2021 NBCA 43, 2021 NBCA 43
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK S.B. APPELLANT 95-20-CA S.B. APPELANT - and - - et - MINISTER OF SOCIAL DEVELOPMENT RESPONDENT - and - J.B. and S.B.B. RESPONDENTS MINISTRE DU DÉVELOPPEMENT SOCIAL INTIMÉ - et - J.B. et S.B.B. INTIMÉS S.B. v. Minister of Social Development et al., 2021NBCA 43 S.B. c.
Ministre du Développement social et autres,2021 NBCA 43 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Green The Honourable Justice Baird The Honourable Justice French CORAM : l’honorable juge Green l’honorable juge Baird l’honorable juge French Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’sBench: November 20, 2020 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de laReine : le 20 novembre 2020 History of case: Decision under appeal: 2020 NBQB 226 Preliminary or incidental proceedings: None Historique de la cause : Décision frappée d’appel : 2020 NBQB 226 , 2020 NBBR 226 Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : aucune
Appeal heard: September 17, 2021 Judgment rendered: September 23, 2021 Reasons delivered: January 27, 2022 Reasons for judgment: The Honourable Justice French Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Green The Honourable Justice Baird Appel entendu : le 17 septembre 2021 Jugement rendu : le 23 septembre 2021 Motifs déposés : le 27 janvier 2022 Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge French Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Green l’honorable juge Baird Counsel at hearing: For the appellant: Peter J.
Beardsworth For the respondent the Minister of Social Development: Amélie Surette For the respondents J.B. and S.B.B.: No one appeared Avocats à l’audience : Pour l’appelant : Peter J. Beardsworth Pour l’intimé le ministre du Développement social : Amélie Surette Pour les intimés J.B. et S.B.B. : personne n’a comparu THE COURT On September 23, 2021, the Court dismissed the appeal with reasons to follow. These reasons are set out in the accompanying text. LA COUR Le 23 septembre 2021, la Cour a rejeté l’appel et a indiqué que les motifs suivraient. Ces motifs sont exposés dans le texte qui suit.
The judgment of the Court was delivered by
FRENCH, J.A. I. Introduction [ 1 ] The maternal grandfather of O appealed a decision that dismissed his application for custody of her and granted guardianship to the Minister of Social Development. The appeal was dismissed with reasons to follow. These are the reasons I joined my colleagues in dismissing the appeal. [ 2 ] Immediately following O’s birth in January 2019, the Minister took her into protective care and obtained a six-month custody order. In June 2019, while O was still in the care of the Minister in Moncton, the parents left for British Columbia, and the Minister applied for guardianship.
Shortly thereafter, S.B., the maternal grandfather who resides in Alberta, applied for custody. [ 3 ] By the time the applications were heard in August 2020, O was 19 months old. The mother attended the hearing; the father did not. While the mother acknowledged she was unable to take custody, she opposed the Minister’s guardianship application and supported her father’s request to be made O’s sole custodial parent until the mother is able to do so.
The grandfather testified he was seeking custody of O until the mother could assume the responsibility. [ 4 ] The grandfather’s grounds of appeal maintain the application judge erred by: (1) placing too much weight on the evidence of his past parenting of his three daughters, and giving insufficient weight to his present circumstances and ability to parent O; (2) placing insufficient weight on the merits of his plan to care for O and too much weight on the Minister’s plan for her adoption; (3) not adequately recognizing the disruption to O’s sense of continuity that will be caused by an adoption and the termination of the connection to her extended family network in Alberta; and (4) failing to properly consider O’s Indigenous and African-American cultural heritage.
In connection with his assertion the judge placed too much weight on the evidence of his past parenting, the grandfather maintained the judge erred by deciding his request for custody without receiving the parenting assessment the Minister had been ordered to arrange through Children’s Services in Alberta . [ 5 ] In my view, the alleged errors do not accurately represent the judge’s analysis, and they effectively seek to have this Court reweigh the evidence. There is no error of law, nor is there a palpable and overriding error in the judge’s assessment of the evidence.
There is no basis for intervention on appeal. II. Background A. The mother and father [ 6 ] Until the parents arrived in Moncton days before O’s birth on January 1, 2019, neither had any connection to the area. The city was simply the most recent stop on a cross-Canada journey that began in the winter of 2018 when they left their home city of Calgary; the journey continued in June 2019 when they travelled to British Columbia and left O with the Minister in Moncton. [ 7 ] The mother turned 19 a few weeks before giving birth. She was 17 when she met the father, who is approximately 30 years her senior.
At that time, he was living at a hotel in Calgary with her mother, that is, O’s grandmother. The record indicates the father has a history of domestic violence. Sometime after the mother began staying in their hotel room, she started using drugs with the father, and a relationship developed. Although the grandmother moved to a homeless shelter, the relationship between the mother and father continued, and it was not long before they, too, wound up residing at a Calgary shelter. The father stopped working; he sold drugs and panhandled. The mother also participated in minor criminal activities.
Despite the issue of a no-contact order between them, as well as arrest warrant(s), they left Calgary and began their journey east. [ 8 ] The parents travelled to a number of cities, where they were involved in additional criminal activities. By summer, they were both arrested in the Belleville/Kingston, Ontario area for theft-related charges and were incarcerated. At this time, it was learned the mother was pregnant, and Children Services in Kingston became involved. There were concerns regarding the lack of prenatal care and the parents’ belief the mother could have the child without anyone knowing.
It also appeared neither parent had the capacity, judgment or ability to keep a child safe from harm. Additionally, there were reports of the parents being arrested in other provinces and using false/alias names. The parents advised Children Services they might travel to Nova Scotia to have the child. The grandfather did not know the whereabouts of his daughter after she left Calgary; at some point, he filed a missing person’s report. He did
not hear from her until after she learned she was pregnant, but she refused his request to return home. [ 9 ] In August 2018, the parents journeyed further east, ultimately making their way to Halifax. It was not long before Nova Scotia’s Child Protection Services became involved. On December 5, 2018, a social worker (and members of the Halifax Regional Police) met with the parents at their lodgings, which were found to be unsuitable for a child and characterized by the police as a “drug den.” The following day, the social worker issued an Interprovincial Alert, which the Minister would later pick up.
When the social worker and the police returned for a visit on December 28, 2018, they discovered the parents had moved on. [ 10 ] A few days later, the parents arrived at a hospital in Moncton. The mother was in labour, but she and the father left before she could be assessed. The mother returned later that day, and the child was born. B. The Minister’s involvement [ 11 ] The hospital contacted the Minister and, on January 2, 2019, O was taken into protective care.
The grandfather was advised his daughter was in Moncton and had given birth. [ 12 ] The initial court appearance for the Minister’s application for a six-month custody order was on January 11, 2019. The requested order was issued with the consent of the parents, both of whom were present. The order incorporated a Case Plan, which had been developed with the parents and addressed the conditions of O’s care, access to her parents and goals for their reunification, among other things. [ 13 ] The grandfather travelled to New Brunswick and was also present at the January 11 th hearing.
He asked to be added as a party to the Minister’s application but was advised he would need to file a motion, which he did straight away. His supporting affidavit, sworn a few days later, attached photos of the bedroom of his Calgary home that he had set up for O, with a crib, change table, etc. The following month, his motion was heard and dismissed, on the basis that he was not a parent within the meaning of the Family Services Act , S.N.B. 1980, c. F-2.2 .
The grandfather advised he would use the duration of the six-month order to demonstrate he would be a suitable custodial parent for O. [ 14 ] The parents exercised access (about half of the scheduled time) until April 2019 and took some steps under the Case Plan; however, by June 2019, the father acquired a car and they left for British Columbia. The Minister applied for guardianship. The initial court appearance was adjourned to August 15, 2019, since the parents could not be located and served. C.
The grandfather’s application [ 15 ] The grandfather located the mother and father in British Columbia and obtained their written consent to his having custody of O. They were still living a transient lifestyle. With information provided by the grandfather, the Minister also contacted the parents and confirmed they wanted the grandfather to have custody. [ 16 ] Based on the position of the parents, the Minister instigated the inquiries necessary to determine whether the grandfather could be made a provisional foster parent to O.
In an “Interprovincial Request for Services,” dated August 8, 2019, the Minister requested Children’s Services in Calgary, Alberta to provide a “Child Welfare Record Check,” a “Home Study (adoption, foster care, place of safety, etc.),” and a “Background History/Information.” In the Request for Services form, the Minister explained: [it was] requesting a home study/assessment for a possible adoption and/or child placement for the child with her maternal grandfather .
In addition, the Minister is requesting a file disclosure of all background history/information and Child Welfare Record Check in regard to [the grandfather’s] involvement with child and or adult protection services. [ 17 ] Two days before the August 15 th hearing in the Minister’s application, the grandfather filed his application for custody, as well as a motion for interim custody. The Minister was named as a respondent, along with the parents. The return date for his motion was set to coincide with the appearance in the Minister’s application.
