2021 NBCA 11, 2021 NBCA 11
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 49-20-CA HER MAJESTY THE QUEEN in right of the PROVINCE OF NEW BRUNSWICK as represented by the Minister of Transportation APPELLANT SA MAJESTÉ LA REINE du chef de la PROVINCE DU NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK, représentée par le ministre des Transports APPELANTE - and - - et - PAUL EMILE SOUCY RESPONDENT PAUL EMILE SOUCY INTIMÉ Her Majesty the Queen (Minister of Transportation) v. Soucy, 2021 NBCA 11 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice Green The Honourable Justice French Sa Majesté la Reine (ministre des Transports) c.
Soucy, 2021 NBCA 11 CORAM : l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge Green l’honorable juge French Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: April 22, 2020 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : le 22 avril 2020 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: [2020] N.B.J. No. 128 (QL) Décision frappée d’appel : [2020] A.N.-B. n o 128 (QL) Preliminary or incidental proceedings: None Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : aucune Appeal heard: November 25, 2020 Appel entendu : le 25 novembre 2020
Judgment rendered: March 4, 2021 Jugement rendu : le 4 mars 2021 Reasons for judgment: The Honourable Justice Quigg Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Green The Honourable Justice French Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: Richard A. Williams, Q.C. For the respondent: Anthony Stanley Richardson and Romain J. F. Viel Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge Quigg Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Green l’honorable juge French Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appelante : Richard A. Williams, c.r. Pour l’intimé : Anthony Stanley Richardson et Romain J. F.
Viel THE COURT The appeal is allowed with costs of $3,000. LA COUR L’appel est accueilli avec dépens de 3 000 $ . The judgment of the Court was delivered by QUIGG, J.A. I. Introduction [ 1 ] The issue to be addressed in this appeal is whether, in claims of injurious affection arising from expropriations, the combined effect of s. 2(2) and other provisions of the Expropriation Act , R.S.N.B. 1973, c. E-14 , excludes the application of a general limitation period under the Limitation of Actions Act , S.N.B. 2009, c. L-8.5 (“current Act ”), or the Limitation of Actions Act , R.S.N.B. 1973, c. L-8 . (“former Act ”).
This is a novel question that has not been specifically addressed in New Brunswick. II. Facts [ 2 ] On December 23, 1992, Her Majesty the Queen in Right of the Province of New Brunswick, as represented by the Minister of Transportation (the “Province”), expropriated portions of land owned by Paul Emile Soucy for highway construction. [ 3 ] On May 20, 1993, the Province made a statutory offer and tender of $11,121 to Mr. Soucy under s. 37(1) of
the Expropriation Act . Mr. Soucy provided written particulars for compensation for injurious affection within one year of expropriation, as required under s. 47(1) of the Expropriation Act , which is acknowledged by the Province. Following Mr. Soucy’s written notice, neither party attempted to negotiate a settlement of the claim for injurious affection for years. [ 4 ] On April 30, 2013, 20 years and four months after the expropriation took place, a law firm representing Mr. Soucy filed a Notice of Arbitration to commence proceedings in the Court of Queen’s Bench.
Under the Expropriation Act and the General Regulation – Expropriation Act , N.B. Reg. 84-11, s. 4(2) , the Notice of Arbitration constitutes an originating process. [ 5 ] On December 3, 2018, the Province filed a motion under Rule 23.01(1) (
a) of the Rules of Court , seeking a determination of a question of law, namely whether Mr. Soucy’s Notice of Arbitration was statute-barred by application of s. 9 of the former Act , or s. 5 of the current Act . [ 6 ] On April 22, 2020, a judge dismissed the motion, holding the applicable limitation period is prescribed by the Expropriation Act . With leave, the Province appeals this decision on the ground the judge erred in law in his
interpretation of s. 2(2) of the Expropriation Act . III. Ground of Appeal [ 7 ] The Province raises a single ground of appeal: did the motion judge err in law in determining the Limitation of Actions Act does not apply to an expropriation proceeding instituted under the Expropriation Act ? IV. Standard of Review [ 8 ] This Court has stated on many occasions that the applicable standard of review for questions of statutory
interpretation is correctness (see Northrup v. Windsor Energy Inc. et al. , 2017 NBCA 37 , [2017] N.B.J. No. 219 (QL), at para. 36 ; Eastland Industries Limited v. Casey , 2016 NBCA 57 , [2016] N.B.J. No. 299 (QL) , at para. 36 ). V. Analysis A. Relevant Legislative Provisions [ 9 ] The relevant provisions of the former Act are:
3. No action for any sum of money given to the party aggrieved by any Act or Statute, or for any penalty, shall be brought but within two years after the cause of action arose. R.S., c.133, s.3. 9. No other action shall be commenced but within six years after the cause of action arose. R.S., c.133, s.9. 24. Nothing in this Act extends to any action where the time for bringing the action is by statute specially limited. R.S., c.133, s.24. 64. This Act applies to all causes of action whether the same arose before or after the coming into force of this Act. R.S., c.133, s.64. 3 . Toute action en recouvrement de toute somme d’argent accordée à la
partie lésée par une loi ou de toute pénalité se prescrit par deux ans à compter de la naissance de la cause d’action. S.R., c.133, art.3. 9. Toute autre action se prescrit par six ans à compter de la naissance de la cause d’action. S.R., c.133, art.9. 24. Rien dans la présente loi ne s’étend à une action dont le délai de prescription est spécialement fixé par une loi. S.R., c.133, art.24. 64 . La présente loi s’applique à toutes les causes d’action nées avant ou après son entrée en vigueur. S.R., c.133, art.64. [ 10 ] The relevant provisions of the current Act are:
General limitation periods 5
(1) Unless otherwise provided in this Act, no claim shall be brought after the earlier of (
a) two years from the day on which the claim is discovered, and (
b) fifteen years from the day on which the act or omission on which the claim is based occurred. 5
(2) A claim is discovered on the day on which the claimant first knew or ought reasonably to have known (
a) that the injury, loss or damage had occurred, (
b) that the injury, loss or damage was caused by or contributed to by
an act or omission, and (
c) that the act or omission was that of the defendant. Délais de prescription ordinaires 5
(1) Sauf disposition contraire de la présente loi, toute réclamation se prescrit par celui des délais ci-dessous qui expire le premier :
a) deux ans à compter du jour où sont découverts les faits y ayant donné naissance;
b) quinze ans à compter du jour où a eu lieu l’acte ou l’omission sur lequel elle est fondée. 5
(2) Les faits ayant donné naissance à la réclamation sont découverts le jour où le réclamant a appris ou aurait dû normalement apprendre :
a) que sont survenus les préjudices, les pertes ou les dommages;
b) que les préjudices, les pertes ou les dommages ont été causés entièrement ou en
partie par un acte ou une omission;
c) que l’acte ou l’omission était le fait du défendeur. [ 11 ] Finally, the relevant provisions of the Expropriation Act are:
(2) Where there is a conflict between a provision of this Act and a provision of any other general or special Act that does not expressly state that it supersedes this Act, the provision of this Act applies. 31
(1) Where a statutory authority and an owner have not agreed upon the compensation payable under this Act in respect of an expropriation or injurious affection authorized by this Act, and, in the case of expropriation,
section 37 has been complied with or the time for compliance therewith by the statutory authority has expired, or, in the case of injurious affection,
section 47 has been complied with, either the statutory authority or the owner may invoke the jurisdiction of the Court to settle any dispute between them by serving upon the other of them and the Court a notice of arbitration. 47
(1) Subject to subsection (2), a claim for compensation for injurious affection shall be made by the person suffering the damage or loss in writing with particulars of the claim within one year after the damage was sustained or after it became known to him, and, if not so made, the right to compensation is forever barred. 2
(2) En cas de conflit entre les dispositions de la présente loi et celles de toute autre loi d’intérêt général ou particulier qui n’indiquent pas expressément leur priorité, celles de la présente loi s’appliquent. 31
(1) Lorsqu’une autorité légale et un propriétaire ne sont pas d’accord sur l’indemnité à payer en application de la présente loi relativement à une expropriation ou à un préjudice autorisés par la présente loi, et, dans le cas d’une expropriation, lorsqu’il a été satisfait aux dispositions de l’article 37 ou que l’autorité légale n’a pas satisfait, aux dispositions de cet
article dans le délai fixé, ou, dans le cas d’un préjudice, lorsqu’il a été satisfait aux dispositions de l’article 47, soit l’autorité légale, soit le propriétaire peut saisir la Cour pour régler le litige entre eux en signifiant à l’autre
partie et à la Cour un avis d’arbitrage. 47
(1) Sous réserve du paragraphe (2), une demande d’indemnisation d’un préjudice doit se faire par écrit par la personne qui subit le dommage ou la perte, en indiquant les chefs de la demande, dans l’année qui suit la date à laquelle elle a subi le dommage ou en a eu connaissance et, passé ce délai, elle est définitivement déchue du droit à indemnisation. [ 12 ] Additionally, s. 4(2) of the General Regulation – Expropriation Act states: “ A notice of arbitration shall be deemed to be an originating process within the meaning of Rule 16 of the Rules of Court .” [ 13 ] Both parties recognize that, in theory, a limitation of actions act could apply to a claim under expropriation legislation; however, Mr.
