2022 NBCA 15, 2022 NBCA 15
Opinion
COURT OF APPEAL OF COUR D’APPEL DU NEW BRUNSWICK NOUVEAU-BRUNSWICK 123-21-CA COOPERATORS GENERAL INSURANCE COMPANY and UNIFUND ASSURANCE COMPANY APPELLANTS COMPAGNIE D’ASSURANCE GÉNÉRALE CO-OPERATORS et UNIFUND ASSURANCE COMPANY APPELANTES - and - - et - BERNADETTE MARTIN RESPONDENT - and - ESTATE OF PIERRETTE LANDRY, deceased, and PEMBRIDGE INSURANCE COMPANY RESPONDENTS BERNADETTE MARTIN INTIMÉE - et - SUCCESSION DE FEU PIERRETTE LANDRY et PEMBRIDGE, COMPAGNIE D’ASSURANCE INTIMÉES Cooperators General Insurance Company et al. v.
Martin et al., 2022 NBCA 15 CORAM: The Honourable Justice Green The Honourable Justice French The Honourable Justice LeBlond Compagnie d’assurance générale Co-operators et autre c. Martin et autres, 2022 NBCA 15 CORAM : l’honorable juge Green l’honorable juge French l’honorable juge LeBlond Appeal from a decision of the Court of Queen’s Bench: October 29, 2021 Appel d’une décision de la Cour du Banc de la Reine : le 29 octobre 2021 History of Case: Historique de la cause : Decision under appeal: 2021 NBQB 236 Décision frappée d’appel : 2021 NBBR 236
Preliminary or incidental proceedings: None Procédures préliminaires ou accessoires : aucune Appeal heard: February 23, 2022 Appel entendu : le 23 février 2022 Judgment rendered: April 28, 2022 Jugement rendu : le 28 avril 2022 Reasons for judgment by: The Honourable Justice LeBlond Concurred in by: The Honourable Justice Green The Honourable Justice French Counsel at hearing: For the appellants: Darren Glyn Blois and Molly C.H. Hall For the respondent Bernadette Martin: Robert R. Goguen, Q.C. For the respondent Estate of Pierrette Landry: Hélène L. Beaulieu, Q.C.
For the respondent Pembridge Insurance Company: Chantal A. Thibodeau, Q.C., and Marie-Pier Cyr Motifs de jugement : l’honorable juge LeBlond Souscrivent aux motifs : l’honorable juge Green l’honorable juge French Avocats à l’audience : Pour les appelantes : Darren Glyn Blois et Molly C.H. Hall Pour l’intimée Bernadette Martin: Robert R. Goguen, c.r. Pour l’intimée la succession de Pierrette Landry : Hélène L. Beaulieu, c.r. Pour l’intimée Pembridge Insurance Company : Chantal A.
Thibodeau, c.r., et Marie-Pier Cyr THE COURT The appeal is dismissed with one set of costs in the amount of $4,000 payable by the appellants to the respondent Pembridge. LA COUR L’appel est rejeté et les appelantes sont condamnées à verser des dépens de 4 000 $, en une seule masse, à l’intimée Pembridge. The judgment of the Court was delivered by LEBLOND, J.A.
I. Introduction [1] This appeal concerns the
interpretation of s. 250(11) of the Insurance Act, R.S.N.B. 1973, c. I-12 (the “Act”),and, particularly, whether the defence an insurer may assert against an insured under that subsection may rest on the public policy ruleset out in s. 2 of the Act. The appellants argue s. 2 does not create a defence available to the insurer under s. 250(11), whereas therespondent Pembridge Insurance Company argues it does. [2] On December 1, 2014, the respondent Bernadette Martin was in a motor vehicle accident involving PierretteLandry and other parties. The collision was caused by Ms. Landry. Ms.
Martin applied to the Court of Queen’s Bench seeking, first, adeclaratory order pursuant to Rule 27.06(11) of the Rules of Court holding that Pembridge was liable to its insured, the Estate of PierretteLandry, to provide it with insurance coverage up to the full one-million-dollar Pembridge policy limit in response to claims brought bythird parties, including Ms. Martin, for losses or damages suffered as a result of the accident. [3] In the alternative, pursuant to Rule 16.04(e), Ms.
Martin sought a determination of the maximum amount ofcoverage available under the Pembridge policy for the third-party losses or damages. [4] The application judge granted the appellants leave to intervene. Cooperators General Insurance Companyinsured Ms. Martin at the time of the accident, and Unifund Assurance Company insured another claimant, Donald Rose. A thirdclaimant, Jacqueline Blanchard, is insured by Economical Insurance, but they did not take
part in the application below. Co-op arguedthe position taken by itself, Ms. Martin and Unifund, both in the application below and on appeal before this Court. [5] In a decision reported at 2021 NBQB 236, [2021] N.B.J. No. 278 (QL), the application judge held Pembridgecould avail itself of any defence it could set up against its insured, Ms.
Landry, which includes the defence created by s. 2, as against thethird-party claimants, Martin, Rose and Blanchard, with respect to any portion of the aggregate of their claims that exceeds the minimumstatutory limit of $200,000 mandated by s. 243 of the Act (paras. 49 and 50). [6] Co-op and Unifund appeal on the principal ground the application judge erred in law in her
interpretation ofss. 2 and 250(11) of the Act. There is no appeal of the finding s. 2 constitutes a complete defence for Pembridge vis-à-vis its insured, Ms.Landry. [7] I agree with the application judge. I would dismiss the appeal with one set of costs in the amount of $4,000payable by the appellants to the respondent Pembridge. The respondent Ms. Martin is insured by Co-op and, to the extent she took noposition on the appeal other than to continue with her support of her insurer’s position, I would not award her any costs, nor order her topay any. II. Factual context [8] On December 1, 2014, Ms.
Landry set out to commit suicide by deliberately crossing the centre line of ahighway and colliding with two oncoming vehicles in which Ms. Martin, Mr. Rose and Ms. Blanchard were occupants. She failed in herattempt and was convicted of the criminal offence of impaired driving causing bodily harm. She passed away in 2019. The applicationjudge found there was no doubt the collision resulted from Ms. Landry’s actions (para. 35). She also found the damage that flowed fromher deliberate act “cannot be said to be unexpected or unusual” (para 39).
