PANCHALINGAM NAGALINGAM Applicant v. THE MINISTER OF CITIZENSHIP AND, 2012 FC 176
Opinion
Federal Court Cour fédérale Date: 20120229 Docket: IMM-1711-11 Citation: 2012 FC 176 Ottawa, Ontario , February 29, 2012 PRESENT: The Honourable Mr. Justice Russell BETWEEN: PANCHALINGAM NAGALINGAM Applicant and THE MINISTER OF CITIZENSHIP AND IMMIGRATION Respondent AMENDED REASONS FOR JUDGMENT AND JUDGMENT [ 1 ] This is an application for judicial review of the decision of a Minister’s Delegate (Delegate) dated 23 February 2011 (Decision) in which the Delegate found that the Applicant had committed acts of substantial gravity within the meaning of paragraph 115(2) (
b) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (Act). The Decision permits the Applicant’s refoulement to Sri Lanka notwithstanding his status in Canada as a convention refugee. BACKGROUND [ 2 ] The Applicant is a Tamil citizen of Sri Lanka currently living in Canada under house arrest. He is married and has a one- year-old daughter with his wife, Niranjala Rajanayagam (Rajanayagam). He also has a nine-year-old son who lives in Canada with Seuranie Persaud (Persaud) the Applicant’s former common-law wife. The Applicant first entered Canada on 31 August 1994.
At that time, he claimed refugee status under the former Immigration Act . He was recognized as a convention refugee by the Convention Refugee Determination Division (CRDD) without a hearing on 2 March 1995. The Applicant went on to become a permanent resident of Canada on 13 March 1997. [ 3 ] Between 1999 and 2001, the Applicant accumulated four criminal convictions in Canada . He was convicted of assault, failure to comply with a recognizance, and two counts of mischief under $5000.
His conviction for assault was related to an incident at the India Theatre in Toronto where he struck several other people with a meat cleaver during a brawl. The two mischief convictions were related to an incident at the Tamil Community Center, also in Toronto , where the Applicant and two accomplices overturned tables of food, damaged sound equipment, smashed windows and damaged property with metal pipes.
At the time of these incidents the Applicant was a member of the AK Kannan gang in Toronto . [ 4 ] In October 2000, two teenaged men were shot to death while they were sitting in a car in Scarborough, Ontario . The deceased were members of the Sellapu gang, which is affiliated with VVT, a rival gang to AK Kannan. At that time, two witnesses
identified the Applicant to police as one of the gunmen. However, the Applicant was neither charged or convicted of any offence in relation to this incident. [ 5 ] In December 2000, Persaud, the Applicant’s son, and Persaud’s friend were sitting in the Applicant’s car when unknown persons fired several gunshots at the car (Driveway Shooting).
In March 2001 the Applicant was shot six times as he was leaving the Mimico Correctional facility where he was serving an intermittent sentence for his assault conviction (Mimico Shooting). [ 6 ] On 24 August 2001, the Respondent issued a report which alleged the Applicant was inadmissible for involvement in organized criminality, based on his AK Kannan membership. The Applicant was arrested and detained on 18 October 2001 because of the Minister alleged he was a danger to the public and unlikely to attend his admissibility hearing. The Applicant was referred to an admissibility hearing under
section 24 of the former Immigration Act. The Immigration Division of the Immigration and Refugee Board (ID) found on 28 May 2003 that the Applicant was inadmissible to Canada under paragraph 37(1) (
a) of the Act because he was involved in organized criminal activity. On that date, the ID also issued a deportation order against the Applicant. [ 7 ] The Applicant applied for leave and judicial review of the ID’s admissibility decision on 11 June 2003. On 29 June 2004, Justice Elizabeth Heneghan granted leave, and on 12 October 2004, Justice Heneghan dismissed the application for judicial review (see Nagalingam v Canada (Minister of Citizenship and Immigration) 2004 FC 1397 .) [ 8 ] After the Applicant returned to Canada in 2009 (see below) the CBSA scheduled him for removal between 23 and 26 March 2011.
The removal was to be based on the deportation order issued against the Applicant in 2003. The Applicant challenged the continuing force of the 2003 deportation by an application for leave and judicial review dated 15 March 2011. Justice Robert Barnes granted leave on 28 July 2011 and the application is currently before the Court (IMM-1715- 11). [ 9 ] Because the Applicant is a Convention refugee, the Minister or his delegate had to issue a danger opinion against him under subsection 115(2) of the Act in order to return him to Sri Lanka . The Minister first issued a danger opinion under paragraph 115(2) (
b) on 4 October 2005 (2005 Danger Opinion). The Applicant applied for judicial review of that opinion on 25 October 2005. After removal proceedings were initiated by the Respondent in 2005, the Applicant made a motion for a stay of removal in this Court. This motion was denied by Justice Eleanor Dawson on 2 December 2005. [ 10 ] The Applicant then asked the Ontario Court for an injunction to stop his deportation. During that proceeding, the Respondent undertook to assist the Applicant to return to Canada if his application for judicial review of the danger opinion was successful.
Justice Wilson of the Ontario Court of Justice dismissed the motion for a stay on 5 December 2005. The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) removed the Applicant to Sri Lanka on 7 December 2005. [ 11 ] On the day he was returned to Sri Lanka, Sri Lankan authorities detained the Applicant at the Colombo Airport . After interrogating him for a day, they released him. During a visit to his family in Colombo in 2006, the Applicant says that he, his brother, and their friend were surrounded by approximately 25 soldiers while they were out driving. They were released unharmed after being questioned.
Also in 2006, Sri Lankan authorities arrested the Applicant at an army checkpoint because his National ID card showed he was a Tamil from Jaffna . He was detained and interrogated, but was allowed to call a lawyer, and was released after one week. [ 12 ] In a judgment dated 28 February 2007, Justice Michael Kelen dismissed the application for judicial review of the 2005 Danger Opinion ( Nagalingam v Canada (Minister of Citizenship and Immigration ), 2007 FC 229 ). Justice Kelen also certified two questions.
The Applicant pursued an appeal to the Federal Court of Appeal and, on 24 April 2008, the Federal Court of Appeal quashed the 2005 Danger Opinion and remitted the matter to the Minister for reconsideration (see Nagalingam v Canada (Minister of Citizenship and Immigration) 2008 FCA 153 [ Nagalingam FCA] ). [ 13 ] On 16 December 2008, while the Applicant was still in Sri Lanka , the CBSA served him with notice that the Minister intended to seek a new danger opinion under paragraph 115(2) (
b) of the Act . The Minister provided disclosure at this time and invited the Applicant to make submissions. The disclosure package included among its 2,195 pages a statutory declaration from Detective Constable Crisanto Fernandes, a member of the Toronto Police Service.
In this declaration, Detective Fernandes provided a narrative overview of his involvement in the Tamil Task Force – a joint operation of the Toronto, York , Peel and Durham regional police services and the RCMP – and the Applicant’s suspected involvement in gang activities. [ 14 ] The Applicant says that several men came to his house in Sri Lanka early on the morning of 30 January 2009. They banged loudly on his door and, when he answered, the men demanded to see his identification. They blindfolded and handcuffed him and put him in the back of a white van.
He says they detained him for approximately three days and, while he was detained, they shackled him to a hook on the floor of his room, beat him with fists, threw cold water on him at night and tortured him with electric shock.
He says his captors released him on 1 February 2009 with an apology, after they checked with authorities at the Colombo airport and determined that his story was confirmed. [ 15 ] After repeated requests by the Applicant to return him to Canada pursuant to the undertaking the Respondent had given before the Ontario Court of Justice in 2005, the Respondent issued the Applicant a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) in February 2009. On 24 February 2009, the Applicant returned to Canada . The CBSA detained him on arrival and placed him in immigration detention.
He remained in immigration detention until April 2009, when he was released to house arrest. [ 16 ] The Applicant made his initial submissions for the new 115(2)(
b) danger opinion on 7 August 2009. These submissions included an expert report from Professor Anthony Good, a Professor Emeritus in Social Anthropology at the University of Edinburgh. They also included a report from Dr. Gerald M. Devins, a consulting and clinical psychologist and Professor of Psychology and Psychiatry at the University of Toronto, on risk to the Applicant in Sri Lanka .
