2017 NBCA 38, 2017 NBCA 38
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 33-16-CA NORON INC. APPELLANT NORON INC. APPELANTE - and - - et - CITY OF DIEPPE RESPONDENT VILLE DE DIEPPE INTIMÉE Noron Inc. v. City of Dieppe, 2017 NBCA 38 Noron Inc. c.
Ville de Dieppe, 2017 NBCA 38 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Larlee The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice Baird CORAM : l’honorable juge Larlee l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge Baird Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: April 25, 2016 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : le 25 avril 2016 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: Unreported Décision frappée d’appel : Inédite Preliminary or incidental proceedings: N/A Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : s.o.
Appeal heard: June 23, 2017 Appel entendu : le 23 juin 2017 Judgment rendered: September 21, 2017 Jugement rendu : le 21 septembre 2017
Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: Marie-Claude Bélanger-Richard, Q.C. and Josie H. Marks For the respondent: Paul Landry and Lizon Chiasson-Foulem Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appelante : Marie-Claude Bélanger-Richard, c.r., et Josie H. Marks Pour l’intimée : Paul Landry et Lizon Chiasson-Foulem THE COURT The appeal is allowed in part. The appellant, having been partially successful, is awarded costs of $5,000. LA COUR L’appel est accueilli en partie. Des dépens de 5 000 $ sont adjugés à l’appelante étant donné qu’elle a eu gain de cause en partie.
The following is the judgment delivered by THE COURT [ 1 ] This is an appeal by Noron Inc. (“Noron”) from the dismissal of an action in which a Judge of the Court of Queen’s Bench ordered it to pay to the respondent, the City of Dieppe (“Dieppe”), $1,048,300 plus interest and costs for user-charges for water and sewer services. I. Context [ 2 ] In 1996, Dieppe entered into negotiations with a company, Noron, for the development of 85 acres of land. The owner of Noron was in the genesis of creating a privately owned and operated mini-home park which would later be known as Dover Estates.
This was the first time Dieppe had entered such an agreement, and Dover Estates was the first mini-home park in Dieppe. [ 3 ] On October 15, 1996, the parties executed the agreement, contemplating that Dover Estates would remain a “private project”. This meant Noron would construct, own and maintain the public streets in the park, the fire hydrants, and the piping for the sanitary sewerage system, as well as the water system. The park is connected to the Dieppe sanitary sewerage system, and it relies on Dieppe for its supply of water.
The agreement was silent with respect to user-charges, and Noron submits it is this silence which insulates it from having to pay Dieppe for water and sewerage services it does not use or receive. It relies on the agreement which states the following: That the Dover Estate Mini-Home Park project be considered a private enterprise and that the Owner [Noron] be responsible to install and maintain infrastructure services, save and except the existing sewer lines owned by the Town and the Greater Moncton Sewerage Commission […]. [para. 2(c)]
[ 4 ] It is undisputed the process used by Dieppe for the passage of the resolution which authorized this project was correct. In December 1996, following the execution of the agreement, Dieppe amended its by-law respecting water and sewerage. By-law 78-5 authorizes the imposition of user-charges in order to recover the annual cost of operating, maintaining and financing the water and sewerage systems. At the time of the amendment, mini-home parks were added as a class of user, to be charged a fixed rate of one unit per mini-home for the provision of water and sewerage services.
It is this user-charge that Noron disputes. [ 5 ] Dieppe has billed Noron a user-charge according to the by-law which is equal to the amount Dieppe charges homeowners outside of Dover Estates and who are exclusively serviced by Dieppe. Noron paid the charges under protest from 1997-2007; however, as the mini-home park grew, so did the invoice from Dieppe. In 2007, Noron completed the installation of its own water supply system and it received approval from the provincial government to operate for four years. At the same time, it requested to be disconnected from the Dieppe water supply.
From 2008 to March 2012, Noron refused to pay the user-charges. In December 2011, Dieppe suddenly disconnected Dover Estates from the municipal water system. As a result, a boil water order was put in effect, and Noron operated the water system itself, until March 31, 2012, when Dover Estates was reconnected to the Dieppe water system. In April 2012, Noron resumed paying the user-charges.
By 2014 there were approximately 160 mini-homes in the park. [ 6 ] Noron objects to paying the same user-charge as other land owners in Dieppe, on the basis it owns and operates its own infrastructure, save and except its use of the municipal water supply, and the sewerage connection from Dover Estates with Dieppe. Noron asserts the user-charges are unlawful, they fall outside the authority of the municipality, they violate s. 189 of the Municipalities Act , R.S.N.B. 1973, c M-22, and the City is being unjustly enriched as a result.
Noron unsuccessfully proposed a number of solutions in an attempt to resolve the issue, and it eventually initiated legal action against Dieppe. [ 7 ] Following 30 hearing days over an 11 month period, the trial judge declared By-law 78-5 intra vires and he upheld Dieppe’s claims for reimbursement, with the exception of the period of time when Dover Estates was disconnected from Dieppe’s water system. II.
Issues [ 8 ] Essentially Noron appeals on the basis the trial judge erred in law in adjudicating the legality of water and sewer user- charges without considering and applying the legal definition of a “user-charge” as defined by the Supreme Court of Canada; and erred in law and fact by failing to find the water and sewer user-charges imposed upon Noron by Dieppe and the provisions of the pertinent by-law which purports to authorize them, are ultra vires Dieppe’s delegated power, invalid and unenforceable since: a.
Dieppe did not construct and does not operate and maintain the system as required by subsection 189(1) of the Municipalities Act , R.S.N.B. 1973, c. M-22; b. User-charges must be levied upon the user of the service, not a non-user landowner; and/or c. There is no clear nexus between the user-charges imposed and the cost of providing the service. III.
Statutory Authority [ 9 ] The relevant subsections of s. 189 of the Municipalities Act are attached as Appendix A. [ 10 ] Since Noron owns the Dover Estates Mini-Home Park and all its water and sewer infrastructure, Noron argues Dieppe has imposed charges for water and sewer services at a per-mini-home rate equivalent to that of a Dieppe homeowner being serviced by public infrastructure. At the crux of Noron’s appeal is the scope and
interpretation of s. 189. Noron argues the criteria in s. 189 that would provide Dieppe the authority to impose on it these user-charges are not satisfied. Specifically, Dieppe did not construct, operate, or maintain the water system at Dover Estates (s. 189(1)); Noron is not a “user” of the service (s. 189(4)); and the rate imposed significantly exceeds the cost of Dieppe’s provision of the service and is outside the definition of a “user-charge” (s. 189(8)). Noron seeks a declaration the charges are invalid, a reimbursement of amounts paid to date, and a declaration there will be no charge going forward (or, in the alternative, partial reimbursement and a future reduced charge).
IV. Standard of Review [ 11 ] The appeal can be compressed into answering the following questions: whether the imposition of the user-charges and the by- law which supports them are ultra vires and, if not, whether the user-charges imposed by the trial judge are based on an acceptable evidentiary foundation. The determination of whether the user-charges imposed upon Noron by Dieppe are ultra vires the powers delegated to the municipality under s. 189 , raises a question of law, no deference is owed, and the standard of review is correctness: United Taxi Drivers’ Fellowship of Southern Alberta v.
Calgary (City) , 2004 SCC 19 , [2004] 1 S.C.R. 485 , at para. 5 . The power of the courts to set aside a municipal by-law is a narrow one, and cannot be exercised simply because a by-law imposes a greater share of the tax burden on some ratepayers than on others. The standard of review applicable to the setting aside of a by-law is reasonableness: Catalyst Paper Corp. v. North Cowichan (District) , 2012 SCC 2 , [2012] 1 S.C.R. 5 . The reasonableness standard is also applicable to the trial judge's key findings concerning the calculation of the water and sewerage charges.