She therefore found there was no need for Pembridge toprovide further proof its insured intended to “bring about loss or damage” to third parties (para. 36). Again, I agree. I also note theappellants’ concession in their written submission to the Court that Ms. Landry’s indirect intention of causing harm to the occupants ofthe vehicles she struck can be imputed to her in accordance with the principle established by the Supreme Court in Co-operative Fire &Cas Co. v. Saindon, (SCC), [1976] 1 S.C.R. 735, [1975] S.C.J.
No. 52 (QL). [9] All three third-party claimants have pending actions against the Landry Estate seeking to recover damages fortheir losses and injuries. The aggregate quantum of these claims is not known but is expected to exceed $200,000. All three claimants arecovered by their respective SPF No. 1 Standard Auto Policies, and each policy carries a
Section A Third Party Liability limit of onemillion dollars. All three policies feature a NBEF 44 Family Protection Endorsement with the same one-million-dollar limit. [10] Pembridge has denied coverage to the Landry Estate for any claim it might have under the Pembridge policy. It
is defending the three actions commenced against Ms. Landry pursuant to its duty to defend and has served notice to all three claimants of its position that it is not liable to indemnify Ms. Landry’s estate with respect to the aggregate of the claims beyond the minimum statutory limit of $200,000. It grounds its position on the fact that, at the time of the collision, Ms. Landry was committing a criminal offence or breaching a statute in effect in New Brunswick with the intent to bring about loss or damage. The claimants do not dispute this. As a result, Pembridge has invoked and relies upon the public policy rule set out in s. 2 of the Act . It argues an insurer can raise this
section as a defence to any third-party claims exceeding, in the aggregate in this case, the minimum statutory limit of $200,000 mandated by s. 243 of the Act . It further argues it can do this because of the combined operation of ss. 2 and 250(1) , (4) and (11) of the Act . [ 11 ] No appeal is taken of the application judge’s decision that Pembridge has the right to avail itself of s. 2 to deny indemnity to its own insured for any of her or her estate’s losses.
However, the appellants argue that defence is not available to Pembridge with respect to third-party claims above the $200,000 minimum statutory limit, as noted above. [ 12 ] As a result of the defence Pembridge has raised, all three claimants have commenced separate actions against their respective insurers pursuant to the NBEF 44 provisions of their policies to protect their positions should the total claims exceed the minimum statutory limit. [ 13 ] The application before the Court of Queen’s Bench was filed to determine the issue before significant legal costs were incurred in all these actions. III.
Grounds of Appeal [ 14 ] The appellants argue the application judge erred in law: 1. In finding Pembridge’s liability to the third-party claimants was limited to $200,000; 2. In finding s. 2 of the Insurance Act provided Pembridge with a defence it could set up against the third-party claimants; and 3. If she found the s. 2 defence is the fortuity principle, in finding it is applicable in the face of the plain wording of
Section A of the Standard Auto Policy. IV. Standard of Review [ 15 ] All three grounds relate to statutory
interpretation, which is reviewable on the standard of correctness. V. Analysis [ 16 ] I will address the first two grounds together. [ 17 ] The relevant provisions of the Act are as follows: Public policy rule 2 Unless the contract otherwise provides, a violation of any criminal or other law in force Règle d’ordre public 2 Sauf dispositions contraires dans le contrat, la violation de toute loi criminelle ou autre,
in the Province or elsewhere does not, ipso facto , render unenforceable a claim for indemnity under a contract of insurance except where the violation is committed by the insured , or by another person with the consent of the insured, with intent to bring about loss or damage ; but in the case of a contract of life insurance this
section applies only to disability insurance undertaken as part of the contract. Insurance money payable to satisfy judgment 250
(1) Any person who has a claim against an insured for which indemnity is provided by a contract evidenced by a motor vehicle liability policy, notwithstanding that such person is not a party to the contract, may, upon recovering a judgment therefor in any province or territory of Canada against the insured, have the insurance money payable under the contract applied in or towards satisfaction of his judgment and of any other judgments or claims against the insured covered by the contract and may, on behalf of himself and all persons having such judgments or claims, maintain an action against the insurer to have the insurance money so applied. 250
(4) The right of a person who is entitled under subsection (1) to have insurance money applied upon his judgment or claim is not prejudiced by , (
a) an assignment, waiver, surrender, cancellation or discharge of the contract, or of any interest therein or of the proceeds thereof, made by the insurer after the happening of the event giving rise to a claim under the contract, (
b) any act or default of the insured before or after that event in contravention of this Part or of the terms of the contract, or (
c) any contravention of the Criminal Code ,
chapter C-34 of the Revised Statutes of Canada, 1970, or a statute of any province or territory of Canada or of any state or the District of Columbia of the United States of America by the owner or driver of the automobile , en vigueur dans la province ou ailleurs, ne rend pas ipso facto inexécutoire une demande de règlement aux termes d’un contrat d’assurance, sauf lorsque la violation est commise par l’assuré ou par toute autre personne avec son consentement, avec l’intention de provoquer une perte ou un dommage ; cependant, dans un contrat d’assurance sur la vie, cet
article ne s’applique qu’à l’assurance-invalidité souscrite comme
partie du contrat. Sommes assurées payables pour satisfaire jugement 250
(1) Toute personne qui formule contre un assuré une demande pour laquelle une indemnité est prévue par un contrat constaté par une police de responsabilité automobile peut, bien qu’elle ne soit pas
partie au contrat et lorsqu’un jugement dans cette affaire est rendu contre l’accusé en sa faveur dans toute province ou tout territoire du Canada, faire affecter les sommes assurées payables aux termes du contrat à la satisfaction du jugement rendu ainsi que de tous les autres jugements ou demandes contre l’assuré couvert par le contrat et peut, en son nom propre et au nom de toutes les personnes ayant ces demandes ou ces jugements, intenter contre l’assureur une action en vue de faire ainsi affecter ces sommes assurées. 250
