2015 NBCA 35, 2015 NBCA 35
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D'APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 106-14-CA THE CITY OF SAINT JOHN APPELLANT THE CITY OF SAINT JOHN APPELANTE - and - - et - CANADIAN UNION OF PUBLIC EMPLOYEES, LOCAL 18 and M.B. RESPONDENTS SYNDICAT CANADIEN DE LA FONCTION PUBLIQUE,
SECTION LOCALE 18 et M.B. INTIMÉS The City of Saint John v. Canadian Union of Public Employees, Local 18 and M.B., 2015 NBCA 35 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Deschênes The Honourable Justice Green The Honourable Justice Baird The City of Saint John c. Syndicat canadien de la fonction publique,
section locale 18 et M.B., 2015 NBCA 35 CORAM : l’honorable juge Deschênes l’honorable juge Green l’honorable juge Baird Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: August 27, 2014 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : le 27 août 2014 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: 2014 NBQB 201 Décision frappée d’appel : 2014 NBBR 201 Preliminary or incidental proceedings: N/A Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : s.o. Appeal heard: February 17 and 18, 2015 Appel entendu : Les 17 et 18 février 2015 Judgment rendered: June 18, 2015 Jugement rendu : le 18 juin 2015
Reasons for judgment: The Honourable Justice Baird Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Deschênes The Honourable Justice Green Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: Scott Andrew Brittain For the respondents: Glen Serge Gallant Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge Baird Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Deschênes l’honorable juge Green Avocats à l'audience : Pour l’appelante : Scott Andrew Brittain Pour les intimés : Glen Serge Gallant THE COURT The appeal is dismissed with costs of $2,500. LA COUR L’appel est rejeté avec dépens de 2 500 $. The judgment of the Court was delivered by BAIRD, J.A. I.
Introduction [ 1 ] A Board of Arbitration (Board) was constituted to hear a grievance filed by M.B., an employee of the City of Saint John, pursuant to a Collective Agreement negotiated between Local 18 of the Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE) and the City of Saint John (City) . [ 2 ] One week prior to the hearing, the City filed a preliminary motion raising issues of estoppel, res judicata, collateral attack and abuse of process on the basis the subject matter of M.B.’s grievance had been previously determined by both the Human Rights Commission of New Brunswick (Commission) and the Employment Insurance Board of Referees (Referees). [ 3 ] The majority of the Board concluded the issues raised in the grievance were the same as had been previously determined, and therefore, there was no issue for arbitration.
The grievance was dismissed. CUPE and M.B. sought judicial review of the decision on the basis the “merits of the grievance” had not been adjudicated. The reviewing judge quashed, in part, the decision of the Board and remitted the balance of the grievance to a “newly constituted” board for determination on its “merits”. The new board would have the authority to determine the scope of evidence it would hear concerning alleged discriminatory conduct by the City .
[ 4 ] The issues for determination on appeal are: 1. Was the reviewing Court correct when it concluded that issue estoppel , res judicata, abuse of process and collateral attack did not apply to the grievance other than with respect to issues of discriminatory conduct on the part of the City? 2. Did the reviewing Court err in misapplying the reasonableness standard of review on the preliminary question raised by the City? 3. Did the reviewing Court err in remitting the grievance to a newly constituted board for a hearing on the merits? 4.
Did the reviewing Judge err when he found the newly constituted board could determine the scope of evidence concerning discriminatory conduct it could hear? II. Procedural Context and Background [ 5 ] On May 19, 2011, M.B. was suspended with pay as a result of an incident in the workplace, pending an internal investigation. On May 25, 2011, he filed a complaint with the Commission alleging his suspension was the result of discrimination in the workplace based on mental disability.
The complaint was later amended to include allegations of discriminatory conduct by the City in relation to his dismissal. [ 6 ] Following a disciplinary hearing in June 2011, M.B. was terminated on July 27, 2011. His initial application for em ployment insurance benefits was successful; however, following an appeal by the City, the three-person Board of Referees unanimously denied his claim. In denying the claim, the Referees found he “was dismissed for his ‘misconduct’ pursuant to the meaning of the E.I. Act ” and was, therefore, not eligible for benefits.
M.B. did not appeal that decision. [ 7 ] In the interim, there was a thorough investigation by the Commission. The investigator filed a Case Analysis Report (CAR) on October 19, 2011, in which she concluded M.B.’s claim should be dismissed as it was “without merit”. His complaint was subsequently dismissed, and he did not seek judicial review of that decision. [ 8 ] In addition to these proceedings, the Union President signed a grievance form seeking redress and reinstatement, which M.B. executed on August 2, 2011. A Board was constituted to hear M.B.’s grievance in November 2012.
One week prior to the hearing, the City gave notice it sought a ruling on preliminary questions of res judicata , issue estoppel , collateral attack and abuse of process by re-litigation, on the basis the same issues to be considered by the Board had already been determined by the Referees and the Commission. M.B. was represented by counsel at the resulting two-day hearing during which there was no viva voce evidence. There were three post-hearing briefs filed at the request of the Board, subsequent to the decisions in SCFP,
section locale 1840 (Edwin Pelletier) et le Ministère de la Sécurité publique , (unreported), and Penner v. Niagara (Regional Police Services Board) , 2013 SCC 19 , [2013] 2 S.C.R. 125, both of which antedated the hearing. [ 9 ] The Board agreed with the City. The grievance was dismissed on July 9, 2013, on the basis the same issues had already been decided by another tribunal.
In reaching their conclusion, the majority stated: It is clear that [M.B.] in this case has based his claim on an issue that has already been decided by the Human Rights Commission when it said that his claim was “without merit”: the relevant doctrine in this case “balances judicial finality and economy and other considerations of fairness to the parties. It holds that a party may not re-litigate an issue that was finally decided in prior judicial proceedings between the same parties or those who stand in their place”. (At paragraph 29 of Penner ).
Further, “[I]ssue estoppel, with its residual discretion, applies to administrative tribunal decisions. The legal framework governing the exercise of this discretion is set out in Danyluk . In our view this framework has not been overtaken by this Court’s subsequent jurisprudence.
The discretion requires a court should take into account the range and diversity of structures, mandates and procedures of administrative decision makers however, the discretion must not be exercised so as to, in effect, sanction collateral attack, or undermine the integrity of the administrative scheme….legislation establishing administrative tribunals reflects the policy choices of the legislators and administrative decision making must be treated with respect by the courts”. However, as this Court said in Danyluk , at para. 67: “The
objective is to ensure that the operation of issue estoppel promotes the orderly administration of justice but not at the cost of real injustice in the particular case”. (At paragraph 31 of Penner ). The evidence in this case is that [M.B.] filed his claim with the Human Rights Commission, and afterwards, with the Employment Insurance Board while having the benefit of experienced counsel to proceed with both of his claims. He has had his “one bite at the cherry”. [ 10 ] M.B. applied for judicial review of the decision on the following grounds: 1. An unreasonable application and
interpretation of ss. 55 and 76 of the Industrial Relations Act as well as
article 12.07 of the collective agreement; 2. The Arbitration Board unreasonably applied the doctrines of issue estoppel, abuse of process and collateral attack; 3. The Arbitration Board denied natural justice and procedural fairness; 4. The decision was based on findings of fact unsupported by the evidence; 5. Such further grounds as may become known. [ 11 ] The relevant sections of the Industrial Relations Act , R.S.N.B. 1973, c. I-4 and the Collective Agreement are attached as Appendix “A”. III.
The Judicial Review [ 12 ] The reviewing judge considered the documentary evidence and the relevant jurisprudence on the standard of review question (paras. 34-39), and concluded the applicable standard of review in this case was reasonableness. He accepted that in matters of procedural fairness, correctness would be the appropriate standard, but added: “[I]n the present case I do not find the process to have been ‘unfair’ to the Applicants in the manner contemplated by that word.
Just because the grievance was defeated at the preliminary stage does not mean the process was unfair” (para.47). [ 13 ] The respondents submitted the Board owed M.B. a hearing on the merits of the case and not to do so was a violation of both the Industrial Relations Act , ss. 55(1) and 76(4) , and
Article 12.07 of the Collective Agreement. The reviewing judge agreed that, in this case, the “‘merits of the grievance were never adjudicated upon by the Board” (para. 5); however, in tackling this submission, he stated: “I do not read art. 12.07 to require that every grievance must proceed to its merits in the face of a valid preliminary objection” (para. 56). [ 14 ] He found the preliminary objection was, in part, valid, and it was reasonable on this basis for the Board to decline to hear the grievance on its merits regarding the human rights question.
He found this issue was estopped, and hence would not interfere with the Board’s decision in this respect. He observed there may be cases of overlapping jurisdiction between administrative tribunals that will ground the application of estoppel type principles: There is no dispute that the Commission has full authority to decide the issues presented to it in the context of a complaint filed under the Act . Similarly, the parties to this collective agreement have also determined that an arbitration board has the specific authority to determine alleged violations of the Human Rights Act .
