2022 NBCA 26, 2022 NBCA 26
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 114-21-CA MITCH LARKE APPELLANT MITCH LARKE APPELANT - and - - et - VITALITÉ HEALTH NETWORK GRAND FALLS GENERAL HOSPITAL RESPONDENT RÉSEAU DE SANTÉ VITALITÉ – HÔPITAL GÉNÉRAL DE GRAND-SAULT INTIMÉ Larke v. Vitalité Health Network Grand Falls General Hospital, 2022 NBCA 26 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice Green The Honourable Justice LeBlond Larke c.
Réseau de santé Vitalité – Hôpital général de Grand-Sault, 2022 NBCA 26 CORAM : l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge Green l’honorable juge LeBlond Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: October 1, 2021 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : le 1 er octobre 2021 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: 2021 NBQB 206 Décision frappée d’appel : 2021 NBBR 206 Preliminary or incidental proceedings: None Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : aucune Appeal heard: March 23, 2022 Appel entendu : le 23 mars 2022 Judgment rendered: June 9, 2022 Jugement rendu : le 9 juin 2022
Reasons for judgment: The Honourable Justice Quigg Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Green The Honourable Justice LeBlond Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: Christopher M. Correia, Q.C., and Kendra M. Correia For the respondents, various doctors: Renée M. Fontaine For the respondent, Vitalité Health Network Grand Falls General Hospital: Talia C. Profit (took no position) Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge Quigg Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Green l’honorable juge LeBlond Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appelant : Christopher M. Correia, c.r., et Kendra M.
Correia Pour les intimés, divers médecins: Renée M. Fontaine Pour l’intimé, Réseau de santé Vitalité – Hôpital général de Grand-Sault : Talia C. Profit (n’a adopté aucune position) THE COURT The appeal is dismissed with costs of $2,500. LA COUR L’appel est rejeté avec dépens de 2 500 $. The judgment of the Court was delivered by QUIGG, J.A. I.
Introduction [ 1 ] The issue in this appeal is whether a trial judge erred in denying Mitch Larke’s motion under Rules 5.04(2) and 27.10 of the Rules of Court seeking leave to add various doctors to an action he had commenced against a hospital on the basis he was statute-barred. II. Background A. Timeline
[ 2 ] On November 19, 2016, Mr. Larke fell in his home and suffered significant injuries. He was taken to the respondent Vitalité Health Network Grand Falls General Hospital (“the Hospital”) by ambulance and was treated by various healthcare providers. [ 3 ] On January 5, 2017, Mr. Larke was discharged from the Hospital and returned to his home. Once home, he realized he could not care for himself. He was transferred to a special care home. [ 4 ] From the time of his discharge from the Hospital in January 2017 until early April 2017, Mr.
Larke was working on returning to his pre-fall condition through physiotherapy. [ 5 ] On April 13, 2017, he attended a neurology consultation with Dr. Hanni Bouma at the Doctor Everett Chalmers Hospital (the “DECH”) in Fredericton, New Brunswick. Dr. Bouma informed him his symptoms were due to a spinal cord compression that had not been diagnosed after his fall. As a result of the misdiagnosis and lack of treatment, it was unlikely he would recover to the level of physical mobility he had before the fall. [ 6 ] That day, Mr. Larke was admitted to the DECH by Dr.
Bouma and, within days, was transferred to the Saint John Regional Hospital, where he underwent a cervical laminoplasty surgery to treat his previously undiagnosed condition. [ 7 ] Following surgery, he was transferred back to the DECH, where he remained for rehabilitation treatment until he returned to the special care home in July 2017. B. Retained counsel [ 8 ] Mr.
Larke attempted to obtain copies of his hospital charts and other medical documents through his family doctor in early 2019, thinking these documents would contain information pertaining to his hospitalization in Grand Falls in late 2016. [ 9 ] In or around March 2019, Mr. Larke contacted a lawyer about commencing an action against the parties potentially responsible for his condition, which Mr.
Larke thought, at the time, would be the Hospital and its employees, including doctors, nurses and other members of staff. [ 10 ] It was at this time he was advised that, generally, doctors in New Brunswick are not employees of the hospitals in which they work and the individual doctors would have to be named as parties to the action. [ 11 ] On April 8, 2019, a Notice of Action with Statement of Claim Attached was filed on Mr. Larke’s behalf. It named the Hospital as defendant but not the individual doctors. [ 12 ] In late March or April 2019, Mr.
Larke requested the Perth Andover Medical Clinic to send additional documents to his lawyer. The documents received did not contain any records from the Hospital. [ 13 ] The Hospital was served with the action in August 2019, and counsel was appointed to represent it. Counsel for Mr. Larke was obligated to obtain this information from counsel for the Hospital. [ 14 ] In January 2020, an Amended Notice of Action with Statement of Claim Attached was filed on behalf of Mr. Larke removing the earlier reliance on Rule 79 of the Rules of Court and broadening the scope of the allegations made against the Hospital.
[ 15 ] In response, on January 29, 2020, the solicitor for the Hospital provided Mr. Larke’s lawyer with records from the Hospital identifying the doctors involved in his care during the hospitalization of 2016 (the “doctors”). [ 16 ] On February 18, 2020, the Hospital filed a Statement of Defence. It denied that any doctors involved in Mr. Larke’s care were employees of the Hospital and that any improper treatment by any doctors could be attributed to the Hospital, and it asserted the Hospital was not responsible at law for any of the doctors’ actions.
As a result of COVID-19, limitation periods in New Brunswick were suspended for a period of six months. A mandatory order issued by the Province of New Brunswick under the Emergency Measures Act , R.S.N.B. 2011, c. 147 , provided “the period from March 19, 2020 to September 18, 2020 shall not be counted in calculating the limitation period.” [ 17 ] On April 19, 2021, Mr. Larke filed a motion to have the doctors added as defendants to the action, and he served them with his amended proposed action on or about July 23, 2021. [ 18 ] On October 1, 2021, the motion judge dismissed Mr. Larke’s motion.
The motion judge held Mr. Larke discovered his cause of action as against the Hospital and the doctors on April 13, 2017 (the date of his appointment with Dr. Bouma). He further determined that Mr. Larke did not exercise reasonable diligence in finding the material facts underlying the claim (i.e., the names of the doctors), and ultimately that an action as against the doctors was prescribed by operation of s. 5 of the Limitation of Actions Act , S.N.B. 2009, c. L-8.5 . III. Grounds of Appeal [ 19 ] In his written submission to this Court, Mr.
Larke states the 13 grounds of appeal listed in the Notice of Appeal can be grouped into two categories. He submits the motion judge: 1) erred with respect to his
interpretation of Rules 5.04 and 27.10 of the Rules of Court ; and 2) erred with respect to the application of Act . [ 20 ] Mr. Larke contends the appeal can be decided solely on the basis of the misapplication of Rule 5.04. His submissions respecting the misapplication of the Act are made in the alternative, should we find the motion judge was correct in considering its provisions. [ 21 ] I would reorganize the grounds of appeal as follows:
a) did the motion judge deny the appellant procedural fairness?
b) did the motion judge err in his
interpretation and application of Rules 5.04 and 27.10? and
c) did the motion judge err in finding that the limitation period began to run on April 13, 2017? A. Mr. Larke’s position on appeal [ 22 ] Mr. Larke contends the motion judge erred when he decided the motion on the basis of the “reasonable diligence” component of the discoverability rule. Mr. Larke submits the motion judge decided a substantive issue in the litigation during a procedural motion in which the sole issue for determination was whether there was any prejudice to the doctors that could not be compensated for by costs or an adjournment.
[ 23 ] Mr. Larke says the judge did not apply the appropriate test pursuant to Rules 5.04 and 27.10 and considered factors that were not appropriate for the type of motion before him. Mr. Larke further submits the central issue on appeal is whether there was a lack of procedural fairness which created issues that caught him off-guard to the extent he was not prepared to argue them and he did not present a full evidentiary record that would allow adjudication of them. [ 24 ] Should we find that the discoverability rule in the Act was properly in play, Mr.
