NADINE KAMDEM LIPDJIO Applicant v. THE MINISTER OF CITIZENSHIP, 2011 FC 28
Opinion
Federal Court Cour fédérale Date: 20110112 Docket: IMM-2177-10 Citation: 2011 FC 28 [UNREVISED CERTIFIED ENGLISH TRANSLATION] Ottawa, Ontario , January 12, 2011 PRESENT: The Honourable Mr.
Justice Scott BETWEEN: NADINE KAMDEM LIPDJIO Applicant and THE MINISTER OF CITIZENSHIP AND IMMIGRATION Respondent REASONS FOR JUDGMENT AND JUDGMENT [ 1 ] This is an application for judicial review pursuant to subsection 72(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act , S.C. 2001, c. 27 (the Act), of a decision by the Refugee Protection Division of the Immigration and Refugee Board (the panel) dated March 30, 2010, that the applicant is not a Convention refugee or a person in need of protection under the Act.
Facts [ 2 ] The applicant is a citizen of Cameroon who claims to have a well-founded fear in her country by reason of her sexual orientation. [ 3 ] At the age of 17, she gave birth to her son after she had been raped. She allegedly became a lesbian following this trauma. [ 4 ] Her problems result from events that occurred in the night of August 3 to 4, 2008. She allegedly went to a lesbian club with her spouse, Ghislaine Péhou. During the evening, she found her spouse kissing a person named Sandrine. A fight followed, which caused physical damage to the night club.
The applicant allegedly managed to flee with the help of a security guard before the police could intervene.
[ 5 ] She then went to her apartment, took clothing and money and hid in an inn. She then took steps to find a safe haven, after a friend informed her that her spouse had been arrested without a warrant. [ 6 ] She left Cameroon on August 7, 2008, with the help of a smuggler and arrived in Canada on August 8, via Paris , using false identity documents, which the smuggler took back. She filed her claim for refugee status on August 22, 2008, because she was waiting for her own identity documents before doing so.
Impugned decision [ 7 ] The panel found that the applicant was not credible and that her story was a complete fabrication for the sole purpose of obtaining refugee status. Issues [ 8 ] This application for judicial review raises the following issues: 1. Did the panel err in arguing that it had a specialized knowledge of homosexuality? 2. Did the panel err in finding that the applicant was not credible? Analysis A. Standard of review [ 9 ] Questions of fact and questions of mixed fact and law are reviewable according to the reasonableness standard ( Dunsmuir v New Brunswick , 2008 SCC 9 , [2008] 1 SCR 190 ).
Where the issue is credibility and assessment of the evidence, it is well established that the Court will intervene only if the decision is based on an erroneous finding of fact made in a perverse or capricious manner or without regard for the evidence ( Aguebor v Canada ( Minister of Employment and Immigration ), (1993), 160 NR 315 , [1993] FCJ No 732 (QL) , at para 4 (FCA) ). Questions of procedural fairness are reviewed on a standard of correctness ( Ha v Canada ( Minister of Citizenship and Immigration ), 2004 FCA 49 , 3 FCR 195 ). B.
The panels specialized knowledge of homosexuality [ 10 ] In his memorandum, counsel for the applicant pointed out the panels failure to comply with
section 18 of the Refugee Protection Division Rules , which provides that the panel is obliged to give the applicant advance notice of its intention to use information or an opinion that is within its specialized knowledge. It reads: Before using any information or opinion that is within its specialized knowledge, the Division must notify the claimant or protected person, and the Minister if the Minister is present at the hearing, and give them a chance to (
a) make representations on the reliability and use of the information or opinion; and (
b) give evidence in support of their representations. [ 11 ] As stated by Justice Campbell in Isakova v Canada ( Minister of Citizenship and Immigration ), 2008 FC 149 , [2008] FCJ No 188 (QL) , at paragraph 16 : The purpose of Rule 18 is to enable a claimant to have notice of the specialized knowledge and to give him or her the opportunity to challenge its content and use in reaching a decision. Therefore, in order for Rule 18 to be effective, the RPD member who declares specialized knowledge must place on the record sufficient detail of the knowledge so as to allow it to be tested. That is, the knowledge must be quantifiable and verifiable.
[12] Justice Teitelbaum in Mama v Canada (Minister of Employment and Immigration) (1994), 51 ACWS (3d) 128, 1994 FCJ No1515 (QL), stated at paragraph 21 that unverifiable personal knowledge does not qualify as specialized knowledge: The applicant submits (and I agree), that the personal and professional experiences of the Board members, the full extent of which wasunclear, hardly justified their claim to specialized knowledge. The Board did not purport to take judicial notice of any facts with respectto European border controls and there was no evidence whatsoever before it as to the efficacy of these. [13] Counsel for the applicant alleges that the panels error is a breach of the rules of natural justice and provides a basis for hisapplication for review given that, first, the procedure provided under
section 18 of the Refugee Protection Division Rules was notfollowed and, second, that the panel erred by relying on its non-existent specialized knowledge. [14] At the beginning of the hearing, counsel for the respondent admitted the panels error concerning its specialized knowledge.However, she argued that such an error is not always fatal and that the applicants credibility remained tainted by the numerouscontradictions found in her testimony. [15] Counsel for the respondent relied principally upon NSungani v Canada (Minister of Citizenship and Immigration), 2004 FC1759, 22 Admin LR (4th) 225, at paragraphs 25, 26, 32 and 33 and on Jarada v Canada (Minister of Citizenship and Immigration), 2005FC 409, [2005] FCJ No 506 (QL), at paragraph 22. [16] It is true that in the cited decisions, the error with respect to specialized knowledge did not lead to setting aside the panelsdecision.
