2020 NBCA 74, 2020 NBCA 74
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 50-20-CA LABORATORIES C.O.P. INC. APPELLANT LABORATOIRES C.O.P. INC. APPELANTE - and - - et - NEW BRUNSWICK COLLEGE OF PHARMACISTS RESPONDENT ORDRE DES PHARMACIENS DU NOUVEAU- BRUNSWICK INTIMÉ Laboratories C.O.P. Inc. v. New Brunswick College of Pharmacists, 2020 NBCA 74 CORAM: The Honourable Chief Justice Richard The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice LeBlond Laboratoires C.O.P. Inc. c.
Ordre des pharmaciens du Nouveau-Brunswick, 2020 NBCA 74 CORAM : l’honorable juge en chef Richard l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge LeBlond Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: May 21, 2020 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : le 21 mai 2020 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: 2020 NBQB 96 Décision frappée d’appel : 2020 NBBR 96 Preliminary or incidental proceedings: None Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : aucune Appeal heard: September 23, 2020 Appel entendu : le 23 septembre 2020 Judgment rendered: November 26, 2020 Jugement rendu : le 26 novembre 2020
Reasons for judgment by: The Honourable Justice LeBlond Concurred in by: The Honourable Chief Justice Richard The Honourable Justice Quigg Counsel at hearing: For the Appellant: Ryan P. Burgoyne For the Respondent: G. Robert Basque, Q.C. Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge LeBlond Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge en chef Richard l’honorable juge Quigg Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appelante : Ryan P. Burgoyne Pour l’intimé : G. Robert Basque, c.r. THE COURT The appeal is dismissed. Costs are ordered payable by Laboratories C.O.P. Inc. to the College in the amount of $3,000. LA COUR L’appel est rejeté.
Laboratoires C.O.P. Inc. est condamnée à verser des dépens de 3 000 $ à l’Ordre des pharmaciens du Nouveau-Brunswick. The judgment of the Court was delivered by LEBLOND, J.A. I. Introduction [ 1 ] The New Brunswick College of Pharmacists ( “College”) is tasked with regulating the pharmaceutical profession and governing its members. Its powers, rights and privileges are derived from the New Brunswick Pharmacy Act, 2014 , S.N.B. 2014, c. 9 .
The College’s overarching objective is the protection of the public through the regulation of pharmacists. [ 2 ] Like other professional regulatory bodies, the College is empowered to exercise its authority in several ways, not all of which attract judicial review. [ 3 ] In this case, the appellant, Laboratories C.O.P.
Inc. (“LCI”), promoted the sale of a weight-loss product it had developed, known as the Ideal Protein Ketogenic Weight Loss and Management Program (the “Protocol”), through what it termed “authorized centres,” which, for the purposes of this appeal, included various pharmacies in New Brunswick. [ 4 ] In order for a pharmacy to become an “authorized centre” permitted to sell the products associated with the
Protocol, the pharmacist must provide monitoring and consulting services to customers who follow the Protocol’s program. The monitoring/ consulting component of the Protocol raised concerns with the College because it could mean its members were engaging in activities they were not qualified to practice.
In particular, the New Brunswick Association of Dietitians had expressed concerns pharmacists were practising dietetics, a field exclusively reserved for dietitians registered under the Dietitians Act , S.N.B. 1988, c. 75 . [ 5 ] The College’s response to address the situation was to issue a “Statement”, the salient portions of which are reproduced in para. 16 below.
The College asserts the purpose of the Statement was to remind pharmacists of their legal and ethical obligations towards the public, and to urge them to “stay in their lane” by confining their professional activities to the areas permitted by legislation, regulation and policy and in keeping with their prescribed standards of practice and Code of Ethics as defined in the Pharmacy Act and adopted by the College. [ 6 ] LCI takes the position that the “Statement” is either a “decision” or a disguised “regulation”, not properly enacted, and therefore invalid.
It asserts it has the effect of changing the scope of practice of pharmacists. It argues the Pharmacy Act authorizes pharmacists to perform the services required of them within the Protocol, that is to monitor and consult with individuals following the program, and further argues the “Statement” has the effect of restricting their legislated permissible scope of practice, which can only be done with a properly enacted regulation. [ 7 ] There is no issue with respect to the right of pharmacists to sell LCI’s products in their pharmacies.
There is also no issue with the right of pharmacists to provide general health and wellness advice with respect to the Protocol’s products, in much the same way as they may do with any other over-the-counter product sold in their pharmacies. [ 8 ] The core issue for the College is ensuring pharmacists do not engage in the science of dietetics and nutrition with respect to monitoring and counselling individuals who use the Protocol. [ 9 ] The application judge found LCI had a “ sufficient basis” to seek judicial review, although he dismissed the application as a result of his determination that the College had acted within its mandate in issuing the Statement. [ 10 ] LCI appeals the dismissal of its application.
The College cross-appeals the issue relating to LCI’s “standing ”. As a point of practice, this is not a valid cross-appeal. As indicated above, the application judge, as part of the narrative in his reasons, merely expressed satisfaction LCI had “a sufficient basis” to seek judicial review. In his disposition of the application, there is no order relating to standing. The College should have filed a Notice of Contention under Rule 62.08(
a) of the Rules of Court if it wished to argue the application judge’s decision could be affirmed on the basis LCI did not have standing to bring the application in the first place. The following reasons deal with the issue of standing on that basis to the extent this appeal gives the Court an opportunity not only to address the issue of standing in the judicial review process, but also to clarify how a profession’s regulator can fulfil its mandate without attracting judicial review.
The failure to have filed a Notice of Contention does not change the Court’s disposition of this appeal. [ 11 ] For the reasons set out below, I would dismiss the appeal with costs in the amount of $3,000 payable by LCI to the College. II. Factual Context [ 12 ] LCI asserts the Protocol is a medically developed weight-loss program that includes the sale of food and supplements through authorized centres, including pharmacies , in New Brunswick. All nutritional and dietary advice is provided by the Protocol itself.
Pharmacists authorized to operate as Protocol centres are initially required to meet with customers to assist with the completion of a printed health profile provided by LCI. The pharmacists are required from then on to monitor the customers by meeting with them at regular intervals to assess their progress and address such issues as compliance behaviour. The evidence is not detailed as to what monitoring specifically involves.
It does, however, disclose some information regarding the training LCI provides to pharmacists leading to their certification as “authorized centres.” [ 13 ] The training consists of a Web-based modular program with limited in- person sessions with representatives of LCI’s medical advisory board and account consultants. However, according to the factual portion of LCI’s written submission to the Court, not all pharmacists who operate authorized centres are trained under the Protocol.
While LCI did tender evidence of the studies and clinical trial results relating to the Protocol, the College countered with evidence establishing that the science of dietetics and nutrition is a specialized field, requiring several years of study and rigorous skills development, all of which is outside the scope of
practicing pharmacy. The evidence, simply stated, is that pharmacists are not trained in sufficient depth in matters of nutrition to competently assess nutritional needs and provide monitoring on nutrition and weight-loss beyond general basic advice. [ 14 ] The College’s main concern, therefore, stems from the fact that individuals about to embark on the Protocol are not assessed for their nutritional needs nor are individual nutritional care plans developed for each of them based on proper assessments.
LCI says there is no need for this as the Protocol is a “one size fits all.” I will have more to say on this later in these reasons. [ 15 ] The fields of nutritional assessments and care plans are clearly reserved for the expertise of dietitians.
This adds to the concerns of the College that, under the Protocol, by providing monitoring services, pharmacists are lending a strong sense of legitimacy to the advertised benefits of the program without the involvement of dietitians as to the appropriateness of the Protocol for any given individual, again, notwithstanding LCI’s assertion the Protocol is a “standardized” approach to weight-loss. [ 16 ] As a result of its concerns, the College issued a Statement to its members on September 13, 2018, the salient portions of which read as follow: Nutritional Counselling by Pharmacy Professionals September 13, 2018 […] The effectiveness of the majority of weight-loss products has not been scientifically proven.
Pharmacists’ direct or indirect involvement in supporting and promoting these products and programs lends a certain legitimacy to them from the consumers’ perspective–something the products may not have earned through the scientific process. The provision of these products or services within the context of the pharmacy environment may lead the patient to assume the pharmacist has an appropriate level of expertise related to the service and to the associated information that is provided.
As a health care professional, it is imperative that a pharmacist’s practice be scientifically sound and ethically uncompromising. The provision of general health and wellness information, including “healthy eating” advice, falls within a pharmacist’s area of competence. Counselling on micro-nutrient supplementation (vitamins and minerals) also falls within a pharmacist’s clinical ability. Dietetics and nutrition, however, is a specialized field requiring several years of study (usually four or more) and rigorous skill development towards the acquisition of a bachelor’s degree.
Not unlike pharmacy, this field of study requires well-defined competencies in order to be licensed as a professional. Pharmacy curricula [do] not cover nutrition in sufficient depth to provide pharmacists with the competencies needed to assess, coach, consult, recommend or treat on nutrition and weight loss beyond the general advice provided for above. Pharmacists involved in these activities are therefore practising not only beyond the limits of their competence and clinical ability, but outside of a pharmacist’s authorized scope of practice.
