2013 NBCA 23, 2013 NBCA 23
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF NEW BRUNSWICK COUR D’APPEL DU NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 108-11-CA R.S.L. (Respondent) APPELLANT R.S.L. (Intimé) APPELANT - and - - et - S.I.L. (Petitioner) RESPONDENT S.I.L. (Requérante) INTIMÉE R.S.L. v. S.I.L., 2013 NBCA 23 R.S.L. c.
S.I.L., 2013 NBCA 23 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Larlee The Honourable Justice Bell The Honourable Justice Green CORAM : L’honorable juge Larlee L’honorable juge Bell L’honorable juge Green Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: June 27, 2011 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : Le 27 juin 2011 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: Unreported Décision frappée d’appel : Inédite Preliminary or incidental proceedings: Court of Appeal [2012] N.B.J.
No. 90 (QL) Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : Cour d’appel [2012] A.N.-B. n o 90 (QL) Appeal heard: May 10, 2012 Appel entendu : Le 10 mai 2012 Judgment rendered: March 21, 2013 Jugement rendu : Le 21 mars 2013
Reasons for judgment by: The Honourable Justice Green Motifs de jugement : L’honorable juge Green Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Larlee The Honourable Justice Bell Souscrivent aux motifs : L’honorable juge Larlee L’honorable juge Bell Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: Justin Roherty For the respondent: Marta Shannon Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appelant : Justin Roherty Pour l’intimée : Marta Shannon THE COURT The appeal is dismissed, with costs payable to the respondent in the amount of $1,500. LA COUR Rejette l’appel et accorde à l’intimée des dépens de 1 500 $.
The judgment of the Court was delivered by GREEN J.A. I. Introduction [ 1 ] The appellant and respondent are a divorced couple who appeared before a judge of the New Brunswick Court of Queen’s Bench, Family Division, seeking changes to, and the enforcement of, various provisions of a Consent Order issued under the Divorce Act , R.S.C. 1985, c. 3 (2 nd Supp.) and the Marital Property Act , S.N.B. 1980, c. M-1.1. Although successful in certain respects, the appellant husband takes issue with aspects of the motion judge’s decision and brings forward the present appeal.
For the reasons which follow, I would dismiss the appeal with costs. II. Factual Background [ 2 ] The parties were married on December 15, 1990, and have three children (born in 1991, 1993, and 2000). They have lived separate and apart since October, 2003. [ 3 ] The respondent filed a Petition for Divorce on March 15, 2006, and an Amended Petition on May 8, 2006. She sought, in addition to a divorce, custody of the three children, access for the two older children with their father, supervised access for the youngest child, child support, and spousal support.
[ 4 ] A number of interim court orders issued following the separation: July 2004, January 2006, two in May 2006, and July 2006. A final order was issued, with the consent of the parties, on March 30, 2007, the terms of which are central to the matter now before the Court.
The order in question contained the following provisions: ➢ Joint custody of the three children was granted to the respondent, who was to provide the children with their residence and primary day-to-day care. ➢ The terms of access between the children and the appellant were outlined. ➢ The appellant was ordered to pay child support pursuant to the Federal Child Support Guidelines in the amount of $876 per month, based on an annual income of $50,000. ➢ The appellant was to maintain a life insurance policy in the amount of $100,000, naming the respondent as beneficiary, for as long as he was obligated to pay child support. ➢ The respondent was to retain the marital home. ➢ The appellant was to pay a credit card debt of approximately $6,100 within 14 days, and protect the respondent against liability for the account by cancelling the card. ➢ The appellant was to retain ownership of his business, and be responsible for its debts. ➢ The appellant was to pay the respondent $20,000 in four equal installments according to a specified payment schedule. ➢ The appellant was to pay an outstanding loan of $2,000 for the purchase of a van. [ 5 ] Three years later, in a Notice of Motion dated April 23, 2010, the appellant sought to vary certain terms of the March 30, 2007, order to reflect what he argued was a change in his financial circumstances.