Larke submits the judge did not consider the Act as a whole and neglected to make findings on several of its relevant sections that could have affected the outcome. B. The respondent doctors’ position on appeal [ 25 ] The doctors submit the motion judge’s decision not to grant leave was discretionary and deference is owed. A discretionary decision may only be interfered with if it is founded on an error of law, an error in the application of the governing principles, or a palpable and overriding error. [ 26 ] The doctors say the motion judge’s finding that Mr.
Larke discovered the material facts permitting him to draw a plausible inference of liability on April 13, 2017, and that the limitation period had already expired when he sought leave to add them is a finding of mixed fact and law which cannot be interfered with absent palpable and overriding error (see Miramichi Lumber Products Inc. et al. v. Province of New Brunswick, as represented by the Department of Energy and Resource Development et al. , 2019 NBCA 61 , [2019] N.B.J. No. 202 (QL), at paras. 12-13 ). IV.
Standard of Review [ 27 ] The motion judge’s decision not to grant leave was discretionary which commands a high degree of deference accorded to such decisions. On appeal, the Court may only interfere if it is founded on an error of law, an error in the application of the governing principles, or an overriding error in the assessment of the evidence (see 666917 N.B. Inc. et al. v. Stairs Building
(2004) Ltd. , 2022 NBCA 22 ; Maisonneuve, Hamelin, Martin Ltd. v. JWT Campground Inc ., [2021] N.B.J. No. 205 (QL) (C.A.) ; The Beaverbrook Canadian Foundation v. The Beaverbrook Art Gallery , 2006 NBCA 75 , 302 N.B.R. (2d) 161). V. Analysis A. Was Mr. Larke denied procedural fairness? [ 28 ] Mr. Larke submits “the deep issue underlying this appeal is procedural fairness.” He says he invoked Rules 5.04 and 27.10 to add the doctors to the action. He did so relying on the tests that are relevant when seeking to add parties, all within the context of an action otherwise properly commenced. Mr.
Larke states the doctors did not file any pleadings or any countermotions. The doctors’ affidavit evidence indicated that, had Mr. Larke acted with due diligence and requested his chart from the Hospital, he would have been able to obtain their names well in advance of the end of the limitation period. Mr. Larke argues that, although the doctors filed a pre-hearing brief for the motion, it did not engage the issues relevant to the inquiry under Rules 5.04 and 27.10. [ 29 ] Mr.
Larke, instead, submits the motion judge conducted a hearing which focused on whether he used reasonable diligence in discovering the names of the doctors. According to him, a procedural motion where the relevant inquiry was whether there was any prejudice to the doctors that could not be compensated by costs or an adjournment was converted into a motion for
summary judgment respecting lack of reasonable diligence. He says he was surprised that the focus of the motion became discoverability and reasonable diligence as he thought these topics were irrelevant on a motion to add parties and amend pleadings under Rules 5.04 and 27.10. His position is that the only relevant inquiry at the hearing of the motion should have been whether there was any prejudice that could not be compensated for by an order of costs if the doctors were added. With respect, I disagree.
To the extent the addition of the doctors would have been moot given the limitation of action issue, it was entirely appropriate for the motion judge to focus the inquiry on the issue. To have done otherwise would have offended the rule of proportionality.
[ 30 ] Once Mr. Larke received the doctors’ affidavit and brief, he was aware of their position. The focus had changed, and the questions of reasonable diligence and discoverability were in play. He was required to address these issues at the motion. [ 31 ] The motion judge inquired whether Mr. Larke was advancing the position that he did not have the capacity to commence proceedings between April 2017 and April 2019. He offered Mr. Larke the opportunity to adduce evidence on the issues of capacity and discoverability. Instead, counsel for Mr.
Larke chose to maintain his original position respecting Rules 5.04 and 27.10 and limited his arguments to them. As a result, the motion judge asked counsel for Mr. Larke, on more than one occasion, if he wished to adduce new evidence on the issues of capacity and discoverability. Twice during the hearing, the motion judge advised counsel for Mr. Larke he would require further evidence to confirm that Mr. Larke had been incapacitated. Mr. Larke’s counsel chose not to avail himself of the opportunity.
It is apparent the motion judge considered the evidence before him and was satisfied there was not enough to find Mr. Larke was incapacitated for the purposes of s. 18(1) of the Act . [ 32 ] Mr. Larke submits the fact that the motion judge provided him with an opportunity to adduce additional evidence does not cure the lack of procedural fairness. [ 33 ] In this case, the evidence was that Mr. Larke saw the specialist on April 13, 2017, underwent surgery in Saint John in April 2017, and was hospitalized in Fredericton until July 2017. After his discharge, he underwent physiotherapy treatments in 2017 and 2018.
Before this Court, Mr. Larke submitted the limitation period did not commence until July 13, 2017, when he was discharged from the DECH. This is inconsistent with his position at the hearing where his counsel agreed April 13, 2017, was the crucial date respecting the beginning of the limitation period. Regardless, the limitation period commenced more than two years before he sought leave to amend his action and add the doctors, and more than two years and six months before the doctors had sufficient knowledge of the claim.
The onus was on him to show that, despite undertaking reasonable diligence, he was not able to discover the material facts (see Rumsam v. Pakes, 2019 ONCA 748 , [2019] O.J. No. 4798 (QL) , at para. 33 ). [ 34 ] The motion judge’s finding that Mr. Larke failed to exercise reasonable diligence in identifying the doctors is reviewable for palpable and overriding error as it is a question of mixed fact and law. The question is when could Mr. Larke reasonably have brought an action against them, considering his circumstances and interests.
To prove incapacity, he would have had to prove he was incapable of bringing the claim “because of his […] physical, mental or psychological condition” (see Carmichael v. GlaxoSmithKline Inc. , 2020 ONCA 447 , [2020] O.J. No. 3002 (QL), at para. 77 , leave to appeal to Supreme Court dismissed [2020] S.C.C.A. No. 409). In Carmichael , the court illustrated what evidence would be required to prove incapacity. The motion judge determined that Mr. Larke did not present evidence of incapacity; therefore, incapacity was not a factor. [ 35 ] Given incapacity was not proven, it was incumbent upon Mr.
Larke to lead evidence to establish that the identities of the doctors were not known or could not reasonably have been known with the exercise of reasonable diligence within the limitation period. This did not occur. I would dismiss this ground of appeal. B. Did the motion judge err in his application of Rules 5.04(2) and 27.10(1)? [ 36 ] Rule 5.04(2) states: 5.04 Misjoinder, Non-Joinder and Parties Named Incorrectly
(2) At any stage of a proceeding the court may grant leave to add, delete or substitute a party or to correct the name of a party and such leave shall be given, on such terms as may be just, unless prejudice will result which cannot be compensated for by costs or an adjournment. 5.04 Fausse jonction, omission de joindre une
partie et identification incorrecte des parties
(2) La cour peut, au cours d’une instance, donner la permission d’ajouter, de soustraire, de substituer une
partie ou de corriger le nom d’une partie. Cette permission doit être accordée, aux conditions qu’elle estime justes, à moins qu’il n’en résulte un préjudice qui ne saurait être compensé par l’attribution de dépens ou par un ajournement.
[37] Rule 27.10(1) reads: 27.10 Amendment of Pleadings General Power of Court
(1) Unless prejudice will result which cannotbe compensated for by costs or anadjournment, the court may, at any stage ofan action, grant leave to amend any pleadingon such terms as may be just and all suchamendments shall be made which arenecessary for the purpose of determining thereal questions in issue. 27.10 Modification des plaidoiries Attributions générales de la cour
(1) À moins qu’il n’en résulte un préjudicequi ne saurait être compensé par des dépensou par un ajournement, la cour peut, au coursd’une action, accorder la permission demodifier une plaidoirie aux conditions qu’elleestime justes. Toutes les modifications quis’avèrent nécessaires à la détermination desvéritables questions en litige doivent êtreapportées. [38] A limitation period is a substantive right, which a defendant can plead. In Clark v. Naqui (1990), (NB CA), 99 N.B.R. (2d) 271, [1989] N.B.J.
No. 1003 (QL) (C.A.), Stratton C.J.N.B. wrote: It is my opinion that in the present case the limitation defence under the Nova Scotia Limitations of Actions Act should be characterizedas substantive. As I read it, the purpose of that Act is to create “an accrued right” to plead a time bar, a right which was acquired in thiscase after the lapse of the one year limitation period. As was said by Lord Brightman in Yew Bon Tew v. Kenderaan Bas Mara, [1983] 1A.C. 553 at p. 563 and cited with approval by Chouinard, J. for a unanimous Court in Martin v.
