir qu’on [lui] garantisse qu’aucun des documents ne constituait une garantiepersonnelle. Les garanties sont rédigées en anglais; M. Naeem peut très certainement lire l’anglais. La preuve dont je dispose ne révèle aucunfondement factuel pour justifier que M. Naeem n’a pas pris les mesures les plus élémentaires pour protéger ses droits, comme lire lesgaranties avant de les signer.
Il est tout aussi déroutant qu’il n’ait fait part d’aucune préoccupation quant aux garanties lorsqu’il a signéune série de documents accessoires qui y faisaient spécifiquement référence, y compris les conventions de crédit, la lettre de la RBCdatée du 28 février 2017 et la convention d’abstention. Dans la mesure où M. Naeem se fonde sur la défense de non est factum, aucundes éléments essentiels de ce moyen de défense n’a été établi. [par. 57-58] [30] Il est évident que, après avoir examiné la preuve dont elle disposait ainsi que la jurisprudence pertinente, lajuge saisie de la motion a conclu à juste
titre que la probabilité que M. Naeem établisse une défense de non est factum était si faible qu’ilne s’agissait pas d’une véritable question litigieuse nécessitant la tenue d’un procès. La juge a tenu compte de la preuve qui lui avait étéprésentée, y compris le fait que M. Naeem est un entrepreneur expérimenté et sa connaissance de la langue anglaise. [31] Dans son mémoire, M. Naeem fait référence à la décision Farrell Estates Ltd. c. Win-Up Restaurant Ltd., 2010BCSC 1752, [2010] B.C.J. No. 2454 (QL) :
[TRADUCTION] La doctrine du non est factum , tel qu’elle est formulée dans la jurisprudence, peut être ainsi résumée : 1. Le fardeau de prouver les éléments de la défense de non est factum repose sur la
partie qui cherche à renier sa signature. Pour une personne pleinement capable, l’application de la doctrine doit être restreinte à des circonstances étroitement circonscrites. 2. La personne qui cherche à invoquer la mesure de réparation doit démontrer que le document signé est fondamentalement différent de ce qu’elle croyait signer. 3. Même si la personne prouve l’existence d’une différence aussi fondamentale, la cour doit examiner si le signataire a été négligent en omettant de prendre des précautions raisonnables lors de la signature du document. La Cour doit aussi tenir compte de la conduite de la
partie qui se fonde sur le document et se demander si elle peut être qualifiée de
partie innocente, afin de déterminer quelle partie, en faisant preuve de diligence raisonnable, était dans la meilleure position pour éviter la perte. [par. 100] [32] M. Naeem fait valoir que, lorsqu’une
partie qui cherche à invoquer un document était consciente des circonstances dans lesquelles le document a été signé et savait donc ou aurait dû savoir qu’il a été signé avec une certaine méprise quant à sa nature, cette
partie n’est pas innocente. Il soutient en outre que, dans de tels cas, le droit doit donner effet au principe selon lequel une personne ne devrait pas être tenue de respecter une convention à laquelle elle n’a pas consenti. [33] M. Naeem affirme que la juge saisie de la motion aurait dû [TRADUCTION] « évaluer l’importance et l’étendue de [sa] négligence, les circonstances qui ont pu contribuer à cette négligence, le cas échéant, et toutes les autres circonstances ressortant des plaidoiries et de la preuve » avant de décider qu’il ne pouvait pas se fonder sur une défense de non est factum .
Je ne souscris pas à son affirmation. Premièrement, M. Naeem n’a jamais démontré, suivant la prépondérance des probabilités, que la RBC savait ou aurait dû savoir qu’il consentait des garanties personnelles par erreur. Manifestement, la juge n’a pas retenu son allégation selon laquelle la RBC savait qu’il ne signerait pas de garantie personnelle. Deuxièmement, il incombait à M. Naeem de prouver que, tout en ayant été diligent, il a signé les garanties sans avoir l’intention de contracter de telles obligations (voir The Guarantee Company of North America c.
Ciro Excavating & Grading Ltd. , 2016 ONCA 125 , [2016] O.J. No. 3271 (QL) , par. 14 ). [34] La juge saisie de la motion a pris l’ensemble de la preuve en considération, y compris le fait que M. Naeem sait lire et écrire l’anglais et qu’il a fait des études universitaires de deuxième cycle. Elle a conclu que, dans les circonstances, le moins qu’il pouvait faire pour protéger ses droits était de lire les garanties avant de les signer, ce qu’il n’a pas fait. [35] Même si la Cour devait tenir compte des principes énoncés dans la décision Farrell Estates , la conduite de la
partie qui se fonde sur le document devrait également être jaugée à la lumière de la documentation que présente cette partie. Compte tenu de la preuve, la juge a conclu que l’existence des garanties [TRADUCTION] « ressortai[t] clairement des conventions de crédit » (décision, par. 55). Le terme [TRADUCTION] « garantie » figurait distinctement en caractères gras au haut de la première page des garanties. En outre, des termes tels que [TRADUCTION] « garant » apparaissaient en caractère gras tout au long des garanties. Pour la juge saisie de la motion, il était évident, et il aurait dû l’être pour M.