However, Justice Tremblay-Lamer noted at paragraph 32 of NSungani, cited by the respondent, that: In my view, the principal established in Yassine, supra, stands with a caveat taken from Hu, supra: provided credibility determinationswere properly arrived at, and wholly determinative of the application, then the Mobil Oil, supra, exception can be invoked to deny a newhearing, assuming there is no reason to suspect that the specialized knowledge in dispute in any way shaped the Boards credibilityfindings. [The decisions cited in this excerpt are the following: Yassine v Canada (Minister of Citizenship and Immigration) (1994), 172NR 308, 27 Imm LR (2d) 135; Hu v Canada (Minister of Citizenship and Immigration), 2003 FCT 603, 4 Admin LR (4th) 296; Mobil OilCanada Ltd. v Canada-Newfoundland Offshore Petroleum Board, (SCC), [1994] 1 SCR 202.] In the case before us, it is apparent from reading the decision that the panels error with respect to its specialized knowledge did indeedlead it to make the finding it did.
In fact, at the outset the panel refused to believe that the applicant was a lesbian because she discoveredher sexual orientation following a rape, rather than admitting that it was innate. [17] This Court is not able to agree with the respondents position. Here it is interesting to recall what Justice Teitelbaum wrote inCortes v Canada (Minister of Citizenship and Immigration), 2009 FC 583, [2009] FCJ No 734 (QL), at paragraph 36: In my opinion, the specialized knowledge relied on in this case was mischaracterized.
Here, the decision maker drew on the specializedand general knowledge it had acquired over the years to point out to the applicant that this was the first time it had heard such anargument and that its professional knowledge and experience in cases from Mexico demonstrated the contrary. The knowledge relied onin this case was neither quantifiable nor verifiable. [18] This Court shares that opinion in this case, since the opinion expressed by homosexuals who have testified before theCommissioner that their homosexuality is innate is neither verifiable nor quantifiable.
Therefore, the panel erred by relying on an allegedspecialized knowledge. C. Applicants credibility [19] The respondent noted in his memorandum that the panels statement as to its specialized knowledge was not determinative ofor central to the decision, but that the decision relied more on the applicants lack of credibility. [20] A reading of the decision and the hearing transcript shows that the panel first confronted the applicant with its specializedknowledge without giving her prior notice or informing her that it would take this knowledge into consideration.
It immediately calledinto question the very basis of the claim, i.e. the applicants homosexuality.
[ 21 ] This error goes to the heart of the issue and this Court cannot agree with the respondents position that this statement was neither determinative of nor central to the decision. [ 22 ] In its decision, the panel then focused on what it considered to be significant contradictions in finding that the applicant was not credible. It relied on separate contradictions related to inconsistencies in specific dates. [ 23 ] At the hearing, counsel for the respondent pointed out six contradictions that would affect the applicants credibility.
She primarily relied on the applicants testimony with respect to the exact moment when she allegedly began having relations with her spouse, then on the inconsistencies with respect to the date of her mothers death and the precise date when she began working for her girlfriend Ghislaine and finally on the lack of effort to maintain contact with her since she arrived in Canada. Upon reading the transcript, it is clear that there are no inconsistencies in the applicants testimony with respect to when she began having sexual relations with her spouse.
However, the error in the exact year of her mothers death and the exact date that she began working for her spouse must be recognized. In our opinion, the panels position on the innate nature of homosexuality directly affected the entire assessment of the applicants credibility. [ 24 ] In her affidavit, the applicant submits that she was very upset after having been confronted by the panel with respect to the innate nature of homosexuality.
This confrontation allegedly reduced her ability to concentrate. [ 25 ] Therefore, this Court finds that the application for judicial review must be allowed because the panels error with respect to its specialized knowledge goes to the heart of the issue and because its finding on the applicants credibility, in its entirety, is a direct result of it, thus rendering this decision patently unreasonable.
Neither party proposed a question for certification and I see none. [ 26 ] For all these reasons, this application for judicial review is allowed, and the matter is referred back to a differently constituted panel for reconsideration and redetermination. No question is certified. JUDGMENT THE COURT ORDERS AND ADJUDGES that 1. The application for judicial review is allowed; 2. The case is referred back to a differently constituted panel for redetermination; and 3. No question is certified. André F.J. Scott Judge Certified true translation Catherine Jones, Translator FEDERAL COURT SOLICITORS OF RECORD
DOCKET: IMM-2177-10 STYLE OF CAUSE: NADINE KAMBEM LIPDJIO v. THE MINISTER OF CITIZENSHIP AND IMMIGRATION PLACE OF HEARING: Montréal, Quebec DATE OF HEARING: December 14, 2010 REASONS FOR JUDGMENT: SCOTT J. DATED: December 17, 2010 APPEARANCES : Pierre Langlois FOR THE APPLICANT Emilie Tremblay FOR THE RESPONDENT SOLICITORS OF RECORD : Pierre Langlois Montréal, Quebec FOR THE APPLICANT Myles J. Kirvan Deputy Attorney General of Canada Montréal, Quebec FOR THE RESPONDENT