Likewise, allowing or supervising the activities listed above by a non-regulated person is no more acceptable than a pharmacist conducting them directly. Beyond the competence issue, the New Brunswick College of Pharmacists (the College) has significant concerns with the ethical implications of members’ involvement in curr e nt nutrition and dietary programs being promoted and executed in New Brunswick pharmacies. The ethical flaw reveals itself when: 1. A professional is conducting assessments they are not qualified to conduct (Dietetics and Nutrition); 2.
The professional then makes patient recommendations that unfailingly lead to the same treatment recomm e ndation for most patients (in this case, a non-evidence-based treatment to which the professional lends credibility to from mere involvement): 3. There is a resulting financial profit for the professional when the patients follow the recommendation and participate in said treatment. The Model Standards of Practice for Canadian Pharmacists provide further weight for professionals to reconsider their actions, beyond general advice, where nutrition and weight loss are in play.
When pharmacists engage in the practice of assessing, coaching, consulting, recommending or treating on nutrition and weight loss beyond general advice, there is a real breach of several professional standards including:
1.4 on recognizing the limits of your competence; 1.5 on using evidence from relevant sources (unbiased and scientific); 1.6 on critically evaluating information; 1.24 on recommending evidence-based self-care measures; 4.2 on demonstrating personal and professional integrity; and, 4.7 on maintaining patients’ best interest as the core of all activities. Members are obliged to adhere to legislation including the Pharmacy Act , Regulations, policies, Standards of Practice and the Code of Ethics adopted by the College. These should be reviewed regularly.
Members are reminded to practice within their regulated scope and clinical ability and apply evidence in their practice . https://www.canada.ca/en/health-Canada/services/drugs-medical-devices/safe-use-health-products-weight-loss.html Association pour la santé publique du Québec, La face cachée et l’imposture des produits, services et moyens amaigrissants This information has been confirmed to be valid for Dalhousie University College of Pharmacy. [ 17 ] Finally, LCI led evidence, which was largely hearsay and speculative, that, following the release of the Statement, sales of the Protocol in New Brunswick declined significantly.
III. Grounds of Appeal [ 18 ] LCI raises two grounds of appeal: 1) the application judge erred in law or mixed fact and law by deciding the Statement was not a “decision” subject to judicial review; and 2) the judge erred in law or mixed fact and law by failing to find the Statement was ultra vires the powers of the College with reference to ss. 22 and 49 of the Pharmacy Act on the issue of scope of practice. IV. Standard of Review [ 19 ] The Supreme Court’s decision in Canada (Minister of Citizenship and Immigration) v. Vavilov , 2019 SCC 65 , [2019] S.C.J.
No. 65 (QL) , has made it clear that, when reviewing decisions of administrative bodies, the standard of review will almost invariably be reasonableness. However, the Vavilov presumption of reasonableness applies to substantive review and not to the review of preliminary issues. When a court of first instance is deciding preliminary issues unrelated to the review of the administrative decision itself, the appellate standards apply to any appeal on those issues, and, as I explain below, the standard of review in this case must be correctness (see Wilson v.
Atomic Energy of Canada Limited , 2015 FCA 17 , [2015] F.C.J. No. 44 (QL) at paras. 25-26 ; Budlakoti v. Canada (Citizenship and Immigration) , 2015 FCA 139 , [2015] F.C.J. No. 697 (QL) at para. 37 ). [ 20 ] Rennie J.A. made the following observations in the recent Federal Court of Appeal decision of Democracy Watch v. Canada (Attorney General) , 2020 FCA 69 , [2020] F.C.J. No. 498 (QL) : As in all judicial review applications, the Court must first decide whether the decision sought to be set aside is subject to judicial review. Not all administrative action gives rise to a right of review.
There are many circumstances where an administrative body's conduct
will not trigger a right to judicial review. Some decisions are simply not justiciable, crossing the boundary from the legal to the political . Others may be justiciable but there may be an adequate alternative remedy. No right of review arises where the conduct attacked fails to affect rights, impose legal obligations, or cause prejudicial effects ( Sganos v. Canada (Attorney General) , 2018 FCA 84 at para. 6 ; Air Canada v. Toronto Port Authority Et Al , 2011 FCA 347 , [2013] 3 F.C.R. 605 at para. 29 ; Irving Shipbuilding Inc. v.
Canada (Attorney General) , 2009 FCA 116 , [2010] 2 F.C.R. 488; and Democracy Watch 2009, referred to above). [para. 19] [Emphasis added.] [ 21 ] The appellant’s first ground of appeal identifies the salient issue: whether the Statement was a “decision” amenable to judicial review. The second ground is whether the decision, if one exists, was the product of an improperly enacted regulation and is therefore ultra vires. This second ground would normally trigger the reasonableness standard; however, this issue is subsumed into the first ground of appeal.
The enactment of a regulation is, in effect, a reviewable “decision” (see West Fraser Mills Ltd. v. British Columbia (Workers’ Compensation Appeal Tribunal) , 2018 SCC 22 , [2018] 1 S.C.R. 635 , at para. 23 ); however, if there was no “decision”, then there is nothing to judicially review. This Court dealt with a similar question in Hall v. Province of New Brunswick, 2015 NBCA 71 , 443 N.B.R. (2d) 197 , and again in Miramichi Lumber Products Inc. et al. v. Province of New Brunswick, as represented by the Department of Energy and Resource Development et al., 2019 NBCA 61 , [2019] N.B.J. No. 202 (QL) .
In both cases, the question before the Court was when , not whether , an administrative decision was made ( Hall at para. 6 ; Miramichi at para. 11) and the judgments turned on findings of fact made by the judges below. These are two different questions; the application judge’s finding on when a decision is made is “[o]bviously…a finding of fact” ( Hall at para. 6 ).
However, the question of whether administrative action has binding legal effect, or “contains a fresh exercise of discretion or decision-making authority” ( Miramichi at para. 21), is necessarily a question of law. [ 22 ] Thus, according to the well-established distinctions articulated by the Supreme Court in Housen v. Nikolaisen, 2002 SCC 33 , [2002] 2 S.C.R. 235 , determining whether the Statement was a “decision” is a question of law that attracts the standard of correctness. V. Analysis [ 23 ] I begin the analysis with a discussion of LCI’s two grounds of appeal.
In my view, the Statement is no more than a guideline issued by the College to its members, which purports to reflect the College’s
interpretation of the existing provisions of the Pharmacy Act that deal with the parameters of the scope of practice. I will follow with a separate discussion on standing. A. Was the Statement a decision or an improperly enacted regulation dealing with the scope of practice of pharmacists? [ 24 ] The characterization of the Statement requires a review of the relevant provisions of the Pharmacy Act , its General Regulation and the Dietitians Act . The emphasis from the sections referred to is my own throughout.
If the Statement does change the scope of practice, then it could be seen as an improperly enacted regulation, which would be subject to judicial review. [ 25 ] As earlier noted, LCI pegs the thrust of its position on a broad
interpretation of s. 49 of the Pharmacy Act to argue pharmacists are permitted to engage, as part of their scope of practice, in weight-loss monitoring. As I more fully discuss below, this area is reserved for the exclusive domain of dietitians under the Dietitians Act . The respective scopes of practice contained in the two Acts must be interpreted to permit their co-existence so as not to conflict with each other. [ 26 ] Section 49(1) of the Pharmacy Act states the practice of pharmacy is to promote health “[…] through proper drug and non-drug therapy .” [ 27 ] Section 49(2)(
a) provides pharmacists may assist and advise clients by contributing unique drug and non-drug therapy knowledge on drug and non-drug therapy selection and use . [ 28 ] I interpret this provision, when applied to the facts of this case, to mean that, while there can be no dispute with respect to the sale of the Protocol’s components (non-drug therapy selection and use), and indeed there is no such dispute, this
section of the Pharmacy Act makes no mention of monitoring. Advising on selection and use of products does not include monitoring.
[ 29 ] My
interpretation of s. 49(2)(
a) is strengthened by s. 49(2)(b), which states that pharmacists may monitor responses and outcomes to drug therapy only. Significantly, there is no mention of the ability to monitor non-drug therapies. I would go further and say such a practice is specifically excluded under s. 49(2)(
b) when read with s. 49(2)(a). As a result, this runs contra to LCI’s position that the monitoring requested of pharmacists with respect to the Protocol is part of the scope of practice set out in s. 49(2)(a). [ 30 ] Section 49(2)(
d) states pharmacists may provide parenteral nutrition, health care aids and devices . Again, this is entirely consistent with the sale of the Protocol products in this case. [ 31 ] Section 49(2)(
i) allows pharmacists to “advise and support other pharmacists in the provision of pharmacy services.” This reflects, in part, the ability of a pharmacist with particular expertise within his/her scope of practice to assist another with little or no such expertise. Accordingly, the scope of practice among pharmacists will vary. However, this
section would not cover advising or monitoring to support manufacturers of non-drug therapies such as LCI’s Protocol. [ 32 ]
Section 50 of the Pharmacy Act deals with five other specific areas within which pharmacists may practice. To paraphrase, they may: 1) prescribe drugs, treatments and devices designated for the purpose of this
section ; 2) administer drugs and treatment designated in the Regulation ; 3) interpret client-administered tests designated in the Regulation ; 4) order and receive reports of screening and diagnostic tests designated in the Regulation ; and 5) administer and interpret tests that are designated in the Regulation . [ 33 ] The only regulation made under the Pharmacy Act is the General Regulation and it contains nothing which would cover the Protocol in terms of the application of s. 50. The legislator was very specific in delineating the scope within which pharmacists may practice.