The Applicant also submitted a statutory declaration (2009 Declaration) and certified copies of notices of complaints his brother had filed with the Committee to Monitor Investigations into Abductions and Disappearances in Sri Lanka (CMIAD) and the Human Rights Commission of Sri Lanka (HRCSL) related to the 30 January 2009 incident. In these submissions, the Applicant asked for the opportunity to cross-examine Detective Fernandes. He also asked for the chance to cross-examine Paranirupan Ariyaratnam (Ariyaratnam), a man who had been interviewed by police in connection with the Mimico Shooting.
[ 17 ] The Applicant also made submissions to the Delegate in December 2010 (2010 December Submissions). He provided the Delegate with a statutory declaration (2010 Declaration), a declaration from Rajanayagam, a supplementary expert report from Professor Good, and some other documents. He also reiterated his objection to Detective Fernandes’ affidavit and noted that the CBSA had not responded to his request to cross-examine Detective Fernandes. [ 18 ] The Applicant made further submissions in January 2011.
These submissions included several emails related to the Applicant’s return to Sri Lanka in 2005, news articles on Tamil gangs in Toronto and his arrest, and a letter from Amnesty International which said that Amnesty International was concerned that the Applicant would be detained and tortured if he were returned to Sri Lanka (Amnesty International Report).
Gloria Nafziger, the Refugee Coordinator at the Toronto office of Amnesty International, wrote the Amnesty International Report. [ 19 ] Prior to making her Decision, the Delegate noted that there was a discrepancy between the Applicant’s PIF, filed in 1994 in support of his refugee claim, and his 2009 Declaration. In the PIF from 1994, the Applicant said he was detained and forced to work by the LTTE on several occasions between 1989 and 1994, before he came to Canada . In the 2009 Declaration, he said he left Sri Lanka for Germany, where he remained until coming to Canada in 1994.
She invited the Applicant to make submissions on this discrepancy, which he did on 15 February 2011. These submissions consisted of a letter from counsel, and another statutory declaration from the Applicant (2011 Declaration). [ 20 ] The Delegate reviewed the materials before her and gave her opinion in the 70-page Decision signed on 23 February 2011. She found that the Applicant could be deported despite subsection 115(1) of the Act and that this would not violate his rights under
section 7 of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms. DECISION UNDER REVIEW [ 21 ] The Delegate began by reviewing the Applicant’s immigration history, his criminal record, and his involvement in organized crime. She noted that this Court had reviewed the Applicant’s involvement in gang activity in Canada (Minister of Citizenship and Immigration) v Nagalingam 2004 FC 1757 [ Nagalingam 2004 FC 1757]. She quoted sections of that decision which indicate the police alleged the Applicant was a member of the AK Kannan street gang.
She also quoted sections of Nagalingam 2004 FC 1757 which referred to the Driveway Shooting, the Mimico Shooting, and the incident at the India Theater. [ 22 ] The Delegate also referred to Nagalingam 2004 FC 1757 and portions of the transcript of an interview between Detective Constable Glen Furlong of the Toronto Police Service, Detective Constable Vernon Ward of the York Regional Police Service (Constable Ward) and Ariyaratnam. In that interview, Ariyaratnam identified the Applicant as a member of the AK Kannan gang.
The Delegate quoted paragraph 9 of Nagalingam 2004 FC 1757 where Justice John O’Keefe wrote that Ariyaratnam knew the Applicant would be shot at Mimico because he had been recruited to carry out the shooting. [ 23 ] The Delegate then noted that the ID found the Applicant inadmissible under paragraph 37(1) (
a) of the Act in 2003. She quoted extensively from that decision in her reasons and reviewed the evidence given at the admissibility hearing by Constable Ward. In his evidence, Constable Ward said that he had been assigned the cases of the Applicant and Persaud. Constable Ward had informed the Applicant about the pending attempt on his life, but noted that the Applicant seemed unconcerned.
The ID noted in 2003 that the transcript of the interview with Ariyaratnam, was the most persuasive piece of evidence in its determination that the Applicant was inadmissible. [ 24 ] The Delegate then quoted at length from the transcript of the Ariyaratnam interview including a discussion about the Applicant’s membership in AK Kannan. The Applicant is also mentioned as a person who scares little people and who tried to beat up Ariyaratnam on one occasion.
The quoted portion also includes a discussion of the circumstances surrounding the Mimico Shooting. [ 25 ] The Delegate noted that the Applicant had applied for judicial review of the ID’s determination that he was inadmissible under paragraph 37(1) (
a) of the Act . She also noted that Justice Heneghan had dismissed the judicial review in Nagalingam 2004 FC 1397 . The Delegate found that the Applicant was still inadmissible under paragraph 37(1)(
a) of the Act. The Original 115(2)(
b) Decision and the Comments of the Federal Court of Appeal [ 26 ] The Delegate also quoted from Nagalingam , above, where the Federal Court of Appeal held that acts committed which support a positive opinion under 115(2)(
b) could be acts which the subject committed himself or acts of a criminal organization in which the subject was complicit. The Federal Court of Appeal also said that when considering liability arising from complicity, delegates must apply Canadian law, including the Criminal Code RSC 1985 c. C-46 (Code) and other federal statutes. The Federal Court of Appeal also noted that paragraph 37(1) (
a) of the Act contained a definition of “organized criminality” that was different from that in subsection 467.1(1) of the Code. Further, the Federal Court of Appeal held that only acts of substantial gravity would meet the threshold required to justify refoulement under
section 115 of the Act. Nature and Severity of the Applicant’s Acts [ 27 ] The Delegate then determined whether the Applicant’s acts were of a nature and severity which would justify refoulement . In doing so, she considered the Applicant’s submissions. In his August 2009 submissions, the Applicant said that his relatively few criminal convictions where not of sufficient severity to meet the threshold established by the Federal Court of Appeal for a positive opinion under paragraph 115(2) (
b) of the Act . He also pointed out that it had been eight years since his last criminal conviction, that his involvement in the AK Kannan gang had only been for four years, and that the gang had been defunct for nearly eight years. The Delegate characterized the submissions in her Decision as the Applicant presenting himself as reformed and no longer a threat to Canadians. [ 28 ] The Delegate also noted the Applicant’s objection to a number of documents that had been disclosed to him by the Minister.
In his submissions, the Applicant said that neither the Project 1050 Overview – a report prepared by Detective Constable Rob Takeda of the Toronto Police Street Violence Task Force – nor the Media Package – a collection of news articles gathered by the CBSA – was evidence because neither was authored or signed. He also said that the Media Package was unreliable and should not be considered.
[ 29 ] The Delegate also noted that the Applicant objected to the police occurrence reports which had been placed before her. He thought that these should be given no weight at all. He similarly objected to the transcript of the Ariyaratnam interview, saying that Ariyaratnam had lied and made statements that were self-serving. [ 30 ] Finally, the Delegate noted the Applicant’s objection to Detective Fernandes’s affidavit.
The Applicant said that Detective Fernandes’s assertions were little more than expressions of opinion. [ 31 ] After reviewing all the Applicant’s objections, the Delegate said she agreed with him that the evidence before her had varying degrees of reliability and that, where she had given more or less weight to pieces of evidence, she had noted this in her reasons.
While the Applicant had indicated that she should given the police occurrence reports no weight, he noted in his submissions that Sittampalam v Canada (Minister of Citizenship and Immigration) 2006 FCA 326 [ Sittampalam FCA] showed that they could be used, so long as they were not used as evidence of an individual’s criminality. [ 32 ] On the Applicant’s objection to the transcript of the Ariyaratnam interview, the Delegate said that the interview had been relied on by the ID at the Applicant’s admissibility hearing in 2003 and that she had no reason to disregard it.
She also noted that the Applicant had made similar objections to the same pieces of evidence at his admissibility hearing and that the ID had carefully reviewed the evidence and found it was reliable. [ 33 ] The Delegate also reviewed the Applicant’s December 2010 submissions in which he said that there were no reasonable grounds to believe that he had committed acts of substantial gravity to justify his refoulement . He said that the affidavit of Detective Fernandes, which was the focus of the CBSA’s case against him, had no probative value because it was neither signed nor commissioned.
The Delegate considered this argument and rejected it, saying that a signed and dated copy had been disclosed to the Applicant with the Minister’s notice of intent to seek an opinion on 16 December 2008. She also noted that Detective Fernandes had been found credible with respect to similar testimony on the activities of the AK Kannan gang at the admissibility hearing of Jothiravi Sittampalam, the leader of the AK Kannan gang.