Soucy maintains that, in New Brunswick, all limits to a claim for compensation under the Expropriation Act must be found in that statute. If this submission is not accepted, it does not matter which version of the Limitation of Actions Act applies because Mr. Soucy’s claim would be statute-barred by either. [ 14 ] It appears the version of the Limitation of Actions Act that is in play is the former one. In any event, if the current statute applies, Mr. Soucy’s action is statute-barred regardless. B.
Did the motion judge correctly determine the applicable limitation period is contained in the Expropriation Act ? [ 15 ] In the decision, the motion judge set out the issues as: 1) does the Limitation of Actions Act apply to Mr. Soucy’s claim? and 2) if so, is the present claim barred by it? [ 16 ] With respect to the first issue he set out, the motion judge determined: This Court has read the whole Expropriation Act , as well its present version and its various versions since December of 1992, being the year when Mr. Soucy’s land were expropriated. […]
These sections bring this Court to the understanding and conclusion that the Expropriation Act is meant and intended to encompass allthe time limits that are relevant to a claim for compensation, the sort of which Mr. Soucy has filed at bar. This Court is reinforced it its opinion and
interpretation in reading particularly subsection 2(2) of said Expropriation Act that reads asfollows: […] Furthermore, this Court has found, nowhere in the Limitations of Action Act any expressed statement that the Limitations of Actions Actwould supersede the Expropriation Act.
For all of the above reasons, this Court finds and declares that the Limitation of Actions Act of New Brunswick, be it in it’s actual orformer versions, going back to 1992, simply does not apply to the present matter proceeding under the Expropriation Act. [paras. 11-16] [17] He went on to say: The above analysis and conclusions, dealing with the “First Issue” raised in this matter, shall accordingly serve as a final resolution ofthis motion, as the only remedy that was sought in the Notice of Motion, as filed by The Minister on December 3rd, 2018, was to seekthat the present proceeding be declared statute barred pursuant to the Limitations of Actions Act. [para. 19] [18] The expropriation of land through statutory authority is a significant governmental interference with privateproperty rights.
As Cory J. stated in Toronto Area Transit Operating Authority v. Dell Holdings Ltd., (CSC), [1997] 1S.C.R. 32, [1997] S.C.J. No. 6 (QL): […] To take all or part of a person’s property constitutes a severe loss and a very significant interference with a citizen’s private propertyrights. It follows that the power of an expropriating authority should be strictly construed in favour of those whose rights have beenaffected.
This principle has been stressed by eminent writers and emphasized in decisions of this Court. […] [para. 20] [19] The Expropriation Act aims “to fully compensate a land owner whose property has been taken”: Dell Holdings,at para. 23. As such, it should be interpreted in a broad and purposive manner to substantively achieve its aim. [20] Subsection 2(2) of the Expropriation Act indicates that, unless expressly stated to the contrary, when a conflictarises between it and another Act, the provisions of the Expropriation Act apply. Subsection 2(2) operates as a non obstante provision inthe event a
section of the Expropriation Act is contradicted by a
section of another statute. [21] The Supreme Court provided some guidance that is consistent with the above analysis in Lévis (City) v.Fraternité des policiers de Lévis Inc., 2007 SCC 14, [2007] 1 S.C.R. 591. Citing Professor Côté, Bastarache J. said a conflict occurs“when two pieces of legislation are directly contradictory or where their concurrent application would lead to unreasonable or absurdresults” (para. 47). To illustrate just how much overlap is allowed, he turned to the Court’s decision in Toronto Railway Co. v. Paget(1909), (SCC), 42 S.C.R. 488, [1909] S.C.J.
No. 60 (QL), where it was held there was no conflict between an Actproviding for a fine for passengers on a train who did not pay for a ticket and who refused “to quit the car,” and another Act providingfor their removal from the train. Anglin J. (as he then was) said: “It is not enough to exclude the application of the general Act that itdeals somewhat differently with the same subject-matter. It is not ‘inconsistent’ unless the two provisions cannot stand together” (p.499). [22] As an example of conflict, the Court in Lévis cited its previous decision in Massicotte v. Boutin, (CSC), [1969] S.C.R. 818.
In that case, the general provision of the Supreme Court Act, R.S.C. 1952, c. 259, allowing for theextension of time to appeal whether before or after the time limit had expired was held to conflict with the more specific period
established in the Divorce Act , 1968 (Can.), 16-17 Eliz. II, c. 24, allowing an extension only before the time limit had expired. [ 23 ] Therefore, where it is possible that two statutes can apply, both apply, unless they are in conflict. [ 24 ] The Province submits the motion judge erred in law by deciding that the Expropriation Act is intended to encompass all the time limits that are relevant to a claim for compensation. From the Province’s submissions: 18. The legal error was a failure to correctly interpret subsection 2(2) of the Expropriation Act .
The Court below read that subsection as saying that the Expropriation Act operates independently of any other Act. In fact, the provision merely states that where a provision in another general or special Act conflicts with a provision in the Expropriation Act , the provision in the other Act ceases to operate, unless expressly stated to override the provision of the Expropriation Act . 19. The Province submits that the correct
interpretation of subsection 2(2) of the Expropriation Act is that if a limitation period is contained in the Expropriation Act and it conflicts with the six years general limitation period contained in the then in force
section 9 of the Limitation of Actions Act , the provision of the Expropriation Act applies. 20. The Province submits that no limitation period is contained in the Expropriation Act and, therefore,
section 9 of the then in force Limitation of Actions Act applies […]. [ 25 ] As noted above, s. 9 of the former Act stated: “No other action shall be commenced but within six years after the cause of action arose.” It should be noted the term “action” was broadly defined in s. 1 of the former Act to encompass much more than just a proceeding brought by writ of summons. That term was defined to mean “any civil proceeding, including any civil proceeding by or against the Crown.” Clearly, the term “action” includes Mr. Soucy’s claim. [ 26 ] Mr.
Soucy argues s. 47(1) contains a limitation period applicable to all claims for injurious affection and further submits the Expropriation Act provides a comprehensive statutory scheme that alleviates concerns that are generally addressed by limitation periods. C. Injurious Affection and Limitation Periods [ 27 ] The Expropriation Act lists four heads of compensation available to landowners: 38
(1) Where the land of an owner is expropriated, the compensation to the owner shall be based upon (
a) the market value of the land, (
b) damages attributable to disturbance, (
c) damages for injurious affection , (
d) any special economic advantage arising out of his occupation of the land that is not reflected in the market value of the land[.] [Emphasis added.] 38
(1) Lorsque le bien-fonds d’un propriétaire est exproprié, l’indemnité à verser au propriétaire doit être fondée sur
a) la valeur marchande du bien,
b) les dommages attribuables au trouble de jouissance,
c) les dommages causés par un préjudice ,
d) tout avantage économique particulier résultant de son occupation du bien-fonds, qui n’est pas reflété dans la valeur marchande du bien-fonds[.] [C’est moi qui souligne.] [ 28 ] The Expropriation Act provides two
definitions of the term “injurious affection”: one for when no land is taken, and another for when there is a partial taking of land. The definition relevant to this case is as follows:
“injurious affection” means, (
a) where a statutory authority takes part ofthe land of an owner, (
i) the reduction in market value therebycaused to the remaining land of the owner bythe taking or by the construction of the worksthereon or by the use of the works thereon orany combination of them, and (ii) such personal and business damagesresulting from the construction or use, orboth, of the works as the statutory authoritywould be liable for if the construction or usewere not under the authority of a statute […] and for the purpose of this definition, part ofthe land of an owner shall be deemed to havebeen taken where the owner retains landcontiguous to that taken or retains land ofwhich the use was enhanced by unifiedownership with that taken[.] « préjudice » désigne,
a) lorsqu’une autorité légale s’approprie unepartie du bien-fonds d’un propriétaire, (
i) la diminution de la valeur marchande de lapartie restante du bien-fonds du propriétaire,causée par l’appropriation, par la constructiond’ouvrages sur ce bien-fonds, par l’utilisationdes ouvrages s’y trouvant ou par la réunionde plusieurs de ces éléments, et (ii) le dommage personnel et commercial,résultant de la construction ou de l’utilisationdes ouvrages ou des deux à la fois, dontl’autorité légale serait responsable si laconstruction ou l’utilisation n’intervenait pasen vertu d’une loi […] et, pour l’application de la présentedéfinition, une
partie du bien-fonds d’unpropriétaire est réputée avoir fait l’objetd’une appropriation lorsque le propriétaireconserve un bien-fonds contigu à celui qui aété l’objet de l’appropriation ou conserve unbien-fonds dont la valeur d’utilisation étaitaccrue lorsqu’il ne formait qu’une seulepropriété avec celui qui a fait l’objet del’appropriation[.] [29] Of the four bases for compensation listed in s. 38(1), injurious affection is the only one for which theExpropriation Act provides specific procedural guidelines related to time. [30] Fundamental to establishing whether there is a conflict between the Expropriation Act and the Limitation ofActions Act is determining whether s. 47(1) operates as a limitation.