It is not that an arbitration board could make a decision that would bind the Human Rights Commission or that the Human Rights Commission could make a decision that would bind an arbitration board. Both entities have remedial powers of their own to remedy violations of human rights principles whether embodied in the Act or the collective agreement. But where, as there is here, there is jurisdiction in more than one tribunal or agency to decide essentially the same question based on the same facts, it flies in the face of common sense to allow a party to seek redress in both. [para. 58] [ 15 ]
Article 4.01 of the Collective Agreement between the City and CUPE, Local 18, prohibits discrimination or “coercion” with respect to an employee “by any ground prohibited by the Human Rights Act ”. The appellant submits this issue was determined by the Commission, and M.B. chose not to seek judicial review of that decision. I agree with the reviewing judge that “[t]he
portion of the grievance which calls into question issues of discrimination or the Human Rights Act cannot proceed further” (para. 64). I note parenthetically that neither CUPE nor M.B. cross-appealed on this issue, so I will not address it. [ 16 ] The reviewing judge then concluded the following: Unlike the nexus between the Commission and the arbitration Board, there is no discernable overlapping of jurisdiction between the employment insurance regime and the grievance process.
In other words, it is difficult to imagine that a grievance arbitration board would have authority to consider and determine a statutory entitlement to employment insurance benefits. Nor is it reasonable to think that a decision of the Board of Referees (that M.B.’s conduct resulted in his termination) is determinative of the expansive obligations between the parties as set out in art. 22.05. The Board of Referees determined an entitlement to statutory benefits.
That is a far cry from saying that it had determined the rights and obligations as between the parties raised in art. 22.05 (and other articles) of the collective agreement. [para. 62] In other words, these two entities have distinct mandates with different outcomes. [ 17 ] He proceeded to quash the Board’s decision in part, concluding: […] The portion of the grievance which calls into question issues of discrimination or the Human Rights Act cannot proceed further. All other issues raised in the grievance can continue before a newly constituted Board of Arbitration.
It is not my intention in this decision to limit the jurisdiction of the new Board to determine the scope of the evidence it will allow for its consideration. For example, the Applicants may attempt to introduce contextual evidence that they think illustrates discriminatory behaviour by the City. It will be up to the new Board to determine whether to receive such evidence or not. I say only that the determination by the Board relating to art. 4.01, or more broadly on issues of discrimination or claims under the Human Rights Act , is final. [paras. 64-65] IV. Analysis A.
The Evolution of the Standard of Review [ 18 ] Dunsmuir v. New Brunswick, 2008 SCC 9 , [2008] 1 S.C.R. 190 , changed the Canadian landscape in Administrative Law concerning standards of review and adjudication. The decision has been followed and applied by this Court in numerous decisions, most notably: Small v. New Brunswick Liquor Corporation (Small) , 2012 NBCA 53 , 390 N.B.R. (2d) 203 ; Smith v. Province of New Brunswick (Department of Public Safety ) and New Brunswick Human Rights Commission , 2012 NBCA 41 , 397 N.B.R. (2d) 1 ; Port of Dalhousie Inc . v.
Maltais , 2011 NBCA 84 , 377 N.B.R. (2d) 312 ; Mourant v. Town of Sackville , 2014 NBCA 56 , 423 N.B.R (2d) 330 ; Bowater Maritimes Inc. v. Communications , Energy and Paperworkers Union, locals 117, 146, 164 and 263 and International Longshoremen’s Association, Local 1433 , 2011 NBCA 22 , 368 N.B.R. (2d) 348 ; J.D. Irving, Ltd. v. North Shore Forest Products Marketing Board et al. , 2014 NBCA 42 , 422 N.B.R. (2d) 233 . [ 19 ] The parties disagree as to whether the standard of review should be reasonableness or correctness.
Our Court, per Robertson J.A., provided guidance in Small , stating: This leaves for consideration the standard of review to be applied to pure questions of law, which fall under one of two umbrellas: (1) the identification of a common law or equitable principle or rule, or analytical framework; and (2) the
interpretation of a contractual or statutory provision. It is trite to acknowledge that no deference is owed to a trial, application or motion judge's ruling involving a pure question of law. An appellate court is free to arrive at its own opinion (see Housen v. Nikolaisen , at para. 8). While correctness has always been the accepted review standard for questions of law decided within the context of civil proceedings, the same cannot be said when it comes to determinations by an administrative tribunal performing adjudicative functions. The general understanding is that reviewing courts owe deference to a tribunal's rulings involving the
interpretation of its home statute, a closely-related statute and any contractual arrangements that fall within the scope of the tribunal's mandate, even though the issue involves a pure question of law. But the path which the Supreme Court of Canada took to arrive at this point was by no means direct. A succinct historical overview may be helpful.
[…] […] This understanding of the present law is reinforced by the fact that since the release of Dunsmuir , the Supreme Court has yet to engage the “pragmatic and functional approach” for isolating the proper standard of review. Instead, the analysis has focused on whether the question of law decided by the administrative tribunal was the kind of question for which deference should be accorded. Hence, today, the task of the reviewing court is to identify the types of legal questions for which correctness is the proper standard.
The “going- in presumption” is that any interpretative decision of the tribunal’s home and related statutes will attract the deferential standard as will questions of law that are not of “central importance” to the legal system. There are three recent decisions of the Supreme Court which confirm this abbreviated understanding of the law. [paras. 17, 22] [ 20 ] One of the three decisions referenced by Robertson J.A. in Small was Nor-Man Regional Health Authority Inc. v. Manitoba Association of Health Care Professionals , 2011 SCC 59 , [2011] 3 S.C.R. 616 . In that case, the arbitrator accepted the union's
interpretation of a vacation benefit clause in a collective agreement; however, he applied the doctrine of estoppel to deny the relief the union sought. The Court held that as the equitable remedy did not involve a question of central importance to the legal system as a whole, and was not a question beyond the expertise of the arbitrator, deference was owed to the arbitrator's estoppel ruling. Equally important is the finding that labour arbitrators are not always bound to apply equitable and common law principles, including estoppel, in the same manner as courts of law.
As the reviewing courts could not agree on the proper standard of review (the Court of Queen’s Bench applied a reasonableness standard, but the Court of Appeal held the correctness standard to be appropriate), the Supreme Court looked at the types of questions for which correctness is generally applied and those where reasonableness normally prevails, and upheld the arbitrator’s decision: An administrative tribunal's decision will be reviewable for correctness if it raises a constitutional issue, a question of "general law 'that is both of central importance to the legal system as a whole and outside the adjudicator's specialized area of expertise'", or a "true question of jurisdiction or vires ".
It will be reviewable for correctness as well if it involves the drawing of jurisdictional lines between two or more competing specialized tribunals ( Dunsmuir , at paras. 58-61 ; Smith , at para. 26 ; Toronto (City) v. C.U.P.E ., Local 79, 2003 SCC 63 , [2003] 3 S.C.R. 77 ( "Toronto (City)" ), at para. 62, per LeBel J.). The standard of reasonableness, on the other hand, normally prevails where the tribunal's decision raises issues of fact, discretion or policy; involves inextricably intertwined legal and factual issues; or relates to the
interpretation of the tribunal's enabling (or "home") statute or "statutes closely connected to its function, with which it will have particular familiarity" ( Dunsmuir , at paras. 51 and 53-54 ; Smith , at para. 26 ). [paras. 35-36]. See Bowater Maritimes Inc. , at para. 18 , as well. [ 21 ] In the case at bar, I find nothing wrong with the reviewing judge’s analysis on the standard of review issue; in fact, he rejected the correctness standard utilizing the criteria in Dunsmuir and Nor-Man , which is, in my view, the proper approach.
In finding the applicable standard of review to be reasonableness, he stated: In my view there is nothing present in the essential elements of this case that calls out for review on a standard of correctness. Nor-Man, supra is sufficient authority for me to conclude that an arbitration board in circumstances such as these, and applying the principles of estoppel and its related concepts, is in no way issuing a decision which would be of central importance to the legal system. Moreover, the issues presented in this case are certainly not outside the tribunal’s field of relative expertise.
A cursory review of the various reporting series of labour arbitration cases will reveal that for decades arbitration boards have been considering and applying the principles of res judicata , estoppel and related concepts. […] Being satisfied that the applicable standard of review had been recognized in prior cases as the reasonableness standard there is no need to move to the second step of the analysis required by Dunsmuir , supra . [paras. 45-46, 48]
[22] As the reviewing judge was correct in using a reasonableness standard, I turn to a brief consideration of itsapplication in this case. In Newfoundland and Labrador Nurses’ Union v. Newfoundland and Labrador (Treasury Board), 2011 SCC 62,[2011] 3 S.C.R. 708, the Court, quoting from Dunsmuir, stated: […] A court conducting a review for reasonableness inquires into the qualities that make a decision reasonable, referring both to theprocess of articulating the reasons and to outcomes.
In judicial review, reasonableness is concerned mostly with the existence ofjustification, transparency and intelligibility within the decision-making process. But it is also concerned with whether the decision fallswithin a range of possible, acceptable outcomes which are defensible in respect of the facts and law. [para. 11] [23] In Bowater Maritimes Inc., our Court, per Robertson J.A., discussed deference and reasonableness adopting thesame analysis (para. 24). This was recently reiterated by the Supreme Court in Sattva Capital Corp. v. Creston Moly Corp., 2014 SCC53, [2014] 2 S.C.R. 633, at para. 119.