The Delegate found that she had no reason to doubt Detective Fernandes’s testimony. [ 34 ] The Delegate also noted the Applicant’s objection to portions of the CBSA’s Memorandum to the Delegate in support of the 115(2)(
b) opinion. The Delegate said that she had taken his objections into account, along with the CBSA’s memorandum, in coming to her own conclusion based on the evidence before her. Analysis of the Nature and Severity of the Applicant’s Acts [ 35 ] The Delegate began her analysis of the nature and severity of the Applicant’s past acts by instructing herself on the task before her. She said that it was incumbent upon her to make a fresh determination on the evidence.
She also noted that the standard of proof was low, requiring only that she be satisfied, based on reasonable grounds to believe, that the Applicant’s past acts were substantially grave. [ 36 ] The Delegate found that the ID’s reasons at the admissibility hearing provided a solid account of the oral evidence, written statements, opinions of law enforcement officials and texts referred to. She noted that the Applicant had had the opportunity to provide evidence and to call and cross-examine witnesses at the admissibility hearing.
She found that the ID’s findings of fact were a useful backdrop to her analysis, noting that the Applicant’s application for judicial review of the ID’s inadmissibility finding had been denied. [ 37 ] The Delegate again noted that the evidence before her had varying degrees of reliability and she analyzed it accordingly. Evidence at the Beyond a Reasonable Doubt Standard [ 38 ] The Delegate noted that the Applicant has four criminal convictions, including two for mischief and one for assault.
She reviewed the circumstances of the mischief conviction which is arising from the incident at the Tamil Community Center described above. Other Documentary Evidence [ 39 ] The Delegate again took note of the Applicant’s submission that the only elements of proof she should consider were his criminal convictions. Over this argument, however, she found other facts from other sources were evidence she had to consider. [ 40 ] First, in 1997, a man named Santhirakumar Fernando identified the Applicant as one of three men who knocked on his door and demanded entry.
During the incident, the Applicant was in possession of a handgun. For this incident, the Applicant was charged with, but not convicted of, several offences.
The Delegate based this finding on a supplementary arrest report related to the incident. [ 41 ] Second, the Applicant was an enforcer for AK Kannan who intimidated witnesses in the past, based on a showcase report contained in a supplementary record of his arrest from 22 November 1998. [ 42 ] Third, the AK Kannan gang, of which the Applicant was a member, was known to carry heavy weapons and a store of weapons found behind a gas station was being tested to see if any of the guns were linked to shootings in the Toronto area.
This finding was based on the “Pilot Project Report – Tamil Organized Crime” which was prepared by the Metropolitan Toronto Police Tamil Task Force. [ 43 ] Fourth, Project 1050 was a joint task-force of CIC and the Toronto Police service based on the Project 1050 Overview prepared by Detective Takeda. Project 1050 had targeted the AK Kannan gang. [ 44 ] Fifth, Ariyaratnam had identified the Applicant as someone who scared little people, including Ariyaratnam. He also said that the Applicant would be the subject of an assassination attempt which came about on 5 March 2001 at the Mimico Correctional Center .
Ariyaratnam had said that this assassination attempt was retaliation against AK Kannan. [ 45 ] The Delegate also found that Detective Fernandes had been found reliable by the ID at the admissibility hearing for Jothiravi Sittampalam, the leader of AK Kannan. She then quoted from Detective Fernandes’s declaration which he had provided for the case against the Applicant. Detective Fernandes said that the Applicant was a high-ranking member of AK Kannan and was an enforcer for the gang. He also said that the Applicant was known to intimidate witnesses to prevent them from testifying against gang members.
Detective Fernandes also said that the Applicant was identified as one of the shooters in an incident where two teenaged men were killed in Scarborough , Ontario, even though he was not charged. Detective Fernandes further said that gang members often retaliate and do not often report violence out of fear of reprisal. [ 46 ] The Delegate noted that the Applicant denied any involvement in the shooting of the two teenagers referred to by Detective Fernandes in his declaration. The Delegate said that in the 2010 Declaration the Applicant had said he was at home with his girlfriend at the time of the shooting.
The Delegate found the Applicant’s expression of shock at seeing this allegation in Detective Fernandes’s affidavit was disingenuous because the homicide investigators notes implicated him in the shooting. [ 47 ] The Delegate referred to a number of newspaper articles that told the story of how, on 19 October 2010, officers from the Project 1050 task force arrested 51 people suspected of involvement in AK Kannan and its rival gang, VVT.
She quoted The Toronto Sun as saying that “Among those arrested was AK Kannan boss Panchan Naga… At the time [of the Mimico shooting] detectives said the attack was possibly in retaliation for his alleged link to the murders of Sajeevan Sritharan, 18, and Riskitresan Selvarajah, 17, a year ago.” [brackets in original]. [ 48 ] The Delegate also referred to an exchange from the Applicant’s admissibility hearing where the Applicant had said that he thought the Mimico Shooting occurred because the media misquoted him after he spoke following the Driveway Shooting.
He also said that he asked “why do they kill me?” when Constable Ward told him that there was an assassination attempt plotted against him. Based on this evidence, the Delegate found, on a balance of probabilities, that the Applicant knew the reason he was targeted and that his explanation that he was targeted because he was misquoted was implausible. [ 49 ] The Delegate referred to the ID’s finding that the Applicant was shot in retribution for what he had done to rival gang members.
She quoted the ID’s reasons to this effect and noted that the Applicant had said in his submissions to her that his actions showed only that he was an immature youth with a chip on his shoulder who could not control his anger when he was drunk. The Delegate contrasted this assertion with the CBSA’s characterization of the Applicant as a well-known gang enforcer who was one of AK Kannan’s main decision-makers.
She noted the Applicant’s objection that the CBSA’s memo contained assertions and dramatic hypothesizing, but she found that the conclusions in the memo were a plausible depiction of the Applicant’s actions. [ 50 ] The Delegate then summarized her conclusions on the nature and severity of the Applicant’s acts. [ 51 ] First, she found that he had taken
part in violent assaults as a member of the AK Kannan gang. Her reasonable grounds for this finding were based on the police occurrence reports related to his convictions for assault and mischief. She also based this finding on Ariyaratnam’s statement that the Applicant picked on little people, a statement which the ID had found credible at the Applicant’s admissibility hearing. [ 52 ] Second, the Delegate found that AK Kannan was a gang that had committed serious crimes, including murder.
She did not find that AK Kannan was either a highly organized criminal enterprise or a loose association of youths, the alternative theories which had been advanced by the CBSA and the Applicant, respectively. This conclusion was based in part on an excerpt from Cold Terror , a book written by Stewart Bell of the National Post . [ 53 ] Third, the Delegate found that the Applicant was an enforcer for AK Kannan who had intimidated witnesses.
She said that her reasonable grounds for this belief were based on “police information available at the time,” which included Detective Fernandes’s declaration and a supplementary arrest report from 22 November 1998. [ 54 ] Fourth, the Applicant was targeted twice for assassination by a rival gang. This spoke to the seriousness with which he was pursued by the rival gang. VVT leadership believed he had committed serious acts against them.
The Delegate found that the evidence gave her reasonable grounds to believe that the Applicant knew why he was targeted and that he did not want to share this knowledge with the police. He knew that this evidence revealed that he had been involved in a serious crime. The Delegate based these findings on the evidence given at the Applicant’s admissibility hearing and Ariyaratnam’s statement. [ 55 ] Fifth, the Applicant had been a suspect in a double homicide investigation and could have been prosecuted had witnesses been willing to testify.
She found that notes made by police officers at the same time as the investigation into the shooting indicated that witnesses identified the Applicant as one of two shooters. Though the credibility of these witnesses was not tested and they did not testify at any trial, the Delegate found that unwillingness to testify is a hallmark of Tamil gang members, as described in Cold Terror, above, and in Detective Fernandes’s declaration. [ 56 ] Sixth, the Applicant was a member of AK Kannan from 1997 to 2001. He was an adult and became a father during this period. She referred to an academic
article in the CBSA memo which said that rank-and-file members rarely remained in gangs past their teens but that key members remained into their twenties. The Delegate found that the Applicant’s age while he was a gang member was relevant and revealing of his position in the gang. Conclusions on Nature and Severity [ 57 ] The Delegate concluded that there were reasonable grounds to believe that the Applicant committed violent acts against rival gang members. She found that there was evidence he had personally committed violent acts, including participating in a shooting that resulted in two deaths.