[ 18 ] On August 15, 2019, the court heard the two matters separately. The Minister’s guardianship application was adjourned again, to allow additional time to serve the parents. The grandfather’s motion for interim custody was adjourned to September 30, 2019, for a one-day hearing. The court also ordered the Minister have “a home study and parenting assessment completed” by Children’s Services in Alberta.
The Order states: That the Respondent, the Minister of Social Development, have a home study and parenting assessment completed by their counterparts in Alberta to assess the [grandfather’s] capabilities of supporting and caring for [the child] as a sole custodial parent. [Emphasis added.] [ 19 ] As noted, on appeal, the grandfather maintains the application judge erred by dismissing his application for custody of O without requiring the Minister to complete the parenting assessment that had been ordered but was never undertaken. [ 20 ] Before the hearing of the grandfather’s motion, on September 30, 2019, the Minister received some of the information that had been requested from Children’s Services.
It caused the Minister to conclude the grandfather could not be a provisional foster parent, under their policies, and it also caused concern about his request for custody of O. [ 21 ] There were no issues regarding his home or financial means. While Children’s Services advised a full “Safe Home Study” could not be completed before the September court date, they reported there were no obvious safety concerns at his home and a bedroom had been prepared for O.
A representative of Children’s Services met the grandfather, and his youngest daughter (then 17), and found he had a newer home, obtained through Habitat for Humanity, that was clean and well maintained. [ 22 ] However, of considerable concern was the 31-page report from Children’s Services that provided a
summary of their records on the grandfather’s involvement with the department. It begins by stating: “Please note, [the grandfather] has extensive history both as a child in need and as an adult. Also the history appears a little disjointed, but that is because there were times [the grandfather] was in the family and then not, and then back again.” The report summarizes the involvement of Children’s Services since May 2000, shortly after the mother was born (in December 1999), and the grandfather and the grandmother had the care of her, as well as her older sister.
More will be said about this below. [ 23 ] Also of concern to the Minister were the results of the criminal record check, which disclosed convictions in 1996, 2000 and 2006. Its policy precludes persons convicted of certain offences from being foster parents of (or adopting) children in the Minister’s care. [ 24 ] The grandfather testified at the hearing of his motion for interim custody, but his request was dismissed, and O remained in the Minister’s care pending the hearing of the applications.
The court directed a three-day hearing be scheduled in March 2020. [ 25 ] At a pre-trial conference in February 2020, the Minister advised it was no longer requesting “a psychological evaluation with a parenting capacity component,” pursuant to s. 8 of the Family Services Act and s. 11.4 of the Judicature Act , R.S.N.B. 1973, c. J-2 .
It is unclear from the record if the “psychological evaluation with a parenting component” is a reference to the “home study and parenting assessment” ordered in August 2019 or a distinct assessment contemplated in relation to the Minister’s application for guardianship. [ 26 ] Unfortunately, the COVID pandemic required the court to postpone the trial. In June, it was rescheduled for August 2020. D. The hearing [ 27 ] During a four-day hearing, the mother testified in support of the grandfather’s application, as did her older sister and a close friend of the grandfather’s.
They all stated he is able to care for O.
[ 28 ] The grandfather, who was born in Alberta in 1974, testified that his childhood was difficult, with most of it being spent in foster care, including a period in a psychiatric unit. He explained this is part of his reason for trying so hard to avoid O being removed from her family. [ 29 ] He met O’s grandmother around 1997, when he was about 23. Shortly thereafter, she and her 7- or 8-year-old daughter, K (born August 1990), moved in with him. They had their first child together in December 1999, when the mother was born.
Another daughter, N, was born in March 2002. [ 30 ] As noted, the grandfather’s grounds of appeal challenge the judge’s assessment of O’s cultural heritage. He identifies as an Indigenous person, having obtained a certificate of his status in April 2019. The grandmother is African-American. [ 31 ] There is no dispute that, when their daughters were young, the grandmother and grandfather elicited valid concerns about their daughters’ care, and the poor state of their home. A
summary of the involvement of Children’s Services in Alberta, while the grandmother and grandfather had joint care of their daughters, is as follows: • In May 2000, the involvement of Children’s Services was instigated by concerns over K, then still only 9 years old, looking after the mother, then only five months old, and over K being locked in her room and bruised. There were also concerns the parents were selling drugs from their home and using them while responsible for the care of the children. The poor state of the home and the hygiene of the children were also prominent issues.
Later that year, the grandfather was convicted of possession for the purpose of trafficking (of a scheduled substance) and, on a separate occasion, of theft (under $5,000). • In April 2001, the grandmother asked Children’s Services to provide assistance with K, whose behaviour she found to be unmanageable, both at school and at home. Children’s Services placed K in care for a couple of weeks but, a few weeks later, both children were emergency apprehended.
K remained out of the home until December 2001 and, from then until June 2002, a Supervisory Order was in place. • In March 2002, shortly after N was born, another investigation was instigated over concerns regarding the care of the children and the state of the home. This investigation was resolved with a Support Agreement. • In May 2005, Children’s Services became involved over claims that the grandmother was physically fighting with K (then almost 15) and the grandfather was using drugs. The investigation also gave rise to concerns over the care of all the children.
The intervention continued until September. [ 32 ] The grandfather testified that he and the grandmother separated sometime in or around 2004/2005, when he moved out of the home. All three daughters remained in the care of the grandmother. They would have been about 15, five and three. [ 33 ] Following separation, the grandfather experienced what he described as “major issues.” He was using crack regularly and, in late 2006, he was convicted of multiple criminal offences and, at 34, he was sentenced to approximately six years in prison.
He testified that he was involved in stealing truckloads of goods, and he and an accomplice were hired to kidnap and kill a person who was believed to have been speaking too openly about criminal activity; however, they decided to spare his life and instead staged his killing, lied about it and collected the $25,000 fee for the job. [ 34 ] In 2010, he was released to a halfway house. Later that year, he secured an apartment and, soon after, the grandmother turned their two youngest daughters over to him. When he became their primary caregiver, the mother was 11 and N was 8.
The eldest daughter, K, had previously left her mother’s care. She would have been about 20, and it appears that around this time she had a child of her own. [ 35 ] The grandfather’s role as the primary caregiver of the mother and N was a focus of the evidence led at the hearing of the application. [ 36 ] He testified that prison straightened him out and he has been a changed person since then. He emphasized that,
since becoming the sole caregiver to his two youngest daughters following his release, he has remained sober, had no problems with the law and been employed. He has worked as a crane operator and currently works as a truck driver.
His income fluctuates; the record indicates he earned $80,000 one year but it dropped to $40,000 the following year. [ 37 ] The grandfather also testified that, immediately upon assuming responsibility for his daughters, he attended to the poor state of their hygiene, which had been a concern of Children’s Services when the grandparents lived together, and he took care of their dental and health needs.
He also had them assessed for education purposes. [ 38 ] The grandfather described his efforts to remove his daughters from their old neighbourhood, where drug and alcohol abuse were prevalent, and to provide them with a healthier environment. With the assistance of Habitat for Humanity, he obtained a new home in a new community.
He arranged for them to attend summer camps, sponsored by the Tim Horton’s Foundation, and visit to Disneyland in California, with the support of a non-profit organization. [ 39 ] The grandfather faced challenges in raising the mother and her younger sister, which he and the mother acknowledged during their testimony, and Children’s Services became involved at times: • In April 2011, an investigation was prompted by N reporting that she and the mother would be “hit upside the head” by the grandfather to discipline them.
While there were discussions with him regarding the inappropriateness of such forms of discipline, and he refused voluntary services, further intervention was considered unnecessary. • In July 2013, Children’s Services investigated a concern that the mother, at 13, was having sex to obtain marijuana. This gave rise to an investigation under the Protection of Sexually Exploited Children Act , R.S.A. 2000, c. P-30.3 . A similar investigation had been made in relation to K while she was in the care of the grandmother.
Children’s Services did not contact the grandfather respecting this investigation, and he testified he did not know it occurred. • In March 2015, an investigation was prompted by the mother disclosing that, for a number of years, the grandfather “hits her in the head” when he is angry. She explained that she was never injured by this and was not concerned about it getting worse.
While it was concluded this form of discipline was inappropriate, no action was taken. [ 40 ] Both the grandfather and the mother testified to her desire to spend more time at her mother’s, in the old neighbourhood, where there were virtually no restrictions on her activities. She skipped classes to spend time with friends and smoke marijuana. By the time the mother turned 15 or 16, she was spending a significant amount of time at her mother’s.