The respondent countered with requests of her own, essentially seeking to have other provisions of the same order enforced. III. Issues [ 6 ] The appellant alleges the motion judge erred as follows: 1. By not considering the consent order of March 30, 2007, as a factor to be used in the Court’s exercise of discretion under the Divorce Act , and by not applying the first stage of the two-stage test enunciated by the Supreme Court of Canada in Miglin v. Miglin , 2003 SCC 24 , [2003] 1 S.C.R. 303 ; and 2.
By not considering the consent order as a factor to be used in the Court’s exercise of discretion under the Marital Property Act , and by not applying the principles set out in Miglin when dealing with corollary relief issues. IV. Law and Analysis
A. Standard of Review [7] The standard of review in family matters is well settled, and has been clearly stated by thisCourt on numerous occasions. In C.M.H. v. J.R.H., 2012 NBCA 71, 393 N.B.R. (2d) 154, Quigg J.A. reiterates the deferential approachto be taken by appellate courts in cases such as this: This Court set out the standard of review generally applicable in family cases in Smith v. Smith, 2011 NBCA 66, 375 N.B.R. (2d) 208: In family cases, trial judges' decisions are given considerable deference. In MacDonald v.
MacDonald, 2011 NBCA 25, 372 N.B.R. (2d)179, Larlee J.A. says: The standard of review that applies to family matters generally is that the judge's decision must be given considerable deference. Anappellate court is empowered to set aside or vary a decision or order where it is the product of an error of law, an error in principle, asignificant misapprehension of the evidence or if it is clearly wrong (see Hickey v. Hickey, (SCC), [1999] 2 S.C.R. 518,[1999] S.C.J. No. 9 (QL) para. 11; Van de Perre v. Edwards, 2001 SCC 60, [2001] 2 S.C.R. 1014; Savoie v. Levesque, 2009 NBCA 47,[2009] N.B.J. No. 282 (QL); Ms.
P.H. v. Mr. P.H., 2008 NBCA 17, [2008] N.B.J. No. 52 (QL); Milton v. Milton, 2008 NBCA 87, 338N.B.R. (2d) 300, para. 14.; J.E.J. v. S.L.M., 2007 NBCA 33, [2007] N.B.J. No. 249 (QL), para. 35; S.H. v. V.B., 2007 NBCA 69, 321N.B.R. (2d) 314, para. 2). [para. 7] The standard of review in spousal support cases is discussed in Milton v. Milton, 2008 NBCA 87, 338 N.B.R. (2d) 300, where LarleeJ.A. stated: [...] In addition we will only interfere with a support order where there has been an error in principle, a significant misapprehension of theevidence, or the award is clearly wrong (see Hickey v.
Hickey, (SCC), [1999] 2 S.C.R. 518, [1999] S.C.J. No. 9 (QL),at para. 11 and Pollock v. Rioux (2004), 278 N.B.R. (2d) 351, [2004] N.B.J. No. 467 (QL), 2004 NBCA 98, para. 27). [para. 14] Richard J.A. discusses the standard of review respecting findings of fact in Lang v. Lang, [2007] N.B.J. No. 348 (C.A.) (QL): The law is equally clear that the Court of Appeal cannot re-try a case.
The Court of Appeal may only overturn a trial judge's finding offact [if] it is the result of a palpable and overriding error, and may only interfere with a discretionary order if it is founded upon an errorof law, an error in the application of the governing principles or a palpable and overriding error in the assessment of the evidence (seeHousen v. Nikolaisen, 2002 SCC 33 , [2002] 2 S.C.R. 235, [2002] S.C.J. No. 31 (QL), 2002 S.C.C. 33 and H.L. v. Canada(Attorney General), [2005] 1 S.C.R. 401, [2005] S.C.J. No. 24 (QL), 2005 SCC 25 with regard to findings of fact, and British Columbia(Minister of Forests) v.
Okanagan Indian Band, [2003] 3 S.C.R. 371, [2003] S.C.J. No. 76 (QL), 2003 SCC 71, at para. 43, with regardto discretionary orders). [para. 3] Therefore, in New Brunswick, although this deferential standard of review has been applied in spousal support cases, appellate courts caninterfere when a trial judge's key findings rest upon palpable and overriding errors of fact. [paras. 10-12] [para. 8] B. Applicability of the Miglin decision [8] In my opinion Miglin has no application in the present case.
