2020 NBCA 6, 2020 NBCA 6
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 10-19-CA MARJORIE JOY BANKS, WILLIAM SHANE BANKS, WENDY DIANE MALONE, DANIEL KENNETH MALONE, BRENT CONRAD, SANDRA CONRAD and DALE T. BRIGGS APPELLANTS MARJORIE JOY BANKS, WILLIAM SHANE BANKS, WENDY DIANE MALONE, DANIEL KENNETH MALONE, BRENT CONRAD, SANDRA CONRAD et DALE T. BRIGGS APPELANTS - and - - et - HER MAJESTY THE QUEEN IN RIGHT OF THE PROVINCE OF NEW BRUNSWICK, ELEANOR BETH BEAL, RAYMOND BEAL, BETTY STRIGHT, GORDON STRIGHT, LARRY STRIGHT, DAVID STRIGHT, and STRANG’S SHORE SEASONAL CAMPING INC.
RESPONDENTS SA MAJESTÉ LA REINE DU CHEF DE LA PROVINCE DU NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK, ELEANOR BETH BEAL, RAYMOND BEAL, BETTY STRIGHT, GORDON STRIGHT, LARRY STRIGHT, DAVID STRIGHT et STRANG’S SHORE SEASONAL CAMPING INC. INTIMÉS Banks et al. v. Province of New Brunswick et al., 2020 NBCA 6 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Quigg The Honourable Justice Baird The Honourable Justice LaVigne Banks et autres c.
Province du Nouveau-Brunswick et autres, 2020 NBCA 6 CORAM : l’honorable juge Quigg l’honorable juge Baird l’honorable juge LaVigne Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench : January 3, 2019 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : Le 3 janvier 2019 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: 2019 NBQB 3 Décision frappée d’appel : 2019 NBBR 3 Preliminary or incidental proceedings: None Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : aucune
Appeal heard: September 12, 2019 Appel entendu : le 12 septembre 2019 Judgment rendered: January 30, 2020 Jugement rendu : le 30 janvier 2020 Reasons for judgment: The Honourable Justice Quigg Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Baird The Honourable Justice LaVigne Counsel at hearing: For the appellants: Dale T. Briggs For the respondent the Province of New Brunswick: Michael Leonard Hynes For the respondent Strang’s Shore Seasonal Camping Inc.: Yvon G. LeBlanc, Q.C.
For the respondents Eleanor Beth Beal, Raymond Beal, Betty Stright, Gordon Stright, Larry Stright and David Stright: No one appeared Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge Quigg Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Baird l’honorable juge LaVigne Avocats à l’audience : Pour les appellants : Dale T. Briggs Pour l’intimée la Province du Nouveau-Brunswick : Michael Leonard Hynes Pour l’intimée Strang’s Shore Seasonal Camping Inc. : Yvon G. LeBlanc, c.r.
Pour les intimés Eleanor Beth Beal, Raymond Beal, Betty Stright, Gordon Stright, Larry Stright et David Stright : personne n’a comparu THE COURT The appeal is dismissed with two sets of costs in the amount of $ 2,500 each. One set of costs is payable by the appellants to the Province of New Brunswick. The second set of costs is payable by the appellants to the respondent Strang’s Shore Seasonal Camping Inc. No costs are awarded to the respondents who were unrepresented. LA COUR L’appel est rejeté avec paiement de deux masses de dépens de 2 500 $ chacune.
Une masse de dépens est payable par les appelants à la Province du Nouveau- Brunswick, l’autre par les appelants à l’intimée Strang’s Shore Seasonal Camping Inc. Aucuns dépens ne sont adjugés aux intimés qui n’étaient pas représentés. The judgment of the Court was delivered by
QUIGG, J.A. I. Introduction [ 1 ] The primary question raised in this appeal is whether the trial judge erred when he determined the Stright Beach Road located at Murray Corner, Westmorland County, “was dedicated by the action of the Stright family” and is therefore a public highway or right-of-way. II. Facts [ 2 ] The Stright Beach Road (“the Road”) is approximately 483 metres in length, running north from provincial Highway 955 to the Northumberland Strait in Murray Corner. The appellants, Marjorie Joy Banks, William Shane Banks, Wendy Diane Malone, Daniel Kenneth Malone, Brent Conrad, Sandra Conrad and Dale T.
Briggs, are the owners in fee simple, as tenants in common, of the Road located in the Edith Stright subdivision. [ 3 ] The appellants became owners of the Road on January 3, 2013. Their Certificate of Registered Ownership states that title to the Road is subject to overriding incidents specified in s. 17(4) of the Land Titles Act , S.N.B. 1981, c. L-1.1 . Section 17(4) (
f) includes “any public highway or other public right-of-way, however created, on, over or in respect of the land.” [ 4 ] The respondent, Her Majesty the Queen in right of the Province of New Brunswick as represented by the Minister of Transportation and Infrastructure (“the Province”) is the public body responsible for determining and administering public roads and rights-of-way in the province. The respondent, Strang’s Shore Seasonal Camping Inc. is the owner of property adjacent to the Road.
The subdivision plan, which created the Strang’s Shore Seasonal Camping Inc. lot, indicates the Road as public. [ 5 ] The respondents, Eleanor Beth Beal, Raymond Beal, Betty Stright, Gordon Stright, Larry Stright and David Stright are all owners of property located in the same subdivision as the appellants. They are also all descendants or married to descendants of the late Gordon Stright, who passed away in 1959. [ 6 ] The Province acknowledges the appellants are the owners in fee simple of the Road but maintains it is subject to a public right-of-way and has been since at least 1964.
The other respondents adopted the Province’s position at the hearing of the appeal. [ 7 ] From 1925 to 1959, Gordon Stright was the legal owner of the land on which the Road is situated. According to Crown Grant mapping done by the New Brunswick Department of Natural Resources, the Road was mapped as a road in the early 1940s. The location of the Road is visible in aerial photographs dating back as early as 1944. [ 8 ] In 1959, Edith Stright, Gordon Stright’s wife, became the legal owner of the land on which the Road is situated.
There is no evidence that she restricted or controlled use of the Road at any time. [ 9 ] The Province classifies roads pursuant to the Highway Act , R.S.N.B. 1973, c. H-5 , and the earlier Highway Act , S.N.B. 1963 (2nd Sess.), c. 6. Beginning in 1964, the Province has mapped roads in New Brunswick and compiled the maps in a designated highways book. The maps include the classification of the roads. In 1964, the Road was mapped and classified as a non- designated public road, meaning a public road that is not maintained by the Province. [ 10 ] In 1974, Edith Stright first subdivided her land.
The registered subdivision plan created six new parcels on a cul-de-sac at the north end of the Road. The plan also indicated the Road was a “private street.”
[ 11 ] In 1978, a second subdivision of the Stright property was undertaken. A registered subdivision plan created five new parcels and a new cul-de-sac extending from the west side of the Road. Again, the Road was marked as a “private street.” [ 12 ] In 1983, a third subdivision of the Edith Stright property was completed, at which time an additional property abutting the west side of the Road was created. The registered subdivision plan, signed by Edith Stright as the owner, describes the Road as an “Access.” In signing this plan, Edith Stright discontinued the description of the Road as private.
The plan was approved by a development officer for the Province on February 17, 1983, and registered in the land registry on February 21, 1983. [ 13 ] In 1988, ownership of the fee simple of the Road was transferred from the estate of Edith Stright to her grandson and his spouse at that time, David Stright and Sandra Stright. David Stright owned the Road until 2003, when he transferred his interest to Sandra Stright. [ 14 ] In October 2003, Sandra Stright subdivided the property to create two new parcels on the west side of the Road. One of the parcels was to be acquired by the appellant, William Shane Banks.
The Road was described on the subdivision plan as being “PUBLIC NON-DESIGNATED.” Both Sandra Stright and Mr. Banks signed the plan beneath the following statement: WE, THE UNDERSIGNED DO HEREBY CONSENT THAT WE ARE THE REGISTERED OWNERS OF THE PROPERTY BEING SUBDIVIDED HEREON AND DO HEREBY GRANT APPROVAL TO THIS PLAN. [Capitals in original.] The plan was approved for registration by the Tantramar Planning Commission on October 23, 2003, and registered in the Westmorland County land registry on October 28, 2003. III.
Procedural History [ 15 ] On February 10, 2014, the appellants filed a Notice of Application in the Court of Queen’s Bench of New Brunswick, naming the Province as the respondent and seeking an order declaring that, inter alia , the Road is a private access road. [ 16 ] On April 1, 2014, a judge of the Court of Queen’s Bench ordered the appellants to serve notice of their Application on other owners whose property adjoined the Road. [ 17 ] In response to service of the appellants’ Application, the respondents, Beth Beal, Raymond Beal, Betty Stright, Gordon Stright, Larry Stright and David Stright filed a Statement of Adverse Claim to object to the Application.