Therefore, as Robertson J.A. stated in Small, the “reasons must be read together with the outcomefor the purpose of determining whether the result falls within the range of possible outcomes” (para. 11). See also: Her Majesty theQueen as represented by the Board of Management on behalf of the Department of Natural Resources v. Pinder and New BrunswickUnion of Public and Private Employees, 2012 NBCA 60, 391 N.B.R. (2d) 110, per Robertson J.A., at para. 7. B.
The test for issue estoppel [24] Issue estoppel, res judicata, collateral attack and abuse of process are doctrines that havedeveloped to promote finality in judicial decision making.
The basis for these doctrines was recently explained in Penner: Relitigation of an issue wastes resources, makes it risky for parties to rely on the results of their prior litigation, unfairly exposes partiesto additional costs, raises the spectre of inconsistent adjudicative determinations and, where the initial decision maker is in theadministrative law field, may undermine the legislature’s intent in setting up the administrative scheme. For these reasons, the law hasadopted a number of doctrines to limit relitigation. [para. 28] [25] Mr. Penner was arrested for disruptive behavior in a courtroom.
He later filed a complaint, pursuant to thePolice Services Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. P.15, alleging unlawful arrest and excessive use of force during the arrest. He also commenced civilproceedings for the same incident, during which the issue of estoppel was raised.
Cromwell J. found that although the threepreconditions for estoppel had been met, there were significant differences between the police complaint process and the civil action;particularly, there were differences in the remedies available, and most notably, the fact he could pursue a damage claim in the civilaction. [26] The Supreme Court recognized there could be procedural differences between the two processes, and to deny alitigant the opportunity to fully present his case could result in unfairness.
The Court discussed the “purpose” of the legislative scheme,“process”, and the “scope and effect” of administrative proceedings. The majority favored the flexible, more holistic approach and foundit would be unfair to Mr. Penner if he were estopped from having his civil case heard. It concluded the “legislation does not intend toforeclose parallel proceedings” (para. 51). [27] Angle v. M.N.R., (SCC), [1975] 2 S.C.R. 248, [1974] S.C.J.
No. 95 (QL) established threepreconditions for the application of issue estoppel: “(1) that the same question has been decided; (2) that the judicial decision which issaid to create the estoppel was final; and, (3) that the parties to the judicial decision or their privies were the same persons as the partiesto the proceedings in which the estoppel is raised or their privies” (p. 254). Although Angle refers to judicial decisions, the jurisprudencehas since established that issue estoppel equally applies to administrative decisions.
Even if the preconditions are met, a decision makerhas a residual discretion not to apply issue estoppel if it would render an injustice between the parties (Penner, at para. 29). Cromwell J.explains, quoting the Supreme Court from Danyluk v. Ainsworth Technologies Inc., 2001 SCC 44, [2001] 2 S.C.R. 460: “[t]he principleunderpinning this discretion is that “[a] judicial doctrine developed to serve the ends of justice should not be applied mechanically towork an injustice”: Danyluk, at para. 1; see also Toronto (City) v.
C.U.P.E., Local 79, 2003 SCC 63, [2003] 3 S.C.R. 77, at paras. 52-53” (para. 30). [28] In his submission, the respondent referenced Minott v. O’Shanter Development Co., (ONCA), [1999] O.J. No. 5 (C.A.) (QL): “[p]rior to the release of Danyluk, the Ontario Court of Appeal in Minott at paragraphs 53-58,enumerated five concerns arising from the exercise of discretion to apply issue estoppel to findings of a Board of Referees under theEmployment Insurance scheme”. Among these, the Court recognized the potential for “real injustice to the claimants”.
This concern wasalso identified by Binnie J. in Danyluk when he discussed the factors that may be relevant to the exercise of discretion in the second stepof the analysis: “[t]he objective is to ensure that the operation of issue estoppel promotes the orderly administration of justice but not at
the cost of real injustice in the particular case” (para. 67). [29] Our Court, per Drapeau, C.J.N.B. in CUPE, Local 1188 and LeBlanc v. Town of Sackville, 2007 NBCA 18, 313N.B.R (2d) 147 confirmed that issue estoppel is applicable in a labour law context, and summarized its application: The principle – some label it a doctrine – of res judicata has two distinct forms: cause of action estoppel and issue estoppel.
Generallyspeaking, cause of action estoppel – or action estoppel as it is sometimes called – is concerned with preventing the re-litigation of a suitthat has been adjudicated, while issue estoppel is directed at precluding the rehashing of an issue that has been settled in the course of aprevious adjudication. Res judicata has been described as a rule of evidence (see Canadian Union of Public Employees, Local 1394 v.Extendicare Health Services Inc. et al. (1993), (ON CA), 14 O.R. (3d) 65 (C.A.), [1993] O.J.
No. 1545 (QL), perDoherty J.A.) and as a bar or defence to an action that must be specially pleaded (see Cooper and Smith v. Molsons Bank (1896), 1896CanLII 22 (SCC), 26 S.C.R. 611 at 620, Cox v. Cox and Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (1987), (NB CA), 82N.B.R. (2d) 379 (C.A.) at 382, [1987] N.B.J. No. 526 (QL) and Donald J. Lange, The Doctrine of Res Judicata in Canada, 2nd ed.,(Markham, Ont.: LexisNexis Butterworths, 2004) at p. 11). In either case, neither cause of action estoppel nor issue estoppel operates tooust a judicial tribunal's jurisdiction over an action (see McNichol v.
Co-Operators General Insurance Co. (2006), 298 N.B.R. (2d) 44(C.A.), [2006] N.B.J. No. 194 (QL), 2006 NBCA 54, para. 23). Moreover, courts have reserved unto themselves a discretionary power toreject the application of res judicata in, admittedly, exceptional circumstances (see McNichol, at para. 23, and the cases cited therein,including Danyluk v. Ainsworth Technologies Inc.). […] Res judicata, in either of those forms, is hardly a technicality.
Indeed, it is commonly described as a “fundamental doctrine of the justicesystem” (see The Doctrine of Res Judicata in Canada, at p.8), one that is founded on considerations of justice and good sense (see NewBrunswick Rail. Co. v. British and French Trust Corporation, Ltd., [1939] A.C. 1, per Lord Maugham L.C. at pp. 19-20). It has been saidthat the equity of the doctrine is “obvious” (see George Spencer Bower and Sir Alexander Turner, The Doctrine of Res Judicata, 2nd ed.(London: Butterworths, 1969, p. 11) and that it is “rooted in equitable principles” (see Comeau et al. v.
Breau et al. (1994), (NB CA), 145 N.B.R. (2d) 329 (C.A.), [1994] N.B.J. No. 74 (QL), per Rice J.A., at para. 13, Beairsto et al. v. Michaud, [2002]N.B.R. (2d) (Supp.) No. 52 (Q.B.), [2002] N.B.J. No. 211 (QL), 2002 NBQB 210 (per Guerette J.), at para. 73, and Phillips Estate v.Noble, [1997] N.B.J. No. 553 (QL) (per Larlee J., as she then was, at para. 10). Not surprisingly, there are also arbitral pronouncementsthat attach the label of “equitable principle” to issue estoppel (see Sheet Metal Workers’ International Assn. v. Giffin Sheet Metal, [1999]O.L.A.A.
No. 926 (QL)). [paras. 33, 36] See also Ganong Bros., Limited v. Executive Director of Assessment, 2004 NBCA 46, 271 N.B.R (2d) 43. [30] Penner applied the legal framework governing the application of issue estoppel that was established inDanyluk. Danyluk set out a two-step analysis, drawing from Angle: The rules governing issue estoppel should not be mechanically applied.
The underlying purpose is to balance the public interest in thefinality of litigation with the public interest in ensuring that justice is done on the facts of a particular case. (There are correspondingprivate interests.) The first step is to determine whether the moving party (in this case the respondent) has established the preconditionsto the operation of issue estoppel set out by Dickson J. in Angle, supra. If successful, the court must still determine whether, as a matterof discretion, issue estoppel ought to be applied: British Columbia (Minister of Forests) v.
Bugbusters Pest Management Inc. (1998), (BC CA), 50 B.C.L.R. (3d) 1 (C.A.), at para. 32; Schweneke v. Ontario (2000), (ON CA), 47 O.R.(3d) 97 (C.A.), at paras. 38-39; Braithwaite v. Nova Scotia Public Service Long Term Disability Plan Trust Fund (1999), 1999 NSCA 77, 176 N.S.R. (2d) 173 (C.A.), at para. 56. [para. 33] [31] The Board, in the case at bar, did not conduct an analysis to determine whether the three pre-conditions hadbeen met; even if it had, and determined the three pre-conditions were met, it had a residual discretion not to apply the doctrine (seePenner, at paras. 29-30). C.
The Impact of Penner [32] Penner added to the fairness discussion with respect to the discretion step of the analysis:
This Court in Danyluk, at paras. 68-80, recognized several factors identified by Laskin J.A. in Minott v. O’Shanter Development Co.(1999), (ON CA), 42 O.R. (3d) 321 (C.A.), that are relevant to the discretionary analysis in the context of a prioradministrative tribunal proceeding. The list of factors in Danyluk merely indicates some circumstances that may be relevant in a particular case to determine whether, on thewhole, it is fair to apply issue estoppel. The list is not exhaustive. It is neither a checklist nor an invitation to engage in a mechanicalanalysis.