There is a substantial differencebetween a domestic contract or separation agreement on the one hand, and an order issued by a judge of the Court of Queen’s Bench,Family Division, on the other. [9] Larlee J.A., aptly explains the Miglin test in Carrier v. Carrier, 2007 NBCA 23, 312 N.B.R.(2d) 285:
Miglin stands for the proposition that any agreement that deals with spousal support is open to subsequent review by a court. The grounds under which an agreement can be reviewed are narrow, but Miglin does give a court the jurisdiction to examine the agreement in determining whether spousal support should be granted. There are two steps to the first stage of a Miglin analysis. First, a court must look at the circumstances in which the agreement was negotiated and executed to determine whether there is any reason to discount it.
That will entail looking at the conditions of the parties, including the existence of any circumstances of oppression, pressure, or other vulnerabilities. A court must also take into account all of the circumstances, including those set out in s. 15.2(4) (
a) and ( b ), and the conditions under which the negotiations were held, such as their duration and whetherthere was professional assistance. The Supreme Court points out that the mere presence of vulnerabilities will not, in and of itself, justify the court's intervention, as the professional assistance received by the parties will often overcome any systemic imbalances between the parties.
Secondly, if a court comes to the conclusion that the agreement should not be discounted as a result of the circumstances under which it was negotiated and executed, then it must look at the substance of the agreement, including the extent to which the agreement takes into account the factors and objectives listed in the Act . These factors and objectives reflect an equitable sharing of the economic consequences of marriage and its breakdown.
If the agreement shows a significant departure from the general objectives of the Act the court's intervention will be warranted on the basis that there is not substantial compliance with the Act . The court must examine the spousal support considerations in s. 15.2 , as well as the finality and certainty of an agreement, and the emphasis in the Act on parties settling their own affairs. [paras. 10-12] [Emphasis added.] [ 10 ] “Agreement” is the operative word. In the present case, we are not dealing with a simple agreement between the parties.
A consent order signed by a judge of the Court of Queen’s Bench is another matter entirely, and carries with it the full weight of a judicial decision. Gone is the scope for consideration of the relative circumstances of the parties in the process which led to the presentation before a judge of an agreement by consent on specific issues. C. The decision appealed from [ 11 ] When the appellant filed his Notice of Motion, he asked the motion judge to consider only two issues: 1. His annual income was no longer $50,000; and 2.
He should be paying child support according to the Federal Child Support Guidelines based on an annual income of $30,000. In other words, the appellant was alleging a material change in circumstances, and requesting that the order of March 30, 2007, be varied in accordance with that change. [ 12 ] For her part, the respondent opposed the Notice of Motion, and filed a Responding Document seeking the following: 1. That the request for a variation in the amount of child support payable by the appellant be dismissed; 2.
That the appellant be ordered to reimburse the respondent amounts paid by the respondent on debts which were the responsibility of the appellant under the provisions of the March 30, 2007, order; and
3. That the appellant pay the respondent the amount of $15,000 as required by the provisions of the March 30, 2007, order. [ 13 ] At the outset of his decision, the motion judge made the following comments: [R.L.] and [S.L.] have been separated for more than seven years. The petition for divorce in this matter was filed May 5, 2006 but its disposition was deferred pending resolution of a number of financial issues flowing from the separation. Mr. [L.] expressed concerns about completing the divorce until all of the financial circumstances are reconciled.
Ms. [L.] says until the divorce has been granted, the financial differences will continue to fester without resolution. The financial issues were all collateral to the divorce. Rather than dealing with these two components as separate issues in separate proceedings, it seems more appropriate to come to some resolution of all matters at once. [paras. 1-3] [ 14 ] The motion judge’s decision then unfolds as outlined above. The divorce was granted on the basis of the parties having lived separate and apart for more than one year, and there being no “reasonable expectation” of reconciliation.
The appellant’s child support obligations were varied, as he requested, based upon a finding his annual income was $33,900. The appellant was ordered to pay the respondent $5,000 “for payments she made with respect to the debts” set out in the Consent Order for which the appellant was responsible. Finally, the appellant was ordered to pay the respondent $15,000 “in satisfaction of the remaining outstanding amount owing” pursuant to the Consent Order. [ 15 ] The motion judge used the March 30, 2007, Consent Order as the basis of the Order for Corollary Relief.