She concluded that there were reasonable grounds to believe that the Applicant’s past acts were serious. He was not a misguided, angry youth, but an enforcer and adult who consciously identified himself with the gang. The Applicant took
part in inter-gang warfare as a member of a gang which is known to have committed murders and possessed firearms. The Applicant’s past acts
were of substantial gravity. Risk on Return to Sri Lanka [ 58 ] Once she had determined that the Applicant had committed acts that were substantially grave, the Delegate turned her attention to the risk he would face if he were returned to Sri Lanka . She noted that paragraph 115(2) (
b) of the Act creates an exception to the general principle of non- refoulement . She also noted that she was required to examine the factors under
section 97 of the Act and that, under paragraph 97(1)( b ), the risk faced by the Applicant must not be one generally faced by people in every part of Sri Lanka . She said that she also took into account the risk of persecution under
section 96 of the Act, though
section 97 was the principal guide to her inquiry. [ 59 ] The Delegate noted that the Applicant had said in his 2009 Declaration that he was born in Jaffna in 1973 and had traveled to Germany to seek asylum in 1989 . His German asylum claim was denied in 1992. She then noted that in his 1994 PIF he had said that he was arrested by the Indian Peace Keeping Force (IPKF) in Jaffna in 1988, taken from his family’s farm in 1991 by the LTTE, and then released after his father paid a bribe. He also said that he had been forced to return to the LTTE camp to work once a month until 1994.
In 1994, he said he had received military training and was threatened with death unless he joined the LTTE. He said that, at that time, he was afraid for his life and so fled to Canada . [ 60 ] The Delegate said that the Applicant had not explained the discrepancy between these two accounts in his initial submissions.
She also noted that she had invited him to make submissions on this issue and that he had replied that he was surprised she was raising the issue, given that CIC had his German Driver’s License since 2001. [ 61 ] The Delegate noted that the Applicant had said in his February 2011 submissions in response to the discrepancy that, when he came to Canada, he had employed a translator who had advised him that his failed asylum claim in Germany would hurt his Canadian claim. He said the translator had invented the story about his troubles with the LTTE between 1988 and 1994.
The Applicant had said that, though the specific events cited in his PIF were untrue, he genuinely feared the IPKF, the LTTE, and the Sri Lankan Army, and it was this fear that had grounded his refugee claim. Submissions on Risk [ 62 ] The Delegate next reviewed the Applicant’s submissions on risk. She noted that his August 2009 submissions referred to his arrests in Sri Lanka in 2006 and the allegation that he was tortured between 30 January and 1 February 2009.
She also noted his reference to Professor Good’s report. [ 63 ] The Delegate quoted at length from the Applicants 2009 statutory declaration in which he described the arrest and torture he experienced in January and February of that year. The Applicant’s account did not strike Professor Good as “unusual, implausible, or at odds with what is generally known about Sri Lanka .” [ 64 ] The Delegate also noted that, in his December 2010 submissions, the Applicant drew attention to a letter written from the Criminal Investigation Division of the Sri Lankan Police to the CBSA in 2008 (CID Letter).
He said that letter was irrefutable evidence that the Sri Lankan Police took the position that he was a member of the LTTE and that AK Kannan was an LTTE Cadre. In those submissions the Applicant also requested an opportunity to cross-examine diplomatic officials who had produced reports included in the package provided to the Delegate by the CBSA, and who said they were unaware of mistreatment of people returning to Sri Lanka from Canada . The Applicant said that objective evidence left no doubt that people like him who were suspected of LTTE involvement were at risk of torture.
The Delegate noted that the Applicant also submitted an updated affidavit, an updated report from Professor Good, the Amnesty International Report, and country condition reports to support his position on risk. Analysis of Risk [ 65 ] The Delegate acknowledged that the Applicant’s refugee claim had been accepted by the CRDD without a hearing in 1995. She found that, although at that time the LTTE was at war with the Sri Lankan government, the north of Sri Lanka is now under government control.
She noted the Applicant’s submission that he would likely be persecuted because he would be identified as a former LTTE member by the authorities in Sri Lanka . The Applicant supported this assertion with country condition evidence and his own past experiences. Country Condition Information [ 66 ] The Delegate examined the Amnesty International Report, which said that In our opinion the CID letter allows [sic] that Mr.
Nagalingam will almost certainly be detained on or shortly after arrival in Sri Lanka, and as such faces a grave risk of arbitrary and incommunicado detention and torture in that country and should not be removed to Sri Lanka . [ 67 ] The Delegate noted that Ms. Nafsziger had not provided any credentials to prove her expertise other than that she was employed by Amnesty International. It was unclear to the Delegate how much of the record Ms. Nafsziger had seen, and she had not identified any sources for her information and opinion. [ 68 ] The Delegate reviewed the two reports provided by Professor Good.
She noted that his 2009 report indicated: that the quality of official record keeping in Sri Lanka is high; that the background of returning asylum seekers was likely known to authorities there; and that Sri Lankan authorities would likely know the Applicant’s background. Professor Good also said in his report that: the law in Sri Lanka allowed arrest and lengthy detention without charge; that torture is routinely used by security forces and goes unpunished; and that abductions and disappearances had been carried out by paramilitary proxies. The Delegate noted that Professor Good’s 2009 report
was inconclusive as to how the defeat of the LTTE by government forces in 2009 would affect the level of risk to returnees. [ 69 ] In his 2010 report, Professor Good said that the Sri Lankan government was actively pursuing those who were suspected of involvement with the LTTE. The Delegate contrasted this report with a quotation from the 5 July 2001 – UNHCR Guidelines on Sri Lanka (UNHCR Guidelines) which said that the Sri Lankan government had relaxed the Emergency Regulations that had permitted some of the more questionable practices.
The UNHCR Guidelines also said that some adults who had been detained for LTTE involvement had been released following completion of rehabilitation programs. The UNHCR Guidelines noted allegations of torture and death of LTTE suspected detainees in prison and that persons suspected of having links to the LTTE may be at risk of persecution in Sri Lanka .
The UNHCR Guidelines also said that links to the LTTE could exclude some people from refugee status, though those same people could be at risk of persecution because of their LTTE membership. [ 70 ] The Delegate found that LTTE involvement was a factor to consider, but that country documentation did not indicate large scale mistreatment of former LTTE affiliates. [ 71 ] The Delegate reviewed the UK Home Office Operation Guidance Note Sri Lanka: August 2009 which indicated that low level supporters of the LTTE would not generally be of interest to the Sri Lankan authorities.
While high-profile LTTE members would be wanted by the authorities, the Delegate found that there was no evidence that the Applicant was such a person. She also referred to the UK Home Office – Country of Origin Information Report for Sri Lanka , dated 11 November 2010 which said that, while many LTTE supporters had been detained in Protective Accommodation and Rehabilitation Centers (PARCS), those with low-level involvement were generally released after completing community reintegration programs. [ 72 ] The Delegate also noted that the Sri Lankan government had instituted a reconciliation commission.
She found, based on an
article from the Integrated Regional Information Networks – a news service of the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs – that a trend of Sri Lankan refugees returning home had developed. She found that the Tamil diaspora believed there was increasing normalcy and stability in Sri Lanka and that the likelihood of persecution had decreased. The Applicant’s Past Experiences [ 73 ] The Delegate found that the Applicant had spent the period from 2005 to 2009 in Sri Lanka practically without incident.
She referred to his interview at the Canadian High Commission in Colombo in 2008, where he said he had been arrested and released after two weeks in 2006. At that interview, he also said that, apart from this arrest and detention, he had not been jailed or severely mistreated. He said that he was tortured at a camp in Jaffna before he came to Canada . The Delegate noted that the High Commission did not issue a Temporary Resident Permit immediately after the interview as it determined that further checks were needed.
She also noted that the Applicant had been served with a notice of the Minister’s intent to seek a new 115(2)(
b) decision on 23 January 2009 and that, on 9 February 2009, he told officers at the High Commission about his alleged abduction and beating. For the Delegate, the timing of his latest allegation of mistreatment gave rise to credibility concerns. She examined a medical report from Dr.