(4) Le droit d’un tiers qui peut réclamer en application du paragraphe (1) que les sommes assurées soient affectées au règlement de son jugement ou de sa demande n’est en rien lésé par
a) une cession, un abandon, un rachat, une annulation ou une exécution du contrat, d’un droit dans celui-ci ou de ses bénéfices, effectués par l’assureur postérieurement à la survenance de l’événement provoquant la demande couverte par le contrat,
b) tout acte ou défaut de l’assuré avant ou après cet événement, en violation de la présente
partie ou des termes du contrat, ni
c) toute infraction au Code criminel ,
chapitre C-34 des Statuts revisés du Canada de 1970, aux lois d’une province ou d’un territoire du Canada , ou du district de Columbia ou d’un État des États-Unis d’Amérique, commise par le propriétaire ou le conducteur de l’automobile , et l’assureur ne peut se prévaloir des points mentionnés aux alinéas a),
b) ou
c) comme
and nothing mentioned in paragraph (a), (
b) or (
c) is available to the insurer as a defence in an action brought under subsection (1) . 250
(11) Where one or more contracts provide for coverage in excess of the limits mentioned in
section 243 , the insurer may, (
a) with respect to the coverage in excess of those limits, and (
b) as against a claimant, avail itself of any defence that it is entitled to set up against the insured, notwithstanding subsection (4) . [Emphasis added.] moyen de défense dans une action intentée en vertu du paragraphe (1) . 250
(11) Lorsqu’un ou plusieurs contrats fournissent une couverture supérieure aux limites mentionnées à l’
article 243 , l’assureur peut ,
a) relativement à la couverture qui excède ces limites, et
b) à l’encontre d’un demandeur, se prévaloir des moyens de défense qu’il a le droit d’opposer à l’assuré, nonobstant le paragraphe (4) . [Le soulignement est de moi.] [ 18 ] The Standard Auto Policy is a contract of indemnity between the insurer and its insured. With the limited exception mentioned below, its primary purpose is not to “protect” third party claimants.
Section A of the policy provides coverage to the insured for any liability imposed by law on the insured for loss or damage caused to third parties arising from the insured’s ownership, use or operation of the insured vehicle, up to the limit of coverage stated in the policy.
Section 243 of the Act mandates that this limit must be a minimum of $200,000, and s. 17.1(1) of the Motor Vehicle Act , R.S.N.B. 1973, c M-17 , requires every motor vehicle registered in New Brunswick to carry, at a minimum, $200,000 of coverage. While that provision arguably benefits third-party claimants, the fact remains the policy is strictly one of indemnity for the protection of the insured. [ 19 ] However, the NBEF 44 is clearly designed to provide “protection” coverage to a claimant who sustains loss or damage caused by an individual with insufficient
Section A coverage to cover the claim. To the extent such a claimant’s own
Section A limit exceeds the at-fault party’s
Section A coverage, that claimant can recover the difference from his/her own insurer under the NBEF 44 endorsement up to its limit. [ 20 ] A third-party claimant’s entitlement to recover from the insurer of the at-fault party is governed by s. 250 of the Act . However, that
section imposes certain limits to the right of recovery. [ 21 ] First, s. 250(1) states a claimant can recover from the insurer only up to the
Section A limit of indemnity set out in the at-fault party’s policy. In this case, as noted, the Landry policy has a
Section A limit of $1,000,000. However, because of the facts of this case, the analysis does not end here. [ 22 ] It is not disputed, and the application judge accepted, that Ms. Landry breached the Motor Vehicle Act and the Criminal Code in operating her motor vehicle as she did at the material time. Her actions can only be viewed as having intended to cause loss or damage. As a result, and as against her as its insured, Pembridge denied her right to claim indemnity on the ground she had breached the public policy rule codified by s. 2 of the Act as she had acted illegally.
However, pursuant to s. 250(4) , these facts do not deprive the third parties of their right to recover against Pembridge under s. 250(1) and, absent s. 250(11), none of these facts would be available to Pembridge as a defence to claims by those parties under s. 250(1).
But for s. 250(11) , the analysis would end here. [ 23 ] The appellants argue the statutory scheme established by s. 250 renders insurers liable to third parties for all injuries arising from the ownership, use or operation of a motor vehicle, including those arising from an insured’s intentional acts, to the full extent of the insured’s policy limits because the Standard Auto Policy does not provide for any exclusion of coverage for intentional acts. That argument ignores the purpose of s. 250(11) . [ 24 ] Section 250(11) (along with ss. 250(9) and (10)) sets out a limit to the s. 250(1) recovery right.
Notwithstanding s. 250(4), s. 250(11) entitles an insurer to deny payment to a claimant of any amount exceeding the s. 243 minimumlimit of $200,000 if the insurer elects to avail itself, as against the claimant, of any defence it is entitled to set up against its insured. Asagainst the claimant, those defences are not limited to the ones set out in s. 250(4) but encompass any defence. This includes the defenceestablished by s. 2, which, once again, is not disputed by the appellants as being available to Pembridge against its insured, Ms.
Landry. [25] The application judge’s decision is consistent with the above analysis and with our Court’s previousinterpretation of these provisions. In The Co-operators General Insurance Company v. Morrison, 2004 NBCA 62, 273 N.B.R. (2d) 361,a duty to defend case, s. 2 was in play. The Court referred to the Ontario Superior Court’s decision in Joachin v. Abel, [2002] O.J. No.2869 (QL), which was confirmed by the Court of Appeal for Ontario at (ON CA), [2003] O.J. No. 1484 (QL)(C.A.).
It was held in Morrison that the public policy rule contained in s. 2 of the Act negated an insured’s right to indemnity from theinsurer where the insured committed an intentional tort with the intent of causing loss or damage (paras. 16 and 49). The Standard AutoPolicy is subject to the public policy rule contained in s. 2 as the latter applies to all contracts of insurance in New Brunswick. The Courtheld the rule is to be treated as an exclusionary clause under the policy, notwithstanding it is not specifically stated in the policy as anexclusion (para. 17). [26] In the earlier decision of MacDonald v.