It stands to reason that, where the public’s health is concerned, specificity is required. Had the legislator intended pharmacists to be able to involve themselves in the monitoring of non-drug therapies such as the Protocol, it would have said so, particularly in s. 49(2)(b). It specifically chose not to do that. [ 34 ] Moreover, there are other provisions in the General Regulation that support the above
interpretation. For instance, s. 6.4(
b) covers conflicts of interest. It provides a pharmacist places him/herself in a conflict situation “where the pharmacy […] enters into an arrangement or agreement which a reasonable person knowing the relevant facts would conclude or perceive would likely have the effect of adversely influencing the exercise of a member’s professional judgment or influencing or impeding a member’s ability to engage in the practice of pharmacy in an ethical manner or in accordance with the Standards of Practice.” These Standards are set out in
Part XVIII of the General Regulation. I would consider it to be well within a reasonable person’s perception to conclude that in this case, LCI’s best interests lie in allying itself with pharmacists to assist with the marketing of the Protocol by leading customers to believe they can rely on the professional credentials of pharmacists in choosing to follow the Protocol’s program. This is part of what the College seeks to avoid and what s. 6.4(
b) of the Regulation targets as conduct to be avoided in order to protect the public interest. [ 35 ] A final note on the General Regulation.
Part XIX deals with advertising and marketing relating to the provision of pharmacy services or the practice of “pharmacy” as defined in s. 1 of the Pharmacy Act . Any such advertising is subject to restrictions, which include it: 1) must not be ambiguous or confusing; and 2) cannot contain any testimonial or comparative statements or endorsements.
There is evidence before the Court to show some pharmacists crossed that line and would be in violation of this provision. [36] LCI argues s. 52(1) of the Pharmacy Act permits overlaps with the practices of other health professionals. Thatsection simply states nothing in that Act or the regulations can prevent a “health professional,” a term separately defined in that Act fromthe definition of “pharmacist,” from practising within that health professional’s field of practice. For the purposes of this appeal, thatsection has to be read harmoniously with s. 40 of the Dietitians Act, the counterpart to s. 52(1) of the Pharmacy Act.
Section 40 statesnothing in the Dietitians Act applies to prevent the practice of, among several professions, the profession of a pharmacist by a personregistered under the Pharmacy Act. These provisions do not support an argument in favour of overlapping professional activity.
Granted,the two professions may have some general commonality between them, but these provisions make clear that each profession mustoperate within the boundaries of their respective scopes of practice as defined in each profession’s enabling legislation and not beyond.There cannot be overlap among the professions unless specifically legislated.
Certainly, with respect to this appeal, nothing permits apharmacist to practise dietetics. [37] The Dietitians Act defines a dietitian as a professional registered under that Act “[…] who specializes inrelating the art and science of food and nutrition to health […].” The term “practice of dietetics,” defined in s. 1, means the translationand application of scientific knowledge of foods and human nutrition toward the attainment, maintenance and promotion of health.
Itincludes the assessment of the nutritional needs of individuals and developing and implementing nutritional care plans based on thoseassessments (see paragraph (
b) within the definition of “practice of dietetics”). [38] One can therefore well understand the confusion that would arise in the public’s mind in dealing withpharmacists acting as monitors of the Protocol and holding themselves out as providing one-on-one consultations and personalizedcoaching in relation to the action plan and its development where the Protocol is supposed to be a “one size fits all.” This clearly fallswithin the jurisdiction of dietitians. [39] None of the language contained in the Pharmacy Act deals with the practice of dietetics and, on any mode ofstatutory
interpretation, LCI’s position does not withstand scrutiny. [40] I therefore turn to the proper characterization of the College’s Statement. Given the legislative framework Ihave summarized above, there is no need to further discuss the specifics of the scope of practice of pharmacists beyond what is statedabove. Pharmacists will have different and widely varying scopes of practice depending upon the contexts in which they exercise theirprofession. Regardless of what those contexts might be, it suffices for our purposes to simply state that no pharmacist can engage in thepractice of dietetics.
That is all the College’s Statement intended to, and in fact did, communicate to its members. [41] LCI argues the College’s Statement was a disguised and improperly enacted regulation that changed the scopeof practice of pharmacists. With respect, I disagree and am in complete agreement with the application judge’s finding on this issue,which supplements my analysis above.
The Statement was nothing more than a reminder or guideline confirming the existing scope ofpractice coupled with a warning not to stray into areas reserved for the expertise and training of other health care professionals. [42] Professional bodies charged with administrative and regulatory duties over their members are entitled to issuesuch statements without express statutory authority and without attracting judicial review. In Ainsley Financial Corp. v. OntarioSecurities Commission, (ON CA), [1994] O.J.
No. 2966 (C.A.) (QL), the Ontario Court of Appeal dealt with theauthority of a regulator to issue statements or guidelines intended to inform and guide those entities subject to its authority. The principleapplied in that case with respect to the Ontario Securities Commission equally applies to any self-governing profession, including theCollege, whose statutorily created body is given regulatory authority over its members.
Doherty J.A., writing for the court, stated: […] The jurisprudence clearly recognizes that regulators may, as a matter of sound administrative practice, and without any specificstatutory authority for doing so, issue guidelines and other non-binding instruments: Hopedale Developments Ltd. v. Oakville (Town), (ON CA), [1965] 1 O.R. 259 at p. 263, 47 D.L.R. (2d) 482 (C.A.); Maple Lodge Farms Ltd. v. Canada, (CSC), [1982] 2 S.C.R. 2 at pp. 6-7, 137 D.L.R. (3d) 558; Capital Cities Communications Inc. v.
Canadian Radio-Television &Telecommunications Commission, (CSC), [1978] 2 S.C.R. 141 at p. 170, 81 D.L.R. (3d) 609 at p. 629; Friends ofOldman River Society v. Canada (Minister of Transport), (CSC), [1992] 1 S.C.R. 3 at p. 35, 88 D.L.R. (4th) 1; Pezim,supra, at p. 596; Law Reform Commission of Canada, Report 26, Report on Independent Administrative Agencies: Framework forDecision Making (1985), at pp. 29-31. Non-statutory instruments, like guidelines, are not necessarily issued pursuant to any statutory grant of the power to issue suchinstruments.
Rather, they are an administrative tool available to the regulator so that it can exercise its statutory authority and fulfil its
regulatory mandate in a fairer, more open and more efficient manner. While there may be considerable merit in providing for resort tonon-statutory instruments in the regulator's enabling statute, such a provision is not a prerequisite for the use of those instruments by theregulator. […] There is no bright line which always separates a guideline from a mandatory provision having the effect of law. At the centre of theregulatory continuum one shades into the other. Nor is the language of the particular instrument determinative.
There is no magic to theuse of the word “guideline”, just as no definitive conclusion can be drawn from the use of the word “regulate”. An examination of thelanguage of the instrument is but a part, albeit an important part, of the characterization process. In analyzing the [language] of theinstrument, the focus must be on the thrust of the language considered in its entirety and not on isolated words or passages. [paras. 11-12and 16] [Emphasis added.] [43] The College’s Statement falls squarely within the above principle.
The application judge correctly found theStatement is nothing more than a reminder or guideline. I would therefore dismiss LCI’s two grounds of appeal. The Statement is neithera decision nor, by necessary implication, an invalidly enacted regulation. B. LCI’s standing to apply for judicial review [44] On an application for judicial review under Rule 69 of the Rules of Court, either standing is derived from theenabling statute or it arises from a private or public interest. Public interest standing was not sought in this case; it would not have beenavailable in any event. In Finlay v.
Canada (Minister of Finance), (CSC), [1986] 2 S.C.R. 607, [1986] S.C.J. No. 73(QL), the Supreme Court adopted the dissenting opinion expressed in Minister of Justice (Can.) v. Borowski, (CSC),[1981] 2 S.C.R. 575, [1981] S.C.J.
No. 103 (QL), by Laskin, C.J., who had thus stated the general rule on standing: […] “Unless the legislation itself provides for a challenge to its meaning or application or validity by any citizen or taxpayer, theprevailing policy is that a challenger must show some special interest in the operation of the legislation beyond the general interest that iscommon to all members of the relevant society.” [para. 19] [Emphasis added.] [45] The above passage was cited with approval by our Court in Law Society of New Brunswick v. FCT InsuranceCompany, 2009 NBCA 22, [2009] N.B.J.