Broadly speaking, the factors identified in the jurisprudence illustrate that unfairness may arise in two main ways which overlap and arenot mutually exclusive. First, the unfairness of applying issue estoppel may arise from the unfairness of the prior proceedings.
Second,even where the prior proceedings were conducted fairly and properly having regard to their purposes, it may nonetheless be unfair to usethe results of that process to preclude the subsequent claim. [paras. 37-39] [Emphasis added] In my opinion, the second type of unfairness identified in the above excerpt was the issue in this appeal. [33] The appellant submitted Penner is distinguishable on its facts and the minority reasoning should be applied.The minority emphasized “the interests of fairness in preserving the finality of litigation” (para. 110) (following British Columbia(Workers’ Compensation Board) v.
Figliola, 2011 SCC 52, [2011] 3 S.C.R 422). [34] I agree that finality is to be encouraged, and duplication discouraged. I agree there are situations when judicialintervention is justified for the very reasons the appellant suggests, namely to avoid forum shopping, re-litigation, and abuse of process;however, not in this case. Although the nature of the legal proceedings in Penner were distinct from the case at bar, the principles areapplicable here. These are basic principles of audi alteram partem, which mandate due process and fairness.
Unfairness can occur whenthe results of tribunal hearings are used as justification to preclude hearings in other forums constituted pursuant to distinct statutoryregimes. I agree that judicial interference has its limitations; however, it will be justified, and warranted, when there is a finding thatessential decision making was based on limited or circumscribed evidence, and where a mechanical use of a legal concept has resulted inan “injustice” (Penner, at para. 30).
In my opinion, this is an important distinction. [35] This philosophy spilled over into the majority decision in Penner when Cromwell J. found that issue estoppelshould not be applied as it would “work an injustice” against the appellant (para. 8). [36] In my opinion, on the same basis, a denial of benefits under the Employment Insurance Act, S.C. 1996, c. 23does not preclude a hearing before an arbitration board constituted to hear a grievance.
This was exactly the concern identified by theCourt in Penner when Cromwell J. cautioned there was a risk of undermining the administrative process if undue weight was attached tothe Police Services Act proceedings. On the other hand, the minority, applying Figliola, favoured giving administrative tribunals a“wider discretion” and found finality should not be over-ridden on the basis of differing processes used by administrative tribunals. Thisapproach acknowledges there may be cases of some overlapping jurisdiction. D.
Overlapping Arbitral Jurisdiction [37] In Quebec (Commission des droits de la personne et des droits de la jeunesse) v. Quebec (Attorney General),2004 SCC 39, [2004] 2 S.C.R. 185 (Morin), the Supreme Court discussed arbitral jurisdiction with respect to human rights issues. Thisquestion had continued to percolate in the jurisprudence following the decision in Weber v. Ontario Hydro, (SCC),[1995] 2 S.C.R. 929, [1995] S.C.J. No. 59 (QL). [38] In Morin, McLachlin C.J.C. concluded Weber does not stand for the proposition that labour arbitrators alwayshave exclusive jurisdiction in employer-union disputes.
Depending on the legislation and the nature of the dispute, other tribunals maypossess overlapping jurisdiction, concurrent jurisdiction, or themselves be endowed with exclusive jurisdiction. [39] In addressing the jurisdictional question, the Court developed a two-part analysis. The majority found thecollective agreement expressly gave the arbitrator jurisdiction to hear human rights complaints when they arose from the collective
agreement; however, the Court expressly stated that this jurisdiction was not necessarily exclusive. The Court then determined that in thecontext of the complaint, the Human Rights Tribunal would have concurrent jurisdiction to hear the complaint and was the moreappropriate forum.
The nuanced distinction in Morin was the finding that the grievance did not arise from the collective agreement, butwas animated by the negotiation process itself, which was discriminatory. [40] The minority in Morin disagreed with this characterization, and preferred the majority opinion in Weber, wherea contextual approach was followed, with an expressed preference for exclusive arbitral jurisdiction. The net effect of Morin is therecognized potential for overlapping jurisdiction. This is precisely what happened in the case at bar.
I conclude that this approach wasreinforced in Penner, which built on the analysis from Danyluk to ensure that issue estoppel will not apply to preclude multipleproceedings if to do so would work an “injustice”. E. The Issue for Determination [41] In my opinion, the seminal issue for determination in this appeal is whether the reviewing judge made amaterial error when he found that the Board’s application of issue estoppel was unreasonable in part. He applied the reasonablenessstandard.
He found the Board reasonably concluded the grievance was estopped on issues of discrimination under the Human Rights Act.As mentioned, this portion of the decision was not challenged on appeal. However, the reviewing judge also found the Board’s decisionwas unreasonable when it agreed the Referees’ finding of termination for misconduct precluded a reasoned consideration of the wholegrievance.
The Board applied issue estoppel and res judicata to the Referees’ decision, which was narrowly circumscribed, and failed toconsider the scope and purpose of the two different proceedings, thereby unreasonably denying M.B. the opportunity to be fully heard onthe issue of his unjust dismissal.
For the reasons just mentioned, it is my view the decision of the Board “does not fall within a range ofpossible, acceptable outcomes which are defensible in respect of the facts and the law” and the reviewing judge, therefore, did not err. [42] The first precondition for the application of issue estoppel is that the same issue must already have beendecided. In this case, the Board was not faced with the same issue as the Referees. The decision of the Referees in this case wascircumscribed, and unequivocally limited to misconduct.
The grievance, on the other hand, referenced articles 4.01 and 22.05 of theCollective Agreement, which require a board to consider matters touching on “mutual respect”, a “progressive labour management”,“maintaining the dignity of employees”, “providing support and guidance to employees”, and providing safeguards against “unjustdiscipline”. These are distinct criteria requiring broader considerations than were engaged by the Referees.
Although misconduct may beone consideration, an arbitration board has the ability to adopt a more contextual and holistic approach to decision making under aCollective Agreement than a Board of Referees constituted under the Employment Insurance Act, which has limited decision makingauthority by virtue of the legislation. In my opinion, the reviewing judge was live to this distinction when he decided to remit the matterto a new board for a hearing of the merits of the grievance. [43] Under the Collective Agreement, art. 22.05(d), M.B. could only be dismissed for just cause.
The substance ofthe grievance before the Board was that M.B. was the “victim of discrimination by the City with respect to its duty to accommodate hisdisability and regarding the circumstances surrounding the termination of his employment”. On the other hand, under s. 30 of theEmployment Insurance Act, “[a] claimant is disqualified from receiving any benefits if the claimant lost any employment because of theirmisconduct”. The Referees’ finding was that “the employee, [M.B.], lost his employment with the City of Saint John due to hismisconduct”. These are separate issues.
There may be potential for overlap, but the reviewing judge, aware of this fact, found that thiswould not preclude the Board from deciding the grievance on its merits in this case. [44] In Karelia v. Canada (Human Resources and Skills Development), 2012 FCA 140, [2012] F.C.J. No. 617(QL), Pelletier J.A. drew a distinction between misconduct and just cause for dismissal: It is not the function of the employment insurance system to make determinations about whether an employee has been dismissed for justcause. The only issue in this case is whether Mr.
Karelia lost his employment by reason of his own wilful misconduct so as to disqualifyhim from the receipt of benefits. The jurisprudence is clear that misconduct and just cause for dismissal are distinct concepts: Canada(Attorney General) v. McNamara, 2007 FCA 107 , [2007] F.C.J. No. 364 at para. 22, Fakhari v. Canada (Attorney General),[1996] F.C.J. No. 653, 197 N.R. 300 at para. 3, Canada (Attorney General) v. Jewell, (ON CA), [1994] F.C.J. No.1584, 175 N.R. 350 at paras. 6-7. [para. 20]
A finding of termination for misconduct does not necessarily mean there was just cause for termination: the narrow issue cannot estop consideration of the broader one. [ 45 ] However, even assuming the preconditions for the application of issue estoppel had been met, it is my view, on the facts of this case, the reviewing judge was correct when he found the Board should not have applied the doctrine of issue estoppel to preclude a hearing of M.B.’s grievance. [ 46 ] Finally, the social policy objective of the Employment Insurance Act is worth noting.
A person who qualifies is entitled to apply for and to receive benefits on termination of employment. This statutory scheme guarantees a sum certain for a defined period of time as income replacement under defined circumstances. A Board of Referees has the responsibility and duty to interpret its home statute, and to adjudicate claims based on prescribed criteria. A claimant pursuing an employment insurance claim represents their own interest. A board constituted pursuant to a Collective Agreement has a different set of responsibilities, with its own separate statutory authority.
A union has the right to participate on behalf of a grievor under the Collective Agreement. If unionized employees were barred from pursuing grievance relief before a board constituted under the Industrial Relations Act on the basis their employment insurance claims had been previously adjudicated, there is a distinct risk either or both the grievance process and the employment insurance program would be undermined. [ 47 ] During the appeal hearing, counsel for the appellant cautioned that remedies should not be conflated with jurisdiction. I agree.