It is clearly a time limit, which, if missed, precludes a claim beingbrought. The question is whether s. 47 controls when an originating process may be issued, in contrast to the Limitation of Actions Act,which clearly does. A conflict would arise if s. 47 operated as a regular limitation period that bars the bringing of claims after a specifiednumber of years; however, that is not what s. 47 does. Rather, it bars a claim in the absence of written particulars.
This, in my view, doesnot amount to an originating process. [31] It has previously been determined in the Court of Queen’s Bench that failing to provide the Province withwritten particulars of a claim for injurious affection within the prescribed one-year period after the damage has been sustained by, or hasbecome known to, the landowner bars the landowner from compensation for the damage: R.P.B. Construction Ltée v. Nouveau-Brunswick (Ministre des Transports) (1995), (NB BR), 168 N.B.R. (2d) 365 at paras. 44-45, [1995] N.B.J. No. 519(QL), at paras. 35-36. In R.P.B.
Construction, Deschênes J. (as he then was) determined that providing particulars in accordance with s.47(1) of the Expropriation Act operates as a procedural prerequisite for a claim, without which the claim is barred. I agree. [32] The Province acknowledges it received written particulars from Mr. Soucy in accordance with s. 47(1) of theExpropriation Act. However, the Province submits this is separate from filing a legal proceeding with the court and thus fromcommencing a civil proceeding. Again, I agree.
In my view, providing particulars to the Province in accordance with s. 47(1) does notconstitute commencing proceedings according to Rule 16.01 of the Rules of Court of New Brunswick:
16.01 How Proceedings Commenced
(1) Unless provided otherwise by an Act, all civil proceedings, except a counterclaim against a plaintiff only or a cross-claim, shall be commenced by issuing an originating process.
(2) An originating process is issued when the original, a copy, and the filing fee prescribed by these rules (
a) are delivered to the office of the clerk of the judicial district in which the proceeding is to be commenced, or (
b) are sent by prepaid registered mail or prepaid courier addressed to the clerk of the judicial district in which the proceeding is to be commenced. 16.01 Comment introduire une instance
(1) Sauf prescription contraire d’une loi, toute instance civile, à l’exception d’une demande reconventionnelle contre un demandeur seulement ou d’une demande entre défendeurs, doit être introduite par l’émission d’un acte introductif d’instance.
(2) L’acte introductif d’instance est émis lorsque l’original, une copie et le droit de dépôt prescrit par les présentes règles sont
a) délivrés au greffe de la circonscription judiciaire où l’instance doit être introduite ou
b) envoyés par poste recommandée affranchie, ou par messagerie affranchie, adressée au greffier de la circonscription judiciaire où l’instance doit être introduite. [ 33 ] The Expropriation Act provides a mechanism for invoking the jurisdiction of the court. According to s. 30(2) of the Expropriation Act : 30
(2) Subject to the other provisions of this section, to
section 31 and to such procedural requirements as are established by regulation, the jurisdiction of the Court may be invoked by any party to a dispute by filing with the Court a notice of arbitration setting out such information as the Court directs and by serving a copy thereof upon the other party. [Emphasis added.] 30
(2) Sous réserve des autres dispositions du présent article, de l’article 31 et des formalités de procédure établies par règlement, une
partie à un différend peut saisir la Cour en signifiant à l’autre
partie et en remettant à la Cour un avis d’arbitrage indiquant les renseignements que prescrit la Cour ainsi qu’en en signifiant copie à l’autre partie. [C’est moi qui souligne.] [ 34 ] Further, the General Regulation – Expropriation Act specifies a Notice of Arbitration is an originating process, the issuance of which constitutes commencing proceedings under Rule 16 . Subsections 4 (2) and (3) of the Regulation state: 4
(2) A notice of arbitration shall be deemed to be an originating process within the meaning of Rule 16 of the Rules of Court . 4
(3) The Rules of Court apply to a notice of arbitration with such changes as are necessary. 4
(2) Un avis d’arbitrage est réputé être un acte introductif d’instance au sens de la Règle 16 des Règles de procédure. 4
(3) Les Règles de procédure s’appliquent avec les changements nécessaires à un avis d’arbitrage. [ 35 ] By providing the particulars of his claim for injurious affection to the Province, Mr. Soucy did not commence a civil proceeding in the Court of Queen’s Bench.
[ 36 ] Subsection 47(1) of the Expropriation Act establishes a time limit for a procedural prerequisite to a claim for injurious affection, but it does not act as a time limit for filing the originating process with the court.
It therefore does not operate as a limitation period equivalent to the provisions in either version of the Limitation of Actions Act and is therefore not in direct conflict with them. [ 37 ] The mere fact a statutory provision operates to bar a claim if certain procedural requirements are not met does not necessarily bring that provision into conflict with the prescribed limitation period, which requires civil proceedings before the courts be commenced within a certain time period.
There are several examples of statutory provisions that bar claims in such a way without conflicting with the Limitation of Actions Act . The Proceedings Against the Crown Act , R.S.N.B. 1973, c. P-18 , provides an example. Therein, s. 15(1) states no action lies against the Crown unless two months’ notice is given in writing. Another such example is s. 181 of the Local Governance Act , S.N.B. 2017, c. 18 , which bars claims if notice is not given to the local government within 90 days of the event that gives rise to the municipality’s liability.
Further examples are found in the Mechanics’ Lien Act , R.S.N.B. 1973, c. M-6 . This list is not meant to be exhaustive; rather, it is intended to illustrate that multiple “time limits” may bar a claim without being in conflict. In the absence of a conflict, both statutes apply. [ 38 ] If s. 47(1) had addressed the time for filing an originating process, then, in the event of a conflict with the Limitation of Actions Act , by operation of s. 2(2) of the Expropriation Act , s. 47(1) would have prevailed.
Compare, for example, s. 42 of the British Columbia Expropriation Act , R.S.B.C. 1996, c. 125 , which is similar to our s. 47(1), but requires a claim be made “to the court” and a claim be filed with the court within one year after the damage under s. 41(3) . I note in passing that interpreting s. 47(1) as having the same meaning as the British Columbia provision would not assist Mr. Soucy since he did not commence proceedings within one year of suffering damage. The Province agreed Mr. Soucy complied with s. 47(1) by providing particulars in writing. Subsection 47(1) requires nothing more.
Finally, other tribunals have come to the same conclusion when interpreting similar legislation (see Dartmouth Crossing Limited (Re) , 2015 NSUARB 48 ; R. v. Research Island AG (N.S.C.A.) , [1994] N.S.J. No. 246 (QL) (C.A.) ; Halifax (Regional Municipality) v. Irving Oil Ltd. , 1998 NSCA 169 , [1998] N.S.J. No. 419 (QL) ). [ 39 ] This conclusion is reinforced by the structure of s. 31(1) of the Expropriation Act . It allows the court’s jurisdiction to be invoked only where “[…]
section 47 has been complied with […]”. This means the plaintiff may not assert any claim before the courts in the absence of compliance with s. 47. Indeed, even the expropriation authority cannot ask the court to resolve the dispute unless there has been compliance with s.
Section 47 does not limit the time within which to file an originating process in the form of a notice of arbitration. Since the
section is silent in that regard, it follows it is not in conflict with the provisions of the applicable Limitation of Actions Act . D. Other Limitation Periods [ 40 ] Since s. 47(1) does not conflict with the Limitation of Actions Act , Mr.
Soucy must then point to another provision of the Expropriation Act that does; otherwise, both statutes will apply, and his originating process will have been filed out of time. [ 41 ] The only other provision invoked is s. 31(1), which, as noted, allows the owner to “invoke the jurisdiction of the Court to settle any dispute.” The argument is that, for the Limitation of Actions Act to apply, the words “so long as the owner does so within the limitation period” would have to be read into s. 31(1). This argument has no merit.
If it did, then any statutory cause of action in court would be in conflict with the Limitation of Actions Act . This would be absurd. Subsection 31(1) simply confers jurisdiction on the court in case of compliance with s. 47. It does not preclude the application of, nor is it in conflict with, the Limitation of Actions Act . [ 42 ] If the language of s. 31(1) were different, a conflict might result. For instance, in Canada v. Milne , 2018 FCA 113 , [2018] F.C.J. No. 594 (QL) , the federal Expropriation Act , R.S.C., 1985, c. E-21 , was pitted against the Ontario Limitation Act 2002 , S.O. 2002, c. 24, Sched. B .
The Crown alleged the Ontario Act applied to an action for compensation for expropriation. Section 31(1) (
a) of the Expropriation Act (Canada) states, “[…] a person […] may […] at any time after the registration of a notice of confirmation, if no offer […] has been accepted by him […] commence proceedings […]” (emphasis added). Laskin J.A. held this provision directly conflicted with the Ontario legislation, which otherwise would have applied by virtue of s. 39(1) of the Federal Courts Act , R.S.C. 1985, c. F-7 .