Whether or not the trial judge relied on inadmissible evidence raises a question of law and correctness is the review standard: Housen v. Nikolaisen , 2002 SCC 33 , [2002] 2 S.C.R. 235 , at para. 8 ; and Directcash ATM Management Partnership et al. v. Maurice’s Gas & Convenience Inc. et al. , 2015 NBCA 36 , 437 N.B.R. (2d) 292 at para. 12 . V. Analysis A. Statutory authority [ 12 ] The common law doctrine of ultra vires has historically been grounded in illegality.
If it is determined the state actor did not have the requisite statutory authority to enact a regulation, or a by-law, or if the statute itself is declared to be unconstitutional, the doctrine of ultra vires applies. In this case, there is no dispute concerning the statutory authority: Catalyst Paper Corp. (para. 12 ). [ 13 ]
Section 189 sets out the system by which a municipality provides water and sewerage on a user fee basis: Greater Shediac Sewerage Commission v. Terrio , 2000 NBCA 9 , 230 N.B.R. (2d) 70 , para. 4 . Dieppe adopted a by-law regarding these services (No. 78- 5). Was it adopted in conformity with the law? Did it permit Dieppe to bill for water and sewerage services in the manner it did regarding Noron? [ 14 ]
Section 189 grants a municipality the authority to construct, operate and maintain a water and sanitary sewerage system on a user-charge basis (s. 189(1)). Not only does the Act grant this authority, but it also permits the municipality to establish the user-charge by “one or more classes of users” (s. 189(1.2)).
Section 189(8) defines user-charge, which includes a “flat rate or charge imposed upon one or more different classes of users of the service or utility, provided the flat rate or charge is uniform within each class” (s. 189(8)(b)). [ 15 ] Noron asserts the criteria set out in s. 189(1) have not been met, in that Dieppe has never constructed, operated or maintained the water system and therefore the user-charge is illegal. To accept this submission, which would not be consistent with a broad and purposeful
interpretation, would require this Court to ignore the intention behind s. 189(14)(b), which grants the authority for the making of a charge to the owner of land, even where the connection is not made with the service, and in determining the user-charge, the municipality shall make its assessment as near as possible to what the user-charge would be if the connection had been made. It is clear, therefore, that Dieppe has the statutory authority to impose user-charges, and to establish separate classes of users for this purpose. The narrow or restrictive
interpretation of the Act which is promulgated by Noron, does not withstand scrutiny, when one reviews the Act in its entire and purposeful sense and is inconsistent, in our opinion, with the “modern approach” adopted by the Supreme Court concerning vires review. [ 16 ] We agree with the trial judge’s conclusion the by-law in question is not ultra vires . Having concluded the by-law is a valid exercise of Dieppe’s statutory authority, the next step is to determine if Dieppe implemented the by-law properly [ 17 ] In United Taxi , the Supreme Court adopted what it described as a “broad and purposive” approach to the
interpretation of municipal legislation, an approach consistent with the Court’s approach to statutory
interpretation generally (para. 8). It is this contextual approach which requires “the words of
an Act are to be read in their entire context and in their grammatical and ordinary sense harmoniously with the scheme of the Act, the object of the Act, and the intention of Parliament” (Elmer A. Driedger, Construction of Statutes , 2nd ed (Toronto: Butterworths, 1983), at p. 87). See also Bell ExpressVu Limited Partnership v. Rex , 2002 SCC 42 , [2002] 2 S.C.R. 559 , at para. 26 . See also Drapeau C.J.N.B. in Lévesque and BMG Farming Ltd. v. Province of New Brunswick and New Brunswick Crop Insurance Commission , 2011 NBCA 48 , 372 N.B.R. (2d) 202 , at para. 63 ; Agnew v. Smith , 2001 NBCA 83 , 240 N.B.R. (2d) 63 at para. 32 . This approach is consistent with the
Interpretation Act , R.S.N.B. 1973, c. I-13, s. 17 which provides:
Every Act and regulation and every provisionthereof shall be deemed remedial, and shallreceive such fair, large and liberalconstruction and
interpretation as best ensuresthe attainment of the object of the Act,regulation or provision. Toute loi, tout règlement et toute dispositionde ceux-ci sont réputés réparateurs et doiventfaire l’objet de l’interprétation large, juste etlibérale, la plus propre à assurer la réalisationde leurs objets. [18] In United Taxi, the respondents advocated for a narrow, more restrictive
interpretation of the Municipal Government Act. In it,there was a by-law concerning the number of taxi license plates that could be issued in the City of Calgary. The Supreme Courtconcluded the Municipal Government Act, S.A. 1994, c. M-26.1, did not intend to remove the municipality’s powers to limit the numberof taxi plate licenses. In applying the “broad and purposive”
interpretation, the Supreme Court found in the absence of any indication inthe Act the legislature intended to remove the municipality’s power to restrict the number of licenses, the by-law was valid. The Courtobserves “[t]he evolution of the modern municipality has produced a shift in the proper approach to the
interpretation of statutesempowering municipalities” (para. 6). See also Shell Canada Products Ltd. v. Vancouver (City), (SCC), [1994] 1S.C.R. 231, [1994] S.C.J. No. 15 (QL), at pp. 244-45. [19] In an
article entitled “Judicial Review of Modern Municipalities: Rethinking Vires Review” (2015) 73:2 UT Fac L Rev 66,lawyer Ted Brook offers an interesting analysis of the modern day approach to vires review as was explained by the Supreme Court inCatalyst Paper Corp. and United Taxi. Both decisions adopted McLachlin J.’s (as she then was) dissenting opinion in Shell CanadaProducts Ltd., which ushered in a new way of looking at the role of local government. In her dissenting opinion, she advocated for amore “flexible, more deferential” approach to municipal decision making.
Her opinion found favour with Major J. who applied it inNanaimo (City) v. Rascal Trucking Ltd., 2000 SCC 13, [2000] 1 S.C.R. 342. [20] Mr. Brook observes that absent illegality or procedural unfairness, courts are loathe to interfere with by-laws which fall withinthe powers of a municipality. However, he notes the emergence of a dichotomy in the analysis. This was observed in Friends ofLansdowne Inc. v. Ottawa (City), 2012 ONCA 273, [2012] O.J. No. 1860 (QL), where the Court reviewed the impugned by-law on thegrounds of both correctness and reasonableness. As he notes, in the eight years since Dunsmuir v.
New Brunswick, 2008 SCC 9, [2008] 1S.C.R. 190, the reasonableness standard has “engulfed” the correctness standard. In other words, the mandate of the reviewing court isstill grounded in the correctness standard, using the home statute as the appropriate measuring stick to determine statutory jurisdiction.From that point, the court must determine whether the municipal authority’s actions were reasonable, applying the contextual analysisset out by the Supreme Court in Catalyst Paper Corp. [21] The same approach was followed in Parks Canada v. Sunshine Village Corp., 2004 FCA 166, [2004] 3 F.C.R. 600.
In it, theFederal government imposed higher fees for building permits in Banff and Jasper National Parks by way of regulation pursuant to theCanada National Parks Act, S.C. 2000, c. 32. The lower court found the regulation to be ultra vires. The appeal by Parks Canada wassuccessful. The Court applied the reasoning in United Taxi, approving the contextual analysis. The Court was not prepared to readlimiting words into the legislation, and it re-affirmed the authority given to statutory bodies to manage their affairs in a mannerconsistent with the purpose of the enabling legislation.
In other words, the municipal authority, or, as in the case at bar, the Council, is inthe best position to assess whether the by-law is consistent with the purpose of the legislation, and, provided the implementation isreasonable, deference is owed to its decision making authority. [22] Noron argues the trial judge erred when he “repeatedly asked” whether the various requirements imposed by Dieppe werereasonable, thus mischaracterizing the test to be applied. They assert the trial judge misinterpreted s. 189 when he found the user-chargeswere a lawful exercise of Dieppe’s statutory authority. We disagree.
