2018 NBCA 57, 2018 NBCA 57
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF NEW BRUNSWICK COUR D’APPEL DU NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 49-17-CA KENT BUILDING SUPPLIES, a division of J.D. IRVING LTD. APPELLANT KENT BUILDING SUPPLIES, a division of J.D. IRVING LTD. APPELANTE - and - - et - 625663 N.B. LTD. RESPONDENT - and - 625663 N.B. LTD. INTIMÉE RAYMOND CHABOT INC. in its capacity as the Trustee in Bankruptcy of the Estate of 059143 N.B. INC., THE ATTORNEY GENERAL OF CANADA, W. GEAR ELECTRIC LTD. and COASTAL DRYWALL SUPPLIERS LTD. RESPONDENTS Kent Building Supplies, a division of J.D. Irving Ltd. v. 625663 N.B.
Ltd. et al., 2018 NBCA 57 RAYMOND CHABOT INC., en sa qualité de syndic de faillite de l’actif de 059143 N.B. INC., LA PROCUREURE GÉNÉRALE DU CANADA, W. GEAR ELECTRIC LTD. et COASTAL DRYWALL SUPPLIERS LTD. INTIMÉES Kent Building Supplies, une division de J.D. Irving Limited c. 625663 N.B.
Ltd. et autres, 2018 NBCA 57 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Green The Honourable Justice Baird The Honourable Justice French CORAM : l’honorable juge Green l’honorable juge Baird l’honorable juge French Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: April 18, 2017 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : le 18 avril 2017 History of case: Decision under appeal: Unreported Historique de la cause : Décision frappée d’appel : inédite
Appeal heard: November 21, 2017 Post-Hearing Submissions: January 24, 2018 Appel entendu : le 21 novembre 2017 Mémoires postérieurs à l’audience : le 24 janvier 2018 Judgment rendered: September 20, 2018 Reasons for judgment by: The Honourable Justice French Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Green The Honourable Justice Baird Jugement rendu : le 20 septembre 2018 Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge French Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Green l’honorable juge Baird Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: W. Hugh Murphy For the respondent 625663 N.B. Ltd.: Christian E. Michaud, Q.C.
For the respondent Raymond Chabot Inc.: Josie Marks For the respondent Attorney General of Canada: Deanna M. Frappier THE COURT The appeal is dismissed with costs of $2,000. Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appelante : W. Hugh Murphy Pour l’intimée 625663 N.B. Ltd. : Christian E. Michaud , c.r. Pour l’intimée Raymond Chabot Inc. : Josie Marks Pour l’intimée la procureure générale du Canada : Deanna M. Frappier LA COUR L’appel est rejeté avec dépens de 2 000 $. The judgment of the Court was delivered by FRENCH, J.A.
I. Introduction [ 1 ] A judge of the Court of Queen’s Bench decided three actions to enforce liens had been deemed to be discontinued pursuant to s. 52.1(1) of the Mechanic’s Lien Act , R.S.N.B. 1973, c. M-6 (“ Act ”). This
section deems an action to enforce a lien to be discontinued one year after the action is commenced unless either (1) it has been set down for trial or (2) an application has been made for an order to continue the action. Kent Building Supplies, a division of J.D. Irving Ltd., appeals that decision. The two other lienholders affected by the decision, Coastal Drywall Supplies Ltd. and W. Gear Electric Ltd., have not appealed.
Although they are respondents to Kent’s appeal they did not file submissions or appear. [ 2 ] Neither Kent nor the other lienholders set their actions down for trial, nor did they make an application for a continuance within one year of commencing their actions; however, Kent maintains the application judge erred by “strictly interpreting” s. 52.1(1) and applying it in circumstances which it alleges are beyond those contemplated by the Act .
The liens had been registered against a newly-constructed 48-unit apartment building in Dieppe, New Brunswick (the “Property”), but the Property was sold under a prior mortgage and the liens were extinguished. Kent claims that, following the mortgage sale, its lien attached to the surplus proceeds from the sale. It contends s. 52.1(1) is inapplicable in such circumstances and it had no obligation to set down its action for trial (or apply for a continuance) in order to avoid the loss of its lien or entitlement to the surplus.
Kent effectively claims the action to enforce its lien has been subsumed within the interpleader application brought by the mortgagee in response to competing claims to the surplus proceeds. It relies on s. 47(3) of the Property Act , R.S.N.B. 1973 c.
P-19, which provides the proceeds from a mortgage sale, after the payment of the mortgage debt (and expenses), are to “be paid to the person entitled to the mortgaged property”. [ 3 ] I do not agree s. 52.1(1) is inapplicable as a consequence of the mortgage sale removing the liens from the Property, leaving the lienholders with claims against the surplus proceeds from the sale.
Nor do I accept, as an alternative, the interpleader proceeding may be viewed as an enforcement of the lien claims which satisfies the spirit of the obligation to “set down” for trial the actions to enforce the liens (or apply to have them “continued”). No proceeding was commenced in connection with either the lien actions or the mortgage surplus until the mortgagee brought the application in January 2016 seeking directions regarding the surplus, more than two years after the lien actions were commenced. For the reasons that follow, I would dismiss the appeal. II.
Background [ 4 ] There is no dispute regarding the circumstances relevant to the issues on appeal. In 2011, 059143 NB Inc. (“Francis Construction”) commenced construction of the apartment building on the Property and mortgaged it, along with 16 other lots, to Moskowitz Capital Mortgage Fund II Inc. by a mortgage registered on December 23, 2011. By early 2013, in excess of $5 million had been advanced under the mortgage. Francis Construction made a voluntary assignment in bankruptcy on February 24, 2015.
One of the respondents, Raymond Chabot Inc., is its trustee. [ 5 ] Kent filed a Claim of Lien on July 11, 2013, in the amount of $70,520.13. Coastal Drywall and Gear Electric each filed a Claim of Lien, on June 12, 2013, and August 2, 2013, respectively. [ 6 ] In September 2013, Francis Construction gave a second mortgage on the Property to 625663 N.B. Ltd. (“Ernest Co.”), a respondent, to secure up to $1,500,000. In the interpleader application, one of the issues relates to the status of this mortgage.
The application judge noted that Francis Brun, the principal of Francis Construction, and Ernest Brun, the principal of Ernest Co., are brothers. [ 7 ] Kent commenced an action to enforce its lien on September 23, 2013, within the time period (90 days) for doing so under s. 27 of the Act . Similarly, Coastal Drywall and Gear Electric commenced actions within the time for doing so. [ 8 ] On May 20, 2014, Moskowitz issued a Notice of Mortgage Sale to Francis Construction for a sale by public auction to be held on June 24, 2014, claiming a balance due of $5,465,566.98.
Notice was given to those holding subsequent encumbrances, including the lienholders and Ernest Co., the second mortgagee. At the auction, Ernest Co. was the successful bidder at $5,900,000. On the August 1 st closing date, the adjusted closing price of $5,989,608.51 was paid by E & R Brun Investments Inc., the assignee of Ernest Co.’s right to purchase. [ 9 ] Canada Revenue Agency (“CRA”), a respondent, obtained a Memorial of Judgement on August 27, 2014, which it registered against Francis Construction’s remaining properties. CRA had previously issued a Notice of Reassessment, claiming
$1,483,994.89 in unpaid HST due as of December 31, 2013. [ 10 ] The one-year period under s. 52.1(1) for the lienholders to either set their actions down for trial or to apply for a continuance ended for Kent on September 23, 2014; for Coastal Drywall on August 21, 2014; and for Gear Electric on October 10, 2014. [ 11 ] While there was evidence the lienholders sought from Moskowitz an accounting of the mortgage sale and the extent of any surplus, they did not initiate any proceeding in this regard nor, as noted more than once, did they set their actions down for trial (or apply for a continuance). [ 12 ] On January 7, 2016, Ernest Co. filed the application which led to this appeal.
In its capacity as second mortgagee, Ernest Co. sought from Moskowitz: (1) an accounting of the mortgage sale proceeds; (2) that any surplus be turned over to its solicitors “in trust” for the “benefit of subsequent mortgagees and other creditors of [Francis Construction] pursuant to [s]ubsection 47(3) of the Property Act ”; and (3) directions “for the purpose of giving proper notice of the further hearing of the accounting of the proceeds stemming from the Mortgage Sale to any and all creditors and/or persons which have a right or interest in it attending such hearing and to make representations for a final determination relating to the remittance of surplus proceeds”.