It is easy to observe a conflict between expropriation legislation allowing the commencement of proceedings “at any time after” and limitation of actions legislation prohibiting the commencement of proceedings after a certain time. However, our Expropriation Act does not say that proceedings may be commenced at any time , but rather that proceedings may be commenced. It is therefore impossible, on the wording of the section, to find a conflict between s. 31(1) of our Expropriation Act and our Limitation of Actions Act . See also Calgary (City) v. Lafarge Canada Inc. , 1995 ABCA 313 , [1995] A.J.
No. 724 (QL). [ 43 ] It should be noted the legislative provision at issue in Milne , s. 31(1) of the Expropriation Act (Canada) , in subpara. 31(1)(a)(ii), allows actions to be commenced “ within one year after the acceptance […] in any other case […]” (emphasis
added). That strengthens the argument that there was a derogation from the general limitation periods that would otherwise apply, sincethe legislator in the same
section turned their minds to limitation periods. No such consideration appears to have been given in thecompensation sections of our Expropriation Act; no provision allows some proceedings to be commenced “at any time” and others,within a time limit. There is only the power to proceed to court to settle disputes. This, again, cannot be a conflict with the Limitation ofActions Act. [44] Having successively rejected ss. 47 and 31 of the Expropriation Act as constituting a conflict with theLimitation of Actions Act, I find there are no temporal references to originating processes and the commencement of proceedings in theExpropriation Act. Two
interpretations could flow from this: 1) the Legislature did not intend any limitation periods to apply to actionsfor compensation under the Expropriation Act; or 2) the Legislature intended the provisions of the Limitation of Actions Act to apply,which is the purpose of a general limitation period. [45] It is difficult to justify the first
interpretation. The application of the Limitation of Actions Act could easily havebeen expressly ousted by the Expropriation Act. Given the Expropriation Act is silent on limitation periods within which to bring a claimfor compensation, it is consistent with the principles of statutory
interpretation to decide the Limitation of Actions Act should apply. As stated by Elmer A. Driedger in Construction of Statutes, 2nd ed. (Toronto: Butterworths, 1983): If the overlapping provisions, whether in the same statute or not, are not in conflict, then the question is whether they both operate withrespect to a particular situation or whether only one operates.
It would seem that prima facie both operate, unless there is something toindicate that the legislature intended one provision to be exhaustive or exclusive […] [p. 235] [46] This is logical because it is open to the Legislature to expressly deal with cases of conflict or to provide thatother statutes shall not apply to proceedings brought under a particular statutory scheme. For instance, the Arbitration Act, R.S.N.B.2014, c. 100, states it applies to an arbitration agreement, except, inter alia, where the International Commercial Arbitration Act,R.S.N.B. 2011, c. 176, applies.
The Expropriation Act contains no analogous provision that excludes the application of the Limitation ofActions Act. [47] Further, our Expropriation Act, passed in 1973, reflects the recommendations of the Law Reform Commissionof British Columbia Report on Expropriation (Project No. 5) (Vancouver: Law Reform Commission of British Columbia, 1971), andAlberta Law Reform Institute, Expropriation (Report No. 12) (Edmonton: Alberta Law Reform Institute, 1973): E.C.E. Todd, The Law of Expropriation and Compensation in Canada, 2nd ed. (Scarborough: Carswell, 1992), at p. 10.
The British Columbia report onexpropriation reform recommended limitation periods on several occasions. Concerning claims for injurious affection, it stated asfollows: Claims for injurious affection should be brought within two years after the damage was sustained.
That is the period that theCommission has tentatively concluded in its Limitations Project as being most appropriate for property damage actions generally. [p.109] [48] Both the British Columbia Expropriation Act and the Alberta Expropriation Act include explicit limitationperiods with respect to filing compensation claims with the court (see ss. 42(1) and (2) of the Expropriation Act, R.S.B.C. 1996, c. 125;and ss. 36(1) and (2) of the Expropriation Act, R.S.A. 2000, c. E-13).
Given that the New Brunswick Expropriation Act is based onsimilar legal principles, legislative silence on limitation periods cannot reasonably be construed to imply that the Legislature intended nolimitation periods to apply to compensation claims under the Act. It is even more difficult to refer to that silence as a conflict. Therefore,the Limitation of Actions Act would apply. [49] In J.A. Coates & S.
Waqué, New Law of Expropriation (Toronto: Thompson Reuters Canada, 2019) at OntarioExpropriation Act s. 22 §1.3.1, the authors write extensively respecting the Limitations Act, 2002, which came into force on January 1,2004, concluding with the following respecting the Ontario legislation: Further it could be argued that, since the Expropriation Act provides no limitation period (other than the requirement also subject todiscoverability for written notice within one year of the claim for injurious affection under
section 22) there may be room for operationof the Limitations Act, 2002 in the expropriation context. This would be consistent with the Court of Appeal’s approach in Tripp v.Ontario (Minister of Transportation) (1999), (ON CA), 67 L.C.R. 161, 26 R.P.R. (3d) 1, 123 O.A.C. 278, 1999CarswellOnt 2323, [1999] O.J. No. 2832 (Ont. C.A.), where the court reasoned that since
section 32 is silent as to whether interest ispayable on an award of costs, the post judgement interest provisions of the Courts of Justice Act apply. A more detailed discussion ofthis case is set out below under
section 32.
It follows that, until these issues are considered by the courts, the expropriation professional is well advised to consider the potentialoperation of these new limitation periods in Ontario and commence claims for compensation within the two-year period after January 1,2004. [Emphasis added.]
Section 22 of the Ontario Expropriation Act and our s. 47 contain identical wording. [50] That said, it is important to note that Ontario’s statutory framework differs from ours. Beginning on December1, 1970, Ontario had a Land Compensation Board with full-time members. On July 15, 1983, the Board’s jurisdiction was transferred tothe Ontario Municipal Board (The Law of Compensation in Canada, at p. 7). [51] In 1964, New Brunswick established a Land Compensation Board. In 1983, its successor, the PropertyCompensation Board, was abolished and its jurisdiction was transferred to the Court of Queen’s Bench.
Therefore, all actions arisingfrom expropriations, including compensation, are dealt with by the Court of Queen’s Bench (The Law of Compensation in Canada, at p.10). [52] Given the express allocation of jurisdiction to a court, the caveat expressed by authors Coates and Waqué, thatthe general limitation legislation applies to expropriation claims represents the law in New Brunswick, is a strong one. In my opinion,there is simply no support for the view that a statutory cause of action heard in a court is any less subject to limitations legislation than acommon law cause of action.
I would note that, where the point has been raised, courts have rejected it: Jaska v. Jaska, (MB CA), [1996] M.J. No. 579 (QL) (C.A.). The Limitation of Actions Act in force at the time of expropriation expressly said, at s.3, that no “action for any sum of money given to the party aggrieved by any Act or Statute” shall be brought after two years have passedsince the cause of action arose and the term “action” was defined to mean any civil proceeding, including one by or against the Crown.
Ininterpreting very similar language in the British Limitation Act 1980, and in dealing with an expropriation under British legislation that,like ours, lacked a limitation period of its own, the English Court of Appeal held a claim for compensation before a board was barred bythe Limitation Act (Hillingdon London Borough Council v. ARC Ltd., [1999] Ch. 139 (C.A.)). From this, I would distill that a claimbefore a court would also be barred by the Act. [53] As stated earlier, our former Act was replaced with a new statute that does not expressly state it applies to sumsof money given by statute.
That is because the philosophy of the new Act is to create one general limitation period for all causes ofaction, rather than an individual period for each type of cause of action. Again, it follows such a general limitation period would apply toa claim under a statute; unlike the situation in Hillingdon, we do not need to consider either whether an unspecified sum is a sum withinthe contemplation of the statute, or the date upon which the cause of action accrued. [54] Instead, it is enough for us to say today that the proceeding is a “claim to remedy the injury […] that occurredas a result of
an act” (s. 1 of the current Act). Such a claim shall not “be brought after the earlier of” the general two-year periodfollowing discovery or fifteen years from the date of the act causing the injury. Subsection 2(1) of that Act provides that the “Act appliesto any claim brought after [its] commencement.” A claim is brought when proceedings are commenced (s. 1(2)(a)). Proceedings arecommenced when an originating process is issued (Rule 16.01(1) of the Rules of Court). As noted above, the Notice of Arbitration isdeemed to be an originating process, and it was issued in 2013.
The claim was brought more than 15 years after the act of expropriationoccurred, so it was clearly out of time. There was some disagreement in the court below over whether the new or old period applied. Inany event, if the former legislation applied, and regardless of whether the two-year or six-year period applied under it, the claim stillwould have been out of time. Finally, the current Act specifically says that nothing in it allows a claim to be brought if the old limitationperiod had expired on the date it came into force (s. 27.2). [55] Mr.