Ellawalla, a Consultant Trauma and Orthopedic Surgeon at the Asiri Central Hospital in Colombo , which said that the Applicant had soft tissue contusions on his shoulder and wrist and that X-rays did not show any bone injuries. [ 74 ] The Delegate also quoted from the CID Letter which said that On Interrogation [the Applicant] admitted committing the following crimes in Canada : 1) Assaulting a security officer on duty at a cinema hall in Canada 2) creating a commotion and causing damages to a restaurant in 1999 3) being a member of LTTE cadre, AK Kannan’s group The letter also said that there were no records showing that the Applicant was a member of “Vambottas Gang.” [ 75 ] The Delegate considered the fact that the Applicant’s alleged abduction between 30 January and 1 February 2009 took place after he was served with notice of the Minister’s intent to seek a new 115(2)(
b) decision. She reiterated the fact that he had been living in Sri Lanka for several years without incident prior to this event. The Delegate noted that the Applicant misrepresented himself in 1994 and also misrepresented himself at the 2008 interview at the High Commission in Colombo when he said he had been tortured before coming to Canada .
She based this finding on the Applicant’s 2011 Declaration, where he said that he had been repeatedly approached by the LTTE to join them before he came to Canada . [ 76 ] The Delegate found that the Applicant was not credible and had lied about being tortured on two previous occasions when it served his purposes. She found it highly plausible that whatever happened to him between 30 January 2009 and 1 February 2009 did not involve torture. Not only was the Applicant not credible, but he had a strong interest in building a case for the new 115(2)(
b) determination. The Delegate also found that the medical officer who examined the Applicant ten days after his alleged abduction and
beating – Dr. Ellawalla – did not conclude that his injuries were consistent with his story of torture. She did, however, accept that this could have happened and that, according to Professor Good, this was not impossible in Sri Lanka .
In a footnote to the Decision, the Officer made an alternative finding: if the Applicant had not been detained and tortured, there was no risk to him of further detention and torture. [ 77 ] The Delegate reasoned that, because record keeping by the Sri Lankan authorities was meticulous, according to Professor Good, the fact that the Applicant had been arrested and released indicated that he was not of interest to those authorities.
The Delegate concluded that, on a balance of probabilities, the Applicant was not likely to be tortured, or to face cruel or unusual treatment or punishment, or be killed on return to Sri Lanka . Conclusion on
Section 96 Risks [ 78 ] The Delegate noted that Tamils from northern Sri Lanka continue to be treated with suspicion by the authorities. Though there were reports of harsh treatment of those suspected of LTTE involvement, the possibility of such treatment did not amount to prima facie recognition of Tamils from the North as convention refugees. She concluded that there was no more than a mere possibility that the Applicant would face persecution if refouled. Humanitarian & Compassionate Factors [ 79 ] After her conclusions on the risks faced by the Applicant on return to Sri Lanka , the Delegate analyzed the Humanitarian and Compassionate (H&
C) factors that were part of the balancing process she had to conduct. Applicant’s Submissions [ 80 ] The Delegate noted that in his August 2009 submissions the Applicant had drawn attention to his efforts to re-establish his relationship with his son, which had been severed by his deportation in 2005. He also said that Canada was the only place he would have a future because he would either face torture and death or have to live in hiding in Sri Lanka . In his December 2010 submissions the Applicant said he was married and had a 3-month-old daughter.
Though he was not living with his wife and daughter, the Children’s Aid Society (CAS) having intervened because of concerns about his fitness as a parent, the Applicant and his wife were before the family courts to try to change that. Analysis of H&C Factors Establishment [ 81 ] The Delegate found that the Applicant had little financial or community establishment because he had been under house arrest since 2009 and had been in detention from 2001 to 2005, when he was deported. Family in Canada and Abroad [ 82 ] The Delegate noted that the Applicant lives with his two brothers and his parents.
The psychological report from Dr. Devins indicates that, though he is in regular contact with his two sisters in Sri Lanka , phone calls to them made him feel bad and he felt guilty about the separation. The same report also indicated that he had a loving relationship with his fiancée (now his wife). The Applicant and his wife had never lived together and they had married only one month before the birth of their daughter. [ 83 ] Though the Applicant had strong affection for his Canadian family, the Delegate found that his most recent stay in Canada – beginning with his return in 2009 – had been brief.
Consequently, though there would be hardship for all concerned if he were removed, this separation could not have been unanticipated. Further, the family could keep in contact through visits and phone calls. Best Interests of the Children [ 84 ] In the 2010 Declaration, the Applicant said he wanted to live with his wife and daughter. He also said that he wanted to rebuild his relationship with his son, Nicholas.
The Delegate noted, however, that the Applicant had indicated he had had practically no contact with Nicholas and that it was unclear what contact he had had with his daughter. [ 85 ] The Delegate found that there was little on which to base a finding that Nicholas would be adversely affected by the Applicant’s removal. She found that his daughter would be detrimentally affected by his separation from his wife, but that this was tempered by the fact that the Applicant was apart from his daughter because of CAS intervention.
She found that his wife and daughter could relocate to Sri Lanka to be with him or take holidays there. Psychological Condition [ 86 ] The Delegate quoted several paragraphs of a letter from Dr. Devins’s report which concluded that the Applicant would suffer
extreme and irreparable psychological harm if returned to Sri Lanka . The Delegate found that this conclusion was beyond the expertise of the psychologist and that this report was based on a single interview. She noted that there was no evidence the Applicant had sought counseling on his own.
Though the psychologist prescribed freedom from deportation to recover his mental health, this was not a consideration that weighed heavily in his favour General Situation in Sri Lanka [ 87 ] The Applicant’s village in Sri Lanka was in some disorder following the end of the conflict between the LTTE and Sri Lankan government forces. The Delegate found, however, that Sri Lanka was headed in the right direction and, though he would experience a time of transition, this would not amount to significant hardship to the Applicant.
Balancing and Decision [ 88 ] The Federal Court of Appeal held in Nagalingam FCA , above, at paragraph 45 that the Delegate must balance the nature and severity of the acts committed or of the danger to the security of Canada against the degree of risk, as well as against any other humanitarian and compassionate considerations [ 89 ] The Delegate reiterated her conclusions that the Applicant had committed past actions that were substantially grave and that he would be unlikely to face torture in Sri Lanka . These pointed toward refoulement.
She was not satisfied that the hardship the Applicant and his family would face sufficiently counter-balanced the nature and severity of his past acts. [ 90 ] The Delegate found that the Applicant could be deported despite subsection 115(1) of the Act , since this would not violate his rights under
section 7 of the Charter . ISSUES [ 91 ] The Applicant raises the following issues: 1) Whether the Delegate breached his right to procedural fairness by:
a) denying him the opportunity to cross examine Detective Fernandes;
b) failing to provide him with adequate reasons;
c) following a procedure that breached the duty of fairness; 2) Whether the Delegate’s conclusion on the nature and severity of his past acts was unreasonable because she:
a) found him responsible for acts which he was not convicted of;
b) relied on non-conviction evidence;
c) failed to identify which Criminal Code offences he had committed; and
d) did not base her finding on all of the evidence before her; 3) Whether the Delegate’s assessment of the risk he would face on return to Sri Lanka was unreasonable because she:
a) ignored or misunderstood evidence going to his abduction in 2009;
b) made a finding of fact that was speculative;
c) ignored or unreasonably dismissed the expert evidence he submitted. STANDARD OF REVIEW [ 92 ] The Supreme Court of Canada in Dunsmuir v New Brunswick , 2008 SCC 9 held that a standard of review analysis need not be conducted in every instance. Instead, where the standard of review applicable to a particular question before the Court is well-settled by past jurisprudence, the reviewing court may adopt that standard of review.
Only where this search proves fruitless must the reviewing court undertake a consideration of the four factors comprising the standard of review analysis. [ 93 ] In Canadian Union of Public Employees (C.U.P.E.) v Ontario (Minister of Labour) 2003 SCC 29 the Supreme Court of Canada held that the standard of review with respect to questions of procedural fairness is correctness. Further, the Federal Court of Appeal in Sketchley v Canada (Attorney General) 2005 FCA 404 at paragraph 53 held that the “ procedural fairness element is reviewed as a question of law. No deference is due.
The decision-maker has either complied with the content of the duty of fairness appropriate for the particular circumstances, or has breached this duty.”