Perrie, (CSC), [1986] 1S.C.R. 41 at p. 49: The briefest consideration will expose the injustice of the contrary view. When a period of limitation has expired, a potential defendantshould be able to assume that he is no longer at risk from a stale claim. He should be able to part with his papers if they exist and discardany proofs of witnesses which have been taken; discharge his solicitor if he has been retained; and order his affairs on the basis that hispotential liability has gone.
That is the whole purpose of the limitation defence. [para. 1] [39] Stratton C.J.N.B.’s approach was confirmed by La Forest J. in Tolofson v. Jensen; Lucas (Litigation Guardianof) v. Gagnon, (CSC), [1994] 3 S.C.R. 1022, [1994] S.C.J. No. 110 (QL): Such a step has already been judicially attempted by Stratton C.J.N.B. in Clark v. Naqvi (1990), (NB CA), 99 N.B.R.(2d) 271 (C.A.). In that case Clark, in 1978, received medical treatment from Dr. Naqvi in Nova Scotia. He commenced an action forinjuries arising out of that treatment in New Brunswick in 1984.
The limitation period in respect of such proceedings in Nova Scotia wasone year. The majority of the New Brunswick Court of Appeal held that the action was statute barred (Ryan J.A. dissenting). Referring toboth Yew Bon Tew v. Kenderaan Bas Mara and Martin v. Perrie, Stratton J.A. held, at p. 275, that the limitation period was substantive,notwithstanding that it was phrased “[t]he actions … shall be commenced within …”, because it created an accrued right in the defendantto plead a time bar. Hoyt J.A., while concurring in the result, was reluctant to make such a categorical statement.
Ryan J.A., dissenting,was unwilling to abandon the traditional common law rule that statutes of limitation are procedural, though he decided the case ondifferent grounds. In my view, the reasoning of Stratton C.J.N.B. is correct. He stated, at p. 276: When I read the words used in s. 2(1)(d)(
i) of the Nova Scotia Limitation of Actions Act in their grammatical and ordinary sense, Iconclude that the limitation period in respect of actions for negligence or malpractice against a registered medical practitioner is one yearfrom the date of the termination of medical services. Moreover, in my view, the
section was enacted by the Legislature with the purposeand intention of protecting the medical profession from stale claims when evidence may no longer be available to defending litigantswho come within the protection of the
section …. [pp. 1072-1073]
[40] In Russell et al. v. MacKay, 2007 NBCA 55, 318 N.B.R. (2d) 345, Drapeau C.J.N.B., as he then was, wrote: However, the overwhelming weight of jurisprudential authority favours the view that the superior court's inherent powers do not includethe power to extend statutorily prescribed limitation periods (see Mew, The Law of Limitations at 101, Jeremy S. Williams, Limitation ofActions in Canada, 2nd ed. (Toronto: Butterworths, 1980) at 198, K.C. v. New Brunswick (Minister of Health and Community Services)(1998), (NB CA), 203 N.B.R. (2d) 88 (C.A.), [1998] N.B.J. No. 311 (QL), Duguay c.
Commission de la santé, de lasécurité et de l’indemnisation des accidents au travail (N.-B.), [2002] N.B.R. (2d) (Supp.) No. 62 (C.A.; Larlee J.A.), [2002] N.B.J. No.201 (QL), and Anderson v. Betts et al. (2001), (NB BR), 235 N.B.R. (2d) 295 (Q.B.; Garnett J.), [2001] N.B.J. No. 52(QL). I would go further and say that Murphy v. Welsh; Stoddard v. Watson, (CSC), [1993] 2 S.C.R. 1069, [1993] S.C.J.No. 83 (QL) settled any outstanding debate on the subject. [para. 50] [41] In Lévesque and BMG Farming Ltd. v.
Province of New Brunswick and New Brunswick Crop InsuranceCommission, 2011 NBCA 48, 372 N.B.R (2d) 202, the motion judge allowed the plaintiffs (appellants on appeal) to amend theirrespective Statements of Claim for the purpose of: (1) joining an additional party (the Commission) as a defendant long after thelimitation period had passed; and (2) adding claims for breach of contract and restitution based on quantum meruit. [42] At trial, the Commission moved for non-suit.
The trial judge held that the appellants’ right to commenceproceedings against the Province for breach of contract and restitution was extinguished by the time those claims were added in 2006. [43] On appeal, Drapeau C.J.N.B. confirmed that the appellants should not have been granted leave to amend theirrespective Statements of Claim and that such an order should not be granted where the defendants, as in the case before us, confirmedtheir intention to plead the limitation period and nothing in the record disentitles the defendants to plead and rely upon the same (seeparas. 38 and 78). See also Charest (
F) Ltée and Tessier (René) Ltée v. New Brunswick (1985), (NB BR), 60 N.B.R.(2d) 436, [1985] N.B.J. No. 142 (QL), at para. 21, affirmed on different grounds in (1986), (NB CA), 68 N.B.R. (2d)268, [1986] N.B.J. No. 10 (QL) (C.A.), where Creaghan J. refused an amendment to a pleading that would have had the effect ofpreserving a cause of action restricted by legislation. [44] In
summary, a limitation period is a substantive right. The motion judge did not have the inherent power toextend it. Doing so would have denied the doctors a substantive right resulting in prejudice. Once the motion judge determined Mr.Larke had not met the limitation period, it was not necessary to address Rules 5.04 and 27.10. I would dismiss this ground of appeal. C. Did the motion judge err in determining the limitation period began to run on April 13, 2017? [45] In Grant Thornton LLP v. New Brunswick, 2021 SCC 31, [2021] S.C.J.
No. 31 (QL), the Supreme Court setout the test respecting discoverability of a claim under s. 5 of the Act: This case turns on the standard to be applied in determining whether a plaintiff has the requisite degree of knowledge to discover a claimunder s. 5(2), thereby triggering the two-year limitation period in s. 5(1)(a). Respectfully, the Court of Appeal adopted too high astandard. In my view, a claim is discovered when the plaintiff has knowledge, actual or constructive, of the material facts upon which aplausible inference of liability on the defendant's
part can be drawn. It follows from this standard that a plaintiff does not need knowledgeof all the constituent elements of a claim to discover that claim. [Emphasis added; para. 3] [46] In the case before us, the motion judge determined the limitation period began to run on April 13, 2017. Thiswas the date Mr. Larke was informed by Dr. Bouma that his ongoing symptoms were due to a spinal cord compression that had not beendiagnosed while he was treated at the Hospital. As a result of the injury going undiagnosed and untreated, it was unlikely Mr.
Larkewould recover the level of mobility he had prior to the fall. [47] Section 5(2) of the Act is premised on knowledge, actual or constructive, of facts. The employment status ofthe doctors was not a fact that Mr. Larke had to know or discover for the two-year limitation period to begin running. Therefore, there isno merit to Mr. Larke’s position that the limitation period only commenced when he was advised by his counsel that, in New Brunswick,doctors are not usually employees of hospitals. Whether an individual is an employee at common law is not a material fact for thepurposes of s. 5 of the Act.
It is a legal question. In Goyetche et al. v. International Union of Operating Engineers et.al., 2019 NBCA 16,[2019] N.B.J. No. 36 (QL), Drapeau J.A. wrote:
In the “Appellant’s Factum”, it is acknowledged the appellants knew “they were losing their jobs and pensions in August of 2005, whenthey were informed that the mill was closing down”, but that “they did not know that their loss of pension benefits was a result of theirunions’ negligence until August of 2009”.
This acknowledgement is problematic because it is broadly accepted that, if the material factsare known, ignorance of the applicable law does not postpone any limitation period on the basis of the discoverability doctrine: GraemeMew, Debra Rolph and Daniel Zacks, The Law of Limitations, 3rd ed. (Toronto, LexisNexis, 2016), at p. 83, para. 3.52. In Nicholas v.Tétrault, (ON SC), [2008] O.J. No. 4258 (QL), affirmed 2009 ONCA 692, [2009] O.J. No. 4061 (QL), leave toappeal dismissed [2009] S.C.C.A.