No. 122 (QL), at para. 31, a decision LCI heavily relies upon to assert it had standing to bringthe underlying application. With respect, FCT is clearly distinguishable from the case before us. FCT involved the right of a title insurerto carry on its business in the face of practice standards enacted by the Law Society which significantly restricted the title insurer’s rightto carry on its business.
LCI’s position stands in stark contrast and is clearly distinguishable from the title insurer’s position in FCT.There is nothing about the Statement which in any way restricts LCI’s right to sell and promote its Protocol. The Statement simplyreminds pharmacists not to engage in activities that are outside their scope of practice. [46] The other distinction with FCT is that standing in that case was confirmed by our Court within the context ofan action which sought the private interest remedy of a declaration the Law Society’s disputed regulation was ultra vires.
That context iscompletely different from the public law context which an application for judicial review under Rule 69 seeks to address, which is theavenue LCI chose to follow. In that respect, the law in New Brunswick differs from the law of other provinces as well as federally wheredeclarations of this nature are captured by the equivalent of our Rule 69. [47] LCI asserts it has a special economic interest at stake, giving it standing.
Even if that were so, without decidingit is, that interest does not entitle LCI to claim redress against a professional body whose members are not qualified to provide theservices it seeks. In order to determine if a party has a private interest standing, four elements should be considered: 1) statutory purpose; 2) subject matter of the proceeding; 3) the party’s interest in the subject; and 4) the effect the “decision” may have on the interest at stake.
See Canadian Elevator Industry Education Program v. Nova Scotia (Elevators and Lifts) , 2016 NSCA 80 , [2016] N.S.J. No. 435 (QL) at para. 42 .
(1) Statutory purpose [ 48 ] Any alleged special interest standing of LCI to challenge the Statement runs contra to the objects and purposes of the regime established by the Pharmacy Act , the overarching objective of which is the protection of the public. To that end, the College is empowered by the Pharmacy Act with several options to regulate its members in furtherance of this purpose. These options include: regulations, practice directives, and, what the College decided to issue in this case, non-binding statements.
It would create an entirely unworkable legislative model if the College was beholden to the interests of for-profit companies, which have no legal interest in the regulation of pharmacists by the College. The effect of granting standing would be, in effect, to say that there is a connection between the statutory purpose of protecting the public, and the economic interests of LCI. I cannot endorse that outcome.
(2) Subject matter of the proceeding [ 49 ] Again, there is no “proceeding” in play here. The Statement is solely directed to pharmacists as a reminder for them to “stay in their lane.” It is noteworthy none of them have sought to challenge it. [ 50 ] If LCI has a potential remedy, it cannot arise from the public law forum of judicial review and administrative law generally. It may be available in the private law forum. The Court was advised that LCI has commenced a parallel action against the College, which is still pending.
I express no view as to its potential merit. [ 51 ] The public law remedy of judicial review is not available to LCI to challenge the Statement. By issuing it, the College was not exercising a power or duty of a public nature (see Port of Dalhousie Inc. v. Maltais , 2011 NBCA 84 , 377 N.B.R. (2d) 312 , and the jurisprudence referred to therein).
(3) Interest in the subject [ 52 ] The important point to make under this heading is that LCI has no direct interest in the Statement. The latter concerns pharmacists and their general scope of practice. It does not prevent LCI from selling its Protocol products in pharmacies. LCI is not subject to the regulatory regime which governs pharmacists. As a matter of general policy, courts should not decide issues in the absence of parties whose rights are clearly and directly affected.
Sarah Blake in Administrative Law in Canada , 6 th ed. (Toronto: LexisNexis Canada, 2017) reiterates the point that “the issues raised must concern the applicant’s legal interests. A party has no standing to argue that the tribunal decision affects the rights of another person.” (p. 205) This is, in effect, what LCI seeks to do. Irrespective of the argument that LCI may have suffered incidental economic losses arising from the Statement, no pharmacist was a party to the underlying proceeding.
Accordingly, LCI is not the appropriate party to seek judicial review in this instance (see Alberta Liquor Store Association v. Alberta (Gaming and Liquor Commission) , 2006 ABQB 904 , [2006] A.J. No. 1597 (QL) ). [ 53 ] Even if LCI were targeted by the Statement, as found by the application judge, and even if LCI’s special interest could be characterized as being of a commercial nature, that is not a “legally protected concrete and particularized interest […]” giving rise to a public remedy such as judicial review (see Adams Estate v. Wilson , 2020 SKCA 38 , [2020] S.J.
No. 101 (QL), at para. 66 , leave to appeal refused, [2020] S.C.C.A. No. 181 ). LCI cannot use judicial review as an avenue to protect interests that are strictly of a commercial nature (see Island Timberlands LP v. Canada (Minister of Foreign Affairs), 2009 FCA 353 , [2009] F.C.J. No. 1563 (QL) at para. 7 and the jurisprudence cited therein).
(4) Effect of the Statement on the Appellant’s interest [ 54 ] Nothing of significance can be addressed under this heading that has not already been stated. LCI’s case is focused on alleged diminished sales of the Protocol, which it attributes to the impact caused by the Statement. As noted, this does not give rise to standing.
[ 55 ] As a result, I conclude LCI had no standing to bring a judicial review application. VI. Disposition [ 56 ] I would dismiss the appeal with costs in the amount of $3,000 payable by LCI. Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par LE JUGE LEBLOND I. Introduction [1] L’Ordre des pharmaciens du Nouveau-Brunswick (l’Ordre) a pour tâche de réglementer la profession de pharmacien et de régir ses membres. Ses pouvoirs, ses droits et ses privilèges lui sont conférés par la Loi de 2014 sur les pharmaciens du Nouveau-Brunswick , L.N.-B. 2014, ch. 9 (
Loi sur les pharmaciens ) . L’objectif primordial de l’Ordre est la protection du public par la réglementation des pharmaciens. [2] Comme c’est le cas d’autres organismes de réglementation professionnelle, l’Ordre est habilité à exercer son autorité de plusieurs manières, dont certaines ne peuvent pas faire l’objet d’un recours en révision judiciaire. [3] En l’espèce, l’appelante, Laboratoires C.O.P.
Inc. (LCI), a encouragé la vente d’un produit amaigrissant qu’elle avait mis au point, appelé Ideal Protein Ketogenic Weight Loss and Management Program (le protocole), par l’entremise de ce qu’elle a nommé des « centres autorisés », centres qui, pour les besoins du présent appel, comprenaient diverses pharmacies du Nouveau-Brunswick. [4] Pour qu’une pharmacie devienne un « centre autorisé » à qui il est permis de vendre les produits liés au protocole, le pharmacien doit offrir des services de suivi et de consultation aux clients qui suivent le programme du protocole.
Le volet suivi/consultation du protocole a soulevé des préoccupations pour l’Ordre parce qu’il pouvait signifier que ses membres se livraient à des activités qu’ils n’étaient pas qualifiés pour exercer. En particulier, l’Association des diététistes du Nouveau-Brunswick s’était dite préoccupée que les pharmaciens exercent la diététique, un domaine réservé exclusivement aux diététistes immatriculés sous le régime de la
Loi sur les diététistes , L.N.-B. 1988, ch. 75. [5] La réponse de l’Ordre en vue de régler la situation a été de publier une « déclaration », dont les passages pertinents sont reproduits ci-dessous, au par. 16. L’Ordre affirme que la déclaration avait pour objectif de rappeler aux pharmaciens les obligations juridiques et déontologiques qu’ils ont envers le public, et de les exhorter à [TRADUCTION] « s’en tenir à leur domaine » en limitant leurs activités professionnelles aux domaines permis par une loi, un règlement ou une politique, et dans le respect des normes d’exercice et du Code de déontologie au sens de ces termes définis dans la
Loi sur les pharmaciens et adoptés par l’Ordre . [6] LCI prend la position que la « déclaration » est une « décision » ou un « règlement » déguisé qui n’a pas été régulièrement adopté et qui est donc invalide. Elle affirme qu’elle a pour effet de modifier le champ d’exercice des pharmaciens. Elle soutient que la
Loi sur les pharmaciens autorise les pharmaciens à effectuer les services que le protocole exige qu’ils effectuent, c’est-à- dire des services de suivi et de consultation auprès des personnes qui suivent le programme. Elle soutient de plus que la « déclaration » a pour effet de limiter le champ d’exercice qui est permis aux pharmaciens par la loi, ce qui ne peut être fait que par un règlement régulièrement adopté.
[7] Le droit des pharmaciens de vendre les produits de LCI dans leurs pharmacies n’est pas en litige.