Prudential Assurance Co. Ltd. (1972), (NB CA), 4N.B.R. (2d) 87, [1971] N.B.J. No. 80 (S.C.A.D.) (QL), the Court discussed the legislative intent which led to s. 250(4). In that case, aninsured had committed a Criminal Code violation while operating his motor vehicle, which caused loss and damage to the plaintiff. Atthe time, the iteration of the current version of s. 250(4) was s. 211(3)(iii). The Court held that that section, vis-à-vis a claimant, wasdesigned so as “[t]o ensure that his claim shall not be defeated by the conduct of the insured […] the Legislature has seen fit to enact [s.211(3)] […]” (at p. 94).
The Court held further that with this language, “[…] the Legislature intended to deprive insurers of the benefit ofthe principle of public policy defined in
section 2, and to ensure that a plaintiff making a claim under section 211(1) [now s. 250(1)]should not be deprived of his remedy because of the criminal conduct of the owner or driver which caused the plaintiff’s loss or injury”(p. 95). [27] However, important for our purposes, although the claim in MacDonald was not an excess coverage claim, theCourt agreed with the trial judge’s finding with respect to the availability of the s. 2 defence for any claim in excess of the minimumstatutory limit.
On this point, the trial judge held: “It is to be noted that the exclusion of this defence [with reference to the public policyrule], however, is subject to section 211(6) [now s. 250(11)] under which in the case of excess or extended coverage, an insurer isentitled to avail itself of any defence (including the public policy defence) open to it against an insured” (emphasis added; p. 89). [28] Counsel for the appellants relies on the Alberta Supreme Court, Appellate Division, decision in Devlin v. Co-operative Fire and Casualty Co., (AB CA), [1978] A.J.
No. 682 (QL) (C.A.), in support of the position the publicpolicy rule is not a defence for the purposes of s. 250. In ING Insurance Company of Canada v. Harder, 2007 ABQB 63, [2007] A.J. No.106 (QL), the Alberta Court of Queen’s Bench distinguished Devlin on the basis the trial judge’s finding the insured intended to causeloss or damage to the claimants was reversed by the Court of Appeal.
If, as the appellants seem to argue, Devlin is authority for theproposition the public policy rule is not a defence an insurer may set up against a claimant pursuant to s. 250(11), I respectfully disagreeand would note no other court or authority in Canada, to my knowledge, supports that
interpretation. The
interpretation I favour issupported by several Canadian decisions, such as Nelson v. Annan Rest Farms Ltd., [1995] P.E.I.J. No. 88 (QL). [29] With respect to the third ground of appeal, I would simply state my agreement with the application judge that,while s. 2 may not constitute a specific exclusion in the Standard Auto Policy, it is not merely a provision to assist with the
interpretationof a particular exclusion should one exist.
Section 2 is not the fortuity principle, and the application judge did not find that it is. Indeed,she specifically stated s. 2 is not to be conflated with the fortuity principle. As she correctly pointed out at para. 30 of her decision, thedistinction between the two was clearly articulated by Pepall J.A. in Ontario Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals v.Sovereign General Insurance Co., 2015 ONCA 702, [2015] O.J. No. 5492 (QL): The fortuity principle serves as an interpretive aid.
It is a “general principle of insurance law that arises from the very nature and purposeof insurance, namely, that ordinarily only fortuitous or contingent losses are covered by a liability policy”: Hollinger, at para. 16. Theprinciple is based on the notion that insurance makes economic sense where losses are unforeseen or accidental and that it would beundesirable to encourage people to injure others intentionally by indemnifying them for the civil consequences: Non-MarineUnderwriters, Lloyd’s of London v.
Scalera, 2000 SCC 24, [2000] 1 S.C.R. 551, at paras. 68-69. […] The fortuity principle should be distinguished from rules of public policy designed to prevent tortfeasors or criminals from benefittingfrom their own wrongful acts: Hollinger, at para. 21; Beresford v. Royal Insurance Co. Ltd., [1938] A.C. 586 (H.L.). While the fortuityprinciple can overlap with various rules of public policy, the two bodies of law are distinct, since the fortuity principle is an aspect of
contractual
interpretation, rather than a rule of public policy: Hollinger , at para. 16; Beresford , at pp. 594-95 A.C. It is an interpretative aid that is of assistance in interpreting contracts: Scalera , at paras. 67-69 . [Emphasis by the application judge; paras. 43 and 46] [ 30 ] I share the application judge’s conclusion that s. 2 is a rule of public policy and not simply an aid to contractual
interpretation. VI. Disposition [ 31 ] For these reasons, I would dismiss the appeal with one set of costs in the amount of $4,000 payable by the appellants to Pembridge. Version française de la décision de la Cour rendue par LE JUGE LEBLOND I. Introduction [1] Le présent appel porte sur l’interprétation du par. 250(11) de la
Loi sur les assurances , L.R.N.-B. 1973, ch. I-12 (la Loi ). Il soulève en particulier la question de savoir si les moyens de défense qu’il est permis à un assureur d’opposer à un assuré, suivant ce paragraphe, peuvent reposer sur la règle d’ordre public énoncée à l’art. 2 de la Loi .
Les appelantes avancent que l’art. 2 ne crée pas un moyen de défense qui s’offre à l’assureur en application du par. 250(11); l’intimée Pembridge, compagnie d’assurance, soutient le contraire. [2] Le 1 er décembre 2014, l’intimée Bernadette Martin a subi un accident de la route auquel ont eu part Pierrette Landry et certaines autres personnes. La collision a été causée par M me Landry. M me Martin a saisi la Cour du Banc de la Reine d’une requête.
Elle sollicitait d’abord une ordonnance déclaratoire, suivant la règle 27.06(11) des Règles de procédure , constatant que Pembridge était obligée envers l’assurée, la succession de Pierrette Landry, et tenue à sa garantie à hauteur de la limite d’un million de dollars de la police face aux demandes présentées par des tiers, dont M me Martin, par suite de pertes ou de dommages survenus lors de l’accident. [3] M me Martin sollicitait subsidiairement de la Cour, sur le fondement de la règle 16.04e), la précision du montant maximal de la couverture offerte, pour les pertes ou les dommages de tiers, par la police de Pembridge. [4] La juge saisie de la requête a accordé aux appelantes la permission d’intervenir.