No. 476 (QL), Justice Perell noted ignorance “of the legal consequences of the facts does not postponethe running of the limitation period” (para. 27). [para. 40] [48] In Nicholas v. Tétrault, (ON SC), [2008] O.J. No. 4258 (QL), affirmed at 2009 ONCA692, [2009] O.J. No. 4061 (QL), leave to appeal to the Supreme Court dismissed [2009] S.C.C.A.
No. 476, the court stated: The circumstance that a potential claimant may not appreciate the legal significance of the facts does not postpone the commencement ofthe limitation period if he or she knows or ought to know the existence of the material facts, which is to say the constitute elements of hisor her cause of action. Error or ignorance of the law or legal consequences of the facts does not postpone the running of the limitationperiod: Coutanche v. Napoleon Delicatessen (2004), (ON CA), 72 O.R. (3d) 122 (C.A.); Calgar v. Moore, [2005]O.J. No. 4606 (S.C.J.); Milbury v.
Nova Scotia (Attorney General) (2007), 2007 NSCA 52 , 283 D.L.R. (4th) 449 (N.S.C.A.);Hill v. South Alberta Land Registration District (1993), 1993 ABCA 75 , 100 D.L.R. (4th) 331 (Alta. C.A.). [para. 27] [49] Mr. Larke relies on Lubyk v. Sakatoon District Health Board, 2003 SKQB 408, [2003] S.J. No. 696 (QL).
Asillustrated by the doctors in their written submission, Lubyk is distinguishable from this case on both the facts and the legislative schemein place in Saskatchewan. [50] In Lubyk, the plaintiff commenced an action in negligence against the Saskatoon District Health Board, JohnDoe, Jane Doe, and all other persons and legal entities whose names were unknown to the plaintiff. She alleged in her Statement ofClaim that the physicians who treated her were the employees of the Health Board, and, therefore, the Health Board was vicariouslyliable for the physicians’ acts or omissions.
The plaintiff later applied to the court for leave to amend her Statement of Claim to correctthe legal relationship between the Health Board and the proposed defendant physicians, to plead that the physicians were independentcontractors and claim against them directly. In essence, the plaintiff was seeking to amend the capacity in which the physicians werebeing sued. [51] The plaintiff relied on s. 30 of The Queen’s Bench Act, 1998, S.S. 1998, c.
Q-1.01, which provided: Amendment of pleadings in certain cases 30 Notwithstanding the expiry of a limitationperiod after the commencement of an action,a judge may allow an amendment to thepleadings that asserts a new claim or adds orsubstitutes parties, if: (
a) the claim asserted by the amendment, orby or against the new party, arises out of thesame transaction or occurrence as the originalclaim; and (
b) the judge is satisfied that no party willsuffer actual prejudice as a result of theamendment. Modification des plaidoiries 30 Même si le délai de prescription est écoulédepuis l’introduction de l’action, le juge peutpermettre que les plaidoiries soient modifiéespar adjonction d’une nouvelle demande oupar ajout ou remplacement d’une partie, si lesdeux conditions suivantes sont réunies:
a) la modification provient de la même caused’action que la demande primitive;
b) le juge est convaincu que la modificationne cause pas réellement de préjudice à l’uneou l’autre des parties.
[ 52 ] The Queen’s Bench Act, 1998 does not require that the proposed added party have knowledge of a proposed added claim within a specified time.
This stands in absolute contrast to the New Brunswick Limitation of Actions Act , which provides at s. 21 that a claim may be added despite the expiry of the limitation period if the claim adds a defendant or changes the capacity in which a defendant is sued, but the defendant has to have received, within six months after the expiry of the limitation period, sufficient knowledge of the added claim that he or she will not be prejudiced in defending against the claim on the merits. [ 53 ] Had the New Brunswick Legislature intended to allow the addition of parties after the expiry of a limitation period if the plaintiff did not have knowledge of the individuals they wished to add to the claim within the six-month limitation period (s. 21), it would have stated so in the Act . [ 54 ] Also, in Lubyk, the doctors were identified in the Statement of Claim as John Doe and Jane Doe, and the Court stated it believed the Health Board would have brought the claim to the doctors’ attention within the limitation period.
Mr. Larke did not identify any potential doctors in his Statement of Claim. [ 55 ] In the case before us, Mr. Larke did not adduce evidence at the hearing of the motion to support his argument that, until he was advised differently by his counsel, he thought doctors were employed by hospitals. A review of the record reveals the judge offered ample opportunity to Mr. Larke’s counsel at the hearing to adduce that evidence, but the offer was declined. [ 56 ] I would dismiss this ground of appeal. VI. Conclusion and Disposition [ 57 ] For these reasons, I would dismiss this appeal with costs of $2,500.
Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par LA JUGE QUIGG I. Introduction [1] Dans le présent appel, la question en litige est de savoir si un juge de première instance a commis une erreur en rejetant la motion de Mitch Larke, présentée en vertu des règles 5.04(2) et 27.10 des Règles de procédure et par laquelle il demandait l’autorisation de joindre divers médecins à une action qu’il avait intentée à un hôpital, au motif que l’action était prescrite. II. Contexte A. Chronologie [2] Le 19 novembre 2016, M. Larke a fait une chute chez lui et subi des blessures importantes.
Il a été conduit en ambulance à l’intimé l’Hôpital général de Grand-Sault du Réseau de santé Vitalité (l’Hôpital général) et y a été traité par plusieurs dispensateurs de soins de santé.
[3] Le 5 janvier 2017, M. Larke a obtenu son congé de l’Hôpital général et est retourné chez lui. De retour chez lui, il s’est rendu compte qu’il était incapable de prendre soin de lui-même. I l a été transféré à un foyer de soins spéciaux. [4] À partir de son congé de l’Hôpital général en janvier 2017 jusqu’au début du mois d’avril 2017, M. Larke a fourni des efforts en vue de retrouver son état préalable à la chute par le biais de la physiothérapie. [5] Le 13 avril 2017, il a reçu une consultation en neurologie avec la D re Hanni Bouma à l’Hôpital D r Everett Chalmers à Fredericton, au Nouveau-Brunswick.
La D re Bouma l’a informé que ses symptômes étaient attribuables à une compression de la moelle épinière qui n’avait pas été diagnostiquée après sa chute. En raison du diagnostic erroné et du traitement inapproprié, il était peu probable qu’il retrouve la mobilité physique dont il jouissait avant sa chute. [6] Ce jour-là, M.
Larke a été admis à l’Hôpital D r Everett Chalmers par la D re Bouma et, quelques jours plus tard, il a été transféré à l’Hôpital régional de Saint John, où il a subi une laminoplastie cervicale pour traiter sa blessure qui n’avait pas été diagnostiquée auparavant. [7] L’opération a été suivie de son transfert à l’Hôpital D r Everett Chalmers, où il est demeuré pour subir des traitements de réadaptation jusqu’à son retour au foyer de soins spéciaux en juillet 2017 . B. Avocats [8] M.
Larke a tenté d’obtenir des copies de son dossier de l’hôpital et d’autres documents médicaux par l’intermédiaire de son médecin de famille au début de 2019, en pensant que ces documents contiendraient de l’information relative à son hospitalisation de fin 2016 à Grand-Sault. [9] Au mois de mars 2019 ou vers cette époque, M. Larke a communiqué avec un avocat pour intenter une action aux parties pouvant être responsables de son état.
À ce moment-là, il pensait qu’il s’agirait de l’Hôpital général et de ses employés, notamment les médecins, le personnel infirmier et les autres membres du personnel. [10] C’est à ce moment qu’il a été informé que, au Nouveau-Brunswick, les médecins ne sont généralement pas des employés des hôpitaux dans lesquels ils travaillent et que les médecins particuliers devraient être nommés comme parties à l’action. [11] Le 8 avril 2019, un avis de poursuite accompagné d’un exposé de la demande a été déposé au nom de M. Larke.
L’Hôpital général y était nommément désigné en qualité de défendeur, mais pas les médecins particuliers. [12] À la fin mars ou avril 2019, M. Larke a demandé à la Perth Medical Clinic d’envoyer d’autres documents à son avocat. Ne figurait parmi les documents reçus aucun dossier de l’Hôpital général. [13] L’action a été signifiée à l’Hôpital général en août 2019 et une avocate a été désignée pour le représenter. L’avocat de M.