Il n’y a aucun litige non plus quant au droit des pharmaciens de fournir des conseils généraux en matière de santé et de bien-être relativement aux produits du protocole, à peu près de la même manière qu’ils en fourniraient au sujet d’autres produits en vente libre à leurs pharmacies. [8] Le problème principal pour l’Ordre est celui de veiller à ce que les pharmaciens ne se livrent pas à la science de la diététique et de la nutrition en ce qui concerne la prestation de services de suivi et de consultation aux personnes qui se servent du protocole. [9] Le juge saisi de la requête a conclu que LCI avait un [TRADUCTION] « motif suffisant » pour demander une révision judiciaire, mais il a rejeté la requête après avoir conclu que l’Ordre, en publiant la déclaration, avait agi dans les limites de son mandat . [10] LCI interjette appel du rejet de sa requête.
L’Ordre forme un appel reconventionnel sur la question de la [TRADUCTION] « qualité pour agir » de LCI, mais, q uestion de pratique, il ne s’agit pas d’un appel reconventionnel valide. Comme je l’ai mentionné précédemment, le juge saisi de la requête, dans le cadre de l’exposé de ses motifs, a simplement dit être persuadé que LCI avait un [TRADUCTION] « motif suffisant » pour demander une révision judiciaire . Sa décision sur la requête ne contient aucune ordonnance portant sur la qualité pour agir .
L’Ordre aurait dû déposer un avis de désaccord en application de la règle 62.08a) des Règles de procédure s’il souhaitait faire valoir que la décision du juge saisi de la requête pouvait être confirmée pour le motif que, de toute manière, LCI n’avait pas la qualité requise pour présenter la requête.
Les motifs qui suivent portent sur la question de la qualité pour agir sur ce fondement, dans la mesure où le présent appel donne une occasion à la Cour de non seulement traiter de la question de la qualité pour agir en matière de révision judiciaire, mais aussi de clarifier comment l’organisme de réglementation d’une profession peut remplir son mandat sans que ses décisions fassent l’objet d’une révision judiciaire .
Le défaut de déposer un avis de désaccord n’a aucun effet sur la décision de la Cour dans le présent appel. [11] Pour les motifs exposés ci-après, je suis d’avis de rejeter l’appel et de condamner LCI à verser des dépens de 3 000 $ à l’Ordre . II. Contexte factuel [12] LCI affirme que le protocole est un programme d’amaigrissement élaboré de façon médicale qui comporte la vente de produits alimentaires et de suppléments par l’entremise de centres autorisés, y compris des pharmacies, au Nouveau-Brunswick. Tous les conseils en matière de nutrition et d’alimentation proviennent du protocole lui-même.
Les pharmaciens qui exploitent des centres autorisés pour les besoins du protocole doivent initialement rencontrer les clients afin de les aider à remplir un profil de santé imprimé fourni par LCI. Les pharmaciens doivent ensuite suivre les clients en les rencontrant à des intervalles réguliers afin d’évaluer leur progrès et d’aborder avec eux des problèmes tels que le respect du programme. La preuve est peu détaillée relativement à ce qui est expressément visé par les activités de suivi.
Elle renferme, cependant, des renseignements en ce qui a trait à la formation offerte par LCI aux pharmaciens qui mène à leur accréditation à
titre de « centre autorisé ». [13] La formation consiste en un programme modulaire dispensé sur le Web, qui comporte un nombre limité de séances en personne avec des représentants du conseil consultatif médical de LCI et des conseillers des comptes clients. Toutefois, selon les parties du mémoire présenté par LCI à la Cour où sont exposés les faits, ce ne sont pas tous les pharmaciens qui exploitent des centres autorisés ayant reçu la formation prévue par le protocole.
Bien que LCI ait effectivement versé des éléments de preuve au sujet des études et des résultats des essais cliniques ayant trait au protocole, l’Ordre a répondu avec des éléments de preuve établissant que la science de la diététique et de la nutrition est un domaine spécialisé, qui exige plusieurs années d’étude et un perfectionnement rigoureux des compétences, tout cela se situant en dehors du champ d’exercice des pharmaciens.
En termes simples, la preuve indique que la formation offerte aux pharmaciens n’est pas suffisamment approfondie en matière de nutrition pour qu’ils puissent évaluer les besoins nutritionnels de manière compétente et assurer un suivi relativement à la nutrition et à la perte de poids au-delà de la prestation de conseils généraux de base. [14] Par conséquent, la principale préoccupation de l’Ordre découle du fait que les besoins nutritionnels des personnes qui sont sur le point de s’engager dans le protocole ne sont pas évalués et qu’aucun plan individuel de soins nutritionnels n’est élaboré pour chacune d’elles sur le fondement d’évaluations convenables.
LCI affirme que cela n’est pas nécessaire étant donné que le protocole est un programme universel qui convient à tous. J’en dirai davantage à ce sujet plus loin dans les présents motifs. [15] Les domaines des évaluations nutritionnelles et des plans de soins nutritionnels relèvent manifestement de
l’expertise exclusive des diététistes.
Ce fait s’ajoute aux préoccupations de l’Ordre selon lesquelles, en offrant des services de suivi fondés sur le protocole, les pharmaciens confèrent une forte légitimité aux bienfaits annoncés du programme, sans que des diététistes se prononcent quant à l’opportunité du protocole pour une personne donnée, et ce, encore une fois, malgré l’assertion de LCI selon laquelle le protocole est une méthode d’amaigrissement « uniformisée ». [16] En raison de ses préoccupations, l’Ordre a diffusé une déclaration à ses membres le 13 septembre 2018, dont voici le texte des passages pertinents : [TRADUCTION] Conseils en nutrition par des pharmaciens Le 13 septembre 2018 […] L’efficacité de la majorité des produits d’amaigrissement n’a pas été scientifiquement prouvée.
La participation directe ou indirecte des pharmaciens à l’appui et à la promotion de ces produits et de ces programmes leur confère une certaine légitimité dans l’esprit des consommateurs, chose que ces produits n’ont peut-être pas méritée à la suite du processus scientifique. L’offre de ces produits ou services dans le cadre d’une pharmacie peut amener le patient à présumer que le pharmacien a le niveau d’expertise approprié concernant le service et les renseignements connexes qui sont fournis.
Il est impératif que le pharmacien, en sa qualité de professionnel des soins de santé, ait une pratique qui est scientifiquement solide et sans compromis déontologique. L’offre de renseignements généraux en matière de santé et de bien-être, y compris de conseils sur une « saine alimentation », relève du domaine de compétence d’un pharmacien. Des conseils sur les oligo-éléments supplémentaires (vitamines et minéraux) relèvent aussi de l’habileté clinique du pharmacien.
La diététique et la nutrition, toutefois, sont un domaine spécialisé qui exige plusieurs années d’étude (habituellement quatre ou plus) et un développement rigoureux des compétences en vue de l’obtention d’un baccalauréat. Un peu comme la pharmacie, ce domaine d’étude exige des compétences bien définies en vue de l’obtention d’un permis professionnel.
Les programmes d’études en pharmacie n’approfondissent pas suffisamment la nutrition pour doter les pharmaciens des compétences nécessaires pour évaluer, accompagner, donner des consultations ou des recommandations ou traiter de la nutrition et de l’amaigrissement en plus de donner les conseils généraux décrits ci-dessus. Les pharmaciens qui pratiquent ces activités exercent donc non seulement hors des limites de leur compétence et de leur habileté clinique, mais ils outrepassent même le champ d’exercice autorisé d’un pharmacien.
Pareillement, l’autorisation ou la supervision des activités énumérées ci-dessus par une personne non réglementée n’est pas plus acceptable que si un pharmacien les exerçait directement. En plus de la question de la compétence, l’Ordre des pharmaciens du Nouveau-Brunswick (l’Ordre) a de sérieuses préoccupations concernant les incidences déontologiques de la participation des membres à des programmes courants de nutrition et d’alimentation qui sont encouragés et réalisés dans les pharmacies du Nouveau-Brunswick.
Le manquement à la déontologie est évident quand : 1. un professionnel procède à des évaluations qu’il n’est pas qualifié pour effectuer (diététique et nutrition); 2. le professionnel fait ensuite des recommandations au patient qui aboutissent infailliblement à la même recommandation de traitement pour la plupart des patients (et, dans ce cas, c’est un traitement non fondé sur des données probantes, traitement que le professionnel rend crédible du simple fait qu’il y participe ); 3. le professionnel en tire ensuite un profit pécuniaire lorsque les patients suivent la recommandation et participent à ce traitement.
Les Modèles de normes de pratique des pharmaciens au Canada donnent aux professionnels des motifs additionnels de reconsidérer leurs pratiques, à
part les conseils généraux, lorsqu’il s’agit de nutrition et d’amaigrissement. Lorsque les pharmaciens se livrent à une pratique d’évaluation, d’accompagnement, de consultation, de recommandation et de traitement concernant la nutrition et l’amaigrissement qui dépasse les conseils généraux, cela constitue une réelle violation de plusieurs normes professionnelles, y compris : 1.4 la reconnaissance des limites de leurs compétences; 1.5 l’utilisation de sources pertinentes (impartiales et scientifiques); 1.6 une évaluation critique de l’information;
1.24 la recommandation d’autotraitements dont l’efficacité est éprouvée; 4.2 la preuve d’intégrité autant sur le plan personnel que professionnel; 4.7 le maintien de l’intérêt du patient, intérêt qui reste au cœur de toutes leurs activités. Les membres ont l’obligation de respecter les lois, y compris la
Loi sur les pharmaciens , les règlements, les politiques, les Normes de pratique et le Code de déontologie adoptés par l’Ordre. Ces textes devraient être consultés régulièrement.