Linda Strang filed an affidavit in opposition to the Application. [ 18 ] On July 14, 2014, the judge ordered, among other things, that the matter be treated as an action pursuant to Rule 38.09(
b) of the Rules of Court . [ 19 ] The trial of this matter took place in Moncton, from November 20 to 26, 2018. [ 20 ] On January 3, 2019, a judge of the Court of Queen’s Bench issued a decision ruling the Road “was dedicated by the action of the Stright family over a long number of years,” and is therefore a non-maintained highway (i.e., public road). IV. Grounds of Appeal
[21] The issues arising from the appellants’ grounds of appeal can be summarized as follows:
a) Is there a hybrid way to create a public right-of-way in New Brunswick which permits the Province to make a designation under s.15(1)(
b) of the Highway Act, R.S.N.B. 1973, c. H-5, and put it in the Designated Highways Plan Book without first acquiring thoserights by either, purchase, expropriation, the vesting on the registration of a plan under the Community Planning Act, S.N.B. 2017, c. 19,or dedication and long public use?
b) When should the determination of the public right-of-way be made: in 1964 when the Province first entered Stright Beach Road(also called Cape Bruin Road) in the designated highways mapping or at some later date after the subdivision was created? In makingthis determination what legislation, if any, should apply: the Highway Act, R.S.N.B. 1973, c. H-5, or the Highway Act, S.N.B. 1963, c. 6,in effect in 1964?
c) Did the Province meet the onus to prove a public right-of-way existed over the lands of the appellants by dedication and longpublic use prior to 1964 when Stright Beach Road was designated as a non-maintained highway and entered in the designated highwaysmapping? If not, is it open to the Province to attempt to prove dedication and long public use after entering it in the designated highwaysmapping?
d) Did the trial judge correctly apply the rationale in the case of Town of Newcastle v. Dutcher (1976), (NB KB),14 N.B.R. (2d) 510, [1976] N.B.J. No. 128 (Q.B.) (QL), by holding that the existence of a cul-de-sac along a right-of-way gives rise toan inference that the right-of-way is public? V. Standard of Review [22] The trial judge found the facts regarding the history of the Road established it as public, based on the commonlaw doctrine of dedication. On a pure question of law, the standard of review is correctness.
Questions of fact require deference, as doquestions of mixed law and fact unless there is an extricable question of law, in which case correctness is the standard. VI. Evidence [23] From 2003 to 2014, fee simple in the Road was owned by Sandra Stright and others. While these owners, otherthan William Shane Banks, did not testify, there is no evidence that any of them considered the Road to be private or took any steps torestrict or control use of the Road at any time.
The record indicates public use of the Road was unrestricted from its construction inapproximately 1940 to 2013. [24] Betty Banks gave evidence on behalf of the appellants and confirmed that, despite frequent traffic on the Road,the owners of the Road have never denied access to the general public.
In particular, her testimony included the following: • She is the daughter of Edith and Gordon Stright, and was born in 1934 in Murray Corner; • She built a cottage along the Road in 1972 or 1973, and in 1993 made it her permanent residence (lot 4); • She has no recollection of her parents or their successors in title refusing anyone access to the Road at any time; • Traffic on the Road increased after the property was subdivided for development;
• By 2014, she became nervous living on the Road because there was more traffic, including people she did not know. [ 25 ] The appellant, William Shane Banks, testified: • He is Edith Stright’s grandson; • He had no knowledge of the family of Gordon Stright (who collectively owned the fee simple in the Road until 2003) denying anyone access to the Road; • He has lived on a lot abutting the Road since 1985; • His first memory of the Road was from the late 1960s; • A culvert was put in a low spot in the Road and then the area was filled with shale; • The Road evolved over the years.
Cottage owners chipped in to pay a neighbour, Terry Wood, to work on the Road; • The Road was used by pizza deliverers and there was casual use by people who drove down the Road and turned (“turners”); • In the summer, when more people were around, there were more people using the Road.
In the Fall, it was mostly immediate family; • A little increase in unknown cars was observed when signage at the main road changed; • More camper trailers began using the Road when Strang’s Shore Seasonal Camping Inc. set up next door; • The only examples of denial of access he cited were from the 1980s, 1990s and into the 2000s when he or the appellant, Daniel Kenneth Malone, prevented access due to wet conditions or built a speed bump to slow traffic down; • Neither Mr. Banks nor Mr. Malone had any ownership interest in the Road, however, until 2014; • Further, when Mr.
Banks built a speed bump on the Road, David Stright, who was the legal owner of the Road, objected to it and it was removed. [ 26 ] In his evidence, respondent David Stright testified: • He was born in 1958 and was aware of the Road all his life, more so since cottage lots were developed in about 1974; • His earliest memory of the Road was when he was about eight or ten years old;
• Since the cottage lots have been there, the “road’s been used by everyone and everyone [ sic ]”; • In 1988, he purchased the house which had belonged to his grandmother, Edith Stright, along with the Road; • He understood that, in purchasing the property, it included the Road which he believed to be a “public right-of-way”; • During the time Edith Stright owned the property, he never heard any disagreement about anybody using the Road, and when he and Sandra Stright owned it, they never discouraged anyone from using it; • Commercial use of the Road included regular use by “U-bake” pizza deliverers and fish peddlers, and the sale of campfire wood which was advertised on the main highway; • Since transferring his interest in the Road to Sandra Stright in 2003, he has co-owned lot 3 in the subdivision. [ 27 ] Evidence of other respondents indicated the Road has long been used by the general public.
Raymond Beal and Beth Beal are owners of a colourfully painted cottage at the north end of the subdivision.
Raymond Beal testified: • While a lot of people come down the Road, turn around and go back out, in a typical summer about six people will stop to view their cottage; • On a summer day in 2018, he counted seventeen cars on the Road, most of which were unfamiliar to him; • Commercial activities on the Road have included the sale of campfire wood, a sewing business and a furniture building business; • He taught hunter safety courses in the summer from his lot, to twelve to fifteen children at a time. [ 28 ] The respondent, Beth Beal, gave testimony which included the following: • She is the granddaughter of Edith Stright and sister of David Stright; • Her earliest recollection of travelling down the Road in a vehicle was in about 1965, when at the age of about 13 she was driven in a vehicle; • She started travelling on the Road more frequently in about 1975 or 1976, when her parents moved a trailer onto a lot in the subdivision, and was there “pretty well…every weekend” in the summer months; • In the early 1980s, cars were travelling on the Road, and unknown cars were travelling down the road and turning around to such an extent that they came to be described as the “turners”; • Occupants of cars using the Road would view and photograph the Confederation Bridge or take pictures of the colourful cottage, at which time she “never ever heard once over the years that anybody has objected to people doing that”;
• While at her cottage, she met individuals from the Philippines, Australia, England, the United States and different provinces throughout Canada on the Road; • She estimated six to eight cars per day (not going to cottages) in the summer of 2018. [ 29 ] The respondent, Betty Stright, gave testimony which included the following: • Her first memory of the Road was when she attended Christmas dinner at the invitation of Edith Stright’s son, Raymond Stright, whom she married in 1947; • She recalls driving down the Road to tent in the 1960s; • Raymond Stright became an owner of a lot in the subdivision in 1974; • In the 1970s Raymond Stright towed a travel trailer over the Road to the lot for use from spring to fall; • She never thought about whether the Road was private or public, and just thought it was the road to the shore. [ 30 ] The Province produced no evidence of public use of the Road prior to 1964 when it entered it in the designated highways mapping.
The only witness called by the Province was Mr. Noman Côté, Assistant Manager of Property Services Branch, Right-of-Way Management for the Province of New Brunswick. In his testimony, he stated that he had no direct evidence of any public use prior to the Province entering it in the designated highways mapping. He testified that the Province extracted shale from the property owned by Gordon Stright pursuant to a lease which contained a right-of-way from the main road to the shale.
This right-of-way is included in the Road. [ 31 ] The Province maintains that it expended public funds on the Road by grading it on at least two occasions. This occurred after it designated the Road a public right-of-way. The grading was apparently done in the late 1990s and was the only expenditure of public money during the 55 years since the Road was entered on the designated highways mapping. On cross- examination, Mr. Côté conceded that the grading would likely have cost the Province less than $1,000 in total.
The Province has not expended any funds for snow removal on the Road, either before or after it was entered on the designated highways mapping. All snow removal has been contracted and paid for by the full-time residents of the subdivision. [ 32 ] In 2012, the respondent, Strang’s Shore Seasonal Camping Inc., purchased a parcel of land adjacent to the Road on the east side. The purchase, for the price of $210,000, was intended to expand its commercial campground. According to the evidence of the company’s president, Linda Strang, surveying and legal investigations determined that the Road was a public access.
The public access was important to the company to avoid the property being landlocked, whether for the purpose of operating the campground or future development of the property for cottage lots. [ 33 ] The property purchased by Strang’s Shore Seasonal Camping Inc. was created by a 2012 subdivision, which identifies the new parcel as Lot 12-2. The subdivision plan, prepared by licensed surveyor Michael Gould, identifies the Road as a public road. It was approved for registration by the Tantramar Planning Commission on July 23, 2012, and registered in the Westmorland County land registry on August 27, 2012.