Larke a dû obtenir cette information de l’avocate de l’Hôpital général. [14] En janvier 2020, un avis de poursuite accompagné d’un exposé de la demande modifié, retirant le recours antérieur à la règle 79 des Règles de procédure et élargissant la portée des allégations soulevées contre l’Hôpital général, a été déposé au nom de M. Larke. [15] En réponse, le 29 janvier 2020, l’avocate de l’Hôpital général a fourni à l’avocat de M. Larke des dossiers de l’Hôpital général identifiant les médecins qui ont traité M. Larke lors de son hospitalisation de 2016 (les médecins).
[16] Le 18 février 2020, l’Hôpital général a déposé un exposé de la défense. Il y niait que les médecins qui ont prodigué des soins à M. Larke soient des employés de l’Hôpital général et que tout traitement inapproprié de la part de médecins puisse être attribué à l’Hôpital général et y indiquait que l’on ne pouvait pas imputer à l’Hôpital général la responsabilité en droit à l’égard des actions des médecins. En raison de la COVID-19, les délais de prescription au Nouveau-Brunswick ont été suspendus pour une période de six mois. Un arrêté obligatoire rendu par la province du Nouveau-Brunswick en vertu de la
Loi sur les mesures d’urgence , L.R.N.-B. 2011, ch. 147, prévoyait que « [l]a période allant du 19 mars au 18 septembre 2020 ne sera pas comptée dans le calcul du délai de prescription ». [17] Le 19 avril 2021, M. Larke a déposé une motion pour faire ajouter les médecins en qualité de défendeurs à l’action et il leur a signifié son projet d’action modifié le 23 juillet 2021 ou vers cette date. [18] Le 1 er octobre 2021, le juge saisi de la motion a rejeté la motion de M. Larke. Il a conclu que M.
Larke avait découvert sa cause d’action contre l’Hôpital général et les médecins le 13 avril 2017 (la date de son rendez-vous avec la D re Bouma). Il a en outre jugé que M. Larke n’avait pas fait preuve d’une diligence raisonnable dans la découverte des faits déterminants sur lesquels repose la réclamation (c’est-à-dire les noms des médecins) et, finalement, qu’une action contre les médecins était prescrite par application de l’ art. 5 de la
Loi sur la prescription , L.N.-B. 2009, ch. L-8.5 . III. Moyens d’appel [19] Dans son mémoire à notre Cour, M. Larke indique que les 13 moyens d’appel énoncés dans l’avis d’appel peuvent être regroupés en deux catégories. Il fait valoir que le juge saisi de la motion : 1) a commis une erreur dans son interprétation des règles 5.04 et 27.10 des Règles de procédure , 2) a commis une erreur dans l’application de la Loi . [20] M. Larke prétend que l’appel peut être tranché sur le seul fondement de l’application erronée de la règle 5.04. Ses observations concernant l’application erronée de la Loi sont formulées à
titre subsidiaire, à considérer dans l’éventualité où nous jugerions que le juge saisi de la motion a eu raison de tenir compte de ses dispositions. [21] Je regrouperais les moyens d’appel de la façon suivante :
a) l e juge saisi de la motion a-t-il privé l’appelant de l’équité procédurale?
b) le juge saisi de la motion a-t-il commis une erreur dans son interprétation et son application des règles 5.04 et 27.10?
c) le juge saisi de la motion a-t-il commis une erreur en concluant que le délai de prescription a commencé à courir le 13 avril 2017? A. La position de M. Larke en appel [22] M. Larke fait valoir que le juge saisi de la motion a commis une erreur en tranchant la motion sur le fondement de l’élément de la [TRADUCTION] « diligence raisonnable » du principe de la possibilité de découvrir le dommage. M.
Larke soutient que le juge saisi de la motion a tranché une question de fond dans le cadre d’une motion d’ordre procédural dans laquelle la seule question à trancher était de savoir si un préjudice était causé aux médecins qui ne saurait être compensé par l’attribution de dépens ou par un ajournement. [23] M. Larke prétend que le juge n’a pas appliqué le critère approprié dans son application des règles 5.04 et 27.10
et qu’il a tenu compte de facteurs qui n’étaient pas appropriés pour le type de motion dont il était saisi. M. Larke prétend en outre que la question fondamentale en appel est de savoir s’il y a eu un manquement à l’équité procédurale qui a soulevé des questions qui l’ont pris au dépourvu, dans la mesure où il n’était pas prêt à en débattre et où il n’a pas présenté un dossier de preuve complet qui aurait permis de les trancher. [24] Si nous devions conclure que la règle de la découverte des faits prévue dans la Loi était bien engagée, M.
Larke fait valoir que le juge n’a pas tenu compte de la Loi dans son ensemble et a négligé de tirer des conclusions sur plusieurs de ses articles pertinents qui auraient pu avoir un effet sur le résultat. B. La position des médecins intimés en appel [25] Les médecins prétendent que la décision du juge saisi de la motion de ne pas accorder l’autorisation était discrétionnaire et qu’il y a lieu de faire preuve de retenue.
La Cour ne peut infirmer une décision discrétionnaire que si elle est fondée sur une erreur de droit, une erreur dans l’application des principes directeurs ou une erreur manifeste et dominante. [26] Les médecins affirment que la conclusion du juge saisi de la motion selon laquelle M.
Larke a découvert les faits déterminants lui permettant de tirer une inférence plausible quant à la responsabilité le 13 avril 2017 et que le délai de prescription était déjà expiré lorsqu’il a demandé l’autorisation de les joindre en qualité de parties est une question mixte de fait et de droit au sujet de laquelle une cour ne devrait pas intervenir à moins qu’une erreur manifeste et dominante n’ait été commise (voir Miramichi Lumber Products Inc. et autre c.
Province du Nouveau-Brunswick, représentée par le Ministère du développement de l’énergie et des ressources et autres , 2019 NBCA 61 , [2019] A.N.-B. n o 202 (QL), aux par. 12 et 13 ). IV. Norme de contrôle [27] La décision du juge saisi de la motion de ne pas accorder l’autorisation relevait de son pouvoir discrétionnaire et il y a lieu de faire preuve d’une grande retenue à l’égard de telles décisions.
En appel, la Cour ne peut intervenir que si la décision est fondée sur une erreur de droit, sur une erreur dans l’application des principes directeurs ou sur une erreur dominante dans l’évaluation de la preuve (voir 666917 N.B. Inc. et autre c. Stairs Building
(2004) Ltd. , 2022 NBCA 22 ; Maisonneuve, Hamelin, Martin Ltd. c. JWT Campground Inc ., [2021] A.N.-B. n o 205 (QL) (C.A.) ; La Beaverbrook Canadian Foundation c. La Galerie d’art Beaverbrook , 2006 NBCA 75 , 302 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 161). V. Analyse A. M. Larke a-t-il été privé de son droit à l’équité procédurale? [28] M. Larke fait valoir que [TRADUCTION] « la question fondamentale qui sous-tend le présent appel est l’équité procédurale ». Il indique avoir invoqué les règles 5.04 et 27.10 pour joindre les médecins à l’action.
Il l’a fait en se fondant sur les critères qui sont pertinents lorsqu’on cherche à joindre des parties, le tout dans le contexte d’une action par ailleurs dûment introduite. M. Larke indique que les médecins n’ont pas déposé de plaidoiries ou de motions incidentes. La preuve par affidavit des médecins indique que, si M. Larke avait agi avec une diligence raisonnable et demandé son dossier à l’hôpital, il aurait pu obtenir leurs noms bien avant l’expiration du délai de prescription. M.