Les membres doivent se souvenir de pratiquer dans les limites de leur champ d’exercice réglementé et de leur habileté clinique, et d’appliquer des données probantes dans leur pratique . https://www.canada.ca/fr/sante-canada/services/medicaments-et-appareils-medicaux/utilisation-securitaire-produits-sante- amaigrissants.html Association pour la santé publique du Québec, La face cachée et l’imposture des produits, services et moyens amaigrissants La validité de cette information a été confirmée par l’ordre des pharmaciens de la Dalhousie University. [17] En fin de compte, LCI a présenté des éléments de preuve composés en grande
partie de ouï-dire et de conjectures et selon lesquels les ventes du protocole au Nouveau-Brunswick ont subi une baisse importante à la suite de la diffusion de la déclaration. III. Moyens d’appel et d’appel reconventionnel [18] LCI soulève deux moyens d’appel : 1) le juge saisi de la requête a commis une erreur de droit ou une erreur mixte de fait et de droit lorsqu’il a décidé que la déclaration n’était pas une « décision » qui était susceptible de révision judiciaire; 2) le juge a commis une erreur de droit ou une erreur mixte de fait et de droit du fait qu’il n’a pas conclu que la déclaration excédait les pouvoirs dont disposait l’Ordre au regard des art. 22 et 49 de la
Loi sur les pharmaciens en ce qui concerne la question du champ d’exercice. IV. Norme de contrôle [19] La décision de la Cour suprême dans l’arrêt Canada (Ministre de la Citoyenneté et de l’Immigration) c. Vavilov , 2019 CSC 65 , [2019] A.C.S. n o 65 (QL) , indique clairement que la norme de contrôle qui s’applique aux décisions d’un organisme administratif est presque invariablement celle de la décision raisonnable. Toutefois, la présomption de raisonnabilité établie dans l’arrêt Vavilov s’applique aux contrôles judiciaires sur le fond et non à ceux portant sur des questions préliminaires.
Lorsqu’un tribunal de première instance statue sur des questions préliminaires n’ayant aucun rapport avec le contrôle de la décision de l’organisme administratif elle-même, tout appel de ces questions doit être tranché selon les normes applicables en appel et, comme je l’expliquerai ci- dessous, la norme de contrôle en l’espèce doit être celle de la décision correcte (voir Wilson c. Énergie atomique du Canada limitée , 2015 CAF 17 , [2015] A.C.F. n o 44 (QL) , par. 25 et 26 ; Budlakoti c.
Canada (Citoyenneté et Immigration) , 2015 CAF 139 , [2015] A.C.F. n o 697 (QL) , par. 37 ). [20] Le juge d’appel Rennie a fait les observations suivantes dans la récente décision de la Cour d’appel fédérale Canada (Attorney General) c. Democracy Watch , 2020 CAF 69 , [2020] A.C.F. n o 498 (QL) :
[TRADUCTION] Comme c’est le cas dans toutes les demandes de contrôle judiciaire, la Cour doit d’abord décider si la décision dont on demande l’annulation est susceptible de contrôle judiciaire. Ce ne sont pas toutes les mesures administratives qui ouvrent droit à un recours en révision judiciaire. Il existe de nombreuses circonstances dans lesquelles la conduite d’un organisme administratif ne donnera pas naissance au droit de demander un contrôle judiciaire. Certaines décisions ne relèvent tout simplement pas de la compétence des tribunaux judiciaires et franchissent la limite entre le juridique et le politique.
D’autres peuvent relever de leur compétence, mais il se peut qu’il existe un autre recours qui convienne. Aucun droit au contrôle ne prend naissance lorsque la conduite contestée n’a aucune incidence sur des droits, n’impose aucune obligation juridique ou ne cause aucun préjudice ( Sganos c. Canada (Procureur général) , 2018 CAF 84 , au par. 6 ; Air Canada c. Administration portuaire de Toronto et al. , 2011 CAF 347 , [2013] 3 R.C.F. 605, au par. 29 ; Irving Shipbuilding Inc. c.
Canada (Procureur général) , 2009 CAF 116 , [2010] 2 R.C.F. 488; et Démocratie en surveillance 2009 , précité). [par. 19] [Je souligne.] [21] Le premier moyen d’appel de l’appelante cerne la question importante en l’espèce : celle de savoir si la déclaration était une « décision » se prêtant à une révision judiciaire. Le second moyen d’appel porte sur la question de savoir si la décision, le cas échéant, était le résultat d’un règlement irrégulièrement adopté et, par conséquent, ultra vires . Ce second moyen entraînerait normalement l’application de la norme de la décision raisonnable.
Toutefois, cette question est subsumée sous le premier moyen d’appel. L’adoption d’un règlement est, en effet, une « décision » susceptible de révision ( voir West Fraser Mills Ltd. c. Colombie-Britannique (Workers’ Compensation Appeal Tribunal) , 2018 CSC 22 , [2018] 1 R.C.S. 635 , par. 23 ). Toutefois, s’il n’y a aucune « décision », rien ne peut faire l’objet d’un contrôle judiciaire. Notre Cour s’est penchée sur une question analogue dans l’arrêt Hall c. Province du Nouveau-Brunswick , 2015 NBCA 71 , 443 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 197 , et, encore, dans l’arrêt Miramichi Lumber Products Inc. et autres c.
Province du Nouveau-Brunswick, représentée par le Ministère du développement de l’énergie et des ressources et autres , 2019 NBCA 61 , [2019] A.N.-B. n o 202 (QL) . Dans ces deux affaires, la question dont était saisie la Cour était celle de savoir quand , et non si , une décision administrative avait été prise ( Hall , au par. 6 ; Miramichi , au par. 11), et les jugements ont été fondés sur des conclusions de fait dégagées par les juges des instances inférieures. Dans le cas qui nous occupe, il s’agit de deux questions différentes.
La conclusion du juge saisi de la requête relativement à la question de savoir quand la décision a été prise est « [b]ien sûr, […] une conclusion de fait » ( Hall , au par. 6 ). Toutefois, celle de savoir si une décision administrative a un effet juridique obligatoire ou « constitue un nouvel exercice d’un pouvoir discrétionnaire ou d’un pouvoir décisionnel » ( Miramichi , au par. 21) est nécessairement une question de droit. [22] Par conséquent, selon les distinctions bien établies que la Cour suprême a expliquées dans l’arrêt Housen c.
Nikolaisen , 2002 CSC 33 , [2002] 2 R.C.S. 235 , la question de savoir si la déclaration était une « décision » est une question de droit qui entraîne l’application de la norme de la décision correcte. V. Analyse [23] J’entamerai l’analyse avec une discussion des deux moyens d’appel soulevés par LCI. À mon sens, la déclaration n’est rien de plus qu’une ligne directrice émise par l’Ordre à l’attention de ses membres, ligne directrice qui se veut le reflet de l’interprétation donnée par l’Ordre aux dispositions existantes de la
Loi sur les pharmaciens qui ont trait aux paramètres du champ d’exercice. Je poursuivrai avec une discussion distincte sur la qualité pour agir. A. La déclaration était-elle une décision ou un règlement irrégulièrement adopté ayant trait au champ d’exercice des pharmaciens? [24] Pour caractériser la déclaration, nous devons examiner les dispositions pertinentes de la
Loi sur les pharmaciens , de son règlement général et de la
Loi sur les diététistes . Tout le soulignement dans les passages cités est de moi. Si la déclaration modifie le champ d’exercice, alors elle pourrait être conçue comme un règlement irrégulièrement adopté, lequel serait susceptible de révision judiciaire. [25] Comme nous l’avons vu, LCI appuie l’essentiel de sa position sur une interprétation large de l’art. 49 de la Loi sur les pharmaciens afin de faire valoir qu’il est permis aux pharmaciens de surveiller, dans le cadre de leur champ d’exercice, la perte de poids des clients.