La Compagnie d’assurance générale Co-operators assurait M me Martin au moment de l’accident et Unifund Assurance Company assurait un autre demandeur, Donald Rose. Jacqueline Blanchard, troisième des demandeurs, était assurée par Assurance Economical, mais elle et son assureur n’étaient pas parties à la requête.
Co-operators a plaidé, en première instance comme en appel, la thèse qu’elle partage avec M me Martin et Unifund. [5] Dans sa décision publiée au 2021 NBBR 236 , [2021] A.N.-B. n o 278 (QL), la juge saisie de la requête a conclu que Pembridge pouvait se prévaloir des moyens de défense opposables à son assurée, M me Landry, parmi lesquels le moyen de
défense créé à l’art. 2, à l’encontre des tiers demandeurs, Mme Martin, M. Rose et Mme Blanchard, pour la
partie du total de leursdemandes excédant la garantie minimale de 200 000 $ prescrite à l’art. 243 de la Loi (par. 49 et 50). [6] Pour moyen d’appel principal, Co-op et Unifund soutiennent que la juge a commis des erreurs de droit dansson interprétation de l’art. 2 et du par. 250(11) de la Loi. La conclusion voulant que l’art. 2 apporte à Pembridge une défense complète face à son assurée, Mme Landry, n’est pas portée en appel. [7] Je souscris aux conclusions de la juge saisie de la requête.
Je suis d’avis de rejeter l’appel et de condamnerles appelantes à verser à l’intimée Pembridge une seule masse de dépens de 4 000 $. L’intimée Bernadette Martin est assurée par Co-opet, puisqu’elle s’en est tenue, en appel, à continuer de faire sienne la thèse de son assureur, je suis d’avis de ne pas lui accorder de dépenset de ne pas ordonner, non plus, qu’elle en paye. II. Faits [8] Le 1er décembre 2014, Mme Landry a entrepris de se suicider. De propos délibéré, elle a franchi la ligne centrale d’une route pour entrer en collision avec deux véhicules venant en sens inverse, véhicules dont Mme Martin, M.
Rose et Mme Blanchard étaient des occupants. Sa tentative a échoué et elle a été déclarée coupable de l’infraction criminelle de conduite avecfacultés affaiblies ayant causé des lésions corporelles. Elle est décédée en 2019. La juge saisie de la requête a conclu qu’il ne faisait aucun doute que la collision résultait des actions de Mme Landry (par. 35). Elle a conclu en outre que les dommages découlant de l’acte délibéré de Mme Landry ne pouvaient [TRADUCTION] « être qualifiés d’imprévus ou d’inhabituels » (par. 39).
Elle a donc jugé quePembridge n’avait pas à prouver par d’autres moyens l’intention de son assurée de [TRADUCTION] « provoquer une perte ou undommage » à des tiers (par. 36). Encore une fois, je souscris aux conclusions de la juge. Je relève également que, dans leur mémoire, les appelantes concèdent que peut être imputée à Mme Landry l’intention indirecte de causer un préjudice aux occupants des véhiculesqu’elle a heurtés, selon le principe que la Cour suprême a établi dans Co-operative Fire & Cas Co. c.
Saindon, (SCC), [1976] 1 R.C.S. 735, [1975] A.C.S. no 52 (QL). [9] Les trois tiers demandeurs ont intenté à la succession Landry des actions, qui demeurent en instance, en vuedu recouvrement de dommages-intérêts pour les pertes et les préjudices subis. Le quantum total de leurs demandes n’est pas connu, mais il est prévu qu’il excédera 200 000 $. Les trois tiers demandeurs sont assurés par leurs polices types d’assurance automobile (F.T.P. no 1)respectives, qui stipulent au
chapitre A, portant sur la responsabilité civile, une limite d’un million de dollars. Chacune de ces polices estassortie d’un avenant F.A.N.-B. 44 – Assurance familiale qui stipule la même limite d’un million de dollars. [10] Pembridge refuse à la succession Landry l’exécution de garanties de la police pour les demandes de règlement qu’elle pourrait présenter.
Elle oppose une défense aux trois actions intentées à Mme Landry, en conformité avec son obligation de défendre; elle a signifié aux trois demandeurs qu’elle estime ne pas être tenue d’indemniser la succession de Mme Landry, pourl’ensemble des demandes, par-delà la garantie minimale de 200 000 $ prescrite par la Loi. Pembridge assoit cette thèse sur le fait que, au moment de la collision, Mme Landry commettait une infraction criminelle ou contrevenait à une loi en vigueur au Nouveau-Brunswickavec l’intention de provoquer une perte ou un dommage. Les demandeurs ne le contestent pas.
Ainsi, Pembridge invoque la règle d’ordrepublic énoncée à l’art. 2 de la Loi. Elle soutient qu’un assureur peut opposer cet article, en tant que moyen de défense, aux demandes detiers dont le montant excède – en l’espèce pour l’ensemble des demandes – la garantie minimale de 200 000 $ prescrite par l’art. 243 dela Loi.
Elle avance en outre qu’elle peut, par l’effet combiné de l’art. 2 et des par. 250(1), (4) et (11) de la Loi, recourir à ce moyen dedéfense. [11] Il n’est pas interjeté appel de la décision de la juge concluant au droit de Pembridge de se prévaloir de l’art. 2pour refuser d’indemniser sa propre assurée, ou sa succession, des pertes subies.