Strang’s Shore Seasonal Camping Inc. submitted there had been dedication and acceptance. Evidence was given that there had been open, unobstructed use by the public for a substantial time. Strang’s Shore Seasonal Camping Inc. maintained there was sufficient evidence to conclude there was dedication long before the Road was conveyed to the appellants. VII. Analysis [ 34 ] As the trial judge observes in his decision, “[m]ost of the evidence before the court is not disputed” (para. 37). He then went on to make findings of fact :
I believe it may be helpful to review and confirm certain findings of fact: 1. The roadway in question has not been precisely located, but it is generally in the area where the road to the gravel and shale pits was established. It is shown on plan 9248 (Annex “A”) as a “Private Street” and the plan was registered in the land registry office on September 19, 1974. Other plans show a slightly different location. 2. The roadway was initially established by way of a lease to the gravel pits for the supply of gravel for Route 955.
The lease was dated July 31, 1940 and was somewhat open-ended in that the Crown had access until all the gravel was gone. There was no renewal of the lease and the gravel pits have not been used for many years. 3. As can be seen by the annex to these reasons, the roadway has been referred to as “private” early on in its existence which changed to a non-designated public road in 1964. However, up until the late 1990’s the road in question was named and the name was shown on a “blue street sign” which indicates a private road.
This sign was changed to a “green street sign” and a stop sign was erected at the intersection with Route 955. A green street sign indicates a public road. 4. Throughout the roadway’s history, the public, in addition to the residents, used the road. Many would go to the area near the pits to take pictures of the Confederation Bridge. Some of the residents referred to these people as “turners” because they came down the road to take pictures and see the interestingly painted cottage situated on the road and then “turned” and left the area. Sometimes, they visited with the owner of that cottage. […] 5.
Most witnesses acknowledged that other roadways nearby had more traffic on them than the roadway in question. One roadway was to a wharf and these roadways are all private roads not non-designated public roadways as in the case of the road now before the Court. 6. The Province expended a small amount, unknown, to grade the roadway twice. Some of the residents also had work done on the roadway utilizing some of the equipment and material supplied by a resident. I believe it is not contested that the cost of the work done by some of the residents would greatly exceed the cost expended by the Province. 7.
The evidence establishes that the Province of New Brunswick through the Minister of Highway has designated the roadway in question a non-designated public road. The evidence also establishes that prior to the designation in 1964, the roadway was shown as private on a subdivision plan. 8. There is no evidence that the Province, either by expropriation or otherwise, paid the adjacent owners of property for the roadway. [para. 38] A. Hybrid method to create a public right-of-way [ 35 ] The appellants submit the trial judge erred in stating there is a hybrid way to create a public right-of-way.
They say the trial judge explained this occurs when the Province makes a designation under s. 15(1) (
b) of the Highway Act and puts it in the Designated Highways Plan Book without first acquiring those rights by either purchase, expropriation, the registration of a plan under the Community Planning Act or dedication and long public user. “Public user” is defined in Words and Phrases , permanent ed., vol. 35A (St. Paul, Minn.: West Publishing Co., 1963): PUBLIC USER A “public user” of land dedicated for a street is a use by the public of the neighborhood. Board of Com’rs of Town of Keyport v. Freehold & A. H. R. Co. , 65 A. 1035, 1036, 74 N.J.L. 480, citing Wood v. Hurd , 34 N.J.L. 87, 91.
[ 36 ] The appellants argue if we determine that no hybrid method exists to create public rights-of-way, then the decision regarding whether the Road became a public right-of-way must be determined on the doctrine of dedication and long public user.
The Province has conceded it has no claim to the fee simple of the Road, and its claim rests solely upon the doctrine of dedication and long public user. [ 37 ] In his decision, the trial judge stated that Anger and Honsberger Law of Real Property , 2nd ed., Vol. 2 (Aurora, Ontario: Canada Law Book Inc., 1985) delineates four methods by which public roads or rights-of-way may be acquired by the Province.
He then goes on to say that “there appears to be a hybrid way which could be effective,” namely when the Province designates a road as public in its mapping books, thereby creating a public road (paras. 40 and 44). Although the appellants state the judge determined the status of the Road on this basis, in reviewing the decision, it is apparent the statement was made in obiter dicta and was not the final determination used by the judge to decide the roadway was a public right-of-way. [ 38 ] The trial judge refers to the hybrid method when he questions this method at para. 60 of the decision.
He states: “[w]hile I may question how the roadway became a public highway or right-of-way by the filing of a plan in 1964 […].” The trial judge did not make an explicit ruling on that issue and did not apply it to determine whether the Road was a public right-of-way. The final decision was based on the common law doctrine of dedication. As such, even if the trial judge erred in referring to a hybrid method, the error does not override the factual finding of dedication. It does not appear to have been a significant factor in his decision.
The issue raised by the appellants regarding the hybrid method is essentially an objection to the obiter dicta contained in the decision. Even if the judge had been wrong in his obiter statement, it is not on that basis he dismissed the action. The trial judge dismissed the action based on his finding that “the roadway was dedicated by the action of the Stright family over a long number of years” (para. 61). I would dismiss this ground of appeal. B. Common law dedication [ 39 ] Anger and Honsberger provides: 2008.2 Creation of a Highway Highways may be created by dedication, public authority or estoppel. (
a) Dedication, generally An owner of land may establish a public highway by the dedication and the acceptance by the public of the land for use as a highway. This is known as a common law dedication. Both the intention to dedicate and the acceptance by the public must be proved in order to establish a dedication. No formal act of adoption is required to indicate acceptance. It usually is inferred by public user of the highway. Whether or not there has been a dedication and acceptance is a question of fact.
Evidence of the use of a road by the public is merely evidence from which the intention of the registered owner to dedicate the road to the municipality may be inferred. In rural areas, this intention should not be too readily inferred since local residents may allow each other to use private roadways in a spirit of neighbourliness. Especially is this the case in areas which are in an early state of developments. Open and unobstructed user by the public for a substantial time is as a rule evidence from which both dedication and acceptance may be inferred.
User, however, is but the evidence to prove dedication; it is not user, but dedication, which creates a highway, as a public highway cannot be created by prescription. The expenditure of public funds to maintain a highway is an inference of both dedication and acceptance. Where there is no direct evidence of an owner’s intention an animus dedicandi may be inferred either from the fact that a highway has been maintained and repaired by the proper authority or from the fact of uninterrupted public user. If, however, there is no evidence of either of these facts, no such intention can be presumed. […]
(
d) Creation by estoppel As a rule, a highway cannot be established by prescription as that is based upon the presumption of a lost grant and it is impossible tohave a grant to such a large and indefinite body as the public. A court, however, as an alternative where there has been long public user,there being no proof that the user was by leave, favour or dedication, may presume that there has been a dedication which estops thelandowner from denying such a dedication as against members of the public.
The action of a person who lays out lots on his lands with streets to bound them and sells the lots according to such plan is evidence of anintention to dedicate the streets, and the owner is deemed in the absence of contrary evidence to have dedicated the streets. This is a formof estoppel.
Similarly, where an owner sells lots abutting on a street even where the public has not accepted the dedication the owner is estoppedfrom denying the purchasers’ rights to use the street as such. [pp. 1001-03] [40] The appellants submit the concept of dedication to the public at common law has been canvassed by the courtsof this province, and the cases have consistently held the onus of proving that a road is public is on the public authority asserting it ispublic. The onus cannot be lightly discharged.
In order to establish that a road has been dedicated, the Province must first establish therewas an intention to dedicate the road. The Province agrees and says while the mapping of the Road in 1964 is a relevant consideration,other evidence as to the earlier and later use and treatment of the Road is also important. As such, the Province submits there need not bea specific point to make the determination of whether the Road is a public road.
The Province says there was an express dedication ofthe Road in October 2003, when the registered owner of the Road signed and registered a subdivision plan describing the Road aspublic. As such, according to the Province, a public right-of-way arose at that time if it already had not. [41] The appellants say the Province should not be permitted to rely on after-the-fact evidence. This would renderevidence of the subsequent 54-year status of the Road inadmissible. The Province says that there is no authority for this argument and itis without merit.
It agrees that the onus is upon it to prove a public right-of-way on a balance of probabilities (see F.H. v. McDougall,2008 SCC 53, [2008] 3 S.C.R. 41, at para. 40; and McCann and McCann v. Dugas and Greenwood (1979), (NB KB),27 N.B.R. (2d) 361, [1979] N.B.J. No. 232 (Q.B.) (QL)). [42] As explained in Anger and Honsberger, roads may become subject to public rights-of-way in varioussituations. One way that is identified is public authority. This includes subdivision of land and expropriation, which are set out in NewBrunswick under the former Community Planning Act, R.S.N.B. 1973, c.
C-12, and the Expropriation Act, R.S.N.B. 1973, c. E-14.Neither of these statutes apply to the present situation. Anger and Honsberger identifies dedication and estoppel as well. [43] This Court confirmed the application of the doctrine of dedication in Attorney-General of New Brunswick exrel. University of New Brunswick v. City of Fredericton, [1967] N.B.J. No. 9 (C.A.) (QL). The Court adopted the following comments ofDuff J. (as he then was) in Bailey v. City of Victoria (1920), (SCC), 60 S.C.R. 38, [1920] S.C.J.