Ultimately, by order, Moskowitz paid the surplus of approximately $200,000 to legal counsel for Ernest Co. (to be held in trust pending further order of the court). Moskowitz was removed as a respondent to Ernest Co.’s application and the other parties to this appeal were added as respondents. [ 13 ] On April 5, 2017, the application judge heard the parties respecting the status of the lienholders’ claims and, following an oral decision, he issued an order (on April 18, 2017) which provides the liens: • “are all hereby declared to have expired (liens only – not the claims in debt) as, contrary to…
section 52.1(1)…, these three actions… were not set down for trial within one year…”; • “have no priority or preference over the surplus of $206,858.95 resulting from the mortgage sale…”; and • “all remain valid in as far as they represent legitimate claims by creditors within the Bankruptcy of” Francis Construction. III. Issues on appeal [ 14 ] Kent’s written submission on appeal asserts the judge: i. erred in law in his
interpretation and application of s. 52.1(1)(a); ii. made a palpable and overriding error in declaring the lien claims “to have expired” for not having been set down for trial within one year, when the lien claims had been expunged or removed from the title of the property by the power of sale; iii. made an overriding and palpable error in failing to consider that obtaining a judgment enforcing the lien was impossible , when the lien against the property no longer existed and Francis Construction no longer owned the property; and iv. made an overriding and palpable error in failing to consider the remedial nature of the Act and by stating Kent had no entitlement to the $206,858.95 surplus.
IV. Analysis [ 15 ] All of Kent’s submissions on appeal are rooted in its first and primary submission that the judge erred in law in his application of s. 52.1(1) by erroneously giving it a strict, literal, non-remedial
interpretation. The submissions identified above as (ii), (iii) and (iv) are, for all practical purposes, arguments marshalled in support of that position. Accordingly, they will not be addressed
separately. If successful on appeal, Kent seeks an order from this Court directing that it receive $70,520.13, claiming its lien is a chargeon the mortgage surplus in priority to the second mortgagee, Ernest Co. The decision appealed concluded the actions had beendiscontinued.
Even if it were set aside, the lien claims would still need to be tried or otherwise adjudicated. [16] Ernest Co. claims priority over the surplus, maintaining the application judge did not err; it submits s. 52.1(1)is unambiguous and the judge was correct to declare the actions to enforce the liens had been discontinued or, as commonly described,the liens had expired. Ernest Co. submits the lienholders continued to have the obligation, after the mortgage sale, to enforce their liensagainst the surplus.
It relies on decisions of New Brunswick courts which have determined an action to enforce a lien is deemed to bediscontinued, pursuant to s. 52.1(1), if the action to enforce a lien is not set down for trial or an application has not been made for acontinuance (Allan Window Technologies Ltd. v. 6877869, 2013 NBQB 417, 420 N.B.R. (2d) 95; Everett Lord Builders Ltd. v. ExecutiveChef Services Ltd., 2005 NBQB 309, 289 N.B.R. (2d) 265).
This being said, none of the decisions identified considered circumstanceswhere a mortgage sale of the property intervened before s. 52.1(1) would apply, which is the focus of Kent’s position in this case.
Thereis no dispute with Kent’s claim that following the mortgage sale the liens attached to the owner’s interest in the surplus (see: Re PanverConstruction Ltd. (1987), (ON SC), 57 O.R. (2d) 758 (QL); Ernest Co. takes issue with Kent’s assertion thelienholders did not continue to have the obligation, after the mortgage sale, to set down their actions for trial (or apply for a continuance)to avoid having them discontinued by s. 52.1(1). [17] Francis Construction’s trustee took no position on the appeal, except to point out that at the time of themortgage sale, when a trust arose in connection with the surplus proceeds, the liens were valid since the one-year period provided in s.52.1(1) had not passed.
The trustee suggests this raises the question of whether the validity of the liens ought to have been determined bythe application judge as of the time of the mortgage sale or as of a later time. The trustee advised it was unable to identify any authorityto assist in answering the question. [18] CRA did not file a submission and took no position at the hearing of the appeal. [19] Following the hearing of this appeal, Kent provided the Court with Reasons for Decision rendered by theapplication judge on January 9, 2018, in connection with various decisions made in the application.
These reasons include a synopsis ofhis reasons for the decision appealed, which he had rendered orally on April 18, 2017. Naturally, the Reasons are not relevant on appeal,except to the extent they relate to the April 18, 2017 decision appealed. Only Kent chose to file a further Post-Hearing Submission as aconsequence of the Reasons. I would also note it appeared, at the time the appeal was heard, the quantum of the debt claimed by ErnestCo. was sufficiently large that, even if the liens were invalid, no part of the surplus would flow beyond Ernest Co., to either the trustee orCRA.
To the extent the application judge’s January 9, 2018 decision impacts the debt claimed by Ernest Co., this may have changed;however, any such change is of no consequence to his earlier decision regarding the discontinuance of the lien actions and/or this appeal. [20] Kent’s assertion the application judge erred by applying s. 52.1(1)(
a) is grounded in the fact that, after themortgage sale, it no longer held a lien against the Property, possessing instead a lien against the surplus proceeds from the sale. Kentargues this made it “impossible” for it to maintain an action to “enforce a lien” as is contemplated by the Act: it argues the loss of its lienagainst the Property precludes an application of s. 52.1(1). Kent maintains the failure of the Act to specifically address the circumstancesof a mortgage sale of the property subject to a lien calls for an
interpretation of the Act which does not require it to satisfy s. 52.1(1); itsubmits the provision is rendered inapplicable and inoperative in such circumstances. Kent relies on the interpretative analysis applied bythe Alberta Court of Appeal in Re Driden Industries Ltd. and Sieber et al., 1974 ALTASCAD 14 , [1974] A.J. No. 251 (QL). [21] Before addressing Kent’s assertion that Driden applies, it is helpful to briefly review the provisions of the Actwhich articulate the creation of a lien and the conditions necessary for its continuation.
Also of significance are the provisions relating tothe enforcement of a lien. [22] The Act automatically creates a lien “in favour of any person who causes work to be done, provides services orfurnishes any material” to property; however, the Act terminates the lien if the lienholder fails to take steps toward enforcing the lien.After a lien arises, this unregistered lien will “cease to exist” unless, within either 60 or 90 days (depending on the basis for the lien), aClaim of Lien is registered.
Following this, the registered lien will “cease to exist” unless, within 90 days, an action to enforce the lien iscommenced and a certificate of pending litigation is registered. The lienholder’s action to enforce its lien will “be deemed to bediscontinued unless, within one year, the action is set down for trial or an application has been made to continue that action”. Sections25, 27 and 52.1(1) are as follows:
Expiry of unregistered lien 25 Every lien in respect of which a claim of lien is not filed ceases to exist on the expiration of the time herein limited for the filing thereof. Expiration d’une revendication non- déposée 25 Tout privilège pour lequel une revendication n’a pas été déposée, devient caduc à l’expiration du délai de dépôt que prévoit la présente loi.
Expiry of registered lien 27 Every lien in respect of which a claim of lien has been filed ceases to exist on the expiration of ninety days from the filing of the claim of lien or after the expiry of any period of credit mentioned in the claim of lien unless, in the meantime, an action is commenced in which the lien may be enforced, and a certificate of pending litigation in respect thereof issued from the court in the form prescribed by regulation is registered in the proper registry office.
Expiration d’une revendication déposée 27 Tout privilège pour lequel une revendication a été déposée devient caduc à l’expiration de quatre-vingt-dix jours à partir du dépôt de la revendication ou après l’expiration de la durée du crédit qui y est mentionnée, à moins que, dans l’intervalle, une action ne soit intentée pour faire valoir le privilège et qu’un certificat d’affaire en instance à cet égard délivré par la cour selon la formule que prescrit le règlement, ne soit enregistré au bureau de l’enregistrement compétent. When action deemed discontinued 52.1
(1) An action to enforce a lien shall be deemed to be discontinued one year after the action is commenced unless (
a) the action has been set down for trial, or (
b) an application has been made to a judge of the Court of Queen’s Bench of New Brunswick for an order continuing the action and a copy of the notice of application has been served on the defendant to the action. Action réputée être abandonnée 52.1
(1) Une action visant l’exercice d’un privilège est réputée être abandonnée un an après son introduction, sauf si
a) l’action a été mise au rôle, ou
b) une requête a été présentée à un juge de la Cour du Banc de la Reine du Nouveau- Brunswick pour obtenir une ordonnance de reprise de l’action et si une copie de l’avis de la requête a été signifiée au défendeur à l’action. In ordering the continuance of an action, the judge may impose terms and conditions and may give directions appropriate for the continuation of the action (s. 52.1(2)). [ 23 ] A lien encumbers “the estate or interest of the owner in the land….as such estate or interest exists at the time the lien arises, or at any time during its existence” (s. 4(1)).
It has “priority over all judgments, executions, assignments, attachments, garnishments and receiving orders recovered, issued or made after the lien arises” (s. 9(1)(a)). [ 24 ] A lien may be enforced by action according to the ordinary procedure of the Court of Queen’s Bench, except where varied by the Act ( s. 33 ). The action brought by a lienholder is deemed to be brought on behalf of all other lienholders “whose time to bring action has not expired” ( s. 38 ).
Where more than one action is brought to realize on liens respecting the same land, a judge may consolidate the actions and give conduct of the action to a plaintiff (s. 48). The party who sets the action down for trial must serve a notice of trial on all lienholders who have filed liens and all other persons having a charge or claim on the land (s. 40). A lienholder who fails to file a statement showing the particulars of his/her claim within 6 days of receiving the notice of trial is precluded from asserting his/her lien, unless otherwise ordered by a judge (s. 42).