Soucy argued the Expropriation Act constitutes a complete code with respect to the law of expropriation,and such a characterization would lead to a conflict between it and the Limitation of Actions Act. In support, he referred to this Court’sdecision in The Minister of Transportation and the Province of New Brunswick v. Carter’s Country Store
(1996) Ltd., 2017 NBCA 23,[2017] N.B.J. No. 174 (QL). In that case, the Crown appealed an order for an advance payment under Rule 47. The Crown alleged theExpropriation Act was a complete statutory scheme, so the Rules of Court could not apply to a proceeding under it. Nowhere in itsjudgment did this Court agree the Act is a complete code. Furthermore, the Crown’s appeal was dismissed.
Importantly for presentpurposes, this Court rejected the contention that there was a conflict between the Rules and the Act, noting that “the Act is silent on thispoint” and agreeing with the respondent that “[s]ilence does not translate to a conflict” (para. 13). The case, therefore, is of no assistanceto Mr. Soucy.
[56] The Expropriation Act is, in a sense, a code. Recourse must be had to it for compensation for expropriation, atleast in an ordinary case like this one. The Act governs the rights to compensation for expropriation and the process for obtaining suchcompensation, rather than the patchwork of public and private legislation that applied before its enactment. However, it may bemisleading to call the Act a complete code because doing so would imply it is akin to the sort of code that is the Human Rights Act,R.S.N.B. 2011, c. 171: Seneca College v. Bhadauria, (CSC), [1981] 2 S.C.R. 181, [1981] S.C.J.
No. 76 (QL), at p. 183.The Expropriation Act does not show comprehensiveness “in its administrative and adjudicative features.” On the contrary, itspecifically vests jurisdiction in the courts to adjudicate upon the cause of action it creates, and further, it directs that the Rules of Courtapply to any proceedings under it. If the Legislature had intended to oust the general law of limitations by enacting a complete code, itwould not have done so implicitly, while at the same time expressly vesting jurisdiction to adjudicate upon a cause of action in thecourts.
Judicial characterization of the Act as a “complete code” cannot be the sort of conflict the Legislature was referring to when itenacted s. 2(2) of the Act. [57] Mr. Soucy further contends the purposes of a limitations statute were satisfied without the need for recourse tothe Limitation of Actions Act. He points to the fact that, once there had been compliance with s. 47, s. 31(1) allowed the Crown, as wellas the owner, to initiate the proceeding before the court.
Without commenting on whether the provisions of a statute do not applybecause their purposes are met by means other than compliance with the statute, I do not agree that the purposes of the Limitations ofActions Act were satisfied. Statutes of limitation are statutes of repose. They allow a defendant to “be secure in his reasonableexpectation that he will not be held to account for ancient obligations”: M.(K.) v. M.(H.), (CSC), [1992] 3 S.C.R. 6,[1992] S.C.J. No. 85 (QL), at para. 29. See also Kingstreet Investments Ltd. v.
New Brunswick (Finance), 2007 SCC 1, [2007] 1 S.C.R.3, at para. 60. [58] In addition to the foregoing, the other purposes behind limitation periods are not satisfied in this case. One suchconcern is stale evidence. While it may be possible to determine the value of business losses resulting from an expropriation thatoccurred almost 30 years ago, it is much more difficult than it would have been had the claim been brought in a timely fashion.
Thisleads to the third unfulfilled purpose: ensuring that claims are brought in a timely fashion as an end itself. “The public have a greatinterest, in having a known limit fixed by law to litigation, for the quiet of the community […]” (Cholmondeley v. Clinton (1820), 2 Jac.& W. 1, 37 E.R. 527, at pp. 140 and 577, quoted in M.(K.), at para. 24). The point extends far beyond merely quieting of titles situations.In fact, it was extended to claims in equity by judges themselves through the doctrine of laches: Ludlow v. McGraw (1987), (NB CA), 79 N.B.R. (2d) 10, [1987] N.B.J. No. 191 (QL) (C.A.).
All actors, from individuals to governments, make decisionssecure in the knowledge that they will not be exposed to liability long after events have happened. Projects are undertaken. Budgets areallocated. Feedback is considered. If plaintiffs were allowed to go back, long into the past, and call into question events that had beenthought to be settled, great inconvenience would result. Who knows how many long-lost claims for compensation might be made? Seealso Vautour et al. v. Her Majesty the Queen in right of the Province of New Brunswick et al., 2021 NBCA 4, [2021] N.B.J.
No. 18 (QL),at para. 146. [59] In any event, the question is whether any provision in the Limitation of Actions Act conflicts, either directly ordue to an absurd result, with the Expropriation Act. This question deals with conflicting laws, not conflicting purposes. Legislators enactlaws, not purposes. Subsection 2(2) directs us to apply the provision of the Expropriation Act when it conflicts with a provision ofanother Act. Different legislation enacted at different times by different legislators embody different and often conflicting purposes.Such is the natural consequence of policy. But this is of no moment.
Unless the laws themselves conflict with one another, both must beapplied. In the present case, there is no conflict, so both apply. [60] Mr. Soucy stressed the principle that expropriation legislation must be interpreted generously to ensure fullcompensation to owners whose land has been taken for the public benefit. I accept this principle, but, again, it does not assist him. First,this Court is not addressing a question of which heads of damage are compensable, or a question regarding compensable damage or theextent of compensation, or some other question that turns on the
interpretation of the language of the Expropriation Act: Dell Holdings.Instead, we are deciding whether there is a conflict between the Expropriation Act and the Limitation of Actions Act. Which provision ofthe Expropriation Act should be generously interpreted to create a conflict? The answer is that there is no such provision. A generousinterpretation must be an
interpretation of something; it cannot be a mere justification for a court to decide in favour of one class ofplaintiffs based on the cause of action at bar. It is insufficient to say that a limitation period is inconsistent with the intent of theExpropriation Act and, therefore, a conflict arises. It is no better to embellish this as the “purpose of the statute.” Mr. Soucy does not askus to construe anything in the Expropriation Act; rather, he asks us to interpret it so as to find a conflict with the Limitation of ActionsAct. That is something we cannot do. Simply put, Mr.
Soucy’s claim is barred. “Whether that should be changed is a question for theLegislature”: Grand Falls/Grand-Sault v. Caron, 2020 NBCA 60, [2020] N.B.J. No. 212 (QL), at para. 28. [61] While this result is unfortunate for Mr. Soucy, it is what the Legislature intended, based on what it expressedin its enactments. The existence of a limitation period can often result in barring claims that could very well be meritorious (see Canada(Attorney General) v. Utah, 2020 FCA 224, [2020] F.C.J. No. 1241 QL)).
Statutes of limitation are Acts of the legislators’ equivalent toother statutes and, in the absence of direct conflicts or absurd results, they must be given effect. Furthermore, judicial attempts to oust theLegislature’s intent in setting limitation periods often end in failure. For example, in Nelson (City) v. Mowatt, 2017 SCC 8, [2017] 1S.C.R. 138, the Supreme Court ended the “heretical and wrong” judicially created doctrine that common law “ouster” was necessary tohave “possession” for the purpose of adverse possession under a statute.
Adverse possession is essentially another form of limitationperiod that results in a taking of land without compensation. While protection of property rights is undoubtedly very important, putting
an end to disputes by operation of limitation periods is also important, and it is for the Legislature, and not for the courts, to strike the proper balance between these two objectives. In giving effect to the limitation period here, we respect the balance that has been struck by the Legislature. In my view, the motion judge erred when he decided the limitation period was contained in the Expropriation Act . VI. Conclusion and Disposition [ 62 ] For the above reasons, I would allow the appeal. The claim for injurious affection is statute-barred by the operation of the Limitation of Actions Act . I would convert the motion into a motion for judgment under Rule 37.10(
a) and grant judgment dismissing the action pursuant to Rule 22.04(5). I would order costs in the amount of $3,000. Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par LA JUGE QUIGG I. Introduction [1] Dans le présent appel, notre Cour est appelée à trancher la question de savoir si, dans les demandes d’indemnisation d’un préjudice subi en raison d’une expropriation, l’effet combiné du par. 2(2) et d’autres dispositions de la
Loi sur l’expropriation , L.R.N.-B. 1973, ch. E-14, exclut l’application d’un délai de prescription général prévu par la
Loi sur la prescription , L.N.-B. 2009, ch. L-8.5 (la Loi actuelle) ou la
Loi sur la prescription , L.R.N.-B. 1973, ch. L-8 (l’ancienne Loi ). Il s’agit d’une question inédite qui n’a jamais été expressément tranchée au Nouveau-Brunswick. II. Faits [2] Le 23 décembre 1992, Sa Majesté la Reine du chef de la province du Nouveau-Brunswick, représentée par le ministre des Transports (la Province), a exproprié des parties d’un bien-fonds appartenant à Paul Emile Soucy pour y construire une route. [3] Le 20 mai 1993, la Province a présenté à M. Soucy une proposition et une offre de paiement conformément au par. 37(1) de la
Loi sur l’expropriation . M. Soucy a présenté par écrit les chefs de sa demande d’indemnisation d’un préjudice dans l’année qui a suivi l’expropriation, comme le prescrit le par. 47(1) de la
Loi sur l’expropriation , fait reconnu par la Province. À la suite de l’avis écrit de M. Soucy, ni l’une ni l’autre
partie n’a tenté, pendant des années, de négocier un règlement relativement à la demande d’indemnisation du préjudice. [4] Le 30 avril 2013, c’est-à-dire 20 ans et quatre mois après l’expropriation, un cabinet juridique représentant M. Soucy a déposé un avis d’arbitrage afin d’introduire une instance devant la Cour du Banc de la Reine. Selon la
Loi sur l’expropriation et le Règlement général –
Loi sur l’expropriation , Règl. du N.-B. 84-11, par. 4(2) , l’avis d’arbitrage constitue un acte introductif d’instance . [5] Le 3 décembre 2018, la Province a déposé aux termes de la règle 23.01(1)
a) des Règles de procédure une motion par laquelle elle demandait à la Cour de trancher une question de droit, à savoir si l’avis d’arbitrage de M. Soucy était prescrit par application de l’art. 9 de l’ancienne Loi ou de l’art. 5 de la Loi actuelle.