Les appelantes maintiennent toutefois, comme nousl’avons vu, que Pembridge ne peut opposer ce moyen de défense aux demandes de tiers excédant la limite de garantie de 200 000 $prescrite par la Loi. [12] Vu le moyen de défense avancé par Pembridge, les trois demandeurs ont intenté des actions distinctes à leursassureurs respectifs sur le fondement des dispositions de l’avenant d’assurance familiale (F.A.N.-B. 44) de leurs polices, afin de seprotéger pour le cas où le total des demandes excéderait la limite de garantie prévue par la Loi. [13] La requête a été déposée auprès de la Cour du Banc de la Reine afin que la question soit tranchée avant que
toutes ces actions aient entraîné d’importants frais de justice. III. Moyens d’appel [14] Les appelantes soutiennent que la juge saisie de la requête a commis des erreurs de droit : 1. lorsqu’elle a conclu que la responsabilité de Pembridge se limitait à 200 000 $ en ce qui concerne les tiers demandeurs; 2. lorsqu’elle a conclu que l’art. 2 de la Loi apportait à Pembridge un moyen de défense qu’elle pouvait opposer aux tiers demandeurs; 3. lorsque, à supposer qu’elle ait estimé que le moyen de défense que confère l’art. 2 correspond au principe de fortuité, elle a conclu qu’il était permis de l’invoquer malgré le libellé clair du
chapitre A de la police type d’assurance automobile. IV. Norme de contrôle [15] Les trois moyens d’appel intéressent l’interprétation législative. La norme de contrôle qui s’y applique est celle de la décision correcte. V.
Analyse [16] Je compte examiner ensemble les deux premiers moyens d’appel. [17] Les dispositions pertinentes de la Loi sont les suivantes : Public policy rule 2 Unless the contract otherwise provides, a violation of any criminal or other law in force in the Province or elsewhere does not, ipso facto , render unenforceable a claim for indemnity under a contract of insurance except where the violation is committed by the insured , or by another person with the consent of the insured, with intent to bring about loss or damage ; but in the case of a contract of life insurance this
section applies only to disability insurance undertaken as part of the contract. Insurance money payable to satisfy judgment 250
(1) Any person who has a claim against an insured for which indemnity is provided Règle d’ordre public 2 Sauf dispositions contraires dans le contrat, la violation de toute loi criminelle ou autre, en vigueur dans la province ou ailleurs, ne rend pas ipso facto inexécutoire une demande de règlement aux termes d’un contrat d’assurance, sauf lorsque la violation est commise par l’assuré ou par toute autre personne avec son consentement, avec l’intention de provoquer une perte ou un dommage ; cependant, dans un contrat d’assurance sur la vie, cet
article ne s’applique qu’à l’assurance-invalidité souscrite comme
partie du contrat. Sommes assurées payables pour satisfaire jugement 250
(1) Toute personne qui formule contre un assuré une demande pour laquelle une indemnité est prévue par un contrat constaté
by a contract evidenced by a motor vehicle liability policy, notwithstanding that such person is not a party to the contract, may, upon recovering a judgment therefor in any province or territory of Canada against the insured, have the insurance money payable under the contract applied in or towards satisfaction of his judgment and of any other judgments or claims against the insured covered by the contract and may, on behalf of himself and all persons having such judgments or claims, maintain an action against the insurer to have the insurance money so applied. 250
(4) The right of a person who is entitled under subsection (1) to have insurance money applied upon his judgment or claim is not prejudiced by , (
a) an assignment, waiver, surrender, cancellation or discharge of the contract, or of any interest therein or of the proceeds thereof, made by the insurer after the happening of the event giving rise to a claim under the contract, (
b) any act or default of the insured before or after that event in contravention of this Part or of the terms of the contract, or (
c) any contravention of the Criminal Code ,
chapter C-34 of the Revised Statutes of Canada, 1970, or a statute of any province or territory of Canada or of any state or the District of Columbia of the United States of America by the owner or driver of the automobile , and nothing mentioned in paragraph (a), (
b) or (
c) is available to the insurer as a defence in an action brought under subsection (1) . 250
(11) Where one or more contracts provide for coverage in excess of the limits mentioned in
section 243, the insurer may, (
a) with respect to the coverage in excess of those limits, and (
b) as against a claimant, par une police de responsabilité automobile peut, bien qu’elle ne soit pas
partie au contrat et lorsqu’un jugement dans cette affaire est rendu contre l’accusé en sa faveur dans toute province ou tout territoire du Canada, faire affecter les sommes assurées payables aux termes du contrat à la satisfaction du jugement rendu ainsi que de tous les autres jugements ou demandes contre l’assuré couvert par le contrat et peut, en son nom propre et au nom de toutes les personnes ayant ces demandes ou ces jugements, intenter contre l’assureur une action en vue de faire ainsi affecter ces sommes assurées. 250
(4) Le droit d’un tiers qui peut réclamer en application du paragraphe (1) que les sommes assurées soient affectées au règlement de son jugement ou de sa demande n’est en rien lésé par
a) une cession, un abandon, un rachat, une annulation ou une exécution du contrat, d’un droit dans celui-ci ou de ses bénéfices, effectués par l’assureur postérieurement à la survenance de l’événement provoquant la demande couverte par le contrat,
b) tout acte ou défaut de l’assuré avant ou après cet événement, en violation de la présente
partie ou des termes du contrat, ni
c) toute infraction au Code criminel ,
chapitre C-34 des Statuts revisés du Canada de 1970, aux lois d’une province ou d’un territoire du Canada , ou du district de Columbia ou d’un État des États-Unis d’Amérique, commise par le propriétaire ou le conducteur de l’automobile , et l’assureur ne peut se prévaloir des points mentionnés aux alinéas a),
b) ou
c) comme moyen de défense dans une action intentée en vertu du paragraphe (1) . 250
