RANFERY ALBERTO MIRANDA RAMOS Applicant v. THE MINISTER OF CITIZENSHIP AND, 2011 FC 298
Opinion
Federal Court Cour fédérale Date: 20110310 Docket: IMM-4263-10 Citation: 2011 FC 298 Ottawa , Ontario, March 10, 2011 PRESENT: The Honourable Mr. Justice Simon Noël BETWEEN: RANFERY ALBERTO MIRANDA RAMOS Applicant and THE MINISTER OF CITIZENSHIP AND IMMIGRATION Respondent REASONS FOR JUDGMENT AND JUDGMENT [ 1 ] The Applicant, a citizen of Mexico , was denied asylum by the Immigration and Refugee Board (IRB), by way of a written decision dated June 17, 2010.
The Applicant was not found to be a Convention refugee or a person in need of protection under sections 96 and 97 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act , SC 2001, c 27 (IRPA). Leave was granted on December 2, 2010. [ 2 ] In its decision, the IRB related the main facts of the case and stated the applicable law. It was determined that the sufficiency of state protection was the determinative question in the application. The IRB ruled that the Applicant had not provided clear and convincing evidence that the state of Mexico could provide adequate protection.
The IRB took issue with certain omissions and facts of the case in order to conclude that it did not believe that one of the claimants abductors was part of a police force and that his brother-in- law had paid his ransom. Also, the IRB recognized the Applicants psychiatric report to the effect that he had Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, but noted that he could receive treatment in Mexico .
Finally, articles that were deemed poorly translated were not given much weight. [ 3 ] The Applicant contests the IRBs decision on the grounds of a faulty analysis of state protection requiring the intervention of this Court. The Applicant indicated that the presence of a typo was an indication that the Applicants case had not been duly analyzed (a she was used in the IRBs decision, with reference to the male applicant). Also, pursuant to case law, only in situations where state protection is reasonably forthcoming should the Applicant be required to approach the state.
It is alleged that the IRB failed to properly assess the evidence before it, including the current country conditions in Mexico in respect to impunity and corruption. [ 4 ] The Respondent contends that the IRBs decision was reasonable and that, pursuant to the principles of judicial review, the
Court should not intervene. The IRBs assessment of the evidence was reasonable. Also, the Respondent argues that credibility findingswere made, and that these should not be reviewed by the Court. I. Standard of Review [5] The Court agrees with the Respondent when it is noted that the IRB made credibility findings.
These findings were implicitin the IRBs refusal to consider the Applicants evidence and to deem it not to be persuasive. [6] These are reviewable on the standard of reasonableness (Pushpanathan v Canada (Minister of Citizenship andImmigration), (SCC), [1998] 1 SCR 982; Vega Zarza c Canada (Citoyenneté et Immigration), 2011 CF 139; Ranu vCanada (Citizenship and Immigration), 2011 FC 87).
The question of the IRBs assessment of the evidence is a mixed question of factand law to be reviewed on the reasonableness standard (Dunsmuir v New Brunswick, 2008 SCC 9; Garcia Bautista v Canada(Citizenship and Immigration), 2010 FC 126; Flores Campos v Canada (Citizenship and Immigration), 2010 FC 842). The Court is thusasked to consider whether the decision falls within the range of acceptable outcomes defensible in fact and law. II. Analysis [7] The impugned decision is not reasonable. The underlying credibility assessment is flawed, as it ignores the evidence putbefore the IRB.
The Courts intervention is warranted as the credibility finding was made without regard to the evidence (Kengkarasa vCanada (Citizenship and Immigration), 2007 FC 714). [8] As noted, the IRB made a credibility finding when it noted that it did not believe that the Applicants abductors were policeofficers. One core element of this finding was that there is no indication in the claimants original or amended Personal Information Formthat one of his abductors was the police commander of Acapulco or that any of his abductors were police officers.
In fact, the PIF clearlyindicates that the kidnappers work for the police. This was further detailed at the hearing. Furthermore, the Applicants narrative alludesto the fact that he was held captive in a police station. It just may be that the IRB did not find the Applicant credible on all accounts. Butto do so, the IRB has the obligation to address the evidence on the file, in this case, the Applicants PIF. It is clear that credibility findingsare not to be based on an erroneous
interpretation of the evidence (Aguebor v Canada (Minister of Employment and Immigration), (1993)160 NR 315 (FCA); Osawaru v Canada (Minister of Citizenship and Immigration), 2005 FC 1270). [9] The IRBs conclusion in regards to the payment of a ransom by the Applicants brother-in-law is also unreasonable. The IRBnoted that it was not persuaded that a ransom was paid for the claimants release. In fact, the Applicant noted that at the very least, hisabductors had kept his vehicle as part of the ransom (p 23 of the Transcript, at line 45).