Both the grandfather and the mother also testified she had a difficult, resentful relationship with her younger sister, since N followed the grandfather’s rules of the house, and she did not. The grandfather testified he was unable to make the mother stay at his home and/or follow the rules. This was, in his opinion, in part because she was too old. He also disapproved of the mother’s relationship with the father but indicated he was powerless to stop it.
In his opinion, the grandmother ignored the fact the father supplied the mother with drugs and the unhealthy relationship that existed between them. [ 41 ] The grandfather, K and the mother all testified that the grandmother was physically abusive and, when they were all together, she was responsible for the poor state of their hygiene and the condition of their home. E. The application judge’s decision [ 42 ] In her reasons for decision, the application judge addressed separately each of the factors enumerated in the definition of the “best interests of the child” in s. 1 of the Family Services Act .
As is often the case, some weighed in favour of the grandfather’s request for custody, while others did not. She accepted the evidence that the grandfather has the ability to provide financially for O, including with a proper home, and that his involvement with criminal activities is a thing of the past, not his present; however, she was not satisfied the evidence established he had the ability to parent his very young granddaughter, nor was she convinced his plan for O’s custody was in her best interests.
The judge’s findings and concerns in this regard are reflected in her assessment of the evidence of his ability to meet the “mental, emotional and physical health” needs of O: [The grandfather] presented reliable evidence of his ability to provide adequate shelter for [O]. He has a proper home, a room for O. and he can financially provide for her.
[The grandfather’s] evidence as to his capacity, understanding and insight into the emotional and mental wellbeing of a child of O.’s age is lacking. I am aware [the grandfather] took parenting classes, but his evidence on the abilities and knowledge he acquired during this course was not convincing. Since [the grandfather] presented limited evidence as to his present ability to parent O., the Court is entitled to rely on [his] parenting history. As a parent of three children [he] was unable to provide, on a consistent basis, an appropriate level of care for his young daughters especially K. and [the mother].
The evidence is clear multiple child protection interventions were necessary to protect the children from abuse and neglect and these interventions were directed not only at [the grandmother] but at [him] also. The [grandfather’s] eldest daughter, K. testified of the abuse and neglect she endured during her childhood. [His] own evidence is that he did little to protect K. [He] was unresponsive and indifferent to the physical and emotional harm being inflicted upon his children. He neglected to protect them from harm and chose to remain passive .
I am concerned by the fact [he] stood by and did little to prevent [the grandmother] from mistreating K. and [the mother]. For [him] to nonchalantly tell the Court he did not intervene because he was not K.’s biological parent or he worked long hours and it was [the grandmother] who parented the children is disconcerting and rings hollow. [The grandfather’s] lack of accountability demonstrates he had little concern for his children’s distress.
This Court must entrust the custody of O. to a person willing to protect her and who is not indifferent to a child’s physical, mental or emotional health and her need for appropriate care and treatment. I am aware K. and [the mother] told the Court [the grandfather] should not shoulder any of the responsibility for the abuse and the distress they suffered as children, as it is their mother alone who should bear this burden. Their beliefs do not convince me.
In my view, [the grandfather’s] inability or unwillingness to protect his children, his indifference and lack of accountability for his actions or inaction must weigh in my determination of his ability to care for O.’s well-being. I am alive to the fact that past parenting is not always an indicator of future parenting, but past parenting must be weighed and considered. […] […] As to [the grandfather’s] criminal past, I acknowledge [he] seems to have left behind the life of crime of some 14 years ago. It appears his time in prison led him to a positive rehabilitation.
While [he] bore some accountability for his past crimes, he showed very little accountability when it came to his past parenting. [Emphasis added; paras. 102-108 and 111] [ 43 ] The judge’s findings and concerns are also reflected in her assessment of the grandfather’s ability to provide a “secure environment that would permit the child to become a useful and productive member of society through the achievement of [her] full potential according to [her] individual capacity.” She stated: [The grandfather] was not forthcoming regarding the various interventions from child protection authorities which took place shortly after he formed a family with [the grandmother] and while being the primary caregiver of [the mother] and N.
He provided few details as to what specifically took place. He minimized and somewhat normalized these interventions that at the time required Court interventions. He brushed aside legitimate and serious concerns of Alberta Child Services related to the children's disclosure in 2011, 2013 and 2015. His testimony showed some indifference as to what the children had said as well as their feelings and well-being. I am not convinced O. will be secure in [the grandfather’s] care. I have already discussed at length the fact that [he] failed to protect his children from harm and risk of harm.
He also allowed [the mother] to move in with [the grandmother] when she was an out of control teenager knowing [the grandmother’s] inability to care and parent [the mother]. I am also concerned with the fragility and instability of [the grandfather’s] family dynamics. If O.’s custody was to be entrusted
to [him], she would join a family marked by ongoing trauma. The testimony of K. and [the mother] clearly indicated they have yet to heal from past traumatic events. Lastly, I am concerned by the fact [the grandfather] was unsure if he would allow the [grandmother] to take on a role in O.’s life, knowing his daughters were mistreated by her. [Emphasis added; paras. 122- 125] [ 44 ] While the judge also considered O’s cultural heritage and the significance of the severing O’s ties to her birth family, in the end, she did not accept the claim that granting custody of O to the grandfather was in her best interests.
III. Analysis [ 45 ] In my view, the grandfather’s appeal sought to have this Court reweigh the evidence. While he articulated distinct grounds of appeal, none identified an error in law or a palpable and overriding error in the judge’s analysis. In essence, the appeal invited us to accept that factors favouring his request for custody should have caused the judge to decide custody was in O’s best interests. [ 46 ] The standard of review in child protection and custody cases requires appellate courts give significant deference to the trial judge’s decision.
Decisions involving custody require courts to weigh a number of factors, based on unique factual circumstances, to determine an outcome that is in the child’s best interests. This analysis is not open for appellate courts to redetermine; the scope of appellate review is narrow (see Van de Perre v. Edwards , 2001 SCC 60 , [2001] 2 S.C.R. 1014 , at paras. 10-11 ). In order to intervene, the Court must find the trial judge’s decision was based on an error in law or involved a material error in the appreciation of the facts (see S.B. v. Minister of Family and Community Services , 2006 NBCA 41 , [2006] N.B.J.
No. 167 (QL) , at para. 3 ). A. The judge’s assessment of the evidence of past parenting and the grandfather’s current circumstances [ 47 ] The grandfather maintained the judge erred in law and/or misapprehended the evidence by placing too much weight on his past parenting and failing to give sufficient weight to his current circumstances and ability to parent O.
Additionally, he argued the judge should not have put so much weight on his “past history and conduct” without requiring the Minister to complete the “home study and parenting assessment” that had been ordered but was not completed. [ 48 ] It is not an error in law to consider evidence of past parenting in child protection and/or custody cases. Indeed, the grandfather does not suggest it was impermissible for the judge to have done so (see S.H. and M.D. v. The Minister of Social Development , 2014 NBCA 20 , 419 N.B.R. (2d) 377 (leave to appeal refused in S.H. v.
New Brunswick (Minister of Social Development) , [2014] S.C.C.A. No. 322 (QL); J.F. v. Newfoundland and Labrador (Child, Youth and Family Services) , 2013 NLCA 55 , [2013] N.J. No. 372 (QL) ; Nova Scotia (Community Services) v. S.Z. , 1999 NSCA 155 , [1999] N.S.J. No. 426 (QL) ; K.L.M. v. Nova Scotia (Community Services) , 2007 NSCA 100 , [2007] N.S.J. No. 411 (QL) ; S.A.D. v. Nova Scotia (Community Services) , 2014 NSCA 77 , [2014] N.S.J.
No. 419 (QL) ; S.H. and M.D. ). [ 49 ] The essence of the grandfather’s position is that the evidence of the decade following his release from prison establishes he underwent a remarkable transformation; he says it represents a clear break from his past and demonstrates his dedication to being a good parent to his daughters. He submitted the judge failed to adequately acknowledge the evidence of the mother and K, which confirmed that he has matured as a person and been a fine father in the past decade and is able to care for O.
He also maintained the evidence does not support the judge’s finding that his family situation adds uncertainty in relation to his plan for O. While readily acknowledging he intends to permit the mother to have regular visits with O and he expects she will one day become able to assume custody of O, he claims neither would occur until he is satisfied that doing so is in O’s best interests.
He argued t he evidence should not have left the judge with an apprehension about his ability to parent O. [ 50 ] These submissions are similar to those made to the judge at the hearing of the application, and they were considered in her analysis. Not only do the judge’s reasons for her decision expressly acknowledge evidence of past parenting is not the only indication of a current ability to parent, they reveal she considered the evidence the grandfather emphasized in his submissions to this Court on appeal. Further, the grandfather does not identify any facts or evidence that the judge misapprehended.