Comme j’en discuterai plus amplement ci-dessous, ce domaine est réservé exclusivement aux diététistes par la Loi sur les diététistes . Les champs d’exercice que prévoient respectivement les deux lois doivent être interprétés de sorte à permettre leur coexistence tout en évitant les conflits entre eux. [26] Le paragraphe 49(1) de la
Loi sur les pharmaciens prévoit que l’exercice de la pharmacie sert à promouvoir la
santé par le « […] traitement – médicamenteux ou non […] ». [27] L’alinéa 49(2)
a) prévoit que les pharmaciens peuvent aider et conseiller la clientèle par le partage de connaissances qui lui sont propres en matière de choix et d’utilisation de médicaments ou d’autres produits dans le cadre d’un traitement médicamenteux ou non médicamenteux . [28] J’interprète cette disposition, lorsqu’elle est appliquée aux faits en l’espèce, comme signifiant que, même s’il ne peut y avoir de différend quant à la vente des éléments du protocole (choix et utilisation d’un traitement non médicamenteux) – différend qui n’a effectivement pas lieu en l’espèce –, cette disposition de la
Loi sur les pharmaciens ne mentionne rien en matière de surveillance. La surveillance ne fait pas
partie de la prestation de conseils sur le choix et l’utilisation de produits. [29] Mon interprétation de l’al. 49(2)
a) est renforcée par l’al. 49(2) b ), qui indique que les pharmaciens peuvent suivre de près les réactions à un traitement médicamenteux et les résultats de ce traitement uniquement . Fait important, il n’y a aucune mention de la capacité de suivre de près des traitements non médicamenteux. J’irais jusqu’à dire qu’une telle pratique est expressément exclue par l’al. 49(2)
b) lorsqu’il est lu en corrélation avec l’al. 49(2) a ). Par conséquent, ce fait va à l’encontre de la position de LCI selon laquelle la surveillance que l’on demande aux pharmaciens d’effectuer relativement au protocole fait
partie du champ d’exercice prévu à l’al. 49(2) a ). [30] Selon l’alinéa 49(2) d ), les pharmaciens peuvent fournir des produits de nutrition parentérale et des appareils de soins de santé. Encore une fois, ce fait est complètement compatible avec la vente des produits du protocole en cause. [31] L’alinéa 49(2)
i) permet aux pharmaciens de « conseiller et [d’]appuyer d’autres pharmaciens dans la prestation de services pharmaceutiques ». Cela reflète, en partie, la capacité d’un pharmacien possédant une expertise particulière dans les limites de son champ d’exercice d’aider un autre pharmacien qui n’a pas cette expertise, ou qui en a peu. Par conséquent, le champ d’exercice variera d’un pharmacien à l’autre. Cela dit, l’application de cet alinéa ne s’étendra pas à la prestation de conseils et de services de suivi visant à appuyer les fabricants de traitements non médicamenteux, comme le protocole de LCI. [32] L’article 50 de la
Loi sur les pharmaciens traite de cinq autres domaines spécifiques dans lesquels les pharmaciens peuvent exercer leurs activités. Pour paraphraser, ils peuvent : 1) prescrire les médicaments, traitements et appareils désignés pour l’application de cet
article ; 2) administrer les médicaments et les traitements désignés par règlement ; 3) interpréter les résultats des tests auto-administrés désignés par règlement ; 4) commander les tests de dépistage et de diagnostic désignés par règlement et en recevoir les résultats; 5) administrer et interpréter les tests désignés par règlement . [33] Le seul règlement pris sous le régime de la
Loi sur les pharmaciens est le règlement général, et celui-ci ne contient aucune disposition pouvant entraîner l’application de l’art. 50 au protocole. Le législateur a délimité avec beaucoup de précision le champ d’exercice des pharmaciens. Il va de soi qu’il est nécessaire d’être précis lorsqu’il est question de la santé du public. Si le législateur avait l’intention de permettre aux pharmaciens de participer au suivi de traitements non médicamenteux tels que le protocole, il l’aurait indiqué, en particulier à l’al. 49(2) b ).
Il a expressément choisi de ne pas le faire. [34] De plus, il y a d’autres dispositions du règlement général qui appuient l’interprétation présentée ci-dessus. Par exemple, l’al. 6.4
b) porte sur les conflits d’intérêts. Il prévoit qu’un pharmacien se place en situation de conflit d’intérêts lorsque « la pharmacie […] fait un arrangement ou conclut une entente au sujet duquel une personne raisonnable ayant connaissance des faits
pertinents conclurait ou aurait l’impression que cet arrangement ou cette entente aurait probablement pour effet d’influencer défavorablement le jugement professionnel du membre ou d’influencer ou de compromettre sa capacité d’exercer la pharmacie d’une manière éthique ou en conformité avec les normes d’exercice ». Ces normes sont exposées dans la
partie XVIII du règlement général. J’estimerais qu’il serait tout à fait conforme à la perception d’une personne raisonnable de conclure qu’il serait en l’espèce dans l’intérêt supérieur de LCI de s’allier avec les pharmaciens pour les aider à commercialiser le protocole en menant leurs clients à croire qu’ils peuvent se fier aux compétences professionnelles des pharmaciens lorsqu’ils choisissent de suivre le programme du protocole. C’est en
partie ce que l’Ordre souhaite éviter et ce qui est visé par l’al. 6.4
b) du règlement général comme conduite à éviter afin de protéger l’intérêt public. [35] Une dernière remarque sur le règlement général : la
partie XIX porte sur la publicité et la mise en marché ayant trait à la prestation de services pharmaceutiques ou à l’exercice de la « pharmacie » au sens de ce terme défini à l’art. 1 de la Loi sur les pharmaciens . Toute publicité ainsi visée fait l’objet de restrictions, et doit notamment éviter : 1) d’être ambiguë ou déroutante; 2) de contenir des témoignages d’appréciation, des déclarations comparatives ou des appuis. La Cour dispose d’éléments de preuve indiquant que certains pharmaciens ont franchi cette limite et auraient violé cette disposition. [36] LCI soutient que le par. 52(1) de la
Loi sur les pharmaciens permet un certain chevauchement avec les champs d’exercice d’autres professionnels de la santé. Ce paragraphe prévoit simplement que la Loi et les règlements n’ont pas pour effet d’empêcher un « professionnel de la santé » (un terme qui reçoit dans cette Loi une définition distincte de celle de « pharmacien ») d’exercer sa profession dans les limites du champ d’exercice de celle-ci. Pour les besoins du présent appel, ce paragraphe doit être interprété en harmonie avec l’art. 40 de la
Loi sur les diététistes , lequel est le pendant du par. 52(1) de la
Loi sur les pharmaciens . L’article 40 de la
Loi sur les diététistes prévoit que cette loi ne peut être appliquée de sorte à s’opposer à l’exercice de, entre autres professions, celle de pharmacien par une personne autorisée à l’exercer en vertu de la
Loi sur les pharmaciens . Ces dispositions ne soutiennent pas un argument en faveur de l’existence d’un chevauchement des champs d’activité professionnelle. Il est vrai que les deux professions ont, de façon générale, certains points en commun, mais ces dispositions indiquent clairement que chaque profession doit être exercée dans les limites de son champ d’exercice respectif, tel qu’il est défini dans la loi habilitante de chaque profession, et non outrepasser celles-ci. Il ne peut y avoir chevauchement entre les professions sauf disposition législative expresse contraire. Certes, s’agissant du présent appel, rien ne permet à un pharmacien d’exercer la diététique. [37] La
Loi sur les diététistes définit un diététiste comme un professionnel immatriculé en vertu de cette loi « […] qui se spécialise dans le rapprochement entre l’art et la science de l’alimentation et de la nutrition et la santé […] ». Le terme « exercice de la diététique », défini à l’art. 1, désigne l’interprétation et l’application des connaissances scientifiques liées aux aliments et à la nutrition humaine, dans le but d’assurer, de sauvegarder et de favoriser la santé. Elle comprend notamment l’évaluation des besoins nutritionnels des particuliers ainsi que l’élaboration et la mise en place de régimes nutritionnels en fonction de cette évaluation (voir l’al.
b) de la définition du terme « exercice de la diététique » ). [38] Par conséquent, on peut bien comprendre la confusion qui pourrait survenir dans l’esprit des gens qui font affaire avec des pharmaciens assurant le suivi relativement au protocole et fournissant des consultations individuelles et un accompagnement personnalisé relativement au plan d’action et à son élaboration, alors que le protocole est censé être [TRADUCTION] « universel et convenir à tous ». Ces activités tombent manifestement dans le champ de compétence des diététistes. [39] La
Loi sur les pharmaciens ne contient aucune disposition portant sur l’exercice de la diététique et, peu importe le mode d’interprétation législative employé, la position de LCI ne résiste pas à l’analyse. [40] Je me pencherai donc sur la caractérisation qu’il convient de donner à la déclaration de l’Ordre. Étant donné le cadre législatif que j’ai résumé ci-dessus, il est inutile de discuter davantage des détails du champ d’exercice des pharmaciens au-delà de ce qui a été indiqué précédemment.
Les champs d’exercice des pharmaciens sont différents et varient énormément selon le contexte dans lequel ils exercent leur profession. Quel que soit ce contexte, il suffit de dire en l’espèce qu’aucun pharmacien ne peut se livrer à l’exercice de la diététique. C’est tout ce que l’Ordre avait l’intention de communiquer à ses membres au moyen de la déclaration, et c’est tout ce qu’elle leur a en fait communiqué. [41] LCI soutient que la déclaration de l’Ordre était un règlement déguisé et irrégulièrement adopté qui modifiait le champ d’exercice des pharmaciens.