(11) Lorsqu’un ou plusieurs contrats fournissent une couverture supérieure aux limites mentionnées à l’article 243, l’assureur peut ,
a) relativement à la couverture qui excède ces limites, et
b) à l’encontre d’un demandeur, se prévaloir des moyens de défense qu’il a le
avail itself of any defence that it is entitled toset up against the insured, notwithstandingsubsection (4). (Emphasis added.) droit d’opposer à l’assuré, nonobstant leparagraphe (4). (Le soulignement est de moi.) [18] La police type d’assurance automobile est un contrat d’indemnisation qui lie l’assureur et son assuré. Hormisle cas d’exception suivant, elle n’a pas pour objet d’assurer les tiers demandeurs. Son
chapitre A procure à l’assuré, à hauteur de la limitestipulée, une garantie contre la responsabilité que la loi lui impose pour les pertes ou les dommages causés à des tiers découlant de lapropriété, de l’usage ou de la conduite du véhicule assuré. L’article 243 de la Loi prescrit que le montant de cette garantie est de200 000 $ au moins; le par. 17.1(1) de la
Loi sur les véhicules à moteur, L.R.N.-B. 1973, ch. M-17, exige une garantie d’au moins200 000 $ pour tout véhicule immatriculé au Nouveau-Brunswick. Encore qu’il soit permis d’avancer que cette stipulation bénéficie auxtiers demandeurs, le fait est que la police est proprement un contrat d’indemnisation qui assure son titulaire. [19] Par contre, il est évident que l’avenant F.A.N.-B. 44 est conçu pour procurer au demandeur une assurance quile protégera en cas de perte ou de dommage causé par une personne n’ayant pas souscrit une garantie suffisante au
chapitre A. Cedemandeur peut, dans la mesure où la limite stipulée au
chapitre A de sa propre police excède le montant de la garantie que la partiefautive a souscrite au
chapitre A, obtenir de son propre assureur la différence, en exécution de cet avenant, à hauteur de la limitestipulée. [20] Le droit d’un tiers demandeur d’obtenir une indemnisation de l’assureur de la
partie fautive est régi parl’art. 250 de la Loi. L’article fixe toutefois certaines limites à ce droit. [21] Premièrement, le par. 250(1) prévoit que le demandeur ne peut obtenir une indemnisation de l’assureur qu’àhauteur de la limite de garantie stipulée au
chapitre A de la police de la
partie fautive. En l’espèce, nous l’avons vu, la limite de garantie stipulée au
chapitre A de la police de Mme Landry est de 1 000 000 $. Vu les faits de l’espèce, cependant, l’analyse ne s’arrête pas ici. [22] Il n’est pas contesté que Mme Landry, par sa façon de conduire son véhicule à moteur au moment de l’accident,a contrevenu à la
Loi sur les véhicules à moteur et au Code criminel, ce que la juge saisie de la requête a reconnu. Ces actions ne peuventêtre considérées que comme indicatives d’une intention de causer une perte ou un dommage. Pembridge a donc refusé de reconnaître à Mme Landry, son assurée, le droit de demander une indemnisation, pour le motif que, ayant agi illégalement, elle avait manqué à la règled’ordre public que codifie l’art. 2 de la Loi. Toutefois, suivant le par. 250(4), ces faits ne font pas déchoir les tiers de leur droit d’obtenirune indemnisation de Pembridge en application du par. 250(1).
Sans le par. 250(11), Pembridge ne pourrait opposer aucun de ces faitsaux demandes de tiers fondées sur le par. 250(1).
N’eût été le par. 250(11), l’analyse s’arrêterait ici. [23] Les appelantes avancent que le régime législatif établi par l’art. 250 oblige les assureurs envers les tiers pourtous les dommages découlant de la propriété, de l’usage ou de la conduite d’un véhicule à moteur, y compris les dommages qui découlentd’actes intentionnels de l’assuré, à hauteur du montant entier des limites de garantie prévues par la police de l’assuré, parce que la policetype d’assurance automobile ne stipule aucune exclusion de garantie pour les actes intentionnels.
Cet argument ne tient pas compte del’objet du par. 250(11). [24] Le paragraphe 250(11) (conjointement avec les par. 250(9) et (10)) impose une limite au droit d’obtenir uneindemnisation que reconnaît le par. 250(1). Nonobstant le par. 250(4), il confère à un assureur le droit de refuser de verser à undemandeur toute somme excédant la limite de garantie de 200 000 $ prescrite par l’art. 243, si l’assureur choisit de se prévaloir, àl’encontre du demandeur, des moyens de défense qu’il est en droit d’opposer à son assuré.
Les moyens de défense opposables à undemandeur ne se limitent pas à ceux qui sont énoncés au par. 250(4) : l’assureur peut se prévaloir des moyens de défense, quels qu’ilssoient, qu’il est en droit d’opposer à son assuré. En fait
partie le moyen de défense établi par l’art. 2, dont les appelantes ne contestent pas, encore une fois, que Pembridge peut l’opposer à son assurée, Mme Landry. [25] La décision de la juge saisie de la requête cadre avec l’analyse qui précède et avec l’interprétation que notreCour a donnée de ces dispositions. Dans La Compagnie d’Assurance Générale Co-operators c. Morrison, 2004 NBCA 62, 273 R.N.-B. (2e) 361, affaire portant sur l’obligation de défendre, l’art. 2 entrait en jeu. La Cour s’est reportée à Joachin c. Abel,[2002] O.J.
No. 2869 (QL), décision de la Cour supérieure de l’Ontario confirmée par la Cour d’appel de cette province ( (ON CA), [2003] O.J. No. 1484 (QL) (C.A.)). Il a été jugé dans l’arrêt Morrison que la règle d’ordre public énoncée à l’art. 2 dela Loi enlève à l’assuré, s’il a commis un délit intentionnel en vue de causer une perte ou un dommage, le droit de recevoir uneindemnisation de son assureur (par. 16 et 49). La police type d’assurance automobile est assujettie à la règle d’ordre public énoncée àl’art. 2, puisque cette règle s’applique à tous les contrats d’assurance au Nouveau-Brunswick.
La Cour a jugé que la règle doit être
considérée comme une clause d’exclusion de la police, malgré que la police n’en fasse pas expressément une exclusion (par. 17). [26] La Cour s’était penchée auparavant, dans l’arrêt MacDonald c. Prudential Assurance Co. Ltd. (1972), (NB CA), 4 N.B.R. (2d) 87, [1971] N.B.J. No. 80 (C.S., Div. d’appel) (QL), sur l’intention législative à l’origine dupar. 250(4). Dans cette affaire, l’assuré avait commis, au volant de son véhicule à moteur, une infraction au Code criminel qui avait causéune perte et un dommage au demandeur. Les dispositions de l’actuel par. 250(4) apparaissaient alors à l’al. 211(3)(iii).