As stated, it is not the Court’s role to reweigh the evidence from the trial and, absent the identification of a material error in fact, the Court cannot intervene. While she acknowledged evidence that is favourable to his application, after considering all the evidence, the judge was left with concerns over his ability to address the needs of O, a very young child.
[ 51 ] Additionally, I do not accept the grandfather’s contention the judge erred by giving “weight to the evidence of his past history and conduct” without the Minister introducing into evidence the assessment that had been ordered to be completed by Children’s Services. The grandfather asked that if we were to allow his appeal but not award custody of O to him, we direct that a parenting assessment be completed prior to a new trial. [ 52 ] This position was advanced for the first time on appeal.
It was acknowledged there was no objection to proceeding with the hearings in the absence of the assessment and there was no request for an adjournment. [ 53 ] It would be no small matter had the Minister simply disregarded an order to undertake an assessment; however, a review of the record does not support viewing the lack of an assessment in this manner.
At a minimum, it is an overstatement to say the Minister disregarded a court order. [ 54 ] The order to have Children’s Services complete a “home study and parenting assessment” was made at the first court appearance in connection with the grandfather’s motion for interim custody. Prior to the hearing, the Minister had started to make inquiries into the possibility of placing O with the grandfather, as a provisional foster parent.
This is evidenced in the Interprovincial Request for Services issued to Children’s Services, which explained that the Minister was requesting a “ home study/assessment for a possible adoption and/or child placement,” along with the other information sought in the Request. That is, until the Minister received reports of the grandfather’s involvement with Children’s Services and his criminal record.
As a representative of the Minister also explained at the hearing, this information caused the Minister to conclude the grandfather could not qualify as a provisional foster parent (or a potential adoptive parent) according to their policies, and the Minister did not pursue further the information that had been requested of Children’s Services. [ 55 ] The order to have Children’s Services complete a “home study and parenting assessment” appears to align with the inquiries the Minister had previously made to Children’s Services by Interprovincial Request.
At least it appears there is some basis for the Minister’s understanding that the order reflected their requests. In addition, while the record in relation to this issue is incomplete, such an understanding is consistent with not objecting to an order that required the Minister to obtain from Children’s Services information the Minister was entitled to request through an Interprovincial Request and had been requested.
Otherwise, it is difficult to appreciate the basis for an order requiring the Minister to have Children’s Services in Alberta complete an assessment. [ 56 ] Regardless of the intention or understanding of the order, the Minister raised the issue of outstanding assessments at a pre-trial conference in February 2020, which had been requested by the Minister to address this issue, among others.
The Minister advised the court that it no longer required a “psychological assessment with a parenting component.” Since a psychological assessment was not part of the “home study and parenting assessment” that was ordered in August 2019, it seems, although it is not clear from the record, that the Minister may have been referring to a different assessment, perhaps one that was being pursued in relation to the guardianship application.
In any event, the Minister raised the issue of outstanding assessments, and it then became plain to the court and the grandfather the Minister did not intend to complete and/or introduce an assessment at the hearing of the applications. There is no indication in the record the grandfather or the court took exception to the Minister’s position. Ultimately, the March 2020 hearings were adjourned, without new dates until June 2020, when the matter was scheduled for August 2020.
Had the Minister’s position been unacceptable to either the grandfather, or the court, there was opportunity to pursue the matter further. [ 57 ] While a representative of the Minister was cross-examined at the hearing of the applications in relation to the decision not to pursue the assessment, and the reasons for deciding to oppose the grandfather’s application, there was no objection to proceeding in the absence of the assessment, nor was there a request for an adjournment to obtain one. [ 58 ] In my opinion, there was no error in the application judge hearing the grandfather’s application in the absence of an assessment and/or adjudicating it on the evidence that was called by the parties.
B. The judge’s assessment of the Minister’s and grandfather’s plans and the disruption such plans would cause to O’s sense of continuity [ 59 ] The grandfather challenged the judge’s assessment of the merits of his and the Minister’s plans for O and the disruption they would cause to her sense of continuity. Counsel for the grandfather made strong submissions regarding the importance of family in support of his position that it is in O’s best interests to be in his custody.
He maintained the familial relationship cannot be viewed only in the short term, or narrowly, and he argued legislative changes to adoption records to make them more open and accessible
are a statutory recognition of the significance of the desire to know of, and connect with, one’s birth/biological family. [ 60 ] However, he was unable to identify a palpable error in the judge’s assessment of the evidence relative to these factors, and his submissions asked us to reweigh the facts he emphasizes, all of which were considered by the judge. [ 61 ] The judge recognized the importance of family and the impact of the Minister’s plan to seek adoption for O.
Even in the absence of an established connection between O and the grandfather and/or the mother, caused in part by the physical distance that has existed between them, the consequences of severing their relationship were acknowledged. The judge also considered in some detail the merits of the grandfather’s plan for custody, including that he would ensure O had access to her mother and extended family. This included his expectation the mother would be able to assume custody of O at some point.
On this point, the grandfather testified that, while he was seeking custody for the benefit of O, he also said he was doing so, at least in part, for the benefit of the mother. [ 62 ] In
summary, the judge did not misapprehend the evidence, and her assessment of these factors does not reveal any error. C.
The judge’s assessment of O’s cultural heritage [ 63 ] The grandfather acknowledges the judge considered O’s Indigenous and African-American cultural heritage; however, he maintains she erred by noting that evidence of his Indigenous customs, traditions, beliefs and/or practices was lacking, as was evidence of involvement with his Indigenous community. [ 64 ] The importance of cultural heritage to an assessment of a child’s best interests is reflected in the legislature’s inclusion of religious and cultural heritage as one of the expressly enumerated factors in the definition of “best interests of the child” in the Family Services Act .
Cultural heritage is also recognized in the part of the Act that addresses adoption. Although s. 85(2) of the Act provides that an adoption order “ severs the tie the child had with his natural parent,” it also states that adoption “does not terminate or affect any rights the child has that flow from his cultural heritage, including aboriginal rights” (emphasis added).
In addition, s. 94.4(5) permits “an adopted person who is aboriginal,” who wishes to seek a determination of “entitlement to registration as an Indian under [the Indian ] Act or to benefits as an aboriginal person,” to request from the Minister the disclosure of information relevant to that determination, including information regarding birth parents: 94.4
(5) If an adopted person who is aboriginal or his or her adopting parent makes a request to the Minister, the Minister may disclose non-identifying and identifying information about the adopted person or his or her birth parents and any other information that the Minister considers relevant to the Registrar under the Indian Act (Canada) or to the appropriate federal or provincial official for the purpose of determining entitlement to registration as an Indian under that Act or to benefits as an aboriginal person. 94.4
(5) À la demande d’une personne adoptée qui est autochtone ou de son parent adoptif, le ministre peut divulguer des renseignements non identificatoires et identificatoires sur la personne adoptée ou ses parents naturels et tout autre renseignement jugé pertinent pour le registraire en vertu de la
Loi sur les Indiens (Canada) ou pour un fonctionnaire fédéral ou provincial compétent dans le but d’établir son droit d’être inscrite comme Indien en vertu de cette loi ou d’obtenir des prestations en tant qu’Autochtone. [ 65 ] T he Minister’s evidence was that the case plan for O includes ensuring her cultural heritage is acknowledged. [ 66 ] T he grandfather is correct to emphasize that the issue before the application judge was consideration of O’s cultural heritage, not the extent of his or the mother’s participation in, or connection to, their cultural traditions or community.
The question regarding a child’s religious and cultural heritage is not about the cultural values and practices of the prospective custodial parent but is about the child’s entitlement to remain connected to her own cultural heritage, which goes beyond the practice of specific activities by a custodial parent. [ 67 ] This said, it is not an error in law to consider the evidence as it relates to the extent to which it may be
reasonably expected that a custodial parent would foster and support the child’s cultural and religious heritage. Indeed, as the Supreme Court stated in Van de Perre , “the significance of evidence relating to race in any given custody case must be carefully considered by the trial judge” (para. 40). [ 68 ] In this case, the judge noted the lack of evidence regarding the grandfather’s Indigenous beliefs, traditions and/or practices.
This limited the judge’s ability to do more than recognize generally the importance of O’s Indigenous and African- American cultural heritage . [ 69 ] Effectively, the grandfather asserts the judge should have weighed more heavily his submission that he is better able to support O’s Indigenous cultural heritage than adoptive parents. His position was clear to the judge and considered by her; in my opinion, the judge’s decision in relation to this issue does not reflect reversible error. V. Conclusion [ 70 ] It was for these reasons I joined with my colleagues in dismissing the appeal.
Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par LE JUGE FRENCH I. Introduction [1] Le grand-père maternel d’O. a interjeté appel d’une décision rejetant sa demande de garde de l’enfant et accordant la tutelle au ministre du Développement social. L’appel a été rejeté, les motifs devant suivre. Voici les motifs pour lesquels je me suis joint à mes collègues pour rejeter l’appel. [2] Immédiatement après sa naissance en janvier 2019, O. a été placée sous un régime de protection et le Ministre a obtenu une ordonnance de garde d’une durée de six mois.
En juin 2019, alors qu’O. était toujours sous les soins du Ministre, à Moncton, les parents sont partis en Colombie-Britannique et le Ministre a fait une demande de tutelle. Peu après, S.B., le grand-père maternel, qui habite en Alberta, a fait une demande de garde. [3] Lorsque les demandes ont été entendues en août 2020, O. avait 19 mois. La mère a assisté à l’audience, mais non le père.
Bien que la mère ait reconnu qu’elle n’était pas en mesure d’assurer la garde de l’enfant, elle a contesté la demande de tutelle du Ministre et a appuyé la demande de son père visant à se faire désigner comme parent ayant la garde exclusive d’O. jusqu’à ce que la mère soit en mesure d’assumer ce rôle.
Le grand-père a témoigné qu’il demandait la garde d’O. jusqu’à ce que la mère puisse en assumer la responsabilité. [4] Selon les moyens d’appel invoqués par le grand-père, la juge saisie de la demande aurait commis une erreur : 1) en accordant trop d’importance à la preuve concernant son parentage de ses trois filles dans le passé et en n’accordant pas assez d’importance à sa situation actuelle et à son aptitude actuelle à parenter O.; 2) en n’accordant pas assez d’importance aux avantages de son plan concernant les soins d’O. et en accordant trop d’importance au plan présenté par le Ministre pour l’adoption de l’enfant; 3) en ne reconnaissant pas à sa juste mesure l’atteinte à la stabilité d’O. qui résulterait d’une adoption et de la rupture de ses liens avec son réseau familial élargi en Alberta; et 4) en ne tenant pas compte comme il se devait du patrimoine culturel autochtone et afro-américain d’O.
En ce qui concerne son assertion voulant que la juge a accordé trop d’importance à ses antécédents de parentage, le grand-père a soutenu que la juge a commis une erreur en se prononçant sur sa demande de garde avant de recevoir l’évaluation de sa capacité de parentage que l’on avait enjoint au Ministre de faire faire par l’entremise des services à l’enfance en Alberta.
[5] À mon avis, les erreurs alléguées ne donnent pas un portrait exact de l’analyse effectuée par la juge; en réalité, on demande à notre Cour de réévaluer la preuve. Il n’y a pas d’erreur de droit; il n’y a pas non plus d’erreur manifeste et dominante dans l’appréciation de la preuve faite par la juge. Il n’y a aucun motif justifiant une intervention en appel. II. Contexte A. La mère et le père [6] Jusqu’à leur arrivée à Moncton, quelques jours avant la naissance d’O. le 1 er janvier 2019, ni l’un ni l’autre des parents n’avait de lien quelconque avec la région.
La ville était simplement l’arrêt le plus récent d’un voyage pancanadien qui a débuté à l’hiver 2018 alors qu’ils ont quitté la ville de Calgary, d’où ils sont originaires. Le voyage a continué en juin 2019, alors qu’ils se sont rendus en Colombie-Britannique, laissant O. sous les soins du Ministre à Moncton. [7] La mère a eu 19 ans quelques semaines avant de donner naissance. Elle avait 17 ans lorsqu’elle a rencontré le père, qui est son aîné d’environ 30 ans. À l’époque, celui-ci vivait dans un hôtel à Calgary avec la mère de la mère, c’est-à-dire avec la grand-mère d’O.
Le dossier indique que le père a des antécédents de violence familiale. Après que la mère eut commencé à rester dans leur chambre d’hôtel, elle a commencé à consommer des drogues avec le père, et une relation s’est développée. Bien que la grand-mère ait déménagé dans un refuge pour sans-abri, la relation entre la mère et le père a continué, et il a fallu peu de temps avant qu’ils se retrouvent, eux aussi, dans un refuge de Calgary. Le père a cessé de travailler; il vendait des drogues et mendiait. La mère aussi a participé à des activités criminelles mineures.
Bien qu’il y ait eu une ordonnance de non-communication entre eux, ainsi qu’un ou plusieurs mandats d’arrestation, ils ont quitté Calgary et entamé leur voyage vers l’est. [8] Les parents se sont rendus dans plusieurs villes, où ils ont participé à d’autres activités criminelles. À l’été, ils ont tous deux été arrêtés dans la région de Belleville/Kingston, en Ontario, en lien avec des accusations liées au vol, et ils ont été incarcérés. On a alors appris que la mère était enceinte, et les services à l’enfance de Kingston sont intervenus.
Le manque de soins prénataux et le fait que les parents croyaient que la mère pouvait donner naissance à l’enfant sans que personne ne le sache soulevaient des préoccupations. Il semblait en outre que ni l’un ni l’autre des parents n’avait l’aptitude, le jugement ou la capacité nécessaires pour protéger un enfant du danger. De plus, il y avait des rapports qui indiquaient que les parents avaient été arrêtés dans d’autres provinces et qu’ils utilisaient de faux noms. Les parents ont informé les services à l’enfance qu’il se pouvait qu’ils se rendent en Nouvelle-Écosse pour la naissance de l’enfant.
Le grand-père ne savait pas où sa fille se trouvait après son départ de Calgary; à un moment donné, il a déposé un rapport de personne disparue. Il n’a pas eu de ses nouvelles avant qu’elle apprenne qu’elle était enceinte; elle a toutefois refusé d’accéder à sa demande de retourner chez elle. [9] Au mois d’août 2018, les parents se sont dirigés encore plus vers l’est, se rendant en fin de compte à Halifax. Il n’a pas fallu beaucoup de temps avant que les services de protection de l’enfance de la Nouvelle-Écosse n’interviennent.
Le 5 décembre 2018, un travailleur social (accompagné de membres du Service de police de la municipalité régionale d’Halifax) a rencontré les parents à leur logement, qui a été jugé inadapté pour un enfant et que les policiers ont qualifié de [TRADUCTION] « repaire pour le commerce de la drogue ». Le lendemain, le travailleur social a émis une alerte interprovinciale, dont le Ministre prendrait plus tard connaissance.
Lorsqu’ils sont retournés pour une visite le 28 décembre 2018, le travailleur social et les policiers ont constaté que les parents étaient repartis. [10] Quelques jours plus tard, les parents sont arrivés à un hôpital à Moncton. La mère était en travail, mais elle et le père sont partis avant qu’elle puisse être évaluée. La mère est retournée plus tard dans la journée, et l’enfant est née. B. L’intervention du Ministre [11] L’hôpital a communiqué avec le Ministre et, le 2 janvier 2019, O. a été placée sous un régime de protection.
Le grand-père a été avisé que sa fille était à Moncton et qu’elle avait accouché. [12] La première comparution devant un tribunal pour l’audition de la demande du Ministre en vue d’obtenir une ordonnance de garde d’une durée de six mois a eu lieu le 11 janvier 2019. L’ordonnance sollicitée a été rendue avec le consentement des parents, qui étaient tous deux présents. L’ordonnance comprenait un plan d’intervention qui avait été élaboré avec les parents et qui traitait notamment des conditions liées aux soins d’O., du droit d’accès à ses parents et des objectifs de réunification.
[13] Le grand-père s’est rendu au Nouveau-Brunswick et il était, lui aussi, présent à l’audience du 11 janvier. Il a demandé d’être joint comme
partie à la demande du Ministre; on l’a toutefois informé qu’il devrait déposer une motion, ce qu’il a fait immédiatement. Son affidavit à l’appui, qu’il a souscrit quelques jours plus tard, comprenait, en annexe, des photos de la chambre à coucher qu’il avait aménagée pour O. dans sa maison de Calgary, avec un lit de bébé et une table à langer, entre autres choses. Sa motion a été entendue et rejetée le mois suivant, au motif qu’il n’était pas un parent au sens de la
Loi sur les services à la famille , L.N.-B. 1980, ch. F-2.2. Le grand-père a indiqué qu’il utiliserait la durée de l’ordonnance de six mois pour démontrer qu’il serait un parent gardien convenable pour O. [14] Les parents se sont prévalus de leur droit d’accès (environ la moitié du temps prévu) jusqu’en avril 2019 et ont pris certaines mesures prévues dans le plan d’intervention; toutefois, en juin 2019, le père avait acquis une voiture et les parents sont partis pour la Colombie-Britannique. Le Ministre a fait une demande de tutelle.