[ 25 ] Following trial, a judge “may order that the estate or interest charged with the lien be sold” (s. 44(1)). Where property is sold, the proceeds are to be paid into court and a judge shall direct to whom the money shall be paid. Every judgment shall determine the amount of any deficiency due to a lienholder, if any, following a sale (s. 46). Where a claimant fails to establish a valid lien, he or she may nevertheless recover a personal judgement. [ 26 ] The Act contains provisions to address two situations where a lien does not continue to attach to property through to a trial in the ordinary course.
The first and most common of these is where funds are paid into court to vacate a lien against land (or a bond is posted). In Driden and other cases referred to below, it was pursuant to the equivalent of this provision that the lien in question had been vacated against land. As will be seen, the object of this provision featured prominently in the reasons for the decision in Driden and these other decisions. Additionally, these provisions are relevant to an appreciation of the scheme of the Act . Sections 51(1) and 51(3) of the Act provide: Payment into court; order vacating lien 51
(1) A judge may at any time receive security for, or payment into court of, the amount claimed in a filed claim of lien together with such costs as the judge may fix; and the judge may thereupon order the filing of the claim of lien be vacated. 51
(3) Money paid into court or any security given in an action, (
a) takes the place of the land against which the claim of lien was filed, and (
b) subject to subsection (4), and notwithstanding that no certificate has been filed as required by
section 27 is subject to the claim of every person who has filed a lien and, before the time limited by
section 27 has expired, has commenced an action, to the same extent as if the money had been realized by a sale of the property in an action to enforce the lien. Montant versé au tribunal; ordonnance annulant le privilège 51
(1) Un juge peut recevoir en tout temps une garantie pour le montant qui fait l’objet d’une revendication de privilège déposée ainsi que les dépens fixés par le juge ou la consignation à la cour de ce montant; il peut alors ordonner l’annulation du dépôt de la revendication de privilège. 51
(3) La somme d’argent consignée à la cour ou toute garantie fournie dans une action
a) remplace le bien-fonds pour lequel la revendication de privilège a été déposée, et
b) sous réserve du paragraphe (4), et bien qu’aucun certificat n’ait été déposé comme le veut l’article 27, est soumise à la revendication de quiconque a déposé un privilège et intenté une action avant l’expiration des délais prescrits par l’article 27, dans la même mesure que si la somme d’argent avait été réalisée par une vente du bien dans une action intentée pour exercer le privilège. [ 27 ] The second situation is where a property has been wholly or partially destroyed by fire and insurance proceeds become available.
Section 13 of the Act states:
Fire 13 Where a property in respect of which a lien has arisen is wholly or partly destroyed by fire, any money received or receivable by an owner or by a prior mortgagee or chargee by reason of insurance thereon takes the place of the property so destroyed, and is, after satisfying any prior mortgage or charge in the manner and to the extent set out in subsection 9(4), subject to the claims of lienholders to the same extent as if the money were realized by a sale of the property in an action to enforce a lien.
Incendie 13 Lorsqu’un bien qui a donné lieu à la naissance d’un privilège est entièrement ou partiellement détruit par un incendie, toute somme d’argent qu’un propriétaire, un créancier hypothécaire ou un titulaire d’une charge ayant l’antériorité a reçue ou doit recevoir en raison d’une assurance remplace le bien ainsi détruit et, après mainlevée de toute hypothèque ou charge antérieure de la manière et dans la mesure prescrites au paragraphe 9(4), elle est exposée aux revendications des titulaires de privilège dans la même mesure que si la somme d’argent était le produit d’une vente du bien dans une action intentée pour faire valoir un privilège. [ 28 ] Whether a court receives funds (or a bond) to vacate a lien against the property, or insurance proceeds are received by an owner (or by a prior mortgagee), the Act provides that the funds are “subject to the claims of lienholders to the same extent as if the money were realized by a sale of the property in an action to enforce a lien”.
In practical terms, the Act permits the funds (or bond) to substitute for the property. Notwithstanding the absence of such a provision applicable in this case, there is, as noted, no dispute regarding Kent’s claim the mortgage surplus became subject to its lien following the sale. [ 29 ] A dopting the conclusions drawn in Driden , Kent claims the application judge should have found s. 52.1(1) to be inapplicable, and the requirement to set its action down for trial (or apply for a continuance) unnecessary.
In Driden , the court determined a lienholder was not required to commence an action or file a certificate of lis pendens in order to avoid the application of s. 32 of the Alberta legislation after the registration of a lien against land had been vacated by a payment into court.
Section 32 of the Alberta legislation at that time (similar to s. 27 of the Act ) provided that a lien “ceases to exist” unless, within 180 days of registering a Claim of Lien, the lienholder commences an action to enforce its lien and registers a certificate of lis pendens . As Kent emphasizes, notwithstanding the clear language of s. 32, the court relieved the lienholder from the obligation to both commence an action and register a certificate of lis pendens . [ 30 ] Important to the analysis in this case, the court in Driden addressed these two elements of s. 32 distinctly.
First, the court interpreted the s. 32 obligation to register a certificate of lis pendens as applying only to liens still registered against the land. The court reasoned it would be contrary to the purpose of the legislation to require registration of a certificate against the very land which had the registered lien vacated by the payment into court, pursuant to another provision in the legislation which expressly permitted the lien to be vacated.
Second, the court concluded s. 32 did not operate to terminate the lien, even though an action had not been commenced, since funds had been paid into court to vacate the lien against the land. McDermid J.A., for the court, framed the analysis by asking the question: “does the lienholder have any duty to proceed to have his claim determined” after the funds paid into court take the place of the land.
He reasoned that, in the absence of an express procedure under the legislation to determine the entitlement of lienholders to funds paid into court, the proper procedure is to “ask the Court to settle the issue[s] to be decided and direct” the procedure to be followed at the time the court receives the funds. It was on this basis McDermid J.A. concluded it was unnecessary for the lienholder to subsequently commence an action as provided in s. 32. He explained: Now if s. 36 and s. 35 do not apply, does the lienholder have any duty to proceed to have his claim determined?
There is nothing in s. 35 which sets out the procedure to be followed after the money is paid into Court. It does provide that the money is subject to the claim of all persons for liens to the same extent as if the money had been realized by a sale of land in an action to enforce the lien . When s. 46 is referred to, which is the
section relating to the application of moneys realized from the sale of land, the preceding sections show clearly that this point, as to how the moneys are to be applied, is not reached until there has been a trial and the validity of the liens and any other matters have been determined.
Section 18 of the Act also provides that where money is paid into Court by an owner or mortgagee there is to be a trial. I think an analogous procedure should be followed in connection with a payment into Court under s. 35, and the proper procedure to be followed is for the applicant, at the same time as the money is paid into Court, to ask the Court to settle the issue to be decided and direct who should be the plaintiff and who should be the defendant . Although s. 36(6) (quoted, supra ) does not apply to s. 35, yet it does show the general intention of the Legislature for it provides that proceedings are to be of a
summary character and the enforcement thereof is to be at the least expense.
It would have been better if the Legislature had spelled out the procedure to be followed when moneys were paid into Court under s. 35,but since it has not done so the procedure to be followed must be decided by reference to analogous provisions of the Act. Therefore,there should be a direction by the Court as to procedure when the application to pay the moneys into Court is made.
Section 39 whichprovides for a pre-trial application would apply after there has been a direction as to the issue and who is to be plaintiff and who is to bedefendant. It might even be that all these matters could be settled in the same application. [paras. 12-14] [31] In my view, the basis for the decision in Driden is much more limited than Kent submits. The decision turnedon the fact funds were paid into court – pursuant to a
section in the legislation which had as its purpose the removal of a lien againstland. The court reasoned that this section: (1) rendered the obligation to subsequently register a certificate of lis pendens under s. 32inconsistent with an object of the legislation; and (2) meant the process for the determination of entitlement to the funds held by thecourt ought to be determined by the court at the time the funds are paid in – thus relieving the lienholder from thereafter continuing tohave a duty to commence a separate action to avoid the loss of its lien under s. 32.
This decision cannot be interpreted as authority for thebroad proposition that the legislation has no application in circumstances which are not expressly addressed by the legislation, as Kenteffectively submits. [32] The fairly surgical basis upon which the lienholder in Driden was relieved of the obligation to file a certificateor commence an action is similarly reflected in the decisions of other courts which have likewise concluded that, after funds have beenpaid into court to vacate a lien (or a bond has been provided), the requirement to register a certificate of pending litigation (underprovisions similar to s. 27 of the Act) is unnecessary.
However, in one such decision, although the court determined, as in Driden, therequirement to file a certificate of pending litigation was unnecessary, the court expressed a different view of the obligation to commencean action. [33] The Nova Scotia Court of Appeal, in 1965907 Nova Scotia Ltd. (c.o.b. S & V Electric) v. 1680265 Nova ScotiaLtd., 1995 NSCA 33 , [1995] N.S.J. No. 121 (QL), considered the status of a lien which had been vacated against property bythe posting of a bond.