[ 94 ] The opportunity to cross-examine witnesses is a procedural choice that engages the right to procedural fairness (see Gagliano v Canada (Commission of Inquiry into the Sponsorship Program and Advertising Activities, Gomery Commission) 2008 FC 981 and Beno v Canada (Attorney General) 2002 FCT 142 ) Further, in Tahmourpour v Canada (Solicitor General) 2005 FCA 113 , the Federal Court of Appeal held at paragraph 7 that A reviewing court owes no deference in determining the fairness of an administrative agency’s process: Canadian Union of Public Employees v.
Ontario (Minister of Labour) , [2003] 1 S.C.R. 539 , 2003 SCC 29 , at para. 100 . Nonetheless, the court will not second guess procedural choices made in the exercise of the agency’s discretion which comply with the duty of fairness. The standard of review in this case on issues 1(
a) and 1(
c) is correctness. [ 95 ] In Dunsmuir , above, at paragraph 59 , the Supreme Court of Canada held that Administrative bodies must also be correct in their determinations of true questions of jurisdiction or vires .[…] true jurisdiction questions arise where the tribunal must explicitly determine whether its statutory grant of power gives it the authority to decide a particular matter . Whether the Delegate had the authority to make a finding of criminal culpability is a true question of vires , so the standard of review with respect to issue 2(
a) is correctness. [ 96 ] As the Supreme Court held in Dunsmuir (above, at paragraph 50 ). When applying the correctness standard, a reviewing court will not show deference to the decision maker’s reasoning process; it will rather undertake its own analysis of the question. The analysis will bring the court to decide whether it agrees with the determination of the decision maker; if not, the court will substitute its own view and provide the correct answer. From the outset, the court must ask whether the tribunal’s decision was correct. [ 97 ] Issue 2(
b) engages issues of admissibility of evidence. As the Supreme Court of Canada held in R v Fanjoy , [1985] SCJ No 55 at paragraph 9 , the admissibility of evidence is a question of law. In Dunsmuir at paragraph 60 , the Supreme Court of Canada also held that questions of law within the expertise of the decision maker will generally be reviewable on a standard of reasonableness. The Immigration and Refugee Board has expertise in questions of credibility and entering evidence, so the standard of review with respect to issue 2(
b) is reasonableness. [ 98 ] Whether making a determination under paragraph 115(2) (
b) requires a Minister’s delegate to find that the subject of that decision committed specific offences calls for the delegate to interpret the words “on the basis of the nature and severity of acts committed” in that paragraph. As the Supreme Court of Canada held in Dunsmuir , above, at paragraph 60 , a decision-maker’s
interpretation of its enabling statute will generally be given deference. The Delegate in this case is empowered to act by subsection 6(1) of the Act , so, in interpreting 115(2)( b ), she is interpreting her enabling statute. The standard of review on issue 2(
c) is reasonableness (see also Smith v Alliance Pipeline Ltd. 2011 SCC 7 at paragraph 28 and Celgene Corp. v Canada (Attorney General) 2011 SCC 1 at paragraph 33 .) [ 99 ] Issues 2(
d) and 3(
a) through (
c) all involve factual findings by the Delegate. In Nagalingam FCA , above, at paragraph 32, the Federal Court of Appeal held that the findings of fact of a Minister’s delegate under subsection 115(2) were to be afforded deference. The standard of review on these issues is reasonableness. [ 100 ] In Newfoundland and Labrador Nurses’ Union v Newfoundland and Labrador (Treasury Board) 2011 SCC 62 , the Supreme Court of Canada held that the adequacy of reasons is not a freestanding ground for quashing a decision (see paragraph 14).
The reviewing Court is to examine the reasons along with the outcome to determine if the Decision is within a range of possible, acceptable outcome. [ 101 ] When reviewing a decision on the standard of reasonableness, the analysis will be concerned with “the existence of justification, transparency and intelligibility within the decision-making process [and also with] whether the decision falls within a range of possible, acceptable outcomes which are defensible in respect of the facts and law.” See Dunsmuir , above, at paragraph 47 , and Canada (Minister of Citizenship and Immigration) v Khosa, 2009 SCC 12 at paragraph 59 .
Put another way, the Court should intervene only if the Decision was unreasonable in the sense that it falls outside the “range of possible, acceptable outcomes which are defensible in respect of the facts and law.” STATUTORY PROVISIONS [ 102 ] The following provisions of the Act are applicable in this proceeding:
(1) A permanent resident or a foreign national is inadmissible on grounds of organized criminality for (
a) being a member of an organization that is believed on reasonable grounds to be or to have been engaged in activity that is part of a pattern of criminal activity planned and organized by a number of persons acting in concert in furtherance of the commission of an offence punishable under an Act of Parliament by way of indictment, or in furtherance of the commission of an offence outside Canada that, if committed in Canada, would constitute such an offence, or engaging in activity that is part of such a pattern; … 115.
(1) A protected person or a person who is recognized as a Convention refugee by another country to which the person may be returned shall not be removed from Canada to a country where they would be at risk of persecution for reasons of race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group or political opinion or at risk of torture or cruel and unusual treatment or punishment. (2) Subsection (1) does not apply in the case of a person … (
b) who is inadmissible on grounds of security, violating human or international rights or organized criminality if, in the opinion of the Minister, the person should not be allowed to remain in Canada on the basis of the nature and severity of acts committed or of danger to the security of Canada. 37.
(1) Emportent interdiction de territoire pour criminalité organisée les faits suivants :
a) être membre d’une organisation dont il y a des motifs raisonnables de croire qu’elle se livre ou s’est livrée à des activités faisant
partie d’un plan d’activités criminelles organisées par plusieurs personnes agissant de concert en vue de la perpétration d’une infraction à une loi fédérale punissable par mise en accusation ou de la perpétration, hors du Canada, d’une infraction qui, commise au Canada, constituerait une telle infraction, ou se livrer à des activités faisant
partie d’un tel plan; … 115.
(1) Ne peut être renvoyée dans un pays où elle risque la persécution du fait de sa race, de sa religion, de sa nationalité, de son appartenance à un groupe social ou de ses opinions politiques, la torture ou des traitements ou peines cruels et inusités, la personne protégée ou la personne dont il est statué que la qualité de réfugié lui a été reconnue par un autre pays vers lequel elle peut être renvoyée.
(2) Le paragraphe (1) ne s’applique pas à l’interdit de territoire : …
b) pour raison de sécurité ou pour atteinte aux droits humains ou internationaux ou criminalité organisée si, selon le ministre, il ne devrait pas être présent au Canada en raison soit de la nature et de la gravité de ses actes passés, soit du danger qu’il constitue pour la sécurité du Canada.
ARGUMENTS The Applicant The Delegate Erred in her Assessment of Nature and Severity [103] The Applicant first notes that the Delegate found she could rely solely on the acts he personally committed to find that he couldbe refouled under paragraph 115(2)(
b) of the Act. He challenges this finding on several grounds. The Delegate Erred by Finding the Applicant Responsible for Acts of which he had not Been Convicted [104] The Applicant says that immigration officers do not have the jurisdiction to make findings of criminal culpability. When theDelegate found that he had participated in a shooting that resulted in two deaths and had committed violent assaults, she made a findingof criminal culpability and so exceeded her jurisdiction.
The Delegate Erred by Relying on Detective Fernandes’s Affidavit [105] The Applicant argues that the Delegate breached his right to procedural fairness when she denied him the opportunity to cross-examine Detective Fernandes on his declaration. It is a general principal of the common law that any party to a proceeding has the rightto cross-examine the other parties’ witnesses. He says that this principal applies to administrative tribunals.
He relies on Innisfil(Township) v Vespra (Township), (SCC), [1981] 2 SCR 145 for the proposition that the adversarial system requirescross-examination where rights of citizens are involved and that citizens have the right to a full hearing. [106] In R v Darrach 2000 SCC 46, the Supreme Court of Canada held that the lack of cross-examination substantially reduces theprobative value of an affidavit. He says that his rights to life, liberty, and security of the person were at stake in this case so he shouldhave been given the opportunity to cross-examine Detective Fernandes.
The Delegate Improperly Relied on Police Occurrence Reports and Non- Conviction Evidence [107] The Applicant quotes from Bertold v Canada (Minister of Citizenship and Immigration), (FC), [1999] FCJNo 1492 where Justice Francis Muldoon said at paragraph 49 that Since the charges are, at most, some prosecutor's allegations, one wonders what precisely is the weight they import, if any? Unresolved,they cannot impugn the applicant's character or credibility.