La première comparution devant le tribunal a été reportée au 15 août 2019, puisque l’on n’arrivait pas à retrouver les parents et à leur signifier les documents. C. La demande du grand-père [15] Le grand-père a retrouvé la mère et le père en Colombie-Britannique et a obtenu leur consentement écrit pour que la garde d’O. lui soit confiée. Ils menaient toujours une vie d’errance.
À partir des renseignements fournis par le grand-père, le Ministre a lui aussi communiqué avec les parents et a confirmé qu’ils voulaient que la garde soit confiée au grand-père. [16] En se fondant sur la position des parents, le Ministre a initié les recherches nécessaires pour déterminer si le grand-père pouvait être désigné comme parent nourricier provisoire pour O.
Dans une demande de services interprovinciale datée du 8 août 2019, le Ministre a demandé aux services à l’enfance de Calgary, en Alberta, une vérification des dossiers des services de bien- être à l’enfance, une évaluation familiale (adoption, placement familial, lieu sûr, etc.) et un dossier de renseignements généraux. Dans le formulaire de demande de services, le Ministre a expliqué ce qui suit : [TRADUCTION] [il] demande une évaluation familiale en vue d’une éventuelle adoption ou d’un éventuel placement de l’enfant avec son grand-père maternel .
En outre, le Ministre demande la communication de tous les renseignements généraux figurant aux dossiers et la vérification des dossiers des services de bien-être à l’enfance concernant les rapports entre [le grand-père] et les services de protection de l’enfance ou des adultes. [17] Deux jours avant l’audition de la demande du Ministre, prévue pour le 15 août, le grand-père a déposé sa demande de garde ainsi qu’une motion en vue d’obtenir la garde provisoire. Le Ministre, ainsi que les parents, y était nommément désigné comme intimé.
La date fixée pour l’audition de la motion devait coïncider avec la comparution dans le cadre de la demande du Ministre. [18] Le 15 août 2019, le tribunal a entendu les deux demandes séparément. La demande de tutelle du Ministre a de nouveau été reportée, afin de donner plus de temps pour signifier les documents aux parents. La motion du grand-père en vue d’obtenir la garde provisoire a été reportée au 30 septembre 2019, pour une audience d’une journée.
Le tribunal a également enjoint au Ministre de faire faire une évaluation familiale et une évaluation de la capacité de parentage par les services à l’enfance de l’Alberta.
Voici le libellé de l’ordonnance : [TRADUCTION] Que le défendeur, le ministre du Développement social, fasse faire une évaluation familiale et une évaluation de la capacité de parentage par ses homologues en Alberta afin d’évaluer la capacité du [grand-père] de s’occuper de [l’enfant] comme parent ayant la garde exclusive. [Soulignement ajouté.] [19] Comme je l’ai indiqué, en appel, le grand-père prétend que la juge saisie de la demande a commis une erreur en rejetant sa demande visant la garde d’O. sans obliger le Ministre à faire faire l’évaluation de sa capacité de parentage qui avait été ordonnée, mais qui n’a jamais été faite.
[20] Avant l’audition de la motion du grand-père le 30 septembre 2019, le Ministre a reçu une
partie de l’information qu’il avait demandée aux services à l’enfance. Cette information a amené le Ministre à conclure que le grand-père ne pouvait être un parent nourricier provisoire, selon les politiques du Ministère; l’information a aussi soulevé des préoccupations à l’égard de sa demande visant la garde d’O. [21] Aucune préoccupation n’a été soulevée quant à son domicile ou ses ressources financières.
Bien que les services à l’enfance aient indiqué qu’il n’était pas possible d’effectuer une évaluation du milieu familial avant la date prévue pour l’audience du mois de septembre, ils ont indiqué que son domicile ne soulevait aucune préoccupation évidente d’ordre sécuritaire et qu’une chambre à coucher avait été aménagée pour O.
Un représentant des services à l’enfance a rencontré le grand-père et sa fille cadette (alors âgée de 17 ans) et a constaté qu’il avait une maison plus récente, obtenue par l’entremise d’Habitat pour l’Humanité, qui était propre et bien entretenue. [22] Cependant, le rapport de 31 pages préparé par les services à l’enfance, qui présentait un résumé de leurs dossiers sur les rapports du grand-père avec le Ministère, était particulièrement inquiétant.
On y lit d’abord ce qui suit : [TRADUCTION] « Veuillez noter que [le grand-père] a de lourds antécédents à la fois comme enfant ayant besoin de protection et comme adulte. En outre, l’historique semble un peu décousu, mais c’est en raison du fait qu’il y a des périodes pendant lesquelles [le grand-père] était dans la famille, puis il ne l’était plus, puis il y revenait. » Le rapport résume les interventions des services à l’enfance depuis mai 2000, peu après la naissance de la mère (en décembre 1999), alors que le grand-père et la grand-mère en avaient la charge, ainsi que la charge de sa sœur aînée.
J’en dirai davantage à cet égard ci-après. [23] Le Ministre était aussi préoccupé par les résultats d’une vérification du casier judiciaire, qui faisait état de déclarations de culpabilité en 1996, 2000 et 2006.
La politique du Ministère ne permet pas que des personnes déclarées coupables à l’égard de certaines infractions deviennent parents nourriciers d’enfants qui sont sous la charge du Ministre (ou qu’elles les adoptent). [24] Le grand-père a témoigné à l’audition de sa motion visant à obtenir la garde provisoire, mais sa demande a été rejetée et O. est restée sous la charge du Ministre en attendant l’audition des demandes.
Le tribunal a ordonné qu’une audience de trois jours soit fixée en mars 2020. [25] Lors d’une conférence préparatoire au procès tenue en février 2020, le Ministre a indiqué qu’il ne demandait plus [TRADUCTION] « une évaluation psychologique comprenant une évaluation de la capacité de parentage » en vertu de l’
article 8 de la
Loi sur les services à la famille et de l’article 11.4 de la
Loi sur l’organisation judiciaire , L.R.N.-B. 1973, ch. J-2. Il ne ressort pas clairement du dossier si [TRADUCTION] « l’évaluation psychologique comprenant une évaluation de la capacité de parentage » vise [TRADUCTION] « l’évaluation familiale et l’évaluation de la capacité de parentage » qui avaient été ordonnées en août 2019 ou s’il s’agit d’une évaluation distincte envisagée relativement à la demande de tutelle faite par le Ministre. [26] Malheureusement, la pandémie de la COVID a obligé le tribunal à reporter le procès. En juin, le procès a été fixé au mois d’août 2020. D.
L’audience [27] Au cours d’une audience qui a duré quatre jours, la mère a témoigné à l’appui de la demande du grand-père, comme l’a fait sa sœur aînée et un proche ami du grand-père. Ils ont tous déclaré que ce dernier était apte à s’occuper d’O. [28] Le grand-père, qui est né en Alberta en 1974, a témoigné qu’il avait eu une enfance difficile, passant la majeure
partie de cette période en famille d’accueil, y compris une période dans une unité de psychiatrie. Il a expliqué que c’est en
partie la raison pour laquelle il fait autant d’efforts pour éviter qu’O. soit enlevée à sa famille. [29] Il a rencontré la grand-mère d’O. vers 1997, alors qu’il avait environ 23 ans. Peu après, celle-ci et sa fille de 7 ou 8 ans, K. (née en août 1990), ont emménagé avec lui. Ils ont eu leur premier enfant ensemble en décembre 1999, lorsque la mère est née. Une autre fille, N., est née en mars 2002.
[30] Comme nous l’avons indiqué, dans ses moyens d’appel, le grand-père conteste l’évaluation que la juge a faite du patrimoine culturel d’O. Il affirme être un Autochtone, ayant obtenu un certificat de son statut en avril 2019. La grand-mère est Afro- Américaine. [31] On ne conteste pas le fait que, lorsque leurs filles étaient jeunes, la grand-mère et le grand-père ont suscité des préoccupations légitimes concernant les soins donnés à leurs filles et le piteux état de leur maison.
Voici un résumé des interventions des services à l’enfance en Alberta pendant que la grand-mère et le grand-père avaient la charge conjointe de leurs filles : • En mai 2000, l’intervention des services à l’enfance a été provoquée par des préoccupations concernant le fait que K., qui n’avait alors que 9 ans, s’occupait de la mère, qui n’avait alors que cinq mois, et le fait que K. était enfermée dans sa chambre et contusionnée. On soupçonnait aussi que les parents vendaient des drogues à partir de leur maison et consommaient des drogues alors qu’ils avaient la charge des enfants.
Le piteux état de la maison et l’hygiène des enfants étaient aussi des préoccupations importantes. Plus tard cette même année, le grand-père a été déclaré coupable de possession (d’une substance désigné
e) en vue d’en faire le trafic et, à une autre occasion, de vol (de moins de 5 000 $). • En avril 2001, la grand-mère a demandé aux services à l’enfance de fournir de l’aide à l’égard de K., dont elle trouvait le comportement impossible à gérer, tant à l’école qu’à la maison. Les services à la famille ont pris K. en charge pendant quelques semaines, mais, quelques semaines plus tard, les deux enfants ont été prises en charge d’urgence.