While an action to enforce the lien had been commenced within the 90-day period for doing so, a certificate ofpending litigation had not been filed within the 90-day period as was also required under s. 26(1) of the Nova Scotia legislation (similarto Alberta’s s. 32 referenced in Driden and s. 27 of the Act). As in Driden, the court concluded the obligation of filing a certificate ofpending litigation was not necessary since the lien no longer encumbered the land. The court relied on the reasons given by the BritishColumbia Court of Appeal in Universal Supply Co. Ltd. et al. v. S. Radatske Construction Co.
Ltd. (1972), (BC CA),29 D.L.R. (3d) 251. In Universal Supply, the court considered whether a lien was invalid because a certificate of lis pendens had not beenfiled within one year as required by the legislation. On the basis that the title to the land was irrelevant because the amount of the lienhad been paid into court to vacate the lien, the court concluded the lienholder was entitled to maintain its action despite having failed toregister a certificate of lis pendens.
In his reasons, Clarke C.J.N.S. reproduced the following comments of the trial judge in Universal: The registration of a lis pendens in a Land Registry Office can only affect the title to the land involved and accomplishes nothing withrespect to money in Court. It not only becomes a meaningless requirement but it, in my opinion, defeats the purpose of s. 33 of the statutewhich is to enable an owner to clear the title to his land. I think, therefore, that s. 26(1) must be interpreted as obligatory with respect tothe registration of a lis pendens in a Land Registry Office only where there is land to be affected.
Where there is money in Court under s.33 there is, in my opinion, no longer any land so far as the lien claimants secured by the money in Court are concerned.
It follows that s.27 must be interpreted in so far as reference is made to the registration of a lis pendens in the Land Registry Office as of no significanceunless the land involved still exists for the purposes of the lien claimant, which, in this case, it does not, having been substituted bymoney in Court. [34] However, Clarke C.J.N.S. had a different view of the obligation to commence an action following a lien beingvacated against land by the posting of a bond. Albeit in obiter, he expressed the opinion that the failure to commence an action could befatal.
He said: The objective of the legislation is to provide a means whereby providers of work, services and supplies can receive a measure ofprotection from financial loss. The legislature determined its objective could best be achieved by a legislative scheme whereby, uponfollowing statutory procedures in a timely way, such claims can attach to the land which is the most valuable asset. The thrust is againstthe land. It is designed to create an encumbrance and by registration of documents at the Registry of Deeds to warn the world that thetitle to the land is impaired.
Section 26(1) is important to the scheme because it explains how a lien claim will expire unless certain things are done within strict timelimits. In the circumstances of this case, S & V Electric/Guardian came within all of the specified time requirements relative to the filingof its claim and the commencement of its action.
An intervention occurred on February 7, 1990 and that was as provided by s. 29(4): The registration of the lien claim was vacated by anorder of the Court upon Guarantee posting a bond in a principal sum in excess of the amount claimed by Guardian. At that point thethrust of the proceeding changed. It ceased to be a claim against the land. It became a claim against a fund provided by Guarantee.
Insuch circumstances it is well nigh impossible to imagine that the Legislature, by the employment of one of its statutory devices (s.29(4)), could have intended that the title should continue to be encumbered by a claim that so far the land was concerned, ceased to exist.The land was no longer in peril. Its liability to respond to the claim was transferred to a fund. It was to the fund and not the land thathenceforth the action would be pursued. At that point no useful purpose could possibly be served by registering a certificate of lispendens in the Registry of Deeds.
To do so would in fact mislead the world by giving notice of an impediment on the title that did notexist. The purpose of vacation (s. 29(4)) is to clear title so that the owner can get on with its business while at the same time serving thelegislative objective of providing security for deserving claimants by another means. Lawrence, on its facts, was doomed to fail. Not so much for the failure to register a certificate of lis pendens but rather because it didnot begin its action as required by the Act. A lis pendens was required in C.G.
Tech because the statutory filing and registrationrequirements were not then overtaken by s. 29(4). Those are significant and material differences that do not exist in this case whereGuardian did all that the Act required of it. Had Guardian not filed its statement of claim, again within time, it would have been indifficulty under the Act even though the filing took place after the order to vacate was issued by the Court. The order to vacate did not excuse Guardian from the timely issue of its statement of claim to preserve its action against thefund.
To require Guardian to register a certificate of lis pendens in those circumstances would by itself create an impediment on the titlethat s. 29(4) was intended to remove. On the first issue the contentions of the respondents Guardian and Haynes Lally Dalziel should be sustained with the result thatGuardian has a valid lien claim. The registration of the certificate of lis pendens was unnecessary. [paras. 29-34] [Emphasis added.] [35] None of this is authority for the
interpretation advanced by Kent, nor, in my view, can the principles articulatedbe logically extended to support the
interpretation Kent advances. The rationale behind the determination that it is not necessary toregister a certificate of pending litigation following the removal of a registered lien, by a payment into court pursuant to a provision ofthe legislation for that purpose, is beyond question. The rationale for interpreting the same provision as not requiring a lienholder tocommence an action is less convincing, which, in my opinion, is reflected in the different views expressed in Driden and 1965907 NovaScotia.
Common to each of these cases is that they addressed situations where, under the applicable legislation, an application to courthad been made to vacate the lien from land.
That is not the situation here, where, quite simply, nothing happened under the Act before s.52.1(1) would operate to discontinue the action. [36] Kent maintains it was not required to take any action to enforce its lien since the sale of the property is not acircumstance addressed by the Act and its lien is against the surplus. [37] There is no dispute a plain reading of s. 52.1(1) leads to the conclusion Kent’s action to enforce its lien isdeemed to be discontinued, as are the other two liens.
There is also no suggestion such an application of s. 52.1(1) is erroneous because itis inconsistent with the operation of another provision of the Act. Kent maintains s. 52.1(1) does not apply because the
section isoperative only when the lien remains an encumbrance against land. [38]
Section 52.1(1) must be interpreted in the context of, and consistent with, the scheme of the Act as a whole andit is to be interpreted liberally. As has been stated by this Court in Domtar Inc. v. 404599 Ontario Ltd. (1991), (NBCA), 116 N.B.R. (2d) 202, [1991] N.B.J. No. 432 (C.A.) (QL): The Mechanics’ Lien Act of New Brunswick specifically provides that the object of the Act is to enforce liens at the least expense by wayof a
summary procedure. Section 61(2) reads: 61(2) The object of this Act being to enforce liens at the least expense, the procedure shall be, as far as possible, of a
summary characterhaving regard to the amount and nature of the liens in question. In choosing the words “the procedure shall be, as far as possible, of a
summary character” the legislature has made an important, butoften overlooked, statement to the legal profession. That the procedure is to be of a
summary character means that the technicalities and
formalities of the common law should be avoided. The process followed should be simple. If it is simple, expeditiousness will follow asa natural by-product. In my opinion, and here I fall quickly in line with the weight of decided authority, the provisions of the Act creating the right to a lien areto be strictly construed whereas provisions dealing with procedure on the enforcement of the lien are to receive a broad and liberalconstruction.
In Macklem & Bristow, Construction Builders’ and Mechanics’ Liens in Canada, 6th ed. (Toronto: Carswell, 1990) at 1-8 - 1-9 theauthors say: Once the right to a lien is established, the Courts have expressed the view that effect should be given to the spirit rather than to the letterof the statute with respect to the provisions dealing with enforcement of that right […]. Thus, while the Courts oppose a liberalinterpretation of the sections of the Act creating the lien, they have shown that they are equally opposed to technical defences andarguments designed to defeat a lien that has already been created.
As was held in Fitzgerald and Powell v. Apperley, (SK CA), [1926] 2 W.W.R. 689 (Sask. C.A.), the provisions of the Act should be construed to ensure the attainment of its object, anderrors committed by one entitled to a lien ought to be remedied when this can reasonably be done without prejudicing anyone's rights. In short, it is contrary to the object of the Act and judicial
interpretation to treat the delivery of the statement of claim within 90 days as asubstantive provision and thus to defeat the object of the Act on a technicality. [paras. 27-31] [39] In the circumstances of this case, there is simply no principled basis for disregarding the plain language of s.52.1(1). Kent had a lien it was required to enforce in accordance with the Act.
As this relates to the action to enforce its lien, it is difficultto see any reason why the scheme of the Act, and s. 52.1(1) in particular, would operate differently, depending on whether the object ofthe lien was land, funds paid into court or, as in this case, surplus proceeds from the sale of the land. In neither of the situations wherethe Act provides for a claim against funds (or a bond) in the place of land does the Act expressly relieve a lienholder from thereafterhaving the obligation of complying with ss. 25, 27 or 52.1(1), or bearing the risk of not complying with those sections.