Larke fait valoir que, bien que les médecins aient déposé un mémoire préparatoire dans la motion, ce mémoire ne traite pas des questions applicables à l’enquête à effectuer au
titre des règles 5.04 et 27.10. [29] M. Larke prétend plutôt que le juge saisi de la motion a tenu une audience qui visait à déterminer s’il avait fait preuve de diligence raisonnable dans la découverte des noms des médecins. Selon lui, une motion d’ordre procédural dans laquelle la question pertinente était de savoir si un préjudice était causé aux médecins qui ne saurait être compensé par l’attribution de dépens ou par un ajournement a été convertie en une motion en jugement
sommaire fondée sur le manque de diligence raisonnable. Il a dit avoir été surpris que la possibilité de découvrir les faits et la diligence raisonnable soient devenus l’objet principal de la motion, car il pensait que ces questions n’étaient pas pertinentes dans le cadre d’une motion visant à joindre des parties et à modifier des plaidoiries qui a été présentée en vertu des règles 5.04 et 27.10.
Selon lui, la seule question pertinente lors de l’audition de la motion était de savoir s’il y avait un préjudice qui ne saurait être compensé par l’attribution de dépens si les médecins étaient ajoutés en tant que parties. Avec égards, je ne suis pas de cet avis. Dans la mesure où la question de l’ajout des médecins était devenue théorique en raison de l’expiration du délai de prescription, il était tout à fait approprié pour le juge saisi de la motion de mettre l’accent sur cette question. Agir autrement aurait violé la règle de la proportionnalité.
[30] M. Larke a pris connaissance de la position des médecins dès qu’il a reçu leur affidavit et leur mémoire. L’objet avait changé et les questions de la diligence raisonnable et de la possibilité de découvrir les faits étaient engagées. Il était tenu d’aborder ces questions lors de l’audience sur la motion. [31] Le juge saisi de la motion a demandé si M. Larke faisait valoir qu’il n’avait pas la capacité d’intenter une instance entre avril 2017 et avril 2019. Il a offert à M. Larke la possibilité de produire des éléments de preuve sur les questions de la capacité et de la possibilité de découvrir les faits.
L’avocat de M. Larke a plutôt choisi de maintenir sa position initiale quant aux règles 5.04 et 27.10 et a limité ses arguments à ces questions. Par conséquent, le juge saisi de la motion a demandé à l’avocat de M. Larke, à plus d’une reprise, s’il souhaitait présenter de nouveaux éléments de preuve sur les questions de la capacité et de la possibilité de découvrir les faits. Deux fois au cours de l’audience, le juge saisi de la motion a informé l’avocat de M. Larke qu’il avait besoin d’autre preuve pour confirmer que M. Larke avait été frappé d’incapacité. L’avocat de M.
Larke a choisi de ne pas se prévaloir de cette possibilité. Il est évident que le juge saisi de la motion a examiné la preuve qui lui a été présentée et qu’il était convaincu qu’il n’y avait pas suffisamment de preuve pour conclure que M. Larke était frappé d’incapacité pour l’application du par. 18(1) de la Loi . [32] M. Larke fait valoir que le fait que le juge saisi de la motion lui ait donné la possibilité de produire de la preuve supplémentaire ne remédie pas au manquement à l’équité procédurale. [33] En l’espèce, la preuve indique que M.
Larke a consulté la spécialiste le 13 avril 2017, qu’il a subi une opération à Saint John en avril 2017 et qu’il a été hospitalisé à Fredericton jusqu’en juillet 2017. Après avoir obtenu son congé de l’hôpital, il a suivi des traitements de physiothérapie en 2017 et en 2018. Devant notre Cour, M. Larke prétend que le délai de prescription n’a pas commencé à courir avant le 13 juillet 2017, lorsqu’il a obtenu son congé de l’Hôpital D r Everett Chalmers .
Cette position est incompatible avec celle qu’il a adoptée à l’audience, où son avocat a convenu que le 13 avril 2017 était la date cruciale pour ce qui est du moment où le délai de prescription commençait à courir. Quoi qu’il en soit, le délai de prescription a commencé à courir plus de deux ans avant qu’il ne demande l’autorisation de modifier son action et de joindre les médecins, et plus de deux ans et six mois avant que les médecins aient une connaissance suffisante de la demande.
Il lui incombait de démontrer que, malgré qu’il ait fait preuve de diligence raisonnable, il n’avait pas été en mesure de découvrir les faits déterminants (voir Rumsam c. Pakes , 2019 ONCA 748 , [2019] O.J. No. 4798 (QL), au par. 33 ). [34] La conclusion du juge saisi de la motion selon laquelle M. Larke n’a pas fait preuve de diligence raisonnable dans l’identification des médecins est susceptible de contrôle suivant la norme de l’erreur manifeste et dominante, car il s’agit d’une question mixte de fait et de droit. La question est de savoir à quel moment M.
Larke aurait pu raisonnablement intenter une action contre les médecins, compte tenu de sa situation et de ses intérêts. Pour établir une incapacité, il lui aurait fallu démontrer qu’il était incapable de présenter une demande [TRADUCTION] « en raison de son […] état physique ou psychologique » (voir Carmichael c. GlaxoSmithKline Inc. , 2020 ONCA 447 , [2020] O.J. No. 3002 (QL), au par. 77 , autorisation d’interjeter appel à la Cour suprême refusée [2020] C.S.C.R. n o 409). Dans l’arrêt Carmichael , la Cour a énoncé les éléments de preuves nécessaires pour établir l’incapacité.
Le juge saisi de la motion a jugé que M. Larke n’avait pas présenté de preuve d’incapacité. L’incapacité n’était donc pas un facteur. [35] Puisque l’incapacité n’avait pas été prouvée, il incombait à M. Larke de présenter de la preuve pour établir que l’identité des médecins n’était pas connue ou n’aurait pu raisonnablement être connue en exerçant une diligence raisonnable dans le délai de prescription. Cela n’a pas été fait. Je rejetterais ce moyen d’appel. B. Le juge saisi de la motion a-t-il commis une erreur dans son application des règles 5.04(2) et 27.10(1)? [36] La règle 5.04(2) est libellée ainsi :
5.04 Misjoinder, Non-Joinder and PartiesNamed Incorrectly
(2) At any stage of a proceeding the courtmay grant leave to add, delete or substitute aparty or to correct the name of a party andsuch leave shall be given, on such terms asmay be just, unless prejudice will resultwhich cannot be compensated for by costs oran adjournment. 5.04 Fausse jonction, omission de joindreune
partie et identification incorrecte desparties
(2) La cour peut, au cours d’une instance,donner la permission d’ajouter, de soustraire,de substituer une
partie ou de corriger le nomd’une partie. Cette permission doit êtreaccordée, aux conditions qu’elle estimejustes, à moins qu’il n’en résulte un préjudicequi ne saurait être compensé par l’attributionde dépens ou par un ajournement. [37] La règle 27.10(1) est libellée ainsi : 27.10 Amendment of Pleadings General Power of Court
(1) Unless prejudice will result which cannotbe compensated for by costs or anadjournment, the court may, at any stage ofan action, grant leave to amend any pleadingon such terms as may be just and all suchamendments shall be made which arenecessary for the purpose of determining thereal questions in issue. 27.10 Modification des plaidoiries Attributions générales de la cour
(1) À moins qu’il n’en résulte un préjudicequi ne saurait être compensé par des dépensou par un ajournement, la cour peut, au coursd’une action, accorder la permission demodifier une plaidoirie aux conditions qu’elleestime justes. Toutes les modifications quis’avèrent nécessaires à la détermination desvéritables questions en litige doivent êtreapportées. [38] Un délai de prescription est un droit substantiel qu’un défendeur peut invoquer. Dans Clark c.
Naqvi (1990), (NB CA), 99 R.N.-B. (2e) 271, [1989] A.N.-B. no 1003 (QL) (C.A.), le juge en chef Stratton a indiqué ce qui suit : [TRADUCTION] Je suis d’avis que, dans la présente affaire, la défense de prescription visée par la loi de la Nouvelle-Écosse intitulée Limitation of ActionsAct, possède un caractère substantiel. Selon mon interprétation, cette loi a pour objet de créer un « droit acquis » d’invoquer laprescription, droit qui, en l’espèce, a été acquis après que le délai de prescription d’un an eut couru. Comme l’a dit Lord Brightman dansl’arrêt Yew Bon Tew c.