[6] Le 22 avril 2020, un juge a rejeté la motion et a conclu que le délai de prescription applicable est prévu par la
Loi sur l’expropriation . Avec la permission de la Cour, la Province interjette appel de cette décision en faisant valoir que le juge a commis une erreur de droit dans l’interprétation qu’il a donnée au par. 2(2) de la
Loi sur l’expropriation . III. Moyen d’appel [7] La Province soulève un seul moyen d’appel : le juge saisi de la motion a-t-il commis une erreur de droit en concluant que la
Loi sur la prescription ne s’applique pas à une procédure d’expropriation introduite sous le régime de la
Loi sur l’expropriation ? IV. Norme de contrôle [8] Notre Cour a déclaré à de nombreuses reprises que la norme de contrôle qui s’applique aux questions d’interprétation législative est la norme de la décision correcte ( voir Northrup c. Windsor Energy Inc. et autre , 2017 NBCA 37 , [2017] A.N.-B. n o 219 (QL), par. 36 ; Eastland Industries Limited c. Casey , 2016 NBCA 57 , [2016] A.N.-B. n o 299 (QL) , par. 36 ). V. Analyse A. Dispositions législatives pertinentes [9] Les dispositions pertinentes de l’ancienne Loi sont les suivantes : 3.
No action for any sum of money given to the party aggrieved by any Act or Statute, or for any penalty, shall be brought but within two years after the cause of action arose. R.S., c.133, s.3. 9. No other action shall be commenced but within six years after the cause of action arose. R.S., c.133, s.9. 24. Nothing in this Act extends to any action where the time for bringing the action is by statute specially limited. R.S., c.133, s.24. 64. This Act applies to all causes of action whether the same arose before or after the coming into force of this Act. R.S., c.133, s.64. 3 .
Toute action en recouvrement de toute somme d’argent accordée à la
partie lésée par une loi ou de toute pénalité se prescrit par deux ans à compter de la naissance de la cause d’action. S.R., c.133, art.3. 9. Toute autre action se prescrit par six ans à compter de la naissance de la cause d’action. S.R., c.133, art.9. 24. Rien dans la présente loi ne s’étend à une action dont le délai de prescription est spécialement fixé par une loi. S.R., c.133, art.24. 64 . La présente loi s’applique à toutes les causes d’action nées avant ou après son entrée en vigueur. S.R., c.133, art.64. [10] Les dispositions pertinentes de la Loi actuelle sont les suivantes :
General limitation periods 5
(1) Unless otherwise provided in this Act, no claim shall be brought after the earlier of (
a) two years from the day on which the claim is discovered, and (
b) fifteen years from the day on which the act or omission on which the claim is based occurred. 5
(2) A claim is discovered on the day on which the claimant first knew or ought reasonably to have known (
a) that the injury, loss or damage had occurred, (
b) that the injury, loss or damage was caused by or contributed to by
an act or omission, and (
c) that the act or omission was that of the defendant. Délais de prescription ordinaires 5
(1) Sauf disposition contraire de la présente loi, toute réclamation se prescrit par celui des délais ci-dessous qui expire le premier :
a) deux ans à compter du jour où sont découverts les faits y ayant donné naissance;
b) quinze ans à compter du jour où a eu lieu l’acte ou l’omission sur lequel elle est fondée. 5
(2) Les faits ayant donné naissance à la réclamation sont découverts le jour où le réclamant a appris ou aurait dû normalement apprendre :
a) que sont survenus les préjudices, les pertes ou les dommages;
b) que les préjudices, les pertes ou les dommages ont été causés entièrement ou en
partie par un acte ou une omission;
c) que l’acte ou l’omission était le fait du défendeur. [11] Enfin, voici les dispositions pertinentes de la
Loi sur l’expropriation :
(2) Where there is a conflict between a provision of this Act and a provision of any other general or special Act that does not expressly state that it supersedes this Act, the provision of this Act applies. 31
(1) Where a statutory authority and an owner have not agreed upon the compensation payable under this Act in respect of an expropriation or injurious affection authorized by this Act, and, in the case of expropriation,
section 37 has been complied with or the time for compliance therewith by the statutory authority has expired, or, in the case of injurious affection,
section 47 has been complied with, either the statutory authority or the owner may invoke the jurisdiction of the Court to settle any dispute between them by serving upon the other of them and the Court a notice of arbitration. 47
(1) Subject to subsection (2), a claim for compensation for injurious affection shall be made by the person suffering the damage or loss in writing with particulars of the claim within one year after the damage was sustained or after it became known to him, and, if not so made, the right to compensation is forever barred. 2
(2) En cas de conflit entre les dispositions de la présente loi et celles de toute autre loi d’intérêt général ou particulier qui n’indiquent pas expressément leur priorité, celles de la présente loi s’appliquent. 31
(1) Lorsqu’une autorité légale et un propriétaire ne sont pas d’accord sur l’indemnité à payer en application de la présente loi relativement à une expropriation ou à un préjudice autorisés par la présente loi, et, dans le cas d’une expropriation, lorsqu’il a été satisfait aux dispositions de l’article 37 ou que l’autorité légale n’a pas satisfait, aux dispositions de cet
article dans le délai fixé, ou, dans le cas d’un préjudice, lorsqu’il a été satisfait aux dispositions de l’
article 47 , soit l’autorité légale, soit le propriétaire peut saisir la Cour pour régler le litige entre eux en signifiant à l’autre
partie et à la Cour un avis d’arbitrage. 47
(1) Sous réserve du paragraphe (2), une demande d’indemnisation d’un préjudice doit se faire par écrit par la personne qui subit le dommage ou la perte, en indiquant les chefs de la demande, dans l’année qui suit la date à laquelle elle a subi le dommage ou en a eu connaissance et, passé ce délai, elle est définitivement déchue du droit à indemnisation. [12] De plus, le par. 4(2) du Règlement général –
Loi sur l’expropriation prévoit ce qui suit : « Un avis d’arbitrage est réputé être un acte introductif d’instance au sens de la Règle 16 des Règles de procédure. » [13] Les deux parties reconnaissent que, en théorie, une loi en matière de prescription pourrait s’appliquer à une demande introduite sous le régime de la législation en matière d’expropriation. Toutefois, M. Soucy soutient que, au Nouveau-Brunswick, toute limite imposée à une demande d’indemnisation présentée sous le régime de la
Loi sur l’expropriation doit être prévue dans cette loi. Si cet argument n’est pas accepté, il est sans importance de déterminer laquelle des deux versions de la
Loi sur la prescription s’applique parce que la demande de M. Soucy serait prescrite par application de l’une ou l’autre de ces version. [14] Il semble que l’ancienne version de la
Loi sur la prescription est celle qui s’applique. Quoi qu’il en soit, si c’était la version actuelle de cette loi qui s’appliquait, l’action de M. Soucy serait quand même prescrite. B. Le juge saisi de la motion a-t-il déterminé à juste
titre que le délai de prescription applicable est prévu dans la
Loi sur l’expropriation? [15] Dans sa décision, le juge saisi de la motion a énoncé les questions en litige de la façon suivante : 1) la
Loi sur la prescription s’applique-t-elle à la demande de M. Soucy? 2) le cas échéant, la présente action est-elle prescrite par application de cette loi? [16] S’agissant de la première question qu’il a énoncée, le juge saisi de la motion a conclu ainsi : [TRADUCTION] La Cour a lu la
Loi sur l’expropriation dans son intégralité, tant dans sa version actuelle que dans ses différentes versions postérieures au mois de décembre 1992, soit l’année de l’expropriation du bien-fonds de M. Soucy.