Certainly, I canfind no such intention from the provisions of the Act which would apply in these circumstances. [40]
Section 47 of the Property Act is of no assistance to avoiding the operation of s. 52.1(1). There is no doubt itestablishes a trust in the hands of the mortgagee, to the extent that the mortgagee receives from the sale an amount that is greater than thedebt due, including expenses (see: Central Trust Co. v. Phaseco Ltd. et al. (1988), (NB CA), 93 N.B.R. (2d) 157,[1988] N.B.J. No. 1059 (QL)).
This does nothing to affect or determine the rights between competing claimants to the surplus funds.Importantly in this case, neither the provision nor the trust which results excludes the application of the Act in relation to the validity ofthe lien. While it may be possible for an interpleader application respecting such funds to confront the issues to be determined in amanner that may be characterized as satisfying the requirements of the Act, such is not the case here.
The interpleader application wasbrought more than two years after the lien claimants’ actions were commenced. [41] I agree with the position implicitly advanced by the trustee: timing is relevant to a priority dispute. However,there is more to it than that. While the lienholders possessed valid liens at the time the mortgage sale occurred and the surplus arose, theliens continued to be subject to the provisions of the Act which established the requirements for continuing and ultimately proving thevalidity of the liens.
The sale did not relieve the lienholders of their then-unfulfilled obligations to prove their liens. V. Disposition [42] For these reasons, I conclude the disposition of the application judge does not reflect an error in law and Iwould dismiss the appeal with costs of $2,000 payable by Kent to Ernest Co. (625663 N.B. Ltd.).
Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par LE JUGE FRENCH I. Introduction [1] Un juge de la Cour du Banc de la Reine a décidé que trois actions visant l’exercice de privilèges étaient réputées être abandonnées par application du par. 52.1(1) de la
Loi sur le privilège des constructeurs et des fournisseurs de matériaux , L.R.N.-B. 1973, ch. M-6 (la « Loi »). Ce paragraphe prévoit qu’une action visant l’exercice d’un privilège est réputée être abandonnée un an après son introduction, sauf si (1) l’action a été mise au rôle ou (2) une requête a été présentée pour obtenir une ordonnance de reprise de l’action. Kent Building Supplies, une division de J.D. Irving, Limited, interjette appel de cette décision. Les deux autres titulaires de privilèges visées par la décision, Coastal Drywall Supplies Ltd. et W. Gear Electric Ltd., n’ont pas interjeté appel.
Même si elles sont intimées à l’appel introduit par Kent, elles n’ont pas déposé de mémoires ou comparu. [2] Ni Kent ni les autres titulaires de privilèges n’ont mis leurs actions au rôle ou présenté une requête en vue d’obtenir une ordonnance de reprise de l’action dans un délai d’un an à compter de la date de l’introduction de leurs demandes. Toutefois, Kent soutient que le juge saisi de la requête a commis une erreur en [TRADUCTION] « interprétant d’une façon stricte » le par. 52.1(1) et en l’appliquant à une situation qui ne s’inscrit pas, selon elle, dans celles que la Loi prévoit .
Les privilèges ont été enregistrés contre un immeuble d’habitation de 48 logements nouvellement construit à Dieppe, au Nouveau-Brunswick (ci-après le « bien »), mais ce bien a été vendu aux termes d’une hypothèque de rang antérieur, et les privilèges ont été éteints. Kent soutient que son privilège a grevé l’excédent du produit de la vente hypothécaire à la suite de celle-ci.
Elle affirme que le par. 52.1(1) ne s’applique pas dans de telles circonstances et qu’elle n’avait aucune obligation de mettre son affaire au rôle (ou de demander une reprise de l’action) pour éviter de perdre son privilège ou son droit à l’excédent. Effectivement, Kent affirme que l’action visant l’exercice de son privilège a été intégrée dans la requête en entreplaiderie introduite par le créancier hypothécaire en réponse aux demandes concurrentes visant l’excédent du produit de la vente. L’action est fondée sur le par. 47(3) de la
Loi sur les biens , L.R.N.-B. 1973, ch. P-19, qui prévoit que le produit d’une vente hypothécaire, après le remboursement de la dette hypothécaire (et le paiement des dépenses), « doit être versé à la personne qui a droit au bien hypothéqué ». [3] Je ne partage pas l’avis que le par. 52.1(1) est inapplicable en raison du fait que la vente hypothécaire a éliminé les privilèges grevant le bien, laissant les titulaires de privilège avec des demandes visant l’excédent du produit de la vente.
Je n’accepte pas non plus la prétention subsidiaire selon laquelle la procédure d’entreplaiderie peut être considérée comme un moyen d’exercer une revendication de privilège qui respecte l’esprit de l’obligation de mettre l’action au rôle pour exercer un privilège (ou de demander la reprise de l’action).
Aucune procédure n’a été intentée relativement aux actions en exercice de privilège ou à l’excédent de la vente hypothécaire jusqu’à ce que le créancier hypothécaire ait présenté la requête sollicitant des directives quant à l’excédent, en janvier 2016, à savoir plus de deux ans après l’introduction des actions visant l’exercice des privilèges. Pour les motifs qui suivent, je suis d’avis de rejeter l’appel. II. Contexte [4] Il n’y a aucune contestation en ce qui concerne les faits relatifs aux questions à trancher en appel. En 2011, 059143 N.B.
Inc. (ci-après « Francis Construction ») a commencé la construction de l’immeuble d’habitation sur le bien et l’a grevé, ainsi que 16 autres lots, d’une hypothèque en faveur de la Moskowitz Capital Mortgage Fund II Inc. enregistrée le 23 décembre 2011. Au début de 2013, une somme de plus de 5 millions de dollars avait été avancée en vertu de l’hypothèque. Le 24 février 2015, Francis Construction a fait une cession volontaire en faillite. Une des parties intimées, Raymond Chabot Inc., en est la syndique. [5] Le 11 juillet 2013, Kent a déposé une revendication de privilège pour une somme de
70 520,13 $. Coastal Drywall et Gear Electric ont chacune déposé une revendication de privilège, le 12 juin 2013 et le 2 août 2013, respectivement. [6] En septembre 2013, Francis Construction a consenti une hypothèque de deuxième rang sur le bien à 625663 N.B. Ltd. (ci-après « Ernest Co. »), une intimée, pour obtenir jusqu’à 1 500 000 $. Une des questions soulevées dans la requête en entreplaiderie se rapporte à la situation de cette hypothèque.
Le juge saisi de la requête a fait remarquer que Francis Brun, le principal responsable de Francis Construction, et Ernest Brun, le principal responsable d’Ernest Co., sont des frères. [7] Kent a intenté une action visant l’exercice de son privilège le 23 septembre 2013, donc à l’intérieur du délai (de 90 jours) prévu à l’art. 27 de la Loi .
De même, Coastal Drywall et Gear Electric ont intenté des actions dans le délai prévu. [8] Le 20 mai 2014, Moskowitz a communiqué à Francis Construction un avis de vente hypothécaire par voie de vente aux enchères publiques le 24 juin 2014, réclamant un solde dû de 5 465 566,98 $. Un avis a été donné aux grevants de rang inférieur, y compris les titulaires de privilèges et Ernest Co., le créancier hypothécaire de deuxième rang. À la vente aux enchères, Ernest Co., qui avait proposé un prix de 5 900 000 $, a été la soumissionnaire retenue.
À la date de clôture, le 1 er août, le prix rajusté de 5 989 608,51 $ a été payé par E & R Brun Investments Inc., la cessionnaire du droit d’achat d’Ernest Co. [9] Le 27 août 2014, l’Agence du revenu du Canada (l’« ARC »), une des intimées, a obtenu un extrait de jugement et l’a enregistré à l’encontre des biens restants de Francis Construction.
L’ARC avait précédemment communiqué un avis de nouvelle cotisation réclamant la somme de 1 483 994,89 $ en TVH non payée, exigible à compter du 31 décembre 2013. [10] Le délai d’un an, prévu au par. 52.1(1), dans lequel les titulaires de privilèges sont tenus soit de mettre leur action au rôle, soit de demander une reprise de l’action, a expiré le 23 septembre 2014 pour Kent, le 21 août 2014 pour Coastal Drywall et le 10 octobre 2014 pour Gear Electric. [11] Même si certains éléments de preuve indiquent que les titulaires de privilèges ont demandé à Moskowitz une reddition de compte relativement à la vente hypothécaire et le montant de l’excédent, le cas échéant, ils n’ont ni intenté de procédure à cet égard ni, comme on l’a noté plus d’une fois, mis leurs actions au rôle (ou demandé une reprise des actions). [12] Le 7 janvier 2016, Ernest Co. a déposé la requête qui a mené au présent appel.
En sa qualité de créancière hypothécaire de deuxième rang, Ernest Co. a demandé ce qui suit à Moskowitz : (1) une reddition de compte relativement au produit de la vente hypothécaire; (2) la remise de tout excédent à ses avocats [TRADUCTION] « en fiducie » au [TRADUCTION] « profit de créanciers hypothécaires de rang postérieur et d’autres créanciers de [Francis Construction] en application du paragraphe 47(3) de la
Loi sur les biens » et (3) des directives [TRADUCTION] « afin de donner un avis suffisant de l’audience supplémentaire sur la reddition de compte relativement au produit de la vente hypothécaire à tous les créanciers et à toutes les personnes qui détiennent un droit ou un intérêt sur celui-ci et qui seront présents à cette audience, et afin de présenter des observations en vue d’obtenir une décision définitive quant à la remise de l’excédent du produit de la vente ».