Kenderaan Bas Mara, [1983] 1 A.C. 553, à la p. 563, passage que le juge Chouinard a approuvé et cité enrendant le jugement unanime de la Cour dans l’arrêt Martin c. Perrie, (CSC), [1986] 1 R.C.S. 41, à la p. 49 : [TRADUCTION] L’examen, même le plus
sommaire, de l’opinion contraire en montre toute l’injustice. Lorsque la prescriptionextinctive est acquise, le défendeur éventuel devrait pouvoir présumer qu’il n’a plus à craindre une demande maintenant caduque. Ildevrait pouvoir se départir de ses documents, s’ils existent, et des notes concernant les témoignages de ses témoins qui ont été prises;mettre fin au mandat de son avocat, s’il en a retenu un, et ordonner ses affaires en prenant pour acquis qu’il n’encourt plus aucuneresponsabilité.
C’est là la raison d’être de la défense de prescription. [par. 3] [39] La méthode du juge en chef Stratton a été confirmée par le juge La Forest dans Tolofson c. Jensen; Lucas (Tutrice à l’instance de) c. Gagnon, (CSC), [1994] 3 R.C.S. 1022, [1994] A.C.S. no 110 (QL) : Une tentative a déjà été faite en ce sens par le juge en chef Stratton du Nouveau-Brunswick dans l’arrêt Clark c. Naqvi (1990), (NB CA), 99 R.N.-B. (2e) 271 (C.A.). Dans cette affaire, M. Clark avait reçu en 1978 des soins médicaux du Dr Naqvi enNouvelle-Écosse.
En 1984, il a intenté une action au Nouveau-Brunswick pour le préjudice résultant de ces soins. Le délai deprescription pour ce type de procédures était d’un an en Nouvelle-Écosse. La Cour d’appel du Nouveau-Brunswick a conclu à la majoritéque l’action était prescrite (le juge Ryan étant dissident). Se reportant aux arrêts Yew Bon Tew c. Kenderaan Bas Mara et Martin c.
Perrie, le juge en chef Stratton, à la p. 275, a estimé que le délai de prescription était une règle de fond, même si la disposition qui lefixait commençait par les mots « [l]es actions […] devront être intentées dans les délais… », parce qu’il conférait au défendeur un droitacquis d’invoquer la prescription. Bien que souscrivant au résultat, le juge Hoyt s’est montré réticent à faire une affirmation aussicatégorique.
Quant au juge Ryan, dissident, il n’était pas disposé à abandonner la règle traditionnelle de common law selon laquelle leslois en matière de prescription sont de nature procédurale, bien qu’il ait tranché l’affaire en fonction d’autres motifs. À mon avis, le raisonnement du juge en chef Stratton est juste. Voici comment il s’exprime, à la p. 276 : Si je lis les termes employés au sous-alinéa 2(1)d)(
i) de la Limitation of Actions Act de la Nouvelle-Écosse en leur donnant leur sensgrammatical et ordinaire, je conclus que le délai de prescription, en ce qui a trait aux actions pour négligence ou faute professionnellecontre un médecin inscrit, est d’un an à compter de la date à laquelle les services médicaux ont pris fin.
Je suis en outre d’avis que laLégislature a adopté ce sous-alinéa dans l’intention et dans le but de mettre la profession médicale à l’abri des demandes caduquessusceptibles d’être formées à un moment où il est possible que les défendeurs bénéficiant de la protection visée au sous-alinéa nedisposent plus des éléments de preuve… [p. 1072 à 1073] [40] Dans Russell et al. c.
MacKay, 2007 NBCA 55, 318 R.N.-B. (2e) 345, le juge en chef Drapeau (tel était alorsson titre) a déclaré ce qui suit : Toutefois, le poids écrasant de la jurisprudence favorise l’opinion voulant que les pouvoirs inhérents d’une cour supérieure necomprennent pas celui de proroger des délais de prescription fixés par la loi (voir l’ouvrage de Graeme Mew, intitulé The Law of Limitations, à la p. 101, celui de Jeremy S. Williams, intitulé Limitation of Actions in Canada, 2e éd. (Toronto : Butterworths, 1980) à lap. 198, les arrêts K.C. c.
New Brunswick (Minister of Health and Community Services) (1998), (NB CA), 203 R.N.-B. (2e) 88 (C.A.), [1998] A.N.-B. no 311 (QL), Duguay c. Commission de la santé, de la sécurité et de l’indemnisation des accidents au travail (N.-B.), [2002] N.B.R. (2d) (Supp.) No. 62 (C.A., la juge Larlee), [2002] A.N.-B. no 201 (QL), et la décision Anderson c. Betts et al. (2001), (NB BR), 235 R.N.-B. (2e) 295 (C.B.R., la juge Garnett), [2001] A.N.-B. no 52 (QL)).J’irais plus loin et je dirais que l’arrêt Murphy c. Welsh; Stoddard c.
Watson, (CSC), [1993] 2 R.C.S. 1069, [1993] A.C.S. no 83 (QL), a tranché tout débat susceptible de persister sur cette question. [par. 50] [41] Dans Lévesque et BMG Farming Inc. c. Province du Nouveau-Brunswick et Commission de l’assurance- récolte du Nouveau-Brunswick, 2011 NBCA 48, 372 R.N.-B. (2e) 202, le juge saisi de la motion a autorisé les demandeurs (les appelantsen appel) à modifier leurs exposés de la demande respectifs 1) pour ajouter une autre
partie en qualité de défendeur (la Commission) bienaprès l’expiration du délai de prescription, et 2) pour ajouter des demandes pour rupture de contrat et des demandes de restitution fondéessur le quantum meruit. [42] Au procès, la Commission a présenté des motions de non-lieu.
Le juge de première instance a conclu que ledroit des appelants d’intenter une instance pour rupture de contrat et en restitution contre la Province était éteint au moment où cesdemandes ont été ajoutées en 2006. [43] En appel, le juge en chef Drapeau a confirmé que les appelants n’auraient pas dû être autorisés à modifier leursexposés de la demande respectifs et qu’une telle ordonnance ne devrait pas être rendue lorsque, comme c’est le cas en l’espèce, lesdéfendeurs ont confirmé leur intention de plaider le délai de prescription et qu’aucun élément du dossier n’enlève aux défendeurs le droitde plaider et d’invoquer le délai de prescription (voir les par. 38 et 78).
Voir également Charest (F.) Ltée and Tessier (René) Ltée c. New Brunswick (1985), (NB BR), 60 R.N.-B. (2e) 436, [1985] A.N.-B. no 142 (QL), au par. 21, confirmé pour des motifs différents dans (1986), (NB CA), 68 R.N.-B. (2e) 268, [1986] A.N.-B. no 10 (QL) (C.A.), où le juge Creaghan arefusé d’autoriser une modification à une plaidoirie puisqu’elle aurait eu pour effet de maintenir une cause d’action restreinte par la loi. [44] En résumé, un délai de prescription est un droit substantiel. Le juge saisi de la motion n’avait pas lacompétence inhérente de le prolonger.
S’il l’avait fait, les médecins auraient été privés d’un droit substantiel, ce qui leur aurait causé unpréjudice. Une fois que le juge saisi de la motion a jugé que M. Larke n’avait pas respecté le délai de prescription, il n’était pasnécessaire de se pencher sur les règles 5.04 et 27.10. Je rejetterais ce moyen d’appel. C. Le juge saisi de la motion a-t-il commis une erreur en jugeant que le délai de prescription a commencé à courir le 13 avril 2017?
[45] Dans Grant Thornton LLP c. Nouveau-Brunswick, 2021 CSC 31, [2021] A.C.S. no 31 (QL), la Cour suprême aénoncé le critère à appliquer à l’analyse de la possibilité de découvrir les faits ayant donné naissance à une réclamation au sens de l’art. 5de la Loi : La présente affaire porte sur la norme à appliquer pour déterminer si le demandeur a le degré de connaissance requis pour découvrir lesfaits ayant donné naissance à sa réclamation au sens du par. 5(2), ce qui déclenche l’application du délai de prescription de deux ansprévu à l’al. 5(1)a).
Soit dit en tout respect, la Cour d’appel a adopté une norme trop exigeante. À mon avis, le demandeur découvre lesfaits à l’origine de sa réclamation lorsqu’il a une connaissance, réelle ou imputée, des faits importants permettant d’inférer plausiblementla responsabilité du défendeur. Il découle de cette norme qu’il n’est pas nécessaire que le demandeur connaisse tous les élémentsconstitutifs de la réclamation pour découvrir les faits y ayant donné naissance. [Je souligne; par. 3] [46] En l’espèce, le juge saisi de la motion a jugé que le délai de prescription a commencé à courir le 13 avril 2017.