As was observed in Catalyst Paper Corp. reasonableness has beenimported from the Supreme Court’s decision in Dunsmuir. As a result, the trial judge did not err when he asked and he found Dieppe’simplementation of the by-law was reasonable. B. The user-charge analysis [23] Dover Estates is connected to the Dieppe sewerage system, and it uses the Dieppe infrastructure; therefore, it is entirelyreasonable for Dieppe to recover costs of those services in the public interest: Greater Shediac Sewerage Commission, at para. 8.
InGreater Shediac Sewerage Commission this Court found cost recovery was in the “public interest”. Noron advocates for a narrow, morerestrictive
interpretation of the Act on the basis Dieppe does not construct, operate or maintain the water system at Dover Estates, andthus, it has no costs to recoup. This approach is inconsistent with the purpose of the Act and is over simplistic. Dieppe constructs,operates and maintains the municipal infrastructure through which the water and sewerage flows in and evacuates from Dover Estates;thus, Noron does use the Dieppe infrastructure.
[24] We do note Noron is not a “user” of the service per se; however, Noron is the “owner” of the land, a fact which iscontemplated in s. 189(14). Noron submits the Act limits the class of users who could be subject to a user-charge and it does not fallunder any of the described classes. They assert that in reality, Dieppe has imposed a tax, under the guise of a user-charge, a clearviolation of their authority: Westbank First Nation v. British Columbia Hydro and Power Authority, (SCC), [1999] 3S.C.R. 134, [1999] S.C.J. No. 38 (QL), at para. 30; and 620 Connaught Ltd. v.
Canada (Attorney General), 2008 SCC 7, [2008] 1 S.C.R.131, at para. 19. [25] Noron submits further if this Court finds it is a user of the Dieppe infrastructure, it falls into a different class of user, and itshould not be required to pay the same user-charge as other users in the same class, such as other mini-home parks who operatedifferently. They assert Dieppe has been unjustly enriched as a result. They rely on Clark v. Fairvale (Village) (1990), (NB CA), 104 N.B.R. (2d) 412, [1990] N.B.J.
No. 227 (QL) as authority in which Ayles J.A. in allowing the appeal, concluded the ratescharged were not rationally referable to use but were arbitrarily set at a flat rate (para. 34). [26] In Kingstreet Investments Ltd. v. New Brunswick (Finance), 2007 SCC 1, [2007] 1 S.C.R. 3, the Supreme Court concludes theunjust enrichment analysis is “ill- suited” to deal with the issue of taxes on the basis a taxpayer who has made his or her paymentspursuant to legislation that is declared to be ultra vires is entitled to restitution on the basis of constitutional principles.
In it, the Provinceof New Brunswick assessed a user-charge to the owner of a night club for the purchase of alcohol from the New Brunswick LiquorCorporation by way of Regulation to the Liquor Control Act, R.S.N.B. 1973, c. L-10. (s. 200(3)). The trial judge concluded the user-charge was an indirect tax and the Regulation was declared ultra vires. The Court upheld the trial judge’s decision and dealt with theissue of restitution to the user, who had passed the tax on to their patrons.
Bastarache J. agreed with the opinion expressed by RobertsonJ.A., there was “no general immunity affecting recovery of an illegal tax” (para. 12). On the issue of unjust enrichment, he concluded,“[f]or the above reasons, I would conclude the ordinary principles of unjust enrichment should not be applied to claims for the recoveryof monies paid pursuant to a statute held to be unconstitutional” (para. 39). [27] In this case therefore, the unjust enrichment claim would only apply if By-law 78-5 were found to be ultra vires. We concludeDieppe has the statutory authority to impose user-charges upon Noron.
However, the assessment of the user-charges must be undertakenin consideration of the use of the Dieppe services. C. Assessment of user-charges [28] Having determined the imposition of the user-charges was intra vires we turn to the question of whether the trial judge madean error with respect to his determination of the average consumption at a mini-home at Dover Estates. Noron had Mr. Paul Bradleyqualified as an expert witness: a chartered business accountant and chartered business evaluator, in the field of accounting matters,business valuation and loss quantification. Mr.
Bradley undertook a detailed analysis of Dieppe’s financial statements from 1997 to 2013to determine the portion of water user-charges received by Dieppe which were spent on infrastructure repairs and maintenance. Hetestified while the amounts varied per year from a high of 71% in 1998 to a low of 35% in 2006, the average over the 17-year period was45%. [29] These figures, which were taken from Dieppe’s own financial statements, were not contested by any witnesses called byDieppe, including its treasurer from 1986 to 2013, its current treasurer or its financial expert.
Noron submits the trial judge erred in lawand in fact in finding the charges imposed by Dieppe upon Noron met the definition of user-charge. Dieppe’s cost of providing water tomini-homes at Dover Estates is nearly half its cost to provide water to homes in other neighbourhoods.
Noron contends it is arbitrary andunlawful for Dieppe to levy the same rate per mini-home at Dover Estates as it does for other homes. [30] Noron further submits the trial judge committed an error regarding consumption levels, in finding the average consumption ata mini-home at Dover Estates would be equal to the average consumption at homes located in other Dieppe neighbourhoods.
Inherently,in billing Noron at a rate of one unit per mini-home, Dieppe assumes the average consumption per mini-home at Dover Estates is 760liters of water per day, which is the household average in other Dieppe neighbourhoods. [31] To challenge this assumption, Noron led evidence of water consumption by a mini-home park metered by the Town ofRiverview. This mini-home park is the same size as Dover Estates with a water system approximately the same age and having the sametype of pipes and hydrants.
Invoices from the Town of Riverview entered into evidence, confirmed the metered water consumption ofthe 156 homes at that park during the two years prior to trial. The evidence showed water consumption per mini-home was 434 liters perday, almost 40% less than the average daily consumption of 760 liters per day which underlies the per unit rate levied by Dieppe uponNoron. This was the only evidence of water consumption by mini-homes put before the court.
[ 32 ] This evidence was proffered by an affidavit of Anne-Marie Snyder, the manager of the Riverview park, as permitted by Rule 55.02 of the Rules of Court . Dieppe declined its right to cross-examine Ms. Snyder. As submitted by Noron, this constituted tangible evidence of water consumption of mini-homes and was the best evidence available, given the absence of data from the Dover Estates Park which has no water meter. [ 33 ] Noron submits the trial judge’s decision to discount the figures provided by Ms.
Snyder as speculative, and to instead rely upon hearsay and the court’s own speculation, constitutes a palpable and overriding error. We agree with Noron the trial judge made an error in relying on speculative and hearsay evidence with respect to the determination of the average consumption at a mini-home at Dover Estates. We conclude that relying on inadmissible evidence constitutes an error of law, is owed no deference, and this ground of appeal must succeed. [ 34 ] Dieppe did not provide contrary evidence of consumption at mini-home parks.
Although its Director of Engineering testified that, to Dieppe, mobile homes and mini-homes are basically the same, Dieppe declined to provide its water consumption data from the Chartersville Mobile Home Park in Dieppe which is metered. The trial judge relied upon an extract from an impact study completed in 1996 prior to the construction of Dover Estates, and used the speculative computation of 80 imperial gallons per person per minute to assess whether the water pressure in the area was sufficient to service Dover Estates. The impact study was prepared by a witness who did not testify.
We agree the trial judge’s reliance on this information as better evidence of water consumption in mini-home parks, rather than relying on actual data from a nearby mini-home park, constitutes an error.
The judge based his conclusions on his own opinion rather than the evidence before him. [ 35 ] If the proper evidentiary foundation were present we would undertake an assessment of the charges that should have been levied (appropriate fees to be charged) pursuant to Rule 1.02.1: Proportionality In applying these rules, the court shall make orders and give directions that are proportionate to what is at stake in the proceeding and the importance and complexity of the issues.