En fin de compte, aux termes d’une ordonnance, Moskowitz a payé l’excédent d’environ 200 000 $ aux conseillers juridiques d’Ernest Co. (à être détenu en fiducie jusqu’à nouvelle ordonnance de la Cour).
Moskowitz a été retirée comme intimée à la requête d’Ernest Co. et les autres parties au présent appel ont été ajoutées comme intimées. [13] Le 5 avril 2017, le juge saisi de la requête a entendu les parties sur la situation des revendications des titulaires de privilèges et, après avoir rendu une décision oralement, il a rendu une ordonnance (le 18 avril 2017) qui prévoit que les privilèges : • [TRADUCTION] « sont tous, par les présentes, déclarés être expirés (les privilèges seulement, et non les créances) puisque, contrairement à ce que prévoit le … paragraphe 52.1(1)…, ces trois actions… n’ont pas été mises au rôle dans un délai d’un an… »; • [TRADUCTION] « ne jouissent d’aucune priorité ni préférence relativement à l’excédent de 206 858,95 $ résultant de la vente hypothécaire… »; • [TRADUCTION] « demeurent tous valides dans la mesure où ils constituent des revendications légitimes de la part de créanciers dans la faillite de [Francis Construction] ».
III. Questions à trancher en appel [14] Kent affirme dans son mémoire d’appel que le juge a commis les erreurs suivantes :
i) il a commis une erreur de droit dans son interprétation et son application de l’al. 52.1(1)a); ii) il a commis une erreur manifeste et dominante lorsqu’il a déclaré que les revendications de privilèges étaient « expiré[e]s » parcequ’elles n’avaient pas été mises au rôle dans un délai d’un an, alors que ces revendications avaient été radiées ou éliminées du
titre depropriété par l’exercice du pouvoir de vente; iii) il a commis une erreur manifeste et dominante lorsqu’il n’a pas tenu compte du fait qu’il était impossible d’obtenir un jugementpermettant d’exercer le privilège lorsque le privilège grevant le bien n’existait plus et que Francis Construction n’était plus propriétairedu bien; iv) il a commis une erreur manifeste et dominante lorsqu’il n’a pas tenu compte de la nature réparatrice de la Loi et lorsqu’il a affirméque Kent n’avait aucun droit sur l’excédent de 206 858,95 $. IV.
Analyse [15] Toutes les observations que Kent a présentées en appel sont fondées sur son premier etprincipal argument, selon lequel le juge aurait commis une erreur de droit dans son application du par. 52.1(1) en lui donnant, à tort, uneinterprétation stricte, littérale et non réparatrice. Les observations indiquées ci-dessus et portant les numéros ii., iii. et iv. sont, en fait, desarguments étayant cette position. Par conséquent, je ne les aborderai pas séparément.
Si son appel est accueilli, Kent sollicite uneordonnance de notre Cour prescrivant qu’elle reçoive la somme de 70 520,13 $, affirmant que son privilège est une charge grevantl’excédent hypothécaire qui a priorité par rapport au créancier hypothécaire de deuxième rang, à savoir Ernest Co. Il a été conclu dans ladécision dont appel que les actions ont été abandonnées.
Même si la décision était annulée, les revendications de privilège devraient toutde même faire l’objet d’un procès ou être autrement tranchées. [16] Ernest Co. revendique un rang prioritaire relativement à l’excédent, en soutenant que le jugesaisi de la requête n’a pas commis d’erreur.
Elle avance que le par. 52.1(1) n’est pas ambigu et que le juge avait raison de déclarer queles actions visant l’exercice des privilèges avaient été abandonnées ou, comme on le décrit souvent, que les privilèges avaient expiré.Ernest Co. soutient que les titulaires de privilèges continuaient d’être obligés, après la vente hypothécaire, d’exercer leurs privilèges àl’encontre de l’excédent.
Elle invoque des décisions de tribunaux néo-brunswickois qui ont déterminé qu’une action visant l’exerciced’un privilège est réputée être abandonnée, par application du par. 52.1(1), si elle n’a pas été mise au rôle ou si aucune requête n’a étéprésentée pour obtenir une ordonnance de reprise de l’action (Allan Window Technologies Ltd. c. 6877869 Canada Ltd. (« Milestone Construction ») et Harbourfront Residences at Three Sisters Inc., mise en cause, 2013 NBBR 417, 420 R.N.-B. (2e) 95; Everett Lord Builders Ltd. c. Executive Chef Services Ltd., 2005 NBQB 309 , 2005 NBBR 309, 289 R.N.-B. (2e) 265).
Cela dit, aucune desdécisions invoquées n’a examiné de situations dans lesquelles la vente hypothécaire d’un bien est survenue avant que le par. 52.1(1) neproduise ses effets, ce qui est le point de mire de la position adoptée par Kent en l’espèce. On ne conteste pas l’affirmation de Kent selonlaquelle les privilèges, après la vente hypothécaire, ont grevé l’intérêt du propriétaire dans l’excédent (voir : Re PanverConstruction Ltd. (1987), (ON SC), 57 O.R. (2d) 758 (QL).
Ernest Co. conteste cependant l’assertion de Kent selonlaquelle les titulaires de privilèges ne continuent pas d’être obligés, après la vente hypothécaire, de mettre leur action au rôle (ou dedemander une reprise de l’action) afin d’éviter qu’elle soit réputée abandonnée par application du par. 52.1(1). [17] Le syndic de Francis Construction n’a pas pris position pour ce qui concerne l’appel, sauf poursouligner qu’au moment de la vente hypothécaire, lorsqu’une fiducie a pris naissance relativement au produit excédentaire, les privilègesétaient valides puisque le délai d’un an prévu au par. 52.1(1) n’était pas échu.
Le syndic indique que cela soulève la question de savoir sile juge saisi de la requête aurait dû déterminer la validité des privilèges au moment de la vente hypothécaire ou à un moment ultérieur.Le syndic a indiqué qu’il était incapable d’invoquer une source pouvant aider à répondre à cette question. [18] L’ARC n’a pas déposé de mémoire et n’a pas pris position durant l’audition de l’appel.
[19] À la suite de l’audition du présent appel, Kent a présenté à la Cour les motifs de la décisionrendus par le juge saisi de la requête le 9 janvier 2018, lesquels portent sur diverses décisions prises relativement à la requête. Cedocument comprend un résumé des motifs de la décision portée en appel, que le juge a rendue oralement le 18 avril 2017. Bien entendu,ces motifs ne sont pas pertinents en ce qui concerne l’appel, sauf dans la mesure où ils se rapportent à la décision du 18 avril 2017 portéeen appel. Seule Kent a choisi de déposer un mémoire postérieur à l’audience par suite des motifs déposés.
Je note également qu’aumoment de l’audition de l’appel, il semblait que le montant de la créance revendiquée par Ernest Co. était si important que, même si lesprivilèges s’avéraient invalides tout l’excédent serait versé à cette dernière et aucune
partie de l’excédent ne parviendrait au syndic ou àl’ARC. Dans la mesure où la décision rendue le 9 janvier 2018 par le juge saisi de la requête a une incidence sur la créance revendiquéepar Ernest Co., il est possible que cette situation ait changé. Toutefois, tout changement de la sorte n’a aucune conséquence sur sadécision antérieure quant à l’abandon des actions en exercice de privilège ou sur le présent appel. [20] L’affirmation de Kent selon laquelle le juge saisi de la requête a commis une erreur lorsqu’il aappliqué l’al. 52.1(1)
a) est fondée sur le fait qu’elle n’était plus, après la vente hypothécaire, titulaire d’un privilège sur le bien, etqu’elle possédait plutôt un privilège sur le produit excédentaire de la vente. Kent soutient que cela a rendu « impossible » pour elle depoursuivre une action visant « l’exercice d’un privilège » comme le prévoit la Loi. Elle soutient que la perte de son privilège sur le bienempêche l’application du par. 52.1(1).
Kent soutient que le fait que l’absence de dispositions dans la Loi traitant précisément d’une ventehypothécaire d’un bien grevé par un privilège exige une interprétation de la Loi qui ne l’oblige pas de respecter le par. 52.1(1); ellesoutient que cette disposition est rendue inapplicable et inopérante dans de telles circonstances. Kent invoque l’analyse interprétativeappliquée par la Cour d’appel de l’Alberta dans l’arrêt Re Driden Industries Ltd. and Sieber et al., 1974 ALTASCAD 14 ,[1974] A.J.