K. n’est pas retournée à la maison avant décembre 2001 et, à partir de ce moment-là jusqu’en juin 2002, une ordonnance de surveillance était en vigueur. • En mars 2002, peu après la naissance de N., une autre enquête a été initiée à la suite de préoccupations touchant le soin des enfants et l’état de la maison. Cette enquête a mené à un accord de soutien. • En mai 2005, les services à l’enfance sont intervenus à la suite d’allégations que la grand-mère se battait physiquement avec K. (alors âgée de près de 15 ans) et que le grand-père consommait des drogues.
L’enquête a également soulevé des préoccupations quant au soin de tous les enfants. L’intervention a continué jusqu’en septembre. [32] Le grand-père a témoigné que lui et la grand-mère se sont séparés vers 2004 ou 2005, alors qu’il a quitté la maison. Les trois filles ont toutes continué à vivre avec la grand-mère. Elles auraient alors eu environ quinze, cinq et trois ans. [33] À la suite de la séparation, le grand-père a connu ce qu’il a qualifié de [TRADUCTION] « problèmes importants ».
Il consommait régulièrement du crack et, vers la fin de 2006, il a été déclaré coupable d’infractions criminelles multiples et, à l’âge de 34 ans, il a été condamné à une peine d’emprisonnement d’environ six ans.
Il a témoigné qu’il avait participé au vol de chargements de camion et que lui et un complice avaient été embauchés pour enlever et tuer une personne que l’on soupçonnait de parler trop ouvertement d’activités criminelles; ils ont toutefois décidé de lui laisser la vie sauve et ont plutôt monté son meurtre, menti à cet égard et perçu les honoraires de 25 000 $ pour l’affaire. [34] En 2010, il a été mis en liberté dans une maison de transition. Plus tard dans l’année, il a obtenu un appartement et, peu après, la grand-mère lui a confié leurs deux filles cadettes.
Lorsqu’il est devenu leur pourvoyeur principal de soins, la mère avait 11 ans et N. avait 8 ans. Leur fille aînée, K., était déjà
partie de chez sa mère. Elle aurait été âgée d’environ 20 ans et, semble-t-il, avait vers cette époque un enfant à elle. [35] Un élément important de la preuve présentée à l’audition de la demande était le rôle du grand-père en tant que pourvoyeur principal de soins de la mère et de N. [36] Il a témoigné que la prison l’avait redressé et qu’il est depuis une autre personne. Il a insisté sur le fait que, depuis qu’il est devenu l’unique pourvoyeur de soins de ses deux plus jeunes filles à la suite de sa remise en liberté, il est resté sobre, n’a eu aucun démêlé avec la justice et a un emploi.
Il a travaillé comme opérateur de grue et il travaille actuellement comme camionneur. Son revenu fluctue; le dossier indique qu’il a gagné 80 000 $ une année, mais que son revenu a baissé à 40 000 $ l’année suivante. [37] Le grand-père a aussi témoigné que, immédiatement après avoir assumé la charge de ses filles, il s’est occupé du piètre état de leur hygiène, qui était une des préoccupations des services à l’enfance lorsque les grands-parents vivaient ensemble, et il s’est occupé de leurs besoins en matière de santé et de soins dentaires. Il les a aussi fait évaluer pour ce qui concerne leur éducation.
[38] Le grand-père a décrit ses tentatives de retirer ses filles de leur ancien quartier, où les abus de drogues et d’alcool étaient répandus, et de leur offrir un environnement plus sain. Avec l’aide d’Habitat pour l’Humanité, il a obtenu une nouvelle maison dans une nouvelle collectivité.
Il s’est organisé pour qu’elles participent à des camps d’été parrainés par la Fondation Tim Horton et qu’elles visitent Disneyland, en Californie, avec l’aide d’un organisme sans but lucratif. [39] Le grand-père a fait face à des difficultés lorsqu’il a élevé la mère et sa plus jeune sœur, difficultés que lui et la mère ont reconnues lors de leurs témoignages, et les services à l’enfance sont parfois intervenus : • En avril 2011, une enquête a été menée par suite d’une déclaration de la part de N. que le grand-père [TRADUCTION] « les frappait [elle et la mère] à la tête » pour les discipliner.
Bien qu’il y ait eu des discussions avec lui au sujet du caractère inapproprié de ces formes de discipline et qu’il ait refusé d’accepter les services qui lui étaient offerts, une intervention plus poussée n’a pas été jugée nécessaire. • En juillet 2013, les services à l’enfance ont mené une enquête en raison d’une crainte que la mère, à l’âge de 13 ans, avait des rapports sexuels pour obtenir de la marijuana. Il en est résulté une enquête sous le régime de la loi intitulée Protection of Sexually Exploited Children Act , R.S.A. 2000, ch. P-30.3 .
Une enquête semblable avait été menée à l’égard de K. lorsque celle-ci était sous la charge de la grand-mère. Les services à l’enfance n’ont pas communiqué avec le grand-père au sujet de cette enquête, et il a témoigné qu’il ne savait pas qu’elle avait eu lieu. • En mars 2015, une enquête a eu lieu par suite d’une déclaration de la mère indiquant que, depuis un certain nombre d’années, le grand-père [TRADUCTION] « la frappe à la tête » lorsqu’il est en colère. Elle a expliqué qu’elle n’a jamais été blessée par ces actes et ne craignait pas qu’ils empirent.
Bien que l’on ait conclu que cette forme de discipline n’était pas acceptable, aucune mesure n’a été prise. [40] Le grand-père et la mère ont tous deux témoigné du désir de celle-ci de passer plus de temps chez sa mère à elle, dans l’ancien quartier, où il n’y avait essentiellement aucune restriction à ses activités. Elle séchait des cours pour passer du temps avec des amis et fumer de la marijuana. Lorsque la mère avait 15 ou 16 ans, elle passait beaucoup de temps chez sa mère.
Le grand-père et la mère ont aussi tous deux témoigné que cette dernière avait des rapports difficiles, pleins de ressentiment, avec sa plus jeune sœur, puisque, contrairement à elle-même, N. suivait les règles de la maison imposées par le grand-père. Le grand-père a témoigné qu’il n’arrivait pas à contraindre la mère à rester chez lui ou à suivre les règles. À son avis, c’était attribuable, au moins en partie, au fait qu’elle était trop âgée. Il n’approuvait pas non plus la relation de la mère avec le père; il a toutefois indiqué qu’il n’y pouvait rien.
À son avis, la grand-mère n’a pas prêté attention au fait que le père fournissait de la drogue à la mère ni à la relation malsaine entre les deux. [41] Le grand-père, K. et la mère ont tous témoigné que la grand-mère était violente physiquement et que, lorsqu’ils étaient tous ensemble, elle était responsable du piètre état de leur hygiène et de l’état de leur maison. E. La décision de la juge saisie de la demande [42] Dans ses motifs de jugement, la juge saisie de la demande a abordé séparément chacun des facteurs énumérés dans la définition du terme « intérêt supérieur de l’enfant » à l’
article 1 de la
Loi sur les services à la famille . Comme il est souvent le cas, certains facteurs militaient en faveur de la demande de garde présentée par le grand-père, alors que ce n’était pas le cas pour d’autres facteurs. Elle a accepté la preuve indiquant que le grand-père a la capacité financière de s’occuper d’O., en lui offrant notamment un foyer convenable, et que sa participation à des activités criminelles était chose du passé et ne faisait plus
partie de sa vie. Elle n’était toutefois pas convaincue que la preuve démontrait qu’il était apte à parenter sa très jeune petite-fille; elle n’était pas non plus convaincue que le plan qu’il proposait pour la garde d’O. était dans l’intérêt supérieur de celle-ci.
Les conclusions et les préoccupations de la juge à cet égard sont reflétées dans son appréciation de la preuve de la capacité [du grand-père] de répondre aux besoins d’O. en termes de « santé mentale, affective et physique » : [TRADUCTION] [Le grand-père] a présenté des éléments de preuve fiables relativement à sa capacité d’offrir un abri convenable à [O]. Il a une maison qui convient, une chambre pour O. et la capacité de subvenir financièrement à ses besoins.
La preuve [du grand-père] quant à sa capacité, à sa compréhension et à sa perspective en ce qui concerne le bien-être affectif et mental d’un enfant ayant l’âge d’O. est insuffisante. Je suis consciente que [le grand-père] a suivi des cours de parentage, mais son témoignage quant aux compétences et aux connaissances qu’il a acquises durant ces cours n’était pas convaincant. Étant donné que [le grand-père] a présenté des éléments de preuve limités quant à sa capacité de parenter O., il est permis à la Cour de s’appuyer sur [ses] antécédents parentaux.