Proportionnalité Lorsqu’elle applique les présentes règles, la cour rend des ordonnances et donne des directives qui sont proportionnées aux enjeux de l’instance ainsi qu’à l’importance et à la complexité des questions en litige. See Canadian Union of Public Employees, Local 821 v. Vitalité Health Network (Zone 1B) , 2015 NBCA 3 , 429 N.B.R. (2d) 158 , per Drapeau C.J.N.B. paras. 55-59. [ 36 ] Unfortunately, in this case we do not have the evidence before us to undertake a proper analysis of the assessment of the charges.
The trial judge rejected the best evidence he had before him, but did not provide any reasons for doing so. Perhaps there was a valid reason, but we are left to wonder why. The trial judge did rely on evidence that was outdated, having been prepared in 1996, and based on presumptions. As a consequence, this matter must be returned to the trial judge for its proper disposition. VI. Disposition [ 37 ] We, therefore, remit for determination the issue of the assessment of user-charges to the trial judge. The appeal is accordingly allowed in part.
Since the appellant is partially successful it is entitled to costs which we fix at $5,000. ____________________________________ M.E.L. LARLEE, J.A.
_____________________________________ KATHLEEN A. QUIGG, J.A. ______________________________________ BARBARA L. BAIRD, J.A. Version française de la décision rendue par LA COUR [1] La Noron Inc. (« Noron ») interjette appel du rejet d’une action dans laquelle un juge de la Cour du Banc de la Reine lui a ordonné de verser à l’intimée, la ville de Dieppe (« Dieppe »), la somme de 1 048 300 $ plus les intérêts et les dépens au
titre de redevances d’usage pour des services d’adduction d’eau et d’égouts. I. Contexte [2] En 1996, Dieppe a entamé des négociations avec une société, la Noron, en vue de l’aménagement d’un terrain de 85 acres. Le propriétaire de la Noron en était au tout début d’un projet d’aménagement d’un parc de maisons préfabriquées mobiles détenu et exploité par des intérêts privés qui devait par la suite porter le nom de Domaine Dover.
C’était la première fois que Dieppe passait une convention de ce genre et le Domaine Dover était le premier parc de maisons préfabriquées mobiles aménagé dans Dieppe. [3] Le 15 octobre 1996, les parties ont signé la convention en prévoyant que le Domaine Dover resterait un [TRADUCTION] « projet privé ». Cela signifiait qu’il appartiendrait à la Noron de construire et d’entretenir les rues publiques situées à l’intérieur du parc, les bornes d’incendie et les canalisations du réseau d’égouts pour eaux usées ainsi que le réseau d’alimentation en eau dont elle serait propriétaire.
Le parc est raccordé au réseau d’égouts pour eaux usées de Dieppe, et Dieppe l’approvisionne en eau. La convention était muette au sujet des redevances d’usage et la Noron fait valoir que c’est la raison pour laquelle elle n’est pas tenue de payer à Dieppe des services d’adduction d’eau et d’égouts qu’elle n’utilise pas ou ne reçoit pas.
Elle se fonde sur la convention dont voici un extrait : [TRADUCTION] Que le projet de parc de maisons préfabriquées mobiles Domaine Dover soit considéré comme une entreprise privée et que la propriétaire [la Noron] soit responsable de l’installation et de l’entretien des services d’infrastructure, à l’exception des canalisations d’égouts existantes qui sont la propriété de la Ville et de la Commission d’épuration des eaux usées du Grand Moncton […]. [al. 2c)] [4] La validité du processus auquel Dieppe a eu recours pour adopter la résolution autorisant le projet n’est pas contestée.
En décembre 1996, après la passation de la convention, Dieppe a modifié son arrêté qui régissait les réseaux d’eau et d’égouts. L’arrêté 78-5 autorise l’imposition de redevances d’usage afin de recouvrer le coût annuel d’exploitation, d’entretien et de financement des réseaux d’eau et d’égouts. Au moment de la modification, les parcs de maisons préfabriquées mobiles ont été ajoutés à
titre de catégorie d’usagers, une taxe fixe d’une unité par maison préfabriquée mobile leur étant facturée pour bénéficier des services d’adduction d’eau et d’égouts. C’est cette redevance d’usage que la Noron conteste. [5] Conformément à l’arrêté municipal, Dieppe a facturé à la Noron une redevance d’usage dont le montant est identique à celui
que Dieppe fait payer aux propriétaires fonciers établis à l’extérieur du Domaine Dover et qui sont exclusivement desservis par Dieppe. La Noron a payé les frais en question sous toute réserve de 1997 à 2007; toutefois, plus le parc de maisons préfabriquées mobiles prenait de l’expansion, plus la facture envoyée par Dieppe augmentait. En 2007, la Noron a terminé l’installation de son propre système d’alimentation en eau et le gouvernement provincial lui a donné l’autorisation de l’exploiter pendant quatre ans. Parallèlement, elle a demandé son débranchement du réseau d’approvisionnement en eau de Dieppe.
De 2008 au mois de mars 2012, la Noron a refusé de payer les redevances d’usage. En décembre 2011, Dieppe a soudainement débranché le Domaine Dover du réseau municipal d’alimentation en eau. De ce fait, un ordre d’ébullition d’eau a été imposé et la Noron a exploité elle-même le réseau d’alimentation en eau, et ce, jusqu’au 31 mars 2012, date à laquelle le Domaine Dover a de nouveau été raccordé au réseau de Dieppe. En avril 2012, la Noron a repris le versement des redevances d’usage.
En 2014, le nombre de maisons préfabriquées mobiles installées dans le parc s’élevait à environ 160. [6] La Noron s’oppose au paiement des mêmes redevances d’usage que les autres propriétaires fonciers de Dieppe en faisant valoir qu’elle possède et exploite ses propres infrastructures, exception faite de son utilisation du réseau municipal d’alimentation en eau et le branchement du Domaine Dover aux égouts de Dieppe. La Noron soutient que les redevances d’usage sont illégales, qu’elles échappent à la compétence de la municipalité, qu’elles violent l’art. 189 de la
Loi sur les municipalités , L.R.N.-B. 1973, ch. M-22, et que la Ville s’enrichit de ce fait de manière injustifiée. La Noron a proposé en vain un certain nombre de solutions pour tenter de régler la question et elle a finalement intenté une action en justice contre Dieppe. [7] À l’issue de 30 jours d’audience sur une période de 11 mois, le juge du procès a déclaré l’arrêté municipal 78-5 comme étant de la compétence de Dieppe et il a maintenu ses demandes de remboursement, sauf pendant la période où le Domaine Dover était déconnecté du réseau d’alimentation en eau de Dieppe. II.
Questions en litige [8] Essentiellement, la Noron fonde son appel sur le fait que le juge du procès a commis une erreur de droit en se prononçant sur la légalité des redevances d’usage pour l’eau et les égouts sans prendre en considération la façon dont la Cour suprême du Canada a défini l’expression « redevance d’utilisation » ni appliquer cette définition juridique, et qu’il a également commis une erreur de droit et de fait en ne concluant pas que les redevances d’usage pour l’eau et les égouts imposées à la Noron par Dieppe ainsi que les dispositions de l’arrêté municipal pertinent qui sont censées les autoriser outrepassent le pouvoir délégué dont jouit Dieppe et sont donc invalides et inexécutoires étant donné que : a.