[…] Ces dispositions amènent la Cour à interpréter la
Loi sur l’expropriation et à conclure qu’elle est censée renfermer tous les délais quis’appliquent à une demande d’indemnisation comme celle que M. Soucy a déposée. La Cour est renforcée dans sa conclusion et son interprétation par le paragraphe 2(2) de la
Loi sur l’expropriation, notamment, dont voicile texte : […] De plus, la Cour n’a trouvé nulle part dans la
Loi sur la prescription une disposition prévoyant expressément que la
Loi sur laprescription a préséance sur la
Loi sur l’expropriation. Pour l’ensemble des motifs qui précèdent, la Cour conclut et déclare que la
Loi sur la prescription du Nouveau-Brunswick, dans sesversions actuelle ou précédentes, en remontant à 1992, ne s’applique tout simplement pas à la présente instance, qui est régie par la Loisur l’expropriation. [par. 11 à 16.] [17] Il a ensuite dit ce qui suit : [TRADUCTION] L’analyse et les conclusions qui précèdent, qui ont trait à la première question en litige en l’espèce, constituent par conséquent unesolution définitive de la présente motion, puisque dans l’avis de motion que le Ministre a déposé le 3 décembre 2018, la seule mesure deredressement sollicitée était une déclaration portant que la présente instance était prescrite par application de la
Loi sur la prescription.[par. 19] [18] L’expropriation d’un bien-fonds par l’exercice d’un pouvoir d’origine législative constitue une atteinteimportante par le gouvernement aux droits privés de propriété. Comme l’a dit le juge Cory dans l’arrêt Régie des transports en commun de la région de Toronto c. Dell Holdings Ltd., (CSC), [1997] 1 R.C.S. 32, [1997] A.C.S. no 6 (QL) : […] L’expropriation totale ou partielle d’un bien appartenant à une personne constitue une grave perte ainsi qu’une atteinte trèsimportante aux droits privés de propriété des citoyens.
Il s’ensuit que le pouvoir d’une autorité expropriante devrait être interprété defaçon stricte en faveur des personnes dont les droits sont touchés. Ce principe a été souligné par d’éminents auteurs et dans des arrêts denotre Cour. […] [par. 20.] [19] La
Loi sur l’expropriation a pour objet d’« indemniser pleinement le propriétaire foncier dont le bien a étéexproprié » : Dell Holdings, par. 23. Par conséquent, elle devrait recevoir une interprétation large et compatible avec son objet afin del’atteindre de façon substantielle. [20] Le paragraphe 2(2) de la
Loi sur l’expropriation prévoit que, sauf indication contraire expresse, en cas deconflit entre les dispositions de cette loi et celles de toute autre loi, celles de la
Loi sur l’expropriation s’appliquent. Le paragraphe 2(2)de la
Loi sur l’expropriation fonctionne comme une disposition de dérogation lorsqu’une disposition de cette loi est contredite par celled’une autre loi. [21] La Cour suprême a donné des indications compatibles avec l’analyse que je viens de faire dans l’arrêt Lévis(Ville) c. Fraternité des policiers de Lévis Inc., 2007 CSC 14, [2007] 1 R.C.S. 591. Reprenant les propos du professeur Côté, lejuge Bastarache a affirmé qu’il y a conflit « lorsque deux lois sont directement contradictoires ou que leur application concurrentedonnerait lieu à un résultat déraisonnable ou absurde » (par. 47).
Pour illustrer l’étendue du chevauchement permis, il a renvoyé à ladécision rendue par la Cour suprême dans l’arrêt Toronto Railway Co. c. Paget (1909), (SCC), 42 R.C.S. 488, [1909] A.C.S. no 60 (QL), où il avait été conclu qu’il n’y avait aucun conflit entre une loi qui prévoyait qu’une amende serait infligée aux
passagers d’un train qui n’avaient pas payé pour un billet et qui refusaient de [TRADUCTION] « quitter le wagon », et une autre loi quiprévoyait leur expulsion du train. Le juge Anglin (tel était alors son titre) a dit : [TRADUCTION] « Il ne suffit pas d’exclurel’application de la Loi générale qui traite d’une façon plutôt différente du même objet. Elle n’est pas “incompatible” à moins que lesdeux dispositions ne puissent pas s’appliquer ensemble » (p. 499). [22] À
titre d’exemple de conflit, la Cour, dans l’arrêt Lévis, a invoqué sa décision antérieure dans l’affaireMassicotte c. Boutin, (CSC), [1969] R.C.S. 818. Dans cette affaire, la disposition générale de la
Loi sur la Coursuprême, S.R.C. 1952, ch. 259, qui permet la prolongation du délai prescrit pour interjeter appel, que ce soit avant ou après l’expirationdu délai, a été jugée incompatible avec la période plus précise établie dans la
Loi sur le divorce, 1968 (Can.), 16-17 Eliz. II, ch. 24, quine permet une prolongation qu’avant l’expiration du délai. [23] Par conséquent, lorsqu’il est possible que deux lois s’appliquent, les deux s’appliquent, sauf en cas de conflitentre elles. [24] La Province soutient que le juge saisi de la motion a commis une erreur de droit en décidant que la
Loi surl’expropriation est censée englober tous les délais qui sont pertinents relativement à une demande d’indemnisation. Voici un extrait dumémoire de la Province : [TRADUCTION]18. L’erreur de droit était un défaut d’interpréter correctement le paragraphe 2(2) de la
Loi sur l’expropriation. Le tribunal d’instanceinférieure a interprété ce paragraphe comme indiquant que la
Loi sur l’expropriation s’applique indépendamment de toute autre loi. Enfait, la disposition prévoit simplement que, en cas de conflit entre une disposition de la
Loi sur l’expropriation et celle de toute autre loid’intérêt général ou particulier, la disposition de l’autre loi cesse de s’appliquer, sauf si elle indique expressément qu’elle l’emporte surcelle de la
Loi sur l’expropriation. 19. La Province soutient que, selon l’interprétation correcte du paragraphe 2(2) de la
Loi sur l’expropriation, lorsqu’un délai deprescription prévu par la
Loi sur l’expropriation entre en conflit avec le délai de prescription ordinaire de six ans prévu à l’article 9 de laLoi sur la prescription qui était alors en vigueur, c’est la disposition de la
Loi sur l’expropriation qui s’applique. 20. La Province affirme qu’aucun délai de prescription n’est prévu dans la
Loi sur l’expropriation et que, par conséquent, l’article 9 de laLoi sur la prescription qui était alors en vigueur s’applique […] [25] Comme je l’ai indiqué précédemment, l’art. 9 de l’ancienne Loi prévoyait que « [t]oute autre action se prescritpar six ans à compter de la naissance de la cause d’action ». Il faut noter que le terme « action » a été défini largement à l’art. 1 del’ancienne Loi de sorte à englober bien plus qu’une simple procédure intentée par voie de bref d’assignation.
Ce terme a été définicomme signifiant « toute procédure civile, y compris toute procédure civile engagée par la Couronne ou contre celle-ci ». De touteévidence, le terme « action » comprend la demande de M. Soucy. [26] M. Soucy soutient que le par. 47(1) comprend un délai de prescription applicable à toutes les demandesd’indemnisation pour préjudice et affirme de plus que la
Loi sur l’expropriation prévoit un régime législatif complet qui atténue lespréoccupations auxquelles les délais de prescription répondent généralement. C. Préjudice et délais de prescription [27] La
Loi sur l’expropriation énumère quatre chefs d’indemnisation dont les propriétaires fonciers peuvent seprévaloir :
(1) Where the land of an owner is expropriated, the compensation to the owner shall be based upon (
a) the market value of the land, (
b) damages attributable to disturbance, (
c) damages for injurious affection , (
d) any special economic advantage arising out of his occupation of the land that is not reflected in the market value of the land[.] [Emphasis added.] 38
(1) Lorsque le bien-fonds d’un propriétaire est exproprié, l’indemnité à verser au propriétaire doit être fondée sur
a) la valeur marchande du bien,
b) les dommages attribuables au trouble de jouissance,
c) les dommages causés par un préjudice ,
d) tout avantage économique particulier résultant de son occupation du bien-fonds, qui n’est pas reflété dans la valeur marchande du bien-fonds[.] [C’est moi qui souligne.] [28] La
Loi sur l’expropriation donne deux définitions du terme « préjudice » : l’une s’applique lorsqu’un bien- fonds n’a pas fait l’objet d’une appropriation, et l’autre, lorsqu’une
partie d’un bien-fonds en a été l’objet.