However, in this case, the reviewing judge was correct when he concluded the seminal question of unjust dismissal within the context of the Collective Agreement was not decided by the Referees. Their decision was based on the evidence they had which was documentary. They decided M.B. did not qualify for benefits on the basis he had been terminated for misconduct.
In my opinion, the question of entitlement to employment insurance benefits should not be conflated with the issue of wrongful dismissal pursuant to the Collective Agreement, where there is a different standard of adjudication, the ability to receive viva voce evidence and different possible outcomes. [ 48 ] As concluded by the reviewing judge, the issues raised in the grievance were not determined in the fullness of a hearing with viva voce evidence, where the Board could assess credibility, and where cross-examination could occur, following which, the Board would have had the authority to determine the grievance on its merits.
I agree with the reviewing judge’s referral of that question to a newly constituted board, as he was correct in determining that issue estoppel , collateral attack, res judicata, and abuse of process do not apply to estop consideration on the question of termination for cause. Further, the reviewing judge was aware of the potential for duplicitous evidence on the issue of discriminatory conduct (which was estopped), and granted the newly constituted board the authority to limit what evidence it would hear on that issue (i.e., to control its own process, or be the master of its own proceeding).
I concur with this result as well. V. Disposition [ 49 ] I would dismiss the appeal with one set of costs to the respondents of $2,500. __________________________ BARBARA L. BAIRD, J.A. WE CONCUR: ________________________________ ALEXANDRE DESCHÊNES, J.A.
________________________________ BRADLEY V. GREEN, J.A. Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par La juge Baird I. Introduction [1] Un conseil d’arbitrage (le conseil) a été constitué en vue de l’audition d’un grief déposé par M.B., employé de la Ville de Saint John, conformément à une convention collective négociée entre la
section locale 18 du Syndicat canadien de la fonction publique (le SCFP) et la Ville de Saint John (la Ville) . [2] Une semaine avant l’audience, la Ville a déposé une motion préliminaire dans laquelle elle soulevait des questions ressortissant aux principes de préclusion, de res judicata (ou chose jugée), de contestation indirecte et d’abus de procédure pour le motif que les questions qui faisaient l’objet du grief de M.B. avaient déjà été tranchées à la fois par la Commission des droits de la personne du Nouveau-Brunswick (la Commission) et par le conseil arbitral de l’assurance-emploi. [3] Le conseil a conclu à la majorité que les questions soulevées dans le cadre du grief étaient les mêmes que celles qui avaient déjà été tranchées et qu’il n’y avait donc aucune question à soumettre à l’arbitrage.
Le grief a été rejeté. Le SCFP et M.B. ont sollicité le contrôle judiciaire de la décision pour le motif que le conseil ne s’était pas prononcé sur le [TRADUCTION] « bien-fondé du grief ». Le juge saisi de la requête en révision a infirmé, en partie, la décision du conseil et a renvoyé le reste du grief à un conseil d’arbitrage [TRADUCTION] « nouvellement constitué » afin qu’il se prononce sur son [TRADUCTION] « bien-fondé ».
Le nouveau conseil devait avoir compétence pour établir l’étendue de la preuve qu’il entendrait concernant la prétendue conduite discriminatoire de la Ville . [4] Les questions à trancher en appel sont les suivantes : 1. Est-ce à bon droit que le tribunal qui a effectué la révision a conclu que la préclusion pour même question en litige, la chose jugée, la contestation indirecte et l’abus de procédure ne s’appliquaient pas au grief sauf en ce qui concernait la question de la conduite discriminatoire de la part de la Ville? 2.
Le tribunal qui a effectué la révision a-t-il commis une erreur en appliquant d’une façon erronée la norme de contrôle de la raisonnabilité pour les fins de la question préjudicielle soulevée par la Ville? 3. Le tribunal qui a effectué la révision a-t-il commis une erreur en renvoyant le grief à un conseil nouvellement constitué en vue d’une audience sur le bien-fondé du grief? 4. Le juge qui a effectué la révision a-t-il commis une erreur lorsqu’il a conclu que le conseil nouvellement constitué pouvait déterminer l’étendue de la preuve relative à la conduite discriminatoire qu’il pouvait entendre?
II. Le contexte procédural et factuel [5] Le 19 mai 2011, M.B. a été suspendu avec traitement par suite d’un incident survenu sur le lieu de travail, en attendant la tenue d’une enquête interne. Le 25 mai 2011, il a déposé auprès de la Commission une plainte dans laquelle il alléguait que sa suspension était le résultat de mesures discriminatoires en milieu de travail prises à son endroit en raison de sa déficience mentale.
La plainte a plus tard été modifiée afin d’y ajouter des allégations de conduite discriminatoire de la part de la Ville relativement à son congédiement. [6] Le 27 juillet 2011, à la suite d’une audience disciplinaire tenue en juin de la même année, M.B. a été congédié. Sa demande initiale en vue d’obtenir des prestations d’assurance-emploi a été accueillie; toutefois, à la suite d’un appel interjeté par la Ville, le conseil arbitral de l’assurance-emploi, composé de trois personnes, a unanimement rejeté sa demande.
En rejetant la demande, le conseil arbitral de l’assurance-emploi a conclu que [TRADUCTION] « [...] l’employé [avait] été congédié pour ‘inconduite’ au sens de la
Loi sur l’assurance-emploi » et qu’il n’avait donc pas droit à des prestations. M.B. n’a pas interjeté appel de cette décision. [7] Dans l’intervalle, la Commission a mené une enquête approfondie. L’enquêtrice a déposé, le 19 octobre 2011, un rapport d’analyse de cas dans lequel elle concluait que la demande de M.B. devait être rejetée pour motif [TRADUCTION] d’« absence de fondement ».
La plainte de M.B. a subséquemment été rejetée et il n’a pas sollicité la révision judiciaire de cette décision. [8] Outre ces procédures, le président du Syndicat a signé une formule de grief dans laquelle il sollicitait des mesures réparatoires ainsi que la réintégration, formule que M.B. a lui aussi signée le 2 août 2011. Un conseil a été constitué en vue de l’audition du grief de M.B. en novembre 2012.
Une semaine avant l’audience, la Ville a avisé le conseil qu’elle sollicitait une décision sur des questions préjudicielles ressortissant aux principes de la chose jugée et de préclusion pour même question en litige ainsi qu’aux concepts de contestation indirecte et d’abus de procédure du fait d’une remise en litige, pour le motif que les questions que le conseil devait entendre avaient déjà été tranchées par le conseil arbitral de l’assurance-emploi et la Commission. M.B. était représenté par un avocat à l’audience de deux jours qui a suivi et au cours de laquelle aucun témoignage de vive voix n’a été présenté.
Trois mémoires ont été déposés après l’audience, à la demande du conseil, par suite des décisions rendues dans les affaires SCFP,
section locale 1840 (Edwin Pelletier) et le Ministère de la Sécurité publique (inédite), et Penner c. Niagara (Commission régionale de services policiers) , 2013 CSC 19 , [2013] 2 R.C.S. 125, toutes deux antérieures à l’audience. [9] Le conseil a souscrit aux prétentions de la Ville. Le grief a été rejeté le 9 juillet 2013 pour le motif que les mêmes questions avaient déjà été tranchées par un autre tribunal.
En formulant ses conclusions, la majorité a dit ce qui suit : [TRADUCTION] Il est évident que [M.B.] en l’espèce a fondé sa demande sur une question déjà tranchée par la Commission des droits de la personne, qui a conclu que sa demande était [TRADUCTION] « sans fondement » : la doctrine applicable en l’espèce « établit un équilibre entre le caractère définitif des décisions et l’économie, d’une part, et d’autres considérations intéressant l’équité envers les parties, d’autre part. Toujours selon cette doctrine, une
partie ne peut pas engager une nouvelle instance à l’égard d’une question tranchée de façon définitive à l’issue d’une instance judiciaire antérieure opposant les mêmes parties ou celles qui les remplacent ». [ Penner , par. 29] De plus, « [l]a préclusion découlant d’une question déjà tranchée, de même que le pouvoir discrétionnaire qui s’y rattache, s’applique aux décisions des tribunaux administratifs. Le cadre juridique qui régit l’exercice de ce pouvoir discrétionnaire est énoncé dans Danyluk . À notre avis, ce cadre n’a pas été supplanté par la jurisprudence subséquente de la Cour.
Lorsque les cours de justice exercent leur pouvoir discrétionnaire, elles doivent tenir compte de l’éventail et de la diversité des structures, des mandats et des règles de procédure qui circonscrivent le travail des décideurs dans la sphère administrative; toutefois, il ne faut pas exercer ce pouvoir discrétionnaire de manière à, dans les faits, sanctionner une attaque collatérale, ou à miner l’intégrité du régime administratif. […] les lois qui créent les tribunaux administratifs sont le reflet des choix politiques des législateurs et la prise de décision par ces tribunaux doit être traitée avec respect par les cours de justice.