C’est à cette date que M. Larke a été informé par la Dre Bouma que ses symptômes persistants étaient attribuables à une compression dela moelle épinière qui n’avait pas été diagnostiquée pendant qu’il avait été traité à l’Hôpital général. Puisque la lésion n’avait été nidiagnostiquée ni traitée, il était peu probable que M. Larke retrouve le niveau de mobilité dont il jouissait avant sa chute. [47] Le paragraphe 5(2) de la Loi est fondé sur la connaissance, réelle ou imputée, des faits. La situation d’emploides médecins n’était pas un fait que M.
Larke devait connaître ou découvrir pour que le délai de prescription de deux ans commence àcourir. Par conséquent, la thèse de M. Larke selon laquelle le délai de prescription n’a commencé à courir que lorsqu’il a été informé parson avocat que, au Nouveau-Brunswick, les médecins ne sont habituellement pas des employés des hôpitaux, est sans fondement. Laquestion de savoir si une personne est un employé en common law n’est pas un fait déterminant pour l’application de l’art. 5 de la Loi.C’est une question juridique. Dans Goyetche et autres c.
International Union of Operating Engineers et autres, 2019 NBCA 16, [2019] A.N.-B. no 36 (QL), le juge Drapeau a fait les observations suivantes : Dans leur « Appellant’s Factum », les appelants reconnaissent qu’ils savaient « qu’ils ont perdu leur emploi et leur pension en août 2005,lorsqu’ils ont été informés de la fermeture de l’usine », mais ils affirment avoir « ignoré jusqu’au mois d’août 2009 que la perte de leursprestations de retraite était imputable à la négligence de leur syndicat ».
Cet aveu est problématique car il est généralement reconnu que,si les faits essentiels sont connus, la méconnaissance du droit applicable ne retarde pas l’application des délais de prescription en raison du principe de la possibilité de découvrir le dommage : Graeme Mew, Debra Rolph et Daniel Zacks, The Law of Limitations, 3e éd.(Toronto, LexisNexis, 2016), à la p. 83, par. 3.52. Dans Nicholas c. Tétrault, (ON SC), [2008] O.J. No. 4258 (QL), confirmé dans 2009 ONCA 692, [2009] O.J.
No. 4061 (QL), autorisation d’interjeter appel refusée [2009] C.S.C.R. no 476 (QL), lejuge Perell a observé que la méconnaissance [TRADUCTION] « des conséquences juridiques des faits ne peut retarder la date à laquellele délai de prescription commence à courir » (par. 27). [par. 40] [48] Dans Nicholas c. Tétrault, (ON SC), [2008] O.J.
No. 4258 (QL), confirmé dans 2009 ONCA 692, [2009] O.J. no 4061 (QL), autorisation d’interjeter appel à la Cour suprême refusée [2009] C.S.C.R. no 476, la Cour adéclaré ce qui suit : [TRADUCTION] Le fait pour un demandeur éventuel de ne pas apprécier la portée juridique des faits ne reporte pas le point de départ du délai deprescription s’il connaît ou devrait connaître l’existence des faits déterminants, c’est-à-dire les éléments constitutifs de sa cause d’action.L’erreur de droit ou l’ignorance de la loi ou des conséquences juridiques des faits ne reporte pas le moment où commence à courir ledélai de prescription : Coutanche c.
Napoleon Delicatessen (2004), (ON CA), 72 O.R. (3d) 122 (C.A.); Caglar c.Moore, [2005] O.J. No. 4606 (C. sup. Ont.); Milbury c. Nova Scotia (Attorney General) (2007), 2007 NSCA 52 , 283 D.L.R.(4th) 449 (C.A.N.-É.); Hill c. South Alberta Land Registration District (1993), 1993 ABCA 75 , 100 D.L.R. (4th) 331(C.A. Alb.). [par. 27] [49] M. Larke invoque Lubyk c. Saskatoon District Health Board, 2003 SKQB 408, [2003] S.J.
No. 696 (QL).Comme l’indiquent les médecins dans leur mémoire, l’affaire Lubyk se distingue de la présente affaire tant par les faits que par le régimelégislatif en place en Saskatchewan. [50] Dans l’affaire Lubyk, la demanderesse avait introduit une action en négligence contre le Saskatoon District
Health Board, John Doe, Jane Doe et toutes les autres personnes physiques et morales dont elle ne connaissait pas les noms. Dans son exposé de la demande, elle a prétendu que les médecins qui l’ont traitée étaient des employés du conseil de santé et que, par conséquent, le conseil avait une responsabilité du fait d’autrui à l’égard des actes ou omissions des médecins.
La demanderesse a par la suite demandé à la Cour l’autorisation de modifier son exposé de la demande pour corriger le rapport juridique entre le conseil de santé et les médecins défendeurs éventuels, pour faire valoir que les médecins étaient des entrepreneurs indépendants et pour présenter une demande contre eux directement. Essentiellement, la demanderesse cherchait à modifier la qualité en laquelle les médecins étaient poursuivis. [51] La demanderesse s’est fondée sur l’ art. 30 de la Loi de 1998 sur la Cour du Banc de la Reine , L.S. 1998, ch.
Q-1.01 , qui est libellé ainsi : Amendment of pleadings in certain cases 30 Notwithstanding the expiry of a limitation period after the commencement of an action, a judge may allow an amendment to the pleadings that asserts a new claim or adds or substitutes parties, if: (
a) the claim asserted by the amendment, or by or against the new party, arises out of the same transaction or occurrence as the original claim; and (
b) the judge is satisfied that no party will suffer actual prejudice as a result of the amendment. Modification des plaidoiries 30 Même si le délai de prescription est écoulé depuis l’introduction de l’action, le juge peut permettre que les plaidoiries soient modifiées par adjonction d’une nouvelle demande ou par ajout ou remplacement d’une partie, si les deux conditions suivantes sont réunies :
a) la modification provient de la même cause d’action que la demande primitive;
b) le juge est convaincu que la modification ne cause pas réellement de préjudice à l’une ou l’autre des parties. [52] La Loi de 1998 sur la Cour du Banc de la Reine n’exige pas que la
partie additionnelle éventuelle ait connaissance d’une réclamation additionnelle éventuelle dans un délai précis. C’est bien différent de la
Loi sur la prescription du Nouveau-Brunswick , qui prévoit, à l’ art. 21 , qu’une réclamation peut être ajoutée malgré l’expiration du délai de prescription, si la réclamation joint un défendeur ou modifie la qualité en laquelle un défendeur est poursuivi; cependant, le défendeur doit en avoir pris suffisamment connaissance, dans les six mois qui suivent l’expiration du délai de prescription, pour ne pas subir de préjudice en la contestant sur le fond. [53] Si le législateur du Nouveau-Brunswick avait eu l’intention de permettre l’ajout de parties après l’expiration d’un délai de prescription dans le cas où un demandeur n’avait pas eu connaissance des personnes qu’il souhaitait ajouter à la réclamation dans le délai de prescription de six mois (art. 21), il l’aurait indiqué dans la Loi . [54] En outre, dans l’affaire Lubyk , les médecins étaient nommément désignés dans l’exposé de la demande comme John Doe et Jane Doe, et la Cour a déclaré qu’elle estimait que le conseil de santé aurait porté la demande à l’attention des médecins dans le délai de prescription.
M. Larke n’a pas identifié de médecins éventuels dans son exposé de la demande. [55] En l’espèce, M. Larke n’a pas présenté de preuve lors de l’audition de la motion pour appuyer son argument selon lequel, jusqu’à ce que son avocat l’informe du contraire, il pensait que les médecins étaient des employés des hôpitaux. Un examen du dossier révèle que, lors de l’audience, le juge a offert à l’avocat de M. Larke la possibilité de produire cette preuve, mais que cette occasion a été refusée. [56] Je rejetterais ce moyen d’appel.
VI. Conclusion et dispositif [57] Pour les motifs qui précèdent, je rejetterais l’appel avec dépens de 2 500 $.