Dieppe n’a pas construit le réseau et ne l’exploite et ne l’entretient pas comme le prescrit le paragraphe 189(1) de la
Loi sur les municipalités , L.R.N.-B. 1973, ch. M-22; b. le paiement des redevances d’usage doit être exigé de l’usager du service, et non d’un propriétaire foncier qui n’utilise pas le service; et/ou c. il n’y a pas de lien clair entre les redevances d’usage imposées et le coût de prestation du service. III. Pouvoir d’origine législative [9]
Les paragraphes pertinents de l’art. 189 de la
Loi sur les municipalités se trouvent à l’annexe A ci-jointe. [10] Étant donné que la Noron est propriétaire du parc de maisons préfabriquées mobiles Domaine Dover et de la totalité de ses infrastructures concernant l’alimentation en eau et les égouts, elle fait valoir que Dieppe lui a imposé, au
titre des services d’adduction d’eau et d’égouts, des redevances dont le montant par maison mobile est équivalent à celui que paye un propriétaire foncier de Dieppe qui bénéficie des infrastructures publiques. La portée et l’interprétation de l’art. 189 sont au cœur de l’appel de la Noron. La Noron affirme que les critères énoncés à l’ art. 189 qui conféreraient à Dieppe le pouvoir de lui imposer de telles redevances d’usage ne sont pas remplis.
Plus particulièrement, Dieppe n’a pas construit, exploité, ni entretenu le réseau d’alimentation en eau du Domaine Dover (par. 189(1)), la Noron n’est pas un « usager » du service (par. 189(4)) et la taxe imposée dépasse largement le coût de prestation du service par Dieppe et n’est pas couverte par la définition d’une « redevance d’usage » (par. 189(8)).
La Noron demande à la Cour de déclarer les redevances invalides, d’ordonner le remboursement des sommes payées jusqu’à ce jour et de déclarer qu’aucune redevance ne sera plus facturée à l’avenir (ou, subsidiairement, d’ordonner un remboursement partiel et une redevance réduite à l’avenir). IV. Norme de contrôle
[11] L’appel peut se résumer aux deux grandes questions suivantes : l’imposition des redevances d’usage et l’arrêté municipal qui leur sert de fondement sont-ils ultra vires et, si ce n’est pas le cas, les redevances d’usage imposées par le juge du procès sont-elles étayées par des éléments de preuve acceptables.
La question de savoir si les redevances d’usage que Dieppe a imposées à la Noron sont ultra vires les pouvoirs délégués à la municipalité en vertu de l’ art. 189 soulève une question de droit, de sorte qu’il n’y a pas lieu de faire preuve de déférence, et la norme de contrôle est celle de la décision correcte : United Taxi Drivers’ Fellowship of Southern Alberta c. Calgary (Ville) , 2004 CSC 19 , [2004] 1 R.C.S. 485 , au par. 5 .
Les tribunaux jouissent d’un pouvoir restreint pour annuler un arrêt municipal et ce pouvoir ne peut être exercé simplement parce que l’arrêté en cause impose une part plus lourde du fardeau fiscal à certains contribuables plutôt qu’à d’autres. La norme de contrôle applicable à l’annulation d’un arrêté municipal est celle de la décision raisonnable : Catalyst Paper Corp. c. North Cowichan (District) , 2012 CSC 2 , [2012] 1 R.C.S. 5 . La norme de contrôle de la décision raisonnable s’applique également aux conclusions clés du juge du procès au sujet du calcul des redevances d’eau et d’égouts.
La question de savoir si le juge du procès s’est fondé ou non sur une preuve irrecevable soulève une question de droit qui doit être contrôlée au moyen de la norme de la décision correcte : Housen c. Nikolaisen , 2002 CSC 33 , [2002] 2 R.C.S. 235 , au par. 8 , et Directcash ATM Management Partnership et autres c. Maurice’s Gas & Convenience Inc. et autres , 2015 NBCA 36 , 437 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 292 , au par. 12 . V. Analyse A. Pouvoir d’origine législative [12] Historiquement, la doctrine de l’ ultra vires de la common law a été fondée sur la notion d’illégalité.
S’il est déterminé que le représentant de l’État n’était pas doté du pouvoir légal nécessaire pour adopter un règlement ou un arrêté municipal, ou si le texte de loi lui-même est déclaré inconstitutionnel, la doctrine de l’ ultra vires s’applique. En l’espèce, il n’existe aucune contestation en ce qui concerne le pouvoir légal : Catalyst Paper Corp. (par. 12 ). [13] L’article 189 définit le système qui habilite une municipalité à fournir des services d’adduction d’eau et d’égouts en imposant des frais aux usagers : Greater Shediac Sewerage Commission c. Terrio , 2000 NBCA 9 , 230 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 70 , par. 4 .
Dieppe a adopté un arrêté municipal régissant ces services (arrêté n o 78-5). A-t-il été adopté conformément à la loi? Permettait-il à Dieppe de facturer des services d’adduction d’eau et d’égouts comme elle l’a fait en ce qui concerne la Noron? [14] L’article 189 confère à une municipalité le pouvoir de construire, d’exploiter et d’entretenir un réseau d’alimentation en eau et un réseau d’égouts pour eaux usées contre paiement d’une redevance d’usage (par. 189(1)).
Non seulement la Loi lui confère-t-elle ce pouvoir, mais elle habilite également la municipalité à établir au sujet de la redevance d’usage « une ou plusieurs catégories d’usagers » (par. 189(1.2)).
Le paragraphe 189(8) définit l’expression « redevance d’usage » qui comprend une « taxe ou redevance unique imposée à une ou plusieurs catégories d’usagers du service pour autant que cette taxe ou redevance unique soit uniforme dans chaque catégorie » (al. 189(8) b )). [15] La Noron affirme que les critères énoncés au par. 189(1) n’ont pas été remplis en ce sens que Dieppe n’a jamais construit, exploité, ni entretenu le réseau d’alimentation en eau, de sorte que la redevance d’usage est illégale.
Pour accepter cette thèse, qui ne serait pas compatible avec une interprétation libérale et téléologique, il faudrait que notre Cour passe outre à l’intention qui sous-tend l’al. 189(14) b ), qui confère le pouvoir d’imposer une redevance au propriétaire foncier, et ce, même lorsqu’il ne se relie pas au service, la municipalité devant, lorsqu’elle fixe la redevance d’usage, imposer le montant le plus proche possible de ce que serait la redevance si le raccordement avait été réalisé.
Il est donc clair que Dieppe a le pouvoir légal d’imposer des redevances d’usage et d’établir à cette fin des catégories distinctes d’usagers. L’interprétation étroite ou restrictive de la Loi que préconise la Noron ne résiste pas à une analyse minutieuse lorsque l’on examine la Loi dans son sens global et fondé sur l’objet et elle est à notre avis incompatible avec la « méthode moderne » que la Cour suprême a adoptée relativement à la question de la compétence. [16] Nous souscrivons à la conclusion du juge du procès selon laquelle l’arrêté municipal en question n’est pas ultra vires .
Une fois que l’on a conclu que l’adoption de l’arrêté municipal en cause constitue un exercice valide du pouvoir légal dévolu à Dieppe, l’étape suivante consiste à déterminer si Dieppe a convenablement mis en application cet arrêté. [17] Dans l’arrêt United Taxi , la Cour suprême a adopté ce qu’elle a décrit comme une interprétation « téléologique large » des lois sur les municipalités, une interprétation compatible avec l’approche générale adoptée par la Cour en matière d’interprétation législative (par. 8).