Naeem, que la signature des garanties était une condition préalable aux avances de fonds par la RBC. [36] En outre, si les termes [TRADUCTION] « garantie » et [TRADUCTION] « garant » avaient été enfouis dans les documents, la conduite de la RBC aurait peut-être été un facteur qui aurait mérité d’être examiné plus en profondeur, et peut-être que la tenue d’un procès ou d’un mini-procès aurait été appropriée. Or, tel n’était pas le cas compte tenu de la preuve présentée à la juge. Si M.
Naeem n’avait ne serait-ce que jeté un coup d’œil aux documents, il aurait remarqué la présence du terme [TRADUCTION] « garantie ». À l’instar de la juge saisie de la motion, j’estime que M. Naeem n’a pas pris [TRADUCTION] « les mesures les plus élémentaires pour protéger ses droits » (décision, par. 58), et je conclus en outre que, compte tenu de l’apparence des garanties, la conduite de la RBC ne peut être qualifiée de trompeuse ou d’assertion inexacte.
En conséquence, il n’est pas nécessaire d’examiner la conduite de la RBC. [37] Enfin, l’inconduite alléguée de la RBC n’était pas suffisamment étayée par le dossier pour justifier la tenue d’un procès. Je suis d’accord avec la juge saisie de la motion quant à sa décision selon laquelle la preuve à l’appui de la position de la RBC a éclipsé celle présentée par M. Naeem pour démontrer qu’il n’avait pas eu l’intention de signer de garantie personnelle. En tant que telle, la conclusion de la juge commande la déférence. Elle n’a pas commis d’erreur en concluant que la défense de non est factum
présentée par M. Naeem ne constituait pas une véritable question litigieuse nécessitant la tenue d’un procès; elle n’a pas non plus omis de tenir compte de la preuve relative à ce moyen de défense comme il a été allégué. Elle a appliqué les bons principes de droit aux conclusions qu’elle a tirées. Aucune erreur de droit ou erreur manifeste et dominante n’exige l’intervention de notre Cour. Je suis donc d’avis de rejeter ce moyen d’appel. C.
La juge saisie de la motion a-t-elle commis une erreur manifeste et dominante en ne tenant pas compte d’éléments de preuve non réfutés sans justifier ou expliquer sa décision? [38] M. Naeem soutient que la juge saisie de la motion a commis une erreur manifeste et dominante en ne tenant pas compte d’éléments de preuve non réfutés sans justifier ou expliquer sa décision, en interprétant erronément certains éléments de preuve, et en accordant une importance indue à d’autres éléments de preuve, y compris la preuve par ouï-dire. [39] M.
Naeem a remis en question l’authenticité des garanties dans son exposé de la défense modifié. Dans son mémoire, il a décrit les éléments de preuve qu’il a présentés et qui, selon lui, n’ont pas été réfutés : [TRADUCTION] (
i) M. Naeem a indiqué clairement à la RBC qu’il ne voulait pas signer de garantie personnelle; (ii) la RBC n’a pas expliqué la teneur des documents qu’elle demandait à M. Naeem de signer; (iii) lorsqu’il a signé les documents à la demande de la RBC, M. Naeem a demandé et obtenu l’assurance qu’aucun des documents qu’il signait ne constituait une garantie personnelle; (iv) M. Naeem affirme avoir agi de la sorte parce que, l’anglais n’étant pas sa langue maternelle, il croyait avoir possiblement une capacité limitée de comprendre tout ce qu’il signait; (
v) M. Naeem comprenait qu’il signait tous les documents à la demande de la RBC en sa qualité de dirigeant et d’administrateur des entités personnalisées, et non en sa qualité personnelle; (vi) la RBC a présenté les documents à signer à M. Naeem dans le stationnement de la banque; (vii) la RBC n’a pas conseillé à M. Naeem d’obtenir des conseils juridiques indépendants avant de signer les documents. [par. 44] [40] Dans sa décision, la juge saisie de la motion a remis en question la fiabilité du témoignage de M.
Naeem : [TRADUCTION] J’ajouterais que, même s’il en était ainsi, ce qui n’est pas le cas, je suis d’avis que l’affidavit souscrit par M. Naeem comporte des contradictions en ce sens que, au par. 26 du document en question, il dresse une liste de documents qui, à première vue, semblent avoir été signés par lui, alors qu’il affirme dans le même document être certain que ce n’est pas sa signature qui figure sur les pièces « 5 » et « 6 » jointes à son affidavit. Le pouvoir conféré à la Cour par la règle 39.03 est de nature discrétionnaire et il devrait être utilisé avec parcimonie.