En tant que parent de trois enfants, [il] a été incapable de fournir, de façon constante, un niveau de soins approprié à ses jeunes filles, en particulier K. et [la mère]. La preuve indique clairement que de multiples interventions en matière de protection de l’enfance ont été nécessaires pour protéger les enfants contre la violence et la négligence à leur égard, et que ces interventions ne visaient pas seulement [la grand-mère], mais [lui] aussi. K. , la fille aînée du [grand-père], a témoigné au sujet de la violence et de la négligence qu’elle a subies durant son enfance.
Selon son propre témoignage, [le grand-père] a peu fait pour protéger K. [Il] ne réagissait pas et était indifférent à l’égard du préjudice physique et psychologique infligé à ses enfants. Il a négligé de les protéger et a choisi de rester passif. Le fait qu’[il] était resté sans rien faire pour empêcher [la grand-mère] de maltraiter K. et [la mère] me préoccupe.
Le fait qu’[il] dise nonchalamment à la Cour qu’il ne soit pas intervenu parce qu’il n’était pas le père biologique de K. ou parce qu’il travaillait de longues heures et que c’était [la grand-mère] qui s’occupait d’élever les enfants est déconcertant et sonne creux. L’absence de responsabilisation dont [le grand-père] fait preuve démontre qu’il se souciait bien peu de la détresse éprouvée par ses enfants.
Notre Cour doit confier la garde d’O. à une personne qui veut la protéger et qui ne reste pas indifférente à l’égard de sa santé physique, mentale ou affective et des besoins qu’elle a de soins et de traitement convenables. Je suis consciente que K. et [la mère] ont dit à la Cour que [le grand-père] ne devrait aucunement porter le blâme pour la violence et la détresse qu’elles ont subies lorsqu’elles étaient enfants, puisqu’elles sont attribuables à leur mère. Leurs croyances ne me convainquent pas.
À mon avis, l’incapacité ou la réticence [du grand-père] de protéger ses enfants, son indifférence et sa déresponsabilisation à l’égard de ses gestes et de son inaction doivent être prises en compte dans ma décision quant à sa capacité de s’occuper du bien- être d’O. Je suis sensible au fait que l’aptitude au parentage passée n’est pas toujours un indicateur de l’aptitude au parentage future, mais les antécédents en matière de parentage doivent être évalués et examinés. […] […] Quant au passé criminel [du grand-père], je reconnais qu’[il] semble avoir abandonné la vie de crime il y a environ 14 ans.
Il semble que le temps passé en prison l’a mené vers une réadaptation positive.
Même s’[il] accepte une certaine responsabilité quant aux crimes qu’il a commis, il semble n’en accepter que très peu quant à ses antécédents en matière de parentage. [Soulignement et gras ajoutés; par. 102 à 108 et 111] [43] Les conclusions et les préoccupations de la juge sont aussi reflétées dans son appréciation de la capacité du grand-père de répondre « au besoin pour l’enfant d’être en sécurité, dans un milieu qui lui permette de réaliser pleinement son potentiel, selon ses aptitudes personnelles et, ce faisant, de devenir membre utile et productif de la société ».
Elle a dit ce qui suit : [TRADUCTION] [Le grand-père] ne communiquait pas ouvertement au sujet des diverses interventions de la part des autorités chargées de la protection de l’enfance qui ont eu lieu peu de temps après qu’il a formé une famille avec [la grand-mère] et alors qu’il était le pourvoyeur principal de soins pour [la mère] et N. Il a donné peu de détails quant à ce qui s’est passé au juste. Il a minimisé et en quelque sorte normalisé ces interventions pour lesquelles il avait fallu, à l’époque, avoir recours aux tribunaux.
Il a écarté les préoccupations légitimes et graves des services à l’enfance de l’Alberta ayant trait aux révélations faites par les enfants en 2011, en 2013 et en 2015. Il faisait quelque peu preuve d’indifférence, dans son témoignage, à l’égard de ce que les enfants avaient dit, ainsi que de leurs sentiments et de leur bien-être. Je ne suis pas convaincue qu’O. sera en sécurité si elle est confiée à la charge [du grand-père]. J’ai déjà discuté longuement du fait qu’[il] a omis de protéger ses enfants contre tout préjudice et contre les risques de préjudice.
Il a aussi permis à [la mère] de déménager chez [la grand-mère], lorsqu’elle était une adolescente impossible à maîtriser, tout en sachant que [la grand-mère] était incapable de
s’occuper de [la mère] et de jouer le rôle de parent à son égard. Je me préoccupe aussi de la fragilité et de l’instabilité de la dynamique familiale [du grand-père]. Si la garde d’O. lui était confiée, elle se joindrait à une famille marquée par un traumatisme continu. Les témoignages de K. et de [la mère] indiquent clairement qu’elles n’ont toujours pas guéri d’événements traumatiques passés.
Enfin, je me préoccupe du fait que [le grand-père] n’était pas certain s’il allait permettre à [la grand-mère] de jouer un rôle dans la vie d’O., sachant qu’elle avait maltraité ses filles. [Soulignement et gras ajoutés; par. 122 à 125] [44] Bien que la juge ait aussi pris en compte le patrimoine culturel d’O. et les conséquences de couper les liens d’O. avec sa famille de naissance, en fin de compte, elle n’a pas retenu l’argument selon lequel l’attribution de la garde d’O. au grand- père était dans son intérêt supérieur. III.
Analyse [45] À mon avis, l’appel interjeté par le grand-père visait une réévaluation de la preuve par notre Cour. Bien qu’il ait formulé des moyens d’appel distincts, aucun d’entre eux ne relève une erreur de droit ou une erreur manifeste et dominante dans l’analyse faite par la juge.
Essentiellement, l’appel nous demandait de reconnaître que les facteurs qui militaient en faveur de sa demande de garde auraient dû amener la juge à conclure que lui confier la garde était dans l’intérêt supérieur d’O. [46] La norme de contrôle applicable dans les affaires touchant la garde et la protection de l’enfance oblige les cours d’appel à faire preuve d’une grande retenue envers la décision rendue par le juge de première instance.
Les décisions portant sur la garde obligent les tribunaux à examiner un certain nombre de facteurs, en fonction de circonstances factuelles uniques, afin d’arriver à un résultat qui est dans l’intérêt supérieur de l’enfant. Les cours d’appel ne doivent pas refaire cette analyse; la portée de la révision en appel est restreinte (voir Van de Perre c. Edwards , 2001 CSC 60 , [2001] 2 R.C.S. 1014 , par. 10 et 11 ).
La Cour ne peut intervenir que si elle conclut que la décision de la juge de première instance était fondée sur une erreur de droit ou comportait une erreur importante dans l’appréciation des faits (voir S.B. c. Le Ministre des Services familiaux et communautaires , 2006 NBCA 41 , [2006] A.N.-B. n o 167 (QL) , par. 3 ). A.
L’appréciation par la juge de la preuve touchant les antécédents de parentage et la situation actuelle du grand-père [47] Le grand-père soutient que la juge a commis une erreur de droit ou a mal apprécié la preuve en accordant trop d’importance à ses antécédents de parentage et en n’accordant pas assez d’importance à sa situation actuelle et à sa capacité actuelle de parenter O.
En outre, il prétend que la juge n’aurait pas dû accorder autant d’importance [TRADUCTION] « à ses antécédents et à sa conduite passée » sans exiger que le Ministre fasse [TRADUCTION] « l’évaluation familiale et l’évaluation de la capacité de parentage » qui avaient été ordonnées, mais qui n’ont pas été faites. [48] La prise en compte des antécédents de parentage dans les affaires de garde ou de protection de l’enfance ne constitue pas une erreur de droit. En effet, le grand-père ne prétend pas qu’il était interdit à la juge de le faire (voir S.H. et M.D. c.
La ministre du développement social , 2014 NBCA 20 , 419 R.N.-B. (2 e ) 377 (demande d’autorisation de pourvoi rejetée dans S.H. c. Nouveau-Brunswick (Ministre du Développement social) , [2014] C.S.C.R. n o 322 (QL); J.F. c. Newfoundland and Labrador (Child, Youth and Family Services) , 2013 NLCA 55 , [2013] N.J. No. 372 (QL) ; Nova Scotia (Community Services) c. S.Z. , 1999 NSCA 155 , [1999] N.S.J. No. 426 (QL) ; K.L.M. c. Nova Scotia (Community Services) , 2007 NSCA 100 , [2007] N.S.J. No. 411 (QL) ; S.A.D. c. Nova Scotia (Community Services) , 2014 NSCA 77 , [2014] N.S.J. No.