No. 251 (QL). [21] Avant d’aborder l’affirmation de Kent selon laquelle l’arrêt Driden s’applique, il est utiled’effectuer un bref survol des dispositions de la Loi qui expliquent la création d’un privilège et les conditions nécessaires pour lemaintenir. Les dispositions portant sur l’exercice d’un privilège sont aussi importantes. [22] La Loi crée automatiquement un privilège [TRADUCTION] « en faveur de toute personne quifait exécuter des travaux, qui assure la prestation de services ou qui fournit des matériaux » relativement au bien.
Toutefois, la Loi metfin au privilège si son titulaire omet de prendre des mesures afin de le faire valoir. Après la naissance d’un privilège, celui-ci « devientcaduc » si aucune revendication de privilège n’est déposée dans un délai de 60 ou 90 jours (selon le fondement du privilège). Par la suite,le privilège pour lequel une revendication a été déposée « devient caduc » sauf si, dans un délai de 90 jours, une action pour le fairevaloir est intentée et un certificat d’affaire en instance est enregistré.
L’action du titulaire de privilège visant à l’exercer[TRADUCTION] « est réputée être abandonnée un an après son introduction, sauf si l’action a été mise au rôle ou une requête pourobtenir une reprise de l’action a été présentée ». Les articles 25 et 27 et le paragraphe 52.1(1) sont libellés ainsi : Expiry of unregistered lien 25 Every lien in respect of which a claim oflien is not filed ceases to exist on theexpiration of the time herein limited for thefiling thereof.
Expiration d’une revendication non-déposée 25 Tout privilège pour lequel unerevendication n’a pas été déposée devientcaduc à l’expiration du délai de dépôt queprévoit la présente loi.
Expiry of registered lien 27 Every lien in respect of which a claim oflien has been filed ceases to exist on theexpiration of ninety days from the filing of theclaim of lien or after the expiry of any periodof credit mentioned in the claim of lien unless,in the meantime, an action is commenced inwhich the lien may be enforced, and acertificate of pending litigation in respectthereof issued from the court in the formprescribed by regulation is registered in theproper registry office.
Expiration d’une revendication déposée 27 Tout privilège pour lequel unerevendication a été déposée devient caduc àl’expiration de quatre-vingt-dix jours à partirdu dépôt de la revendication ou aprèsl’expiration de la durée du crédit qui y estmentionnée, à moins que, dans l’intervalle,une action ne soit intentée pour faire valoir leprivilège et qu’un certificat d’affaire eninstance à cet égard délivré par la cour selonla formule que prescrit le règlement ne soitenregistré au bureau de l’enregistrementcompétent.
When action deemed discontinued 52.1
(1) An action to enforce a lien shall be deemed to be discontinued one year after the action is commenced unless (
a) the action has been set down for trial, or (
b) an application has been made to a judge of the Court of Queen’s Bench of New Brunswick for an order continuing the action and a copy of the notice of application has been served on the defendant to the action. Action réputée être abandonnée 52.1
(1) Une action visant l’exercice d’un privilège est réputée être abandonnée un an après son introduction, sauf si
a) l’action a été mise au rôle, ou
b) une requête a été présentée à un juge de la Cour du Banc de la Reine du Nouveau- Brunswick pour obtenir une ordonnance de reprise de l’action et si une copie de l’avis de la requête a été signifiée au défendeur à l’action.
En rendant l’ordonnance de reprise d’une action, le juge peut imposer les conditions et donner les instructions qu’il estime justes pour la reprise de l’action (par. 52.1(2)). [23] Un privilège grève « le droit de tenure ou autre droit que le propriétaire possède sur le bien- fonds… si ce droit de tenure ou autre droit existe au moment de la naissance du privilège, ou à n’importe quel moment au cours de son existence » (par. 4(1)).
Il a « priorité sur tous jugements, exécutions, cessions, saisies, saisies-arrêts et ordonnances de mise sous séquestre postérieurs à sa naissance » (al. 9(1)a)). [24] Le privilège peut s’exercer par voie d’action, conformément à la procédure ordinaire de la Cour du Banc de la Reine, sauf lorsqu’elle est modifiée par les dispositions de la Loi (art. 33). L’action intentée par un titulaire de privilège est réputée être intentée au nom de tous les autres titulaires de privilège « qui peuvent encore exercer une action selon le délai imparti » (art. 38).
Lorsque plus d’une action est intentée pour faire valoir des privilèges grevant le même bien-fonds, le juge peut joindre les actions en une seule et en confier la direction à un demandeur (art. 48). La
partie qui met l’action au rôle doit signifier un avis du procès à tous les titulaires de privilège qui ont déposé leurs privilèges ainsi qu’à toutes autres personnes qui ont une charge ou un
titre enregistrés relativement au bien-fonds (art. 40). Tout titulaire d’un privilège doit déposer une déclaration exposant les détails de sa revendication dans les six jours de la réception de l’avis du procès, faute de quoi il lui est interdit de faire valoir son privilège, à moins qu’un juge n’ordonne autrement (art. 42). [25] À la suite du procès, un juge « peut ordonner […] que le droit de tenure ou autre droit grevé du privilège soit vendu » (par. 44(1)).
Lorsque la vente d’un bien a lieu, le produit de cette vente doit être consigné au tribunal et un juge doit prescrire le ou les destinataires des sommes consignées. Tout jugement doit déterminer le montant de tout déficit dû à un titulaire de privilège, s’il y a lieu, à la suite d’une vente (art. 46).
Lorsqu’un demandeur ne réussit pas à établir la validité de son privilège, il peut néanmoins obtenir un jugement personnel. [26] La Loi contient des dispositions traitant de deux situations dans lesquelles un privilège ne continue pas de grever un bien jusqu’à la tenue d’un procès conduit conformément à la procédure ordinaire . La première de ces situations, et la plus courante, se produit lorsque des sommes d’argent sont consignées à un tribunal afin d’annuler un privilège grevant un bien (ou une garantie est fournie).
Dans l’arrêt Driden et les autres affaires mentionnées ci-dessous, le privilège dont il était question avait été annulé par application d’une disposition équivalente. Comme nous le verrons, l’objet de cette disposition occupait une place importante dans les motifs de Driden et de ceux de ces autres décisions. En outre, ces dispositions sont utiles pour bien saisir l’économie de la Loi . Les paragraphes 51(1) et 51(3) de la Loi prévoient ce qui suit :
Payment into court; order vacating lien 51
(1) A judge may at any time receive security for, or payment into court of, the amount claimed in a filed claim of lien together with such costs as the judge may fix; and the judge may thereupon order the filing of the claim of lien be vacated. 51
(3) Money paid into court or any security given in an action, (
a) takes the place of the land against which the claim of lien was filed, and (
b) subject to subsection (4), and notwithstanding that no certificate has been filed as required by
section 27 is subject to the claim of every person who has filed a lien and, before the time limited by
section 27 has expired, has commenced an action, to the same extent as if the money had been realized by a sale of the property in an action to enforce the lien. Montant versé au tribunal; ordonnance annulant le privilège 51
(1) Un juge peut recevoir en tout temps une garantie pour le montant qui fait l’objet d’une revendication de privilège déposée ainsi que les dépens fixés par le juge ou la consignation à la cour de ce montant; il peut alors ordonner l’annulation du dépôt de la revendication de privilège. 51
(3) La somme d’argent consignée à la cour ou toute garantie fournie dans une action
a) remplace le bien-fonds pour lequel la revendication de privilège a été déposée, et
b) sous réserve du paragraphe (4), et bien qu’aucun certificat n’ait été déposé comme le veut l’article 27, est soumise à la revendication de quiconque a déposé un privilège et intenté une action avant l’expiration des délais prescrits par l’article 27, dans la même mesure que si la somme d’argent avait été réalisée par une vente du bien dans une action intentée pour exercer le privilège. [27] La seconde situation se produit lorsqu’un bien a été complètement ou partiellement détruit par un incendie et que des sommes peuvent être obtenues en raison d’une assurance.
L’article 13 de la Loi prévoit ce qui suit : Fire 13 Where a property in respect of which a lien has arisen is wholly or partly destroyed by fire, any money received or receivable by an owner or by a prior mortgagee or chargee by reason of insurance thereon takes the place of the property so destroyed, and is, after satisfying any prior mortgage or charge in the manner and to the extent set out in subsection 9(4), subject to the claims of lienholders to the same extent as if the money were realized by a sale of the property in an action to enforce a lien.
Incendie 13 Lorsqu’un bien qui a donné lieu à la naissance d’un privilège est entièrement ou partiellement détruit par un incendie, toute somme d’argent qu’un propriétaire, un créancier hypothécaire ou un titulaire d’une charge ayant l’antériorité a reçue ou doit recevoir en raison d’une assurance remplace le bien ainsi détruit et, après mainlevée de toute hypothèque ou charge antérieure de la manière et dans la mesure prescrites au paragraphe 9(4), elle est exposée aux revendications des titulaires de privilège dans la même mesure que si la somme d’argent était le produit d’une vente du bien dans une action intentée pour faire valoir un privilège.