No. 2 (QL): […] two concurrent conditions must be satisfied, 1st, there must be on the part of the owner the actual intention to dedicate, (Folkstone v.Brockman, [1914] A.C. 338), and 2nd, it must appear that the intention was carried out by the way being thrown open to the public andthat the way has been accepted by the public […]. [para. 41] [44] In Lyons et al. v. Jordan et al. (1997), (NB KB), 187 N.B.R. (2d) 391, [1997] N.B.J. No.180 (Q.B.) (QL), Russell J. cited Halsbury’s Laws of England, 3rd ed., vol. 19: 61. Intention to dedicate.
Dedication necessarily presupposes an intention to dedicate; there must be “animus dedicandi”. The intentionmay be openly expressed in words or writing, but, as a rule, it is a matter of inference; and it is for a court or jury to say whether theintention is to be inferred from the evidence as to the acts and behaviour of the landowner when viewed in the light of all the surroundingcircumstances. 62. Acceptance by public. Acceptance by the public requires no formal act of adoption by any persons in authority, but is to be inferred
from public user of the way in question. Even if an express intention to dedicate is proved, it is necessary to prove also that the way hasbeen in fact thrown open to the public and used by them. [para. 21] [45] In Town of Newcastle, Dickson J. stated the following: The principal issue here appears to be whether the disputed parcel was ever at any time incorporated in MacKenzie Street. A publichighway may be created either by statute or by dedication and acceptance. The intention of dedication may be a matter of inference,having regard to all the circumstances.
Acceptance by the public requires no formal act of adoption but may be inferred from public userof the way in question. The evidence from which courts are asked to infer both dedication and acceptance is, as a rule, open andunobstructed user by the public for a substantial time. See 19 Halsbury (3rd Ed.), pp. 43-4. An inference of dedication may be drawn inthe case of cul-de-sac, for a highway need not be a thoroughfare and in towns many squares, courts and passages with an entrance at oneend only are highways (ibid, p.89). [para. 19] [46] In O’Neil v. Harper, (ON CA), [1913] O.J.
No. 91 (C.A.) (QL), the Ontario Court of Appealstated the following regarding an owner’s intention to dedicate: As a rule, such intention is a matter to be inferred by the jury in the light of the surrounding circumstances: Rex v. Wright (1832), 3 B. &Ad. 681. Acceptance may be inferred from public user, and requires no formal act of adoption, even where the road becomes ipso factorepairable at the public expense: Rex v. Inhabitants of Leake (1833), 5 B. & Ad. 469; Roberts v. Hunt (1850), 15 Q.B. 17.
Open andunobstructed user by the public for a substantial time is, as a rule, the evidence from which a jury are asked to infer both dedication andacceptance: Halsbury’s Laws of England, vol. 16, sec. 43, p. 34. An intention to dedicate can only be inferred against a person who isabsolute owner in fee simple and sui juris: ib., sec. 44. In Regina v. Inhabitants of East Mark (1848), 11 Q.B. 877, at p. 882, Lord Denman, C.J., said: “If a road has been used by the publicbetween forty and fifty years without objection, am I not to use it, unless I knew who has been the owner of it?
The Crown certainly maydedicate a road to the public, and be bound by long acquiescence in public user. I think the public are not bound to inquire whether this orthat owner would be more likely to know his rights and to assert them; and that we have gone quite wrong in entering upon suchinquiries. Enjoyment for a great length of time ought to be sufficient evidence of dedication, unless the state of the property has beensuch as to make dedication impossible.” [paras. 61-62] [47] In Foothills (Municipal District) v. Stockwell, 1985 ABCA 229, [1985] A.J.
No. 752 (QL), the Courtconsidered a road which had been built in 1928. It confirmed that a road becomes public as a result of long-term public user: An actual intention to dedicate may be inferred from the circumstances and, in particular, from long uninterrupted public user.Acceptance by the public may be inferred from the same circumstance. See Williams and Wilson v. Toronto and A.-G. Ontario, (1946) (ON SC), 4 D.L.R. 278.
In modern terms, one could say that the issue is whether the owners before the respondents had acquiesced in the public’s assertion of aright of passage as a gift so that the respondents’ title was subject to the right thus acquired. [paras. 5-6] [48] In Foothills, the trial judge found that the road was not public, primarily on the ground that it was not heavilyused. The Alberta Court of Appeal reversed this, stating: With respect, this is an error in law.
The characterization of a use as “public” or not involves a question of law, and the learned trial judgehimself had found that those members of the public who had reason so to do had used the road as a public highway. This was so during50 years. Thus, as a matter of law, there had been long uninterrupted public user. The fact that the road was not heavily used does notdetract from the fact that its use was by the public at large. The only reasonable inference is that anybody who had a reason to go downthat road went down it because he thought himself entitled to do so.
There were no signs or gates or other assertions of privacy. […][para. 10]
[Emphasis in original.] [49] In Brady v. Zirnhelt, (BC CA), [1998] B.C.J. No. 2083 (C.A.) (QL), the Court considered aroad that had “been travelled without interference since at least the mid 1930s by anyone who wanted to use it. […] The issue is whethersuch use without interference by the registered owner constitutes acceptance by the public of a dedication by a previous owner” (para.45).
The Court concluded the road was public, stating, “[t]here is no evidence anyone treated Beck Road as private until the individualrespondents stopped members of the public from using it after they acquired title to Lots 8238 and 8239 in August 1993” (para. 49). [50] In Viceversa Developments Inc. v. Winnipeg (City), 2015 MBCA 38, [2015] M.J. No. 113 (QL), the originalowner of roadways had permitted use by the public for more than fifty years. The plaintiff purchased the land in 2004 and took theposition that the road was private.
The Court found the road to be public, upholding the trial judge’s statement that “the fact of longpublic user outweighs any other evidence which might cast ambiguity on that question” (para. 54). [51] Once a road is accepted as public, it maintains that status regardless of subsequent circumstances. As stated byGarnett J. in City of Fredericton v. Danielski, 2003 NBQB 143, 261 N.B.R. (2d) 392, “Once a highway always a highway” (para. 17). [52] At para. 56 of its written submission, the Province lists the principles that can be discerned from thejurisprudence.
I can do no better than to reproduce that list: • The onus is on the Respondents to prove on a balance of probabilities that the Road is subject to a public right-of-way. • A public right-of-way may be created by the doctrines of dedication and estoppel. • Both the intention to dedicate by the registered owner and the acceptance by the public must be proved to establish a dedication. • Dedication may be expressed or inferred, though it is usually inferred by public user. • Open and unobstructed user by the public for a substantial time is, as a rule, evidence from which both dedication and acceptancemay be inferred by public user […]. • The expenditure of public funds to maintain a highway is an inference of both dedication and acceptance. • The action of a person who lays out lots on his lands with streets to bound them and sells the lots according to such plan isevidence of an intention to dedicate the streets, and the owner is deemed in the absence of contrary evidence to have dedicated the streets(a form of estoppel). • A road need not be a thoroughfare to be subject to a public right-of-way, as an inference of dedication may be drawn in the case ofa cul-de-sac […]. • Where the public has enjoyed use without interference by the registered owner for great length of time, such as forty or fifty years,courts have found the road to be public […]. • The fact that a road was not heavily used does not detract from the fact that its use was by the public at large […]. • Once a highway, always a highway […].
• An established public right-of-way cannot be defeated by recent legal owners subsequently declaring it to be private […]. [ 53 ] Based on the above principles, the trial judge determined the Road was dedicated by the “action of the Stright family over a long number of years” and accepted by the public. As a result, the respondents met their onus of proving the Road was dedicated to the public and the appellants were estopped from claiming the Road is not a public right-of-way. In my view, based on the record that was before him, the trial judge did not err in his determination.
I would therefore dismiss this ground of appeal. C. Town of Newcastle v. Dutcher [ 54 ] The appellants contend the trial judge misinterpreted Town of Newcastle . It seems the trial judge understands the decision to be authority that the existence of a cul-de-sac creates the inference of the existence of a public-right-of-way. This is not correct. In my view, the case merely stands for the fact that culs-de-sac can be public roads or rights-of-way. It is not necessary for the property in question to be a thoroughfare.
Again, I will cite Dickson J.: The principal issue here appears to be whether the disputed parcel was ever at any time incorporated in MacKenzie Street. A public highway may be created either by statute or by dedication and acceptance. The intention of dedication may be a matter of inference, having regard to all the circumstances. Acceptance by the public requires no formal act of adoption but may be inferred from public user of the way in question. The evidence from which courts are asked to infer both dedication and acceptance is, as a rule, open and unobstructed user by the public for a substantial time.
See 19 Halsbury (3rd Ed.), pp. 43-4. An inference of dedication may be drawn in the case of cul-de-sac, for a highway need not be a thoroughfare and in towns many squares, courts and passages with an entrance at one end only are highways (ibid, p.89). [para. 19] [ 55 ] Although it appears the trial judge misconstrued the effect of Town of Newcastle , it does not affect his decision that there was dedication. D.
Timing of determination and use of legislation [ 56 ] Since the Province met the onus of proving that a public right-of-way existed by dedication and long public user , there is no need to address the ground of appeal regarding the designated public mapping and which legislation, if any, should apply. VIII. Disposition [ 57 ] I would dismiss the appeal with two sets of costs in the amount of $ 2,500 each. One set of costs is payable by the appellants to the Province of New Brunswick. The second set of costs is payable by the appellants to Strang’s Shore Seasonal Camping Inc.