Also, the Applicants brother-in-laws role in thenegotiation of the ransom was detailed and dealt with during the hearing. As such, the IRBs conclusion is unreasonable, as it does notaddress a key component of the evidence, or at the very least, does not explain why the evidence was not considered (Cepeda-Gutierrez vCanada (Minister of Citizenship and Immigration), (1998) (FC), 157 FTR 35 (FCTD)). [10] Thus, it can be said that the IRBs credibility findings were unreasonable as they did not meaningfully address elements of theevidence and were made on false premises.
As mentioned earlier, the credibility finding, at least in the way that it was rationalized bythe IRB, was not supported by the evidence. It is thus logical that findings that stem from this credibility finding be found unreasonableas well. As I have indicated previously, and as dictated by common sense, credibility findings are at the core of the IRBs work and aredeterminative issues (Umubyeyi v Canada (Citizenship and Immigration), 2011 FC 69; Ortez Villalta v Canada (Citizenship andImmigration), 2010 FC 1126). Surely, if the IRB does not find an Applicant credible, the rest follows as a matter of course.
In QuinteroCienfuegos v Canada (Citizenship and Immigration), 2009 FC 1262, at para 25, Justice Shore noted that the negative credibility findingis determinative per se, and the failure to prove that it is unreasonable is sufficient to defeat this application.
In the case at bar, theApplicant has shown that the credibility finding is unreasonable and thus, the application is allowed. [11] The Court notes the important comments made by the Court in Cepeda-Gutirriez, above, when it was said that: On the other hand, the reasons given by administrative agencies are not to be read hypercritically by a court (Medina v. Canada(Minister of Employment and Immigration) (1990), 12 Imm.
L.R. (2d) 33 (F.C.A.)), nor are agencies required to refer to every piece ofevidence that they received that is contrary to their finding, and to explain how they dealt with it (see, for example, Hassan v. Canada(Minister of Employment and Immigration) (1992), 147 N.R. 317 (F.C.A.) () However, the more important the evidence that is notmentioned specifically and analyzed in the agency's reasons, the more willing a court may be to infer from the silence that the agencymade an erroneous finding of fact "without regard to the evidence": Bains v.
Canada (Minister of Employment and Immigration), (1993),63 F.T.R. 312 (F.C.T.D.). In other words, the agencys burden of explanation increases with the relevance of the evidence in question tothe disputed facts. Thus, a blanket statement that the agency has considered all the evidence will not suffice when the evidence omittedfrom any discussion in the reasons appears squarely to contradict the agency's finding of fact.
Moreover, when the agency refers in somedetail to evidence supporting its finding, but is silent on evidence pointing to the opposite conclusion, it may be easier to infer that theagency overlooked the contradictory evidence when making its finding of fact.
[ 12 ] Evidently, the Court must be mindful of the applicable standard of review, that of reasonableness. This does call for deference, and the comments in Cepeda-Gutierrez warn against hypocritical analysis of the IRBs decisions. However, when the reasons clearly make findings that run counter to the evidence (perhaps the most important in this respect is the finding in regards to the PIF), the Courts intervention is warranted. [ 13 ] It is clearly within the IRBs jurisdiction to make credibility findings. In fact, it is trite to state the IRBs privileged role to do so.
However, these findings must be justified and explained in the reasons. This is required not only by procedural fairness, but also by the reasonableness standard of review, whereby reasons are to be scrutinized just the same as outcomes ( Dunsmuir v New Brunswick , 2008 SCC 9 , at para 47 ). [ 14 ] As such, the matter is to be sent for redetermination by a newly constituted panel of the IRB. [ 15 ] No question is certified. JUDGMENT THIS COURTS JUDGMENT is that the application for judicial review is allowed. The matter is to be sent for redetermination by a newly constituted panel of the IRB.
No question is certified. Simon Noël Judge FEDERAL COURT SOLICITORS OF RECORD DOCKET: IMM-4263-10 STYLE OF CAUSE: RANFERY ALBERTO MIRANDA RAMOS V THE MINISTER OF CITIZENSHIP AND IMMIGRATION PLACE OF HEARING: Toronto, Ontario DATE OF HEARING: March 2, 2011
REASONS FOR JUDGMENT AND JUDGMENT: NOËL S. J. DATED: March 10, 2011 APPEARANCES : Alesha A. Green FOR THE APPLICANT Margherita Braccio FOR THE RESPONDENT SOLICITORS OF RECORD : Alesha Green Barrister & Solicitor Toronto, Ontario FOR THE APPLICANT Myles J. Kirvan Deputy Attorney General of Canada Toronto, Ontario FOR THE RESPONDENT