The appellant objects to this, and maintains a fresh inquiry should have been undertaken, and the Consent Order considered as a factor in the Court’s exercise of discretion under both applicable statutes, the Divorce Act and the Marital Property Act . At this juncture, it is worthwhile to note the following wording contained in the March 30, 2007, Order: AND WHEREAS the parties have resolved all issues and wish to enter into a final Consent Order evidencing their agreement. [Emphasis added.] The parties, therefore, clearly believed this order to be final and determinative of the issues in dispute between them. D.
Certainty and Finality [ 16 ] There exists an unhealthy and corrosive tendency in many family law matters to prolong consideration of issues, seemingly without end. Given the highly emotional nature of marital or relationship breakdown, this reality is hardly surprising. Thus, it falls to the courts to impartially bring finality and certainty to such disputes. Parties to divorce proceedings rarely walk away from the experience entirely happy, and attempting to reach that particular objective is hardly an appropriate role for the courts to assume.
Rather, judges are called upon to resolve disputes, and whenever possible, to provide the parties thereto with as much ownership respecting the final outcome as can practically be achieved. An agreement reached between the parties, and subsequently presented to the Court with the request that it become a Consent Order, provides that ownership. Here, the parties indicated as part of the order that it embodied the resolution of all issues between them and was intended to be final. At no point did the appellant seek to overturn the Consent Order. He did not initiate an appeal.
He and the respondent lived by and conducted themselves according to its provisions for three years prior to the appellant seeking a variation to the amount of support payments.
[ 17 ] In my opinion, the motion judge took a pragmatic but reasonable approach to the matter before him, and chose to bring closure to divorce proceedings which had been underway for several years. He was justified in doing so, and I find no reversible error in his decision. The appellant was successful in lowering his monthly child support payments. As for the requests made by the respondent, the appellant was required to do no more than adhere to the provisions of the 2007 order and meet his existing financial obligations. V.
Disposition [ 18 ] For the reasons set out above, I would dismiss the appeal, and order the appellant to pay costs in the amount of $1,500. _____________________________ BRADLEY V. GREEN, J.A. WE CONCUR: ______________________________ M.E.L. LARLEE, J.A. ______________________________ B. RICHARD BELL, J.A. Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par LE JUGE GREEN I. Introduction
[1] L’appelant et l’intimée ont divorcé. Ils ont comparu devant la Cour du Banc de la Reine, Division de la famille, afin d’obtenir la modification et l’application effective de diverses dispositions d’une ordonnance par consentement rendue en vertu de la
Loi sur le divorce , L.R.C. 1985, ch. 3 (2 e suppl.) et de la
Loi sur les biens matrimoniaux , L.N.-B. 1980, ch. M-1.1. Quoiqu’il ait obtenu gain de cause à certains égards, le mari appelant conteste des aspects de la décision rendue par le juge saisi de la motion; c’est pourquoi il interjette le présent appel. Pour les motifs énoncés ci-après, je suis d’avis de rejeter l’appel et de condamner l’appelant aux dépens. II. Situation factuelle [2] Les parties se sont mariées le 15 décembre 1990 et elles ont trois enfants (nés en 1991, 1993 et 2000).
Elles vivent séparément depuis octobre 2003. [3] L’intimée a déposé une requête en divorce le 15 mars 2006 et une requête modifiée le 8 mai 2006. Elle a demandé, en plus du divorce, la garde des trois enfants, l’accès du père auprès des deux aînés, l’accès supervisé du père auprès du cadet, une pension alimentaire au profit des enfants et une pension alimentaire pour elle-même. [4] À la suite de la séparation, un certain nombre d’ordonnances provisoires ont été rendues par la Cour : une en juillet 2004 et une en janvier 2006, deux en mai 2006 et une autre en juillet 2006.
Le 30 mars 2007, par consentement des parties, une ordonnance définitive a été rendue et ce sont les conditions de cette ordonnance qui sont au cœur de l’affaire dont notre Cour est actuellement saisie.