C’est cette interprétation contextuelle qui exige de [TRADUCTION] « lire les termes d’une loi dans leur contexte global en suivant le sens ordinaire et grammatical qui s’harmonise avec l’esprit de la loi, l’objet de la loi et l’intention du législateur » (Elmer A. Driedger, Construction of Statutes , 2 e éd. (Toronto : Butterworths, 1983), à la p. 87). Voir également Bell ExpressVu Limited Partnership c. Rex , 2002 CSC 42 , [2002] 2 R.C.S. 559 , au par. 26 . Voir également les motifs du juge Drapeau, juge en chef du
Nouveau-Brunswick, dans l’arrêt Lévesque et BMG Farming Inc. c. Province du Nouveau-Brunswick et Commission de l’assurance- récolte du Nouveau-Brunswick, 2011 NBCA 48, 372 R.N.-B. (2e) 202, au par. 63; Agnew c. Smith, 2001 NBCA 83, 240 R.N.-B. (2e) 63,au par. 32. Cette méthode est compatible avec l’article 17 de la Loi d’interprétation, L.R.N.-B. 1973, ch. I-13, dont voici le texte : Every Act and regulation and every provisionthereof shall be deemed remedial, and shallreceive such fair, large and liberalconstruction and
interpretation as best ensuresthe attainment of the object of the Act,regulation or provision. Toute loi, tout règlement et toute dispositionde ceux-ci sont réputés réparateurs et doiventfaire l’objet de l’interprétation large, juste etlibérale, la plus propre à assurer la réalisationde leurs objets. [18] Dans l’arrêt United Taxi, les intimés préconisaient une interprétation stricte, plus restrictive de la Municipal Government Act.Ils contestaient un règlement régissant le nombre de plaques de taxi qui pouvaient être délivrées dans la Ville de Calgary.
La Coursuprême a conclu que le législateur de la Municipal Government Act, S.A. 1994, c. M-26.1, n’avait pas l’intention de supprimer lepouvoir de la municipalité de limiter le nombre de plaques de taxi. L’application d’une interprétation « téléologique large » a permis à laCour suprême de conclure qu’en l’absence de toute indication dans la Loi que l’intention du législateur était de supprimer le pouvoir dela municipalité de limiter le nombre de plaques, le règlement municipal était valide.
La Cour a observé que « [l]’évolution de lamunicipalité moderne a entraîné un virage dans la démarche à adopter pour interpréter les lois habilitant les municipalités » (par. 6). Voir également l’arrêt Produits Shell Canada Ltée c. Vancouver (Ville), (SCC), [1994] 1 R.C.S. 231, [1994] A.C.S. no 15(QL), aux p. 244 et 245. [19] Dans un
article intitulé « Judicial Review of Modern Municipalities: Rethinking Vires Review » (2015), 73:2 Rev. dr. UT 66,l’avocat Ted Brook présente une analyse intéressante de la méthode moderne d’analyse de la compétence que la Cour suprême aexpliquée dans les arrêts Catalyst Paper Corp. et United Taxi. Dans ces deux décisions, la Cour a adopté l’opinion dissidente que la jugeMcLachlin (tel était alors son titre) avait formulée dans l’arrêt Produits Shell Canada Ltée, ce qui a ouvert une nouvelle ère dans la façonde concevoir le rôle des administrations locales.
Dans son opinion dissidente, elle a préconisé une méthode « souple et pluscirconspecte » d’interprétation des pouvoirs municipaux. Le juge Major s’est rallié à son opinion et l’a appliquée dans l’arrêt Nanaimo(Ville) c. Rascal Trucking Ltd., 2000 CSC 13, [2000] 1 R.C.S. 342. [20] M. Brook fait observer qu’en l’absence d’une illégalité ou d’un manquement à l’équité procédurale, les tribunaux répugnent àintervenir lorsqu’il s’agit d’arrêtés municipaux qu’une municipalité a le pouvoir d’adopter. Toutefois, il note l’apparition d’unedichotomie dans l’analyse.
Cette évolution a été observée dans l’arrêt Friends of Lansdowne Inc. c. Ottawa (City), 2012 ONCA 273,[2012] O.J. No. 1860 (QL), dans lequel la Cour a contrôlé l’arrêté municipal contesté selon les normes de la décision correcte et de ladécision raisonnable. Comme il l’indique, au cours des huit années qui se sont écoulées depuis l’arrêt Dunsmuir c.
Nouveau-Brunswick,2008 CSC 9, [2008] 1 R.C.S. 190, la norme de la décision raisonnable a [TRADUCTION] « absorbé » celle de la décision correcte.Autrement dit, le mandat de la cour de révision s’appuie toujours sur la norme de la décision correcte, la loi constitutive servantd’instrument de mesure approprié pour déterminer la compétence d’origine législative.
À partir de là, la cour doit déterminer si les actesde l’autorité municipale étaient raisonnables en appliquant l’analyse contextuelle que la Cour suprême a énoncée dans l’arrêt CatalystPaper Corp. [21] La même démarche a été suivie dans l’arrêt Parks Canada c. Sunshine Village Corp., 2004 CAF 166, [2004] 3 R.C.F. 600.Dans cette affaire, le gouvernement fédéral avait imposé des droits plus élevés pour les permis de construire dans les parcs nationaux deBanff et de Jasper au moyen d’un règlement pris en vertu de la
Loi sur les parcs nationaux du Canada, L.C. 2000, ch. 32. Le tribunald’instance inférieure avait conclu que le règlement était ultra vires. Parcs Canada a interjeté appel et obtenu gain de cause. La Cour aappliqué le raisonnement suivi dans United Taxi et approuvé l’analyse contextuelle. La Cour a refusé de présumer que le texte de loirenfermait une limite et elle a réaffirmé le pouvoir dont jouissent les organismes créés par une loi de gérer leurs affaires d’une manièreconforme à l’objet de la loi habilitante.
Autrement dit, l’autorité municipale ou, comme c’est le cas en l’espèce, le conseil est dans lameilleure position pour déterminer si l’arrêté municipal cadre avec l’objet du texte de loi et, à condition que sa mise en application soitraisonnable, il y a lieu de faire preuve de déférence à l’égard de son pouvoir décisionnel. [22] La Noron soutient que le juge du procès a commis une erreur en [TRADUCTION] « demandant à de nombreuses reprises » siles différentes exigences imposées par Dieppe étaient raisonnables, faisant ainsi une mauvaise interprétation du critère qu’il fautappliquer.
Elle plaide que le juge du procès a mal interprété l’art. 189 lorsqu’il a conclu que l’imposition des redevances d’usageconstituait un exercice légal du pouvoir que la loi confère à Dieppe. Nous ne sommes pas d’accord. Comme on l’a observé dans l’arrêtCatalyst Paper Corp., la norme de la raisonnabilité a été importée de la décision que la Cour suprême a rendue dans Dunsmuir. Il endécoule que le juge du procès n’a commis aucune erreur en demandant si Dieppe avait mis en application l’arrêté municipal de manièreraisonnable et en concluant que tel était le cas.
B. L’analyse de la redevance d’usage [23] Le Domaine Dover est raccordé au réseau d’égouts de Dieppe et utilise les infrastructures de Dieppe; par conséquent, il esttout à fait raisonnable que Dieppe recouvre le coût de ces services dans l’intérêt public : Greater Shediac Sewerage Commission, aupar. 8. Dans l’arrêt Greater Shediac Sewerage Commission, notre Cour a déterminé que le recouvrement du coût était dans « l’intérêtpublic ».
La Noron préconise une interprétation stricte, plus restrictive de la Loi au motif que Dieppe ne construit, n’exploite oun’entretient pas le réseau d’alimentation en eau du Domaine Dover et n’a donc aucun coût à recouvrer. Une telle approche estincompatible avec l’objet de la Loi en plus d’être simpliste.
En effet, Dieppe construit, exploite et entretient les infrastructuresmunicipales qui permettent d’acheminer l’eau au Domaine Dover et d’en évacuer les eaux usées; par conséquent, la Noron utilise bel etbien les infrastructures de Dieppe. [24] Nous prenons bonne note que la Noron n’est pas en soi un « usager » du service; cependant, la Noron est la « propriétaire »des terrains, ce qui est prévu au par. 189(14). La Noron allègue que la Loi limite les catégories d’usagers qui pourraient se voir imposerune redevance d’usage et qu’elle n’appartient à aucune des catégories.