Reference to such charges was inadmissible. [108] Veerasingam v Canada (Minister of Citizenship and Immigration) 2004 FC 1661 stands for the proposition that a withdrawncharge, without more, may not be relied on by the ID.
The Applicant also says that La v Canada (Minister of Citizenship andImmigration) 2003 FCT 476 is authority for the proposition that outstanding criminal charges are irrelevant and should not beconsidered. [109] The Applicant also quotes from Sittampalam FCA where the Federal Court of Appeal held at paragraph 50 that The jurisprudence of this Court indicates that evidence surrounding withdrawn or dismissed charges can be taken into consideration at animmigration hearing.
However, such charges cannot be used, in and of themselves, as evidence of an individual’s criminality. [110] The prohibition on relying on criminal charges extends to police occurrence reports and other non-conviction evidence. Whenshe relied on the notes of the homicide investigator and Ariyaratnam’s statement, the Delegate made a reviewable error. The Delegate Failed to Identify the Acts the Applicant Committed [111] In the alternative to the above arguments, the Applicant argues that delegates are obligated to identify which specific criminaloffences they find the subject of a 115(2)(
b) opinion has committed. Delegates must make findings that both the mens rea and actus reus elements of those offences are satisfied in order to find a person can be refouled under paragraph 115(2)(b).
[ 112 ] In Nagalingam FCA, the Federal Court of Appeal said that, when examining complicity in acts of substantial gravity under paragraph 115(2) ( b ), delegates must refer to Canadian law, including the definition of party liability in the Criminal Code . The Applicant says this means that, though it is within the delegates’ jurisdiction of a delegate to find personal commission of acts of substantial gravity, that determination must be based on Canadian criminal law. The acts of substantial gravity must be clearly identified Criminal Code offences and delegates must find that subjects of 115(2)(
b) opinions committed the actus reus and had the requisite mens rea . [ 113 ] In this case, the Delegate failed to identify the specific offences she found the Applicant had committed. It was not enough for her to find that he had participated in violent assaults or the shooting of two teenagers. These acts could support a number of different criminal code offences and it was incumbent on the Delegate to identify which offence she found the Applicant had committed.
This was a breach of the Applicant’s right to procedural fairness because it amounts to a failure to provide adequate reasons; the reasons are inadequate in this case because they prevent a court from reviewing the reasonableness of the Decision on this point. The Delegate Erred in Interpreting Paragraph 115(2)(b) [ 114 ] The Delegate found that the assaults and participation in a shooting were acts of substantial gravity that justified refouling the Applicant to Sri Lanka . The Applicant says that, in so finding, the Delegate erred in her
interpretation of paragraph 115(2)(
b) because these acts do not meet the threshold of substantial gravity required under that paragraph. The Applicant again refers to Nagalingam FCA in which the Federal Court of Appeal quoted from an academic text which said that The text of Article 33(2) makes it clear that it is only convictions for crimes of a particularly serious nature that will come within the purview of the exception.
This double qualification- particularly and serious - is consistent with the restrictive scope of the exception and emphasizes that refoulement may be contemplated pursuant to this provision only in the most exceptional of circumstances. Commentators have suggested that the kinds of crimes that will come within the purview of the exception will include crimes such as murder, rape, armed robbery, arson, etc. [italics in original] [ 115 ] The Applicant admits that he was convicted of assault, but says he was not convicted of murder, so his acts do not meet the threshold of substantial gravity.
The Delegate’s Finding on Risk was Unreasonable The Delegate Erred in her Treatment of the Evidence of Torture [ 116 ] The Applicant says that the Delegate ignored evidence related to his abduction in January/February 2009, the complaints his brother filed with the HRCSL and the CMIAD, and a newspaper
article about his abduction. He says that the Delegate examined three factors in assessing his account of torture: the timing of the incident; his misrepresentation in 1994 and Dr. Ellawalla’s lack of conclusion that his injuries were consistent with his story. The Delegate’s finding that what he said happened to him could have happened is unclear so she breached his right to procedural fairness by failing to make a clear finding of fact with respect to his story of abduction and torture.
The Delegate Made Findings of Fact that were Speculative [ 117 ] The Applicant says that he emphasized the CID Letter in his December 2010 submissions. He also says that he provided Professor Good’s report and the Amnesty International Report in January 2011. Both of these expert reports show that their authors were aware of the events surrounding his story of torture. The Delegate does not cite any evidence for her conclusion that the events of 2009 and the CID Letter show he is not at risk of torture.
The Delegate also does not say why she disagrees with the conclusions of Professor Good so the finding he is not at risk of torture is based on pure conjecture. The Delegate Failed to Consider the Expert Evidence [ 118 ] The Applicant notes that both the Amnesty International Report and Professor Good’s reports conclude that he is at risk of arbitrary detention and torture. However, the Delegate did not weigh this evidence.
She simply dismissed the Amnesty International Report based on its author’s lack of credentials and ignored Professor Good’s reports. [ 119 ] The Delegate was under a duty to explain how she reached a conclusion contrary to the evidence of the expert reports. If she believed she should not consider the expert evidence, she was under a duty to explain that conclusion. Since she did not, the Delegate’s reasons were inadequate and breached the Applicant’s right to procedural fairness. The Delegate Provided Inadequate Reasons [ 120 ] Although the Delegate’s reasons are long, they are not adequate.
The Applicant notes that reasons must set out findings of fact and address the major points in issue. The Delegate did not do this, so her reasons are inadequate and in breach of the Applicant’s right to procedural fairness. The Procedure Employed was Unfair [ 121 ] The Applicant says that he has concerns about the objectivity and independence of the Delegate. He says that the procedure employed in coming to an opinion under paragraph 115(2)(
b) is flawed and breaches his rights under the Charter . The Respondent
The Delegate Properly Assessed the Applicant’s Acts [122] In Sittampalam v Canada (Minister of Citizenship and Immigration) 2007 FC 687 [Sittampalam FC], this Court rejected theproposition that only criminal convictions can be considered when determining whether a person is inadmissible under paragraph37(1)(
a) of the Act. At paragraphs 35 through 37 of Sittampalam FC, Justice Judith Snider wrote that However, even more responsive to this argument, are the opinions of the Federal Court and the Federal Court of Appeal in Sittampalam Iand Sittampalam II. I turn to the comments of Justice Hughes in Sittampalam I, at para. 35 where he stated: I do not read the Member’s Report at pages 53 and following under the heading “Criminality” as giving improper weight to charges laidor contemplated to be laid but which never went forward.
These circumstances are mentioned in the Report but only in the context of adetailed consideration as to the circumstances themselves that were behind the charges or contemplated charges. It was thesecircumstances and not the charges or contemplated charges that supported the Member’s findings that there were reasonable grounds forfinding that section 37(1)(
a) of IRPA applied. The Court of Appeal confirmed this point in Sittampalam II, at paragraphs 50-51 where that Court stated as follows: The jurisprudence of this Court indicates that evidence surrounding withdrawn or dismissed charges can be taken into consideration at animmigration hearing. However, such charges cannot be used, in and of themselves, as evidence of an individual’s criminality: see, forexample, Veerasingam v. Canada (M.C.I.) (2004), 2004 FC 1661 , [2004] F.C.J. No. 2014, 135 A.C.W.S. (3d) 456 (F.C.T.D.)at para.11; Thuraisingam v.
Canada (M.C.I.) (2004), 2004 FC 607 , 251 F.T.R. 282 (T.D.) at para. 35. In this regard, I agree with the Judge that the Board did not rely on the police source evidence as evidence of the appellant’s wrongdoing.Rather, he considered the circumstances underlying the charges and contemplated charges -- including the frequency of the appellant’sinteractions with the police and the fact that others involved were often gang members -- to establish that there are “reasonable groundsto believe”, a standard that is lower than the civil standard, that the A.K.
Kannan gang engages in the type of activity set out in paragraph37(1)(a).” In my view, in the present application, we have exactly the same evidence of the police incidents being put to substantially the same useas was done by the Board in reaching the conclusion on inadmissibility. If reliance in that manner by the Board, in the context of theinadmissibility determination, was acceptable to the Courts in Sittampalam I and Sittampalam II, it is certainly acceptable in the contextbefore me. [123] The same principle applies to a determination under paragraph 115(2)(
b) of the Act, so it was proper for the Delegate toconsider non-conviction evidence. [124] The Delegate also addressed the lack of cross-examination of Detective Fernandes when she said Counsel notes that Detective Fernandes’ [sic] affidavit contained in “RD9 was unsigned and undated. However, the same affidavit with asignature and date was disclosed to counsel earlier with the Notice dated December 16, 2008.