As the individual respondents were not represented, I would not award costs to them. Furthermore, as the unrepresented respondents did not request provable disbursements, none are awarded. Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par LA JUGE QUIGG I. Introduction [1] La principale question soulevée dans le présent appel est de savoir si le juge du procès a fait
erreur en jugeant que le chemin Stright Beach, sis à Murray Corner, dans le comté de Westmorland, [TRADUCTION] « a été affect[é] par les actes de la famille Stright » et est donc une voie publique ou un droit de passage public. II. Faits [2] Le chemin Stright Beach (le chemin) a une longueur d’environ 483 mètres, allant vers le nord à partir de la route provinciale 955 jusqu’au détroit de Northumberland à Murray Corner. Les appelants, Marjorie Joy Banks, William Shane Banks, Wendy Diane Malone, Daniel Kenneth Malone, Brent Conrad, Sandra Conrad et Dale T.
Briggs, sont les propriétaires en fief simple, comme tenants communs, du chemin sis dans le lotissement Edith Stright. [3] Les appelants sont devenus propriétaires du chemin le 3 janvier 2013. Leur certificat de propriété enregistrée indique que le
titre du chemin est assujetti à des réserves dérogatoires précisées au par. 17(4) de la
Loi sur l’enregistrement foncier , L.N.-B. 1981, ch. L-1.1. L’ alinéa 17(4)
f) prévoit que font
partie de ces réserves dérogatoires « toute voie publique ou tout autre droit de passage public grevant le bien-fonds, quel que soit son mode de constitution ». [4] L’intimée Sa Majesté la Reine du chef de la Province du Nouveau-Brunswick, représentée par le ministre des Transports et de l’Infrastructure (la Province), est l’organisme public responsable de la désignation et de l’administration des chemins publics et des emprises dans la province. L’intimée Strang’s Shore Seasonal Camping Inc. est la propriétaire d’un terrain adjacent au chemin.
Le plan de lotissement qui a créé le lot de Strang’s Shore Seasonal Camping Inc. indique que le chemin est public. [5] Les intimés Eleanor Beth Beal, Raymond Beal, Betty Stright, Gordon Stright, Larry Stright et David Stright sont propriétaires de terrains sis dans le même lotissement que les appelants. Ils sont tous également descendants ou conjoints de descendants du défunt Gordon Stright, qui est décédé en 1959. [6] La Province reconnaît que les appelants sont propriétaires en fief simple du chemin, mais elle soutient qu’il est assujetti à un droit de passage public, et ce, depuis au moins 1964.
Les autres intimés ont adopté la position de la Province pendant l’audition de l’appel. [7] De 1925 à 1959, Gordon Stright a été le propriétaire en common law du terrain sur lequel se trouve le chemin. Selon les cartes des concessions de la Couronne dressées par le ministère des Ressources naturelles du Nouveau- Brunswick, le chemin figurait sur les cartes au début des années 1940.
L’emplacement du chemin est visible sur des photos aériennes qui remontent aussi loin que 1944. [8] En 1959, Edith Stright, l’épouse de Gordon Stright, est devenue la propriétaire en common law du terrain sur lequel se trouve le chemin. Aucune preuve n’indique qu’elle aurait limité ou contrôlé l’utilisation du chemin à aucun moment. [9] La Province établit les catégories de chemins conformément à la
Loi sur la voirie , L.R.N.- B. 1973, ch. H-5, et à l’ancienne Highway Act , S.N.B. 1963 (2 e session), ch. 6. Depuis 1964, la Province cartographie les chemins du Nouveau-Brunswick et compile les cartes dans un recueil des routes désignées. Les cartes incluent le classement des chemins. En 1964, le chemin a été cartographié et classé comme chemin public non désigné, c’est-à-dire un chemin public qui n’est pas entretenu par la Province. [10] En 1974, Edith Stright a fait un premier lotissement de son terrain.
Le plan de lotissement enregistré a créé six nouvelles parcelles donnant sur un cul-de-sac à l’extrémité nord du chemin. Le plan indiquait aussi que le chemin était une [TRADUCTION] « rue privée ». [11] En 1978, un deuxième lotissement du terrain de Stright a été effectué. Un plan de lotissement enregistré a créé cinq nouvelles parcelles et un nouveau cul-de-sac à partir du côté ouest du chemin. Le chemin a de nouveau été désigné comme [TRADUCTION] « rue privée ».
[12] En 1983, un troisième lotissement du terrain d’Edith Stright a été effectué, et c’est alors qu’un lot additionnel bordant le côté ouest du chemin a été créé. Le plan de lotissement enregistré, signé par Edith Stright en tant que propriétaire, décrit le chemin comme un [TRADUCTION] « accès ». En signant ce plan, Edith Stright a cessé de décrire le chemin comme étant privé.
Le plan a été approuvé par un agent d’aménagement de la Province le 17 février 1983 et a été enregistré au bureau de l’enregistrement le 21 février 1983. [13] En 1988, la propriété en fief simple du chemin a été transférée de la succession d’Edith Stright à son petit-fils David Stright et à celle qui était alors son épouse, Sandra Stright. David Stright a été propriétaire du chemin jusqu’en 2003, date où il a transféré son intérêt à Sandra Stright. [14] En octobre 2003, Sandra Stright a loti le terrain pour créer deux nouvelles parcelles du côté ouest du chemin.
L’une des parcelles devait être acquise par l’appelant William Shane Banks. Le chemin était décrit sur le plan de lotissement comme étant [TRADUCTION] « PUBLIC NON DÉSIGNÉ ». Sandra Stright et M.
Banks ont tous deux signé le plan sous la déclaration suivante : [TRADUCTION] NOUS, LES SOUSSIGNÉS, RECONNAISSONS QUE NOUS SOMMES LES PROPRIÉTAIRES ENREGISTRÉS DU TERRAIN LOTI PAR LES PRÉSENTES, ET NOUS ACCORDONS NOTRE APPROBATION AU PRÉSENT PLAN. [Majuscules dans l’original.] L’enregistrement du plan a été approuvé par la Commission d’urbanisme de Tantramar le 23 octobre 2003 et le plan a été enregistré au bureau de l’enregistrement du comté de Westmorland le 28 octobre 2003. III.
Chronologie des procédures [15] Le 10 février 2014, les appelants ont déposé un avis de requête à la Cour du Banc de la Reine du Nouveau-Brunswick dans lequel la Province était nommément désignée intimée.
Ils sollicitaient une ordonnance déclarant, entre autres, que le chemin est un chemin d’accès privé. [16] Le 1 er avril 2014, un juge de la Cour du Banc de la Reine a ordonné aux appelants de signifier leur avis de requête aux autres propriétaires dont les biens longeaient le chemin. [17] En réponse à la signification de la requête des appelants, les intimés Beth Beal, Raymond Beal, Betty Stright, Gordon Stright, Larry Stright et David Stright ont déposé un exposé de demande contraire pour s’opposer à la requête.
Linda Strang a déposé un affidavit contestant la requête. [18] Le 14 juillet 2014, le juge a ordonné, entre autres, que l’affaire soit conduite comme une action en vertu de la règle 38.09b) des Règles de procédure . [19] L’instruction de la présente affaire a eu lieu à Moncton du 20 au 26 novembre 2018. [20] Le 3 janvier 2019, un juge de la Cour du Banc de la Reine a rendu une décision portant que le chemin [TRADUCTION] « a été affect[é] par les actes de la famille Stright sur un grand nombre d’années » et est donc une route non entretenue (c’est-à-dire un chemin public). IV.
Moyens d’appel [21] Les questions en litige découlant des moyens d’appel des appelants peuvent se résumer ainsi :
a) Existe-t-il un moyen hybride de créer un droit de passage public au Nouveau-Brunswick qui permet à la Province de faire unedésignation en vertu de l’al. 15(1)
b) de la
Loi sur la voirie, L.R.N.-B. 1973, ch. H-5, et d’inscrire le droit de passage dans le recueil desplans des routes désignées sans avoir d’abord acquis ces droits par achat, par expropriation, par dévolution sur enregistrement d’un planconformément à la
Loi sur l’urbanisme, L.N.-B. 2017, ch. 19, ou par affectation et longue utilisation par le public?
b) Quand la détermination du droit de passage public devrait-elle être faite? En 1964, lorsque la Province a inscrit pour la premièrefois le chemin Stright Beach (aussi appelé chemin Cape Bruin) dans les cartes des routes désignées, ou à une date plus tardive après lacréation du lotissement? Pour faire cette détermination, quelle loi, le cas échéant, devrait s’appliquer : la
Loi sur la voirie, L.R.N.-B. 1973, ch. H-5, ou la Highway Act, S.N.B. 1963, ch. 6, qui était en vigueur en 1964?
c) La Province s’est-elle acquittée de la charge de prouver qu’un droit de passage public a existé sur les terrains des appelants du faitd’une affectation et d’une longue utilisation par le public avant 1964, lorsque le chemin Stright Beach a été désigné comme route nonentretenue et a été inscrit sur les cartes des routes désignées? Si non, est-il loisible à la Province de tenter de prouver l’affectation et lalongue utilisation par le public après l’inscription du chemin dans les cartes des routes désignées?
d) Le juge du procès a-t-il appliqué correctement le raisonnement employé dans la décision Town of Newcastle c. Dutcher (1976), (NB KB), 14 R.N.-B. (2e) 510, [1976] A.N.-B. no 128 (C.B.R.) (QL), en déclarant que l’existence d’un cul-de-sac lelong d’un droit de passage donne lieu d’inférer qu’il est public? V. Norme de contrôle [22] Le juge du procès a conclu que les faits entourant l’histoire du chemin établissent qu’il estpublic, d’après la doctrine de common law de l’affectation. La norme de contrôle applicable aux pures questions de droit est celle de ladécision correcte.