La définition qui s’applique en l’espèce est la suivante : “injurious affection” means, (
a) where a statutory authority takes part of the land of an owner, (
i) the reduction in market value thereby caused to the remaining land of the owner by the taking or by the construction of the works thereon or by the use of the works thereon or any combination of them, and (ii) such personal and business damages resulting from the construction or use, or both, of the works as the statutory authority would be liable for if the construction or use were not under the authority of a statute […] and for the purpose of this definition, part of the land of an owner shall be deemed to have been taken where the owner retains land contiguous to that taken or retains land of which the use was enhanced by unified ownership with that taken[.] « préjudice » désigne,
a) lorsqu’une autorité légale s’approprie une
partie du bien-fonds d’un propriétaire, (
i) la diminution de la valeur marchande de la
partie restante du bien-fonds du propriétaire, causée par l’appropriation, par la construction d’ouvrages sur ce bien-fonds, par l’utilisation des ouvrages s’y trouvant ou par la réunion de plusieurs de ces éléments, et (ii) le dommage personnel et commercial, résultant de la construction ou de l’utilisation des ouvrages ou des deux à la fois, dont l’autorité légale serait responsable si la construction ou l’utilisation n’intervenait pas en vertu d’une loi […] et, pour l’application de la présente définition, une
partie du bien-fonds d’un propriétaire est réputée avoir fait l’objet d’une appropriation lorsque le propriétaire conserve un bien-fonds contigu à celui qui a été l’objet de l’appropriation ou conserve un bien-fonds dont la valeur d’utilisation était accrue lorsqu’il ne formait qu’une seule propriété avec celui qui a fait l’objet de l’appropriation[.] [29] Des quatre fondements donnant droit à une indemnité énumérés au par. 38(1), le préjudice est le seul pour lequel la
Loi sur l’expropriation prévoit des lignes directrices procédurales précises en matière de délais.
[30] Afin de déterminer s’il y a conflit entre la
Loi sur l’expropriation et la
Loi sur la prescription, il estfondamental d’établir si le par. 47(1) fonctionne comme un délai de prescription. Il s’agit évidemment d’une date limite qui, si elle estmanquée, empêche l’introduction d’une demande. La question qui se pose est celle de savoir si l’art. 47 régit la période pendant laquelleun acte introductif d’instance peut être émis, par opposition à la
Loi sur la prescription, qui le régit manifestement. Un conflitsurviendrait si l’art. 47 fonctionnait comme un délai de prescription ordinaire qui aurait pour effet d’interdire l’introduction de demandesaprès un certain nombre d’années. Toutefois, ce n’est pas ce que fait l’art. 47. Il interdit plutôt les demandes dont les chefs ne sont pasprésentés par écrit.
À mon sens, cela n’équivaut pas à un acte introductif d’instance. [31] Il a déjà été décidé, à la Cour du Banc de la Reine, que le propriétaire foncier qui omet de fournir à laProvince, par écrit, les chefs d’une demande d’indemnisation d’un préjudice dans le délai prescrit d’un an après avoir subi le préjudice ouen avoir eu connaissance est déchu du droit à indemnisation : R.P.B. Construction Ltée c. Nouveau-Brunswick (Ministre des Transports) (1995), (NB BR), 168 R.N.-B. (2e) 365, par. 44 et 45, [1995] A.N.-B. no 519 (QL), par. 35 et 36. Dans l’arrêtR.P.B.
Construction, le juge Deschênes (tel était alors son titre) a estimé que la présentation des chefs de la demande conformément aupar. 47(1) de la
Loi sur l’expropriation constitue une condition préalable sur le plan procédural à la présentation d’une demande, sanslaquelle la demande est prescrite. Je souscris à cet avis. [32] La Province reconnaît avoir reçu par écrit, de la part de M. Soucy, les chefs de la demande conformément aupar. 47(1) de la
Loi sur l’expropriation. Toutefois, la Province soutient que cela n’équivaut pas au dépôt d’une procédure judiciaireauprès de la Cour et donc à l’introduction d’une instance civile. Encore une fois, je souscris à cet avis. À mon sens, le fait de fournir leschefs de la demande à la Province conformément au par. 47(1) ne constitue pas l’introduction d’une instance conformément à larègle 16.01 des Règles de procédure du Nouveau-Brunswick : 16.01 How Proceedings Commenced
(1) Unless provided otherwise by
an Act, allcivil proceedings, except a counterclaimagainst a plaintiff only or a cross-claim, shallbe commenced by issuing an originatingprocess.
(2) An originating process is issued when theoriginal, a copy, and the filing fee prescribedby these rules (
a) are delivered to the office of the clerk ofthe judicial district in which the proceeding isto be commenced, or (
b) are sent by prepaid registered mail orprepaid courier addressed to the clerk of thejudicial district in which the proceeding is tobe commenced. 16.01 Comment introduire une instance
(1) Sauf prescription contraire d’une loi, touteinstance civile, à l’exception d’une demandereconventionnelle contre un demandeurseulement ou d’une demande entredéfendeurs, doit être introduite par l’émissiond’un acte introductif d’instance.
(2) L’acte introductif d’instance est émislorsque l’original, une copie et le droit dedépôt prescrit par les présentes règles sont
a) délivrés au greffe de la circonscriptionjudiciaire où l’instance doit être introduite ou
b) envoyés par poste recommandéeaffranchie, ou par messagerie affranchie,adressée au greffier de la circonscriptionjudiciaire où l’instance doit être introduite. [33] La
Loi sur l’expropriation prévoit un mécanisme pour saisir la Cour. Voici le libellé du par. 30(2) de la
Loi surl’expropriation :
(2) Subject to the other provisions of this section, to
section 31 and to such procedural requirements as are established by regulation, the jurisdiction of the Court may be invoked by any party to a dispute by filing with the Court a notice of arbitration setting out such information as the Court directs and by serving a copy thereof upon the other party. [ Emphasis added .] 30
(2) Sous réserve des autres dispositions du présent article, de l’
article 31 et des formalités de procédure établies par règlement, une
partie à un différend peut saisir la Cour en signifiant à l’autre
partie et en remettant à la Cour un avis d’arbitrage indiquant les renseignements que prescrit la Cour ainsi qu’en en signifiant copie à l’autre partie. [C’est moi qui souligne.] [34] De plus, le Règlement général –
Loi sur l’expropriation précise qu’un avis d’arbitrage est un acte introductif d’instance dont la délivrance constitue l’introduction d’une instance au
titre de la règle 16. Les paragraphes 4(2) et (3) du Règlement prévoient ce qui suit : 4
(2) A notice of arbitration shall be deemed to be an originating process within the meaning of Rule 16 of the Rules of Court . 4
(3) The Rules of Court apply to a notice of arbitration with such changes as are necessary. 4
(2) Un avis d’arbitrage est réputé être un acte introductif d’instance au sens de la Règle 16 des Règles de procédure. 4
(3) Les Règles de procédure s’appliquent avec les changements nécessaires à un avis d’arbitrage. [35] En présentant les chefs de la demande d’indemnisation d’un préjudice à la Province, M. Soucy n’a pas intenté une instance civile devant la Cour du Banc de la Reine. [36] Le paragraphe 47(1) de la
Loi sur l’expropriation fixe un délai pour remplir une condition préalable d’ordre procédural à une demande d’indemnisation d’un préjudice, mais il ne s’agit pas du délai de dépôt d’un acte introductif d’instance auprès de la Cour. Par conséquent, il n’a pas pour effet de fixer un délai de prescription équivalant aux dispositions de l’une ou l’autre version de la
Loi sur la prescription et n’est donc pas en conflit direct avec celles-ci. [37] Le simple fait qu’une disposition législative puisse s’appliquer afin de rendre une demande prescrite si certaines exigences procédurales ne sont pas remplies n’implique pas nécessairement qu’il y a conflit entre cette disposition et le délai de prescription imparti, qui exige qu’une instance civile soit intentée devant les tribunaux à l’intérieur d’une certaine période. Il existe plusieurs exemples de dispositions législatives qui empêchent la présentation d’une demande d’une telle manière sans entrer en conflit avec la
Loi sur la prescription . La
Loi sur les procédures contre la Couronne , L.R.N.-B. 1973, ch. P-18, en est un exemple. Le paragraphe 15(1) de cette loi prévoit qu’une action ne peut être intentée contre la Couronne que si un avis a été donné deux mois à l’avance. On trouve un autre exemple à l’ art. 181 de la
Loi sur la gouvernance locale , L.N.-B. 2017, ch. 18 , lequel éteint le droit d’intenter une action si un avis n’est pas donné à la municipalité dans les 90 jours suivant la survenance de l’événement mettant en cause sa responsabilité. D’autres exemples se trouvent dans la
Loi sur le privilège des constructeurs et des fournisseurs de matériaux , L.R.N.-B. 1973, ch. M-6. Cette liste ne se veut pas exhaustive; elle vise plutôt à illustrer que de multiples « délais » peuvent éteindre le droit de présenter une demande sans entrer en conflit. S’il n’y a pas de conflit, les deux lois s’appliquent. [38] Si le paragraphe 47(1) de la
Loi sur l’expropriation avait prévu un délai pour le dépôt d’un acte introductif d’instance, ce paragraphe, en cas de conflit avec la
Loi sur la prescription , aurait alors eu la priorité par application du par. 2(2) de la Loi sur l’expropriation . Comparons, par exemple, l’art. 42 de la loi de la Colombie-Britannique intitulée Expropriation Act , R.S.B.C. 1996, c. 125 , lequel ressemble à notre par. 47(1), mais prescrit qu’une demande présentée en vertu du par. 41(3) soit faite [TRADUCTION] « à la Cour » et déposée auprès de celle-ci dans l’année qui suit la date à laquelle le préjudice a été subi. Je remarque en passant qu’il ne serait pas utile pour M. Soucy de donner au par. 47(1) une interprétation qui lui donne le même sens que la disposition