L’ordonnance en cause contenait les dispositions suivantes : ➢ La garde conjointe des trois enfants était accordée à l’intimée, qui devait fournir aux enfants leur résidence et leur dispenser les soins quotidiens. ➢ Les conditions de l’accès du père auprès des enfants étaient énoncées. ➢ La Cour ordonnait à l’appelant de payer, au profit des enfants, une pension alimentaire de 876 $ par mois établie conformément aux Lignes directrices fédérales sur les pensions alimentaires pour enfants et calculée en fonction d’un revenu annuel de 50 000 $. ➢ L’appelant devait souscrire une assurance-vie de 100 000 $ et désigner l’intimée comme bénéficiaire, pour toute la période où il serait tenu de payer des aliments au profit des enfants. ➢ L’intimée conservait le foyer matrimonial. ➢ L’appelant devait rembourser une dette de carte de crédit d’environ 6100 $ dans un délai de 14 jours et protéger l’intimée de toute responsabilité à l’égard de ce compte en annulant la carte de crédit. ➢ L’appelant devait conserver la propriété de son entreprise commerciale et assumer entièrement les dettes de celle-ci. ➢ La Cour ordonnait à l’appelant de verser à l’intimée la somme de 20 000 $ répartie en quatre versements égaux, selon un échéancier fixe. ➢ L’appelant devait rembourser un prêt impayé de 2000 $ sur l’achat d’une fourgonnette. [5] Trois ans plus tard, par voie d’avis de motion daté du 23 avril 2010, l’appelant a demandé la modification de certaines conditions de l’ordonnance du 30 mars 2007, afin que celle-ci reflète ce qu’il prétendait être un changement concernant sa situation financière.
L’intimée a répliqué en formulant ses propres demandes, ayant trait, essentiellement, à l’application effective d’autres dispositions de la même ordonnance.
III. Questions en litige [6] L’appelant prétend que le juge saisi de la motion a commis les erreurs suivantes : 1. Le juge a omis de considérer l’ordonnance par consentement du 30 mars 2007 comme facteur dont il devait tenir compte pourexercer son pouvoir discrétionnaire en vertu de la
Loi sur le divorce, et il n’a pas appliqué le premier volet du critère en deux voletsénoncé par la Cour suprême du Canada dans Miglin c. Miglin, 2003 CSC 24, [2003] 1 R.C.S. 303. 2. Le juge a omis de considérer l’ordonnance par consentement comme facteur dont il devait tenir compte pour exercer son pouvoirdiscrétionnaire en vertu de la
Loi sur les biens matrimoniaux, et il n’a pas appliqué les principes énoncés dans l’arrêt Miglin enexaminant les questions concernant des mesures accessoires. IV. Analyse et droit A. Norme de contrôle [7] La norme de contrôle afférente aux affaires de droit de la famille est bien établie et a été énoncée clairement par notre Cour à maintes reprises. Dans l’arrêt C.M.H. c. J.R.H., 2012 NBCA 71, 393 R.N.-B. (2e) 154, la juged’appel Quigg a réexpliqué l’attitude de déférence dont doivent faire montre les tribunaux d’appel dans des affaires comme celle dontnous sommes saisis : Dans Smith c.
Smith, 2011 NBCA 66, 375 R.N.-B. (2e) 208, notre Cour a énoncé la norme de contrôle applicable, de façon générale, enmatière familiale : S’agissant d’affaires relevant du droit de la famille, il faut faire preuve d’une grande retenue à l’égard des décisions des juges de première instance. Dans MacDonald c. MacDonald, 2011 NBCA 25, 372 R.N.-B. (2e) 179, la juge d’appel Larlee affirme ce qui suit : La norme de contrôle qui s’applique généralement aux affaires familiales exige une grande retenue face à la décision du juge.
Untribunal d’appel a le pouvoir d’annuler ou de modifier une décision ou une ordonnance lorsqu’elle est le fruit d’une erreur de droit, d’uneerreur de principe, d’une erreur significative dans l’interprétation de la preuve, ou si elle est manifestement erronée (voir Hickey c. Hickey, (SCC), [1999] 2 R.C.S. 518, [1999] A.C.S. no 9 (QL), par. 11, Van de Perre c. Edwards, 2001 CSC 60, [2001] 2 R.C.S. 1014, Savoie c. Levesque, 2009 NBCA 47, [2009] A.N.-B. no 282 (QL), Mme P.H. c. M. P.H., 2008 NBCA 17, [2008] A.N.-B. no 52 (QL), Milton c. Milton, 2008 NBCA 87, 338 R.N.-B. (2e) 300, par. 14, J.E.J. c.