Cela dit, comme la Cour l’a affirmé dans Danyluk , par. 67 : « [L]’objectif est de faire en sorte que l’application de la préclusion découlant d’une question déjà tranchée favorise l’administration ordonnée de la justice, mais pas au prix d’une injustice concrète dans une affaire donnée ». [ Penner , par. 31] La preuve en l’espèce démontre que [M.B.] a déposé une plainte auprès de la Commission des droits de la personne et qu’il a par la suite déposé une demande auprès du conseil arbitral de l’assurance-emploi, avec l’aide d’un avocat chevronné pour mener à bien à la fois la plainte et la demande.
Il a déjà eu droit à « [sa] seule tentative ».
[10] M.B. a déposé une requête en révision de la décision fondée sur les motifs suivants : [TRADUCTION] 1. Il y a eu application et interprétation déraisonnables des art. 55 et 76 de la
Loi sur les relations industrielles ainsi que de l’article 12.07 de la convention collective; 2. Le conseil d’arbitrage a appliqué d’une façon déraisonnable les doctrines de la préclusion pour même question en litige, de l’abus de procédure et de la contestation indirecte; 3. Le conseil d’arbitrage a contrevenu aux principes de justice naturelle et d’équité procédurale; 4. La décision était fondée sur des conclusions de fait qui ne trouvent pas appui dans la preuve; 5. Les autres motifs qui peuvent se faire jour. [11] Les articles pertinents de la
Loi sur les relations industrielles , L.R.N.-B. 1973, ch. I-4, et de la convention collective sont joints à l’annexe « A ». III. Le contrôle judiciaire [12] Le juge qui a effectué la révision a examiné la preuve documentaire ainsi que la jurisprudence relative à la question de la norme de contrôle à appliquer (par. 34 à 39) et a conclu que la norme de contrôle applicable en l’espèce était celle de la décision raisonnable (norme de la raisonnabilité).
Il s’est dit d’avis qu’en ce qui a trait aux questions d’équité procédurale, la norme de la décision correcte est la norme appropriée, mais il a ajouté : « [J]e ne pense pas que, dans la présente affaire, la procédure ait été ‘inéquitable’, au sens de ce mot, pour les requérants.
Le simple fait que le grief ait été rejeté à une étape préliminaire ne signifie pas que la procédure était inéquitable » (par. 47). [13] Les intimés ont fait valoir que le conseil avait envers M.B. l’obligation de tenir une audience sur le bien-fondé de l’affaire et que l’absence d’une audience de cette nature constituait une violation des par. 55(1) et 76(4) de la
Loi sur les relations industrielles et de l’article 12.07 de la convention collective. Le juge qui a effectué la révision a reconnu qu’en l’espèce, « [l]e conseil ne s’est jamais prononcé sur le bien-fondé du grief » (par. 5); toutefois, pendant qu’il examinait cette prétention, il a dit ceci : « [S]elon mon interprétation, l’article 12.07 n’exige pas que chaque grief soit tranché sur le fond malgré une opposition préliminaire valable » (par. 56). [14] Il a conclu que l’objection préliminaire était en
partie valide et qu’il était raisonnable, pour ce motif, que le conseil ait refusé d’entendre le grief sur le fond en ce qui concernait la question ressortissant aux droits de la personne. Il a conclu que cette question était précluse et qu’il ne modifierait donc pas la décision du conseil à cet égard. Il a fait observer qu’il peut arriver qu’un chevauchement de compétence entre différents tribunaux administratifs fonde l’application de principes apparentés à la préclusion : Il est indéniable que la Commission a plein pouvoir pour trancher les questions qui lui sont soumises dans le contexte d’une plainte déposée en vertu de la
Loi sur les droits de la personne . Parallèlement, les parties à la convention collective ont aussi convenu qu’un conseil d’arbitrage avait le pouvoir particulier de décider des allégations de violation de la
Loi sur les droits de la personne . Cela ne veut pas dire qu’un conseil d’arbitrage pourrait rendre une décision qui lierait la Commission des droits de la personne ou, à l’inverse, que la Commission des droits de la personne pourrait rendre une décision qui lierait un conseil d’arbitrage. Les deux entités disposent de pouvoirs qui leur sont propres pour remédier aux violations des principes de protection des droits de la personne énoncés dans la
Loi sur les droits de la personne ou la convention collective. Toutefois, lorsque, comme en l’espèce, plus d’un tribunal ou organisme a compétence pour décider essentiellement de la même question à partir des mêmes faits, il est contraire au bon sens de permettre à une
partie de demander réparation aux deux. [par. 58] [15] L’article 4.01 de la convention collective intervenue entre la Ville et le SCFP,
section locale 18, interdit qu’une [TRADUCTION] « mesure discriminatoire ou coercitive fondée sur les motifs interdits par la
Loi sur les droits de la personne » soit exercée ou prise à l’endroit d’un employé. L’appelante prétend que cette question a été tranchée par la Commission et M.B. a choisi de ne pas demander la révision judiciaire de la décision en question. Je suis d’accord avec le juge qui a effectué la révision pour conclure que « [l]a
partie du grief qui soulève des questions de discrimination ou des questions se rapportant aux droits de la personne au sens de la
Loi sur les droits de la personne ne peut être instruite à nouveau » (par. 64). Je souligne incidemment que ni le SCFP ni M.B. n’ont formé d’appel reconventionnel relativement à cette question, de sorte que je ne l’examinerai pas.
[16] Le juge qui a effectué la révision a ensuite tiré les conclusions suivantes : Contrairement au lien qui existe entre la Commission et le conseil, il n’y a pas de chevauchement de compétence perceptible entre le régime de l’assurance-emploi et la procédure de règlement des griefs. En d’autres termes, il est difficile de concevoir qu’un conseil d’arbitrage aurait le pouvoir d’examiner et de trancher une question relative au droit d’obtenir des prestations d’assurance-emploi prévu par la loi.
Il n’est pas raisonnable non plus de penser qu’une décision du conseil arbitral de l’assurance-emploi (qui a jugé que l’inconduite de M.B. était à l’origine de son congédiement) est déterminante à l’égard des obligations de portée plus large des parties qui sont prévues à l’article 22.05.
On peut dire que le conseil arbitral de l’assurance-emploi a tranché une question relative au droit à des prestations prévues par la loi, ce qui est très différent de dire qu’il a déterminé les droits et obligations des parties qui sont prévues à l’article 22.05 (et des autres articles) de la convention collective. [par. 62] Autrement dit, ces deux entités ont des mandats distincts qui donnent lieu à des issues différentes. [17] Il a ensuite annulé la décision du conseil, en partie, et a tiré les conclusions suivantes : […] La
partie du grief qui soulève des questions de discrimination ou des questions se rapportant aux droits de la personne au sens de la
Loi sur les droits de la personne ne peut être instruite à nouveau. Toutes les autres questions soulevées dans le grief pourront être plaidées devant un conseil d’arbitrage nouvellement constitué. Je n’ai pas l’intention, dans la présente décision, de limiter la compétence du nouveau conseil pour établir l’étendue de la preuve qu’il pourra examiner. Ainsi, les requérants pourront tenter de présenter une preuve contextuelle qui, selon eux, illustre le comportement discriminatoire de la Ville. Il reviendra au nouveau conseil de décider si cette preuve est recevable ou non.
J’affirme seulement que la décision du conseil concernant l’article 4.01, ou plus largement les questions de discrimination ou les demandes présentées sous le régime de la
Loi sur les droits de la personne , est définitive. [par. 64 et 65] IV. Analyse A. L’évolution de la norme de contrôle [18] L’arrêt Dunsmuir c. Nouveau-Brunswick , 2008 CSC 9 , [2008] 1 R.C.S. 190 , a modifié le paysage canadien en matière de droit administratif pour ce qui concerne les normes de contrôle et l’arbitrage. Cette décision a été suivie et appliquée par notre Cour dans de nombreux arrêts, tout particulièrement les suivants : Small c. Société des alcools du Nouveau- Brunswick , 2012 NBCA 53 , 390 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 203 ; Smith c.
Province du Nouveau-Brunswick (Ministère de la Sécurité publique) et Commission des droits de la personne du Nouveau-Brunswick , 2012 NBCA 41 , 397 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 1 ; Port of Dalhousie Inc . c . Maltais , 2011 NBCA 84 , 377 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 312 ; Mourant c. Town of Sackville , 2014 NBCA 56 , 423 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 330 ; Bowater Maritimes Inc. c. Syndicat canadien des communications, de l’énergie et du papier, sections locales 117, 146, 164 et 263, et l’Association nationale des débardeurs,
section locale 1433 , 2011 NBCA 22 , 368 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 348 ; et J.D. Irving, Limited c. Office de commercialisation des produits forestiers du Nord et autres , 2014 NBCA 42 , 422 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 233 . [19] Les parties ne s’entendent pas sur la question de savoir si la norme de contrôle à appliquer est celle de la raisonnabilité ou celle de la décision correcte.
Dans l’arrêt Small , notre Cour, sous la plume du juge d’appel Robertson, a fourni certaines orientations à cet égard : Il nous reste donc à examiner la norme de contrôle qu’il faut appliquer aux pures questions de droit, lesquelles appartiennent à l’une des deux catégories suivantes : (1) l’identification d’un principe ou d’une règle de common law ou d’equity, ou d’un cadre analytique et (2) l’interprétation d’une clause contractuelle ou d’une disposition législative.