I also note that Detective Fernandes [sic]testifed at the Admissibility Hearing of Jothiravi Sittampalam/Sittambalam and was found to be a credible witness by the ImmigrationDivision member – and that he testifed on similar subjects (his familiarity with AK Kannan and their activities). I have no reason toquestion Detective Fernandes [sic] credibility. [125] The Delegate based her Decision on several pieces of evidence, only one of which was Detective Fernandes’s affidavit.
Shenoted that he was found to be a credible witness at the Applicant’s admissibility hearing and she had no reason to doubt his credibility.There is no evidence the Delegate put too much or too little weight on this affidavit [126] The issue for this Court to decide is whether there was any evidence rationally capable of supporting the Delegate’s finding thatthere were reasonable grounds to believe the Applicant participated in a violent attack that resulted in two deaths.
Since there wasevidence in the form of witness statements to police, Ariyaratnam’s statement, and the retaliatory shootings, the Delegate’s finding wasreasonable. The Delegate Properly Assessed Risk [127] The Delegate gave several reasons why she did not accept that he was tortured by the Sri Lankan authorities in 2009. Sheconsidered the timing of the alleged incident, the Applicant’s history of misrepresentation, and Dr. Ellawalla’s report.
Against these, theDelegate balanced Professor Good’s reports, which said that the Applicant’s alleged experience was not unusual or implausible for SriLanka. [128] The two complaints that the Applicant submitted, one filed with the HRCSL and one filed with the CMIAD, are of lowprobative value. All that they show is that someone purporting to be the Applicant’s brother filed two complaints. They do not show thatthe Applicant was actually tortured. [129] The Delegate considered the CID Letter and Professor Good’s reports when she found the Applicant was at a low risk of tortureon return.
Though the Applicant was interrogated in 2005, which was referred to in the CID Letter, the Applicant was not mistreated and
was released. He claims he was picked up and tortured on a tip in 2009, but he also says that he was released with an apology. The Respondent says that it its unlikely the police would apologize to a former member of an LTTE cadre; it was not unreasonable for the Delegate to find the Applicant was not at risk from the Sri Lankan authorities. [ 130 ] The Delegate did not ignore the Amnesty International Report. It was proper for the Delegate to examine the credentials provided by Gloria Nafziger, the author of the letter, as well as the sources she consulted.
It was therefore reasonable for the Delegate to place little weight on this report, given the results of her inquires. [ 131 ] The Delegate properly considered Professor Good’s reports and balanced them against the UNHCR and UK Home Office reports which were available to her. The Delegate’s Reasons are Adequate [ 132 ] The Delegate used straightforward logic to put the expert reports and the CID letter into perspective. The parties do not dispute that the Sri Lankan authorities know who the Applicant is, which is all that the CID letter shows.
Further, Professor Good said that the Sri Lankan authorities keep meticulous records of detentions and interrogations. There was sufficient evidence for the Delegate’s conclusions, and she clearly articulated her rationale in her reasons. What the Applicant disagrees with is the final Decision, not the reasons themselves. The Applicant’s Reply Non-conviction Evidence [ 133 ] The Applicant says that the Respondent’s reliance on Sittampalam FC (above) is misplaced.
In Sittampalam FC , the Minister’s delegate considered whether a convention refugee who had been found inadmissible for serious criminality and organized criminality under paragraph 37(1) (
a) of the Act was also a danger to the public under paragraph 115(2) ( a ). Justice Snider held that the delegate was only permitted to rely on non-conviction evidence to establish broader patterns of behaviour. In Sittampalam FC , Justice Snider quoted from the decision of the Federal Court of Appeal in Sittampalam FCA 326, where Justice Linden wrote at paragraph 50 that The jurisprudence of this Court indicates that evidence surrounding withdrawn or dismissed charges can be taken into consideration at an immigration hearing.
However, such charges cannot be used, in and of themselves, as evidence of an individual’s criminality… [ 134 ] Had the delegate in Sittampalam FC found that the convention refugee had committed specific acts based on the non-conviction evidence, Justice Snider would have found that this was an error [ 135 ] The present case is not like Sittampalam FC because the Delegate was not looking at organized criminality. In her Decision, the Delegate said that she found the Applicant could be refouled based on acts that he had committed personally.
When she found that the Applicant had committed these acts, she relied on dismissed and withdrawn charges and other non-conviction evidence. This was the error cautioned against in Veerasingam , above, and Thuraisingam v Canada (Minister of Citizenship and Immigration) 2004 FC 607 . Cross-examination of Detective Fernandes [ 136 ] The Applicant says that the Respondent has not addressed his argument that he was denied procedural fairness when the Delegate refused to allow him to cross-examine Detective Fernandes on his affidavit.
Though the Delegate found Detective Fernandes was credible, this is no answer to a breach of procedural fairness. There was No Evidence the Applicant Participated in the Scarborough Shooting [ 137 ] The only evidence that could possibly link the Applicant to the shooting of two men in Scarborough in October 2000 were the statements of rival gang members given to the investigating police officers. These statements were before the Delegate as double- hearsay, as they were introduced into evidence through the affidavit of Detective Fernandes.
Further, any link between the Mimico shooting and the Driveway Shooting was pure conjecture. There was insufficient evidence to raise even reasonable grounds to believe that the Applicant had participated in this shooting. [ 138 ] The Respondent has not answered the Applicant’s argument that the Delegate was required to find that he committed the actus reus and had the requisite mens rea of specific Criminal Code offences in order to find that he had committed acts of substantial gravity.
Analysis of Risk was Unreasonable [ 139 ] In her analysis of risk, it was appropriate for the Delegate to approach the Applicant’s allegation that he was arrested and tortured in early 2009 with caution. However, the Delegate was obligated to make a finding on the evidence before her, which she did not do.
What the Delegate actually did was set out to diminish the value of the evidence before her, piece by piece. [ 140 ] Though the Applicant admitted in his 2011 Declaration that he lied on his PIF in 1994, this was an insufficient basis for the Delegate to find that his account of torture was not credible, especially since his allegation was corroborated by other evidence. The Delegate also ignored Dr. Devins’s psychological report which discussed the post-traumatic symptoms the Applicant suffered after he was tortured in 2009.
Further, the Delegate improperly dismissed the human rights complaints the Applicant’s brother filed, saying that they did not prove that the torture took place. [ 141 ] Though the Delegate was entitled to weigh each piece of evidence before her, she had a duty to assess the impact of all the evidence globally, which she did not do. This renders her approach to the analysis of risk perverse and capricious.
The Delegate Ignored the Expert Reports [ 142 ] When the Delegate drew her conclusion that the Applicant was no longer of interest to the CID, she did so contrary to the explicit findings of Professor Good and Amnesty International. Since she was not making the same finding as the experts, the Delegate was under a duty to explain why she thought they were wrong about the continuing risk to the Applicant. Rather than engaging with the expert reports as she was required to do, the Delegate dismissed both of these reports out of hand. ANALYSIS General [ 143 ] This is the second time that an opinion by a delegate of the Minister that the Applicant can be refouled under paragraph 115(2) (
b) of the Act has come before this Court for judicial review. [ 144 ] Justice Kelen dismissed the Applicant’s application for judicial review of the 4 October 2005 opinion of the Delegate, but the Federal Court of Appeal quashed Justice Kelen’s decision and the delegate’s opinion. [ 145 ] In the course of rendering its decision in Nagalingam FCA, above, the Federal Court of Appeal provided extensive guidance to delegates who are called upon to render an opinion under paragraph 115(2) (
b) of the Act . Although Nagalingam FCA dealt with complicity under paragraph 115(2) ( b ), the following points made by the Court are, in my view, important for the application presently before m e: 12 The relevant provisions of the Convention Relating to the Status of Refugees , July 28, 1951, [1969] Can. T.S. No. 6 (the Convention) are as follows:
Article 1. - Definition of the term “refugee” ... F. The provisions of this Convention shall not apply to any person with respect to whom there are serious reas