Les questions de fait exigent la déférence, tout comme les questions mixtes de droit et de fait, tant qu’il n’y a pas dequestion de droit isolable, auquel cas la norme est celle de la décision correcte. VI. Preuve [23] De 2003 à 2014, Sandra Stright et d’autres personnes étaient propriétaires en fief simple duchemin. Bien que ces propriétaires, à l’exception de William Shane Banks, n’aient pas témoigné, aucune preuve n’indique que certainsd’entre eux, à certains moments, aient tenu le chemin pour privé ou aient pris des mesures pour en limiter ou en contrôler l’utilisation.
Ledossier indique que l’utilisation publique du chemin n’a pas été restreinte depuis sa construction, vers 1940, jusqu’en 2013 environ. [24] Betty Banks a témoigné pour le compte des appelants et a confirmé que, malgré la circulationfréquente sur le chemin, les propriétaires du chemin n’y ont jamais refusé l’accès au grand public.
En particulier, son témoignage a inclusce qui suit : • Elle est la fille d’Edith et de Gordon Stright, et elle est née en 1934 à Murray Corner. • Elle a construit un chalet le long du chemin en 1972 ou en 1973, et elle en a fait sa résidence permanente en 1993 (lot 4). • Elle n’a aucun souvenir de ce que ses parents ou leurs successeurs en
titre aient jamais refusé l’accès au chemin à quiconque. • La circulation sur le chemin a augmenté après que le terrain a été loti pour être aménagé. • En 2014, elle est devenue nerveuse d’habiter sur le chemin, car il y avait plus de circulation, y compris des gens qu’elle neconnaissait pas.
[25] L’appelant William Shane Banks a témoigné de ce qui suit : • Il est le petit-fils d’Edith Stright. • À sa connaissance, la famille de Gordon Stright (qui a été collectivement propriétaire en fief simple du chemin jusqu’en 2003) n’a jamais refusé à quiconque l’accès au chemin. • Il habite un lot longeant le chemin depuis 1985. • Son premier souvenir du chemin remonte à la fin des années 1960. • Un ponceau a été installé à un creux du chemin, puis l’endroit a été rempli de schiste. • Le chemin a été amélioré au fil des années.
Les propriétaires des chalets ont cotisé pour payer un voisin, Terry Wood, afin qu’il fasse des travaux sur le chemin. • Le chemin était utilisé par des livreurs de pizza, et occasionnellement aussi par des gens qui conduisaient sur le chemin puis faisaient demi-tour (adeptes du demi-tour). • Pendant l’été, quand il y avait plus de gens dans la région, plus de gens empruntaient le chemin.
À l’automne, c’était surtout la famille immédiate. • Une légère augmentation du nombre de voitures inconnues a été remarquée lorsque la signalisation au niveau de la route principale a changé. • Plus de caravanes-remorques ont commencé à emprunter le chemin lorsque Strang’s Shore Seasonal Camping Inc. s’est installée juste à côté. • Les seuls exemples de refus d’accès qu’il ait mentionnés remontent aux années 1980, 1990 et 2000, lorsque l’appelant Daniel Kenneth Malone ou lui-même en ont empêché l’accès parce que le chemin était mouillé ou ont installé un dos d’âne pour ralentir les véhicules. • Toutefois, ni M.
Banks ni M. Malone n’a eu un intérêt propriétal sur le chemin avant 2014. • De plus, lorsque M. Banks a installé un dos d’âne sur le chemin, David Stright, qui était le propriétaire en common law du chemin, s’y est opposé, et le dos d’âne a été enlevé. [26] Dans son témoignage, l’intimé David Stright a affirmé ce qui suit : • Il est né en 1958 et a connu le chemin toute sa vie, et davantage encore depuis que des lots pour chalets ont été aménagés vers 1974.
• Ses premiers souvenirs du chemin remontent à l’âge de 8 ou 10 ans. • Depuis qu’il y a des chalets à cet endroit, [TRADUCTION] « le chemin est emprunté par tout un chacun ». • En 1988, il a acheté la maison dont sa grand-mère Edith Stright avait été propriétaire, ainsi que le chemin. • Il avait compris que l’achat du terrain incluait aussi le chemin, qu’il croyait être un [TRADUCTION] « droit de passage public ». • Pendant qu’Edith Stright était propriétaire du terrain, il n’a jamais entendu aucun désaccord sur l’utilisation du chemin par qui que ce soit, et pendant que Sandra Stright et lui en étaient propriétaires, ils n’ont jamais dissuadé qui que ce soit de l’utiliser. • L’utilisation commerciale du chemin incluait son utilisation régulière par des livreurs de pizzas « U-Bake » et des marchands de poisson itinérants, ainsi que la vente de bois pour des feux de camp, qui était annoncée sur la route principale. • Depuis qu’il a transféré son intérêt sur le chemin à Sandra Stright en 2003, il est copropriétaire du lot 3 dans le lotissement. [27] D’autres intimés ont indiqué dans leurs témoignages que le chemin est utilisé depuis longtemps par le grand public.
Raymond Beal et Beth Beal sont propriétaires d’un chalet aux couleurs vives à l’extrémité nord du lotissement.
Raymond Beal a témoigné : • Quoique bien des gens empruntent le chemin, font demi-tour et s’en retournent, pendant un été typique, environ six personnes s’arrêtent pour regarder son chalet. • Pendant une journée d’été en 2018, il a compté 17 voitures sur le chemin, et la plupart lui étaient inconnues. • Les activités commerciales sur le chemin ont inclus la vente de bois pour feux de camp, une entreprise de couture et une entreprise de fabrication de meubles. • Il a donné des cours sur la sécurité des chasseurs pendant l’été sur son lot, à des groupes de 12 à 15 enfants. [28] L’intimée Beth Beal a présenté un témoignage dans lequel elle a dit ce qui suit, notamment : • Elle est la petite-fille d’Edith Stright et la sœur de David Stright. • Son plus ancien souvenir de circuler sur le chemin dans un véhicule remonte à 1965 environ, lorsque, âgée d’environ 13 ans, elle y a été conduite dans un véhicule. • Elle a commencé à circuler plus souvent sur le chemin vers 1975 ou 1976, lorsque ses parents ont installé une caravane sur un lot dans le lotissement, et elle y était [TRADUCTION] « pas mal… toutes les fins de semaine » pendant les mois d’été. • Au début des années 1980, des voitures roulaient sur le chemin, et des voitures inconnues circulaient sur le chemin et faisaient demi-tour si souvent qu’on a fini par les appeler les [TRADUCTION] « adeptes du demi-tour ».
• Les occupants des voitures qui empruntaient le chemin regardaient et photographiaient le pont de la Confédération ou prenaient des photos du chalet aux couleurs vives, et à l’époque, elle [TRADUCTION] « n’a jamais entendu dire une seule fois pendant toutes ces années que quelqu’un s’y opposait ». • Lorsqu’elle était à son chalet, elle a rencontré sur le chemin des gens des Philippines, de l’Australie, de l’Angleterre, des États- Unis et de diverses provinces du Canada. • Elle estime que, pendant l’été 2018, il y a eu 6 à 8 voitures par jour (qui n’allaient pas à des chalets). [29] L’intimée Betty Stright a dit ce qui suit, notamment, dans son témoignage : • Son premier souvenir du chemin remonte à sa présence à un dîner de Noël à l’invitation du fils d’Edith Stright, Raymond Stright, qu’elle a marié en 1947. • Elle se souvient avoir circulé sur le chemin pour aller faire du camping dans les années 1960. • Raymond Stright est devenu propriétaire d’un lot dans le lotissement en 1974. • Pendant les années 1970, Raymond Stright a remorqué une caravane classique sur le chemin pour l’installer sur le lot et l’utiliser du printemps à l’automne. • Elle ne s’est jamais demandé si le chemin était privé ou public; elle a simplement pensé que c’était le chemin qui menait au rivage. [30] La Province n’a présenté aucune preuve d’utilisation publique du chemin avant 1964, année où elle l’a inscrit sur les cartes des routes désignées.