La Cour a concluque, à l’égard d’un demandeur, l’objet de cette disposition était le suivant : [TRADUCTION] « Pour garantir que le comportement del’assuré […] ne fasse pas échec à la demande, le législateur a jugé bon d’adopter [le par. 211(3)] » (p. 94).
La Cour a également concluque, par ce texte, [TRADUCTION] « le législateur entendait priver les assureurs de la protection du principe d’ordre public défini àl’art. 2 et garantir que la personne qui formulerait une demande sur le fondement du par. 211(1) [aujourd’hui le par. 250(1)] ne soit pasprivée d’une réparation du fait du comportement criminel du propriétaire ou du conducteur ayant causé la perte ou le dommage » (p. 95). [27] Toutefois, et cette facette de l’arrêt est importante en l’espèce également, la Cour, malgré que la couvertureexcédentaire ne soit pas entrée en jeu dans l’arrêt MacDonald, a fait sienne la conclusion du juge du procès sur l’opposabilité du moyende défense établi par l’art. 2 aux demandes dont le montant excède le seuil fixé par la Loi.
À ce propos, le juge du procès a constaté cequi suit : [TRADUCTION] « Il est à noter que l’exclusion de ce moyen de défense [le moyen que confère la règle d’ordre public] estsubordonnée au par. 211(6) [aujourd’hui le par. 250(11)], qui prévoit que, dans le cas d’une couverture excédentaire ou supplémentaire,l’assureur est en droit de se prévaloir des moyens de défense (dont le moyen de défense reposant sur la règle d’ordre public) qu’il peutopposer à un assuré » (le soulignement est de moi; p. 89). [28] L’avocat des appelantes invoque un arrêt de la Division d’appel de la Cour suprême de l’Alberta, Devlin c.Co-operative Fire and Casualty Co., (AB CA), [1978] A.J.
No. 682 (QL) (C.A.), à l’appui de la thèse voulant que,pour l’application de l’art. 250, la règle d’ordre public ne constitue pas un moyen de défense. Dans ING Insurance Company of Canadac. Harder, 2007 ABQB 63, [2007] A.J. No. 106 (QL), la Cour du Banc de la Reine de l’Alberta a distingué l’arrêt Devlin compte tenu del’infirmation par la Cour d’appel de la conclusion du juge du procès voulant que l’assuré avait eu l’intention de causer une perte ou undommage aux demandeurs.
Si l’arrêt Devlin établit, ainsi que les appelantes paraissent le soutenir, que la règle d’ordre public n’est pasun moyen de défense qu’un assureur peut opposer à un demandeur suivant le par. 250(11), je dois exprimer mon respectueux désaccord.Je ferai observer aussi que, à ma connaissance, aucun autre tribunal ni aucune autre source, au Canada, n’a adopté cette interprétation.Plusieurs jugements canadiens, parmi lesquels Nelson c. Annan Rest Farms Ltd., [1995] P.E.I.J.
No. 88 (QL), ont retenu l’interprétationque je préconise. [29] Pour ce qui est du troisième moyen d’appel, je ne ferai qu’exprimer mon accord avec la juge saisie de larequête : si l’art. 2 ne constitue sans doute pas une clause d’exclusion expresse de la police type d’assurance automobile, il n’est pas pourautant une disposition qui doit simplement servir à l’interprétation d’une clause d’exclusion particulière, s’il en est. L’article 2 necorrespond pas au principe de fortuité et la juge saisie de la requête n’a pas conclu qu’il y correspondait.
Au contraire, elle a affirmé quela règle énoncée à l’art. 2 ne doit pas être assimilée au principe de fortuité. Comme elle l’a indiqué avec justesse au par. 30 de sadécision, la distinction à faire entre la règle et ce principe a été exposée en termes clairs par la juge d’appel Pepall dans Ontario Societyfor the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals c. Sovereign General Insurance Co., 2015 ONCA 702, [2015] O.J. No. 5492 (QL) : [TRADUCTION]Le principe de fortuité sert d’outil d’interprétation.
Il s’agit d’un [TRADUCTION] « principe général du droit des assurances dérivé de lanature et de l’objet mêmes de l’assurance, principe selon lequel, d’ordinaire, seuls les sinistres fortuits ou éventuels sont couverts par unepolice responsabilité civile » (Hollinger, par. 16).
Le principe repose sur deux propositions : l’assurance est justifiée sur le plan financierquand les sinistres sont imprévus ou fortuits, et il n’est pas souhaitable d’encourager les gens à infliger intentionnellement un préjudice àautrui en les indemnisant des conséquences civiles de leurs actes (Non-Marine Underwriters, Lloyd’s of London c.
Scalera,2000 CSC 24, [2000] 1 R.C.S. 551 (C.S.C.) par. 68 et 69). […] Il convient de distinguer le principe de fortuité et les règles d’intérêt public conçues pour empêcher les auteurs de délits ou les criminelsde tirer profit de leurs propres actes fautifs (Hollinger, par. 21; Beresford c. Royal Insurance Co. Ltd., [1938] A.C. 586 (Ch. des lords).
Ilse peut que le principe de fortuité recoupe diverses règles d’intérêt public, mais il s’agit de deux domaines du droit distincts puisque leprincipe de fortuité est un élément de l’interprétation contractuelle, et non une règle d’intérêt public (Hollinger, par. 16; Beresford,p. 594 et 595). Outil interprétatif, il aide à l’interprétation des contrats (Scalera, par. 67 à 69). [le soulignement est de la juge saisie de la requête; par. 43 et 46] [30] Je partage la conclusion de la juge saisie de la requête voulant que l’art. 2 est une règle d’ordre public, et non
un simple outil d’interprétation contractuelle. VI. Dispositif [31] Pour les motifs qui précèdent, je suis d’avis de rejeter l’appel et de condamner les appelantes à verser des dépens de 4 000 $, en une seule masse, à Pembridge.