Avec égards, je ne partage pas son point de vue et je souscris entièrement à la conclusion du juge
saisi de la requête sur cette question, conclusion qui complète mon analyse ci-dessus. La déclaration n’était rien de plus qu’un rappel ouune ligne directrice confirmant le champ d’exercice existant, accompagné d’une mise en garde de ne pas s’immiscer dans des domainesréservés à l’expertise et à la formation d’autres professionnels de la santé. [42] Les associations professionnelles chargées d’administrer et de réglementer leurs membres sont habilitées àpublier de telles déclarations sans y être expressément autorisées par une disposition législative et sans faire l’objet d’une révisionjudiciaire.
Dans l’arrêt Ainsley Financial Corp. c. Ontario Securities Commission, (ON CA), [1994] O.J. No. 2966(C.A.) (QL), la Cour d’appel de l’Ontario s’est penchée sur l’autorité dont dispose un organisme de réglementation pour publier desdéclarations ou des lignes directrices ayant pour objectif d’informer et d’orienter les personnes sur qui il exerce son autorité.
Le principeappliqué dans cette affaire relativement à la Commission des valeurs mobilières de l’Ontario s’applique aussi à tout organismed’autoréglementation, y compris à l’Ordre, un organisme crée par une loi lui conférant l’autorité réglementaire qu’il exerce sur sesmembres. Le juge d’appel Doherty, s’exprimant au nom de la cour, a déclaré ce qui suit : [TRADUCTION] […] La jurisprudence reconnaît clairement que les organismes de réglementation peuvent, à
titre de saine pratique administrative et endépit de l’absence d’un pouvoir législatif précis pour ce faire, adopter des lignes directrices et d’autres textes non obligatoires : HopedaleDevelopments Ltd. c. Oakville (Town), (ON CA), [1965] 1 O.R. 259, à la p. 263, 47 D.L.R. (2d) 482 (C.A.); MapleLodge Farms c. Gouvernement du Canada, (CSC), [1982] 2 R.C.S. 2, aux p. 6 et 7, 137 D.L.R. (3d) 558; CapitalCities Comm. Inc. c. C.R.T.C., (CSC), [1978] 2 R.C.S. 141, à la p. 170, 81 D.L.R. (3d) 609, à la p. 629; Friends of theOldman River Society c.
Canada (Ministre des Transports), (CSC), [1992] 1 R.C.S. 3, à la p. 35, 88 D.L.R. (4th) 1; Pezim, précité, à la p. 596; Commission de réforme du droit du Canada, Rapport no 26, Rapport sur les organismes administratifsautonomes : Un cadre pour la prise de décision (1985), aux p. 29 à 31. Les textes non réglementaires, comme des lignes directrices, ne sont pas nécessairement établis en vertu d’une disposition législativeaccordant le pouvoir de les adopter.
Il s’agit plutôt d’un outil administratif auquel l’organisme de réglementation peut faire appel pourl’aider à exercer les pouvoirs que lui confère la loi et à remplir son mandat de réglementation d’une manière plus juste, plus ouverte etplus efficace.
Bien qu’il puisse y avoir beaucoup de mérite à prévoir la possibilité de renvoyer à des textes non réglementaires dans la loihabilitante de l’organisme de réglementation, une telle disposition n’est pas une condition préalable à l’utilisation de tels textes parl’organisme de réglementation. […] […] Il n’y a pas toujours de ligne claire qui sépare une ligne directrice d’une prescription obligatoire ayant l’effet d’une disposition législative.Au centre de l’univers réglementaire, ces deux réalités se confondent. La terminologie du texte en cause ne permet pas non plus detrancher la question.
L’utilisation du terme « ligne directrice » n’a rien de magique, et on ne peut non plus tirer une conclusion définitivede l’utilisation du terme « réglementer ». Bien qu’important, l’examen de la terminologie d’un texte n’est qu’une
partie du processusvisant à en déterminer la portée. En analysant la terminologie d’un texte, il faut toujours la replacer dans son contexte et non en isolercertains termes ou passages. [par. 11, 12 et 16] [Je souligne.] [43] Le principe exposé ci-dessus s’applique parfaitement à la déclaration de l’Ordre. Le juge saisi de la requête aconclu, à juste titre, que la déclaration n’est rien de plus qu’un rappel ou une ligne directrice. Je rejetterais donc les deux moyens d’appelde LCI. La déclaration n’est ni une décision ni, par déduction nécessaire, un règlement irrégulièrement adopté. B.
La qualité de LCI pour introduire une requête en révision judiciaire [44] Dans le cas d’une requête en révision judiciaire introduite sous le régime de la règle 69 des Règles deprocédure, la qualité pour agir provient de la loi habilitante ou d’un intérêt privé ou public. La qualité pour agir dans l’intérêt public n’apas été sollicitée en l’espèce; ce recours n’était de toute manière pas disponible. Dans l’arrêt Finlay c. Canada (Ministre des Finances), (CSC), [1986] 2 R.C.S. 607, [1986] A.C.S. no 73 (QL), la Cour suprême a adopté l’opinion dissidente exprimée dans l’arrêt Ministre de la Justice (Can.) c.
Borowski, (CSC), [1981] 2 R.C.S. 575, [1981] A.C.S. no 103 (QL), par le juge enchef Laskin, qui avait ainsi exposé la règle générale en matière de qualité pour agir : […] À moins que la loi elle-même ne permette à un citoyen ou un contribuable de contester sa portée, son application ou sa validité, la
politique dominante veut que celui qui conteste la loi établisse quant à l’application de la loi, qu’il a un intérêt particulier plus grand que l’intérêt général de chaque individu dans un groupe donné . [par. 19] [Je souligne.] [45] Notre Cour a approuvé le passage ci-dessus dans l’arrêt Barreau du Nouveau-Brunswick c. FCT Insurance Company , 2009 NBCA 22 , [2009] A.N.-B. n o 122 (QL) , au par. 31 , une décision sur laquelle LCI s’appuie fortement pour soutenir qu’elle avait la qualité requise pour introduire la requête sous-jacente. Avec égards, l’arrêt FCT se distingue nettement de l’espèce.
Cet arrêt portait sur le droit d’un assureur de titres d’exercer son activité en dépit de normes d’exercice adoptées par le Barreau qui limitaient ce droit de manière importante. Un contraste frappant se distingue nettement et s’observe entre la position adoptée par LCI et celle de l’assureur de titres dans l’arrêt FCT . Rien dans la déclaration ne limite de quelque manière que ce soit le droit de LCI de vendre et de promouvoir son protocole.
La déclaration rappelle tout simplement aux pharmaciens de ne pas se livrer à des activités qui sortent de leur champ d’exercice. [46] L’autre distinction entre la présente affaire et l’arrêt FCT est que la qualité pour agir dans cette affaire a été confirmée par notre Cour dans le contexte d’une action dans laquelle on avait sollicité, au moyen d’un recours d’intérêt privé, une déclaration selon laquelle le règlement contesté était ultra vires du Barreau.
Ce contexte est complètement différent du contexte de droit public sur lequel porte une requête en révision judiciaire présentée sous le régime de la règle 69, soit le recours que LCI a choisi. À cet égard, le droit au Nouveau-Brunswick diffère de celui des autres provinces et du fédéral, où les déclarations de cette nature sont visées par leur équivalent de notre règle 69. [47] LCI affirme qu’elle a un intérêt économique particulier en jeu, intérêt qui lui donne la qualité pour agir.
Même si tel était le cas (et je ne me prononce pas sur cette question), cet intérêt ne donne pas à LCI le droit de réclamer un redressement contre un ordre professionnel dont les membres n’ont pas les qualités requises pour fournir les services qu’elle demande. Afin de déterminer si une
partie dispose d’un intérêt privé pour agir, quatre éléments devraient être examinés : 1) l’objectif de la loi; 2) l’objet de l’instance; 3) l’intérêt de la
partie pour l’objet; 4) l’effet que la « décision » pourrait avoir sur l’intérêt en jeu. Voir Canadian Elevator Industry Education Program c. Nova Scotia (Elevators and Lifts) , 2016 NSCA 80 , [2016] N.S.J. No. 435 (QL), au par. 42 .
(1) L’objectif de la loi [48] Tout intérêt particulier allégué qui conférerait à LCI la qualité pour contester la déclaration va à l’encontre des objectifs et buts du régime législatif établi par la
Loi sur les pharmaciens , dont l’objectif général est la protection du public. À cette fin, l’Ordre est habilité par la
Loi sur les pharmaciens , qui lui offre plusieurs possibilités pour réglementer ses membres en vue d’atteindre cet objectif. Ces possibilités comprennent notamment l’adoption de règlements, de directives de pratique et de déclarations non obligatoires, ce que l’Ordre a décidé de publier en l’espèce. Il en résulterait un modèle législatif entièrement impraticable si l’Ordre était redevable aux intérêts d’entreprises à but lucratif, qui n’ont aucun intérêt juridique dans la réglementation des pharmaciens par l’Ordre.
Reconnaître la qualité pour agir à LCI aurait effectivement pour effet de dire qu’il existe une corrélation entre l’objectif législatif de la protection du public et les intérêts économiques de LCI. Je ne peux