Il est un fait reconnu que la décision qu’un juge du procès ou un juge saisi d’une requête ou d’une motion rend sur une pure question de droit ne commande aucune déférence. Une cour d’appel a toute latitude pour se faire sa propre opinion (voir Housen c. Nikolaisen , au par. 8). Bien que la norme de la décision correcte ait toujours été la norme de contrôle applicable aux questions de droit tranchées dans le contexte de procédures civiles, il n’en est pas de même des décisions rendues par un tribunal administratif exerçant des fonctions décisionnelles. Il est généralement admis que les cours de révision
doivent faire preuve de déférence à l’égard des décisions qu’un tribunal administratif a rendues relativement à l’interprétation de sa loi constitutive, d’une loi étroitement liée et de tout arrangement contractuel relevant de son mandat, même si la question en litige comporte une pure question de droit. Toutefois, la voie que la Cour suprême du Canada a suivie pour arriver à ce stade n’avait rien de direct.
Un bref historique pourrait se révéler utile. […] […] Cette compréhension de l’état actuel du droit est renforcée par le fait que depuis la publication de l’arrêt Dunsmuir , la Cour suprême n’a toujours pas adopté la « méthode pragmatique et fonctionnelle » pour déterminer quelle est la norme de contrôle appropriée. L’analyse a plutôt été centrée sur la question de savoir si la question de droit tranchée par le tribunal administratif était du type qui commandait la déférence.
Il en découle qu’à l’heure actuelle, le rôle de la cour de révision consiste à cerner les types de questions de droit pour lesquelles la norme de la décision correcte est la norme appropriée. Il « devrait être présumé au départ » que toute décision interprétative de la loi constitutive du tribunal et des lois connexes sera assujettie à la norme déférente comme ce sera le cas des questions de droit qui ne revêtent pas une « importance capitale » pour le système juridique.
Trois décisions récentes de la Cour suprême confirment cette formulation abrégée du droit. [par. 17 et 21] [20] Une des trois décisions que le juge d’appel Robertson a mentionnées dans l’arrêt Small est l’arrêt Nor-Man Regional Health Authority Inc. c. Manitoba Association of Health Care Professionals , 2011 CSC 59 , [2011] 3 R.C.S. 616 .
Dans cette affaire, l’arbitre avait donné raison au syndicat quant à l’interprétation d’une disposition sur les crédits de congés annuels incluse dans la convention collective; toutefois, il avait appliqué la doctrine de la préclusion afin de refuser d’accorder la mesure réparatoire sollicitée par le syndicat. La Cour a conclu que puisque la préclusion appliquée à
titre de réparation d’equity par l’arbitre ne constituait pas une question qui revêtait une importance capitale pour le système juridique dans son ensemble et n’était pas une question étrangère au domaine d’expertise de l’arbitre, il fallait faire preuve de déférence envers la décision de l’arbitre sur la préclusion. La conclusion voulant que les arbitres en droit du travail ne soient pas tenus juridiquement d’appliquer les principes de common law et d’equity, dont la préclusion, de la même manière que les tribunaux judiciaires est tout aussi importante.
Puisque les cours de révision n’avaient pas pu s’entendre sur la norme de révision applicable (la Cour du Banc de la Reine ayant appliqué la norme de la raisonnabilité, mais la Cour d’appel ayant conclu que la norme de la décision correcte était la norme applicable), la Cour suprême a examiné le genre de questions au
titre desquelles la norme de la décision correcte est généralement appliquée et celles au
titre desquelles la norme de la raisonnabilité l’emporte habituellement et elle a confirmé la décision de l’arbitre : La décision d’un tribunal administratif est assujettie à la norme de la décision correcte si elle soulève une question constitutionnelle; une question « de droit générale ‘à la fois, d’une importance capitale pour le système juridique dans son ensemble et étrangère au domaine d’expertise de l’arbitre’ »; une « question touchant véritablement à la compétence »; ou une question portant sur la délimitation des compétences respectives de tribunaux spécialisés concurrents ( Dunsmuir , par. 58-61 ; Smith , par. 26 ; Toronto (Ville) c. S.C.F.P.,
section locale 79 , 2003 CSC 63 , [2003] 3 R.C.S. 77 , par. 62 , le juge LeBel).
En revanche, la norme de la raisonnabilité l’emporte généralement lorsque la décision du tribunal administratif touche aux faits, au pouvoir discrétionnaire ou à la politique; lorsque les faits et le droit s’entrelacent et ne peuvent être facilement dissociés; ou lorsque le tribunal administratif interprète sa propre loi constitutive ou une « loi étroitement liée à son mandat et dont il a une connaissance approfondie » ( Dunsmuir , par. 51 et 53-54 ; Smith , par. 26 ). [par. 35 et 36] Voir aussi l’arrêt Bowater Maritimes Inc. , au par. 18 . [21] En l’espèce, je ne vois rien de répréhensible dans l’analyse du juge qui a effectué la révision sur la question de la norme de contrôle; en fait, il a rejeté la norme de la décision correcte en s’appuyant sur les critères énoncés dans les arrêts Dunsmuir et Nor-Man , ce qui est, à mon avis, la bonne façon de procéder.
En concluant que la norme de contrôle applicable était celle de la raisonnabilité, il a dit ceci : [TRADUCTION] À mon avis, on ne trouve rien dans les éléments essentiels de la présente affaire qui exigerait l’application de la norme de la décision correcte. L’arrêt Nor-Man , précité, fait suffisamment autorité pour me permettre de conclure qu’un conseil d’arbitrage, dans des circonstances comme celles en l’espèce, qui applique les principes de la préclusion et ses concepts connexes, n’est pas en train de rendre une décision d’une importance capitale pour le système juridique.
Qui plus est, les questions soulevées en l’espèce ne sont certainement pas étrangères à l’expertise relative du conseil. Un examen superficiel des divers recueils regroupant les décisions arbitrales en matière de relations du travail révèle que, depuis des décennies, les
conseils d’arbitrage examinent et appliquent les principes de res judicata et de préclusion et les concepts connexes. […] Comme je suis convaincu que la norme de la raisonnabilité avait été désignée comme la norme de contrôle applicable dans des affaires antérieures, il n’y a pas lieu de passer au deuxième volet de l’analyse exigée par l’arrêt Dunsmuir , précité. [par. 45, 46 et 48] [22] Puisque c’est à bon droit que le juge qui a effectué la révision a employé la norme de la raisonnabilité, j’examinerai brièvement l’application de cette norme dans l’affaire qui nous occupe.
Dans l’arrêt Newfoundland and Labrador Nurses’ Union c. Terre-Neuve-et-Labrador (Conseil du Trésor) , 2011 CSC 62 , [2011] 3 R.C.S. 708 , la Cour, qui citait l’arrêt Dunsmuir , a dit ce qui suit : […] La cour de révision se demande dès lors si la décision et sa justification possèdent les attributs de la raisonnabilité.
Le caractère raisonnable tient principalement à la justification de la décision, à la transparence et à l’intelligibilité du processus décisionnel, ainsi qu’à l’appartenance de la décision aux issues possibles acceptables pouvant se justifier au regard des faits et du droit. [par. 11] [23] Dans l’arrêt Bowater Maritimes Inc. , notre Cour, sous la plume du juge d’appel Robertson, a examiné la déférence et la raisonnabilité en adoptant cette même analyse (par. 24). La Cour suprême a récemment réitéré cette démarche dans l’arrêt Sattva Capital Corp. c.
Creston Moly Corp . , 2014 CSC 53 , [2014] 2 R.C.S. 633 , au par. 119 . Par conséquent, comme l’a dit le juge Robertson dans l’arrêt Small , « [l]es motifs doivent […] être examinés en corrélation avec le résultat et ils doivent permettre de savoir si ce dernier fait
partie des issues possibles » (par. 11). Voir aussi : Sa Majesté la Reine du chef de la Province du Nouveau- Brunswick, représentée par le Conseil de gestion pour le compte du ministère des Ressources naturelles c. Pinder et le Syndicat des employé(e)s des secteurs public et privé du Nouveau-Brunswick , 2012 NBCA 60 , 391 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 110 , le juge Robertson, au par. 7. B.
Le critère qui régit la préclusion pour même question en litige [24] La préclusion pour même question en litige, la chose jugée, la contestation indirecte et l’abus de procédure sont des doctrines qui ont été dégagées afin d’assurer le caractère définitif des décisions judiciaires.
Le fondement de ces doctrines a récemment été expliqué dans l’arrêt Penner : La tenue d’une nouvelle instance à l’égard d’une question déjà tranchée gaspille les ressources, fait en sorte qu’il soit risqué pour les parties d’agir sur la foi du jugement obtenu à l’issue de l’instance antérieure, expose inéquitablement les parties à des frais additionnels, soulève le risque d’incohérence décisionnelle et, lorsque le premier décideur exerce une fonction qui relève du droit administratif, risque de contrecarrer l’intention du législateur qui a mis en place le régime administratif.