En l’espèce, une série de documents semblent porter la signature de M. Naeem. Il nie avoir signé deux de ces documents et exprime des doutes quant à savoir s’il a signé le reste des documents. Le témoignage de M. Sibley traite des circonstances présumées de la signature des documents en question. Tant M. Sibley que M. Naeem affirment dans leur affidavit avoir appris seulement à l’automne de 2017 qu’ils avaient signé des garanties. Or, des documents joints à l’affidavit de M. Naeem, et censément signés par lui, sont datés de bien avant l’automne de 2017 et font référence aux garanties que M.
Naeem nie avoir signées. [par. 30-31]
[41] La juge saisie de la motion a discuté de l’affidavit déposé par la RBC au soutien de sa position. Elle a écrit : [TRADUCTION] Au soutien de sa motion, la RBC a déposé un affidavit souscrit par Bradley Saunders (M. Saunders). Dans ce document, M. Saunders affirme aux par. 4 et 5 (voir la p. 679 du dossier afférent à la motion) qu’il était présent lors de la rencontre avec MM. Sibley et Naeem le 22 octobre 2014 et qu’il a été témoin de la signature des garanties tant par le premier que, par le second. M.
Saunders affirme en outre que, durant cette rencontre, il a expliqué à chacun d’eux la nature de chaque document qu’ils devaient signer et qu’il les a aussi vus signer plusieurs autres contrats de sûreté. [par. 44] [42] La juge saisie de la motion n’a pas [TRADUCTION] « omis de tenir compte d’éléments de preuve non réfutés » lorsqu’elle a pris sa décision; elle n’a pas non plus commis d’erreur manifeste et dominante en concluant que M. Naeem avait signé les garanties. Je suis d’avis de rejeter ce moyen d’appel. D.
La juge saisie de la motion a-t-elle interprété erronément certains éléments de preuve ou accordé trop d’importance à d’autres éléments de preuve, y compris celle par ouï-dire? [43] M. Naeem fait valoir que la plupart de la preuve par affidavit déposée par la RBC quant à sa motion en jugement
sommaire n’était pas une preuve directe et que son objet principal était de permettre le dépôt des documents au dossier. M. Naeem invoque la décision de la Cour supérieure de l’Ontario dans Toronto-Dominion Bank c. P.M.J. Holdings Limited et al. , 2019 ONSC 7297 , [2019] O.J. No. 6390 (QL) , pour faire une telle affirmation. Dans cette affaire, l’employé de la banque déposant n’avait jamais rencontré la défenderesse ni communiqué avec elle.
L’affidavit en cause ne contenait aucune affirmation selon laquelle l’employé avait fait des efforts pour se conformer aux exigences juridiques quant à la teneur des affidavits. Ce n’est pas ce qui s’est produit en l’espèce, où le déposant en cause, M. Saunders, a rencontré M. Naeem et communiqué avec lui, et où l’affidavit était conforme aux exigences relatives aux affidavits faisant état de renseignements qu’il a appris et qu’il croit être vrais. [44] La juge saisie de la motion s’est fondée sur le témoignage de M. Saunders selon lequel il était présent au moment de la signature des garanties par MM.
Naeem et Sibley et il les a vus les signer. M. Naeem n’a ni réfuté ni contesté l’affidavit souscrit par M. Saunders. [45] La preuve présentée à la juge saisie de la motion, qui comprenait la convention de crédit, la lettre de février 2017 et la convention d’abstention, indiquait qu’il était nécessaire que MM. Naeem et Sibley signent des garanties personnelles, sans quoi la RBC cesserait de faire des avances de fonds. M.
Naeem a admis avoir signé d’autres documents comme la convention de crédit et la convention d’abstention, mais il a nié avoir signé les garanties auxquelles la convention de crédit faisait référence comme condition pour que la RBC consente quelque nouveau crédit que ce soit aux compagnies. [46] La juge saisie de la motion a manifestement tenu compte de la teneur des documents mentionnés précédemment, autres que les garanties, afin de déterminer si la prétention de M. Naeem voulant qu’il n’eût appris l’existence des garanties qu’à l’automne de 2017 était fondée.
Elle a examiné les éléments de preuve dont elle disposait et a conclu que les prétentions de M. Naeem selon lesquelles il n’avait pas eu connaissance de l’existence des garanties étaient sans fondement et qu’elles ne donnaient donc pas lieu à une véritable question litigieuse nécessitant la tenue d’un procès. Elle n’a pas interprété erronément la preuve ou accordé une importance indue à quelque
partie de la preuve que ce soit. Je suis donc d’avis de rejeter ce moyen d’appel. VI. Conclusion et dispositif [47] Pour les motifs qui précèdent, je suis d’avis de rejeter l’appel avec des dépens de 3 500 $ payables à la RBC.