Le seul témoin appelé par la Province a été M. Norman Côté, directeur adjoint de la Direction des services immobiliers, Gestion des emprises routières, pour la Province du Nouveau-Brunswick. Dans son témoignage, il a affirmé qu’il n’avait pas de preuve directe d’utilisation publique avant que la Province l’indique sur les cartes des routes désignées. Il a témoigné que la Province avait extrait du schiste du terrain appartenant à Gordon Stright au
titre d’un bail qui prévoyait un droit de passage menant du chemin principal jusqu’au gisement de schiste. Ce droit de passage est inclus dans le chemin. [31] La Province affirme qu’elle a dépensé des deniers publics sur le chemin en le nivelant à au moins deux occasions. Cela a eu lieu après qu’elle a désigné le chemin comme droit de passage public. Le nivellement a été fait, semble- t-il, vers la fin des années 1990, et c’est la seule dépense de deniers publics qui a été faite pendant les 55 ans écoulés depuis que le chemin a été inscrit sur les cartes des routes désignées. En contre-interrogatoire, M.
Côté a admis que le nivellement aurait probablement coûté à la Province moins de 1 000 $ au total. La Province n’a fait aucune dépense pour le déneigement du chemin, soit avant, soit après qu’il a été inscrit sur les cartes des routes désignées. Tout le déneigement a été effectué sous contrat et payé par les résidents à plein temps du lotissement. [32] En 2012, l’intimée Strang’s Shore Seasonal Camping Inc. a acheté une parcelle de terrain adjacente au chemin du côté est. L’achat, au prix de 210 000 $, avait pour but d’agrandir son terrain de camping commercial.
Selon le témoignage de la présidente de la société, Linda Strang, l’arpentage et les recherches juridiques ont permis de conclure que le chemin était une voie d’accès publique. La voie d’accès publique était importante pour la société, afin d’éviter que le terrain ne soit enclavé, qu’il soit utilisé pour l’exploitation du terrain de camping ou en vue de l’aménagement futur de lots pour chalets. [33] La parcelle achetée par Strang’s Shore Seasonal Camping Inc. a été créée en 2012 par un lotissement qui désigne la nouvelle parcelle comme étant le lot 12-2.
Le plan de lotissement, dressé par l’arpenteur-géomètre immatriculé Michael Gould, désigne le chemin comme un chemin public. L’enregistrement du plan a été approuvé par la Commission d’urbanisme de Tantramar le 23 juillet 2012 et le plan a été enregistré au bureau de l’enregistrement du comté de Westmorland le 27 août 2012.
Strang’s Shore Seasonal Camping Inc. a fait valoir qu’il y avait eu affectation et acceptation. Des éléments de preuve ont été présentés pour montrer que l’utilisation du chemin par le public avait été libre et sans obstacle pendant un temps considérable. Strang’s Shore Seasonal Camping Inc. a soutenu qu’il y avait des preuves suffisantes pour conclure qu’il y a eu affectation longtemps avant que le chemin soit transporté aux appelants. VII.
Analyse [34] Comme le juge du procès le fait remarquer dans sa décision, [TRADUCTION] « [l]a majorité de la preuve qui a été présentée à la Cour n’est pas contestée » (par. 37). Il a ensuite tiré des conclusions de fait : [TRADUCTION] Je crois qu’il serait utile de passer en revue et de confirmer certaines conclusions de fait : 1. L’emplacement de la chaussée en question n’a pas été situé de façon précise, mais il se trouve grosso modo à l’endroit où le chemin menant aux carrières de gravier et de schiste avait été établi.
La chaussée est indiquée comme [TRADUCTION] « rue privée » sur le plan 9248 (annexe « A ») qui a été enregistré au bureau de l’enregistrement le 19 septembre 1974. D’autres plans montrent un emplacement légèrement différent. 2. La chaussée a d’abord été établie au moyen d’une location à bail permettant d’accéder aux gravières pour en extraire le gravier destiné à la route 955. Le bail daté du 31 juillet 1940 était quelque peu ouvert en ce sens que la Couronne jouissait d’un accès jusqu’à épuisement du gravier. Le bail n’a pas été renouvelé et les gravières ne sont plus utilisées depuis de nombreuses années. 3.
Comme on peut le voir en
annexe aux présents motifs, la chaussée a été qualifiée de [TRADUCTION] « privée » au début de son existence avant de devenir un chemin public non désigné en 1964. Cependant, jusqu’à la fin des années 1990, le chemin en question portait un nom, lequel nom se trouvait sur un [TRADUCTION] « panneau bleu » qui indique un chemin privé. Ce panneau a été remplacé par une [TRADUCTION] « plaque de rue verte » et un panneau d’arrêt a été placé à l’intersection avec la route 955. Une plaque de rue verte indique un chemin public. 4. Pendant toute l’histoire du chemin, il a été utilisé par le public, en plus des résidents.
Beaucoup de gens venaient dans le secteur situé à proximité des carrières pour prendre des photos du pont de la Confédération. Certains des résidents qualifiaient ces gens d’[TRADUCTION] « adeptes du demi-tour » parce qu’ils descendaient le chemin pour prendre des photos et admirer le chalet aux couleurs pittoresques situé en bordure avant de [TRADUCTION] « faire demi-tour » et de quitter les lieux. Parfois, ils s’arrêtaient pour rendre visite au propriétaire de ce chalet. […] 5. La plupart des témoins ont admis que les autres chaussées des environs étaient plus fréquentées que le chemin en cause.
Une de ces chaussées menait à un quai et elles sont toutes des chemins privés et non des chaussées publiques non désignées, comme c’est le cas du chemin qui fait l’objet de la poursuite. 6. La Province a dépensé une petite somme d’argent dont le montant est inconnu pour niveler le chemin à deux reprises. Certains des résidents ont aussi fait faire des travaux sur la chaussée en utilisant de l’équipement et des matériaux fournis par un résident. Je crois qu’il est incontesté que le coût des travaux effectués par certains des résidents serait très supérieur aux frais engagés par la Province. 7.
La preuve a établi que la Province du Nouveau-Brunswick, par l’entremise du ministre de la Voirie, a désigné la chaussée en question comme chemin public non désigné. La preuve a également établi qu’avant cette désignation en 1964, la chaussée était qualifiée de privée sur un plan de lotissement. 8. Il n’existe aucune preuve que la Province, qu’elle ait procédé par expropriation ou autrement, ait payé la chaussée aux propriétaires. [par. 38]
A. Méthode hybride de création d’un droit de passage public [35] Les appelants soutiennent que le juge du procès a commis une erreur en affirmant qu’il existe un moyen hybride de créer un droit de passage public. Ils disent que, selon l’explication du juge du procès, cela se produit lorsque la Province fait une désignation en vertu de l’ al. 15(1)
b) de la
Loi sur la voirie et inscrit le droit de passage dans le recueil des plans des routes désignées sans avoir d’abord acquis ces droits par achat, par expropriation, par enregistrement d’un plan conformément à la Loi sur l’urbanisme ou par affectation et longue utilisation publique. Le terme « utilisation publique » est défini dans Words and Phrases , éd. permanente, vol. 35A (St. Paul, Minn. : West Publishing Co., 1963) : [TRADUCTION] UTILISATION PUBLIQUE Une « utilisation publique » d’un terrain affecté à une rue est une utilisation par le public du voisinage. Voir Board of Com’rs of Town of Keyport c.
Freehold & A. H. R. Co. , 65 A. 1035, 1036, 74 N.J.L. 480, citant Wood c. Hurd , 34 N.J.L. 87, 91. [36] Les appelants prétendent que si nous décidons qu’il n’existe pas de méthode hybride de création de droits de passage publics, alors la décision quant à savoir si le chemin est devenu un droit de passage public doit être tranchée selon la doctrine de l’affectation et de la longue utilisation publique.
La Province a admis qu’elle ne peut aucunement prétendre au fief simple du chemin et sa demande repose uniquement sur la doctrine de l’affectation et la longue utilisation publique. [37] Dans sa décision, le juge du procès a affirmé que l’ouvrage Anger and Honsberger Law of Real Property , 2 e éd., vol. 2 (Aurora, Ontario : Canada Law Book Inc., 1985), décrit quatre méthodes d’acquisition de droits de passage publics ou de chemins publics par la Province.
Il ajoute ensuite qu’[TRADUCTION] « il semble exister un mode d’acquisition hybride qui pourrait fonctionner », soit lorsque la Province désigne un chemin comme public dans ses recueils de cartes, créant ainsi un chemin public (par. 40 et 44).
Bien que les appelants affirment que le juge a déterminé le statut du chemin sur ce fondement, un examen de la décision montre clairement que c’était une remarque incidente et que ce n’était pas la conclusion finale tirée par le juge pour décider que le chemin était un droit de passage. [38] Le juge du procès mentionne la méthode hybride quand il la met en question au par. 60 de la décision. Il dit : [TRADUCTION] « Bien que je puisse éprouver un doute sur la façon dont la chaussée a pu devenir une route ou un droit de passage public par le simple dépôt d’un plan en 1964 […] »
Le juge du procès n’a pas rendu une décision explicite sur cette question et ne l’a pas appliquée pour déterminer si le chemin était un droit de passage public. La décision finale était fondée sur la doctrine de common law de l’affectation. En conséquence, même si le juge du procès a commis une erreur en mentionnant une méthode hybride, cette erreur ne l’emporte pas sur la conclusion de fait en faveur de l’affectation. Ce point ne semble pas avoir été un facteur important de sa décision.