Pour ces motifs, le droit a développé un certain nombre de doctrines visant à limiter la tenue de nouvelles instances. [par. 28] [25] M. Penner avait été arrêté parce qu’il avait eu un comportement perturbateur dans une salle d’audience. Il avait par la suite déposé une plainte, en vertu de la
Loi sur les services policiers , L.R.O. 1990, ch. P.15, pour arrestation illégale et usage de force injustifiée pendant l’arrestation. Il avait également intenté, relativement au même incident, une action civile au
titre de laquelle la question de la préclusion avait été soulevée. Le juge Cromwell a conclu que bien que les trois conditions d’application de la préclusion fussent réunies, il y avait des différences importantes entre le processus d’audition de la plainte concernant la police et l’action civile; il y avait, tout particulièrement, des différences sur le plan de mesures réparatoires possibles et, surtout, le fait que M. Penner pouvait réclamer des dommages-intérêts dans le cadre de l’action civile. [26] La Cour suprême a reconnu qu’il pouvait y avoir des différences de nature procédurale entre les deux processus et qu’en privant une
partie de la possibilité de présenter pleinement sa preuve, on pouvait créer une iniquité. La Cour a examiné « l’objet » du régime législatif, la « procédure » ainsi que « la portée et l’effet » de l’instance administrative. La majorité a penché en faveur de l’approche souple, plus globale, et a conclu qu’il serait injuste envers M. Penner de l’empêcher, pour cause de préclusion, de faire entendre son action civile. Elle a conclu que « la loi ne vise pas à empêcher la tenue d’instances parallèles » (par. 51).
[27] L’arrêt Angle c. M.R.N., (SCC), [1975] 2 R.C.S. 248, [1974] A.C.S. no 95(QL), a établi trois conditions d’application de la préclusion pour même question en litige : il faut [TRADUCTION] « (1) que la mêmequestion ait été décidée; (2) que la décision judiciaire invoquée comme créant la fin de non-recevoir soit finale; et, (3) que les partiesdans la décision judiciaire invoquée, ou leurs ayants droit, soient les mêmes que les parties engagées dans l’affaire où la fin de non-recevoir est soulevée, ou leurs ayants droit » (p. 254).
Bien que l’arrêt Angle mentionne les décisions judiciaires, la jurisprudence adepuis établi que la préclusion pour même question en litige s’applique également aux décisions administratives. Même si les conditionsd’application sont réunies, le décideur a le pouvoir discrétionnaire résiduel de ne pas appliquer la préclusion pour même question enlitige (ou préclusion découlant qu’une question déjà tranché
e) lorsqu’il en découlerait une injustice entre les parties (Penner, au par. 29).Le juge Cromwell explique, en citant un extrait de l’arrêt de la Cour suprême dans l’affaire Danyluk c. Ainsworth Technologies Inc.,2001 CSC 44, [2001] 2 R.C.S. 460, que « [s]elon le principe sur lequel repose ce pouvoir discrétionnaire, ‘[u]ne doctrine élaborée parles tribunaux dans l’intérêt de la justice ne devrait pas être appliquée mécaniquement et donner lieu à une injustice’ : Danyluk, au par. 1;voir également Toronto (Ville) c. S.C.F.P.,
section locale 79, 2003 CSC 63, [2003] 3 R.C.S. 77, par. 52-53 » (par. 30). [28] Dans leur mémoire, les intimés ont invoqué l’arrêt Minott c. O’Shanter Development Co., (ON CA), [1999] O.J. No. 5 (C.A.) (QL) : [TRADUCTION] « Avant le dépôt de l’arrêt Danyluk, la Cour d’appel del’Ontario avait, aux paragraphes 53 à 58 de l’arrêt Minott, énuméré cinq motifs de préoccupation découlant de l’exercice du pouvoirdiscrétionnaire afin d’appliquer la préclusion pour même question en litige aux conclusions d’un conseil arbitral dans le cadre du régimede l’assurance-emploi ».
Parmi ces motifs de préoccupation, la Cour a reconnu la possibilité qu’une [TRADUCTION] « injusticeconcrète soit causée aux demandeurs ». Le juge Binnie a lui aussi mentionné ce motif de préoccupation, dans l’arrêt Danyluk, lorsqu’il aexaminé les facteurs susceptibles d’être pertinents pour l’exercice du pouvoir discrétionnaire à la deuxième étape de l’analyse :« L’objectif est de faire en sorte que l’application de la préclusion découlant d’une question déjà tranchée favorise l’administrationordonnée de la justice, mais pas au prix d’une injustice concrète dans une affaire donnée » (par. 67). [29] Dans l’arrêt
Section locale 1188 du SCFP et LeBlanc c. Ville de Sackville, 2007 NBCA 18, 313 R.N.-B. (2e) 147, notre Cour, sous la plume du juge Drapeau, juge en chef du Nouveau-Brunswick, a confirmé que la préclusion pourmême question en litige est applicable dans le contexte du droit du travail et il en a résumé l’application : Le principe de la chose jugée – que certains qualifient de doctrine – comporte deux formes distinctes : la préclusion pour même caused’action et la préclusion pour même question en litige.
En général, la préclusion pour même cause d’action – encore appelée parfoispréclusion liée à la cause d’action – a pour objet d’empêcher la réintroduction d’une action qui a été jugée déjà, tandis que la préclusionpour même question en litige vise à interdire le remaniement d’une question en litige qui a été tranchée déjà dans le cadre d’une décisionantérieure. L’autorité de la chose jugée a été considérée comme constituant une règle de preuve (voir Canadian Union of PublicEmployees, Local 1394 c. Extendicare Health Services Inc. (1993), (ON CA), 14 O.R. (3d) 65 (C.A.), [1993] O.J.
No.1545 (QL), le juge d’appel Doherty), et comme un obstacle ou un moyen de défense à un recours qui exige la présentation d’uneplaidoirie spéciale (voir Cooper c. Molsons Bank (1896), 1896 CanLII 22 (SCC), 26 R.C.S. 611, à la page 620, Cox c. Cox and Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (1987), (NB CA), 82 R.N.-B. (2e) 379 (C.A.), à la page 382, [1987] A.N.-B. no 526 (QL), ainsi que Donald J. Lange, The Doctrine of Res Judicata in Canada, 2e éd. (Markham, Ont. : LexisNexis Butterworths, 2004), à lapage 11).
Dans l’un et l’autre cas, ni la préclusion pour même cause d’action ni la préclusion pour même question en litige n’opère detelle sorte à déposséder un tribunal judiciaire de sa compétence dans une action (voir McNichol c. Co-operators General Insurance Co. (2006), 298 R.N.-B. (2e) 44 (C.A.), [2006] A.N.-B. no 194 (QL), 2006 NBCA 64, au par. 23). De plus, les tribunaux se sont réservés lepouvoir discrétionnaire de rejeter l’application du principe de la chose jugée dans des circonstances, à vrai dire, exceptionnelles (voirl’arrêt McNichol, au par. 23, et la jurisprudence citée dans cet arrêt, dont Danyluk c.
Ainsworth Technologies Inc., précité). […] Dans l’une ou l’autre de ces formes, la chose jugée n’est guère une formalité. De fait, on la qualifie communément de [TRADUCTION]« doctrine fondamentale du système de justice » (se reporter à l’ouvrage The Doctrine of Res Judicata in Canada, précité, à la page 8),laquelle s’inspire de considérations de justice et de bon sens (voir New Brunswick Rail. Co. c. British and French Trust Corporation,Ltd., [1939] A.C. 1, lord Maugham L.C., aux pages 19 et 20).
On a dit que l’equity de la doctrine est [TRADUCTION] « manifeste » (voir George Spencer Bower et Sir Alexander Turner, The Doctrine of Res Judicata, 2e éd. (London : Butterworths, 1969, à la page 11)et qu’elle [TRADUCTION] « tire son origine des principes reconnus en equity » (voir Comeau et al. c. Breau et al. (1994), (NB CA), 145 R.N.-B. (2e) 329 (C.A.), [1994] A.N.-B. no 74 (QL), le juge d’appel Rice, au par. 13, Beairsto et al. c. Michaud, [2002] N.B.R. (2d) (Supp.) No. 52 (C.B.R.), 2002 NBQB 210 , [2002] A.N.-B. no 211 (QL), 2002 NBBR 210 (le juge Guerette), au par. 73, et Phillips Estate c.
Noble, [1997] A.N.-B. no 553 (QL) (la juge Larlee, tel était alors son titre), au par. 10). Iln’est pas étonnant de constater qu’il existe aussi des décisions arbitrales qui qualifient de [TRADUCTION] « principe d’equity » lapréclusion pour même question en litige (voir Sheet Metal Workers’ International Assn. c. Giffin Sheet Metal Ltd. (Shift PremiumGrievance), [1999] O.L.A.A. No. 926 (QL)). [par. 33 et 36] Voir aussi l’arrêt Ganong Bros., Limited c. Directeur exécutif de l’évaluation, 2004 NBCA 46, 271 R.N.-B. (2e) 43.
[30] Dans l’arrêt Penner, la Cour a appliqué le cadre juridique régissant la préclusion pour mêmequestion en litige (ou découlant d’une question déjà tranché
e) qui avait été établi dans l’arrêt Danyluk. L’arrêt Danyluk énonce uneanalyse à deux volets qui s’inspire de l’arrêt Angle : Les règles régissant la préclusion découlant d’une question déjà tranchée ne doivent pas être appl