S.L.M., 2007 NBCA 33, [2007] A.N.-B. no 249 (QL), par. 35, et S.H. c. V.B., 2007 NBCA 69, 321 R.N.-B. (2e) 314, par. 2). (Par. 7) La norme de contrôle applicable aux affaires de pension alimentaire au profit de l’époux a été abordée dans Milton c. Milton, 2008 NBCA 87, 338 R.N.-B. (2e) 300, où la juge Larlee a mentionné ce qui suit : [...] De plus, nous ne modifierons une ordonnance alimentaire qu’en cas d’erreur de principe ou d’erreur significative dansl’interprétation de la preuve, ou encore si la décision est manifestement erronée (voir Hickey c.
Hickey, (SCC), [1999] 2 R.C.S. 518, [1999] A.C.S. no 9 (QL), au par. 11, et J.P. c. R.R. (2004), 278 R.N.-B. (2e) 351, [2004] A.N.-B. no 467 (QL), 2004NBCA 98, par. 27). [Par. 14] Dans l’arrêt Lang c. Lang, [2007] A.N.-B. no 348 (C.A.) (QL), le juge d’appel Richard a examiné la norme de contrôle qui s’appliqueaux conclusions de fait :
Il est tout aussi clair, en droit, que la Cour d’appel ne peut juger l’affaire de nouveau. La Cour d’appel ne peut infirmer une conclusion de fait du juge du procès que si celle-ci résulte d’une erreur manifeste et dominante et ne peut modifier une ordonnance discrétionnaire que si celle-ci est fondée sur une erreur de droit, une erreur dans l’application des principes directeurs ou une erreur manifeste et dominante dans l’appréciation de la preuve (voir les arrêts Housen c. Nikolaisen , [2002] 2 R.C.S. 235 , [2002] A.C.S. n o 31 (QL) , 2002 CSC 33 et H.L. c.
Canada (Procureur général) , [2005] 1 R.C.S. 401 , [2005] A.C.S. n o 24 (QL) , 2005 CSC 25 , pour ce qui concerne les conclusions de fait, et l’arrêt Colombie-Britannique (Ministre des Forêts) c.
Bande indienne Okanagan , [2003] 3 R.C.S. 371 , [2003] A.C.S. n o 76 (QL) , 2003 CSC 71 , au par. 43 , pour ce qui concerne les ordonnances discrétionnaires). [Par. 3] Par conséquent, au Nouveau-Brunswick, même si cette norme de contrôle fondée sur la retenue judiciaire a été suivie dans les affaires de pension alimentaire au profit de l’époux, les cours d’appel peuvent intervenir si les principales conclusions du juge du procès reposent sur une erreur de fait manifeste et dominante. [Par. 10 à 12] [Par. 8] B. Applicabilité de la décision Miglin [8] À mon avis, la décision Miglin ne s’applique pas en l’espèce.
Il n’y a pas de différence substantielle entre un contrat domestique ou une entente de séparation, d’une part, et une ordonnance rendue par un juge de la Cour du Banc de la Reine, Division de la famille, d’autre part. [9] Dans l’affaire Carrier c. Carrier , 2007 NBCA 23 , 312 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 285 , la juge d’appel Larlee fournit une explication à propos du critère énoncé dans Miglin : L’arrêt Miglin appuie la proposition voulant que tout accord traitant de pension alimentaire peut faire l’objet d’une révision ultérieure par un tribunal.
Certes, les motifs pour lesquels un accord peut être révisé sont limités, mais Miglin habilite bel et bien un tribunal à examiner l’accord pour déterminer si une pension alimentaire devrait être accordée. La première étape de l’analyse prévue dans l’arrêt Miglin comporte deux volets. Premièrement, le tribunal doit examiner les circonstances dans lesquelles l’accord a été négocié et conclu afin de décider s’il y a lieu de l’écarter. Cela nécessitera un examen de la situation des parties, notamment la présence d’oppression, de pression ou autres sources de vulnérabilité.