La question soulevée par les appelants au sujet de la méthode hybride est essentiellement une objection à la remarque incidente faite dans la décision. Même si le juge eu tort dans sa déclaration incidente, ce n’est pas pour ce motif qu’il a rejeté l’action. Le juge du procès a rejeté l’action en raison de sa conclusion selon laquelle [TRADUCTION] « la chaussée a été affectée par les actes de la famille Stright sur un grand nombre d’années » (par. 61). Je suis d’avis de rejeter ce moyen d’appel. B.
Affectation en common law [39] Voici un extrait de l’ouvrage Anger and Honsberger : [TRADUCTION] 2008.2 Création d’une route Il est possible de créer des routes par affectation, par autorité publique ou par préclusion.
a) Affectation en général Un propriétaire foncier peut établir une route publique sur son bien-fonds en l’affectant à cet usage et en obtenant du public qu’il accepte de l’emprunter comme telle. C’est ce que l’on appelle une affectation en common law. Il faut prouver à la fois l’intention d’affecter le
bien-fonds et l’acceptation du public pour établir une affectation. Aucun acte formel d’adoption n’est nécessaire pour indiquerl’affectation. Elle est habituellement inférée par l’usage public de la route. La question de savoir s’il y a bel et bien eu affectation et acceptation est une question de fait. La preuve de l’utilisation d’un chemin parle public est simplement une preuve qui permet d’inférer l’intention du propriétaire enregistré d’affecter le chemin à la municipalité.
Dans les régions rurales, cette intention ne devrait pas être inférée trop rapidement, car il est courant que les résidents permettentl’utilisation de leurs chemins privés dans un esprit de bon voisinage. C’est tout particulièrement le cas dans des régions qui en sont auxpremiers stades de leur développement. En règle générale, un usage ouvert et sans entrave par le public sur une longue période constitueune preuve qui permet d’inférer tant l’affectation que l’acceptation.
Toutefois, l’usage n’est que l’élément de preuve qui établitl’affectation; en effet, ce n’est pas l’usage, mais bien l’affectation qui crée une route étant donné qu’une route publique ne peut être crééepar prescription. Le fait de consacrer des fonds publics à l’entretien d’une route permet aussi d’inférer l’affectation et l’acceptation. En cas d’absence depreuve directe de l’intention d’un propriétaire, il est possible d’inférer un animus dedicandi du fait qu’une route a été entretenue etréparée par l’autorité compétente ou d’un usage public ininterrompu.
Cependant, s’il n’existe aucune preuve de l’un ou l’autre de cesfaits, l’existence d’une telle intention ne peut être présumée. […]
d) Création par préclusion En règle générale, une route ne peut être établie par prescription acquisitive étant donné que cela est fondé sur la présomption d’uneconcession perdue et qu’il est impossible d’avoir une concession en faveur d’un groupe aussi important et indéfini que le public. Toutefois, à
titre de solution de rechange, lorsqu’il y a eu un long usage public, et s’il n’existe aucune preuve que cet usage était autoriséou constituait une faveur ou une affectation, un tribunal peut alors présumer qu’il y a eu une affectation qui empêche le propriétairefoncier de refuser cette affectation aux membres du public.
L’action d’une personne qui lotit ses terres en prévoyant le tracé des rues pour délimiter les lots et qui les vend par la suite conformémentau plan de lotissement constitue la preuve d’une intention d’affecter les rues, et en l’absence d’une preuve contraire, le propriétaire estréputé avoir affecté les rues. Il s’agit d’une forme de préclusion.
De la même façon, lorsqu’un propriétaire foncier vend des lots bordant une rue, même lorsque le public n’a pas accepté l’affectation, ilest préclus de priver les acheteurs de leur droit d’utiliser la rue comme telle. [p. 1001 à 1003] [40] Les appelants soutiennent que le concept d’affectation au public en common law a été examinéà fond par les tribunaux de notre province et que la jurisprudence a constamment affirmé que le fardeau de prouver qu’un chemin estpublic incombe à l’autorité publique qui affirme qu’il est public. Le fardeau est lourd.
Afin d’établir qu’un chemin a été affecté, laProvince doit d’abord établir qu’il y avait intention d’affecter le chemin. La Province en convient et affirme que, bien que l’inscriptiondu chemin dans les cartes en 1964 soit un facteur pertinent, d’autres éléments de preuve relatifs à l’utilisation et au traitement du cheminavant et après cette date sont également importants. En conséquence, la Province fait valoir qu’il n’est pas nécessaire d’indiquer unmoment précis pour décider si le chemin est un chemin public.
La Province dit qu’il y a eu affectation expresse du chemin enoctobre 2003, lorsque la propriétaire enregistrée du chemin a signé et enregistré un plan de lotissement qui décrivait le chemin commeétant public. De ce fait, selon la Province, un droit de passage public a été créé à ce moment, s’il n’existait pas déjà. [41] Les appelants prétendent qu’il ne devrait pas être permis à la Province de s’appuyer sur unepreuve a posteriori après le fait. Cela rendrait inadmissible la preuve sur le statut subséquent du chemin pendant 54 ans.
La Province ditque cet argument n’est appuyé par aucun texte faisant autorité et est sans fondement. Elle reconnaît qu’il lui incombe de prouver selon laprépondérance des probabilités qu’il existe un droit de passage public (voir F.H. c. McDougall, 2008 CSC 53, [2008] 3 R.C.S. 41, au par. 40, et McCann and McCann c. Dugas and Greenwood (1979), (NB KB), 27 R.N.-B. (2e) 361, [1979] A.N.-B. no 232 (C.B.R.) (QL)). [42] Comme il est expliqué dans Anger and Honsberger, des chemins peuvent être assujettis à desdroits de passage publics dans diverses situations. Une manière qui y est indiquée est l’autorité publique.
Cela inclut le lotissement deterrains et l’expropriation, qui sont définis au Nouveau-Brunswick dans l’ancienne
Loi sur l’urbanisme, L.R.N.-B. 1973, ch. C-12, et
dans la
Loi sur l’expropriation, L.R.N.-B. 1973, ch. E-14. Aucune de ces lois ne s’applique à la présente situation. L’ouvrage Anger andHonsberger mentionne également l’affectation et la préclusion. [43] Notre Cour a confirmé l’application de la doctrine de l’affectation dans l’arrêt Attorney-General of New Brunswick ex rel. University of New Brunswick c. City of Fredericton, [1967] A.N.-B. no 9 (C.A.) (QL). La Cour a souscrit auxobservations suivantes du juge Duff (tel était alors son titre) dans l’arrêt Bailey c.
City of Victoria (1920), (SCC), 60 R.C.S. 38, [1920] A.C.S. no 2 (QL) : [TRADUCTION][…] deux conditions concomitantes doivent être remplies; premièrement, le propriétaire foncier doit effectivement avoir l’intention deprocéder à l’affectation (Folkstone c. Brockman, [1914] A.C. 338) et deuxièmement, il doit sembler qu’il a été donné suite à cetteintention par le fait que la voie a été ouverte au public et acceptée par lui […]. [par. 41] [44] Dans la décision Lyons et al. c.
Jordan et al. (1997), (NB KB), 187 R.N.-B. (2e) 391, [1997] A.N.-B. no 180 (C.B.R.) (QL), le juge Russell a cité Halsbury’s Laws of England, 3e éd., vol. 19 : [TRADUCTION]61. Intention de constituer. La constitution d’une voie publique présuppose nécessairement une intention de constituer; il doit y avoir unanimus dedicandi.
L’intention peut être exprimée clairement, verbalement ou par écrit, mais, de façon générale, c’est une questiond’inférence; il appartient au tribunal ou au jury de dire si l’intention doit être inférée de la preuve qui porte sur les actes et lecomportement du propriétaire, lorsque considérés à la lumière de toutes les circonstances de l’affaire. 62. Acceptation par le public. L’acceptation par le public n’exige pas d’acte formel ou son adoption par des personnes responsables, maiss’infère de l’usage par le public de la voie en question.
Même si l’intention explicite de constituer une voie publique est établie, il fautégalement prouver que celle-ci a été en fait ouverte au public et utilisée par lui. [par. 21] [45] Dans la décision Town of Newcastle, le juge Dickson a affirmé ce qui suit : [TRADUCTION]La principale question en l’espèce semble être de déterminer si la parcelle contestée a été incorporée à un moment quelconque à larue MacKenzie. Une route publique peut être créée soit par une loi, soit par affectation et acceptation. L’intention de l’affecter peut êtreune question d’inférence, compte tenu de l’ensemble des circonstances.
L’acceptation par le public ne nécessite aucun acte d’adoptionformel, mais peut être inférée de l’usage de la voie en cause par le public. La preuve à partir de laquelle il est demandé aux tribunauxd’inférer à la fois l’affectation et l’acceptation est en général un usage ouvert et sans entrave par le public pendant une longue période. Voir 19 Halsbury (3e éd.), p. 43 et 44. Il est possible de tirer une inférence d’affectation dans le cas des culs-de-sac, car une route n’estpas nécessairement une voie de communication ouverte aux deux extrémités et il arrive souvent dans les villes que de nombr