Elle affirme qu’en réalité, Dieppe a imposé une taxe sous lecouvert d’une redevance d’usage, ce qui constitue une violation claire du pouvoir qui lui est dévolu : Première nation de Westbank c. British Columbia Hydro and Power Authority, (SCC), [1999] 3 R.C.S. 134, [1999] A.C.S. no 38 (QL), au par. 30; et620 Connaught Ltd. c.
Canada (Procureur général), 2008 CSC 7, [2008] 1 R.C.S. 131, au par. 19. [25] La Noron fait en outre valoir que si la Cour conclut qu’elle est un usager des infrastructures de Dieppe, elle entre dans unecatégorie d’usagers différente et ne devrait donc pas être tenue de payer la même redevance que les autres usagers appartenant à la mêmecatégorie, comme les autres parcs de maisons préfabriquées mobiles qui sont exploités différemment. Elle affirme que Dieppe s’estinjustement enrichie de ce fait. Elle invoque à
titre de précédent l’affaire Clark c. Fairvale (Village) (1990), (NB CA), 104 R.N.-B. (2e) 412, [1990] A.N.-B. no 227 (QL), dans laquelle le juge d’appel Ayles a conclu, en accueillant l’appel, que les tarifsn’étaient pas reliés, selon une formule rationnelle, à l’utilisation, mais étaient fixés arbitrairement en fonction d’une taxe unique(par. 34). [26] Dans l’arrêt Kingstreet Investments Ltd. c.
Nouveau-Brunswick (Finances), 2007 CSC 1, [2007] 1 R.C.S. 3, la Cour suprêmearrive à la conclusion que l’analyse axée sur l’enrichissement sans cause « se prête mal » aux questions que soulèvent les taxes au motifqu’un contribuable qui a effectué ses paiements en vertu de dispositions législatives qui sont ensuite déclarées ultra vires a droit à unerestitution sur le fondement de principes constitutionnels.
Dans cet arrêt, la Province du Nouveau-Brunswick imposait à une propriétairede boîtes de nuit, pour l’achat d’alcool à la Société des alcools du Nouveau-Brunswick, une redevance d’exploitation prescrite par unrèglement pris en vertu de la
Loi sur la règlementation des alcools, L.R.N.-B. 1973, ch. L-10. (par. 200(3)). Le juge du procès avaitconclu que la redevance d’exploitation était une taxe indirecte et le règlement avait été déclaré ultra vires. La Cour a confirmé ladécision du juge du procès et s’est penchée sur la question de la restitution à l’usager, lequel avait transféré le coût de la taxe à sesclients. Le juge Bastarache a souscrit à l’opinion exprimée par le juge d’appel Robertson selon laquelle « aucune immunité généralen’est applicable au recouvrement d’une taxe illégale » (par. 12).
Sur la question de l’enrichissement sans cause, il a tiré la conclusionsuivante : « Pour les motifs exposés ci-dessus, je conclurais qu’il n’y a pas lieu d’appliquer les principes ordinaires de l’enrichissementsans cause aux demandes de recouvrement de sommes payées en vertu d’une loi déclarée inconstitutionnelle » (par. 39). [27] Par conséquent, en l’espèce, l’allégation d’enrichissement sans cause ne s’appliquerait que si l’arrêté municipal 78-5 étaitdéclaré ultra vires. Nous concluons que Dieppe a le pouvoir légal d’imposer des redevances d’usage à la Noron.
Toutefois, l’impositiondes redevances d’usage doit se faire en fonction de l’utilisation des services de Dieppe. C. Évaluation des redevances d’usage [28] Ayant déterminé que l’imposition des redevances d’usage était intra vires, nous passons à la question de savoir si le juge duprocès a commis une erreur dans son calcul de la consommation moyenne d’une maison préfabriquée mobile au Domaine Dover. LaNoron a obtenu que M. Paul Bradley soit reconnu à
titre de témoin expert : il s’agit d’un expert-comptable et d’un expert en évaluationd’entreprise spécialiste des questions comptables, de l’évaluation des entreprises et de la quantification des pertes. M. Bradley s’est livréà une analyse détaillée des états financiers de Dieppe de 1997 à 2013 afin de déterminer quel était le pourcentage des redevances d’usagereçues qui était affecté à la réparation et à l’entretien des infrastructures.
Dans son témoignage, il a déclaré que le pourcentage variaitselon l’année entre un maximum de 71 % en 1998 et un minimum de 35 % en 2006, la moyenne étant de 45 % sur la période de 17 ans. [29] Ces chiffres, qui étaient tirés des états financiers de Dieppe, n’ont été contestés par aucun des témoins que Dieppe a appelés àla barre, dont son trésorier de 1986 à 2013, son trésorier actuel ou son expert financier.
La Noron affirme que le juge du procès a commisune erreur de droit et de fait en concluant que les redevances que Dieppe avait imposées à la Noron satisfaisaient à la définition del’expression « redevance d’usage ». Le coût supporté par Dieppe pour alimenter en eau les maisons préfabriquées mobiles du DomaineDover s’élève à environ la moitié du coût d’approvisionnement en eau des maisons qui se trouvent dans d’autres quartiers. La Noron
affirme que Dieppe agit de manière arbitraire et illégale en imposant la même taxe unitaire aux maisons préfabriquées mobiles qu’aux autres maisons. [30] La Noron fait en outre valoir que le juge du procès a commis une erreur en ce qui concerne les niveaux de consommation en concluant que la consommation moyenne d’une maison préfabriquée mobile du Domaine Dover serait égale à celle des maisons situées dans d’autres quartiers de Dieppe.
Fondamentalement, en facturant à la Noron une taxe fixe d’une unité par maison préfabriquée mobile, Dieppe suppose que la consommation moyenne de ce type de maison au Domaine Dover est de 760 litres d’eau par jour, ce qui est la moyenne dans les autres quartiers de Dieppe. [31] Pour contester cette hypothèse, la Noron a produit en preuve la consommation en eau d’un parc de maisons préfabriquées mobiles équipées d’un compteur d’eau de la Town of Riverview.
Ce parc de maisons préfabriquées mobiles est de la même taille que celui du Domaine Dover et il est doté d’un réseau d’alimentation en eau qui est environ du même âge, avec les mêmes types de canalisations et de bornes d’incendie. Les factures de la Town of Riverview déposées en preuve confirmaient la consommation d’eau au compteur des 156 maisons de ce parc au cours des deux années précédant le procès.
La preuve montrait que la consommation en eau par maison préfabriquée mobile était de 434 litres par jour, soit près de 40 % de moins que la consommation quotidienne moyenne de 760 litres qui est à la base de la taxe fixe par unité que Dieppe imposait à la Noron. Il s’agissait du seul élément de preuve au sujet de la consommation en eau des maisons préfabriquées mobiles à avoir été présenté à la Cour. [32] La preuve a été recueillie au moyen d’un affidavit d’Anne-Marie Snyder, la gérante du parc de Riverview, comme le permet la règle 55.02 des Règles de procédure .
Dieppe a renoncé à son droit de contre-interroger M me Snyder. Selon la thèse de la Noron, il s’agissait là d’une preuve tangible de la consommation d’eau des maisons préfabriquées mobiles et de la meilleure preuve possible en l’absence de données du parc Domaine Dover où il n’y a pas de compteurs d’eau. [33] La Noron soutient que la décision du juge du procès de ne pas tenir compte des chiffres fournis par M me Snyder en les qualifiant de spéculatifs et de se fonder plutôt sur le ouï-dire et sur les conjectures de la Cour constitue une erreur manifeste et dominante.