Le tribunal doit également tenir compte de toutes les circonstances, y compris celles énumérées aux al. 15.2(4)
a) et b ), et des conditions dans lesquelles les négociations se sont déroulées, comme leur durée et l’apport d’une aide professionnelle. La Cour suprême souligne que la simple existence d’une situation de vulnérabilité ne justifie pas en soi l’intervention du tribunal, étant donné que l’aide professionnelle reçue par les parties vient souvent à bout d’un déséquilibre systémique entre les parties.
Deuxièmement, si le tribunal arrive à la conclusion que l’accord ne devrait pas être écarté en raison des circonstances dans lesquelles il a été négocié et conclu, il doit alors s’attacher à son contenu et déterminer notamment dans quelle mesure l’accord tient compte des facteurs et des objectifs énumérés dans la Loi . Ces facteurs et objectifs reflètent un partage équitable des conséquences économiques du mariage et de son échec.
Si l’accord marque un écart important par rapport aux objectifs généraux de la Loi , l’intervention du tribunal se justifiera au motif qu’il n’est pas conforme pour l’essentiel à la Loi . Le tribunal doit examiner les considérations relatives aux aliments entre époux à l’art. 15.2 , ainsi que la finalité et la certitude d’un accord et l’invitation aux parties de régler leurs propres affaires. [Par. 10 à 12] [C’est moi qui souligne.] [10] Le mot « accord » est déterminant. En l’espèce, nous ne sommes pas saisis d’un simple accord conclu entre les parties.
Une ordonnance par consentement, signée par un juge de la Cour du Banc de la Reine, est une toute autre affaire et elle a la même portée qu’une décision judiciaire. Il n’y a plus lieu de tenir compte des situations relatives des parties qui ont mené à la présentation au juge d’un accord conclu par elles sur des questions particulières. C. La décision frappée d’appel [11] Au moment de déposer son avis de motion, l’appelant a demandé au juge saisi de la motion de n’examiner que deux questions :
1. son salaire annuel ne s’élevait plus à 50 000 $; 2. la pension alimentaire qu’il devrait payer au profit des enfants selon les Lignes directrices fédérales sur les pensions alimentaires pour enfants devrait être établie en fonction d’un salaire annuel de 30 000 $.
Autrement dit, l’appelant prétendait qu’il avait subi un changement important de situation et il demandait à la Cour de modifier l’ordonnance du 30 mars 2007 afin qu’il soit tenu compte de ce changement. [12] Pour sa part, l’intimée contestait l’avis de motion et elle a déposé un document de défense dans lequel elle sollicitait les mesures suivantes : 1. que soit rejetée la demande en modification de la pension alimentaire versée par l’appelant au profit des enfants; 2. qu’il soit ordonné à l’appelant de rembourser à l’intimée les sommes versées par celle-ci en remboursement de dettes qui étaient à la charge de l’appelant aux termes des dispositions de l’ordonnance du 30 mars 2007; 3. que l’appelant verse à l’intimée la somme de 15 000 $ conformément à l’ordonnance du 30 mars 2007. [13] Le juge saisi de la motion a fait les observations suivantes au début de sa décision : [TRADUCTION] [R.L.] et [S.L.] sont séparés depuis plus de sept ans.
La requête en divorce dans la présente affaire a été déposée le 5 mai 2006, mais l’audition de celle-ci a été reportée pour permettre le règlement d’un certain nombre de questions financières découlant de la séparation. M. [L.] s’est dit réticent à voir terminer la procédure de divorce avant que toutes les questions financières soient réglées. M me [L.] affirme que tant que le divorce n’aura pas été accordé, les conflits que soulèvent les questions financières continueront de s’envenimer en restant sans solution. Toutes les questions financières étaient tributaires du divorce.