[28] Qu’un tribunal reçoive une somme d’argent (ou une garantie) afin d’annuler un privilège sur un bien ou que le produit d’une assurance soit reçu par un propriétaire (ou par un créancier hypothécaire antérieur), la Loi prévoit que ces sommes sont « exposées aux revendications des titulaires de privilège dans la même mesure que si la somme d’argent était le produit d’une vente du bien dans une action intentée pour faire valoir le privilège ». Sur le plan pratique, la Loi permet de substituer une somme d’argent (ou une garantie) au bien.
Malgré l’absence d’une telle disposition pouvant s’appliquer en l’espèce, il n’y a aucune contestation, comme on l’a indiqué précédemment, quant à l’argument de Kent selon lequel l’excédent hypothécaire est devenu grevé par son privilège après la vente. [29] Adoptant les conclusions tirées dans l’arrêt Driden , Kent déclare que le juge saisi de la requête aurait dû avoir conclu que le par. 52.1(1) ne s’appliquait pas, et que l’exigence de mettre l’action au rôle (ou de demander la reprise de l’action) était inutile.
Dans Driden , la Cour a déterminé que le titulaire d’un privilège n’était pas obligé d’intenter une action ou de déposer un certificat d’affaire en instance pour éviter l’application de l’art. 32 de la loi albertaine après qu’un privilège grevant un bien ait été annulé par la consignation d’une somme au tribunal.
L’article 32 de la loi albertaine en vigueur à l’époque (assimilable à l’art. 27 de la Loi ) prévoyait qu’un privilège [TRADUCTION] « dev[enait] caduc » à l’expiration de 180 jours à partir du dépôt d’une revendication, à moins que le titulaire du privilège ait intenté une action pour faire valoir son privilège et enregistré un certificat d’affaire en instance.
Comme le souligne Kent, malgré le libellé clair de l’art. 32, la Cour a libéré le titulaire de privilège tant de l’obligation d’introduire une action que de celle d’enregistrer un certificat d’affaire en instance. [30] Le fait que la Cour dans Driden a abordé séparément ces deux éléments de l’art. 32 est un facteur important dans l’analyse en l’espèce. En premier lieu, la Cour a interprété l’obligation d’enregistrer un certificat d’affaire en instance prévue à l’art. 32 comme s’appliquant uniquement aux privilèges toujours enregistrés sur le bien-fonds.
Selon le raisonnement de la Cour, il irait à l’encontre de l’objet de la loi d’exiger l’enregistrement d’un certificat à l’égard du même bien-fonds qui était grevé du privilège enregistré qui a été annulé par la consignation d’une somme d’argent au tribunal, conformément à une autre disposition de la loi qui permet expressément l’annulation du privilège. En second lieu, la Cour a conclu que l’art. 32 n’avait pas pour effet d’éteindre le privilège, malgré le fait qu’une action n’avait pas été introduite, puisqu’une somme d’argent avait été consignée au tribunal afin d’annuler le privilège grevant le bien-fonds.
Le juge d’appel McDermid, s’exprimant au nom de la Cour, a formulé l’analyse à effectuer en posant la question suivante : [TRADUCTION] « Le titulaire du privilège a-t-il une obligation de faire instruire sa revendication » après la consignation au tribunal d’une somme d’argent remplaçant le bien-fonds?
Selon son raisonnement, en l’absence d’une procédure expressément prévue par la loi visant à déterminer le droit d’un titulaire de privilège aux sommes d’argent consignées au tribunal, la procédure appropriée est de [TRADUCTION] « demander à la Cour de régler les questions en litige et de donner des directives » quant à la procédure à suivre au moment où elle reçoit les sommes. C’est pour ce motif que le juge d’appel McDermid a conclu qu’il était inutile pour le titulaire de privilège d’introduire subséquemment une action, comme le prévoit l’art. 32.
Il s’est expliqué : [TRADUCTION] Cependant, si les articles 36 et 35 ne s’appliquent pas, le titulaire du privilège a-t-il une obligation de faire instruire sa revendication? Rien dans l’art. 35 n’énonce la procédure devant être suivie après la consignation d’une somme d’argent à la Cour. Cet
article prévoit cependant que la somme d’argent est soumise à la revendication de quiconque a déposé un privilège, dans la même mesure que si elle avait été réalisée par une vente du bien-fonds dans une action intentée pour exercer le privilège.
Lorsqu’on invoque l’art. 46, à savoir l’article qui se rapporte à l’affectation des sommes d’argent réalisées par la vente d’un bien-fonds, les articles précédents montrent clairement qu’on ne peut déterminer comment affecter les sommes tant qu’un procès n’a pas eu lieu et qu’une décision n’a pas été rendue sur la validité des privilèges et sur toute autre question en litige. L’article 18 de la Loi prévoit aussi qu’il doit y avoir un procès lorsque des sommes d’argent sont consignées à la Cour par un propriétaire ou un créancier hypothécaire.
Je suis d’avis qu’une procédure analogue devrait être suivie lorsqu’il est question d’un montant versé à la Cour en vertu de l’art. 35, et que la procédure appropriée à suivre par le requérant, au moment où la somme est consignée à la Cour , est de demander à la Cour de trancher la question en litige et de donner des directives quant à qui désigner demandeur et défendeur . Même si le par. 36(6) (précité) ne s’applique pas à l’art. 35, il indique tout de même l’intention générale du législateur puisqu’il prévoit que les procédures doivent être de nature
sommaire et que l’exercice des privilèges doit se faire avec le minimum de frais. Il aurait été préférable que le législateur explique dans le détail la procédure à suivre lorsque des sommes d’argent sont consignées à la Cour en vertu de l’art. 35, mais comme il ne l’a pas fait, la procédure à suivre doit être déterminée en se reportant à des dispositions analogues de la Loi . Par conséquent, la Cour devrait donner des directives quant à la procédure à suivre au moment où est présentée la requête visant le versement d’une somme d’argent à la Cour.
L’article 39, qui prévoit la présentation d’une requête préalable au procès, s’appliquerait après que des directives aient été données quant à la question en litige et quant à qui désigner demandeur et défendeur. Il se pourrait même que toutes ces questions puissent être réglées dans la même requête . [par. 12 à 14] [31] À mon avis, le fondement de la décision dans l’arrêt Driden est beaucoup plus limité que ce que Kent affirme. La décision reposait sur le fait qu’une somme d’argent avait été consignée au tribunal en vertu d’une disposition législative
qui avait comme objet l’annulation d’un privilège sur un bien-fonds.
Selon le raisonnement de la Cour, cet article, d’une part, rendaitl’obligation d’enregistrer subséquemment un certificat d’affaire en instance prévue à l’art. 32 incompatible avec un des objets de la loi et,d’autre part, signifiait que le processus devant être suivi pour rendre une décision sur le droit aux sommes d’argent détenues par la Courdevait être déterminé par celle-ci au moment où les sommes lui étaient consignées, ce qui libérait donc le titulaire du privilège del’obligation d’introduire une action distincte afin d’éviter la perte de son privilège par application de l’art. 32.
Cette décision ne permetpas d’affirmer de façon générale que la loi ne s’applique aucunement dans des circonstances qui n’y sont pas expressément prévues,comme le soutient effectivement Kent. [32] La façon relativement sélective par laquelle on a libéré le titulaire de privilège dans Driden del’obligation de déposer un certificat ou d’introduire une action a été reprise de façon semblable dans des décisions d’autres tribunaux quiont aussi conclu que l’exigence de déposer un certificat d’affaire en instance (sous le régime de dispositions similaires à l’art. 27 de laLoi) est inutile après qu’une somme d’argent a été consignée à la Cour (ou qu’une garantie lui a été fournie) afin d’annuler un privilège.Toutefois, dans l’une de ces décisions, même si la Cour a déterminé, comme dans l’affaire Driden, que l’exigence de déposer uncertificat d’affaire en instance était inutile, elle a exprimé un point de vue différent sur l’obligation d’introduire une action. [33] La Cour d’appel de la Nouvelle-Écosse, dans l’arrêt 1965907 Nova Scotia Ltd. (c.o.b.
S &V Electric) c. 1680265 Nova Scotia Ltd., 1995 NSCA 33 , [1995] N.S.J. No. 121 (QL), a examiné la situation d’un privilège quiavait été annulé par le dépôt d’une garantie. Bien qu’une action pour exercer le privilège avait été intentée dans le délai de 90 joursimparti pour ce faire, aucun certificat d’affaire en instance, qui était aussi exigé par le par. 26(1) de la loi néo-écossaise (assimilable àl’art. 32 de la loi albertaine mentionné dans l’arrêt Driden et à l’art. 27 de la Loi), n’avait été déposé dans le délai de 90 jours.
Commec’était le cas dans Driden, la Cour a conclu que l’exigence de déposer un certificat d’affaire en instance était inutile puisque le privilègene grevait plus le bien-fonds. La Cour a invoqué les motifs donnés par la Cour d’appel de la Colombie-Britannique dans UniversalSupply Co. Ltd. et al. c. S. Radatske Construction Co.