Nous convenons avec la Noron que le juge du procès a commis une erreur en se fondant sur une preuve relevant de la conjecture et sur une preuve par ouï-dire pour déterminer la consommation moyenne d’une maison préfabriquée mobile au Domaine Dover. Nous concluons que le fait de se fonder sur une preuve irrecevable constitue une erreur de droit et ne commande donc aucune déférence, de sorte que ce moyen d’appel doit être accueilli. [34] Dieppe n’a produit aucune preuve contraire relativement à la consommation moyenne dans les parcs de maisons préfabriquées mobiles.
Bien que son directeur de l’ingénierie ait témoigné que Dieppe considérait les maisons mobiles et les maisons préfabriquées mobiles comme essentiellement identiques, Dieppe a refusé de présenter les chiffres de la consommation d’eau du parc de maisons préfabriquées mobiles Chartersville à Dieppe qui est doté de compteurs d’eau.
Le juge du procès s’est fondé sur un extrait d’une étude d’impact effectuée en 1996, avant la construction du parc Domaine Dover, qui utilisait une hypothèse de 80 gallons impériaux par personne par minute pour évaluer si la pression d’eau dans le secteur était suffisante pour alimenter le parc Domaine Dover. L’étude d’impact a été préparée par un témoin qui n’a pas comparu.
Nous convenons que le fait que le juge du procès se soit fondé sur cette information en la considérant comme la meilleure preuve de la consommation en eau dans les parcs de maisons préfabriquées mobiles, au lieu de s’en remettre aux données effectives provenant d’un autre parc analogue voisin, constitue une erreur.
Le juge a fondé ses conclusions sur sa propre opinion plutôt que sur la preuve dont il disposait. [35] Si nous disposions d’une preuve appropriée, nous procéderions à une évaluation des redevances qui auraient dû être imposées (les droits appropriés à facturer) conformément à la règle 1.02.1 : Proportionality In applying these rules, the court shall make orders and give directions that are proportionate to what is at stake in the proceeding and the importance and complexity of the issues.
Proportionnalité Lorsqu’elle applique les présentes règles, la cour rend des ordonnances et donne des directives qui sont proportionnées aux enjeux de l’instance ainsi qu’à l’importance et à la complexité des questions en litige. Voir Syndicat canadien de la fonction publique,
section locale 821 c. Réseau santé Vitalité (Zone 1B) , 2015 NBCA 3 , 429 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 158 , motifs du juge Drapeau, juge en chef du Nouveau-Brunswick, par. 55 à 59.
[36] Malheureusement, nous ne disposons pas en l’espèce de la preuve nécessaire pour entreprendre une analyse appropriée de l’évaluation des redevances. Le juge du procès a rejeté la meilleure preuve qui lui avait été présentée sans expliquer pourquoi il l’a fait. Il avait peut-être une raison valable, mais nous ne pouvons que nous demander pourquoi il a agi ainsi. Le juge du procès s’est bel et bien fondé sur des éléments de preuve qui étaient dépassés, puisqu’ils remontaient à 1996, et qui étaient basés sur des conjectures.
Il en découle que la présente affaire doit être renvoyée au juge du procès pour qu’il en dispose comme il se doit. VI. Dispositif [37] Nous renvoyons par conséquent au juge du procès la question de l’évaluation des redevances d’usage. L’appel est accueilli en partie. Étant donné que l’appelante a obtenu gain de cause en partie, elle a droit aux dépens que nous fixons à 5 000 $. APPENDIX A /
ANNEXE A 189
(1) Where under this Act a municipality provides (
a) water, or (
b) a sanitary sewerage system, the municipality shall construct, operate and maintain such service or utility on a user- charge basis, which may be established on an amortized or any other basis as to the municipality shall seem fit, and may establish a separate or joint rate therefor. […] 189
(1.2) A municipality may establish, with respect to a user-charge under subsection (1.1), one or more classes of users depending on prior payments by the user in relation to the cost of the work and the user- charge may vary within each class. […] 189
(4) When operating a service or utility under this section, a municipality or commission shall make such charges to the user of the service or utility as to produce 189
(1) Dans le cas où une municipalité fournit en application de la présente loi
a) l’approvisionnement en eau, ou
b) un réseau d’égouts pour eaux usées, la construction, l’exploitation et l’entretien par la municipalité de ce service doivent se faire contre paiement d’une redevance d’usage et son financement peut se faire par voie d’amortissement ou de toute autre façon selon ce qu’elle juge indiquée; elle peut également établir un tarif distinct ou commun pour la prestation de ces services. […] 189
(1.2) Une municipalité peut établir, au sujet de la redevance d’usage visée au paragraphe (1.1), une ou plusieurs catégories d’usagers en fonction des paiements déjà versés par l’usager pour le coût du travail; la redevance d’usage peut aussi varier au sein d’une catégorie quelconque. […] 189
(4) Lorsqu’elle exploite un service en application du présent article, une municipalité ou régie doit imposer à l’usager du service le paiement de redevances suffisantes pour assurer
(
a) an annually balanced budget, or (
b) a quadrennially balanced budget. […] 189
(8) When used in this section, “user- charge” includes (
a) a rate or charge calculated by measuring the consumption of the service or utility being supplied by means of a meter or other mechanical device, (
b) a flat rate or charge imposed upon one or more different classes of users of the service or utility, provided the flat rate or charge is uniform within each class, (
c) a separate charge for each type of plumbing fixture installed in the premises receiving the service or utility, ( c.1 ) with respect to a service referred to in subsection (1) or (1.1), a rate or charge based upon the frontage of the property in respect of which the service is provided, that may be imposed upon one or more classes of users of the service and that may vary within each class; (
d) with respect to sanitary sewer service, a rate or charge based upon a percentage of the water service charge, or (
e) any combination of the rates or charges described in paragraphs ( a ), ( b ), ( c ), ( c.1 ) and ( d ), but does not include (
f) a rate or charge calculated by reference to the value of the real property in respect of
a) un budget annuel équilibré, ou
b) un budget quadriennal équilibré. […] 189
(8) L’expression « redevance d’usage » comprend, lorsqu’elle est employée dans le présent article,
a) une taxe ou redevance calculée par la mesure de la consommation du service fourni au moyen d’un compteur ou de tout autre dispositif mécanique,
b) une taxe ou redevance unique imposée à une ou plusieurs catégories d’usagers du service pour autant que cette taxe ou redevance unique soit uniforme dans chaque catégorie,
c) une redevance distincte pour chaque type d’appareils fixes de plomberie installés dans les locaux bénéficiant du service, c.1 ) en ce qui concerne un service visé au paragraphe (1) ou (1.1), une taxe ou redevance basée sur la mesure de la façade du bien bénéficiant du service fourni qui peut être imposée à une ou plusieurs catégories d’usagers du service et varier au sein d’une catégorie quelconque;
d) en ce qui a trait au service d’égouts pour eaux usées, une taxe ou redevance fondée sur un certain pourcentage de la redevance pour le service d’eau, ou
e) toute combinaison des taxes ou redevances mentionnées aux alinéas a ), b ), c ), c.1 ) et d ), mais ne comprend pas
f) une taxe ou redevance calculée en fonction des biens réels pour lesquels le service est fourni. […]
which the service or utility is being supplied. […] 189
(14) Where a municipality or a commission provides a service referred to in subsection (1) or (1.1), such municipality or commission may by by-law (
a) compel the owner of a building standing on land by which the service line runs to connect up with the service, or (
b) make a charge to the owner of such land where the connection is not made with the service. 189
(14) Une municipalité ou régie qui fournit un service visé au paragraphe (1) ou (1.1) peut, par voie d’arrêté,
a) obliger le propriétaire d’un bâtiment érigé sur le bien-fonds que dessert la canalisation de service à s’y raccorder, ou
b) imposer une redevance au propriétaire lorsqu’il ne se relie pas à ce service.