Au lieu d’examiner ces deux éléments comme s’il s’agissait de questions distinctes dans le cadre d’instances séparées, il semble plus judicieux de régler de quelque façon toutes les questions en même temps. [Par. 1 à 3] [14] La décision du juge saisi de la motion suit alors le cours tracé ci-dessus. Le divorce a été prononcé pour le motif que les parties ont vécu séparément pendant plus d’un an sans qu’il y ait « attente raisonnable » de réconciliation.
Les obligations alimentaires de l’appelant au profit des enfants ont été modifiées, tel qu’il l’avait demandé, la Cour ayant conclu que son revenu annuel se chiffrait à 33 900 $. La Cour a ordonné à l’appelant de verser à l’intimée la somme de 5000 $ en remboursement des [TRADUCTION] « versements qu’elle [avait] effectués sur les dettes » énumérées dans l’ordonnance par consentement, dettes qui étaient à la charge de l’appelant.
En dernier lieu, la Cour a ordonné à l’appelant de verser à l’intimée la somme de 15 000 $ [TRADUCTION] « en remboursement intégral du solde impayé » conformément à l’ordonnance par consentement. [15] Le juge saisi de la motion a utilisé l’ordonnance par consentement du 30 mars 2007 comme fondement à l’ordonnance de mesures accessoires qu’il a rendue.
L’appelant conteste cette démarche et soutient que le juge aurait dû procéder à une nouvelle enquête et que l’ordonnance par consentement aurait dû être considérée comme un facteur permettant à la Cour d’exercer son pouvoir discrétionnaire en vertu des deux lois applicables, savoir la
Loi sur le divorce et la
Loi sur les biens matrimoniaux . À ce stade, il y a lieu de rappeler le libellé de l’ordonnance du 30 mars 2007 :
[TRADUCTION] ET ATTENDU QUE les parties ont réglé toutes les questions et souhaitent signer une ordonnance par consentement définitive qui rend compte de leur entente. [C’est moi qui souligne.] Ainsi, les parties croyaient manifestement que cette ordonnance était définitive et qu’elle tranchait tous les litiges les opposant. D. Élément de certitude et règlement définitif [16] Il existe, dans de nombreuses affaires ressortissant au droit de la famille, une tendance malsaine et destructrice à laisser perdurer les litiges.
Il ne faut pas s’en étonner; la rupture d’un mariage ou d’une relation est très chargée sur le plan émotionnel. Il revient donc aux tribunaux d’apporter, en toute impartialité, un élément de certitude et un terme à ces litiges. Il est plutôt rare que les parties à un divorce sortent heureuses et complètement indemnes de leur expérience. Or, les tribunaux n’ont pas du tout pour rôle de tenter d’atteindre pareil objectif. Plutôt, les juges sont appelés à trancher des litiges et, dans la mesure du possible, à donner aux parties le sentiment d’avoir façonné autant que se peut le résultat final.
Un accord intervenu entre les parties, qui par la suite est présenté à la Cour comme fondement à une demande d’ordonnance par consentement, donne justement aux parties ce sentiment de responsabilité face au résultat final. En l’espèce, les parties ont souscrit au fait que l’ordonnance se voulait un règlement définitif de tous les litiges entre elles. L’appelant n’a sollicité, à aucun moment, l’annulation de l’ordonnance par consentement. Il n’a pas interjeté d’appel.
L’intimée et lui se sont conformés aux dispositions de cette ordonnance pendant trois ans, jusqu’au moment où l’appelant a décidé de solliciter la modification du montant de la pension alimentaire. [17] À mon avis, le juge saisi de la motion a abordé la question qui lui était soumise de manière pragmatique, mais raisonnable, et il a choisi de mettre un terme à la procédure de divorce qui durait depuis plusieurs années. Il était justifié de procéder ainsi et je conclus qu’il n’a commis aucune erreur susceptible d’entraîner l’annulation de sa décision.
L’appelant a réussi à faire baisser le montant de la pension alimentaire mensuelle qu’il doit verser au profit des enfants. S’agissant des demandes formulées par l’intimée, tout ce que l’appelant devait faire était de se conformer aux dispositions de l’ordonnance de 2007 et de remplir ses obligations financières existantes. V. Dispositif [18] Pour les motifs énoncés ci-dessus, je suis d’avis de rejeter l’appel et d’ordonner à l’appelant de payer des dépens de 1500 $.